Speaker 1: Episode three ninety seven of Bucco Banter. We are going to recap the series loss in Cincinnati, and we're gonna preview the upcoming road trip to Milwaukee and maybe a little bit of trade talk. You're listening to the Bucko Banter podcast, brought to you by the Just Baseball Media Network's music I feel.
Speaker 2: One O one.
Speaker 3: You see a couple of me in My Taste with me and my lemonade because I let the way taste Beth Seats had the pirates and he let me run the base. Yeah, my time is like my money because I can't.
Speaker 2: Afford to waste.
Speaker 3: Oh why see is a llawyer take my date to my dates? Or to stick by the plate Sinney case keep the case from my race at my pace cleared Brant, that is snake.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to another episode of Bucco Banner. Adam, you were returning from Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: I stayed back this week. You and Debo held down.
Speaker 4: The fort dig disappointing series. Nonetheless, you go in to the last place Red's Ballpark in Cincinnati, hoping to maybe gain some momentum and loose three or four. Tell us about the vibes the overall trip and how did that go for you guys?
Speaker 1: For us, fine as human beings, We're good. We made it back alive. As a ball club man, when I tell you the vibe shift from game when we got there, from Friday to Saturday and then today was just something I've never seen before. And we go back to Friday, you get into the clubhouse after some mental errors, you lose Rhino to the quad strain. It was a funeral man, like you could hear a pin drop in that clubhouse, and rightfully so just so emotional, right because not only of the circumstances, you're losing ballgames that you should be winning, but your leader goes down, a clubhouse voice goes down. Somebody that you've relied on a lot this year in order to make this a winning culture is likely out for the rest of the season.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: I know he recovered in pretty record time last time, so maybe fingers crossed we get the same type of result.
Speaker 5: But it was really, really bad.
Speaker 1: And I remember Deb and I walking out of there just saying, like you got a fuel for some of these guys, because it's we're in August, it's hot out, it's tough. You've already gone through a couple of weeks where it's doubleheader, it's extra.
Speaker 5: Innings, and then this happens.
Speaker 1: You can't catch a break, and then they win on Saturday, and you go in in there, in there, and they're blasting Lonely Island.
Speaker 5: I'm on a boat. It's electric.
Speaker 1: Marcelo Zuna is in the corner dancing like he had a good game. You're like, all right, we're back right, and and we put out the meme. It's like season back on. Because baseball's reactionary. Fans are going to react the most after every single game. And one thing that I loved that they had on the whiteboard in the clubhouse was let's go one and O today. And that's the mentality that we've been talking about. And you know, we've heard some guys say it, but it was the first time I seen it written on the white boy right before you enter the field, and something felt different. Right, It's like, all right, you still believe in these guys, you still know it's a good team.
Speaker 5: And you're like, I don't care now, you right the ship, you go out and split this series. We're fine, We're still in it.
Speaker 1: And you get absolutely mollywopped today and It was a weird series with these rain delays and Donnie getting ejected because they're doing god knows what to the field out there, but we got to score runs. And it's starting to become a little bit of an issue with this team, Scott not being as productive as they once was early on in the year, along with obviously color color struggles, which we'll get into, but the offense has struggled as of late. Even when they won this week, it really wasn't because of offensive production.
Speaker 5: It was because of Abbott not having control.
Speaker 2: And who they've is the one left in that they've been able to hit all year.
Speaker 4: They faced like three or four times and they've had really good rormans against him every time. But here's the thing, They're getting cold at the wrong time. And you know it's a long season. You're gonna go through rough stretches. This rough stretches just happens to be coming at the wrong time the time that you just don't want it to happen, right, But I mean, this is this is a team that is very capable of going on a run.
Speaker 2: And you see it.
Speaker 4: Guys that you typically circle on the calendar, Ret Louder, Brandon fought. Who's the other righty we face for Arizona at the beginning of.
Speaker 2: The week, Mary Kelly, Merrill Kelly.
Speaker 4: These are guys like, Okay, this team's gonna put up close to double digit runs today because this offense has performed for that standard this year. They just haven't done it. They've been struggling even more against guys that they should hit well. And you know those games are gonna happen in a long season. But at the same time, you know, I think we're we're both you know, believing that this team's capable of going on running. When you look at the wild card standings, Yeah, they're getting further out, but.
Speaker 2: They're still in it. Yeah, they're still in it.
Speaker 4: As much as I want to be negative and and feel like the sky is falling, there's still very much in it.
Speaker 2: So anyone's saying that they should sell, no, they should not.
Speaker 1: It hasn't worked for you in the past, right, Like, let's look back at the whole Ben Sherrington era has selling it the deadline worked out for you? So like what's to say? Still buying into this team doesn't turn things around? Right, Like you still have to hold out hope, just per producer Jay, Here real quick, they have an eighty one WRC plus as a team since July seventeenth. It's twenty fifth in baseball seventh highest team strikeout rate since July seventeenth. Which I'm glad you brought that up, Jay, because before the show I looked up this team leads the league in strikeouts at one thy sixty three.
Speaker 5: They're in first, they're not tied for first.
Speaker 1: They're in first, and that's gonna be okay if you're living and dying by the long ball. But then you look a little bit deeper into it, they're twenty first in the league in sackflies, and then they're tied for last than the league in sack punts. Don't care about the sack bunts as much, Jay, They're not the only one with a thousand. I think the Yankees are right behind them with one thousand and sixty, but twenty first in sackflies, tied for last in sack bunts.
Speaker 5: Again, don't care about the buns too much.
Speaker 1: But what that shows me is if you're striking out a lot and you're also not hitting the long ball, we're not slugging, and you're not gonna win by death by single and driving in runs and playing strategic baseball, you're putting yourself in a really bad position, a really really bad position where you're just not getting guys on base.
Speaker 5: And it's concerning.
Speaker 1: You can't get cold at this time of the year, the absolute wrong time when we've seen collapses before. I'm not ready to call it an absolute collapse, but just not ideal.
Speaker 2: There's an opportunity to write the ship here.
Speaker 4: And I mentioned it earlier on on my Twitter just saying like you can't.
Speaker 2: We've been saying it from.
Speaker 4: The very big you gotta make a move, you gotta like you gotta go for it. And I know you're not gonna get a closer in June, as we've said, but you're not gonna get that closer in May. But like they ran Downtana out there way too long and some other guys out there way too long.
Speaker 2: They could have made changes. They should have short leashes.
Speaker 4: On guys, right, But I understand having like a longer leash with like an Isaac Matts and this is a guy that has produced for you more than not, but you could have you didn't have to run some of the guys out there that you did in the high leveled situations.
Speaker 2: Now we're a day away.
Speaker 4: From the trade deadline and you're in this position, and I think some of that is self inflicted. I you know, I think even a lot of people in the in the Pirates organization would probably look in the mirror and say the same thing. I hope they would, right. They played this a little bit conservatively. But at the same time, there's time. There's time, right, and I think, you know, this is a big twenty four hours coming up, an opportunity to write the ship.
Speaker 2: Now, Ryan O'Hearn, losing him is is a gut punch, no doubt about it. He's a leader in the clubhouse.
Speaker 4: He's a leader in the lineup, Like this is the best all around hitter that you can put in the lineup right now, right, he does it all. But you also you also are getting reinforcements back. I'm gonna play a little bit glass half full here, right. I know a lot of Piratescreans probably don't want to hear this type of attitude right now.
Speaker 2: But you just got Spencer Horwitz back. That's huge.
Speaker 4: Andy Rodriguez is healthy. You're gonna get O'Neill Cruz back, pretty soon ish, and then they're also there's rumors about them going out on to uh grab a right handed outfielled bat. The name that's been floated around is Taylor Ward. Another one Joe Atdell. Both names I'd be very happy with to add to this lineup. So it's not all doom and gloom. You can't you can't underscore the loss of Rhin O'Hearn right like, that is an impactful loss, but we're also getting guys back, we're getting reinforcements on the way, and this offense is still really good.
Speaker 5: Jay, you want to come in and say something guys.
Speaker 6: When it comes to buying to I feel like people who have been looking at this through lens of either it's just like we're gonna go all in sell the entire farm to make this happen, or we're gonna do no right. And I don't think that you have to necessarily do either one because you look at the guys that they're interested in, aside from Luke Weaver, who is really going to cost you a whole lot right now on the trade market. You mentioned this before we started recording about Taylor Ward. He's a one year rental who can help you right now kind of feel that be that stop gap between now and when we get Ryan and Hern back, whether that's next year or at the end of this year, and then fit in against Lefty something like that. He's not going to cost you more than like a top a top like fifteen to thirty prospect, and that's even generous, to be honest, lower level arm maybe yeah, maybe lottery ticket dominic, a lottery ticket like, you don't you don't have to go all in or not go all in, like you can really start to rebuild this team and fill some of these holes without really blowing up your farm system, especially whenever you get to the bullpen you constantly see these maybe intriguing arms moved around who aren't aren't like super super established closers or anything like that. You can you can make this happen and still like manage to keep your future and whatnot going forward.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to mention that really quickly.
Speaker 4: And if anyone knows our low low levels, it's the Baltimore Orioles just being an earshot away in Sarasota.
Speaker 2: They've definitely seen a system.
Speaker 4: Just don't please don't touch rint on the Barrow or Carlos Mateo. Those are two guys I really like and hope to keep in the system. But hey, I think if Taylor Ward is the guy coming back, Yeah, it's gonna be It's not gonna cost a whole ton, but this is a guy that could rotate around the corners and provide some power from the right side, which is what this team really needs.
Speaker 2: This is what they were hoping to get from Marcelo Zerda.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then we talk about bullpenhelp. They did trade for Kamilla Duval this week. You traded amaral Fonso, who obviously sad story this year, promising prospect, He's going to be a free agent at the end of the year, minor league free agent, so you had to make a move with him. And then you include Louis Cruz, who is still in the dr at age nineteen. The Pirates are paying Duval seven hundred and fifty K. He had his debut on Sunday, let up a home run. This stuff is there, I mean, the pedigree is there as well. He's had success at the big league level, But at the same time, there's a huge concern that he could just be Gregory Soto.
Speaker 5: From the right side.
Speaker 1: You know, sometimes if this stuff is on, you're like, wow, how does this guy ever get hit?
Speaker 5: But if not, then it's.
Speaker 2: A bowling balls. It's like, yeah, kind of, I'd be pretty scared to be in that box. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's I like the bet on it, right, I do.
Speaker 1: I think it's a fine trade and absolutely fine trade. Now, if we're looking back at on it tomorrow after six pm and that's it, then there's another discussion that needs to be had because this is absolutely not enough for this team. You're looking for stability. You're not looking for incredible stuff to mold right now. You're looking for stability somebody that's going to make you feel comfortable going into the seventh, eighth, ninth INNY. I don't want to come on this show tomorrow after the trade deadline and start hammering icy lights like I did last year.
Speaker 5: Okay, like I want to be in a good.
Speaker 2: Food We could do that in celebration.
Speaker 1: Though exactly. Icy light is good for any type of mood. I'd rather have happy icy lights. I don't want sad icy lights. Happy icy lights are always better. So tomorrow at six pm, this team needs some stability on the back end.
Speaker 5: Duval.
Speaker 1: It's fine, it could work out well, but it's still oh my god, he's coming into the game. Which type of guy are we going to get right now? If that makes sense?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, absolutely, And you know, I expect more than one move, guys. I wouldn't be surprised if something happens while we're recording here or later tonight into tomorrow. I think they're going to be very active. But I want to talk about another topic before we move on Mitch Keller. I just feel like we have to talk about it. Love Mitch, but I think it's hard to ignore that just hasn't been his year, and you got to decide what to do with him, probably sooner rather than later. He's notoriously dropped off in the second half in years past. He hasn't been good since April, right, And this is a guy that you can't continue running out there in the starting rotation in meaningful games.
Speaker 2: It's tough to watch man, it really is. He's susceptible along the ball.
Speaker 4: He's given up four to five runs almost every outing, and while the offense is slow, that doesn't help matters either. And he had like fifty plus pitches through to it in the second inning today, Like it's not giving us meaningful innings either.
Speaker 2: This is a guy that used to be our workhorse.
Speaker 4: This is why everyone said you can't trade them away in the off season, because you got all these young arms. You need a guy that's gonna be able to go out there give you six.
Speaker 2: To seven or a sort. He can't do that anymore.
Speaker 1: The problem also lies you have braxt Ashcraft who's coming up on a career high bub a Chandler who's coming up on a career high Jones who's on an innings limit or a pitch limit, and then Mitch Keller. If you take him out of this rotation, you absolutely need to add other guys that are going to step in.
Speaker 5: Scott.
Speaker 1: He's only averaging ninety one point nine on the fastball right now, and he threw sixty nine pitches today. Only thirty of those were in the strike zone. Like there's days where I see the old Mitch Keller and I start to believe, and I'm like, all right, maybe he gives up two or three runs today, but we get six innings out of him and he keeps us in the ballgame. But it's just not going to happen if he's not staying in the strike zone. Jay brings up that Connor Wickgriff who we had on the show. Great interview, by the way, go check that out. He is a two seven six ERA and forty two and a third in Triple A right now, so he's killing it.
Speaker 2: September call up six man rotation.
Speaker 1: It could be he's a college arm, right, but it's just very hard to tell. Like at the beginning of the year, we thought Barco is going to be the lefty that this team needed in the rotation. We said, hey, forget going out and getting a lefty. You got Hunter Barco in the system, and it just really hasn't worked out to date.
Speaker 5: Maybe Connor Wickgriff is the answer there if.
Speaker 1: You're just looking something internally, but you probably have to go and get another starting pitcher. Right you're running into a weird zone where, hey, we need to compete, but we also need to make sure that these guys' arms don't fall off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean absolutely a lot of these young arms, they're reaching their career, hi, right, I mean that's that's a problem, not just here, but it's all the young arms. But yeah, I would not mind adding in a guy, and it doesn't have to be a sexy name. It could be a guy that's going to go out there and give you five or six relive winnings. Think of a guy in the Martin perezmol right, soft tossing lefty, get a different look in there, and I think that'd be helpful.
Speaker 2: I'm also you really hope that Bubba Chandler has like a strong the last two months here.
Speaker 4: Because although he's reaching at career high and innings as well, you've seen flashes of it through July of what he can be.
Speaker 2: And you know, I think this is a.
Speaker 4: Guy that's just going to be a late bloomer, right We know he has the stuff and we know he could be top of the rotations upside here, but.
Speaker 2: You know, this is a guy with skeins not pitching at his best right now.
Speaker 4: We could really use a step up from him and Ashcraft, who has been gassed as of recently, even though his last start was better.
Speaker 6: Guys, I want to pitch you guys on one other starting pitcher we could potentially go after here now that the first Domino's kind of fallen with Scooball Tigers aren't going to just sell terror scooball this deadline Casey Mys is also on the trademarket like case, and that salary is not hefty at all. And he's kind of the definition of a workhorse honestly, even though he's been he's been hurt. When he's healthy, he's just a guy that posts so far this season through sixteen games, eighty six point two innings two point seven You're not a huge strikeout guy or anything like that, but somebody can give you length and just kind of fill these holes and almost be the Mitch Keller that you were hoping to get out of mitche Keller this season, just me that splitter. Yeah, someone to keep in mind. He's gonna get you swing and miss, even if it's not K's And I think that honestly with the defense right now too that I don't know if we're gonna talk about that at all, but we could also use a guy that could just get some swing and miss as well, and maybe he can maybe find his way towards some more strikeouts in Pittsburgh too, who knows.
Speaker 5: I liked it swinging and miss and somebody that could put the ball on the ground.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 4: I like that, Well, let's talk about that defense is that's a good segue because you got a guy like Nikki g who's leading, practically leading the league in hits, multi hit games, hitting.
Speaker 2: For high average. What do you do with him?
Speaker 4: Because he's been a liability at third base to say the least, and you look at some of the met people. I haven't really looked at it myself, but people have brought up that he actually grades better at shortstop than Treolo does, and Treolo is great better at third base?
Speaker 2: Does it make sense to make that switch? Like, I just don't see Nicki g as being.
Speaker 4: A four to five day shortstop while Connor Griffin's out. But there's something that needs to be done here because when you can't take Nikki g out of the lineup right now, ideally he'd be a second baseman. But we got our the best hitter in our lineup at second base right.
Speaker 1: Now negative four ounce above average for Gonzo, and it's become an issue. Man.
Speaker 5: The arm. I don't know about putting him at shortstop. The arm is just not there, man.
Speaker 1: And I think the game time to time speeds up for him at third base. I'm not going to spend too much time on the mental air. I mean they credited Lao with the air, and Lao after the game said like, listen, I need to catch the ball.
Speaker 2: That's fun and horrendous.
Speaker 4: It just it seemed like he had a mental block there as he's like transferring and throwing the second base right.
Speaker 1: I mean, you have maybe one of the slowest runners in the league in Nathaniel Lowe running down the line at a one hundred mile per hour ground ball that was fielding cleanly.
Speaker 5: You have all the time in the world, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I think mentally the game speeds up on him a little bit over there, and there's still more of a learning curve.
Speaker 5: I don't know, man, it's a weird situation. Like do you feel comfortable putting Nickensols at shortstop right now? Is that the move?
Speaker 1: Or do you feel comfortable moving him to second base in giving Lao some days off dhing like there are moves that you could do to rotate some guys in and out, but I don't really feel comfortable putting him at shortstop.
Speaker 2: I think you just said the answer.
Speaker 4: I think that the end of Marcelo Zuna and Pittsburgh is very near or it should be, because as we mentioned many times over the off see, let's use that DH as a rotating cast, right, You don't need a full time DH.
Speaker 2: And I think that for a team that.
Speaker 4: Really emphasizes versatility, they're limiting themselves with him on the roster, Like you could have a Merland Valdez there, especially if you come in bring in a Taylor Ward is Merlin vald has complained DH most days.
Speaker 2: And then when you want to spell Brandon Law in the field and give.
Speaker 4: Him some rest, put Nikki g at second base, Brandon Law at DH. You keep the bat in the lineup. But I think there's a lot of different ways you can utilize that position to the line up.
Speaker 1: I want to give some flowers to some guys. I think it is deserved. One hundred Mirrors has been pretty nails coming out of the bullpen. Give credit where credits due man. The guy's gone through some struggles and he's looked pretty good. Mason Montgomery has been lights out as well, So really really pumped for those guys to figure it out. Noah Murdoch got.
Speaker 5: Some time this week. You could see why.
Speaker 1: There might be some promise there with the ground ball rate and just being able to produce that. The control still needs a little bit of work. I think he would tell you that himself.
Speaker 2: His wife would tell you that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When we had him on the show, they said, listen, like, this is something we're working on. This is something that we recognized in the off season and that they needed to attack. I liked what I saw out of him in terms of what could be. Just needs a little bit of more work there, So I'm hoping that.
Speaker 2: He gets it. And then yeah, I also liked what I saw from Antoine Kelly.
Speaker 5: I was just about to bring it up.
Speaker 2: I loved what I suffered. I thought he.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to choose my words carefully here, but I think he shoved, like he threw through some confidence and something you didn't see the first two times up in Pittsburgh. I thought him coming up, I get there with this seventeen game stretch or however many games it is. They need arms, fresh arms. But I thought he'd be up here for a little bit longer, maybe stay. I don't think we've seen the last of Antoine Kelly this year in Pittsburgh, and I like the potential there to be someone like an Ashcraft later in the season from last year.
Speaker 1: Through one hundred and two, and that outing three innings, three innings, two hits, two walks, three k's. After the game, he said, I think I've learned from the past couple of outings. You know, again, we talked about the game speeding up on you. That's a lot to ask for a young arm coming out of the bullpen, and he's been stretched out in Indianapolis. He told us after the game, like, I think I could have gone more, but you know, he did what the team needed to do and he put them in a good situation to win.
Speaker 5: So no complaints there. Again.
Speaker 1: Ramirez, Monty and then Antoine Kelly really really good weekends out in Cincinnati, but just unfortunately outside of that, man couldn't get it going.
Speaker 5: Couldn't get it going.
Speaker 1: And then hey, we got to bring up Carmen as well, because not only did I really like Carmen's outing coming in and giving you those solid three innings, one hit, one walk or case, but after the game was a different Carmen that we're not really used to hearing. And you know, you don't get Carmen in front of the media that often. But When he was asked about his performance and coming out of the bullpen, he gave credit to the Pirates for allowing him to ease into it a little bit, which people are going to complain about here and there. Sure, that's fine. Everybody can have their own opinion on that. But if the guys says he needed some time to like get ready to pitch multiple days in a row, that's fine. But it seems like he wants to do that, and he said, I want to be available on back to back days to help this team down the stretch.
Speaker 5: I want to pitch more.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if it's an organizational like we want to keep easing him into this until we know for certain he could recover on back to back days or what exact situations we're putting him in. But Carmen the player seems to be embracing the role a little bit more, which is encouraging because he's really good at baseball.
Speaker 5: Scott, he's really good.
Speaker 1: Coming out of the bullpen, and I would love to have him in more high leverage situations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too. I think you can get creative with him. Right.
Speaker 4: The arm talent is there, It's pretty obvious and even though the arm talent is there. He doesn't miss a ton of bats, but he gets out and he works quickly, and I think that's valuable. I think you could use him in a high leverage situation. I think the stuff wi play up a little bit more in a high leverage suation. I also think you can stretch him out. I think this is a guy that can be your utility guy in the bullpen if you will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then there's really nothing to talk about the offense. Unfortunately for this weekend, like again, we brought it up, Abbott struggled.
Speaker 5: The weather was weird if anything. With this team.
Speaker 1: Rallied around a couple of singles in Game two, but they just couldn't get anything together. Nikki g has been on fire. I think the hit streak came to an end yesterday, but just been really solid. And then the Jake Mangum Homer just absolutely snuck one right over the fence. So let's, as Clint Hurdle would say, shower well, because you really got to get the funk off of this one, and you have a really important series and Scott just bringing it full circle here, you mentioned they're still not out of it right this is not the time to give up. We just mentioned years past when they're buying or doing a little bit of both. It hasn't worked. So why not keep investing in this team and just see it out, see it through. Okay, if they don't put if they don't win ball games, so be it.
Speaker 5: How is that different than any other year? It's not.
Speaker 1: Okay, at least put yourself in a position where you know you did what you could to win ball games. And as we're talking, I'm just scrolling through Twitter because I am itching for a trade. I'm itching just to see this organization. I don't have anything for you. Do you have something for me?
Speaker 2: I don't. I'm doing the same thing. So I was wondering if you beat me to the punch.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is really Jay's job, all right.
Speaker 2: I mean, Jake, get on it, come on by the trade, you get.
Speaker 1: On the phones. But I'm excited. I'm still excited. We're still playing meaningful baseball. Don't get me wrong. This weekend sucked. This month has not been great, but they've still weathered the storm. Despite all of the injuries that they've faced and everything that's been thrown at this team, they're still hovering around that five hundred mark. So, Jay, did you break your kiddie news on the pod with us? I mean maybe you should set it. Yeah yeah, maybe maybe that's a bad thing. I forgot about that. So yeah, no more for you. Okay, get out of here. We got the Brewers.
Speaker 5: You're going to get a bullpen game, which is a good transition.
Speaker 1: Before we get into that transition, a couple of shout outs here one forty four gloves.
Speaker 5: You're going to see a lot of them in Milwaukee. Abner Uribe.
Speaker 1: Jacob Mazerowski has, I mean, obviously some of the coolest forty fours. If you use code Buco twenty at forty four pro dot com, you get twenty percent off a fully customizable glove, like fully full. You want to put a baseball card, a Pokemon card in the glove, you got it. You can do it. That's how cool it is. And we're going to be giving one away this weekend when the Mets come to town. Freddy peralta kind of pissed about that trade today, Scott because he has some of the coolest forty four pro gloves we've ever seen, and I was really really looking forward to chopping it up with him again. We talked to him a little bit last year. I wanted to see those gloves. So unfortunately we're gonna have to catch him next year. But forty four pro is killing it, man, So bucco twenty you get twenty percent off. And then if you're feeling like you're gonna commit some crimes and you're just you don't have an outlet, I promise if you just go scream into a pillow, it's probably better than going to jail. But if you find yourself in that situation where you're like, you know what, I gotta do it. I gotta go commit crimes and there's no way out of it, you could always call it the fine folks over at Farrell Weaver in Oakin because they are fighting for your rights, providing aggressive criminal defense and appellet representation when the stakes are the highest, when it counts most experience matters, call Farrell Weaver in Oaken for any of your legal needs today, Scott, what do we got going on in Milwaukee?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So luckily four game series in Milwaukee and we happened to miss the miss again, So that's a positive note, right, But the Brewers enter sixty nine and forty two. They're doing really well first in the division tomorrow, which by.
Speaker 2: The way, is my birthday, and no big deal. I just want to put that out there also, okayadline day.
Speaker 4: Bub, but Chandler is going against Brandon Sprote. Brandon sprot pitched in Pittsburgh on June eleventh, went three innings, two hits, two earned, three walks, three k's, gave up a home run to zemeryland Valdez on the year three and six with a five O five era ninety two and two thirds innings, ninety six k's and a one three nine whip. We'll come at you with a sinker four seam cutter, three different fastball variations around twenty five to thirty percent of the time, and then a curve, sweeper and change. He was acquired in that Freddy perolt to trade this off season. Freddy Perlta was flipped to the race today. By the way, elite Velo generates both strikeouts and we contact deep arsenalized in the turno over a lineup multi times. Stuff has played noticely better since his mechanical adjustments in June. So guys, another variety that can run it up there in the mid to high nineties and a guy that's a rookie that has struggled to start his first year full season and pro ball.
Speaker 1: Tuesday, August fourth, you get Jared Jones, Verus right handed pitcher Logan Henderson. This year, Henderson is five to one with a two six to six ERA in nine games, forty four innings, pitch fifty four k's with a point nine to one whip. The Arsenal's a four seen change cutter, sweeper, elite strikeout ability, outstanding command here, as you could see by that whip not really allowing runners to get on base tunnels. His fastball and change up exceptionally well, making them both pitches that play up heavy fly ball profile. Frequently attacks with the fastball at the top of the zone. By the way, if you want all of these breakdowns and more, go to bucobanter dot com throwing your email hit send, then go to your email opt in, and all these will be sent to you right before every single series, along with everything else happening in the Banter universe. Scott, what do we got going on on Wednesday and then Thursday?
Speaker 4: Well, so Wednesday's gonna be TVD maybe a bullpen game for the Brewers, but Paul Skeins is going in Thursday. We've got Braxton Ashcraft going against Shange rowing. We faced change rowing twice this year. This guy was acquired this offseason from the Red Sox. I believe in the Caleb Durban deal. Six and four with a three forty eighty r a lefty, twenty two games, I think, twelve starts, eighty eight innings, pitch eighty nine k's, one seventeen whip. On the twenty fourth of April, he piggybacked Brandon Wooldriff in a six and nothing Pirates win four innings, four hits, one earned, one walk, two k's in Milwaukee, and then on July eleventh in Pittsburgh he started six and the third, five hits, three earned, no walk, six k's and three to two Pirates when as Marylin Valdez took him deep as well. We'll come at you with a four seam sinker, slider, curve cutter. Change the four seam, not a soft tossing left. He can get up ninety five ninety six bove average command, changes speeds well, excels once he gets ahead because he can expand with the change of inslider fastball can be a elevated as it can't be elevated as it has some swing and miss traits. Guys, this is another lefty who's probably going to be more of a swing man if they acquire another arm. But uh, you know someone to note because they've struggled against this type of arm this year.
Speaker 1: You swept the Brewers last time, right before the break. You gotta the House of Horrors. Baby, you gotta go to Milwaukee, the city then ever sleeps.
Speaker 2: That's what they said.
Speaker 1: They cheese, a lot of cheese. Bring your lactid pills and figure something out. Man, you gotta figure it out. You gotta dig deep. We're gonna dig deep. But we got our hitter and picture of the week before we get out here. That's brought to you by Smashed Waffles in Oakland. Go to Smash Waffles in Oakland. Mention the Bucko Banter home run of the week. You get twenty percent off your entire order. They got a Bucko Banter waffle. It's delicious. Go try it.
Speaker 5: Scott.
Speaker 1: Our hitter of the week is Brandon Lau eleven for thirty, hitting three sixty seven with three doubles, two home run, six RBIs in a stolen base. Good to see him get back on track after struggling a little bit.
Speaker 4: Picture of the week, we're gonna go with a reliever. Johann Ramirez was honorable mention, but we're gonna go Carmen Machinski. We talked about how he's looked as of recently and gonna be more available more often going forward. Six innings this week and two outings, three hit, snower and one walk. Five k's generate ten whiffs. Did really well in both of those outing one against Arizona and one against Cincinnati. A guy that is going to be crucial for the success of this team going forward to coming out of the fen.
Speaker 1: All right, well we were in Cincinnati. We're not gonna be in Milwaukee, but we'll be back home versus the Mets. So again, come say hi at the ballpark. Hopefully got some news cooking up here pretty soon. It might be up to something season.
Speaker 2: These guys always cooking up news.
Speaker 5: Always cooking up news.
Speaker 1: So excited to just keep bringing all the pirates content that we possibly can right to your doorstet again, subscribe to the newsletter. Leave a five star review, comment that helps us out a ton guys. I can't emphasize us enough how much we love our listeners and everything that you guys have done to keep this show flowing and your support does not go unnoticed. So five star review, leave a comment, subscribe to the channel, anything you can do to help us out and Scott until next time, ost it oist.
Speaker 3: It best seats as the parents can it.
Speaker 2: Let me run the base.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my tab is like my money because I can't afford to waste. Oh why see years a Llowyer take my date to my dates or to stick by the plate Synick