Speaker 1: Misspelling with Tory Spelling and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Okay, we thought we would do something fun today for Tory stories. And I guess the nineties are really at the forefront of my mind right now because I've just been a nineties con and it's just been nine o two and oh a lot last few weekends. So my producer Chrissy had a good idea that we would do a nine oh two. I almost said nine O two one OMG because I'm so used to doing my other podcast OMG with Jen and Amy that I almost just introduced that we would do a nine O two one oh pop quiz. So I know nothing of what she's gonna ask me, but I like it that way. I love games, and you're gonna test my knowledge.
Speaker 1: Correct correct. It's gonna be super fun.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, I'm psyched.
Speaker 1: I think it's fun because like actors, right, you guys are always on these sets. You're doing all this script all the time. So how much of your storylines do you retain? How much you have to leave your brain so you can let like new storylines come in, And like, I'm just curious to see what people remember. I think it's interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean, keep in mind. I might know more right now because we've been doing the rewatch now for seven seasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's.
Speaker 2: Been all coming back to me now as a fangirl, which is really a cool perspective to have.
Speaker 1: I think it's fun. These are actually quizzes I found online from like fandoms. So they're like quizzes that like fans take to see to test their own knowledge.
Speaker 2: On that good Okay, okay, good good good.
Speaker 1: Makes So some of them are about you, some of them aren't. We'll see what happens. Okay, okay, question number one. Oh, and there's twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Questions random number cool.
Speaker 1: Great, and this is like combined two tests. Okay. Question number one is.
Speaker 2: So like rapid fire, no no, I can take no.
Speaker 1: No. It's like, if you have a good story to go with it, like a good anecdote, you should add it, okay.
Speaker 2: Having a story never never to stories.
Speaker 1: In the sixth season, what substance does Kelly get addicted to cocaine? That was just too easy?
Speaker 2: That was too easy. Yes, yes, she went out with Colin who got her into drugs, and Kelly was coke binging. I went to rehaban good for her, and she was on diet pills in was it first season or second season?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Oh, I don't remember. She was on diet pills. That was like in the years of slim Fast. I remember slim Fast.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Oh my gosh. And even on the show, she's like, it's just over the counter, it's nothing.
Speaker 1: How many years was Beverly Hills nine oh two went out on.
Speaker 2: The air ten seasons? Yeah, over two hundred episodes? Correct.
Speaker 1: I have an idea. What is the name of David's hit song.
Speaker 2: Just like that, she crumbles, I got nothing, no clue to give you. It's three words, oh baby baby.
Speaker 1: No, it says it's called keep.
Speaker 2: It Together, No memory. Nope. Was that also Brian's real life hit single on his album? Oh, I don't know he has an album.
Speaker 1: Let me see, I'm looking it up right now.
Speaker 2: It's true, It's all true.
Speaker 1: It just only shows it shows him like performing it, but it only shows as a nine O two one oh song. Oh.
Speaker 2: Interesting, because I was wondering if they like merged the worlds like oh Greens coming out with like a new single, So we'll put it as David's doing it on the show.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Oh, it says here that Brian did originally write keep It Together for himself and not for David Silver. However, they changed the lyrics to make it a David Silver song. And meanwhile, while he did it on the show, in real life, he began to work on his yab Young label solo debut projects. There you go the Internet, the more you know, all right? Question number four after graduation? Where do Claire and her father move to?
Speaker 2: Wow? I came into this really confident. I was like, nail these after.
Speaker 1: I did you want to pick some of the obscure one knowing that you've been doing rewatches.
Speaker 2: Wow? And then makes after graduation, so that would be like eight season Claire leaves the show she and her father move. I don't know, I got nothing. You know, geography is not my strength. Give me a hint.
Speaker 1: Apparently it's in France.
Speaker 2: Oh chic Paris?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Oh cool? Who knows why? But that's where they went.
Speaker 2: I wonder why?
Speaker 1: No clue? See, now what we're doing is pretty.
Speaker 2: Wow. Like Brenda went to London, Claire went to Paris, like the Walshes moved to Japan. I think great.
Speaker 1: Donna took a drive to Santa Monica. Yeah, who did Steve take as his date to the spring dance.
Speaker 2: Me Donna Martin the big red dress.
Speaker 1: Was it red?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it was red and it was ginormous. It was like a gone like gone with the wind type dress. And that was the whole like when Donna first like got to do like her comedic stuff because Donna couldn't get into the limo because of her dressed and like couldn't move by anybody because of her dress, and that became like my prop. So I was like a lucy storyline.
Speaker 1: Did you have to stay in that dress far.
Speaker 2: An entire episode? So so seven days we shot.
Speaker 1: And when that happens, do they give you more than one dress or do you have to use the exact same dress? And they just like overnight dry queen. It.
Speaker 2: I feel like it was rented from a prop house, like a wardrobe prop house, so it was probably a one of a kind, so there probably wasn't a backup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my god, crazy, what is it? What is it? Yeah? But is the radio station that David works for at the after dark?
Speaker 2: No no clue. Later says k.
Speaker 1: V I b.
Speaker 2: K v I b mm hmm kvib k vibe. Oh that's lame.
Speaker 1: I listened to k Vibes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, should we bring it back?
Speaker 1: Let's bring it back, coming at you strong. This is k Vibes the story spelling at the end of the fourth season, where does Brenda go? Which you've already talked about London. Yes, it says Matt's wife Lauren suffers from what mental illness?
Speaker 2: Matt, Matt journey. Wait the character Matt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Matt and Lauren's sucker, Matt Lauren.
Speaker 2: That's the right show. You're looking at Melrose Place now.
Speaker 1: And Lauren, No, it's on that nine on two and oh.
Speaker 2: In the CW version here it is Matt and Lauren. There was only one character named Matt. It was Matt Derning, who is the lawyer who was Kelly's boyfriend. He had a wife.
Speaker 1: No, he ended his engagement with his wife and left town.
Speaker 2: Because of what an illness was.
Speaker 1: Later on, Kelly decided she lived Dylan most of all, and Matt decided their connection was real, so he ended the engagement and left town. So Kelly was engaged to him. Matt Jurning. Yeah, he had no clue he had that. Yeah, he had been institutionalized. His wife, Lauren is married to Matt Derning, but had been institutionalized prior to Matt's arrival in Los Angeles. Wild. She re enters his life coming out of a mental hospital, and she was institutionalized for schizophrenia.
Speaker 2: What actress played that character or do they never see her?
Speaker 1: It looks like you see her. I love how it says Matt is a straight laced lawyer who became gradually close to Donna and Kelly. Hmm. Interesting, Really, what we're doing here is setting you up for success next time something like this happens on Omgh.
Speaker 2: I'm unflappable. You know that the world knows that she is played.
Speaker 1: By Carrie Shane or Cary Shane c A r I s h A y n E.
Speaker 2: No memory of that now.
Speaker 1: She re enters Matt's life after a surprise result of taking a colozapins that had cured her of her mental illnesses after trying every drug on the market. However, the drug caused her white cell count to drop. Daniels Leelo and she had to be reinstitutionalized. So it's like she came back to try and break up maybe Kelly and who knows?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 1: Interesting. I like that I'm stubbing you a little bit. It makes me feel like I didn't like it too.
Speaker 2: No, I'm I'm I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: David and Donna's wedding. Wedding anniversary. By the way, you poem did Kelly read?
Speaker 2: Oh shit, you know she was my maid of honor?
Speaker 1: What poem?
Speaker 2: No? No, I'm learning so much today. This is so fun.
Speaker 1: How do I love THEE?
Speaker 2: Let me count the ways?
Speaker 1: Really, I don't think it's how he count the ways.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's not like, how do I love THEE? Let me count the way? You know that old No, it's not that. Okay, do you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 1: I know exactly what you're talking about. That. I think that's like a kid what. Yeah, pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean changed the ideas. Brian and I ended up writing our own vows, so I guess we'd let them keep that one. They decided that was a poem Kelly would read, Donna and David.
Speaker 1: When's Donna's birthday?
Speaker 2: Christmas? Poor Donna. Everyone forgets about her birthday. Womp womp. Every year, it's just Christmas and Donna's birthday.
Speaker 1: Who were the three original members of the Beach House.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was David, Kelly and Donna.
Speaker 1: Yep, which magazine was Kelly the cover girl for oh teen close. There's a number in front of that teen seventeen. H Okay, did you have a subscription to that?
Speaker 2: Duh? Did you?
Speaker 1: I totally did.
Speaker 2: I totally did too.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, and my mom got so mad at me for it.
Speaker 2: Why could you spend money on that?
Speaker 1: I think because I put it on her credit card because like back in the day, the only way you could subscribe to those things is if you bought it at the grocery store and then you ripped out the little flap inside. I felt that out, and I used my mom's credit card to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel like I had Tiger Beat, teen Beat seventeen. Remember Delia's.
Speaker 1: I didn't have all those.
Speaker 2: Delius was a freebeet. It was like it was like forever twenty one could order like tween and teen clothes, d E H L I A S. And now they're making a comeback and they have a collab with Dolls Kills, Oh, which I was very excited to see. So nineties coming back again.
Speaker 1: This girl was ordering from the Steers catalog. Honey.
Speaker 2: That's why that's my mom big into catalogs. When I was young, Like she would just have stacks and she would just have them dog eared. So I would mark my dlias catalog. But I don't think I ever really got anything, but it was fun marking it up.
Speaker 1: It was so fun.
Speaker 2: So it's like our version, Now do you do this? I always like online, like on my phone, We'll go to a website and like just fill up my cart and then abandon it totally.
Speaker 1: And then they sent you those messages and it's like we.
Speaker 2: Left something behind. You're like, fuck you, I did it on purpose.
Speaker 1: I was hoping I forget about it, left to get it. It's just the act of get get out of your system, like like I want all these things, and then you just walk away from it. It's just like an act of doing it.
Speaker 2: Makes it so easy to walk away. Wait, have you been in the markets now? Well, they probably don't have these where you live, but just kidding, we have a real grocery those sens I don't know. Allegedly, the fancy like grocery stores have these cards now where you like it's sensory and you tap your phone and it starts like you put your stuff in and it knows exactly what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, we don't have that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like make shopping way too easy because you're at first you're like, this is fun, and then they'll be like, oh, have you used these new cards at and you're like, no, you know, show me the way, and then they'll be like, if you need some instruction and then you can like check yourself out, But basically you put it in and it rings it up for you, so you're like all ready to go, which makes it too easy.
Speaker 1: What were the names of David and Kelly's parents that got married?
Speaker 2: Oh, Mel Silver and Jackie Taylor.
Speaker 1: Yes. What was Steve and Janet's baby name?
Speaker 2: Ooh wow? I really Janet? Oh mmm, give me a hint. Rose No, no upsides with an M an m. Madeline.
Speaker 1: Yep, I love that name. What is the name of the band group that played at Steve's tury first birthday party? Google Dolls Wait Coloring Dads on the show? Yeah? Yeah, what did they do?
Speaker 2: Oh my god? That was like one of the most famous Donna episodes because Donna caught they were going to sneak to try to find Color Me Bad. They were playing and they knew the hotel they were in and they're trying to find them. And Donna caught her mom cheating on her dad at that hotel and epically, Donna was wearing a red leather short suit. Basically it was red leather shorts and a red leather jacket.
Speaker 1: Okay, what was the name of the paper that Brandon worked for when he was with Susan, don't care the condor?
Speaker 2: He lost me a paper?
Speaker 1: Where? Like, what town were they in when Ray pushed Donna down the stairs?
Speaker 2: Oh, Palm Springs. Yeah, and so so we filmed actually there in Palm Springs and it was wild because my family and I we went and stayed there I think two years ago, and I kept saying to my ex. I was like, have we been here before? I feel like and He's like, I don't know, it feels like it, and I was like maybe, Like and I'm trying to remember by babies when I was pregnant, which vacations we went on because you know, pump Strings is close so it's easy to drive too. I was like, yeah, I can't remember. And then it finally hit me, like the last day we were there, I was like, oh my god, this is where Ray pushed on and down the stairs. That's why I'm remembering it never brought the kids here? Yeah, oh dang, yeah, have.
Speaker 1: You ever done that anywhere else where? You were like, I know I've been here before, but like I don't. I don't know why I've been here, like a deja vu. But it was like something you filmed, whether it was like another movie or something like that.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, because I usually, like my memory is like a steel trap, like I remember everything, so it's not often that I forget things like that. But I was like, this is oddly familiar. There's a lot of stairwells. I was getting, like PTSD, that's so crazy.
Speaker 1: What a weird trip, like a trippy in your head? I mean, like not like going to it's not weird. Who got married only to lose their spouse the next day?
Speaker 2: Oh oh, Dylan McKay, Tony Marshad.
Speaker 1: What was Carly's son's name?
Speaker 2: Okay, I got this Carly played by Hilary Swank when I was Steve single mom. Her son's name was Give me hints. Mm hmmm, Michael, okay, start to this. Z Zachye okay.
Speaker 1: He was six years old. First seen in a soccer game where Steve Sanders was watching Aaron Silver.
Speaker 2: I wonder who that kid is?
Speaker 1: Now? Yeah, that would be fun too.
Speaker 2: Huh, yeah, you should do.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't that be fun if you had like a reunion with every kid that was ever on the stube?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That's like every time I see the kid from the sand La he looks exactly like the kid from the Red Haired Kid. He looks exactly the same, but he was just like a grown version of that kid with a deeper voice, and like he does all these commercials. His TikTok is really funny actually too, I love it anyway. What was the name of the director that Brenda left Beverly Hills with?
Speaker 2: Left Beverly Hills, Yeah, oh, like that's why she moved to London now for a director for school.
Speaker 1: What was the name of the director that Brenda left Beverly Hills with? His name sounds a little skeezy, actually, I give up Roy Randolph. Oh that sounds like a skeezy director.
Speaker 2: Roy Randolph right right right now?
Speaker 1: I remember, Uh, what city did Valerie come from before coming to Beverly Hills? Buffalo? Yeah, you look so unsure when you said I know because I have no confidence.
Speaker 2: But yet I know it, but it's like, oh, It's like, here's the thing. When I meet people like I always I have this like, oh, I have such like this weird thing about saying people's names because I'm so worried that I'll get their name wrong and I don't want them to ever feel like, oh, you meet so many people like you don't remember my name. So sometimes when I see someone again, I'll just be like so good to see you because I'll know their name, but I'll be like so not confident to say it. Yeah, And then like the one one time, I like lead with confidence. I'm like, did I ask your name wrong? They're like yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, I mean this is a namurtive that you know this stuff at all. I don't know. I can't remember, Like last week, who thought of the name of peach Pit after Dark?
Speaker 2: No clue, I don't know. Oh I think originally, okay, okay, hold on, I think originally it was inspired, so it was the peach Pit and then peach Pit after Dark. I don't know. It was just like the club like after Dark, so that made sense. But peach Pit, I believe was inspired because we have a famous burger place in La called the apple Pan. It's like in the Westwood area, very like small counter like doesn't hold many people. Still really it's like a landmark, really famous. They're known for their burgers and pies and like shakes. So that's where peach pit, not the apple Pan, but the peach pit.
Speaker 1: That's cool. This says that Steve originally came up with the peach Pit after Dark name. It's adding after dark as it.
Speaker 2: Says like Steve or Ian like, oh, like the character care like, hey, somebody should open up like a damn it.
Speaker 1: Should be called the peach Pit after Dark. Okay? Oh? By which of the main characters was originally only slated for two episodes?
Speaker 2: Me? No, daughter sucks, Let's get her out of there quick.
Speaker 1: It was a gentleman.
Speaker 2: It was a gentleman first season or a different season.
Speaker 1: It just says what character was originally slated for only two episodes?
Speaker 2: See that to me?
Speaker 1: This is a first season character.
Speaker 2: Oh it is Dylan McKay.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Could you imagine if Dylan McKay was only on for two episodes? No, I mean Dylan McKay changed a generation of girls for life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember my dad wanted to hire him, and there was pushback. I don't want to tell the story of verbatim because I don't remember, but pushed back from the network they wanted to tell you know that, well they still do that. They want like you to give them two or three options. Yeah, you have just test them. And my dad was so sure that it was Luke Perry that he was like, no, I'm not bringing anyone in for it except Luke Perry, Like he's he'll come in an audition for you, but he's he's the guy. And then I remember my dad saying like, well then I'll pay for him myself.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: But imagine if they like cast somebody else, They're like, nah, we're not sure if he has like the star power.
Speaker 1: Do you know if he did nine O two and O before or after that bull writing movie?
Speaker 2: Before he was on nine O two and oh when he did yeah, eight Miles before.
Speaker 1: The Bull right, yeah, before that bull writing movie.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I only watched that once I moved to Montana because everyone's like obsessed with that.
Speaker 2: Didn't make sense for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the rodeo is down the street. How old was Gabrielle Karterrez when she landed the role of fifteen year old Andrea Zuckerman. How old was she in real life?
Speaker 2: Oh, my gosh, she was mad, but like twenty.
Speaker 1: Six close, twenty nine? Mine below nine?
Speaker 2: Oh wow?
Speaker 1: Oh nine. That blew my mind.
Speaker 2: She's still gab I just saw obviously the last couple of weekends. She does not age. No, she Oh she looks so good to.
Speaker 1: Think that she was twenty nine years old when she played fifteen year old. It's freaking insane to me. How old were you?
Speaker 2: I was the same age as the character?
Speaker 1: Shut up? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did the pilot, I was fifteen, and then by the time we went to series, I just turned sixteen. So Brian and I were the youngest who were both the same ages a characters?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And was she the oldest?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I guess so. Dang, well it was Gabrielle and then Iron.
Speaker 1: How old is he?
Speaker 2: He just turned sixty one?
Speaker 1: I think, Oh my god, this was the one question that really blew my mind. I was like, dang, that girl, she doesn't age at all.
Speaker 2: No, not at all, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: What was the name of Brandon Walsh's car?
Speaker 2: Oh start with an m, yep fart. What was its name?
Speaker 1: Mon Mond yep it's like the end of a town, maybe.
Speaker 2: On Hill mon Dale, mon Dale.
Speaker 1: So close. How many episodes did it take for Donna to lose her virginity?
Speaker 2: I don't know how many episodes for eight seasons?
Speaker 1: So how many episodes did you say earlier that the whole thing was.
Speaker 2: You thought, so you're gonna ask me to do math. Now you know I can't do that. Okay, So it was like thirty episodes first season? Oh my gosh. Now I'm like panicking about adding things up.
Speaker 1: Well, you said the whole show was how many episodes?
Speaker 2: I thought it was overturner episodes.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's over two hundred episodes for Donna to lose her virginity.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and she didn't lose it till the eighth season, so it went ten seasons. So does that mean we made it to almost three.
Speaker 1: Hundred So she lost her virginity after two hundred and six episodes. Cool?
Speaker 2: Wow, they finally convinced my dad.
Speaker 1: This is the last question. Oh no, I know who played the part of Brandon's tough but soap opera loving boss at the Beverly Hills Beach Club.
Speaker 2: I know him obviously.
Speaker 1: He's a junior if that helps I know.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm blinking on his name. Such a talented actor. Oh my god, he's been so much.
Speaker 1: Oh god, sorry, it's James Pickens Junior.
Speaker 2: Wait, you can't end on me getting one wrong.
Speaker 1: Okay, hold on, let me see if I can like.
Speaker 2: What would that be a bonus round, bonus round, something juicy.
Speaker 1: Something juicy? Yeah, all right, let's see, can see some of these are just gonna know the answers to no because I didn't do the easy ones, like like some of these are like true or false. Brenda and Brenda we're twins. And I was like, no, what high school do they attend?
Speaker 2: Oh me, Oh, here's a good one.
Speaker 1: Here's a good one. Okay, what high school was actually used for the exterior shots in the series?
Speaker 2: Are you really asking me that? Like you think I'm not gonna know that one?
Speaker 1: Oh? I don't know that.
Speaker 2: Warrence High School. We filmed there every week.
Speaker 1: And that was the exterior shots. Yes, it's that's so crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, and the college there was so we see you was occidental. So for high school, it was supposed to be West Beverly High, but we filmed at Torrance High and we went to school at California University, which they called SeeU, which really sends me over the edge when they say that, because every time rewatching it, it makes me think of the word and I'm like, oh my god, see you next Tuesday. Anyway, that was filmed at Occidental College. So, and then when I did the remake of Mother May Have Sleep with Danger, we filmed at Occidental College and I was like, whoa, it's all coming back now.
Speaker 1: So like that, if you were filming at Torrance High School, was that not like an active high school?
Speaker 2: It was, yeah, so how do.
Speaker 1: You film in this high school that's in the middle of school?
Speaker 2: I don't remember. I don't remember. It was just became like a known thing. Like they would have like days that we filmed there, the exteriors sometimes the hallways and stuff, and classes would be in session. I don't know how they did it. It's not wild. That is young to really understand. I just know, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting to me. So, and the interior of the school was on a studio.
Speaker 2: Set, correct, well, they turned a warehouse in Van Eyes into a set and that's where it was, which was also next to Vivid Video.
Speaker 1: Oh, dang. Torrents is like far from there.
Speaker 2: It was really well. I mean here, I am like just turned sixteen, like just had my driver's license, but wanting to be like big girl, Like I'm going by myself and driving and I'd never been like out of Beverly Hills and driving to Torrents. It felt like I was like, oh my gosh, I'm driving to like a different state.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like far.
Speaker 2: It felt really very industrial like in Van Eyes was far because you know, then all of a sudden, like during the week, I was by day a Valley Girl because that's where we filmed Night's Beverly Hell Girl.
Speaker 1: That is so wild that you went to an actual school anytime you were in a court because you guys were outside a lot. Yeah, Like I.
Speaker 2: Feel like we're in there like once a week or something. The exterior for each episode. Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: See these are the things that like make me excited when I learned them about TV shows. I find it so interesting. Which character joined a cult in season five? Kelly? She did. Yeah, it's called the New Eva. The New.
Speaker 2: That was a cool storyline because this is way before like I mean I don't want to say like culture on trend now, because that's all right culture trending.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at the picture of the guy. He's so culty looking.
Speaker 2: But this is before like there were there was really anything like talked about that new religions or you know, different ways of thinking and people having groups and communities. It was just like, I don't know, I feel like in the nineties that wasn't really talked about. So looking back now, yeah, I love I'm a sucker for anything unscripted cult wise.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Well, Tori, I'm very impressed with your uh your actual knowledge of nine O two one O. Today.
Speaker 2: Hey, bo, I have a question while we wrap up this episode. What is nine O two one oh a show? A TV show? How do you know that show? Who was on that TV show?
Speaker 1: Me?
Speaker 2: George