Speaker 1: Hey, and welcome to the short stuff. I'm Josh and there's Chuck and it's just us. But we're going to do it no problem. Everybody just calmed down.
Speaker 2: Just the short stuff, that's right. I thought about getting one together about this topic because my daughter Ruby got the wind knocked out of her for the first time, oh no, a couple of weeks ago and told me about it. I wasn't there when it happened. It happened at school, and she said it was scary, and I was like, hey, listen, kiddo, that happened to me. I think she got hit in the chest or something. But I, when I was young, fell out of a tree about probably about I mean, it wasn't super high, but it was probably like seven or eight feet like directly on my back and got the wind knocked out of me really bad. I think maybe the only time that's happened. And if you've never had it happen, it's a very panicky, scary situation because you literally cannot get a breath. You're just like, I wish people could see me now because I'm sort of silently freaking out. But you cannot inhale or exhale for a very short period, for a period of a few seconds until you go and get your breath again finally. But I was like, what's going on there? And we found out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also, that's funny that that coincided with somebody wrote it in an email in the last week or so asking for us to explain getting the really Yeah, so's it's in the air right now? Apparently.
Speaker 2: Well I wish we could name that person, but I didn't realize that, So thank you too, whoever that was.
Speaker 1: So there's another another name for this. It's called frenospasm. The reason why it involves your frontic nerve, which controls your diaphragm, which is essentially at the center of this whole thing. And to understand I guess how all this works, you kind of have to understand how we breathe, right, yeah, oh okay, I'll tell everybody how you breathe. So that diaphragm is a huge mass of like muscle and tendon. It's kind of like dome shaped. It almost looks like the insignia for the Star Trek Federation right right underneath your lungs. I'm trying to bring some of our nerdier fans back okay. And when it expands like we exhale, because it forces our lungs, it forces air out of our lungs. When we inhale again, the diaphragm contracts and gets smaller so our lungs can fill with air. Eventually they reach a point where they're low enough in pressure. The air inside of our lungs is low enough in pressure compared to the outside air pressure that the outside air is like I can't stand it anymore, and rushes in to fill our lungs up, which allows us to breathe again.
Speaker 2: Exactly. And if we're just hanging out, if we're relaxed, or even if we're doing something athletic, the diaphragm is working as it should. Breathing is involuntary. It's an automatic function of our nervous system. Our body's just doing it, and there's really no problems that are happening. The problem with getting winded happens when you get a either like a sock to the chest. If you ever look up, like like martial arts, like you know, where should I hit somebody to take them down, they'll list a bunch of things like the side of the neck or you know, all these different places where you where you can punch someone to kind of not paralyze them necessarily, but at least stop them. And they always say, like, aim for that solar plexus which is very near the diaphragm, and it sort of acts like a bull's eye if you're trying to say, like, punch there. And so if you get socked right there, either by a fist or if you fall out of that tree and land on your back or something, it can potentially, you know, paralyze at least temporarily paralyze that diaphragm because it's spasming to the point where you're just nothing is working as it should and it's it is super super scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So your diaphragm is either like you said, paralyzed or else it's spasming. And when that happens, not only can you not breathe in The reason you start panicking immediately is part of getting the wind knocked out of you. And the reason that name is so perfect is the first part of it is all of the air in your lungs is expelled suddenly, so you've got no air in reserve and you can't breathe. That's why it sucks so terribly terribly bad.
Speaker 2: You're like dying for a few seconds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty much, I mean you are. The thing is is from everything I've seen, it's not a life threatening thing. Your diaphragm stops spasming like clockwork in just a few seconds, and you start breathing again. It takes a little while for the panic to subside because your lizard brain is on like overdrive, but you will start breathing again. And talking about the solar plexus for a second, may I send my soapbox for a second. Yeah, So, if you read around the internet what causes the wind to get knocked out of you or what happens, people will add the solar plexus in and at base. The reason that it gets added as exactly as you described it, that's where your diaphragm is, right, Yeah, But the solar plexus specifically is a bundle of nerves that controls like your guts and your stomach and your spleen and your liver and all that stuff. And it's actually the thing that slows down digestion when you're in fight or flight mode. It's that solar plexus bundle of nerves that's like, oh, Okay, we'll just sit here for a little while while we run the problem that I found, and this is why I'm on my soapbox is plenty of people who have written articles on this kind of thing go a step further and say, well, your solar plexus is temporarily disabled, and so your diaphragm doesn't work. Your solar plexus has nothing to do with sending nerve signals to your diet. And it just drove me nuts to see it over and over and over again because they wouldn't they wouldn't explain it. Yeah, they wouldn't go any further. They just tossed that out. And for anybody who doesn't know or doesn't care to look further, like that's that's some somebody who knows what they're talking about wrote this fact based, researched article and it's just wrong. And that drives me so crazy. Man. It's everywhere. It's just so lazy, and it's it's just a form of spreading this information through laziness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think, well, first of all, I don't think it's very big deal, so.
Speaker 1: It's it's not collectively cumulatively it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's uh, I think it's just sort of a more specific bullseye and a shorthand. For like, instead of saying, punch someone in the diaphragm or punch someone in the stomach, it's it's a little bit higher than that. The solar plexus is sort of midway between your navel and I guess what is it, Yeah, the bottom of your pecks. So I think it's just sort of shorthand. But it's such such a thing, such a shorthand, that getting the wind knocked out of you, like a doctor might even call it a solar plexus attack.
Speaker 1: You go see a different doctor. The doctor I want to shout out a guy named Kevin Tokoff t O k O p h at Catalyst University. Yeah, he did a great video on all this and went to the trouble explaining all that that the solar plexus really doesn't have anything to do with it. It just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Speaker 2: Basically, he didn't get it worked up like you though.
Speaker 1: Huh No, No.
Speaker 2: He was a cool pretty cool all right. Go check out the video because it explains this in a pretty cool way with visuals. But we'll be back to talk about what you might do if you have found that you have had a solar plexus attack right after this man, All right, what can you do buddy if you get if you get socked in land on your back or something.
Speaker 1: Well, the stuff that we found is basically talking to the coach of the little league team. Basically, what you want to do is you have your your the person who had the wind knocked out of them, take a knee right, so when he's on the ground, when knees forward, have them raise their hands above their head and arch their back and stick their chest out. You want to hold their hands up and kind of pull it back a little bit and tell them to breathe deeply, long inhalations, short inhalations, long exhalations, and very quickly you will start breathing normally or the kid will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're by yourself, try to get into that you know position and raise your arms yourself. But if you're too freaked out, maybe just sit up and in like a crowd's position. Try and again breathe through your mouth. Breathe in through your mouth, that is, push your stomach out, then suck your stomach back like try and be real, just intentional with your breathing and try and relax, try and stay calm. That's like the biggest thing is like, all right, I know what's happened to me, and that I will breathe again, So try and kind of dim the panic a little bit. I've also seen where if you're near a pillow, if you follow a tree, you're kind of out of look, I guess, But if there is a pillow, you can put a pillow under your knees and head and that will, I guess, get you in a better position. But again, if you're with someone, try try to get them to help you or hopefully they'll know to help you with the over the head stuff.
Speaker 1: Right. I guess you could be a kid who knew they were going to fall over a tree by they were jumping out of a tree, so they strapped a pillow to their front and back and then found it didn't work. But then you have the pillow sandy, when you're trying to get to the breath back in here.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but just know that you'll start breathe. You'll get that big inhale in a matter of seconds and then you'll be just sort of breathing normally in a few minutes. Usually I saw like ten to fifteen, but I haven't seen that. It really even takes that long.
Speaker 1: Really long.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't remember when I or what the circumstances were for me getting the wind knocked on me, but I definitely have. It feels like a rite of passage.
Speaker 2: I think so, and hopefully it does not happen to you. But if it does, stay calm.
Speaker 1: One other thing though, If the breathing does not return to normal within several minutes or ten to fifteen minutes, go to the hospital because you have like a frated, fractured rib or a collapse long totally something worse could have happened, but that's how you tell.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, I have a tailbone bruise from the spring break, like two and a half weeks ago that just will not go away.
Speaker 1: Man, those hurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's just every time I'm sitting for a while and I get up and walk, I just feels like someone's stabbing me in my right butt cheek.
Speaker 1: Oh, you need one of those inflatable donuts.
Speaker 2: I guess that would help. It's just I think that a deep tailbone brush just takes a long long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to gaway. You're gonna tell us how you got that. Was it through rope trauma?
Speaker 2: No golf cart injury, one of those deals. You know, golf carts when you're sitting there, they have the little handrail that's very hard on the side right by your hip. If your going to sit down and your golf cart buddy hits the gas and it just it just drove right into my butt bone. Oh my god. Yeah, I'm all right though.
Speaker 1: That's a great way to end this one, all right. Short stuffed out.
Speaker 2: Stuff you should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.