Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We did it. We made it through the weekend. Hope you had a great weekend. Gangs here ready to go. It's a Monday, so we get your phone calls. Bested worst of the weekend, Minister of Humor, Fritzi and Seaton in the back row, Marvin Pauli in the front row, yours truly, and also the brgs. Well check in with our buddy Ross Tucker. We'll analyze what happened, the good and bad and the ugly of the regular season, look ahead to wild card weekend, the Patriots situation. Tom Kern, the great reporter there will join us and Albert Breer on coaches who will and won't be fired Today. We have an emergency fill in the blank, Paulie, the emergency fill in the blank team and coach.
Speaker 3: Moments ago, minutes ago. Blank has been fired by Blank. Okay, Blank has been fired by Blank.
Speaker 2: Okay, Grod Mayo, it already been fired by the Patriots, right, okay. The Giants there, everybody's coming back. Colts, their owner Jim Irsaying, put out a statement, everybody is back. The Jacksonville Jaguars have fired Doug Peterson. Okay, all right, well we figured that that was going to happen, but I guess the biggest news giants keeping their staff, the Patriots after one year getting rid of girod Mayo. We'll talk a little bit more about that. Eight seven seven three DP Show operator Tyler sitting by. He'll get your phone calls. Best and worst of the weekend, What you saw that you liked, you didn't like. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. And we say good morning to those watching on Peacock. That's our streaming partner. Thank you for downloading the app our radio affiliates around the country. First down, we're brought to you by Rapid Radios, official walkie talkie of the DP Show, offering national coverage, no subscriptions ever. A great alternative for your kids or an aging parent. We use them on the show all the time. Go to Rapid radios dot com, fro up to sixty percent off and free shipping, Play the day, poll question, stat of the Day, all of that forthcoming. The Broncos are in, Bengals Dolphins out, The Buccaneers are in. The Falcons out and the Lions last night, thanks to their defense, have the number one seed in the NFC. That was the big surprise last night. I knew the Lions would score. The question is how many would they let the Vikings score? And they shut them down. They did a great job. And Chris collins Worth honey hinted at this. This is where you hear something in a production meeting on Friday or Saturday, where maybe Aaron Glenn, the defensive coordinator for the Lion, says, hey, we're bringing some heat. We're going to go after Sam Darnold. We're going to make him uncomfortable. You can't just sit back and let him have time because there are too good Because you know, collins Worth said that at the beginning he thought they were going to go after Sam Darnold, and they did, and they had ten quarterback hits last night. I was listening to Dan Orlovsky in the ESPN radio earlier and he said he thought that Sam Darnald left five touchdown passes out there on the field. So the Lions did get the win, they got the number one seed. You got an extra week with your players. Certainly that defense has been banged up, but give credit to that defense because they did put a lot of pressure on Sam Darnold. All Right, Seaton, what's pole questions? Start out the first hour? You got a couple of more surprising pole questions. Okay, uh, more surprising This is from PAULI. More surprising Broncos are in the playoffs or the Bengals are not. Well, Okay, I'm going to go back week one, and what did we say after the Bengals lost to the Patriots. I said, there's every team. Those teams don't make the playoffs. You can usually go back to one game and go, hmm, that one's gonna hurt you. And that's what I said after they lost to the Patriots. I sett on that Monday, and you're the Bengals. You're not Tom Brady's Patriots where you can use the first month of the season as the preseason. This is the problem. They treated that game like it was a preseason and the Patriots beating the Bengals in Cincinnati. But if you're going to lose your first three games, look, would I love to see the Bengals in Yes, I would, But they didn't deserve to be in. They played great at the end of the regular season. If this was college, we'd probably look at them like South Carolina. Man, they're on a roll. You don't want to face them. Well, this is in college. You lose your first three, you let the Patriots beat you. In Cincinnati, I would love to have had the Bengals in just esthetically to watch them play and Joe Burrow, Jamar Chase. But it Denver played better, more consistent, the defense was good, bo Nicks did a great job, and Sean Payton reclaimed his status as one of the great coaches in the game. But yeah, Denver to me was a better team. Cincinnati might have been a better story just for the overall picture of you don't want I don't think anybody say it, man, you don't want to face the Broncos. I would say that. I mean, you got to defense travels. This is a good, solid team. Now, did the Chiefs basically roll over? Yes they did, But I think they were a consistent team, a good team. Patrick's erten is you know, maybe he steals the defensive Player of the Year work and bow Knicks played really well, but you know that's one of those where hey, Buffalo and they get Denver. Well, I don't know if I when you get to this point, it's one game. Are the Bills better than Denver? Yes? But it's one game and that's all you're asking for. Give me a little bit of magic here, Fritzie. Congratulations, your Broncos are going to the playoffs.
Speaker 4: How about that thirty eight nothing against all the backups?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Are we convinced that the Bengals would have a much more challenge, much better chance of being the Bills than Denver? Are we comfortable saying that I wish it was the Bengals because that'll be a better game and Denver's going to get rolled?
Speaker 4: Is that what the average person thinks?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Why don't you go around announce the average person.
Speaker 4: I'm going to take a poll outside. I'm going to do a kind of walk around with a microphone.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of average people in here, just to ask everybody.
Speaker 6: The poll question is who would you rather have in the playoffs? The Bengals or the Broncos? Is that the question?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think a lot.
Speaker 2: Who's more threatening?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 4: Which would be a more competive The Bengals.
Speaker 2: Are more threatening. It's only because they have Joe Burrow and Jamar Chase. So you got the leading pets. When's the last time you had the leading passer yardage wise, passing touchdowns, you had I think the leading sack guy, and you had a receiver win the triple Crow. So Trey Hendrickson, I think he had fifteen sacks this year. Uh what was it, Paulie? He finished with seventeen and a half. Okay, so seventeen and a half. Quietly seventeen and a half. And then you have Joe Burrow and you have Jamar Chase, and then you throw in Ta Higgins. That's exciting. Denver doesn't have that. I mean that offense doesn't blow you away with name recognition. But I don't think Sean Payton cares about that. And uh, you know, I got a factor in Sean Payton with his ability to coach as well. Guest hud No, you gotta.
Speaker 5: Love Benito and certain And then you got Vele out of the blue is doing.
Speaker 4: Some stuff with Sutton. They got they got some weapons there. I didn't love the fact that they do.
Speaker 2: Those guys are on defense.
Speaker 4: I'm just talking about in general as far as people that are like, oh.
Speaker 2: No, but I was talking about offense. Fair enough, I was talking about Joe Burrow, Jamar Chase the fire pod.
Speaker 4: I'm just like a shocking.
Speaker 6: You know, usually refer to uh de facto players as weapons.
Speaker 2: I think when you don't have weapons on offense, you got weapons on deep.
Speaker 5: I just don't like the narrative because we love the word the narrative and oh, Cincinnati Buffalo would have been great.
Speaker 4: This is going to be the blowout. I forget this as we'll put the Bills into the digital player.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, what are we doing right now? We're not going to do this the nobody once says nobody believed in us. We're not doing that. No, are you calling for the win in Buffalo?
Speaker 4: You know what?
Speaker 5: You put me on the spot. The Bills should win that game, they should win comfortably. But wait, you don't. I believe the Broncos one in one game. Anything is possible. Buffalo should win that game.
Speaker 2: By we know it's possible because they are in the game. You know what's not possible. The Bengals can't beat the Bills. I just checked.
Speaker 3: Yes, they can't beat them. Yes, the Bills are giving nine to the Broncos. I could check with Vegas on what the line would have been if the Bengals were in.
Speaker 4: The game, m I'd be curious about them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bengals would probably be uh five point underdog maybe maybe something like that. But are we we or they?
Speaker 4: We are definitely we?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, well, congratulations, it was a very good year.
Speaker 4: After they lost to the Charge in Bengals, it was more day. But then after what happened, Yester, we're back to wik.
Speaker 2: And you're not a front runner. By the way, one hundred and forty one games were decided by seven points or less. That's tied with twenty twenty two, the most in a season in NFL history. Woo Stall of a Day, Stan a day, stand outa day, stan outa day. This is the Style of the Day, brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Lamar Jackson finished with forty one touchdown passes four interceptions. That's never happened before in NFL history at least forty and more than five interceptions, and he may not win the MVP. The Lions they were extremely balanced, but not as balanced as the Bills. They're the first team to have at least thirty passing touchdowns and at least thirty rushing touchdowns in the same season. Never happened before. The Lions were one rushing touchdown short of becoming the second team to do so. I look at the Lions. You want to talk about being all in because you're gonna lose probably both your coordinators Aaron Glenn defensive coordinator, Ben Johnson offensive coordinator. You're all in. I talk about these windows of opportunity, like San Francisco's window. It might have closed, and it felt like it's wide open. You got a you know, mister irrelevant with that contract, You got your signing, everybody you're keeping everybody, Brandon Aiyuk, you got McCaffrey, Debo, Trent Williams, you got it bos. Everything's gonna work. You got a great coach GM and then and maybe you don't. And this is where you get that three to four year run and then all of a sudden it starts to slip away. Detroit, this is the year, this is the year. Considering everything you have now, I also look at this team that you got Hutchinson coming back, Jamiir Gibbs is wonderful on a rookie contract. You got Montgomery coming back. Golf is signed, Amon Ross, Saint Brown is signed, got a good tight end, you got a culture there with Dan Campbell, So this should extend for a couple of seasons. Should And then you got Buffalo that I thought their window of opportunity closed and now it just feels like this is a true solid, starless team except for the quarterback there. And I think that's been a benefit for them. They had two Pro Bowl players. I think that's a true testament to a team playing great football.
Speaker 8: Yes, And I think for a franchise like the Lions, all you need is one Super Bowl title. You don't need to go on a two to three year run. All you need is one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the Cubs, you win all of a sudden, it's like you've changed the entire national outlook or viewpoint of the Lions. You've changed everything. Now it's not hey, I'm a Lions fan, It's I'm a Lions fan. All it takes is one? All Righty? So is that the poll question who would be more threatening in the playoffs? Seat and the Broncos of the Bengals.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we could do who would be more threatening? I kind of like, who would you want? But yeah, there's definitely going to be a Broncos versus Bengals poll question, for sure.
Speaker 2: But I don't want you. Oh woe is me? Nobody thought we'd be here, Todd. We can't do that because it's a great story. You didn't think they would be here, so you can't go. Nobody's giving us a jiation.
Speaker 4: That's fair.
Speaker 5: And most people thought they'd win four or five six games maximum quarterble.
Speaker 2: They played great, that defense was really good, and yes, did the Chiefs roll over? They did, But you know, I wouldn't have put it out of the realm of possibility that the Broncos would have beaten the Chiefs if they wanted to or trying to win that game.
Speaker 6: Yes, se So just so we're clear, Todd also thought that they wouldn't be there. Yes, this year, And while he doesn't like the narrative that we should just advance the Bills to the next round, he too thinks the Bills are going to win. Yes, despite the fact that he doesn't like that narrative, yes, that you should give the Broncos a chance, he thinks the Bills are going to advance.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the narrative is that they're going to get blown out and it's hard to predict the Broncos to win that game, but I think they'll keep it competitive.
Speaker 2: Okay, but you just were saying that nobody thought you guys could be there. Nobody's given you a chance. They'd rather have the Bengals. So you're feeding into all of.
Speaker 5: This because I and many saw something in the Broncos that we didn't think we would see during the course of the season.
Speaker 4: Who think the Bonnicks would have not gone?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: But you don't think they're no. You don't think they have a.
Speaker 4: Chance to win.
Speaker 2: But if I had million dollars on it and stuff, But they have a chance because they're playing the game.
Speaker 4: In one game, anything could happen.
Speaker 5: They almost beat the Chiefs and Mahomes the great Chiefs team trying to win the Retouit Bowls, and with blocked field goal and the last second.
Speaker 2: The only reason, Todd, you're the one under selling the Broncos.
Speaker 4: I don't like that everyone.
Speaker 5: I don't like that other people are undersund But they're all bumm that the Bengals game would have been a lot better and want to see Nicks.
Speaker 2: And it would and it would have been It would have been more interesting to have Joe Burrow and Jamar Chason.
Speaker 5: Maybe interesting, but not necessarily more competitive because it's so.
Speaker 2: Okay, make up your mind. If you're all in that, you're gonna win the bills. Okay, thank you.
Speaker 4: Twenty seven twenty three.
Speaker 2: It took me fourteen minutes to get there.
Speaker 6: Twenty seven to twenty three.
Speaker 8: The bill should be ten and a half point favorite. Yes, Marvin, that's that was a lot for the first segment to give me. Yeah, I can't work this hard, Tod not to start the waking a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's only fifteen minutes into Monday.
Speaker 6: All week, all week Monday, Todd.
Speaker 2: You know, are we gonna hear this all week long? I'll settle there, all right, thank you? All right, let's take a break. We'll get phone calls coming up. Eight seven to seven three DP. Show operator Tyler sitting by to take your phone calls. Just getting started. We're back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 10: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything, life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 10: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 9: So check us out. We like to get you involved, to take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Kovin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media. That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Aaron Rodgers had four touchdown passes. He's the fifth player in NFL history with at least five hundred career regular season touchdown passes, and the second fastest to reach five hundred. Only Peyton Manning got there faster. As far as Aaron Rodgers playing next.
Speaker 1: Season, in your heart of hearts, do you think he'll be back with the Jets?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know. I mean, I honestly don't know.
Speaker 11: Rich If I did, I don't know that i'd tell you, so I will say that I respect, but truthfully, I don't know. I'm looking forward to those conversations with Woody and Christopher and him and Phil and anybody else. You know, it feels good to be able to do some of the things last five or six weeks. I know I was capable of doing even at forty forty one. You either way, I won't be upset or offended whatever they decide to do, if they want to move on, if I still want to play, and if not, I'll let them know at some point if that's the case.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think the Jets will move on if they're going to try to bring in a legitimate head coach. That head coach doesn't want to walk into this situation. I wouldn't now you might find somebody who's willing to do it because they want to get the job. Aaron Glenn, the defensive coordinator with the Jets. I don't know if he's going to go, Hey, I'll take the job. But I don't want Aaron Rodgers. And it's weird to say you don't want Aaron Rodgers, but there's so much more that goes along with Aaron Rodgers. And if I'm coming in to take over the Jets, that's already a mountainous prospect of trying to turn them around. I mean, that's systemic. It's just been a horrible organization. All right. I need to hit the ground running. I can't be like, am I allowed to run? Am I walking? Am I crawling? Am I stuck in neutral? And you might have those feelings with Aaron Rodgers. If I would have told you back in August, Aaron Rodgers, Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert, and Jordan Love would throw fewer touchdown passes than bow Knicks, you would have made a lot of money. But that happened. Bo Nicks had more touchdown passes than those quarterbacks, so you got Rogers, Alan Mahomes, All Hall of famers, Justin Herbert and Jordan Love. Who knows, but bo Nicks had more touchdown passes. All right, we'll get phone calls coming up. You know, the Dolphins situation is a mess. We know the Jets situation is always a mess. The Dolphin situation, you know, they were a playoff team last year. TUA had a pretty good start as far as you know, people saying, all right, if they get weapons and they stay healthy and you hold your breath that he doesn't get another concussion, they can be dangerous in the playoffs. Well, they didn't get to the playoffs. They lost yesterday and at one point Tyreek Kill wanted out of the lineup. And now there was some back and forth after the game. Did he want out? Did his coach take him out? And they needed to get their story straight. Here's Tyreek Hill because I'm opening the door right, come out, bro.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 12: So it was a great player here, but you know, I at the end of the day, Bro, I got to do what's best for my career.
Speaker 4: And you know, because I'm too.
Speaker 2: Much of a competitor to be you.
Speaker 6: Know, just.
Speaker 2: Okay, it sounds like quite the team player. Yeah, I'm a competitor. You're a competitor for you, you know what, you had this opportunity, they featured you, and now you want out. Here is the head coach of the Dolphins, Mike McDaniel.
Speaker 13: I'm not going to put too much weight on second hand postgame disappointment statements. And we'll see how the next couple of days progress with those conversations with him, and.
Speaker 2: I yeah, i'd shopp him. See what you can get get him off the books. Can you get something back? What can you get back for him? Talented guy, but he's it feels like sometimes the second coming of Antonio Brown, where it feels like it's about him. Now he's not where Antonio Brown was. Hopefully nobody gets there, but Tyreek Hill still has some mileage. The question is what are you willing to give up? And it might be one of those addition by subtractions, which sounds pretty bizarre given his status. I mean, there are times when I watch he is uncoverable. He's unstoppable. But he's a guy that feels like you got to constantly be nurturing him. And it's tough enough to be a head coach. Offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel. You just can't go into each day, each game worried about somebody's perspective, team goals. Because Antonio Brown, we saw him. I mean, maybe he goes to the Hall of Fame like he had a five or six year run that was just unbelievable. But he was a selfish. But that kind of goes along with the territory there. Tyreek Hill. Sounds like he's going to be with another team next year. We'll get some phone calls here. The Gerrodmeo thing bothered me, you know, I was you give this guy a chance. He's been waiting for five years. He is a head coach in waiting, and you probably had a backroom deal that said to him, don't take another job, you will replace Bill Belichick. And I don't have any sources there. I don't know anything about the Patriots organization. I can just look at this and add some common sense. You tell him you got five years. Just wait when you know when Bill is done, then you'll be the head coach. Because Mike Rabel may come in and be the next head coach. He was available last year, Brian Flores was available last year. And then you win the game. Now you don't have the number one pick in the draft. If he lost the game, does he keep his job? He got them to play and they ended up winning. Now granted Buffalo wasn't really trying, but you win the game. It's like Lovey Smith a couple of years ago with the Texans. He won the game. They didn't get the number one pick. They ended up getting CJ. Stroun. But this situation one year for Gerrodmeo, I think it reflects poorly on the Craft family because you can blame Belichi for the last couple of years previous to this, Prior to this, This is on you and you found your quarterback. Usually you get that, you know, coach and quarterback. As we saw with the Texans, you know, you give them a little bit of time. What happened in one year that you didn't see happening because this was your handpicked guy five years. He waited, he watched, he learned. Belichick was his mentor. Then it felt like the relationship with Craft in Belichick went south. Maybe they chose Gerrod Mayo. Belichick sense that and then he was like, hey, I'm out of here. He's going to take over. Here is girod Mayo? Prior to being fired yesterday.
Speaker 12: Coaches are nothing without the players. I just told him that again. I just appreciate all of the effort. Also told him, look, today, it's all about the game. We'll have enough time here tomorrow and the next couple of days to address all the other thing. Point in time here, you know, I have my normal meeting with the Crafts and we'll see where it goes from there.
Speaker 2: Well, we know where it went from there. He didn't get that opportunity, probably met with the Crabs, and I'd love to have seen his reaction when you go in there and you're thinking, Okay, let's build on some things. Drake May is good. How about you guys spend some money. How about you get me some skilled position players. How about we do that. That'd be a great start. Because you watch that roster, you watch their games, Yikes, there's not much there. And Drake May didn't play yesterday. Joe Milton played pretty well. That was fun to see a great story there. But yeah, I'm watching and I just I was disappointed that you give somebody one year, one and done, and I thought the Crafts would treat him better than that. But you know, I don't know how he was inside. I don't have any sources there. I know, I'm only going with the optics here, and I don't he didn't do well in press conferences. It felt like he was a little too critical, and you know, these players hear that, and I don't know that factored in it all. We'll talk to Tom Kern a little bit later on. He'll have you know, some inside knowledge of this. But yeah, I was disappointed, surprised, felt bad for Drod Mayo. Did he do a good job? What did you expect? Would he ended up with the same record as Belichick? And like, okay, but you've like it felt like there's a little momentum there because you found your quarterback. But Drod Mayo has shown the door. The Colts are keeping everybody, The Giants are keeping anybody, everybody, The Jags and Patriots are moving on. Will somebody be fired in the next two and a half hours on this show? Prior to to the start of the show. Now, I'm not rooting for this, I'm just saying, will we have another coaching firing in the next two and a half hours? Every year, it feels like Monday morning when we're doing the show, somebody gets fired. The Jags obviously didn't get the press release that we sent out. Don't fire anybody prior to the show. Wait between nine and twelve Eastern, six to nine Pacific, but they jumped the gun with Doug Peterson. All right, let's get a couple of phone calls in. Here's we always do every Monday. Best and Worst of the weekend. Andy is back in Rhode Island. Good morning, Andy, how are you?
Speaker 14: Good morning, Dan Dennet Marvel my brother. I'm glad to hear y'all back today. I will say that my best of the weekend is going to be with all the players that reach their census. And my goodness, Lake Ed is on our final play a three million dollars payday and he definitely had a hell of a season. And that season was, you know, hanging out on line for Tampa Bay and you know my words, I was going to divert to Tyreek Hill. But I feel that with the Pages winning that game, dropping to fort in the draft, and also just letting Mao go within minutes after this press conference, is this very uneasy feeling for New England fan base and I can only wonder what's gonna happen going forward.
Speaker 2: Well, it feels like Mike Rabel's in the on deck circle here, or maybe Ben Johnson. I don't know. It feels like Aaron Glenn is probably going to get a job. What do the Raiders do? I felt all along that the Raiders that Antonio Pierce was won and done. And I'm not going to pin this on Tom Brady, but I do think Tom Brady's opinion now is a minority owner of the Raiders is going to be factored in of If I'm Mark Davis. Mark Davis's dad was a genius. Mark Davis is not like his father. You got Tom Brady coming in, so you say to Tom, make this better. What would you do? Now you have the sixth pick in the draft. Chances are your quarterbacks aren't going to be there. Shador Sanders and cam Ward will be taken by then. It feels like, do you go out and maybe get Sam Darnold? Do you kick the tires on Aaron Rodgers for a one plus one? I'm just throwing out scenarios here, and if I'm Tom Brady, do I want Aaron Rodgers as the quarterback of the Raiders Now? I want Aaron Rodgers in a dome stadium, playing most of his game in a dome stadium. Although if I look around, you know, in the division, he's got to go to Kansas City, he's got to play in LA and then he's got to go to Denver. But he's got half his games that will be in a dome guaranteed. But do I want Aaron Rodgers? Does Aaron Rodgers want to play for the Raiders? So these are just you don't have a great group of free agent quarterbacks. Sam Darnold and Russell Wilson might be if Russ is going to be available. I mean, that's another tricky spot. If the Steelers lose again in the first round, they got Baltimore, what happens with Russell Wilson? Is Russell Wilson playing for his Pittsburgh career? Kind of feels that way. What if Mike Tomlin loses another opening round playoff game. No one talks about firing Mike Tomlin because Pittsburgh doesn't do that. But they haven't won an opening round game in a long long time. They're always relevant, they're always competitive, they always have a five hundred record, But at some point, do you say that's wonderful Mike, Like to have a playoff win. How about we get one of those that's one of those where you kind of live off the fumes of that one super Bowl that you won with Ben Roethlisberger. Is Russell Wilson playing for his job in Pittsburgh? I don't think Mike Tomlin is coaching for his job. But if he was a quarterback and didn't win a first round play Let's say a quarterback lost five or six first round playoff games, how would we feel about that quarterback? You know, Aaron Rodgers had a disastrous postseason career, Like if you look at some of those moments where they had home field advantage and you know that was a knock, that's you know, his resume will reflect that that he was sort of an average quarterback in the postseason. It did win the super Bowl, but kind of an average quarterback. But for Mike Tomlin and Russell and you're playing a team that you don't beat and you're playing them in Baltimore, well that's going to be spicy. You want to talk about a most must win game of the weekend way too early? I know, I know, I know, I know we usually do that on Friday. Most must win game of the weekend. Uh Shawn and Sacramento. Hi Sean, how are you?
Speaker 7: Yoh mango from another mother? And my brother's mine the board and then happen to hear y'all on a Monday. Best and worst actually best Bester and bested if y'all bear with me really quick, best my kams finally stringing together a couple of games. Hid Chrissy knocking these wins out like Rick Fox in the playoffs. Bester our Broncos for a team making it to the playoffs. Come on, Tyler, let's let's call, let's keep, Let's keep the bartis positive man from Sack to Brooklyn. You're already calling your shot against Buffalo. That is crazy work on a Monday. But I hear you, man, keep it going and best is so uh you know, because of my sports consumption. My wife and I got it's a little tips this week, so I pluged this weekend is to get a lot of honey to do things off my list, and I had time to go through the Dan Patrick catalog of audio books. Man I loved it. I laughed my butt off to the occasionally accurate adds of football, and man I laughed. I cried, I laughed some more to the big show with you and Chief Keith will lead to my question really quick? Then will we get a dan Patrick show audio book?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 7: Those long format on like the movie version of your show, And I'd love to hear the origin story of Fritzy, the tie, the backlash behind the rich Eisen cutting due to tie constraints, and what's the backstory behind the bathroom confessional and why is that gone? Now We've got to get that, man, give it to the dan Patrick nation.
Speaker 2: Dang, he's up, Sean. That's a lot. We did the confessional, but that's when I was giving the dan Ets an opportunity to say something without any repercussions. They could go in and they have sixty seconds at the top of each hour, and it was just sort of a you know what it was. It confidential, but you were going in there and you could say it and then I wouldn't necessarily know what you had to say. But yes, don that's because.
Speaker 5: The anonymous suggestion box was shot down. Yeah, we want to put a name to the feelings that we have.
Speaker 2: Yes, but you were going into a confessional. If you grew up in the Catholic Church, you know, you go in there and you talk to the priest about your sins. But this was a chance for the dan Nets to get something off their chest if they wanted to. But now they get the opportunity here. They get to talk whenever they want to talk. So this is sort of a confessional. All right, let me take a break. We got our play of the day coming up next, more of your phone calls as well more on the coaching situations with the NFL. Albert Breer, the Monday Morning Quarterback, will join us coming up a little bit later on top of the hour Back.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 2: Oh my God. The play of the day, Twitter, Lipsyde got it. This is the play on the day.
Speaker 4: Check this out.
Speaker 1: Nix with a playfake now rolls to his right bowe, looks in the end zone, throws a ball behind into.
Speaker 2: Receiver, bounced up into the air, bounced again, and.
Speaker 1: Then put by Devon touchdown. Denver. That ball was bous not once, but twice.
Speaker 2: That's courtesy of the Broncos Radio Network. Fritzy's broncos Play the day brought to you by tire rack dot com, the official tire expert of the program. Go to tire rack dot com slash Dan try the Tire Decision Guide. See the full lineup of Bridgestone tires special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation, tireract dot com Wait tire Buying should be watching a little bit of the Golden Globes. Last night. Our buddy Adam Sandler was there. He was up for Best Stand Up Routine or Special. He did not win, and I did text him during because Sandman is there on his phone, so I'm like, what are you doing there? And he said, I'm up for an award And then when he didn't win, and then I text him back and I said, are you leaving now? And he goes, no, You know, he's with his wife, date night, the whole thing there, but he was dressed up. He had to go kicking and screaming. It's like the last thing he wanted to do. Did you see where the guy who was in succession had a green like cap on. I don't know what those are bucketing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jeremy Strong, Yeah, he had almost like a kangole type hat and velvet green jacket.
Speaker 2: What was going on with that? He is known as a quirky guy, okay, but he was in every shot because when you know they were up there presenting, you could see him in the background. But I thought Nicki Glazer did a good job. Opening monologue was fun. You know. It's it's not like rick Ricky Gervais, who was going for the jugular like she was just going to kind of, you know, tap you a little bit here, just poke you a prodya a little bit. Ricky Gervais was a guillotine. She was more water torture.
Speaker 6: Yes, there's a funny moment with Adam Sandler when Nicky Glazer is doing like one of her monologues and she's like, Timothy shallow May, that sounds like something that Adam Sandler would have made up or whatever. She's like, say it helped me out, and he goes a shadow May.
Speaker 2: Really, m.
Speaker 6: That's really funny.
Speaker 2: I couldn't help now. Normally, when Timothy shallow May is on camera, I can't take my eyes off of him. But when they had him on camera and he's next to his girlfriend Kylie Jenner, who I think had a dress on last night, I think, but she was spilling. Like if they said, oh, somebody spilled something on the table, it would have been Kylie Jenner's I got a spell over here. Yes, Paulie. So he's a two time Golden Globe with yep just last night, yes, DoD.
Speaker 5: That must have been quite a challenge for Nicki glazing, knowing how runchy her comedy is, to do something that she knows she can't go there and to just have to poke a little bit after what she did with Tom Brady and the roasting that she does drop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you adapt. I mean, it's just a kind of smart approach for her. She knew you can't get away. But Glenn Close dropped a I think at F bomb when she was up there. It's like, if you said, who's going to drop an F bomb up here? Glenn Close probably wouldn't have been the person I would have picked. Yeah, Pauline to.
Speaker 3: Me Moore, who we love on this show. That was our first career acting award. She won a Golden Globe last night.
Speaker 2: M good for her. Yeah, we love her and nice see her up there. Yeah, she wanted fantasy Fantasy football advice from me.
Speaker 6: That was awesome.
Speaker 2: That was years ago.
Speaker 6: It's like one of the coolest things ever.
Speaker 2: Yes, she gave me her number and she wanted fantasy advice. And she was in a league with her husband, Ashton Kutcher, and they were in the car. That's when I called Ashton Kutcher soft and he couldn't believe that I would call him soft. Wait did he call me soft? But yeah, I had to me Moore's phone number, and she would text and ask me about fantasy football situation, Todd, we needed to get to me more beat.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, that's a lifetime achievement one right there, that she just gave you her phone like that.
Speaker 4: Who could say that? Very few people in the world.
Speaker 2: I never told my wife. I had to mean Moore's phone number, because you know, if I said, hey, she just wants fantasy advice on oh really football football, fantasy football? Hun AnyWho? Andrew in Washington, Andrew, welcome back, Good.
Speaker 15: Morning, Dan, Danet's thanks for taking my call. There's no following up Demi Moore wanting fantasy advice for you, but I'll try best and worst of the WEEKND My worst is the Chiefs doing load management so that fritzeeds Broncos can get into the playoffs and we don't get to seat Joe Burrow and Jamar Chase in that story, because that Cincinnati story would have been great to go into Buffalo and see what they could do against Josh Allen. My best is that Bryce Young of my Panther would becoming the first Panther QB with three passing and two rushing tds in a game to beat the Dirty Birds of Atlanta. So that was my best and worst my stat. I got it from Sunday Night Football last night. I don't know if you saw this. I was kind of brought in that by it. But seventy six percent of Super Bowls have had a number one seed since nineteen ninety and the Minnesota Vikings are now the first seed, which only two fifth seeds have ever made it to the Super Bowl and both won, the New York Giants in twenty two thousand and seven and Tampa Bay in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day, stat of the Day, that beast stat of the Day's stat of the day. Here comes that what stat of the day brought to you by Penny America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick show. Is Sam Darnold playing for his Minnesota future opening week of the playoffs? If they're out, they bow out. He did, he banked a lot of good will this year. Didn't have a good weekend though. No, No, his offensive line didn't have a good weekend either. He missed a lot of open receivers. Pauli's still all in on Sam Darnold. He's not gonna let go. When he falls in love with the quarterback, he stays in love. Yes, Paul, I don't necessarily love him. I love his situation. Mm hmm are you changing the narrative here? Then it felt like a yeah, what's the pronoun here between you and Fritzi? I'm still wei in You're we we we we. I wonder about that though, when you think about all the goodwill that he banked and now you have this game coming up this weekend, where you go it could all go away? But fourteen wins now, you're I don't know, going to be traveling going to the Rams? Yikes? All right? Albert Breer Monday Morning Quarterback. Any other coaching changes? Why did the Patriots move on from Gerrodmeo after one season? A few things? Talk to him about more of your phone calls as well. Best and worst of the weekend, just getting started. It's our one Fritzy Seaton, Marv Paula, yours truly hour two right after this