Speaker 1: Welcome in to Bears Weekly, powered by IGS Energy by Chicago Bears Network production. Bears Weekly is brought to you by Advocate Healthcare, Athletico Physical Therapy, CD Kellaghan, Connie's Pizza, IGS.
Speaker 2: Energy, and Menard. Here are your.
Speaker 1: Hosts, Jeff Chiliack KKA, the Mayor of Bearsville, and his sidekick Tom the Surfmaster Thayer Well rare.
Speaker 3: Is the person who could uplift a room in the manner of Virginia. Hallis McCaskey could with just her warm smile and hello, the matriarch of the Bears and the daughter of George Hallis, the founding father of the National Football League, has passed and with that we offer our prayers condolences to the McCaskey and Hallis families, the entire Bears family, and Bears fans that span the globe. This is a special edition of Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand on the Chicago Bears Radio Network with Super Bowl winning Bears guard Tom Thayer and Jim Miller, the former Bears quarterback from Sirius x M NFL Radio, joining U shortly. I'm Jeff Joniak. Will take this hour to look back at a life well lived, a long life that ends after one hundred two years, but one that leaves a unique legacy filled with love, kindness, compassion, selflessness, and charity. For those of us fortunate enough to get to know missus McCaskey over the years, or those who have met her only once, we deeply feel this loss because she will be cherished forever. Tom, I know you feel exactly the same way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's an NFL royalty. She is football royalty. She's the development of the biggest game in the history of the United States royalty. She's got all those nice things that you said about her. She also has a world of experience that will never be relived by anybody since the inception of the game that was built through her father, through the long life that she had, and the experiences that she had as a young kid in football, to where she was experienced up into the game up until the conclusion of this season. She's just an incredible, incredible person. She has the passion for the sports unlike a lot of others, and she's the type of person if there was more people like her, it would be a better world.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent took the words right out about many people told me that same thing today, it would be a better world. Coming up on the program, we're gonna be joined by former Bears Ron Rivera Hall of Famer, Mike Singletary, and former Chicago Tribune NFL writer Don Pearson. We'll hear from Jason McKee, We'll hear from Jerry Azuma and in moments Brian Erlacker to share their stories and define her impact on this great franchise and the NFL. We thank our producers tonight, Sean Granny, Dan Burrilli, and Jordan Treadup. And the executive producer of the Bears Radio Network is Eric Ostwasky. So do we have Jim. He's at the super Bowl in New Orleans, and Jim, I know you met this woman and we're a Bear during a great period of time when the Bears went to the one. So I know on those trips when you saw the wins, you saw the expression on her face was all good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, it's a it's a sad day, you know what, A just a wonderful human being, like you said, always they're always traveling to the games, always a part of the team, and you know, and her husband ed, you know, I always bring up Ed. You know, those two were so wonderful together and you know, Ed we had some of the greatest conversations in the training room and same with Virginia, and you know, so it's a sad day in the NFL for you know, I think we understand how the direction the NFL is going, but to have these family owned franchises like say the Rooneys or say the mccaskey's, it's special and there's a lot of rich history with those great organizations. And you know, so thoughts and prayers to the McCaskey family, to everybody in the organization. And you know, loyalty is a wonderful trait and I definitely believe and know that the McCaskey family definitely have that trait. And it's with you know, just a sad day all around for the NFL.
Speaker 4: You know, I think it's super fitting that the Super Bowl is in New Orleans this week because that's a locker room that Virginia McCaskey was in at the conclusion of our Super Bowl that we won, and she was had the biggest smile in the building, was big as big as anybody that was inside that building. And for this Super Bowl to be played in New Orleans this year, when that's where Virginia McCaskey was when she represented the Chicago Bears an acceptance of the Lombardi Trophy. It is fitting that that Super Bowl is being played in New Orleans this week.
Speaker 3: And fitting that the Bears defeated the Green Bay Packers on the foot of Cairo Santos to end the twenty twenty four season with a win. So she went out in fine fashion with a win. There a statement from the team earlier, just a portion of it. While we are set, we are comforted knowing Virginia Hollis McCaskey lived a long, full, faith filled life and is now with the love of her life on earth. The family said she guided the Bears for four decades and based every business decision and what was best for Bears players, coaches, staff and fans. Just a short time ago, also down in New Orleans, WHI Jim is covering the Super Bowl, Bears Hall of Famer Brian Erlacker, I was able to reach him on the phone before he attends a function, the great function that coach Ditka started. The Wounded Warriors party, always a big one at the Super Bowl. Here's my conversation with the Bears middle linebacker Ryan.
Speaker 6: When you heard the news, what's the first thing that popped in your head?
Speaker 7: I was sad. You know. I saw her. She was at my Hall of Fame party and I saw her I think the next year at a home game for the Bears. That was actually the Philadelphia playoff game. I saw her in the box. And she always is so nice and so sweet, you know. But yeah, she showed up to my Hall of Fame party. I think the game was over at like eleven, and her and the family rolled in around twelve thirty after the game just to pay their respects. Was pretty awesome. Really sad this morning when I heard the news.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was at that party, and I think it was like, yeah, well twelve fifteen stated.
Speaker 7: Right, yeah, well that it was visual. We loved her as well. It was nice spirit whenever we saw her in the building. You know, she was there every day, you know, when I was playing, she was still young. She was in her eighties about that, you know, but she still went to work every day.
Speaker 6: I can't get out of my head though, the NFC title game, this snow Globe game, and she's there with a huge mongous smile on her face, soaking it all in, ready to receive the George S. Hollis Trophy to signify the NFC champion from Terry Bradshaw. Is that something that lives in your mind and your memory.
Speaker 7: That's yeah, that's one of my favorite moments of my career. Honestly. Just to be on that stage at our at our stadium, in front of our fans, playing the way we played that day. To be receiving the George House Trophy that we won, and you know, his his daughter's receiving and with U up thrown the stage is pretty awesome. That's one of my when people ask me what my one of my favorite moments is, it's definitely that's been my top two or three. Just a cool situation, you know, to have my teammates up there and her up there as well. Receiving that trophy was pretty special.
Speaker 6: You were there for a long time, so did you ever have any private moments where their conversations. Did you happen to pick her brain or you know, because she was always about family, so she was probably.
Speaker 7: Sure a family. Yeah, she's always My kids met her a few times when they were in the building. Yeah, everything was family first, and you know that from playing with playing there for the amount of time I did fail her in the facility every day doing their jobs. But yeah, we didn't no really private conversations, just like, how's your family, how are you? You know? That was most of our conversations consisted of that. I don't know that we ever talked about football, honestly. It was always families and how things are going in that aspect.
Speaker 6: Right, that is one thing, not a lot of football conversation. It was always about about the person. Lastly, before I let you go and appreciate it. I know you're down to the Super Bowl already to enjoy tonight's party with coach, did you know? Passing then on? So thank you for doing that.
Speaker 7: Fun Jeff, And you know he does such a great job with good Aaron great. I've heard your coaches doing better. I'm excited about that, you know, I've seen a couple a couple of years ago. I saw him and it was kind of sad scene them like that. And then I heard some news of other day from one of the women who run this organization saying that he's doing a lot better. He's talking better on the at and she said, tell me hi, So I was excited about that.
Speaker 3: That's Bears linebacker Brian Erlacker, the Hall of Famer. We're gonna take a break. When we come back, we'll be joined by Tom's old teammate and former Bears coach, defensive coordinator and outstanding player, Ron Riverao. Join us here on Bears Weekly on the SBN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Bears Weekly on the Bears Radio Network. Here's your host, the Voice of the Bears, Jeff Jonian.
Speaker 3: He is brought to you by Igs Centered Jeff Joniak, Tom Fair, and Jim Miller from Serious X and MNFL Radio covering the Super Bowl down in New Orleans, a place that Ron Rivera lebrated with Tom Thayer the rest of his teammates in Super Bowl win in nineteen eighty six. After the eighty five season, Super Bowl twenty and Ron kind enough to join us. Unfortunately, I made that phone call to you today, Ron with the news and your action was, you know, okay, fell off. Okay, we'll get him right back here in a second. So the calls are the toughest thing, Tommy, The calls of the bad news that somebody has passed away.
Speaker 4: As soon as the news did get out there, you know, I heard from a lot of different corners of the country about the passing of Virginia. And I think because of everybody knew that how old that she had grown to that everybody that was not only concerned, but they were so appreciative of her adventure in her life and her accomplishments and everything. So I think that was a significant part of everybody's concern and out and Jim, you.
Speaker 3: Know, listening to Brian Urlacher, I love talking to him about what was going on there, great memories for him. You know, he was very flattered that she was at his Hall of Fame party at that hour.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, I mean, hey, the Bears have a recorded history. I mean they've got the most Hall of famers of anybody, and obviously with Tester and Brian, you know, the most recent and Mongol McMichael. And I mean there's a sense of pride now, I mean, she she knows what that means. She knows the history of the league and how special that is. And you know that's something in her and Ed's trophy case and Papa Hallis's trophy case of all the great players that they've introduced to the country that have played for the Chicago Bears. And there's a sense of pride, no different than I'm sure her children. You know, she's got wonderful children who all work for the for the Bears, from from Mike one down to the Pat and Rich and Brian and and what they do and how a part of it they are. So there's a sense of pride, and she should be proud. And boy, what a wonderful life she lived, no.
Speaker 3: Question about it. Ron Rivera now kind of enough to join us, Chico. How you doing, man? Think about what missus mccatney witnessed firsthand, from Red Grange to Shid Luckman, the forties championship run, the sixty three team, the eighty five team, alive for eight of the nine championships. I mean, nobody on this planet has been able to see all that run.
Speaker 8: Nobody has. And that's the amazing thing about who she is. You know, she's grown up in this situation and circumstances. She's been a very big part of the NFL, and she's a big part of Chicago Bear lore. I mean, she saw more than anybody else, and now unfortunately we've lost her, And you know, I think her legacy will carry on, especially if if you were a guy that played for that organization and she allows you to become part of it. I mean that to me is what's really really special.
Speaker 4: Hey, Ron, you know, I grew up in the Chicagoland area, so I've known her. For you, McCaskey is my entire life. So you come from the West Coast and you come into the building and you have a chance for the first time to see Virginia McCaskey, to be around her.
Speaker 8: For the period of your career.
Speaker 4: To get the understanding of how serious she is about the sport of football. Do you ever remember your initial reaction or introduction.
Speaker 8: To her, I do, I do. You know what it was interesting was when you made the team back in the day. And I don't know if they did that to you Tom in eighty five, But in eighty four, what happened was Coach Dicka had all the rookies line up in front of the team, and and and and missus McCaskey came and she introduced Coach introduced us to her. And what happened was each one of us was given pallace by Hollis and gave us a you know, a a welcome and and it was just and it was amazing thing because you know, just she was. She was such an icon.
Speaker 5: Thanks well for me, Ron. I know you didn't have the opportunity to come to the Bears hundredth anniversary. I had the opportunity, and obviously Death and tom Ware hosting. And from your standpoint, you know, just talk about that history, talk about that tradition. I know you were coaching and doing your thing, but all those Bears that I just mentioned, there's more Chicago Bears in the Hall of Fame, and there's a sense of pride. I think from that standpoint.
Speaker 8: There isn't a thing about about Missus mccaskimo or anything else. That was how much price you took in us, and that I think was one of the things. And you know, now I will say this, I know one thing, one team that she loved for us to beat was anytime we beat Green Bay. You could always see that smile on her face when you got on the airplane. And that was always neat to.
Speaker 3: See Ron Rivera joining us here on Bears Weekly on ESPN. One thousand of the Bears Radio Network, Tom Ron and Jim. The crazy thing she had a personal relationship with each of the thirty high of famers associated with the Bears.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, No, No, It's just absolutely because just as the way you know, she had a relationship with each one of her players. I mean, she was there during training camp, she was there, she was coming into discility all the time. She'd be walking the meetings on occasion, so she was around and she was there for us to see and for her to greet. So that was something that was very special, you know, Ron, in the.
Speaker 4: Course of our lifetime, whether it was Ed McCaskey, mc all of them. When you think about your career and what came of your career, do you think that you would have got into coaching if you weren't surrounded by a family owned team like the Chicago Bears in the.
Speaker 2: Environment that we both grew up in.
Speaker 8: You know what, I'm not sure because the thing about them and thing that was special about them was they wanted to make sure, you know, that we were given every opportunity. And that's one thing that I will always always remember is just the fact that they gave us that kind of an opportunity to grow as as football players, grow as people, and when the opportunity came to give me a chance, Ed McCaskey helped give me my opportunity to get into the NFL as a coach.
Speaker 5: Well, coach Tom Layer talked about it earlier, but your Super Bowl twenty victory and the irony you know here that was probably one of the ultimate highs in the Chicago Bears organization. In Virginia was a part of it right there with all you guys, and then here the Super Bowl in New Orleans, and I think Tom pretty much encapsulated that it's kind of come full circle and what a wonderful life her and Ed have lived, you know, and it just really the irony.
Speaker 8: Of it, well, it's truly ironic, just just the fact that it's here in New Orleans. You know, I just happened to be here at the NFL Honors and you know, I'm at the event right now. And the crazy part about, more than anything else, is just the fact that you know, she was so iconic and that now in one of the more iconic places, the host of Super Bowl, you know, we lose her. And so that was something that I will you most certainly remember all.
Speaker 3: Right, Ron, We'll let you go enjoy the show. NFL honors. Her name will be definitely be mentioned tonight there. Enjoy it down in New Orleans. Thanks for taking the time.
Speaker 8: I promise she'll be remembered. But I appreciate you, guys. I'm God bless Virginia McCaskey.
Speaker 3: Thanks appreciate it. Ron rivera Bears linebacker and Bears defensive coordinator for that two thousand and five team that went to the playoffs. I think some of the responses from throughout the league, from the teams, everybody weighing in. I'll just take a couple of highlights here. For example, Michael Bidwell in Arizona, greatest legacy, the character, compassion, and kindness. She demonstrated. They'll never be another like her. In Minnesota, carried herself with grace and integrity. You talk about the Carolina Owners, the Teppers, an incredible steward of the NFL, a trailblazer, the Denver Broncos an indelible legacy of leadership, grace and love of football that we'll canntinue to inspire four generations. And of course, the Commission of the National Football League also weighing in today. We'll hear from some of that in his comments on this passing of Virginia Haddos McCaskey. We will take a break. Coming up at the top of the hour another Hall of Famer Mike Singletary, who joined the program. This is Bears Weekly out of ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Bears Weekly. Become a Bears Ingo Network. Here's your host, the Voice of the Bears, Jeff Julian.
Speaker 3: Have a new or gently used coat land around Still time to head you to local jewelasco until February tenth, so just four days from now and donate one of your new or gently used coach to the thirty sixth annual Chicago Bears Coat Drive and help keep Chicagoans warm this winter. With Tom Thayer, a Super Bowl winning Bears guard, and Jim Miller, former Bears quarterback from sirius XM NFL Radio, we are celebrating the life of missus Ginia Hattis McCaskey. Her passing today garnering the headlines here in the football world and in Chicago. George H. McCaskey when they celebrated her one hundredth birthday in twenty twenty three, described her greatest qualities as her grace, quiet, dignity, humility, and gratitude, and revealed that she continues to inspire him every day in every way with a remarkable combination of grit and grace. Okay, a very nice woman, correct, Tom, faithful, love family. But she's tough, you.
Speaker 4: Know, because she was sincere. She had the passion for the game. She didn't want to be interrupted. Why she was watching the game. She took notes diligently, she had an opinion of the performance on the field. And I think that's what caught people by surprise a lot of the time was they didn't realize what they were going up against when they met Virginia McCaskey, either at a game, before or after a game. Because on a football Sunday, that's all it was about. From the time we got on the buses on Saturdays till we got off the buses on Sunday. You know, there is a lot of emotion that went into those trips, but there's a lot of emotions that were attached to each and every play every game.
Speaker 3: Jim family meant everything. But think about this eleven children twenty one grandchildren, forty great grandchildren and four great great grandchildren. By definition, that is matriarch.
Speaker 5: Without a doubt. And there's a lot of nurturing and a lot of care involved there. And you want to know what, I give her credit for this. I love how she reached out because obviously I live in Detroit, and she La Fordham obviously took over the lines and it was her, it was Gail Benson and Adam's strunk down there for the Houston or for the Tennessee Titans. Excuse me that, you know, she reached out to him, you know, and she really welcomed in. She looked Fordham and you know, really welcomed her with open arms and what to expect and here's what it is. And and Sheila, I know locally in Detroit, has spoken blowingly about Virginia McCaskey and really the advice she has given her as she's taken on this challenge of turning around the Detroit Lions. So credit to Virginia from that front as well.
Speaker 3: Often referred to as the first Lady of the NFL, or George would often say the first Lady of Sport. The gifts the connection to faith seriously very important six point fifteen mess in the first pew.
Speaker 4: Tommy, Yeah, Bailey, you know, I was thinking about Virginia because there's we're not the same person the first day we walk in the building, then the last day we walk out of the building at the end of our career. But each and every single time that you walk by Missus McCaskey, you want to leave an impression on her that you are the quality of person that she expects you to be. And I remember when they opened up the new Hallis Hall and they were opening and opening a chapel there, and she had invited some guests to come in there and go to that mass with her.
Speaker 3: And the invitation is so special.
Speaker 4: That you want to go in there with her approval and have approval at the end of the day. And I think every one of us, whether you're talking about Ron Rivera coaching for the Bears, or the way Brian Urlacker reflected about his time with Virginia, every single one of us who had the pleasure of walking in the Hallae Hall, it was about making sure that we left in an impression on Virginia that she would be proud of.
Speaker 3: And she showed up for important moments in people's lives, funerals. I know she was there for your mom, Yeah, and then yeah, she was there.
Speaker 4: And it was probably the only time I really got emotional at my mom's service is when Virginia walked in, because it was a special moment because I think back back in the day when they used to host a luncheon for the wives and the mothers of all the players, and I remember the first time my mom went to one and how impressed she was with Virginia McCaskey, her delivery, her presence in the room, her conversation, and so I was always excited for you know, my mom that coming from Joelay the Illinois, got to go and spend uncheon afternoon with a woman like Virginia McCaskey.
Speaker 3: NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell his statement today, she leaves a legacy of class, dignity, and humanity, faith, family and football in that order were her north stars. And she lived by the simple adage to always quote do the right thing. Tom Fair, Jeff Jioniac, Jim Miller. This is Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio network, shortly to be joined by Hall of famer Mike Singletary, as we celebrate a life lived. One of the things she did. She behind the scenes a lot of things, but Nativity sets, Tommy, the Orange and Blue rosaries, I know I have many. When my kids were born, they got them. That connection that was so important to her.
Speaker 4: The charitable side, yeah, I mean the whole terrible side, and whether it's as significant as a yearly holiday that she loved to celebrate, and she did it traditionally, but I always think about Virginia in recent history. I gave her a couple books, and she went on to read the books, and then she wrote me these handwritten letters of appreciation, and her penmanship is like an artist. I've saved the letters and I look at them frequently because I just think of the time, the approach that she took to write these letters, and how much it meant to her to make sure that she did something that she would approve of that everybody else would be inspired by.
Speaker 3: Jim. I know this that most seasons, and I don't know if it happened every season, but in recent vintage, she would come and speak to the team before I think the rookies in particular, but she would speak to the team at started training camp. Were you were you a witness to that at any point in your time with the Bears.
Speaker 5: No, she didn't do that, but at least when I was there, she did not do that. But I do remember this. You know, my wife Lea would come home from the Bears Care, you know, she would go That's something that Virginia had started, and she was very involved with the Bears Care and they had the Gala and all that and all those events. Those were you know, weekly events, and you know, I know a lot of the players, wives and a lot of people in the community would go to those Bear Care events and that Virginia was very involved in that, and that was important for her. And that was a big part of getting the wives together and getting people to get to know one another. And I think that was a big help for players as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Bearscare the establishment in two thousand and five. Since that time, Bearscare is issued grants totaling more than thirty one and a half million dollars to two hundred and twenty five qualifying age sees to improve the quality of life for people in the Chicagoland community, especially disadvantaged children and their families, certainly the breast and ovarian cancer awareness and the medical research. You know, I hosted that event for a long time. And the number of coaches that have come through and that they all come to the event, but one sticks out, Coach Dave Tobe. His wife had cancer and the study and the money spent on the research for this particular form of cancer helped save her life. So you know, the branches that from this individual and the heart of gold that she has helped helping others, and through the Piccolo family and the relationship with Brian, the relationship with Walter Payton. I mean, these are two pillars in her life for sure.
Speaker 4: Well, all of those Bear Care charity events, it was always a special moment because all the Bear alumni we used to go to the upper level of the Cadillac area of the Soldier Field and we get to take a picture with Virginia McCaskey, all of us in only her And through all the years of having those pictures, it was a special moment because as soon as they made the announcement for all alumni to gather in that specific area, they were all there, and they did it with immediacy out of respect for the person that was our leader.
Speaker 3: And of course the Bears present an award now every year to a team employee who demonstrates the values of grace, humidity, loyalty and dedication. It's called the Virginia mccaskie Award, and it's an important one. There's a plaque at hawisaw every year for that winner. We're going to take a break. We'll be joined by other former Bears here coming up. This is Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Is Bears Weekly with the voice of the Bears for twenty four years, the Chef Jone and Chef on the Bear's Radio Network.
Speaker 3: This segment of Bears Weekly is brought to you by CDW. People to get it with Jeff Joniac, Tom Thayer, and Jim Miller from Serious x MNFL Radio down in New Orleans. Please to be joined now by a man who covered the Bears for more than four decades, the great writer from the Chicago Tribune, Don Pearson, now enjoying retirement and kind enough to join us for reflection because Don, along with our good friend Dan POMPEII, authored the Chicago Bears Centennial scrapbook back in twenty nineteen. Don good evening, and thank you for joining us. First of all, your thoughts on the passing of Virginia, somebody that you and Dan spent I believe Dan told me twenty hours going through the history of the Bears through the eyes of Virginia McCaskey and her home and displains back then.
Speaker 9: Well, you're right, Jeff, it was a lot of time, and I, as Dan, feel very privileged to be able to spend that time with her. She was a remarkable lady and and had had an amazing I think she was ninety six when we talked to her, and she had an amazing memory.
Speaker 3: What is the one story told out of so many that really sticks with you that kind of exemplifies what she witnessed over the one hundred and plus years of Bear's football, or just about her as a person.
Speaker 9: You're going to restrict me to one story, Jeff.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, take your shots.
Speaker 9: Well, I one of the things that I recall when that was sort of amazing to her was that when she was young, she had a piggy bank. She and her brother mugs George Jr. And during the depression, her dad had to raid that piggy bank in order to make payroll before the ticket tales came in. And when you think about that, it's really sort of mind boggling to think that here's a team, really an industry that's what one hundred and five years old now and she was one hundred and two, and it's just just amazing that that someone spanned the entire history of a sport.
Speaker 3: Hey, don this top player. Great to talk to you.
Speaker 4: Do you ever recall a moment, maybe back at the beginning of your career covering the Bears or some portion during during your career, that you kind of realize how serious the Bears were to Virginia, you know, because a lot of people don't get to see that side of her at a game, covering a game or postgame.
Speaker 9: Good good point, Tom. I know she was stunned as we all were when Muggs died at age fifty four in nineteen seventy nine, and she was really unfre paired, really put in an untenable position. And her father has to be accountable for that because even after her brother died, her father refused to provide her with any kind of preparation. They really had no succession plan. And I remember Virginia saying, well, more than most people, my dad thought himself immortal. And I think that that's really come back to haunt the Bears over the years, because you know, it put her in a very difficult position, and I think that people don't realize, as you said, how much the Bears meant to her. I'm not sure she realized it herself until she was thrust into this position, and she spent really the rest of her life seeing her role as sort of a sacred duty to preserve that legacy of her father.
Speaker 5: Well, don Jim Miller here, good to talk to you. And I brought it up from a local perspective because I lived just north of Detroit. Of how she impacted Sheila Ford Hamp and the other you know are Gail Benson, you know, other women owners in the NFL, and you know how important it is, you know, to really know how to own. And Sheila Ford Hamp kind of took that torch and wanted to really carry it. And I think you know, when you look at Virginia, she was a big part in talking to Sheila Ford of areas that she can focus on for her team.
Speaker 7: To do well.
Speaker 9: Another good point Jim, and you'd have to add the Merra family in there, and the Rooney family. And I think the women who bought who were all friends who good friends with Virginia always looked up there. I remember Paul Tagli about who called her the first lady of the NFL, and she certainly earned that uh position and and and was a role model for for for many of those owners. She was very gracious, very unpretentious. She knew what she didn't know. Uh And and what what fans I'm sure you've talked about this, but what what fans have to understand? And they're they're understandably impatient, But she was as impatient as any of the fans.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 9: She she really uh uh, she really understood how important the team and then its success was to the city.
Speaker 3: Tom Pearson, our guest here for a couple of more moments as we look back in the life of Virginia Hallis McCaskey.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: The NFL Films documentary and I and Jim's alluded to the the other women in the NFL. A Lifetime of Sundays is a must watch if you can find it, check it out. You're gonna learn a lot about the history of the National Football League and the impact of these women. Ton uh I get a kick out of the oldest stories though. The the NFL's first postseason game indoors at Chicago Stadium nineteen thirty two, the Port Smith Spartans and the Chicago Bears, the first NFL championship game the Giants and Bears. She was nine years old. I mean, yeah, she was there, or or the defeat of the Redskins seventy three nothing in the nineteen forty championship game. What would lit her up, you know when you asked her these questions and what put the biggest smile on her face.
Speaker 9: Well, she always said it was a little bit of a surprise to us. But she always said she appreciated the nineteen sixty three championship because that was the happiest she had ever seen her father. Because her father been under a lot of pressure. People thought the game had passed him by, and maybe had, but he won that championship in nineteen sixty three, and she thought that was the happiest she had ever seen him. And of course for her personally, of course, there was nothing that That's the nineteen eighty five experience.
Speaker 4: You know, don you think of all your experiences and putting together all the information from the one hundred year celebration, and I think it was one of the greatest events in the history of the Chicago Bears. Was there any topic that was off limits or is everything answerable by Virginia.
Speaker 9: Tom? I think I say she had a great memory, and she did, but she was very Her dad was very secretive, as you know. She wasn't so much secretive, but she was very protective. I wouldn't say things were off limits. She answered every question. She's not a racked on tour. She didn't slap her thigh and say remember the time that I remember the time that I was carried through the train station by Red Grain. She wasn't like that. But she answered the questions as best she could. She was protective. Uh, but but I don't think anything was really off limits. You got to remember this is this is someone that that had to pull the trigger on her own or eldest son as the president of the Bears. That that took a lot of That took a lot of courage, and I don't think anything was off limits for her.
Speaker 3: Don the.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, go ahead, no, go ahead, go ahead, no, no no.
Speaker 3: Go ahea, because we have time for one more.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Jimmy, Well, I was just gonna ask you, Donna, just what it meant, you know, for her father. You know, when you purchase the Decatur Staley's and what the Bears have become. You know, look at how big the NFL is and how you know when Ed passed away, and and you know she has really taken over. And then of course you know, to bring along George McCaskey and the and the rest of the family members to be a part of something special. It truly is unique in this day and age in the National Football League, and it is a sense of pride and it should be with the McCaskey family.
Speaker 9: You're absolutely right, and we'll never see anything like it in sports. Again. I was thinking today, you know, George used to say how they charged each other on the running board in Canton one hundred dollars entry fee, and they really didn't. They just to make them look legitimate. They really didn't have one hundred dollars among them to rub together. And now this franchise is worked worth more than six billion dollars. And to think, to think that she passed on the week of the Super Bowl, which is a signature event of the industry that father really founded, seems a bit providential to me.
Speaker 3: In the city where Tom Thayer and the Boys won Super Bowl twenty on top of it, and John appreciate it so much. You're a book of knowledge. Hope you're enjoying your retirement. Stay healthy, and thank you for all your time. Thanks for all your coverage of the Bears for four decades. It was great.
Speaker 9: Well. Thanks, it's great to talk to you guys.
Speaker 3: Don Pearson our guest here on Bears Weekly. One note from his partner in crime on that collective book, Dan POMPEII. After the seventy three to nothing winn of the nineteen forty Championship game, Don writes in The Athletic Today, fans tore down the goal post, and she was given some of the splinters wooden't splinters from the goal post. For years she kept them in her jewelry box. I mean, you can't get this anywhere else. It's great stuff. All right, final segment coming up will be joined by Jerry Azuma and our teammate Jason McKee. It's all coming up next on Bears Weekly, and he spn one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome back to Bears Weekly, the Bears Windio Network. Here's your host, the Voice of the Bears, Jeff Joianank.
Speaker 3: You by Athletical Physical Bear bea visitt Athletico dot com to request at in clinic or virtual appointment that start feeling better. Tomorrow, we're celebrating life of Virginia Hallis mccaski known at hell Hull as Missus McCaskey, Tom player, Jim Miller kind of enough to step away from Super Bowl coverage to join us in this special show. Heard a lot of great stories. Do we have Jerry online? Okay, Jerry Azuma joining us now. We're also gonna hear from Jason McKee. Jerry, thanks for taking the time on short notice to join us today. I know you've been busy with family. You know you joined the board of director you know as a player, yes, but your board of directors of Bears Care in two thousand and six and the president of Bear's Care. I know that means a lot to you. But with that you had many, many meetings about Bears Care and what it should be with Virginia. So what's your perspective on all of this and how it impacts that organization.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, first and foremost, my condolences to the family and the loved ones of Virginia and pretty much the whole entire you know, NFL. I'm sure they're feeling a certain way about this. But yes, I was very fortunate enough to spend some time with Virginia through Bears Care, and I'll never forget when I got asked to be on that board, and you know, we just had a really heartfelt talk about what she wanted to do within the community and everything, and that just speaks to like who she is as a person. You know, she's always about family, faith and then football obviously, and then you know she's always about individuals their family and you know that's that's one thing that I definitely remember about her and will can see to always remember about her.
Speaker 3: Also, jumping in honest right now is the Hall of Famer Mike Singletary. Mike, thanks for taking out the time on our remaining moments. You heard the news, what was your initial thought? Where did your mind and heart go with the passing of Virginia McCaskey today.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I when I heard the news, my mind immediately win to the bobol. Every year when my wife and I were fortunate enough to go to the Pro Bowl when it was in Hawaii, Ed McCaskey in Virginia would take us to dinner and that was that was always one of the highlights of being able to make the to Bowl, being able to be a part of the Bearable organization. That always kind of went to the heart of what I felt about the Chicago there, being able to be in an organization where you know, they always talked about, you know, on the business side of it, it was one thing, but it really showed me on the family side of it how important things that made you feel. And by she and in the caps and doing that, that was really always a heartfelt thing.
Speaker 3: Mike, tom Fair.
Speaker 4: Here and it's good to talk to you as always. Hey, Mike, So you know I always say that we're not the same person walking in the building as we are walking out of the building.
Speaker 2: At the end of our career.
Speaker 3: So during the.
Speaker 4: Time of your career, what influences was Virginia on your life, not necessarily your football life, with the life of Mike Singletary.
Speaker 2: Wow, and you asked it in another way, I want to make sure I have for that right.
Speaker 8: And again, well no, I'm just saying.
Speaker 4: You know, so as a young man when we walk into the Bears, when we're drafted from wherever we come from, and then we have a chance to spend a good career up at hallis Hall, and then you think about the influence that Virginia is on your life when you leave the building, what was what was Virginia?
Speaker 3: What was her influences.
Speaker 4: In your life? The father like Singletary, not necessarily the football player like Singletary.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, when when I think about Virginia and her influence, I always think about uh consistency, you know, being the mother of the organization, always been steady, always being faithful, always having a quiet strength, and and being able to know that no matter what was happening in the organization, no matter who was the president of the organization, no matter who was of the GM of the organization, you knew that somehow, uh the mcgaffe, she was going to have influence, she was going to have a power. She was going to lean defendulums back to where it needs to be in order to make it right. And I think that when you know that growing up in an organization and growing up in professional football, coming in as a young man out of college, of what happened to leaving, and knowing what it takes to be a great organization. It was always wonderful to know that that kind of influence and that kind of consistency and that kind of character was in the building.
Speaker 5: Well, well, coach Jim Miller here good to talk to. In My last interaction with Virginia was at the one hundred year anniversary and I was sitting along at that time. Brad Childress was a part of the organization. He and I sat in a corner and just watched every player go up to Virginia and say thank you, you know, for this event and being a part of the Chicago you know, it's like a prop parent, you know. You could just tell she was just so excited and it meant the world to her that every player came up and talked to her and said thank you. And I love being a part of the Bears, And it was wonderful to see what's something special And Brad and I just sit and took it all in and watched every player do that, and it was wonderful. What was your last interaction with Virginia. I know you mentioned the Pro Bowls, but maybe where you had a good heart to heart.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, in these last few years have been kind of kind of tough to have a heart to heart. But I can remember my last interaction with her, My wife and I were together a couple of years ago, and being able to let her know how much we appreciated her, let her know how much we really enjoyed her quiet leadership, her quiet presence, and her steadiness, being able to all know that she was there. She may not say much, but you knew that there was always a lot going on on her knee frame for that organization and her team and the family.
Speaker 3: Mike, we're gonna let you go appreciate it very much for your thoughts and enjoy I'm assuming you're at the Super Bowl festivities down there in New Orleans, so enjoy that. And God bless my friend.
Speaker 2: Thank you, God bless you.
Speaker 3: Mike Singletary. That's going to wrap up our show. What a show it was. It moved quickly, thanks to everybody. The executive producer of the Bears Radio Network, Eric Ostrowsky, our producers Dan Brilly, Jordan tread Up, and Sean Granny and studio. Thanks to our guests Ron Rivera, Mike Singletary, Don Pearson, Jerry Azuma. We didn't get to everybody, but for Tom Thayer and Jim Miller. I'm Jeff Jonahak. This is my thought, my final thought. Humility has presence. Missus McCaskey had it, and now she's gonna lift it all the way to the heavens. God bless the family. God blessed Bears fans, and condolences to everybody in the organization. Anna, McCaskey and hallis family that's going to do it for us. This has been Bears Weekly. I'm a new radio home of the Chicago Bears. ESPN Chicago. Have a great night, everybody.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to the Chicago Bears Network presentation The Bears Weekly hosted by the Mayra, Bearsville Chef juliand and Surfmaster Tom Vay.
Speaker 3: Podcasts that were.
Speaker 1: Available on the Chicago Bears Official Adam brought to you by Verizon and Apple Podcasts. Bears Weekly has been brought to you by the Miller Life