Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look at some stocks on the move this week. I'm Tim Staneveek along with Carol Masser, and we're joined by Bloomberg News Deputy team leader for US Equities Jessmanton Jess Lot Moving this week, what did you pick?
Speaker 3: The top performer and the best performer in the S and P five hundred was Western Digital. The ticker symbol is WDC, so if you use the MLV function you could see that on a weekly basis. So this is a digital stored solutions compatible with MAX and PCs and things like that. So hard disk drives obviously, and this is a big time when you're thinking about generative AI and how it's going to have a huge impact on those large corporations and how they do business. So what really kind of catapulted this rally this week on a weekly basis up almost fifteen percent this week was basically Morgan Stanley ended up naming the stop as its top picked and how this what was once thought of as a laggard could end up becoming more of an industry type winner because usually it gets overshadowed by Seagate, which I will mention if you look at that ticker STX this week also one of the top performers, up twelve percent on a weekly basis. So Eric Woodring is the analyst at Morgan Stanley, so he has a firm and basically maintained this by rating on the data storage company. So it boosted its price target to ninety nine dollars and it was previously ninety two dollars. And the big thing on this is if you just look from a valuation perspective, is what he was arguing. He was believing that Western Digital's twenty percent valuation discount over some of its larger peers is basically being overlooked compared to what is happening on the fundamental side, and they see that more probability in the future and some of the issues it had from a management perspective is expected to improve. So that, of course one of the top performers this week along with Seagate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was one of the gainers from throughout the week for me as well. I mean this dock now up about one hundred and four percent year to date, so quite a tear. It makes me think we got to look at these sectors or get these CEOs on right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sounds good. Hey, speaking of a stock that did pretty well this week, Broadcom chicker AVG pretty well, not as well as Western Digital, but still very well.
Speaker 3: Right, So up almost thirteen percent on a weekly basis, and as you mentioned, the ticker avgo and of course the share storing on its work with open Ai to create a new AI chip, and just recently in recent weeks, people were talking about when it came to in videos revenue forecasts not coming in quite as strong as what analysts had be anticipating, as kind of a rare to see the poster child of AI do that. But then still you can't overlook Broadcom because it's still seen as a key AI beneficiary and so the fact that it's holding up well and also actually added more than two hundred billion dollars to the company's market cap on Friday. So if you're looking at the chip designers and how it's benefiting from a post chat GBT boom, that actually gave investors some more optimism on the AI story. On the back of some components with an nvidious report recently about that missed some of analysts expectations.
Speaker 4: Broadcom now up about almost forty five percent year to date, so definitely some momentum into that. One not having such a great week Lululemon.
Speaker 3: Lulu is the ticker symbol, So Lulu down seventeen percent this week and that was basically it's worst weekly performance since March of twenty twenty. So unfortunately, I mean, when you think about some of the ath leisure were and maybe more expensive compared to some of its counterparts, and what that's a tell on the economy. Unfortunately, it's having this elusive recovery that's prompting seven analyst cuts and actually more than that now, so the shares hit its lowest level since the onset of the pandemic. And unfortunately, what happened here and why this happened, It actually cut its outlook for both the third quarter and the third year and the full year rather so it actually was hurt by weak demand. And then also a component of that, of course, probably not surprisingly is trade and tariffs under the Trump administration. So you're seeing the by rating of those shares dropping two. It's lowest since twenty fourteen if you're looking at the an R functions, So like TD Cowen analyst John kernin, so the company needs to strategically pivot as the company's entering this new phase, and so just looking at the pain in that company's stock right now. Unfortunately that had actually recent years still outperformed many of its peers. So whether that's a tell on the economy, we'll have to wait and see in the cup next few months.
Speaker 4: Whether it's company specific or something more broadly in terms of consumer spending. The stock, by the way, shares of Lulu down fifty six percent year to date.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.