Speaker 1: Hey, this is Kyle Stowers and you're listening to Fish on First Miss Unfiltered, Episode one sixteen, the final episode before the Major League trade deadline, which is on August third at six pm. We've had a couple of trades here and there, but nothing crazy.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Isaacy is currently on a nice little vacation in Barbados. But we are here with Eli Sussman, founder of Fish on First and we had aj our co host AJ. How we doing. I know you had the Astro series didn't go very well, but after that, well I forgot it actually got quite worse and Marms lost three more and then and then they things started looking for the better. But how's everything going?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty crazy times with deadline. We already saw the Mets make a move. A couple moves been going on here and there, but I think everything is all waiting for school to get moved to this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, first of all, you know, uh, with Isaac being in Barbados, that's that's pretty sick.
Speaker 4: Uh. So I'm a little bit jealous of him.
Speaker 3: I haven't been out there before, but but yeah, man, when I was there in Houston, uh, it was the Jordaan Alvarez show.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 3: It was impressive to see man and uh, just what.
Speaker 4: He was able to do.
Speaker 3: And what's crazy is mate, when he did play uh left field, Uh, he was kind of lollygagging on some of those seas, taking taking it easy on some of the balls. So, uh, it just shows like how how impactful his bat is and he was able to win some ball games.
Speaker 5: And it was right in the middle of that, of that losing streak.
Speaker 3: And you know, we were just talking and I looked up the most games that I've been most games that I've lost on a in a in a season has been eight games in a row.
Speaker 4: And that happened in.
Speaker 3: Actually twenty thirteen, I think it was eleven games that we had lost, and then in fourteen was eight games, fifteen, it was eight games around there. And when you're in those stretches, it seems like you're finding.
Speaker 4: New ways to lose ball games.
Speaker 3: It seems like, you know, first of all, the guys that were carrying you, the guys that were hot, those are the guys that start to slump.
Speaker 4: And then whereas before those guys would be.
Speaker 3: Kind of carrying you, then all you needed was one or two guys producing at least one productive ab, whether it be a walk that scores or a base hit that scores a run or a stolen base or something like that. And when you don't get that production from the top of the order, the bottom of the order has to kind of take over, and those are the guys that haven't been really performing that well. So and then all of a sudden, your better pitchers have a rare, rare bad outing right, and it just seems like there's you're finding new ways to lose ballgames. Defense is a little shaky every once in a while, and then once you start getting to the seven eight game losing streaks, it seems like, all right, we got to switch something. And it's I think even Marci or somebody said it in one of the post games, is like, well, oh, Niner when he was on MLB network set up, We're just happy to have music after the games again, because you don't really want to listen to music after those long stretches of losing. So it's really cool to Uh, I'm happy that.
Speaker 4: That losing streak's over.
Speaker 3: It was great to get it against the Phillies against some great pitching. I think it shows that this team has a lot of fight in them.
Speaker 2: Still, Yeah, a couple of things on that losing streak before we get out of it. The omitted unique is that almost all those games were closed too, like them were decided by two runs or less throughout the whole thing, which on one end tells you like, this team isn't that far away from being who we thought they were a lot of the season. At the same time, it's extra excruciating to have the tying runs come to the plate again and again and again and fall up short, finding different ways to just be on the losing end of those. And then the other thing about how I mean in baseball, one of the great things about being in a slump is that there's always the next day. You're probably gonna have a game to turn things around. But this one coincided with the All Star break, so it was the only stretch of the whole schedule where you have four straight days off to stretch it out even longer.
Speaker 6: And that's why as a whole it went seventeen.
Speaker 2: Eighteen days between wins, just because it was kind of bad luck in that regard that it like over left with a break, which I think from a fans perspective. I know people out there made it feel even that much worse just because they had to kind of stew.
Speaker 6: In those bad feelings a little bit longer than usual.
Speaker 1: One guy I wanted to shout out during this two guys, actually, Griffin Conin first of all, coming out of the break, he has a nine to forty seven ops. He has four home runs eight RBIs. I mean, very good stretch. He had to walk off to snap the streak, then hit the game winning homer the uh in that serious finale against Philly, and then Bert continues to do what he's doing. Is seven and forty four ops, three homer, seven RBIs. I mean them two have been hug huge. Joe McK as well, he's been really good in this stretch. Kind of cool down a little bit offensively this last series against the Phillies. But those are three guys that have been pretty much a mainstay, especially Conine. With you know, the injury to Casey Stowers having to move out from to first, he's getting a lot more playing time, and I'm curious to see what the deadline looks for someone like Griff who could potentially go somewhere else to get more playing time. At least consistently, and there is a lot of need for the outfield. But Eli, let's talk about the deadline. This is a very interesting situation. The Marlins aren't out of it by any means that they are still very much in this race. I think the issue isn't the amount of games out, but more the amount of teams that are still in it, which is kind of why we are hearing the reports and why we can kind of confirm more or less that the Marls won't be exactly buying it the deadline. They won't be acquiring players on one year deals, kind of like what we were saying, like a Robbie Ray or Mike Waka or those type of players. Unfortunately, it's probably just gonna be more of a retool for twenty twenty seven. And I think the big thing to note here too is the Marlins are in a position where they don't need to actually do anything. If they really wanted to, they could keep this team exactly how it is. You bank on Maximy returning at one point, you hope that Anthony Bender returns as well, You get some relievers back, and this team could compete for a playoffs. But they're all under cloud control for multiple years. The only impending for agent is Pete Fairbanks, who the last two outings that actually looked really good, probably the two best outings of his season against two formidable opponents Phillies, which was actually it's just Phillies. Phillies did very well. But Eli, where do you think things stand right now? It seems like a lot of teams are taking that similar approach, except maybe what the Padres and Pirates, who do seem like they may be buying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couple of things stood out. One right in the middle there you mentioned how they just have somebody gas in multiple years of club control, like they can.
Speaker 6: They really like this group.
Speaker 2: There's no pressure to move them because they have these guys around for years without having to lift a finger on them, and they have them very affordably too. Some of the best players on this team that for the moment are earning pretty close to the league minimum, and they're going to get well deserved raises moving forward. But even for a team like the Marlins like there isn't that imminent urgency to make a decision on these guys. The big elephant in the room hovering over this deadline is Tarek Scuoble the Tigers, and the main thing is just as much as the fact that he's an amazing pitcher and the two time defending say young Wood, whenever, it's the fact that he's a pending free agent and that the Tigers know that they're probably not going to pay him hundreds of millions of dollars to keep them the rest of his career. And that's why those are the guys that tend to move during the deadlines, is rentals or guys that are close to being to free agency a little bit. With the Marlins, they just don't have a ton of them. You mentioned one of them in Pete Fairbanks. And what's really interesting about relievers is that it could flip really quickly, Like all the information we have about these pictures, if things just tick up for even a week at a time at the right time, then all of a sudden, that looks like a guy who these teams are able to say they have confidence in moving forward. And so it's not the craziest thing to imagine Fairbanks in the midst of what's been the worst year of his career still being interesting in other clubs. And again, the Marlins are in that situation where they paid him thirteen million dollars this year and haven't been satisfied with the results. So I don't think they're gonna be in line to be the highest bidders for him this upcoming off season. So that's a situation where even if they're gonna try to win games down the stretch, even if as you see you here, they're still very much in the thick of things. That's that's the name that naturally they're going to listen to any offers that they may get on him just.
Speaker 6: Because of that.
Speaker 2: But the other complication that you mentioned there is they have guys that are injured that one of them, Owen Casey, he's.
Speaker 6: About to come back.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be good news, but just about everybody else on the il, their timelines are a little bit more blurry.
Speaker 6: We don't know when.
Speaker 2: Exactly Max is gonna be back. It's it's probably gonna be September or the very earliest. And Anthony Bender has been such a key piece of this bullpen unhealthy, but he's been gone a while and there's still like some steps for him to take on his rehab before he's even have a firm deadline on him coming back. So that's kind of the complication is that you feel like, potentially, when this team is whole again health wise, that they could reel off another month that they did in June. Is just that there's going to be this gap in between that what do you do. You're not gonna buy for like one month, You're not gonna buy just to put together one particular team for August. When you make those decisions, I think this team as a whole is always going to be long term focused. When they make any acquisitions, it's gonna be with the idea of we think this guy for the rest of this year and potentially for years beyond, this is going to be helpful to our team. So that's what it's complicated to swing these deals because they're gonna be looking for players that can help them now. But as they've been pretty clear that they're not gonna be chasing the Schoobls, they're not gonna be chasing those under pending free agents. They're going to try to find somebody from outside the organization that can help them both now and later. And later is gonna be the slightly higher priority than.
Speaker 1: Right now, and I think a good example of that was what the Nationals did with Curtis Meade swapping and for Conley Early. Fortunately me got hurt in his first game with the Red Sox. But like you look at that, that's both teams addressing a need from I guess from the debt from what they had to surplus a debt. Right Nationals needed pitching. They get Conley Early, who I think is still on the il, but he's gonna be back at some point and he's gonna be a huge part of their future. Then well, the Red Sox didn't need a right handed bat. They got meed and unfortunately he's hurt. But ag can you see the Marbins doing something like this where they go major league for major leaguer. I think that's been a big thing that's been discussed this deadline, because, hey, the Martins are in a position where they really don't want to trade their prospect. They really shouldn't have to, especially if you're not buying. But I think a really good case of this could be like a Liam Hicks. A lot of teams need catching. There's teams that need catching. The catching market is pretty much is very thin, especially if the Twins are looking to buy, which they did last night, acquiring ag and Mentor from Mets. They really don't need to trade Ryan Jeffers in that case, so that would be one name off the market. Shaylangliers got hurt. That's another name off the market. Hicks could be more valuable to another team that needs catching than New Orleans who they still believe in. Obviously Ramirez that could be behind the play. As much as some may disagree with that, they still believe he is a catcher and the bat's still there and they have Navaretto. They want to go with someone to back up Mac for the rest of the season, and they clearly like Joe Mack and think he is the catcher of the future.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can definitely see them using Hicks, and because, like you mentioned, a lot of teams are looking for that. You think about the Yankees and think about some of the other teams that really need.
Speaker 4: Some catching and a guy that he's a guy that can control the zone.
Speaker 3: He does not a lot of not a swing and miss in his in his bat, So a few teams can use that. A consistent ab that is going to get on Basi's not going to expand the zone and also can can do well behind the plate. So he is definitely someone that you can get a lot back or get a good a decent haul back for or could be a major league to major league type thing.
Speaker 4: And most important, it's one of those.
Speaker 3: Situations where the Marnas don't feel like they absolutely need to move him as well, so they can they get the price can be higher for him because they're like, hey, listen, you want them, this is what it's gonna cost because we don't really not really trying to move them. And when you're in that that, uh, that situation, I feel like you make the best decisions because you're not in a you're not deficient in any way. You have everything you need. You see how you can maneuve him around first base, d h, whatever it is in your rosters. So it's not like he's jamming up anybody, and he does. He has he's in fits in good with that rotation. He's a he's a great clubhouse guy. So it's not like you absolutely need to move him. But I definitely can see a world where they can get a major league type talent back, maybe another arm maybe uh something like that, a bullpen bullpen arm from somebody because he is a valuable player. He's shown his worth, he's shown that he's continued to figure out the process and get better as his career is going. So I can definitely see a major league to major league type swap for that.
Speaker 1: And that's a big thing too, right because I think we see all these reports right now where hey, the Marlins are listening to everyone except Sandy Ury and so and so. I mean they have to. You have to listen there. You can't just say you're gonna hold all these players because what if all of a sudden you get an offer they can't say no to. I'm sure the Marlins and the off season weren't actively trying to trade Ryan Weathers. I'm sure the kabirthing was a little different, but Weather's for sure. You weren't actively trying to move in. You get an offer that you can't say no to, you got to do it. I think that's why you're hearing Auto, Lopez, Xavier Edwards, Hicks all those names out there because they have to listen. And it's the right thing to do, because if you get an offer for Auto that you say, damn, I don't think I could pass up on this auto Lopez is gonna be gone, and it's unfortunate, but he's gonna be gone, and they have If there's one thing that the Marlins do have in the organization is in field depth, and they could probably just go through something, you know, have some sort of plan for the remainder of this season, and then you have some pretty good prospects for twenty seven. The same thing goes with second base and the catching positions already filled out. So Elo, how do you think the war was attack this deadline? These next couple of days, I feel like we are probably gonna start seeing some moves between Well, we're recording this Friday, so I'm assuming we'll get some more moves here and there as we go through this, But Monday is the big day.
Speaker 2: It is annoying how it feels like every year they procrastinate more and more, they push it more and more to the deadline day itself. The fact that we're three days out and I pulled up the list before, like, the biggest trade still right now is probably need for Connelly Early. The Mets made their first selling trade last night. It's sending away aj Minter, guy who's pitched pretty well. When healthy, but he's barely been healthy the past couple of years, and not quite worried what he was as a World Series here five years ago. The only thing I wanted to touch on was with Otto. I mean, I don't think I'm alone in this. I think it's nuts that his name is even out there a little bit. You can't really emphasize how aw he's been this year. He's been like, easily this team's most valuable player all year long. He is, until like the last day or two, is leading the entire major leagues and hitting, and he was doing it while playing a good shortstop, and he was doing it while being on pace for thirty steals. And he's running the prime of his career. And I mean every single stat will tell you how awesome he is, including just overall value wins above replacement, Like in the season ends to stay, he's on MVP ballots. It's gonna be top ten in National League MVP race is on what he's done this year. He's been a top ten player in the National League this entire season. And the Marlins having for three more years, I think the idea that they can just they have other depth and other options, like no offense to the prospects in the system, but like it'd be, like, what's funny about it is that there's no way you could have imagined when the Marlins acquired him as a waiver claim as a DFA guy, that he would turn into this I turn into an All Star. But at the same time, it's really hard to believe even a top prospect. It's hard to assume that any prospect is gonna reach this level, even if they're really highly rated right now. So to me, I just think it creates an amazing void for this team at the end of dealing him, and it's a big step back when the finances aren't an issue, when the personality isn't an issue. Like he's such a core piece of this team that I think he's the one guy that I would have liked to see the Mardins make him off limits. I know that they have through back channels, they've kind of made it clear that Joe Mack is kind of a keeper for them, And I just feel like Otto was in that same conversation. If not, you know, he's the better offensive player, and he's also that up the middle premium defender as well, Like I would have liked to see them kind of send out the feelers, like just to make it clear that he's not available. In the fact that they're open to it, I think it does speak to the reality that this is probably gonna be the best year of his career, and I guess it is selling high on him if they do move him. But at the end of the day, the project you're in this to win games. You're in this like figure out what's going to be whether it's this year or next year that you're actor, like, what's gonna be the version of this team that is actually gonna sniff championship contention, And to me, he's just such an integral piece of that. So I kind of understand almost all the other rumors outside of that one, because even if they're going to get a lot in return, by the time people listen to this will have a mock proposal from Kevin out there about a prospect package that they could get potentially.
Speaker 6: That would be a fair deal.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, it's guys that have so much haven't done anything. That's generally how this usually goes, Like they'll try to thread that needle you just talked about. The major leaguer from major leaguer trades, so they'll try to get that done. Maybe there is something creative out there that I'm not thinking of. It's just that usually when somebody is going to make that deal, the vast majority of the time, it is major leaguer from minor leaguers, And in this case, I just I'm not to me, he's just more valuable than any combination of minor leaguers out there, just because we've seen him do it. He's just a really reliable guy. And even if this is the best year of his career, even if he comes down to earth afterwards, I think that's a guy that you build around that they that has been such a great development for them, and so I'd hate for them to see him more as an asset instead of just being as a you know, a person and it's just a key individual with this organization.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm on you with that. With with Auto, especially like on one hand, I've never really been a big prospect type guy. I guess, like I I'm not a scout, I'm not in anything like that. I just played with some prospects and been around prospects that never made it, and and so like when you get someone like Auto Lopez, who who's been tried and true and is you know, producing a lot like are you sure that a prospect is gonna be able to reach that ceiling like like you mentioned. But the other thing is, I'm sure they have projection models. I'm sure they have all these different things. And if it's something where maybe you think that this is the best that it can get, then maybe, like you mentioned, maybe you do sell high on him to get back a good prospect. But again, it's they're not in a position that they need to move Auto.
Speaker 4: They don't.
Speaker 3: It's not something that needs to be done so that price can be even higher. So I definitely get why you you listen on him, but you probably are telling other teams that the price is really high. If you want him, you can have them, but it's gonna cost you exactly.
Speaker 1: And you look at this from Marlin's perspective. Let's say they do trade Auto. That's not a very good position right now that you want to be in for the remainder of this season. You have son Oha, who I honestly prefer him as more of a utility guy who doesn't really play every day. I think that's where he thrives best. I think if you put some in everyday role where he has been for the most part this season because of injuries or just struggles at their base, thing's gonna work out how they wanted it to. He really hasn't been great, and I and you know what, that's fine, at least for the season. You could go through that. But Leo, he meant it as a combo of Lao Auto, I mean, sorry, son Oha. I guess Maximo Costa would have been the right option in triple A, but he's hurt and he hasn't even been good when Yeah.
Speaker 6: I don't want to him.
Speaker 2: We've been really quiet about a coast this year. He was one of the top prospects in the organization last year. He saw him in the Vagleys last year. I think as we're speaking right now, he's in an er for twenty five slump something like that.
Speaker 6: Does it hurts though?
Speaker 2: I think he's no he recently since it's coming back from the injured pless he I would prefer if he was hurt right now because he's I think he's hitless the last couple of weeks that has been Ah, that's I think that's just one of those factors that makes me think that man that drop off from auto to who's ever next in line? I don't know who is next in line at that short sided position. And that's just something they shouldn't take for granted. They've for a lot of this organizations this year. They've been in the wilderness, you know, trying to patch shortstop together. And it's uh, it's when you have a guy that works at that spot. I think you really gotta embrace it and not take it for granted.
Speaker 7: Tod Father, are you hitting some games this summer? What's the deal?
Speaker 8: Of course, it's real simple, Scottie Braun.
Speaker 4: You know how it is.
Speaker 8: You go to Seat Geek and you can find any deal you want in any section you want, even if the game sold out. Go to Seat Geek and you'll find something that you love, affordable for your family, that you can enjoy anywhere, anytime, at any ballpark in stadium you want enjoy it. It's the best opportunity to go see a beautiful game.
Speaker 7: Of baseball, and that's the thing that you can be so last minute.
Speaker 9: Sea Gek is the official ticket marketplace of Major League Baseball. They have you covered for all of your baseball ticket needs the entire summer. They also have over seventy thousand events on sea geek that includes concerts, festivals, all kinds of sporting events.
Speaker 7: So go check it out right now, FTFAM.
Speaker 9: The code is Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at sea Geek. That's ten percent off with promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app, and then the code automatically is added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: I think the second base conversation is the easier want to have, and that seems to be the name that is popping up more X. I know twenty twenty three, I know or good buddy Craig Mischa told us that he almost got traded to the Nationals and the Janimercondalario trade. I know there in for X back in this offseason especially, Boston was looking for a guy Boston back on the market. The Athletic reporting that Xavier Edwards is a name of interest for the Red Sox. We obviously know the reports for Auto, but X as well, and X probably seems to be a guy that is more attainable than Auto, and I think the long term plan at second base is a little bit easier as well. What would be your thoughts there with X drawing trader and interest, especially at a time where he has been struggling a little bit this, you know, since coming out of the All Star break, finally seems to be getting it going. But you look at the overall body of work, it is very good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean X is a phenomenal player. He's a guy that is a good clubhouse guy. He's work I think, is great switch hitter, he doesn't strike out much, he knows his own. He had gone through a little bit of a stretch there, but I mean that that happens throughout the season no matter how good you are, So I think, yeah, I mean he's a little bit more attainable, like you guys mentioned than Otto Lopez. And I mean when you look at if you know it does go through or if you know Boston is after him, I mean you understand why you'd want him on the roster.
Speaker 4: You'd be a good fit there with their style of play.
Speaker 3: So but yeah, I definitely think that that's there's somebody. I mean, again, you listen to all these guys. And you guys mentioned Pete Fagut Fairbanks earlier. You know, he's fifteen for sixteen to save opportunities, you know, and and he's.
Speaker 5: His underlying numbers are great.
Speaker 3: It's just you go through a stretch where you just start giving up runs for whatever reason, maybe not having the best season of his of his career, but a couple of those are blow up games. And so yeah, man, I mean you listen to all these guys. You you try to see who you can get the most for what the best fits that you can get from whatever organization that's reaching out, And you try to because it's not just for this year, it's for the future. And and so if you think that you can get someone or something back that is going to produce more than what you have with X, then for sure, you're gonna listen to it. And I like the way that they evaluate players.
Speaker 4: To the Marlins do.
Speaker 3: It feels like they have more of an understanding of how to maximize each prospect to get the most out of them. So I feel like when if they do trade one of these core guys, that they're gonna get something back that is gonna help out have a good shot with that, you know they'll be able to use their system to optimize.
Speaker 4: Whoever they get back for that. But yeah, you definitely got to.
Speaker 3: Listen to everyone that's reaching out for all these players and try to see come up with the best deal to be better in the future. Because they're on their way. They're real close to being contenders every year, like they have this process, So just making sure that you have that in mind and that you don't give away something that is gonna make that process longer. You want to make sure you get some stuff back that's going to shorten that gap. Keep shortening that gap so that you're gonna be a four in this national league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the final thing worth noting here before we move on is Peter Bendix wants to win next year. I think that is very obvious. This team is a good team for the most part. Another twelve game losing streat and I think fully represents you know, this team. I think you know, you look at the games. It was losing by three runs or less almost all of them except maybe one of them. So that's one thing. And the other thing that Peter Benex has said on the record is that, like you know, he wouldn't be doing his job if he doesn't listen, And that kind of goes back on like you gotta listen on these guys, although I do agree you should not be listening on Auto. I think you gotta listen on the rest of the guys. But I want to talk about two guys who won't get traded, Sandy el Contra and Urie Press. Sandy has been looking like Sandy. I don't know how much of it is now knowing the assurance that he won't get moved this this trade deadline in his last eleven starts. So looking from June on he has a two nine to ninety or a three six one fifth. He he's been really good. There's another way to say it. He just came off his one hundred and eleventh career. You're quality outing the most enfranchised history, surpassing Rick in Alasko seven shutout inning and seven shutout innings in a one to zero win against the Philadelphia Phillies.
Speaker 4: AJ.
Speaker 1: What do you seeing from Sandy? This is starting to look like the Sandy we saw before the TJ.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's subtle changes. Honestly, it's it's more of his command being on the corners and executing those pitches on both sides of the plate. I mentioned before that whenever he has his bad outings, it's when his the pitches in the are in the middle of the plate. And I did a breakdown a little bit on one of the the pregame shows and showed the outings where he was the worst is whenever the grouping of all of his pitches were dense in the middle of the plate. It didn't even matter if it's at the top of the zone or the bottom of the zone. For whatever reason, guys are able like his stuff doesn't break as well when it's in the middle of the plate, and so they're they're teeing off on him when he gets stuck in the middle of the plate. But whenever he's on the corners, when he throws that change that goes armside, that just falls just off the plate, when he throws that for sea that's up in the zone, when he throws his breaking balls at are gloves side, just off the plate and landing that that back door slider that he throws back door that cut her back door, that's.
Speaker 4: Whenever he's the best.
Speaker 5: And then it could be a little bit of knowing of the security of I'm not gonna get moved, honestly, whenever, whenever I was in trade conversations, and even you know, David Samsum told me, hey, you're gonna get moved.
Speaker 3: H you know, we're shopping you. You're more than likely you're gonna get traded. It was hard not to think about that because you start wondering, you know, where am I gonna go? What's it gonna be? Like there's a little bit of excitement in there, but it's energy taken away from what you have to do at the field. I remember that guy was they were I was asking him like, oh, so, who are some of the teams and he was talking about the Rockies.
Speaker 4: I was like, no, I don't want to pitch.
Speaker 3: And even though my numbers were good there, I mean, it was only I only had to pitch a few games there, you know. So I was like, oh, no, please, not like Colorado. And he's like, ah, we gotta get the best deal, you know, like Samson's voice, so you know. And then so when when you're Sandy and it's been constant talk about, you know, getting traded, and a year after year, and then to finally hear the owner say, you know, he's we're not looking to trade him. Has to be some sort of comforting sensation and just worrying about trying to be the best you can out there. I mean, there was always that element of him trying to go out there and be the best version, but he's human. Off the field, stuff will will come in to a certain degree and it happens to the best of the best, and it could be one of those things where he'll never admit to it, but he feels a little bit lighter on top of you know, he was never pitching really bad. It was just execution was just, I mean literally like a little bit off. And now that he's hitting those corners, it seems like he's thrown with a lot of confidence, and uh yeah, he's he's the Cavao again.
Speaker 1: I think I want to get into Zieri, who just came off a very nice adding against the New York Matts. Six innings, three hits, two runs, one of those was earned. Struck out six walk two in his last ten outings since starts. This includes the tampon where he gave up the five runs. He's a two to two ERA three to two FIP I mean, I think a big reason for this, and I think you look back at that start against Tampa from there on, that's when he started adding the sinker to his pitch. Makes how much do you think that's made an impact for him?
Speaker 4: Aj?
Speaker 1: I know the pitch hasn't actually graded out at league average or above that, but I still think it's just less usage. Probably needs to use it a little more to up that that run value. I think it's that negative one right now. May have gone up after last night's start, but just how important has that pitch been to play out the fast ball in his other pitches.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's throw in that sinker fifteen percent, which is the second most pitch that he's thrown.
Speaker 4: Other than slider.
Speaker 3: He throws his four team forty one percent. And that sinker it gets what's the average on it? It gets fourteen inches of or fifteen inches of tail, almost sixteen inches of tail. Then you add that to his for team, that has a lot of ride on it, and it probably comes out of his hand similar it's just an extra wrinkle so that when he does throw his sweeper and maybe it does get over the plate because sometimes he tends to leave it armside and it kind of flutters over the plate when it starts off in that zone. Even if it's over the plate, it starts out it comes out the same slot as that sinker, and so maybe they think a sinker's coming for I mean just a fraction of a second, and that gets guys off to whenever it throws, the slider goes in the middle of the zone, guys mishit it. So it's just something to add a little bit of something to more confidence in it. Honestly, he's to me, his demeanor on the Mounta has been great. He's even shaken off, which is a good sign. And because he he feels like he wants to throw a certain pitch. And when a pitcher has convince conviction in his pitches, honestly, that that matters more than sometimes the right pitch. When you throw a pitch with conviction, a lot of times it works out for you over then throwing a.
Speaker 7: Pitch that's the right technically the right pitch.
Speaker 4: But you don't feel confident in it.
Speaker 3: That that's you know, it doesn't work out a lot most of the time there, even if it is the right pitch. So shaking off understanding what pitch he wants to throw. He's really starting to to to hone in on that, and yeah, he's shaping up to be what everyone thought he could be, and he still has some growing to do, and it's it's fun to watch man and this guy.
Speaker 4: This guy's a freak.
Speaker 2: He touched on something that I think is pretty more about the shaking off And actually it's me that you can tell with some pictures that they're kind of along for the ride. They're almost a passenger in their own like fishing experience or like they you know, whatever, whatever sign.
Speaker 6: They get, they'll they'll go with.
Speaker 2: But I like the guys that are involved enough and that you know, I have a conviction, but like just overall take take themselves seriously enough that they want to be part of that decision making process and are willing to and are also able to better understand themselves. I think that's part of it too, is like recognizing, like this pitch is what I really feel good with today, this is what in this particular matchup. I've done my prep and I think this is actually going to work right here, and being proactive that like more involved part of that process. I love to see that going back to the sinker too. One thing that it does that I've been following throughout Ury's career is it gives him another tool to get self contact on the grounds because he's spent such an extreme flyball pitcher when he came into the league, and he was successful that way as a rookie too, and you know last year up and down as well. And the difference now compared to a couple years ago in terms of how many ground balls he gets is huge.
Speaker 6: Like he was the most.
Speaker 2: Extreme flyball guy in all of baseball a few years ago and now he's pretty close to get into league average. Now you can actually like slice it up by different pitch types. Of the sinker is the one where the launch angle off that pitch is lower than any of his other pitches, so kind of actually measures out what the eye test when it comes to that is that's going to be his most reliable source to get those grounders and for the time being, and going back to some of these trade candidates, like I love the defense of Marlins get up the middle, and the part of that process is how that, like all connects, is that those guys are going to convert those grounders into out some very very high percentage of the time makes your pitchers better when you have really good defenders in the middle infield the way the Marlins have the last couple of years, and it's good to see you're kind of utilizing that more so than he has in the past. He's a guy entering this year I thought he was going to be the best pitcher on the team, and it took him a while to get there, and I think he has gone there. It's a great competition now between him and Sandy. That's the thing is him and Sandy.
Speaker 6: People know this. They've been so close.
Speaker 2: To each other for ever since Yeary was a teenager, like Sandy has taken him under his wing. They've had that great relationship. And the awkward part is there's been like so few patches during their careers where they've both been pitching healthy, both been healthy and pitching well at.
Speaker 6: The same time.
Speaker 2: And this is this is really it, Like this is the clearest overlap that we've had of that, which is just so much fun. So it does seem very likely that we're going to see that the rest of this year, to have that competition, that very friendly competition between the gray Beard the veteran and the up and coming guy that has just as much raw potential. So that's gonna be having those two on top of your rotation. That's such an important foundational aspect of this Marlins team, at least for the rest of this year, hopefully for next year and beyond.
Speaker 6: Two.
Speaker 1: Last thing I wanted to touch on real quick is Jacob Marcy. You were there a j when when Clayton announced that he wouldn't be playing every single day anymore against that's much specifically right handed pitching. Marcy had been, you know, the guy who had played almost every single game for this Martland steam ump until that finale against Houston. Since then, he's actually been pretty good. I mean, you know, it's a very small sample size, but he still gets on base. He plays good defense. The base running hasn't been the best recently, but overall, you know, you look the overall body work with that, it's been overall pretty good. But you know, hits the homer the other day yesterday actually New York, and he's five for twenty two, which is a nine to fifty eight oh PS two ninety four batting average. He's getting on base like this. This is the Jacob Marcy that we that the Mardel Zee over at the end of the day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean his defense.
Speaker 3: I mean that's he's made some amazing plays on defense man and what he does out there is honestly what kept him in the lineup for a long time while he was going through those stretches. And I feel like one thing I like about what he's doing is he's consistent with his approach. He hasn't tried to switch things around.
Speaker 4: He's still really patient.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of times when guys, if you're working on your patients, working on trying to define your zone, when you start getting too these stretches, playing like Marcy has played like previously, with the exception of the last seven games where he's hitting two ninety four, you start to press and you start to swing out of the zone. You start to overswing and try to swing your way out of the of like the slump. But it seems like he's even though he's going through this, he's going through a downturn as a opposed to like last year, he's still he's learning that process of figuring out the zone when he needs to pull the trigger, when he needs to swing early or whatever.
Speaker 4: He's still he's still.
Speaker 3: Getting that process. So I like that he's sticking to his guns. It's showing that all right, I'm really gonna figure this this this out, because at this point, if you try to switch everything up, that's whenever you really see a drop off and mentally you start getting it's it's worse because you're like you're lost as to a certain degree. At least right now, Uh, you're trusting the process. The process is finally maybe starting to turn a little bit. You start see him hitting, You start seeing him a little bit more confidence in the box when he's walking up there. So it's only a matter of time before you refine that process just enough, just tweak small little tweaks here and there to when they're you're hitting a consistent at a consistent level, producing at a consistent level, and then that's when it's full proof as opposed to switching from here all had a little bit of success. Now I gotta switch again, and switching and switching and switching, you know what I mean. So I think right now he's refining his process. It's starting to kind of come through. So hopefully he continues to on the up and up with this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's five outs above average in the outfield this season, and he's walking twelve point ze percent of the time. And you know he struck out twenty percent last year and he's just a little higher this year twenty two percent. Still, that's that's fine at this level, That's totally fine.
Speaker 2: The Jetski Rentals of South Florida, they presents all of our podcast efforts here on fish on First. Miami's best jet ski in boat adventures. Jetsky Rentals of South Florida, with six jitski locations in over one hundred and twenty boats, there's something for every style and every budget. Right Jetski's Rudding from the Downtown Skyline in Ferris Wheel, or book your own private boat starting as love as three hundred dollars with the captain included, Bring your drinks to your friends and enjoy the water your way. The boat is completely yours for the time you reserve it. The reservation based only to book called three oh five nine nine oh two one nine two or check them out online at SF jet Ski rentals dot com. Make sure to use our promo code fish on First and that gets you a ten percent discount off your next booking again that's three oh five nine nine to oh two one nine two or online at sf jets ski rentals dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, last thing I wanted to get into aj Obviously from the player's perspective, you you've been in the clubhouse for many trade deadlines. What is that like these last couple of days. We spoke about what it is like leading up to these last couple of days. Now we're in this final stretch here where the names really begin. You begin to see names linked with teams, you actually begin to see trades. What is the clubhouse like?
Speaker 4: What was your.
Speaker 1: Experience like when you when you did get moved, and how if you have any stories of anyone who got moved. That was kind of one of on the crazier side of things when when you worry on the marls or on the mets, and because people don't see this human aspect of it, having to switch cities, move to a new city. Talk a little bit about that too, because that's definitely the tough part as well.
Speaker 3: So I think about it now, if I were to have to, if I would have got traded and I had my two daughters and my wife and have to uproot them and move and people think, oh, you have money, you have hiring movers, you can hire all this different you know, hire all these different people.
Speaker 4: But it's still a process.
Speaker 3: That is it's tough because your your kids have made friends, your wife has made friends, you have your own routine, and then all of a sudden it gets uprooted and you got to go somewhere else. Luckily, for me, when I got traded, it was just me. I was single and I was living with G with John Carlos Stanton, and we I had because before I know it's gonna get traded. I rented a hotel room at the SATAI and it was like it's an apartment. It's an apartment basically a residence, and so it was a two bedroom. We will stay out there because I wanted to live on the beach for a little bit because I knew that it was gonna I was gonna get traded and so uh but that was the hardest part, honestly, is moving away and leaving people that were your boys, your friends, that that that you had love for. So I remember, uh, you know, with G, I was like, damn that that was a good run we had.
Speaker 4: Here in Miami. You know, I had a lot of fun. You know, the teams we were on, I.
Speaker 3: Had great chemistry, but never could really win anything. And so be moving whole organizations something that was so familiar, uh to going I went. I got traded to the Mets, and it was, I guess, an easier transition, only because we play the Mets all the time.
Speaker 4: They're in division and so I knew a lot of the guys.
Speaker 3: But still, when you get into a clubhouse, especially when they trade for you, there is amount of pressure that comes with that, And honestly, for me, I loved it. I'm like, yes, I want to be I want to be that that centerpiece that helps these guys go to the playoffs and reach the World Series and all these different things. And so you know, but when you get into a different clubhouse, especially when you get traded, I think for the most part, everyone understands it's a business.
Speaker 4: They know it's not the player's fault if you get traded, so everyone it was. It was a good experience with that.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, with that Mets team, I went over there and they weren't winning any ball games either. It was all wouldn't it wasn't a good, a good time with that aspect, but but yeah, it's a it's an awkward time for sure, And then when it finally happens, you think you're kind of mentally prepared for it, but there's still a lot of things you didn't account for. But ultimately, when you step onto that baseball field and you get out there and practice and stuff, that's whenever everything gets oh okay, it's just baseball but in a different city. But inside the clubhouse, Uh, it's definitely something you try not to focus on, especially if you're know you're going.
Speaker 4: To trade some guys away or you need forgetting some guys.
Speaker 3: You're just focused on who's in that locker room at that very moment and kind of running with that and whoever comes or whoever goes, whatever the swap is, you try to make the best of it. And because your job is your job isn't to play GM. Your job is to go out there and win some ballgames and play well. So that's ultimately what you focus on. But the human aspect does come into play in those situations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to the Marlins credit, I mean I was there for this last year's against Philly. It's business as usual, those don't really feel tense, especially after the losing streak is over. I think it's actually a lot more loose in there, and honestly was a lot more tense thirn the losing streak itself. But yeah, no, they've I also think it's a young team that has a lot of control left, you know, so they I don't think they're you know, you hear the names and all that, but it's maybe a little different for a team that they know they have a lot of years of control, and it's maybe a little bit unlikely that they are moved, especially a guy like a Joe Mack or even Anatto. I don't think he gets traded at the end. But last thing I want to get into, we won't exactly predict trades, but we will predict the amount. So we do this every year. I'm gonna set the number pretty low. Three and a half. I think this is I mean, I can't go hire them that twenty twenty four was a little different, you know, twenty five, well mostly even than I'm set eli four and a half.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, just to recap though, the previous couple of deadlines under Peter Bendix in twenty twenty four, we counted eight deals as deadline deals. They made six on the day of the deadline itself and then a couple where before called it eight of them in twenty twenty four. Last year was only two. Last year was only Nick four, t Is going way and Hay Sisanchez going to Houston, and that was it.
Speaker 6: So, yeah, you picked a number kind of up right in the middle there where, Yeah, I think that.
Speaker 2: Is a good number. But three and a half, and in this case, yeah, I root for more, you know, selfishly as somebody that runs like Marlinside, the people deep down they just want to see activity, even if it doesn't make sense, Like the fans don't know what's good for them, they just know that it's entertaining when the players change teams. So I'm sure a lot of people out there they instinctually they're hoping for the under the over on that, but I'll go under. I think it's either two or three. I'll say three, that they get done a little bit more active than last year, and I think there will be something more substant angel then. All due respect to for Test and Sanchez, but they were kind of extra pieces that had kind of fallen into these.
Speaker 6: More limited roles.
Speaker 2: So I think we see something a little sexier with them, probably one of those names that are out there.
Speaker 6: Who knows which.
Speaker 2: One will be among them, But yeah, I think they get to three trades once the dust settles on Monday.
Speaker 4: Hey, Jay, I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go. I'm gonna have fun. I'm gonna go over four. Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna know who.
Speaker 3: But for for it's gonna be and and we'll see, Uh yeah, it's gonna be a lot of excitement. It's gonna be it's gonna be exciting. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with the under I'm gonna say they make two trades. I think I just don't see them. You know, they'll entertain a lot of offers. We'll be hearing that they almost made deals like last year, but they won't exactly go. You know, they won't pass the finish line on those. I think they make two trades. So we'll wrap it up here. This is the last podcast that we'll do before the trade on at least fun Filtered. I know we have the last stream on Sunday after that Mets series, so and then we have the last stream on Monday. I don't know if you want to talk a little bit about what that'll look like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's gonna be fun. I think we've done that in the previous couple of years. Sometimes they've made a messy and the Marlins have a game that overlaps the deadline, but this time they've cleared the runway.
Speaker 6: It's an off day for the team. Deadlines at six PM.
Speaker 2: I think we'll go live right around five, so there'll probably be some moves done before that moment for us to discuss, and then we'll go through the deadline. And the most fun to me is the fifteen minutes or so after the deadline passes, because there's still time for something to get done even if it hasn't leaked publicly yet, it hasn't been announced, So those fifteen minutes that's why we stay on after the deadline passes, because just in case something might sneak under the wire that reporters didn't get any news of yet, So that suspense is gonna be big. That'll be a Yeah, that'll be a fun show. Well, we don't regardless of how much or how little happens, so we'll have our instant analysis of that on Monday during the off day. Looking forward to having a lot of people tune in for that.
Speaker 1: YEP, So we'll wrap it up here. The next time we'll be honest to talk about these trades with A. J. Will be also with Eli, Isaac will be hopefully back from his Barbados trip, and then I'll see you guys all next week. Peace out, and as always, go fish.