Speaker 1: Screwworms have invaded beyond the Panama Canal. Will they infect Texas cows grazing amongst the chaparral?
Speaker 2: How would life evolve without a moon? Would we have people? Cats and funky mushrooms?
Speaker 1: How long is the wait until synthetic blood goes on sale? I promise I'm not a vampire. I'm just a little pale.
Speaker 2: Whatever question keeps you up at night, Daniel and Kelly's answer will make it all right.
Speaker 1: Welcome to another Listener Questions episode on Daniel and Kelly's Extraordinary Universe.
Speaker 2: Hi. I'm Daniel. I'm a particle physicist and I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't like to eat blood.
Speaker 3: Hello, I'm Kelly Waiter Smith.
Speaker 1: I study Paris and space and I also am not a big fan of eating blood. What are those blood sausages or whatever that are popular in the UK? Yeah, I can't do that, or at least I've never tried. Maybe I'd like it, but I can't get myself to try it.
Speaker 2: There's some line for me between like normal muscle and like the rest of the body and the blood and the brain and the guts and stuff. It just creeps me. Out though. Katrina has a friend who's big into cooking organs, and she has a website. I think it's called Awful Recipes o ffal.
Speaker 1: You know, I feel like it's actually a deficit of my character that I'm not into eating more of the animal, because I do feel like, yeah, that if you're going to take another animal's life, you really should make the most of it.
Speaker 3: But I just really have problems with the texture and stuff.
Speaker 1: So my solution has been to try to cut down on meat as much as I can.
Speaker 2: No, I totally agree it feels weird to just throw away parts of an animal because you're like, oh, ichy, and when really the whole thing is kind of ikey if you think about it too much, which we all should. We all all should be thinking about it too much and feeling okay about our choices.
Speaker 3: That's right, Yes, we should think through our choices.
Speaker 1: It's so easy to be separated from the food that you eat and not think through the implications of what's happening there.
Speaker 2: But nobody's gonna have an appetite after this episode anyway, right, Kelly, I'm here to help.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's jump right into question number one from John, this is a topic I've been wanted an excuse to dig into for a while, and so let's hear what disgusting thing John wanted to know about. Well, friends, At this point in the episode, we thought we were going to drop an audio file where our friend John reads his questions. But sometimes an audience member will send a question and then they disappear. Maybe they've moved away, maybe they're busy, hopefully they're well. We never got the audio file, so I'm going to go ahead and read the question from John. Here we go, Please do a segment on the current situation at the South border concern cattle and the re emergence of the parasitic fly and their maggot offspring known as screwworms. Is the current embargo something worth worrying about? Will it spread across the border regardless.
Speaker 3: Of what we do?
Speaker 1: Are there any human diseases related to the parasite after eliminating them back fifty sixty years ago? How did it become a problem again? Catching us by surprise?
Speaker 3: Thanks? Oh man, Daniel, all right, nobody.
Speaker 2: Why were you so excited to get this question?
Speaker 3: Kelly?
Speaker 1: Well, because I had been hearing about screwworms for a while, but had never really dug in, and so they were on sort of like the periphery of my consciousness. And I was like, oh great, now there's a new parasite that I have an excuse to learn about. But I what is a really good word for? Like I'm begging, I beseech you. I beseech you do not look up pictures of screwworm or like what screwworm does to people, because the photos have to Oh god, it's really horrible. And if you do, we will go ahead and record some video so that we can put your reaction up on Blue Sky and our Instagram accounts because it's really horrifying. So so let me go into the life cycle before we do anything else.
Speaker 2: Okay, tell us what is this thing? Basically, because I know just because it's called a screw worm doesn't mean it's a worm.
Speaker 3: It's not a worm.
Speaker 2: It's called the screw worm, doesn't mean it screws anything. So what is it? And how does it live?
Speaker 1: It is not a worm, but it does screw, So it is this we're talking about the new World screw worm. There is another species in the quote unquote old world. And so the deal here is it's a fly. Mom lays her eggs around the edges of wounds or on mucous membrane, so like around your eyes or in your mouth and stuff. I know, I know, bad start bad start. The eggs hatch and the larva like the baby's hatch out of the eggs, and then they start screwing into the flesh to get into the flesh to eat it. And that's why they're called screw worms. I guess they sort of screw in the way a screw screws into wood.
Speaker 2: Why did they screw? I mean, they can't just like chew their way in like any normal parasite.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess they're doing both.
Speaker 1: But also a lot of parasites aren't like chewing their way through flesh. So for example, you know, hookworms have like hooked mouths and they sort of bite down, but they're not like kind of chewing their way through and migrating through the flesh, whereas screw worms are migrating through the flesh, which is really truly horrible.
Speaker 2: Why are they migrating through? Like where did they want to go? I happen to be between them and their destination.
Speaker 1: Well, no, they've consumed the flesh, they're done with it. They want more flesh, and so they're screwing in to get more of it. And so, you know, we talked in a previous episode about maggots that specifically ate dead tissue, and so they were useful for cleaning out wounds. But these flies are specifically eating the live tissue. Wow, and they are not pleasant. So they screw in, they eat. When they're done eating, they fall out and off the host onto the ground.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: They do a stage called pew.
Speaker 1: Painting, and then when they hatch, they emerge as adults who go off in search of more flesh to lay their eggs on.
Speaker 2: How come nobody call these like zombie flies or something?
Speaker 3: So we usually reserve the word zombie.
Speaker 1: For instances where a host behavior is being sort of like manipulated in a way that benefits the parasite at the expense of the host.
Speaker 2: I love this. They're like semi official rules in biology for what you can call a zombie.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, there's a lot of fighting over this.
Speaker 1: There are people who feel like you shouldn't be using the phrase zombie at all because you're just going to confuse the public. They're not coming back from the dead. I feel like the public gets that, like you need to give them a little bit more credit.
Speaker 2: But are there similar rules for like werewolf or mummy.
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: No, no, all right, so it's a free for folks. If you discover something, feel free to call it a where way.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, there are there are a fit mum, and so they essentially shells of their former self because parasites have like eaten their insides and stuff, and they're like pale relative to the others. I don't know too much about aphan mummies anyway, So to get back on track, I ended up watching a video lecture that veterinarians are supposed to watch to get like, you know, credit for their requirements for their field about screwworms, and they were like, sometimes it'll just be like a pinprick hole in an animal, because like you know, dogs and stuff can get this too, and you just have to feel the hole and you feel the worms moving around inside. So it's not even that it's like a big anyway, super gross.
Speaker 2: So you can be walking around with like a sack of these worms inside you.
Speaker 1: You would know, But yes, the answer is yes. So females lay something like two hundred to three hundred eggs at a time, and they can lay two to four batches in their lifetime, so you can pretty quickly once you have an open wound, it attracts.
Speaker 3: More screwflies or more screw worms.
Speaker 1: So if you're in an area where there's a lot of screwworms, you can pretty quickly build up a life threatening illness because they're just eating so much of you. Or you can get secondary infections because now you have this growing wounds that can you know, acquire bacteria and you die that way.
Speaker 3: So it's truly awful.
Speaker 2: And what do they usually eat? Is it mostly people or is it dogs? Are they totally indiscriminate.
Speaker 1: Anything they can really get their hands on, So quite often they're going after livestock or they can go after wildlife. Sometimes you find it in pets and occasionally you will find it in people.
Speaker 2: And do they have the same preference for flesh as Kelly does, like do they prefer the muscle or they eat you know, organs and eyeballs and any sorts of things.
Speaker 1: So I don't preferentially eat wounds on animals and they have a tendency also to go form mucus membranes and like genitalia stuff like that, and so I would say they do not have similar preferences to Kelly.
Speaker 2: I'm not trying to put you together in a category. It's just using you as an example.
Speaker 1: I'm feeling a little insulted, but I'm gonna I really like parasites enough that I'm going to rise above and decide that to compliment. But so this used to be in the United States. It was a huge problem. Like in nineteen thirty five, one hundred and eighty thousand cattle died in Texas alone from this parasite. So you typically find it in South and Central America, and it was in North America for a while. Tended to be in the Southern States because that stage that lives off of the animals is cold sensitive, so if it freezes, that kills them, but they can come back during the summer, so you can still get them pretty far north, just depending on where they've managed to travel. But this was such a big problem for agriculture that the United States said, all right, we absolutely need to do something about this. And so what they did was they developed in nineteen fifty eight, what's still called the sterile insect technique.
Speaker 3: And this is something I think you might enjoy.
Speaker 1: So essentially, they they get the flies, they can well wait for it, wait for it.
Speaker 2: I love hearing about sterility as a rule.
Speaker 3: So yeah, oh yeah, well I know that's a thing for you. I don't know you started this path. I just took the next step.
Speaker 2: Well, what is a sterile insect technique?
Speaker 1: Okay, So they take a stage of the flies and they expose them to radiation, and in particular, they're exposing them to low doses of cobalt and this essentially sterilizes the male flies and then they release loads of male flies out there. And the thing that you need to know about screwworms is that the females only mate once in their life, even though they're laying multiple clutches of eggs. So if a female mates with one of these irradiated males, the eggs that she lays will not hatch. And so by doing this, you essentially are like pulling females out of the population, like they still exist, but they're not making any viable eggs. And so every generation you put more sterile males out there, and over time you can drop the population down to zero using.
Speaker 2: This method, down to zero, really.
Speaker 3: Down to zero.
Speaker 1: So actually we started doing this in nineteen fifty eight, and by nineteen sixty six the United States was free of New World screwworm?
Speaker 2: How do you get down to zero? I understand that you can suppress the population because you have some males that are sterile, But as long as you have any males that are not sterile, won't you keep getting some more screw worms.
Speaker 1: They do this generation after generation after generation, and they swamp the population with these sterile males. And so they're literally like loading up airplanes and dropping airplanes full of no no, no, no, This is how they distribute the screw worms. They drop airplanes full of these sterile insects.
Speaker 2: If anything is going to inspire conspiracy theories about the government, then like dropping airplane loads of intentionally irradiated flies on the population.
Speaker 3: Wow, flesh eating flies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, eating irradiated flies. Oh my gosh. All right, but it's good for you, folks, really, it's in your interest.
Speaker 3: Trust us, trust the scientists.
Speaker 2: So all right, so they did this and it worked amazingly. Ya science M M.
Speaker 1: But the problem was that screwworm was still present in Mexico, and so it kept getting across the southern border, and so this problem didn't go away. So we decided, okay, you know what, We're going to eradicate screw worm from Mexico as well. Yeah, and so they started, with the Mexican government's permission. This was a collaboration. They started dropping plane folds of sterile screw worms over Mexico and by nineteen ninety one, Mexico was free of screwworm. Yay, which is amazing. And so they ended up marching screw worm back farther and farther and farther until screwworm was only found on the southern side of the Panama Canal.
Speaker 2: This seems like such good news. It must be ironic foreshadowing for some terrible twist you're about to drop on us.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is no this is good news, full stop.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: There were like decades where we were completely without screw worms. It's amazing, like go science. And so Panama has this facil where they're constantly making these sterile insect males and they're constantly dropping them in the Panama Canal region to try to make sure that screw worm doesn't make its way back up again, because it's still present south of the Panama Canal.
Speaker 2: Why don't the South American governments do this as well so we can eradicate this guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great question. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's too expensive or what. But the countries that did eradicate it had American help and collaboration to sort of scale up to keep this going. But it's kind of amazing that it hasn't gotten past because we move a lot of animals around, you know, and so like in two thousand, a gelding, which is like a kind of horse but I don't know much about horses because I hate horses, was imported.
Speaker 2: Well, technically, it's a sterilized male horse.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 2: Sterilized surgically oh ye, not.
Speaker 1: With radiation, not with cobalt. Oh no, snip snip okay, got it.
Speaker 3: Got it.
Speaker 1: So a snip snipped mail horse was brought to Florida from South America, and as it was coming across the border, it was discovered that it had screw and it went into quarantine, got treated, and so it didn't spread yay. In two thousand and seven, a dog from Trinidad was sent to Florida and it had screwworm larva you know, snacking behind its eyes.
Speaker 3: Oh god, I know, I know.
Speaker 1: And the dog made it to Mississippi and so it could have been spreading it, but a veterinarian in Mississippi found them, reported it. It was controlled, it got treated, the dog lived, It didn't spread.
Speaker 2: Amazing, but it feels like fingers in the dike.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it does, right. So in twenty sixteen, there was an outbreak in the Florida Keys. We don't know how screw worm made it to the Florida Keys, but it got there and it ended up in the key deer population, which is an endangered subspecies of white tailed deer that you find in that area, and one hundred and thirty five of them died. That was about ten percent of the population. It also infected dogs, pet pigs, cats, in a raccoon.
Speaker 3: I know, super sad.
Speaker 1: But we put sterile males out and we were able to get it under control again. So using that steril insect technique, we wiped it back out again. But this current outbreak, as I understand. It is the most concerning outbreak that's happened so far. So screwworm has managed to jump above the Panama Canal. I don't think we know how it happened, and it has been sort of creeping its way back up, heading into Mexico and getting close to the border. So Zach was just in Texas visiting his family and he said that they they were like commercials about you know, watch out for screwworm. Check your animals, keep an eye out, because we really want to make sure this thing doesn't establish here.
Speaker 2: Check your eyeballs, Check your eyeballs.
Speaker 3: Oh gross.
Speaker 1: So it's been estimated that if it takes hold in the US, it could cost over one and a quarter billion dollars to eradicate it from the US if we had to deal with this again. It was recently announced that eight and a half million dollars is going to go to building another facility to raise sterile mail insects in Texas and then they're going to work with the Panama facility to try to wipe screw worm out between Panama and the US and the areas where it's taken hold. So they are putting a lot of energy and money into trying to tackle this because it would be a big deal if it got across the border.
Speaker 2: I really hope they tackle it before it gets to my house.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, Well, you know, they probably don't want to go to California anyway, because it's like kind of a boring place.
Speaker 3: I'm more worried about Virginia.
Speaker 2: But they don't like mountains, they don't like oceans, they don't like beautiful weather. You're right, they should head to Virginia.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, We've got much better wildlife here, and I'm sure the wildlife is delicious, and so, you know, come to Virginia.
Speaker 3: This got weird.
Speaker 1: So well, Virginia will change our motto from a Virginia is for lovers to Virginia is for screw worms. But anyway, so John wanted to know, should we worry about this problem?
Speaker 2: I'm already worrying. Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the answer is yes we should worry, and people are worrying and taking what seems to be appropriate measures to me, And are there any human disease is related to this parasite? I wasn't able to find any. So the parasite can infect and live in people, and that's horrible. But I don't think it spreads any diseases as far as I was able to tell. And how did it manage to catch us by surprise? I would say it didn't catch us by surprise. Monitoring for this is pretty widespread, and we've been constantly sort of working to keep this below the southern border.
Speaker 3: To be honest, I am amazed and.
Speaker 1: Very proud of our efforts that it hasn't gotten above Panama more often like this. It's incredible that we've been able to control it to the extent that we have. So, you know, something just managed to move across the border that was infected by screwworm and we're on it again. This is probably unless we completely remove screwworm from the face of the planet, this is something we're just always going to have to deal with happening from time to time, would be my guess.
Speaker 2: Well, let me take the other side of this. Let me be the screw worm advocate. You know, many things are unpleasant or heat or gross, but then it turns out they serve some positive function in the ecosystem. If we remove screwworm from the Earth, we just like delete all of them. Is there some beautiful critter that like eats screw worms. It's no longer going to be around.
Speaker 1: No, no, So I don't actually know the answer, But what I can tell you is that for decades we have managed to eradicate screwworm from North America and most of Central America, and we haven't seen ecosystems collapse or something like that, you know. So it's possible that there is that birds really liked eating screw worms and they have a little bit.
Speaker 3: Less food to eat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think this is one of those things where as a pro human individual, I think that any ecosystem costs would be worth it because otherwise that you know, the costs for our livestock and our pets and for you know, endangered species like the key deer, it would be better to not have it around.
Speaker 2: And then Kelly wouldn't have to think about gross pictures online as she eats her hamburger.
Speaker 1: My god, it was a horrible photo of like the head of a key dear that I won't I'll stop, So John, thank you for this fascinating question and go science. Okay, next up, we have a question from Robert from Richmond.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Robert for reaching out to me to ask this question. And remember to everybody out there, if you have a question about the way the universe works, something you want to understand, and you'd like Daniel and Kelly to break it down for you, please just write to us to questions at Danielankelly dot org. Don't ask chat GPT, don't read some nonsense online. Reach out to us. We really will set you right, all right. Here's Robert from Richmond.
Speaker 5: This is Robert from Richmond, Virginia. I was wondering how life on Earth would have evolved differently, if at all, if we didn't have the moon, so we wouldn't have tied to mix the primordial soup, we wouldn't necessarily have as much of a tilted axis. Even nocturnal predators wouldn't have the light of the moon at night to hunt. The moon has been there for so long that it's kind of interesting to see how it would be different without it. But also, there are so many planets that have more than one moon. We're kind of unique in that way. How would life evolve differently with more moons? I know there's a lot too unpacked there. I appreciate all the hard work. Keep it up look forward to hearing from you guys.
Speaker 3: Well, this is a great question which is exactly what I would expect for a fellow citizen of Virginia, which.
Speaker 2: Is what a Virginian is this a Mitmonian.
Speaker 1: Rich Mendian, Virginian. Richard is a Virginian, a fellow Virginia.
Speaker 2: And Richard is doing something which I do all the time, in which I love seeing in people, which is thinking about how the universe could be different? Why is it this way? And that's like one of the big questions of science, that's why we do science to understand is the way our universe works? An accident, is it happened for a reason? Of those reasons important? Do they determine why we're here? All these things help un rapper like the context of our lives. So yeah, awesome, Robert, thank you for thinking big. Or maybe Robert's just writing a science fiction novel and need some.
Speaker 3: Help and we're happy to do that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no problem, no problem. Yeah, So this question has a lot of angles. You could think about whether life would have evolved if Earth never had a moon, or you could think about what would happen if we lost our moon. So I started with that one because it's sort of like a fun science fiction scenario, like, Hey, we have a moon, are we going to have it forever? Is it possible we could lose our moon? And the answer to that is yes. You know, people think about the Solar System as sort of static and this slow moving parade of planets around the Sun that's been happening forever, But that's not true. The Solar System is kind of chaotic. It's just on longer time scales than we mostly think about. You know, the order of the planets we have today is not the same order the planets we've had forever. Planets have migrated in and then migrated out. There are theories that we had another gas giant that when Jupiter and Saturn migrated to the inner Solar System and then back out, one of these was tossed into outer space. So there might be like a lost sibling planet out there.
Speaker 1: I like to imagine the noise it made as it got flung out into space.
Speaker 2: Why mean exactly? And maybe that planet had like the best climate in the whole Solar System. Maybe the Solar System lost its California in that interaction, And I'll never know. That's fine, and so in a similar way, we could lose our moon. You know, something could like hit the Moon and deflect it and knock it out of orbit. In fact, right now, scientists are tracking a new interstellar comet. This is a piece of the universe that comes from another star, like a big chunk of rock and ice thrown out of another solar system that's passing through hours and we don't think it's going to hit the Earth or that close, but it's moving really really fast. And if it did hit the Earth, wow, that would be devastating. And if it hit the Moon, it could certainly knock it out of orbit.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I remember when I heard that. My first thought was, oh, all right, hitting the Moon. That would be like a bummer for a lot of reasons, but that would be better. And then I'm like, wait a minute, maybe that wouldn't be better, or it would be better, but like not much better.
Speaker 2: Yeah. In fact, there's a great science fiction novel called Seven Eves which starts out with some aliens basically destroying our moon. It's never really explained how it happens, but most of the book has to do with trying to survive the destruction of the moon because if it turns into rubble and then starts falling into Earth, filling the atmosphere with this stuff, and you basically have a nuclear holocaust on Earth. It's end of days kind of stuff. So we don't want our moon to be obliterated into dust, but it could also just be knocked out of our orbit. We could just lose it and go wandering into the Solar System. And so that lets us think about, like, well, what would life be like on Earth if we didn't explode the Moon, if it just sort of like drifted away somehow. Well, the Moon plays a big role in biological experience, right, Like we know, for example, that the Moon causes tides right high tide and low tide. This is because of gravitational tidal forces. That's why they're called tidal forces. And the physics here is really fun and it sounds complicated because it's gravity and all that stuff, but it's pretty basic. You know, one side of the Earth is closer to the Moon than the other side of the Earth, and so the Moon's gravity pulls on the Earth harder on the closer side than the further side, So it turns to Earth into something like a football instead of a sphere. It's like squeezing the earth, and the water on the Earth is the squishiest bit, and so it responds the most. Most people don't realize though, that all of the Earth gets squeezed. They are these things called land tides that move the distance of the surface of the Earth relative to the center by meters. Yes, as the Moon goes around the Earth, it squeezes and massages the Earth changes its shape, not just the water, but the land also changes its shape.
Speaker 3: Lies. That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yes, these are lies propagated by flies that the government drops over California, infected with conspiracy theories.
Speaker 3: Why you could dropping worse things?
Speaker 2: Probably, Yes, most people know about the moon's effect on water tides, but not so much about the moon's effect on the earth. Right. And also, the Sun gives us tides, right, Like, the Sun is much further away, but it's also much more massive, So if you got rid of the Moon, we would still have tides. Right. Tides are combination of the Sun's tides and the Moon's tides, which is one reason why tides are complicated. Like if you look at a tidal chart, it's never like it goes up, it goes down. It goes up, it goes down. It's a simple sid It's complicated. It goes up, it goes down, it comes up less, it goes down more. It's really complicated. And that's due to the Sun and the moon and the shape of the inlets and stuff. Tides are really complicated. Isaac Newton started working on them hundreds of years ago, and it wasn't until like one hundred years ago or so that we had a pretty solid understanding of the physics there.
Speaker 1: Tides made my PhD super confusing because I had, you know, I had to go out and collect snails when the tide was low, and I would always think like, oh, I remember when the tide was the other day. I'm going to extrapolate forward, and you know it was not as predictable as I wanted it to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, they're complicated, and people think that this complexity might have really been important for the development of life. Like number one, If you got rid of the tides, a lot of life by the seashore would be very confused, and a lot of assumptions they make and things they rely on would be thrown into chaos. So the conditions for life on Earth would be drastically different, and some things would live and some things would not live. But also historically will imagine that tides played a role in the evolution of life, that when you're on the border between fresh water and saltwater, you have these brackish water systems and there's a lot of like mixing up that happens, and you can imagine like water sloshing up into these tide pools and mixing this bit of biochemistry. But that bit of biochemistry, and maybe that's even plays a role in abiogenesis. A lot of this is very speculative, right, like, hmm, maybe this and this seems like a compelling story. None of it is the kind of science where we can like, let's do the experiment. Let's have an earth without a moon and an Earth with moons, and let's see if life starts more often. It's just sort of more like a reasonable sounding story, And that doesn't make it like non scientific. It just means, hey, this is the most we can do right now, sort of think about it clearly and try to imagine. So we don't know the answer to like could life have evolved without a moon? Would life evolve differently without a moon? But there are strong arguments to make that it's certainly possible.
Speaker 1: So estuaries are ecosystems where fresh water it's salt water. If you didn't have the moon, would estuaries narrow, Yeah.
Speaker 2: There'd be a narrower band there, right, because it'd be less mixing, right, because the moon brings the salt water up further into the fresh water.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, estuaries play an important role for ecological services, and they're economically important because they end up being places where baby crabs and baby fish that we like to eat start their lives.
Speaker 3: So anyway, let's keep the moon there. I've decided.
Speaker 2: The moon makes things yummy nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, yeah, the moon makes yummy things.
Speaker 2: And the moon also affects global weather in other ways because it changes current patterns. You know, it helps stabilize climates by mixing up the air. Like it's pulling on the air as well, so it's not just water. Has all sorts of effects on the air and on the land. In addition, of course, the moon provides light at night, right, It's like essentially huge mirror in space reflecting the Sun down to Earth. And so any crater that like takes advantage of a little bit of moonlighte for hunting is going to be disadvantaged. There is another in the category of like things would be different. We don't know exactly what that would mean, but we can sort of speculate intelligently, and it seems certain that it would dramatically change the conditions for life.
Speaker 1: Would it be good for our favorite creatures, which are rats, that would it help them hide at night?
Speaker 2: It would it be good for rats that are out at night, especially because it would be bad for owls, right, owls that do a lot of rat eating. But also it would be good for astronomers. You know, having a moon is really bad when you're on the ground with your telescope and you want to look at some star and then boom, you have this huge sun mirror shining into your eyeballs. It's a lot harder to have dark nights. So a lot of our dark knights are ruined by a moon. So you know, maybe there's a conspiracy out there among astronomers to get rid of the moon.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, knock it off. Knock it off. We need the moon.
Speaker 2: And there's even more dramatic effects that the moon plays on the Earth. It's not just the tides and not just the air, it's not just the night, but the Earth's rotation and tilt are strongly affected by the moon because the moon is pretty big, like especially for our moon, right, lots of moons in the Solar system are much smaller than our moon, but our moon is big enough that it carries a significant fraction of the angular energy of the Earth Moon system. So people think that the Earth's rotation itself is affected by having a moon, and that the tilt of the Earth is sort of moderated by the moon. So like if we didn't have a moon, earth tilt might be even crazier, it might be much deeper.
Speaker 3: That would affect seasons.
Speaker 2: It absolutely would affect seasons. Or it could also have no tilt, right, and we can end up with no seasons. And so the Earth's rotation and the earth tilt is a product of this balance between the Earth and the Moon. And there's another fun thing that's happening there, which is that as these two are sort of massaging each other right tidal and they're using their angular momentum to massage each other, and it takes some energy to sequi easy the Earth into a football. As it does that, it's losing some of its angry momentum, and so the Moon is actually getting further and further away from us every year, and not by like some tiny amount like microns or something. It's happening by one centimeter per year.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's still a tiny amount. I thought you were gonna tell me like a mile a year or something, but you know that. I'm still concerned because I'm Kelly, and I'm concerned about everything. But like, the centimeter doesn't sound like a lot. Convince me it's a lot.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not a lot for a year, but if you have a lot of years, that's a lot of centimeters. Imagine what the Moon might have looked like a million years ago or two million years ago. As our ancestors are walking across the plains. They had a bigger moon in their night than we did.
Speaker 3: Dinosaurs saw a bigger moon.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, that's kind of cool. Yeah, okay, Dinosaur astronomers had an easier time understanding the surface of the Moon because it was closer.
Speaker 3: Now I care work.
Speaker 1: Did dinosaur entomologists drop steril insects on Californians.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite dinosaur stories is somebody who reconstructed the path of the asteroid that hit the Earth sixty five million years ago, and at least one of the possible paths includes a close flyby before it actually hit, So that means that dinosaur astronomers had plenty of warning. Oh wow, they could have seen this thing in the sky before it hit, like weeks beforehand and prepared. But man, they didn't fund astronomy enough. So there's a lesson, folks, fund astronomy.
Speaker 1: That's right, Dinosaur NASA should have gotten a lot more money.
Speaker 2: And on that note, you know, this interstellar commt is fascinating and it's not going to hit the Earth, so nobody should worry. But you know, if it was pointed at the Earth, then we would have very little time to do anything about it, which means we should be getting ready to do something about it before we spot these things. So like we really should be spending more time and energy on Earth protective services if you ask me.
Speaker 1: So that's that's two squares on your Bingo card if you're not keeping track. There's a existential dread and more funding for science.
Speaker 2: Especially because these sins could be lobbed in our direction by aliens. So there's another Bengo square.
Speaker 1: Fo yep, yep, yeah, Oh sorry, we still got to hit on cannibalism and poop.
Speaker 3: We'll get there, all right.
Speaker 2: So if we lost our moon, or if Earth never had a moon, we're looking at a very different situation for life. We know that life on Earth would change a lot, or may have not evolved or could have evolved very differently. I don't have any reason to believe this, but my hunch is that if Earth didn't have a moon, we still might have gotten life. It just would be very different. You know, it's easy to say these conditions were required for life to turn out as we know it. Therefore life wouldn't have evolved if you don't have those conditions. But I think it's also equally likely that life just would have been weird or indifferent. But the other side of Robert's question is not just losing our moon, but what about more moons? What if Earth had two moons or seven moons? What would that be like? And is that possible? And yes, it is still possible at this fairly mature stage in the Solar system to get more moons. We think this happened a lot with Jupiter and Saturn, for example, some of their moons were formed as the planet's formed, sort of leftover stuff that was too far out and moving too fast to fall into the planet, sort of the same way the planets didn't fall into the Sun. And these moons tend to orbit in the plane of the Solar System. But some of the moons have like wacky orbits, and this might be because they're captured. They're just something that came by and the gravity of Jupiter or Saturn grabbed onto it. And so the Earth could do that too. You have some chunk of stuff from another Solar System or from somewhere else in the Solar System comes by at the right angle and the right velocity, the Earth could grab it, and then we could get two moons. Wow, and then we'd have even wackier tides.
Speaker 1: If you had to guess probabilistically, if something comes close to Earth, yeah zero oh yeah, okay, so it would be more likely to smack into us and do damage then create another moon, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, most likely it hits us or it totally misses us. But to get captured, you need to have exactly the right velocity and radius match, right, Like you know, first your physics, you can do the orbital mechanics at every radius from the Earth. You need a specific velocity in order to be in orbit, and so those things have to match, and the angle has to match, and so yeah, it's unlikely, but you know, obviously it has happened. There definitely are moons that have been captured, so it could happen to us. Whoa, and so it would affect the tides. They would be even more complicated for grad students trying to plan their experiments.
Speaker 3: Trying to go get snails.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could affect the Earth's tilt and spin if it's a big thing, right, So it could have a real impact. And those two moons then would have complicated interactions. They could even like squeeze each other and induce, like you know, stuff going on inside those moons. You could end up with like a volcanic moon in the sky. That would be pretty awesome.
Speaker 3: Could we get a ring? Could they break each other apart and give us some ring?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Yeah, the moon could destroy the other one, or the other one could destroy the moon. We could end up with a ring. It could be really fascinating. So is this something you should worry about. It's unlikely that we would lose our moon anytime in your lifetime or your children's lifetime or the next thousand years. If we lose the moon's pretty survivable. If the moon gets destroyed, then yeah, you'll be glad you built that bunker. But you know, I think you have bigger things to worry about. I think you should be more worried about screwworm than moons.
Speaker 3: And science funding.
Speaker 2: All right, well, thanks very much for that question, Robert. Let me know how your science fiction novel is turning.
Speaker 5: Out awesome, Thank you guys. So basically, we don't know, and I kind of love when this happens because it's finding the edges of what we know and don't know, and it just shines a light on areas of future research. You know, maybe if we figure out how the moon or moons might play a part in evolution, then that might help future SETI type programs to search for exoplanets with you know, only one moon if we find that that's a critical part of you know, life creation, or focus on planets that have moons and ignore the ones that don't. Whatever that case is. But I appreciate it, Thank you very much, and yay, go fund research.
Speaker 2: All right, we're back and we're answering questions from listeners, and we're going back from physics into the gross world of biology. So finish up that snack before you listen to the rest of this episode.
Speaker 1: Let's listen to a fantastic question from Anthony.
Speaker 4: Hello, Daniel and Kelly. I'm Anthony from Orlando, Florida. I enjoy your podcast and learn a great deal from you both. Your recent conversation on Preon's was fascinating and scary. I believe there is a comment in that discussion on synthetic blood. What is the progress in developing synthetic blood for general use? Are we any closer to it being used? Would it be universal or type like regular blood? Again, thank you and love your podcast.
Speaker 2: All right, Kelly, So what is blood anyway?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's complicated. It's not It depends, but it's complicated. So blood, depending on how you want to slice it, blood can be three or more things. So one of them is plasma. This is like the fluidy part of your blood. It's something like fifty five percent of your blood.
Speaker 2: I've never understood why do they call it plasma, because to me, plasma is a gas that's been heated up until you get ions. Is there some similarity between physics plasma and blood plasma?
Speaker 1: Gosh, you know, if I had to put money on it, our plasma came first. So I don't know the answer, but you guys probably stole it.
Speaker 2: From us, fair fair.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: So yeah, this it carries stuff around like electrolytes and hormones and antibodies made by your immune system, and it's the bulk of blood, like fifty five percent of blood. It also carries around stuff that helps with coagulation, so like when you get a cut and your cut sort of clots up and makes a scam. And then about forty four percent is red blood cells, and inside of the red blood cells is hemoglobin, and hemoglobin is what carries oxygen to different parts of your body. And then the last part is platelets, and these are like little parts of cells that are really important for coagulation and clotting up wounds.
Speaker 2: So as somebody who's naive about biology, I always imagine the blood is like, you know, it's the circulatory system. It's like the highway for the body. Everything that needs to go from one place to another gets dumped into the blood. And then somebody else pulls it out.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: And so we're talking about water, electrolytes andti bodies, red blood cells, platelets. All this stuff is just flowing through the blood and useful to some bits.
Speaker 3: Of the body.
Speaker 2: Is that fair?
Speaker 3: Yes, Your blood vessels are the highway system move in the blood around.
Speaker 2: So then why do we have different types of blood when it makes blood A or B or O or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, So we've known about this for a while, So I'm just gonna quick back up into history. So for a while, we were like infusing blood from dogs into people, or blood from lambs into people. Actually I think it was mostly lambs, and there was a bit of a religious like lambs are sort of innocent, lamb of God sort of thing, and so that's the right kind of animal to be putting into our bodies. And so for a while, lamb blood was going into people. But we learned that not only is it bad to put blood from other animals into humans, it can also be bad to switch blood from one human to another. And Austrian physician Karl Landsteiner in nineteen hundred started mixing up different blood from different people and he was like, well, sometimes when you mix blood together, it coagulates and sometimes it doesn't, and it's always the same if you take blood from He wasn't.
Speaker 2: Doing his experiments in people. He was like doing this in the lab.
Speaker 1: As I understand it, he was extracting blood from people in his lab and he was like, you know, if you extract blood from person A in person B, every time you do that and mix the bloods together, it clots. But person a in person sees blood every time you do it doesn't clot when you put them together. So what the heck is going on there? And he eventually gets the Nobel Prize in Physiology and Medicine for sort of figuring this out. And the answer is that blood have like proteins that are like sticking out on the cells, and some people have different kinds of proteins than others. And if two people have different proteins on their blood cells, then your immune system will recognize it as foreign and attack it.
Speaker 2: And that's what the clots are. And the clots are like the immune system clumping it up.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, yeah, and so but so you asked why do we have different blood types?
Speaker 3: And the answer, we do not know.
Speaker 1: And so for a while it was popular to postulate that it had something to do with like our ancestry and where we came from. Like type A blood is maybe, you know, like hunter gatherers, and so those people actually should be eating more of like a hunter gatherer diet because their blood.
Speaker 3: Is like that's what it evolved for.
Speaker 1: But the answer is that blood types show up in primates before humans. So you know, chimpanzees have blood types, and we don't really understand it could have something to do with differences in immune functioning. So you know, maybe people with type A blood might be more susceptible to some virus that sweeps through the population, and type B blood would be less susceptible. And this variability popped up at some point and then was retained because it helped some parts of the population avoid diseases. But the answer is, we really don't know. But it happened before humans came around, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So then it can't be explained by for example, I radiated flesh eating flies distributed on the population by the government.
Speaker 3: Guys, those flies that are radiated. It's a good thing. It's a good thing.
Speaker 1: The science is helping us. You Californians are always jumping to conspiracy theories.
Speaker 2: It's just so fun. It's just so easy. Now I see why they do it.
Speaker 3: It feels good, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't need evidence, it just need a compelling story. That's right, all right. So we have all these things inside the blood. So why do we think about synthetic blood? Why do people work on making fake blood?
Speaker 1: So right now, what we do is we get blood from donors, and that's great. And when you donate blood, often what happens is your blood is sort of separated out into different parts, the red blood cells, the plasma, the platelets, and they can go to different people depending on their need. A major need for blood, though, is trauma. So you know, for example, if you get into a car accident and you lose a lot of blood when you get to the er, when you get into the ambulance, they might want to try to increase the amount of blood that you have, and so donated blood gets used for that purpose. And then another important use for blood is in wartime, and here it's particularly hard to transport blood from blood banks back home because blood has a shelf life.
Speaker 3: So red blood.
Speaker 1: Cells are good for you know, a bit more than a month month and a half, depending on like where you are and what their rules are. I think platelets are good for something like a week. Uh, And so this stuff isn't good indefinitely, and it takes a long time to get it from a bank to overseas, for example, if you're talking about a war situation, and so having synthetic blood would be great not only for these situations where you know it's hard to get the blood to where it needs to go, but also every once in a while we have shortages. So, for example, the Red Cross has declared blood shortages at different times, and so if you can't get enough blood from people, it would be nice to have synthetic blood. And the purpose of synthetic blood is really just to hold you over until your body can start making your own.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't it also be nice to have synthetic blood because then you could prevent like the spread of blood borne diseases.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, So I mean that's worth considering. But at this point, we have.
Speaker 1: A lot of complicated screening procedures to find out if blood is carrying infections, and I believe that we extract out, for example, white blood cells before you give people blood, because white blood cells, you know, could be carrying things like HIV, And so the probability that you pick up a disease from a transfusion in the United States and the UK is very low. It might be higher in other parts of the world, but we're very careful about screening it here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so how do the various human blood types connect to the question of like making synthetic blood where we have to make several different synthetic blood types.
Speaker 1: Well, so that's the great thing about synthetic blood is hopefully you don't have to worry about typing anymore because you can make synthetic blood that doesn't have those sort of proteins sticking on the outside that are going to attract the attention of the immune system. And so it would be helpful for example, like you know, imagine there's an accident and somebody whose blood type you don't know is going to need a bunch of blood. I guess you need to take all of the different kinds of blood with you, and then you need to take the time to get a small sample of blood from the trauma patients to figure out what kind of blood they have, or at least you need to make sure you've got enough of the universal donor's blood, which is type O, to bring with you. So it would be much less complicated if you didn't have to worry about blood typing at all, and you could just universally have a synthetic blood that you could bring with you that was more shelf stable. This would solve a lot of problems. So most of the research so far has been done on making synthetic red blood cells. So this is again about forty five percent of what blood is made of. And initially what they were doing was they just got hemoglobin, which is the part that binds to the oxygen, and they were putting hemoglobin in people. They were like, well, the important thing is the oxygen transport in an emergency to keep everything going. But hemoglobin interacts with other kinds of oxygen in the body. So nitric oxide is used by our blood vessels to control vasodilation and vasoconstrictions, so essentially to control how open or closed your blood vessels are, and so just putting hemoglobin in meant that the hemoglobin could interact with the nitric oxide and could tinker with vasodilation. That sounds bad, or at least that was what was claimed by a meta analysis that sort of changed the way the whole fields felt about these things. And so, for example, there's a product called Hemopure which was developed in the nineties and it's essentially a cow hemoglobin which has been purified, and now it's only used in compassionate use cases, like you absolutely need it to try to save someone's life. But there's some concern about it, you know, messing with vasodilation. But some doctors still use it, and in fact, there are doctors who argue that, like, look, this isn't actually a massive problem because people are only using this for like a day or two before their body can start making enough red blood cells to replace them. This isn't a real long term problem. We're overreacting. But the field has essentially decided that this pure hemoglobin route is not the best way to go.
Speaker 3: So what do you do.
Speaker 1: So there's a new company called Erythromyre and they're making a red blood cell analog. So essentially what they do is they get hemoglobin. In this case, they are extracting hemoglobin from blood that has been donated but is now past its shelf life. So if that blood doesn't get given to someone in time they take it, they remove the red blood cell outer part, they extract the hemoglobin, and then they put the hemoglobin in a lipid layer that they have made, so they essentially like enclose it in a tiny, fatty capsule. It's smaller than a usual red blood cell, but it keeps the hemoglobin from interacting with the nitric oxide and messing with the vasodilation stuff. And this is actually a really clever molecule. So it's pH sensitive, which is important. So when it goes to the lungs and you have high pH, it allows oxygen to bind to the hemoglobin, and then when you get to the parts of your body that are in need of oxygen, that ends up being a low pH environment and the hemoglobin can let go of the oxygen and the oxygen can go oxygenate your other cells like it needs to, which is like kind of fascinating to me, like what a cool thing to have been able to figure out. And it's universal, so there's no compatibility problems. You don't have to type a patient beforehand. It's a freeze dried powder and so you mix it with saline, so you essentially get this like plastic bag that with the divider in the center, and you've got the like freeze dried eurythromyr on one side and saline on the other side, which is like salt water that's the same sort of saltiness as our blood. And then you like break the divider between them, you mix the whole bag up, and now you've got red blood cells or you know, synthetic red blood cells that you're ready to give to a patient. And they're thinking this could be shelf stable for up to two years.
Speaker 2: And they've like tried this at works. It like actually carries the oxygen the way that you need.
Speaker 1: They have done experiments on animals and it seems to be doing well in the animals, and it seems like they're lipid case for the hema globin gets you know, processed by the digestive system the way you would expect it to and you sort of pee it out when you're done with it. And so the animal studies so far have been promising. And a lead guy on the project is doctor Doctor, and so I feel like we have to trust that this is being done well.
Speaker 2: Like his last name is doctor and he's the title of doctor.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right, yes, And.
Speaker 2: If he was at a German university, he could be like doctor, professor, doctor doctor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, amazing, we should move him to Germany.
Speaker 2: So I'm really surprised that you can replace red blood cells with something so simple, like, aren't red blood cells complicated? Aren't they doing something else? Is there anything else that red blood cells aren't doing that we're not capturing with just hemoglobin in a fatty drop.
Speaker 1: Probably, but you really just need to keep someone alive for like the again, for the time that it makes for their bone marrow to make their own red blood cells. And so this is definitely just a short term solution to keep your heart kicking so that you have time to, you know, do the recovery on your own.
Speaker 2: This seems kind of amazing. Is this something you think we're going to see in hospitals and trauma centers?
Speaker 1: I think they're going to be starting experiments in humans in the not too distant future, so it's possible we'll see this. But this is really hard because like, who do you decide to give it to first? It's going to be tough to design the human trials because we know that red blood cells donated from a human work, and so figuring out the first person who you're going to be like, oh.
Speaker 3: No, you're in it. This is a trauma situation.
Speaker 1: You might die, but we're going to give you this experimental thing, even though we could give you this other thing that we know would work. You know, that's a little bit difficult, and so I'm sure they're going to have a little bit of trouble designing and finding the right population to try this on.
Speaker 2: You can imagine the compassionate use. You could give this to trauma centers and then when they are in a situation where they just don't have blood and somebody's going to die, they're like, all right, well let's dip into the fake stuff.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, yep.
Speaker 1: Or you could send it to folks who are out at the front lines in a war and they might not be able to to blood type someone or something like that, so they can't tell and they might not be able to get blood donations. And so yes, you absolutely can't imagine situations where having this on hand as a backup could get you the data.
Speaker 3: That you need.
Speaker 2: All right, and what about the rest of the blood, what about synthetic platelets?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so doctor Ashley Brown's lab at North Carolina State University has a platelet like particle that is an animal testing right now, and the animal tests have gone pretty well. So essentially what they did was they've got this like very tiny nanoparticle that they made and it's like a tiny microgel, so it's sort of soft and squishy, and they've attached to it a protein that binds with this thing called fibrin. So when your body starts to make a clot, fibrin is a protein that's used to sort of get that clot sticking together, and so essentially your body starts dealing with the wound and then you're putting this stuff in there, which is going to bind with the fibrin that's already in the clot, and it's going to move the clotting process along more quickly. So it essentially finds where clots are forming by having this antibody that binds with something you find in clots, or at least that's my understanding. And so they did it in mice and pigs and things went well. They said that they might be a few years before human trials, and there's things that they want to do, like get clumping to work a little bit better. And this is definitely not like, oh hey, we have created platelets again, and everything that platelets do we're able to do with the synthetic product. But it could be a really good measure for like again, you know, there's a trauma situation. You just got to get somebody to the point where their body can recover and take over this work on its own. And so anyway, so the take home, Anthony wanted to know how close are we and the answer is that we've got synthetic blood components that are being tested in non human animals, and the current designs would be universal if they work out. But we're mostly in the trial phase, and so we're still relying on blood from human donors more than anything else. There are some other products on the market that we didn't talk about, but sort of in general, at the moment, we are mostly relying on human donors. And I'm sorry for all the vampires out there. Still have some work left to do. True blood is not ready yet.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad you made a vampire joke, because I feel bad I fell down on the opportunity to make a were wolf joke in the moon question, you know.
Speaker 1: I know, so, Oh my gosh, Daniel we could have had zombies and werewolves and you know what, let's let's start recording again.
Speaker 3: We're going to do this again.
Speaker 2: All right. Well, that's exciting, and I'm also sort of surprised. You're sort of like optimistic and upbeat about this. This seems like great news. Have you spent some time in California recently? What's going on now?
Speaker 1: I'm surprised too. You know, I didn't get enough sleep and you know the all right here, let's go ahead and we'll do the Kelly treatment a.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It should be worth noting that we have tried things in the past that have not stuck. So for example, you know that the straight up hemoglobin without a like lipid layer, you know, we was tried and we ended up deciding this is not really the solution for us. So it's possible that will happen with these other things that we talked about today too. So there's the Kelly treatments, all right.
Speaker 2: A little bit of cold water. But yeah, on the whole, this seems very promising.
Speaker 3: Yeah it does. It doesn't.
Speaker 1: So I am really looking forward to when the vampires can come out of hiding and we can start dating them.
Speaker 2: Yay.
Speaker 1: Science that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: All right. Well let's see what Anthony thinks about our answer on synthetic blood.
Speaker 4: Daniel and Kelly, as usual, you guys knocked it out the park. I appreciate your answers. I learned a great deal. I was particularly interested in this because I have relatives whose religious convictions would prevent them from accepting blood transfusions. Perhaps, as this science develops, they'll have another choice, or an alternate decision that can save their lives. Possibly. I appreciate your answers, love your podcast.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, Okay, thank you everybody for these wonderful questions. We love hearing from you. Please do write to us two questions at Daniel and Kelly dot org. We say we will write back to everybody, and we really really mean it. We want to hear from you so that you can hear from us.
Speaker 3: We look forward to hearing from you. Have a good one.
Speaker 1: Daniel and Kelly's Extraordinary Universe is produced by iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: We would love to hear from you.
Speaker 2: We really would. We want to know what questions you have about this Extraordinary Universe.
Speaker 1: We want to know your thoughts on recent shows, suggestions for future shows.
Speaker 3: If you contact us, we will get back to you.
Speaker 2: We really mean it. We answer every message. Email us at questions at danieland Kelly.
Speaker 1: Dot org, or you can find us on social media. We have accounts on x, Instagram, Blue Sky and on all of those platforms.
Speaker 3: You can find us at d and Kuniverse.
Speaker 2: Don't be shy, write to us