Speaker 1: Welcome back to another edition of the Frida Egg Podcast. This week we have a two part podcast for you with two thousand and six US Open Champion Jeff Ogilvie. Besides playing on the PGA Tour, Jeff is also a golf course architect in his spare time, partnering with Michael Clayton, Mike Kaking and Ashley Mead and their firm OCCM. In Part one, Jeff and I discussed life on the PGA Tour, match play, winning versus contending young Australian players, the evolution of the game and much more. Part two the podcast will be released on Tuesday night. If you don't yet, please subscribe to the podcast and rate and review us in the app Store. Thanks, and without further ado, here's Jeff Ogilvie.
Speaker 2: I miss the green, for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball in.
Speaker 1: A Frida Egg Friday egg, the dreaded Frida Egg Friday egg, right egg, bright egg, bright egg, bright egg, Lie, I'm about ready to run off the golf course. It was like a typical week looks like when you're not playing golf.
Speaker 2: What's probably different now than it used to be. I mean, I was a get home Sunday night. It's gotta be a wake up Monday morning and like work out what time I was going to go to the golf course and practice. That's what a young professional golfer does, I think. I mean, I've been a golf tragic my whole life. So I h you spend Sunday night on the airplane coming home wondering what you did wrong or lacking what you did right, and getting about working on that more for the week off. A little different now I've married up, three kids at home and been at this for twenty odd years. It's kind of I don't really kind of my hands don't really touch the club glove doesn't get on zipped till about Thursday. Now. Probably if I've played two or three weeks in a row, three or four days off, and I take the kids to school on Monday, and I probably Monday I'll usually just sit on the couch. I just not very much. Tuesday, Wednesday I might start getting around and running in little lens I need to do. And then Thursday, like Wednesday night, I'll start getting excited and I'll start going to the golf course on Thursday, penafew balls and playing any games of golf that are around and stuff like that. So it's less of a grindy kind of all all in approach to golf now more like a I really enjoy the kind of days away when I get them.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, that's I feel it a little bit.
Speaker 2: On my end.
Speaker 1: Is just like I play a lot less now than I play when I was younger, but I enjoy it a lot more. When you're out on tour and you're, you know, at an event, what do you do with you know, the considerable downtime that you guys have.
Speaker 2: It seems to be I I used to like when I played in Europe, early days and early stuff. I used to love going to see the town, you know, whatever was around, Like if I mean, sometimes we got to some pretty uninteresting places and there's not much to do. But whenever we get somewhere like say Chicago or La or New York or some places in Florida, there's always somewhere cool to go and do, something to do. And I used to do a lot of that, but the last of five or six years, it's much more get back to the room and find find a show to binge watch on Netflix, and just go. That's getting to be a pretty popular afternoon sort of for the guys out here is find something to binge and just watch it because it feels the time and it's enjoyed and it gets your head out of your putting stroke or your golf swing or tell me about a golf and it's just that nice little kind of tune out and shut down and just watch TV. So I watch. I'm running out of shows to watch because I've done them all the last four or five years. But that's the new thing.
Speaker 1: I imagine that technology has made it far, far easier for the tour pro to keep themselves busy.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's brilliant. Now, I mean good old days. Well, my early days was just the early days of remember like sticking the cable into the phone and trying to find the dial up code, and every now and then you'd get a half decent thing and you could look at the Internet for about half an hour, but it was such a frustrating experience that it really wasn't something to fill your afternoon. And the movies on TV were expensive and you'd seen them all and it's great now. Yeah, I mean phones and computers and iPads and you can there's tons of guys. There's guys travel with xboxes and play video games together and like online stuff. And it's much easier to waste an afternoon now than it ever used to be. Yeah, it's quite funny.
Speaker 1: What's the what's your favorite favorite series that you've you've binged?
Speaker 2: I think my favorite show I think was The Wire. Oh yeah, this is an incredible show. I mean I think the first one I binged with Sopranos, which is pretty normal for a lot of people. It's one of those go to shows. I remember watching Sopranos when it was on a few times, you know, every few Sundays you'd accidentally, Oh, the Sopranos is on. And I probably watched twenty of the however many of their episodes that there are sixty episodes over the period that it was on, but never really followed the story. I just kind of enjoyed watching it. But when I binge that start to finish, I mean it was it's so much better when you can go back to back to back and you're really the story develops and you really start rooting for Tony and it's a really I really really enjoyed that, so then I kind of then someone recommended if you like the Sopranos, because I thought the soprano everyone said, this is like the best show I ever made, which people say about a lot of stuff, but someone so if you like that, you got to watch The Wires. Incredible And I hadn't even heard of it, never even remembered it what was on TV. But it I've watched it all the way through twice. It's just I think it's just it's so real. I've never lived in Baltimore downtown, but it seems real. It's not all fluff for TV. It's like this is you know, this is what it is, and it's a brilliant show, fantastic.
Speaker 1: I was in college when The Wire was was coming out, and I mean, I just my friends and I I think I've watched each season probably about six to ten times. It's it's just the best show I think they did. The What's so fascinating is how they encapsulated every single level of government and city so well, you know, from the mayor all the way down to the drug addict.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it was just amazing. And it was nobody was the hero, no one was the bad guy. It was just like this is the way it is, you know. It was I mean the cops were as bent as the criminals in some situations. Some of the criminals are really good guy Robin Hood type guys, you know, like that Omar. I was getting from the bad guys and giving to the good guys. And it was just a just really well done. I had so much depth. You know, you couldn't miss an episode because so much happened in an episode, and it would just follow different characters and you'd have your favorites. I just thought it was and all kind of no name actors at the time, right, no one famous, brilliant own. It's just a brilliant show.
Speaker 1: So if you weren't playing professional golf, what do you think you'd be doing?
Speaker 2: Well, what I think i'd be doing is I'd probably be teaching golf or working in a golf shop somewhere. I like to think I have some sort of great, high level corporate job and be living this dream snow, but that I don't think that would have the reality is I was going to be My education was in golf. I mean I went to school and I did fine, but in my head was always in golf. I mean, if I didn't make it, as long as I had a job where I was around golf, I would have been happy. Hopefully I would have ended up building golf courses, but I think I probably would have ended up a club pro somewhere folding some shirts. But if my dream, if it wasn't that, that would be the reality of it. If I wasn't quite good enough, I would have been there. If the dream would have been a place to play music. I've always loved music. I always dabble on the guitar, and I remember listening to music from the youngest age possible. I mean, I think the Walkman. I got it when I was about twelfth birthday or something. I got a Walkman and I did not have it off my head for like ten years. I just loved it. It was just amazing. I still love music. The fantasy would be like something involved in the music industry, not necessarily a rock star, but just involved in music. Favorite band, Well, that's a tough question all in all. If you put it all in like, I'd probably say Zeppelin, like because they just they got a bit for they've got something for everyone, and they really kind of changed music a lot, and a lot of music kind of came out of kind of what Zeppelin were doing because they kind of mixed so many genres together. And it really was the first supergroup, you know, I mean four outrageous musicians getting together and they actually stayed together for ten years. Prolific songwriters. I mean four albums in the first three years, and they were all just completely legendary, right, yeah, that would be the historic best, but probably current music and stuff like Black Keys, White Stripes, Nirvana was a big band for me when I was young, Like Cobaine, it's just a legend. Listen to stuff like Amy wine House and a lot across the board everywhere. Really not a whole lot of like rap and hip hop, but I'll listen to a little bit of old school hip hop and rap every now and then. But well, just anything based with based in rock, punk, rock, classic rock, a little bit of metal every now and then. So that's kind of guitar based music mostly.
Speaker 1: Is Zeppelin created their own genre, which is it's kind of fascinating how everything trends. It I think parallels with music, parallels with golf, course architecture really well in the sense that the guys like Dope and Core and Crenshaw Crying kind of recreated a new genre and then you know, every all the trends in the industry follow them, just like you know, the Golden Age, and then you know you had what Die was doing, you know, when he started introducing new concepts. It's it's pretty fascinating how music and architecture have a parallel there.
Speaker 2: I think I think about that all the time. Actually, that's funny that you say that. I mean, I really do. I think. I mean, Zeppelin really all that kind of sixties kind of seventy early seventies music. I mean, if you trace all of it back, it all goes back to like the Delta Blues, you know, Robert Johnson stuff. It all had this root in the blues, which would be like the golden age of music, right, the golden age of rock music, I guess would be the blues from the Southern US. I mean that was kind of the roots of it all, and Zeppelin just took that and did it the best, you know, and they took it to so many wild and wonderful places and so much variety. It was it really was. Yeah, the Pete Die kind of Robert Trent Jones kind of period that fifties, sixties, seventies, kind of even eighties really was more specific genres, you know, like it was, I mean Pete there was a little heavy metal, right, It was a bit sadistic. It was all about kind of messing with the player's head, getting him to feel kind of confused and out and out difficult, you know, in a great way. I think Pete Pete was great, but yeah, really really difficult. And then you had the fluffy style that the pop music. There's been so much fluff in architecture, you know, like fountains and like white sand and stripy fairways. I mean that's the pop music, right, That's the Bay City rollers and with no depth. And it's great the first listen when you're great, the first listen, or the first time you go play the course. But after a while you realize there's just nothing there. It's the parallels are great. I'm glad you brought that. I've been the only other person I've ever heard say that.
Speaker 1: Last year I called on Twitter. Firestone is like Nickelback. You realize that every hole is like the same song. Over and over again, and I got just so much heat from Northeast Ohio just trying to defend their tour stout.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, yeah, Akron is lacking depth, there's no question. I mean, it's it's great in that it's historic and everybody who's been a great player for the last fifty years has played there, and that does something to a place that that that creates like a like a vibe or sort of some history, and there's something about that. It's always in such a maculate condition and great players have always won there, So that's what it's got going for it. But it is a little bit nickelback in that there's no there's not a whole lot of depth, and it really isn't going to inspire you. It doesn't inspire like you don't really want to go out and play it.
Speaker 1: Again, speaking of the WGCs, you h you won three in your career and two of them were the match play tournament. Is there something about match play that particularly fits your game or the way you play.
Speaker 2: Well? Firstly, I think I think there's a few factors why I'm good at it or I have been good at it. Firstly, we play a lot of match play in Australia growing up more. I mean, I think it's probably less now than there was in say the eighties and nineties when I was kind of coming through. But every serious amateur tournament bar a couple of them, would maybe you qualified with a thirty six ol stroke play, but it always ended in match play, and we had this interclub pennant stuff. And Australia and especially in Victoria, it's great. All the golf courses are in what they call pennance, which is there's about eight clubs in the division and each team every Sunday for about eight weeks in sort of March April May sends their best eight players to go play against the best eight players of another club and it creates these kind of cool little rivalries between the clubs. And the sand Belt clubs in Melbourne have always had some of the best players in Australia coming through and we all wanted to play it. So it was this kind of of many little kind of Ryder Cup style kind of team match play that we would play every week for eight weeks and it was a lot of pride at stake, I mean it was and if you were playing number one or number two, you were playing a top twenty amateur in Australia every single week, and we did that every year, and we did a lot of that, and that was a big deal for us. So I played a lot when I was young. It's also my favorite form of the game. I just the only one of the only reasons I think people generally have long term like annoyances with golf is it's always attached to score. It's very rarely just attached with just playing gore a shot eighty eight today or whatever it is. The score really affects people's enjoyment of the game, and I think match play completely gets rid of that, and you just it's just a bare bones competition and it really doesn't matter what you shoot. If you beat your friend, you're happy, you know, or your opponent, and it's a good thing. And I just think it's it brings out better levels of golfing people, or worse, it exposes weaknesses. And I just really enjoy the whole, the whole match play thing. It doesn't work commercially, obviously professionally, and that's kind of been proven for years that it doesn't really like we couldn't really do it every week. It just doesn't fit the kind of corporate model that we play under. But I love playing it. And also I think if I've ever had issues when I play golf, it's because it's a common thing. It's pretty most golf is that. But my head gets a little bit too in my golf swing and a little bit too in technique and hit a bad shot and I start messing with my swing. And match play I do that a lot less because it's so final, like your opponents had a decent shot, where you better hit a good shot, so you kind of get your hit out of your swing and more into the shot, And I think it gets my head in a better place to play. So I think it's kind of a there's a few reasons why I was decent. I think.
Speaker 1: I think match play is so much so interesting too because of the recovery shots, Like you know, there's so much less penalty for making a seven, so you get the chance to hit, you know, great shots. You can try them more often than you know in stroke play where you know you're hit in trouble and then it's hey, how can I get out of here with the chance for par and at worse make a bogie?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's a much more free wheeling thing. Yeah, you can. You will take on stuff that is would be completely like absurd in a stroke play, and especially in a four round stroke play, you're kind of building your house, right, You've got to build a foundation, do everything right along the way, and maybe the end product adds up. All right. Yeah, match play, I mean it's three four shots and that's done. Forget about that and go to the next It doesn't matter if you had throw balls out of bounds or you had spin one into the water, like Sergio at the Masters say like that, that's fine, Like you just you just go to the next hole. It doesn't completely end your week. So you do you usually and you'll see that and the match playing in the Rider Cup and President's Cup, the level of golf player is always higher because because because of the team aspect, but also because of that aspect that it it's it's it's success or it doesn't matter, you know, it's there's no you don't carry any failures to the next hole.
Speaker 1: So I'm curious from your perspective, is winning at the professional level overrated and is consistency underrated? When you start to evaluate somebody's career.
Speaker 2: Probably now both is obviously a sign of a proper golfer. Anyone who's done both, you know, played for a long time and won a lot of tournaments. You know, the Fred Couples, Davis Love, Tiger Woods, Michelson VJ. I mean, clearly there's a class of player that ticks both boxes, and that's obviously the ideal. But if you ask guys out here, let's say a guy, there might be some guys out here who won five or six times in twenty years but spent the rest of the time missing cuts and just really not competing. Competing once a year and maybe winning once every two years. I mean, that's that's great, and historically that gets recognized higher than say a player like I'll pick on someone Charles Howe. Yes, I was thinking about who's a benchmark who every If you ask every player out here except that kind of handful of guys who have won piles and piles of tournaments, almost everyone would have enjoyed Charles Howes's career. I mean, he's spent his career finishing between fifth and twentieth. He puts a massive check in the bank every week and he just plays what it's just got to be fun to play that well all the time. It's just he hits the ball great, he parts great, He's got zero no weaknesses as a The only weakness you would suggest is that his CV doesn't have enough wins for a guy that good. But he will historically go down as like not that great. But anyone who's played with him or been out here for the period that he's been out here, I mean he would. A guy like him is held in very high regard by the players, but maybe by the media and stuff, maybe not so much. As I said, history likes wins and especially majors and big wins. I think it's probably Look, there's a balance. I think both. I think both is both as good signs. I think the consistent guy like I don't know who, like a Jay Haass play six or seven hundred tournaments or whatever he did and kept his card pretty much every single year and was always putting checks in the bank and was always kind of there or thereabouts and contended a few times a year and just a really really quality player. I mean, that is much harder to do than to do that for thirty years than it is to just come up win twice in two years and then be offered to it. There's piles and piles of those guys. I think we all aspire for consistency. We all dream about winning, but we aspire to consistency about that.
Speaker 1: That's I think that's I feel like everybody is always trying to get more consistent. Even when Tiger was at his peak, he talked about trying to be more consistent. And obviously the more times you're in contention, you have more chances to win, so it goes hand in hand.
Speaker 2: And to me, the fun part, the fun part is contending. The winning is great, right. The winning is like the birthday cake at the end of the party. It's just tremendous. It's like you all look forward to it and that's great, But everyone at the party has a good time, you know. I mean it's the party. I mean the party. That's the fun. It's the playing and the stress and the pressure and the first team and the nerves and hitting shots when you're a bit unsure about it and coming up with what you've been working on in practice and it works in the tournament. That's the fun. I mean, that's the real joy of it. Like it's the it's the hitting the great shot when you're really really your hands are shaking and you're not really sure about it and you've been dreaming of that shot from your kill. You hold that great part in the last hold, even if it's a great part to make the cut on Friday, then you've really been grinding and you hold that twelve foot left to right to make I mean, that's the moment. That's what makes it a great job. That to me, that's the fun and contention. You just get that sort of stuff way more often, and the win is just the is the cherry on top. You know, it's great and we all want to do it, and all the stuff that comes with winning is brilliant. But if you just gave me the trophies and the money and didn't let me actually have the experience of it, I don't know if I would take it. The experience of it is what is the real kind of joy of the job.
Speaker 1: Is there an event that you didn't win that you were in, like the contention deep that like you remember the most and think about the most.
Speaker 2: I don't really actually, I mean I was fairly lucky h to this point. Hopefully I'm not done vern I might be, but hopefully I've got a few more. I pop up there a couple more times. But I've never really I've gone away a little bit kind of, oh, you could have done better than you could have you finished third this week or whatever, you probably should have done that. But I've never really had any regrets. I've never thank goodness, hit one out of bounds on seventeen, or like, missed a short part that really really mattered to me. I mean, I've missed plenty of short parts, don't get me wrong, but not one that I carried with me too much. There's plenty of tournaments that I wish I'd played a little better. I mean the Masters in twenty eleven, when Charlburdie the last five hole of were readd. I finished fourth and I ended up four shots behind. But at the time I was tied for the lead on the seventeenth before he went nuts, and that was great and I really enjoyed it. But I'd had two parts in a three part that week, and I if I had any regrets and now early in the week, but I looked back and like, those four parts were just three parts, you know, But I didn't carry it with me for very long. I mean I don't. I haven't really had any that I've just taken a while to get over. No real heartbreak. I mean I don't see the point pretty much every tournament. It's so difficult out here that when you actually have a good tournament, unless you really really just give it away on the last couple of holes, which thank goodness, I've never done. I usually leave after a good tournament excited about the next one because, oh I'm informed, like I've just finished third. Shit, I can win next week. Let's go next week. I get so excited about the next week because of how my game is that I haven't really looked back. I haven't really carried any regrets really, So that's a nice thing.
Speaker 1: It's a fun game when you're playing well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. I mean that's what you do it for, right, I mean, it's so hard to play well for any length of time that when you do so, it's just the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's everything starts clicking. So if what's the tournament that you haven't won yet that you'd most like to win, is it the Masters?
Speaker 2: It'd be the Masters or the Open, the Open Open, not the US Open. Obviously, the Masters is such a beautiful tournament. It's such just the idea that you could go back and play there for pretty much as long as you wanted. And the Masters is pretty special, pretty high on my list, and the Open too. I mean, winning an Open, they'd be equal for me. They're clearly equal first, you know, where everything else would be playing for third if you like, Yeah, it's the amazing. I mean, I love the Open. They Opens such a beautiful, special tournament. But you can have bad experiences of the Open. If you get the bad drawer and you get the horrible weather, it's like you kind of wonder why you even play this bought sometimes and sideways reign in Scotland, you know, but you never have that at the Masters. You know, it's just all and that's not the Open fault. That's part of it, and that's and you've got to enjoy that aspect of it. But getting bad draws and just getting basically getting a bad your number gets pulled out of the hat at the wrong time and you get your chance for the tournament basically gets taken away from you. There's that aspect. This is kind of a bit frustrating sometimes the Masters, just because of it's such an exclusive place, and it's such a hard place to get in the gate. Even to basically have kind of the past, to go to Augusta whenever you wander for the rest of your life, that would be pretty special.
Speaker 1: What about Augusta makes it so great?
Speaker 2: They tick every box? Firstly, I'm not a big proponent for the exclusivity of the place. I'm not big on these kind of closed door clubs that perhaps and have not kind of side of things. I mean, I know it exists, and it's part of it, and that's part of why the Masters is the Masters, right because no one's really allowed to go there and we for one week a year, we get the glimpse it on TV and the lucky few get to go see it, right. I mean, that's that's part of its appeal. I get that. But the courses, the courses like strategically the most interesting we play outside of perhaps some of the open courses. It's there's no stone unturned, you know. They the food is incredibly good. The practice range now is just the best there is. I mean, it's there's the practice rounds for us, there's there's only players and caddies inside the ropes. There's no one else there, so you don't get these like seventeen odd people entourages walking down the first fairway, you know, with with psychologists and trainers and stuff and the fairies, which just kind of makes the practice rounds a bit of a mess, you know, like the autograph policy and that they have this great setup where kids get kids have a little spot and we all signed to the kids and we're not really supposed to sign on the golf course side of the clubhouse. So we have these great practice round where you actually start interacting with the fans a little bit because they're not throwing sharpies in your face, you know, so you have conversations their cell phone, chatting under the tree and stuff. It's just great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the cell phone thing too. They aren't taking pictures, so they're actually brilliant.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just they've just got everything worked out, you know. Like and I've obviously been there a lot of times, and so every time, I mean, we all use our tickets and you get a lot of friends when you're getting into the Masters, obviously, but I've never had someone I've taken to the Masters not walk out going, oh my god, that's the best sporting event I've ever been to. I mean, everybody says the same thing. I mean, it's just across the board, just the just the best sporting event there is in the world. From that, from a from a event kind of running perspective, there might be I mean the Olympics is great, and the World Cup soccer and ride a Cup and all that, but from a from how they run the tournament, like a from a management thing, it's just it's just amazing. And every year you go back, they've just kind of you didn't think there was anything wrong with it, but they've just kind of made it just a little bit better. You know. It's it's an incredible production. And the golf course they've got it so dialed in. They understand their golf course so well that they they don't they can't dictate who's going to play well, but they really can kind of decide by pimpositions and set up how how it's going to come down to the end, how it's going to come down to the end on Sunday, you know, I mean they kind of they can set up the course so it's difficult on Thursday and a little bit easier on Friday, and then if they don't, if it's a little bit tough on Friday, then then and then they let guys have a few birdies on Saturday to create the excitement. I mean, it just got it so worked out. It's very hard to remember too many Masters that, with two hours to play weren't EDGBC compelling, you know, every single time. It just seems to be that way. Yeah, it's it's just I mean, I'm obviously like being maybe even over positive or about this, but it's just there is no other event that seems to get it right more often than they do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, the one that looked like it was going to be a snooze fest in recent time was speak and sure enough, then twelve happened, and then it was like one of the most fascinating finishes of the last ten years. But so, I mean, Augusta is a it's a really cool place in the Masters. Obviously, it's like the pinnacle of the golf yere, which is kind of depressing that it happens in April. But how have you noticed that the professional game has changed over your career in the last fourteen years or so since you've been prevalent on the PGA Tour.
Speaker 2: Well, the obvious thing is well, the obvious thing is that the way guys hit the ball and the way guys work on their golf games. I mean, I was coming kind of coming up at the end of that era where we still really didn't know how to swing it. Probably you know, there was still lots of schools of thought on technique. Your coaching and stuff would be a little bit of guesswork, a little bit of filling. Each coach would have his own like kind of take on some and some of them were really different. And guys really didn't start hitting the ball well un till they're in their thirties, and didn't really start playing very well until really kind of getting into that top echelon until they were in their thirties and they had ten years under that belt and they'd kind of really learned how to play goal golf. It's different now, I mean, it's it's so well coached. The I think the video camera was the worst thing that ever happened for golf technique, and I think track Man might be the best. It's it's just a guys swing it great. When they're young, they hit it miles, they've got their bodies under control. I mean, the fitness side of it is much more understood. They just the youngsters come out much more polished, much just just more experienced looking players like first year and that never happened before, Like it was. It just it just it used to take such a long time to learn the craft that you really you just did your time for the first two or five or six years until you kind of worked it out. And every now and then there was an outlier like Tiger or Sergio that got it dumbs right away, but generally it was a tough game to learn quickly, and guys are learning it much quicker.
Speaker 1: That's kind of one of my theories on what's happened with pro golf and why there's been this twenty year old explosion was that, you know, my generation, your generation, like I didn't, like now, I know really how to swing a golf club, and I didn't when I was in college and in high school. But when TrackMan came out, it really changed, and you know, this generation's kind of had to adapt their swing to this this idea ideal you know swing. But these young twenty year old kids have learned from the beginning how to swing it properly.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean I think track Man it completely flipped around. Without getting too technical, I mean, everybody always had the ball starting on your swing path and a curving relative to the face. Well, I guess all of a sudden, track Man and the launch model has proved that actually, now the ball starts on the face faceline, which was a complete reversal of what everybody thought. And for the non technical minor that probably doesn't mean that much, but it completely opened everyone's eyes about how to get the club on the ball. And then everybody started working out where you're going to have to arrange your body this way in order for impact to be this way. It's a game technically full of contradictions, and it's such a game of opposites all the way through which Hogan references to his books. I mean, Hogan obviously had all this worked out, but it took him thirty years of banging balls on the range to get there. Right. Kids are getting there now and they're twenty because of things like track Man. But it from day one. I mean they tell you to hit it down to make the ball go up. I mean that is just against all instinct that we have to swing down to make the ball go up. If the ball goes low, all we all want to just lift it up. But what happens is when you start trying to lift it up, is you either top of the ball and it goes really low, or if you're actually talented, you'll hit the club on the ball and the ball will start slicing to the right. So the ball goes to the right. So going to make the next one go right? So you start swinging really hard over the top. You swing it left because you don't want the club to the ball to go right. So what does that make it? It makes it go further to the right. And the game is full of that, and we had to fight that, you know. But pre all this understanding, it was really was trial by error. And it's really hard to find something trial by error when all of your instincts are the opposite of what they need to be. It's a goal. So this this the track man and understanding really what does make a ball draw or make it fade or go a long way or whatever has kind of kind of opened the door of this great coaching. When you said these guys like XEROFL they come out and their kids and they just swing. It's so technically pure, that they're so far in front of the curve from relative to where we were when we were twenty one twenty two, that it's it's almost not a fair fight anymore, you know. It's incredible.
Speaker 1: So I'm curious when we're talking about young players of you know, there's a plethora of young talented Australians. If you if you could invest, you know, like a stack in one of them, who would it be.
Speaker 2: That's an interesting question because I think the most talent that I see is a kid called Ryan Ruffles who's playing in the Latin America Tour at the moment. He's kind of he turned pro very young, about eighteen, even seventeen maybe, and he's been fighting to get on the web dot com and he kind of he just missed getting off that Latin America Tour to get on the web dot com last year because he didn't probably play enough events. But purely watching him play in the talent level, it's very very sound. I mean, he hits the ball, smashes it as far as Rory does, and put's great and hits it well and his swing is perfect, and to me it only seems like a matter of time. But golf is a strange game, right, and if you spend too long kind of struggling and battling down on those smaller tours, that he can create a bit of scar tissue when they're in the head and it can take some time. But he looks the one on paper and when you play with him that he has all the tools. But the Australian kid who won the US Amuter, Curtis Luck, he plays a different game. It's a really interesting game. Shapes the ball a lot. He plays a little bit like Bubba, I mean, a different golf and a bob. He doesn't hit it as far, but he loves it in big draws and big fade, low ones in the back pins and high ones in the front pins. He plays a really cool golf and he plays golf like someone who's a lot older than him. He plays very sensible golf. And he's been doing quite well and he's on the web this year, and I think it won't take him too long, and I think he'll do really really well. I think, And there's a few others, but they're the two i'd pick out off the time. I mean, Ruffles looks on paper like, if he gets a all worked out, he's going to be he could be a world better. And Curtis Luck, he's one of those guys. He looks like he could be on tour for a really long time. Smart guy plays, as I said, a really cool version of the game, and he's a cool character. He does it his own way, which I think is which is to be admired. I think in this current world of you've got to do it this way, You've got to do it this way. He says, no, no, no, no, I'm gonna do it Curtis Lock's way, and this is going to be fine. But they're the two old pick I mean, and they do different style of players, and I wouldn't want to I wouldn't bet on either one. I'd put them each way, bet on both of them.
Speaker 1: There's two good picks. A yeah, Curtis Is he was the first ever player to qualify two ways as an amateur for the Masters.
Speaker 2: So that's pretty neat. Yeah, how about that? That's incredible in it? I mean two. I mean it's hard enough for a professional we get thirty chances of year to get into that tournament. He get two chances and he got them both incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's that's I don't know if that'll ever You talk about things that may never ever be done again, and that's definitely one of them. So you've been quoted as a big fan of the LPGA and women's golf because of the creativity kind of what you were talking about with Curtis, the mechanics, their swings. If you were running the PGA Tour, how would you try and make the PGA Tour product a little bit more appealing?
Speaker 2: Well, the first thing I would do is I would slowly, I would hire people who understood what great golf courses were, and I would try my utmost to get PGA two events to architecturally interesting golf courses. They don't have to be significant and like way up on the rankings, but interesting because interesting golf courses produce great winners, and they produce great winners who play. It's more interesting to watch someone play golf courses that have great strategic interests like Riviera. I mean, is there a better hold to watch professional golf play than tenet riv It's just fascinating. You can watch it all day and thirteen at the Masters, I mean, or you go to s Andrews. It doesn't translate on TV as well. But if you go to s Andrew's and you watch a few of those hold it and you'll watch one hundred prose come through, and they'll hit it in a hundred different places because they all have a little different theory or a little different feel about how to play the whole. To me, that's more interesting, and you'll get a better type of winner. Not that the type of winners we have it bad, but you'll you'll see golfers will get better because they have to be better, and they have to have more variety and more thoughts. So I would go to more interesting golf courses. They'll be the first thing I would do. Outside of that, I think some different formats would be interesting. I think seventy two holf stroke players got just a little bit kind of it's just a little bit too much of it. I mean, we have so much of it that the format might be getting a little bit older. I like the s I like the stable for the kind of format that kind of encourages aggression a little bit more. You know, two points for Bertie only minus one for a bogie. That that format I think is pretty interesting. But I would get to know somehow. You've got to get to know the players. You know that you know the NFL sounds of the game, yeah, where it's like it's the best my favorite part of the NFL. I mean, I love watching football, but the when you have that little show on the NFL network or whatever during the week and they have all the talk of the quarterbacks of their players, or the defensive leader on the side of the field yelling at his players, selling them the fire, and the little smart ass comments they make back and forth like kind of I'm going to get you this time, I'm going to get you this time, or you're not going to catch me, all that stuff, and it just makes football more interesting because you just you're on the field for a minute. I would love to see responsible marking of players and caddies. And I say responsible in that I don't think we should be catching the social conversations of players at all. I don't think that's right at all. It's just part of the nice nice thing about playing golf is having little chats that no one else can hear, right, That's part of the fun. But the golf specific talk, I think people would lap that up. I think it would just be amazing. I mean it's a very hard thing, as I said, to do, because everyone's got a record button and there's some guy in the truck who's going to have a tape of two guys talking about something that would be interesting to people if it came out public. But the golf talk, I mean people want to hear that. I mean, what is Ricky saying that like scof like in those last couple of holes. What's he saying, I'm going to go at that pin on seventeen at Sawgrass? Or is he telling SCoV that he's going to hit at thirty feet left but he's actually aiming at the pin. That stuff is that is interesting, And I think whenever you get inside, if you can feel inside the game a little bit more, it becomes you know the players a little bit better and you relate to them, and there'd be more people would have more kind of heroes and a few more favorite players, you know, because they'd really liked the way a guy kind of went about it and chatted about it and talk to his caddy, and caddies would be a little bit more famous even because they'd begin everyone would see their level of involvement. I know the tour really kind of wants to do it, but it's really, as I said, loistic. It's a difficult thing in this day and age when everyone's got to you could post it to the whole world and inappropriate come in here or there. It would be it'd be around the world in thirty seconds. And that's a scary. That's a scary prospect, but I think it would make the product better.
Speaker 1: It'd be cool too. I mean, you could do it as like a midweek show from the week before, and it would only be more fascinating if you played more interesting, stimulating golf courses, because then all of a sudden you'd have, you know, more conversations about what are we going to do here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the moments like the conversation that guys have on the top of the hill and fisteen that the masters. I mean, we see the bombers these days hitting adines and stuff end on Sunday and it's but generally the whole field like you're standing there and like it's a shot that you you know you have to go for the green, but you really don't want to, you know, which is why it's such an interesting shot, and you'll get caddies trying to talk players out of staff from players trying to talk to caddy into saying no, this is a good idea, and you get there's a little minute of real tension, you know, real kind of real stuff, you know, and like you say, it could be the next week, just like the sounds of the game in the NFL show, like midweek, this is kind of what happened last weekend, like this is what we thought was cool. Like that would be really fascinating, I think, and as you said on the tenth at Riviera, like the conversations you have would be fantastic. You know, I'm hitting driving, No, you're not. The three on We decided that on Tuesday. Now I'm going to hit a driver. No, we decided three on out the left was the point. And you get those things. I mean that that's what we're privy to that you know, if we know that, so they're not interesting to the players inside the road, but we're the only people who've ever heard that stuff. No one else has. And I think that that would a lot of appeal and the fans and the public and the viewers would just get a little bit more of a window into the job and what it involves and the personalities and everything going forward to be and the white I think about golf. I think it'd be great. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's like the thing that a lot of like the common golf fan doesn't. It's so hard for a fifteen handicap to wrap their head around the game that you guys play because it's it's way different than the you know, weekend Warriors game at the local muni. And I think getting an inside look, and I mean, I think it's so funny. You bring up, like, you know, you have a game plan and you say, I'm not going to do this all week and then like almost all the time you end up having to do. You you pull driver on a hole. You say you're never going to pull driver on but like why was that? And like just getting the inside look to that stuff would create a better and more engaged and more you know, passionate golf fan.
Speaker 2: I think, I mean, I think it's it's sama no brainer. But as I said, there's clearly a big issue with them catching stuff that shouldn't be public consumption, you know, I mean, most stuff that guys talk about, it's perfectly a name. It's like what the weekend worried thought. And they're talking about the girlfriend or their wife, or the football, the Cowboys last weekend or whatever it is, and it's all pretty a name. But every now and then they might have something that's not appropriate. I think the players kick back against it would be that, like they just don't want to get in trouble and they don't want to feel like they have to be a mute because everybody's recording every word they say. But if you could pull it off and make it work, it would be it'd be fascinating. I think people would, and I think it would be on one level, an instructional. It'd be instructional for people too, because you would just you would learn so much about how different guys view the game, and you would learn how Phil I mean, Phil's conversations with Bones historically are just amazing. I mean they're brilliant. I mean you couldn't make them up. The best fiction writer ever couldn't make those compass up. And like, it would be great if people got to hear some of those a little bit more than just when the guy comes over with the ferry microphone, Like if you actually heard the whole thing from start to finish, and it would have relativity to what they were talking about on the tea when they were going into the second shot, So it was just really really interesting stuff and how he would go about it versus Tiger and Stevie back in the day, or like Ricky and Joe. It's like everybody's viewing golf a slightly different way. And I think the way we kind of talk, especially under the under pressure and under the real situation, you really exposed kind of people's weaknesses and strengths. And I think it would be just it'd be it'd be like a level of access that no one's ever had. I think it would be really interesting.
Speaker 1: It would be fascinating. I could only imagine some of the conversations.
Speaker 2: And you've been listening to the Right Egg podcast, we do the digging for you.