Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This He's Talking Cowboys, springing live from.
Speaker 4: The Dallas Cowboys World Course at the Star in Frisco. Take burgers here, let's dot Tis Teddy continentdown, and now.
Speaker 5: Your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 1: It's a Wonderful Wednesday edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the s w b C Studio. Welcome in, everybody. We've got the whole cast and crew ready for you to rock today with Patrick Nosey Walker, Josh Rodriguez back in the building. We've got Isaiah stand Back with Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeoman. So glad you're with us here on this wonderful Wednesday, which of course is going to be our Cowboys offensive preview as they get ready to take on the Philadelphia Eagles defense. I like you sure, Patrick, I just realized that you got one of those absolutely, where's mine?
Speaker 3: Fine?
Speaker 4: One?
Speaker 6: That's being he was.
Speaker 3: He was handing him out like dandy handing him out like candy.
Speaker 7: And then he saw me and he's like, oh yeah, not.
Speaker 6: That we need to find one for everybody.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 6: I agree.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have QB vision coming up in the next segment. Isaiah, stand back. I saw you down in the training table doing a little bit of film study.
Speaker 6: You saw me.
Speaker 3: I kind of like peeked around the corner.
Speaker 6: Freak you were down.
Speaker 7: Thankfully that's what was on your computer.
Speaker 5: It's giving and everybody sees me in there. I'll be in there getting my study on, you know what I mean, just perform it, trying to make sure that we make our family is the smartest ones in the room, you.
Speaker 3: Know, Isaiah.
Speaker 1: And instead of going to a coffee shop and studying out in public, he just sits here and let's like Dack walk in front of him.
Speaker 7: He's like that one muscle bound influencer. It's just like this ten thousand.
Speaker 5: It's like those old, like eighties and ninety sitcoms where someone's sitting at the computer, but it's not actually something on the screen.
Speaker 6: It's like a piece It's like paper with some fines on it. Right, bro.
Speaker 5: It's literally to the point now where all the coaches will mclay's scouts, they all come back, or what are we looking at today?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Now do you sew like sugarcoated?
Speaker 6: A little? Straight up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have some good conversations, not like, man, this secondary has been trash ship.
Speaker 3: You haven't done anything this week?
Speaker 6: Now, Okay, he's playing the Firefox Dinosaur Snake on his Nokia.
Speaker 1: Hey, what are we looking at today? And it's like he's just playing Mario Kart like some I love it all right, playing Gallagha.
Speaker 3: I'm back to Gallagher. I think your your microphones off there?
Speaker 7: Hello, I didn't touch it, beam, you didn't touch it as low there touch there you go, and we're playing Gallay building and now your microphone is just not one more?
Speaker 6: What the heck's wrong?
Speaker 3: If it's not one thing, it's the next thing. It's Grimlins, actually.
Speaker 1: The studio Grimlins. By the way, speaking of studios and speaking of trolls. We got to reveal what happened this last year because now that Josh is back.
Speaker 3: In the building, I have a bone to pick with you, sir.
Speaker 6: What you guys tricked us? The clapper.
Speaker 5: The fiasco that wasn't real, That was not real, and I thought it was one I was pretty got you pretty good.
Speaker 1: One thousand percent, and I thought, that's like the best practical, practical joke you could pull on somebody armless.
Speaker 6: It was hilarious.
Speaker 7: Well, it started as an innocent way of doing it, but Beam like took it to the next step because we were just messing with Isaiah and then it did the clap at the beginning of the episode and then be changed it. I was like, okay, we're doing this.
Speaker 6: Then you kept the whole time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, if you're into improv at all, yes, it's yes. And so I just kept going with it and uh, yeah, we got you guys pretty good.
Speaker 1: Here's when he started saying it changes cause like, oh crap, I haven't.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but but that was the part because we never talked about changing colors. I was like, no, so if you say the color and then you clapp like, it was hilariously and Beam and I were communicating the telepathy.
Speaker 6: Yeahs going here here was the tail.
Speaker 5: Eventually, this is where we started to think, like, probably did an idea later in the episode when the timing became off, so I figured it was like lights on the back end of the episode. It was like clap, clap, oh it didn't work. Clap clap, And it was because Beamer was back to.
Speaker 8: Like, oh crap, I've forgotten the bit.
Speaker 6: No, I had to switch pages on there. I had got them, dude. It was so funny. It was hilarious.
Speaker 1: My favorite part about it is Josh just like didn't even say anything at the end, and then once we all kind of got up, he goes, it's not real. He just goes, it's not but the clapper the one too. And I was even thinking in the middle of it, I was like, I feel like that's gonna be problematic at some point some show. Mickey Spagnola was going to be like, I can't believe that, and then that's going to change just like that, you know, Like I I knew there was gonna be something there.
Speaker 3: But man, good job, well done. Of course number one. I wanted to wait for you to get back in the building.
Speaker 7: More improv for for talking cowboys.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 5: And also, now that you're back in the building this Friday, we get to where our fanily.
Speaker 3: Yes, we did hoodies.
Speaker 6: Hoodies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, all right, Pat, let's get into some news and notes.
Speaker 5: Absolutely so, First and foremost, the cowboys did wave linebacker Damone Clark form a fifth round pick. Damon Clark, I mean he overcame the next fusion surgery, you know, to avoid his rookie season being a red shirt year. He came in when they really needed him in October of that season because of injury at the position. He got off to a fast, hot start there. You know, the potential was most certainly there, kind of thrived a bit, he was up and down, but had some thriving moments under DQ. But in the post Dan Quinn era, it's just not worked out for the Mohne Clark Mike Zimmer just did not find a way to utilize him. Things looked very, very good and promising for him in this year's training camp he was ebra Flus. Yeah, he was flying around, he was doing some things in training camp. But then the season started and not unlike marys Lea File, you know, just they got kind of pushed to the back as the Jack Sanborn variable came in and that was Eberflus's guy. And then now you add Logan Wilson to the mix and de Moon Clark was already not getting utilized. So I'm surprised. I'm surprised that that was the move instead of Sandborn. I do agree, because I feel like I do. A key gives you more than Sanborn gives you both agree the defense side and in a special team special I do agree. So I don't that move doesn't I don't understand if you're going to make a move at that position. I don't understand why you would choose him versus.
Speaker 7: Could they make a move with Simmoorn being on IR?
Speaker 6: I want you to put dmon on Ir. Well, he got that fingernail thing.
Speaker 3: That's what I was about to say. I was like, hold on, we got to make something up there.
Speaker 6: You know what I think?
Speaker 5: I think, and this is from I mean, I've had endless conversations with Demon from day one, him as a rookie, through this entire process, as recently as Monday ahead of the game, after the enactors came out, and he just his spirits were as high as they could be, but it just felt more and more like he was kind of dejected with not getting the opportunities and frustrated. And then I think, more so what kind of fracture the relationship between he and the organization, more than anything was after what happened with him and Mike Zimmer as far as just him not being able to get on the field. Here comes either flu a linebacker's coach, you a little bit more youthful, and then you know, da'mon is feeling like, okay, here we are and then it doesn't happen that way, and it's so deflating and it's so defeating. And I really think that Schattenheimer said it best when he said that he told him On he was like, sometimes you know, a fresh start somewhere else, it's just the best medicine. Now, sometimes that's just political speak, but in this particular case, actually do agree. I think Damon Clark needs a fresh start somewhere else.
Speaker 7: But that was a pretty final uh word to have on Damone Clark in his I guess his future here in Dallas, Like that was a pretty definite thing for Schottenheimer to say. I was surprised to hear him say something so definitive in that, like his future is elsewhere and not here with the Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he was waved in this scenario. He was waved so he could be brought back to the practice squad.
Speaker 7: I don't but I don't think that's that's not going to be especially after shot he's feels yesterday. But of course, with all respect in the world to dmon and what he's.
Speaker 5: I think it's also because in that conversation, whatever however that dialogue went, I think both sides understand that it needs to end. So even if he were to clear waivers, he's not interested in rejoining the press.
Speaker 6: So that's what I mean.
Speaker 5: Now with that, that frees up the spot that was needed for you want you want some good news because you do love your DTS. Perry and Winfrey is activated from injured reserve. So now we're talking about a defensive tackle rotations. Yeah, that's going from arguably the weakest up against the cornerback position at a certain point, arguably the weakest position on the team, to arguably the strongest. So walk with me now. So we got Quentinn Williams. Okay, we got Kenny Clark. Those guys are pretty good. We gotz oh, yeah, he's good. Got Solomon Thomas, Ad Perry On Winfrey, and then you got the rookie J Toya, who now gets to also get mentored by those guys that I just mentioned.
Speaker 1: Didn't J Toya? I have a sat Wait, no, that was James Houston. James, come on, he pay too much money to mix it. James Houston with j.
Speaker 6: Come on, Joe don't even look alike.
Speaker 5: But so yeah, So Perryon Winfrey, former All UFL team guy leader in tackle tackles at UFL.
Speaker 6: We all know about his emotional.
Speaker 5: Roster edition, I should say, because when they were doing the final roster cuts, he was under the belief that he had been cut. He went to Schottenheimer and he's very emotional and he's just like, ah, just give me a shot, and the whole time they're looking at him like, we didn't cut you. So it was turned out to be a fun, powerful story for a guy who's worked so hard to get to this point but then unfortunately got bit by the injury bug ends up on ir. So whenever he does play this season, which now he will, it will be his debut for the Cowboys at a position of strength.
Speaker 6: Now, so that rotation is just nast.
Speaker 7: That's so exciting for me, especially coming off of that. Was my guy tell me at a camp because I was so excited for him to finally get on the fifty three and I was in every facet. I was like this guy's on my fifty three no matter what.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 7: And to see him actually make the team and then to not play any snaps and since then has been tough to kind of like be on the cusp of waiting for him to return. And then now that, like you said that one of the strengths of your defense is now the defensive line, the interior defensive line at that I mean you had also digg Z with Quinn Williams grade top five overall in your defensive is good over the entire league of last week?
Speaker 6: Did you guys know that seems good?
Speaker 3: It's pretty impressive.
Speaker 6: It seems good.
Speaker 7: Also, diggi zo graded out at a ninety point six sounds good to me. Winning Williams graded out in ninety point two best for two and four pff pff yeah, amazing.
Speaker 5: What's your what's your starting off starting defensive line? In second string defensive line?
Speaker 1: You're talking about dtackles specifically or across the cross the board?
Speaker 6: Oh, so four and I got two ds for down linemen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna go four.
Speaker 1: Okay, Man's Clark and william on the inside. Will Yeah, I'm throwing and probably so osa second string. I see this is what I'm toy with.
Speaker 6: I would I would toy with Osa at at edge.
Speaker 7: I would throw him out there as a five me that last week you wanted on the edge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he didn't really do a whole lot of you.
Speaker 5: Williamste is coming. It's coming along, Quinn Williams. And then there's Kenny Clark both interchange between one and the three.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah for me.
Speaker 5: Jadeveon Clowney, that's his run stopping ability and he's doing it. He's doing a relatively good job at a pass rush.
Speaker 1: You can tell he's ramped up now. Yeah, he's he's playing back to what you kind of wanted to see.
Speaker 6: And his football IQ is there, Yes, very much. It's incredible.
Speaker 5: So Jadevion Clowney is at one of the ends and is playing at the five mm throw Osa five call it quinnin at the one yet and he had the three? All right, I'm sorry. Yeah, you guys are what I'm saying. And then you have and then your second wave, your second wave, Dante Fowler, Donovan Azeraku at the ends okay, interchangeable with James Houston. He rotate through there, and then you have Perry on Winfrey and Solomon Thomas two words.
Speaker 1: Hell, isn't it crazy that we were in training camp and Josh, I give you credit for this. We were talking about Perry On Winfrey coming off the street, signing as a free agent and immediately being thrust into a second or third spot on that defensive line. We didn't know what Solomon Thomas was going to be.
Speaker 7: Of course you didn't know what j was, but you didn't know how he was going to contribute in this defense.
Speaker 6: That age, right, And so.
Speaker 1: With all of that being said, now you're looking at Perry On Winfrey as a fifth or sixth option on your defensive interior as opposed to a second or a third option.
Speaker 3: That shows just how much this entire group has.
Speaker 6: Grown healthy six months.
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable to class not even six months, it's more like four months, and it's just completely revamped two.
Speaker 7: Weeks, you know, like you considered the trade being the biggest piece of it all to really uh solidify that defensive line.
Speaker 6: It's crazy and no snap, and that's what happened.
Speaker 3: Any other news and nodes, Patrick.
Speaker 5: Yes, the Cowboys did wave h Wesley French from the practice squad.
Speaker 6: He was a center. He's he'd only been here a few weeks.
Speaker 5: He had arrived a couple of weeks or so before the BI week, so no real traction there. They saw they needed to see or didn't see what they wanted to see, so they waved him uh. And then they waved injured tight end John Stevens Junior, who was still on IF so they waved injured him with a settlement. So now John Stevens Junior, once he finishes getting back healthy, he'll have an opportunity with another team. And I agree with you, Isaiah, I hate that the end came for John Stevens Junior and the fashion in which it did.
Speaker 6: He just not stay healthy. His body just not work with him.
Speaker 5: After such a promising rookie training camp in preseason first two training camps for you would you would have loved to see what he could have contributed to his Titans room, But unfortunately, John Stevens Junior, he's no longer with the Cowboys in any capacity. So John Stevens Junior, all I can say is get healthy and go continue to pursue your dream man, because the talent is absolutely there.
Speaker 1: Ye just has to stay healthy, man, John Stephens Jr. And then you talk about de Moon Clark. Those are two really good dudes that that the Cowboys had to move on from people and good people that were in this locker room and that were very beneficial to the locker room.
Speaker 5: I really hated for John Stevens because he doesn't get the mentorship and coaching and development from London Wells anymore. That's like it's one thing to have talent. Really, he spoke very highly of very highly of him, and everybody who comes into that room develops just one of the most undervalued, from my perspective, one of the most undervalued position coaches in the league.
Speaker 6: I agree, and.
Speaker 5: There hasn't been enough of an emphasis they did almost losing.
Speaker 6: Hasn't been enough.
Speaker 5: But one of the only guys that came on position of coaches in this league and developed by a hand they held. They're holding onto him because of his the work that he puts in into that room. So I hate that John Stevens, even though he'll have other opportunities, I highly doubt that he'll be able to go somewhere where somebody cares as much as Linda does.
Speaker 7: Invaluable for sure, you can't really put a price on what he's able to contribute, and uh, you saw that more like you see the progression of like brevn svan Ford and his blocking ability. We've talked about it so far, and honestly, we're one of the only podcasts to really bring him up on a pretty consistent basis because we sort of see that. I mean, if you're watching tape, you see what he's able to watch tape.
Speaker 6: We do on occasion.
Speaker 3: He plays so downhill. He's a big dude, a big freaking dude.
Speaker 1: But the way that he has a nasty finish with his blocking, you can you don't. You don't, I mean, you can't teach that, but you have to want to. He's doing that up himself, Like he wants that physicality, he wants the smoke and I really did catch and he can.
Speaker 7: Catch and his yards after catch. Man, Come on, don't like.
Speaker 5: Just a high talent, high ceiling guy whose body has just been betraying him in his young NFL career.
Speaker 3: He's talking about John Stevens.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so that's what I mean.
Speaker 5: I'm really hoping that that, you know, he can stay healthy and if he can stay healthy, if he lands somewhere with the right type of coaching, Yeah, I hope in a year or two from now, we're looking back at it and we're saying that that's what we wanted to see with the Cowboys. And of course it'll be no one's fault. It's not a situation where all the Cowboys gave up on him and he went and balled out somewhere else.
Speaker 6: Like no, no, no.
Speaker 5: For both of these guys, they gave them to give him opportunities. He just could not stay healthy. And we're not talking about talking about minor injuries either. We're talking about to devastating injuries, right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: But I could see him like do really well on a team like Baltimore or a team like the Patriots, you know, like flourish. Really if he's given another.
Speaker 1: Oportuityve got to be in the right spot. But stay healthy, that's the other thing. Yeah, we'll figure that out. Speaking of Philly, let's talk about the Philadelphia Eagles defense. QB Vision is on the way. Isaiah Stanback's been breaking down the film. He's going to tell you exactly what the Cowboys offense is going to see in this matchup coming up on Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 3: More talking Cowboys, Right, after.
Speaker 4: This, every day begins with a promise, a promise to work hard and to build a future. That's why we're here providing the tools, expertise and John Deere equipment you have relied on for generations to help you get.
Speaker 6: The job done right.
Speaker 8: We're with you.
Speaker 4: That's our promise to you, because no matter the project or the challenge you're facing, where are you?
Speaker 6: Where are you not it?
Speaker 1: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee today.
Speaker 6: I'm home.
Speaker 8: Hey, mom, before you ask, I've done my homework and the dishwashers unloading.
Speaker 6: Nice.
Speaker 3: Hey can you hehn?
Speaker 6: Yes, I've got the finale ready to play. Here's your wine. Wow?
Speaker 3: Isn't it nice not having to ask? We think so.
Speaker 9: That's why if there's a network interruption, at and T will proactively credit you for a full day of service guarantee credit for fiber downtime lasting twenty minutes or more, or for wireless downtime lasting sixty minutes or more caused by a single incident impact ten of more towers. Strictions and exclusion apply at dot com slash guarantee for tas.
Speaker 6: How's it going? You see that Cowboys game?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 3: I watched.
Speaker 8: I've been seeing some good things totally. They have some talent, You have some great talent, and they got some fight hoping this is the year me too. Oh, I'm Cody. By the way, I'm Travis.
Speaker 6: Nice to meet you. Travis.
Speaker 4: Go.
Speaker 6: Cowboys Go.
Speaker 3: Cowboys make a.
Speaker 7: New friend based solely on their shirt choice.
Speaker 6: What would you like the power to do?
Speaker 5: Bank of America The official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys, Copyright twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Bank of America Corporation.
Speaker 6: To the Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Back here on Talking Cowboys, Presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company. This segment is brought to you buy in Visi Line, the official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys back with Patrick noc Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Chris.
Speaker 3: Beam in the back.
Speaker 1: I'm Kyle Yeoman's and I see this comment here for the fifth member of our crew. Michael in the comments said, Bro, seriously, every episode, I'm more convinced of Isaiah Standback being part of the coaching staff of your Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: And then he put in parentheses he said, I like that. Bring that wisdom, Bro. That's a good segue into a little bit of some.
Speaker 6: Why Eddie, Why Eddie cut up?
Speaker 5: It's time for QB vision with Isaiah's Standback. Yeah, you know, I hate that this has become the tradition. First of all, shout out, appreciate the love. You won't find me in any coaching rooms, unfortunately. I will stay on the media side to make sure.
Speaker 3: That's what all coaches say before they take a new coach.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you have a really big personality, You have lots of love to give. You have listen, I need your arms in many fires if you will.
Speaker 6: He's attested to my feminly.
Speaker 1: He sounds like Laye Kiff and that's what he sounds like. That's what he wow sounds like. Oh I'm at old mess. I'm not worried about.
Speaker 3: That Florida job or I'm not worried about that l s U exactly. All right, I were getting to the bottom of dB.
Speaker 6: Everybody's all right, all right, let's talk about it.
Speaker 5: We're about to play the Philadelphia Egles and Philadelphia Eagles. We all understand that this is not the Las Vegas Raiders. Okay, let's just keep it one hundred. And what were the What were the Raiders? You said trash?
Speaker 3: And what are the Eagles not trash?
Speaker 5: I'd even recycled com post, not any of that stuff. Listen to Eagles. The Eagles are good, man, Keep it one hundred. I am looking forward to this matchup because I think that this I think both of our teams are built to beat each other.
Speaker 6: I truly believe that. I think that.
Speaker 5: That Howie Roseman and Double J are literally building their rosters to compete with each other. I think they understand that they are the two top dogs in this division, and their rosters are indicative of that. It's no different than than the Buffalo Bills building their roster to beat the Ken City Chiefs.
Speaker 6: It just is what it is.
Speaker 5: You got to play these guys twice a year, and in order to get to where you want to get, you have to get past his team. So I think that obviously what the Howie Roseman has done with his roster defensively, Dallas has combat at that. They've invested a ton into their defensive line. We've invested a ton into our offensive line. They've had a lot of young talent show up at the linebacker and secondary position.
Speaker 6: We've added a lot of talent there as well.
Speaker 5: Right, They've invested in Jake Ferguson, they invested in CD and now hopefully George Piggins. They brought him in over on the trade. He was there a week one when we played them, and obviously hopefully he gets an extension here.
Speaker 6: But do it, they will do it. Probably won't be the number he wants, but they'll do it.
Speaker 7: And mirror images in terms of receivers very much, drafting a generational talent and then also trading for another guy that you absolutely needed.
Speaker 1: Because for them it was DeVante Smith was what first rounder in twenty twenty one, and then aj Brown was traded and then for US of course Ceede Lamb and twenty twenty and George Pickens was traded so it's almost like I.
Speaker 5: Like peaking as a home where quarterback point. I like quarterbacks invested in tight ends. Both have seven touchdowns. Receivers they're under Their receivers are under productive right now, but they can still strike fire. But let's talk about this defense all right. It starts with their defensive line. Defensive line is nasty. Defensive line has been nasty. When Dallas lost in Week one, they obviously lost their best player prior to the game.
Speaker 3: You don't think that'll happen again. You don't think we'll get lucky.
Speaker 6: Like that getting a loogi. Bro, we're not even getting a Jamar Chase Lugi on the lucky loogie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're not getting that. His presence was missed in that game, Dallas. Yeah, not happening. Reflection, I think Dallas Tyler, right, Tyler, I believe that Dallas had more success than they would have had in Week one in the running game because Jalen Carter was not present. I'm not taking anything away from our offensive line, but we know that Jalen Carter is one of the best interior defense linemen in the league. That's factuals true. He wasn't there because of his actions he will be there.
Speaker 3: Yes, you think he's ready for this game too?
Speaker 5: Yes, Jordan Davis will be there. Moro Jomo will be there. Number ninety seven. Oh, and then there's a new guy that they added. Who's that, Yeah, Jalen Phillips.
Speaker 6: Jalen Phillips.
Speaker 5: They have them listed as an outside linebacker because they have it on the depth trod as a three to four defense.
Speaker 6: He will be there, and he's a dude this defense.
Speaker 7: But we don't know him as much. Are you sure he's a dude.
Speaker 5: He's a dude, and he has infused even more energy into this defense. I truly believe that their front seven is the best part of their defense. Their their defensive linemen are all dangerous in their own right. Jalen Carter is disruptive, Jordan Davis is hard to move. Moro is active and very physical.
Speaker 6: And now they have a true pass rusher that can be disruptive. They didn't.
Speaker 5: They didn't have a disruptive pass rusher when we played them in Week one. Now they do in Phillips. Jalen Phillips is a disruptor. Number fifty. He'll be standing up on the edge. I don't remember if he switches side, but I know he'll be over Terrence Steele. So that front line is something that you have to be concerned about. I went back and I watched Week one. I loved how intense Dallas played. Dallas played very physical. If this is a ball game that Dallas wants to win, you're going to have to out physical.
Speaker 10: The Philadelphia Eagles are are. Yeah, listen, it's a hell of a matchup.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 5: I truly think that they probably have the best linebacker corps. I think they probably have the best linebacker core in the NFL. Wow, that's my last one.
Speaker 6: That's my opinion. They have the best line In my opinion, they have the best linebacker cord in the NFL.
Speaker 7: And linebackers have been giving this sea many problems at the.
Speaker 6: Moment at the month. That's all I can speak to. That's all I can speak to. Zach Bond is smart, very smart, cerebral.
Speaker 5: This defensive line just for the same reasons why I wanted Quinn Williams and Kenny Clark playing together. It's hard to get up to those to that second level. So when you're spending your time at the offensive line blocking that you know those interior defensive linemen. Their linebackers don't wait like they really don't wait like they their linebackers react the way in which I wish that our linebackers had up until this point of the season. Yeah, when a hole opens up, Zach Bond freaking hits it. He's going. He's not waiting to see what happens. I'm not waiting to see if he's gonna go on door A or door B. He's taking whatever door opens, and and they're playing off of that. They have Nikobe Dean, who I've had the pleasure of.
Speaker 6: Meeting and talking to.
Speaker 5: Listen the same way that we speak about de Marveion overshown in terms of his passion for the game, same vibes I get from Nakcobe Dean that is correct. He loves the game of football, correct, like genuinely like it, like it's exuding off him, like it just it just radiates. He's a dude. He'll be the one in the elbow brace. He's a he's he's athletic. He makes it very difficult. I talked a lot about how how Jake Ferguson's going to have to have a day for Dallas to be successful offensively, where he's got to deal with Nikobe Dean, and Nikobe Dean can run. You're not going to outrun him, right, And he's he's going to be in your hip pocket. You're gonna have to make contested catches. He's going to be there, right, He's always going to be in the play Jaylyx Hunt fifty eight. He's he's a dude as well. So frot seven is a problem. You got to meet them head up right, take care of your business. You were able to have success against some last time, do it again, except this time you got a block ninety eight. Okay, so tight ends were physical last time. I was very impressed with with our guy Brefence spam Ford. He was very physical. Schoolmaker I was actually.
Speaker 1: I was about to say Scoomaker, I remember being really physical and Schoolmaker was physical. So they were amped up for week one and they utilized ferg a lot in the in the passing game.
Speaker 6: Yes, the used him a lot.
Speaker 1: As a receiver in that game, and they kind of had Schooonmaker as the physical rightforcer yep.
Speaker 3: And a lot of that allowed for Ferguson.
Speaker 1: To do what he did, which we were just talking about yesterday, is something that you want to get back to correct.
Speaker 5: So they listed as a three man front, but they'll is really a four man front. They'll stand up Jalen Phillips. He'll be like a kind of an in bicycle stance. So I consider it a four man front. They can call it three four all day long. It's four to three. Let's go to the secondary. Secondary, solid physical, physical secondary. I will say that I'm not sure that they're the best cover guys in the league, but they're very physical. I can tell you one guy who does cover well is Cooper Dejing, number thirty three. I like everything about him. Young, talented, physical, feisty, right punching him out. He punked Jalen Tolbert the first time we played him. I'm really hopeful that Jalen Tobert gets some get back. He came down hill in the screen game. Jalen Tolbert was supposed to be blocking and just slapped him, just slapped him around. Ceedee Lamb had to come to Jalen Tolbert's defense, Dak Prescott had to come to Jalen Tolber's defense. So I'm hoping that Jalen Tolbert get some get back. Within the parameters of play and don't hurt your team.
Speaker 6: Don't do that.
Speaker 5: So Cooper Degen's nice red Blanken ships one of the better safeties in the league. I think he's just he's smart, he's he's reactive. He goes sideline the sideline. Quinnon Mitchell, I give him his respect. He's he's he's he's okay.
Speaker 6: I don't, I'm not. I know a lot of people are high on him. I'm not.
Speaker 5: I don't think that they are put in a lot of positions to play a lot of man to man coverage. I think maybe twenty five percent or something like that. I think they're more of his own team. They do a really good job of hiding what it is that they're doing in terms of their safety movement. It's very late, it's big. Fan Gill's defenses are always disciplined. Dak Prescott has success against Vic Fangio's defenses, but collectively as a team, he hasn't won much against him. I think he's one in four you go, but he has done a good job in terms of his statistical category against him, five touchdowns, one interception. I believe so Dak has seen everything before. These guys will try to bring pressure, but Dak does handle pressure very well. Where I think these guys are weak, trying to give you kind of a front to back type of overhaul. Here the middle of their field, it's it's booty button naked, no huggies, just just go streaking through the quad and the coliseum.
Speaker 6: It's the middle. Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: You got three of them jokers running around the middle of their field is open. It is so vacant that that's why I feel like Jake Ferguson can have a day. I mentioned Ceedee Lamb on his over routes.
Speaker 6: I mention.
Speaker 5: George Pickens on his deep en routes. Those are typically the routes that those guys run. I hope that they mix it up a little bit more so it's not as predictable. They will cut your over routes, just like we saw this past week. Yeah, where Ceede Lamb is trying to run an over route the safety season he drops down from a two high look to a one high look to enter and intercede and prevent Ceedee Lamb from getting over. Okay, cool, But the end routes, the slant routes, all those things, they're going to be contested. But if you can catch it and you can make one man miss the guy who's on your back, there's a lot of yak yards to be had.
Speaker 6: And I really think that Dallas.
Speaker 5: Can expose Philadelphia in the passing game by taking advantage of that vacant mental And I'm talking about like thirty yards of vacancy here.
Speaker 6: Now I'm talking about a couple of yards. This is like it's like the freaking Red Sea.
Speaker 5: But by doing that, guys have to win at the line of scrimmage getting off the ball, and then you got.
Speaker 6: To be able to block it up. So Dak has time when you look.
Speaker 1: At the middle of the field, and there are a lot of Texas fans that watch this, so I know a lot of people are going to ask about Andrew.
Speaker 3: Mccooba, the safety.
Speaker 1: What is he been tabbed with doing in this Vic van Gel type of defense and in his system? And how has he played to start the year as a rookie safety.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they usually wrote him down to be like the down safety. He'll start high again, they'll give a two man, they'll give a two high look and then it'll be like a late rotation, right, It'll be late sign yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't not a Texas fan. We're talking about Andrew.
Speaker 6: We didn't tell you. Congratulations, I'll being ranked by the way.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, thank you very much. Relation our college football. Man, it's coming on on Friday with plenty, so.
Speaker 5: They do a lot of late rotations and they they'll cut those guys. So what they're trying to do is they play their safety is really deep. They really try to get you to hold onto the ball.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: We've seen this before. Denver did a really good job about this. I've made everybody aware of what Denver did. Denver brought pressure, though, I mean really counting on their front seven to get home while you were sitting there patting the ball, waiting for your guys to get beyond their secondary.
Speaker 6: Don't try to get beyond their secondary. Ceede Lamb did a really.
Speaker 5: Good job of it in Week one, but it was off of double moves right Ceedee Lamb was able to get him fake the end route, fake the post route, getting the bite on it, and then break it back out to the sideline.
Speaker 6: He had a lot of success versus them on that.
Speaker 5: George Pickens was able to get some some pass interference calls because Dak had the time to sit back, pat the ball a little bit and throw the ball down the field and let George Pickens try to get it. They held them. We got the ball all the way moved to the goal line. So we have some success in week one versus this defense. I'm not saying that you can't beat this defense. I'm saying that they are very vulnerable to get beat. But you have to protect and you have that afore the time.
Speaker 6: You have to have the time.
Speaker 5: Your guys can beat their guys. Our receivers are better than their secondary. Our tight end can body up. I'm not gonna say he's faster and can out rout them up, but he can body up. You can get the ball to Jay Ferguson on some plays across the middle twelve yards, you know, fifteen yards whatever it is, but he's gonna be it's gonna be a contested catch. Don't expect a whole lot after it and catch, tackle, whatever. And then you have to be able to run the ball. If you can run the.
Speaker 6: Ball effectively, you can control this game.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be competitive. You're gonna have your wins, you're gonna have your losses. It's gonna be a freaking battle Royale. But you can beat this defense up, you truly can. You're gonna have to do it by having sustainable, long, methodical drives and then when you get your shot, you got to you gotta connect.
Speaker 7: I love what you're saying about Jake Ferguson and the ability that he has to sort of take advantage over the middle. And it's one of those things where, at least for the Cowboys, if they're able to take advantage of that early. The Eagles are smart enough, especially Vic Fangio, to account for that. If they see the Dallas attack in the middle, then they have to They are able to and they will adjust. And you have to be able to take what the defense gives you, which opens.
Speaker 6: Up CD and C, George and George.
Speaker 7: And that's exactly what you want to do. And a part of that too is like I don't necessarily think you need to just pound the run game the entire game. Like, I really don't think that that's necessary.
Speaker 1: It's also not going to happen a whole lot of effective. It's not going to be effective.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 7: I think if they're rely on quick passes, let that set up your run game like that. That's where I'm at.
Speaker 5: Their linebackers are so aggressive and they're so good, right, They're so reactive to the run. Right, So if you have success in your run game, Zach bond Nikobe, they're not waiting right to see if you're handing the ball off or doing play action.
Speaker 6: They're shooting the gap. Right. So if you're you have you can establish a running game in the beginning.
Speaker 5: I'm talking about four yards of pop, right, I'm not talking about no big splash play four yards four yards consistent like crap, man, these guys just there, he's running into the back of the lineman, but then they're following for four yards like all right, a second to six crap. If you can do that consistently, then those linebackers have no choice but to react to the run. And now Jake Ferguson could eat now now actually exactly, and.
Speaker 7: When we're talking about mirroring what Philadelphia does, use Jake Ferguson like they do Dallas Goddard because there are so many situations where he's wide open the middle field because we're the teams are having to account for the smith and a j Brown and Goddard is wide open.
Speaker 6: Please do that.
Speaker 1: So everything that you guys are saying, it all points back to one spot on.
Speaker 3: The field for me, and it's the offensive line. And it's got to start up front.
Speaker 1: When we come back on talking cowboys, is this offensive line hole again in order to take down Philadel?
Speaker 3: Are they talented enough now that they are a whole? They are healthy.
Speaker 1: All five guys are up front that they can handle what Philadelphia has on that defensive line.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about that when we come back.
Speaker 1: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee today.
Speaker 2: If you shout how about them cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be better yet. Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 7: The wins will be even taste here, it's a pepper thing.
Speaker 1: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lifball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 7: I'm home, Hey.
Speaker 8: Mom, Before you ask, I've done my homework and the dishwashers unloading.
Speaker 3: Nice, Hey, can you ahon?
Speaker 6: Yes, I've got the finale ready to play. Here's your wine?
Speaker 3: Wow? Isn't it nice not having to ask? We think so.
Speaker 9: That's why if there's a network interruption at and T will proactively credit you for a full day of service credit for five or downtime lasting twenty minutes or more, or for wireless downtime lasting sixty minutes more caused by a single incident impact in ten more tours. Strict exclusions apply att dot Com slash guarantee for details.
Speaker 6: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This segment is always, and the whole show is always brought to you by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Where are your Cowboys? Gear? To a Black Right Coffee and get ten percent off your entire order.
Speaker 7: You didn't open the can do the show?
Speaker 3: I know you're right.
Speaker 1: I needed the three hundred milligrams before we got started, so I just had already cracked it open.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry. Where's our as Mr Person? Family? Where get on?
Speaker 5: Get in the chat and get on COLI yomens for not giving that to the family to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, talking the line.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm trying to drive a show, and I'm not worrying about I'm not worried about asmr.
Speaker 6: Rude, Jim, Sorry that chip?
Speaker 3: Should we go get another one?
Speaker 6: There's like seven nopes too late, buddy, when he got five minutes eleven show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, all right, let's talk about the offensive line here, and Isaia, you just talked about the defensive front. Yes, how good they are and how much they do challenge you. But Patrick, I'll throw it to you to start here with the five guys up front, everybody being back in the full, Is this the game where you finally see this offensive line click against a formidable opponent. Because they played well against the Raiders for the most part, they have not played well against the formid opponent since kuber Bebe returned. Can this be the game where they step it up and you finally see what you want to see out of the investment that you've put on your offensive line.
Speaker 6: It can in it better. I'm kind of happy to be it has to be, But I will say this.
Speaker 5: Tyler Booker before injury and coming back off of injury, now that he has a couple games under his belt, he looks like he's getting back into his groove.
Speaker 6: We know that he's he's just a road greater, right, so he's going.
Speaker 5: To hold up very well against that Eagles interior defensive line Cooper Bebe. He's a couple of games back now, I think he gets back into his groove. I think the Raiders game being his second game back, that was a good way of getting his confidence back to where it needs to get. Tyler Smith, I think Tyler Smith's going to be Tyler Smith. I just need him to kind of get away from the penalties that are kind of starting to crop up with him, right So, and I know that he can because he's not normally a highly penalized guy. But that interior offensive line for the Cowboys, I believe it can hold up and it has no choice but to. Now the bigger question mark is can your tackles hold up? Okay, talk about the addition of Phillips, right, so they're stronger. The Eagles are at the edges than they were in Week one, where they were heavy in the middle and then the edges you were like, eh, whatever you got That not the case now. I will say there are some promise here going into this game. First and foremost, let's talk about Tyler Gotten. Look at Tyler Gotten's protection numbers from against the Raiders and he allowed only one pressure with no sacks on thirty four drop backs. Despite he didn't get a lot of help, not a lot of chipwork. Almost eighty percent of the time he was one v one, So that's promising. He was on his island more than three quarters of the time, and he held up well. He only faced Max Crosby one v one on two occasions, but no pressures allowed. So Tyler guyton Oscar nominations aside, he acquitted himself well and now comes a guy like Phillips in this front. Now, the bigger question was with Brian Schottenheimer saying that there was an open competition at right tackle. His words, his words looks like Terren Steele understood the assignment.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 5: Terrence Steele's numbers against mostly Max Crosby, okay.
Speaker 6: So Terrence Steel overall had.
Speaker 5: Sixteen out of sixteen reps versus Max Crosby, fifteen of them were one v one. He only got assistance on one of those reps. He only allowed two pressures out of those sixteen total reps fifteen one v one and no sacks because even the strip fumble that came from Tyler Guiten's side could argue that Dak held the ball a little too long, whatever the case.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: So that being said, I love what I saw against a Max Crosby led defensive end room. That gives me very good confidence that you can repeat it against a Jalen Phillips led defensive in room.
Speaker 6: But you gotta go and do it.
Speaker 7: There is a word that Isaiah kept referring to last week when talking about the Raiders defense outside of Max Crosby, and what was that?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 7: I think that is in large part due to how well the offensive line played last week. One thing plays into the other thing. And yes, it was a stout game from Tyler goiiton it was a stout game from Terrence Steel considering going up against Max Crosby. But that is one player, and as Isaiah just eloquently put, they have several guys that you got to account for and worry about, and through the totality of the season, you have not seen a very consistent Tyler Guiton. I would not expect a very consistent Tyler Gotton in this game because of the challenge that's in front of him, and that's not to dissuade him. And part of me is like, okay, well, if the feeling that the offensive line gets after this Raiders game says like, all right, we're those guys. We can do this on a week in and week out basis, you know, fake it till you make it, sure, absolutely, but you have a real test coming in front of you. And what we talked about, even if we were able to beat the Raiders, and granted I think we would have beat the Raiders had we not had a brand new look defense, I think that was very much a possibility, even with how poorly we were playing. And then you get these new guys and now you have a you know, a new sense of like, okay, a new look defense, this is how we're playing now. Again, that is a tough tough thing to say after a team like the Raiders. And I don't want to be like, oh, well, it's just the Raiders. It's all competition, but you have to put it in context of like, these guys are really really good that you're going up against it, and you have to have that same mentality if your Dallas again this week, So you have to come in with that same grit determination all of those things, and like I said, even if you're not the best one v one, you have to fake it till you make it and have that confidence that you can do it. So I'm concerned for sure going up against this defense. And this feels like another one of those games where the Dallas always have to be perfect on basically every level team in the game. So I do I agree, And you're going up against the team. Sorry, you're going up against the team that is not playing their best football and still winning just about it.
Speaker 1: They're playing their best football on the defensive side, though. I mean they've allowed sixteen points since Week eight and against two really good offenses Detroit last week they gave up seven points. Detroit was unstoppable. They going into that and they could not do anything. And if they got into the red zone, they knew it was one of their few opportunities to score and to put points on the board.
Speaker 3: So what did they do.
Speaker 1: They went forward on fourth down instead of kicking field goals because they knew field goals wouldn't have gotten it done.
Speaker 6: So I do agree with Josh.
Speaker 5: One thing plays until the other absolutely correct, and we're talking about the Raiders, absolutely correct. What I would counter with, though, is if these numbers that I was seeing from Tyler Guy and particularly Terrence Steele versus Max Crosby, if these numbers had a higher percentage of chip blocks and assists, then I would be more inclined to say, Okay, well, it's more so because the interior defensive line against the Raiders were so poor it allowed for the Cowboys to throw extra bodies at Max Crosby. Terrence Steele and Tyler got and they were doing this in one on one owners island with Max Crosby. So while I do agree, I would add that context to say what we do agree upon is that consistency needs to happen. They've been inconsistent both of those guys, so they need to replicate what they did last week. But considering who they were on an island against last week, Max Crosby is.
Speaker 3: A whole dude, So I'm Phillips is a dude.
Speaker 6: Phillips is not better than Max.
Speaker 5: Noun facts. No, listen this, I just I have confidence, I truly do. I think that our offense will have success. You're gonna take some else, You're gonna take some sacks. You're gonna take some tip balls. You're gonna're gonna you're gonna take some l's right. It's gonna be a battle royal. It's gonna be like a game of Pong, going back and forth. Okay, you're not gonna feel as if there's just this wave of Yeah, it's not gonna be a wave of just all you're just dominating the egos. You're gonna have a negative play. You're gonna have positive player negative. It's gonna be back and forth. I have confidence, But this team has to They have to do two things. His offense we're talking about. They have to play as a unit up front. It can't be individuals. And you have to have emotional intelligence. You have to approach the games as a one unit of dogs, like you gotta go out there with the mentality we're about to put these casts through the ground.
Speaker 6: Yes, you have to have this.
Speaker 5: You have to have this arrogance in this this approach to the game. But you have to be able to know when to cut it off, like when that whistle blows. You gotta be able to turn the switch off. Okay, it's not gonna be no clap on all right, like we're doing here, but you gotta be able to turn it off.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 5: I'm excited. I'm excited because you're gonna find out who the heck you are this week.
Speaker 6: I liked it. I like that.
Speaker 7: I like those words.
Speaker 1: A lot of different things gonna happen throughout the course of this week leading into that matchup with Philadelphia coming up on Sunday Tomorrow. We're gonna flip it to the offensive preview for the Philadelphia Eagles taking on this new look Dallas defense. Can what Dallas did I at the trade deadline and getting them back from injury?
Speaker 3: Can that help out what this.
Speaker 1: Team is going to do against the Philadelphia offense, who has not been playing their best football as of late. More to come this week here on Talking Cowboys for Patrick no Cy Walker, for Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah Stanback, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yoman saying so long from Talking Cowboys, We'll see you tomorrow. This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club. Eight