Speaker 1: I tell my kids all the time, you never have to work a day in your life if you love what you do. And I truly love what I do. Since I became a working actor, I've never had to go to work.
Speaker 2: If you are one of the many millions of people who watched the Netflix hit show House of Cards, you are familiar with Michael Kelly and his arresting performance as Doug Stamper. The prolific actor captivated audience in that role and many others Man in The Moon, changelingk Jack Ryan, and recently in the Lioness special ops on Paramount Plus. I've been watching it all night long in preparation for this particular interview, and I must say it is mind boggling good. Michael's joining me at my home in Bedford to talk about his acting career and the man behind the screen. Welcome to my podcast, Michael.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: It's so nice to have you here. Was a smiley guy. Is nothing like.
Speaker 3: The parts he plays.
Speaker 2: He's really friendly, and he's really handsome, and he's really athletic, and he's really fast moving and when you see him in some of his performances, you are scared to death. Now, do you ever play your parts in real life? Do you ever have to call off one of those actors?
Speaker 3: I wish, you know, I wish that I could.
Speaker 1: I guess Jack Ryan, I get to be a little bit closer to myself, right John, And we sort of had that happen over the course of the three seasons that I was in. But no, I always always, I always joked and I'm like, I have teeth, like you know, you wouldn't know it by watching me and all these shows, you know it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've tried going out with some actors in the past and their parts scare me, some of them, and most notably was the man who played Hannibal lecture, Is that right? And I couldn't. I couldn't get past the horrible lecture.
Speaker 3: That's a specifically tough one.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 3: You're like, I can't snuggle with you.
Speaker 2: So your newest show Lioness, But when you look it up, it's the Lioness Special Ops because there is another show called Lionis. It's very confusing.
Speaker 1: Well because season one we were Special Opps Lioness, and now for season two that we are currently filming, they've officially changed the name to Lioness.
Speaker 2: It's about a group of very tough female CIA agents and I'm telling you it's frightening. Are there really agents like those women out there?
Speaker 1: This is based on a real program. It is, it is, And when I read it, I couldn't believe it. I was I was like, you know, as an actor, you put yourself out there and there's cameras and then they say cut and you go home for the day. And these people are living a lie twenty four hours a day and if they mess up their lines, they die, yes.
Speaker 2: And they's made very clear constantly by the leaders in this lion This special ops that you're going to kill a whole lot more people if you fail in your operation.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Taylor Sheridan is the showrunner, and this series is typical of his shows, intense drama, lots of action, and a lot gory. I was gonna say a little gory. It's a lot gory that those first two episodes of season one are frightening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then the way it get by the end, you're just like, oh my god. You know, I think it's what Taylor does so well though, Right, Taylor Sheridan is he writes incredible drama that everyone can relate.
Speaker 2: To right, an incredible dialogue and incredible and gets incredible actors to be in these works of art. Really, because I love your part. You don't have a real big part, but does get bigger in the second Yes, yes it does.
Speaker 3: It does in the second season.
Speaker 2: And you're filming it now.
Speaker 1: We are currently filming and we're in Texas and Fort Worth. Fort Worth, so Taylor's got two or three hundred thousand acres. They're in Texas, the four Sixes ranch, and so I think some of it we filmed there. Some of it is on stages that were that were on there and in about Texas because this season, the thread comes out all of that are real, real, Like boy, I was just watching foot they were I was on set and one of the producers pulled me aside and said, oh my god, look at this. Look at this. Some of the footage we got The other day. I saw a helicopter fly at sixty miles an hour and come within a foot of the ground in a sweeping movie.
Speaker 3: And I was just like, oh my god, I can look like a Michael Bay movie. I was like, what do we making?
Speaker 2: These are not just stuntman, these are real professionals, the best of the best.
Speaker 4: Taylor gets the best of the best, the best horses, the best. Everything incredibly interesting. And and Nicole Kidman, Oh, what a surprise for It's so fantastic. And and you play who.
Speaker 3: I play the deputy director of the CIA.
Speaker 2: And tough all the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: In the second season, we go home with my character for the first time, which is very interesting. You go home with the women in the first season, and they had it a little bit for me this season. And it's interesting to see these men and women. And I think what Taota so well on the show is that you see them at home and then you see their life in the CIA, and how those two forces are constantly pulling against one another, and how difficult it is to be in these positions.
Speaker 2: Of and how it does affect the families. Of course, because Zoe's hold on her part. She plays the tough, she's like the leader of.
Speaker 1: The gang's and she's on the field she you know, she's a real she.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then the way she treats her underlings is pretty violent. Yeah, And that they have to take it is really amazing, and that they come to work. It's pretty are you amazing?
Speaker 1: Do you know that this is interesting? I don't know if you remember the woman Joe Wagner is the actress, and she's this beautiful actress but she plays a really tough special.
Speaker 3: Ops girl in one here.
Speaker 2: So what's her name?
Speaker 3: Joe Wagner?
Speaker 1: And if you google Joe Wagner, you'll look up a picture of him and be like, oh my, she's stunning, beautiful, flowing. She plays like she's like if you she jokes at all times.
Speaker 3: She's like, if you find me attractive, you're gay. Because this season she's got like so much muscles and short hair and we were laughing about it. But this show.
Speaker 1: Her husband is a special Ops guy. They were talking one night drinking wine and she said, tell me a cool story and he's like okay, and he tells her the story of the Lioness within this Cie and she's like, that is a fantastic for show. She's one of the producers called Taylor and was like, I have this idea for a show and he was like.
Speaker 3: I love it, Let's do it. And she's like wait really.
Speaker 2: And then and then how did Nicole Nicole get into it?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: She was very nic Cole plays she's serious.
Speaker 1: Very high up in the CIA, and the two of us our relationship, we've been together for a very long time. Nothing can break the bond that the two of us have. And so we were just talking two days ago. I was on sothern and we were talking about how we how much we're loving this relationship and how much we want to develop it over the next if we do another season, which hopefully we will, that that that bond between those two people, they've been together, they came up to the CIA together, and that can't be broken. And talking those words and Nicole Given, You're like, are you kidding?
Speaker 2: Given? And nicoles make her makeup is so unusual. She has a center part on her hair and it's pulled back in a little pony jail. She is so tough, so tough, and it's so good for her. It's so good. So if this conversation between me and my guest Michael doesn't cause you to go running to Paramount right now and watch this series, you're crazy, because it is really interesting. It might be a little bit gory for some of you, but stay through it because you learn about something that's going on in the world. And might be exaggerated a little bit, but I doubt.
Speaker 1: It, Yeah, to a certain extent. I mean, I think one of Taylor's goals with the show was to show the global theater of war, right, and it really does. It shows you that some of the things you see on television ponds being moved, it's all, it's all very caful.
Speaker 2: House of Cards was equally disturbing, yes, and if that's the right word, disturbing. And that went on for quite a long time. How many seasons was House of Cards?
Speaker 3: Six? Six years?
Speaker 2: Amazing seven years. I couldn't wait for the next episode. I mean, it was really the beginning of this kind genre of exciting television.
Speaker 1: It was the first one. It was first original streaming show.
Speaker 2: It was amazing. Back to the writer, Taylor, Taylor Sheridan, He's turned out hit show after hit show. Yellowstone. I love Yellowstone and that gets a little gory too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, and it's prequels the Mayor of Kingstown. What do you think makes the show sell so well and work so well.
Speaker 1: I think he knows how to tap into that level of drama that we all can identify with.
Speaker 3: You know, there's there's something very.
Speaker 1: That that human experience, the way that two people talk to one another.
Speaker 3: He just can write it.
Speaker 1: He can write it so well, and but you look at the I don't know how he does it. I don't know how one man is writing. I think we're six or seven hit shows right now, and they're all running consecutively.
Speaker 3: And I just saw and land Man with Billy Bob Thornton.
Speaker 2: How is that unreal?
Speaker 3: I just saw the first two episodes. I had a screening in Texas.
Speaker 2: It's not on yet. It's not on yet.
Speaker 3: I think it premieres in a month or land Man, land Man, and it is.
Speaker 2: And I loved and he hasn't been around for a while. I love crazy.
Speaker 3: We were talking for a while and he brought up a really good point.
Speaker 1: He said, I think that Los Angeles and New York, like most of Taylor shows, are like ah, but the rest of the country loves it. And I said, I don't know. I kind of disagree. Like I love Linus, I love Man. I've got a phenomenal you know, if you just sometimes we can be a little snobby in New York and Las.
Speaker 2: One of the best scenes so far is the scene where you and Nicole Kidman and Morgan Freeman and Zoey Soldanna in the situation room or wherever, wherever the room is. What is it like to be in a room with these actors behaving like the real politicians of today.
Speaker 3: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: The first time I went in the room with all of them, and then there's also Bruce McGill and Jenniferly and the first time I sat down at that table, I just it was one of those And I've worked with Jim Carrey to Clint Eastwood, I've worked with some of the best and the best, but I sat at that table and it was one of those moments where I was like, this is a.
Speaker 3: Pinch me moment.
Speaker 1: This is really I'm sitting next to Morgan Freeman, sitting next to God.
Speaker 2: And it was just like, good in it. He's the elder Statesman. Now, where the hell is he? We need you guys in the real situation. I mean, I think I think a bunch of you, including Taylor's Sheridan, should just move to Washington.
Speaker 3: You know it's funny, I hay Over, I tell you I.
Speaker 2: Got very young enough. All of you are young enough. How old is Taylor Sheridan?
Speaker 3: He's the same as me. I think right around fifty to fifty five.
Speaker 2: Where so why don't why don't you just take over the country.
Speaker 1: My wife would kill me because I told her, I said, I thought about moving back to Georgia and running.
Speaker 2: I'll come in and take care of all of you. I'll take care of the White House, and.
Speaker 3: You have a blast on the grounds there. Everyone's fired. I'm taking over. It's a mess.
Speaker 2: Have you been to the White House lately?
Speaker 3: It was the last time.
Speaker 2: The last time I was there when it was good, the Clintons were just kind of moving out, but it was still a beautiful house and then it changed. Yeah, and it really needs help. But it needs help inside and inside out.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, we can.
Speaker 2: Laugh about it, but I'm being very serious.
Speaker 1: I'm from Georgia, right, so I have friends on both sides of the aisle. I find myself in the middle pretty much, and I'm like the majority of the country's in the middle.
Speaker 2: I hope. So, I really truly, truly believe.
Speaker 1: So when you look at the small amount of people that actually vote, that's the problem.
Speaker 3: If everybody voted.
Speaker 2: We would be okay.
Speaker 3: We'd be okay.
Speaker 1: And because everyone pretty much feels the same way about everything, but all you hear about are the extremes on both sides, and that's the unfortunate part I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about Doug Stamper, because I think there's going to be I think, I think that show is going to come right back and we're going to be seeing more of more of you as Doug Stamper, right.
Speaker 1: I wish I think, you know, I think that was It was one of those ones that it changed my life. It changed my career. It was everything that I could have ever wished for. It was the greatest gift to be given that role as an actor. Unfortunately it went out the way it did. And I would say that that was Fincher, Lray Mayfield, the casting director, and Bo Willeman. The three of them made that because I auditioned for every role on the show. Yeah, except for Francis Senderwood, he was already cast. But I auditioned for Hammer Schmidt, the guy ran the paper. Then they brought me back and I read for Lucas the young newspaper reporter, and then I went back and read for Corey Stoll's role, who was a fellow who died in season one, and then I went to a callback with David Fincher and Laree Mayfield and it was like forty five minute work session. I'm just in heaven because I was like, oh my god, I'm working with David Fincher, you know. And he's like, do this, okay, do that, do this, do this this, and then at the end he goes, okay, I was for two roles. He said, I think you can play. I think, honestly, I think you could play anybody. But I want you to read for somebody else. And I'm like, who's left. In my head, I'm just thinking who's left. And he's like, he's like, i'll send you the sides and you can put it on tape. And I was like, oh, I'll do it now, and he was like, no, I promise you. I'm going to watch it. So I go home. They send me the size for Stamper. I put myself on tape. I went down to New Orleans to film now you see me.
Speaker 3: I loved that. Oh my god, so much fun.
Speaker 1: They had the callbacks for House of Cards and I couldn't go, and so they're like, don't worry, we're going to show your tape.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, I am worried. I know it's much better to be there in person.
Speaker 1: Anyways, long story short, they showed my tape and I remember my manager calling me. I was I'll never forget the window I was looking out. I'll never forget exactly where I was when my manager called and he said, she said, hey, Michael, I have Brian for you. Brian jumps on the phone and his dear old friend of mine, and he said, he goes and he just picks up and he's like, hey, Doug, what's up. And I was like, oh, sorry, b it's Michael. And he's like, oh, I'm sorry. I was looking for Doug Stamper and I was like and I just started crying. I was like, oh I got and he's like, it's yours, buddy.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my.
Speaker 2: God, we'll see. To go in with such enthusiasm shows that the part so well, because you were you were him, you were dog Samper.
Speaker 1: That was just it was so brilliantly written, that role, so so gritful.
Speaker 2: So what do you do to yourself to prepare for such a creepy character.
Speaker 1: Well, I had studied, funny enough, I had studied political science in college Prior to becoming an actor, I was studying political science. I wanted to be a lawyer, and that was my goal. I fell into acting and that changed everything. So I had a pretty good understanding of politics. But I got to tell you, when I started to get some of those early scripts, I was like, this is a little more difficult, nuanced than I, than I, than I than my wealth of knowledge. So I spent a good deal of time just really getting into politics. And by the time I left House of Cards, I was going to the hill and lobbying for seniors and meeting with people and like really being active in the political environment.
Speaker 3: And I grew to love it, loved it, loved it.
Speaker 2: Now playing CIA agents, politicians and military operaches, what have you learned about the political world? How do you do research for that? I mean, do you talk to actual editions? Yeah, and I've and I are they allowed to divulge? They are?
Speaker 1: We actually go to for for Jack Ryan, we actually go to the CIA and screen it for them when we finish the season to.
Speaker 2: Make sure that you're to say thank you because.
Speaker 1: They help you know, they're helpful, and they love it.
Speaker 3: They love it.
Speaker 2: And have you ever use any of them as as seconds or no, no.
Speaker 3: No, they're not gonna. I don't think they can get time off the I'm hanging with us on set. But it was interesting.
Speaker 2: People love it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Yeah they would because they really they they get a real kick out of the show, and you know, and they'll tell us when we get something wrong.
Speaker 3: Like in season one, James.
Speaker 1: Greer played incredibly why Wendell Pierce his phone goes off in the CIA and he picks up his cell phone. He's like hey, and the whole audience laughed, because you're not allowed to have your phone in the CIA, Like when you go to the CIA as a visitor or as some works, you leave it like you do, not go on campus with it. So they'll tell us when we get something wrong like that. But but other they're like it's pretty spot on and and we can when we go there for that visit, they say, they give us a few different topics and they're like, is there anything you want to talk about? And so we can collectively go, let's learn about this. And so we we sit in a room with eight ten people.
Speaker 2: The writer included, I mean because the race or the writer's amaze myself Wendell and then they will tell us I was very curious about the fentanyl problem in our country, and they bring in the foremost experts in those fields and they sit there and have an incredible conversation.
Speaker 1: Where You're just like, Oh, I can't believe what I'm learning here. This is incredible and terrifying the same time.
Speaker 2: Is it working with your neighbor John Krasinski the best.
Speaker 1: He's truly become one of my dearest friends. And I'm grateful to him because I wouldn't live here if it wasn't for him.
Speaker 2: His early parts did not pretend what he's become.
Speaker 1: No, he's It's incredible what he's He's breaking down every wall. I mean, yes, there are actors who've become directors, but he is a very successful actor who's become a very successful director. And I think as a director he's really found his matchier. I think it's his voice. His writing is so phenomenal. He's such a great writer.
Speaker 2: What's fun. Yeah, And he and his wife came over here to look at the farm because we have a mutual friend, Muffin.
Speaker 3: Yes, everybody loves them.
Speaker 2: All connected in Bedford and Katona by this one woman Muffined Ambrosio Dowdle and Muffin is our real estate agent, and she is the most fabulous person. And and she whenever she has any potential buyer, she calls me up and says, can we come see the farm? And she brings them over and I give a little tour. And I have hosted so many interesting people, most of whom have bought and lived here now in Bedford, which is so great because we have an interesting populace here in the in the town.
Speaker 1: And it's just I feel like every day it's getting better. Reve opening in town and Duchess opening and now Oho has got the news store and masked, and it's like, wow, really, you know a few more restaurants will be good to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's now I need to I have to do my own Bedford here.
Speaker 3: You do?
Speaker 2: I want you? I want to do please.
Speaker 3: I'm begging you. I'm begging you. I would love it.
Speaker 2: So the Prime video series Jack Ryan, based on Tom Clancy's phenomenal novels. Do you spend much time with John off the screen? Yeah?
Speaker 3: We even when we're working, like and John's one of the most generous.
Speaker 2: When's the next season of coming we're done.
Speaker 3: So we did the four seasons. That's that.
Speaker 1: There's a little talk about maybe doing something else with the Jack Ryan property. I hope it comes to fruition because I would love to continue that.
Speaker 2: Well, we need the next spy writer. Yet, who's the next spy? Who are you looking? Who are you looking at? So I'm just I'm just looking. I have pages of film roles starting in nineteen ninety eight, Origin of the Species, River, Red Man on the Moon, Unbreakable. I mean, so many Carlito's way, I mean there's so many. You had just been bureau.
Speaker 3: I loved that Emily when I met that was that was with Emily. Oh how fantastic and we got on so well.
Speaker 2: So outside the Wire, Oh my gosh, these are fantastic. I mean, this is three pages of hearts. You say, busy, how many days a year do you act?
Speaker 1: I would say, you know, when you're doing a series like Jack Ryan, it was, you know, six months on and then six months off. But typically I would do something even in the months off. Like I I I tell my kids all the time, you never have to work a day in your life if you love what you do. And I truly love what I do. I have been since I became a working actor. I've never had to go to work. I get to go to work. And so whenever I can do it that is right for me with the people I love or respect or you know, I jump right at the opportunity as long as I can work it out with the family time.
Speaker 2: And then there are two pages of television. I've done four lost life stories, Families and crisis. And then you go all the way through the lots of law and orders.
Speaker 1: Dick Wolf that I've met, Dick, and that is that is your as an actor in New York City. That is your right of passage. You have to do alone. You have to be the bad guy. You know, it is something you You strive to get that role because it's a it's very good.
Speaker 2: Pain makes a friend of mine a long time. He's a neighbor in Maine. Oh right, Oh yeah. And I was in one special SV with Miss Hargate and she was so tough on me. She actually made me scared.
Speaker 3: Were you playing yourself?
Speaker 2: I was? I was playing. I was playing the headmistress of a of a private school on Fifth Avenue, and they and they were questioning me, and I started to sweat a little bit because they very good. They are very good at their interrogation.
Speaker 3: Totally believe me.
Speaker 1: I was if you see my name credit on sv you, I was always being interrogating because I was always guy.
Speaker 2: He's always the bad guy so many parts. It's so fun and pantheon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a neat little That was a really cool animated project.
Speaker 3: Dane to Han and for guests, some of the.
Speaker 2: Folks and the Angry Mande.
Speaker 3: It was such a weird little thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it literally took hup no time because his voiceover, you're just voicing the animated characters.
Speaker 2: What was the Komy rule? Like?
Speaker 1: That was great because I mean Jeff Daniels uh played Komy and Brendan Gleeson played Trump and that was.
Speaker 2: Does it go through when he gets fired?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Oh yeah, it takes you right through that.
Speaker 2: Whole I have a relationship with mister do you Yeah, you know the one who prosecuted me.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yes? I did not know that, so I do not like mister Comy. I was very glad I am going to watch it, Is that right?
Speaker 3: That's who?
Speaker 2: Yes, he's a bad guy and look what he did to Hillary. You know he did bad things.
Speaker 1: There is without a doubt what he did influence that election. And I'm not being political that he did true. And you watched this show and you're just like, oh my god, how did all this happen? That's how it's happened.
Speaker 2: I can be funneled down to a few, and he's one of them. That's very distressing. And you hear his who did you play that? Right?
Speaker 1: I played Andrew McCain. Oh okay, that was such a treat. I mean, that was such a treat to get to tell that story. Because Billy Ray, the writer of that, who wrote many things from Captain Phillips, He's just a phenomenal writer and director. He wrote and directed this and he cares. He's so political, and he cares so much.
Speaker 2: And we're so lucky that we have such amazing television and such an amazing film industry because you guys entertain us forever and ever. No, it's wonderful.
Speaker 3: It really I feel very forun to be a part of it at.
Speaker 2: This time, and that you have been able to play so many diverse parts is something that not all actors get to do. I mean, it's really an incredible opportunity. What else do you want to play? I what's on your bucket list?
Speaker 1: So I you know, it's funny. I was talking to Taylor about this. I was like, I want to play. I'm from the South.
Speaker 3: I grew up. They beat the accent out of me.
Speaker 1: I grew up in Georgia school and I can get right on back, right back to my accident real quick. But it's it's something I've wanted to do. And now with lamb Man, I pitched him. I was like, you know, maybe Billy Bob's got a brother, just saying, be pretty cool if he did. And I was like, even if it's not that I want to play, you know something dirty southern, you know, just not.
Speaker 3: You know a lot of times I have on the suit and tie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when they offer me Jack Ryan, I was like, as long as I'm not to wear a suit and tie every day, and so season one or season two that when I joined them, I was still on House of Cards in season one too. When I joined them, every day I was suit and tie. By the end of two I was out of suit and tie, and three or.
Speaker 3: Four you never.
Speaker 2: Off.
Speaker 3: I'm off the rails.
Speaker 1: A lot of times I wear the suit and tie and it's nice when I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I can play.
Speaker 2: You can be a cowboy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this ranch.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's so nice to chat with you, talk with you, and it's uh and it's so nice that you're a neighbor. It is so nice that you live in town and we can see you, get glimpses of you every now and then.
Speaker 3: It is always, and.
Speaker 2: Anytime you need any advice about gardening, just come on over. I will be happy to share experiences with you. But good luck and the rest of your phenomenal career.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you what a pleasure, and thank you so much for having me