Speaker 1: To remove Dallan Deep speedless, peace, do hell Peas. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 2: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 1: He's got my havnds in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: What is up Dolphins? And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, just previewing the biggest game of the entire season.
Speaker 2: No big deal.
Speaker 3: We'll take a look at the critical matchups and everything you need to know ahead of Dolphins and Texans on Sunday. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Drive Time Podcast.
Speaker 2: Maggie Duff.
Speaker 3: Week fifteen at the Houston Texans at NRG Stadium, one o'clock kickoff ONBS Gonna be played indoors. They keep the roof closed this time of year at NRG. I was interested in this. I went and looked it up. TUA is five and one all time in domes and one and one and retractable roof stadiums.
Speaker 2: Can you can't? Can you know these games? Can you name these games?
Speaker 3: I had to cheat, but only because I didn't know what Las Vegass roof was comprised of retractable or an actual roof. It is the latter. It's a dome that does not open up. But I went backward and man, we play we play so few games indoors. Are you guys like aware of this? Our division, the entire AFC North being outdoor stadiums, you have two retractable roofs in the South and two indoor facilities in the West. But in the NFC you've got seven indoor or retractable, so it's a four to seven split. So I guess that pretty much tracks as to why we don't play that many games indoors. Anyway, the games we have played indoors under Tua was the Rams earlier this year, the Chargers last year. So so far has been a nice play for us to play the Lions back in twenty twenty two, which was right before they began this run as the best team in football. As far as the record goes over the last two and a half seasons, the Saints in twenty one that Ian book game that was ugly, and the Raiders back in twenty twenty which Tua got benched for Ryan Fitzpatrick in and the lone loss is the game in twenty twenty two at the Chargers retractable roof games twenty twenty against the Cardinals to hiss rookie season, the famous Cardinals game, and this one's harder. It was the loss in Frankfurt last year. Technically that is a retractable roof in Germany over there, so interesting facts there. I think this bodes well for the Dolphins offense ability to hit their explosive plays and play sharp and play their best game because footing will be good on artificial turf. Let's go ahead, meet the team, this gun try to stop this Dolphins offense and team in general.
Speaker 2: In the Houston Texans.
Speaker 3: We have not played the Houston since twenty twenty two, and we haven't been in Houston since twenty eighteen?
Speaker 2: Can you believe that? And who boy?
Speaker 3: They are the prime example of how quickly things can change in this league. You might remember just two years ago, hell, even this time last year, before they got hot, they were still kind of this upstart, young team that was kind of fun to watch under Demico Ryans three years three head coaches, starting back in twenty twenty when they dismissed Bill O'Brien and somehow finished with four wins despite having good version of Deshaun Watson back then, which helped us get the third pick in the draft and would turn into another number one pick and Jelen Waddle pretty good there. Then they go David Coley for a year, who was a sacrificial lamb who won four games for a team that was supposed to win zero games, and they still fired him. They had a couple of years there after they depleted their draft cupboards where they signed like thirty free agents and like twenty five of those deals were one year contracts. It was one of the weirder teams in terms of construction that was hurting for talent, but wasn't a young team at the exact same time that I can ever remember. Very strange dichotomy. They had like a team chaplain who was like making personnel decisions.
Speaker 2: I guess Jesus take the wheel.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: That continues into the Lovey Smith year where he goes three thirteen and one, and you might remember his big middle finger to the entire organization where everybody knew he was getting fired, and he winds up pulling out a victory from the jaws of defeat in Week eighteen that gave the Panthers the first pick, and actually Lovey did them a favor, although I think that the Panthers were the only team in the league that was going to take Bryce Young theer one overall, but it wound up getting in the better quarterback in the class that year with CJ. Stroud, And that is where things end or change, I should say, when you get one of the best rookie quarterback performances this league has ever seen. So they bring in Damiko Ryans, who this offseason rounds out his defense to fit what he's looking for. So in the matter of three years, they go from one of the most talent poor franchises to a team that has a star quarterback Stefan Diggs, although he's down, Nico Collins, Tank Dell Dalton Schultz, Joe Mixon, Laramie Tunsel. I'm not gonna put Tye Howard in there. He's a decent player. Daniel Hunter, will Anderson, Deniko Loxrey, Derek Stingley, Jalen Peatrie, Jimmy Ward. They are a very talented football team, a popular dark horse Super Bowl pick this offseason, and they come out of the gates on fire. With this five and one start and kind of validate what everyone said about this football team, but have really really struggled in the seven games since then, three and four. They have losses to the Jets and Titans. In there, those wins are against the Jags and the Cowboys, and I'm forgetting one more. They beat Jacksonville twenty three to twenty before their bye week, and quite frankly, I think the bye week came at the perfect time for them. But we'll see if it helps them get things corrected or if they come out of the bi week a little bit rusty. We've seen that happen to this Dolphins team a couple of times, so hopefully that's the case for Houston this week. Hopefully we force them into that and just you know, make them go back to the drawing board. And man, they have to be locked in on this game because if they don't win this one, they go to Kansas City next week on a Saturday for a short week game. Then they have an even shorter week playing on Christmas.
Speaker 2: Just what is that?
Speaker 3: Four days later, So they have a six day week and then a four day week and it's against the Ravens on Christmas. It is entirely conceivable that if we can go in there and get this win, they could be looking at falling to eight and eight heading into their finale against the Titans. And if the Colts can beat Denver, Tennessee and the Giants, the Texans would have to win that game against the Titans and get help for the Jags to beat the Colts on the season finale to win the division. So to say, this is a big game for both teams, it's a must win for both teams.
Speaker 2: I think if Houston loses this game, I.
Speaker 3: Don't really trust the Colts, but I think there's a I'm not going to predict it, but there's a real possibility they lose the division if they do not beat the Miami Dolphins on Sunday.
Speaker 2: You also know about the similarities.
Speaker 3: Bobby Slowack was a coach on or with McDaniel and San Francisco as well as in Washington. Similar offensive systems. Of course, to MeeGo Ryans brings a defense that Mike knows all too well from their time together in San Francisco. Matt Burke is the defensive coordinator. Connections are a plenty. Let's break down this massive, massive, massive, game in the AFC. The Texans offense their schemes. So if you thought we threw the ball to the middle of the field a lot, just wait until you watch this Texans attack. Forty eight percent of their throws go between the numbers. Well, actually it's the exact same number as us, but our numbers, I think are a little bit skewed to account for the frequency of the screen game we run this year, which has replaced our poor running game. But the Texans numbers to the intermedia and deep portion are much higher than ours. And that's kind of what I'm getting at here. They start things with outside zone. You know that here they haven't really employed a curveball to that it's a three to one zone to man split. Ours is a little bit less than two to one. And they run the ball off tackle or wider on forty five percent of their runs, and they just quite frankly, can't really do it this year. I mean, you couldn't be more familiar with this Texans scheme. They want to fire off the football, create indecision with your eyes and your pre snap motion and activity. But I think that teams have been able to kind of stop this because they don't respect their run game, especially with the one on one struggles they've had inside. And I mean what I just told you is kind of true of the Dolphins as well, which I think should create even more appreciation for the way two was playing right now. That's down the road in this podcast though. They're not playing connected up front, and it produces a lot of runs for nothing or losses for that matter. You can backdoor them, you can get them off their spot, you can impact their ability to catch and climb with big, powerful players, which what does Miami have inside but exactly that, and then off that they want to run play pass, they want to hit inbreakers against your displaced middle of the field defenders. Based upon that play action game, I think a lot of the time, timing and rhythm being thrown off has really been the monkey wrench for this offense, if you will, for them. Because of Stroud's nine interceptions, seven of them have come in the middle of the field, and if we can just get one or two of those this week, I think we're gonna win this football game. Personnel groupings, they run eleven personnel sixty two percent of the time, twelve personnel thirty four percent of the time, which is the third highest rate in the National Football League, and they will go to three tight end sets here and there three percent of the time.
Speaker 2: How do you attack it? How do I say this correctly?
Speaker 3: Like all summer, you know, the concern among our fan base was the offensive line. And I saw one of the trolls on Twitter that hates everything that we do say like, oh, all you have to do is give to a two top ten receivers, a top ten running back, and a top five offensive line, Like really, dude, now the offensive line's top five. Cool man, But if you think, I think, if you look at the Texans season and how that's transpired, what has happened there was the fear that all the Dolphins fans have they had the Texans have not been able to run the football and they cannot protect CJ. Stroud, and that offense has regressed in a major way, despite I think Stroud playing pretty much the same level of football that he did last year. I think the way to attack this version of this offshoot of the Shanahan system is to do everything you can to disrupt the edges. Do not let those tackles get out in space, don't let the tight ends win. You have to win those matchups frequently, and I think you could sacrifice a a little bit inside in order to accomplish that. Like we've seen Ramsey, we've seen Holland, and even if you want to call on more base for you know, Anthony Walker or Tyrell Dodson could be a big spot for those guys. I think you have to find a way to really set the temple on the edge and then also be able to flood the intermediate middle part of the field and trust that Seiler and Campbell can win a bunch of inside rushes or run game reps in terms of playing double teams, beating one on one matchups and making the tackles on those plays, so that Brooks and Walker can really focus on their width and depth against both run and against coverage. And that means you absolutely need a big game from Emmanuel Ogba. Hopefully Bradley Chubb can can go. I would love to have tyas Bowser for this game, but we do not, so Chop, you're gonna have to step up the run defense as well. Of course, when Campbell kicks outside, maybe you get Mo Kamara, Maybe you'll get Cameron goodback here. Shoot, maybe even move Seiler and Campbell both into some more five tech roles to achieve that.
Speaker 2: So you know what it looks like.
Speaker 3: Let's go ahead and talk about the big three verse the Texans offense. You have to shut down the run and you have to do it from light boxes, because I want to be more concerned about Nico Collins and Tank Dell and John Metchi. Speaking of playing with light boxes, did you know that we are the number one team stopping the run in the NFL from light boxes? That means less than seven to man box counts, So five defensive backs out of the equation six or fewer men in the box. Nobody gives up fewer rushing yards on those looks per play then we do. And that is very much to me. A Zach Sealer, A Jordan Brooks, and a Kalais Campbell's stat Did you know that CJ. Stroud has five hundred and four dropbacks this year and one hundred and four of those have come on third or fourth down and long, which is seven plus yards. Spoiler, we'll have another key attached to this, but this is the result you strive for with your run game. If you can make ten of Stroud's forty ish dropbacks in this game, or eight of the thirty five, whatever you want to call it. If you can make them in these situations, I love our chances to make some stops and even more importantly, create some splash plays. Man, we need to get back to taking the football away. It feels like the last couple of years we have not gotten anything by way of takeaways. We need more of that. Please let's continue that in our second portion. But back to the main thing here. And as we said in our how do you attack it category, I think about bigger, heavier edges like Ogball, Kamara, Seeler, Campbell.
Speaker 2: You look at their deployment.
Speaker 3: They want to involve their tight ends as attachments in the outside running game, and I just think if we can prevent them from stretching it out there, it creates a world of issues for their offense. And Joe Mixon is not like a super elusive shifty back who can find those cutback lanes. He kind of wants to get his head of steam rolling and make quick decisions from there where he can sort of, you know, make one cut and go, And I think that reduces the effectiveness of their play pass game as well. It cuts off their bootleg opportunities, which CJ. Stroud is very adept at doing, and it makes the jobs of Brooks and Walker and the safeties much much easier. If you can stop Joe Mixon's feet on those stretch plays, I think you can to shed blocks and give them serious issues and stack up a lot of TFLs and runs for no gains. But Itto Jones is playing, in my opinion, the best football of his career. Deshan hand gives you a handful of really good reps every single week in the rotational role, and perhaps their gradual growth allows you to be more flexible with both Campbell and Stealer. And this probably changes if we get Bradley Chubb back as well as Cam Good, and hopefully that would mean you could reduce some of those snap counts outside for those guys and get Neil Farrell, for instance, back to playing zero snaps, but especially chub Man. What a great week it would be to get the best edgesetter on the entire football team back in this game against the Houston Texans. Not to mention next week against the Niners, because it's gonna be the exact same thing, and against the Browns in two weeks as well, so hey beatchup. Good three games to come back for here, Big Doug. All these stats go together for the Texans. They have the most negative runs in football and a run game that has a success rate ranking thirty first the National Football League, which leads to Stroud being the most pressured quarterback in the NFL. Let's cover that Texas offensive line. Our second big thing, Number two, is to create and punish third and long situations. Opposing defenses have blitzed the Texans fewer times this year than what they did last year, and already have more hurries and unblocked pressures than they did a season ago, and there are four games left to go. I think there's been a few issues here. They haven't run it well and that always makes life tough on a passing game. They aren't scheming up those room service throws for Stroud, and he's had to really parse through some slow developing route concepts, and their spacing hasn't been very good. And speaking of life coming at you fast in the NFL, go look at the commentary among Texans fans on Bobby Slowick, and I will I don't like listening to fan commentary on offensive coordinators and play calls, because if you can't draw a run fit, then you probably shouldn't be talking about play calls, right, But the discourse has changed. Last year, he was a head coaching candidate. This year folks want him fired. And all of those things combined are a terrible combination with the third issue, which is their pass protection. Per ESPN Pass block data, the Texans have a blown block or a loud pressure on thirty percent of their dropbacks. It's the most in the NFL. The Patriots are second from last and they're at twenty five percent. And we saw how Miami did against that offensive line. If you can replicate that pass rush in this game, you're gonna run away with this game and reset some serious narratives about the Dolphins. On Sunday, I think about where those struggles come from. We've seen Chop really spearhead the pass rush these last five or six weeks. We will run sim pressures off the overload side and invite these doubles and slides for isolation on Chop, like he's having that big of an impact as a rookie, but in this game, he's gonna get Titus Howard for most of the game, and that's Houston's I mean, I guess it's their second best pass protector, but.
Speaker 2: They've only got one good one.
Speaker 3: Larrymy Tunzel is kind of unbeatable, but he's the only guy that can do it out there, and he will draw some flags here there, So hopefully tuns Wi comits a couple of penalties against us and gives us that win, but he's gonna beat most guys that he faces. I would honestly just throw Augby out there and kind of like, hey, go occupy Touns. I'll make sure he's got you to deal with. Now with Howard on Chop, I pulled up his tape and he does some a really good job of shortening the runway the way I talk about Tron Armstead on speed rushers, but he also like really exposes his inside gate. And Chopp has shown the ability to win with speed, to convert that speed to power, and to crash inside, especially on pass rush games. I think you can get a little creative here. If you guys saw the Chop breakdown on HQ or on YouTube wherever the hell exists in our content, or rather, I think I think it comes out tonight. Actually I showed a lot of the plays where they overload the offenses left, you know, the side that he's not on, and let Chop go one on one off the offenses right, and then they squeezed, you know, every rusher besides Chop and he gets himself a one on one situation with a two way go where he has that B gap and the C gap to work with as a pass rusher. And there's often a very large lane in that B gap, especially with how they have to contend with Chop speed around the edge, because he can he can stretch that edge and then angle back and be effective opposed to some rushers who just go past the quarterback and can't angle back, and that makes that tackle set deeper, and it creates a bigger B gap for someone like Zach Seeler, who I would say is the best slanter among defensive tackles in the NFL, with how he could cross face from like a one technique position, cross face into that guard and then he kind of hooks them there and just plays right through them with his engagement of power and just you basically walk them back into the quarterback. Now, this does open up some vulnerabilities to the quarterback run if you do that. But guess what, that ain't CJ. Stroud's game. I think we have the athletes to come from depth to stomp it out, whether it's Jordan Brooks or Javon Holland, so kind of some keys within the keys create one on ones. For Zach Seeler as a pass rusher, chop really helps you do this, and you're sim pressure like simp pressure the crap out of him. With defensive linemans falling back into the hook zone. That has caused a lot of confusion on their mesh and crossing concepts to get their man beater looks and just around out the offensive line here with their pass block efficiencies. Tunsel is elite ninety eight point five. I think they'll go with Juice Scruggs, who has a ninety seven point three, and Kenyan Green could be the guy back in that position is he's active for his twenty one day window, but he has a ninety one point seven pbe so beat the crap out of the left guard whoever it is. Jarrett Patterson ninety eight point five, but he's not a really good pass protector inside shack Mason's long in the tooth ninety six point one at right guards a very low number, and then Titus Howard ninety six point five. We have to win this part of the matchup. Chopp has to take Titus Howard to school, and Zach Seler has to win his one on ones against inferior pass blockers. If we can dominate like I think we can against those guys, we will win this game. Let's go ahead and take our first break right there. Come back on the other side do the third big thing against the Texans defense. We'll also talk about the offense, the range of outcomes, prediction, and much much more. Next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. These big games tend to cause more study and more notes from me because I try to find how the Dolphins can find victory, and every damn time I wind up disappointed. Hopefully this time it's different because, as I mentioned on the podcast yesterday, oh by the way, by the way, quick cutoff, because I just forgot about it. I picked the Rams to beat the Niners tonight on Thursday night football, Rams over Niners, and yeah, to my point that I cut myself off on. If you win this game, you then get the rest of the Sunday slate to have games that matter for the Dolphins. You get a big Thursday game that matters for the Dolphins, you get two Saturday games, and you get another one o'clock slate with games that matter before you play the nine Ers at four twenty five on Week sixteen. So please win this game for the sake of the next week of football to be a lot of fun and just to keep us going right. Thing Number three to beat this Texans team is to spam the intermediate middle and the curl flat.
Speaker 2: What the hell does that mean?
Speaker 3: Between the numbers in the ten to nineteen yard range and the curl flat zone which is about ten yards downfield outside of the numbers. Those are the areas we have to really concern ourselves with against Houston offense. Run the ball to the wide, to the perimeter, to those curl flat areas, and then throw the ball in the intermediate part of the field that has been displaced because of the linebackers stretching their way to get after the run.
Speaker 2: Game Downhill.
Speaker 3: Stroud rips the middle of the field as much as anybody in the NFL, but there has been more mistakes this year than there were last year. I mentioned these seven interceptions of his nine coming in the middle of the field, and they're mostly misfires where he just flat out misses his guy. Can we get like one of those? Can we get a quarterback that just misses his target and we get a room service pick? Can we get a pick like we had or the opportunities we had against the Jets where both Braylan Allen and Jeremy Ruckert basically bump the volleyball to know Kendall Fuller's direction and we can't make a play on the football. Can we just get one of those in one of these games and like steal a possession and the steal seven points Like that would be cool. Remember the Packers stole seven points from us on the muff punt, Like, can we get that just one time?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but pressuring this guy long down in distance make him uncomfortable. If we can do that and get a takeaway or two, I think that's all our offense would need to get the best of this matchup. So all of these kind of you know, playoff of one another, play the run with light boxes, get them behind the sticks, try to confuse Stroud as much as you possibly can into a double clutch. Then we get forty four off the edge, ninety two inside and those one on one chances in the past rush game while you flood the middle of the field with your backers and your safeties and possibly Jalen Ramsey. And the reason I put Ramsey in there, I don't think.
Speaker 2: That we will be the shadow idea.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe we put that in the trash bind for a while, because you know, I add Ramsey in there because quite frankly, I don't have a lean on how you should call it. I think some of those wide open receivers last week were because of the way you shadowed on Garrett Wilson and it caused confusion elsewhere, which those guys got it up their game as well. Cater Kohoo, Javon Holland. I'm a little more inclined to have Ramsey playing a lot more inside, to have him impact the run and the rush game, because he can do that as well as cover. You can blitz him more, but also just be present in those positions to take away their bread and butter. Like maybe some Charles Woodson type of stuff.
Speaker 2: This week. I don't know. I trust Weed to cook it up.
Speaker 3: I think Ramsey does match up better on Collins than he did on Wilson because Collins's game was a little bit more physical than shifty, and Ramsey is probably the most physical cornerback in the league who kind of got burnt on Wilson's shifting us a few times. Tank Dell hasn't been as effective, but he is their deep threat and he's had games that he's gone off in, so I think you can always look for ways to sort of bracket or funnel him, and hopefully your pressure can help negate his ability as well, because of how much you can force Stroud to not be able to step up into one hitch opportunities to take his shots down the field. We just have to do that and we have to be better on backs and tight ends this week in coverage Schultzen Mixon, they can make you pay in that regard. They're better than the Jets guys were, and those guys beat us pretty good. So to me, it's a huge game for Ramsey, for Holland, for Brooks, for Sealer, for Campbell, and for Chop. I mean, that's kind of all the you know Kendall Fuller as well. Kind of the good players in the defense right now, Can we just get enough from the other guys and give these players opportunities to go change the game defensively parts. I just want to mention John Metchi, an electric player, and he desires to be talked about here, even though his numbers are pretty much non existent this year. I just want to mention him because he is a good football player, and without Stefan Diggs, you'd think they go to him more often, but they have not done that so far. Let's pivot here, quick pivot way. There is more talking about this Texans defense against Tua Tongueo vay Lowa and the Dolphins offense. Remember what we said about the Jets. It's similar in a sense. I think the Jets adjusted what they did against us, and probably do in large part to not having Sauce in that game. But up front you can almost replicate it here. One gap, get upfield, try and backdoor those stretch and outside zone runs. Go with blitzes and the sim pressures and critical and obvious passing downs. Now where it's different is in the coverage. The Texans do not play two man zero percent this year two man coverage. Now, will they go to it and surprise us? Maybe they had the byeway to install that and they could do that. You can never count it out, but I would be surprised if they do. They live in nickel eighty six percent. They run their base about seven percent and dime about six percent, so it's basically a nickel defense and they run a lot of big nickel. Four of their top six snap takers on defense are safeties. Their calling card is quarters coverage. What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Four high?
Speaker 3: You know, four defenders take a deep quarter of the field. They run that at the third highest rate in the league, and they can do some match from there. So it's like show quarters and play man. So it's tricky to decipher, but again, our quarterback is good at that. They also love to mix in Cover three, which is of course a defender in each deep third of the field. They have some Cover six, which is a deep quarter, a deep third and a deep third, so all ways to keep the roof on top of the defense. They can change the complexion of how it looks and how they present it on a given play. But that's kind of where their coverage gets its wins because they're personnel back there. It's not great, and it's a lot harder against the quarterback who sees things like Tuas. So they want to confuse you with their coverage and then beat you with their pass rush. It's going to be incumbent upon TUA to decipher things very quickly. And who's doing that better than NFL right now than Tuas. So I like our chances in a controlled environment with our very loaded skill group against a team that wants to beat you with disguise. This is the guy you want to have for a game like this. They're twenty three percent usage of man free. We saw Miami carve the Patriots man coverage up right, same with the Jets, and when they got some more looks against the Packers in that way, they went after that in the same same type of approach. I think if they do play man free, they probably attach blitzes to it, and so maybe you can try some of those one hitch deep shots where you get your one on one opportunities. But if they don't come, just beat patient and attack these short intermediate areas. I am curious to see if they do run more of the short stuff for wreak and waddle. It was effective in that game on Sunday, and maybe you give them more to think about with that and basically say, hey, you can play your three high safeties and your quarters coverage, but we're it's gonna run these guys underneath and try to force you out of that.
Speaker 2: How do you attack it?
Speaker 3: Well, you do have to stretch that shell, but you have to have intermediate answers too. I think the key to how this defense runs is kind of what Aziz al Shayer does for them in terms of how he can get deep into the hook but also play downhill and play the width of the field with sheer physicality. He's a tone setter guy that kind of he's kind of bamf right, bad a m effort.
Speaker 2: I think it's a clean podcast.
Speaker 3: I think they'll have a lot tougher time defending the middle of the field without him, as well as playing the run with lighter boxes. We heard Tamiko Ryans call him the heart and soul of their defense. Maybe he's just trying to rally the other guys, but that seems like a big loss to me. So in those looks, I think it's paramount to win with the other guys, right, guys not named Reek and Waddle. Now, I think we did a good job of getting those guys underneath routes on Sunday, But I fully believe either guy could have a big game with out a ton of targets just by how they lift the coverage, like go be a decoy if you have to go block off the edge. For us, the key is going to be keeping the menu open and not let those pass rushers id their one on one matchups and play super convicted. You have to give them eye candy and keep their discipline and check. The number one thing I look for against this Houston defense is to neutralize Daniel Hunter and Will Anderson. Much easier said than done, and my rally cry for just about three years now has been that there is no scheme in quarterback that mitigates good pass rushers like this one. We've played games against Max Crosby, against Parsons and DeMarcus Lawrence, games against Mac and Bosa and never really let any of those guys wreck games. We have the best quick game in the NFL, for my money, one of the game's best ball handlers in the quarterback. In the run and screen game, and does a great job of making run and play pass look all the same. And we typically cook up our shots with max protect that can make the quarterback really trust his protection. Sunday will be the biggest test in that regard.
Speaker 2: This season.
Speaker 3: We have to take Hunter and Anderson out of the game some way. Screen them to death, run rap, run return rap, take fake rap like run it at them, throw it behind them, throw those glances behind them if we get in third and lungs. And this kind of goes against every fiber of my football being to say this, but you might just be best uted to play field position. I'm talking third and twelve screens and runs. And you heard DJ Banamy talk about it on the show yesterday. Tua was probably gonna get sacked a couple times in this game. Let's not let those sacks flip the field or you know, produce turnovers and end the game. I thought Lamb and Paul were really good on Sunday, but this is a whole different test for these guys. Lamb I think can do enough to win his one on one matchup when he gets them. And while I think Pat's good reps are as good as they come, he still is a rookie learning the game who can kind of click his feet together sometimes and not get his weight transfer sorted. I think that that's something that guys are going to try to take advantage of and overset him and cross face where they burst out of the gate, get him to take a vertical set cross face and beat him back inside and he either grabs on hold or just misses all together. He has to know that they've seen that on tape and they're going to attack it, And then Tua also has to be aware of that and understand the escape routes he has off of that, they could overload that and blitze it and cause that issue. So he scrambles into the blitzer. But I think he's capable of getting out of some of this pressure himself and extending himself. And you can't really forecast this, but you just kind of hope the way Hunter gets his wins over there that maybe you don't get the additional interior win at the same time, Like this is just like total by chance, but maybe Hunter's wins come when Deniko Autry gets blocked up on the inside, you know, and Tua has such a good feel for pressure to get away from one win, but if it's multiple wins, that's obviously very difficult to overcome. I trust two us pre snap. He's one of the best in the game. I think the run game is so paramount for us to stay ahead of the chains, keep the whole menu on the table, and really get to our screen game. It sounds like Raheem should be good to go. I think this is a good game for him to get a nice little workload, especially our wide zone runs where he can stretch it and bang it and sort of soften up those edges. I think we need a more physical presence this weekend. And I trust him right now more than I trust Jalen Wright, just because I think Rice missing some assignments here and there. So Tua needs to be super sharp. You have to play your best game of the year. Probably Tua need a screen game to be cranking. A Chan and John, who I think are gonna have a lot of targets this week compared to last week, and I think Raheem has to have one of his best games of the season. Hunters a seven twenty five percent player, Anderson right around seventy percent, so there is a rotation there. I think you have to be super privy to their plays off, like when we take Campbell and Steeler off the field and teams run the ball down our throats. Like if you see one of those guys, check out, call your shot, play and don't just wait until it's third and seven and those guys are rearing to go, and let them just pin their ears back. Deniko Autry is the guy inside and plays a lot on the edge as well. But I think it really thins out after that. So maybe you can get those guys conditioning tested here. Maybe they have they should have rested legs, but sometimes that can that can be the opposite for you off a bye week and really make them run. Guys like Derek Barnett out there and and Tim Settle and get deep into that rotation. I think Barnett's not you know, he's pretty long in the two of these days and yeah, is he is he even healthy right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think he's up and going shoot. I probably should check that out.
Speaker 3: Inside though, it's really space eaters and not pocket pushers, Like Tim Settle is their nose and he's just a tree trunk. Follo Fotacasi has some wiggle, but I think you can. That's a matchup you're gonna have to win. And then Mario Edwards is more power, you know, a three to five technique subtype of rusher. It's such an interesting matchup because typically our tackles are the matchup erasers. But obviously Austin's down probably will not have Tron Armstead and the Texan strength is off the edge too, So I think if we can hold the four inside, we should be okay. Fun matchup, last break right there, come back on the other side. Take a look at keys two and three of Varsu Texans defense, the range of outcomes, what's at stake, the prediction, the keys to victory, all of that coming your way. Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by AutoNation. So close to prediction time. What do you think I'm gonna say about this game? Take advantage of the Texans aggressiveness and push the ball downfield is my second key for the Dolphins offense. I am really curious to see how they play us. You heard djb Enemy talk about how they play it. They want to span the middle of the field, they want to get to their blitz looks on third and lungs. They want to disguise and rotate their coverage. And what makes me curious is if you're going to camp in that quarter's look and if you blitz Tua, and if you don't have your captain, your middle the field ace in the hole, can you do those things without al Shayir? I mean, Tua is so good at beating it when you have all your guns. And we've seen Reek run through many a quarter's looks for long touchdowns, you know, against Philly, against New England last year, a couple of off the top of the head examples of that. And Houston only blitz this twenty four percent of the time. It's below league average, but they time them up so well against you know, vulnerable looks or empty looks, whatever you want to call. It would be a nice week to have some offensive line, the same offensive line combos start and finish the game, just to get that continuity all week. I don't want to have guys coming off the bench and trying to figure out what the Texans are doing.
Speaker 2: In the middle of the third quarter.
Speaker 3: So if they do play those looks, and just based on Demico's comments, I think they will.
Speaker 2: He said, we have the right.
Speaker 3: We have the guys with the right mentality on the edge with Kamari Lassiter and Derek Stingley. We just have to play physical with the Lion of Scrimmage when we get our opportunities. We have to play physical at the Lione Scrimmage toll slow down Tyreek and while two times in one quote he talks about bump and run and disrupting our timing. Now that means we get cracks at defeating the press and getting flybys, but it also means something else, something I thought this entire offseason was all about taking advantage of teams who do that by finding different targets i e. John new Smith. So without al Shaiir, they and that approach of man free. But if they turn their back on the outside releases, like if Tyreek takes an outside release and the cornerback you know, turns and runs with him. That way, it opens up John Whu on the slot screen that we hit for big plays on the overtime drive and he can get rolling after the catch and with the screen game as well, which bodes very well for that first key, right, Like if John Whu is the slot and Riek is the one and he takes the outside release, you remove that cornerback from the equation. You get a one on one block and then it's John u versus a safety or a slot cornerback one on one. That is exactly what he got on those back to back plays against the Jets. The linebacker in for al Shaiir, well, it's thin there, man. It's Neville Hewitt. You know who he is. He's a special team's ace, but playing on defense the entire game, that ain't his game. And also if he does that, are they gonna pull him off special teams? It makes that phase weaker for the Texan. So it's a big loss, a huge downgrade. Not to mention that Henry to Oh to Toto.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna work here anywhere anyway.
Speaker 3: Like those aren't cover guys. So Johnny and a Chan are kind of my clicks to pick this week. I think we're back on that game plan. Then there's the vertical element of it all, Like Derek Stingley is a guy that I f like can match up with anybody, and they feel that way. And if that's how you're gonna play it, you have to say, all right, bet we have Tyreek Hill and Jillen Waddell, and if you're gonna go one on one against those guys, they're gonna beat you. That's how you win big games. Your best beats their best. But that doesn't mean you should go after a willy nilly. I mean, I like Kamari Lassiter, but he's still a rookie, and if you get safety help away from him and he draws ten or seventeen, that's a matchup you have to also like and go after. And then I think there's some slot matchups you can create since they basically bring a safety and I don't like Caden Bollock is a really good deep safety. They like to have Jimmy Ward come down and play some coverage, maybe even a little bit of Jellan Peatree, but for the most part, like they don't really have the cover guys in those positions. I think Miami can create some matchups and go out and win those. My third big key here to execute in the red zone. And it's sort of a shot at our defense. Like the Texans offense has been broken for a while. They couldn't do ish against a terrible Jags defense. But I don't know, man, I don't know Jim just with the bye week and what I think is a bunch of tired legs in this Miami defense and an old Miami defense. I just don't trust us to get consistent stops. And if that's the case, we're gonna need our elite quarterback and our really good skill players to go win the game. We've been pretty damn good in the red zone since Tua came back. In fact, we are fifth with a seventy point five percent red zone touchdown rate. But we did kick two field goals in low red zone last week, and I think that those four point swings will be critical in this game. And perhaps this is just a way of kind of zooming out on a few issues that I have that have held this offense down, and not like in total, but things that could be better. Right, Because over that time, we have the most total trips into the red zone twenty nine. Nineteen of those possessions have ended with a touchdown, and that second behind only Detroit. But we also have seven field goals, which is tied for the tenth most in the NFL. So even with two more touchdowns on those drives would be a big difference, right, That could be eight points in this game. I think that would be the difference in this game. That's what I'm getting at here. If you go deeper into the numbers, we run the ball up the seventh lowest rate down there. And that's not my issue. I love throwing the football. My point is that we've had to dial that back because it just hasn't been that effective. We had that stand against the Packers and the goal line that was the one turnover on downs in that stretch I'm talking about. We missed a third and one against the Jets and kicked a field goal, had to convert a fourth down after a third and one got stuffed later in the game. It's just been a struggle to run the football, but particularly down there, and that's why I think Raheem Moster could be your answer, your red zone answer down here. I don't think eight Chan's vision and physicality is really what you want in that part of the field, like keep them on the field for the screen game. But Raheem should get some some red zone carries this week. In my opinion, if we could just find a way to better execute in short yardage, it would produce such insane ripple effects in terms of making the offense even more dangerous than the top five offense it's been since the Cardinals game. I am fired up. I think we covered it pretty well. What's at stake in this game, guys, the entire season, No big deal, that's all win the whole thing, just the entire season. You know, I vow to not talk about playoffs further if we lose this game. Deal, But I mean, you win this one and you get to really enjoy multiple slates of football like I just told you about, all the way through next Sunday into the four to twenty five slate. If we win and the Colts win, then a big door opens as another path of the playoffs. The Texans losing to the Chiefs and Ravens very possible in my opinion, would mean the Colts are just wins over the Jags, Titans, and Giants away from taking the division away from the Texans. Should they lose those games, I think they will lose. I do think the Colts will get picked off once in there. But man, if they beat Denver, we get all of that and the one o'clock window for the Niners game before we get to put the season back on the line against the Niners next week, so it could be a really fun like celebration for a week after this victory if we get it. So, Dolphins, please pleasease do the damn thing. I've watched every big game this team has played live, like on TV or in person since two thousand and four. That's twenty years. We've had some big wins, the Jets finale in eight the win in Buffalo in twenty sixteen on Christmas Eve, the Cowboys last year certainly up there, but those have been so far and few between, and while I think the Texans team is better than all those teams sans the Cowboys at home last year, those were win and in situations, we have to win this one just to have the right.
Speaker 2: To go another week.
Speaker 3: So please, for a twenty year watcher of every game, for a fan of thirty plus years, someone that hasn't seen a playoff win for that twenty year span, someone that dedicated his entire life and career and moved his family to South Florida, I implore you on behalf of Dolphin's nation. Please come on, guys, I beg of you get this win.
Speaker 2: Please. You must excuse me. I've grown quite.
Speaker 3: Were as we all have range of outcomes. I don't think we know show in this game. I don't. It's not primetime, it's indoors. It's not a team that I think is anywhere. You're the caliber of the teams we've seen in those spots, the Bills, Chiefs, and Packers. But my heart won't let me go there. I like the matchup on tape. That offense has been broken for months. I worry they get it sorted out against a thin, tired, old defense that seems to be on his last leg this year. I trust Tua to keep it close and to get us our points. If we can win in the margins on special teams, those third and twos, those little moments that can extend drives and swing games, then I think we will win. But wouldn't I be a fool to predict that to suddenly change. I think a Texans comfortable win is within the range of outcomes. I could see us winning by a touchdown or even ten points, but I think the difference will be split there. I think it'll be a good game. I think that they'll make a play at the end that beats us. Probably on offense, we have struggled to get second half stops for a while now, and I think that's a direct correlation with our lack of depth on defense. And I think we'll have a lead on the final drive for the Texans and they'll break your heart with a field goal or a touchdown. Twenty nine twenty seven. Texans win this game. Keys the victory and capitalize takeaway opportunities. Number two, set hard edges against the Houston ground game Number three, stay ahead of the chains on offense. You all please be sure to subscribe, rate review the show, give me a follow on social. Check out the fish Tank podcast with my guys Seth and Juice Jamie Nails.
Speaker 2: Episode is Nails.
Speaker 3: Check out the YouTube channel for Dolphins HQ, Zach Steeler, my guest tonight on the show, as well the Chop Robinson Breakdown and DJ Banname's interview as well. Last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com. Until next time, Ben's up, Caroline and Cameron Daddy
Speaker 2: He's coming home.