Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio and the George Washington Broadcast Center. Jack Armstrong Show, Katty Armstrong and Getty and Pee.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Yet Getty Strong And this is.
Speaker 3: The Armstrong and Getty Show featuring our podcast One More Thing, get it wherever you like to get podcasts.
Speaker 2: So back to the Katie, Katie the news Lady.
Speaker 4: We got a text with a couple of questions that I don't think we've ever asked you before.
Speaker 2: I'll just scream it this way.
Speaker 4: Katie Green is a great addition to Armstrong and Getty, a real pro. But I do have some questions. One, how many pushups can she do?
Speaker 3: What the hell you know?
Speaker 5: I don't I don't know.
Speaker 6: I know that I've done. I think it was twenty eight and thirty seconds. How recently, like two months ago? Okay, that's pretty rare. I think that number's probably gone out. Yeah, if it's fairly recently, that's okay. I've never I don't like people tell me how like? This always comes up with running.
Speaker 2: On thousand and six.
Speaker 4: This always comes up with running with me? And how long to take you to run the ten k or whatever?
Speaker 2: I used to run?
Speaker 4: A ten k and whatever. Yeah, how long ago was that? When's the last time you ran a ten k? And if you haven't done it in fifteen years, I don't freaking care. All right, what difference does it make? Do it now nineteen seventy eight? By the way, as long as you ask.
Speaker 3: Literally the last time you ran a ten k that might have been seventy nine.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna do one in the next year. That's what I'm building up too. I'm gonna run a ten k in the next year.
Speaker 6: I am one of those I need to get that zero point zero sticker for my car because I've.
Speaker 5: Never run a ten k and will never run a ten k.
Speaker 4: I've never seen that. That's hilarious. Zero point zero in the same font. Yeah, it's perfect, and it says I don't run.
Speaker 3: If a bear chases me for ten kilometers, I will do a ten k.
Speaker 4: There you go, turn to the bear and say how long are we going to do this? Because if it's going to be more than six point one miles, I might I.
Speaker 3: Might just lay down right, Why would I want you to eat me when I'm tired.
Speaker 4: And you're just just get this. No advantage to either one of us, cut to the chase, cut the chase to the catch. So you've done that many push ups fairly recently. That's a good chunk of push ups right there.
Speaker 3: I have not done a one since my back problem started last summer, So I think I need to start working my way back.
Speaker 2: I haven't even tried it.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm three out of the last five days, I think. So I'm on a bit of a role here eating an exercise. Have you ever been arrested? No, No, there there's a hesitation.
Speaker 5: No, there was a dumb situation when I was in.
Speaker 6: Middle school that it resulted in me getting in a lot of trouble momentarily before the truth came out.
Speaker 2: But you weren't arrested.
Speaker 5: No, I've never been arrested.
Speaker 4: So your hesitation wasn't Should I say this out loud on the air or not? Your hesitation was because I went through.
Speaker 6: The most of the everything other than getting booked. I went through the process up. Some kid ripped the Mercedes emblem off of the vice principal's car and stuck it in my backpack because I had come from a Christian school and he was all anti Jesus and God and all that.
Speaker 5: Wow, and then told and then told the school.
Speaker 6: And the best part was when the assistant principal came and got me from class and she pulls me out and she says, you know, I think you have something of mine and I'm like, oh no. She goes, you might be wearing it around your neck, because all the kids were like wearing the big fake car emblems around their chain. I remember, yeah, yeah, And so I pulled out the Catholic, you know, the Celtic cross that my mom had got me, and I'm like, I'm clueless. At this point, she opens my backpack and there was a Mercedes emblem in there.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: So this kid went and said, Katie Green stole the Mercedes emblem, said he.
Speaker 6: Saw me take it, and he did it to another girl that transferred to the school from the same school with me.
Speaker 5: So we both got pulled into the office and we're talking to the cops and.
Speaker 2: Well, and how long did it take you to straighten this out? Flavor, Flavor? How did you clear it? How did you clear yourself?
Speaker 6: It took about I think I was in the office for four and a half hours writing a statement and everything, and then the whole time I'm going my dad's a judge.
Speaker 3: Just call him.
Speaker 6: We'll clear this up, you know, because he was a judge at the time, and yeah, it took a lot.
Speaker 2: It was traumatic.
Speaker 4: Now, for some reason, this reminds me of one of my more embarrassing stories. Before we get there, Katie, what does it take to become a judge? Because Jack knows this, I've been saying for years I ought to be a judge.
Speaker 2: Do you know why? Because I'm so judgmental. Yeah, I didn't want to say it. I think I'd be really good at it.
Speaker 3: So did your dad get elected or was he an appointed judge?
Speaker 6: Or he was he was appointed by Duke Majon Oh okay, a governor of yesteryear.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay. Was he a TV judge? A TV judge on TV?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: He can give Judge Judy a run for money.
Speaker 3: Oh, I still want to be a TV judge anyway. Jack has an embarrassing story. I'm gladys I was in high school. I didn't believe I was a sophomore in the band. And this is embarrassing for odd reasons. So the trumpet section had decided that during this rest a rest. If you don't know, music is silence or you'd stop playing. But in this case, it was actually silence during the song.
Speaker 4: During the rest, all the trumpet players were gonna, I forget what if the noise was even pretend to burp or something like that. So it's like about about about about about a bout about about but everybody was going to do that, and then and and I didn't, but all the other trumpet players did. And the band teacher went back crazy, like band teachers do over anything. Yes, yes, because they ate, because they hate like they hate the fact that they're genius musicians usually and other teaching a bunch of teenagers who couldn't give a crap about music, and it makes them so angry that they drink and yell at children.
Speaker 2: This is when you sat them.
Speaker 4: Yes, he used to throw his keys at people, this whole city keys or the baton. He threw the baton at people, erasers, all kinds of stuff. But anyway, he got so mad at people burping during the rest, and he went one by one who did it?
Speaker 2: Who did that?
Speaker 4: And then everybody's just kind of sitting there and some people were smirking whatever, And he went one by one and looked them in the eye and put their finger right in their face. Did you make that sound during the rest and most of them, most of them fessed up and said yes, But it got to me and I said no because I didn't so I had.
Speaker 2: I was like.
Speaker 4: It was like a triple whammy of awful. I don't think the band teacher believed me. The other kids were like, what a puss because I didn't.
Speaker 2: And then I was I was feeling horrible for fever.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking I was lying and that my peers thought I was weak for not joining them in the completely meaningless hijinks.
Speaker 2: But that's kind of person I was. I didn't join in the hijinks.
Speaker 5: And here we are, all these years later, and it's still affecting me.
Speaker 4: It's still affecting me, not because it bothers me, because I didn't.
Speaker 2: I'd feel better if I had.
Speaker 3: Well, you may have been a trumpeter, but you've certainly earned the sad trombone.
Speaker 2: Wa wah. That's exactly that's exactly right.
Speaker 4: I didn't join in meaningless nobody gets hurt teenage hijinks because I was too straight laced?
Speaker 2: Isn't that incredible?
Speaker 4: And you still got yelled at for it? And I still got in trouble for it because he didn't believe me. I could tell he didn't believe me.
Speaker 2: So are there any more questions for Katie?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: I enjoying this. Have you ever been arrested? Uh? What's the biggest celebrity you've ever met?
Speaker 6: Ooh, I interviewed the cast of Jackass, So Johnny Knoxville and all those guys, okay, and Robin Williams.
Speaker 2: That's a big one. That's a really big one. He was really sweet at what point in his life.
Speaker 6: Later Actually this was in twenty.
Speaker 2: Eleven, so that's towards the end.
Speaker 4: Then.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was at I was at a comedy show and his daughter was performing and he was there to watch his daughter.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 4: It's a cool Bay Area guy. So yeah, easier to run into the purple onion. Do you get anything out of meeting celebrities at this point in your life?
Speaker 2: Not really? Yeah, I don't really.
Speaker 4: After you meet up ahead, everybody should get to have the experience of meeting enough celebrities to realize it ain't nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just it ain't nothing. Used to fairly awkward.
Speaker 6: Or like, I mean, you guys know, that's being in a position where some people might look at you as one and you're just right.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, exactly, not at all. Yeah, And that's the weird thing about celebrity. It's all in the other person's head. It doesn't actually exist as a thing. It's you can't measure it or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Right, right.
Speaker 3: And while I actually ninety eight percent of the time really enjoy meeting folks who say, hey, I recognize you, I just want to say I like the show. It's because people are very nice, and you often end up being really nice people who I enjoy chatting with the greatest experience or experience rather to illustrate what Jack's talking about is And this has happened many many times, will meet like a super avid listener who has a friend with them who doesn't listen, or has never heard of us, or was from a different part of the country or whatever. You had one person about to go to pieces and the other like, hey, how's it going. So as yes, people have observed, fame isn't something you have, it's something they have.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and don't still it's so anybody who aspires to fame, don't trust me when I say this. If you aspire to have a successful business. I consider our quote unquote fame just to be like an after effect of a successful business. But the idea that your self image will rise and fall based on the number of people who think you're cool or whatever. Now you don't don't get into that.
Speaker 1: The Armstrong and Getty Show, yeah, or jahn rghoe podcasts and our hot links.
Speaker 3: It's the Armstrong and Getdy Show featuring our podcast one more thing, download it, subscribe to it wherever you like to get podcasts.
Speaker 4: So here's the serious thing I was going to do, which feels weird now, but maybe I need transition music.
Speaker 2: In my mind. Have we ever used transmission transmission music?
Speaker 4: This is when you shift from second to third gear, transition music from silly too serious?
Speaker 2: Can we do that, Michael? Yeah, I think this will work. Actually both ways here, Okay, you know you're right.
Speaker 3: We used to have different silly to serious music than are serious to silly music.
Speaker 2: This is this does work. This is a song Sam's going to be dancing too.
Speaker 4: You're in the fifties when the twist was popular. Anybody can twist awesome when there were dances, the monkey to swim.
Speaker 2: Anything that you just like you knew what you're supposed to do with your hands, and it was crossy simple.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not doing a good job of transitioning to something serious.
Speaker 2: This Air Force pilot retired over the weekend who was involved in nine to eleven.
Speaker 4: And I had never heard this story, or I had and I forgot it because I can hide my own Easter eggs. Anyway, This Air Force F sixteen pilot retired over the weekend after forty years in the Air Force. He his job was to take out Flight ninety three, the last plane that was still in the air on nine to eleven. And I had never heard this story in completion. I knew that we had scrambled fighter jets and that that was a possibility.
Speaker 2: I didn't know this. He's sixty one years old now.
Speaker 4: He was in his late thirties at the time, and him and this other female pilot, Heather Penny, who was twenty six at the time, were ordered to go up. This is after you know, two planes that at the World Trade Center. One it hit the Pentagon and there was another plane in the air, and we figured it out and this had all occurred in like seconds, and this was all happening really really fast, and they were scrambled and told to go up and what was the actual phrase, stop it? Their orders were to locate flight ninety three and stop it. That's all they were told. So him and this other woman went up, and he was the guy in charge, and he went up because he didn't want to ask anybody else to do this, because he had an idea of how awful this would be.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 4: They decided him and this woman that if required, they would hit the hijack plane with their jets, making it a suicide mission. They were Yeah, he said that we couldn't figure out how to it first because our fighter jets were not armed with missiles. Oh, we did have any weapons. We were just we just went up and were told to stop that plane.
Speaker 2: Oh my lord. I so you hadn't heard this either.
Speaker 4: So he and this woman said they planned to ram the front of the jetliner and he was going to hit it from the front. She was going to hit it from the back at the same time, flying at you know, six hundred miles an hour, and that's what they were going to do. But right before they were already in the air and screaming toward the plane. Before it happened, they got word that the plane had gone down. Because we all know, the passengers took over the plane and it crashed into the ground and they all died. This guy, the woman was single and childless. But this dude's I should give his name. I haven't given his name yet, have I. He's a freaking hero, Mark Sassville. He had a wife and two young children, ages three and five.
Speaker 2: At the time.
Speaker 4: He said, it's a testament to those people that brought down that plane that changed my life's family forever.
Speaker 6: He was going to die, wife and two young kids, going Okay, this is what I have to do.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 4: He didn't even think about it at the time. He said, training just kicked in. It all happened so fast. They were given the order to take down the plane okay, and he talked to the woman, this is what we'll do. We'll fly into the plane, and it.
Speaker 2: Just all I'm sure it was happening very very fast. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, more toxic masculinity from him and her.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, that's that's incredible.
Speaker 3: How many people did those passengers on flight ninety three save. It's a number that'll never be known. Well, were the flight was believed to be headed for what the White House?
Speaker 2: That guy was going to say. They're not certain still on that yet.
Speaker 4: There were some beliefs that it was the White House, some that it was the capital.
Speaker 2: But either way it was going to be like the Capitol. Yeah, yeah, either way it was going to be bad.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it'd be interested to know if he called his wife prior to getting in that jet.
Speaker 2: Oh what you would say.
Speaker 4: From reading just this short description of there was no time for that. This was a this is what's happened. There's still a flight in the air, like a run to the plane, get in the air.
Speaker 2: And just go and go. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow, if you read the nine to eleven report, it was amazing how much confusion there was and trying to get planes in the air to defend DC or whatever. There's nobody even knew who to call to suddenly defend the homeland, and so enormous amounts of time elapsed before they got like a significant force up in the air.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Somehow, I just happened to see the video the other day of George Bush reading the reading to those kids, and the person came and whispered in his ear mister President were under attack. I understand why he did this how he did it because he was in shock himself.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: He says he didn't want to like freak out the kids. He should have stood up right there and just walked out. The kids will be fine. The whole America's the whole country is about to be freaked out. So yeah, waiting another however many minutes it was before he did anything. I don't know that was the best choice, but I can understand. Yeah, that's a lot to comprehend in a very you know, all of a sudden, sitting in front of the press.
Speaker 2: He was sitting there because I just for some reason.
Speaker 4: Oh, I was at some more recent interview where he talks about it, because now he is an old man. It's interesting to see the videos of him now he's an old man, and he was such a young man at the time. But he was talking about how he was looking at the back of the room and seeing all the press. They were all getting the alerts, so he knew they knew. And that's a lot to have ridle through your brain at one time.
Speaker 3: I actually know a couple of people who know w one a little bit, one very very well. He was in the press office for HW, and then knew W and his family too, and everybody who knows George W really really likes him.
Speaker 2: And this guy who worked for HW for.
Speaker 3: A number of years, he echoes the impression I'd always gotten. He said he's one of the most honorable and decent people he's ever known.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, lots of people say that, which is interesting.
Speaker 2: What happened.
Speaker 4: In terms of our choosing whether we choose our candidates, not the way we choose our candidates, and we don't have any requirements for.
Speaker 2: Decency or experience or really anything mental capacity coherence day, what do you do?
Speaker 1: Strong?
Speaker 3: It's the Armstrong and Giddy Show, featuring our podcast One more Thing. Download it, subscribe to it wherever you like to get podcasts.
Speaker 4: Conan O'Brien went to Harvard and was involved in National Lampoon there and then went on to write for.
Speaker 2: The Simpsons and Saturday Night Live and have his own show.
Speaker 4: And even with all that success, I think he's more successful now at age sixty, than he's ever been in his career. He just sold his podcast de Lei Out to Serious XM for one hundred and fifty million dollars and he's got millions of people that tune into his various works now, so good for him. Funny guy, creative guy. An interesting thing about his personality that I heard in an interview I want to bring up, but first, let's hear a clip of him on The Tonight Show last night with Jimmy Fallon, first time he'd been back to The Tonight Show since he got it taken away from him back in the day.
Speaker 7: This really nice young guy in a white shirt in a baseball cap starts chatting with me, and he's saying, you know, Conan and I love the podcast, and.
Speaker 2: I also I really love the old late night clips.
Speaker 7: I watch him all the time, and you know, I also really like the stuff you did with the Simpsons. And I'm like, he's so nice. Yeah, I'm saying, thank you so much. Then we both go through the TSA thing. He goes through. I go through. I collect all my stuff, you know, the way you're kind of distracted. I put my belt on, get my shoes back on. I turn around, see the guy white shirt hat, and I go, you know what, let's do selfie. Come on, come on to do a selfie. And the guy got okay, let's go your knucklehead, and I get him like in a headlog and he does a selfie and just as he's taking it, I look, my guy's over there. This is just a guy who's also wearing a white shirt in a baseball cap, which.
Speaker 2: Is pretty eff in common.
Speaker 7: So rewind that story now and see it from his point of view. He's waiting for his wife to come through. Connor O'Brien comes through.
Speaker 2: And he's like, hey, Sophie, get it. That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 7: And I told the guy, I feel so, but you can delete it, and he was looked like he was on the fence about deleting it. I felt terrible, but I love moments like that where I'm go right back down to whatever you think you've.
Speaker 2: Achieved in life.
Speaker 7: Merely here's a guy who thinks I met Connor O'Brian. He's just an insane a hole. That would be confusing.
Speaker 4: You're standing there, ConA Brian all of a sudden shows Upfie.
Speaker 2: What what?
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a great story, Oh Lord?
Speaker 2: And well told God.
Speaker 4: Conan O'Brien flying commercial and taking off his belt and shoes.
Speaker 2: I mean, when was that or does he still do that? Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wonder does he doesn't even do the TSA PreCheck. It's not that expensive, man.
Speaker 4: So one thing I did you So, Conan O'Brien's probably really closer to your era, Katie as being the big late night came in ours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, huge. I love him. I think he's hysterically funny. He is.
Speaker 4: He is a funny, funny guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I love watching his stuff where he goes out in the public and just messes with people. He's got a great series on YouTube where I think if you just type in Conan, he has his own channel and it's just all this stuff of him with like Kevin Hart having the intern drive and just.
Speaker 5: Completely screwing with her the whole time. It's just wonderful.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And uh, what another Conan thing is, Oh, I've heard Adam Sandler on a different podcast talking about how when Conan so, Conan was a writer there and a lot of those big stars from Sarah and Liver are there, and then when Conan got his own show, they were all so excited for him because they all liked him. And Adam Sandler and David Spadeen, Chris Farlin, all those people went over to somebody's house to watch his first show because they were all so excited that he was getting his big shot to be a big deal, and uh, I need it turned out to be a big deal.
Speaker 2: And like I've mentioned a few times, he.
Speaker 4: Just sold his podcast for one hundred and fifty million dollars.
Speaker 2: Too serious. After all his success, so good for him.
Speaker 4: But even with all that, he was on some buddy else's show and talking about how and I think this is true for a lot of people. How no matter what is happening to his life, he's still the same guy who was in high school. When in high school he was a very awkward, not very well liked, weirdo with not very many friends. And he said he's still that, he still sees himself that way. He's still always uncomfortable. He just he said he doesn't at this point, he's sixty years old. He doesn't expect anything will ever change that. So, no level of crowds, cheering money, success, anything has changed who he was in high school. And uh, even without the crowd's money and everything like that, I feel the same way too. So why why is who we were in high school baked into who we are for the rest of our lives.
Speaker 2: Whose cruel trick was that?
Speaker 3: I guess back when I would have been a cave boy, it just didn't matter.
Speaker 2: Life was so completely different for the.
Speaker 3: First ninety nine point nine nine nine nine nine percent of mankind's existence. It was, you know, all right, look, you're you're of breeding age, you're of fighting age. You're tracking down a mastadon and putting a spirit in a age. Let's get this done. When you're going to be dead by age twenty four most likely. Yeah, yeah, so it didn't matter. Yeah, you're searching for yourself at age forty eight as a caveman.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a rarity.
Speaker 3: I just don't know who I am.
Speaker 2: I've seen it work both ways too.
Speaker 4: I've known a few people that were big deals in high school and adult life has not worked out for them that well, but they still see themselves as the big deal, and it just kind of weird to be around, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, you don't I look that great for you, but okay, good for you. Well, I still got the nose in the air. Congrats looking good.
Speaker 6: But it makes it hard to feel bad for them, though, right, right, right, right, Yeah, I don't Yeah, I suppose.
Speaker 3: So I don't recall running into anybody who really answered to that description recently, but yeah, I don't know. I think I would pity them all the more. But again I haven't brushed up against them, so I don't know. But getting back to the whole caveman and things, so I guess, you know, typical if you're going to have like a midnight a midlife crisis, or you know, what am I doing? Why am I doing this? Is this how I want to spend the rest of my life? It'd be like at age seventeen as a caveman, right right, all of this eating meat and sitting around a fire.
Speaker 4: And as I wonder if that's the biggest problem, if that's the biggest problem modern humans have, is our brains and consciousness just was not designed to go past like hardly past age twenty breed, win a battle, die next.
Speaker 3: Right, right, Yeah, And I'd imagine if there were scientists fifty thousand years ago, if you were to say to them, what do you suppose happens to the brain.
Speaker 2: Around age eighty? They would say, what the hell are you talking about? Why do you care? Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Are you going to become disillusioned? With life at age forty five.
Speaker 2: Forty five? Who do you know is forty five?
Speaker 3: Says the caveman, Right, yeah, yeah, And if they are, so, what if you'll excuse me, there's a tiger chewing on my leg.
Speaker 4: But if you have imposter syndrome, I would say, if Conan O'Brien still has imposter syndrome.
Speaker 2: You ain't getting rid of yours either, no matter what you achieve. That's what I learned. Oh yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: I became aware that, well, I suppose I can go ahead and say it. My daughter, like so many of us, has a bit of that. And we are touring law school the other day and the two fabulous young women who were taking us around on the tour admitted to flaming imposters syndrome. And they're so sweet. They said, everybody has it. Everybody has it, don't worry about it. You can do this, You'll be fine. And it was great, and I think more people need to know that. I tried to teach my kids that you know that feeling your big successful dad has it every day every day. Don't worry about it. Fake it till you make it seriously. But it's hard to convince people. They think, Oh, you're just saying that to make me feel.
Speaker 2: Better, right. I remember an interview I saw with Paul Begala.
Speaker 4: He is one of the people that got Bill Clinton elected president, and he was talking about what was like to be at the White House and walk in there every single day, and he said, if you don't walk into the White House every day with imposter syndrome, there's something seriously wrong with you, because everybody feels like I can't believe I'm here.
Speaker 3: Why am I here? Of all people? Me right right? I am not good enough for this. I am not important enough for this. I see the ghost of you know, Thomas Jefferson standing there in the corner.
Speaker 2: Hi, Tom, did you see the game last night?
Speaker 4: So I bet again kind of getting to the other side of it. I feel like I have known some people who don't seem like they've ever had any self doubt one second in their lives.
Speaker 2: And are they just pulling.
Speaker 4: It off really well or are they actually not ever have any self doubt?
Speaker 2: I think those people.
Speaker 3: Probably exist, Katie, your opinion, I just think don't think there are many.
Speaker 6: I feel like, if you hmm, I feel like they're probably just hiding it. Well, it's like a natural, a natural thing for someone to feel.
Speaker 2: I think I.
Speaker 3: Would guess eighty percent of the people you perceive are that way are faking it, and maybe twenty percent of those people actually have whatever genetic gift it is to be, you know, super comfortable and.
Speaker 2: No impostor syndrome.
Speaker 3: I you know, I didn't really have it until I became an adult, and I get I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know either, But it's partially because I hadn't achieved anything. So what would I be an impostor about? I was just gonna say.
Speaker 3: As I kept running into things that were increasingly difficult, I would think, oh boy, I could I could really fail at this? Does anybody around here realize I could come completely fail at this?
Speaker 4: I still Katie because I wear a suit to work most days. I still like walking down the street in a suit. Feel like people could look at me and say, what was that guy to wearing a suit for? He's not a suit guy?
Speaker 2: Who are trying to kids?
Speaker 5: Going about you?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 4: Just because she could tell by looking at me that's not a guy who wears a suit kind of act?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 2: Hey? You think he borrowed that suit or s or someone. Let's try to impress.
Speaker 3: Look at the dip in the suit trying the kid right exactly, That's what I think.
Speaker 1: Oh, Jack Armstrong and Joe Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 3: It's the Armstrong and Getdy Show featuring our podcast.
Speaker 2: One more thing.
Speaker 3: Download it, subscribe to it wherever you like to get podcasts.
Speaker 4: But I mentioned the David Copperfield show that we went to the magician and how he was working too sexy for a show with lots of kids. There lots of kids younger than my kids. Of course the younger kids didn't get some of the jokes. But like he asked a dad, stand up, sir, see here, you're your wife and your kids. When's the last time you and your wife had sex in front of their kids?
Speaker 2: Wait? What? Okay?
Speaker 4: And the last time you had this? So seven days ago? He writes down the number seven for the trick, and last time he had sex. How long did the session last? And Dad says twenty minutes. But I'm not answering that question in front of my kids. It's weird.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna start calling sex the session from now on, and.
Speaker 3: He sam for a session honey, that's a fantastic session. Maybe the rich old bastard just figures I got one act. I'm not changing it for these bunch of rugrats.
Speaker 2: I actually told my kids that it was a thing with aging.
Speaker 4: Sometimes when people get old, they just kind of lose track of what's appropriate and what's not.
Speaker 2: Because that's true, right, and I think he might be there.
Speaker 3: You'd think some of the world's most famous performers would have figured that out by now, or had people.
Speaker 4: He's hell, he's hell old. The thing that made me laugh the hardest. And I couldn't say this on the show. It's inappropriate, and I know some of you don't like this language. But so part of the deal he was he made this. It's a long drawn out story, but he's got this little Yoda baby Yoda type character or whatever, and trying to get him home. Anyway, all of a sudden, we're all staring at the ceiling, and all of a sudden, a spaceship appears and it's floating around.
Speaker 2: He said, look at that a spaceship. That made me laugh really.
Speaker 4: Oh but anyway, so the other thing we did was we went to the sphere, and that's the great, big Giant Ball if you haven't heard anything about it. It got a lot of attention when it first opened because you two played there. But it's not just a concert venue. In fact, I don't think it's primarily going to be a concert venue. I think it's mostly going to be like movies and stuff like that. And so we watched this movie about Planet Earth and the Big Bang, and it was an opportunity to show you oceans and mountains and deserts, and I did get a little bit carsick motion sickness because you're floating around all this stuff and it's so giant.
Speaker 2: It's I forget how many k it was, eighteen K screen.
Speaker 3: Boy, and yeah, no way, I'm going to this eighteen K screen that the vertigo of sitting like at the top of vertical stands.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like walking up a mountain in one hundred and seventy thousand speakers and it's really.
Speaker 2: Remove it all. Yes, so that's cool.
Speaker 4: So when the elephants come stomping through the base is like unlike anything you've ever heard before, I mean even a great concert.
Speaker 2: The base is just stunning.
Speaker 4: And then the seats move too, so you get a full like the elephants are stomping through. It's loud and you're kind of bouncing around. It sort of sounds like sensory overload. Yeah yeah, And I got a kid with sensory issues, so he was actually holding my hand the whole show.
Speaker 3: Yes, Joe, did the those woofers? Did they hit the brown note? The brown note is a note that all bassists know about, and that is a particular note if your amp is set up just right, that can cause people to poop themselves.
Speaker 4: But the other thing they had at the Sphere, and I was thinking about this because there is an article in the Wall Street Journal.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about this on the Radiation game.
Speaker 3: Stop giggling. Look, Katie, the audience is not responding. They're a bad audience. You know what, You as the bass player, you're in charge of punishing them.
Speaker 5: I just from you, I expect more, Joe.
Speaker 3: See, That's that's what's so delightful about me. You know, it'll be so many colors, so many different.
Speaker 4: Levels of humor before I move on to the AI thing. Back to the Sphere show. So I'm sitting there and and I was trying to decide how I'm going to talk about this. So I don't get myself in trouble with various groups. I'm not going to mention the group, but it became clear to me that culturally, and this is another country because they don't speak English, culturally, some people just talk through shows.
Speaker 2: Because they were all from a.
Speaker 4: Certain area of the world, and they just talked through the entire show, and I was giving them the look, but they were just so engrossed and out loud like regular voice, not even whispering like regular voice conversation, that I thought, this is clearly a cultural thing. This isn't a wow, This isn't a couple of rude people who need to be reminded to be quiet. They come from a part of the world where you just talk through shows. I guess so in these parts of the world that I won't mention because I don't want to get in trouble. If you go to a movie theater, is everybody just sitting there talking out loud through the whole movie, because.
Speaker 3: That's why it was happening to you think he's gonna kiss her.
Speaker 2: I keep expecting her to kiss her. I don't know.
Speaker 6: Good on you for figures, you know, having that thought process prior to telling him to shut the hell up.
Speaker 4: Well, they wouldn't have understood me because they clearly didn't speak English. But yeah, a couple young couple sitting beside me, and then a couple of older people behind me, all from similar part of the world, and.
Speaker 5: They just talked fully out loud the whole.
Speaker 4: Show, even like super quiet parts, dramatic parts and everything like that, just sol blah.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah blah blah blah. Weird.
Speaker 4: I guess that's just a cultural thing. In the United States, we were quiet during shows.
Speaker 3: Some might say respectful of other people's experience. You know, I totally get why you did what you did. It sounds super cool. You got kids, they need to have experiences and see the world. Blah blah blah. May have been exactly when you were there doing that. Judy and I were walking through the woods taking pictures of birds, and I am so happy that that's what I was doing.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was spectacle at all.
Speaker 4: I was actually thinking watching this thing at the sphere. I'm not sure while why anybody would ever need to go anywhere or do anything. Ever again, if this becomes normal, it was the the clarity of the eighteen K screen the sound and all encompassing. I don't know why I would need to walk inside one of those great big cathedrals in Europe. I had the full I've been to one, so I don't have smell o vision yet. This is the first time I've ever had the awe feeling that you get from doing things in person from a screen, and I thought, I think they finally replicated the in person experience for seeing a sunset being on the ocean.
Speaker 2: What interesting now?
Speaker 3: You are are famously hard of smelling, heard of tasting.
Speaker 2: You don't taste things normally, okay.
Speaker 3: Which I think has to do with zerol factory center in your brain or something like that.
Speaker 2: I disagree.
Speaker 3: You've got to have the smell, you've got to have the humidity, You've got to have the feeling of the air in a place interesting to really experience it. Anyway, So I read the lustiness of an old church, even the musty, Yes, the smell of the hymnals Thanks get pretty musty after a session. Am I talking in this voice?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm going to ignore that attempted humor.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joe Gatty, the Armstrong and Daddy Joe