Speaker 1: Hi everyone, I'm Rachel Zoe. When you're listening to Climbing in Heels for your weekly dose of glamour, inspiration and fun. I am so excited for this episode today because the brilliantly talented designer who is co creative director at the Helm of Oscar de Lorenta and Monsee is on the podcast. Fernando Garcia entered the fashion world after studying architecture and within six years went from intern to senior designer at Oscar Delarenta. His success with creating Monse with co founder Laura Kim seems to be just the tip of the iceberg of what is to come for this fashion genius. I am such a fan of Fernando and his work, and I'm so excited to share his story so far with all of you. So let's jump in with my very dear friend, my love, Fernando. So I probably should set this up for a second and basically tell you that you are the third ever male to grace the pod, and I feel like climbian.
Speaker 2: Hills against males, you know a lot. No, I'm just kidding. I'm actually kidding, you know. I love men.
Speaker 1: I like good men, great men, and I have been surrounded by many in my life, and you know, I started climbing in heels because in fact, apropos of that, I have actually been surrounded by more great men than great women in my life who have been supportive of me throughout my career, and climbi in heels is really just a way to celebrate and pay it forward to so many of the incredible women that I have in my life and men, and really talk about the insane journeys to get to actually the And you are very young.
Speaker 2: And you are at the top.
Speaker 1: I know you wouldn't say you're at the top, and every day you say, oh my god, I can't breathe.
Speaker 2: You have no idea what could happen?
Speaker 3: You know, the core of me still I feel blessed.
Speaker 2: But I would say to that that.
Speaker 1: I think part of what makes you so successful is not taking for granted what's actually happening to you in real time. Yeah, but I want to talk first about how you even got to be Fernando, because you were interning for someone that you are now at the helm of the brand of one of my favorite human beings, Oscar de la Rena, the King.
Speaker 3: You're like raising up to that moment to be completely transparent. That's why when when we met, I felt like we missed out on ten years of friendship before because I was right there with you in sentiment with all of the moments that you and Ascar created together.
Speaker 1: I really was I, which is so wild because you never said anything, You never said anything like what I was.
Speaker 3: I was a wide eyed intern. I was dell War's product to the max. And in terms of soaking everything in and accepting that this is the world of people that are trade blazers and what they do is how they function. Oscar and me met in two thousand and nine, and because I came from the Dominican Republic.
Speaker 2: They also where he's from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Rainiery family is the family that founded Puncha Khana. Whoever knows Puncha Khana knows the Rainiery families legacy. They are some like they're one of the most hard working people I know in this entire planet, and they still are. And in the nineties, my dad and them and Frank the founder were very close and they grow up together and they were like, you know, heartbreaking spirits. And so when I went to Notre Dame to study architecture, I said to my dad, because I was obsessed with everything that elder old dads was doing and tom Ford an Oscar. I was like, you know what, I follow this world so much. I know that you want me to come back home to do the hardware company that you founded, but I want to give this one shot. And my dad said, I'm only letting you connect to the Rainiery family, meaning the Winter Comma founders the moment you have actual time to give to them instead of just like, you know, a summer here. So in a way, my dad was like stalling it. See if I like, which is.
Speaker 1: Like like stopped thinking, like just kidding, this is yah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then I didn't. I didn't like take that, and so I decided, okay, here's why diploma. I was top four another name. I'm very proud about that.
Speaker 2: That's insane. By the way, I am very proud about that.
Speaker 3: I was a straight a student to get.
Speaker 1: You know, so you're gorgeous and smart.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll say this, I'm much more hard working than smart, but I definitely felt the need to, you know, come to New York, New York City with something that I loved in more than life and still do. And then This was a great like meeting of the two dreams that I had to be in New York City and to live the dream of being and a team of creative thinkers and the Auscarople are into team. And when I met him, imagine me now you know me, yes, imagine me at twenty years old. I'm thirty eight now and showing up to OSCARS. Hou was in Punta Kana with a stack of my engineering and architecture and construction notebook textbooks, where I doodled in the back of all of them and said, this is all I know, and he just took one of them right from the tip, one, two, and then he pushed all of them aside. I think that now looking back, he basically summarized what I knew from a few sketches, which I can I can do today now with my experience from some of the sketches that I see from new designers that company when I work in our team, I understand the person the aspirations from a few sketches. But at that time I didn't know anything. I didn't know that he could figure that out in the second and so when I let him do that, he took two seconds to look at it, and then he pushed everything aside, and I was like, oh, I think I I think I don't have the job because he just like push everything to the side.
Speaker 2: It's like and that's enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so what he proceeded to do because he just had a gut instinct about me, he was like, Oh, this girl Laura, Laura is somebody that I think you should meet. She is very hard working, She's been with me for a long time, she is very talented, and she is running my studio right now. And I was just like, in my head the first time I need to ask her, I'm like, I think I want to hear more about you, like watching He spent the entire thirty minutes at her first meeting talking about Laura, and so I was just like, oh, this is interesting. So but he had something in his head about yeah, yeah, of course in Laura.
Speaker 2: He was like putting you together as like a doo.
Speaker 3: So he did. And so when I went to meet my father after the meeting, he was like, oh, Fernando, I think he should come intern with me. And so I went to New York City like the week after that, and I met Laura and Laura and I fell in love and worked together forever and ever.
Speaker 2: I cannot believe that. So and what's wild.
Speaker 1: I was just telling Mary, my producer, that the very last time I saw Oscar, you told me last year that you were there. The very last time I saw him. It was at his final show at the studio like that you know that building I think on forty second right between the that's mine, yes exactly.
Speaker 3: Our company took over that place and out of fun, we took the under construction moved into introducing our run way shows in there. But then we kept the venue after the office for fully finished, so our showroom will like we sell our clothes.
Speaker 4: Became our actual runway her mother, which was like very interesting and fascinating because all of the teams had to like take up their desks really and about with a runway show right through there, and the next day the buyers would come and it would be like a little bit of a like weird vibe because like everybody's unsettled, like.
Speaker 1: Right, of course, it's like the morning after the party.
Speaker 2: Basically, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: It was like, yeah, but I remember that night more than anything because the show I think was like at five o'clock and I was at my studio doing fittings, and I had like twenty models coming in for castings because my show is the next morning. And I remember looking at this girl on my team I'm still very close with, and I looked at her and I said, I have to go. She said, what do you mean you have to go. You can't go. There's twenty girls coming, you have all these finnings, we have tailors. I was like, I have to go. Yeah, and she said why and I said, I have a feeling. I said, First of all, I can't miss Oscar show. I said, weirdly, just I don't know, it's just were there the last time I see him?
Speaker 2: I don't know, And it was.
Speaker 3: I'll be completely front with you, we didn't know it was going to be his last show.
Speaker 1: I felt it is that weird. I felt it. I said it to her.
Speaker 3: Funny that you say that. My parents obviously followed every single show into as many as they could. And because Laura and I were in like the deep like trenches, Yeah, you don't really pay attention to any kind of.
Speaker 1: Like human response.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this person is at the very last time. Yeah, it was a very big shock when he passed away. For Laura and me, like, even though we knew he was going through a lot of like chemo, we were I will speak for myself. I was a complete wreck for a month. And I will never forget being in Italy and being like I flew to Italy with Laura because that's what we do every time we have a collection. We go there and see the tailoring that we're developing for daywear. And I still remember being in and because we work in Naples, we went to Capri and we're at our hotel that we stay there just to like have a weekend stay. And I remember the daya that happened and I felt it in my gut that was going to happen that day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was intense.
Speaker 2: It was intense.
Speaker 3: I was in touch with everybody in the house, where he was, where he pas. It was. It was emotional.
Speaker 1: He was like this surreal figure in my life that was this kind gentleman and so talented. And I remember him saying, how much you loved to sketch, and you would show me his sketches and he would say, I don't ever not want to do this. For the last time I saw him, and I was so glad that I that I did, and I remember he was leaning against the window when I came backstage and saw him after the show, and I wasn't going to because I was in a hurry, and I said, let me just go give him a kiss, let me just go talk to him. And he was very weak and there was a lot of people around him, and I left there going, thank god, I just went. And I remember in my praierher role because when you told me, I remember you and Laura kind of like if he was like to the left, like you guys were like back by that column, you know, on the stage, but I didn't know you, which was so weird.
Speaker 2: You remember that, Yeah, I remember where you were standing.
Speaker 1: And it's very strange because when I met you, I remember the first time it was sort of like I knew you for ten years. There was some part of my life that you were in and I hadn't physically met you. So then when we finally connected, it was like, Okay, we're in love. Now we're best friends for life, and let's just talk. Let's just I think.
Speaker 3: That he definitely understood the electricity that your personality in mind lare have, so obviously he was a very good curator of people that would get along with each other, and it was seamless to me. As soon as I met you, I'm like, oh, I feel like I've known you for a day.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's so weird.
Speaker 3: So he knew what he was doing, well, he knew.
Speaker 2: What he was doing because look at you. Now.
Speaker 3: He had a gut feeling about the fire Sagittarius in me that Martha was celebrating.
Speaker 1: As wait, did everyone hear that he just went to a Sagittarius lunch with the Queen Martha Stewart?
Speaker 2: You didn't hear that? We need to embrace that.
Speaker 3: I think that that's like a badge of honor that I will never forget, I.
Speaker 1: Said next to her at a dinner and almost did, I said him years ago. Now, I like, I think we say hi to each other. But I still will reintroduce myself.
Speaker 3: I mean, by the way. You know what's funny is I always reintroduce myself to people that I don't believe I'm friends with. And so my guess is in my floor is the Michael course, And you know he's like a sweetheart, but.
Speaker 2: The sweetest person in the world.
Speaker 3: I know, but like, I'm thirty eight and I'm still in my mind an intern at Oscars company, right, I really really am.
Speaker 1: Can I say something, Fernando, I'm still twenty two crashing a bakeup show. No, I honestly I.
Speaker 3: Lower coffee every single day because I am in my mind her intern still so and I still do. Okay, So when I see Michael and the elevator. Every time I see him in the elevator, I'm like, Hi, am Fernando, and I know who you are, just.
Speaker 2: Like with his sunglasses on and the tan, I know.
Speaker 1: I'm always This episode is brought to you by eBay. Whatever you love find it on eBay. eBay things people love. I'm going to tell you something that will not shock you. I always wear heels. I mean, you're listening to my podcast called Climbing and Heels, so yeah, But truthfully, I find heels are way easier for me to style, and of course I love the extra height that they give me being vertically challenged. One of the true ironies of my life is that now I have preteen boys that are obsessed with sneakers. When I say obsessed, I mean they track every brand and every new drop like their life depends on it. My oldest on Sky is constantly sending me links and dms with the latest and greatest pairs. I, however, recently discovered the massive selection of sneakers on eBay. With just a simple eBay search, I was able to find incredibly rare and collectible pairs, as well as sneakers that were just released. If you would have told me fifteen years ago that I'd be searching for not just flats but sneakers online, I would not have ever believed you. And don't even get me started on the collector's cases. Some of these shoes are in Some of my most precious couture gowns don't even have the beautiful storage that these sneakers have. Anyway, if you're a mom battling preteen or teenage kids about footwear, eBay really has your back. My boys have birthdays coming up and I am so excited to surprise them this year with matching pairs of limited edition sneakers that they both love. I consider it a win anytime they let me dress them these days. So thank you eBay for making me the cool mom. For now. We've all got a thing, and it's on eBay. Maybe it's scoring all the vintage fines, building an entire wall of sneakers, or hunting down a deal on that designer bag. So go find the thing, like the rare sneakers that will make you mom of the year. Whatever you love, find it on eBay. eBay things people love. I can't, but Fernando, so tell me a little bit about Like so, you started as an intern.
Speaker 2: You obviously belt your way up.
Speaker 1: You've worked your ass off the old fashioned way. You have the fire and the passion, and I think that's part of why I love you so much, just because I don't think that's ever going to change.
Speaker 2: I think you'll be sixty five doing this and you'll still.
Speaker 3: Have that Oscar never wanted to retire and now understand it now.
Speaker 1: Yep, he didn't, but you know, but but you have done different things throughout the last you know, ten years or more, whatever it is. But like, so, I want to talk about that because I want to talk a little bit about how tremendously scary this business can be.
Speaker 2: And you know it's not that scary.
Speaker 1: Well it can be, though, I sure.
Speaker 3: For people that don't know where they want to go in fashion, it absolutely should be scary, right right, And you knew, and that's where you are where you are.
Speaker 1: But but I was driven a lot by fear of failure.
Speaker 2: Sure, and I know that you have.
Speaker 3: That failure isn't a big motivator for sure. Also, you know what the big motivator is? Competition Laura and me, and yes, we fell in love in every way. And Oscar Atnuit he was doing because he was not just gaining a lovely relationship and his team, but gaining two fears competitors that wanted to outdo each other every single season. So every single season, Laura and I would like just like want to like up like one another, and so and and and Laura is really competitive, just like me and so whenever.
Speaker 2: And she's a quiet competitive though.
Speaker 3: Bitch, excuse me, I didn't say that, but she's not that. She is a serious one that comes across as like a sweet little angel, and as soon as you get in the trenches with her, you realize that, oh so she means business Like I don't have the best selling dress this season, and I am in the best I don't matter to her as much. So and it motivated me because I am not a business mind. Person in a couple of ways. So it taught me to be one because of her right and so now her our team, we're all like looking to and even in the team now and noticing the pattern repeating itself like that. The team is like, okay, so this is what you know is the top dog strategy. You have to like have the bestseller dress, also the big red carpet moment, like they have a combination of things, and so all of that mattered, and it made us better. It made us chisel our you know, knife and become stronger letners.
Speaker 1: You know, it's kind of funny because I think you guys have this very kind competitive relationship, which is very rare.
Speaker 2: Though that's very rare.
Speaker 3: We're on the same team, but we are definitely always competing. All of us in fashion are always competing. But you just have to have your heart like be very like clear and transparent. Everybody's motives are going to be like very like noticeable. As soon as you enter a team, you notice what the people's priorities are in the team. And so once you align everybody's like priorities, you really excel. And I will give Laura credit. Laura aligned the team after two or three years in a really impressive way, having an understanding of everybody's priorities in the team, no matter how old or young they are. Everybody has to be aligned and focus on a goal. So I think that she deserves a lot of credit for that. She helped the team align.
Speaker 2: Myself, Now, how do you decide?
Speaker 1: Because so much of what people know you for and knew Oscar for is the red carpet, right, But the other thing is that I think many people don't know is just one of the things I love most about Oscar. That I love most about you as well is your love of women, your love of making women actually feel, look and feel they're absolutely most glamorous, most beautiful. But to your credit, you have taken the reins at Oscar with Laura and made it incredibly modern and your own. And that is not easy. It's not easy, and there's a huge expectation. And you know, Oscar has had customers that have been Oscar customers and clients.
Speaker 2: For what fifty years?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: More more?
Speaker 1: And so how is that in terms of like pressure, Because the reality of it is, you have had more hits on the biggest stars in the world over even since I've known you really over the last few years. It's like one after the other after the other, and icons like Sarah Jessica, Taylor Swift, I mean, Selena Gomez NonStop, Nicole Kimmen, I mean, it goes on. This is like the drink, Fernando. It used to only be European designers and every once in a while an American designer would have that moment. You are having moment after moment after moment after moment.
Speaker 2: That is not easy.
Speaker 3: Thank you heard that? Huge bad I mean, I don't take it lightly, especially coming from you who find the reason I prowd became gay. I mean with the Tory Boys necklace, forget it.
Speaker 2: I'm like a hawk pin deer still will always be one of.
Speaker 3: My favorite iconic. So to answer your question, it's not overnight right. First of all, I didn't join Oscar thinking I was going to become creative director of Oscar. Oscar thinking I'm the luckiest Dominican boy in the world and I'm going to work my way up somehow and make him happy, and to me and Laura going home for six years as his assistant and making him smile from one dress in that one month that.
Speaker 2: To us was you're winning. You're winning.
Speaker 3: That was as simple as that. So I want to give everybody perspective to understand that that the pressure that I feel today is a pressure that was built through time to have me tolerate. So so the pressure to make him smile was my first pressure, and after that, other pressures, you know, surmount to themselves on top of me. So everything that you all see me and my team doing to me now after fifteen years is a lot lighter than probably from somebody from the outside of things that like, oh, this is like what they must be like dying right now. Now, Like we really have worked our way up to understanding the expectations and understanding what the talent wants to perceive themselves as through the public lands. So in a way, I have also become a little bit of a therapist, because you know that very well. So you understand that when I meet somebody they funny enough, you know me, They are nervous, they think, oh, you're going to be whatever whatever the impression is, and I'm just like, I like break them down and I figure out what is going to make them the most comfortable, vulnerable, susceptible to my words or my personality so that they can become their truest self in the moment that I need them. Why because I need them to be that way throughout the process that of my creating a Mechcali moment for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they're a wedding dress, which one or a wedding dress like on press or.
Speaker 3: I mean doing a Ma Bloney's wedding dress. Was as ls your's assistant. Even though I was doing a lot of the heavy lifting, Amala Floney did rely on Oscar and me and Laura to come up with something that was, you know, worthy of that big moment on stage right. And I was I was twenty six when this was all going on, and I was noticing how Oscar maneuvered the situation and how he handled himself. And I learned a lot from him during that period. And that's because and from that point on, amm Flue and I kind of like had this like it's not a battle scar, but it's just like she.
Speaker 1: And I like have this like monthly trauma bonding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were bonded from that. Like, so when I was developing mom say, I I was like, you know, scared. I was like, I'm all like I don't know what to do, like should we enjoy a show here? Should we do this? And she's like, why are you know? I'm like, oh, I'm in Italy right now. I'm developing the first month a collection ever and this is in twenty fifteen, and so she's like, oh, I'm in come on. I'm like, oh, I'm in Milan. She's like, come over, Rachel, and I'm all there, how much I love this memory. It was incredible and she was like, show me all of your sketches. I want to see the first one the collection. I still remember that moment like yesterday because I arrived at the house and I got to the living room of her home in Como and I am showing her all discussion on the floor. The dogs were licking me. It was adorable. And then she's like, let's go have lunch outside and I'm like, okay where I'm like in my head, I'm like, it's real. And then she takes me to the courtyard and I noticed that there's high trenches because of aparazzi, so they can't really like have like this glorious view, which broke my heart a little bit. But then yeah, but then I was just like, okay, so let's go have some food. And she's like, oh, George arrived, and I'm like what and he shows up. I'm not going to repeat what he said, but it was really funny. And the buyguard was next to me, and I was probably like considered like a threat because that was like a brand new person mall's life in their eyes. But George was really sweet, because he's so sweet. He was just like asking me the importance of you know, the re carpet moments that we do with them all, and the understanding the world that we're in and the influence that they have on the world, and inquisitive and interested in fun.
Speaker 1: And it's good that in those moments you can recognize it's a pinch me, surreal moment.
Speaker 2: It's good that you can do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know, I think I made the mistake of never recognizing those moments until now when people ask me about them, and I'm like, right that, yes, it happened, because in my mind, the moments are more those moments of like seeing Oscar for the last time, or the first time he took me to a studio and showed me his sketches, and you know, with Car Lagerfeld.
Speaker 2: Those were my moments.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about Monse for a second, because what in what life and what planet? While you're at Oscar, jay La Rna, do you look at Laura and say, hey, let's start another brand, Let's start our own because I just I need to just like sort of paint the picture.
Speaker 2: Because what you're doing in Oscar.
Speaker 1: And arguably one of the biggest, most recognized, highly regarded houses in America for sure and throughout the world.
Speaker 2: But that in and of itself is how many collections a year?
Speaker 3: It's four for Oscar for for Monse. Too bridal and at this point the VIP list used to be me doing red carpet moments, meaning six a year o the ic list. Basically we're doing cature without right right, and it's fabulous.
Speaker 2: It's like closet to cature.
Speaker 3: It's closet cature. It's Fernando's so got.
Speaker 1: So really like what triggers you at that point to be like this isn't enough.
Speaker 2: I need to start our own line. We need to start it now.
Speaker 3: It wasn't that, to be right, honest, we didn't know what Oscar's health was going to end up, Like right and Lauren and I were thinking about our future, and Lauren and I also needed to understand who we were as designers outside of Yes, it wasn't that we wanted to like add on, it was that we need to like scratch an itch yeah, and it also is really like formative. We needed to learn who we were outside of a big umbrella corp, so to speak, and understand what the world was like when you have to fend for yourself, and we did have to fend for ourselves for two years. We figured out what their crass tax reality was for the majority of designers that want to start from scratch. And so I think that it made us the designers that we are today. I don't think that. I don't think that Oscar was wrong in thinking that we needed a little bit more growth. But we got it. But we got it and it was necessary.
Speaker 1: And also it's a very different language monse versus Oscar Dillierent.
Speaker 2: It's a totally different being.
Speaker 3: Because we had to figure out a new DNA after you know, his passing. It was important to us and we consulted a couple of people. We consulted Kit Young, we consulted Sex Buying Team, very important minded people that that saw ar trajectory as a system OSCAR and knew what we wanted, and so we were trying to like guide us as to like making a name for ourselves in a very independent, isolated unassociated to oscaring.
Speaker 2: So it's so unbelievably impressive.
Speaker 1: And so now one thing I really want to talk to you about is because it's something we see so often in so many industries, from food to beauty and certainly to fashion. And you and I have talked about this, you know, two three in the morning on text. How do you handle Copycatskay?
Speaker 3: The last time I remember that is once a copied manse our beginning of our deconstructing of shirts. I don't think that there's anything else to say but to be flattered by it, because the price points are very different, and it doesn't affect your business to a to a detrimental.
Speaker 1: So how do you continue to keep everything new and fresh? And what's so interesting is I did not know that you studied architecture, because that tracks, by the way, because so much of your most recent collections I've seen so much of that.
Speaker 2: I've seen so much architecture, and.
Speaker 3: I think that's what Laura and I do because you know, our lives are extremely busy. Yes, is be surrounded by the people that we want to dress. And you know, Nikki, as you know, is my.
Speaker 1: Best friend absolutely Nilton. Yeah, you guys are the cutest best friends.
Speaker 3: By the way, Well, she takes caramels and we love. But I do want to give credit to the to the girls in my life like you, like Nikki, like Laura, that keep my head on my shoulders. We made it and it's beautiful and hilarious and fun.
Speaker 1: And you there is no one that can make me literally laugh out loud in the morning.
Speaker 2: Out of it.
Speaker 1: Do I sleep?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 1: You it literally like give me life when I need it the most.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I just want to say that I love you madly. I love everything you've done. I love how you've built it humble brick by humble brick. I love that you have your confidence now but you still feel twenty two.
Speaker 2: In some ways. I am.
Speaker 1: I also think you're dressing the best, and you know, I think keeping that humility is a superpower.
Speaker 2: I really do.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll say this. When Laura and I left Oscar, I noticed something that was a great and very valuable calling card that I recommend anybody who is starting something from scratch to vulnerability is something that I didn't understand. What is not just attractive but welcoming to personal and all like relationships or business opportunities. It is extremely attractive because people feel like they're about to join something important in someone's life. So as soon as I discovered that, I was like, without any shame, knocking them a few doors and being like, hey, we just left Oscar, we want to figure this out. Help us. Saying the words help us is something I cannot say enough and recommend to people, because yeah, you definitely have to have a draft record, right, you have to have like a little bit of a reputation to like earn the Okay, I'll help you. But but you will be surprised how many people are so like hard on themselves about asking for help.
Speaker 1: Of course, no, I mean I think that's actually the hardest thing to do.
Speaker 3: That's crazy, you ask for like, don't want to ask for help. There is absolutely like a ton of reasons why they don't want to, but they tell.
Speaker 2: Us I would agree with that very much.
Speaker 1: I think it makes them feel less than or that they haven't achieved any success or when he.
Speaker 3: Was there and me and Laura were like, no, no problem asking help us.
Speaker 2: I mean, and it worked.
Speaker 1: And I think you're doing it, and I think your relationship is amazing, and I think I'm very excited to.
Speaker 2: Just continue to see what you guys do. I mean, I like love it.
Speaker 1: I'm like standing here with pom poms like cheering you guys on in every dress and every collection, and you're so adored.
Speaker 2: You are so adored.
Speaker 1: For me, it's the thing that always attracted me the most to Oscar was how he spoke to women and how he treated women and how he he listened to them. And that's what you guys are doing. That's what you're doing. Like I see you when you're working with someone, whether it's Paris or Taylor Swift or Selena Gmez or any of these people. Jessica Chastein like you are, like I have to suit you on. I don't know if she I don't know if that color she made that may be too somewhere. I don't know if this is going to be you know, it's.
Speaker 3: Like that thing I seriously like think like you might want me to. Like there's moments where I'm like, sac actually tell me, Like hell, Elizabeth Stuart is going to probably want me to do this, Like I seriously have moments where I think about the people that got us.
Speaker 1: To Let's talk about stylists for one minute because or two because I want to talk about it. I'm going to take my stylist hat off, but I want to talk about that because you work with so many stylists, and I know you do, and you have an appreciation for them rather than a there are any designers that are resentful about stylists. There are some that love them, and there's some that hate them.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to give you some perspective. I came to Oscar before Silence for to be honest cool. The first one that like broke my thinking of how important they are to the business was Kate Young, right. I saw the resilience of her clients throughout my career and learned a lot about the psychology that goes into creating something for somebody in a really like pressure filled moment. From after that, Pristina Rlick and you know Andrew McConnell and all these other amazingly talented people that in a way are like therapists. They are they are psychologists. They are there to understand the level of impact they need to deliver, also the influence that they want to cast upon the fans that that person has like and by the way, that fluctuates. Every every client wants to go up or down or medium, and they do mean medium sometimes, So it's it's It was an incredible learning experience during the most like like soaking moments of Fernando's twenties. So I learned a lot about that psychology through the people that you know, delivered the moments that everybody remembers from a brand outside of like you know, selling a lot of clothes to customers that are loyal to us and deserve all of our attention. The loudest voices are the santatriska partners or sex of the city. For the brands like mine, I don't even have words like meeting her when Oscar did her last at Galla moment and she ORed herself on the floor of the office with a binder that she herself came with of all the Charles jam the references, because that's who we were celebrating at that moment.
Speaker 5: It taught me that you know, no matter what how complicated or how busy your life is in fashion, everybody does get wrapped up into all of that.
Speaker 3: But when you see somebody that is as passionate as Sara just got, throwing herself on the door with a binder that she herself research and in her closet where she has a bin of ribbons, like we go a way back, and I herd that relationship like an idiot. But she truly does matter for culture, She matters for fashion, and she is somebody who has always upheld it in a very respectful, intelligent, researched way. I don't think that there's enough of Sergey. I guess in the world.
Speaker 2: There aren't. There are not.
Speaker 1: They are not. I mean I hope that there will be, but there are not now. But I think I don't know. It's just it's such a beautiful thing. And I love that relationship, and I cannot wait to see you keep doing what you do. I love you so much. I love seeing your love for women. I love seeing your love for creating for women and creating these magic moments.
Speaker 3: Peer from the entire planet for the next two months.
Speaker 2: So well, I'm gonna hunt you down and I'm going to blow up your phone.
Speaker 3: You love I am.
Speaker 2: I love you so much.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much to Fernando for coming on the pod today. He is truly brilliant. He is so beyond talented, and he designs not only with his talent, of course, and his skill, but with his heart and with a huge admiration and respect for women, with humility, with humor. He is so incredibly funny. He's the most fun person to go out with, and I know he has truly just begun. His statement that vulnerability is attractive is really inspiring because I think it really is very true. And I think asking for help is an important reminder and lesson for everyone to take from this episode, including me, because I think we have so much ego and so much shame in asking for help, and so I loved that moment amongst many. I loved this episode so much, and I love you, Fernando. Thank you so much for listening to Climbing and Heels. If you haven't already, please subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, the iHeart app, or wherever you get your podcasts so you don't miss a single episode this season. And be sure to follow me on Instagram at at rachel Zo and the show at cleming Inhales pod for the latest episodes and updates. I will talk to you soon.
Speaker 3: Lack