Speaker 1: Hey, this is Kyle Stowers and you're listening to Fish on First.
Speaker 2: Welcome Fish on First. Live on the Fish on First podcast presented by jet Ski Rentals of South Florida. We're part of the Foul Territory Network and I am Eli Susman here on this Marlins off a founder of fof We have a lot of ideas just talking about before the stream, a whole lot of good movies out recently that we've been thinking about reviewing a lot of classic Marlins games that I've been familiarizing myself with, just because this current team has not been providing the type of compelling and inspiring material that Marlins fans kind of need. Right now, we're talking in the midst of a nine game Marlins a losing street. It's one of the longest losing streets in franchise history, and yet I still have a smile on my face as I usually do. Joined by Isaaca Zoo, Jeremiah Geiger, Nate Krsmer, Sean Millrick here on this off day. Appreciate everybody that's joining us live on either YouTube or Twitter. But you could get these pods, of course on our podcast channel wherever you listen to our pod, and I think we'll have Kevin potentially checking in from the airport. He provided live coverage. We invested in live coverage of this series against the Astros, where the Marlins got stuckt for the third consecutive series. Yeah, a lot to get to. I'm not gonna go too long on this at this particular juncture, but I think, well, in the absence of Kevin, we also had Sean Millrick on hand for what at least one of the games in Houston, So I think we're to dive right into that. Sean, as somebody you are Texas corresponded and this is what qualifies as a home game for you sort of just Yeah, your takeaways from from being there for these three games against Houston as the Marlins lose their seventh, their eighth, and then their ninth consecutive games and continue to tumble perilously close to the five hundred mark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was there on Monday night from that uh eight to five defeat that seems quite closer than it was. That was just really a shellacking all the way through, pretty much pretty much all the way downhill from the moment that uh the game started. Highlight was definitely Tyler Phillips signing a ball from my fivroute, you know, made made her day. That was great. As far as the Marlins on the field though, just you know, not what I was hoping to see. A couple of home runs there were great from Mac and Hicks, but that you'red and Alphareez guy, he's pretty good at hitting home runs too, And that seemed to be the story of that of that series. Sorry, I was happy to check off another ballpark. Was pretty ugly baseball from the Marlins throughout just strikeouts kept getting wrapped up on the scoreboard. I want to say they had at least fifteen strikeouts on Monday night. Just got really sick of seeing that astronaut emoji they kept going up on the JumboTron. Kevin could back me up on that one. My little astronaut waves the flag every time the Marlins struck out, and that astronaut must have been exhausted by the end of this series.
Speaker 2: He touched on it. And there have been some shortcomings in terms of basic fundamentals of this Marlins team doing some of the things that have made them such a consistent winning team for a lot of the previous month and a half, but Isaac, overall, like something that really jumps out to me. During this entire losing streak, the margin of margin of defeat, I should say, hasn't been more than three runs in any single game. There some that I guess have been a little bit more upside than the score indicates, but that's that's for me. Where like children to grasp what exactly to make of this, because even though it is one of a two week losing streak, believe it or not, like there's only in terms of run differential. In terms of like the overall numbers during the streak, they're not particularly grizzly, So like, how much has your understanding of this team's ability actually changed during the streak given the fact that for a lot of these games they are relatively close, especially in that like serious finality.
Speaker 4: It's funny because when they were doing really, really well, I said to myself that this is just completely reshaping what I thought I knew about baseball what a good team had to look like, and so here they don't look like a bad team. And put out a tweet that says, hey, they're not this bad either, but they're probably not as good as what they showed in June or somewhere in the middle, So I don't I'm not panicking, but the fact that these two run games feel like such lopsided affairs, it reminds you of that twenty thirteen season when they could not buy a run and any time they were down by one immediately it felt like it was insurmountable. So that's what it sort of reminds me of a little bit. I think they have really gotten unlucky with the injuries.
Speaker 5: I think it'd be.
Speaker 4: Unfair not to share what's happened to the bullpen, and the fact the Fairbanks is closing game is a direct result of those injuries. To Bender acting this who had apparently a set back today Triple A John King unavailable and then you're starting You're also are starting picture going on the.
Speaker 5: Ail as well. So I think with a little more luck about every team goes through injuries, but actually with a little more luck on that front, I think you don't see this sort of catastrophe. So I still think they're a good team.
Speaker 4: I still think they're a playoff contending team, but unfortunately this nine game losing streak has just set them back, along with the rest of the National League mid teams that now there's six teams vying for that one spot, and all that momentum is completely eliminated, and it's certainly going to change the direction or at least a strategy that the Marlins take at the deadline.
Speaker 5: In what ten.
Speaker 2: Days m HM, as usual, we need to take a quick peek at where the wild card standings are here in early Thursday evenings. There's a game going on right now between the teams in this picture, the d Backs and the Cardinals. Don't have the result of that. As bad as things look, the Marlins just game and a half down from that final wild card spot, but it's a big jumble of teams all of a sudden. Now they're almost as close to I mean, they're they're tied with this Nationals team, and the fact that even like the Cincinnati Reds, a team that felt like an obvious buyer just a few days ago, there's only a four game gap between them right now and the Marlins. But you see the overall numbers, like there have been years where there's been like that big disparity between the Marlins run differential and their record. This year it's bang even like they're plus eleven overall on run differential just one game over five hundred. Those are almost perfectly lined, where like the overall numbers would tell you that they're just a slightly above average team. I want to go to I'll go to Jeremiah here. I don't think we I think we haven't just part of the show.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of a similar question to you, where like the fact that the overall numbers say that this is a slightly better than average team. Is that where you're at right now? Or are you just focus on like the most recent trend does Does that tell you that there's more gaping holes than are they closer to that overall record? Or is it more so that are you ready to panic just given how well how poorly things have gone over these last couple weeks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm strangely calm even through this losing streak because I know, like Isaac alluded to earlier, this team isn't this bad, and the losing streak will end, and there's ebbs and flows to seasons.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's just how it is.
Speaker 6: Like Boston just went fifteen straight and they were left for dead. Doesn't make them buyers at the deadline all of a sudden, like these things happen, it's just the timing of it is very poor, and that's that's the issue. I mean, this team was at nine to ten games under five hundred earlier in the year.
Speaker 1: They found the way to bounce back. They were left for dead.
Speaker 6: I mean, I for all intents and purposes, had no inclination that this was going to be a contending team in early May, in mid May even, and then they went on that really good run in the month of June and we started all believing again. And now there's a lot of people with negativity, and it's understandable because they're losing games.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is three sweeps in a row, but I think it.
Speaker 6: You know, the phrase put up or shut up is thrown out there all the time, and you know, must win baseball is thrown out there all the time. But I would be hard pressed to find another example of a team that needs to win now, otherwise they.
Speaker 1: Will start selling at the deadline.
Speaker 6: I mean, they're gonna fall out of contention if this losing streak continues.
Speaker 1: You have three series left.
Speaker 6: The Padres, who aren't a good team, the Phillies, obviously division rivals, Contenders and then the Mets in New York.
Speaker 1: So you gotta get back on track.
Speaker 6: You have to win at least two of these series, in my opinion, And you know what, we know now ten days until the deadline. It's kind of like, well, is this team going to buy? I don't know, because they need help. That's most obvious to me is that this team is running on fumes and they need outside help in the worst way if they want to contend this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you touched on something that I think is very true. How there are essentially two separate playoff races for a team like the Marlins. There's the one that goes between now and the deadline, because they got to win a certain number of games in order to actually justify giving up future talents and minor leaguers to make improvements so be a buyer. They actually have to reach that deadline within not just striking distance, but feel like they have a reasonable chance of getting in. And then that's then that actual real postseason race begins, because assuming that they are in a position in a best case scenario to actually make outside acquisitions and justify that, then they actually have to put it together and win those games. But they have to that first race comes first, and that's there is really those different segments where they're now in this position, like Hope. Usually we thought, potentially the Marlins were going to be in a very favorable position where it's a lot more simple than that, because when you're ten games over five hundred or even seven over going to the break, like you just hold water right there and like the decisions already made at that point. But now that they're in they're in purgatory. They really are where they're in a position where they have to play a little bit better moving forward than they have so far, otherwise they're not going to make it. And all of a sudden, it's getting harder and harder to see that scenario where their current pieces are going to elevate their performance moving forward based on what they've currently done. Yeah, I've talked about this quite a bit in Nate, so I'll and it to somebody else on this topic of there have been some games played today in the Marlins organization, just not the major league level, and that includes Braxic and Garrett making a star for TRIPA A Jacksonville. There's some speculation that finally he would get an opportunity to redeem himself after being like a superstar down in the internet in the league in the past couple of months. The Marlins didn't bite on that. He made his scheduled serve for Jacksonville today. He was awful. This is probably his very worst outing at the Triple A level all year long. Lot seven runs, didn't get out of the third ending. Just went your take on the fact that the Marlins haven't gone to him at any point during these past couple of months where rotation depth had been such a big question mark, and right now in particular with Max Meyer going down, with Jansen Junk really struggling, with Tyler Philips being really uneven. Just your thoughts on the fact that they didn't think that they clearly don't think that Braxton is part of the solution here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm not really too surprised, especially what we saw in the spring. I feel like Bratson had a pretty good spring is his fastball from what we were hearing and what we saw in his limited action that he was getting up there I think around ninety five with that year, which he really hasn't been known for in the past, and the fact that they didn't go with him on the open DA roster and then let him star on Triple A and then he finally got his chance and we all know what happened in Minnesota and the following day Man's the Braves had no command. So I think it was in a it's something ex straordinary for Bratston, which is what he was doing. But I think this is almost the nail on the coffin for this guy. Seven are in runs over what two and two thirds whatever it was today. It's unfortunate, especially with what the Marlins are gonna be forced to do with match going down. Our guy Colin comments a gusto start with a Fulton pityback, and I I really don't know what to say much about that, because I mean, the way this thing's going right now, if you go to that, it's it's not going to look up from there either. So it is tough that they've been They've been put in the situation like guys that've said, I mean, injury has just been killing these guys recently, and it's a shame. And I just one more thing on the streak. When your top three hitters that have been carrying this lineup or at least two of them for most of the year, Auto, Lopez and Ats and then Stours. I mean in that order, Auto's got four to eleven, ATS has got three eighty seven, and Stars is a three forty six ops over this ten game or nine game straps. So if if your guys are gonna be if your guys are gonna play like that when you eat the most and you have a lot of i mean mostly platoon guys in this line up, if we're calling it what it really is, you're not gonna win a lot of ball games.
Speaker 5: And it's a shame.
Speaker 7: But I mean the twe like we all know, they came out of the break cold, and then after they acquired David Robertson throwing wild pitches against Washington, they went cold again in Audust September. So a lot of time left in the season.
Speaker 5: But some us when bal games did some teams they should be beating.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's definitely a multifaceted problem here With regarding the Braxton, I did ask about this because it was peculiar that one he hadn't been given a chance already, and two like it was pretty much well thought that hey, he'd be starting tomorrow. But what I understand. They do like Ryan Gusto a lot more than they'd like Braxton Garrett. They like Bradley Blaylock a lot more than they'd like Braxton Garrett. I think Brandon White is also someone that you could keep an eye on as someone who may see sometime. And I know what's unfortunate. There are few guys in.
Speaker 5: The history of the Marls organizations are better humans in Braxton. But they're just fear.
Speaker 4: They're just they don't think that he has a command, that he did what he showed in those two Major League starts earlier in the year. They fear that it was gonna happen again, and they're trying to keep his value high in case he wanted to use him as a trade ship. But like Eli was saying in the chat, you're not going to have him gained much value by dominating Triple A. As old as he is, so I believe he's exactly my age at twenty eight years old. So I'm not sure, like you said, nail in the coffin for Broxs, Unfortunately, you might see some other guys. I believe Bradley, but like is and you get an opportunity at some point this year and then that's not gonna excite many guys.
Speaker 5: But I think we started looking.
Speaker 4: I think you got to start looking at alternative names, alternative names, because that's what I was hearing, that those they're gonna get shot chances before Brax.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, at least they have conviction in it, clearly, because there have been several opportunities now over these past couple of months where it seems so obvious to give him a shot, to see what you had, and you kind of, you know, you said what I had already been thinking. It's just that there's there's no trade value to Braxi if he's only pitching at the Triple A level, if he's only pitched essentially hadn't done anything in the major since more than two calendar years ago in twenty twenty four. Like the other teams, not going to give up anything. He's not an asset and the only way is to figure out what you have at the big league leuble. But yeah, I mean, it's at least they have conviction in it, even though I disagree, even though you feel bad for the player himself that he has worked his way back and that like the results prior to today were just spoke volumes about they said all they could possibly say about getting the opportunity, and as you mentioned some of the other names that are down there, we haven't seen Bradley Blaylock yet. It's been a very up and down season for him in Jacksonville, with overall numbers kind of pale in comparison to BRACS. But on his best days there is more swing and miss there. And it's a guy that is several years younger than brax Is as well. It's just uh, yeah, it's just yeah. The overall does it feels light down there? Doesn't feel like there's not an obvious night in training armor down there, especially with Thomas White being hurt, with Carson Milburant not translating to the triple A level the way that they may have envisioned a month ago. So he's not really a realistic reinforcement at this point. But yet somewhat, they still have not gone outside the organization yet in order to address that, even though they have that need right now. So I want to talk more about the rotation, of course, and a lot more other reallyated topics to get to on the other side of the break. First, we're going to hear from our friends at mac Weldon.
Speaker 8: If you're watching us, you already know we're wearing mack Weldon right now as we talk about a great brand that makes things so comfortable and easy to wear. But if you're listening to the show, let me tell you a little bit more about mack Weldon with my friend Eric Kratz.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's comfortable, it's light. It's summertime right now. For me though, they cater to what I need tall clothes. Normally, when I buy tall clothes it's like something that's cumbersome and boxy. It still fits incredibly well, super light, perfect for the summertime. They got me all covered.
Speaker 8: Comfortable performance material can be yours. Mack Weldon is the spot. Don't sweat the heat this summer. Feel as effortlessly cool as you look. With mack Weldon. Go to mack weldon dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred and twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul. That's m A c k W E L d O N dot com code fo u L.
Speaker 2: And we touched on it briefly that Josh Ackness was supposed to start a rehab assignment. Was it today or yesterday? There was some sort of setback. I believe that Isaac alludes you on that, which is a bummer. That's a guy that has relatively high upside out of the pen. I wanted to briefly just we touched on it about the quite a bit of injuries that are impacting this team. I'd say now more than at any other point of the season is one. His injuries have kind of crescendoed in a way that actually makes a pretty significant difference in terms of who the Marlins have available. With Anthony Bender on the il and out for a little while, William Kempnor not really any timeline to return. John King is mostly relatively close to coming back that would help out the bullpen, of course, and Owen Casey as well should be relatively close to coming back from his calf injury. But yeah, then the others are still a little while away coming back. So that's kind of the team that you're looking at in terms of who's healthy, who's available. There are some healthy options down in Triple As to consider calling up. I think on a recent stream Kevin and I went over it was on filter that Kevin and I talked about some of the healthy position players they have down there. Connor Norby has had a couple of big games recently with Jacksonville. He's hitting well, he has defensive versatility, even though he's not particularly good at any of those positions. Yeah, he is, I don't, I guess he's positionless, but he's open minded about playing different spots. That's, you know, one direction that could go to help out the offense. Because we spent a lot of time talking about really the pitching on this show so far. But yeah, when it comes to Jacksonville, it's it's kind of slim pickings in terms of guys that you think could meaningfully make this team better right now. Yeah, it's a tough spot that they are in at the current moment. When it comes to that, you just mentioned Brandon White. I guess he's a guy that I'm kind of curious about it. He's not on the forty man roster, but he's had a nice, you can say, a breakout year down there, mainly when he was with Pensacola, but there's also been some dominant outings since he's been at a Triple. A six foot eight right hander who's throwing a whole lot harder this year than he ever has before. So that's a guy that could help in a couple of different roles. It's just a quite a roll of the dice because it's a guy that has obviously doesn't have any big league experience, who's totally off the prospect radar entering the year. I don't know, let's expect and yeah, Josh White not having quite the same year he had in twenty twenty five. So even though I don't see him get an opportunity, I don't think there's a whole lot of confidence about him moving the needle too much. Even though there should be a spot for him at some point as the rest of the summer goes on, I can't say that I'm super likely confident in it. Sean, I wanted to pull up this fun visual about how dramatically things have changed during this losing from in terms of the Fangrass playoff odds that were looking at they peaked about two weeks ago. It was fifty to fifty. I remember when it was approximately fifty to fifty shot when they were nine ten games over five hundred. I put it a poll on the FLF Twitter account. I said that Fangrass thinks it's a coin flip. What do you think are Marlin's more likely or not to make the playoffs? And it was like ninety something percent of fans in that moment felt like that was the case. And now we looked at the standings before you know, they're still right there in the standings, but the odds have plummeted from fifty one and a half percent to fourteen and a half percent as we enter recording right now, it's basically like how fitting it is. It's pretty much where they were in early April, back in a scenario where you know you can see them getting it done, but at least in this interpretation of the talent they have available, it's it's way down there. So just yeah, just in your vantage point, what does it does it feel like when it comes to the likelihood of them turning it around you does it feel like they've kind of squandered all those games in the last three months or do you still feel like there's a path back to being where they were just a couple of weeks ago, when it felt like they were where it really was something that could go either way.
Speaker 3: I mean it it definitely does feel like to me like they've squandered it. But the thing I also would have said the same thing and about the second or you know, on second week of April and looking back after that, my you know five and one start after that rock rockies in white sox cushion, you know, to start the year. So I guess, you know, there's that they've they've blown a they've blown a cushion before they could you get it back. That's such a closely packed race understandings. But yeah, I mean, I guess, I'm I guess, I'm I'm leaning out. I'm just hoping that they keep it competitive, you know, keep it interesting. That most of the good feelings that we had about you know, this roster are still there. As we touched on earlier. These have been close games. But but yeah, I think, uh, they've definitely have blown any advantage they gained for themselves. So now it really is just a tassa.
Speaker 2: One thing I wanted to get to. We'll can hear from Nate on this that the Marlins made somewhat of an I think he had an overdue move just yesterday that went under the riddar. I kind of picked it out where I noticed that Marcy wasn't in the starting lineup against Alrighty. That was the first time all year long that the Marlins had faced Alrighty and not automatically put Jacob Marci in there. He's been practically an everyday player. I think a lot of reasonable people thought he could be the best player on this entire team heading into this season, just given what he'd shown as a rookie last year. And now we're at a point where he's a part time player. Him and his story Ruiz that looks like are going to be relatively even split of reps in centerfield moving forward. What do you think about the timing of that, because the numbers are they've been basically the same all year long. He's been floating right around the Mendoz line, right around at six hundred ops all year long. What do you think about them finally making a subtle but important distinction between him being like basically an everyday guy now realizing that, yeah, he's slowly his role is being reduced until he proves otherwise.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you want to say it's subdue, But at the same time, when you have a rookie campaign like Jacob Marcy didn't how much, how valuable he is in center field defensively, and his value on the base pass when he does it.
Speaker 5: On base it's harmentitate.
Speaker 7: To die like that out And if you told me that, you know, in spring training that him and Asteria Reeds woud be splitting time with each other come July, I would have called you insane. But that's just the reality of the situation. It is just super unfortunate. Man, Like you said, he lied, I mean the entire season. I feel like it's been the same thing. He had that one little blip in Tampa, but then I watched those hits back last week and there was a lot of bloopers, a lot of weak contact that got down. So if you look at it from a whole season standpoint, I believe Kevin said in our chat yesterday, like minimum four hundred at that Jacob Marcy has been the worst hitter in the league, and on multitude of stats, it's extremely disappointing, and you look at it's thank god they have a guy like cam Canarella down there, a who's been starring at his first home yesterday, that might bail the Marlins out here. But it's just brutal this guy was supposed to, like you said, potentially be the best player on this team, and unfortunately he's been he's been weighing them down.
Speaker 5: There's no other way to put it.
Speaker 7: It's it's I think there's another word to explain this entire entire situation except unfortunate. Yeah, man, this is tough. So hopefully he'll be able to bounce back, at least mentally, because he's I mean this.
Speaker 5: Mentally.
Speaker 7: I feel like for a guy like him that had such an easy transition, appeared like to the major league level last year and then just come out and pretty much flopped for the past four or five months as stated told in his mind. So maybe just resetting a little bit and tetting off his feet, not playing every day, especially against Rady's and my team will are good. So hopefully this will turn around for Jacob. I'll have to wait and to see on it. It's just the end of it's tough.
Speaker 2: And Isaac, where are you on Canarella who I think he inevitably is linked to Marcy now moving forward? Just yeah, he's having such a big year. He was, as far as I can tell, like the first player in his entire twenty twenty five draft class to be an everyday guy at Triple A. And now we have not just TJ in the chat, but I think a lot of people naturally wondering, like, well, what could it hurt to give him a shot at the big league level now that he's just been so extraordinary statistically in the minors this year, especially, the power has exploded in a way to complement his other tools in a way that actually gets you really excited about the impact he can make. You know, where are you on that? Given that this team could use a little bit of a spark, even though this would be somewhat of it would be rushing him up relative to basically any other player in his class, and he'd be moving faster than we've seen a Marlin's prospect move in a very long time. Have you got this opportunity? But yeah, where do you stand as a guy that has only been in Jacksonville for a week at this point, but has just performed so well at this point that I think this is a real reasonable conversation to have about when he'll.
Speaker 4: Be ready and most certainly is and the fan in me would be ecstatic about the idea of having him come up and just basically replaced basically the biggest black hole you have in you're starting lineup, which unfortunately right now is Jacob Marci. However, that said that, this nine game losing streak has done not only bad things for the tradeline, but I think they're going to be less incentivized because one I thought kem Knnarelli could make for a pretty decent trade ship if they chose to go that route and acquire big lead tell and I think they could sell high on him because I'm not sure how they view him. I don't know if they think he's as good as he's shown this year or on the other front, they want to keep it and they don't want to addhim to the forty man quite yet and just see for next year. But now they're sort of in the middle here and I don't really know what they want to do. If they want to be aggressive and promote him, that is a possibility, and I do know that with position players, especially when you do promote a player, you want him to be there for good. And I'm not sure if the Martins are quite ready to hand him the keys to centerfield or any outfield spot quite yet. Even though with Casey injured and Marcy not performing, it couldn't hurt. But I'm not sure if the Marlins and Peter Binister can start the clock so early. And I think they'd like him. They don't want ad him to the forty min quite yet, if I had to make a guess, But I personally the models were five games over six teams over a little bit better right now, then yeah, maybe you could see them be a little bit more aggressive.
Speaker 2: Yeah. People don't want to hear this, but the forty man like complications are real because it's not only that you make a decision in the short term to get him on the forty min. It's that he's gonna be stuck there for many years after you put him on in the first place. Like, for example, there's a big difference in terms of having him on now and for the forsable future versus waiting until everything feels right early next year. To have all that flexibility the rest of the season into the off season, in particular for a team that is you would, I mean, it's gonna be really complicated this particular offseason. But given the lockout, given some other structural changes that make become to baseball but it's really important for the roster building to have flexibility if you want it, so you call him up if you feel he's absolutely going to improve the team. But that's that's always the complication with prospects. It's almost possible to know how much he's going to help right away with this team, and the fact that you know they still believe in Marcy, and the two are kind of redundant, Like if they bring up Canarella, it means probably they send down Marcy, And I think I actually would agree with the conservative but ultimately more appropriate move, which would be just to continue to give Marcie his even if it's less reps than his game most of the year, Just give him a chance to put it all together. Because given how excited everybody was about it this guy just a few months ago, the fact that he's seemingly healthy this entire way, like there's it's not unreasonable to expect that thing. He could be a great player these final couple of months of the year and salvage something from this year. So I wouldn't be so quick to demote him entirely. But I think they've really they've righted the needle in the appropriate way. By producing his playing time, giving the shot to Ruiz, who's who's been a bright spot basically from start to finish. Ever since Ruiz has been healthy, he's been a productive, helpful player. He stole two more bases last night. He's up to twenty two steals as a guy that's like played half the games. Almost a perfect success right in that time, we do have a question from actually about uh one move the front office made that looks way better now than when it happened originally.
Speaker 5: And I guess to.
Speaker 2: Me, I start with Ruiz. He ties in there pretty pretty perfectly, because I was not a fan of them going from they essentially started last off season with Dane Meers in that role, and then they went to Ruiz, and then Ruiz gets hurt, and then they pick up like Austin Slater, And to me, I thought that progression was really depressing, to go from Dane to Ruiz, who I didn't think could hit whatsoever, to Slater, who I thought was frankly washed up. And that proved to be the case. I'll hear from you guys on that as well. To just to keep things a little bit positive, moves that we're liking a lot more right now that are really important to keeping the seam afloat compared to what we thought they looked like when the move was made. What stands out to you, Nate outside of like the Ruiz trade when it comes to that.
Speaker 7: Well, I was gonna do with Ruiz too, in just the way that the Marlins are played for the past two years with their small ball idea ideology and you bring it ally Estrade. Ruiz was not only great at ceiling second, but laying down bunch like we saw Milwaukee for hits and ceiling third, which has been I mean priceless for this prominence team this year. I'll come back to me, I'll fame another one, but I feel like top of the head, it's hard to go with the guy that's not a Seria Reuise.
Speaker 3: M John King' that's the other one where it's like, okay, great, where does add And just felt more like Adam talent to the roster a competition here for camp, but he's you know, you can argue he's been the best reliever the team and definitely missing him right now. So I think just you know, his absence just kind of underscoring what a big win that really was you.
Speaker 4: Know what, I'm going to go a little bit off the grid here because I know it was a it was a popular trade, This was a popular player that they wanted to acquire at the time. But still I had my reservations on both ends of it. With the Edward Cabrera for Own Casey trade, I was concerned that Carbrera would perform extremely well, and I was concerned that Casey was going to his strikeout problems were going to really just translate heavily to the major leagues and he wouldn't be a productivity player.
Speaker 5: And Casey really proved me wrong.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, he got into with the cap strain and I'm not sure what that time table looks like.
Speaker 5: But Own Casey really all around. Just after that really really lengthy rush stretch. I think it was in May or honestly late April. It was where he just couldn't hit the ball.
Speaker 4: He's really turned it around, and I just really liked the short swing, the compact, the power he has.
Speaker 5: He can strike out.
Speaker 4: Thirty percent of the time and he's still going to be a valuable every day major league So I think that's one move that it looked okay at the time.
Speaker 5: And now what I think. I'm very happy with that trade.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think one that was just more so of an after thought that a guy we really don't talk about it as much as we should, in my opinion, is Ari Burks and Hernandez. They signed him as a minor league free agent twenty twenty five, came up halfway through the year, and he's been a very valuable piece of this team evercentral turning from tri Pla, so as we say hello Kevin from the airport, he also had a great seat, He had a great series. I went Kevin, got to see him in Houston, and he's been a really big power back from this team that has needed it, especially with Casey going to down so bid back from the right side of the team that is really, you know, heavily reliant on left you. So I brought Hernandez.
Speaker 5: I see you dark mm and.
Speaker 2: We kind of sped through this. Actually you brought up Hernandez, And this is a tough thing. I did want to get to kind of briefly on here, like even though we don't want to make a dramatic pivot to the Marlins being bye bye bye, to being actually open minded to selling like Kevin. This is something that we've talked about in terms of, you know, what the Marlins might need if they were contending that they really need another right handed bat, but there really aren't that many out there. And at the same time, though, if you compare Bert to some of the guys that are on the market, like Bird is to a lot of other teams, like Hernandez is gonna be really desirable to other teams. And I saw this mentions I can't remember by who, and it's something that like it's kind of stuck on the top of my mind that if the Marlins either not not necessarily as sellers, but if they end up doing like some creative shake up to their team. I feel like Bert, that he's performed this year, that's the guy that could bring out a pretty big hole for a guy that they signed as a minor league free agent a couple of years ago. Like if they're that the Bendix motto is always to sell high on these kind of assets. Burt is probably near the peak of his value at this moment, given the way that especially the way that he's been hitting since he came up from Triple A a couple months ago.
Speaker 10: Yeah, can you guys hear me. First of all, yeah, we got you cool.
Speaker 11: Yeah, No, that's honestly the guy that hadn't crossed my mind in terms of the guy that they.
Speaker 10: Could move on from Bert.
Speaker 11: Definitely, right handed bats are very coveted in the trade market. As you got no Dad Live, the Mornins need a right handed bat, specifically preferably at third base. That they were into a buyer's mode, which right now definitely not there. But no, Burt is a guy who could probably bring you back a couple of prospects, and I think the big thing with him is the years of control that he does have remaining. I mean that that is very lucrative, especially in the position player market that you usually see a lot of rentals moved on from, not really guys with your control. That's why on the pitching market, a guy like we Detmers would very much you know Garner, a big Hall or even Ezekiel Durant too of the Rangers, a right handed third baseman who I don't think is gonna get moved because the Rangers aren't a pretty favorable spot. But this Astras team certainly showed him that they may have to end up selling because Houston played a very good series against Miami.
Speaker 10: I'll probably have you on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should reference this question from Ashley and the chat. Just your quick thoughts about covering in Houston in particular, that's a new ballpark for us, and just in general this season, you've done quite a bit of globe trotting with your road coverage. So are there particular features from these road ballparks that you've really enjoyed and I would like to see maybe in Miami someday.
Speaker 11: Yeah, this was This is an interesting one, like by far the most interesting of the ones I've gone to. And mind you, I've been to the Trop and people you know, say that the trop sucks. Actually, like the TRUP, Houston was like one of the more the most old school of ballpark I've been to. I think, like I know, Isaac will appreciate this. The in game part of it. There was only one game.
Speaker 10: The whole time.
Speaker 11: It was this canned shuffle thing like you do with the like the moms with the hats.
Speaker 10: It was a Goya sponsored one.
Speaker 11: And outside of that, they have this tradition in the seventh inning where they sing in the heart of Texas. I think that's what the song is called whatever, and they have broadcasters throw like crackerjack and peanuts out.
Speaker 10: Into the day.
Speaker 5: I saw that.
Speaker 10: That's that's about it.
Speaker 11: Like there's no real there's no in game host, there's no slots, there's no deal or no deal and what regardless of how bad the team could be. And this is a down year for the Astros. They they get thirty thousand a night, and there was thirty thousand each night there, but no, this was definitely the most interesting of the ballparks I've been to a lot more old school feels old. The train does move. I actually did not know it moved, but it does every time. Every time there's a homer, it gets very loud in there. And you guys definitely spoke about him, but you're don Alvarez hits absolute tanks. That guy should be the MVP of the American League, unanimous because what he does is impressive and it's such a sweet swing. But I mean, you look at the homer he hit off Sandy. It was impressive because it's not it wasn't even a terrible pitch from Sandy. It was pretty low. He had been getting guys to swing and missed on that all day. Long and Jordon just got a good piece of it and took an opposite field too, which is very tough to do at that ballpark. So yeah, press box wise for media folks, smallest subinin by far Tampa.
Speaker 10: Ste Throngs was huge. It was very low. I thought we're gonna get a foul ball our way.
Speaker 11: It came close a couple of times, but definitely the oldest feeling price box with a bunch that I've been to personally.
Speaker 10: But no, it was great.
Speaker 11: Houston's awesome ballpark was nice, So yeah, I can't complain Outside of the games, it was.
Speaker 10: A great time.
Speaker 2: That's true. It's tough, but it was phenomenal.
Speaker 10: To the food.
Speaker 11: Phenomenal, phenomenal food. Omelet had an omelet, They had people making omelets for you, serving you brisket.
Speaker 10: It was great.
Speaker 11: I mean, you know, as someone who who eat stolen depot park food, this was a step.
Speaker 10: Up for sure.
Speaker 7: I'm just surprised they can do it. They can, like watch a baseball game without a Scoopa six seven cam. I didn't know that was a possibility, right.
Speaker 11: I will say, I will say it was a little bit like it felt boring, but I guess just watch like it just felt more boring, not very lively. But I guess there's that they make the show the baseball game, and rightfully so, so a lot of credit goes to them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for some reason, I don't know where the Marlins get this from, they feel the need to distract the fans from the product on the field, as if the baseball isn't enough, as if the Cy Young Award winner and your five wins shorts up aren't enough, And it's just it's it's unbearable because it's every halfening that there's some sort of non baseball related gimmick going on, and anyway, I can go up on for that for hours. But yeah, I'm glad Houston does it right.
Speaker 4: And that's a perennial World Series contender, so they know what they're doing on and off the field.
Speaker 2: Marls will get a chance to change their approach if they like, now that they start new homestand tomorrow night. So we'll get to that in the importance of these upcoming gains. Briefly, First, a word from our partners at K twelve.
Speaker 8: Hey, for the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed, take a look at K twelve Powered schools. K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade, all in a setting that works for your family. And they've been a leader in online education for over twenty five years, serving over three million families and todd Father. You've raved about the homeschooling experience, Hey.
Speaker 12: If you're a busy family, K twelve is where it's at. I've had a couple of my children who've been homeschooled. It's a fantastic offer to unity for them not only to get better in school, but timely fashion too, and make some new friends. K twelve has every opportunity to make your child better and smarter as they move forward in their academic career.
Speaker 8: See how K twelve Powered Schools can help unlock your child's full potential. En roll online today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 2: We were saying, I'm talking about some podcast strategy earlier this month. I wasn't thinking that we'd spend too much time like previewing these upcoming series moving forward. But this is absolutely an exception where this Padres team is right in the thick of the wildcard race with the Marlins. They have three games now coming up at Lone Deepot Park that will have a big influence on what these teams do at the didn on They're both in almost the exact same situation where you could see them going either way depending on how they perform leading up to next Monday a week from then. So I think we got to dive into the Padre a little bit over these three games. I'll start with you, Sean like, this is a team that has been in firm playoff contention for like the last four years, and then this year has been somewhat of an exception from that. They've been under five hundred for a lot of this first half. It's been Mason Miller and a lot of underachievers, a lot of star players that aren't actually producing quite a little that we thought entering this year. So you know, where's your mind go first with this Padres team, the fact that they're several games under five hundred, that they're still looking up at the Marlins and the standings. They lost another winnable game today entering this series to the Braves, the Braves actually doing the Marlins a solid by winning that series against the Padres. Yeah, what sticks out most about this team and the fact that despite their star power, despite a pretty high payroll, that they've been mediocre to this point.
Speaker 3: I mean, I kind of go to the stars honestly. I mean lately both Fernando Tatis and Manny Machada are starting to come around, and that's just in time to face the Marlins, and particularly in Machada coming around and you know, coming home, that terrifies me, as the Marlins do need to win this series, and I think Machila's going to have something to say about that and all those tvas on the Marlin side of the pitching ledger in this series. But yeah, it's you know, keeping them off the board. It is another series, like many, they've had a flight where you could kind of view this as the Marlins getting your preview of players that could be available at the deadline when we were thinking of them, you know, as aggressive buyers. You know, the theoretically the Astros are going to be right down to the wire on whether they're going to buy or sell. The Padres as we said, another team in that position. But yeah, you know, some without their all their best, you know pictures available in the series. The Marlins are going to have to keep Tatisa Machado in check, and that's been a problem for them in the in the past.
Speaker 2: The problem starters for the Padres side really jumped at me because I think that to some extent, aside from a lot of their hitters underperforming, their rotation is kind of being held together by duct tape in glue. It's Harmon Marquez, it's the corpse of Walker Buehler in the final game, and in the middle one, it's JP Sears, like a guy that was pretty far down their depth chart as recently as last year. Yeah, we'll go to Nate. I guess like this is a Marlins offense. I think that has kind of been the main issue during the course of this losing streak is that they just never pop off for a crooked number or the course of the streak more almost there's only been I think you dug up the stat well last night that they've only topped three runs twice over these like nine games. This should be a golden opportunity to do so, right, this team that has played so well at home this year and now going up against these starting pitchers that are like charitably speaking, back end arms in all three of these games. Yeah, if not now, then when would this Marlinds offense kind of exploded in one of these games to stabilize things after this? It's been a pretty extended dry spell.
Speaker 7: For them, exactly right, And they've been a much better team at Lone Depot Park than on the road for the entirety of the season, even during the.
Speaker 10: Majority of that June stretch.
Speaker 7: And I just checked the Phillies probables for the first time after this series and it's Wheeler, Nola and Lozarda. So if there was ever a time for this Marlins team to start in it would be tomorrow and this entire series in San Diego.
Speaker 5: I'd let you guys have mentioned.
Speaker 7: I mean, this team is neck and neck with them all of a sudden in the wild card race, and I trust a guy like AJ Prowler to go out and get guys to push them over the top, compared to Peter Bennix, who, like again we get to see by the deadline and you know, probably don't want to dish out too many assets completely on the other end of the spectrum from Preler, So the Marlins will had their chance.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 7: I think the losing streak ends tomorrow, to be honest with you, just getting back and home, I feel like they had I mean, like you did a touch on. Also, they ever really been outmatched like crazy this entire stretch, even that that first Friday game at lone depot into Parkner Messig, who was an All Star, they hunt around for the entirety of that band didn'tet assuming they needed it too. So I think tomorrow they finally break it. Like you said, you a lot of back end arms. I hope you'll get the middle of this order eased up. Like I said, x Autos Tours who have been pulled for the majority of the stretch and keep guys like meam Hicks and Grifferent to nine hot. So the time is now because if they don't do it, then then they're going to have a hell of a lot bigger challenge coming up.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's the most frustrating part about the stretch, right. I think before yesterday, before yesterday's game, seven of the eight games that they've lost and had lost in where by two runs or less.
Speaker 10: So it's not like they're getting blown out and this team is.
Speaker 11: Like a hoopse of what we saw on you know, the first half. But it's not like they're playing, you know, getting blown out and they have no shot at winning. Although I will say the Astro series certainly felt like that where they maybe were a lot there.
Speaker 10: It was close games, but it felt like they were more.
Speaker 11: Out of it than in the games. Just the way that they were hitting out just frustrating that was. But yeah, this is not a very good Potter's scene in my opinion. I actually think they'll end up selling and selling big time. I know there's rumors about Mason Miller. I would have loved to have Adrian Morrohane on the Marlins lefty reliever if they were to buy, but I just don't see that right now.
Speaker 10: As a possibility in terms of if they do, you know, I just gotta see where they're at. And this is a big series. This is huge.
Speaker 11: I mean, this could probably sway the Marlins' desires of buying standing Pad or just selling. So I think this one is probably bigger than the Phillis one because at this point, the divisions out of reach it was at one point and now it's not. It would really have to be a free fall through the Phillies for the Marlins to really set themselves on the spot where they could keep talking about the Second World Guard.
Speaker 10: But I don't think that's the case.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and take this with a rain of salt. Because right before the Martins went to Houston, ashers are coming off a sweep, but San Diego's two and five coming out of the All Star breaks. So hopefully in Miami, all the factors are lining up for them to finally break out of the street then are on their steps going to it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this could be a really fun weekend at Lone DEEPO Park.
Speaker 4: And I strongly encourage you guys ignore the Lebron rumors, ignore everything else. So I would go out to Lone Depot parky that reverse trade turner thing.
Speaker 5: Maybe come and give these guys a whole standing ovation. As cheesy as it was, Hey, maybe they could use some support like That's never been done in this entire franchise of the history. There's never been like a whole turnout for a specific time, and there's ever a time. Go to Lone DEEPO Park. It's a sexy opponent. It's a fun team you'll have. I can't say it's a sexy starting pitcher tomorrow, but it'll be a fun time. I think that he that Marlins could could use the support.
Speaker 11: Make sure to go watch Lake Balker is good touch on this one common from David.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of the things holding back this offense, Kevin notice it in particularly this past series was all the strikeouts against Houston, and that's very out of character for this team in the roster that they have. That's kind of the main thing that you know to see turned arounds. And again with the problems pitchers coming up for the Padres, as long as you're not in the situations that you have to face the Dragon in the ninth inning, Mason Miller, there's a lot of other guys on this pitching staff you can put the ball in play against them, and you would hope that that is the potentially the main difference and an opportunity for the Marlins to respond, just because they're going up against guys that don't have quite as much swing and miss stuff these next few days. I guess I'll finish this off by doing a very impromptu announcement about our partnership with a Sadhead, because looking at the longest losing streaks in Marlin's history, I was digging this up for social media posts. Given putting this into perspective, the fact that we are a weekend away from potentially seeing history, I think a lot of you guys seem cautiously optimistic about how this Padre series is going to go. If the Marlins do get swept again these next three days, it would be unprecedented. They've never had a single season losing streak beyond eleven games in Marlin's history, and the last one of those was back in the Florida days. Back in twenty eleven. The ninety eight team had two separate eleven game losing streaks. No was surprised. That was the worst team overall in Marlins franchise history. But this right now is tied for the fifth longest losing streak within a single season they've ever had. They had one of those at the start of people remember this, so it started twenty twenty four immediately at the start of that season, and they also had one late in the twenty twenty two season. The vibes are pretty bad at that time as well, so this is already on the short list of longest losing streaks that they've had before. And I use stat Head. I've been using it basically my entire adult life to look at baseball stuff, and very naturally, we've now become an ambassador as part of Baseball Reference and their stat Head products. So whenever you're looking to become an annual subscriber to any of the things that they offer for research purposes, if you just put fof at checkout, you save twenty percent off your order over there, and this is yeah, we'll we're using this for better times that are in good times and in bad times. That's kind of why I love this service in the first place. Of course, for most of my Marlin's coverage career, this team has not been good, but there's still a lot of fun in digging up whether it's individual player stats or for extreme splits in a positive or negative direction. I've notice that fans love this type of stuff, and if you want to look it up for yourself, this is the best possible deal that you can get. And now that we're one of their ambassadors, we have our own coupon code right there, so easy to remember. Hope, you guys use it. Hope you guys have fun and pull up whatever you find interesting on their site. And because they have it for both baseball and a handful of other sports, all available under the stat Head umbrella, So take advantage of that and of course continue to follow us. We'll continue to use those tools that are disposal to keep you informed and to keep you entertained about things that are kind of unique about this Marlins team throughout the rest of this season and beyond. Now, that's a good time for our final and favorite segment every single show. It is Prediction time after we hear from Jetski Rentals of South Florida. Frinds at Jetski Rentals of South Florida, they presents all of our podcast efforts here on fish on First, Miami's best jet ski in boat adventures Jetske Rentals of South Florida with six Jitski locations and over one hundred and twenty boats, just something for every style and every budget. Ride Jetski's Riding from the Downtown Skyline in Ferriswheel or book your own private boat starting as love as three hundred dollars with the captain included. Bring your drinks, to your friends and enjoy the water your way. The boat is completely yours for the time you reserve it. The reservation based only to book called three oh five nine nine oh two one nine two, or check them out online at SF jet ski rentals dot com. Make sure to use our promo code phish on first and that gets you a ten percent discount off your next booking. Again, that's three oh five nine nine oh two one nine two, or online at SF jetski rentals dot com. This is prediction time. That's my prediction, but who knows? Predictions time? Here nearly two thirds of the way through this Marlin season. As always, we are looking ahead to how many games Marlins will win in their upcoming series. Who will be the series MVP as determined by win probability. Added a very quick limps here at the previous series and what people thought coming into that. Despite how down this team has been, it was basically a fifty to fifty split between people thinking the Marlins we're going to bounce back and those thinking the Astros would win. And Jordan Alpharez was far and away the most popular series MVP pick, and that proved to be accurate. So he is he gained a few points from people over there. Jeremiah Geiger is still on top of our leader board here, but his lead is gradually thinning because he is, you know, Jeremiah, He's a very optimistic guy and he considues to Vic the Marlins, so he's been stuck in place for a little while there. It's now super sub David Fernandez within five points of him on the overall leaderboard, and several other super subs nipping on his heels right there. So we keep this leaderboard for our staffers. Our super subs are their last stream guests, and we monitored them all season long. It traditionally comes right down to the wire, and I think that's going to be the case yet again here on this show. So it's another three game series against the Padres. I kind of got an idea about where you guys might be leaning on this one. But now it's time to make it official. So we'll get the music started and we'll start off with Kevin first at the airport for his serious predictions Marlins versus Padres.
Speaker 11: There we go, all right, I gotta go Marbles stick two out of three. Just let's stay optimistic and serious. MVP I'm gonna go to Joe Mack. Joe Mack got an Austin serious in Houston, and I'm sure guys spoke about it, but the fact that he leaves Major League Bay small hot stealings at least the last time I checked is is insane, especially since it got called up on May fourth. The power is starting to show a lot more hit two noops in Houston. So yeah, Markins will bounce back snap the street and Joe Mack will be a big.
Speaker 2: Reason why Isaaca do your predictions, sir.
Speaker 5: It's gonna turn around in a big way.
Speaker 4: The Martins are going to sweep the San Diego Padres over the weekend of Long d Park and Uri peret here he's MVP.
Speaker 2: Okay, Sean Millerrick your turn.
Speaker 5: Your hands on.
Speaker 3: Marlins will put an end to the streak of getting swept, but they will only win one game in this series. Manny Machado will be the series MVP.
Speaker 2: Okay, mister Nate, go ahead.
Speaker 7: I will lean on the side of optimism as well. Something's telling me they're gonna come back on track after Why, It's almost been two weeks since the Rounds won a game, so I think they take two out of three in San Diego and their guy hottle Upez their stars and will leave the way. Then he has two homers a series are right back on track and the Marlins.
Speaker 5: Back on tracks.
Speaker 2: Hmm, I'm gonna air on the side of content entertainment purposes. I think the Marlins are gonna lose this series again, not get swept, but they're gonna be right on the precipice losing the first two of the series, matching a franchise record for longest winning streaks. The Tongus lose streak and then in the series finale salvage things and just barely Eke passed. I think from a storytelling perspective, having them potentially dip below the five hundred mark after being so high up in such a relatively short period of time would be U Yeah, that'd be a whole lot for us to chew on. Even though, of course I think that they're capable of winning the series. I just think that the frustration is going to continue until they prove otherwise. So yeah, all the Padres winning two out of three this weekends in Miami, with the series VP going to Jackson Merrill. Marlin still insist on using all these right handed pitchers, and I think left handed batters are continuing to going to be an opportunity to really pop off. We saw jord On Alvarez do that in Houston, and I think Jackson Merrill, who himself is in the midst of a very very poor season, I think will have one of his very best stretches of twenty twenty six to give the Marlins some frustrations over the course of these three games. And that's our show fof Live here on the Fishing On First Podcast presented by jetske Rentals of South Florida on the Foul Territory Network. Thanks everybody for tuning in. From Eli and Kevin, Isaac, Nate, Sean, we even had Jeremiah on for brief first part of the show as well. Yeah, it's gonna be busy weekend. And there's just so much heided Heidens importance attached to these games, this series and then especially the next two following that, heading up into the trade deadline. It is the postseason race before the actual postseason race, as just a premium on the Marlins who win these games, and I think understandably people have been disappointed and some have been freaking out and it's hard to really push back against that when they've lost some money in a row. But we'll see what happens this weekend. We'll have you covered either way from Lone Depot Park, and it's at least it's a blessing to have this team relatively close in the picture at this stage of the season. So we're going to continue to give it are all leading up to the deadline, and we'll be on that regardless of the results on the field. Next stream will probably be on Sunday, right after the end of this Padre series, so we'll talk to you more than I appreciate all the support that you've given us so far and helpe you keep that up throughout the rest of the season. As always, go Fish