Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirchen. I'm his son, Jeff Kirchen and another episode Locked and Loaded, Dad, And I'm seeing you on TV a lot right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been doing a lot lately, Jeff. But before we get to that, listen, I need my watch back. Okay. I've gone now two weeks without my watch. I left it at your house. And Jeff, look, I'm not some anal retentive idiot who you know, has to know what time it is every second of the day. But I've gone two weeks without a watch, and I'm It's not like I'm useless without him, and I have a little trouble without it. Do you wear a watch every day.
Speaker 1: Every single day? But I wear an Apple Watch, so it also gives me like text notifications and calls, and it also alerts me if I were to be butt dialing somebody, which maybe that I could help you out there, because you have a tendency to butt dial everybody. My biggest fear is not that you butt dial me or my wife Emily, or your son in law Mark. Now I think you're gonna butt dial Johnny Bench or cow Ripken Jr. Ken Griffiths Jr. You know, like you're gonna butt dial one of them. They're gonna say, Tim, I heard your pocket for twelve minutes. You left me a voicemail.
Speaker 2: Right, What does this have to do with my watch? Does your ass to watch tell time? Also? Yes, it's a watch. I just want something to see what time it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it tells time, but you gotta charge it every night. And that's a lot of technology for you to handle.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The only reason why I would have known that you were missing your watch was I overheard a conversation. I was on the phone with Mom and you popped into her car and said, sorry, I'm looking for my watch, and you were looking, I guess in her car for your watch. And then I was cleaning your bedroom. We just call it Popop's bedroom, right, the one in the front of the house when you're here recording the podcast, right, And there it was hanging out underneath the bed. It was it had fallen off of the end table and bounced underneath.
Speaker 2: The bed right at Jeff, I am a bit of a stickler, as you know that if you have clocks in your house, they should work and they should be on the correct time. I mean, I don't have to be like within thirty seconds of every other clock. I'm not that stupid. I'm just does it bug you at all that in Kelly's house, Kelly and Mark have this gigantic clock and they haven't changed to to you know, eastern daylight time. It's still an hour off. Am I wrong about this? Dan? Dan?
Speaker 1: That's always I think they moved from Chicago. I'm pretty sure their clocks are still in Central.
Speaker 2: Time, but they moved here four years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they didn't even have the same oven they have here there, and that one's on Central Time too, all right.
Speaker 2: I'm just curious of our listeners and our viewers feel the same way that I do. Now Again, I can be a bit excessive, you know, when the clock's really whether clocks go forward or the clocks go back. The first thing I do when I wake up in the morning is reset the clocks. Do other people do that? Or is this is this something I need to stop doing?
Speaker 1: Now? Dad, I'm the same way, and I think it's the father son in me. And the other day we lost power and so it was only for like thirty seconds. I started resetting my clocks. My microwave my oven, and then we lost power again for thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: My wife looked at me and said, why didn't you just wait? Couldn't you wait? Like I mean, there was only two minutes in between, Dad. I went upstairs. I made sure everybody's safe. I had a flashlight and the boom they came on, and I.
Speaker 2: Went, beepep beepepeep peep.
Speaker 1: And I reset it because it was off by you know, twelve hours, because it was now reset to midnight. Dad, I'm with you. We're pathetic, all right. There's a decorative clock in my basement. I always set it to the right time.
Speaker 2: Jeff. We're both in a deadline business. I've been in one my entire life. I worked on deadline at the newspaper business for thirteen years. Story is due at ten pm, eleven thirty, twelve thirty. If it's not in, it's late and we've missed the addition, you can't be late now that I do also do TV. You know, Baseball tonight starts at six o'clock, not six oh five. You have to be ready to do the show. And yes, I've been on TV a lot lately, Jeff, you know, with the trade deadline and all that, plus we kicked off the Little League you know, regional tournament heading towards Williamsport, where you and I will be interviewing Carl Ravage and Todd Frazier. It's gonna be great. And I did double header last Saturday in Bristol and a doubleheader on Sunday, and I'm just captivated by these kids playing baseball. It is so cool. So I can't wait till Williamsport and it's just I just love this time of year, and so do you, right.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's my favorite time of year. In fact, just a couple hours ago, we're recording this episode a little bit later than usual per being busy on ESPN this afternoon, and so I was like, what is going to be on TV at noon? Because I'm home from the morning show and I'm editing our interview for tomorrow, which is Steve Phillips. We'll get into that in a little bit, but I was like, I just need some white noise. And I turn on my TV and thinking, you know, we're gonna have daytime talk shows, no Little League World Series. Regional games are on and it's the best thing ever had. And this sounds cheesy. This sounds corny, but I have such a core memory my daughter McKinley, your granddaughter will be two on August tenth, and I remember bringing her home from the hospital and sitting there watching game after game after game holding my newborn baby of wall to wall coverage on ESPN of the Little League World Series, and I will never forget that. It sounds silly. And then the greatest wife in the world let me leave with only a six day old in order to go up and see you, and I brought my father in law with me for his very first time. I mean talk about the greatest. The only thing greater was my buddy. His wife let him buy golf clubs with a two week old. That was by far the biggest win I've ever heard in my life. There's no better wife in the world than my buddy's wife, Meg. I was shocked, shocked. And then when my wife Emily found out how much he sold his current clubs for, she said, well, maybe we should just sell your clubs. And I'm like, and get new ones. And I had to let her know too, they're fitted, they're fit for me. I don't think anybody wants my clubs at all, they're going to be very disappointed.
Speaker 2: So, Jeff, the Little League was great. One of the games I did featured a Maryland team, and we, of course are from Maryland, Montgomery County, Maryland. I love it that you live now in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. What are the chances of that? So the town that is right next to us, Germantown. That team made it to Bristol, Connecticut for the regional and it was so cool because Grayson Greenbomb, the number twelve hitter for the Germantown team, is the great nephew of Bernie Greenbaum, who is a childhood friend of mine and my dentist. So we had such a purse. I was so familiar. All these kids go to school like five minutes from where we live or where you used to live. I mean, we had kids that go to Lakeland's Park and mary Nazareth. It was just like, I know, I don't know any of these kids other now than Grayson Greenbaumb, But it was really really cool to see kids from this close hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably Kingsview kids where I went to middle school or Ridgeview, two different middle schools I went to. That's so neat to have that local shout out.
Speaker 2: And I talked to the coach, and you know, the coach went to Churchill right around the corner, and he said, my kids are going to Queen's Orchard, which is where you and Kelly went to school. So it was really really cool. Plus there was a Washington DC team in there, and they had a kid named Josh Morgan Junior. He is the son of Josh Morgan, who played eight years in the NFL. Josh Morgan Junior Jeff is five eleven, one hundred and sixty five pounds, is the fastest kid on the field, and he is eleven years old. And I could say without hesitation, he is the biggest, strongest, most incredibly athletic eleven year old that I've ever seen. And his first two at bats he hit two triples in which he ran around the basis so fast no one on the field could beat him in a race. And he's bigger by far than anybody else on the field. It was just stunning to see a kid who was that big. I said, who is that and one of the coaches said, that's my son. He's eleven, Jeff. He was way taller than the second base umpire. He's the short stop standing right next to the second's umpire, and it was like a man among boys. It was incredible. I loved it.
Speaker 1: Alan barrassing. Was it when you were umpiring? I know this happened to me when I was umpiring. When the catcher would stand up in a twelve U game and you can't see what's going on on the field. Yeah, all the time. It happens to me.
Speaker 2: It happened all the time to me. So yes, big kids, little kids are everywhere, and as you know, Jeff, at the Little League World Series and in the regionals. I just love to read the bios of all the kids. You know. My favorite bio is the kid who wrote years ago he wrote what dinosaur has the best vocabulary answer the fsaurus, which I still think is one of the funniest things I've ever heard. A twelve year old told that joke. So in these bios I found a kid named Kayden McCarthy who plays for the Massachusetts team, which is really good, and he is like an alpine skier, Jeff, like a very accomplished alpine skier who like competes all over the country. He's twelve years old, and it said in the bio. I didn't get a chance to ask him, but he practices by skiing on glaciers. Sounds a bit sounds a bit dangerous to me, but apparently he's great at it. So these little bios that that just tell you a little bit about these kids. I think is so cool. And one of his teammates was Logan Needle and Ee d l E. And his nickname and it took me a second to figure this out. His nickname is Haystack, which I needle in a haystack. I thought that was that was pretty clever. Now, Jeff, Harry Clever, I have a question for you. Each kid has to put down his favorite celebrity. Okay, so we have Kevin Hart, We've got a ton of Adam Sandlers. And I'm just asking for a ruling here, Jeff. I'm not trying to be critical or flippant or anything else. But one of the kids put down Joey Chestnut. Asked now, is Joee chesnut A Does he belong on that list?
Speaker 1: I'll give it to all.
Speaker 2: Is he a celebrity? Sixty five hot dogs?
Speaker 1: It's he is very talented, He's a record holder. I would say celebrity status for sure.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well I asked this on the air, and Mark Brown, the play by play guy, kind of looked at me and like I was an idiot and said, of course he's a celebrity. So nothing against Joey Chestnut. I just found it odd. You know, you got Jackie Robinson, You've got Adam Sandler, you got all these people that you love, and here comes Joey Chestnut. I got a kick out. But let's put it that way.
Speaker 1: Joey Chestnut, Adam to the list producers of the guests we want to get on, along with Lynn Manuel Miranda. All Right, I'm looking at the hypothetical producer. I'm just writing down myself as we.
Speaker 2: Know, Jeff, you are the producer, the director too, here right, the creative, the technological wizard, everything.
Speaker 1: All right, So our board meetings, everybody thinks some schizophrenic.
Speaker 2: Anyway, right, okay, Jeff, So those are my quick you just thoughts about Little League. We're for regionals, We're going to the world series soon. It's going to be absolutely great.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's going to be Dad. I'm so excited. It's the most exciting time of the year. If you happen to be down at Williamsport and you're going to be a part of the weekend. Make sure to come see us at the game change or tent on Monday, August eighteenth. It's going to be an absolutely incredible week. But that's when we're going to be out there. We're going to be doing an exclusive pin drop and I have an example of that. If you're watching on YouTube right now, you can see that. And we'll also be giving you an opportunity if you can't be out at Little League, to win some pins as well. All right, Dad, the trade deadline now, granted it was last week, but now we're kind of seeing the chips all fall and I wanted to kick off the takeaways. Are you okay with that?
Speaker 2: Yes? And let's be clear, Jeff. Another reason that we're looking at the trade deadline. As our guest on Wednesday, Steve Phillips is a former general manager who told some fascinating and hilarious stories about what it's like being a general manager, especially at the trade deadline. So yes, we're gonna have you do the takeaways kick off.
Speaker 1: Well as a Philadelphia Phillies fan, and we don't hide that away because I think it's important to more or less root for the team of the city you live in, if it doesn't conflict with your childhood, right. And so my wife and I moved here in twenty twenty two, and we really embraced this team as our own because my wife had never lived in a city that had a team. And so that team made a run to the World Series kind of miraculously, and we jumped on the bandwagon, and we've been fans ever since. Their big trade to get closer Joan Duran Duran. The thing I love the most at is First of all, everybody including me, pronounces it a different way. But now everybody in Philly halls him John. Are you familiar with j A w n? So John is a is a slang term in Philly that means any literally anything. This John right here, Look at that John over there. Give me that John. It's just that thing, just any literally anything, right, And so now people are buying shirts that say John j A w N. Duran.
Speaker 2: Really, I had, Jeff, I have so little idea about so many things. I had no idea that was a slang term in Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: Look at this John exactly. Yeah, it's it's a big it's a big slang term, and people use it here all the time, and I've even caught myself using it occasionally. However, Dad, I have to say, he has had two appearances as of Monday as the Philadelphia Phillies closers. First was on the very first game he was eligible to play in. Came into the ninth inning. The Twins had given the PA wreckaging all of the audio, video elements and all that stuff to the Phillies to be able to use. He came in with an absolute insane crowd insane intro, the coolest intro in Major League Baseball, I believe, maybe next to Edwin diz Right, that's a really cool one too. And then he closes it out on four pitches. Then he comes up again on Sunday Night Baseball with our boy Kyl Ravitch on the call, Eduardo Perez David Cohne Buster. Only they get a Sunday night game in Philadelphia against the Tigers, who are crazy good this season too, And he makes another appearance and gets three outs, never giving up a hit. Unbelievable. And it's such a great move, Dad, because it's keeping fans in their seats and hoping, Oh my gosh, I want to see him come up. I want to see the intro. I want to be there for it.
Speaker 2: Jeff, I'm all for it. And that Sunday night gave me through twelve pitches, ten of them at one hundred miles an hour or more. So he's not just coming in and firing, he's getting people out, and he's throwing at a rate of speed that almost nobody does. Remember Mariano riveris to enter, I mean to enter Sandman, which was great. And when Trevor Hoffman used to come in for the padres, he would come into Hell's Bells and it was like unbelievable. But Trevor Hoffman's best pitch was a change up. I was amazed that he would come in with this incredible music and then he would throw, you know something at eighty four miles an hour. Now Duran comes in throwing one hundred and two miles an hour, which makes the whole walk up even greater and more powerful.
Speaker 1: Agreed, Yeah, agreed, And you know the whole drama surrounding his number number fifty nine. Are you familiar with what happened here?
Speaker 2: No, I want you to tell me.
Speaker 1: So he came in and I'm sure you have a ton of stories about this, and I'm putting you on the spot. You don't have to have a story right now. But he wanted to wear number fifty nine for the Philadelphia Phillies because that's the number he loves to wear. However, when being traded, he was told, hey, number fifty nine is taken Rob Thompson the manager, and being of his culture and being the man he is, he said, well, no, like I too much respect for the manager. I don't want to take his number. Don't even worry about it. Well, Rob Thompson got w into that and gladly said he'll change numbers, but he did. Rob Thompson did say, I don't have a problem with it, but my wife has a problem with it because now she has to get all new clothing for when she goes to games because she has a bunch of jerseys with fifty nine on it. So as married men, I mean, I could just hear my wife saying, well, don't give it off, and Rob Thompson says, it doesn't mean anything to me, And then he said that. Durant said, I have fifty nine in the bottom of my pool. He has the number fifty nine. Dad in a pool at his house.
Speaker 2: Right, then he can't change that. Every manager in the world gives up his uniform number for a guy who throws one hundred and two miles an hour and it's closing down the ninth inning, it's a no brainer. Sorry to missus Thompson. Your husband did the right thing, no doubt.
Speaker 1: So what other takeaways do you have, Dad, that you want to bring up? Thanks for letting me go down my rabbit hole, right.
Speaker 2: Just a couple. The Brewers are really good, Jeff. Someone asked me today who's the best team in baseball? I mean, it's really hard to answer these days, but I think the answer is Brewers. They've outscored their opponents through Sunday by one hundred and nineteen runs, biggest run differential. They just played a three game series against the Nationals and in three games they scored thirty eight runs and got fifty six hits in three games. It's unbelievable. And their pitching is really good. Their manager is really good. They have some elite defensive players. Boy, I really like where the Brewers are right now. Again, they've never won the World Series. They have a team that might be good enough to do that. This year because I'm just not sure there's a great team out there. Phillies can win the World Series Matt's Cubs, Dodgers, Padres, but the Brewers are in that group and that that's really saying something right now.
Speaker 1: And did you see that in that series against the Nationals, every single starter in every single game reached base safely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is boy. You've been doing some nice research here, Jeff. I'm proud of you. You've been reading.
Speaker 1: About if you're going to have that or not.
Speaker 2: All right, last thing, Jeff, the Red Sox are hot too. Through Sunday. They won five games in a row, allowed eleven runs total in those five games, or only three games back up Toronto. And as Alex Corus said, this team is playing with an edge. Now you can see it now. We've heard that before. Remember this team won ten games in a row and then kind of fell off a little bit, and then people were all upset they didn't do anything at the trade deadline or didn't do enough at the trade deadline. But again, Jeff, the American League is wide open. There's no reason that the Red Sox can't win that division because all the races other than of course, the AL Central where the Tigers are running away, all all those races are wide open. It'll be really fine.
Speaker 1: All respect to the AL East leading Toronto Blue Jays, But how if the season ended right now, it would be the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees as wild card teams and the Blue Jays taking the division. I don't think very many people have that coming into the twenty twenty five Jeff.
Speaker 2: This has been one of the craziest years I've ever seen because it has made absolutely no sense, which is these are my favorite years, Jeff, when things happen and you just go, boy, I can't explain this, this is why baseball is so good, And onto the question chef talking about things that you can't explain. So Friday night, the first night after this trade deadline, it was one of the most It was one of the craziest nights in baseball history. I'm not sure there's a way around it. We had three games in which twenty five combined runs were scored. And there's only one other night June twenty third, nineteen thirty, in which there were three games with at least twenty five runs score. It was a crazy night and of course, the craziest night was the Rockies Pirates game that night. Okay, so the Pirates became This was all confirmed by Frank and John. I put both brothers on this one. First team ever, Jeff to score nine runs, get ten hits in the first inning, and in that first inning have a three run homer and a grand slam. So no first inning in the history of baseball has ever included all of those things. And of course the Pirates did all of that, and they lost the game. So the Rockies became the first team ever to allow nine runs in the first inning, allow a total of fifteen or more runs and still win the game.
Speaker 1: And of all teams to do it, the Rockies right, because we expect them to give up nine runs in the first inning to a certain degree, but we don't expect them to come back from giving up nine runs in the first size. So good on that, yes.
Speaker 2: And also in that game, Joey Bart, the Pirates had four walks and a hit batter in a nine inning game, which I found interesting. So I found the last player to walk four times and get hit by a pitch in the same game, so exactly that four walks hard to do. One hit by pitch, all in the same game. It was Bryce Harper in twenty sixteen against the Cubs, Jeff, that was the game he was walked six times and got hit by a pitch. How about that? Now that was an extra inning game, but still they refuse to pitch to Bryce Harper. And I certainly don't blame them for that.
Speaker 1: I love that. Oh right, all right, Collens.
Speaker 2: A couple of lot of things. Jose Al Tuove got his forty first four hit game, okay, and our pal Steve Sparks alerted me. I did not know this. He's never had a five hit game. So he's had forty one four hit games and has not had a five hit game. That does that find? And you find that odd? I mean, he's a great player.
Speaker 1: He's going to a four hit games.
Speaker 2: You figure out, you get forty one games with four hits, you're gonna get a five hit game, and he hasn't done that. Edgar Martinez Hall of Fame, are one of the great hitters I've ever seen, at twenty six four hit games in his career and did not have a five hit game, in part because he walked all the time. But I love that and Jeff, speaking of the Astros. I'm sure I'm repeating this. I think we used this last week, but I just love this so much. Carlos Korea, acquired from the Twins, is now the everyday third baseman for the Astros, and the shortstop now that he's healthy, is Jeremy Payna and they share the same birthday, September the twenty second, So the third baseman and the shortstop on the same team at the same birthday. I mean, what are the odds?
Speaker 1: Isn't it crazy too that it was Payina that replaced Korea in the starting spot right to begin with, and they left right. You don't see that too often.
Speaker 2: Okay, Two more strikeout notes, Jeff, because every week we have strikeout quirtchins because it's a strikeout ear and crazy things happen. So Cal Raley, who's you know, one of the two leaders for the MVP of the American League, had five to five strikeouts the other night. So he is the seventh player this year to strike out five times in a game. There were seven of them all last year, so we're going to get more, I'm sure than last year. The record is there were twelve five strikeout guys in twenty nineteen. This is a record that I still think is in peril, just because the pitching we see is absolutely ridiculous. And our last strikeout note, Ryan McMahon of the Yankees struck out four times in a game for the fifth time this season. The record is seven times by Dick Allen in nineteen sixty five. I want to say that's the record for most four strikeout games in the season. Ryan McMahon has like two months to make sure he doesn't strike out four in a game two more times.
Speaker 1: All right, dad, what do you got for On this date in baseball history today? August the fifth?
Speaker 2: Okay? On this date in nineteen ninety, Joe Morgan and Jim Palmer both were inducted into the Hall of Fame. I was there that day, and it was a biblical deluge. The rain was like nothing I have ever seen, and they had to move inside, so it really took away from the grandeur of the Hall of Fame. But I just love that those two guys went in because they competed against each other and all that. And Jim Palmer, you know, we've been over how great he is a million times, So we won't go over it again. But Jim Palmer once told me the Reds were not the big Red machine until Joe Morgan showed up. So let's be clear. As great as the red were in nineteen seventy when the Orioles beat them, Brooks Robinson had one of the great series ever. When they won back to back in seventy five seventy six, the Reds Joe Morgan was the MVP both leagues and one of the great second basement of all time, at worst, one of the three greatest second basement of all time. And they both went in the Hall of Fame at the same time. On this date. In nineteen ninety nine, Mark McGuire hit home run number five hundred and Jeff I'll never forget being around for McGuire's chase for you know, Roger Maris's record, which people have chosen to no longer pay attention to. Look. I understand some things happened that we didn't know about at the time, but trust me, Jeff, I was there for sixty, sixty one and sixty two and it happened, and it was amazing how great that was. And in nineteen ninety eight he hit a Grand Slam in ninety eight, Jeff and David Howard was his team. And this is the focus and the zone that these great hitters get into. Mark McGuire hits a grand slam. He comes back to the bench and he's like still in this complete trance from this at bat, and David Howard looks at him and goes, wait to go, Mac grand slam, And Mark McGuire comes out of the trance and goes where the bases loaded. He didn't even know because it didn't matter to him. It was his job to do something big there, and he hit a grand slam and wasn't even aware that he had hit a grand slam. I love that all right. On this date in two thousand and seven, Tom Glavin, who was one of our guests on the podcast this year, made us laugh, told us all about hockey. He won his three hundredth game, and Jeff, he is one of six pitchers ever. No one cares about this but me since nineteen hundred to win three hundred games and walk one hundred times as a batter. That's hard to do for a pitcher to walk one hundred times, but only six pitchers have ever won three hundred games since nineteen hundred and also walked one hundred times. Tom Glavin in many ways an underrated pitcher, even though he was on those great Atlanta Brave staffs.
Speaker 1: I would say that people care about that. I thought, when you said, nobody cares about this except for me, you're gonna hit me with He's the only pitcher to strike out three hundred with a V in his last name, with at least six letters in his last name on a cold, sunny day in a domed state.
Speaker 2: Euam, I've had enough people make fun of me for that, all right, Jeff? Birthdays, Bobby, did I strike a chord? Noo? It's okay. Bobby Keelty was born on this date in nineteen seventy six. Jeff. This comes from Bill Chuck, by the way, who's a great one of our great friends. Listens to the podcast all the time as a statistical genius. You should read what he writes on the internet every day, Billy Ball. It's fascinating stuff. So I needed to pull from him what happened with Bobby Keelty in his career. So he played five hundred and ninety nine regular season games. He played three Division Series games, eight LCF games, but he only played in one World Series game in two thousand and seven. He pinch hit for Mike Timlin in the clinching game against the Colorado Rockies. So he pinch hit, he saw one pitch, he hit it for a home run, so he's and then that was the last played appearance of his major league career. Was a home run as a pinch hitter on the only pitch he saw in the two thousand and seven World Series and never took another played appearance in the big leagues. How amazing is that?
Speaker 1: Well that just blows David Ross right out of the exactly because the David Ross thing.
Speaker 2: You know, only guy ever hit a home run in Game seven of the World Series and then retire afterwards. Okay, well that's pretty cool, but Bobby Keelty had no interest in retiring. That just ended up being the last played appearance of his career. Jeff, I gotta be careful with this. It's Carl Crawford's birthday. Carl Crawford was born in nineteen eighty one. He was one of the best Tampa Bay Rays ever. Unbelievably fast, a really really good hitter, and just a dangerous man. So he was a he was a great high school quarterback. But he was a running quarterback, and there was a chance he was going to go play like Nebraska. That's how good he was. So this is I shouldn't tell this, but I'm going to anyway. So as part of a little piece we were doing in spring training back when I got to do all sorts of ridiculous stuff in spring training, Sean Fitzgerald, our producer, said, Tim, we want you to run some pass patterns and we're going to have Carl Crawford throw footballs to you because he was a great high school quarterback. So, Jeff, you know how much I love Look, I'm not a football player. I wasn't good enough and I was way too small. I would have gotten killed. But you know how much I love to run past kitty post right, skinny down out and down, corner routes, posts, all that stuff. So we do this. So I'm running around in the outfield on the baseball field in spring training and Carl Crawford and this is where I gotta be careful. He threw like six of the worst passes I've ever seen. I'm like five yards away from him and he throws it so hard that it just goes flying over my head. After like seven passes to me, he finally threw one that I could actually catch. I really don't think I dropped any of them before that jet, but we just couldn't connect on a pass. And I wasn't exactly running a deep route. I was just running something like a little square out or a little down and in. And finally I was able to catch a pass from Carl Crawford.
Speaker 1: He was a scrambling quarterback day.
Speaker 2: He was a running quarterback, there is no doubt, and I think he proved it that day while he was throwing to me in the OUTPHT and just maybe I was too small of a target for of.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: Elliott Johnson, our friend who did our podcast was Elliott Johnson somehow was watching all of this and he looks at me afterwards and he goes, Carl's arm was a little erratic today. Whether I'm thinking, thank God somebody else saw this. I took the blame for this one. I'm not sure it was my fault. So so yes, I thought passes from Carl Crawford pretty good.
Speaker 1: It's incredible. It's incredible. Well, Dad, before we get to your team, Tim, which we you have just been absolutely crushing it. We have one from a member of the family, someone who emailed us. We get so many of these. In fact, Dad, I've had people who just signed their emails. They'll email about something completely different and then they'll be like, Hey, here's my all condiment team, like just as their signature to the email, which I think is so endearing. John Schnitzer he wrote to us, he said, I love your all whatever teams, so I put together my all ranch slash farm team. So I'm going to read it for you.
Speaker 2: Dad.
Speaker 1: In the infield, you've got Kyle Farmer of the Rockies, you got Spencer Steer of the Reds. Love the first Toro, which is like a bull or you know, for me personally, I was thinking of like the lawnmower, right, isn't that a lot? Did we have a toro growing up?
Speaker 2: Yeah? We did, Yeah, I had. I had the lawnmowing responsibilities of the house taken away because I wasn't very good at it. I think the spin rate of the lawnmower wasn't very good, so I got replaced by the advanced metrics. Go ahead, Dan, I.
Speaker 1: Don't want to make fun of this moment, but A lot of people can relate to this. I know how hard it was for when we all had to, you know, tell your mom Nana, like, okay, you're no longer driving, right, we had to take the keys. But your wife, my mom, when she took the keys of the lawnmower, it was like that, She's like, timp, We're getting a lawn guy. See ya, right, she's a lawyer.
Speaker 2: She wanted me to be like Edward Scissorhands or something, you know, like do with a like all these kicks. Yeah, yeah, all right. What's the rest of the team.
Speaker 1: Ben Rice of the Yankees, and then uh, Jose Cabalero, which is a horseman, right uh. And then the outfield Colton Cowser the Orioles, Mike Trout the Angels, Austin Hayes of the reds Hey, Miles Straw of the.
Speaker 2: Blue Jays, Hayes and Straw Okay.
Speaker 1: Logan oh Hoppy of the Angels, Player Cops farm Yt Pictures, Mike Burrows of the Pirates. Burrows A Burrow is like a yeah, it's a mule donkey bootle. Brian King of the Astro Astros King's Ranch, Tanner Biby of the of the Guardians like a hide Tanner.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Burrow, I can't not tell you the story. I don't think I've ever told you this, But Vicente Padilla pitched in the major leagues for a long time. Was a very good pictures from Nicaragua, and the Diamondbacks went to Nicaragua to sign him, and Buck Showalter went there to sign him, and they signed him like in the middle of a field, and they offered him this money, and he accepted the contract. But he said, because he came to the signing on a borough. Okay, he didn't come in a car. He came in a borough, and he said, I'm gonna I'm gonna need like fifteen hundred dollars more in my contract so I can get someone to take care of my borough. That that's how the signing went. He agreed to the contract, but he needed a little extra money to make sure his borough was well cared for. Is that great or what? Only?
Speaker 1: So is this a great game or what?
Speaker 2: Yes? Exactly? All right?
Speaker 1: Joe, all right, Dad, so big shout out, Thank you John, Thank you John for that great list. What is your team tim list about? To wrap up today's show?
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we had a baseball game at a racetrack the other day in you know, the Bristol Motor Speedway. And you know Murray Cook is the guy who puts together these stadiums. It's unbelievable how they can build a baseball stadium inside of a motor track like that. You know he did everything in England. I've had many long chats with him. Whenever the Major League Baseball goes to a strange site, he comes in and builds a field there to make sure it's a perfectly manicured field so nobody gets hurt. So I know nothing about NASCAR, but I had to come up with the All NASCAR team from Major League Baseball as a tribute to playing a Major League Baseball game at a racetrack. So I looked up all the NASCAR drivers that I could and found baseball players with the same first or last name, Charles. Let's see how many of these you can get. Charles Johnson is my catcher, So who's the NASCAR with the last name Johnson? Jimmy Jimmy? Way to go? All right? Michael Bush is our first baseman. You fill in the blanks. Let's see how good you are? All right?
Speaker 1: Kyle Bus.
Speaker 2: Joe Gordon won the MVP in the American League one year, Jeff Gordon. Of course, Buddy Bell is the third baseman. I don't think you'll ever get this, but I because I don't know anything. But Christopher Bell is a NASCAR driver. Ken Hamlin is our shortstop. Who's the Denny, Jeff, I'm really happy. I'm really proud of you. I grew up watching a guy named Bob Allison play the outfield. You got that one Bobby Allison. So and Bob Allison went by Bob Allison, not Bobby Allison. But yes, there's a NASCAR driver, Bobby Allison. Randy Elliott played for the Giants in the seventies, didn't wasn't very good. But do you know an Elliott? Jeff, You're way better at this than I was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a country music morning show host. I used to go to Las Vegas Motor Speedway all the time. I didn't event it Dover Motors Speedway last year. I know my races all right, Well, I don't.
Speaker 2: Josh Reddick is an outfielder. I've never heard of this guy either. Do you know a Reddick in the NASCAR world? Okay, Tyler Reddick is one of them. Dave Wallace is one of our two pitchers.
Speaker 1: Bubba Wallace.
Speaker 2: Jeff, you are really good at this.
Speaker 1: And I wanted to name if we had a son. We had a daughter, McKinley. If we had a son, I wanted to name him Bubba, and Emily said as a nickname. I said, no, as his legal name, and she about divorced me on the spot.
Speaker 2: She she should have if you gonna go that director. Look, Bubba's a great name. It's just not shouldn't be your It's a great nickname, nothing else. And our last one is Nick Mears. Picture Nick Mears, Casey Mears.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, all right. I wanted to end on a high note there.
Speaker 2: Right, Jeff, you did great. That is our all NASCAR team. Okay, we have another and we'll get all right. Here's what we'll do for for Thursday's episode. Jeff, there's a picture in the major leagues who made his debut this Year's name is Joe Rock. Okay, r O C K. Now, I've already come up with my team, and I'm gonna leave it up to our listeners and our viewers. We're gonna have a competition on Thursday to see who can come up and you have to determine what the the you know what the category is. Joe Rock is the jumping off point for our uh. That will be Team Tim on Thursday. We'll also do from Ozzie to Oral. We'll also do Best of All Tim. We'll have our takeaways Quirk. But tomorrow, Jeff, who do we have? Tell us one more time?
Speaker 1: We have Steve Phillips tomorrow, former Mets general manager turned now into the morning show host on Sirius XM with our buddy Eduardo and also obviously a contributor and analysts to MLB Network and that one. I mean, so many things to look forward to, but talking about Eduardo with Steve Phillips, because Eduardo is as close to this show as you could possibly get. He was our first ever guest, before we even knew what we were doing. He was our guest, and he kicked off this season as our first guest of the regular season as well, him talking about Oh, it was so iconic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was right. And I don't want to ruin anything for anybody, but I'm certainly not making fun or anything or poking net. But Steve Phillips somebody wanted to kill him, but he was the general manager over a trade that he made. We're not going to tell you who the player was, but this was a legitimate thing they wanted to Somebody wanted to kill him, literally kill him based on fantastic a trade that E made. Just tune in tomorrow and he'll tell you the whole story.
Speaker 1: Make sure to listen right here on the feed, Subscribe, follow, leave a rating, share it with a friend, all the good stuff. Thank you so much for listening, and as always, thank you for being a partner of our family.