Speaker 1: Commander's family is the bye week, but we still got next man up for y'all. Johnny Knew and Jermander pulls up to the studio to talk about his bye week and what his rookie season has been like so far. Then we're bringing it back. We're bringing in the Washington Legend. Chris Baker joins the show to talk about how he's recovered from his stroke and how he's trying to move forward.
Speaker 2: In his life. All that and more. Right now, our next man.
Speaker 1: Up commanded standing for our next man up. We have somebody extremely special up and very excited. Talk to this Cadgy because I haven't talked to him since he was drafted and signed that contract.
Speaker 2: Welcoming in Juramander. Johnny Knew into the building.
Speaker 3: What's up, brother, I'm done good. Appreciate it for having.
Speaker 4: Me, man.
Speaker 2: I'll bring it in.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: I'm happy to be with you.
Speaker 3: I'm feeling good.
Speaker 2: It's always good vibes talking to you.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: It's crazy to think last time we said and spoke, you had just got in the building. Yeah, I don't think you really even knew what to expect. We didn't even know that you were struggling with an injury at that time or none. We had no clue what was going on then and now we're here. So first things first, man, how has it been man, your rookie year?
Speaker 3: It's been great.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: Not a lot of brothers, A lot of brothers on this football team, you know. Uh, great coaching staff, everybody bringing that energy every single day. And uh it's been great through the highs and lows. You know, a lot of brothers. Uh, this has been a great feeling, you know.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: When the team bring that energy every single day, it's just like it's fun coming to work.
Speaker 1: Has anything surprised you so far about the NFL? The speed, the pace, the work it takes anything surprised?
Speaker 6: Uh, Yeah, for sure. When I first got into speed, of course, like these girl men I have you gotta get you gotta get adjusted to that speed immediately.
Speaker 3: But other than that, man.
Speaker 6: Just uh seeing people that I grew up watching, That's that's the craziest thing for me.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: And playing with some some legends really, but realizing that we are human at the end of the day. I grew up watching them boys play. Starstruck when I see a lot of people, but we human at the end of the day, So that's always cool.
Speaker 1: And it's been an interesting start for you man, because again, man, you started with with an injury coming in here, and you had to deal with that and find your way back on the field. Man, that's not easy to do, especially somebody like you that's just hungry to get out there and compete. Man, what was that like getting back on that field when you started your NFL career.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure, it was a great feeling. You know, I had the injury too.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 6: I had the injury before I got drafted than the injury after I got drafted. It's really just like my life story though, you know, for like always got to work and uh just had to work for that to get back healthy.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: I never really had no major injury, so I just attacked it with that same mentality. And once I got on the field, Uh, I came in week two, so lucky got through into that fire.
Speaker 3: But it was a great feeling.
Speaker 6: No, this is my dream, So like I said, I've been working hard for it, working to get to it, and still working to improve myself and be the best.
Speaker 1: And you said it you never dealt with anything like that before, man, And was it tough?
Speaker 4: Was it hard.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was tough mentally, like right when it happened, that's it hit like, man like another setback. It was just like what happened before I got drafted, before the comeby and we found out my right woe was broke. I was like, man like, I also to come out of my whole life. Wanted to go out there run my forty and uh. And then once I got drafted, I like, man like, it's right in right before camp. OTA's all the stuff. So but man, like I said, we got great people in the building. So I came in here every day like, man, I'm finna go like, I'm finna go practice something like, Man, let me go kill this little workout real quick.
Speaker 3: This is let rehab.
Speaker 6: I was coming here bright and early, even though some days when the team wasn't here, I was still coming here trying to get better, get healthy.
Speaker 3: And uh, I'm glad I did because I look around that now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, And during that whole process you talk about the people in the building, dan Quinn, all this coaching stuff, man, they still showed you a lot of love.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: Not a lot of times where you know you can't get that rookie on the field immediately. Do you still hear so many great things about his work ethic, about his speed, about his power, And that's the stuff we heard about you.
Speaker 2: What did that do for you?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 1: Having the culture staff, these people are new to you, They don't really know you like that, but they trusted you enough to draft you, bring you in here, and then they still hold you to a high regard even though you ever got to play yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, it just shows that they trusted me. Honestly.
Speaker 6: They saw me rehabbing my treatment. They're come in there some morning six am, I being there already breaking out rehabbing, so they knew that I was hungry, you know. Like I said, I attacked the rehab like I attack a practice or a game like full speed, full thrilled, or like I mean what I do and I'm passionate about it. So if it was anything to get me back on the field quicker, I was full thought a at it. And uh, it just shows everybody in the buildings like trust and belief in not even not as just a character like upbringing anybody. Like like I said, we all won all a family in this building, so uh, just installing like that family aspect, I feel like it's like it's real and it building, you know. And uh, I'll give a shout out to Dylan Thompson because uh he played a big role in all of that, and uh give us a lot of words of wisdom.
Speaker 1: Can you can you spell on that a little bit? What about dealing? Like what made you want to shout him out?
Speaker 4: Just now?
Speaker 2: Talk about those words of wid.
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 6: Uh, just the talks he'd be giving the team, uh to the rookies, just uh that intars a lot of confidence and us and uh cools us down definitely as a rookie, you know. Uh, Like I said, the highs and lows, but at the end of the day, like I can miss go out there and miss five sacks, He'll still give me the biggest hug. And that's from the top to the bottom like everybody.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: When I was at my worst, uh the Steelers game, Uh that a mistake that I had. Uh, he was right there like like man, I got you, shot me in text, Man I got you. You gonna be all right, and uh just like things like that, and uh it just spreads throughout the building. So that's a guy that like I'm really thankful and grateful for man.
Speaker 1: And since you mentioned it, let's talk about that Steelers moment because I got to be on the field during it. Man, I got to see how visibly upset you were. Man, how much that tore you apart. Just bring us back to that moment, man, and what's going through your head because we know as players, right, we know it's not one play that makes a game, right, but I know for you, you took it as that.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: Just bring us back to that moment and what you were going through.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I got that champion mindset. So everything I do, like I said, I take personal. Like like I just said earlier, I want to be one of the greats to do it, if not the best I ever do it. So every little mistake, I'm like real critical about myself. And that was just a bad moment for me. But I learned from it immediately, Like I rewatched it, Like, man, why did I do that? But Nah, Yeah, I was hard on myself. Just showed a lot of emotion, But that's just who I am as a player, Like I care about it.
Speaker 3: I care about.
Speaker 6: Winning and I'll do anything to help the team win. So in that moment, I was just really upset with myself that I did that I should have known better, but I definitely learned from it.
Speaker 1: And you talk about these ebbs and flows of the NFL season and these lows that you have experienced, the injury, that play. But you're coming into a room Jonathan Allen, darn pain Mathis. You have guys that were drafted also high coming from big schools and have also played at a high level.
Speaker 2: How was that unit and that team helped you get through all this?
Speaker 1: Because we talked to Mathis last week and he said that he was like, Jonathan Allen was huge and just helping me be mentally ready for when I come back from the injury.
Speaker 2: Is that the same for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 6: We sat right next to each other, so uh he Alway tells him like, man, I can't wait for you to get back, and I'm like, man, he don't even know. Like he like, I've been looking up to John Allen, like I was scrolling through my Twitter, like I'm following people. There's like random people, and he was I scroll all the way to the bottom to like the people who are like my first followers, and he was like the tenth one, Wow, And I had my Twitter a Concerts twenty sixteen. So I should tell you how long I've been like John. That's really when he says something like it means something to me.
Speaker 3: Doron too.
Speaker 6: Man, he came right after John, but man, I was Thembama boys on some boys.
Speaker 3: My whole life.
Speaker 6: So like like if you watch football you played like no way you damn watch them and be like, man, like I can't. I want to look like them boys. And those are the boys our girl watching when they in the same room now. So like, for instance, John hurt, but he's still be in the building, still giving me wise words, uh, having my back, telling me what to do, what not to do, helping me. And same as Duran, Like we on the field together, me and Duran communicating and like do this, do that?
Speaker 4: Do this?
Speaker 3: Do that?
Speaker 6: He telling me what he see and uh, it just helps me out so much and makes me comfortable and makes me enjoy the game.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting when you say that because Jonathan Allen, a guy like that that's done so much in his career.
Speaker 2: He don't owe you anything. You don't even have.
Speaker 1: To come and short for you, especially because now you're getting a lot of minutes when he's not on the field. What does it mean you to see a guy like that still be a leader, still short for his team, even though he's going through such such a tough injury.
Speaker 6: Man, that's just I don't even know how to explain it. That's my big brother. My big brother, was big brother. That was my big brother for shuw though. Man, But that just shows you how great of a person he is. Like outside of football, I saw of all of the achievements that he's had, like he was just a great guy overall, like putting people before itself all the time, like no matter what instance, like he'll always have our back.
Speaker 3: I feel like I could.
Speaker 6: Call John at any time any advice for anything and it just talk to me about it. Like he's just like a person you could just go and talk to, you know, listen and great life advice. Man, he don't been there, done it. So like I said, that's my big brother, and I'm with a row.
Speaker 1: To die And for Darien says something very interesting and he was like, you know, the injury almost ended up being having a positive to it as well, because it brought y'all even closer together because y'all want to win for him, y'all want to dominate, dominate for Jaya. Can you talk about that a little bit and what that means to just go out there and put on form since he can't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. I texted him right when it happened.
Speaker 4: I was like, man, like.
Speaker 6: It hurt me, like because I know how it was when I was like, man, I know I want to get on that field, and we shot that same mentality like, man, I can still play hurt. So, Uh, I just know how he felt. But man, they hurt me. They even think about like when he told us he was wanting to get surgery, but I know he worried though, so I knew he was gonna do whatever to get back on the field. I mean, he still is doing everything in the spower to get back on the fielding. It just shows me, like that grit. He has the love for the game, and uh, I love that because I love the game.
Speaker 3: Man, That's that's my life. I'm passionate about it.
Speaker 6: And uh and I always go out there to represent my brother's name on the front of the name on the back. So every time I get I'm gonna put on phone.
Speaker 1: And it's well the timing because it seems as if when he left. It was when you were really starting to come back, and now thankfully we have you here to be able to fill in and make up for those minutes. How do you make the most of this opportunity you're getting now because J's healthy and drawn pain. I mean, you're gonna be doing playing a much different role. You're more of a rotational player. But now you're getting really great minutes. Man, how are you making the most of this right now while you have that chance?
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure?
Speaker 6: Just going out there, playing fast and physical, trying to dominate whoever in front of me. Just getting used to the game, more comfortable with the game, more comfortable with informations, block recognitions, and just learning the game as I go. You know, I don't like I like I always said, I don't like being considered a rookie, but like, like, I'm still learning everything, and I feel like, I mean, you always learning, but I'm picking up stuff faster, recognizing stuff faster, and just game more comfortable with the game. Like I see some of the vests they know step before even and I'm like, man, I'm still working towards that, so, uh, just getting more comfortable with the game. And like I said, whenever I go out there, I'm doing everything I can to help the team win. So that's trying to dominate a man in front of me.
Speaker 1: I don't know if is a better place to be when you talk about learning in this place, Daryl Tap, Shari Floyd Rka, talk about energy. Man, those guys have not only played at a high level, but now they're coaching at a high level. Talk about them and how they've helped you acclimate to the NFL.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure, Like you said, coaching at a high level. They bring that energy every day. Man, we break it down every single day and uh good or bad, Tap go coming there with great energy and it just like flows throughout the room. Like I feel like our D line room so close, man, probably like the closest room I don't been in my whole life. Just how we interact in the room, do stuff off the field, going out with each other like like we've real like real life like first cousins and they family like got closed with them been and uh that just come from the higher up. That's how Reef, Ryan and Tap is with each other. Like I said, we all working to be great. So that's being the greatest D line in the NFL, So that's what we're working towards every single day.
Speaker 2: Have you experienced the brotherhood like this before?
Speaker 6: Man, Illinois was all about family, you know, and it was like everybody was real, real, real clothes. But I feel like here, like like it's like every day it's like going out to a cookout with your family. That's how I feel. You know, I got them uncles that's gonna bring that in. And that's the coaches, the little kids out there playing football, that's us. So that's how I feel every single day, just like a great time.
Speaker 2: Hey, Johnny Man, I'm so glad you're having a great time.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: It's been so great watching you progress through this rookie year. Man, I know you're gonna only do great things and for I'll let you go. Maybe we got the bye week five weeks here, man, how are you feeling it? Are you like, yes, the bye weeks here?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: Because this is a very late bye week for NFL.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Man, I like playing football, Like I'm still young. I could get groovy, man, So I like bacon, egg and cheesing people. So I mean the bye week, yeah, it's go feel good for our bodies. But I can't get back. I can't wait to get back to playing football. But Barbie Week definitely need it. You know, everybody needs a break sometime in their life in week next week, so it'll feel great to you know, just chill, relaxed, be with the family. But I can't wait to beckon ake and gee somebody.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir man, it's all about the bacon, egg and cheese. We love that, Johnny, Thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 4: Brother.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you. Man. Enjoy your bye week. Man, get so much. You need to rest cause you deserve it.
Speaker 1: Man, command this family, our next man up, you're mander, Johnny do mister bacon.
Speaker 3: Egg and cheese.
Speaker 1: Command this family for our next man. That we have a very very special Washington legend joining us.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: I'm just so happy this brother gets to be here and even just talk to us. And it's healthy to be here with us.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: Let me shout out our defensive lineman, Chris Bacer.
Speaker 4: Brother, how you doing Chris great? Great?
Speaker 2: Yes, sir man.
Speaker 1: Even hard to even do that intro, Man, because I know how much you've been through and for me, I've had family members that have suffered a stroke and have dealt with that and I know that there's not always coming back from that. So to just talk to you man and see you looking good and healthy and strong, man, it just makes me really happy.
Speaker 4: Man. Welcome on the show, brother Man.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it. Man, It's been a real blessing. You know, I'm here for a reason. What reason I don't know, but God has helped me figure that out. But you know, I had a stroke and it was like I walked out in there like nothing happened. And it's like when you go to church, they always have this all same. Thank God, I don't look like what I've been through, So I just think that he's, you know, keeping his hands on me and allowing me to continue my life as normal as possible.
Speaker 4: Amen.
Speaker 1: And that's a great perspective to have, because again, you are here for a reason. Not everybody makes it from that and is able to walk away from that or the fact that you did. Man, it's a huge blessing. And it's also a shane that you know, you are supposed to be here, meant to be here. So we thank you so much for taking that time. So let's just really dive into that because again, I know I have family members that have suffered from that, and I know people all around the world have had that issue with family members or themselves as well.
Speaker 4: So do you know what causes a stroke? Initially?
Speaker 2: Do you know what happened? It happened back in twenty twenty three, right.
Speaker 5: Uh, yeah, I'm not sure. It could have been stress, it could have been COVID related. I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: And a lot of people would they have away because.
Speaker 5: I was thirty five years old I had a stroke, and I'm like, what, I'm still trying to figure out if I really want to retire, if I might want to come back and give it a shot.
Speaker 4: So it's like, what do you mean, I'm having a stroke?
Speaker 2: That's wowd Man Exuce.
Speaker 1: I mean a lot of people like from a stroke, you might like you lose the way you talk or the way you move or like motor functions.
Speaker 2: Have you did? Did anything change for you after that stroke?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: Yo, It was.
Speaker 5: Crazy because when I had the stroke, I was so alert to the point when I came back to and I was really moving around and They're trying to like put these belts, I mean to help me with balance, but I'm like, yo, I'm a football player.
Speaker 4: I'm good leave me alone. I'm not old.
Speaker 5: I'm not an eighty year old man. But they had to follow hospital procedure. But it was like a couple of days after I had the stroke and I was moving around, I was really I really never lost consciousness, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So I always felt like I was good.
Speaker 5: I'm like, am I checking out so I could go help with my dad plowers snow that we have a landscaping company here in Connecticut. So I'm feeling that normal. They're like, yo, You're gonna be here for a while. I'm like, what what are you talking about? I'm about to I thought, I'm thinking I'm about to leave to gold plow snow. And that's how normal I felt.
Speaker 1: Wow, wow, so you really didn't that. That's actually really crazy. But again a blessing, a blessing that you were able to walk away from that when something like that happens. And we're gonna get into your whole career, right, But when something like that happens, how.
Speaker 2: Does that affect your life to this day?
Speaker 1: I'm sure probably change your perspective on everything almost definitely.
Speaker 5: I mean, you go from being what you feel like it's super healthy to overnight having a stroke and just shine and recovery.
Speaker 4: You know, it puts things into perspectives.
Speaker 5: But I just think, God, nothing really happened to me where it really put me down.
Speaker 4: I was still the normal Chris. I just I just had a stroke.
Speaker 2: What were you doing when it happened.
Speaker 5: I was just sitting at the house, just chilling, and then I slipped and fell, and I couldn't figure out how I felt. But after I replayed everything, I had this stroke in my left side probably went numb. So when I went to go take a step, I just fell. I couldn't figure out how I just fell. But now that I know I had a stroke. When I tended to take a step, when I went to go step on my left side, my foot just gave out. So I fell on the ground. And so I'm just laying there and no one was home that I was staying with my friend at the time. She comes home from being out with her friends and I'm just sitting on the couch looking for help because my phone was on the left side. It was on my left side. So she's calling me from being out with her friend. She callsed me three times and I don't answer, so she wound up just coming home. When she comes home, I'm laying on the ground. I'm like, yo, I got a pee, I got a peek. He help me get up with peek? Now, mind you, I'm probably like three ten, three fifteen at the time, and I'm like, help me get up, and she's trying to help me get off the ground so i can go peek. But obviously i'm dead wade at that time, so she can't. I'm not budgeting. So she was like, well, I'm about to call nine one one. I'm cussing around, like what the hell are you doing? Like I'm straight to help me get up to peek. And then when she caught the ambulance or nine one one, they said, tells him to look at you and smile. And when I smile on my left side of the face wasn't moving. It was like, yo, he's having a stroke. But I'm talking to her like everything is normal. I'm like, bro, just got a peek.
Speaker 2: How long were you laying there before she got there?
Speaker 4: Like thirty maybe like thirty to forty minutes. I was just chilling.
Speaker 5: I'm not thinking nothing's wrong, even as I'm having or the stroke that is going on I still don't think nothing's wrong.
Speaker 4: I'm like, yo, I got a peek.
Speaker 2: That's all you could think about.
Speaker 1: So even though you're laying on the ground, you could feel that you can't move your body A registering.
Speaker 5: I didn't know what to think because my left side was numb. And then I was trying to like get up off the ground, but I could not move on my left side right. But I couldn't figure out, like what is wrong? I don't know what's wrong. But something's wrong, But I don't know what's wrong. I'm like, how did that fall? And why can't I get up? I couldn't figure out why I couldn't, like, we'll go to the left side of whither to the right side and just get all the way up. But my whole left side must have went numb. But I didn't know. I'm just thinking I slept wrong or took a nap wrong, and my fucking arms just sleep. Yeah you know what I mean. So the fire people came, I remember everything. They came and got me up, and all I kept telling was yok, yeah, put me down, so like a pete. Then we get into the ambulance and they're asking questions about my date of birth and and name and addressing all this stuff. So my friend at the time, Shakiri, she was giving all information. She said, he's thirty four. I'm like, no, I'm thirty five. Like I was that conscious, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I mean.
Speaker 5: And then next thing you know, I went to the hospital and they knocked me out and then went through my bring and cut the stroke on my brain and I was bad too.
Speaker 1: Wow, man, well, thank good as she was able to come and you weren't laying there any longer. It's while to think about the things that go through our heads during travesy. So I'm sure your friend seeing you was probably freaking out and realized how big a deal it was.
Speaker 2: With you being in it.
Speaker 1: Being this big strong man, you probably are just like, man, I'm fine, Like I'll be able to shake this off.
Speaker 4: So it was.
Speaker 5: But it was like a lot of people who have strokes, you could tell that they had a stroke, But with me, I would have to tell you I had the choking order for you to know I had a stroke.
Speaker 1: Well for sure, because even just talking to you right now, the way you're talking everything, she's very normal. Again, I have you know, family members who have dealt with strokes and they were never the same again the way it impacted them. Man, So again a huge blessing, thank you for sharing that cause I think, like, you know, that's something I know fans wondered. You know, when you hear news like that and you hear one of your favorite players go through something, they.
Speaker 5: So much of a deeper conversation. But I don't get really emotional about it because YO, like.
Speaker 2: Ah, it's okay, man, that's what this is about.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: You got to you gotta be able to get that stuff out because it's it's a traumatic thing you went through, man, and you know.
Speaker 4: To talk about that's hard. Bro.
Speaker 5: It's like, how do I go from being an NFL athlete a good dad to being a stroke patient?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: That's difficult, you know for sure, But I thank god I've been able to really recover and not really get into the slumps of really having a stroke, you know. But at the same time, it still had health issues to the like outside of the stroke. I had got not to put all my business on there, but I had got diagnosed with and just the part tell you so that on top of the stroke, it was like, what's going on?
Speaker 4: Like how I'm an NFL player, I'm going through all these self issues.
Speaker 5: I thought retirement was supposed to be fun, and since I retired, I've been sick, you know, so it's been rough. On top of that, you're trying to be a dad and then you have health issues. So it just in case everything. You know, it's like everything's hitting me like back to back back, you know, so that it's been rough in the roast couple of years.
Speaker 1: Chris Man, I appreciate you sharing that, and just just know, man, no matter what sicknesses you've been through, the things you're going through, those things don't change. You're still an NFL player, You're still an NFL legend, You're still beloved by everybody that rocks that burgundy and gold, and you're still a father. You're still loved by your kids, you're still loved by your family, and you're needed and appreciated by so many people. So hope you remember that, man, that even though you're going through these hard times and these ebbs and flows of life, just know it doesn't change the man that you are.
Speaker 2: And again you said it to start this because the.
Speaker 1: Reason you made it through because we could be talking about you and not with you, you know what I mean. So like the fact that we're even talking to you right now and you're able to have this testimony and you're able to cry and wipe the tears out your eyes, that alone is a blessing. And just remember, man, like it doesn't change who you are. You are still an NFL player, and that's why you know what I'm saying, You're You're able to have these conversations with you still gotta let them in jacket on, not because you bought it, because you earned it, you know what I mean. And nothing can change that, brother. So I just want you to know.
Speaker 4: That appreciate it, man, Appreciate it, yes, sir man. And so you know what thank you for about.
Speaker 5: Coming back home to Washington, Man, that's home for me. Man there I can't explain to other people. You just got to be there and be with me to understand the true love that the Washington fans get me into what I have for them.
Speaker 1: And that's why talking to y'all to a point where I've loved this season of Next Man Up is because I've gotten to really talk to the legends and sitting here for you guys and all y'all said the same things. Even though you're from Connecticut, all these other legends are from different places. This ends up becoming home, and it's because of the way the fan base loves you guys, and rides for y'all.
Speaker 2: Supports for y'all. So man, let's get into some football.
Speaker 1: Man, Let's start in the beginning, because you had an interesting journey before you got to the Burgundy and Gold. You you were on a couple teams and it didn't really work, it didn't actually see the field.
Speaker 2: But then you get to the Burgundy and Gold and you find a home.
Speaker 1: Talk to us about that part those first few years in the NFL when you're trying to figure it out and you know, make a name for yourself in this league.
Speaker 4: Well, I drafted free agent.
Speaker 5: So I always felt like that stacked up against me because I was looking at guys who were drafted in the first round, second round, third round getting all these chances. But I couldn't figure out, Yo, why am I not getting a chance. I know I'm better than them. If you put me on film, you put my film against their film.
Speaker 4: We're doing good. I'm doing just as good as them.
Speaker 5: But their first found and so they're gonna get a shot, but me, I never got a shot. So I was just a guy that always made the team. They never played me. So like my rookie year, I was an undrafted free agent and never I was on an active roster the whole roster the whole year, but I only played in one game and then I get released. The next year, I go to Miamia pretty much the same situation. I'm undrafted, I make the team on practice squad, did not make the team that I played on one game. Then the NFL lockout havings and I have shut And while I'm recovering from my surgery, I happened to be watching the preseason game and it's when Washington was playing Baltimore in the preseason and Jarvis Jenkins had just got hurt. So I called my agent, like, hey, Jarvis just hurt. Defensivelignment from Washington just got hurt. So he called Washington. I was there in the morning for a workout. When I worked out for the team in Washington. That was my first time working out on grass from when I had my first THOAP surgery. So I went there on a humbug, like Lord, just let me, make it through this workout, please, And I made it through the workout without my knee swelling or anything any complications, So it was great. I made the practice squad, but I knew for myself practice squad wasn't for me. I'm Chris Baker, I'm somebody I feel like I could make this roster. Just give me a chance, and I'm I'm gonna take it from there. So I was working every week just kicking those guy but in practice. And me, I didn't understand because I was a young guy who's never played through a season, so I didn't understand what your body actually go through as an NFL veteran. So as a young guy who hasn't played, I'm juiced up ready to kick ass in practice, and guys who played six, seven, eight years, they're like, bro chill out. I just played the game a couple of days ago, but I'm trying to play, so I didn't care. Like the only way I'm going to be able to feel like you or be able to play is that they's going to see me in practice. So I had to be a dog in practice. That's what people don't understand is the game is played in practice once you do it in practice, the game becomes second nature. But if you practice the right way, the game become easy. But you have to learn that as a professional.
Speaker 1: And when you're going through this time right because again you're undrafted, so there's nothing promised at all to somebody like you coming on to this here today, had gone tomorrow what they said nfls would not full on, especially for undrafted guys.
Speaker 5: Who came in for the week and then was out, then came back and then was going. It's like some guys been on six teams in one year, and it's like, bro how and I was always fortunate enough to get on the team and lock in.
Speaker 4: It's like they always kept me.
Speaker 5: I found a way to stick and then I finally get an opportunity. I'm in Shanahan his office every week, like coach, is my doing enough to get activated?
Speaker 4: And my doing enough for my doing enough?
Speaker 5: To the point where my defensive line coach at the time was Jacob Birdie. He said, Baker, leave shannonhan alone. He watches everything in practice. When she's ready to put you in, he's gonna put you in, but leave him alone because you're gonna piss him off. And when you getting his dog huss no getting out, you know what I mean. So I was like, all right, I'm not gonna say to him, leave him alone. Let my practice film speak for itself. So I can see to come to work every day working my butt off, and I finally get an opportunity. I guess there and I'm from Connecticut, so I have made a big Facebook post. I'm super happy. And then at the time, we didn't have a bubble. So when it rained, now he had X me, we'll go to the gym. So we go to the gym and Marcus White is over there doing windmills and three sixty dunkins. So I was a basketball player in my whole life, so I'm like, man, let me show them I can still jump. I go to try and jump. I tear my quad. This is the day after I got activated, so I'm I'm panicking. I'm an undrafted free agent. I finally got activated to the roster. I tear my quad the next day. But then I'm I'm nervous because technically hurt myself not playing football, but it was before practice technically, so I'm like, yo, they gonna cut me, and they're gonna not give me no money, Like, what's gonna happen. So some of the other guys are laughing because it was funny because I hurt myself jumping. But to me, I'm like, bro, shut the hell up.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 5: I hurt myself preparing for I didn't hurt myself trying to dunk a basketball. I was nervous, bro. But once I got hurt and I recovered that next year in camp, I never looked back. I was battling with with Chris Neil for the backup position for Barry Coolefield, but he wound up tend his acl But that year I finally got a shot to play, and nobody was taking my position from that point on.
Speaker 4: And that's what happened.
Speaker 2: To even get to that point.
Speaker 1: From everything you're talking about, you're dealing with, man, the mental fortitude it takes to just keep going, because there had to been times during that time when you were like, Man, should I just call it quick? Should I just not do this no more quick?
Speaker 5: Because outside of being in college, that was my first time not being the guy. I've been the guy my whole life until I went to Penn State. Now, the first time someone was able to dominate me I've been to dominate person my whole life, and so to get into the league where I feel like, yo, I'm nice, I could do this, and to not play, I'm like, bro, I'm not no scrub. How am I not playing? But then when every time I would get a shot to play, they were like, Yo, this kid bakery, that's pretty nice. So I'm like, well, keep me in the goddamn game.
Speaker 2: Was it hard not to quit on yourself during that time?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 4: Nah?
Speaker 5: I always believed in myself. I just knew I needed a shot, I said. I always to say, as soon as that let me play, I'll be okay. And every time they kept letting me play more and more and more, it was like, Yo, we got to leave this kid in there.
Speaker 1: Where does that belief and self come from? Especially such a young guy? Man, Where did that belief itself come from?
Speaker 5: I had a really good supportive team growing up, like my parents. They always yo, was there for me and supported me throughout my whole childhood and sports. Then they always, you know, just told me to believe in myself. And I grew up very confident. And where I'm from, it's either you're gonna be confident or you're gonna be in punk, So I wanted no punk. So I always you know how it was not to talk stuff and back my stuff up.
Speaker 1: So what was it about being in the Burgundy and Goal when you finally got here and you got settled?
Speaker 4: What about being here worked for Chris Baker?
Speaker 5: I finally got an opportunity and then I just had veterans that I could actually learn from. And once I got my shot, just took it and ringing. It was nothing. I didn't do anything different from where I was on other teams. I just finally got a chance to play consistently. And once I got a chance to play, they finally paid me. It was like, Yo, we're not gonna let this guy go.
Speaker 1: And then you get to spend years here man. Pretty much you whole career here with Washington. And when you look back on those days man and you're playing, and what are some of the memories that stick out to you the most, that are like your favorite when you think about playing for Washington.
Speaker 5: One is the fight with Philadelphia's You're gonna say that, I mean that hit kind of like if you didn't watch football, you didn't know anything about football, and you didn't know who Chris Baker was? After that hit, you knew who Chris Baker was because they've played that as the main story on ESPN for about a month straight. So even if you didn't know anything about football, you just watched sports in it, and I'm like, who is Chris Baker?
Speaker 4: What happened in that fight?
Speaker 5: I just got my my what do you call it when people notice it or whatever? My note writing became through the roof after that game, and then that season I happened to have one of my best seasons that I've ever had in the league.
Speaker 4: So it's just.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you need that. Sometimes you need that energy around you. For those of y'all that don't know what he's talking about. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was Nick Foles and you.
Speaker 4: Broke his jaw. Is that what happened? Huh? It?
Speaker 2: It was Nick Foles and you broke his jaws?
Speaker 4: That what happened. I didn't break his jaw.
Speaker 5: I just hit him hard, and then me and Jason Peters got the fighting and the whole team started fighting.
Speaker 1: Take us back there, man, tell us what went down from your perspective, from start to finish.
Speaker 2: Man, give us the story all right.
Speaker 5: So I felt like I almost got a sacked on that play. So I get up, I see Threelan has an interception. I see him returning the ball to me right, and then I see Nick Foles taking like three steps towards him. And from the time he ever started playing football, they always said get the closest man to you. So when I get off the ground, the closest man to me was Nick Fos. He was attempting to run as if he was about to tackle Brilliant. If Brilliant breaks through that tackle, the next person that tackled him is Nick Fos.
Speaker 4: Like he had to go you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: And like they always say, even backyard football, the thing is always keep your head on the swivel. He was lacking and I caught him lacky.
Speaker 2: Bet he learned after that.
Speaker 5: Yo, I said, said, from that point for it, I bet he never ran his ass to another interception. He probably say I hope somebody trip me.
Speaker 1: I think that was a message to all quarterbacks around the league. If you're gonna get involved.
Speaker 5: In and really, do you see them actually chasing, they gonna They're gonna look to the side and like, hey, I'll try next time.
Speaker 1: Now fans will ask and be like, why didn't the quarterback do more to get the tack on all that.
Speaker 2: That's the reason why, because it could be very dangerous.
Speaker 4: For you like me waiting for him. Come on, if you.
Speaker 1: Want to now that you're trying to back end, like now that you're done with you know, the NFL, have you had any conversations with folks from Philly about that moment at all?
Speaker 2: Have you been able to talk to anybody involved in that.
Speaker 5: Nothing more than trolling people on Instagram with Twitter? Well, I don't mind it, you know, but it's fun. But you know, Philly, those fans are freaking crazy. That makes you kind of want to act crazy like bro, I am a person on talking to me like I'm some little punk like bro.
Speaker 1: So then you have this career in Washington, but you also go through your trials and try relations. So I have to ask you, Chris, do you feel you were able to leave it all on the field or do you feel like you still have some more to give to the game Because you said it before your show you were even contemplating do I make a comeback?
Speaker 2: Where are you at now with that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I'm completely good with my career. I wish I could have done things better, or I wish I could have like had like that dominant person in my position and I could really learn from I never had like for instance, like when I went to like Tampa Bay, it was Gerald McCoy. Jero McClay was all pro. He'd probably be a Hall of Famer, but he had a hell of a work ethic something that I've never been able to see in my life for someone to like like, I've never seen someone work as hard as Gerald point in my life.
Speaker 4: And this is at the end of history.
Speaker 5: So I can only imagine if I had someone like that to look up to and model, I don't know how my career may have ended up. I was just good off natural. I worked hard. I worked hard enough to be in shape, but I didn't do more than than enough, you know what I mean. You look at players who are who are really on the cups of greatness or or is great depending on who you talk to. Yeah, great in his own way, Like I like Jerald McCoy, but he has a work ethic that has never seen in my life.
Speaker 4: But if I was able to.
Speaker 5: See that and was like, yo, this is Tom supposed to prepare for the upcoming season, and every single day my career could have been way different.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 5: I had a good career, but I could have had a great career if I actually worked the way I Hall of Famous work.
Speaker 4: If that makes sense, No, for sure, definitely does. Man.
Speaker 1: And when you think about those advices that you got for maybe a Jerald McCarey, other guys, or even while you were here, what is the advice that sticks out to you that you would share, Because if you look at our defensive line right now.
Speaker 4: A lot of young guys.
Speaker 1: We got a guy in Johnny Newton, very very young, dealt with some injuries early. Now starting to get that opportunity that you talked about, Man, what was that advice you would share to these young guys that you got during your time.
Speaker 4: Just enjoying a moment, cherish the moment and leave it all online.
Speaker 5: You don't know when your last snap is going to happen, when your last year is going to be it last year, So just lay it all online when you're done. Don't have any regrets that say I wish I could have I wish I did this down of a third. Just give it all you got because like the NFL stand for not for long, so you could be in there for two years, three years, it could be eight nine.
Speaker 4: Just never know. You just praying and hope for the best.
Speaker 1: And now you get to watch the Burgundy and Gold kind of rejuvenate this fan base, rejuvenate the city.
Speaker 2: You know, there's there's hope again. There's great things happening.
Speaker 1: Man, when you watch this team and what do you see on the field that makes you happy about the future of the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 5: I'm just happy we win and I get to talk stuff to my cowboy fans. But now I can't talk after this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to cut a pause for a little bit now.
Speaker 5: But I'm just happy I get to finally talk junk and could hold my can hold myself in a good conversation and say, hey, we nice. It feels good and we haven't really beden even say that since like the Kirk Cousins in r G three days. You know, but that energy is back in the city and it feels good. I can't really explain to people we had just like won the division and made it to the playoffs, and our whole state, our whole parking lot, after the game was packed with fans from Ashburn stay in the room. It was it was like, we just won the super Bowl and all we did was made it to the playoffs.
Speaker 4: So if we actually.
Speaker 5: Start winning, the the way that this uh, the way that Ashburn or Virginia, Maryland DC, the way they're gonna get behind this team is going to be crazy. I can't imagine, because like if we if we really start winning, I can only imagine how crazy it'll be. We made it to the playoffs. We just made it to the playoffs. We didn't win a game with nothing. We just made it. And that it was. It was like we walked. We just won the super Bowl. But that's what this town has been waiting for. Now it got the juice. So it's this is back.
Speaker 2: And that's a testment to this fan.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: That shows what this fan base is willing to do for their commanders. And you've been to a couple different teams, have you ever seen a fan base like what Washington has here?
Speaker 5: I think the teams that I've played for the closest thing that I would say would probably be the Denver Broncos. They have a really good fan base. But I wasn't there long enough to really like feel the love. But in Washington, I loved it, but I was there for a while to really feel the love. But Denver is a great football town. I love it out there, And.
Speaker 1: You mentioned earlier out in Connecticut, But you come back here a lot. What do you get when you come back out here, when you come back to Northwest Stadium, when you're around these fans, man, what is that reception like for you?
Speaker 5: Bro?
Speaker 4: I get in love, man, and I love it.
Speaker 5: Bro. I literally have started conversation with anybody just so they could talk football, because I just love being around people who love football and just to be accepted. No matter anywhere I go, everyone always has something great to say, and they're willing to take a picture. I'm willing to sign autographs. Like when I was younger, my role model was Marcus Campy and he was from Hertford. He used to always come around with his NBA friends. I remember being a little kid and asking him for an autograph, and he always signed whatever I wanted, gave us sneakers and everything. So I always told myself, you know, if I ever become famous or a famous NBA player or NFL player, if someone asks me for an autograph, I'm always going to give it to him, and I kept that promise for the most part. If you ask for a picture or autograph, I'm going to give it to you and I'm gonna have a conversation with you.
Speaker 4: That's just how I am.
Speaker 5: I like to love because you know, football has kind of been born since you stopped playing football. Son, Someone's actually interested in you and know who you are. Great, let's talk. Let's talk football all day.
Speaker 1: So Chris, man, now that you're you know you've gone through what you went through in twenty twenty three. Now you are here, man, tell us what you've been doing. What is Chris Baker up to these days?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 5: I'm just getting my life back together and just getting healthy one day at the time and really trying to get my focus back on my foundation because that's kind of my purpose.
Speaker 4: None of that football is over.
Speaker 5: I could really dive into my foundation and really help kids and this next generation become better than what I and what I've been, because my whole thing is how great could I have been if I had someone like me in my life? And now I make myself accessible to all the kids from my neighborhood from my high school. I want to have these talks with them, and I make myself available to them so they understand what I went through in college, how I made it as a pro, what it actually take to outside of football and workhoffs. I want to be a mentor to young men, and I feel like that's my purpose. So but my foundation. That's why I'm trying to really get my foundation back running so I could be purposeful to young men.
Speaker 2: What's the name of a foundation?
Speaker 4: Chris Baker ninety two Foundation, Chris.
Speaker 2: Baker ninety two Foundation.
Speaker 1: Commandags, Fans, y'all make sure y'all support and show love anyway Chris needs and Chris, how can fan and help and support you through this part of your journey?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 5: Just show up and support anytime I have some type of events or things like like, for instance, I'm going to get everything back organizing stuff, but I got to come down for Santina in any nine ways. I want to have my presence like that in DC and in Connecticut. But yeah, so once I start having my events, show some support. Go ahead, Swaggy about a million dollars in foundation money.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you mentioned that because That's why I wanted to end the interview. Man, I saw the nickname swaggy. Where does that come from?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: How did you get that nickname?
Speaker 5: Yo? I had a good friend name John Walker, and we happen to be playing PlayStation one night and we was wrapping having the freestyle battles. He kept saying swaggy, this swaggy that. It was so funny to me at the time. So I go to the locker room and I start saying I started calling myself swaggy, and next you know, a reporter I had a good game and appreciation and the gain, and the reporter said, the name of the article is like Chris Swaggy Baker, And from there it just stuck.
Speaker 2: That's hard, man, that's pretty tough.
Speaker 5: Man, Yo, I ain't gonna call you swagging and you ain't got no swag. I'm like, well, I got enough swag.
Speaker 2: I want to say that jacket tough. I'm seeing all the swagging with that jacket.
Speaker 5: I'm not a fashionable guy for the most part. You're gonna see me in a white tea in the chain. But that's what I like. I'm not really I don't get into all that fashionist so I like to be comfortable.
Speaker 2: When you got real swag, you don't got to do all the extras. Man. When you got real swag, you come as you are.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: So I appreciate that, Chris and Chris. Please, Man, when you do get.
Speaker 1: Your foundation up and you start doing things out here, Man, come back on the show.
Speaker 2: How at me?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: You have my information?
Speaker 4: Bro?
Speaker 1: Please any way that I can help, Please let me know, Man, because this has become my community as well. And I just love when you guys come back because I know what it means to this fan base, of what it means to just everybody to have you guys around. Chris, So thank you so much, Man, thank you for opening up with us.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad to talk to you.
Speaker 4: Brother.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you're healthy and doing good man. And again, just remember, Bro, no matter what you go through in this life, it doesn't change the things you have accomplished, all of the great things you do, all the people you've inspired already, and all the people that love and care about you.
Speaker 2: Chris Man, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 4: Brother, Thanks for having me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Sir, Commanders, family, this is our next man up. Washington legend, Chris Baker, Chris bro It's always good brother.
Speaker 2: The third Command is Family.
Speaker 1: We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Next Man Up. If you want to do something during your bye because you're missing the commanders so much, we got something for you. Check out the most recent episodes of Next Man Up. They're all in the Commander's YouTube page, or you can stream the audio wherever you get your podcast until next Friday. Command is Family. I'm Brian Cole Jr. And this is Next Man Up.