Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Recent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome home.
Speaker 3: Y'all.
Speaker 1: This is episode forty one of Native Land Pod, where we give it to you straight, no chaser, and break down all things politics and culture. I am joined by my beautiful and lovely co hosts Angela and Andrew Gillum, and I am, of course Tiffany Cross.
Speaker 4: What's going on, guys, Andrews sound like I don't know why, trugar. I was trying to make it a little nicer.
Speaker 5: You guys, Hey, if your waist is around your neck.
Speaker 4: Anyway, thank you.
Speaker 5: You look cute. Good, you look very cute in the pocket.
Speaker 6: So I had to wear this because it's getting colder, and I didn't wear it at the DNC because it was a little too casual. And I have to look hip hop today. It's breaking news. But I'm going to be doing something for BT Hip Hop Awards.
Speaker 4: Oh nice.
Speaker 7: I didn't even know BT awards.
Speaker 4: Hip popper works.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, BT employees, I know. And I didn't know that the vm as were still a thing. And then I saw it and there was like news out of the vm A.
Speaker 6: So now she actually I was gonna say, she my aar p U out of this, like, I don't know what.
Speaker 4: You keep going? Can't do it on the wards?
Speaker 5: Bad?
Speaker 7: I didn't know. I didn't know.
Speaker 1: Can we can I do something a little bit because I want to make sure, uh that we get to everybody's question. I would like to like get into the viewer questions right away to kick off the show with that.
Speaker 7: What do y'all think? Okay?
Speaker 5: I like tell the people what they're looking for though it.
Speaker 1: Was a question about like do people listen to what we say? I think we should kick it off with that one.
Speaker 4: So we do. Can we do that after we talk about CBC real quick?
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I'm sorry, yes, okay, because the last time y'all heard from US was CBC so false alarm.
Speaker 5: Congressional Black Caucus.
Speaker 1: Yes, the Congressional Black CLOCKUS Foundations annual legislative conference, which takes place in DC every year. It's one of the premiere black for instance that happens in the country. And we had a fab time. Angela. So many people love your dress. It was very uh, I don't know, it looked very African to me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was it, And of course you would put me on the spot to be able to name this designer. Her first name is Rosie. I believe it's ostline designer's last name. I'm going to fact check myself really quickly. But in the meantime, you know what else is important about that?
Speaker 1: I know I started with fashion, but that's probably not what you guys wanted to reflect.
Speaker 4: A S S O U L I N.
Speaker 6: And I was dressed by uh one of our favorites, which is all right, Fashion Library.
Speaker 4: We love alright, we do.
Speaker 6: And that's all the plug we're doing until you guys give us a deeper disturm.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 1: Now not Cliff Albright with black voters matter? All right, Fashion Library?
Speaker 4: Is this please?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know the Fashion Library.
Speaker 1: Andrew, you look Gandrew in your suit because you clearly want some attention to tell us you look you.
Speaker 5: Look good at O mushirt.
Speaker 4: He wants to change the laws.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And speaking of the collective, we had Stephanie Brown, James and Quinton James on the podcast. If you guys haven't take in yet, we are thrilled to have been joined by so many of our friends I feel like every year ALC is a big family reunion. You get to catch up with some folks you haven't seen all year, some folks who'll only come in town for that time of the year. Let me tell you what set us apart. When we were at the DNC. There were a lot of other media outlets there. There were a lot of folks taking the stage, other podcasts. We were the only and the premiere and the exclusive show right before the Phoenix Awards dinner, which I believe you guys are gonna end up making history for two reasons. One is I believe that will be Joe Biden's last public appearance in a speech format to a large audience before this election.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 6: I believe also that that will be one of the final moments. Well, the last time Kamala Harrison goes before the CBC Foundation as a vice president. I think the next time she comes, she will be the President of the United States of America. The CBC Foundation Phoenix to Ward's Dinner is a big, big deal in black politics, and we wanted to make sure you all got a front row seat of that experience. We spoke to everyone from Congressman Jasmin Crockett to Fannie Willis, who of course we talked quite a bit about on this podcast. She was fantastic. We talked to Congressmoman Joyce Beaty, the chairperson of the Foundation, Terry Sewell, so many folks. And I got to do that side by side with my sister and my brother and we were looking fly.
Speaker 4: It was different.
Speaker 6: We weren't in our dinim, in our well Tiveleby in green or red or orange or pink or red. She will not be in dina most days, but that day we was fly.
Speaker 1: I'm hav gonna wear my denim body top body suit that I didn't get to wear a n she says, she is going to wear an I don't have venom, I don't have denim.
Speaker 5: You can do what I did, friend, I just went on line.
Speaker 6: You know, I've gone Guys, I would like to be the stylist of the Dinim.
Speaker 4: I'm good at picking out clothes.
Speaker 1: I sent you something on Instagram for you to get and you were like get it. I'm like, girl, this is a cute offer for you. But you were talking about the Phoenix Awards dinner. I can we play the clip? We were all called a few minutes ago and Vice President Harris President elect Harris, I say she spoke at the Phoenix Wars dinner as Angela was just saying every year that the president comes and speaks uh to the dinner when it's a democratic president, obviously, I don't think Trump has ever addressed I.
Speaker 4: Don't think Trump even knows what the CBC is.
Speaker 7: He doesn't, he doesn't. Can you imagine if he walked on that stage.
Speaker 4: I don't think it would be everybody will walk out. It won't even would be for me.
Speaker 6: It'd be like Biden actually won the Lifetime Achievement Award at this dinner as well, which is.
Speaker 4: Why that Yeah, okay, let's play. Let's just let's play.
Speaker 7: You know, Andrew was an institutionalist, like.
Speaker 4: No matter who you know, Okay, which Poetus this one, but you let's.
Speaker 1: Talk about that on the other side, because I want to see this beautiful clip your Vice President Kamala Harris.
Speaker 7: Let's roll the tape.
Speaker 5: Nick.
Speaker 4: Let me just say about Joe Biden. I have.
Speaker 6: Hello to all my divine nine brothers and sisters.
Speaker 4: And my soul on.
Speaker 6: And to all my HB brothers and sisters.
Speaker 7: I love that moment.
Speaker 5: I love It brought her into the room differently, right, like she sort of that laugh kind of She's like, yeah, they are here, they ain't here.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: They literally started skiw weedon so loud, like she was like, y'all can have a seat.
Speaker 4: They were like after this message. I mean, it was so cool.
Speaker 6: Speaking of messages, Andrew, what I'll be talking about today?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I tell you one thing. We've been on the road a bit, but while we've been going, it's been happening in Florida. I just want to bring to everybody's attention, for those who have not yet heard, how the quote state of Free Florida is doing under an authoritarian want to be dictator. More to come, Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Oh you want to go, tell us what you want to talk about any We're not bad, Nope, okay. I want to talk about something that I brought up before over this summer when the a lot of GOP governors were basically saying f those kids and not trying to feed kids during the school year. I want to talk about two key pieces of policy that keep coming up on the campaign trail, and that is childcare in school lunch, and I just want to walk people through what that policy looks like and prove that the GOP does not care about children.
Speaker 5: Not ones day born.
Speaker 6: You know this, this podcast actually should be called I Believe the Children are our future question mark because on that same right, I believe on that same point that Tiff was just razy. And what you just raised about abortion, Andrew, there's a whole other issue in the Senate. Republicans can't figure out if they are pro choice, pro life, pro mess they're voting against IVF.
Speaker 4: We're going to talk about that as well as.
Speaker 6: Some shady ish that surprise or not, Sarah Huckabee Sanders had to say about our dear Madam Vice President.
Speaker 1: Kara Lugbee Sanders was the former White House Press Secretary who was terrible at that job, if I say so myself. And now she is the Republican governor of Arkansas and there was a black man running against her, and I had high hopes for it. And you know this goes to my point about the South is read until it ain't. I want somebody to unseat Sarah Huckabee Sanders whenever it is.
Speaker 4: She's the perfect example of failing upwards.
Speaker 6: She has the last name of her father, who also failed upwards and she continues to fail up.
Speaker 4: Andrew, I can't imagine how frustrate that is that he said.
Speaker 5: Well, I know it's the truth is all of us know this well, our listeners know it well, you know it well. It's if you got it well, where we I mean heck, Michelle Obama put it perfectly. When we are confronting the mountain, the mountain in our lives, we don't have an escalator to take us to the top. All right, we got to climb that thing.
Speaker 4: Escalator broke as hell. Hell, ship didn't exist for me for most of them with ankleweight. Wait. Wait the rough side of.
Speaker 9: The side.
Speaker 4: And you know.
Speaker 5: I hope you're doing a man?
Speaker 4: Amen?
Speaker 7: Amen?
Speaker 4: Wait not Andrew still breaching.
Speaker 6: Okay, so efficiently told them what I was about to say.
Speaker 1: Who's going first? But can we do the newer question now or you we want to do a Yeah, I want to.
Speaker 6: Make sure we sufficiently covered all the topics before we get cussed out.
Speaker 4: We're not recording by it confront.
Speaker 5: For you that we have not because we like to talk about lots of stuff, so well, no to come up. This is the agenda stuff. So let's get let's see.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, good question.
Speaker 7: The viewer question that we were trying to get to. Let's hear it.
Speaker 10: What's up Native Land. This is Craig Night again from the sixty Curious podcast. First, I just want to give you guys props for a job well done at the d n C. And here's my question. I was thinking about your analysis and your commentary on all things Kamala Harris as far as her campaign is concerned, and a lot of those things that you say, especially regarding like how she handles interviews and what she should say in the debate. I mean, all those things make a lot of sense to me. So being that you guys have more of a direct line to those figures in politics, with all of your experience, would it be naive of me to think that some of those things might be getting through. And that's my question, Mike. As a loyal listener, it would be really comforting to me to know that some of the things that you say on your show would actually get through to these candidates and they might actually fashion or craft their their their strategies according to some of the things that you got said. Because I think that it's very valuable.
Speaker 7: I love that question. I love it.
Speaker 1: I have thoughts on that, but please say, oh, Angela, you can tell me your thoughts.
Speaker 6: I can wait because I'm just gonna start name dropping. It's not it's not it's not gonna be negative.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, well I'll answer Andrew you I will answer.
Speaker 6: People get to see it, though, because they're like, leave and touch, andrewes and he frong, he leave, he rabbit, he bounced, he kangaroo, he hops, he be swaying all the time.
Speaker 4: Air, off air camera, off camera on.
Speaker 7: Andrew.
Speaker 5: One of his questions from.
Speaker 4: Let him know what it really was, because you ain't.
Speaker 6: What you're not about to do is act like we'd be going, He'll be shooting.
Speaker 4: Shoot.
Speaker 1: That is man's question. I want to say a couple of things. One, I appreciate the question because I would say yes, there are certainly people I can say definitively yes, there are certain people in the administration who listen to this podcast on the campaign, who listened to this podcast routinely, the devil trying to keep me quiet.
Speaker 5: Not today saying today, drink your water.
Speaker 1: Yes, probably, I just got this flight my throat dry. The other thing I want to say, this could be This could be why they try to keep me quiet because the other thing I want to say, there is a misunderstanding. I'll say, a misconception that a lot of people are watching cable certain cable news shows in the morning. And that is why some people have disclaimed the fame because you think, oh, this big branded platform and this cable news platform, they must be getting millions of viewers every day, and.
Speaker 7: That is not true.
Speaker 1: Some of these shows are getting five hundred thousand viewers, three hundred thousand viewers, which is not a lot cable news. You know, the primetime shows are in the millions, right, but they're claimed to fame as Oh, because the administration listens to us, they tune in well as the administration changes, As demographics of the country and the administration changes, they're going to start listening to other people. So I would say for a lot of folks who you know, spend spend resources in these shows, they're going to have to rethink their entire platforms. And I look forward to that day coming and a lot of people express viewpoints that sometimes run contrary to the rising majority of this country. So I look for when that space is disrupted. Lastly, I'll close with this. I just want to be clear that the three of us do very different things, and so I have so much respect for what Andrew and Angela do. You know, like Andrew was a policy maker, you know, as an elected official, Angela worked in policy. So there are times where Angela has like great advice for the campaign, great campaign strategy, great policy points. As a journalist, I'm not really here to say, here's the policy that the administration should should do, but I do want to make sure that you our audience understands what that policy is and how it impacts you, what the GOP is pushing and how it might impact you. So I am not necessarily here to say, hey, Vice President Harris, here's how you should perform in the debate. But I do like to weigh in on what my brother and my sister are saying, like, oh, that is a good idea. I like it, but that's just not my skills. That if I happen to say something that that resonates, great, but it's not. It's not necessarily my agenda. But I do appreciate sharing the platform with folks who are better at that kind of thing than I am.
Speaker 6: I just want to fact check tip really quick here. Yeah, so actually, yeah, canyons, that is what y'all should do. No, but but but I believe that that's not what you're trying to do now. But also, Tiff has worked on a political campaign and advised the candidate and prepped him for a debate next month.
Speaker 7: Who ran from ayor Baltimore?
Speaker 6: Yes, thank you for helping the fact check yourself as well. She has worked in policy as well. She worked for any A as well.
Speaker 1: Can I just say what I did? I did outreach and community of color. I want to advocate someone for debating.
Speaker 6: Also, are a great political strategist, and she also has brilliant ideas in multiple fields, not just in media.
Speaker 4: So now that that fact check was.
Speaker 1: Fishing for compliments, and I got it, and it works so well.
Speaker 6: And honestly, these weren't even compliments. It's just like, yeah, I'm not gonna let you lie to me today. To the listeners, I took it as a compliment. Yes, okay, compliments this we love you do we get hurts. I wonder when they show up, you think so, no, okay, but they just know that the love is through the screen. However, what I want to say here is this I do. And I want to clarify this. From the very beginning, people went in on us at the very beginning like we were going to become.
Speaker 4: I don't know who they were, but like from the.
Speaker 5: Beginning were the grievance people.
Speaker 4: Oh we were, Okay, I didn't.
Speaker 6: I didn't hear that particular terminology, and maybe I did and I forgot.
Speaker 4: Y'all know how my memory set up. It ain't good. But here's the thing.
Speaker 6: What was interesting to me is there were a lot of folks who are like, you just mad as you never even.
Speaker 4: Been to the White House.
Speaker 7: That's dumb.
Speaker 4: You just mad as You've never been invited to the White House.
Speaker 6: Uh, you just mad as you never talked to her? Like off, this is somebody who literally called us to say congratulations when we launched a podcast talking about Kamala Harris. And so I'm just like, yeah, that's not really it. So what we do have are not just a direct line to her, but also to the team around President Biden, also to the team around MVP Harris. We have direct lines on the political side, the policy front, the com side, and we talk to these folks regularly. And if we're as for advice we offer it. We have offered advice. We've offered advice about doing interviews, We've offered advice about campaign tactics, We've offered advice at nauseum. I am happy, y'all because I'm starting to see some of the things that we've suggested on this show and off the show implemented.
Speaker 4: I think it's great she is going to be.
Speaker 6: Doing shows with people who are not necessarily friendly to her campaign. I think that's great. That is what she needs to grow her base. This is a place where tif Andrew and I fight often. She needs to grow our base, and I think that she's got the opportunity to do that. So that's my short answer, because I had to share my time with fact check and tiff I can't believe a resident journalist tried to get on here and tell a story actually Tiffany in nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 5: But the other thing is is that you can answer this Craig for yourself, which is you do your own potting. You influence people. I have to imagine that in the stream of thought and conversation, that may be some things that you hear us banter back and forth about, or debate about may have shaped some of your own thinking. So I mean, I think the biggest and highest recommender for the show is the fact that if you're on the listening side of this, just know that you're in good company with people who have abilities to make change and shifts at every level of policy and government. But also you are in company with people who are just curious about what they may not know and spend a lot of time with from day to day, week to week, and this gets to be their little short dosage of it, you know, weekend and we out, we hope, but we also want to recruit and attract more people, so continue to spread the word. Let folks know what this is and what a special experience it is. I know it's specially for the three of us. I know it because I feel it and we communicate about it. But it's made that much, you know, much greater when we're in airports and at restaurants and at conventions and y'all come up like we didn't been found, you know, forever, and we haven't personally met up because the environment is one of family. We are family. So thanks for the question, man, and good luck on the poden.
Speaker 7: Sometimes people don't even say hi. They just shout out welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 6: Know what, and it ain't gonna be no home if we actually don't take this break. Hopefully on the other side of that test, we can get into why you said the Republicans is talking about ft and key.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, love it okay.
Speaker 11: One of the things that we can do is make it easier for family models to choose, or for families to choose whatever model they want.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 11: So, one of the ways that you might be able to relieve a little bit of pressure on people who are paying so much for daycare is make it so that that you know, maybe like grandma and grandpa wants to help out a little bit more, or maybe there's an ant or uncle that wants to help out a little bit more. If that happens, you relieve some of the pressure on all the resources that we're spending the daycare. Now you talk about just daycare, let's say you don't have somebody who can provide that extra set of hands. What we've got to do is actually empower people to get trained in the skills that they need for the.
Speaker 5: Twenty first century.
Speaker 11: We've got a lot of people who love kids, who would love to take care of kids, but they can't either because they don't have access to the education that they need, or maybe more importantly, because the state government says you're not allowed to take care of children unless you have some ridiculous certification that has nothing to do nothing to do with taking care of kids. So empower people to get the skills they need. Don't force every early childcare specialist to go and get a six year college degree where they've got a whole lot of debt, and Americans are much poor because they're paying out the wazoo for daycare. Empower working families, Empower people who want to do these things for a living, and that's what we've got to do.
Speaker 5: So one, we don't care for days, we care for children.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Two, this man's talking about six years of degrees. I don't know where that exists, but it probably wasn't evident for him. But you do realize that brain development, over the course of human life, ninety percent of it is developed between the ages of zero and five. Zero and five, our children are running. The word gap of thirty thousand words which exist at kindergarten exists because of the kids who are I guess going with you talking about today care where they care for the days over the children, versus those who go to childcare centers and early learning development centers where they are learning being taught frankly social emotional skills that will them not to for instance. I don't know do any of the issue you do from them in day out, but I know you probably had a different aim on that tip. I just everything he said triggered me as a father of three children who was highly selective about where my kids went during the day in that early period. But this is why we can't have good things because people like him are sitting in the US Senate and wants to be the US Vice president probably president, who doesn't understand the critical years of early learning and child development.
Speaker 1: Well, let me just talk through the policy, because that's a good point that you made as a father, and we all know because angel neither Angela and I have kids, so we have no right to vote, or no investment in the country or no right.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, that's right, you got right exactly.
Speaker 1: But I think it's clear you know that jd Vance is a jackass and a dumb ass. But I want to point out what he said. This just doesn't make sense, and this is a huge issue on the campaign troll and there's a good reason why because nearly twenty three million children under the age of five to Andrew's just point, we're in their development of years, live in households where both parents work. So seventy one percent of households which both parents work, more than half of all children, particularly those of low and middle income. This is predominantly Latino and Black children live in a childcare desert, and that's defined as an area where there are too few licensed slots for the number of children who need care. So jd Vance's solution is to first of all, presume that there is a grandparent who can help out, or presume that it's a grandparent who the grandparent might actually be raising the kid, so there is literally nobody else, and then if you can't do that to lower the standard of childcare. The other issue is the crunch got worse last fall as twenty four billion dollars in pandemic era funding for childcare expired. This was another GOP move. Foldcare is a sixty billion dollar industry, and so the annual cost of caring for a single child, depending on the type the provider type the age in the county. It can require up to twenty percent of a family's income, which is obviously a huge problem.
Speaker 7: And so when you.
Speaker 1: Talk about this party that claims to care for children, I have to say they do not care for children. Not only do they not care for child care, they also do not care if these children eat. I want to play a SoundBite from a state senator out of Minnesota, and this is relevant because of course this is Vice President elect Walls's negative woods.
Speaker 7: Take a listen, mister president.
Speaker 2: I have yet to meet a person in Minnesota that is hungry yet today. I have yet to meet a person in Minnesota that says they don't have access to enough food t eat. Now I should say that hunger is a relative term, mister President. You know, I had a Cereal bar for breakfast. I guess I'm hungry. Now. That to some might be the Maybe that's the definition of the bill. I don't know. I didn't see a definition of hunger in the bill, mister president, but I think most reasonable people suggest hunger means you don't have enough to eat in order to provide for metabolism and growth.
Speaker 5: All right, just play stupid on TV.
Speaker 1: No, these are heartless people. So again I think it's important to understand the numbers here. One, you cannot learn if you're a child and you're hungry. So there are teachers who keep apples on their desks bananas just because if a child comes in this classroom, you need sustenance in order to learn. In twenty twenty two, over thirty million students, that's over sixty percent of all public school students received a free year reduced lunch. When I was in school, I received a free year reduced lunch. The branch of government that handles this is the Department of Agriculture. The USDA administers the school lunch and nearly one hundred thousand public and nonprofit private schools participate in the program. Children living in poverty, so that includes not only children living in poverty, but foster care students, migrant educational programs they participate. The percentage of students receiving free or reduced lunch is often use how to measure policy around poverty in this country. How many families are actually living in poverty? Now, I want to say what poverty looks like, because that's a really important piece. Poverty is defined as of January twenty twenty three. The threshold is twenty nine thousand, nine hundred and sixty dollars a year. You can be denied a school lunch if you make fifty cents more than that.
Speaker 7: It doesn't matter. It's a hard cutoff.
Speaker 1: The individual poverty threshold is fourteen thousand, eight hundred and ninety one dollars. So you imagine if, first of all, what you can and cannot do with that money. If you are feeding a family afore making fifty thousand, make it sixty thousand twice, that you are having a hard time at the grocery store. The Census Bureau estimated in the latest census that nearly twelve percent, that's thirty eight million people lived at or below the poverty line. The higher percentages of those in poverty Latino, Black American, Indian, Alaskan Native Pacific Islander students. These are the students who disproportionately attended high poverty schools, who attended low poverty schools White students. So my point is, they don't care about you. They do not care about you in the womb, they do not care about you here on earth. So every time the news media plays these sound bites. These ridiculous soundbites from JD Vance. You heard Donald Trump's pumsleys stutter through a response on childcare that was nonsensical. I would love for them to follow up with the statistics and the data and who exactly is impacted by these policies. Every time they talk about being what they call pro life, which is really anti choice. Would love for them to talk specifically about the policy and how it impacts people. They do not care about children, They do not care about life.
Speaker 5: And by the way, they don't care about white poor children either, which are the majority of families who are receiving help from the government. They are care less, which means, you know, the saying I couldn't care less, That dude right there, he couldn't care less about what poverty looks like. He cannot conceptualize the fact that he said, I had a breakfast bar and I'm hungry, and no way correlates to the child whose last decent meal was Friday afternoon at school and won't have another one until breakfast on Monday morning when he gets back to school. That's what poverty in hunger looks like. And poor families all around the country, white black, brown and everything in the middle between in betwixt all right, So I and this is a policymaker, as is jd. Vance, And the best they can come up with on public policy for how it is that we one raise and educate our children is to lower the standards of educating them rather than I don't know, scholarship people into early childhood education learning degree programs, which are not six years, by the way, in many cases they're not any years. There's certifications for a lot of people, by the way, learn something. Schollege degrees are not required and nowhere near the majority of early learning centers. But what is required is care, love, tenderness, some skills so that you can impart upon kids so that they're ready for education. I mean, it's troubling to have to talk about this tip because you and I both have lived experiences that I think be goes really really close for comfort, and that's probably why I feel very pricked by this whole thing. It was my first concept of learning how poor I really was because the classes I was in it was with all white students and accelerated programming. But then I went to lunch and they type for it off to go sit under the tree. And I got in the lunch line and I looked around, and I saw that everybody in the lunch line was like me, looked like me. That was my introduction. And why the hell are we penalizing children for choices that they didn't get to make. They they didn't ask to be born into the families that they're in. They didn't ask for their parents to be paid much less than what they're worth, right, they didn't ask for any of that, and they didn't ask to be hungry.
Speaker 1: And some municipalities Andrew, they're actually these students are collecting debt. So they're literally getting a debt from the school system. They're being threatened that they can't graduate, that they can't get their grades because they owe a percentage of what they've been eating at lunch.
Speaker 5: An eight year old, can you get a meal?
Speaker 1: And then there can be little human interest stories on local news like, oh, this fourth grader raised seven thousand dollars to pay off the debt for her lunch room classmates, and we celebrate that, and it's like that is actually horrific that a child is doing more for her fellow students than this grown jackass. Jd Vance who was making these ridiculous policy recommended and that state senator who is heartless. Don't talk to me about being quote unquote pro life. You are not pro life. You don't give a damn about children. You give a damn about policy and control. And for everybody who votes for this ticket, shame on you. For every person who leaves comments and is out there talking about Trump's for the people and I'm going for Trump and their pro life and blah blah blah, all the awful things you all say. You ought to be embarrassed and shamed. We are pulling the hood off pun intended on these types of policies and how it impacts our communities no more.
Speaker 6: I would like to jump in here, please, especially because what we've spent some time talking about is the types of punishment that ensues after the child is born.
Speaker 4: One of the things.
Speaker 6: That they have argued that they are pushing is to protect the fetus more than anything else. And Kamala Harris had something to say on this. This add is called monster. Let's roll that.
Speaker 9: I've never slept a full night my high life. I was five years old when my stepfather abused me for the first time.
Speaker 12: I just felt like I was alone on a planet with a monster.
Speaker 9: I was twelve when he impregnated me. I just remember thinking, I have to get out of my skin.
Speaker 4: I can't be me right now, like this can't be it.
Speaker 12: I didn't know what to do. I was a child. I didn't know what it meant to be pregnant at all. But I had options. Because Donald Trump overturned Roe v.
Speaker 9: Wade, girls and women all over the country have lost the right to choose.
Speaker 5: Even for rape or incest.
Speaker 9: Donald Trump did this, He took away our freedom.
Speaker 6: I'm Kamala Harris, and I approved this message.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 6: I wanted to play that because I think too often in this reproductive justice debate, we have these conversations without any real context, without the anecdotes that matter. We talk about rape and incest, and most times progressive politicians are raising them on the floor, you know, in the House and Senate, in their in their states and their city council meetings on the House floor and the Senate in Congress, and I think it needs to be we need to put a face on it. So when you think about who they force to have children, and then they punish them once they arrive, and then the folks who have struggles with fertility, they want to punish more So, just yesterday, Senator Tammy Duckworth that introduced in June the Right to IVF Act IVF IS then Vitro Fertilization Act, so the Rights in Vitro Fertilization Act. And there were only two Republican Senators who voted in favor of this bill. Nine Republican Senate who are up for election this year, John Basso, Marshall Blackburn, Kevin Kramer.
Speaker 4: I'm naming these names.
Speaker 6: Ted Cruz, deb Fisher, Josh Holly, Pete, Ricketts, Rick Scott, and Roger Wicker all voted against. Jd Vance was too booked and busy trying to find family daycare or childcare that he didn't show up to vote. And I think that all of that is important, especially when we contextualize it with the fact that we're gonna force you, young twelve year old to have this child. Person who can't afford to have children. We're gonna penalize you for having the child that you can't afford, and we're not gonna give you any support in ensuring that you can raise this child that we.
Speaker 4: Forced you to have.
Speaker 6: And then don't have fertility problems, because if you have fertility problems, we're not gonna give you any medical care or attention for that. And then on top of that, when or if you can't have children, or God forbid, you choose not to have children, we gonna drag you for filth at a campaign rally, Let's roll this clip from Sarah Huckabee Sanders.
Speaker 13: And walk into a room like this where people cheer when you step onto the stage, and you might think for a second that you're kind of special. Then you go home and your kids remind you very quickly you're actually not.
Speaker 7: That big of a deal. So my kids keep me humble.
Speaker 13: Unfortunately, Kamala Harris doesn't have anything keeping her humble.
Speaker 7: Wow, I want to say some bad words.
Speaker 6: I really do, Tiff, And I think it's crazy because when I watched that the first time, I wasn't emotional, just angry now, like knowing my own IVF journey and what I've been through and to be childless and it's not by choice, it's just mean.
Speaker 4: It's just it's really mean. And I just wish that.
Speaker 6: When they go through this journey of what it means to birth people you know in this country how much of a struggle it is, how much of a blind eye they turn to black maternal health or maternal health period with the blind eye they turned to the kids. Tipulated out all the data, Andrew you laid out the data, the personal experience you and Tip's own connection as children to this issue. We have got to have a more holistic, nonpartisan approach to policy making for children and people who desire to have children. And you should not shame people who did not, who chose not, or who cannot have kids. That should not be the pathway. So I wanted to double down in all of that and make sure we have a holistic perspective on what that is like in this country and how they're using it as a campaign talking point to jab this woman who has literally sacrificed her life for this country at every level of state government and federal government.
Speaker 1: And speaking of sacrificing her life, I just want to point out that for Senator Tammy Duckwerts, he's a Democratic senator from Illinois, replaced Senator Barack Obama in the Senate. This is personal for her. She served this country, lost her limbs, so she's in a wheelchair, and that was the only way that she could conceive children with her husband is through IVF. If you ask some of these Republican Sanders what is IVF? Can you talk us through that they cannot do it? Then they've been reporters to ask them, and they literally have no idea that halfway. Tommy Tuberville, he was another person who could. He didn't even know what it was. I think it's kind of rich that Sarah Huckabe Sanders was in Flint, Michigan giving this talk, these insults where there are children still without clean drinking water. Where the fuck was your concern for those kids?
Speaker 7: Then?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry you guys. I'm just so disgusted by these people. I'm so tired of the media trying to We don't want to offend them, so let's give them airtime, and let's be careful how we make them feel. I don't give a shit how these people feel like. I want to say something to their face. I want to look at them in their face and tell them how awful they are, how subhuman they are, how they don't give a damn about kids, and I want them to know somebody sees you. The news media might play nice, but we see you, we know exactly who you are.
Speaker 5: And I'm the subtext of that stasium.
Speaker 1: Precisely, and the subtext of that I think it's, you know, brave of Angela to share her journey. But the subtext of that comment was this little black girl need to be humble when she walking around our white country. And we hear that shit too. And I hope I get the opportunity to share a stage or a space with Sarah Huggbee Sanders, because I would love to look her in her face and dare her to match me on her best day. Intellectually, she will fall short every time she give August.
Speaker 5: Teenthry was screaming in that once you get past, as Angela has already pointed out, just the mean you know, you know how you see some fights and then they just go to and you're like what that was just mean, that's not necessary, it's it's but guess what, As the book once said, cruelty is the point with these people, right as the point. There is no other point to it other than cruelty.
Speaker 6: And like she also by by intention did not pronounce her name right again, exactly, I.
Speaker 5: Don't even they're so below they're so below and I just I hate that in the state of Arkansas, where we are well represented as part of the population in that state, that that's who they have to look to as their.
Speaker 1: Damn governor Florida. Right, Yes, I want to talk about that. We got to take a quick break. But on the other side, I want to talk about that, and can we just talk really quick when we come back about this this quote unquote assassination attempt that they're talking about that.
Speaker 5: Didn't have to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's okay, maybe that might be a mini pod. But on the other side of this break, we're gonna get into it.
Speaker 5: Welcome back, y'all. We are mad. We were in the break and we're just talking about. Everybody's feeling very heated. And the reason why is because this is a but a lot of us, this is our real lives. How about that this is we like, this is our life's journey. My wife has been open about this, but for miscarriages, four miscarriages, every time anticipating this is gonna be the one that will work up until the point where you get to the point where I don't want to be pregnant anym I don't want to hurt pregnant. I don't just dis miss that part because this hurts too much. Right, So, this is our lives that they are out here being jocular about. They can make jokes about, come up with puns about miss us on the policy about because they're not really trying to solve real problems. And and Florida, Ronda Santis is the governor down here, y'all. I didn't choose them, but has taken this women's reproductive rights, you know, effort to hold new level. So already he and the Republican legislature have banned abortions in this state after six weeks. Shall I also say, I e. Most women don't know they're pregnant at six weeks unless you are intentionally anticipating and therefore you're checking the clock. But this is before six weeks, is before many women even know that they are pregnant, and has made it illegal in the state of Florida to pursue an abortion after set point. There is a constitutional amendment, a citizen's amendment that is being pushed by the smart people, well thinking people, actual people who live in the state and care about what happens here in Florida, who are pushing obviously to demolish this six week abortion ban and re establish basically row as part of the law of the land here in the state of Florida via the Florida Constitution. So the governor, well, I don't need to summarize. Let's hear the governor's thoughts about what this is.
Speaker 3: And let me just say this about Amendment four, because yes, you have had fraudulent stuff with the signatures. I think that's been verified to what extent we'll see. But the whole thing is built on fraud. If you read that amendment, they don't define any of the terms that are in the amendment. Not one definition is written into that amendment. But the reality is this whole thing is not what it seems. This is all built on deception, and they're running commercials that are just totally lie saying there's no exception, saying there's somehow just normal health care. First of all, if doctor says they can't provide health care, they're committing malpractice because there's nothing in Florida law that would say that. So you can't go and just try to have this whole thing be a big deception.
Speaker 5: His whole governorship is based on a big deception. And by the way, y'all, the terms that he wants to be defined are like trimester that people don't know when they go into the ballot box that this is what that. We aren't fools. They may have been foolish in electing you Randa Scantists, but we're not fools. In the state of Florida, what this all knowing, all encompassing governor has done is he has decided to go after to put the state police, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, on duty to go and visit the households of people who have signed this amendment signatures that were accepted as having been official, in verifiable signatures. He is sending law enforcement to their doorsteps to ask them if they signed this amendment, was there some fraud possibly going on. He showed up at one Floridian's house and was met with a relative, then tells that relative that they're looking for this other relative who might be being defrauded because his name appeared on a ballot initiative to repeal the six week abortion band in the state of Florida. That relative then gets the real relative on the phone that the person the man is actually looking for and that person then confirms, yeah, I was at a grocery store, I was at the parking lot, and not yeah I signed it, that's me. But what would have happened had they shown up at a household where this was not a place a supportive environment for this young man to have gone and signed a petition to say, X, Y, and Z. If your law enforcement, why wouldn't you be speaking to the person directly? Why are you spreading a business across and you have no idea what penalties could then ensue as a result of what it is you are doing, y'all. Let me make this plane. The supervisor of elections of the sixty seven counties in Florida are the ones who verify whether or not a signature is legit or not. At that stage, they then make a decision comparing that person's signature to the voter rolls to ensure that they are the same. If there's a question about whether they are the same or not, that petition is rejected. Doesn't even go to the state. So what they did is they took the petitions that came to the state, reached out to a couple of counties. May I add almost all of them Democratic counties and said send us thirty six thousand petitions that you think might be fraudulent, and that way we can invent they're investigating legitimized, validated signatures. The governor of the state of Florida says that the amendment is not real. People can can, can, can can be healthy and have healthy pregnancies. This is that and the third, I mean just bull Talk to Candy Miller in Georgia, the mother of three who had health conditions significant enough in her life. Thank you to the doctors who said, if you carry this pregnancy it could be so risky that you could be losing your life. What does she do? She decides not to go to future doctor's visits. She orders pills off the internet. She takes those pills, and as a result of not having flushed the complete pregnancy out contracted sepsis hospitalized and died. And a direct result of the legislation that this man's pushing and that Republicans are pushing all over the country, people are losing their LIVESNS woman is caring for three children, she is in heart, she'sless, she's not running away from anything. She's preserving her life so she can be there to raise her three goddamn kids.
Speaker 1: It's Crystal. I just want to say, it's Crystal Galloway, Crystal Galloy.
Speaker 7: I'm sure that's okay. I knew, I know what. I just want to.
Speaker 5: Make Galloway is also another Candy Miller is sorry, but it's all. The point is, guess what. There are names that we cannot call, faces we won't recognize who are going through this battle everywhere. You have made our environments, our lives more hostile. The governor Florida declares this the Free State of Florida. He's the Gestapo, he's an authoritarian wannabe. And it's important that we we call out people like Sarah Huckabee, Sanders and Ronda Santis because all these people have designs on higher office so they can take their shenanigans not just on the state level, but to the federal level. And we have to be on are for this, y'all the Republicans. I suggested that we call the episode this show this this isn't normal. I actually directly it was this shit ain't normal. Yeah, And it's important to say what's not normal because they're so out of pocket every day, every day that it's hard to sort of you know, what's up, what's down, what's in between? They have topsy turvyed what is normal? What is default? The reason why the word default exists is so that we don't have to explain it. Everybody experiences it. That's why it's the default condition. What is default? It's no longer default anymore. Yeah, it's whatever they are feeling and what they want to do at that moment, at that time, y'all. It's insane and Tiffany and answer, I know why y'all feel like we're going crazy. I know I feel it. I feel it, especially this week because of the trove, the trove of insult and not just that, but impact that what they're doing. Kamala Harris put it well, she said kids were going to school for picture day. Yeah, and because of a lie. Call it what it is, a lie by jd. Vance, the state's senator in Ohio and his running mate, trolling Chief Donald Trump. These kids had to be evacuated. And the stories get much worse, y'all. I know y'all have seen them. But this is what they're doing, this is what they want us to turn the country over to.
Speaker 1: Well, it gets much worse especially when it comes to black women. Black women in particular about three times more likely to die from pregnancy complications than white women. Andrew, I'm so so sorry for interrupting you with incorrect information, but I do want because I said Crystal Galloway and that's actually not accurate. There are countless stories of black women who have faced dire pregnancy related complications, and Crystal Anderson was one in Kansas. Crystal Galloway is in your neck of the woods in Florida, Christine Field in New York. Women in Texas and Louisiana have been denied treatment for life threatening up topic pregnancies. Pro Publica has identified numerous women who died after they couldn't access legal abortions and timely metal care, and pro Publica said even among the women they identify, there are most certainly others. These people are not pro life. We have to start the media has to stop calling them pro life. We have to stop calling them pro life. There is nothing pro life about any of this at.
Speaker 5: All of it.
Speaker 1: Angela, do how do you feel about I want you to weigh in here, but there is another viewer question, and I want to make sure that we get to it.
Speaker 7: So I do too.
Speaker 8: Okay, go for it, Hey, Native lend Pod. My name is Robin and I'm from Portland, Oregon. I'm one of your absolute biggest fans and allies. I share and elevate your content whenever I can. And I watched you every day of the DNC, and you guys were on point.
Speaker 5: I wanted to ask you a question.
Speaker 8: Why isn't the Kamala Harris Walt's team coming out with big ideas, big populous ideas that would help just the common person, Like the janitor sweeping up at the end of the night, stop in his tracks and say, hey, I want that. Some of my ideas are capping around healthcare, capping premium to no more than five percent of your monthly incomes, capping deductibles at three thousand.
Speaker 4: Out of pocket expenses at.
Speaker 8: Five thousand, and do this by creating a public option to make the Affordable Care Act really affordable.
Speaker 4: And then for.
Speaker 8: Voting rights, I think she should come out with something like We're going to pass the John Lewis Voting Rights Act for God's sakes and abolish the Electoral College and make DC a state.
Speaker 4: How about that?
Speaker 8: And then for the economy, maybe cap interest rates at four point five percent.
Speaker 4: Everybody would love that.
Speaker 8: Regulate utilities and give free solar panel to folks to reduce energy bills.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, I hope.
Speaker 8: You know how much I love you, and I will be watching everything you do.
Speaker 4: Bye, I thank you. I love that too.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: I want to say here without getting too much into it, because I think Andrew correctly charged like challenged me on this. I did an interview recently with a presidential candidate that I don't need to name. You know, we talked about wishless politics and what I think is fascinating about what Robin raised here are there There are some things that she raised that literally have been on agendas since the sixties when.
Speaker 4: Uh the Congressional Black Haukus was founded.
Speaker 6: Before they were actually founded, they sent over sixty one recommendations to President Nixon. Included in the recommendations to President Nixon were issues around healthcare and DC statehood, along with so many other things housing, home affordability, access for small and black businesses. All of these things in addition to that, in nineteen seventy two, so a year after their founding, there was the National Black Political Convention, where there was another Black Agenda.
Speaker 4: Those same things were on there.
Speaker 6: When you look at the Black Futures lab Agenda that was developed as a result of the Census, Black Senses twenty twenty and then Black Senses twenty twenty two, those things are parts of the agenda. When you go to KamalaHarris dot com and look at the platform they have rolled out, affordable healthcare is on there, Affordable home ownership is on there, childcare tax credits see I didn't say daycare Andrew is on there. Creating relief for small businesses because Kamala has talked about being raised by in addition to her mom, a small business owner in her community. There are a number of these things that are on here. Why didn't she say ban electoral college. I gotta believe it's because it will take a supermajority of Congress to do that or state conventions. We are going to actually talk about abolishing the electoral college on an upcoming minipod, but I will just say that we have to be mindful of I believe, like selling pipe dreams to people, I think you have to tell folks, this is my idea in a perfect world, this is what I want. These are the things that it would take to get here. You call your senator, you call your member of Congress to help me get there. But in order for us to get there, it's all hands on deck, especially in the face of a Supreme Court that will grant Donald Trump immunity but try to dismantle Obamacare, a Supreme Court that would eviscerate ro versus Wade through Dobbs, But at the same time, say Shelby versus Holder can eviscerate the voting rights at.
Speaker 5: So we can right to a company over a person.
Speaker 6: Yes, and also turn a blind eye to Claire's Thomas being fluid out like the ho. He is, so all of that or I'm sorry before I said, huci whoci's nicer?
Speaker 4: So now that's the thing. He's a ho. Okay, So that's the thing.
Speaker 6: Right, We have to be mindful of these things and how we get there. I want all the same things. I want a ceasefire. I want a free Palestine. I want them to stop fighting everywhere. I want America to stop spending money on nuclear weapons. I mean all of these things. Were talking about fifty five billion dollars on nuclear weapons and yet and still here we are needing some type of negotiation with the Congress that feels like it's being held hostage by a party that has no interest in actually evolving or advancing the people, but rather only fattening the pockets of their friends because that's the trust funds anyway, y'all see, No, I mean, I'm filibustering that.
Speaker 5: Takes slight difference, only in that difference. What's slight difference in the sense that we'd be different, of course, But you know, I'm just saying I would bam polite and that I think it is really important for institutions to be held accountable by folks who sit at these hell politics might call it extremes, but at the outer layers of creativity, the outer layers of possibility, the space of imagination. Remember my teacher telling me Andrew, you need to read more fiction because the real world is dragging you down. You know, I'm reading quotables on stories. You need more fiction. That's where innovation and creativity lie, right. And so the beauty of I think people who who like Robin and others who come with these ideas again that are bold and ferocious, is that if we can build a constituency that then demands that right. Remember the Tea Party. They weren't everybody, but they were a large enough group within the Republican Party to pull that whole goddamn party into hell right with them. And that's what they'd been until Trump.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: So I think we should demand those things, should fight for them. We absolutely should go out and vote for Kamala and and drag her and every Democrat we can to the furthest possibility of oh, the furthest extent of possibility that is possible, right that they and maybe even unimaginable where we sit today, free lum for every every kid zero to twelfth grade. That shouldn't be the concern whatever that is, whatever that is, because it may get us to a negotiating table that gets us a portion.
Speaker 6: Of And I want to just offer some clarity to this. I did not say that we can't have it. I said I want to be clear.
Speaker 5: No, you talked about the agenda where it's coming.
Speaker 4: Clear about how we get there.
Speaker 6: I brought up those other agendas because we've been asking for it for too long, but the demands have gone unanswered. I'm just saying make sure that in our ass like, we want this on a platform. Here's how we get here, so we manage expectations. People end up really disappointed because they didn't know that it took an Act of Congress, or that if you did do an executive action and the Supreme Court overturned it a la student loan debt, right, Like, if that can actually happen, if you do something bold and progressive, normally it gets undermined by the Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: I think that's so important the way you laid that out, Angelo, because a lot of people don't know. And I love that you were like, go to her website because her policy agenda is up there. But in terms and thank you Robin for tuning in and offering your question. I think they are introducing her ideas, yes, right, she has like ideas about it, and I think there are some big ideas. You know, the first time home buyer program that Vice President Harris introduced on the trail twenty five thousand dollars tax credits as a shortage of available homes to keep prices high. Under an economic plan that she outlined in August, she pitched tax breaks for home buyers who build starter homes and even those who rehabilitate older housing stock. I mean that helps with things like blight in the country.
Speaker 7: Those are big ideas.
Speaker 1: You talked about the tax credit, and I know that's a big thing for you, Andrew, but six thousand dollars ain't nothing to need.
Speaker 7: That for a lot of the.
Speaker 1: Taxes on tips being eliminated. Now, I will acknowledge this is an area where she and forty five agree. This was a policy that, yes, if this was something that he introduced, well, you'll correct me. But my understanding is he did introduce this, that he would eliminate tax on tips for workers. From everything I've read and from soundbites I've seen, my understanding was that he introduced that.
Speaker 4: She did as an idea, as.
Speaker 1: An idea, not as a policy, exactly something that he said on the trail out of pocket drug costs. She would cap that at two thousand dollars a year for everyone insulin pays. My mother is diabetic, insulent copays. She would cap it at thirty five dollars a month. That's a big idea healthcare. When she ran for president in twenty nineteen, she proposed a six month paid family medical leave. That's a very big idea. That is a very ambitious policy. The United States is a handful of nations who doesn't have that policy. A senator, she co sponsored the Medicaid for All bill, of course, Senator Bernie Sanders introduced that, but she supported it. She has not been touting that since becoming the nominee, but what she has said is that she's focused on expanding access to reproductive rights and lowering prescription drug costs. So that's something to consider. I do want to dis point out the National Party platform. I'm not a Democrat, but I vote with Democrats, but I'm not a talking head for the party. Just to be clear, but the DNC's platform supports Medicaid expansion and pushes Congress to allow millions to use coverage similar to Medicaid, even in states that haven't expanded the program. So, again to Angelo's point, some of these programs are a part of an agenda. They do exist somewhere, but it would take an act of Congress to an act them. And that's why those down ballot races matter, and that's why there is no such thing as an off election year. Is it time for another break?
Speaker 4: It's definitely time for a break, and hopefully we can break run onto a mini pod.
Speaker 1: But carry on, but we have one more question. Did we take all of your requests? Yeah, we do have another question.
Speaker 5: I say real quick before we get question. And that is big difference between the two plans is that Thomps Trumps system sets it up so that basically big corporations can get can reclassify their workers, pay nothing to them, and then get a rite off for those workers, allow their taxes to be sad, which is why commonly Compare compares it with minimum wage increase based minimum wage increase and no taxes on tips. And there's some other differences too, but I wanted at least get in one.
Speaker 7: No, I think that's important.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you did, and clarify for the people we keep saying they have the same. Okay, on the other side of this break, we'll take up your break.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 6: All right, everybody, welcome home again. We are almost to the close of our show. But before we go, you guys, I really would hope we would talk about it in this episode. Who shot you Donald Trump edition? And and what happened on his golf course or what didn't happen on the golf course. And and I also and I mean no jokes aside, it was a serious joke, you know, issue made it. The part that's a joke certainly is them blaming this ramp up rhetoric on Democrats and then the retort being why nobody shot at Joe Biden or Kamala Harris. I definitely want to get into that and talk about the dangers of rhetoric. We see it with the Haitian migrants. Some of the things they're experiencing is very clear that when they say something targeting a group of people, even our friends, even us, Tiff and Andrew, we know what the repercussions are of those words. There are there's violence and death threats on the other side of that. So I want to talk about that on the mini pod if they're mini pod. I was hoping so, because we already are dropped every Monday, and I don't know that people know that we actually do these mini pods. I mean a lot of y'all are watching, but I think some people say, I didn't even know it was about a minipods, So yeah, I love that for a minipod idea, so you'll be able to catch fat every Monday Pods.
Speaker 8: I love it.
Speaker 6: Well, that's very good. And then at the meantime we can have our little calls to action. Mine is going to be very self serving and it comes from my bias of working, working on, growing up working on, and growing up on Capitol Hill. I started the podcast with this, and I'm in with it because it's my most It's the most.
Speaker 4: Wonderful time of the year for me.
Speaker 6: Congrastial Black Hawcus Foundation Annual Legislative Conference. We were the pre show. Please make sure you tune in. We have some really, really, really dope interviews. I'm so proud of us and we were. We was cute too, so at least go back and check out them out. FATS the ol FATS.
Speaker 4: That's my call to action.
Speaker 6: Check out our CBCF podcast from this past Saturday.
Speaker 5: Mine Zz stay on the mike. Check out my boys book if you are looking for something to read and you want to know what you.
Speaker 4: Can do in front of your face. In front of your face, our good brother, Sean Pittman, shout out.
Speaker 5: That's son, Sean Pitman, who served as my finance chair, the first black person to be a finance chair for a goobernatorial campaign in the history of the state of Florida. We can't raise money to also raise the most the largest amount that any candidate running for governor's mate has raised. And he has written a book around how it is that you won come up with some strategies right where you are disaffected, disaffected as many of the many of us often are. So if you're looking for some ways to, I don't know, make this election really meaningful by finding some ideas that you can do and and bring into practice on your own where you are. Check it out, y'all. It's it's a great read, and let me know what you think.
Speaker 1: My ct A uh is I've probably given it before, but I'll give it again. Diversify your news diet. I have started watching.
Speaker 4: No No, No, but I watched.
Speaker 1: BBC News in the morning. I also watch something. It comes on PBS and it's NHK Newsline and it's really about news that impacts Asia. But they talk about like all kinds kind of things that you just don't hear in Western media. I also will watch Christian I'm impoor she has a show on People Yes, and I swear I find like I'm so much smarter when I'm not watching the echo chambers of our foolishness, and so we think so well, I feel more informed, I shouldn't say smarter. I feel more informed. I feel like, Wow, I had no idea because they talk about things that are happening here in America, but also things from a global perspective. But you also realize how what happens here in America has so much impact on the rest of the world. And that's why when you go to other countries, they can tell you who the Secretary of State was five administrations ago, because what happens here impacts them. So I encourage people tune out these morning shows that they got y'all convinced that millions of people tune into The Devil is a lie, They're not, so start Yeah, and even here, like tune into NLP every week. I feel like we break things down and keep it a buck with with everybody in a way that is just I think people are so hungry for We're so exhausted with pretending. And Andrew's point, this shit ain't normal, so let's stop treating it like it's normal, and let's have real, authentic conversation. And we do that here every week and until they start having real, authentic conversation. They don't deserve our dollars or our views. With the exception I got to say of our girl Joy Anne Reid, because Joy keeps it up but every night seven pm MSNBC. So definitely tune in the Joy. But outside of that, I'm searching. I'm thirsty for people saying something real on the screen.
Speaker 4: I don't know what you said that made me go. If it don't make dollars, it don't make sense. That's DJ quick y'all. Anyway, shout out to the West Coast, which is the best coast as we round our shit podcast.
Speaker 6: I mean, first of all, I'm not in the South. I'm actually in the dirt, dirty, in the dirty. But and Andrew didn't even come see me. He goes thirty five minutes point right away. Tiff left me early.
Speaker 4: Just you guys before we in the show.
Speaker 6: I want to remind everyone to leave us a review and subscribe to itative lamp pid.
Speaker 4: We're all available, excuse me, We're available on all.
Speaker 6: Platforms and we're all available. New episodes do drop every single Thursday. You can also follow us, and you should by now be following us on social media at Native lampid. We are Angela Rii, Tiffany Cross and Andrew Gillum.
Speaker 4: Welcome home, y'all. There are forty seven days.
Speaker 5: Only to around forty seven days us to a round, right are we going on seven?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yeah, we are going on tour.
Speaker 6: We're going on tour and we about to get fluid out and we'll tell you guys where next time.
Speaker 7: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 14: Thank you for joining the Natives, attention to what the info and all of the latest rock Gillim and Cross connected to the statements that.
Speaker 5: You leave on our socials.
Speaker 14: Thank you sincerely for the patients, reason for your choices clear so grateful took the to execute rods than for serve, definding, protect the truth and pat well.
Speaker 4: Welcome home to all of the natives.
Speaker 11: We thank you.
Speaker 4: Welcome.
Speaker 1: Native Land pod is the production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Recent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.