Speaker 1: And we are off on Patriots training camp for twenty twenty six. We're here to break down practice number one. All right, the first practice is in the books and we're here to break it down.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 3: Pretty exciting day.
Speaker 4: I would say, you're already under the weather.
Speaker 5: It's on the day, Day one. I spent the whole night last night preparing for today.
Speaker 6: So let's go. And now he's like all horse and scratchy throat.
Speaker 4: I can barely get it out. I'm just gonna lean into.
Speaker 1: It for It'll get better as as we go.
Speaker 6: Along, I promise.
Speaker 2: But let's start with a little bit of news. Of course, Gay Bacchus report that he had signed. We spent so much time talking about him not being signed. Paul good sign.
Speaker 1: Reports are he's gonna be here sooner than later.
Speaker 6: Great news. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Jordan Schultz reported, you know, the middle of the practice that it looks like a four year deal he's signed sealed. Hopefully we'll get to see him out on the field quickly. You know, you never know how long it takes. I think Mike Grabel has been pretty forthcoming with that. They haven't really seen Acus, so they don't know what kind of condition he is physically, but hopefully that can be a shorter run up and you get them out on the field and you know, pads next week. Hopefully by that time, you know, we're starting to see and hear from gay Acus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go Sunshine for a second.
Speaker 4: Hopefully ten years from now we're talking about, Hey, remember when gay Acus didn't sign his rookie contract right away and there's a little hole out thing going on, and now we're fitting.
Speaker 3: Them for a red jacket Like who would have thought? Right? Like that? That's what you hope.
Speaker 4: Now, Paul brought up some of the injury stuff that could still be lingering, and that's what I'm most interested in now, you know. Mike Rabel on Friday said, well, we haven't seen him, so we don't know if he's one hundred percent healthy and ready to practice.
Speaker 3: So now that they can get him in the building.
Speaker 4: Does he end up on pup NFI something like that or is he just out there you know, maybe on Sunday and we're just ready to go. That's the hope. But now that's the next domino to drop here. Is he healthy and is he able to stay off one of those lists?
Speaker 2: Yes, we'll see when we see gave back a set on our field.
Speaker 1: The other part, Christian is as we're wondering if he was kind of repeat what he did in mini camp, which was individual drills, then would not have been a team drills. But Paul, he was out there in team drills as well. Maybe a sign of good faith that maybe negotiations are head in the right direction.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but it's positive.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: This might be even better news if you ask me that he was out there at first eleven on eleven rep. He's got aj Brown locked up down the sideline. You know, I would say a mediumish back shoulder fade, but he's right there in Brown's pocket. He was doing eleven on eleven work that we did not see during the spring. So that's a really good sign. A lot of his teammates were asked about what that meant, and they all said the same thing, that he's a team first guy and he wants to be here, and he's got all the things that are.
Speaker 6: Important football wise are important to him. Great sign.
Speaker 4: Yeah, before practice, you know. Robert Kraft also said that the Patriots have offered him a huge contract that would reset the cornerback market, most biggest contract in Patriots history, I think where the exact words as well. So hopefully both sides are sort of getting to a negotiation point where they might get a deal done.
Speaker 3: So I was surprised.
Speaker 4: I thought we were going to see a little bit spring Gonzo that was going to be in positional drills, maybe a walk through here and there, but not in the full live eleven on eleven. So when he was out there for that, I can't imagine that he would be doing that this early in training camp if they were worlds apart on a contract.
Speaker 3: So hopefully that means they're getting closed.
Speaker 7: So we move on to the field, not you know, the most action packed practice you would assume the first practice of training camp early down work, run work, Paul, But you mentioned the first play aj Brown, Drake may look in his way Christian Zalez and coverage kind of you know, wasn't complete, but maybe a sign of what's to come.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I think that you're going to see those two, you know, hooking up quite often this summer. But you know, one of the things that we saw quite often last year was him looking deep down field for Kishon Booty and you know, first time that they looked his way diving catch, you know, and Booty's open behind the coverage and I think looked like maybe a zone like I don't know, it was hard to tell Byered and Woodson was sort of over in that area. But nice diving catch. Helmet pops off, certainly the biggest reaction from the crowd today. A strong crowd too to open it. Beautiful day, perfect conditions to open camp. But Kayshawan Boody just continues to you know, you throwd me the ball and I'm going to catch it, and you guys can figure out where I fit into the offense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great way to put it, because I thought in the spring when he showed up for Mini camp as well, right away he was catching passes down the field just like he was last year. And I saw him a few times line up inside the formation in today's practice. So he's lining up everywhere. He's catching bombs still from Drake May. So you know, this is one that I've sort of flip flopped a little bit on, like I'm getting a little bit warmer to the idea of like let's just figure this out. Keep them, Yeah, just keep them and we'll figure out a place to play him and they'll move around, and you know, they'll keep guys fresh by having four or five guys.
Speaker 3: That you trust that can play.
Speaker 4: I also thought Bob Douglas had it a couple of catches today, smoked Mike Brown on one where they got matched up into man.
Speaker 3: In the slot.
Speaker 4: So both those guys making plays out there today on Day one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Romeo Dobbs, well, a couple of catches.
Speaker 1: I mean, not a lot, you know, not a lot exciting today, but he stood out.
Speaker 6: Good sideline stuff too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you you mentioned one that was a fastball from Tommy DeVito that he snared, and then he had a nice you know, just sort of I like to call them Patriot plays, plays that looked like.
Speaker 6: Tom Brady used to run them.
Speaker 5: Just a routine twelve yard out from Drake made to Romeo Dobbs on the on the left side on the right sideline for the offense. Just routine and that's what you want to see. Nice smooth, you know, smooth hookup where everybody looked like they were in the right spot. So, yeah, it's still helmets and shorts and stuff like that, but I thought there was some some plays to be made on both sides.
Speaker 6: The defense made some plays as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anything else I have stood out to you.
Speaker 3: Just do you want to go offense offside line? Yeah? I think that that would be the next thing. It wasn't a major.
Speaker 4: Change from the spring left to right Campbell Vera, Tucker Wilson on whenuses, but we did see a little bit of a rotation there at right tackle and Caleblomo repping exclusively at right tackle. I had one rep as the jumbo tight end that we saw but repping at right tackle, but he didn't. He wasn't the first guy up with the ones to rotate in for Moses, but then he eventually rotated in a couple of times for Moses as well. But I thought it was notable at least today's practice. And this is the best part of camp is we'll see how it builds. You know, does he move someplace else tomorrow, But for right now he's on that right tackle plane.
Speaker 1: It seems like, all right, well that's going to do it for episode one of the Camp Cast, presented by a New Balance.
Speaker 2: We'll be back tomorrow