Speaker 1: With Robinhood, not only can you trade individual stocks and ETFs, you can also seamlessly buy and sell crypto at low costs, trade all in one place. Get started now on robin Hood.
Speaker 2: Trading Crypto involved significant risk. Crypto trading is offered through an account with the Robinhood Crypto LC. Robin Hood Crypto is licensed to engage in virtual currency business activity by the New York State Department of Financial Services. Crypto held thro robin Hood Cryptos not FDC insured or SIPC protected. Investing involves risk, including loss of principle securities. Trading is offered through an account with robin Hood Financial LLC member SIPC, a registered broker dealer.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, welcome back episode twenty six. We don't got no round for twenty six, No, but it's crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, but you know, twenty six weeks in and this is a very very special episode for us.
Speaker 3: We got my ASH cash here. Appreciate y'all man, Thank you for having no thank you for coming there, for coming.
Speaker 4: So we're gonna give the background on ASH. But before that, we gotta give a shout out to Atlanta. That's where you live right.
Speaker 3: Now, antl Yeah, that's that's that's home now.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm always from Halem, though, we got to make that clear, Like I live in Atlanta, but I'm always from hallm Born and Race Nicholas Projects.
Speaker 3: Like when you walked in, I said, Halem's own fast.
Speaker 4: Up to five, yes, sir, So yeah, Atlanta real quick. We were doing an event. By the time you guys hear this, it'll be last minute, but it's still trying to register. We're doing an event on the eighteenth free Networking meet and greed is gonna be super dope. We bring in some of our e Y alumni with us, and we wanted to bring the whole city out.
Speaker 3: We're gonna do a.
Speaker 4: Railroad big come out. Go to our website the events tab and registered. Like I said, you got a day a day and a half by the time you actually had this. But we are looking forwards. It's always good to get to Atlanta.
Speaker 3: Brooklyn was great, but we're hearing Atlanta.
Speaker 5: Atlanta is like whata though, sure Atlanta love is different, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: That's the mecca. That's the mecca right now.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: So so Atlanta we come in all right, but right now we have very important information right. So Ashally, he actually has a very interesting story. I just learned some stuff actually that I didn't know before, so we want to talk about that. But he's a financial motivator, right, he's an author, he is a speaker, he's a wealth coach, and he has a credit repair business. Anything else I'm left out?
Speaker 3: We forgot father. That's the most important. Yeah, yeah, for sure, for sure, for sure. I think that. I think that's pretty much sums it all.
Speaker 4: Right, So, yeah, this is gonna be a dope discussion. So we're going to talk about a lot of different things, entrepreneurship out again to the author game speaking. But first I want to kind of highlight your journey of how you got here because it's really interesting.
Speaker 3: So I'll let you tell it. Yeah, I'll give a quick overview.
Speaker 4: So you used to be so I'm in the financial services industry, used to be in the financial services industry as well. You still are in the financial services industry, but used to be on the institutional side, right, and then you switched over to the entrepreneurial side of doing your own thing, right, So can you just explain that process because I think that a lot of times people one of the biggest fears to stop people from becoming entrepreneurs is they lack faith. They like faith and to say, Okay, I have a secure job. It's difficult to leave something that's secure for something that's unknown for sure, right, And even we spoke about that. You you kind of battled with that for a while and then you was like, you know what, enough is enough? I need to make this jump. So can you can you talk about that journey from working on the institutional side to jumping off and just doing your own thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not for sure. So, like I started my career, uh, straight out of high school. So I was nineteen years old when I started working at the bank did everything tell a personal banker, private banker, branch manager was a ceover Credit Union. And for me, I kind of I mean, I've always sort of like been a hustler, Like I always knew that I didn't want people to tell me what to do and things of that nature, Like I wanted to be an entrepreneur. But like you said, that security is what kept me in the game as long as I was in the game. But for me, that transition it is difficult though, right, It is that that up and down because I know. I remember, you know, I retired from banking when I was thirty years old, right, retired, Right, I threw you know, I even threw myself a party, retirement party at forty forty club.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: I was just about to turn thirty, and you know, I was, I was making money, right, I was making six figures at the bank. Wound up quitting becoming an entrepreneur. I almost fell on my face though, right to be to be honest, right, I almost got to a space where you know, I wasn't making as much money because I was used to that lifestyle, and so I had to go back in to the working world figure some things out.
Speaker 3: And then now I was like, all right, now I'm gonna jump back back in there.
Speaker 5: And so partly what worked for me was being able to create that multiple streams of income. And that's why I tell people that whatever you do, make sure that you're not only relying on one source of income, because having multiple streams of income was what allowed me to say, okay, you know what, now I could jump out and be comfortable. But being on the institutional side, it was tough, right, because I mean, you know, as being a licensed financial advisor, there's certain things that you like, you're highly regulated, right, and so you know what, you know, even when I wrote my first book, mind Right, Money Right, So my real name is ash Exantis, right. And the reason why I write under ash cash was because back in two thousand and nine, when I wanted to write my first book, mind Right, Money Right, ten loads of financial Freedom, I needed to ask permission from you know, from the institution to see whether I can write the book because I was a license rep with them.
Speaker 3: It was a conflict of.
Speaker 5: Interest and they were they wouldn't let me write the book, right, and so ask for forgiveness, not for permission. So I decided, I'm like, you know what, I'm gonna write this book under ash cash. If they find out, they find out, but I'll be ash exanswers from nine to five and I'll be ash cash, you know, every other every other time. And that worked for me because I was building both simultaneously to the point where ash cash got hot enough where I was able to leave my nine to five and and you know, create some some income by doing it.
Speaker 4: And that's something that I always encourage people to do as well, where you don't have to do it all at the same time, right, everything at the same time, so you can still work a regular job while building up your entrepreneurial business, and then when that gets to a point where it can support you, then you take the lead.
Speaker 5: Right, Like, like people, I don't know where this anti nine to five thing come from, Like stop watching social.
Speaker 3: Media if they lying? Now you know how many you know.
Speaker 5: How many people who out who's who's out here acting like they're independent and then you bump into them at they nine to five and they I'm trying to say, like, right, like stop listening to them. It's like it's a lie. Like your job is your investor, it is your first investor. You quit your job. So so the reason why so I have a company called mind Right Money Management. The reason why it's mind Right Money Management because it's a mindset. First, money is mindset. If you don't have the proper mindset, I don't care if you make one hundred thousand dollars, a million dollars, ten million dollars. If you don't have the proper mindset, you're still going to be broke. Right, And what people don't realize is that that's if you have to struggle the brain space that it takes for you to be creative.
Speaker 3: You're not gonna be as creative.
Speaker 5: Your entrepreneurship venture is not going to be as successful as it could be had you had the proper brain space to not have to focus on the basics.
Speaker 3: So I tell people, listen, keep your nine to five.
Speaker 5: It is it is your first investor, is best thing in your business. It removes you having to think about the basics, where I'm gonna live, how I'm gonna eat, and then the rest is how you invest your time period.
Speaker 4: Well, the key, the key to that is that you have to be willing to put in overtime. Oh absolutely, when I say overtime, not overtime at your job, overtime as far as to say, okay, I work from nine to five, from six o'clock to eleven o'clock at night. Not a lot of people are willing to do that, right. That's the thing that and we talking about the social media. It's crazy, It's like that's what stops a lot of people is to say, Okay, I can still work a job, but I'm gonna work another job that I'm not gonna get paid for. Because you're an entrepreneurial the first year, first two years, first five years, whatever. You might work the same nine to five on the night in and not get a dollar for it. That's the sacrifice that a lot of people is not willing to make. But let me ask you this because I wanted to you. Right, So you said that one position in general kind of change your whole way of thinking. Right when you're the CEO of a credit union. Credit union in Queensbridge, right, projects?
Speaker 3: So all right?
Speaker 4: So Queensbridge is the largest projects in North America, if anybody's not familiar.
Speaker 3: Also home to hip hop Royalty.
Speaker 6: Yes, mob, the project Cormega, a bunch of people they ran Queensbridge was in the ninetyes, late nineties forget them, we got but.
Speaker 3: We can't fit.
Speaker 4: I was just having this debate about like rap, right, And in the nineties it was like Queens Date. The borough just was research researchence and it's like Queen's Bridges specifically if you think about it, like for one project to have that much talent come out of it, it's crazy. But it's ninety six buildings, ninety six So they had their own credit union in the projects, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So Urban upbount is a nonprofit that provided services within that that area, and so Bishop Taylor, the CEO of the nonprofit, decided that he wanted to open up a credit union to serve those members. And so, you know, we had a mutual friend when I was working at City Bank at the time. We had a mutual friend and he was like, listen, you're the perfect person, right. You grew up in the projects. You're a VP at a bank. You understand our people, but you also understand how to run a branch from you know, p and ls and all that stuff. And so he tapped me and was like, listen, I want you to run this credit union. And so I was thirty one at the time, and so at the time, I was one of the youngest CEOs of a federally chartered bank. And that really kind of changed my perspective on just what we need, you know, from from a from a financial education perspective, because a couple of things I realized is that when I was working at City Bank in the same type of environment, right, I was running a forty five million dollar branch right on one hundred and forty four Street and Seventh Avenue in Harlem, same demographic public housing.
Speaker 3: It was, you know, low income. But because we had.
Speaker 5: The capital, we were able to provide the products and services that the that the uh that they needed. Working at the credit union, I realized that, Yeah, you know, Jay said this, right, he says, I can't help the poor if I'm one of them. So I got rich and gave back to me. That's the win win. I didn't understand that until I became the CEO of a credit union and realized that in order to help them one, we needed to educate them first, because they were so used to using check cashing places and giving their money away that that there was an education part first, But then there was a capital thing as well, right, meaning that a lot of people were going to the check cashing places, We're going to the pawnshops, We're taking payday loans or doing all of those things because they needed access. Right, I, as a CEO of a credit union, could not give them access because there's a balance between between.
Speaker 3: Taking risk as a as an institution. Right.
Speaker 5: And so let's say, for instance, I had two million dollars in deposits. That means, you know, there's a there's a reserve, right, I can't lend up the two million dollars I have to you know, keep a reserve. And so let's say I can lend one point two million dollars, but now I have to look at the risk. Like as a credit union, the people who put their money in own the credit union, right, your owner of the credit union. But I can't lend five thousand dollars to somebody who has not demonstrated that they will be able to pay it back, even though I know that they needed and that I can help. And so it made me realize that, yes, access to capital is important, is very very important, but that financial education piece is more important because again we've seen people who come from places who they don't have any money. You give them money, they will lose the money. They will go back to square one because they haven't changed their mindset. They haven't you know, recalibrated. And that's what changed my life. I said, you know what, I have to be on a mission, not only locally.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: So prior to that, you know, I was working in Harlem, I was working downtown, I was working in Queensbridge. But I said, on a national level, I want to reach people. And that's why I continue to write books. That's why you know, I started to reach out and become a national voice for financial education because our people most importantly have been shut out, right shut out of this information for so long, and not just like we didn't do it like these are Like if you read the book Color of Law, you'll realize that there were government sanction laws that shut us out of this, you know, shut us out financially, and so now we have to take back control and re educate people.
Speaker 7: It's dope because like from an education standpoint, right, and the same thing from the financial world. You're inside the system, right, so you can see that the customers and your clients really don't have knowledge, and the same thing that we're kind of doing where I'm in an education system, I know it's not being taught in school. So we have to go out and give the financial education. But one of the things that you said is that your culture responses, and that is so powerful because, like I said, culture always changes right down to the name of your company, right, money right management. Like when I heard money right, automatically I thought matters belief. When I was like, yo, is there something, then yeah, absolutely, without a doubt.
Speaker 5: And so it's so funny and this is a testament to why be your authentic self and do not care what people say.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell you, tell your quick story.
Speaker 5: I wrote my first book in two thousand and nine, right, it's going on ten years. It was called min Right Money Right, based on the jay Z and Memphis Lee song. When I wrote the book, though, you know, I did not write the book as if the influence was hip hop right, like I tried to. You know, at the time, you had the Dave Ramsey Susie Orman's out there, and people were advising me against using hip hop and money. They were like, yo, it's a serious topic. Do not blended too. How can you possibly do it? And I listened to them, and so I said, you know what, Nah, I'm gonna write this book.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna do it the way I want to write it, whatever the case may be.
Speaker 5: Fast forward write you know eight years later where I finally was like, nah, I hear the jay Z four forty four album.
Speaker 3: Were hearing it difference, and I'm like, nah, I.
Speaker 5: Got a mixed hip hop and you know and finances together and it became my most successful book. Had I listen ten years ago and said, you know what, naw, I'm feeling this hip hop and money.
Speaker 3: I'm mixed the two together.
Speaker 5: But to your point about being culturally responsive, it's that, right, is that a lot of times? And this is not just financial education. This is a lot of things that we're trying to teach people. We tend to teach people based on our level of understanding, but we don't realize or we forget that we had to go through a journey to even get here. And so as the educator, let's stop trying to reach people from where we are, but let's reach them where they are. And I think that now that we look at hip hop as being the great equalize of where you know, when I listened to my first jay Z track, I was fifteen years old, right, and so throughout those years I've grown, Right, people who listen to hip hop have grown. We have homes now, we have kids, we have families, you know, we have some even have grand children.
Speaker 3: And thinking about legacy buildings, we are grow up.
Speaker 4: It's like it's like, right, right, yeah, It's like it's like, oh Man Derry Falcon where he said, you know, we didn't do netor entrepreneurs whereas we don't don't necessarily have to wear suit if we don't want to wear vapor.
Speaker 8: Max and we could wear to discredit the information absolutely because it's like, Okay, we grew up in the hip hop era, we grew up playing sports, and it's just what it is, right, So it's like, you know, as opposed to trying to water it down be something that we're not, we could deliver the message in the language that the people understand.
Speaker 4: And that's what that's one thing I like about you because it's it's in line what we do as far as with the podcast.
Speaker 3: Is like you know, it's it's always easy to be yourself. Absolutely. I think that's one of my favorite Drake lines. He said that line.
Speaker 7: He was like, you could be anything you want, even yourself, right, brilliant even.
Speaker 4: Even with when he said still do me because it's easy to do, because it's like that really is easy, Like you know, it takes a lot of effort to try to be somebody. A lot of times people do that every single day in the work world and just life in general, and A never works because you're trying to duplicate somebody else, and B it's just not even comfortable.
Speaker 3: So the message is the message is never going to get.
Speaker 4: Delivered because the people that you're trying to be like, they know you're not them, right, And the people who you really are like they looking at you like you not even.
Speaker 3: You sound like us.
Speaker 4: You turned your back on it, but I wanted to ask you something because you said something that was very key. You said, when you was on the institutional side, working in banks, you realize that like wealthy people like they have a team, man. And we even said bringing it back with the lyrics, but Nipsey said, I don't need a ID in my bank. I walk and I got a team in my band. And you was like, that's one of the things that motivated you to just educate people, because like, we're so far when I say we are community, we're so far behind the eight ball. We don't even know what's on the other side of.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, can you just explain, like on the other side of So for two years, right, I was a private banker and I managed assets. I had a book of business four hundred massive fluent clients. Right, So the term mass affluent just means two hundred and fifty thousand dollars in investable assets, right, So you have to have liquid two hundred fifty thousand dollars or more to even qualify to have a private banker. And so my richest client was worth twenty two million dollars. I was part of a team, though I wasn't. I wasn't the only person that worked on that wealthy person's portfolio. You know, I managed the banks and the mutual funds, and there was somebody who was the mortgage guy. There was somebody who was the banker. There was somebody who you know, worked on you know, the investment banking side.
Speaker 3: That like, they had a whole.
Speaker 5: Team of people who not only worked for them, meaning that this wealthy person didn't have to think about their money. Like this wealthy person got up and did what they did every single day to keep their wealth. And there were people working around the clock to manage their money to make sure that their money grows right, meaning that from a banking perspective, there were no fees, they weren't charging anything.
Speaker 3: From an investment.
Speaker 5: Perspective, they had someone watching their portfolio, you know, From a mortgage perspective, they had somebody if rates dropped WITHOU. So these were all people working proactively to maintain or build this person's wealth while us, you know, people in our community, people who don't have access to this team, Like, we're trying to figure out how to how to do stuff day to day, and we got to think about our money. We got to think about how to make the money. We got to think about how to manage the money. And so that's why when they say that term, you know, the rich get richer is because they have a team. They have things and systems and processes in place that keep them at that level.
Speaker 3: And so for me, you know, I'm a big Jay fan. So from a quote j all.
Speaker 5: Day, right, right, so Jay said, there's much bigger issues in the world, I know, but I first had to take care of the world, I know. And so for me, I'm like, Yo, I'm from the I'm from the projects, but I'm from you know, you see the hollow, right, I'm from the projects. I'm from one hundred twenty ninth Street and eighth Avenue like a New hallan them, right, and so you know what I mean. So I'm from o hallm So I understand what it's what it's like to be from the bottom. But then I've done well for myself, so I also understand that other side of it, and I'm like, nah to same it, like my people need this, right, So there's much big issues. I could be doing so many other things, but I first had to take care of the world. I know, and I think that you know for us, and this is why I appreciate what y'all do as well, is because we're credible messengers, right, like you can't like Yo, I've been to Rikers Island and I've been in the corporate boardroom right talking the same It's the same language, and it's nothing nobody could tell me about this be because I've I've been on both sides, and I think that's what makes us credible because we got the seats and I think that's important, right how having those receipts, but reaching people at a level that they understand and hip hop money they're not they're.
Speaker 3: Not mutually exclusive.
Speaker 7: It's important because it's like we said this before, it's like the messages for everybody, but the people who need it are going to be impacted by it most are going to receive it, sure you know what I mean. And that's something that we prod ourselves on, right because like you said, we are the messages of this and we have receipts to prove it.
Speaker 4: You know what, It's interesting because it's people say that hip hop is not finance. Hip hop actually is fun. Everything about it is money, right as far as the lyrics, it's a business, a billion dollar business.
Speaker 3: And it always was about education.
Speaker 4: At its core, was educating, even if it's not educating you on the right thing to educated at things about it is like even for me, like you know, I probe myself on having a very good memory. But one of the things that I think keeps my memory so good is that I have so much rap lirics that I remembered, right, And like I said, a lot of the things that I learned there from rap, they weren't necessarily positive, but it was still an education, right. So it's like, now, if we can teach people using lyrics and music as something that they can relate to culturally, to me, that's a win win.
Speaker 3: That's a win win.
Speaker 4: And I'm gonna tie this all in with your books because that's actually what you do as far as writing books. So in the next segment, we're going to talk about the journey from being employed to being a self entrepreneur and publisher of your books and that's the whole journey as well, because a lot of times people don't a fully understand the book industry for sure, how it can be lucrative, how they can publish a book themselves, they don't need a major company to do it for them. So, yeah, we're gonna go in through the one on one on books.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: So you're an entrepreneur. You do a lot of different things, but one of the things that you do is you're an author and you wrote seven books? Seven books, all right, so can you talk about that. We haven't covered the book industry yet, So what is the process of writing a book? Like as far as from the do you like? Yeah, can you just walk me through that? Do you have a ghostwriter do?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah? You actually sit there.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna tell you.
Speaker 5: So when I wrote my first book ten years ago, it took me about eight maybe eight nine months to put the book out because I literally I had a BlackBerry at the time. I literally would like sit in my car and like write the book on my BlackBerry. Now fast forward, I got done by the book in two months, maybe less than that. Because technology is the great equalizer for everything, and so for me, the way that you write a book is And this is what I would suggest to anybody is to start with the end in mind. So before you even write a first chapter or anything, understand what is it that you want people to get out of this book. And now I need you to say this is the end, this is what I want people to get, and then not work your way backwards. Right, So if I want people to get the financial lessons that jay Z taught in four forty four, that's the main thing. So when people who are finished, they're gonna understand how to build generational wealth.
Speaker 3: And so how do I do that? So now I go backwards and I outline.
Speaker 5: I say, all right, so I'm gonna go from from self sufficiency to cooperative economics to generational wealth, right, and I'm gonna break down each of those into chapters. Now that I've broken down into chapters, I'm gonna go to each chapter and I'm gonna bullet point everything and say these are the main things I want to talk about in each different chapter and literally dictate the rest.
Speaker 3: Now you didn't did you go to formal school for that? You study literature? This is just all all self taught.
Speaker 5: So so here's what I realized, and this is a great message as to you don't necessarily have to listen to people because they've done it, or because they have a master's or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 3: Do what works for your audience, right.
Speaker 5: And what I realized was when I wrote my first book and then I started you know, that one did pretty well. And then I wrote my second book, which is What the Fight Go Twelve Steps of Repair on your Credit. I realized that people like that book because I wrote the way I talked, and my audience didn't care about syntax, they didn't care about you know, you know, and I don't want to say proper because at the end of the day, my goal was to get the message out to the people that I needed to get the message. And so what I decided to do is like, you know what if people are resonated with my writing because they like it, you know, I write the way I talk, then that's why I started to dictate books. After I dictate the book, I then I do send it to an editor of it, right, because I'm you know, I would dictate what is that?
Speaker 3: What does that mean? So like literally I pulled my off phone out.
Speaker 5: I gotta yeah, I got an MV eighty eight and I literally so now I got this outline, right, I have this outline.
Speaker 3: I know each of the chapters.
Speaker 5: So chapter one, you know, uh, you know, don't spend money on the V twelve engine. And so now right, and so now I'm literally speaking into my phone as if I was teaching it, right, And so as a public speaker, you know, if you tell me right now I need you to talk about a topic, I could get on my feet and talk about the topic. And so literally I would just talk into the microphone and dictate what you know, what I want people to learn from that chapter. The great thing about technology is because you have you know, you have uh.
Speaker 3: Not as you have services like fiver.
Speaker 5: Right, you go to fiver and get somebody to translate, right, to transcribe what you just said into the written form.
Speaker 3: And so now you go to fiver they transcribe it for you.
Speaker 5: Now you have a whole ten pages that you just dictated in twenty minutes. Literally in twenty minutes. You got cost supposed to cost for that maybe one.
Speaker 3: Hundred dollars, maybe two hundred dollars. You know what I'm saying. It depends on how you know how much time, right, and.
Speaker 5: So you know, you get them to to you know, to to transcribe it for you and then that that way. Now you have this book written or raw form of how you talk. You go through it first though, right, you go through it, you make sure it reads right. You you know, you may have to do some research, like so for me, I have to research certain stories. Right, So if I'm talking about you know, owning your rights and prints, I had to learn. I had to I had to talk about Prince's story and you know he didn't have a will, and you know what he wanted to do with his things, and I need to add those things. So those pieces you add later, like the research and all that stuff you add later. But the main topic your knowledge, what you want people to learn. You dictate that. You go through the book and literally I think you can.
Speaker 3: You can. You can write and publish a book two to three months times.
Speaker 7: And that's been the process from the first second book on or no.
Speaker 5: So I started this process. So I'm at I'm at seven books, book four to seven.
Speaker 4: I've dictated all all right, So that's how you actually write the book. Yeah, Now the next step of actually publishing a book getting it out there?
Speaker 3: What's that? Yeah?
Speaker 5: So publishing the book is literally going through Amazon, right, and so you know Amazon used to have a company called create Space, but they all kind of merged it now into their their kind Kindle.
Speaker 3: So if you go to.
Speaker 5: Amazon KDP dot com, so it's like can do direct publishing is the name of the company. Literally, Uh, you would go? So I use five again, right, so I get a book cover done?
Speaker 3: So can you playing with Fiver? I just heard that company book can you plain? Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 5: So Fiver is a marketplace for any service that you need, graphic designers, anything.
Speaker 3: You need, you need, freelance, yeah, freelance.
Speaker 5: People, right, And so the great thing about Fiver is that Fiver has freelancers from all over the world. And so in someone in Indonesia who is a graphic designer is not going to charge you one thousand dollars for a book cover. They're literally gonna charge you ten to fifteen dollars or twenty dollars or thirty dollars something that we look at all this is nothing, but for them, you know, the course of living is so low, so that's a lot of money for them, right, And so I use fiver to create you know, I use a graphic designer on Fiver. I literally never paid more than fifty dollars for a book cover after I use Fiver and my book covers. If you if you go to Amazon right now, you look at all of my book covers. They all look professional. They're all done, you know, with top quality. But I'm paying fifty dollars for that. You also can go to fiber right so once you are you finished writing the book, you get somebody to edit the book for you. Uh, there's a layout design, right, so when you look at the book, the book has to be laid out somehow. I use fiber for that as well. I go to fiver. Wait, hold on, let me stop giving them plug sponsor dollar cut the yeah, come and check fiveer cut. So you can go to any but but but you know, like you could, you could literally, you know, get somebody to design the inside of the book for you as well.
Speaker 3: And that's how you get the professional look, right.
Speaker 5: And so once you have your cover, your cover file, you have your your inside file, you then upload that to Kindle Direct Publishing. And there's a couple of things that that happens with that right number one. Once you uploaded, you write, you know you you put your title in, you put the subtitle, you put your name, your bio, you put all that stuff in, and that's how it's gonna be populated into Amazon dot com and ready for sale. The only sort of caveat to that is that Kindle Direct Publishing will give you an ISBN number, right, And so your i SBN number is your is the book where people search the book as your barcode. And so if you go through Amazon to get an ISBN number, when you go to Amazon, it's going to show Amazon is gonna say you independently published this book, right, Or you can buy your own ISBN number, which is if you go to Bowkers. So Balker's is the company that offers ISBN numbers and that's what identifies your book. If you go to buy Bokers and I think the website is my Identifiers dot Com, you can actually buy your own ISBN number.
Speaker 3: Why is that important? Right?
Speaker 5: It's important because for me as a speaker, as somebody who you know, my books are are how I teach the people. But it also is a way like a resume that lets me in so people could book me for speaking engagements, people book me for media, you know, media opportunities, things of that nature, which give me more visibility to some more books. For some reason, there's still this negative taboo on self published office and so if I use Amazon to to give me my ISVN number, it's gonna show that I'm independently published and people are not gonna.
Speaker 3: Take me as serious. Serious.
Speaker 5: So what I do is I go to Bowker's and I buy my own ISVN number under my own company called One Brick Publishing. Right, so all of my books have been distributed under One Brick Publishing. The reason why it's One Brick Publishing and it's not Ash Cash Publishing is because I want you to I don't want you to be like, oh, Ash Cash.
Speaker 3: The same guy as doing another lot. It always looks better if it's AIG exactly.
Speaker 5: So now people are like yo. I literally get people to hit me like yo, can you connect me with one brick publisher?
Speaker 3: Back?
Speaker 5: It sound dope, And honestly, you know what one brick Publishing is because back in the days, I used to move those bricks.
Speaker 3: Brick publisher out of time. So that's where that's where, that's where I got it.
Speaker 5: From Actually, I was watching a Will Smith story and Will Smith was giving his example about how him and his brother got you know.
Speaker 3: Earners, what's up?
Speaker 7: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate, Let Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, But understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 9: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With INDEED sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash p o d katz thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash po d kat z thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 5: Just Pops tore down this wall and told them to rebuild the wall, and they were looking like, yoh, I'm anna rebuild the wall. They said, yo, build it one brick at a time, and if you make sure that this is the best brick possible, then you'll have a good wall. So I was like, oh, that's a dope story. Then that's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna build a publishing company one brick at a time. And so now when you look at my books, they're all published by one brick. And the reason why that's important because now when people are looking for somebody, looking for experts, they're looking for people, uh, they're gonna see everything.
Speaker 3: You know, everything's professional.
Speaker 5: It gives this, you know, illusion that you're signed to a publishing house and people will take you more serious from that.
Speaker 3: Now that's the dope before I just want to see you're early leadship man, we give out not fast game fact like.
Speaker 4: Yo, honestly, we might have to start charging for myself.
Speaker 3: It's a little different. C's getting crazy. It's crazy.
Speaker 7: So you have you haven't done an audio book yet, right about? You haven't off a book, So is it the same process? Like, so if I you do it through I'm not gonna say the companies. Yeah, right, you send it to an editor. Now they tell you what you need to say, and you do it through the audio.
Speaker 3: No so so, so way I do the audios?
Speaker 5: And that was that was another thing, right, So I was like, so I make I make a living off a book, so you know what I'm saying. And what I realized was that you know, and it happened and I went backwards because when I put out the j book, the four forty four book, I had uber drivers like, yo, bro, I need this book, but I'm in my uber all day and I'm like, oh, and so I kept forgetting about the market of people who are the drive who don't have time right or not pick up a physical book. And so literally like fashion the garage band, Like I literally recorded my audio books right right, you know what I'm saying, Like I literally you know what I'm saying, like like recording my books on garage band once to and I like I read the book. So I'm literally like reading the book once it's done. Even if I mess up with whatever the case may be, to get get everything right, I send it to somebody on on that company again and you can look for you know, you know, audio edit to whatever the case may be.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: They edited, they even take out the dead air, so like like sometimes if it doesn't sound right and there's dead air, they take they like they edited compress it. I mean you you know you listen to it. All freelance, right, yeah, all freelance. Yeah, all these people are freelance. And then there's a company called a c X. It's all owned by Amazon. Amazon run things. So yeah, they run things. So a c X right, a a c X dot com. Uh, if you go to them, now, you upload your file, you put the title and all that stuff, and then they distribute the book to audible dot com and iTunes and so now if you look look for my book on audio, you'll see it on audible, You'll see it on iTunes.
Speaker 3: And that's how I do audio books. They do for free. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So so the so the thing about Amazon and a c X and on these people, it's print on demand, right, which means that it's all consignment. So it's not like you don't have to pay anything. They just take a percentage of what's being sold.
Speaker 3: Right. I was gonna ask you that because somebody else try My man I M P O P. Steve. Yeah, he wrote a book and that's my guy too. Yeah. Yeah. I spoke to them and.
Speaker 4: He was saying that, like you said, because I was asking him, like, what if you have like a thousand books and they're not selling. He was like, well, they only print the books as you want it. If you go into a show, you can have like one hundred books, but until then it's ordered and then when they actually order it, then they'll print it.
Speaker 3: Can you explain.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So it's so it's the dopest thing. And that's why I think. And it's two different business models, right. I'm not of the thinking that one is better than the other. Do what works for you, right, Because we all know Eric Tom, the hip hop preacher, when he came out with his book, he did not put it on Amazon, right, He sold them straight out his garage.
Speaker 3: He did all that, right. And you know, obviously you keep the lion share.
Speaker 5: But if you have the capital upfront to do that, to buy the books and do all that stuff, then that's fine. Or if you have the you know, if people are reaching out to you, right you have the demand, then that makes sense. But if somebody's just starting out, I literally write like I can literally put out a book for less than five hundred dollars, right, because all I'm telling you is that all I need is the person to do to cover for me. I need an editor, and I need somebody to do the design for me. And then now I have the book out, what happens is I set the price. Right, So let's say I want I want to charge you know, I want to charge fourteen ninety nine for my books. I put it out on Amazon for fourteen ninety nine and so so, so I don't have to pay anything at all. Every time somebody orders a book Amazon, they take care of the printing and so they minus the printing course, and so you know, a book like this, you know, probably probably cost you about two dollars and fifty cents to print, and so they take out that two dollars and fifty cent from that fourteen ninety nine, and then just to have put it on their platform, they might take twenty to forty percent of that and then you get the difference. And so that's how it works where you could sell a thousand books, but you don't ever have to worry about keeping you know, you know, inventory in your trunk or anything like that.
Speaker 3: I mean for me as a speaker. And that's the great thing about.
Speaker 5: It too, is that you know, when I when when people buy books on Amazon, I get I get a check from them each month right at the end of the month. But when I do speaking engagements, I'm not you know, I'm I'm ordering my books from them.
Speaker 3: And think about it.
Speaker 5: If I print out this book and it cost me two dollars and fifty cent, I'm selling it to you hand in hand ten dollars. So I'm still making seven dollars and fifty cent and I had to put up no, you know, like I had to put up the two fifty up front to get it, but I don already know. Oh I'm about to go to the speaking engagement or you know, I'm about to speak at.
Speaker 3: The school and the school wants X amount of copies.
Speaker 5: And so it's really a low overhead way to make money by not having to keep that keep a lot of a lot of the reve or inventory in your trunk, you know, in your garage. Because I remember my first book, like those books were collecting dusk. I was like, hype, you know, I put the money out of the front. Let me get a thousand copies. I'm thinking that they're gonna sell out and I'm gonna sitting there look at these like blowing dust off of them.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying? We got, we got.
Speaker 7: I mean it's pretty similar to us. Like a lot of times we go places and people ask us like, yo, can I get a shirt?
Speaker 3: A shirt?
Speaker 7: And we're like, well, we really gonna carry the shirt, right, we got a copy that you order them online. You go to our website, you can get them. We don't walk around with inventory, right, because like who wants to.
Speaker 5: Be stuck with E five hundred exactly and right and exactly putting out that upfront capital and then having to wait or hustle your way to get rid of that inventory, opposed to just saying, you know what, if the demand is there, let me put it out there. And if the demand is there, it's a win win for everybody. And that's why I like that that business model.
Speaker 4: And all right, so for independent authors, how does that work? As far as different, Like if you signed to a major public kit like Simon and Schuster that it's like I think Charlamage because he actually Charlomagne, he spoke about that where he signed to Solomon Schuster and.
Speaker 3: He did the book Black Privilege.
Speaker 4: Then Think did another book and he was saying he was like, you know what, I should have just did this myself.
Speaker 3: And he would have killed it he did. So, like, what's the like, is it like a record deal like they take? Exactly, It's exactly like it. It's exactly like a record deal.
Speaker 5: So so pretty much it's exactly like a record pretty much.
Speaker 3: Simon and Schuster says, oh you hot, right now, all.
Speaker 5: Right, I'm gonna put out this book and I'm gonna give you points off the book, right and so if I sell the book for ten dollars, I'll give you a dog like and then numbers of it, like it's so archaic, like their numbers are probably still that. Right, if they sell a book for ten dollars, you probably still only get one dollar off of every book you sell.
Speaker 3: Right, he has two number one best sellers exactly.
Speaker 5: And so what happened is, you know, they definitely gave him an advance because of who he is, Right, So what happens is they but they give him this advance, They say, here's this money up front, and then whatever we sell you get, you know, like we deduct that from the advance and you'll get royalties forever. Right, you'll get a dollar off every book you sell forever. But who gets that nine dollars? Right, it's Simon and Schuster. He's a big enough name that if he self published the book himself, he would have kept the line share of that. And that's why I love being a self published author, right, because that's exactly that. When I first wrote my book, I knew that I have direct access to my consumer through Twitter, and then Instagram came and then Facebook to the point and I'm not even done yet, Like I haven't even hit the height of where I know I'll be but imagine that right the moment where millions of people know that ash Cash chiefes financial education and people say, wow, he got these books. I want to learn about credit? Where can I go? I want to learn about this? And they go and get all of these books. I eat off that forever.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But this intellectual probably, and like you said two off camera, is like, that's something that stays.
Speaker 3: That's a cataalog like music.
Speaker 4: Even when Nipsey, A lot of people just got up on Nipsey last year with his last album, but he had a Body of Work mixtape before that. So when they heard Victory Lap, they were so impressed with it, and it's like, Okay, let me go back to Bulletain, got no names on it and all the other stuff that he did early on. But you already have that music since. Even Chris Gotti said that on our interview with him, when he was like, once the music is dead, it should be there forever because DMX is still going to make money if somebody buys. It's dark and hell is exactly it came out fifteen years exactly.
Speaker 7: It's like they had the Wall Street Jonna actually published this article on slick Rick and how a lot of that. He is the most sample song in the history of hip hop. And he still makes money off it, yep, but not as much as he could have. Right, he still is YO.
Speaker 5: Think about this, and I think I would to say I wrote it in the four to forty four book I talked about with the Houston right when Bodyguard came out. I Will Always Love You her biggest record ever. Right, Dolly Parton wrote it. She made the least amount of money from it. Whitney used to make the least amount of money from it.
Speaker 3: Dolly Partner. It's a sample, she wrote her. This is her song. It's her. I think she actually performed it before too. It's a remake and remake of the song, right and so she.
Speaker 5: So, so you know now Whitney Houston, you know, crossed over. She has this movie with Kevin Costner and all these people are like, oh my god, I Will Always Love You.
Speaker 3: I think. I think it's so forty two million. They're crazy numbers.
Speaker 7: And she had, I mean, thankfully for her, she had like three other number ones off the sound.
Speaker 3: The biggest one was always you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So and so the point is as as the Honorable Sean Carter says, until you own your right, until you own your own you can't be free. It's about it's about ownership. And you know, again, you have to believe in yourself right. And a lot of times people are gonna say, yo, you know what, I'm gonna take it. I mean, you know, sometimes people will sell their intellectual property because they want to put it in the door, they want to do certain things. But if you believe that you're information is gold. If you believe, or if somebody else believes, and they're willing to pay you for it, sometimes waiting it out right, like master P said. Master P was like, yo, they when once they offered me a million dollars, I realized I knew I was worth you know what I'm saying. And so because of that, he held out and that's why he made so much money.
Speaker 3: And so we have to be of that mindset.
Speaker 5: And that's what you know, I like to teach, and that's what we're teaching, is ownership is key because that that is that is your you know, that's your income, that's your legacy. That's where you could pass down. You can't pass right, all right, Great if you get this royalty from another company them like they were not. They did not write the book. They did not, they did not write the verse. Why they getting the most of it?
Speaker 3: Why? Why why am I signed to you? Right?
Speaker 5: Yes, if you have the distribution channel, then we should partner, we should make money together.
Speaker 3: But why am I only getting ten percent?
Speaker 5: And and yeah, you got costs associated with it, but you're still making more than me.
Speaker 3: And it's my name, my likeness, my infotion.
Speaker 5: My music, my whatever, and now you're you're able to profit the most of it.
Speaker 3: It doesn't make sense.
Speaker 4: Gyms, A lot of hyms, A lot of hyms right there. All right, So now we got the whole book industry under wraps. So now we're going to go into some some tips for everyday people, all right, So in the last segment, we're going to talk about some financial tips for everyday people.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: We're going to try to give a few gyms that people can use in a day to day life because a lot of times, as you said, we don't know and it's an ongoing learning process.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So one of the things I want to talk about is that we covered credit and the importance of credit. And I know you have a credit company, right, sure, But I got a question a DM where somebody says, like, what's the best way to pay off your debt? Like, I know some people have a process where they pay off the.
Speaker 3: Higher interest credit cards first.
Speaker 4: Some people do the lowest balances first, Like what's your philosophy on that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So so I like, I like the lowest balance philosophy, and so I wrote a book called you Know What The Fight Goes twelve Stepisode and your credit right, and I talk about the snowballs is what it's called. But the reason though, right, the reason why the philosophy on taking your lowest balance and paying that off first is important is because you want some small wins, right.
Speaker 3: It's the mindset.
Speaker 5: I've seen people who try to say, all right, you know what, this credit card is charging me the highest interest rate, and so I'm gonna pay that one first, and then they're paying the minimums and they're trying to pay that off, and they wind up looking at their credit card balances each month and it looks like nothing is going anywhere.
Speaker 3: They get discouraged.
Speaker 5: They wind up doing something else because they don't see any forward motion. The best way to pay down credit card debt is it will always be. To take all of your credit card your credit cards, put them in order from smallest to largest balance, make sure that you pay off the minimums on all of the cards. And but it's gonna start with a budget. Right, You're gonna have to budget a certain amount. You're gonna say, you know what, I'm gonna budget four hundred dollars each month towards debt, pay the minimums on all of the cards, and whatever's left over from that four hundred dollars, you're gonna take that money and you're gonna pay off the lowest amount completely. Right, the following month, you do the same thing. You take the lowest amount, you pay the minimums, and then whatever's left over you snowball that amount to the next one. You keep doing that until you get this one account that's your biggest account.
Speaker 3: And now you take that four hundred dollars and.
Speaker 5: You tackle it. You keep tackling and keep tackling it, and then eventually you'll realize that you'll be debt free. That works because it motivates you. Right, if you have a credit card that has two hundred dollars on it, and you went from having five cards to four cards.
Speaker 3: You see like, oh wow, I see the result. I saw that.
Speaker 5: I that if I stay focused, you know, I cut down this one balance, then the next month, you know that card that has five hundred dollars, it takes you two months to pay that off.
Speaker 3: Then that's that.
Speaker 5: Those are those small wins, and psychologically it gives you the you know, the motivation to keep it.
Speaker 7: At the same time, when you're chopping them down, you're decreasing the utilization rate absolutely, So we're trying to keep that under thirty hundred thirty percent.
Speaker 5: And I think what people people love that thirty percent number. But the fact of the matter too is that so your credit goes three hundred to eight fifty, anything over seven twenty is excellent credit. Those who have a seven twenty or above actually keep their utilization between ten and fifteen percent lower even lower, right, because the mindset or the way the fycal algorithm works is that it rewards people who don't seem as if they need credit. So the more it looks like you need credit, the more they'll lower your.
Speaker 4: School That's the fact. Because actually, I just I haven't checked my credit a long time. I just checked it and it was a seven eighty and at fifteen percent utilization ragual exactly that same number in seven eighty.
Speaker 7: So because if you think about it, right, if I got a hundred dollar card and I'm paying ninety dollars right right, that seems affordable.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 7: But if I got a five thousand dollars debt and I'm paying that, you don't feel it exactly.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, They're gonna take interest on that.
Speaker 7: Now you really only pay fifty dollars, right, doesn't It doesn't feel the same.
Speaker 4: But let me ask you this. Let me ask you this though. So let's say you have ten credit cards, right, you pay off all ten?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Four, Now you only start using one on a regular basis. You're not using the other nine. Does that hurt you? Does it?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 3: Yes? And no? Right?
Speaker 5: So what happens is this is that your utilization ratio is an aggregate of all the cards that you have, right. And so if you have you know, ten cards, you're not using any other nine and you're only using the one, it's gonna help you because that one card is a small percentage of your total utilization. But what happens is if you're not using the other nine cards, and the credit card companies realize that, you know what, this person's not using the cards, so I'm gonna close this account. Then as they close the accounts, that hurts you because now fifteen percent of your score is based on your length of credit history. And so one of those cards might have a card that you had for a long time which was helping you score, and once that card is closed, it negatively impacts you. Plus you use, you lose that utilization, right because now that credit limit is no longer available, so that your utilization ratio is gonna go up once they close those cards, right, And so it definitely is sort of like a gain, like if you have that many credit cards.
Speaker 3: A lot of times I.
Speaker 5: Like to say, if you want, like if credit matters, right, if credit doesn't matter, like if you're not gonna buy anything in a short term, then you know, I wouldn't put stuff on your credit cards just to keep this number up, right, But if credit matters, or if you're gonna buy something or whatever the case may be, and you need credit, I would say, you know, use your credit some credit cards for things that you would have paid cash for anyway. Right, And so if Let's say, for instance, you use cash to buy gas, right, use a credit card and that money that you would have you know, paid or that money you would have used to buy the gas, pay off the card with that, So that way did at least some activity on it.
Speaker 3: So the credit card companies don't close.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you this. Also, Let's say you get because they got all kind of credit cards. Now they got cards for like medical purposes.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So let's say you have a low utilization rate, but you get one card for a medical purpose and you max that card out. But your other utilization is good, but you max that one card out. That hurts you.
Speaker 3: It doesn't because it's the aggregate. Right.
Speaker 5: And so if you let's say you have ten cards with one thousand dollars, right, and you max out one card of one thousand dollars, your your utilization is still only ten percent, right, because your total available limit is ten thousand when you look at all the cars.
Speaker 3: And so that's what I was.
Speaker 5: Saying where it Yeah, when you close, it can hurt you because if now, if you max at one thousand dollars, and let's say the non cards say, you know what, he ain't using these cards to let me close these out.
Speaker 3: Now, your utilization go.
Speaker 5: From ten percent to one hundred percent, and that's going to immediately you know.
Speaker 7: That's a smart share assue though, Right, if you have ten cars, maybe you have ten different purposes. So if it's a supermarket, or if it's gas, or if it's you know, electronics or something like that, Like you have a purpose for each one, just like I'm randomly that one's match.
Speaker 3: Let me go to the next. What I'm saying, make a purpose for each card?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because because because credit card debt is the worst type of debt that you could possibly have, right, Like credit card debt, you're paying more than what it's worth.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and student loans, but.
Speaker 5: I mean, but even with student loans, you know, you know, uh, at least with student loans you get a degree. You know, you're able to like you know, you know what I'm saying, Like I'm not, you know, because I didn't get a degree till later on in life.
Speaker 3: So I'm you know, I could go either way with student loans.
Speaker 5: But credit cards are like is there's no reason why you should be paying credit card debt?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: All Right, let's good information, very good information. So let's go retiring place. Yes, right, people will ask another question I got in the DM okay, so four one k yeah, Ira raw Ira can start with the four one K? Why is it a good idea for people to put money to a four monk man? So the fall on k it's like free money. So so first all is this right?
Speaker 5: Is that when you think about your the money that you pay to the irs, uh, when you put money into a retirementccount, it lowers you you know, what you have to pay to them because part of that money is now tax is not tax deductible, right, or you don't pay taxes on that money, right, And so putting your money in a four one k allows you to say, you know what, Uh, in the future, I'll have this money to retire off, but I don't have to pay taxes on it right now.
Speaker 3: Right. But also a lot of employers will match.
Speaker 5: Your four one k, so they might they might match you up to four percent, which means that if or four percent six percent. Four percent has been sort of like the industry norm that I've heard. And so if a job says if you they want to encourage you to say for retirement so they say if you put it, whatever you put in, we're gonna we're gonna match it up to four percent, which means that four percent is free money. And as long as you're in vested, they might they might have a stipulation, all right, you have to be with a with our company five years or whatever the case may be, you keep that money. And so not investing in a four one K, you're actually losing money, free money that the employer would have given you. And so you know, so that's one reason. But then when you think about a retirement, just as a whole, social Security might not be here for us.
Speaker 3: And so by the.
Speaker 5: Time you know, we become of age and it's time to retire, there's gonna be a certain number that you're gonna need each month to live off of, and you're gonna want to have an account that will be able to supply some of that income so that you you don't have to be sixty seventy working at Walmart.
Speaker 7: So and in terms of people who come from the education field, obviously, I mean I speak to teachers all the time, and yes, they educate our children, but they have no idea about finance.
Speaker 3: So we don't have a four to one K, we have a four H three B same thing.
Speaker 5: Same, same exact thing, right, because the importance of that, especially you know, someone that works in the education field, is that you want to make sure that you're not gonna be able to teach forever and then when when it's time for you to to to leave that you know that institution. You want to be able to have money coming in. You want to diversify your income, and so putting putting that money out up front is going to allow it to grow and if you find right. So so, you know a lot of people are like weary, you know, especially when you think about the Burnie made offs and what happened and the you know, the great recession two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine, people are like leary of you.
Speaker 3: Know, putting their money in the markets.
Speaker 5: But if you remove that isolated incident out on average, you know, you know, when you look at the stock market, markets are you know, it's always positive, right, and so just kind of keep an eye out on where your money's being invested.
Speaker 3: But that money is also gonna go.
Speaker 5: It's not like the money that you put in is that's not gonna stay at the amount that you put in, you're actually gonna earn interest on that, and that money is gonna grow through compound interest. So that way, you know, what you start off with is gonna give you a nice little cushion, you know, for you when you retire.
Speaker 3: And also the row is another great way. Yeah, I love it off.
Speaker 4: That's the way where you you you don't pay, you don't save money or taxes today, but it's tax free later on.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And honestly I like that better, right because what happens is this, you know, tax deductible means that you know, I can deduct this amount if I put if I put ten thousand dollars, or let's say I put five thousand dollars towards my retirement, uh, and I made forty five thousand dollars, then I'm only I could deduct that five thousand off my taxes. I'm paying forty thousand taxes. But then now that five thousand that I put, when it grows to one hundred thousand when I retire, you know, I now need to pay taxes as I withdraw that money, right and so and so it's it's you know, it's tax deductible, but you pay taxes later. And the whole thought process is that when I get older, I'll have lower a lower tax burden, and so that so that that works that way. But with the ROW I love the ROFF because it's not tax deductible, but it's tax free distribution, right, which means, all right, great, I put five thousand dollars into this into this roth IRA this year I made forty five thousand dollars. I'm gonna pay forty five thousand taxes, right, But now that five thousand, when it grows to one hundred thousand, and I could withdraw a tax free I never have to owe the I R S anything on that money, on that on that growth of that money. You know, I love that especially for young people. Maybe if you're a little older, you know it may not necessarily be the right thing to do. But the reason why I live it for young people is because you know, right now, as as a young person who has more, you know, more earning ability, you could take you know, bigger risk. And if you take that money that's in a raw and you put it into something that is giving you a great rate of return, all of that growth, you don't have to pay taxes on Yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, somebody said one time they said if if you if you did, if you were never told the information, you can't be help responsible if you were told the information and just chose not to do anything with that's on you. Absolutely agree, So you can never say you weren't told the information. Yeah, applications to your application to you, We're trying to give you as much information as we can give you, but ultimately you have to apply it. So speaking about applied information, can you talk about the money Right Legacy Program.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I started a mind right Legacy program and you can visit mind right legacy dot com to see what the program is about. But pretty much when I was working as a as a private banker, we talked about this right that they had a team, they had the tools, they had the resources wealthy people to maintain and grow their wealth. And I realized that, yes, it's cool that I'm giving out this information, but what ways can I help people create wealth for themselves as well? And so with the mind Right Legacy Program, it's it's literally a twelve step program that I create that I created that gives you twelve steps to financial freedom. So everything from how to budget manage your credit, creating multiple streams of income, you know, estate planning or everything that you would need to create financial freedom. But then also it comes with an app that allows you to see what your net worth is, right, because I think that people need to understand that just because you make money doesn't mean that you are net worth positive, right, And your net worth is literally your assets minus your liability, Like what do you actually own?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Like, after you pay off everybody, what is it? What's yours? And so my program allows you to see in real time, so you can connect all of your bank accounts, you could look at all of your debt, and it gives you real time to say, Okay, you know, I owe one hundred thousand dollars in debt. I currently own an assets two hundred thousand, so I have one hundred thousand or it might be negative.
Speaker 3: Right. A lot of people who I work with.
Speaker 5: Now they start off at a place where they have a student loan debt, they have you know, mortgages or whatever the case may be, and they don't have that much assets. But now they're able to see, Okay, let me set these goals for myself, and now I'm gonna work on eliminating debt and increasing my assets, and they get access to me as a financial coach.
Speaker 3: We do live you know, live seminars. It's really an.
Speaker 5: Affordable program for anybody who's serious about creating financial freedom, not living paycheck to paycheck, getting getting rid of debt, and then the most important, leaving a legacy for their loved one.
Speaker 3: Financial freedom. Is I only hope, only hope only we want. We want to thank you for coming in.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you a lot of wisdom, a lot of wisdom, man, I hope everybody. You gotta listen to like three different times and have your books ready. Yeah, for sure in every segment. But how can the people contact you? How can they get information on the program?
Speaker 3: How can they? Yeah, all your social media handles and all that and now for sure.
Speaker 5: So the easiest way is my website, I am ashcash dot com. Everything is there from you know, my story, my mind right, legacy program, everything you could contact me through there, but then also hit me up on social media.
Speaker 3: Everything is I am.
Speaker 5: Ash cash Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, very responsive. You know, I work for the people, you know, so you know, for me, it's about giving that information out.
Speaker 3: So if you have any questions anything, just hit me up for sure, Troy. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean we brought up NIP and we're gonna talk about Patreon dot com and it's growing. You know, it's like Proud to Pay program where if you want to support the podcast you can just five different tears and last I think last time we spoke, we had like thirty five and this week we got ten new members of so I'm just gonna give them a shout out. Danita and Diyad, Crystal, Daniel Sena, and Red Regis the day one.
Speaker 3: He's from the hometown, So shout out to Red. No.
Speaker 5: I think I know Red. I hit Reg up like he hit me. He was like he sent me one of your things and I was like, you're about to be on that show.
Speaker 3: He was like, yeah, I grew up with them. Sure yeah yeah.
Speaker 7: So Patreon dot com, Backslash and Nealisia feel free to join.
Speaker 3: And like I said, we got bonus content up there.
Speaker 7: We get the audio edited free up there, and our website too on your Leasia dot com for the merch, like you said, like it's on demand, so if you want the merch's there and continue support.
Speaker 4: Yeah, somebody it was dope story. Somebody on Instagram, they like, yeah, what's your cash app? They like, because you gave me information on the avay, Like, I'll just give them too, free man, I got.
Speaker 9: You.
Speaker 4: So cash app is dollars or lesia if anybody wants to know. But yeah, that was dope. So yeah, Patreons, you said that's just the way to financially support the podcast, and you know it takes money to run a podcast, so that's what we're using for. And then we're going to Atlanta. We can we're looking forward to that. I can't say that enough. Atlanta, Atlanta, Atlanta. We are coming in two days. I'm looking forward to it. When you see us around the city, show us some love, let us know where to eat at you know what's going on. You know people who want yeah, show that too, that too, and every every every city we go to, we try to just tap in with the people and really, you know, check out the vibes and see what's going on. So we're looking forward to it. But before we go, we do a book tip every week. So being that you're an author, I'm gonna let you give the books tip on your books, all your books, your newest book, your new book coming out, whatever you got to say.
Speaker 3: So the flow is yours for the book to now for sure.
Speaker 5: So so so you know, definitely, you know, we talked about Nipsey. You know, I have the new book coming out called Hustle Nomics, which is coming out on his birthday, August fifteenth.
Speaker 3: It's actually gonna be a free e.
Speaker 5: Book, right and so you know, go go to Amazon dot com look at Hustle Nomics, and really it's a blueprint, you know. You know they say the reason why he called you know, his his his journey the marathon is because right when you think about a marathon, a marathon always continues, right, you pass the baton to somebody else. And so really this is the blueprint to financial independence, the blueprint of owning your own the blueprint of you know, you know, continuing the legacy. So definitely, you know, check out the book, but you know, if you also check out the wake Up Call Financial Lessons Learned from four forty four, you know, based on on Jay Z's album, and it's.
Speaker 7: Just said we're going to teach the cause now have to bro he designed podcast on.
Speaker 5: Absolutely absolutely, and so this book right here gives you a step by step guid on how to implement everything they talked about on the album, And and again I said this, I said this earlier. But until you own your own you can't be free. And that's the message. And in the wake up call, that's a message in house nomics. It's about ownership. Think about everybody who built wealth, right, J just crossed it. I know, I know we're over, but J just crossed the billion ala mark. Look at all of the things that he did to cross that billion dollar mark. All of it is ownership, ownership and businesses. Music was a small percentage of it. It's about ownership.
Speaker 3: I came into the game, went more money than puff. That's it.
Speaker 5: Money enough, hall them baby my full puff.
Speaker 3: All right, y'all, thank you for rocking with us. We'll see you next week. Peace please.
Speaker 10: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right, leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,