Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Let's also talk a little bit about Wells Fargo, one of the big banks reporting today. Taking a look at their share is actually down slightly today, even though when you take a look at non interest income, a big recovery there. We've been following that story, that measure hitting ten point three billion dollars in the most recent quarter reported. That is a four year high. It's ahead of analysts expectations, but not giving much of a lift to the stock today because the focus really seems to be around margin, that NIM measure, which is coming under some pressure.
Speaker 1: Romain, all right, well, let's talk about that pressure. Mike Sana Massimo joins us right now. The CFO over at Wells afar Ago And obviously, on the surface, Mike, obviously a lot of progress in the quarter, a lot of progress over the last couple of years. But when we talk about average loan growth growing in that twelve percent ranger over year, but net interest income only up five percent, I know you've said in the past that this is temporary, but how long should investors expect that disparity?
Speaker 3: Well, thanks thanks for having me, Romayne, and you know when you look at like the backdrop of the quarter. It was actually a really good quarter and broad based revenue growth across every single business and you know, we can sort of dig into aspects of it, but really good performance across every one of them. And on net interest income, you know, it's progressing exactly as we thought it would, right, so our full year net interest income, you know, guidance is still fifty billion dollars, that's where we sat at the beginning of the year. You're seeing you know, loan growth be a little bit higher than what you know, we have projected in the year. We're also seeing higher interest bearing deposit growth, which is actually a good thing for the long run. So we're deepening you know, our client relationships and the commercial side of the house in particular. We're expecting you know, non intersparing deposites to be more stable, and we were we were thinking they would grow a little bit more earlier in the year. And you know, part of that's the rate environment as rates stay a little bit higher for longer, and so we'll see how that progresses. And then we're seeing really good growth across the markets business where you see you know, NII contributions coming through a lot of the financing we do there, so overall actually quite quite good. You did see net interest margin decline as expected, you know, three or four basis points this quarter. We expect that to happen just a little bit more in the third quarter than stabilized from there. But all of the underlying inputs and trends that we're seeing across the business are actually quite quite good and really what we expected to see. You know, now that we're about a year off of coming out of the asset cap, well, let's.
Speaker 1: Talk a little bit about that, because that's obviously opened up a lot of growth opportunities for you beyond just the basic loan book. Here, let's talk about the wealth management side of this business, the growth there, but also the expenses that come along with it in order to build it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like the wealth business, says we've talked about a number of times, is actually seeing really good momentum now. You know, if you if you go back a number of years, we were seeing high levels of attrition of advisors. That's completely turned around. We've had you know, our three best quarters maybe ever in terms of recruiting that we put onto the platform. The last three quarters we are seeing netflows as well the last couple quarters just broadly across that business, and the markets have really helped in terms of equity values. And so you see you know, wealth management revenues up in you know, thirteen fourteen percent, you know, year on year, and so quite quite good there, you know, in terms of the overall you know trends underneath that business. Now that does bring expenses too, right, so you got commissions you pay advisors and other volume based fees that are there, but revenue more than offsets that and so that and that's what you saw in the quarter, which was really good performance. And then lastly on wealth is you're starting to see really good growth in deposits and lending as well. We've talked about that for a while as something we want to do to broaden what we do with our clients, and you're really starting to see that come through the results. And so a lot of the effort the team's had there the last couple of years is really really coming through.
Speaker 2: And Mike, I want to talk a little bit about M and A when it comes to Wells Fargo, because you think about that asset cap that has now been removed from the fed. How big would you say that M and A is for you at this moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're mostly focused, Katie, on on organic growth. I think the opportunity we have across each one of the business is just you know big, you know, to grow organically, and that's what you've seen us really do now the last number of quarters. And I think you know, when you think about you know, opportunities for M and A, you know, there could be some you know, product capabilities or other you know, payments related stuff that could be interesting, but but it would be very you know, very much just adding capabilities to our what we do. You know, our our main focus is really growing sort of organically across each of the businesses.
Speaker 2: Understood there with the focus on organic growth. But I do want to talk a little bit about the pipeline because you did say when it comes to the M and A pipeline for Wells Fargo, it looks robust here and I'd love to dig into that a little bit more. Are there any industries which particularly stand out to Wells Fargo at this moment or that you're you know, pursuing more aggressively than.
Speaker 3: Others well, you know, across the investment banking space. You know, we've been adding you know, people in equity and deck capital markets, our M and A practice, and all the coverage groups you know, just sector bisector over the last few years, and the pipelines aren't quite healthy, you know now, and they've been that way for a while across really all the products set there, including M and A, and you're certainly seeing, you know, cross a number of different industries sort of you know, deals that may not have been you know, totally possible, you know, a couple of years ago. And so I think that that idea of pursuing those strategic goals across really you know, in a pretty broad way is definitely alive. And the in the conversations the team's having it really fans everything from healthcare to tech, to media to you know, a whole different you know, all all industrial sectors as well, and so I think you're seeing you're seeing it in a pretty broad based way. Now we'll have to see what actually happens in terms of deals getting announced and done, but I think the activity level is quite high, and I think people see this as an opportunity to you know, think broadly about their strategic goals and M and A is definitely part of it.
Speaker 1: Well overall, I mean just looking at this business a year of kind of post that asset gap being lifted, with loan growth going well. Obviously the M and A business and fees they are also strong. Here is there a certain part of this business right now that you and Charlie Sharp, the CEO, are really looking to where maybe you don't think Willis Fargo at least right now punches up to the weight of his competitors.
Speaker 3: Well, I think there's opportunity to grow and improve the returns everywhere. Still, that doesn't take away from the progress we've made, because we've made a lot of progress. You know in our corporate investment bank. You've seen that progress in our investment banking business. We had a record fee quarter for investment banking fees this quarter. Across the firm, we've grown our balance sheet in the market's business by almost two hundred billion dollars since the end of twenty twenty four, and you're seeing the revenue in that business grow twenty four percent in the quarter. You've seen our wealth management business, as we talked about a minute ago, grow, Our commercial bank was up six percent in the quarter. Year and year, our consumer businesses were up. You know, we saw really good growth in credit card acquisition, in auto loans, really across the board, and so I think we're excited to kind of see, you know, the results of all the investments we've been making now for a while across each one of the businesses, and I think each of them have a lot of opportunity to continue to deepen the relationship, deepen what we do with a lot of the relationships we have, and really grow beyond that in the over the coming quarters and years. So it is it is an exciting time to be here.
Speaker 2: And Mike, just quickly before I let you go, I do want to talk a little bit about AI, because we heard from JP Morgan's CFO actually talking about how the bank is being a little bit more strategic when it comes to using some of these AI models. He said exactly that you really don't need the latest, cutting edge, incredibly expensive model to summarize an analyst report. And I wonder, you know how you're thinking through some of these token expenses and AI costs when it comes to Wells Fargo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that just comes with any investment. I think really is being smart about sort of how you deploy the capabilities and with NAI is no different, right, there's a there's a wide range of models, capabilities, use cases you know for AI, and I think it's just you need to be really thoughtful, smart, you know, focused on sort of using the right solution for the right for the right problem. And we're certainly doing that. And I think you need to look at you know, token costs and sort of the cost of broader AI sort of you know, you know very closely, but but it's clear that the benefit you're going to get from AI in terms of what we do for customers driving more efficiency across the firm is real. And it really has just just getting started in terms of you know, those capabilities being rolled out across you know, different you know, different business groups, and so I think it's going to be very exciting to see that come to fruition over the next twelve or eighteen months or thereabouts. And so so and I do think that you know, it's going to be quite significant in terms of the impact that we'll have, you know, just more broadly at our company and just you know, lots of different companies there. But like any investment, you've got to be really thoughtful and smart about how you you know, prioritize, you know, the resources you put against it, and certainly across these different large language models, there's a range of outcomes and a range of costs that you've got to be really careful about as you look forward. And I think our teams have done a really really good job on that being making sure that our tech people are using the right use the right tools for the right you know, solutions, and then just broadly across the businesses doing the same thing. So that's something we've been doing for a while now, all right.
Speaker 1: Mike, Always a pleasure. Always appreciate you taking time for us. Wells Fargo CFO, Mike Santa Massimo.
Speaker 3: There