Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the final hour on this Meet Friday. Come on in, stay awhile at least for an hour eight seven to seven three. DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app and our radio affiliates over four hundred cities carrying this program. Mavericks Roll the Timberwolf says, Luca goes for thirty six, including twenty in the first quarter. Kyrie with thirty six as well. We have to wait a week before the start of the NBA Finals, and this was just a portion of Luca's performance in the first quarter.
Speaker 3: Fourteen for Luca Oncome is going over? Here is on Monday night, ke Delay Anderson controlled by the map with another heat check from Luca rochets again another three.
Speaker 1: He's a fine flower.
Speaker 2: Fire twenty points. That's Kevin Harlan and Reggie Miller with the call last night. Today's Mercedes Benz Interview of the Day brought to you by Mercedes Benz Luxury SUVs. Now come with the Luxury of Choice. You can check out the E Class suv at your local dealer or at mbusa dot com slash special offers. Look who joins us now, it's John Sally, good buddy of the show. Let me give the proper introduction. First player in NBA history to win a championship with three different franchises, as well as the first player in the NBA to win a championship in three different decades. John Sally back on the program. Look at the that's a young Michael Jordan T shirt you got on there.
Speaker 4: That's right, we'll go teeth man even going back to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you didn't have that when you were with the Pistons. You wouldn't be wearing a Michael Jordan T shirt back then.
Speaker 5: It is so funny then. And hey, thanks for having me on the show. Long time listener, second time appearance. What I was I would hang with MJ. So I was doing my first late night talk show. I was doing it during the season in nineteen eighty eight because I thought I was setting it up for my future, which I was my second year player. But I would hang out with MJ. He would come into Detroit, I'd pick him up. We would go eat, you know, in Chicago. He couldn't really do anything and hang But I always been around money. I loved it still to this day. I loved to death. But you know, my teammates after my first season made sure, Hey, if they're not wearing our colors, they're not our gang.
Speaker 4: And so it took me a second to learn it.
Speaker 2: But did you catch heat from Isaiah or Lame Beer or anybody else that you were hanging with Mike?
Speaker 4: No, because they didn't.
Speaker 5: I didn't let them know I was hanging with Mike one time, right my first Thanksgiving, thirst Thanksgiving in the pros. Right around that time, we're playing against the Hawk and kept when Willis comes in towny from the d where everybody go over to his mama's house, I show up.
Speaker 4: I then drive them back to that hotel. They beat the living.
Speaker 5: Out of me the next day, and Bill Amber says, they're not your friends anymore. We are, And I never forgot it. So I learned how to separate friendship and being a Viking. I learned how our raider better put.
Speaker 2: But if you look at the image the persona personality of the bad boys, was it more Isaiah or more Lame Beer?
Speaker 6: Woo?
Speaker 5: It was these two together I know it sounds crazy, but that's why they were our two captains. They led just like that. It was a well oiled machine. We knew the hierarchy, we knew how it worked. We had these two generals, and then we had this really quiet secretary named Joe Dubars, and then we had this unbelievable sniper coming off the bench named Bennie Johnson.
Speaker 4: And then we had our grunt, our grunts.
Speaker 5: It was me, it was Dennis, it was Rick Mahorn, it was James Edwards, Marcagui was came in and with special units.
Speaker 4: I mean, we literally rant it like that.
Speaker 2: But if you look back on the players that you played with or against, you got Isaiah, Yeah, Kobe yeah, Mike Yeah. So if we're gonna okay, we're gonna rank those, I'm gonna give you the first pick in the draft. You can have Zeke, Mike, Shaq, Kobe, anybody else you want to throw in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So the first player I would draft would be out of North Carolina.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: The next person would be Isaiah Thomas, and then I would get Shaquille O'Neil. And then I would do what Jerry West did, and I would find this kid in high school who has the potential to be.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you I would.
Speaker 5: Isaiah is the tough guy, one of the toughest guys I ever played with. He's maybe six to one and he can do it all and he had to.
Speaker 2: He he's underrated, John, I think, oh, he's way under yeah really, And I think attitude, Yeah, I think attitude.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: The way you guys played, you know, maybe it turned people off with embracing him, but he wasn't afraid of a big moment, whether it's with Bob Knight in Indiana or certainly with you guys.
Speaker 4: It didn't turn people off in Detroit.
Speaker 2: No, No, you guys love that, But elsewhere it's weird. Though we embraced Michael around the league, you guys were never embraced around the league. We embraced Larry around the league. We embraced Magic around the league. Never embrace the bad boys.
Speaker 5: You know why because the manuscript on on, you know, it was magic and bird and magic and bird, and then all of a sudden, first it was, hey, how do we get out of this doctor j situation? And they have magic and then then it's magic and burn and it's the Celtics versus the Lakers. Let's get that going. And then when they put the Messiah in Chicago, they thought it was going to be this guy handing off to this He's going to be the next next run.
Speaker 4: But as Mitch Album, the great writer, put.
Speaker 5: This little team in the middle of the country, out of the city that no one was paying attention to.
Speaker 4: Messed up the picture.
Speaker 5: So the picture at one time looked like Van Go and then when we got there it looked like Basquiat.
Speaker 2: A good reference. There reference, good reference. We're talking to John Sally, the former bad Boy won four NBA titles. Best player in the world today is.
Speaker 4: Who might be Joker?
Speaker 5: But Luca last night changed everything when I said, you know, I didn't know. You don't know that much about people. When I went to Europe, I was amazed. And then playing with Tony Kukos, let me go through this. You remember Tony, just like Isaiah was not is not recognized as he should be. Tony Kukos is one of the greatest players to ever played this game, but because he was in Chicago, we don't we didn't get to see it. We get to see it if you go back and start paying attention. It's amazing. And watching Luka reminds me of Tony Kuko. Yeah, man, Luke, Tony left handed too. I mean he was doing things trying to, you know, make every make feel happy, make everybody else happy. But if it would have just been left up to Luka, I mean left up to Tony, I mean he was. I'm telling you, man, the guy is an unbelievable player and doesn't get the credit he deserves because of the Jerry Krouse. This is Jerry Krowse's boy type thing. It wasn't it wasn't understanding the genius of Jerry Crow's putting it together. It was always trying to bring this kid in and get out of our way, get past us. But watching Luca last night, just thinking about it, I didn't know his father was a pro basketball player in Europe. I didn't know he started playing pro at seventeen. You know, Tony Parker started playing in France at fifteen. And we complain about guys who co man, that guy should go to college. We don't even realize, No, that guy should go to work. And that's exactly what Luca's dad did, Exactly what Tony Parker's father did, It's exactly what Jelly Bean did with Kobe.
Speaker 4: Those guys were at work fifteen, sixteen seventeen, ready to do a man's job in the league.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Paul George talked about this on a podcast recently of we have today's players in the United States playing AAU and all that is is, I mean, there's not a lot of structure to it. It's AAU ball. Whereas these basketball players in Europe are going to basketball academies, you know, this is what they have with soccer. Therefore they're playing professionally and they started fifteen and they're learning how to dribble, how to everybody does, whether you're a big man or your guard. Everybody's learning footwork fundamentals. Whereas our players are just out there playing, you know, in this AAU team and then that AAU team, and so you know, lacking the structure that soccer players in Europe get, basketball players in Europe get.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like even in Brazil, right, you can see when you watching them play soccer. You know a player from Brazil and you know a player from Mid Africa. You can tell that that cadence and the way they dribbled the ball with their feet and when I went to play over in Europe. I played for Parata nikols In in Greece for about six weeks. It was a different mentality. It was seven teams in the city of Athens. Olympic Nakos was our biggest rival rivalry. And I'm telling you, seven teams in one city of Athens, seven around surrounding and there's a newspaper just on sports. There's a newspaper for news, right then there's the political talk, but then it's just on sports.
Speaker 4: And I'm thinking, oh, yeah, this is fun. I'm gonna go here and go there. Man.
Speaker 5: I went places in my they say, hey, it got this nice BMW for it, and it had this logo in the back. I had to find out where I can get gassed because it said Pantatha Nikos. I pull in one place they would do it like this, you better find a station.
Speaker 4: Everybody was so intense on how it is.
Speaker 5: And you really look at Giannis Yatis moves to but has grown as born or grown in reared in grease. Look at his ability to play basketball. If you watch his movie he got a great movie on Disney Plus, you will see how those coaches are serious about the Fundamental movie.
Speaker 4: The problem is American artist.
Speaker 5: American kids have always come from the dust. Elvis Presley, James Brown. You just find it, you use natural ability, you get to it. Those guys are taught it, and then they put that, they put their twist on it.
Speaker 2: You can have Joker or Shack.
Speaker 4: Sequille.
Speaker 2: He at least gave a little pause there.
Speaker 5: Joker is one of the best on my podcasts. Oh, I got a new podcast too. You know, I'm not. I'm not as big as you would four hundred thousand affiliates associates throughout the country or radio.
Speaker 2: It's called the John Sally Podcast. Yeah, really creative with the title there.
Speaker 4: John No, no, no, it's called TFU.
Speaker 5: It's it's called tf You you guys go and figure out what that means, because we're you know, we're on a company on this joint.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I had the John Sally Podcast because I couldn't think of a different name. I was thinking, who has a great show? Oh, damn Patrick show, John Sally Show. Hey, I'm not too far off.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: The reason I hesitate is because Joker plays bully ball, is always balanced, does not miss a pass, and by the end of the game, you realize he has given you twenty twenty and twenty.
Speaker 4: That's that's that's why I like Joker.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give you Larry Burdens pro or Lebron in his prime.
Speaker 4: Libird.
Speaker 2: That's a quick answer.
Speaker 4: Do you do you remember? I know I have nightmares? Do you do you haven?
Speaker 2: I I yes, I was there in the eighties. Yes, I was there too. I was there covering well, we were I was covering the Celtics. You were trying to cover the Celtics.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: But you know, and and and Larry loved me, man. Larry was so cool with me because you know, I me, Lenny, Mike Brown, we would you know, read all Back would have us come play and there their camp when read all Back was bringing in guys some country, I said, you were playing where Sylvania?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: So it was like he's.
Speaker 5: Bringing in these grown, grown men who were like, I want this job. And we were playing every night Kevin McHale and I was like, oh, they don't even know how much I'm a self. They have no idea. But I played it cool. But then Larry would man. I remember at the end of the game, I had never seen this. Larry had more ice on but he looked like an Eskimo, like it was like this, and he would talk to you ice everywhere and then come out to it because he had ice his knees, ice his anchors, ice his shoulder, ice on his back, ice on his neck, and he'd be sitting in that locker room just covered in ice, and then the game. Then the next day he would come in as if he was not hurting. And and just the thing that reminds me of Larry that I saw last night is the way Lucas shoots the ball that whole right here behind your head, and it's here the whole time, and it's the follow through and it finds the rim every time.
Speaker 4: That was a crazy thing when I watched that last night.
Speaker 2: Did you guardbird?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Oka, it successfully? Did I got him? Yes? But no, this is uh.
Speaker 2: But if he liked you, he did probably didn't talk trash to you.
Speaker 5: Oh, he talked it all the time. He was constantly, constantly talking like it was a trip that even I looked at the video when Dennis Ramins leg gets caught in his neck and Bill and Bed he goes down and he's punching Bill. The first person I went to grab was Larry to pull him off, and then DJ grabs me. I said, I'm trying to get him off of and then we get out the way and I mind my business cause you know, at that time, I'm totally not understanding everything.
Speaker 4: But Larry was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he would talk and he would say, Sally, you better ask for a double team, bro, you know. And I was like, when are you going to keep letting these when you're gonna let these people know you're a black guy from Indiana?
Speaker 4: Any do that? Stop this whiteness? What do you do it?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But then he would have been just another black player. According dude, does Rodman whoa callback? Or Isaiah?
Speaker 4: Go back?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Go back?
Speaker 2: Justin this so wrong?
Speaker 8: Was it so wrong?
Speaker 2: So bird mean, just another black player if he was if he was black?
Speaker 4: Uh. I remember when that happened, right, I was there.
Speaker 2: I was there, and I was like, oh my god. That was a hot topic though John at the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: It was a young rookie saying saying things, Uh, not understanding.
Speaker 4: Hey, they do the same thing. It's it's not our ful. Racism is your fault.
Speaker 9: No, it's.
Speaker 4: It's it's always been. They did movies about it.
Speaker 5: The Great white Hope, and it's always been when somebody's exceptional, then they go to their skin color and whatever skin he's in that race takes him is like, that's our champion. You know, we did it. We did it with tiger Wood. Tiger Wood because.
Speaker 2: You didn't do that with VJ. Singh though, but you did that with tiger Woods.
Speaker 5: VJ sing was like, hey man, what kind of brother are you? From South India?
Speaker 2: He's got a podcast. It's called the John Sally Podcast. No, it's called t f U Okay, it's called t f U f R. You'll figure it out with John Sally. Yes, where D and Josh and you can.
Speaker 5: You can check us out pretty soon after Dan gives me the hookup at Peacock.
Speaker 4: Will be on Peacock.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, we'll see I'll talk to people who know people. It's great to see you, John. Thanks for joining my decision man always and love. Thank you.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: So John Sally four time NBA.
Speaker 4: M g FU.
Speaker 2: Do you know what that means? Marvin?
Speaker 6: I think I do.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll tell you off, Mike, that's what I thought.
Speaker 6: Yes, t is that why we couldn't say it? Because we were told to ask me about the John Sallly podcast. Is that like language?
Speaker 2: Yeah, reasons, Yes, what do you think.
Speaker 6: I guess if you always curse words involved?
Speaker 10: Yes, it's not technical foul and then some of that.
Speaker 2: We're gonna take a break technical foul university. Yeah, we're gonna take a break. We're gonna take a break because coming up. You didn't ask for it, but you're gonna get it. Rhyme time, Yeah, rime time. No one asked for for sure, No, but I'm glad we have it and we're gonna have that.
Speaker 11: Yes, actually one person asked for it, Todd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the guy who wrote it. He's like, hey, I got rhyme time. If you want to do it, first thing, first thing when I walk in today.
Speaker 6: I just sell it enthusiastic. Hey, guess what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Fox sports radio dot com.
Speaker 2: Two NBA Insiders podcasting twice a week to plug you right into the NBA Grape.
Speaker 12: Five, all happening in only one place, this League Uncut the New NBA Podcast with Me.
Speaker 2: Chris Haynes and me Mark Stein.
Speaker 12: Join us as we team up to expound on everything we're covering. Hearing and Chason.
Speaker 13: Listen to This League Uncut with Chris Haynes and Mark Stein.
Speaker 12: On the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Marvin loves the movie Footloose. You love it right. The kids couldn't dance. All they want to do is dance.
Speaker 14: It's so ridiculous. Hey, you're not allowed to dance. And then all of a sudden, they go from how do you do this two three four? And then you start break dancing like it's breaking two electric boogaloo. I was like, how do they learn how to break dance that good little in two weeks?
Speaker 2: Poping lock?
Speaker 6: Yeah a little bit.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe they were doing it, you know, in a clandestine way that no one would find out, including the preacher. Yes, LORI singer about a round a dance clause for all right, and how about a round of applause for Kevin Bacon okay, Kevin okay for the rest of his life whenever he goes to a wedding. You know, the DJ is going, Hey, you know what's going to be great. I'm gonna play Footloose And then Kevin's gonna go up and dance. How many times? That's probably where they go to the wedding. They give a nice gift to not go to the reception, I would think. But uh yeah, footloose, Marvin loves that love dancing. All you want to do is dance, Marvin.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 14: Anytime, anytime somebody says, hey, stop doing that. Hey, come on, stop being a footloose parent and just let the kids dance.
Speaker 2: All right, No, but Seaton says, the last thing that he wants is just to dance.
Speaker 11: I've never once thought in my life, like God, I just want to dance.
Speaker 2: Of all the things going on in my teenage angst world, I just want to dance.
Speaker 11: One of the I'm it was it be like man. I wish I was more comfortable dancing, perhaps, but it wasn't. Like man, this place is sure to be a lot better if we were all dancing.
Speaker 2: I just wanted somebody to buy me beer. That's all exes me, sir.
Speaker 11: Yeah, do you minded me if my friends dance? You know that didn't happen.
Speaker 2: No, Hey, as we're right out the convenience store and we're off to the side because we were told not to stand by the door any longer, and then we'd be over by the side and then somebody would go in. Maybe they'd be like, I don't know, six years older, and you go, hey, hey, Greg, Greg, could you could you get a six six pack? It'd be like, what you want a six pack?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Just six pack Colt forty five would be great, okay, And then sometimes, you know, you'd have to give him like five bucks, and then you'd have to give him, you know, the money to buy the beer. So it was a handling fee back then.
Speaker 15: Yes, Todd, if you're Kevin Bacon and you're accepting invitations one of these parties, do you go right to the DJ from the beginning, slip them a few bucks and make sure that that song is not played?
Speaker 6: So they just kind of eliminated from the get go.
Speaker 2: We had him on in New York and he said that he does that. He goes to the DJ and gives him money to me says, do not play that song.
Speaker 6: That's fabulous.
Speaker 2: Yes, by the way, it's a meat Friday's spread. It's bond Mes sandwiches. These are Vietnamese pork sandwiches.
Speaker 13: Is that what they aren't amongst other meats. The meat is interchangeable. Bond me is more like the concept.
Speaker 2: Okay, uh, Subway chicken fried rice in spring rolls? Hell yeah, yeah, who has it better than Todd?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, yes, Paul.
Speaker 13: I have an update on the movie Footloose Dan. Marvin said he couldn't believe the movie. It's based on a true story. There was an article in a magazine They dared to dance, Dan with the name of the article. But a small town in Elmore City, Oklahoma, they face the community crisis. The seniors wanted to have a senior prom, but a not forgotten ordinance from the late eighteen hundreds forbade dancing within the city limits. So it's based on a completely true story.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you feel a little different now, Marvin.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 14: Now if somebody sees you drinking a forty ounce while dancing, whoa, hey, stop that, young man. Oh I'm sorry, here's the beer. No, no, no, no, have the beer. Just just don't dance, thanks, Kevin Beaky.
Speaker 2: Uh those high school dances and you would go and you would just kind of sit there and you would wait and wait and wait, and then the dance would end. And then you'd go home. All you did is watch people dance with their girlfriends. Painful, painful. I was wearing my brothers hand me ups. He was two years older than me, but he's like five ten. I'm six three, and I would I just looked. I looked horrible, horrible. You know, weigh one hundred and forty eight pounds six three one forty eight acne. Had it all going on right there. That's where you know a woman is gonna a girl's gonna say, I'm gonna hitch my wagon to you because you're going to be successful. One day, I had it written all over me. It was covered up with the acne, but it was right there. You just had to find it, Todd.
Speaker 4: But even if you had.
Speaker 15: An opportunity to dance or hook up with someone, those chaperones and the teachers and the parents, they as soon as you get anywhere near somebody they think it's inappropriate, they push you right away.
Speaker 2: That was the least of my worries, Todd. I didn't get close enough for them to say, hey, you're dancing, gotta have room for the for the the Lord, the Holy Spirit had to be between you. Yeah, Hey, look I'll leave room for the Holy Spirit. Just leave a little room for my hands here. Now, yeah, there, you know what it's time for rime time, is it? Yes? Yes, all right, let's do this thing.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's a Friday, and I want people to go into the weekend with a smile on their face. And this is something that Todd came up with. And Todd explained what the formula for this magic, this radio gold is.
Speaker 6: I'm going to give you two words and the answer to the clues of these two words. Those two words.
Speaker 15: Rhyme for instance, for instance, Carlos escape, Carlos escape, Santana. Well, you can think tennis, Carlos escape.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh, al Alcarez, Alcatraz and Alcatraz.
Speaker 15: That's how it works, Okay, Aristotle, Andro Aristotle, Andro.
Speaker 2: Yes, Paul Greek freak.
Speaker 15: The judges were looking for Shack and Mac for the big Aristotle and Andrew Stein.
Speaker 2: Dion and and.
Speaker 15: Okay, game time, game changer, gesters, game changer, gestures.
Speaker 2: So something court game.
Speaker 15: Changer, gesterres cat you got the right you got the right idea on the first.
Speaker 11: One court to clowns, towns, clowns, towns clowns exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay, Anthony towns. He changed how big men play the game?
Speaker 16: Forever repair Bronco repair Bronco crappy.
Speaker 11: Wait, no, that's the second one something Chris slappy crappy.
Speaker 2: Yes, Paul fix Nicks.
Speaker 6: That would be fixed Nicks repair Bronco would be fix Nicks.
Speaker 2: Oh, bow Nicks. Okay, fix the Broncos. Okay.
Speaker 15: Bears timekeepers, this is off the news ever we heard about the Bears.
Speaker 6: Bears time keepers.
Speaker 2: Overcovered, uh, overrated, not making the play owns.
Speaker 14: Yes, Marvin Knox klock Knox clocks Bears timetas would be Knox clock exactly irrelevant.
Speaker 9: Sure, roasted Eminem, roasted Eminem.
Speaker 6: Someone that recently got roasted roasted Eminem, Brady Shady Lady, Maverick Ram.
Speaker 9: A couple of players, Maverick Ram, Luca.
Speaker 6: There you go. It's good. Grill, Dodger grill.
Speaker 2: That's really timely.
Speaker 9: Tank ice cream, Tank ice cream, Dell Bell Dell ice cream brand of ice cream.
Speaker 6: A place you can go for ice cream? Where can you go.
Speaker 8: Get ice cream?
Speaker 4: Dairy?
Speaker 11: Queen asking robins.
Speaker 6: That rhymes with Dell.
Speaker 11: Shell.
Speaker 15: That would be del carvel car Regional.
Speaker 2: Okay, what close?
Speaker 6: Monica? Close? Monica?
Speaker 15: When you close something you're also doing. What closing the door another way of saying close the is shut?
Speaker 6: Okay? Clothes and Monica are the clues.
Speaker 4: Shut n.
Speaker 6: Got worked into it.
Speaker 2: Monica McNutt appearance mcknutt Okay, okay.
Speaker 6: We got one other one and then a bonus the last one.
Speaker 15: Then the bonus is Python's motto, Python's motto.
Speaker 6: Snakes who is known for their pythons?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 6: Motto? What's another word for motto? That Hogan slogan is Python's model. This is a tough one, but this is for the bonus. Angel Hernandez, Angel, Hernandez.
Speaker 15: These two words rhyme. Think about what he did for a living, and then maybe that'll help you. M What did a lot of people think he was?
Speaker 9: That chump chump angel.
Speaker 2: Apparition, Yeah, chump ump Back to you in the studio, Thank you ghosts. And that's rhyme time featuring Monica McNutt, Keith and Florida. Hi, Keith, can you top that? Hello?
Speaker 14: Dan?
Speaker 7: Hello, Danettes and Marvin. I think I can. I'm six feet tall, one hundred and fifty eight pounds, Hey, and a Celtics fan. Celtics and four So I would like to do a tribute to Bill Walton, one of the greatest Celtics and a great guy in the Limerick fashion. If that's okay, Sure, there once was a legend named Bill, a sixth man. He'd come in for the kill. He's won some mvts or la to its knees.
Speaker 8: Meet a greater man.
Speaker 2: You never will.
Speaker 4: It can be a blue bloop on that.
Speaker 2: Everybody's applauding, But Pauline.
Speaker 10: Hator I was low clapping. I was clapping. Where under your good sin?
Speaker 2: Okay? Bob in Montana, Good morning, Bob, welcome back.
Speaker 8: Hey Jpete, thanks for having me on the show again.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 8: Happy ninety fourth birthday to Clint Eastwood. If I can't, I'll go off script and interviewer John Sally interview. I tell you one of my two John Sally stories real quick. Nineteen eighty six. As you know, I went to Open University. John Sally shows up with eight of his teammates for rookie camp. There's a bunch of us playing a pickup game. He looked around to get one extra player. I thought I was going to pick me because I was the biggest, and instead they picked a little black eye about a foot shorter than me. So that's my one and only pseudo discrimination story. I thought I was going to get to play with the Pistons, but it didn't work out.
Speaker 2: So oh well, well, once again blame you for racism exactly.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 8: The real reason I'm calling I wanted to see if Marvin, Renny the other guys wanted to do a pie of the faith bet and I will take the Mavericks straight up over the Celtics.
Speaker 2: All right, anybody want a piece of Bob in Montana? He's taken Luca and company.
Speaker 4: Hi did the face.
Speaker 6: Now because I got the Mavericks winning.
Speaker 2: Okay, no, takers, bomb, haven't you have a great We'll wait? Oh, seton? You want a piece of Bob?
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 11: I just think it's crazy that Marvin has the Mavericks winning. Boy, I'm a little torn on it. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I want.
Speaker 11: I kind of want the Mavericks win, but I don't think they're gonna.
Speaker 2: Okay, uh Andrew in Atlanta? Hi, Andrew.
Speaker 8: DP was throwing on Buddy.
Speaker 4: I'll do good.
Speaker 2: Yep, we're all doing great.
Speaker 8: Happy Friday. By the way, those bomb sandwiches are legit, man, I love those things.
Speaker 4: Thank you? Hey be real quick.
Speaker 8: So you're just discussing celebrating with beers. Do you see Michael Finley take Lucas beerd away from him last night?
Speaker 2: Yes? I did. What what your thoughts are on that?
Speaker 8: That seems a little little.
Speaker 2: I don't want to speculate, I mean, but it was an odd video that Luke after the game has got a beer and said Michael Finley, former mav works for the Mavericks, just walks up and grabs the beer and Luca has this like, can you believe you just did that? Let me take a break. If you're watching on Peacock, our meat Friday will be on display and then we'll come back up shop after that.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: You better be bringing it, Marvin, Ever since I was a time the ball alrighty, last call for phone calls? What we learn? What's in store tomorrow? John Caliperi is changing his philosophy at Arkansas. He's not going to be recruiting as many five star players that he's going to recruit a couple. But he's also going to sprinkle in some older players. He decided that when he went to Arkansas that he would be in the portal and that the formula that he used for recruiting at Kentucky won't work anymore. And he referenced how his team lost to Oakland and he said that, you know, some of these players are twenty four, twenty five, twenty six years of age, which is a little bit of a stretch there. But they did have one player who was twenty four who played for Oakland. What was his name, Jack Golkie, Jack Golkie. Yeah, Yeah, he was bringing it. So Cali Perry says that he is going to change his philosophy, but he does have the opportunity to change his mind if he wants to. But says he's going to sprinkle in some older players like we told him to do. Hey, I've got all these five star recruits and they're going to make millions and millions and millions of dollars in the NBA, and I'm going to get bounced in the second round again.
Speaker 11: Yeah, is fending off tons of five star recruits problem you have to worry about at Arkansas.
Speaker 2: They've got some money down there. They might have some Walmart money.
Speaker 11: Maybe, yeah, they mighte have the pedigree of a Kentucky though.
Speaker 2: No, No, I like that he's willing to change this late in his career. Yeah, yeah, I'm fine with that.
Speaker 11: I agree.
Speaker 2: How about this day in sports history? Paul, I got a couple for you, Danet May thirty first, yep. Eighteen seventy nine, New York's first Madison Square Garden was opened.
Speaker 10: Wow, let's see.
Speaker 13: Oh, here's a weird one. In eighteen eighty, the first US Bicycle Society was founded in Newport, Rhode Island.
Speaker 10: The name of it the League of American Wheelman sounds like a movie, okay.
Speaker 13: And nineteen thirty seven, the Brooklyn Dodgers ended Carl Hubble of the New York Giants. He had a twenty four game winning street buzz kills.
Speaker 2: Lebron had forty eight on this day in two thousand and seven. That was a double overtime win over the Pistons. Let's see what else do we have here? One of the most over one of the most underrated players in NBA history had a twenty four points twenty three rebound performance, and this was in the NBA Finals.
Speaker 10: Paul Nate Thurmandon.
Speaker 2: No, no, God, I felt good about that. You shouldn't have what year nineteen eighty three? See that's not fair. You'll get that Moses. Yes, Moses Malone. Oh he twenty four to twenty three. Moses Malone one of the greatest offensive rebounder in history. God, and he couldn't jump. He didn't have a great shot, but you couldn't keep them off the boards.
Speaker 6: Most no highlights.
Speaker 2: It seems like, no, what are you going to show? You had a weird looking jumper, But he just never quit on the boards. That was the seventy six ers in nineteen eighty three swept the Lakers, And that was the faux Fox fo Moses Malone. But twenty four points, twenty three, Oh, this one's back again. Nineteen forty eight, this pitcher struck out twenty five players in a fifteen inning minor league game and drove in the winning run. If you said Tommy Lesorda, you would be right, Tommy, Tommy bringing some cheese. He struck out. He played pitched in Schenectady and they beat the amsterdamn Rugmakers, and he struck out twenty five and fifteen innings of worse.
Speaker 10: A squad the rugmaker.
Speaker 2: No man, that's this day in sports history. Usain Bolt broke the world record with a wind legal nine point seven to two times in the one hundred meters. That was back in eight How fast do you think he could run the hundreds now? Under ten?
Speaker 6: He's five.
Speaker 13: He's thirty seven years old. Okay, you give him a month, he's going to run a ten three.
Speaker 2: Think So what place would he come in at the Olympics? Yeah, last he would.
Speaker 13: I mean, I'm I don't want to speak ram, but I like get thirty seven. He's been out of competition for over seven years. Yeah, I would say, who would need a year? Okay, man, that'd be greatouldn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, he's not doing it. No, we'd have no reason to do it. He's not like a boxer, you know, like Mike Tyson fifty seven is going to be boxing. This is where it feels like there's wishful betting, where people are hoping that Mike Tyson wins and knocks out Jake Paul just because they don't like Jake Paul. But that's where it's always dangerous because you're not supposed to bet with your heart, bet with your head. I have a hard time though, going Jake Paul's going to win this when you see Tyson working out now, maybe he can only do that for about thirty seconds and then it'll be gassed. But and it's always the same thing with Mike. Whenever Mike got to like the third round, you could see doubt creeping in because we used to joke, what's gonna last longer the national anthem or Mike's fight with whoever it's going to be, you know, uh, Barbus, Frasier, Michael Spinks, any of those guys be like mo, boy, it's over. Does he come bounding out of his corner and go for the knockout right away? It feels like Mike never danced. He was like boom, straight over. It's as if he left the car running outside. Yeah, Pauline, I'm seeing a report here that Jake Paul is six ' to one and he usually fights around two hundred, but he's up to like two twenty.
Speaker 10: Okay, keep an eye on that.
Speaker 2: What part of that like his height or yeah, if he gets tall, I'm gonna break it up the coverage, Yes.
Speaker 14: Mark, one question. You guys were alive for Prime Mike. Yeah, the short black shorts and the trunks in like no robe.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 6: How intimidating was that when he walked to the.
Speaker 2: Ring, Well, it became more intimidating because you knew what he was gonna do when he got to the ring. If he came in and all of a sudden, you know, was a guy who didn't really hit you hard and dance a little bit wouldn't have been as intimidating, but he had whatever that was that he put over him. You know, it was like a I don't know, poncho or something. And then he would just go in and he had business and then he was out because that meant he got to go out and he was going to be partying.
Speaker 15: Yes, Tom, But if you were intimidated by then when he stood across from you in the referees there and he's doing that stare down at you and his eyes are going back and forth, just staring at you, that.
Speaker 6: Was very scary.
Speaker 4: Thank your Tome.
Speaker 2: What did you learn today?
Speaker 4: Todd?
Speaker 6: Fully aware of both of their skill sets. Mike Tannabab would take Randy Moss over Tyreek Hill. Randy Moss over Tyreek Hill.
Speaker 2: You want to try that again.
Speaker 16: Mike, Tanabab would take Randy Moss over Tyreek kill see no connor do I call them morse though morse uh see?
Speaker 2: Would you learn?
Speaker 11: According to the Internet, we learned why Mike Tannebaum's former.
Speaker 2: GM too soon?
Speaker 4: That is me?
Speaker 2: Wait, that is mean. That's mean because he said that he would take Patrick Mahomes and then the next quarterback would be Jordan Love Marvin. What did you learn today?
Speaker 6: The pisses then like John Sally hanging out with other players.
Speaker 2: No, especially Mike Jordan h Paulie. What did you learn?
Speaker 10: Rhyme time back?
Speaker 2: Yes, better than ever?
Speaker 4: Todd?
Speaker 2: What did I learn?
Speaker 15: We don't have to declare today that Luka don Kisch is the best player in the NBA, just off of last night's performance.
Speaker 2: Sliding into the weekend brought to you by our partners King Sawaiian. They want you to get together with family and friends and food. Enjoy the weekend, making every Sunday a slider Sunday. Thanks for the phone calls, emails, tweets. They all around support our pleasure to try to entertain you and we'll try to do better on Monday. Have a sake weekend, everybody for Fritzie's seat, and Marv Paulie yours truly, we'll talk to you then