Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Gang's all here, ready to go, the Minister of Humor, Fritzy Seaton, Mar Paulie yours truly the back room guys.
Speaker 2: Seatan just ruined one word for me.
Speaker 3: Now, whenever I see this word, certainly when it comes to sports, I'm going to think of a word inside of a word. We were looking at the Houston Texans, and as tradition would have it, the Texans always play on that Wildcard Saturday when they're in the postseason, they're always the early game. It's a tradition unlike any other. So Setan goes, I'm looking at the list of all of the times the Texans have been in the wild Card playing the early game, and he said, I can't help but focus on a word inside the word, So go ahead, Seaton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just never noticed it.
Speaker 4: But for some reason, when I saw that graphic on TV, it was there like a dozen times the words Saturday and all in a row, and for some reason, I just I don't know how I never noticed this before, but I saw the word turd written in Saturday, and it's all I could see was three thirty TIRD through thirty tur through thirty TIRD through third every year through thirty TIRD through thirty thirty. Wow, why is this what my eyes are choosing to focus on? That's what my brain is saying, like this is the important part of this.
Speaker 3: The Texans playing the early game on Saturn sat turd Day?
Speaker 2: Is that tured day?
Speaker 3: Yes, tradition unlike any other eight seven seven three DP show email Addressdpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show. We'll check in with the Dallas Cowboys because Mike McCarthy, I guess, was an extended an invitation to interview for the Bear's job, but now he has to wait to see what Jerry Jones is going to do. It's embarrassing and Mike McCarthy deserves better than that. But Jerry, for some reason, either you're going to keep him or you're not. And now the Bears may be interested, whether it's real or not, but maybe somebody's doing Mike McCarthy is solid there, but his contract expires in a week. Then he doesn't need permission, but Jerry's going to make him squirm, I guess, and then he's going to have to wait Bears are going to I don't know why the Bears didn't just wait, wait a week and then Mike McCarthy's either with the Cowboys or not. You don't have to ask for permission, but the Bears want to let their fan base know. We are interviewing everybody because this is a franchise that didn't talk to Jim Harball.
Speaker 2: Last year.
Speaker 3: Former Bears quarterback Jim Harball National Champion winner Jim Harble didn't talk to Bill Belichick.
Speaker 2: Okay, this to me is malpractice.
Speaker 3: This is where you have to do this for your franchise, whether you're going to hire Jim Harball or Bill Belichick.
Speaker 2: Boy, I want to know what you think of my organization.
Speaker 5: That's all.
Speaker 2: You can go in and be open minded and say, hey, give me your pitch.
Speaker 3: What do you see? What do you think? Now I've got what Harball thinks of the Bears, and I've got Bill Belichick and what they think. And you know what, I didn't pay anything except for maybe first class travel in a hotel.
Speaker 2: That's it. Maybe a dinner. Why wouldn't you do that?
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't you bring in Harball, Why wouldn't you bring in Belichick? Bring in Mike McCarthy let them. I want him to tell you what he thought when he was in Green Bay when he played against the Bears. Granted maybe none of those players is still there, but just the organization, what he would do, what he thought of Caleb Williams, all of those things. You're crazy not to factor that in when you bring in people to interview for a job, because you get all of that information for free, and they chose not to do that last year. I think now what they're saying to their fan base is, Okay, we're going to bring in everybody we can, Benjon, Mike Brabel, Mike McCarthy. Maybe there's a couple other coordinators out there. Maybe bring in Pete Carroll, bring them all in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. PAULI a couple of weeks.
Speaker 6: Ago at Broke in Chicago that when the Bears interviewed Dan Quinn for their coaching job two years ago, they flew him in coach, not first class, not a private jet coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Dan McNeil had this in his book and talked about just how they screw up their coaching decisions. You bring in Dan Quinn and you bring him in coach. Now, maybe they screwed that up and they said, hey, we're going to bring in you know, dan Quinn coach. And then somebody in the front office, maybe a secretary, goes, okay, we're going to fly in dan Quinn coach. No, no, no, he should have been first class, not dan Quinn coach.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Eight seven to seven three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle, the TP show some phone calls coming up. Five head coaching vacancies as we speak in Rapaport a little bit later on on the best job that's opened now, that's our poll question from our one.
Speaker 2: Give me the results, Seaton. Yeah, we got up there right now.
Speaker 4: Which is the best job the five options you were just mentioning Bears, Jaguars, Jets, Patriots, Saints right now. The Bears they have about fifty one percent of that vote right now, followed by the Jaguars and Patriots are basically tied, Saints and then Jets are in last.
Speaker 2: Jets are last.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wow, Jets only have about five percent of the vote.
Speaker 2: Nobody wants that job. See, I figure if Rex Ryan wants it, then give it to him. Definitely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I want somebody who really wants that job.
Speaker 2: Whenever you're ready for Daddy to come home. I'm right here. I'm right here. Just say the word.
Speaker 3: Say good morning those watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. We say good morning to our radio affiliates around the country. iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio. I harp on this a lot. It's called getting on my soapbox. But I'm gonna do it again because I love to have a team that can run the football. Top ten rushing yards per game this season Ravens playoffs, Philly playoffs, Washington playoffs, Tampa playoffs, Green Bay playoffs, Detroit playoffs. Then you get to Arizona and Indy didn't make the playoffs. The Buffalo Bills are nine on that list. Then Atlanta barely missed the playoffs as well. These teams run the football, gotta have balance. You got to be able to at some point get some tough yards, control the clock, and sometimes your best defense is your offense. And that's why I look at these teams that ability to be able to be two dimensional.
Speaker 2: You can't buy into play action.
Speaker 3: If you don't buy into the fact that they don't have a running you can't go, oh, are they going to give the ball to Zeke Elliott. I don't care. By the way, do you see where the Chargers I think are picking up.
Speaker 2: Zeke Elliott? Yeah, And you were going to add something, Yeah, I was going.
Speaker 4: To ask, did I miss my Chargers on that list of teams that run the ball?
Speaker 3: Okay, teams that made the playoffs, not inside the top ten and rushing Chargers what Texans, Broncos, Steelers, Vikings, Rams.
Speaker 2: So the Chargers with JK.
Speaker 3: Dobbins, I would have thought, I think that's the ultimate game plan for Jim Harbaugh. The Texans with Joe Mixon. The Broncos don't run the ball very well. Steelers they I think they were on the just on the outside of the top ten. Vikings have Aaron Jones, Rams have Kyron Williams.
Speaker 7: Yes, Tom Yes, confirming Ezekiel Elliott to added to the practice squad of the Chargers, ess case someone gets hurt in the playoffs or something.
Speaker 3: M okay, Zeke Elliott, he was once a thing, not anymore, not anymore?
Speaker 2: All right, A couple of.
Speaker 3: Phone calls in here. We'll check in with the Cowboys situation, like what's the hold up here? And if you're Mike McCarthy, and he did get the opportunity to coach the Bears. Would you stay with the Cowboys if you can, or would you go to the Bears. I don't think he's going to get the opportunity to do both if.
Speaker 2: He wants to.
Speaker 3: Seems like like I don't know what happens in Jerry Jones's mind where he goes.
Speaker 2: That's right, I.
Speaker 3: Gotta hire a head coach. Well, Mike, why don't you just stay here?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 2: What's he waiting for?
Speaker 3: Maybe looking back over game plan or highlights? Having a straw boat here just seems a little odd if you're Mike McCarthy and he deserves better than that he does. Jordan in Ohio, Hi Jordan, what's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Hey Jordan?
Speaker 10: Dan.
Speaker 9: I'm a longtime listener, longtime caller five nine and a moist worn eighty five.
Speaker 5: I want to give a huge shout out to.
Speaker 9: You, Dan and the dan Ats. Twenty twenty four was an extremely tough year for me and my family, But your guys' humor and ease me easy listening definitely got me through it. Like, just listen to you every day, hear in your intelligence sports talk. That definitely got me through some of the hardest times of twenty four. Now, the next question I have is a food for thought. One, why aren't the Vikings considering Aaron Rodgers. They've got JJ McCarthy on the bench, and I know he's a hot trade piece, but why not let Sam Donald go sign for the highest money contract you can get, bringing Aaron Rodgers for a year or two and let JJ McCarthy recover. I mean, I know that would make Aaron Rodgers a total carbon copy that Brett Farre's take.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't go down that road. Thank you, Jordan, and you can't spell Jordan without dam But I'm going to distance myself from that one. I think I would franchise Sam Donald and then I would have him Let's see if he can do it again. I think a lot really hinges on what happens when they play the Rams. I really do. Because he did not look good at all against the Lions. Now, I'm gonna give credit to the Lions, but Sam Darnold this according to Dan Orlovsky of the mother Ship, missed five touchdown passes in that game. According to Dan, miss five touchdown passes. I think if they bow out there might be Now you do have Danny Dimes in Minnesota, so you could use him as a bridge, a cheap bridge. But here's the thing. This is a window of opportunity. And I keep talking about this, it closes rapidly. You want to win that. They might be the Detroit Lions. You know what the Lions did last year. Maybe the Vikings look at that and say, hey, let's run it back again. Maybe, but Detroit's going to be better next year.
Speaker 2: They are Green Bay is going to be good. Chicago may figure it out. Yes see, Detroit might be better next year.
Speaker 4: They might also be looking at like a whole new coaching staff once everybody leaves after this year.
Speaker 3: But all that talent's still gonna be there. Yeah, I got a healthy defense next year. You still have all your skilled position guys. Everybody's under contract. You got Penny Sewell under contract, Golf, Jamier Gibbs on a rookie deal. I'm on Ross Saint Brown Like, they're gonna be dangerous no matter who's coaching them. You're still gonna have Dan Campbell in there. Yeah, you want to ball to the balls?
Speaker 2: Bet right now?
Speaker 3: Ryan's better this year and next year, Well, they could end up with the same result of winning a Super Bowl. They could they could or or or dot dot dot Gabe and san Antonio. Hi, Gabe, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 8: Dan?
Speaker 11: I wanted to comment on the pull questions, but first real quick, took them horns this Friday night. Will Howard was owned two versus the horns, so when he was at Kansas State, he's gonna be owned three for his career. This Friday, I'm taking the horns. That's the five and a.
Speaker 3: Half on most Well, no, no, no, no, you can't take the five and a half.
Speaker 11: What am I laying them? How does that go?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, it's just straight up, Gabe.
Speaker 11: Oh, straight up, I'm taking the horns.
Speaker 2: You can't go.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm going to take my long horns and I need the five and a half. No, no, no, you take the horns and that's it. Yes, sir, okay, thank you gave.
Speaker 11: On most desirable coaching vacancy. It's not vacant yet, but like you talked about with mich McCarthy, it's America's team, the Dallas Cowboys. You have your quarterback, your wide receiver, your pass rusher. You're a couple of pieces away from winning the division Sirian and the Eagles are about to implode. Jayden Daniels is going to have a sophomore slump. Cowboys NFC East champions next year.
Speaker 3: Dad, Wow, Okay, you're you're betting the Cowboys NFC East Champions and you've got Texas winning Friday Night.
Speaker 11: You got it, parlay.
Speaker 2: I'm going to bet.
Speaker 3: Against you, Gabe in your parlay there. I think the Cowboys can be in a track. You just have to be built for that job. Certain jobs, you have to be built for it. And you gotta be willing to surrender to Jerry Jones. You got to be submissive. Head coaches aren't submissive. Head coaches have to be a vocal leader. You have to respect him. Remember when you had the Wade Phillips Jason Garrett transition. What a disaster. Hey, we got your coach in waiting. You got a coach who's still there. Jerry has done this time and time and time and time and time and time again.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: See, I do kind of love Jerry Jones, like his statements recently kind of sort of along the lines of like, why do you think I bought this team because I want to run it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, I'm there's never going to be a moment where I'm not the GM because that's why I bought this, and I said, this is my new job, this is what I want to do.
Speaker 3: I love that he didn't buy an expensive Porsche for somebody else to drive it. Yeah, he wants to have the top down and he wants to be heading down rodeo drive.
Speaker 2: Let Jerry cook. Yes, that's why I bought this. It's because I want to do this.
Speaker 3: It's spoken like a true billionaire, because I want to do this.
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul, But that's like saying I'm gonna buy one hundred million dollar yacht and I'm going to be the captain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who is the captain now? Yes, Mart.
Speaker 12: And in Jerry's mind, I'm sure he thinks he's a football guy that just got rich, like he just got well with the oil thing. He played football with Jimmy Johnson at Arkansas. So he's like, no, no, I'm not like the rest of you owners. I'm a football guy that just happened to stumble into oil.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm smarter than all of you.
Speaker 2: That's when you know.
Speaker 3: When when players will say to the media, did you ever play like Jerry can say yeah, played at Arkansas? Was he a defensive lineman? Was Jimmy Johnson? And defensive was Jimmy Johnson? Like a nose tackle? I think they were defensive linemen. Weren't they? Marvin checking? Okay, let me take a break. Welcome back. We'll check in with the Damads Cowboys. We got more of your phone calls. I and Rap Report of NFL Network will join us a little bit later on as well. We're back after this from the Dan Patrick Show. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't see to have the time to discuss and the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something, right, So.
Speaker 10: Check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 3: I love these hypothetical matchups in the postseason. According to DraftKings, if the Vikings meet the Lions again, Vikings getting three and a half the Rams, they would get six and a half against the Lions. Packers would get three and a half against the Lions. The Eagles, the Vikings would get four against the Eagles. The Buccaneers would get six and a half against the Eagles. Ravens would be a one point underdog against the Bills. Chargers would get four and a half against the Chiefs. Texans would get seven. So those are hypothetical matchups depending on what happens this weekend. Todd Archer, ESPN, NFL Nation Cowboys reporter joining us on the program, and you got a lot to talk about. You'll always have something to talk about here to write about your reaction. When the Bears reportedly reached out asked for permission to talk to Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 13: It certainly made it interesting for Jerry Jones to have to make it, maybe make a decision sooner than he would want to make. If he grants permission, does that tell us that Mike McCarthy is not going to be back If he doesn't grant permission, Does that tell us he is going to be back? There are so many different things he can come up with through this coaching search. I go back expect anything when it comes to this, because I go back to the last time Jerry had a coach with an expiring contract in twenty nineteen, when he interviewed Marvin Lewis and Mike McCarthy before making any announcement on Jason Garrett's status. That kind of where we are right now. Who the heck knows where they're going to how long it can take. I would think if it happens, it has to happen here soon.
Speaker 3: But why has Jerry left him dangling here? You either want Mike McCarthy or you don't.
Speaker 13: Right, you should be able to operate on parallel tracks during the course of a season and have a hypothetical list available in a desk drawer to say this is where I want to go when the season ends. We've seen other teams already make moves either designed to keep their.
Speaker 8: Coaching staff in GM or go out and make this call.
Speaker 13: Jerry has a Netflix series coming out called The Gambler, right, that's supposed to come out at some point here in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 8: I don't know if he's much of a gambler anymore. This is just not how he operates.
Speaker 13: He takes his time on things and doesn't make the bold moves that everybody expects him to make.
Speaker 8: Maybe that will come back here soon and.
Speaker 13: I'll look like a fool for saying that, But I don't know why that. This wasn't a decision that could have been made yesterday, certainly can be made today. It's hopefully by the end of the week. McCarthy's contract aspires. Dan on Wednesday, Cowboys having exclusive negotiating rights through January fourteenth. I would think if I'm Mike McCarthy, I want to know by Wednesday, because I want to know. Should I look into the Chicago thing? Should I looking at these other jobs that they that these people who might want me as coach?
Speaker 3: But Todd, you've been around this franchise a long time? How much does Jerry love the attention? Like his team stays in the news cycle constantly because he doesn't wrap anything up. Michael Parsons contract won't be wrapped up quickly, Dax wasn't, CDs wasn't.
Speaker 2: You're a head coach here.
Speaker 3: It almost feels like I want you to keep talking about my franchise.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and that's how you become ten billion dollar franchise, I guess in some respect, right, because everybody's talking about it, everybody good and bad.
Speaker 8: Right, it's the Cowboys.
Speaker 13: Fans are going to be Cowboys fans, and people will hate the Cowboys. Are always going to hate the Cowboys. So you have so much the eyeballs on you that you draw attention to you. And I think Jerry he has said it, he loves that attention that is on his franchise at some point it's not conducive to winning football games, although he'll point out that they either fifth or sixth most winning his team in the last five, six, seven years. But ultimately, Jerry bought the Cowboys in nineteen eighty nine to win Super Bowls and they've not won one since nineteen ninety five. So what are they in here just to win games? Or are they in here to win Super Bowls?
Speaker 2: Is it a good job? If it's open.
Speaker 13: This is where I might differ with people who say it might not be a good job.
Speaker 8: I will say it is a good job.
Speaker 13: The head coach of the Dallas Cowboys has the biggest say in the franchise if they choose to be the loudest voice in the franchise. Now we can go back to nineteen ninety eight. I think chan Gaily didn't want Randy Moss. The Cowboys didn't draft Randy Moss. You know, there have always been some little hiccups along the way. Bill Parcels didn't want too. They still signed too. What was the corollary moved to that they cut Larry On That was the guy that builded one around.
Speaker 8: So that was one for one, right, there.
Speaker 13: But this is a good job beyond because it's one of thirty two, because it is the Cowboys and this is a roster that really was hit hard by injury. But you have a quarterback that'll be coming back, you have a number one ride receiver, you have Micah Parsons, you have other pieces in place that can win with you at a quick turnaround. But it's incumbent on Jerry to do more in the offseason than he did last year, where their biggest free agent signing was either Zeke or Eric Kendricks. They have to do more than that to supplement this roster. They can't just rely on improvement from within. But if the head coach wants the power or I don't want to say power, wants to say and it'll put the work in, he can have to say to get what he wants the majority of the time.
Speaker 3: But if you're al and you hear, hey, this is why I bought the team. I want to be the GM. I want to run the team. Like what Jerry Jones have fired Jerry Jones, Well, he.
Speaker 13: Hasn't done it yet, so I would say no, I'll sit and I don't want to come across like I'm defending the way Jerry operates this. But in Jerry's mind, the GM is the guy who cuts the check, so that's why he keeps the title. The GM of the Cowboys is really Will McClay.
Speaker 8: He's the guy that does the work that of what a general manager does.
Speaker 13: And if you look at how they've drafted since Will McClay has been here since twenty fourteen, it's.
Speaker 8: Been among the best in the NFL.
Speaker 13: So people we get hung up on the title, but Jerry is not going into the draft room and saying, who do you want?
Speaker 8: Who do you want? Who do you want?
Speaker 13: No, you guys want this guy. No, no, no, I want this.
Speaker 8: Dude, and we're going to take that guy.
Speaker 13: That's not how it works, and it's really not how it's worked here for quite a long time. I'll go on my twenty plus years of covering the team. It truly has been a conglomeration of efforts to get the right get the guy everybody wants. And we can point to another example of Jerry not getting what he want when they drafted Zach martin twenty fourteen and not Johnny Manzel.
Speaker 3: Oh I know I remember that because he wanted he wanted. He likes that shiny object there, and I go back that I think he wanted Connor Cook, and Connor Cook was taken, and then they took Dak Prescott.
Speaker 8: Right, Yeah, and not just Connor Cook.
Speaker 13: They tried to trade back, trade back into the first round and take Paxton Lynch.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 13: So those are two two moves that the Cowboys are glad they didn't make, and they ended up getting Dak Prescott with not only their their second fourth round pick, a compensatory pick. It took a defensive end out of Oklahoma with their first fourth round pick that year over Dak Prescott.
Speaker 3: You go back to Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones that relationship. Could it have worked.
Speaker 8: Longer than it had?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: No, I don't so. I think Jerry wanted out.
Speaker 13: And again that was before my time here, but havn't talked to a lot of people that have been around and talked to Jimmy about it and talk to Jerry about it. I think Jerry wanted I think Jimmy wanted to go somewhere else too. I think his time here was done, and I think he realized there's only so long of a shelf life. A coach can have clearly that he and Jerry had differences of opinion on who did what and the separation of powers and things like that. I think it lasted as long as both sides wanted it to last, and it was time for them to split up.
Speaker 3: But if you look in the history of the NFL trades that were made, where do you put what Jimmy did. I'm giving Jimmy the credit for herschel Walker deal, now I'm sure Jerry gets credit to Bud. The importance of that trade compared to other trades in NFL history, where does that rank?
Speaker 8: I mean, I don't know how it's not.
Speaker 13: I'm going to say it's number one because I can't think of another one that would top it, just because that was the start of everything for the nineties Cowboys, and at the time when they made that trade, nobody, everybody de thought it was for these players and didn't realize the pick element of it, and then how everything kind of that team was built through that trade for a number of years and the guys that they got out of that. So they have a tour at the Star where the people can come in and it's famous, right because everybody wants to take a tour of the Star and then see the players and things.
Speaker 2: But there's one.
Speaker 8: Segment of the herschel Walker trade.
Speaker 13: So that tells you what the Cowboys think of that trade and what it meant to them in their history. So but yeah, without that trade, there probably is not a Super Bowl run of the nineteen nineties.
Speaker 3: The Vikings don't have a tour where they focus on the herschel Walker deal just love you.
Speaker 13: Their tour involves Randy Moss going to them and not.
Speaker 2: The percentage that Mike McCarthy is back. Is what if you were going to put a number on this.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I talked to some people in the organization the last couple of days and before the game I think the people that I spoke to said he will be back, and it might have been a sixty five to thirty five. Talking to people after the game on Sunday and just what hasn't come out of the organization or out of the meetings with Jerry, it's probably.
Speaker 8: Closer to fifty to fifty at this point.
Speaker 13: Oh boy, And by the time we end there our discussions, it might be back to seventy thirty.
Speaker 8: He's staying because this is such an in the wind.
Speaker 13: As Mike I told us yesterday, he's in the wind just like us. So the players really don't know what's going on here either.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Todd. Good to catch up with you again.
Speaker 11: Got it.
Speaker 8: Thanks Dan, appreciate it, Todd.
Speaker 3: Archer, ESPN, NFL Nation Cowboys reporter. So got an exclusive negotiating window there with Mike McCarthy after tomorrow and see if they're going to bring him back. Multiple reports say Mike Rabel will be in Chicago tomorrow to interview with Bears, a formal interview. Oh, has he already talked to the Patriots. I don't see anything reported there. And they're gonna bring in Mike Rabel. It's gonna be fun. Yeah, musical chairs. I still think the Raiders are gonna make a move here. I think Mike McCarthy's back for some reason. I think it's one of those where you go, Okay, do you think it's gonna happen that they would let him go? Yeah, but it's the Cowboys and Jerry Jones. I think they'll keep him, and I think it makes sense to keep him.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: I think he's a good coach. I just sometimes it's it feels like he gets blank, he gets kicked, you know, and it's not fair to him. But you sign up and you know that, and I'm assuming that, yes, he knew what he was getting into. It's like when you're the Yankee manager, you know what you're signing up for. You can't go Damn. I didn't know that they really cared this much. I didn't know ownership got involved.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like that's the job, right, Yeah, being the guy that gets kicked. Yeah, that's that's what it comes with.
Speaker 3: Uh, let's see and Cincinnati. Hi, Bill, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Hey, DP, I like to nominate Forrest Gregg as my coach that I most want. It looks like a coach. He was the only guy that could stare down Anthony Munos and they have Anthony say yes.
Speaker 3: Sir, I don't think he had to stare down Anthony. Might be the best offensive lineman I ever saw. But Forrest greg played for Vince Lombardi and you saw him on the sidelines, you coached the Bengals, and he looked like a former offensive lineman who played for the Packers. Yes, Marvin, what about Bud Grant? Bud Grant, Yes, Bud Grant. We got the photograph there on Fritzy's desk. I love that Bud Grant didn't want heaters on the sidelines. You know, they were outdoors Metropolitan Stadium and that became part of the Vikings. Like I loved the Vikings growing up. I thought, you know, Joe Capp, Fran Tarkington, but they could never you know, they'd run into the Steelers and nobody lived at town about it when you ran into the Steelers in the postseason.
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul, the Vikings had Bud Grant back to honor him when he was eighty eight years old. There's a picture them on the field. Everyone's bundled that the players have those neck things and facings. He's wearing a Vikings polo shirt and a baseball hat. He looks comfortable. Oh man, Col's afraid of him?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 2: Art or ari in Dallas? Is it art or ari?
Speaker 14: Art? Aart?
Speaker 2: What do you have?
Speaker 14: So I'm a high school teacher and I've been noticing something recently that I don't I wanted your opinion on. I guess a PSA type deal, But I'm noticing a high high amount of boys that are on their phone doing sports betting and their parents have no clue that they're doing that. And these kids are talking about point spreads, parlays, and they're they're going behind their their parents back, they're using their parents social security or their older brothers, and like it's it's all day long. These kids have their assignments up while they also have points spread up.
Speaker 2: What have you said to them?
Speaker 14: So I've asked them if their parents know about this, and some of them say yes, some of them say no. At this point, it's on their personal device, not their school device. So at that point, it's like how much of this is with the school? So I've tried to write some stuff to their parents as well too, And I've also told some of their kids, like, if your parents know that you're betting, how much do they know that you're bet Like how often? Because these kids are like all day long? And I have the privilege of working at two different high schools, and I've asked that all the teachers around and everybody else is starting to say the same thing. We're like, yeah, we're starting.
Speaker 9: To know that a lot.
Speaker 2: But I think it's incumbent upon you.
Speaker 3: If you can to gather other teachers, maybe the principal and say this could be a larger problem than we realize, and we need to collectively come together, and we need to have somebody come in and talk to the students. There's always a lot of you know, you know gam who have you know, they're in rehab, gamblers, anonymous, you know. There you can get somebody to come in who be willing to talk to them. And I think it's really important that they hear not from you, because they may not listen to you with this, but they'll listen to somebody who lost everything, who started out betting ten dollars, twenty five dollars, one hundred dollars. And I think if you could do something like that, this might be something where these kids years from now look back on that and say thank you, thank you, Art for helping us correct.
Speaker 14: And the other thing, too, is just for all the fathers that are out there listening, like take a look at your teenage son's phone because of the fact that this is what they're doing right now, and double check and make sure that they're doing that.
Speaker 2: Thank you Art.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I have DraftKings and I've told you my gambling situation. I quit cold turkey, but I needed to because I got caught.
Speaker 2: Up in it.
Speaker 3: I did make money, thankfully, but I was betting money that I didn't have, and I can see where it's arts. All of a sudden, you lose a couple of hundred, then you double up on Sunday, and then you come back on Monday night. I know how this works, and everybody says the same thing. I'm betting with money I have to lose, okay, get you get caught up in this, and that's where you got to be aware of it, because you know, I was probably twenty three, twenty four years of age. If you've got somebody who's fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, you don't have the wherewithal and I didn't even have it at that age. But just be aware of these situations because this is going to be a problem, and it may already be a problem because you get people who think they can win. You will never ever win unless you quit after making you know, you cash on a big bet.
Speaker 2: That's it. And you need.
Speaker 3: The cold hard truth with this because once all of a sudden you're down five hundred, then all of a sudden, you're probably stealing stuff to pay for this. You don't want mom and dad to figure it like it can go. It can go down a road that is ugly and it can impact a family. And I think if you are a teacher and you have that ability to be able to talk to that, bring in somebody who is a reformed gambler, because they will give you horror stores, they'll give you the truth of what happens, and you really have to get, you know, get their attention. Scared Straight. There used to be a documentary years and years and years ago that was about, hey, if you don't get your act together, you could end up in prison with us. It was called Scared Straight. And you could see the reaction on these kids' faces. It's like, this isn't my dad saying something to me or a teacher. This is somebody who's in prison saying you could end up here. Scared Straight take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: A light bit of news from Adam Schefter from the Mothership, who says that Ran Carthon is out as the Titans general manager, per sources, spent two years in Tennessee with two different head coaches, and here they have the number one overall pick, and they will have a new GM to help.
Speaker 2: Make that pick. All right, poll question, what job is the best job available?
Speaker 14: Now?
Speaker 2: We're not including the Cowboys in this, PAULI just the five current opening.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's go around the room. The best coaching vacancy right now in the NFL is what Todd the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 7: Even though it's a tough division. You know, we've got Caleb there. I'm assuming he's going to improve and not regress. Big city expectations aren't huge. I like a Chicago Bears job.
Speaker 2: The expectations are huge.
Speaker 7: Even though the Lions and Vikings and Packers are no.
Speaker 3: No. They had them as a playoff team. The fans thought they were going to be a playoff team. They had the number one pick. They thought they were going to be a playoff team. Expectations will not diminish next year, They'll be even heightened. Now we're going to assume that the pay is the same for all the coaches, all these vacancies, the pay is the same. So Fritzi has the Bears as the most attractive job Seaton.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think it's probably the Bears because they already have some pieces and they seem a little further along in the rebuild process than like say, the Patriots. They got one guy and then a bunch of openings. They got a lot of money though, yeah they do. They got a lot of money to spend. I just I don't know why they didn't spend that money this past year, all right, Marvin Besting opening best vacancy.
Speaker 12: Because of that reason about the money I have the Patriots, Oh, they got their quarterback. They got a bunch of money to spend. Hopefully they spend it wisely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I don't know if I want to go into that situation knowing that the guy before you was a one and donner And are you going to spend the money because you I mean, this is like a three year build out here, and will they be patient in a three year build out here?
Speaker 2: Paulie best opening is.
Speaker 6: I'm not going to say the Bears because of their questionable ownership, their focus on a new stadium instead of making a good football team should be the other way around.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go with the Patriots.
Speaker 6: Quality ownership, quality, history, lots of money, very good young quarterback.
Speaker 3: I would say the Bears, because you do have your quarterback. If you believe you got your quarterback, you got a couple of good receivers.
Speaker 2: I thought that they.
Speaker 3: Were going to be a playoff team this year, or at least right on the cosp I thought that they would be a nine win team. When they were four and two, you lose to they lost in London. They also lost to the Commanders, and then after that it just went downhill from there. And I think that's where you're like, oh boy, this is you know, even this last game of the year and they were a big underdog against Green Bay and I said, wait a minute, everybody's playing for the Bears, right And I said this to Paulie. I said, this doesn't that pointspread doesn't seem right. I thought the Bears could win this game. They ended up winning the game. It's a rivalry game. It's like the Saints against the Buccaneers. I would have taken the Saints in the points. I would have taken the Bears against the Packers. Yes, Paulin, the Bears.
Speaker 2: Lead the league in irony.
Speaker 6: Winning the last game against your big rival to give a weird sense of hope to your fan base. If you go back, remember the loss against the Commanders. I think that was week seven or eight, and they had the game and Jaden Daniels was going to lose to Caleb Williams weirdly and the defensive back was looking the wrong way and the touchdown. It went completely south after that, Yeah, wild, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: They you lose in London, you lose on last second, and that one of those losses. And we talked about this, sometimes a loss is more than just one loss that it lingers. It's like one and a half losses or two losses, and it stays there, and then you keep thinking about that loss. People keep questioning, how did you lose that game? Why didn't you cover that, Why didn't you do that? Why was he doing that? Then all of a sudden, it just kind of permeates. It's just there. It's almost like smoke that gets into your clothing even after you've watched it, and it doesn't leave.
Speaker 2: Sean and Oregon. Hi, Sean, welcome.
Speaker 15: Back, Hey Dan, thanks for taking my call. You know I heard you earlier talking about guys that want to be a star or and stay in the limelight. And I heard you guys talking about guys that you know they don't look like coaches. Well, this guy that wants to stay in the limelight, and he looks like the jandor it's Bill Belichick. When I think of that good looking coaches and really good professional coaches, I think of Tom Landry and how Tom Landry was just he was the.
Speaker 2: Mall yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: We talked about that demeanor, suit and tie hat, looked like he was either going to church or just coming from church. And of course played in the stadium where they had the opening so God could watch the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Yes, ton I was always.
Speaker 7: Fascinated as a little kid, how stoic they could be winning thirty eight three or losing thirty eight three, and he would look pretty much exactly the same, never got excited, She had the same face on.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep.
Speaker 3: You know a lot of these coaches, you know, they coached emotionally. Tom Landry didn't. He was just like, all right, wait are you winning? I don't know, Wait are you getting blown out?
Speaker 2: I don't know?
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvin was he the last coach to wear a suit. Hank Straham wore one, Lombardi wore one. Trying to think Dicka wore a sweater. I think at a tie, yeah, PAULI.
Speaker 6: Mike Nolan the coach maybe fifteen years ago at the forty nine ers, he would wear a suit and then the NFL made him wear like the gear that they were gonna sell each week.
Speaker 2: Mike Nolan wore suit. Was he the last suitor? Yes? End of the suits? Okay hmm.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You would see Hank Stram and then he had little pocket square the like Kansas City Chief logo. Lombardi would be out there, but Lombardy would be like a short sleeve shirt, white shirt and a tie out there everybody and they probably went to church and then they went to their game on Sunday, Blanton Collier with the Cleveland Brown. So I remember he had a hat. You know, they had a like a nice coat, trench coat out there. Now you look, you know Belichick's got his sleeves cut off. It's like he just woke up from a bender and I said, got a football game, all.
Speaker 2: Right, I'll just wear this.
Speaker 3: This is what you know when you're in college and you wake up and you're gonna be late for class, and you're like, I'm just gonna wear this. I remember wearing warm up pants in class, like, hey, h it.
Speaker 2: Seems good to me. The tearaway pants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at least no, I didn't have tearraway. I always wanted tear away pants. That's what she said. Alrighty, Final Hour coming up. Ian Rapaport from NFL Network will join us. The team that didn't make the playoffs that's in the best shape going into next year. We'll talk about that coming up. Two hours in the books, the Minister of Humor Fritzy Seaton, Marv Pauli years truly final hour back after this