Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: This is Prime Cuts, the best of the Colin Coward Podcast. Jeff Benedict, Boy, this was good. Author of the new book Lebron, great insight into the decision and other major turning points in Lebron's career. Oops Tonight host Jason Timpf and I discussed big NBA topics, including why Luca maybe turning into a headache for the MAVs, and Mike Silver and I discuss what is reportedly the end of the Dan Snyder era in Washington. All Right, my buddy, Mike Silver, part of the volume, longtime NFL reporter writes for Ballely Sports in the San Francisco Chronicle, actually begin going to be doing some warrior games since he knows Steve Kerran knows hoops, which is great. We'll get into that in a second. Daniel Snyder, it's hard to ruin a great brand, right, Like Donald Sterling was a bad human, but that was never a great brand, right. Robert Sarver did all he could to ruin the Suns, but it wasn't a huge national brand. Seventies, eighties, nineties, Washington was the Packers. I mean they were when I was a kid growing up. They were the franchise after Dallas and the Steelers, and it's such a great fan base, exactly, exactly, So a lot of people felt, despite the harassment charges, that the owners would support Dan Snyder and he would just figure out a way despite bad pr to hang around. Any insight to what possibly happened.
Speaker 3: Well, I think one thing that happened is that one of his own publicly started talking about maybe kicking about And I know jimmers say really really well. I admire his conviction. He goes against the grain at times. It's possible Jim Rsay just spoke honestly and from his heart. It's also possible that Jim Ersay had had some conversations with other owners who said, you know what, we agree with you, and if you say that, you know you'd have our at least quiet support. But that was not insignificant when Jimmersay started public you know, came out publicly and said, yeah, I don't know, maybe we should get rid of this guy. Jim Ersay has three daughters, He's very close to him. He didn't like the way that the allegations against Stan Schneider were selling NFL owners and the league. You know, prior to that it had been thought, well, a lot of owners have skeletons. Trust me, I worked for them.
Speaker 4: For eight years. Trust they do.
Speaker 3: Whole other podcast topic. But you know a lot of owners have skeletons, and a lot of owners more charitably and have people come out of the woodwork to accuse them of things that maybe aren't totally accurate. But they didn't want to open that can of worms where you know, okay, if accusations happen, it sets the stage for these right franchises. They want to be generational that while we've been on this podcast that you know, each one is appreciated and another one hundred thousand dollars or something. You know, they didn't want to open that can of worms. And remember Jerry Richardson faced some pretty serious allegations just passed away recently. That problem got solved because he was older and he was just done. He was like, you know what, fine, I'm out. And they didn't have to the NFL owners didn't have to deal with it. The NBA solved the problem twice by throwing money at the problem. Essentially a having the balls Adam Silver on his first day on the job to say you're out. Donald Sterling, whether it's constitutional or not, and then a giant offer from Steve Ballmer and again with the suns that happened with Starvers. So you know, this is a little bit of all of that. Daniel Sider wasn't going to make it easy and walk away, but I think once he heard Jim Mersey say that, he realized, man, something has turned.
Speaker 2: Now the next least popular owner is Jimmy Haslam, who infuriated owners for another reason, an egregiously bad fully guaranteed contract to Deshaun Watson. So if we had a ranking of least popular owners among other billionaire owners, Haslam now is number one.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, that's so cool that you broached that because I used to do owner rankings.
Speaker 4: As far as I know, I'm the only one i've.
Speaker 3: I did them annually for SI dot com and then Yahoo, and of course they were my rankings about who I thought were doing the best jobs of owning teams.
Speaker 4: But that actually has my wheel.
Speaker 3: Spinning, like what about an insighty odor rankings of which owners are the most hated among the other owners. And you know, you bring up a good point, but I think in the end, you know, yeah, that frustrated other owners that Jimmy Haslam did that because now we got to deal with this guarantee contract stuff. And other owners didn't like it when David Tepper came in and gave Matt Rule. Sounds weird in retrospect, but gave Matt Rule all that money because it messed up the coaching contract market. But I feel like owners get over that stuff, you know, eventually, but the you know what owners can't get over allegations have proven and maybe we'll never know that one owner, Daniel Snyder, allegedly cooked the books and screwed them out of their share of the gates. That's less forgivable, you know for the billionaire set. So yeah, they tend to stick together. They tend to not want to set precedents like, oh, a couple of accusations could knock Xoder out of the league and make them lose this incredible investment. But you know, Daniel Snyder put them through the rigger in a lot of ways, and Ers, possibly knowing that he spoke for a larger contingent, was kind of like, Okay, this is this is a nightmare. Look if the Colts play the Commanders, if they're still called that at the FedEx Field or a new stadium, and Jim Orsay takes the field pregame to Goschmouze. He should get like an adoring celebration and a prolonged ovation from those Washington fans for a huge, huge assist on getting Daniel Snyder the f out, because heaven knows, it's been long coming and it's tough to shed any tears.
Speaker 2: So I want to talk about the Niners because you have such in depth, you have tentacles all over that organization. And by the way, increasingly when I follow your Twitter feed, all your critics are lightening up because you've been right so many times and broken so many stories. They are like silver, I hate eh, whatever, what's the latest news. So the trail ant stuff is interesting. I was talking to Jordan Palmer the other day and he's like, you know, if you look at the offense San Francisco runs, a lot of these plays are scheme to succeed. Sam Donald's going to have the best protection, the best weapons, the best coach he's ever had. And we know he's a big, strong, athletic kid and coachable and hard working. He's just not accurate enough. But this system makes you more accurate. Don't be shocked if Jimmy Garoppolo is not nearly as good with the Raiders as he was with the Niners. So brock Purty, I think the franchise likes a lot and Sam Donald are in house. We all know at some point, and I think the Niners are, and even some of the sound and some of the quotes from your articles, they're going to move off something if they missed. They're not going to try to double down on wrong. Let's just be honest. Could Trey Lance be moved before the season.
Speaker 3: He could, but I believe that brock Purty's injury and the uncertainty that still surrounds his recovery made that much much less likely. Before the playoffs, I wrote and reported it's over. Brock Purty's the guy because they want to go with this model where they pay everybody and have the quarterback on the rookie deal. Yeah, that's what That's what trading for that pick was about. That's what drafting Lance was supposed to be about. And with Purdy, the model is even better. You're not even allowed to reopen his contract for two more years. It's even cheaper than Trey Lance's deal, and he showed Kyle Shanahan. You know, people are like, well, how can you say Perdy. I'm like, I'm not saying that. Kyle believes it based on what he saw for Purdy the guy. So going into that Philly game for the Conference championship, the only thing that kuld of derailed that plan was what happened. If Rock Party had broken his leg, it would have been brutal and it would have hurt and it would have sucked. But they would have been like, fine, he'll come back. It's because of what happened to was throwing elbow. You're not totally sure. A you're not sure when, and B you're still not positive that it's going to be like it was before. And I have PTSD because a lot of my Twitter critics probably weren't born when I was right about the Joe Bontana Steve Young stuff. But Joe Bontana missed basically two seasons after elbow surgeries, and he did come back after that. It'd have two really really good years with the Chiefs, but nothing is promised, and so I think because of that, it gives them an opening to say, look, we knew Lance was going to take a while to develop because he was raw. It's taken longer. It didn't work when we just handed it to him last year. We ended up having to bring Garoppolo back as a hedge and ultimately turned the party. But maybe we can develop him and use this offseason to get him some more reps. And I don't know if this offense makes you more accurate, because you're going to have to be more accurate than or consistently accurate than Trai Lance was before he got hurt last year. But you know, there's still a lot of things to potentially like about him. So I believe what they'll do is they'll say, look, party's not going to be here till at least the start of the season, maybe longer. We're gonna split reps between Lance and Dartl's see how they react, see what we have. Basically, if one of them has to start the opener, it's the guy we think gives us the best chance to win. And I think one thing that people are missing here is that when they say, well, they're going to trade Trey Lance and admit their mistake, Yeah, eventually they're going to admit their mistake. If it was a mistake, but they're not fielding offers to get back in the first round for Trey Lance. And I know it only takes one team, but if they trade Trey Lance, now, I think it's for a three or something. And so I just don't think you have urgency too. You don't know about Purdy, you'd like another option, you'd like to see if you can develop a more because you do have a lot of vested in them. You're not paying them a lot, and you can always move them, you know, a year from now, if it goes the way you wanted to with Purdy, and possibly if it does with Darnold. So I think if someone called them and said we will give you it too, like something, they thought.
Speaker 4: Oh take a second, yeah they yeah.
Speaker 3: I think if someone calls and says we'll give you a three for Trey Lance, they go three. Let's see, we currently have ninety six picks in the third round. Not all these guys are going to make our team. I mean, I just don't think. I think I'd rather have a chance to, you know, develop of this offseason.
Speaker 4: Maybe they will.
Speaker 3: I don't even think they'll necessarily get off for a three right now. But listen, if he goes out and looks good in the preseason and possibly earlier the season, they could get a lot more for him a year from now.
Speaker 2: So you went to cal Aaron Rodgers did. But Aaron Rodgers has gotten a little bit more indifferent and critical of the media over the last several years. And I said this on the show today. There's a lot of reports now that this thing won't get done Jets and Packers until after the draft. So Green Bay does have a need at tight end that's fairly urgent. They'll probably draft a tight end in the first round. They need another receiver, pretty thin and young at receiver. They'll go that in the second round. But the roster is good, not great, but it's good. It's not San Francisco, it's not Philadelphia. I don't think it's as good maybe as you know a Buffalo or as you know the top teams in the AFC.
Speaker 4: But it's a good roster. I believe that.
Speaker 2: Aaron if he just came out and just said guys, I'm in for two years minimum, it would be over. You could then the Jets would be like, Okay, we know it, you know it. But I said this today, and I've been critical of Aaron. But Aaron's too smart to not know that once you take the most money, you won't have the best roster. He took the money. He's too smart to think, yeah, two rookie receivers, I'm not going to work with him in the off season. That'll work great. I honestly think that we all make choices on what matters to us. You have a great family, great friends in your career. You have prioritized those and they're all strong. Some people care about their careers, some people care about social life somewhat less stress. Aaron's made a decision, in my opinion, and winning. Second, what he wants is control over the media, over situations, over the Packers. That he could end all this bullshit. He can end the drama.
Speaker 5: Mike.
Speaker 2: If you just said two years I'm in, I'll think about a third. Why doesn't he do that?
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, I've also made some bad decisions in terms of priorities, specifically continuing to root for cal which is you know, no, and I joke, but you know, charitably, for Aaron, I would say this, he said he was thinking about retiring, you know, very seriously recently. That's what he you know, will take up at his word. It's I think it's better not to say I'm in for two years if you're not sure that you are. And sure, he could say I'm in for two years and you know, by December be like, oh, I'm you know, this is terrible, I'm out here. But maybe it's to his credit that he's not sure he's in for two years. And listen, I know I know from talking to my sources that the Jets understand that there's a scenario where he only plays one and they are not telling the packers, sorry, man, we take it or leave it. What they're saying to the packers is, look, man, you know if it comes and he plays one year, we give up all this That seems kind of skewed. Is there a mechanism in this trade where if that happens, we get something back after he retires? And I think that's you know, they consider that a reasonable request. So yeah, Aaron can end that if he just said I'm in for two But maybe it's to Aaron's credit that he's not saying that because he's just not sure.
Speaker 2: Your guess how long you would play with the Jets. I think it's too you know, Aaron's career, first year as a starter in Green Bay, first year with Hackett, it has taken him usually because I've been told he's not a big grinder in the off season like a Brady A. Peyton or Russell Wilson, that Aaron's second year is usually the year he pops. Well, I don't think he wants to do a one walk off and be average. I think he wants to end. It's good for his legacy, it's good for money, it's good. I think he wants to have a reviable year and I don't think his first year, frankly is going to be great.
Speaker 3: But he doesn't consider this year one, first of all, Year one with Hackett on la floor was a whole new scheme and that I believe that was a legitimate adjustment. By the way they got to the NFC Championship game. He did not have a great statistical year, but they went thirteen to three and got to the FFC Championship game. But I think the way that he and the Jets are thinking of this is this is essentially year four after a gap, because it's Hackett, and because it's that offense, and it's not like Hackett plus Lafloor. By the way, Att Haacket plus Sola, who's like you run the offense, I'm you know, I'll keep an eye on my specialty, which is defense. So if you believe that Aaron and Hackett are now resuming a very fruitful partnership that won consecutive MVPs their next two years together, and it's the Jets receipts and other players who are going to have to adjust to that, Aaron may not think it's he. Aaron probably thinks I'm going to just be rolling for the get go. But going back to what you said earlier, just as he made a decision not to work with the new receivers a year ago, when clearly, as Patrick Mahobes could tell you, that was an important thing to do for winning, I think that's what you need to look at. If this trade doesn't get done Draft weekend, you will probably hear I suspect, Hey, it turns out Aaron Rodgers and Garrett Wilson and Al Lazard and you know, all those Jets targets are working out in La or somewhere, and because there's nothing to stop him, you can't say he's tampering. And you can't say Garrett Wilson's tampering. So I think it is important to have to hit the ground running at your and that that'll be the way we know if there's no trade right away or the next couple of weeks, I would expect we'll see him and those guys for the Jets start to work together.
Speaker 2: Well. I'm very excited I get to talk to Jeff Benedict after he finishes another absolutely consumable book. You know, he wrote The Dynasty. The insight on the New England Patriots, which is soon to be a documentary on Apple TV, was tremendous. He co wrote the book with my friend Armin Katayan Tiger Woods. And now the new book is Lebron and it's the kind of in depth reporting and context that you just don't get on certainly on shows like mine, but you don't even get in like a magazine article of some renowned It's such quality reporting. And I thought I knew just about everything about Lebron, but the details and the digging here is so fun. You start the book, the topic is the decision, which for years I defended Lebron on David Stern argued with me, I'm like listen, he gave millions of dollars of the Boys and Girls Club give me a break and Stern, as you know, appalled is too strong but didn't like it. So let's you start the book there. Maverick Carter, who I know very well consider a friend, had some leverage in creating this. Let's go back to the decision. People may just remember the Jim Gray interview. It's quick. How did it land for Lebron? Talk about the genesis of it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's fantastic because Lebron had been he was being courted for a year or longer by a handful of teams that were pulling out all the stops to get him. And you know, it was the question not just in the NBA, but the question in sports that summer was where is Lebron going to go? Or is he going to stay in Cleveland? And the reason I decided to open there is because, first of all, I was able to get access to some information about that day and that decision that has never really come out before. And that's why I wanted to start the book. In a car pulling out of the private airport in New York, making its way through the back roads of Greenwich to the home of the man who really Mark Dowley, who helped put this together with Maverick, And I just thought this gives the reader the opportunity to feel like they're literally in the car with Lebron as he's en route to make a decision in a part of the country that most people have never been to. I mean, most Americans have never been to Greenwich, Connecticut. And in a way, it's a weird place when you think about it. Why in the world would you choose Greenwich to make this announcement. It's Nick's country, if anything, and if you were going to go to the Knicks, Greenwich is an odd place to go to do this. And so I wanted to go there with the reader because I just thought it allowed me to show so many things about Lebron at that moment in his life. And I just love the scenery of them getting out of the car and Greenwich at this estate, Maverick and rich Paul, and they're flying so high in that moment, they're so happy, they're so almost in a way there is a naive ta about what's about to happen, and they're so loose.
Speaker 4: And then in a couple of hours, all hell breaks.
Speaker 2: It does take people listening now, because there is so much depth to this book. You can give away a lot and not give away a third of it. But when did they realize something had gone poorly with the decision?
Speaker 1: I think, you know, they started a sense that things aren't great immediately after the decision was announced and the initially ESPN broadcast had concluded, meaning the live event with Jim Gray, and then Lebron had to do an interview with Michael Wilbon who was in studio and doing a remote interview with Lebron who was still in Greenwich at the club, and the questions. One of the questions Wilbon asked him was if he could see what was happening in Cleveland. They were already burning his jersey, But it's not till later that evening, before they've left Greenwich though, to get on a private plane to go to Miami. They hung around for a while. They actually went back to Dowy's house and they were listening to music and hanging out. And then Dan Gilbert's letter shows up on the website and you're starting to go like wow, Like the New York Times puts up a story that's referring to the Evil Empire. And this is all happening in real time and Twitter works now right, It's Twitter's fairly new at this point, but it works, and the tweets are coming from all over the place, not just sports people, but people in entertainment, late night comedy. Everybody's piling on. And so by the time Lebron and his inner circle are in the air to fly to Miami, they know it's bad. And I love how Rich Paul refers to the quietest flight he'd ever been on with Lebron and Maverick.
Speaker 2: So there was a sweepstakes, as you note, to get Lebron. The Knicks had an interesting pitch, but Miami's landed. Tell our audience why, and they're tact, which is to me pat Riley's one of the smartest guys in league history. Not a shock he hit the right notes. Yes, yeah, I love. The reason I love the Knicks pitch is because it's so New York and it's just so over the top and so inappropriate in terms of what you need to lure Lebron to your team. Lebron had so much access to fame and glitz and glamour, that's not what he was looking for. And he wasn't looking for a billion dollars. He was looking for rings championships. And so New York does this thing where they hire a filmmaker who doesn't know anything about basketball. He didn't know the difference between a basketball and a golf ball. And so he goes out and brings in Jonathan Hawk, who knows how to make a sports documentary, and they have all the celebrities in New York City lined up, from Harvey Weinstein to Reggie Jackson to Alec Baldwin, I mean, Robert de Niro, everybody wanted in this documentary. And they even got Donald Trump. They went up to Trump Tower and got Trump to sit for an interview. Anybody they interviewed is pitching lebron On White needs to come to New York. To me, the best part of that whole story and the smartest thing they did, was to go get Tony Soprano out of retirement and to bring him in to do a sketch at the end of the film, and it's basically Dandal Feini getting back in that role with Edie Falco. It was brilliant, and I told the story through.
Speaker 1: The lens of Jonathan Hawk, who shot the interview in Tony's apartment, and they pitch him and it's basically literally the offer you can't refuse. And Lebron thought it was funny because it was it was clever, it was funny, but it wasn't right. And then Riley comes in and Riley's last and Riley brings in a bag of rings and he puts him on the table and you know, Lebron asks him what's in there, and he dumps him out and there is championship rings that he's won everywhere, and it's what Lebron wants, and he has this really important line to keep the main thing the main thing. Lebron didn't know what that was in the moment, but Maverick knew what it was because he'd read Steve and Rcovey's book and certainly understood what Riley was saying. And the main thing in Miami with pat Riley is winning championships, and he knew that that was the main thing for Lebron. And I just thought, wow, like these two contrasts the Knicks in the heat. So the Miami story is four years, two championships. I think the arc of many of our lives. Is the hardships come before the titles or the runs. Right, We've all struggled in our life. Lebron struggles are the struggles of the greatest basketball player evert The decision dinged them a little bit. But Miami was Miami felt like it was going to work very quickly. You had the smart owner, pat Riley, a young, brilliant young coach. You had d Wade Haslam, the culture, and then he loses to the Mavericks and for the only time in his career looked afraid on the court. That was a real turning point for Lebron. Talk about that, it's a huge turning point. I would say, it's not really a disagreement with you. But I think the decision did more than Dingham because the ramification of the decision is he is the villain of American sports. His first year in Miami, he hated and anyone who was in Cleveland. I was not there the night that Lebron returned to Cleveland, but I interviewed people who were It was violent. I mean it was scary. People who were on that team said they were afraid. The security in the arena. People that were there to protect the Miami players. They had never seen or felt anything like that at an American sports event. That first year in Miami for Lebron, I think was different because Lebron likes to be liked and he was hated that year. And then on top of that, they were supposed to win and they didn't win, and I think that's what plunged Lebron into a dark period. The summer after losing to Dallas is the darkest period of Lebron's career for him personally, and it's really a moment of self discovery where he's locked away in Miami. He doesn't want to talk to anybody, not family, not friends. He's listening to certain kinds of music, and really when he comes out of that, it's interesting when he comes out of that. I just thought it was interesting that one of the first people he saw when he came out of that was Bono in Miami, who had come YouTube was there touring, and he had some private time with Bono backstage. I just thought it was interesting because I was thinking to myself as a writer, Bono's probably one of the only people on the planet who could actually say in that moment, I've been through more than you. I know what this is like, Like I've been in worse spots than you because I've been doing this longer and I'm a world around rockstar. And I'm sure he didn't say those things to Lebron, but there aren't many people Lebron can get in a room with who could actually say I've been to these places that you're in right now. And he comes out of that, and Dwayne Wade has a big part of him coming out of that, because that's when they have the conversation about this needs to be your team. It's sort of like it's okay to take over, you need to dominate. This is my city and my team in my town. But we're not going to win unless you take the reins and boy, the next season, Lebron's the scariest player in the NBA. I mean, everyone's afraid of him. You don't want to play this team and that guy, and I think the next three years to me, those are the scary Lebron hears. Let's go back to you talk about in the book. There's obviously great debate. Lebron now starts stacking up championships in Miami and the Michael Jordan. Stuff really starts to become a comp and nobody had really ever challenged Michael Jordan. It was just Russell.
Speaker 2: Early, then Kareem, then Magic. Then you know, you kind of got ten years to yourself as the greatest player ever. And all of a sudden after the second title, people start talking about, Wow, this guy is different. Yes, but in his early days in high school Jeff nobody talked about Michael Jordan. Their games were different, Their personalities are completely different. One is much more hyper aggressive, much more the score not necessary, not necessarily ever conciliatory or considered about your feelings. Lebron's comp was not my as you.
Speaker 1: Noted, Yeah it is, because it's interesting you reference that high school years. One of my favorite scenes in this well, I'm going to say two of them, because they're kind of coupled. It's Whenick Maverick goes back. He leaves college after one year, right realizes he's not going to play in the NBA, goes back to Akron to go to school and to work with Lebron and help Lebron and navigate those tenuous high school years coming up for him.
Speaker 4: Andy starts coaching his AAU.
Speaker 1: Team and they go to Chicago in the summer, and one of the guys from Jordan's Jim, who works with Michael Jordan trains with him, approaches Maverick and invites him and Lebron to come to Michael's Jim in Chicago, and they go. Michael's not there, but they go and they check it out, and it's like they've entered that sort of celestial space where Michael Jordan trains. It's a private place not anybody can go, and other NBA players who are active in the league go there to train and run. Remember Michael's retired right now, but they go there, and one of the things that Lebron gets to do is he gets to scrimmage run with these NBA players, guys like Antoine Walker, big time players, big bodies, playing with a teenager. And for the first time, the floor looks different to Lebron, it's a different floor. And that's why that chapter is called a different Floor. It's the same dimensions of the floor that he plays on at Saint VI's, except everything's different. The passing lanes are more narrow because the guys are so much bigger. Their arms are longer. When they put their arms out the routes to the basket just aren't there that he sees in high school games. It's all different for him. And that is a huge eye opening experience for him. And one thing happens. He can't guard anybody in those scrimmages. They're too good, they're too fast, the too big. He can't guard them. But he can score against these guys, which is phenomenal. He can score buckets with some of the best NBA players and he's only in high school. That's really important. And then here's the second part. Later they go back there and they're there and they're about to leave, and they go outside and Marten pulls up in a red sports car.
Speaker 4: And gets out.
Speaker 1: Now at this moment, Michael knows he's coming out of retirement, but nobody else knows that. He hasn't announced it yet, And so he gets out. The coolest athlete in the world gets out of the car and approaches Lebron. He knows who Lebron is, and Lebron certainly sees who he is. This is his idol, this is the guy whose posters are on his bedroom walls. It's the guy whose number he wears. And now they're in a conversation, and Michael invites him back inside and they talk and Michael doesn't give him advice, because Michael's not that kind of guy. But it doesn't matter. It's what he did give him was he gave him his cell phone number, which to me is a lot more important than advice because of what it says to Lebron. Michael doesn't give his phone number out to anybody. Lebron's now one of the few people in America who has Michael Jordan's cell phone. And when he leaves Chicago that night, by the way, Colin, the next day is the first day of school at Saint fee, Maverick's got to race him home because he's got to be in school the next day, and in his pocket he's got Michael Jordan's phone number. And he wrote in his journal about that and about how cool that experience was. And to me, what did Michael think of Lebron in that moment? Did he really think that Lebron was actually going to threaten him as the potential greatest player of all time time? I don't know, Probably not, because he was still a kid and he was very encouraging to him at that moment. But Obviously, as time goes on, and it doesn't take long. By the time you get to Game five against Detroit, you know, like this guy is actually that guy, like he is the future. He is that good and there isn't anyone else like him. And so I just think that Michael Jordan origin stories with Lebron, they're real, and there's some of the most interesting parts of Lebron's story.
Speaker 5: I'm really intrigued with this Memphis matchup. It makes a lot of sense for the Lakers on a couple of different levels. The Memphis Grizzlies are a team that play a lot of guys that typically don't shoot very well, right, John Murray, you can go underneath screens. Dylan Brooks has been shooting well for a couple of weeks, but he's a guy that I guarantee you Darvin Ham's gonna dare to shoot. And then obviously in the front court with Steven Adams out, with Brandon Clark gout, yeah, looking at Xavier Tillman or Jaron Jackson there, Darvin Ham loves to dare people to shoot, and I think this is a series that actually bodes well for the Lakers there. And then on the other end of the floor. Who is the best surgical matchup hunting player and probably the history of the NBA, Lebron James. And so he's gonna be calling up John Morant to every single conceivable action. He's gonna be get doing everything in his power to get Dylan Brooks off of him or to get Anthony Davis into favorable matchups. And obviously there's a long road ahead. If they win, I think they're gonna face the Warriors in round two. If they win that, there's a very good chance they're gonna play Phoenix in round three. If they win that, there's a very good chance you're gonna get Boston or Milwaukee at the end of that. So it's a very long road. It's a lot to put on Lebron James and Anthony Davis physically.
Speaker 4: But here's the deal.
Speaker 5: You made it to the playoffs, ish, and you're probably gonna be a slight favorite in round one. I'd call that a resounding victory compared to where we were before the deadline.
Speaker 2: Well, the other thing is Memphis isn't Cleveland young or ok C or Houston young. But Steven Adams is one of the few guys with some playoff experience, and he's out. So Memphis is fairly young, and I always felt this year that you know, they're one of those teams built for the regular season because they play hard and they have depth, and you can win a lot of games in this league off playing hard and having ten guys that doesn't matter nearly as much. So now they get smaller without Steven Adams plays right into Anthony Davis's hands, and he's had the best two week stretch arguably since he's been a Laker. If you take out the bubble, he's been completely dominating.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 2: He didn't play particularly well today in terms of total points, but down the stretch he had a couple of key baskets. So I think you get a Memphis team that's smaller, had injuries, young, and let's be honest, the job Morant stuff still not great. So I if you say to me, Okay, there's a team in the playoffs that could be a little volatile of all of them, and I'd be like Clippers because of Kawhi, you never know if he's going to play Westbrook. They had a fight on their bench, So like Clippers feel very vaulatle to me and I think Memphis as a young one of the younger playoff teams. Cleveland in the East is very young, but Cleveland doesn't feel immature. Everybody in Cleveland knows exactly what they are and what they do. Donovan Mitchell has already clarified their offense. He takes the last big shot and everybody knows it. Mobley's you're big, he's your young guy, but he knows laden games. They all step aside for Donovan Mitchell. Memphis has some egos, they're chatty. I think the Lakers win that series.
Speaker 4: I really do it.
Speaker 2: I think Anthony Davis is going to have a fantastic series Without Steven Adams.
Speaker 5: Memphis is very dangerous because they have guys that are capable of knocking down shots. Like here's the think of John Muran. Like we learned from last year's playoffs, Like Desmond Bane really good, interesting player, excellent shooter, good defensive player, can do some slashing, but he really struggled to beat people off the dribble last year in the playoffs. That's a concern. The playoffs in general will take your weakness and shine the biggest magnifying glass. Yeah, that's what the playoffs do the same thing with John Moran. It's hey, yeah, you knock down pull up threes at thirty percent this year, that's great. We are going to dare you to take that this year to the point where we're going to actually try to get into your head by making you think you can't do it. That's the way that these these especially these veteran playoff teams try to attack you and make you feel uncomfortable, make you lack confidence, and at the end of the day, like it all comes down to the physical side of things, like Lebron James has to hold up, Anthony Davis has to hold up. But over the course of a playoff series, the team that wins is usually the team that generates higher quality shots in the half court. Who do you trust more to get stops in the half court for seven games Lebron James, Anthony Davis, Jared Vanderbilt, Austin Reeves or you know, John Moraet, Desmond Bayn, Dylan Brooks and Jared Jackson. And then on the flip side of that, when Memphis has to score against them, I just think I just think the Lakers are going to get better quality shots over the course of the series wouldn't be surprised if Memphis jumped up to a one zero lead or a two to one lead. But I think as the series progresses, the older, more talented team in the Lakers is in the best shape. I want to say this though I am a big believer in what Golden State does, but yes, Andrew Wiggins is back. However, he's a rhythm player who has not played really intense competitive basketball for a while. Had they fallen to seven and drawn that Memphis matchup, I think Memphis would have beat them. That's how much I view the importance of getting Andrew Wiggins up to speed. So it is so critically important that they get this series against Zacremento, a team who's very good and very offensively skilled, as an excellent home court advantage. But they are not the biggest and most athletic team in the world, so Golden State, in their lack of athleticism, will have less of a factor to play in that particular series. And I don't know if you notice, but Golden State's actually a minus two hundred favorite to win that series. That's a pretty significant favorite. If they get out of that series, that buys you from now three additional weeks to get Andrew Wiggins up to speed for a potential matchup with Memphis or LA, two massive teams that are incredibly athletic and big, and at that point I feel better about well.
Speaker 2: And Gary Payton just the other night got extended minutes. So now Gary Peyton, you can put him on for a good at sixteen minutes a night. Just put him on Daron Fox and then put Klay Thompson, Dante de Vincenzo. We've talked about this Golden State's absurdly deep in the back court and very thin in the front court. But Dearon Fox is their fourth court guy. I think he's the best guard in the NBA and the fourth quarter this year in terms of what they call crucial points. So you know, I saw the other night Peyton played like eighteen twenty minutes, and I'm like, that's exactly what they wanted. So Wiggins isn't ready to go at that level. And they'll have to massage that a little because Cominga's finally now playing real minutes and they're gonna take them away. So that's a weird, you know, confluence of events where it's like we need Wiggins desperately, but you know, Kuminga's actually started to put log in eighteen twenty twenty four minutes and been productive. So now you got to peel him back, so you got to massage that in the locker room. And the chemistry has been weird with the Warriors this year since the Draymond Jordan Poole inflammation. But I like their matchup in the series. He throw a lot of bodies at Fox. You know, Golden State will have to win a road game, but this is almost you know, it's a bus ride, and I also think this they'll get the whistle. They know how to manipulate officials. They know how to do the psychological manipulation. I mean, Sacramento is like the little brother down the road to the Dynasty, and you can see in spots them being a little overwhelmed and the Warriors, you know, trash talking, getting in their head and getting the favorable whistle the Dynasty does in the first round. My entire life, I don't think the league is rigged, but I do think veteran teams manipulate officiating in the playoffs, where referees tend to swallow the whistle. You're not going to get that high octane offense that draws all those fouls. The Warriors can slow it down, speed it up, they'll get the whistle. So I think it's one of these series. It's a really good series for Golden State. There were some real worrisome matchups. Even the Lakers size could be a huge problem. I think they locked down well. Again, the Warriors can beat somebody with size. They just need Andrew Wiggins.
Speaker 5: Like when I say I would have picked Memphis to win in the first round, that's one hundred percent and Andrew Wiggins take like that. It's all associated with the fact that he is so imperative to their athletic ceiling that they need to compete in a series against that team, giving them an extra three weeks from now to get there. That's vitally important. The Sacramento this is a Gary Payton series in my opinion, and the main reason why is because Sacramento has killed teams all season, along with the simple combination of deeron Fox and demand of Sabonis and what they do with their dribble handoffs, and the problem it presents for teams because you let deeron Fox get downhill or if you switch it. Sabonis is one of the best players in the league at beating switches to the basket, and if he draws double teams, he's an excellent passer. So what I like about the Golden State matchup in that series is Draymond Green and Gary Payton. Couldn't I couldn't conceive possibly mentally a better duo to potentially handle those two guys. And this is again, what an attribute, And this is why I actually love this move from the deadline. What an incredible attribute to have as a coach, a weapon in your pocket to be able to deploy Gary Payton on the other team's best guard and to know he's gonna be able to hold that in check. I don't know if you noticed this the other night, but the Warriors won the game against Oklahoma City, a tough fought game against Oklahoma City. You might have been scammed, but it was a tough fought game against Oklahoma City, and in the fourth quarter of that game, Gary Payton shut down shake Yield is Alexander who's one of the best guards in this league. He had a couple of buckets on switches and he drew one foul, but for the most part, Gary Payton shut him down and it was how Golden State pulled out that game. He is one of the best guards in the league to guard this specific type of matchup, partnering that with Draymond Green. I love this matchup for the Warriors. I would pick them to win in no more than six games, but I'm leaning towards five. And for all the Hoops Tonight listeners out there, We're going to do a full breakdown of this series within the next couple of days where we'll really dive into the x's and o's, But I'm leaning towards picking the Warriors in five or six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I would take the Warriors in six suns four against the Clippers five. This again really plays in the Phoenix's hand. So you know, Kevin Durant's gotten several games off, so they're sitting him, and here you have an inflamed bench situation where plumb Lee gets into a fight. You're already asking Tylou, like, what do you do with Westbrook? Now he's great in regular season production, Okay, now we get into situational basketball.
Speaker 4: What do I do?
Speaker 2: Paul George isn't available. He would be huge in this series. To defend Kevin Durant. So now I've got a little bit of inflammation. How do I use Westbrook, who's not been a great postseason player? What do I do with Kevin Durant matchup like Memphis, There's some depth here, but there's a lot to me. This could not in a weird way Kevin Durant. Between getting hurt in warm ups and now resting for the last couple of games, You're getting the most rested, healthiest Kevin Durant in like years. And I think Phoenix is going to be a handful for the Clippers. I love Phoenix here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I'm really low on the Clippers in general, Colin. I don't know how many times we have to go into the season with everybody like preaching that they're one of the favorites for them to not fulfill that, for us to finally learn our lessons. They don't have good rim protection, they don't have good playmaking, and that makes that's two vitally important things that you have to have to succeed in the playoffs. You know, this is this is what the Clippers are. They are a team with a bunch of wings that are wings in name only that don't move as well as they used to.
Speaker 4: Right, I got a lot of guys.
Speaker 5: Like Marcus Morris and Nick Batoum and Ry Covington, guys that once upon a time would have been vital, important playoff pieces, but they're just not that anymore. And Covington's out of the rotation. Marcus Morris has been hurt, but Toom's okay, you know, but every the problem is they without Paul George, they simply do not have enough shot creation. Right, There's three guys on the team that can create their own shot Kawhi Leonard, Russell Westbrook and Norman Powell. And Norman Powell's runs hot and cold. I mean, obviously he destroyed the Lakers the other day, but he runs hot and cold. Russell Westbrook, the game has to be going a very specific type of way for him to have impact. And as good as Kawhi Leonard is and he's made strides as a playmaker, he's a pull up shot maker. Like he doesn't pressure the rims super well, and he's not the best passer in the world. So it's like, yeah, he'll get you his thirty by knocking down his pull up jump shots. But He's not a guy that can really carry an offense over the course of a game. And so what they really are is a team that doesn't have a lot of shot creation. They're a good team, but I don't think they have nearly the playoff ceiling they need Without Paul George, I think I think the Suns are going to make quick work of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and also the Sons are a team between Durant's health and Chris Paul's age. He had a great game about a week ago, but like he kind of just gave you, hey, I'm not done yet. I'm fine, I'm good here. But they got a huge break because that's a team Boston. I feel a little bit with Tatum sometimes in Robert William's health and Marcus Smart, like they don't need to play together. Like we know the Celtics are fine, They've been playing together now for years. They need time off, you know, Tatum needs rest. I feel that way with Phoenix, like Chris Paul and Durant, what they need is like five days off those legs going into a playoff series. So I'm with you. Phoenix hasn't lost yet with Durant on the floor. I mean it's and it looks really good. You know, that's because Kevin's a high functioning player and Chris Paul is one of the smartest guys in the league. And that's where I think sometimes with Ayton they've been frustrated. Moni's been frustrated, Chris has he I think sometimes Chris Paul's really demanding on his bigs, like he's really hard on them, and so like everywhere he goes, the team gets better and the big doesn't like him. But I think Kevin Durant' a unique I wouldn't call him a big, but a unique four that plays at such a high level of basketball, like really gets the game. I just think him and Chris are going to be magic. And I don't think any I really don't. You know, we'll see With Denver, Denver still, believe it or not. Despite they've been good for several years, they're still a pretty young team. They don't have a lot of playoff success. So I think Phoenix is going to role. What did you make of the Dallas punting those last two games of the season.
Speaker 4: I think I was.
Speaker 2: Reading some Dallas media reports it's a it's as show, it's a mess. Well, you know, they hired a guy from Nike who's never been really a GM, but he was in the basketball division. Very smart guy, a relationship guy, and now they put him in charge of running you know, basketball ops. And you know, I like Mark Cuban. I think he's really smart. He tends to be what I would call a tech optimist. He has so much confidence in his intelligence that he takes big swings and he hits you know, his pharmaceutical companies brilliant. I understood. I mean it was funny when they went and got Kyrie Irving. I applauded it. I said, I like the swing. This is going to be an atrocious defensive team. These are two of the worst. I mean, Kyrie is an abysmal defensive player. And so when people kind of embrace this as a championship team, I'm like, guys, the Warriors and Celtics were the two best defensive teams in the league. Like, you can't win that way. You can't just score your way. You can't you can't have to score one twenty six a night. It just doesn't work that way in this sport. And I think people think it's that. And then then if you've ever had a buddy who goes and plays in the NBA. It's like, man, they grind you. There's a lot of contact in this league. In the playoffs, they doubles down on it. That's why you know Kyrie pre impost Lebron, he gets pushed around. It was Lebron was a little bit of a bodyguard, and you have to surround Kyrie with certain elements. I also think increasingly Luca is a moody player, and he's going to be really hard to find the Robin. You know, we talked about this. The hardest thing in basketball is to find the janis that once in a franchise player. So the Bucks have done it twice, Luel Cinder and Yannis. They got a championship one back in nineteen seventy one right Milwaukee, and they got one with the Honis. It's not a great free agent hub, so you have to kind of build a culture and then eventually Kareem I want out, I want to go West. He did, and so I think when Luca came into the league there was this sense is he could pair him with a lot so they try the slash heir porzingis. They don't like each other and then they tried Jalen Brunson and they're like, oh, they don't really fit. Well, Jalen's been like an MVP guard play in New York. Well let's try Kyrie. Well, now Kyrie doesn't perfectly work for him. We're falling in love with this great hyper offensive player Moody, difficult needs ball, won't defend. You know, is he gonna end up Carmelo Anthony where he has this early success in Denver and never really then galvanizes people. I mean you start looking at the great players of all time. Everybody needed a running mate, Like Magic galvanized people. Lebron galvanized people. Michael didn't, but he found a running mate, right Like some guys don't do that, but they find a guy. Tim Duncan finds his Tony Parker, Steph finds his clay Like. It's way harder to find a two because it's not just the player, it's the temperament. McHale was the college You wouldn't remember this because you're young. He led the nation in rebounding. He was known as a defensive guy that rebounded at Minnesota, and he came to the NBA with all these weird moves and he was super long. Kind of an unorthodox looking scorer, but he was a great rebounder, a shot blocker in college and byrd was a score. Well, Michae could have scored more, but he's like, Okay, I'm going to be part of this bosh in Miami. I want to be part of this Kevin Love and Cleveland Lebron, I'm going to be part of it. Like Luca's gonna make you feel small. He's not gonna help you on the defensive end. He's not gonna you're gonna get the ball late in the shot clock with him. I think lucas harder to play with than people think. And I you say, well, Michael was difficult, but Michael got the right coach, also found a very willing Robin, and then he had high functioning players. Kurran Packson became gms like they knew how to play with Michael. They understood Michael was the guy those Bowl teams had really high. Bj Armstrong becomes a power agent, like you had a lot of guys around Michael that knew how to play the game and appeal to his senses and his alpha. That's hard like that that Lucas gonna be hard to play with, and I think we have to come to terms with it.
Speaker 5: He's entering a very important phase of his basketball development because he's starting to just slightly plateau a little bit. And you know, I love the way you broke it down, Like you have to be willing to buy into this like larger concept of the team because for instance, like you can break it down on a simple math level. Okay, Luca, high pick and roll is worth you know, one point two points per possession. Therefore, if we run it one hundred times in a game, we're going to score one hundred and twenty points. That's great, you know what I mean. But there is a basketball team is a living organism and all the pieces fit together, and like it would behove Luca to start to learn how to adjust his game to fit better with others because of the specific fact that he will be on more talented teams as time go along. This has worked. He went to the Western Conference finals last year. I'm not trying to criticize him overall in terms of what he's capable of, but the reality is is like, hey, if you you know, give the ball to Kyrie and maybe instead of running a hi I pick and roll where you dribble the air out of the basketball for seventeen seconds. Maybe you run down the floor and come off of a wide screen and use that as a dribble handoff and get downhill. You can use your same skill set, that same vision, that same size and strength and shot making ability more within the flow of what a team can do as a unit together, and then embracing getting in shape to be able to be a more of an impact player defensively. I think, look, here's the thing, the pouting. I absolutely believe that has a negative effect on the psyche of a basketball team when they see their star constantly bitching and moaning at the refs and when he's constantly not running back on defense and you can tell his head is not in it. I again, I loved how you brought up Carmelo Anthony because that's such an interesting comp.
Speaker 2: I mean, they're christ different positions, but in everybody said they love Carmelo. Man, he gave you it was about Carmelo getting his shot. He wouldn't even adjust to a three point shot like it was bizarrely rigid in his style of play.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent like they're not the same player obviously, It's more just relative to the rest of the league and the way his progression went, Like like Lebron was a little bit better than Carmelo, and over the years, Lebron kept getting better and Mellow just kind of stayed the same. I mean, you got moderately better in some areas of his offensive skill set, but he never became an impact defensive player. He never became a top tier playmaker. He never evolved in those other areas of his game.
Speaker 2: And was and was threatened by yes, yes, And I think Luca at times feels a little threatened. First of all, he's from outside of the country, so players like that, I mean, you have to ingratiate yourself to a new culture and a new country. That's really difficult. The other thing, Jason is if you'll get Dirk Novinsky and Dallas probably as beloved a player as the league's had. Everybody loved Dirk, not everybody loves Luca. He's got a much more temperamental, moody personality, so he's naturally gonna create some disharmony in the room. He's just a moody guy. Dirk wasn't, so the Mavericks multiple times switched pieces with Dirk. Almost you know, almost everything worked with Dirk. It just didn't get a championship, but like he didn't have there was no like clashes of culture. Everybody liked Dirk, nobody likes Luca. Like it's a big difference. I think Luca is a better player. But at this point, somebody said this years ago to me, They're like, in football, halftime, defense goes to the right, offense goes to the left. In baseball, a third of the teams in the bullpen, it's thirteen dudes on the bench every practice on that plane, Like if one guy's music's too loud on the plane. Now you have headphones now, but you know years ago it's like one guy can ruin an NBA locker room, and if the star is difficult, it's a bad locker room. I think the maps are a bit of an s show right now. And I think Luca, I mean again, they're gonna they're gonna put the pr people to work in Dallas. It's all good. Luca is gonna love it. But when you watch him play, he aggravates me at times with his barking to the officials, Like on every play.
Speaker 5: It's such a love hate relationship for me because as a basketball fan, there's so many things with Luca that I'm drawn to. Like I he is one of the best players that I've ever seen in terms of getting beating people off the dribble without an athletic advantage, which is so hard to do. It's like it's kind of the Austin Reeves thing, like it's all it's all misdirection, and and like having every move a revocably attached to a counter move that's equally as effective, and in never telegraphing your moves. And like Luca, there's so many things that I love about his game and I hate watching him because of his approach. Not only would the heliocentric you know, just dribble the air the basketball every time, but also with the attitude stuff.
Speaker 4: And again it's a crossroads.
Speaker 5: He's either going to be the Carmelo of this era or he's going to be an all time great. And you know what, you know, what's interesting is if you would ask everybody two years ago, you know, or all of you just say last year during the Western Conference Finals, who are the two best players you know that you'd want for the next ten years, it'd be Jiannis and Luca and he'd be pretty close, right Like, they'd be neck and neck with a slight edge to Giannis. I hope it doesn't end up being one of those situations where Yannis just dramatically decorates himself because Luca Plateau's that's a problem potential.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, Lebron was more physically gifted than Carmelo, but as they drifted apart, a lot of it was Lebron got along with more players, could play with more players, was more amenable to different styles. I mean, Miami had no size. He and Wade were duplication. He never liked Mario Chalmers. I mean it was like they threw him with Ray Allen's and Shane Battier's and Mike Miller's and Lebron made it work. At the time, Spot was a kid coach and Lebron made it work. And then he goes to Cleveland again and he makes it work, and he goes to Los Angeles and he makes it work. If you give Lebron, I mean, Jr. Smith was fun, but I think people forget he and Lebron were pretty good together, and Jr. Smith was weird and you know, a little eccentric and some viewed as difficult, kind of an iso act, you know, super talented. Lebron made it work. Lebron and him were close, despite that one time out right that they called so And I think Jannis sort of is amenable to a lot of different teammates and players. Luca so far isn't like I mean, look at they just bring in Jay Crowder and then Joe Ingles and Drew Holliday and Chris Middleton was like they stole him. I think from like Detroit, He's worked with all of them. He works with everybody, and Brook Lopez another big He's not threatened at all, Like it matters a lot, and it's just like I always felt Carmelo was threatened. Luca feels a little threatened. Jannis never does. Lebron never has. I mean, God, he goes into Miami, it's d Wade City.
Speaker 4: And it's like, all right, let's go for it.
Speaker 2: I mean he could have picked anywhere to go, right, he goes to the probably the single most beloved player in any city. I'll go to your city. I mean that was rife with issues. Could you have seen Carmelo going down there and making it work, his insecurities would have just flourished. So I yeah, I'm not I'm not anti Luca, but it's just like we've got to have I think we're moving to the second phase, which is okay. Not all these issues are Carmelo Anthony's teammates. Summer Carmelo.
Speaker 3: The Volume.
Speaker 2: Make sure to check out The Draymond Green Show. I brought Draymond Green into the Volume because one of the more entertaining voices in sports. Unique perspective understands behind the rope also chops up with guests like Gary Payton, Zach Levine, Tracy McGrady. Make sure download The Draymond Green Show wherever you get your podcasts, only on the Volume podcast Network.