Speaker 1: Welcome to pod Meats Twirl, the podcast from two guys who had never seen an episode of Dancing with the Stars but took it on and walked away experts. So now we turn to Traders, another show I've never seen, but Will is convinced that he could win. We are Wilfred Ell and Ryder Strong, two best friends, won a TV expert, won a TV skeptic, Both dance scholars join us as we step into a castle full of lies, alliances, and over the top wardrobe choices. This is pod meets Twirled Trading Places. Yes, Will, you are uh, you are looking glorious.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you're talking about. I'm unaware of what's happening.
Speaker 1: I didn't get them. Oh oh wow, I did not get the memo that we are doing costumes.
Speaker 2: This is no I figured eventually, I'm always going to be the Trader and you're going to be Alan Cumming. So you're just going to be more fabulous every single show.
Speaker 1: And like, I gotta die my hair. Apparently like he's not doing just wardrobe, he's doing like makeup.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, where by the end, he's literally just wearing a yellow melted candle. It's the greatest thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so it's the best. We've ended up watching three episodes. We'll break them up in the three pod episodes. But because they were all dropped right off the bat, I feel like I was thrown into the deep end. You are, I spent three hours watching Traders, But.
Speaker 2: Tell me it wasn't a glorious three hours.
Speaker 1: You know it. It's pretty glorious. It's pretty glorious.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: There's one thing that's undeniable about the show is that it knows exactly what it is. Yep, and it's going for it. Oh yeah, all right, So I want to hear your background with the show, because we're in fourth season. Have you watched all the three previously? Okay?
Speaker 2: So I was told to start with season three, which is the last season, which is then how I knew, for instance, Dylan Ephron going into the Dance with the Stars. So no, I this is the second season I've ever watched I before. He was one of the winners. Yeah, more than one person can win. It's not just one winner. So he was a faithful or yes, well, I guess we can tell people. Yes, so he was a faithful okay, And it was one of those things where I forget who told somebody at iHeart I forget might have been produced guitar, might have been Amy, I can't remember who, but somebody was like, you should watch this Traders, and Sue and I were like, was it you?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Perfect? Thank you? And we didn't even have She gave us her link for Peacock to start. I've since gotten my own. But it was one of those things where and then it was like, that's how they get you, and it worked.
Speaker 1: The hooked well.
Speaker 2: It was one of those things where I said, Okay, I guess we'll watch this, and by three episodes in, Sue and I were not only hooked, but saying this is no business being as good as it is, and it's just so addictive and wonderful, and by I don't know the end of the credits of the second episode, I knew I could win the whole show.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, So I mean, I'm assuming I'm gonna assume everybody listening has a general sense of what Traders are but or what Traders is, but let's just go over it as quickly as possible to sort of lay the ground. It's essentially, from my point of view, the game Mafia, which is like a party game that I've played before, right, and then there's other variations on it, like where Wolf right Secret. Hitler is the Bord version that came out like I want to say, eight years ago that became super popular. And there are always these games where you're either one of the masses who are innocent and helpful in this case faithful or a villager, or you're a killer or a Mafia member or a werewolf for Hitler or something evil, and you won't you don't know who's who, so you sit around and you basically lie to each other's faces. These games make me so uncomfortable. My wife and I have made it a rule to never play them again because they're very in Hollywood, these are very popular games, and my wife and I are very into games, like we do running charades all the time. We host huge running trades. It's been a huge part of our relationship. Right when we started dating, we started going to running charades games and then started hosting them ourselves, and it's become a big, like a pillar of our community, to the extent that we played like one hundred person running tarrades game at our wedding. I know. Yeah, we've done it for charity. We do it at Sundance every year. It's become like a big part of our identity. But we also as part of our sort of gaming community of friends, we always get invited to Mafia and Wearwoth Knights and Secret Hitler games. And we've only played a couple of times. And the last time we played Secret Hitler, I want to say, was like eight years ago. And my wife is like, you very good at line, Yeah, very good at line when she wants to be, I am the exact opposite. I I cannot lie. I am. I get so tense, I get so emotional, and I get there, like the cognitive dissonance of look sking at somebody and not I can't do it. So within the last time we played, I just immediately caved. I was like, yeah, no, no, I'm an not say I can't because someone here. Wait. They confronted me. They're like, but wait, you just said this, and why did you say that. I was like, you're right, I'm totally I'm totally a fascist. I'm sorry, I just I can't do it. In that same game, my life played it so well that when we finished, the game was over and somebody was so pissed. They were like, you're actually a Nazi, You're actually a knot and like got in her face. Oh god, and Alex was like, we can't do this anymore, like this game, like these games are too emotional, and I'm like, great, because I hate these things. So so I would be horrible on traders. I couldnot take. I mean like i'd be a good faithful because again, what you're doing, what you're doing is a faithful.
Speaker 2: It's essentially you're a detective. You're trying to and that's the other thing. It's like a memory game too, because what did you say three days ago? Because that doesn't match up with what you just said now?
Speaker 1: And bah. So that I thank you. Be very good. But I would be terrified to be sitting there. And I feel like everybody on this show is so excited to be a trader, like that's all they want to do, right, I'm not that.
Speaker 2: I think i'd want to be a faithful as much as as much as I can wear the.
Speaker 1: Hell out of a cloak.
Speaker 2: I think I think i'd want to be a faithful because I want to be able. Is that you're a sociopath who wanted to. Oh, I didn't say I wouldn't be great as being a trader, because I would. I had the same thing I told Sue when we first got together. And obviously this is not a conversation you should ever have to have with your partner. But because I'm an actor, because of the way I am, because I am incredibly good at lying, I said to her, I said, I'm never ever going to lie to you because I'm really good at it, You'll never know. And it's like, and I don't ever want to do that, So I'm never ever going to lie, and I haven't. So it's it's one of those things where because I am, I can just I mean again, I smoked for for how many years without my parents ever knowing, and started smoking pot when I was young without anybody ever knowing. Everyone blames my parents, and it's like, no, I was a master at hiding that shit.
Speaker 1: See, I never really knew this part of you, having known you, you know, since I was thirteen and you were sixteen. I always thought of you as just a great storyteller, you know, a funny performer, obviously a good improviser like there's but I've actually only seen it in action, where in public you took on a character and stuck with it. When we got into a cab, the uber and the woman we were on tour with our with the Podmets World, and we were in town to do a live show, and the woman, the woman driving, asked us what we were in town for, and I forget why you decided to do this. We somehow said that, but you were like, Oh, we're in town because of a podcast that we've created, and rather than telling the truth, you decided to do it a podcast all about crabs and crab fishing. And we were like what. Danielle and I were in the back seaquing where's this going? And then she was like, really crap, Oh I know, why were we somewhere where crabs are?
Speaker 2: Maybe I honestly don't remember where we were. I think he's playing yes, But.
Speaker 1: For a twenty thirty minute ride, she kept asking questions and you kept be answering them, and I kept waiting for you to be like, I can't do this, I'm so sorry. I'm just kidding, because I was getting increasingly uncomfortable with the deceit, even the harmless deceit that we were making up a different podcast that we were in town to promote. Do you remember what you started throwing from the backman? I wanted to make you cave, I said yeah. I said, well, we were working on the theme song in the flight over you want to sing the theme song for? And you didn't bat at I and did it? You did it?
Speaker 2: I called it in the Pot was the name of the podcast we did, And what was the theme song? Was like, We'll give you what we are, We'll give you what we got, We'll give you what we are because we were in the pot and I was like singing the thing as we were going on. I'd also like to point out out as a fan of Deadly as Catch. I'd like to say that not a single fact that I told her was incorrect. Everything I told her about all the different species of crab and everything, all of them were everything I told her.
Speaker 1: The only thing I lied about was everything else. All right, Well, I've i've as a reality show watcher. I've really only watched Survivor of shows in this vein, and mostly I got into it because of the survival factor, which no longer is really they don't even do on Survivor anymore now, Survivors has become. Yeah, it's mostly strategy. They don't really focus on Like if you watch the early seasons, they really focused on, you know, how do you build a fire? That's what I seed the season season two pretty much, I'm as far as I understand that the contestants are still dealing with that, but they don't focus on in their coverage. It's mostly people coming in and strategizing how to manipulate one another form. But even that one has much more of a physical component to you know, there's a physical challenge thing. The puzzles that they do, uh Traders is very interesting because it's most just social manipulation presentation, and the challenges are somewhat physical so far that I've noticed, they're not quite the point. The point is about who you pick to help you in a challenge, how you screw somebody over. And the money seems almost beside the point, like they're running around getting money, but it's not a whole lot, and no one seems to really care about that.
Speaker 2: And it also it's it's for somebody who deals with anxiety. You would think this is exactly the place I wouldn't want to be because it's one of those things where you are you're you have to listen to what everything everybody says, and you're second guessing what everybody says and are they really my friend?
Speaker 1: Are they not?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, it is absolute aci.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Now let me tell you what is not my nightmare? The setting. I love a good castle, a beautiful challenge and cloaks all the like Druid inspired wicker mass styles. YEA love it. This is there's a bookcase with a hidden like engines. Yeah. I was made for this setting. So I am into that way more than I would say him survivor, you know, tropic.
Speaker 2: I googled it is. It is apparently twenty like twenty five minutes outside of Inverness.
Speaker 1: Oh you know, everybody's trying to get it there now. Yeah, I mean that's it's a gordiful castle.
Speaker 2: And again then then you've got one of the most fabulous hosts in the history of the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Alan Comming. I've seen him on stage a couple of times. He's one of these legendary, legendary actors who doesn't often get to do his own accent. No, it really does have that Scottish accent, and man, he is letting it, letting it fly?
Speaker 2: Was I with you in New York when we saw him at you and I were having lunch somewhere and then he came in a full lime green with the tiny little dog on the leash? Was I want to say that you and I were together when we saw him?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that's so. Yeah, that's right. He had like a fool like a like an overcoat that was clean and a hat too, I think, yeah, of course, So this really is kind of his style to be this.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, to be this fabulous and it's and it works.
Speaker 1: I wonder what happened first then did they create the show like for him or did they just kind of have this idea for the show? And then I don't know, you know, I think there's a UK version.
Speaker 2: I think this is all based on a UK version which is older, which I don't know if he hosts that one as well, because I've only seen the American version. But yeah, it's awesome.
Speaker 1: All right, Shall we get into the cast? Heck? Yes, all right? So everybody is driven to a castle in the middle of Scotland, I guess outside Inverness, and this season a lot of people I have no idea who anybody is not gonna lie I have culturally disabled Yep. All right, let's start with Candice Dillard Bassett, a real housewive of the Potomac. Don't know who that is.
Speaker 2: I don't know who that is either. No, never never seen this person before.
Speaker 1: Colton Underwood who was on the back. Was he the bachelor at one point? Yeah, okay, maybe I don't know.
Speaker 2: Didn't know him either, Caroly I think he's a football player who then came out as gay.
Speaker 1: I believe. Oh, I think he was a professionelor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even though he's gay, he didn't come he came out after Okay, So he was a football player and then he was a bachelor and then he came out as gay.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. Okay, Wow, that's a that's a.
Speaker 2: Series of progression. Yeah, it's a progression, definitely.
Speaker 1: Caroline Stanbury, Real Housewives of Dubai. No, Donna Kelcey. I'd heard of Donna Kelcey. I had not heard of Donna Kelcey. But I've heard the name Travis and Jason. That's what I should say.
Speaker 2: All people there's sportsball people and he's married to singer lady are going to.
Speaker 1: Be Yeah, exactly Eric Knaum is a singer songwriter who I have no idea and now we're going to look him up. Dorinda Medley another real housewife. There's a lot of housewives coming.
Speaker 2: I knew Dirinda only because she was the first person kicked off of the last season.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. Oh so they said that, right, And.
Speaker 2: I know watches some of these housewives, so she knew some of them.
Speaker 1: Okay, Ian Terry from Big Brother. Nope. Johnny Weird an Olympic figure skater. I knew Johnny.
Speaker 2: You know Johnny whare No?
Speaker 1: When was he in the Olympics? Like how long? Nineties?
Speaker 2: I want to say, But he's he's become very well known because he and Tara Lepinske, who's also on the show as a skater. Yeah. Uh, they are like co hosts of all the Olympic events. So like the big the big one of the faces of the Olympic ice skating right now for like on location with my they are and he's always got these really fabulous So he's a two time Olympian in two thousand and six and twenty ten. Wow, not the radies, and so he's always got like Alan Cumming, he's always decked out in all this pretty amazing stuff. And he's really funny, like legitimately funny.
Speaker 1: Kristin Kish is a pop chef. You must know she know her, she's ours.
Speaker 2: Now she's a house She was a contestant, okay, cool, and then she went from being a contestant to taking over for pad Malakshmi. And we love pad Mlashmie. We're like, no one's going to replace Padma. And then Kristin came in and we actually like her more interesting and she is and again I know it's not about looks, of course, not because she's funny and smart, but she's arguably one of the best looking women I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 1: You know what, she extricts me. She's beautiful, but she's also very cool. Yeah, super cool. She's like, man, I sort to hang out with you, like you seek cool.
Speaker 2: I met her at D twenty three and I literally walked up and I was like, my wife and I love you, and she's like, oh, thank you very much because and she was as cool there.
Speaker 1: I appreciate like the idea because I mean, I guess maybe chefs are just kind of cool in general, but like she just doesn't give off host vibes, which I was intrigued. I was like, she's a host and so laid back and yeah cool, great Top Chef host. Lisa Rinna a real housewife of Beverly Hills.
Speaker 2: I knew her because she was an actress. I think she's married to Harry Hamlin and she was on I think a soap opera for years and years and years. People also don't like her very much. I don't think as a housewife. I think she's like one of the hated housewives. I think, but I've never seen an episode in my life. Oh, apparently everybody loves her. Sorry, I have no idea. Oh but she's no longer on. Yeah, no idea, all right.
Speaker 1: Mark Ballas hey Holder, frame Mark older, frame mark a. Yeah. So Dancing with the Stars. Great to see him on here. I really did love him on this last season. Came to really appreciate his choreography. And yeah, it seemed like he was with who had a great work in Whitney. That's right. They had a really I mean they got really close. I mean I feel like they were contenders. Maura Higgins Nope Island. Oh but you I thought you were a Love Island person.
Speaker 2: I am but there's thirty seven seasons of Love Island, and they're ninety five episodes a season, so we got like three seasons in and bout out. So I doubt that she had we ever saw her, no idea that was. But she's bringing a lovely accent. Do you think sot into the accent?
Speaker 1: All right? Michael Rapp Report actor, I've known him forever, you know, it was a huge fan of when I was a teenager, The movie Beautiful Girls. I don't remember no, Oh my god. For whatever reason, that was one of those movies there's like a whole series of movies where we're like people going home for the holidays and like in her twenties, reflecting on their adolescence. That was a really good one, kind of a forgotten masterpiece. And Michael rapp Report is so good in that movie. Really, I've never really liked him in anything else.
Speaker 2: Oh really, he was great in Oh God, what's the one with Brad Pitt. It's the whole huge cast. It was one of the first ones that Quentin Tarantino wrote but didn't direct. Oh It's Gonna Kill Me. True Romance, True Romance.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I haven't seen that for ages. I don't even remember him in that.
Speaker 2: He was the he was Brad Pitt's roommate, who actually is the the actor. Yeah, and he was great and Higher Learning too, he played the crazy skinhead and Higher Learning which was another good movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean maybe I just haven't seen much of his career beyond Beautiful Girl, but I always associated with Beautiful Girls. Wonderful movie. All right, monet exchange for RuPaul's drag race no idea. Natalie Anderson from Survivor I actually do know. Okay, this is she's She was also on Amazing Race, okay with I think she did Amazing Race with her sister. I think that's where she started, and then she ended up going on Survivor. I love her, love her. At one episode she just came out wearing a bra and a jacket.
Speaker 2: Yep, that was It was literally a joke on Seinfelm like she's just wearing a bra and I was like, what did she In.
Speaker 1: General, the Trader's clothing thing is a real.
Speaker 2: Called Traders The Land of Stupid Hats is what the name of this show.
Speaker 1: She had and fuzzy sweaters, lots of fuzzy It's like the textures are textures and colors. I'm sitting there. I was like, by episode three, I'm like, well, this is just like we're gonna look back in like twenty years and be like, man, the twenty twenties were crazy. Look, you know the same way that we do, like when we see like insane late sixties early seventies outfits of people war on TV, and then it like goes through periods where it gets more subdued. You know, we're like, but we're in a crazy We're in a keycocking period, Like everybody is just let me go nuts, and this show is the epitome of that.
Speaker 2: That's what scared me when I first watched it. I was like, well, I don't have the outfits to be on this show. And then I saw Rappaport walk on with like his regular shirt on. I'm like, okay, I'll be fine.
Speaker 1: You'll be that guy. Yeah, I'll be fine, all right. Portia Williams another Real Housewives. I mean, so how many housewives sleep?
Speaker 2: It seems like they did that last year too. They had a lot of housewives, a lot of survivor. I guess they're just called not the housewives, but the survivor and uh, like Big Brother people. I guess they're just called gamers. I guess Love Island technically are gamers.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: The other one that no one from this season but the last two seasons was the Challenge on MTV.
Speaker 1: Right right, okay, right, all right? Rob Cesternino was from Survivor. But I must have missed this season because I don't know who he is.
Speaker 2: I don't know either, Rob. She was really smart too.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Yeah, which is what he was, right to get rid of him? All right, Rob Rousch from Love Island. You know you didn't know that one either. Ron Funches. I do know who he is after, comedian, very funny guy. Yep uh. Stephen Colletti from One Tree Hill.
Speaker 2: Sue said she knows him from something else too. It wasn't just and Laguna Beach, that's but One.
Speaker 1: Tree Hill was like late nineties, early aunts, right I think?
Speaker 2: So? Yeah, Hill was a regular show, right, yeah, like it's a show show.
Speaker 1: It wasn't. It wasn't a reality show. It was a show. No, it's it's the show that Leon Norris was on.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: Orris was a part of that. He played mouth. I've never seen it. I mean multiple people who worked on it or were on it. But so he's kind of like a contemporary of Bars. Okay, cool, yeah, all right. Tara Lipinsky another Olympic figure skater. You know who she is? I do not.
Speaker 2: She was and she's Johnny Weir's partner. Now she's terrible. Pinske I think was the gold medal. She was a gold medalist, like she won the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Cool. Tiffany Mitchell from Big Brother, No Clue. And then Jam Jam from Survivor, who I did actually know I season he won apparently, which this was news to me, but I definitely watched the beginning of his season. I think it might have been the last might have been the last season. Anyway, I had watched the beginning of it, but my family finished it without me, so I knew who he was, all right, going in based on what you knew, any predictions, any people you were behind saying this is this is my person, I'm rooting for them now.
Speaker 2: I was rooting for Kristen Kish and for Mark Ballast because I know them. But no, I have no idea whatsoever who I was going to like or who I wasn't or none.
Speaker 1: How about you, because you had survivor of people. Yeah, I came in. I was like, Natalie's Natalie's got a good shot and I'm still I was like, I think because she has a way of being very forceful and very strong, but not obnoxious like she doesn't she does and bug people, and I was like, that's a good position to be in, you know, which I think has played out a little bit not she hasn't spoken up that much. And then I was rooting for Mark Ballast just because I liked him with the stars, and I was like, yeah, this will be cool. But I kind of also thought jam Jam had a has a good shot, has had a good shot, I feel less so after watching the first three, well he's really he's like really likable, and if he ends up being a trader, I was like, Oh, he's going to be able to get away with it.
Speaker 2: I also thought Donna Donna Kelsey really had a shot only because and they mentioned it on the first episode. No one would want to vote against her because of the Swifties, right, they're an army. It's like if you sneeze in her direction, they want to kill you. So no, everyone even alluded to the fact where they're like I don't want to vote against her because so she had a legitimate shot. I thought of taking the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Wow, Wow, you were wrong. I know, I'll say, I guess everybody. I couldn't believe the way that all that went down. All right, let's get into this. Yeah. Episode one, they introduce all the players outside of the castle. We got flames, then we got this new thing, which I mean, all of this was new to me, but this notion of a secret trader. Oh, brilliant idea, really great idea. Now that I've watched three episodes with the Secret Trader, I don't know how this show works without the Secret Trader because part of the phone was not knowing who the trader was, like exactly, yes, man, I was. I was. I was sitting there guessing constantly based on people's behavior. And I feel like that's a really cool wrinkle that they're gonna have to keep up because it was it was pretty fun great anyway, So all the all the contestants went up one by one. Alan Cummings showed off a card box that he opens up and one of them see is that they're a trader. We find out who that is in episode three, but once the trader was chosen. They all go into the castle. They get to mingle. No windows in this castle, by the way, you know, it's like you got everything out of bock, everything out.
Speaker 2: They also allude several times to how hot it is in there. You heard them say, like, it's so hot in here, so they're probably blocking off everything.
Speaker 1: It's stifling. There's lights everywhere.
Speaker 2: They're all caked in makeup, with all that fabulous outfit. They're all probably sweating profusely in there as they're doing their show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then getting drunk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like there's probably some some alcoholics.
Speaker 1: Good food. Yeah, all right. Yeah. So then they sit around a table and they put on their blind folds, and the traders are chosen. So this is the way traders are usually chosen, right, correct? Okay, so yeah, this is all the same. They get a little tap on the shoulder, which is very tense, very tense. This would be my nightmare. This is why I would be sweating bullets, and which is so you would not want the tap.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, no, no, please don't tap me.
Speaker 1: Please don't let me be honest and upfront and building alliances based on you know, but even that's stressful because as the show goes on, I'm like, I, no one knows shit, man, Now do you know if someone's lying?
Speaker 2: You don't.
Speaker 1: And I'm so trusting. If someone looked me in the eyes and was like, rider, I am a faithful, I don't. I just I would just be like, Okay, okay, I shall believe you. Yeah, I believe you.
Speaker 2: But you can also tell Alan. You know, he has those preliminary interviews with everybody before the roundtable, and I saw especially more last year than this year. Last year there's a bunch of people like, I want to be a faithful I really want to be a faithful I want to root out traders, whereas this year you got more people going like I'd be the best trader in the world. I don't know what I'd tell him other than you're fabulous and don't wear stupid hats like everybody else is wearing.
Speaker 1: Well. I wonder how they make this decision, because this is the central decision of Oh and then I have another question, are there more traders as that as the season goes on, there can be if if traders would betting picked off one at a time, they can also have the ability to go instead of murdering somebody, saying you either die tonight or you become one of us.
Speaker 2: So it's like they there's times where they can go to murder somebody and instead turn them, So.
Speaker 1: The traders get to decide if they want to not murder somebody.
Speaker 2: And no, it's not the traders like they'll come back Like last year, Alan would come into the tower and be like everyone, what happen And he'll say, like, you can either kill this person tonight or you can turn them to the traders. And then they've got to you know, the fun part, and I'm sure it'll happen at some point, is when the traders start turning on each other. I mean that's when they're they're throwing each other under the bus dating.
Speaker 1: Could they technically murder each other?
Speaker 2: No, but they can get themselves. They can have one of the other people eliminated.
Speaker 1: Wait, Tars saying yes at the roundtable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the round table. They can they can banish somebody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you can sell the trades, right, so they could banish somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they can't murder somebody, but they can banish somebody.
Speaker 1: But now do the traders always have to agree on who they're murdering or is it just I think so because there's been Yeah, yeah you do, but like a lot of them don't.
Speaker 2: It's usually like two out of three vote and ones upset with the decision, like that's happened many times. Yeah, I'm also wondering. So Sue and I were talking about it, like a lot of the logistics where it's how do they how do they guarantee nobody sees the traders leaving the building to go to the tower.
Speaker 1: Well, obviously they have cameras everywhere. Well, but that's that's my other question.
Speaker 2: Is is it like do you hear, you know, an announcement like all right, everybody's stay in your room. Nobody's allowed to leave your room for them.
Speaker 1: You heard there's a dong At one point there was like a thing telling them to go to bed.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so I'm wondering if that's what it is. It's like you're not allowed to leave, you're not allowed to do anything. Because we're just wondering the legit and exactly what you were saying, do does Alan coming get to pick who they are? Are all the producers deciding who who's going to be the Trader. I mean, my guess is the producers sit around and they figure out who they.
Speaker 1: Want to pick. They don't stay in the castle. What, Yeah, they're not actually like jumping there. They go to a hotel. Yes, every night. That's so sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so when they walk upstairs to bed, they're not really walking upstairs to bed.
Speaker 1: No. And those those glamorous shots of them in like their room or the bathtub like we saw Dylan like shirtless and every scene last week.
Speaker 2: All did last season was work out with weights at twelve o'clock at night, and it's like, why are you doing sit ups?
Speaker 1: So they were faking that. It's definitely like, it's definitely yeah, they're okay. I was curious because whenever they like walked out to get murdered, I was like, where are they? Where are they walking into a room with a chair, you know, like the geography never quite made sense to me. So, all right, so they don't stay at the castle. You're upset about this. I am a little upset.
Speaker 2: I'm no, I want to go. I still want to go on the show, but not as much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can stay to Radison here, probably a nicer spot than the ratis. Yeah, probably okay, So it's raison, all right, Candice, Lisa and Rob R. Robert. I had no feelings about any of this because who any of them were. I didn't either, but they were all stoked. Yeah, them, we're stoked.
Speaker 2: And is there a reason why? Candice through most of the first episode was dressed like a flight attendant from nineteen seventy. It was like she was dressed like a PanAm flight attendant from the seven was like, what.
Speaker 1: Are you wearing? That's kind of a vibe throughout all of them because I'm trying to in the last.
Speaker 2: Time they picked their own outfits. Of course they do. Nobody's picking that but her.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And then there was the one woman they Stansberry, who was had borrowed the jacket from the lead singer of Talking Heads, the huge jacket she was wearing, and then everyone went to dumb hat store. It was it was an interesting, interesting first episode.
Speaker 1: I mean, I dig the amount of money just on their clothing, Like these are like thousands of dollars in outfits that these but they must bring their own is what she is? What? Yeah? They so? I mean they they're showing up with a It's a lot. I'd be sponsored by Target. It's all my clothes would be from Target. Yeah, all right. We we met up in the turret where the traders took.
Speaker 2: Their Wait, I have a question for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: For so they're picked around table and they're in the blindfold. The second they say take your blindfold off, would you rip your blindfold off to then stare at everybody to see if anybody had a weird reaction? Or do you think that would draw too much attention to yourself for then people thinking, oh, he's overdoing it, he's obviously a trader.
Speaker 1: No, I would, well, I don't know. I would definitely. I can't see. This is why I'd be so bad. I would just do it. I would just look at everybody, but I don't think I would get any answers, right Like. My takeaway so far from the show is that there's just no way to read people right like, and maybe I'm just horrible at it, but I have been consistently wrong in my predictions. Right, absolutely, everybody right, because because we don't know who the secret trader is, so I haven't seen there going like.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I called that from I called that from step one. But I also, oh god, of course of course because it's party.
Speaker 1: It was perfect. It was perfect. But you're just thinking like a producer then, or were you reading the situation. No, no, no, totally just thinking like a producer. No, had nothing to do with how they were all thinking, apparently because they were right, and I was sitting there going, poor Donna, there's no way. Oh see, that's I'd be so bad this game.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, that was so that's what I was thinking, was because as I said that, I was sitting here watching Sue and I was like, oh, first thing I would do, rip off my blindfold and stare around the table, see if I can catch somebody smiling or something. And she's like, no, the second you do that, they're gonna think you're over doing it. And then now you've drawn attention to yourself because you can also just get banished. So if everyone's like I saw you at the table and I felt like you were so that's all other things.
Speaker 1: You also just don't want to be annoying, like you just realized that like a lot of times, they're just voting out people like like Michael Rappaport is not long for this castle, and it's because he's just bugging the crap out of everybody. It's like, you know, even knowing he's not a I was kind of thinking he was the secret Trader.
Speaker 2: Because I thought so maybe for a brief second there, and then I was like, he can't be. He's just doth protest too much.
Speaker 1: He's just like, dude, it's not about you, calm down. But he's just manages to like make everything about him and just like I'm a true I'm a hunter, I'm a trader, hunt, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, suck, I'm a trader and you know it, clap your hands. I was like, I hope they vote him off even if they don't think he's a trader. At this point, they go to the turret, so they're picked those three or picked.
Speaker 1: Right, they're happy about it. I guess they picked the right people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think there would have been anybody there that would have been unhappy to if you picked to be a trader. I don't think you go on that show if you only want to be a.
Speaker 1: Faithful right, So, which is why I should not go on the show. You'll be fine when we're there.
Speaker 2: I'll take care of you or i'll take carry you all right.
Speaker 1: The next day the first mission coffins floating in a lock and lock they got to throw out in groups, pick up coffins, bring them back and throw the I mean this amazing.
Speaker 2: There's what a hundred coffins in the lock and some of them are dollar signs, in some of them an ex's. So if you find a dollar sign, you have to hook it up to your boat and bring it all the way back to the shore. And you thought that's all you had to do and then throw it in, but no, then of course there's the other twist, which is you have to put it in the coffin.
Speaker 1: You have to put it in the ground, in the grave of one of your fellow people, get a pool from which they can be murdered. They can be murdered. So it's even that right, So that's where, Yeah, it's the psychological factor that you know, because the physical challenges don't seem that hard. It's not like on Survivor. It's like real you know, they're like climbing, they have to work in teams and do crazy physically exhausting things. This is like not that hard, But there's always a psychological element, right, like how are you going to you know, choose your group turn on people you know from the other team or from the other boats. Yeah, a lot of chaos. I couldn't really keep up with, like who was with who at this point it felt a little muddy muddy for me, like I just I just couldn't tell you, like.
Speaker 2: I don't think there was any who's doing. I don't think there was because there was no There was no real rhyme or reason to it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's just kind of like you grab the thing, you go and then you throw it into the ground.
Speaker 1: So they weren't working in teams even though they were. I don't know. It was confused. But wasn't there drama atwards? Yes, because they're this like question whether Michael Rappaport had said put it in one of the housewives, which.
Speaker 2: I thought he did, was I thought you did.
Speaker 1: I was going crazy because they keep acting as if he didn't say it.
Speaker 2: And I thought he did, yeah, and Susan said he didn't, and I was like, no, he did.
Speaker 1: He said put it in one of the housewives.
Speaker 2: And then somebody said no, we don't. We're not just going to target the housewives like I could have sworn he said that.
Speaker 1: I am so with you dude. Okay, so confused by this good because I was like, wait, like when when Candice like backed down from that, I was like, but but he did. He did say thanks. I thought the same thing. So were we both having like a Mandela effect here?
Speaker 2: Maybe she I don't know. I'll have to go back and watch it again. I could have sworn he said something about putting it in the ground in one of the Housewives.
Speaker 1: Man, I was so yeah, I just like totally like got gas lip by the conversation me to the next two episodes that I was like, oh, I guess he didn't say it, and she really was just being you know, manipulative by bringing it up in the car. No, but okay, sort of God, he said it. I thought he said it. Yeah. Otherwise it felt pretty random. Who ended up with a grave? You know? And yeah, you know they they were just marked for death apparently.
Speaker 2: But there's a couple of people remember where it was, like, was it Mark? It might have been Mark Ballas who they had to go out of their way to make. He even said, He's like, well that wasn't convenient, Like you had to walk like three back to put it in in his thing.
Speaker 1: So it's like, why are you picking?
Speaker 2: And by that point I don't think he'd spoken a word since the beginning of the show.
Speaker 1: Yes, very subdued. I actually am concerned. I was like, he's not speaking up enough. But also maybe that's the way to go play under the redit car.
Speaker 2: Yes, let them get to separate the wheat from the chaff, kind of get to where you got it, because the.
Speaker 1: Strong personalities are already getting on my nerves exactly, and.
Speaker 2: They're going to be voted on. Yeah, just yes, this dude. The second thing I have soron is on you. It's like, you know, oh, so you got to make sure there's this hands over here, so then you're just over here, just nice quiet, yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, all right. So in the car on the way back from the challenge is where this drama with Candace and Portia and man Candace is a lot.
Speaker 2: I also don't think she's particularly good. She's not No, I don't think she's particularly good. She doesn't remember what she said yep. And yeah, Porscha is also truly horrible at this game. Awful.
Speaker 1: There's a couple of people that are not good, Like, I mean, she got voted out and I was like I would have voted for you, and I knew she wasn't. Well I guess she could have been a secret trader, but I was like, oh, yeah, vote for her because she's slipped slipped of the tongue saying we killed what you're saying twice and you have every opportunity to defend yourself and you don't really have a good defense. So anyway, but Candace and Candace decided to like tell this maybe a lie, but you and I.
Speaker 2: The truth.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, anyway.
Speaker 2: Then Maura is another one because when they said said, hey, well, Maura, you were in the car.
Speaker 1: What did she say?
Speaker 2: She's like, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: No, I don't even remember being on the show, Like wait, what, I'm not here. It was weird. They were all sort of like backing down. Yeah, interesting, but I mean that's where like Rappaport was so confrontations, like what she said, what I'm gonna go talk right now?
Speaker 2: Yes, And so either he's the hell out.
Speaker 1: I love that one.
Speaker 2: I forget who it was who said it at the end. It might have been Rob c but one of them at the end was like, either you're the worst trader in the history of the world or you're a bad faithful like kind of either way you should go because you're it's it's one of the two and neither one of those are conducive to the game essentially, right, So it was, yeah, he's very grading.
Speaker 1: All right. They get back and have that little confrontation, and then the players go to bed. Traders get together, and now this whole aspect with a secret trader got to send them the list from which they chose super interesting because otherwise normally they would just be wide open, right, they could just pick whoever they wanted.
Speaker 2: From that from the list of whoever lost the game from the graveyard. Yes, so if they didn't get a shield in one of these things or something like that, then it's like, that's your pool to pick from. But normally in the ones I've seen the traders get together and here the five we can pick from. Who are we gonna pick?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And this that's not this time now it's and it makes sense too that the list they send has four because the secret trader also doesn't know who the regular traders are. So if they just picked the three traders, it's like, well, we can't murder anybody on that list, right, So that's why there's four people, because one of them has to at least be eligible to kill.
Speaker 1: Well, so here's a question, because this came up. One of the things that Porsche slipped up about was saying four traders, and is it always four? Is there a number of traders? Is it? I thought it was three. I thought it was three.
Speaker 2: But again they change because there's a secret trader, or they bring somebody in later, or maybe there's now there's just two after they kick somebody out. So I think the most there's gonna be as four, but I've seen as little as two and as many as four. I think normally it was three.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, the four people on the secret Traders list were rob are, Ian, Mark, and Eric. Rob Ar is one of the traders. Yeah, so he wasn't gonna I thought the trader's reaction to this was they didn't investigate them enough, because like, these were really interesting choices. They were kind of like bland and a little generic, yeah, like and it didn't seem based on anything strategy and anything. And I'm the traders were just kind of like, oh, well, I don't get it, and then they just picked one. But I would have taken more time to try and figure out who the secret trader was based on this list. I don't know if you would have been able to do that, But after the fact, I was like, why didn't they analyze that more? Like why didn't they say, like, who's picking just kind of these four dudes who haven't really stood out, like not anybody who's been annoying, not anybody you know. In retrospect, I don't know if there was much strategy. I think it was just kind of picking names out of a hat.
Speaker 2: You know what I was thinking about.
Speaker 1: It's so ridiculous.
Speaker 2: But you're obviously in this castle, you're killing time, you don't know what to do.
Speaker 1: People are playing chess.
Speaker 2: I would have gotten together a good old fashioned Hangman game and I would have played with everybody because then I get to see your handwriting and I would have been able to match it to whatever is on the list, and I would have instantly been like, Oh, that's that's a secret trader.
Speaker 1: Bam, right there, you're you're evil, my friend. I love it. I love it. I love it. Where's my cloak? No, we're good, all right. They decided to uh to murder ian Ian who's a gamer, which I guess makes sense.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna get rid of Eric, who I don't know who that is. I'm sure they don't either. I guess he's a singer songwriter.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it seemed pretty generically he has not made any ways. It's not like formed big alliances. That's obvious. No, I mean the housewives were the only people that really seemed banded together, right. I mean, I guess the two figure skaters, but they are intentionally avoiding each other. Remember he said, they're like, we're not gonna let every which is super smart. But the housewives keep actually voicing their alliance and their you know, allegiance to one another, which I think is a big mistake. Although I guess in the same and in the fact that two of them are writers, it's going to work in their favor.
Speaker 2: But I would like to know how far in advance, if at all, you know who else you're going to be on the show with, right, because my guess, because again I would think hopefully they don't let them know at all, because all you would do is if you google Tarle Penske, you would see that the skaters are together in all types of weather.
Speaker 1: They're best friends.
Speaker 2: So they would never be able to hide the fact that they weren't best friends Johnny were and Tarle Penske. You google one, you're going to find another, be like you googling me or Danielle. We're going to pop up on your feed at some point, right, So it's they're going to know. So my guess is because if you remember at the very beginning, there's a couple of people that are like, oh my god, you're here. I can't believe you're here. And I'm hoping they don't know who else is on the show until they get into the cars. That must be the case, right, because you don't because you'd be able to do too much research.
Speaker 1: Well, so we actually jumped ahead because at the end of this episode, we still didn't know who.
Speaker 2: They murdered, right, that's right, So we don't know who tech erase that maybe Ian isn't dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So something I had I thought about watching this show that was like compared to other reality shows, I guess Survivor being the one that I watched. I was fascinated by the age of the contestants. Everyone's a little older than most reality shows. This is definitely like, I mean, there's you know Mara and uh what's his name? Or the Love Islands were like the they're like the the young crowd. Everyone else is like middle aged, And I think it's smart because you want people with complexity, you want layers. Do you want people who are like you know, it's it's definitely not like the Love is Blind crowd where they're just like, let's make up, make up. So I thought that was super inch. It makes for a really cool dynamic because all these people have, you know, have very very interesting approaches. So far, I'm not a fan of canvas. I'm not either, be honest, but the Two Traders, I'm not super stoked on No, I'm not really like enjoying their villainy.
Speaker 2: Well, he's the guy Rob r.
Speaker 1: Yeah, has almost no personality. Yeah, that's but he's playing well, he's playing very well. But watching him, I know, it's like this guy there's almost like he doesn't even have any inflection when he speaks.
Speaker 2: Like this guy has no personality. It's weird.
Speaker 1: It's like, dude, how are you? I guess because.
Speaker 2: On Love Island, take off your shirt, make out with a good looking girl.
Speaker 1: That's he makes a joke. At one point he's like, I'm confused by what we're doing here taking off my shirt and I haven't. Yeah, that was the funny thing said the whole time. No, he's growing on me by by, but this first episode, I was like, why pick him to be a trader? It's it's a really boring choice. Yeah, and I and I I guess maybe the people that seem more uh sophisticated, like jam Jam Michael Rappaport would have been maybe too obvious, you know, the producers decided to Yeah, yeah, but yeah, this was uh, you know, this was a good episode. I'm definitely did it suck you in, brought you Oh yeah, oh yeah, totally. I'm you know, like we didn't get a roundtable, you know, which happens next episode, and so I really liked that. Seeing that brought the show fully together for me. Yeah, if I had just seen this, I probably would have been like, well it's good. Yeah, yeah, because you know, like I said, Canvas and Lisa are not like super No, I don't know, I'm just like, but you know, there's there's a lot of there's room to grow, there's room to grow.
Speaker 2: They also would have had you at Scottish Castle at least for at least for two episodes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's true. Yeah all right. Well that's it for this episode of Pod Needs Twirled. Alliances were tested, trust misplaced, and once again we are left with a cliffhanger. Join us next time as we continue our journey through season four of Traders, a show in which, as Shakespeare said in his Scottish play, fair is foul and foul is.
Speaker 2: Fair, did he say it with a stupid hat?
Speaker 1: Probably,