Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour.
Speaker 2: On this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show, We'll check in with the Pacers. Quinn Buckner, their broadcaster former NBA player, will join us as Pacers are a win away from going to the NBA Finals, thanks in large part to Tyre's Halliburton thirty two, fifteen and twelve rebounds. Tonight, the Timberwolves holding on for dear life. The Thunderer went away from going to the NBA Finals. Minnesota is getting eight and a half. The Oilers up three to one on the Stars Panthers Hurricanes. That's game five. Panthers up three to one in that one. And Shohyotani that's three games in a row with a home run. He now has twenty on the season. Eight seven seven to three. DP Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot Com, Twitter handle a DP show. The stat of the Day has always brought you my Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Say good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country. We'll get to those phone calls coming up as we make way for the man they call buck He is Quinn Buckner, the Pacers color analyst, former NBA player, joining us on the program. Quinn, great to see you again. How would you do we have him?
Speaker 3: I think we need a minute. I think we got to call it twenty for mister Buckner. He just needs Okay, we had him for a second. Then all right, we lost him?
Speaker 2: Okay, Oh I did I commit a turnover there?
Speaker 3: I think it was a not on your side? Oh okay, little technical issue. Still looking at a triple double though, yes, yeah, cool, yeah, but I can't have a triple double without a turnover here. I can't join Tyrese Haliburton.
Speaker 4: We got to see how they credit that in the box score there?
Speaker 2: What is the poll question for the final hour.
Speaker 4: How many MVPs will show hey Tani finish his career with? Right now, four has forty percent of that vote. It actually goes exactly in order four or five, six, and then seven with just twelve percent of that vote. And we also have up there, which team down three to one is most done? Timberwolves running away with that one, followed actually pretty closely by Hurricanes, followed pretty closely by the Knicks. People believe most in the Stars. They only have nine percent of that vote.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul, I was thinking if anyone ever had a triple double with turnovers included, I know that would not be a positive one, but it'd still be a triple double. I wonder about the most turnovers by a player in an NBA game? Do you think it's more than ten?
Speaker 2: But is that part of your triple double? That you had points, rebounds, turnovers.
Speaker 3: It's not positive, but it counts as a triple double.
Speaker 2: Well, there was one player, was it Nate Thurman who had a quadruple double? Did he have points, rebounds.
Speaker 3: Blocks, and assistments?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 3: I think had a couple of those.
Speaker 2: Did he really?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think had two quad quad doubles. Okay, quad dubs.
Speaker 2: They would be quadruple doubles. And you had a qdum out there.
Speaker 3: For checking.
Speaker 2: Uh auto in Los Angeles? Hi, Otto, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 5: You doing, guys?
Speaker 7: I had to write about the NFL schedule, but I wanted to say something about the New York Knicks. About Boomer saying about the celebrities, I kind of agreed with him because Game one it looked like a freaking high school homecoming basketball game and had all the former stars there. Everybody's high five and clapping, and then they thought it was sweet and then ended up losing that game. So I think it's something to do with it. As far as the NFL. I'm a Charger season ticket holder, and the Chiefs start coming out here for the home game because they're in freaking Brazil. So do you think the NFL should be scheduling NFL Ribery Division games out of country?
Speaker 2: No? I don't, but the NFL doesn't care what we think. And you know, I brought this up when they started to do this. You know, we were gonna do more NFL games in Europe around the world, and I said, you are going the NFL will create a schedule that will be international games, an entire schedule for international games. And that's exactly what they've done. So now you can, you know, bid that out, and then you know networks are gonna spend billions of dollars on that. Quinn Buckner, Pacers TV color analyst, former NBA player, joining us on the program. Buck Good to see you. How would you describe the atmosphere last night?
Speaker 5: Very much?
Speaker 6: I wouldn't say chaotic. It was fun. It really is exciting. You know, basketball is a big part of what the state of Indiana is about. You know, it's in the ethos of the of all of the fans, and so to see the Pacers at this stage, I mean, as you know, and those at watch Reggie's there, Jermaine O'Neill is their lances there.
Speaker 5: I mean, you've got a number of the guy Danny Granger.
Speaker 6: Who had not been back came to the game and excuse me and Triple H. I'm not into wrestling, but that's a big deal for Reggie. I'm not so Reggie, but for Tyrese because Tyres is a big wrestling fan. So you got all of that going and John Mellencamp. It was it was a lot of fun, just a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Much more iconic Reggie's choke to Spike Lee or Tyrese Halliburton recreated that choke.
Speaker 6: Well, the fact that he recreated it is pretty creative on his part, but well it's not creative, but it's something that he wanted to do. But I have to say Reggie's is by far the most iconic. I don't think there's any question about. First of all, that's say points nine seconds. That's a huge difference when you look at it. Even though tyrese got it going, could have moved that footback and make the shot.
Speaker 5: But I'll tell you what this is. This kid is.
Speaker 6: He's not a kid, he's a young man, but he really gets what winning basketball is about, and it's it's important for him to share it with his teammates. And that's one of the reasons why this team can run, because guys will run if you know you're gonna get the ball, and he will throw the ball to you. And he does it very uniquely. He even admitted he's one of the few guys in the league that does a lot of jump passes, which for many of the older generation understand that was something that was taboo. But he has the ability to find a pathway to deliver his teammates the ball. And equally important, his teammates understand if he gets in the air, you gotta get open because you don't want him to travel with it, so they make an effort to give him the space and then from there it's knocking down the shot.
Speaker 2: He's got swagger, but he's likable, like he doesn't have that you know where you don't like him because he's so cocky.
Speaker 6: Excuse me, typical view. That's a great observation. You're very observant. Yeah, he really does. And that's why he can play with his teammates and they're not jealous because he's not trying to take the limelight and carry it for himself off. It really is his pride in how he plays and plays for his team and plays for the guys. He's big on his guys. As a human being. When you're around it, he lights up a room. He wants to make sure everybody is comfortable. All those kinds of things that you like about human being. He makes sure he engages you everybody, and I mean top to bottom. Pardon me, including those if you will, because I've always watched guys to try to see how they treat if you will, the back office, the back room, how do you treat people there? This guy is the same with everyone. And when he gets on the court, you know, guys, I have to understand. He's just a really good guy. It just happened to be one heck of a basketball player.
Speaker 2: Can the Knicks come back?
Speaker 5: Can is a word that you can use on it at any time.
Speaker 6: I think the pace is are hard for the Knicks to play against because the Knicks are more of.
Speaker 5: Their slower paced team, which is typical.
Speaker 6: This is what's unusual about this to me and maybe you because you watched the sports Mini sports, but this one. The game typically slows down in the playoffs, and the further you go, as I was fortunate enough to do with the Celtics and others, the further you go up that ladder, the more it slows down. The Pacers have managed to maintain their pace for the most part the game they lost. They lost the pace at the end of I think it was the first half, in the beginning of the third quarter, and it caused them a problem. With this kind of pace, it's going to make it very, very difficult. But you know, can is a word, but I don't know it's gonna really.
Speaker 2: He's Queen Buckner, the Pacers TV color analyst. You were prominently featured in the Celtics documentary. A couple of stories stood out. When your wife wanted to know how confident Larry was going into the game seven in nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she was very concerned about that, and Larry, We're gonna win, and Larry just gets out of the car like we all do. Get out of the car. Yeah, and just keeps walking. I mean he did. He just kept walking, and my wife, I think, felt better about the whole situation. But that that is Larry, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. He is the ultimate confident guy. But Larry looks at it. He's just playing a basketball game. He never looked at it like I said, you know, he knows this seventh game, but he just does that.
Speaker 5: But he also had that ability.
Speaker 6: To I think, maintain that that presence, that that that confidence because he knows it helps his teammates.
Speaker 2: Also, you were there in New Orleans when Larry, when Larry went off against the Hawks, and.
Speaker 6: To Dan, it was one of the most I've been been blessed to be around the sport for many years, and I'm gonna say more than four decades, I have never.
Speaker 5: Seen anything like it.
Speaker 6: It was one of the great athletic perform great performances. I don't go to plays or anything like that, but he did it. He did it simply. And when I see Dominique over there, guys on the bench giving each other five because he's taken a shot, He's got no business taken He's got guys draped on him, and he makes it and just runs down like he's breathing. You know, he's just breathing. It's just the next shot. But the proverbials on. He was there, and you know, the blessing for me quite frankly, and I'm a little selfish in this thought because I was there to witness it. But I'm telling you it was one of the great performances I have ever seen. And I happen to be blessed enough to be around the Bulls in the nineties, but this was something that was just unbelievable.
Speaker 2: But you played with Larry, you're good friends with Michael Jordan. Can you compare and contrast their competitiveness.
Speaker 5: Oh, they were equally competitive.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you can really say one is more competitive than the other.
Speaker 5: I only think about when.
Speaker 6: People ask that question, and they don't often because I don't want I don't really delve into it. Larry, and for those who you were religious, don't don't don't take this the wrong way. Michael got sixty three on the Bulls, I mean on the on the Celtics in the playoffs, and Larry had somebody asked him about Michael Jordan, he said, well, Michael Jordan's a basketball players like he basically said he was God.
Speaker 5: Larry had never seen anything like this. Larry enjoys winning.
Speaker 6: They both are very very They're smart as all get out. They read people at a high level. But getting those two and this is this is one of those two death kind of things. You get those two against each other is to the death of both of them, not one of them, to both of them, because that's how competitive they are.
Speaker 2: Today's NBA. If you could tweak I'll give you, I'll let you be commissioner for a day. You can tweak one thing or change one thing. What would you do?
Speaker 6: That's an interesting question. I'm not sure I would. I played in the air that was much more physical. Uh, these guys are supremely more talented than those generation is in the eighties and the nineties. The three point shooting, I think is going to it will taper to the degree that you have more capable player shooting. Some teams have guys shoot the ball, some people have shooters, and some people have makers.
Speaker 5: Okay, there'll be more less people.
Speaker 6: Shooting the ball that can't make it, and I think that will make the game not probably even more interesting, but I just like the evolution of the game and how how it's grown. Dan I did not take to it quite frankly when it first sappened. Dick Vitel, the great vict Dick Vitel, I think you work with him, so you know, Dick, he was on this from the very beginning and thought it would change the game. I think it's more exciting for fans. I think the players are are much more excited about it and like to do it. But there's some guys, you know, you just you want to just shoot it because they're not going to make it. So there's not anything necessarily that I would change from the game. I'm you know, I'm sure I had and his crew. He's spending many hours on that.
Speaker 2: I don't anybody compared to Steph Curry that you saw no prior to No No, no No.
Speaker 6: And I got to give Mark Jackson credit when he and I remember him saying this, Mark played for the Pacers for those of you who don't know, and it was a great guard from New York.
Speaker 5: He said when he got him, he said.
Speaker 6: These are the two best shooting heat guards maybe in the history of basketball. Steph is so unusual because Steph can't get his and he is never he's in terrific shape, which I think is a factor. Quite frankly, as we talk about New York and the Pacers play can't get it, but if he get it, he's gonna make it. He played against the Pacers one game and I'm not proud of this, and I don't think anybody in the organization is. He got sixty points and twenty nine minutes on eleven dribbles, and it was It was an unbelievable performance. Now Steph's gonna take more dribbles than that, but he's capable of doing that on it.
Speaker 5: I mean at that time, on any game of the night. Obviously, you move into your.
Speaker 6: Thirties, you're not There's nobody that ever compared to what Steph does because most guys are shooting, were shooters in earlier times, but they didn't have the ball handling skills quite as effective as he does.
Speaker 2: There's going to come a day where Larry Bird's not one of the top ten players of all time.
Speaker 5: I don't know about that. I don't know about that one.
Speaker 6: Dan. I am telling you that Larry is is. There's a uniqueness about him. But I tell you who is comparable. And Larry said, there's only one guy he watches flight. It's Jokis, And if you look at him, the difference is Yokich is longer, but that's about it.
Speaker 5: And longer and that's not about it. He's taller.
Speaker 6: They play and whatever talent they have on their team, those guys play at a higher level for having played with Larry. I knew it because I did and I watched Yokis do that. But getting Larry out of the top ten, now you're not gonna I may be biased, but I don't think so. I just think if you look at pure basketball players, Larry bird is as pure basketball players, you're ever gonna.
Speaker 5: Find nothing he could not do.
Speaker 6: You know, can't jump, can't run, beat you get your triple double, the whole nine yards.
Speaker 5: No, Larry's staying in the top ten.
Speaker 2: If it ends up Pacers and Oka See, how does Indiana win?
Speaker 6: The benches got to be really good because okay See plays ten to eleven players and they all contribute. And this is what I think is for me what I enjoyed watching. In terms of the coaching, Rick has done a terrific job and you can go you know nine, he has gone ten and you get some really good performance. Oka See has eleven guys that they may throw out there. Everybody may have a specialty, but they star in their roles. The others have to star in their roles on the Pacers. I think Matherin's consistency off the bench. He had twenty last night, but he struggled for the previous games. That's got to have some concert and see fifteen to eighteen points a game, and you're going to have to get a lot more out of top and all of that, because okay See can score the ball, but they're the best defensive they may be the best defensive team. Well, I think left they really challenge you and they can run with you and get back in transition.
Speaker 5: It is. It would be a very difficult series.
Speaker 2: Thanks for holding up your golf game. I'm sure you're headed to the golf course, right.
Speaker 5: You called it all right, I appreciate it. That always good to tell you.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Buck that's Quinn Buckner, Pacers TV color analyst, former NBA player. We'll take a break. We got an NBA quiz coming up. Also another NFL game coming up to play. We're back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 9: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 8: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 9: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 8: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 9: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 8: So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 9: As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 8: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Just check with DraftKings to see the updated NBA title odds. Thunder are still the big favorites, followed by the Pacers. Then it's a distant race there with the Knicks and the Timberwolves. Stanley Cup odds it's pretty competitive with the Oilers and the Panthers obviously up three games to one, followed by the Stars and Hurricanes. They are well down the list. Timberwolves are getting eight and a half tonight with the Thunder in Okase sing Time to play a quick NBA game. Paulie is your host. Do we have some music here, Marvin?
Speaker 3: Course, of course, game show music for you. That which NBA player had the most turnovers in a single game in NBA history And how many did that person have? And would anyone like a hint? Yeah, it happened in the last within the last twenty five years.
Speaker 2: What position did they play?
Speaker 3: He was a point guard?
Speaker 2: Okay, what's a point guard?
Speaker 3: Was a point guard?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: See, I shall guess was a Russell Westbrook type. Yeah, because they're like ball dominant, they need the ball a lot and they get a lot of minutes, they would be in a position to turn the ball over many, many times.
Speaker 3: Yes, that is incorrect. However, I'm gonna give you two bonus points because Russell Westbrook had eleven turnovers three different times in his career.
Speaker 10: That's pretty high.
Speaker 3: But he did not. I'm going to go James Harden another good guess. You're getting a couple bonus points. James Harden had twelve turnovers one time in his career, and that's third all time. Here's a little fun part of the game. The guys who are in second and third are a small forward and a power forward. One Is Giannis had twelve turnovers in a game three years ago, and Chris Mullen, the great forward guard, had thirteen turnovers in a game back in eighty eight. That's not the record.
Speaker 2: Holder, Molly, that's not the record holder.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 2: Yes, Marvin Paul you said was a point guard.
Speaker 3: When he played, he was a point guard. He no longer plays. He didn't switch positions.
Speaker 10: Jason Kidd.
Speaker 3: Jason Kidd is correct, nicely done. Jason Kidd had fourteen turnovers on November seventeenth, twenty twenty. Here's the bonus we talked about quad dubs quadruple doubles. Yeah, Jason Kidd had a quadruple double that night. Eighteen points, twelve rebounds, and ten assists and fourteen turnovers. The unlikely quad dub bonus coverage rated. Who else had quad dubs in NBA history? There are four gentlemen who had quad dubs. Here's a hint. They all happened between nineteen seventy four and nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 2: A chema LOA, that's correct. Did he do it twice?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 2: Does that take care of two of the four?
Speaker 3: Takes care of four different gentlemen?
Speaker 2: Oh? Four different players?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 2: Is for some reason? I think Nate Thurman is in there for some reason.
Speaker 3: You're correct. Wow, he's the first person to do it in nineteen seventy four.
Speaker 2: All right, okay, Mark.
Speaker 10: David Robinson.
Speaker 3: David Robinson is correct. Thirty four points, ten rebounds, TENNISI is ten blocks in nineteen ninety four. Here's the toughie. Nineteen eighty six. This gentleman did it with twenty points, eleven rebounds, tennisis and ten steals. He was known as a temperamental player and a very good all around player.
Speaker 2: Yes, Warvin, Alvin Robertson.
Speaker 3: Alvin Robertson is correct.
Speaker 6: Come on.
Speaker 3: Here, get out of here?
Speaker 5: Are you?
Speaker 2: Are you looking? Are you looking at it?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 3: Come on, don't. Marvin doesn't cheat. I've seen him do a lot of good answers here and he does not cheat.
Speaker 2: Are you saying there's somebody who does cheat? No? No, okay. It just felt like Marvin was on an island that he doesn't cheat.
Speaker 3: So Jason Kidd, who we just had on the show, is he in the quad dub League?
Speaker 2: I should have brought up the quad dubbed claud Yeah, Patrick in Indianapolis, Hi, Patrick, what's on your mind?
Speaker 5: First time? Longtime?
Speaker 10: Six for one seive.
Speaker 11: So about two years ago, I was watching part of the interruption and Mike Wilbond was talking about how he was just.
Speaker 5: Speaking with Quinn Buckner.
Speaker 11: I'm a police officer, and the very next day I had an interaction with the man, no fault of his own, he did nothing wrong, but I thought I recognized him, so I asked him his name and it was mister Buckner. I was starstruck and I told him it was nice to meet him, and how I feel like I'm friends with Mike Wilbon and Quinn Buckner even though they have no idea who I am.
Speaker 2: Thanks for taking Micoll, Thank you, officer. Yeah, by proxy, I'm friends because your friends. And now I'm friends with Michael Viilba Wilbin. Are we going to play the NFL Hall of Fame game?
Speaker 3: Well, this is a kind of I was thinking about this with Kirk Cousins. He's at two hundred and eighty eight career touchdown passes. That's pretty high level stuff. He's eighteenth all time. Let's say he gets another shot with another team, it finishes in the three to twenty range.
Speaker 2: No, you'd have to win a super Bowl, right, But who is the Statistically he's not getting in. But if he wins, if he wins the Super Bowl, then I could say, okay, maybe, okay.
Speaker 3: The question out this list is I have the list of the most touchdown passes in history. Which quarterback is not getting in that has more than three hundred touchdowns? I'll throw out a name. Philip Rivers has four order in twenty one touchdowns it seems.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's crazy to say with four hundred touchdown passes he's sixth all time, probably not getting in maybe like a Veteran's committee or something. Down the never appeared in.
Speaker 3: A super Bowl. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, in his playoff record was pretty medium. That's creezy.
Speaker 3: Okay, This Ben Roethlisberger, He's obviously going in, right, four hundred and eighteen. Matt Ryan is ninth all time with three hundred and eighty one touchdowns. He has an MVP and a Super Bowl lost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think so. I mean, I would think with the MVP that that might be enough. You know, like Cam Newton, he's not up there on the passing touchdown list. But when an MVP went to a Super Bowl as well and lost in dramatic fashion, when oh it wasn't dramatic, it was over quickly, less than dramatic. Yess poem.
Speaker 3: Can you believe that Philip River and Matt Ryan shouldn't get in the Hall of Fame but also think that they will?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: All right, here's the next one. This is a tough year, okay. Russell Wilson's twelve fall ten time with three hundred and fifty touchdown passes and counting. He's ahead of guys like John Elway, Johnny Uniteds, Warn Moon, Joe Montana, Dan FOUPs, cheepers, creepers, three hundred and fifty counting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the game change, the game changed. Okay, you can't. You can't look at numbers from the seventies and sixties. They just they didn't throw the ball fifty times.
Speaker 3: Oh man, let's say he doesn't add any more significant work. He just starts another year or two in the NFL. Oh god, it's a random Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Well, he's playing himself out of soup the Hall of Fame contention. And you go back to that Super Bowl and if he wins that, then you know there's because he has a better career than Eli, and they would go in with two Super Bowl wins. But Rogers is going to go rather have who would you rather? Yeah, but his his statistics are like mind boggling touchdown interception ratio? Who would you rather have in a big game? Eli Manning or Russell Wilson in a Super Bowl? Who do you want? Paul Russell Todd?
Speaker 12: What do it take? Eli?
Speaker 2: See, I'm good with Russ Marvin Russ. I'm gonna go Russ too. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Russ has three hundred and fifty touchdown passes only one hundred and eleven interceptions.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, I hate to say, but like Russ, he did good enough to win that game. I know it ended on an interception, but I don't that interception really wasn't his fault. It was just an amazing play. And everybody and their brother knows. Hand the ball off and you win the game.
Speaker 2: Still or run a run pass option. Yeah, then then you decide if you're gonna throw it, you're gonna be able to throw it away, and maybe you were able to run it in, give the ball to marsha On and you win the game. Stand Yeah, yeah, Poe.
Speaker 3: So we probably think that Rivers Matt, Ryan and Russell will go in. Should is a different topic. The Kirk Cousins with two hundred and eighty eight touchdowns. He'll be in the threes someday. Carson Palmer has two hundred and ninety four career touchdown passes fifteenth all the time. He's not going anything.
Speaker 2: No, but these numbers are gonna be hollow because in the next ten years, the number of quarterbacks you know Joe Burrow, what's he gonna end up with? I mean, just run down the list of what guys are gonna end up, you know with their touchdown pass total. You know, everybody's gonna get to used to be three hundred. I think three to ten was fran Tarkington's record, and it was there for a long long time. They just blew right by that, and I think it if you don't get to three hundred, we're gonna look at you and go, man, you pedestrian. Or but get a couple more phone calls in here, Zach and Knoxville. Hi, Zach, what's on your mind?
Speaker 11: HIIDP, thanks for taking my call. You can go back in time and accomplish one of the two things, dropping forty or the sports Emmy.
Speaker 13: I'll hang up and listen, all right.
Speaker 2: I take the sports semi because that's a team effort. If I'm putting up forty, that's just me. I mean, somebody might have to rebound or set a pick, but no sports emmy. No, these guys need it. They desperately want that sports Emmy, and I if it's the last thing I do, I'm going to get them that sports semi. You're welcome, Todd, Thank you, thank you. Didn't mean to wake you up. Adam in Chicago, Hi, Adam, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Hey Dan?
Speaker 13: Thanks for telling me back fellows. Happy Wednesday. I've got a loss on the Hall of Very Good and I'm moving into Stephen Jackson's Brothers Hall of Fame. I'm six foot three, white in al Dente, but I'd like to announce my eligibility for the Brothers Hall of Fame because I just want to see you at that table. And quick little trivia for you, Stanley Cup. Time going on here? What two brothers have the most points in the NHL combined?
Speaker 2: Gretzky brothers, Meek Adic, Well, it's soimilar to what brothers have the most combined home runs in Major League Baseball? And it's the Aaron bros So Justin in Austin, Hi, Justin? What's on your mind?
Speaker 14: Hey Danny? How you doing? Thanks for having me so listen. I grew up in New York for thirty years. I have to defend my boy Boomer. There's a big difference in New York crowds and LA crowds. All right. First off, the fans and mostly blue collar and grew up with the team in New York, winning and losing, so the passion and pressure is really know the game. New York celebs are almost all from NYC. They all grew up there as well, watching the team, so that's extra pressure when you play in front of people that know the game. LA celebs do not know basketball for the most part. None of them are from LA, and all their best fans, Denzel Jack, they're from New York anyway, so it's all fake in LA.
Speaker 2: All right, I thank you, Justin. I can't imagine now if you're saying, because of the celebrities who are there at the Garden that the Knicks don't play well, not once the game starts. You're not worried about what's going on around you, And here I am, you know, trumpeting just how great Jalen Brunson is in the spotlight. So you know you can't have it both ways. Yeah, you know he's a big time and you know they he plays big and then all, oh man, these guys say, you know the atmosphere. Now I understand the atmosphere, but they're all on your side when the atmosphere is you're on the road, when you're the Lakers and you go into the Boston Garden and Magic gets the skyhook to win the championship. That's pressure. That's in a an environment that is hostile, not where you know, you're playing in front of your own crowd, and boy, they they want us to win so badly. Try to do that championship on the road. And you know that's whenever I think of Magic and they say, what's one play that stands out, it's that play he had a skyhook over Kevin McHale and Robert Parrish and won a championship. That's pressure. Not going into your own building and then you're surrounded by friendly fire and I get that, you know, the expectation level is pretty crazy there in New York. But the Garden, I mean I can still feel the Garden that day and you're thinking they are going to he may have just won the championship and then Bird got loose in the corner, should have hit a jumper, and you know Boston ended up losing. That's pressure. That's pressure for both teams, but more on the Lakers to try to do it in the Boston Garden.
Speaker 3: The mpone, I want to go back to what you said with Quinn Buckner about Larry Bird falling out of that top ten, and you're probably right over the course the next one thirty years with Birds back injury. But like you've said, we've said before, Magic and Bird are tied together and their rank on the list doesn't matter because it's like contributions to the game. They're top three as a pair. You know, if you put them together, what they did for the NBA, they're linked together and they'll never be separated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I do like that, And we have suggested that that, you know, Magic and Larry, Larry and Magic, but you know, you got guys who were doing some things, you know, just Joker eventually moving Imagine Joker gets another MVP. Larry had three, but let's say he gets another one. Does he move into the top ten? Is is Steph Curry in the top ten? Greatest shooter of all time? Got four titles unanimous MVP? Is Kevin Durant going to go in there? So I just I think you as much as we like to hold on to those players, there's a couple of players who just aren't going to to stay in the top ten. I don't think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pauline, Larry Bird had a nine year run his first nine years where he finished first, second, or third for MVP.
Speaker 2: Well, I can pick out a nine. I can pick out Larry's best run and Lebron's best run, and I'll take Larry. Lebron's a better player, you know, for a variety of reasons. You know, if I look at longevity and you know everything he did in the game. But if you say, here's a window, and if I give you, I'd say, all the players, I give you a five year window, six year window, and you take the best six years. Now got to be consecutive, the best six year run. With these players in the top ten, I'd be curious how we would rank those players. Would we rank them much differently or would somebody fall out? Would somebody jump in if I looked at a six year run, Yes, Marvin, Yeah.
Speaker 15: Because a lot of times we're talking about longevity. But how good were you at the peak of your powers?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 15: And so eighty six Larry Bird. There might not be too many people that can touch Larry Bird in nineteen eighty six, especially that three year MVP run of his.
Speaker 10: So that's how I would go off of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paulin, Michael Jordan had a six year run from twenty four to twenty nine where he finished he won three MVPs, finished top three every year. He was also Top five Defensive Player of the Year for six straight years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although it's weird with All Defensive team because Larry Bird made I think First Team All Defense a couple of times, and Larry was not a defensive player. He played the passing lanes. He'd get a lot of steals. But I don't think that you would go, boy that Larry is a lockdown defender because he wasn't, and he had rim protectors there behind him with McHale and Parrish and Bill Walton. But all right, let me take a break here, last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Right after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six eight em Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: We touched on the Colorado Rockies starting the show. They've been outscored by one hundred and seventy four runs. They're nine to forty six. That would put them on a pace to go twenty seven in one thirty five. They lost in eleven innings last night. So they dropped all eighteen series they've played in. That is this season. They've dropped twenty one consecutive series dating back to last season.
Speaker 4: Stata, the J stata, the J we love your.
Speaker 3: Stata, the day stata, the J standa, the j oh damn give us stand of the day?
Speaker 2: Stand Pandora, thank you. I hear that voice sometimes in my head. I wish I didn't Oh, I didn't say that I had a choice in this. You know when you hear voices, I hear voices. I hear Pandora. Stat of the day. Alrighty, so he got hockey tonight. Panthers Hurricanes, Timberwolves at the thunder Underarth. How about this day in sports history, Paul.
Speaker 3: Just a couple. Nineteen fifty one, Willie Mays hit his first home run. It was his first time at bat in the Major League.
Speaker 10: That's cool.
Speaker 3: Nineteen fifty six, Day Long became the first to hit home runs in eight consecutive baseball games. Ooh tough one. Nineteen fifty seven, the National League allowed the Brooklyn Dodgers to move to Los Angeles, New York Giants to move to San Francisco. Simultaneously, dang last last me, Fritzy. That would have been a big show the next day for US reaction to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the Giants moving to San Francisco didn't receive anywhere near the fanfare of the Dodgers out of Brooklyn.
Speaker 3: Losing two franchises in the day, that's a tough day to Toughy A nineteen sixty two Wide World of Sports with Chris Shankle premiere, That's awesome and another Toughy two thousand and six. Barry Bonds of the Giants hit home run seven fifteen. You know what that meant?
Speaker 2: Speaking of Barry Bonds, nineteen ninety eight, Buck Showwalter intentionally walks Barry Bonds with the bases loaded. So there's two outs, bases loaded, ninth inning and his team is up eight to six. Buck Showwalter of the Diamondbacks walks Barry Bonds, Brent Maine comes to the plate and then lines out to end the game. I mean, here's the thing. They won the game, so I guess you could say Buck had the right call. Also, this one, I think I have his name right, Rob mccoveac. He played with the Pirates. His wife is in the hospital and she's getting ready to give Burt to their first child. He hits a walk off grand Slam in the first game of a doubleheader, then hits a game tying two run homer in the night cap with the Pirates to go, went on to win. So on the birth of it, so that that child is twenty one years of age. Right now, all right, let me see update the final results of the poll question if you can see no counter. Yep, we got two of them working right now. We have up there how many MVPs will Altani finish his career with? Right now, four has about forty percent of that vote.
Speaker 4: Followed by five, then six, then seven. We also have which team down three to one is most done? Sorry Minnesota, but the Timberwolves are most done.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's not about that. I can see that. Yeah, eight and a half point underdogs, and okay, see I wonder since Minnesota could have won that game they only lost by two points. Can you have the same philosophy if you're okay c with ant Man, and that is, let everybody else try to beat you, or do you all of a sudden go you know what, Maybe maybe we decide that we'll take our chances with ant Man going off. I mean, lou Georg's going to be gardening, but he's gonna get a whole lot of help when Anthony Edwards gets by.
Speaker 10: Yes, marm, I don't overthink it. It's been working. Keep it up.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, Martina.
Speaker 10: Yeah, oh, you asked the question.
Speaker 2: I answered, Oh, I know, okay, it was a rhetorical question. Yeah you know what that means, Todd, right.
Speaker 12: Rhetorical questions, but you already know the answer to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you're asking anyway, but you'd kind of know the answer by yourself without getting help from others.
Speaker 3: So since you asked Todd what a rhetorical question is, he should have not answered.
Speaker 2: It because it's rhetorical.
Speaker 12: There was no need for me to even respond there. I see what you did. Very nice.
Speaker 2: How is your day today? I think I had a good day. Okay, I don't know what happened before.
Speaker 12: You accuse me of falling asleep? He said, sorry about that. Help you help win the sports on me? And I didn't have a I didn't have anything clever to say. We you said, I hope we all get those sports on me?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, you just uh, I don't know you just didn't have your usual interngy. That's all.
Speaker 3: It's there.
Speaker 10: It's latent, okay, what is late got of hidden?
Speaker 12: It comes out when you at least expected. It's not fun. If you're expecting it, you're expect me to tell you what we learned today?
Speaker 2: What did you learn today?
Speaker 12: To Stephen Jackson never got rattled by the pressure of big crabs and celebs and attendance. In fact, he makes love to pressure.
Speaker 2: What we learned brought to you by McGuire's new hybrid ceramic wash and wax in a bucket or a foam cannon boost protection with extreme water beating technology. The next time you wash your car truck, McGuire's reflect your passion. Thanks for joining us, My thanks to Quinn Buckner and Stephen Jackson. We'll do our best to be better tomorrow. Have a great day.