Speaker 1: The second date of day, we got an email from one of our listeners named Fran, who said she dates a lot, probably more than the average person.
Speaker 2: According to her, was.
Speaker 3: That a brag.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's a brag. If you're having to go out with lots and lots and lots of people, it's like the opposite problem was alone.
Speaker 1: But she says, after thirty five dates over the last six months, she thinks she finally found a guy who doesn't totally repulse her.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 3: Her bar's very high.
Speaker 2: Well, and now he's not calling her back right now. Thel becomes the repulsey and she's on the phone right now, Fran, I love you, you disgust me. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Hey, how are you guys? Friend?
Speaker 3: Oh god, I feel like your proof that when people say you just got to put yourself out there, that it doesn't actually always work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you play out there for years and years and years. Tell us about the guy that you recently met.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I met this guy through the way. We always hate meeting people online dating. Yeah, for sure. His name is Tommy. Okay, okay, he was so handsome and you know, you see a ton of people online that are attractive and you kind of don't think anything of it. But I looked through his photos and he had this one photo of him with two cats that were his cat. It was really sweet because guy's always posting photos of like dogs or like when they're fishing and all.
Speaker 5: This other stuff.
Speaker 4: But it was just really sweet to see something that wasn't that he.
Speaker 2: Posted a totally different animal. This guy is a keeper.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cat guy, it just screams. He's sensitive, he's in tune. He's not like there's no toxic masculinity stuff happening there.
Speaker 2: Like if it was a tiger cat, that would be a red yeah housecat flax.
Speaker 4: So you know, we had some really cute banter back and forth, and finally he kind of dropped a hint like, oh, you know I make he's really amazing homemade enchilada. I know, I know, And he was just like, you know, how would you feel if I made dinner for you and he came over and did.
Speaker 3: It feel too good to be true? Already? He's hot, he's got cats, he cooks for you.
Speaker 4: Honestly kind of, but you know, you also have that thing where you're like, well, maybe twenty seven or eighty times a charm whatever we're at now, and so you're like, we'll see.
Speaker 3: I like your eternal optimism on the date, you know, like to go out on that many dates and keep trying.
Speaker 4: You kind of have to be because I think if you get too jaded, and that's not attractive to people either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true too.
Speaker 2: That's probably where I'm at. I'm guess saying you RSVP'd yes to the enchilada date.
Speaker 4: I did, so you know, I went over there, really cute place, clean another plus, Oh wow, so he makes these enchiladas and I'm watching him cook. There's something so sexy about watching a man cook. And when he knows his way around the kitchen.
Speaker 3: I really like it when they throw a towel like over the side of their shoulder. That's like a saying for me. Oh yeah, and the big chef hats no.
Speaker 4: But I will take an apron though.
Speaker 2: It's not good. Yeah, I'll get you don't need.
Speaker 5: Mustach yeah.
Speaker 2: Style Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: What was the vibe? Like the conversation?
Speaker 4: So it was good, like our banter online was pretty much the same in person, which is always nice. You know, it wasn't awkward and we're chatting back and forth, and of course, inevitably it always comes to the same question, which is, you know, what do you do for a living? And the thing is I work in insurance. That is not a sexy thing to talk about. It's boring.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about insurance?
Speaker 5: It's hot.
Speaker 2: I can show you a twenty page document you have to sign on.
Speaker 3: The bottom, all in nine fonts. So you told them insurance.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, if I'm feeling it out and the vibe is good, I'll usually be pretty honest and be like, my day job is insurance, but I'm also an author and I'm working on a book right now.
Speaker 3: Oh, and that's true, right.
Speaker 4: It is true. Yes, But the problem is they always say, well, what are you working on now? And I am really honest about it, and this is true. I'm working on a collection of all the worst states that I've been on.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, it's a slightly relatable.
Speaker 6: I have a lot of comedian friends, and it's hard to date because girls immediately go, oh, I don't want to end up in one of your jokes on stage, and be like, I don't want to end up in one of your.
Speaker 3: Books, and then don't mess it up.
Speaker 6: Well, that's a lot.
Speaker 2: Of pressure, Brook, It's easy to mess up. Is that the vibe of what happened with Tommy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it really kind of derailed, and you know, we finished dinner. Dinner was great still. But this is the thing I usually will do too. It's like, I don't want to put too much pressure on somebody, especially if you're like invited to their home or whatever. So I made plans already to go and meet up with my friends after we had dinner in a bar and so and I told him that I said, you're more than welcome to come, hoping that he would.
Speaker 3: But you're more than welcome to come isn't always a full invite. It feels like a pity invite. I feel like, you know, I would like to.
Speaker 6: Be invited like that, you know, Like for me, it's like it I don't feel pressured where it's like shooting out if I say no, I'm rejecting her.
Speaker 3: It's interesting.
Speaker 6: It's kind of like, oh, you know what, I don't think this time, maybe next time.
Speaker 3: What did he say?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: He said no? Yeah, And it was really weird and like we had this really awkward hug goodbye, and I really liked him a lot, And yeah, I really just want some clarity because I feel like this is the thing that you can't be mad at somebody for working on something well before you ever.
Speaker 3: Met well and he doesn't have anything to do with him.
Speaker 1: I mean, what was his reaction, because you seem to think that this was the main part of the night where things started to go downhill, Like, tell us more about how Tommy reacted when you told him about the book.
Speaker 4: I got a vibe from him that he just started to like internalize and be like, oh, well, is that why she's on a date with me? Is she really interested in me? Or is this research? You know?
Speaker 3: Well, you should tell him your past the research stage. You're well into the second edit of this thing.
Speaker 6: When he rejected you, you should have just pulled out a notebook and been like.
Speaker 4: Making a note of this for chapter twenty four.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll see once and for all if he does end up in your book. In the book, I don't want to be in that book. Why do you want to be It's the worst experiences, you know what. I'm probably already in her book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Actually we'll come back and we're gonna call Tommy and see if we can get you another date with him when we do your second ate update, Next second update. Top three worst things you could say to a guy on a first date. I'm not who I said I was. Yeah, your dad was better.
Speaker 2: Oh true art, I'm a New York Jets fan.
Speaker 6: Oh you just love mediocrity.
Speaker 3: It doesn't exist, Like they don't really exist.
Speaker 2: They're too embarrassed to admit it. But also not a great idea to tell a guy. I'm currently writing a book about the worst dudes I've ever gone out with. It's pretty dang bad.
Speaker 5: Bro. Is it bad though?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's your first date with her.
Speaker 1: It plays off of the guy's in securities are many. And that's exactly what Franz said when she was out with Tommy the other night, while he was making her in schiladas.
Speaker 2: That moment kind of derailed their entire night.
Speaker 3: But he was a guy that had cats in the photo of his dating profile. He shouldn't have had insecurities. What you know, she understands what I'm saying, right, Does that make sense to you, fran.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, I thought he was more in touch with.
Speaker 3: That perfect just like the vibe of cat dudes give it off like I'm stable. I know who I am.
Speaker 2: Checklist before you buy a cat. I say, that's the vibe, that's the vibe. Yeah, okay, I'll accept that. Okay, nothing toxic about what Brooke just s.
Speaker 5: I don't think.
Speaker 1: Shouldn't have insecurities. All right, Let's see if he agrees with that sentiment when we call him right now.
Speaker 2: You ready to do this, Fran, Let's do it. I hope the cat's answer. Let's give it a try.
Speaker 5: Hello.
Speaker 2: Hey is this Tommy?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You an insecure boy? Tommy?
Speaker 4: What why did you say that?
Speaker 2: I don't see what you thought. No, I thought he wasn't Tommy.
Speaker 6: Sorry. Sorry, we were having a discussion before we called you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's spilled over into this phone call. We're a radio show called Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning.
Speaker 5: Yoh, why are you calling me?
Speaker 2: Good question.
Speaker 1: We're doing this segment called a second Date Update, and one of our listeners asked us to reach out to you because you two hung out the other night, remember, Fran.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he took Encelada's for her, we heard, which is a pretty awesome move.
Speaker 5: How do you know all of this?
Speaker 1: This is straight from Fran's mouth. Well, Frand's mouth, to my ears, to my mouth, why are you looking.
Speaker 2: Everything so strange?
Speaker 3: Frand told us, is what he's trying to say. Yeah, because she's she likes you, she.
Speaker 1: Likes you, and she wants to see you again and is confused why it hasn't happened yet.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, just being honest, it was. It was a little weird.
Speaker 2: Oh weird. Yeah, okay, Well here's the deal man.
Speaker 1: Look, we get emails all the time from people asking us to do these for them. And Fran admitted that she's dated a lot of people and you stood out among all the guys.
Speaker 2: You were different and she really really liked you. And she also wishes that she didn't bring up the book that she was writing.
Speaker 5: Well, okay, so that's the thing. I mean, it was going fine, you know, it was she seems nice enough, you know, it's a fine date, and then she brings up this book and it's just like, I mean, it's so weird, Like am I just content for you to put into your book?
Speaker 3: But she wouldn't tell you about the book if she thought you were going to be in it, Like she's just sharing what's going on in your life in her life, and she had already written about all the other bad dates she was really thought she was on a good date with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, but here's the thing. So then I'm like, Okay, this is kind of weird, but maybe it's fine, you know, maybe this doesn't include me. But then I was like, hey, so what are some of the bad dates that you went on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good. Yes, that's a good question. Then you know what not to do well.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure she has like some big stories that she made bigger just to make the book entertaining too, right, Oh yeah, did.
Speaker 2: She tell you or did she keep it a secret? You have to buy the book.
Speaker 3: She only read the first twenty sentences purchased.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she told me a few, and she she didn't embellish. Okay, but one of them she was like, oh man, it was so terrible. I like, went had the date with this guy and he just wanted to play board games all night. Okay, Like we went back to his place and he had Monopoly and he had Scrabble and it was just like an endless like it's all he wanted to do.
Speaker 2: Last three days book worthy.
Speaker 4: That was her horror stories.
Speaker 2: So what's the problem with that.
Speaker 5: Well, the thing is is that I kind of had a whole night planned and after dinner, like, what's in my living room? A couple of board games? Oh?
Speaker 3: I see, so I just derailed your Okay, I care.
Speaker 5: Then I had to make excuses to like sneak over to the living room and like hide the game back.
Speaker 2: I guess we're not going to play Connect for it tonight.
Speaker 3: I bet that that's not what she meant. I bet it's not that she didn't want to play board games. It's just that maybe this guy had literally hours of it playing or it was like really competitive in a dumb way, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean maybe. But then she was also like, I've been on like so many days we're like, guys have tried to cook for me and just like totally burnt the food. Oh and I'm like in the middle of cooking, well she says this, So then I'm like, oh my god, if I don't get these Inchulata's perfect, I'm gonna get ripped about. And I'm like it was just very stressful, Okay.
Speaker 3: I mean I could see how her stories you could interpret them to be about you. I don't think that was it wasn't her intention though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you don't have to just believe us telling you that. You can hear it straight from Fran's mouth. Why do I keep saying it like that because she's on the other line right now wants to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Man, Oh my god, Hey, that's Frand in her mouth. Yeah, go ahead, friend's mouth, say stuff.
Speaker 4: Hey, Tommy, I'm first of all, I'm sorry that's start. Everything that you said is true, and you would ask and I just thought it would be like they were kind of funny and silly, and I just thought it would be fine to kind of talk about it. But I can see how that would send somebody kind of into their head.
Speaker 2: Tommy, are you hearing her?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I don't know. It was just like a little I mean, I don't know how you want me to feel about that, you know, It's just like I feel like it's like, all right, sweet, put a ton of pressure on me, like on this first date when I don't know you.
Speaker 4: You know, well, listen, first, I had no idea about the board games, and I'm sorry if you felt like you had to hide stuff. And to be clear, the board game guy tried to explain settlers of Catan to me for an hour and I just couldn't handle it.
Speaker 1: Okay, but it's not that you hate any board games as a date night. It was just with that particular guy, right, careful, somebody that you're down to scrabble with, Tommy, maybe one of the.
Speaker 3: Worst games else, Okay, what you want, mouse Trap.
Speaker 2: Operation. They don't care, Jose.
Speaker 5: I've actually never played Hungry Hungry Hit Both.
Speaker 3: It is the worst game. It is so dumb.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Honestly, is somebody who talked about not liking board games. I really like that game?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 1: Fine, I really, Tommy, I'm going to take Fran's side here. I really don't think you need to feel like insecure about her worst people I've Ever dated book.
Speaker 2: Just don't read because.
Speaker 3: Maybe her second book can be about how her dating life turned into a relationship, and that could be starring you.
Speaker 4: Nobody wants to read that.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm writing the Worst Coworkers I've Ever had book, and no one in this room isn't it. So you don't need to feel insecure about that at all.
Speaker 3: I don't because keep talking just by comparison, but I.
Speaker 1: Really think you should give Fran another shot. Here Tommy, and if you're willing to go out with her, we'll pay for that date.
Speaker 5: Look, I I was having a good time. If I can just maybe just get a promise that she's not gonna write about me, that would be amazing.
Speaker 3: Really juicy chapter that she'd have to leave out.
Speaker 4: I'll I'll tell you what, Tommy, I will do you one better. I will write about this, except I will take full responsibility and be the bad date.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're using us as content to be in your book.
Speaker 3: I think I have to call my agent first, and I'm sure that there's a cut that.
Speaker 2: We're supposed to get.
Speaker 4: Yeah, too late, I've already had the chapter outline.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I'm starting a new book. Worst listeners I've ever told But congratulations you guys. We're gonna send you on.
Speaker 3: Keep us updated, okay, and let us know how when the book's published.
Speaker 4: As well.
Speaker 2: Who wins Hungry Hungry Hippos Too.
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 2: Rookie Jeffrey in the morning text board is blowing up right now, not surprised. Ninety seven percent of people agree Brooke is a bad person for not liking Hungry Hungry Hippos.
Speaker 3: It's not a very good game like, there's no strategy at all. You just say on that say that's all you do.
Speaker 2: You know, Brooke, we tend to not like things when we see ourselves reflected in them. Maybe what's going on.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna lie every time I eat my lunch every day, I'm very hungry after.
Speaker 2: Yeah, peoples were eating kale and craw healthy. It's the best game ever. You got me, You've got me there. You need eat little white balls. That's the hungry right. I'm glad we were able to get them a second date. They've only sounded like they had.
Speaker 3: I'm curious to hear too. And if her if and when her book actually gets published, Yeah, you know, I hope she stays updated.
Speaker 2: We should read it. Yeah, we should.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'll do an audiobook.
Speaker 2: Remember you can always email the show. We'll call that person who isn't calling you back. Check out all of our Second Day podcasts up online where we get your podcasts at Brook and Jeffrey
Speaker 3: Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning,