Speaker 1: Flagship cameras shoot out Samsung Galaxy S nine versus iPhone ten versus Pixel two, Amrich damiro and this is Rich on Tech Daily.
Speaker 2: Okay, see, you can't see the pictures.
Speaker 1: That I took, but at least I can describe to you how each camera performed. Recently, I had the Samsung Galaxy S nine in hand along with the iPhone ten and the Pixel two.
Speaker 2: I took a bunch of pictures in.
Speaker 1: A variety of situations to see how these smartphone cameras perform.
Speaker 2: And let's start with low light.
Speaker 1: This is really the big differentiator between all the smartphones that I test. Those low light situations like being out at a restaurant or in a dimly lit room, that's when these cameras struggled to take good pictures. I feel like the Google Pixel does the best job, so I want to see how the S nine does.
Speaker 2: And I can tell you that the iPhone kind.
Speaker 1: Of took the most washed out picture of the bunch. It even looks a little grainy. Pixel did much better with the photo with the clarity, but it kind of has this unnatural hue to it, where the S nine struck a really nice balance between the colors and also the graininess of the picture.
Speaker 2: So I think that one kind of won it all. Right. Now, low light selfies, we moved on to.
Speaker 1: I took a bunch of pictures in the studio here at KTLA, and these are really tricky because on the iPhone you notice that the low light selfies kind of looked like a water color painting. And the first one we looked at is the iPhone. It had a lot of contrast to the color and if you look there's a lot of hot spots and a lot of dark spots. Don't think it did very well. The S nine did much better on the color.
Speaker 2: Of the photo.
Speaker 1: But I thought that the selfie was kind of blurry, something I see over and over. I think Samsung needs to improve on that. But the pixel really nailed this one. If you're familiar with the Google Pixel, it does a really nice job on selfies. They are like the sharpest I've ever seen. Next up, I moved outside to take that all important flower close up picture. All the cameras took a really nice picture of the flowers. The pixel was kind of the darkest, the S nine was the brightest. The iPhone seemed to strike the nicest balance. Then we moved onto a blurry style portrait background photo. Now here's the deal. The iPhone ten is the only one out of the bunch that actually has two lenses to accomplish this.
Speaker 2: So this is not.
Speaker 1: Necessarily necessarily a fair comparison because the pixel is doing it with one lens and the S nine plus is or the S nine is doing it with one lens. You'd have to get the S nine plus to get the dual lens set up. But I will tell you all three of the cameras took amazing portrait photos. The iPhone kind of applied the most contrasts, but it looked really nice. Pixel two had a more muted approach to the skin tone, while the S nine of course had that vibrant look that Samsung is known for, but it kind of blurred out the body of our subject. Got our face in focus, but the body was a little blurred. That's probably because it was doing it with all software. All right, Now we move to landscape, and I'll tell you that the landscape pictures from all three looked really really good. Lots of detail in them, lots of contrast. Of course, the grass was much more vibrant in Samsung S nine picture panoramic shots. They were all fantastic. It's a little bit different for the pixel because it kind of makes you follow a bunch of blue dots on the screen to take your picture, versus the S nine and the iPhone you just move your camera left to right. I think they all looked fantastic. The only thing is I noticed a little bit of the stitching visible in the iPhone picture. Finally, let's see what else do we have here. We've got outdoor selfie. So the selfies were interesting. I think the S nine provided the best overall looking photo, but I think the iPhone it's a little contrasting, and it's also a bit more close up than the others. I think the iPhone has a little work to do on the selfies as well. All Right, Finally is the indoor group shot. And this one's really tough to get because most of the time with the indoor group shots, it's someone's blinking or someone's not looking at the camera. In our case, I think that let's see here, the S nine totally blew it. It took a blurry picture altogether, but the colors are really nice. The iPhone shot looks really nice from a far but if you zoom in, there's a lot of details that's sort of lost in the faces. But the skin is much more warmer than the other two photos. I think that the pixel got the clearest shot, but again, the colors are kind of cold. You notice that over and over with the pixel, very cool looking colors on the pixel, and that's a preference if you like that or not. All right, So my conclusion, I think you're gonna be very happy with any of these cameras. The iPhone ten definitely loses detail in those low light situations, and the pictures looked a little more washed out, but it's a very nice shooter.
Speaker 2: Ninety nine percent of the time. Pixel two this takes.
Speaker 1: The clearest shots of the bunch, but the photos almost have like a clinical look to them. They're like two perfect sometimes, and the shots always have a cool tone.
Speaker 2: To them, which not everyone might prefer.
Speaker 1: They S nine, I gotta say, I think this thing is performing really nice in almost every situation. Samsung last year made a big deal about the auto focus on their front facing camera, but I'm not sure that that works all the time. I do find over and over with the Samsung devices that the front facing selfies are a little blurrier than the other phones that I test, so maybe they need to look into that all right. If you want to see all these pictures side by side, now that you heard me describe every single one of them, just go to the website. It's rich on tech dot tv. Look for the camera comparison. And thanks so much for listening to this podcast. Be sure to rate it on iTunes so more people discover it. Thanks so much for listening.
Speaker 2: Have a great day. Bye bye.