Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, ba fan, we have another how to throw back for two. That's you and Spanish. If you spoke Spanish, you would know that summer is here. So we're looking back at how to travel on a budget featuring Victory Bino. Okay, so listener, Victory needed some advice on how to budget and fund her business and travel plans. And of course you know I did not disappoint with my expert business advice on me. I've been in this game for years. It's may be animaled. This rules to this I wrote me and Manuel. Okay, plus, learn how to get the biggest bang for your buck while vacationing this summer.
Speaker 2: Check it out. It's time for the b a qa a.
Speaker 1: The b a q a with Tiffin A, the b a q a with Mandad but she ain't here today, the b a q a with Victory A let b a qa a. We have a guest in the stew Her name is Victory ban woh and so Victory is I don't even know. I mean, we all see if she's a DreamCatcher. She had mentee, it was Victory. But she is going to ask two questions of me today. And if you would like to be in the stew at any moment in time, or just have a question answered. You can go to brandnambispodcast dot com click click contact us. You can go and fladden our dms at Brianambision podcast on ig the BA podcast on Twitter, briannabishonpodcasts at gmail dot com. Yeah, all those ways you could be like Victory in the stew, Welcome Victory.
Speaker 2: How are you hi, Tiffany. I'm good.
Speaker 3: I'm actually a mentee, so that's where I'm from. I'm from the Patroon community. And it's been such an awesome I think it's already almost a year since you know, you started mentoring us, so it's been awesome.
Speaker 1: Yes, so she's part of my mentor Tiffany dot com.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: So most of y'all know me as the Bunjanista obviously personal finance. But I've been in the business for over fifty years. I mean fifty yeah, right, girl, I've been in business for fifteen years and I've made about fifty million dollars about give or take in business. I mean, I've got a New York Time bestseller award winning podcast. Just like there's so many things in business that I've done online school, I've had a marketing company. Just so many things that I've done in business, and I get the request of mentorship all the time. And I already have like ten to fifteen, like in person mentees that I talked to on the phone or see in person.
Speaker 2: But the request just can't pouring in.
Speaker 1: So I said, well, let me see what it would look like to maybe mentor people digitally. And so I started my mentor Tiffany dot com and Victory joined and so now she's here. So Victory, now you get to ask me a question up close and in personal, and so I'm close and personal. If you want to be a mentee, it's just my mentor Tiffany dot com and you can join us all over there. It's twenty bucks a month. I mean, at least while I'm recording this. Who knows what to be a by the time you listen to it.
Speaker 2: But all right, Victory, what's your first question?
Speaker 3: Yes, So my question, really, Tiffany, is how do I structure my budget? You know, you talk about personal finance a lot and not really a lot of the things that you suggested are very helpful, and even from the book structured my budget But my question now is for somebody who's starting a business, how do I make my dollars stretched to where I'm able to cover my bills, meet my personal financial goals, but then also fund a business. I don't necessarily want to get a VC or an investor. I want to fund a business myself. But I'm trying to figure out how to structure my budget in such a way that I make my money stretch that.
Speaker 2: Or even go ahead, I'm sorry, or even one?
Speaker 3: Or is it I guess? Is it too Is it reaching too for too much to say, Hey, I want to reach my personal financial goals and also invest in the business. Do I have to pick one? Or you know, how what do you suggest?
Speaker 2: Well, victory, I'll say that one. You don't. I want you to be a business.
Speaker 1: To be a really good business owner founder, you have to learn to be super flexible. So one it might look like at the beginning you're not a hundred percent entrepreneur like I wasn't in the beginning. I started the Budgetista, which was making me zero point zero or zero dollars, but I was babysitting, I was tutoring, I was doing all this other stuff. I had unemployment at the time, I'd lost my job and that's really how I was paying bills. The business did not pay me anything for the first few years. So don't be afraid to have other things fund like whether you have like a job, like a regular job, and it's funding your business.
Speaker 2: There's nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 1: Like very few businesses make money straight out the gate enough to support you, So it's okay not to be one hundred percent entrepreneur. You might even have a business before the business. So I know a woman, her name is Arsha Rsha has this company called Capital DC Wait Capital City Mumbo Sauce. It's like a mixed between like barbecue sauce and like ketchup.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's very popular in the DMV, which is DC Virginia, Maryland area Mumbo sauce in general.
Speaker 2: So Arsha knew you wanted to.
Speaker 1: Do this sauce, but a physical product is very expensive to produce, and so what she did was years before she was able to launch that, she started a T shirt business, which is very print on demand because a lot of these companies print full. Someone can order it and they won't print it until it's ordered, so they don't have any waste, you know. And so she started to teach her business called Teas in the Trap, and so that business required next to no overhead. She just had to figure out whatever her designs were, and people would buy the T shirt, the place would printed and mail it for her, and she would get money.
Speaker 2: And so she stacked up on that.
Speaker 1: Money and that easier business, so then she was able to fund the business that really needed money. Hold that thought and we'll be right back. So the Budgetista was the business of Tiffany, Right. So that's like speaking engagements that doesn't really cost me anything. That's like I've done like a spokesperson work that doesn't cost me anything. So when I launched a liver Richer Academy, it costs me a lot of money because I had to get the platform, I had to pay the instructors. I could not have launched the academy from the gate. I did the Budgetista for the first five or six years, and then the Budgetista had enough money to lend this new company money. It was like maybe thirty thousand dollars of the Budgetista had squirrelled away, gave it to the academy to get started, and then the Academy over the year or two paid it back to Budgetista. So you can sell fund through like a business. Before the business, you could sell fund through just working uber, you know, like all these other things. You know, So you want to get really creative and flexible about how you fund the business if you don't want to take because I don't have any outside investments, I don't have any loans, any debt. Now I'm not saying you don't you shouldn't do those things. I'm just saying, since what you're saying victory sounds like you don't want to do those things. So that's how it's a flower path to do you know, that way, But it's to me it allows us to sustain because I don't owe anybody any money, and I don't have any debt, and I own all of my businesses one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Right, And that makes a lot of sense because I've also done different side hustles if you will, just to you know, have some extra income. But it sounds like if I'm more what you're saying is if I'm being more intentional about saying, hey, I'm going to do this side hustle to particularly put gather that capital for the business versus having to maybe go for outside funding or take out a loan or do something like that exactly.
Speaker 1: And I'm not saying you shouldn't take that, Alan, I'm saying that, you know, you want to be mindful that, like, if I take out this loan, there are terms. So the terms are you know, you have to pay it back with it a certain amount of time. We're like, do I think the business will be up and running? I liked for me, I called the bank of Budgetista. So I'm like, because she's a lot more lenient and because in case I don't have the money to pay back just yet, She's like, all right, girl, you got one more year, you know. And So I built a business where the overhead was low, you know, the cost to start it was low, so I can make money so I can do other things. So if I ever wanted to launch another business, I probably would do it again. I would just go to the Janista and say, hey, girl, can you lend me money to start this other thing? And I'll pay you back.
Speaker 3: That is smart.
Speaker 2: That is smart.
Speaker 3: You have me thinking now, I'm thinking what about ideas or what I can do to the business before the business Just you know, brainstorming.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Victory, the floor is yours. What's your second question?
Speaker 3: So my second question is about traveling. Really, I know you've you've talked to some about, you know, some of the travels that you've done. And because my business involves going to Nigeria and I have to do a lot of traveling, So what are some I guess advice or tips that you have about how to make the best of traveling since I do have to travel internationally a lot, and you know those aren't like cheap flights or you know, take cares on hotels and things.
Speaker 2: No, this is great, So this is more like a budget at a question. So, yes, I do travel a lot.
Speaker 1: So one of the things Victory like for travel, there's a new tip I just learned, so I'm gonna put a pin in that one.
Speaker 2: But one is I try my.
Speaker 1: Best, you know, when it makes sense to be loyal to a specific airline because I can't earn points in order to then to earn points for free travel, you know. And then I also try my best if I was gonna buy when I buy my tickets, to specifically get a credit card specifically geared toward earning points for travel. So Chase makes a good Chase Venture card Capital one has a good one. AMX is pretty good for travel, you know, so to earn points. So like right now, like for example, I've earned enough point.
Speaker 2: I have an.
Speaker 1: AMX Platinum card, and I have that for my business, you know, and so we put all of our business expenses on it. And as a result, I have enough points for like a ton of travel, and so you want to maximize that, you know, Like if you're going to use a credit card, use it for it to earn you travel points also too, Like I mean, I know you're traveling internationally, but in general, Like right now, I'm in a hotel and I try to stay within the Bonvoy family that's like Marriotts and things, because you earn points there too, so I can earn free nights, I can earn free upgrades.
Speaker 2: So one of the best ways to navigate with travel is.
Speaker 1: To, you know, to try your best to stick to loyalty when it makes sense. The difference is like hundreds and hundreds of dollars in tickets or whatever. It might not, but I try to be loyal so that way I can get additional points toward additional free travel. Something else that I've heard is, I don't know if you've ever heard of a have you heard of a VPN? So VPNs are these ways to log in. So I use it for the first time when I went to Bali a year or so back. It allows me to look like I'm not in Bali online. There's a whole bunch of VPNs are not too terribly expensive. It allows you to log in from whatever country you want when you're on your computer. And so I was having a hard time logging into my social media in Bali because Facebook, Instagram, they all thought that I was trying to hack into my own account.
Speaker 2: So I had to get a VPN, which.
Speaker 1: Basically is I can't remember what it stands for, but it allows me to say, even though I'm in Bali, my computer looks like it's still in the United States. And with VPNs, where people used oftentimes to like like, for example, the Netflix that you see in Nigeria is not the Netflix that you'll see in the US. So with them, if you're logged in under your VPN, you can watch whatever people in Nigeria are watching via Netflix.
Speaker 2: But what's really great about it is.
Speaker 1: That there are certain times when you can buy flights. You can say if I bought my flight looking like I was in Nigeria on the United website, you actually might save money. So you can get this VPN and say if I bought my flight as if I was in France buying my flight from the US to Nigeria. So I just saw that hack the other day. I was like, Wow, my sister who is actually in Nigeria right now. My sister Lisa and my sister Tracy, they're in Nigeria right now. That Lisa said she used that to save three hundred dollars on her flight. She used it to look like I'm gonna buy my flight. But I'm not going to look like I'm buying my flight in America. I'm in even though I'm sitting in Jersey City and in New Jersey. I'm gonna have my VPN say I'm in Nigeria because for whatever reason, the algorithm is making the flight less money, you know, by buying it like from like I say, if I'm located in a different country. So that's another way to save as well. And then also too truthfully, there are some really great travel especially if you're traveling a lot like I like to follow travel hackers on social media because sometimes they'll come up with a thinking like well, I didn't know that something new will have come out, you know. Like whenever I'm looking for flights, I always put on my incognito window like in Google, because I don't want them.
Speaker 2: To track me.
Speaker 1: Because every time I go to look for a flight, all of a sudden, the price goes up because they know I'm looking and I'm interested and so but these I mean all of these like kind of like travel hackers. You know, they'll let you know like probably what's the best credit card to use that? Like I said that VPN hack was one that was really good. You know, there's all of these like travel hacks. So if you're traveling a lot, you know, I would I would be following some of these people on like I know, like the points guy Onika the Traveler, she's a black woman who does it. I love to follow them because it really helps me figure out like oh, okay, I didn't even know that. Heck, I'm gonna try that, you know. So that's those are some hacks for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are definitely very helpful. I'm going to try the VPN one and see if it makes a difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me know. Like I said, my sister listens in Niger right now. She was like, it worth I say, three hundred dollars. I was like, ooh, that's great. Well, thank you so much for coming on, Victory. I hope this was helpful. Are you enjoying your mentee experience?
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, yes, yes I am. And I was one of the lucky ones. I got in at for ten bucks a month, and I'm never leaving your stuff with it.
Speaker 2: So I told people, I'm like they thought I was playing.
Speaker 1: Now it's twenty, which is still a really amazing deal obviously, you know.
Speaker 2: But one day it might be thirty or forty or fifty.
Speaker 1: I mean I have friends who have mentionorship programs and it's ten thousand dollars for the year, you know, twenty sixty thousand for the end. People pay, you know, and I'm not looking to do all that, but certainly, I'm like, I really enjoy teaching, and I don't just enjoy teaching about money. I really like to teach about business too, So it's like another part of myself that I get to express.
Speaker 2: You never shared where do you live, Victory?
Speaker 3: I used to live in Dallas, Texas, but I recently just moved to Atlanta for a new job.
Speaker 1: Okay, so hopefully i'll be in Atlanta this year sometime, you know, and we'll do a mentee meet that well, you know, we'll all have dinner because that'll be lots of fun.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I really love pouring into you guys.
Speaker 1: I love hearing like all of the you know, the success stories, and like, I just feel like the thing about business is that you start off at like level one, you know, and then over time you That's why I said that flexibility is so important. That your business will tell you what it needs to grow and to flourish, and it's up to you to be flexible to twist and turn and add and subtract based upon the feedback you're getting from the people you're serving, but also your business too, you know. And over time, you know, if you do that consistently and you stay consistent, and then you know, success is something that is definitely on the horizon. So I hope and wish and know success for you, victory because you're already asking these questions, you're taking steps forward. So now I can't wait to hear more about how your business flourishes forward.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. I love ving a Menzi and like I said, I'm never leaving. So it is what it is.
Speaker 1: Well, if you want to be a mentee and you're listening, you're like, oh this is I'm part of the BA family, but I'm not part of the mente family. Go head on over to my mentortiftany dot com. For twenty bucks a month, you get to jam out with thirty eight hundred other amenities. It's largely women, but we do have a handful of guys. We don't turn anyone away. It's awesome sauce over there. And if you want to be on the podcast, you can go to brannibishonpodcast dot com and click contact us if you want me to answer a question in the stew or just like read your question out loud. Brandabishonpodcasts at gmail dot com and brandambishon podcast on ig Sliding the DMS or the BA Podcast on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Okay, until next time.
Speaker 1: Thank you Victory for coming to the stew with us today and I will see you Brand and Bisher family another day. Another dollar, Bye, Victory, thank you bye.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, wasn't that an awesome throwback and so much fun tripping down memory lane? Okay, make sure you check out Brad and Bish every Monday, every Wednesday, every Friday. I'm doing the Spanish, every looss, every miaco list, and every barness. Okay, many would be very proud of me about terribles fish. All right, y'all, see you next week.