Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, all the smoke coming to you from Miami, Jack, where we're at what you call this ship, Lake Plastic, Lake Placid, thirteen gators.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna I keep looking back. I know why. Yeah, I keep being that water move And we just want to give you.
Speaker 2: Guys a heads up. Man, were in the element right now. There's motherfucking airplanes flying over the traffic back.
Speaker 4: But we in the element.
Speaker 3: Plan from cocaine cowboys too. We got some right there.
Speaker 2: Some bells just got dropped in in the lake, hey, man, But we got a we got a really good one.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I came down to Miami early and played in college tournament and ran into my brother yesterday or the night before and just chopped it up and kicked it and asked if he would bless us with his presence today, man, And he said, hell, yeah, So I want to welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Man, spend my morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how's life? I mean, kids are doing well, family, what's going on?
Speaker 5: It couldn't be any happier except for, you know, with the hurricane situation. Outside of that, you know, but other than that, we're very very happy. My son Y g Molly it's an excellent year this year. You know, he's been at it for a long time, grinding, so it's nice when the kids flourish. My son Nico, they work together, they managed together. One of my brothers works with him, so it's nice, you know. And then my daughters they're doing their thing again.
Speaker 4: My one of my my.
Speaker 5: Eldest daughters, she's kind of the person who managed my kind of tell me what to do what not.
Speaker 3: Know.
Speaker 4: The children are in my life very very much.
Speaker 5: I every day at two o'clock ago get my little son from school. That is which is nice. I have to stop everything for that. So life is moving and living. Just launched a new relationship here in Florida with gold Flower, bringing line or the cannabis brand to Florida. So we're excited about that. You know, Marley Coffee, I'm trying to bring that to South Florida.
Speaker 4: So that's what's happening, bro.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm re enterprising the family legacy here because we got here in nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 4: We go to Bales right.
Speaker 2: There, right now, he said, drop one in the ards.
Speaker 3: Make sure y'all edit that out, and I go pick it up. I know what to do with it.
Speaker 2: That's what's happening bro the legacy in the fair. We're going to get to that. But I want to talk to you about about fatherhood because the way you smile and your energy when you talk about your kids, I could tell a special you know what I mean? We both are got seven of them. I mean you got eight that you're claiming. I mean, what is it like to see your children and see them grow and flourish and succeed and become young men and women? What's that meant for you?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: You know I have twelve children. I didn't have many. Get twelve children?
Speaker 2: Oh you get okay, I get how many? How many did you have?
Speaker 4: I don't have none. Oh the woman have man?
Speaker 3: Get respect? Respect?
Speaker 2: But you know how mean did you make?
Speaker 4: Help help make twelve and nine grand children?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: So that is the most joyful thing in life. So that's why sometimes when people say, man, have you been here?
Speaker 4: Have you been there?
Speaker 5: I said, no, kind of like being home, like being one place so you can always find me because I'm like, I want to go to the old school way. Because old school way, right, You're not like in Jamaica. You know, there's no fool no, no thing you check out, money yard, sure is there is that you can't find me at home, And so I want to be that kind of person where you can find me at home.
Speaker 4: You know, if you just go to my house, I'm there. I'm there. I want to that.
Speaker 5: So it's more about the family and those things, you know, and thus dealing everyday life with children, not I mean not teaching them. I can only teach a young one, the little one, I can teach him, but I can show the other ones. You know, they have to choose because once you get to a certain age where you have your relationship with woman, and whether you're a man or woman, you know you have boyfriend or girlfriend. That mean you have age you have to take on certain responsibility. So them, if I can't tell you who to date who not to date, I don't.
Speaker 4: I only can just reasoning with you, you know.
Speaker 5: So I tried to show my older children them my vibes like are reasoning and try to show them right from wrong in my perspective and say you know, you know, just know that I said this, so you can always trying to govern it because you have to be realistic in teaching right that has to come over standing. So no matter how much it's like it's like it's like shooting a basketball.
Speaker 4: You know, you don't get it the first time. It's repetitive. And even with the older ones, you have to tell them, said, listen, I told you that's the Lucid Lake. I told you that. I totally keep checking.
Speaker 5: You dig what I'm saying. So you got to keep telling them, he that's Lucia Lake. Don't go out there, Oh daddy, but oh but daddy, it looks so cool today.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 4: All right, so you got to keep on, you know. So that's just showing.
Speaker 5: The teaching is when I have to hold the hands, you know, when I get a certain age and more, no more holding hands. So I'm it's joyful to see that they're within the frequency, you know, and they overstand that Father represents a certain way of life. Father deal with certain principles. Father has a consciousness of a certain place and being that.
Speaker 4: It wants to represent a higher self.
Speaker 5: So when they when I give them those type of things, I want them to relate to that.
Speaker 4: Not by force, but by example and over yes.
Speaker 5: So so sometimes you know they might see that He's still that is always whom but you know, it's just I'm always happy at home. So it's a it's a journey. So here's how I got here.
Speaker 4: And come on, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on that, not this, Come on, understand when that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you understand when so, but I don't, you know, I don't.
Speaker 4: I'm not too rough on.
Speaker 2: Them, miss Lauren. Here you had babies with and and and I read something that.
Speaker 4: You like prince and princesses.
Speaker 2: You felt that it was your responsibility and and you weren't able to show her how you with it felt or or loved her or in the relationship when it when it didn't end up working out, did you put some blame on your heavy blame on yourself when.
Speaker 4: No, not, no, not blame on myself.
Speaker 5: I mean it's it's not say in the workout, you know, because in life, right, people must have independence, you know, and it's what it is, somewhere more independent than some. And at times you have to allow a person to you know, meaning that during that time that you're present, you're bringing awakening. You know, you also bring a frequency, you bring a direction, and that direction can spark energy in that person because that person is what that person is from the beginning of time, so that energy.
Speaker 4: Can spark a direction.
Speaker 5: So you can't you can't be you know, when you say queen and you get a queen, you can't have to respect that and a queen give order, have order, have way and principles. You know about so and I SOO also have to create foundation. Two as a king, he did so the queen now have her foundation and the queen has his foundation. So it's like that, and you know what I mean, it's like a home, right, you know, when I go to Ethiopia and I learned from high this. Lastly, the first the king and his queen, Empress Omega. I realized that the home, the king bed is here and the queen bedroom is over here, and they have a room where they can hang out and share time. And that's what it should be. So it's not really it's no, I don't remember what you said before, but I'm going to tell you how it is. It's not really any separation. It's just a way of life and a journey of life. Because we are still great mothers and fathers to our children, where we speak all the time, were very much active in communicating together, you know what I mean, And realizing the benefit of mother and father and what father represents, what mother represents. But at the time, remember we're all so young too, right, and in them region, you know, twenties, early twenties, so you know what I mean, And I myself trying to also become a rassed up on your to you know what I mean, so I can support my children because at the time, she's the one with doing with the breadwinner, you know. So I after account of just sit.
Speaker 4: There and just can come on.
Speaker 2: I could, but I can't.
Speaker 5: Yeah you did, I mean, yeah, So make sure stability is there, and the queen have our domain where she rules, and the king has this domain where he rules and such and such. So there's never a separation. It's just life. We always communicate.
Speaker 2: How'd you guys meet?
Speaker 5: We met in nineteen ninety six, right after I left college.
Speaker 4: I wanted to do something again.
Speaker 5: So when I when I left football, I want I was trying to figure out what am I to do with life, you know, So I said, you know, I want to do something that I can do forever.
Speaker 4: Football I didn't think I can do it forever. So I stopped that.
Speaker 5: I stopped my passion for that to change, but I felt like I can play soccer forever. So I decided to move back to Jamaica. Move forward into Jamaica. But when I go to Jamaica, I am going there to be with my family, my brothers because this is six so ninety five. Now I leave ninety five, I leave school. Ninety five would play Orange Bowl. Right after that, I flied to Hate. My son, Nika was born. After I tell the University of Mim I'm done with football and not coming back as a junior. I tell my brothers that I'm done with this thing. No, I'm playing football no more. It's like, what you mean? I said, Yeah, as I'm coming to Jamaica and I'm gonna be a roadie. So I took that job as a roadie. So while I was on the road, we have a smoking Grooves and the Fujis are on that tour and Miss Lauren hell is on that tour as.
Speaker 4: Well as you know, the Fuji and my brothers.
Speaker 5: So one day I am I heard this voice.
Speaker 4: I'm on the bus because I'm security.
Speaker 5: I'm really, I'm security for my brothers and I'm I'm the road guys, so I'm not really I gotta roll with them.
Speaker 4: But I listened still, you know, so I listen. I heard this voice.
Speaker 5: I'm like wow, like and I'm like what I'm singing? Like real music, you know, So I'm like, who's that?
Speaker 4: I let it go.
Speaker 5: One day, you know, one day, I'm sitting on the bus. Again, She's walking in front of the bus with her guitar, and you know, I'm sitting in the driver's seat. So I topped the horn. I topped that horn. She looked back and.
Speaker 4: And she went along her way. Another day, you know, that was me introducing myself.
Speaker 5: So another day, now she was coming this way and with all my brothers, So why she's coming towards me.
Speaker 4: I just extended my arm like that.
Speaker 5: She extended her arm and we just touched hands, and I was like all right. And that was when how we met. On smoking groups story, it's the beginning of that. When you talk about a queen and a real woman and a real mother, she represented that someone that stands on what do you call it again, stand on my business?
Speaker 4: Hey, no one stands on business like miss Lauren.
Speaker 5: So I mean society may not see it as such and in regards to how they see business, but the way she sees business.
Speaker 4: Her happy and no one stands on business.
Speaker 5: Like her, and we have to give it up for her much respective and start for just being queen.
Speaker 2: And at so as you say, that's how you guys met, you guys ended up getting being together two years into your relationship. She she releases, The Miseducation of Warren Hill was just what was just rated by what publication.
Speaker 6: Edy Apple, but it's rated by every human being to the greatest album, the greatest app What were.
Speaker 2: What were the vibes around the family like when she was creating creating that album.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, like I said, the frequency right, and then there's some.
Speaker 5: Energy bringing all the things together, bringing some of my father's influence in regards to some of the musicians.
Speaker 4: You know, start one of the main thing was we went.
Speaker 5: To Jamaica started started the album out in Jamaica, Physics Hope with my dad's studio. That's what of my brother's musician worked on album. You know, she just I remember when she I remember the first day in the studio, and you remember I'm with my brothers all the time. So that's what we do. I followed them. I go to the studio. This is what this is like my life football. I get up in the morning with Steven and studio. Now I'm with Misslar and Hill. She's the same person studio, studio, studio. But remember she's now going to do this independently by herself without the group.
Speaker 3: Are you there?
Speaker 2: Are you there to support her? You doing some kind of stuff with the with the music.
Speaker 4: No, at that time, I'm just being self. I don't know what you call that. I'm president, support everything, everything, whatever. I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Lady guy.
Speaker 4: At that time, I used to because ras them times. You know, I came in she.
Speaker 5: Met me raw ra ra rastafi rah No, you know I mean itally's like crazy. I was a little bit psychedelic, not not psychedelic, but they said, not crazy, but more like very much rigid in Rastafari like the way because you know what I mean, because.
Speaker 2: It was rough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm in a.
Speaker 5: Place and I'm realizing a lot of things happening around where I got to hold it down because you know, remember wherever a newborn son, So I got to hold it down in many spiritual ways in regardless to the industry and the type of artist this is and the woman it is and what this one represented that.
Speaker 4: So being that's being in that.
Speaker 5: Environment, you know, I had to hold it as Rastafari and be the gun lights that I am. I have to because I know that support like that, I am the order, you know. So I just remember the first thing in the studio she brought maybe every instrument I can think of, from it to bongo or just that because I remember like watching her create this album, you know, and and she had these two youths that she brought out a new wark and you know, I remember them young kids, talented kids, but they they're programmers, drum programmers and another you know, they're young musicians with you know, at the time, a lot of sampling. So they beat, but she tell them, she tells them what to play and how to press it.
Speaker 4: She gives them the sound.
Speaker 5: She because you know, it's almost like, you know, I want to hear something, but I can't play the keyboard.
Speaker 4: My favorite playing on the E card on the keyboard. Bang.
Speaker 5: I dropped that bang bang, And she's like, okay, give me that like bang bang. And this is how she's guiding these guys, like guiding them do every step.
Speaker 3: Of the way like a piece to the puzzle.
Speaker 5: Every step of the way. So when they when those guys came around, and you know whatever. But that's kind of how it started out, man. With with miss Lauren Hill, she is one of the minds where uh, she's an artist.
Speaker 4: A true artist, a Picasso.
Speaker 5: So when you ask about why certain things that she does certain things a certain way, it's the artistry.
Speaker 4: I'm certain she's a very talented artist.
Speaker 5: Like musician wise, her ear in regards to notes and keys spun on. So you talk about a master at work. But you know, I come from that. I listen every day. I mean, if you hear something a thousand times or fifty thousand times, obviously kind of gets to be able to separate what's what and what's not, you know. So being around her and watching her create the misidication of Lauren Hill, it was just magical, man. And those days I can always remember those days, man, and going into Jamaica, being in a studio with her, being there, watching her create.
Speaker 4: And always listening, you know.
Speaker 5: And one thing she always used to ask, you know what I mean, as it feels, you know, So if for music didn't give me goose bumps, I.
Speaker 6: Called him just talking to hearing because I'm a big fan. So here you talk about it like this gave me for minutes ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if for music, don't give me goosebumps, I said.
Speaker 5: I said, no, no, no, I said, I said, you know that.
Speaker 4: I said, say, come take a listen. Go in there.
Speaker 5: It was guarding the commissioners in there, a couple of other engineers, but meanly Garden, the commissioner.
Speaker 4: I heard always at night crazy. I walked in the studio.
Speaker 5: I said, all right, So if I can't if I can't like move a certain way to it, you know, if I can't step to it like and it.
Speaker 4: Don't give me goose I said. I said, like.
Speaker 5: That's all right, Yeah, it's I kind of we had that kind of vibe, you know, when it comes down to music. Because Chuck d said something and when I read it, I was in her mother's kitchen and I was sitting there in their mother's kitchen and there her mother's in the kitchen, and she's just walking behind me, and I'm reading this thing. Chuck did so his Lauren here was like the Bob Marley of hip hop or something something something like that.
Speaker 4: I said, Wow, I'm.
Speaker 5: Sitting there reading this is early early, this is when we does that Zion Like, I'm like, oh wow, Like so that's how the hip hop community feel about her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so then all right, let's go. Yeah it's true and.
Speaker 3: We are that. How does Zion feel hearing that song today?
Speaker 6: That's an able to understand the lyrics and stuff now.
Speaker 5: You know, because I know it's touching. Yeah, because he's a Hebrew write and he's a true Hebrew, you know, study, So this is he's him, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: That's just him. He's a blessed one and that is him.
Speaker 5: And when you hear that song, you make him cry, like you know what I mean, you make it you know, when you hear that song, it's kind of touching because you and I watch now I watch because I'm watching on the TV, like when they're choring. Because he sings with his mother, you know, you know, it has a couple of songs out now too. So I see when he embraces his mother, and I see how he hugs his mother. I say, yeah, you know, mother Zion, because Nico my other children. When when Zion is born, all right, most people don't know this, but before I met miss Lauren Hill, I say something to her as my brother's security and those things.
Speaker 4: I opened my briefcase.
Speaker 5: I used to walk with an attache because I'm, you know, a military, because I'm a security.
Speaker 4: Just leave college ripped you?
Speaker 2: So you about five eight five how much right now?
Speaker 5: Because I became such vegan my junior year, I stopped eating or anything.
Speaker 4: I was like one ninety to muscle.
Speaker 5: So I say to miss Lauren Hill, I say, I need to you know, when after we met the first time, I need to show you something. I opened up my briefcase and I showed her my two children. I said, this is my this is my life. This is Eden and this is Nickel. Before me and her ever had a talk, these are my children.
Speaker 4: I said, So.
Speaker 5: This is me when my children now, and now I'm now when miss Lauren Hill have zion. I told my brothers, I say, listen, I got to move to New Jersey. I said, what do you mean. I said yeah, because if swimming have her career and it's her first time having a child and she don't know know about children.
Speaker 4: I got to go and take care of my kid, you know. He said, all right, go. My brother's nigga and Steve al right, go. So I go to New Jersey.
Speaker 5: But while I'm in New Jersey because you know she's remember she is the middle.
Speaker 4: So I got it.
Speaker 5: I can't be the guy. Oh man, this guy I got to hold down so she.
Speaker 4: Could keep moving. And you know what I mean, because they're like, oh man, you can't believe me went with this guy.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, he's up.
Speaker 4: Who's this guy?
Speaker 3: Why is this guy?
Speaker 4: Who is he gonna? You need to do your music.
Speaker 5: That's why the song Zion. So I have to go there and hold it down. I gotta bring my strength, you know, like, so it makes makes makes her flow and make sure.
Speaker 2: Because that's important. Her ecosystem is important.
Speaker 4: To do that.
Speaker 5: She could go out that woman or that I'm wold it down, go and do your thing. Man, I got it. I got don't worry about that.
Speaker 4: I got this.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 5: So but now I'm living in Jersey, and when I would bring my children to New Jersey, Nick Eden, I tell them to how they have to address Zion's mother, Mommy Zion, they call her and they call them Momision untill they were like twenty because that's Mummy of science.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was.
Speaker 5: Your name for the children. So that's how our family. So when they were young on tour. All my children, my children from my previous relationship, my wife which I married their mothers when I was a young boy, and then after her was Miss Lauren Hill, and I brought them all together.
Speaker 4: So when i'm my children, you know because yes.
Speaker 5: So I was able to make sure that my children know the most important thing is the brother and brotherly love and sisterly love.
Speaker 4: No matter. My life is my life. What I do has nothing to do with you. That's my that's me.
Speaker 5: Don't let that, don't don't get involved with me, don't stay in Your children must be children. Children, don't get in big people business. No, that's all you wrote. Make sure my children, make sure brothers and sisters are brothers and sisters.
Speaker 4: I don't care.
Speaker 5: Maybe I'm not the perfect man in the world that was able to do it, like they say no, because some things don't work out.
Speaker 2: I make all you motherfuckers, you all go love each other.
Speaker 4: You must.
Speaker 2: There's no other way, no choice, There's no other way. I'm a step dad.
Speaker 6: When she was when you when you all was together recording that album at that time, when you was hearing it and then we'll was putting together.
Speaker 3: Did you know it was gonna be what it is today, of course. Yeah, but that's one of them. Just when you listen to it, like, oh yeah, this is it.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm telling you this.
Speaker 5: I don't know if this is anywhere in the world, but I remember that that Sunny record said that this was coffee table music.
Speaker 3: That goes so how much they know?
Speaker 4: They don't know nothing.
Speaker 3: Crazy?
Speaker 5: And let me tell you what I means. She's standing on business. She says, no, this is the songs I wanted to make, and.
Speaker 3: She stood strong too strong strong.
Speaker 5: We'll get when I'm worried or she's just gonna do it her way you did because you're not gonna you can't lessen yourself to make someone greater.
Speaker 3: I mean, no sense who's a bigger Who's name another star?
Speaker 6: Who is who's just as big as Laura Hill with only one album?
Speaker 3: You know, oh one?
Speaker 5: I mean when you say no, but let's be fair, let's not let's not say one album because remember the.
Speaker 3: Food is one solo album.
Speaker 4: Solo. But she did do Misake, she did do the unplugged.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she did unplugged.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know how that's you know. I'm chilling in South Orange and I need to get my watch fixed.
Speaker 5: So I go into a place called Mainplewood, you know, and I walk into the Julia store to get my watch fixed. And this guy is there and he's like, yo't you roll in and say what's up? He says, Man, I'm from MTV, MTV London, TV Europe.
Speaker 4: I said, yeah, I said, cool man. But my moms exchange numbers and such and such. I go back home now, I said Lauren.
Speaker 5: I said, Lauren, I just met this guy from MTV London and they just started unplugged.
Speaker 4: M And at the time, Laren was playing a guitar a.
Speaker 1: Lot, you know.
Speaker 5: I said, why don't you talk to this man about doing an unplugged She says, yeah, give me his number, sir.
Speaker 4: This is no record company, no nothing, and I always she said.
Speaker 5: I'm going to introduce you to the guy from MTV USA, which is New York.
Speaker 4: I forget his name. Nice person. We go there.
Speaker 5: She brought her book bag with all her books because for me, what I admire most about her and what and what I tried to tell my children about music. You see, a certain type of music have to be made a certain type of way.
Speaker 4: You did her music.
Speaker 5: Comes like or overst and like her. Her perception of life comes directly from the Bible.
Speaker 4: The amount of.
Speaker 5: Knowledge that she has received just through her edifying her mind through the Bible and other great books that she reads. She translates that to life. That's her teaching of how to live. So she makes that kind of music and seeming like my dad, did their music come from like that biblical mindset, you know? So she writes like that, and she so I say to my children, I say, oh man, you know, you know you got to be inspired by some might as well be inspired by the greatest book of all time. So that's kind of her, and she translates that very well. And that's when the likeness to her of like you would say what Chuck de says in the in this community right, and she is because she lived at and she really is a true creative and a true lover of her arts.
Speaker 2: Before we transition out and get to know about your your upbringing, do you have me in your personal opinion? Do you feel like there will ever be another solo or Fujis album?
Speaker 5: Well, one thing I do know for sure, Miss Laurin Hill has a plethora of music.
Speaker 6: I can only imagine she's she's she's doing her music, she's touring, she she does her music.
Speaker 4: She she's doing what artist does like she is.
Speaker 5: It's like it's like seeing do you think Steven would ever go back into n B A. But you're you're you're playing around the world, you're doing you having seminars of teaching basketball and still yeah, what you're doing, you're playing whether you know what, doesn't matter what organization you're with. You're a joining the organization now, right. So she's with her own organization and she's still playing the music. Maybe it's not being recorded and delivered through a entity like a record company, then through a distributor and such. But if those guys wanted to really have a miscelonial album, they you can't. You can't treat her like she's begging you something.
Speaker 3: Yeah said, no, I'm.
Speaker 4: All right, So that's for me to have an album.
Speaker 5: I gotta just accept what you say.
Speaker 3: That's the only way, because she deserves it. Yeah, that's the only way we show on it. I wish I had a billion dollars. I'll give a couple of one hundred a couple of albums.
Speaker 4: You hear that ship, Yeah, what do you think, yeah, you're.
Speaker 5: Gonna get that money back so she can so she can do it her way.
Speaker 4: What do you mean you you you're gonna your profit margin.
Speaker 5: For instance, when she was back in the time when mis Education, when she made mis Education an album was selling for what nineteen ninety nine, when they get an artist ten cents, be talking about they made enough money. You think over the years, they made enough money. What do you mean, but she must get slave for that again?
Speaker 4: Coming Slavery days are.
Speaker 2: Over, man, Yeah, been over nineteen seventy two, Jamaica. Yeah, growing up you were telling us doubt shit about what were they call rock wars. But talk to us just about your upbringing. Obviously your father you losing your father at nine years old. But what was that journey like before your father passed.
Speaker 5: I was born in Kingston and a hospital called Jubilee Hospital. And I was born My mother had new and she was like fifteen sixteen, so she was a young mother. I have a brother that was born a few days before me too, different mothers. Of course, how it is popsy it is we're born in the same hospital, you know. It is my brother Robert, and then Stephen was born in April in the same year.
Speaker 3: What's stephen birthday? April? What twenty Okay, I'm April Field.
Speaker 2: Imagine that. Imagine that Killer.
Speaker 5: So it's the three of us, you know, Stephen, Robert and Rohan. Having a young mother. You know, there's many things that comes with that. You know, a young mother means she being but young in that time in jamaica's not as not this time, right, So young mother that means you live with your pearance still and then with the father like my father who's a Rasta man. Her parents Rosta don't really like that because their mother's Catholic. Growing up with a young mother obviously the your young mother at the time, she had to also find her way at that age having a child.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's rough because you live with your mother and father.
Speaker 5: So but I remember this is the one of the most important thing I do remember though, in the transition in life, because I remember there was a transitional point in life and I don't know, I don't know, I do know actually why actually, but there was a transition in my life where.
Speaker 4: My father he had all his children in the school called.
Speaker 5: Vosprep, which is like a private, private vast proprietory. It's like a private school, but it's you know, there's all different types of people there. So at the time, as a young boy, I lived in the community that wasn't too that was within the district of the school transportation. So my father would pay for the school transportation to take me to school and such. But I remember one day my grandfather, my mother's father, when he moved his.
Speaker 4: Family to a house.
Speaker 5: I remember I went to this house and there was two there's two sides to the house. I went in the house and I would run through the house. But I remember one day I couldn't run through the house no longer. Another family moved into the other side of the house. So my grandparents they were renting half of the house for their family and another family's renting theirs. But I only learned this as I grow older. I'm like, wait, this was what was going on, But I do so through that now. My grandfather then decided. My grandfather was a carpenter. He worked in the He worked downtown Kingston, Jamaica. He was a carpenter. He built windows, cheers and all that stuff. So he saved up some money. He bought a piece of land in Spanish down Jamaica. But I guess it was only at the time.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I guess it was the only place he could find land to buy.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: He built a little house.
Speaker 5: He told us to pack the bags, and I remember him taking myself and my cousin, which was my mother's brother's son, and we went down there to move into the house. But when I went, when I do remember when I moved into that house was the wet cement. It's like like half of the house was finished and half wasn't really finished, so he could I could. I remember smelling the wet cement, you know, like the house was still like you know what. I sell the cement, all right, and then I had to walk through the bush to go to the back to go buy oil and.
Speaker 4: Uh uh seasoning.
Speaker 5: And I also had to buy cursing oil to light the lamp because there's no electricity in the house, you know. So I remember doing all that and candles and lamps and watching my grandfather every time he go to Kingston and I'm back, he brings a little some of the windows until he was able to put the windows in seend the door, you knows, boom, Then he moved the other side of the family down, but it took him a month to get everybody, you know what I mean. But I also remember that we cement. But now what they did, they moved me out of the district. So now I don't have the luxury of a school bus anymore. And my grandmother she gets up at five o'clock in the morning to go to her work. So she got to take a taxi to the main bus station and take a bus to her to her work and gets off of their work and that's halfway to my school. So how it started out, my mother used to take me to.
Speaker 4: School, you know. But my mother, like she laid, always laid to school showing up.
Speaker 5: So her mother is cussing her this said that while you forget up earlier.
Speaker 4: I want to take him.
Speaker 5: But how they decided to take me was I would get get on the road with my granny on the taxi to the bus. But then my granny now or my mother would tell the bus driver or the conductor the guy where you pay. You know, hey, listen, when you get to downtown him get off at this bus to show him.
Speaker 4: Which but the bus thirty two. Because now I gotta take that bus and go to my school.
Speaker 2: So how were you at the start?
Speaker 4: Five?
Speaker 2: That's crazy five.
Speaker 5: My daddy passed away when I was nine, So all this time they call me Bob's bad son, because bad meaning like like.
Speaker 4: I'm doing this stuff. I can.
Speaker 5: I can take a bus by myself around Jamaica as a little boy like was flex, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: The conductors they all know me.
Speaker 5: Everybody everybody in the street know me and Jamaica you know, you know they know me like that because I'm in the street.
Speaker 3: I must on doctor porch early.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when did you know your dad was what's kind of a big deal? At what age? Was it before he passed or after?
Speaker 4: Wow? I mean all right, my father first of all, I had to learn this too. You know. My father's type of father. You speak to your cry. Huh yeah, he speaks to you. You cry. Oh wow, you call your name, you cry? You know, like that's the kind of father.
Speaker 5: So my father have a certain sense, you know, a certain It's like a scent where like.
Speaker 4: Ginger and bineapple would smoke, you know, like Stu like Stu peas and Stu.
Speaker 5: Like I like fresh like you know, I see I'm sweet, he's sweet.
Speaker 4: Sweet, he's sweet.
Speaker 5: See well, I just used to I remember sometimes a young boy, because I tell you I'm a rude boy, right. I remember sometimes instead of me going to Spanish down taking a bus, I go to my father's house, you know, but he's not there. Someday I'm not going. I don't want to go to my mother. I'm staying in my I'm staying. I remember one time, it was like twelve o'clock in the morning. I'm sitting on the It's the day above my museum, and I'm sitting on the step.
Speaker 4: You know, this not going to my money. I'm in trouble. I'm in made the trouble. I'm not going.
Speaker 3: I'm staying here.
Speaker 5: I'm not going.
Speaker 4: And this is where the studio is, just where everything happened, you know.
Speaker 5: I remember sitting on the step and I see the bus drive up to the the bus drive up to the gates, and man, I look, and it's my dad. They were a big time, like a big the locks you got it in a town. And I look, it's my father. I said, blood, I'm young. I remember, stop and just walk right. It's the kind of man he is, though, you see me just walk. He walk and he saw me and I saw him.
Speaker 4: I saw him and just look you look, and he's like, I knowing is not you know, as a as a father, I said, He's like, what the fuck is.
Speaker 3: He doing here?
Speaker 4: His mine? He's like.
Speaker 2: Nobody, but this is not this is.
Speaker 5: Not like that type of home. This is what Dad's. My dad's house is an office, studio, enterprise. Everything built and his bedrooms upstairs, everything around my dad. There's no there's only him there. There's no nobody who's lived there. No woman live in that house. It's my dad at work. And that's the way he's there. This is that that house, you know, but it's filled with people. It's about money museum today. But i'm him with dad.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: So I sat there, you know, and I'm there waiting to hear my name or something, and I see my father come back downstairs and say get over there. And he got on a boxing glove and he tell everybody circlub. Not with me, he says. He throw in all the.
Speaker 4: Gloves to another member.
Speaker 5: He said, come on, they circlub and they start boxing at twelve o'clock in the night, boxing, you know. And after that, after they start boxing. He going to go upstairs. He's going to the studio. So I go in the studio. Now, you know, y'all still haven't spoke. I'm saying unto you yet, I mean not really really OK, Like he's just I'm just I'm just existing there there. He's like, yo, you know, I mean, I'm I'm moving with the movement. But the step is here, and where he's boxing is right over there, because when you go to the museum you'll see it, and then the studio is right here, right.
Speaker 4: So I'm there. I get up, I see them he did his thing with his friends. I go sit back down. He go up stairs.
Speaker 5: They call, he calls me into the studio. So I'm in the studio now. But inside of the studio, my dad is here, and the board is here, and the speakers are here, and the mirror you know how you see through the other side is here. So I'm there. But it's now two o'clock in the morning, and you can't sleep around my dad.
Speaker 2: You can't as much dope as were smoking, you couldn't sleep.
Speaker 4: He's recorded, and I'm like this, no, like, hey, hey boy, get up and go upstairs. I go upstairs. Now, I fall asleep.
Speaker 5: Like about an hour later, Man, my father says, hey, wake up and go wash your feet dirty.
Speaker 2: Can't get dirty feet on the bed. That's I love it. So obviously the business of Marley is is something that's well respected around the world. You guys were offering money early on. You guys came together because there was actually no will, But you guys came together and realized, hey, let's build this legacy out for our father. So you guys have been able to do that. So tell us some of the stuff. It's been estimated at about almost a half a billion dollar company annually making nearly twenty million a year. What is your part in the family legacy and business?
Speaker 6: So you start, that's a testament to your father for him to be gone and y'all still he took had the morals of y'all to still stay together and staying strong together.
Speaker 3: The fact you know what I'm saying, that's actual testiment, the pop factual.
Speaker 5: And you know because since yes, life after about you know, nineteen eighty one five, the pastaway, no will, trust happened to gather all the assets they sell it. We ended up taking the person that bought it to privy council because you wanted first right refuse it as the children, we.
Speaker 4: Didn't want the money.
Speaker 5: We then did that ra money bought our Dad's likeness and all publishing and likeness except for twenty five percent because that was a stipulation. After that, it took us like since nineteen ninety two, because from eighty one to ninety two it took took that time to really bring everything together for them to present the structure and the sale. So when we bought it, we then now started to nurture it and started to develop different businesses. One of the first business that we started being that there was a lot of bootleg material of our dad, of T shirts and all these different things. The first thing that we said we would do, we'll create Zion Roots for Yes, and we created Zion Roots, which is now our company that we produce all the mode the merchandise from all the T shirts, et cetera.
Speaker 3: I did a collaborate roots to fight Yes gotch we.
Speaker 4: Got you, We'll get you.
Speaker 5: So we have Zion Riture stuff. Then we stepped into audio electronics. We create a house it's called House of Marley. All audio electronics made from all eco fronts sustainable materials, which belongs in our ecosystem as roster fire people naturally. Then after that, I created a company called Marley Coffee, which is another organic sustainable coffee company right now number one coffee company in Chile. I started here, but I had to kind of pivot and work with the people that really believed in the brand to establish the brand. So I've established that in Chile now, so it's great in Chili. We have a good footprint in Canada, etc. I'm here on Amazon in America, but I'm getting ready now to really start and to rebuild the coffee shop presence.
Speaker 4: That's Marley Coffee.
Speaker 5: We have Marley Naturals, which is our cannabis company, one of our cannabis companies, and I myself my main movement and main focus now here in Florida. I've partnered with a group called Goldflower to bring line order cannabis here to Florida.
Speaker 4: So they have the license.
Speaker 5: They're one of the I guess twenty two or twenty three license holders here on the medical side. So I'm working with Goldflower now to bring line order to Florida. I'm very very happy about it. So that's kind of the future and we're excited to really lay our stakes here in Florida and.
Speaker 4: Call this home because we've been here since nineteen seventy six. So it's now really life after bout Miami football.
Speaker 5: Playing to Miami. How was that playing to Miami. I get to Miami. The first thing they told me you don't belong here. You only hear call you Bob Molly's son. I said, yeah, I just ripped up high school. I'd done one of the top running backs in the country. I don't punish him. I lived the country or the state in all kinds of different things, and I was busting next. I was crushing people. And so I get to Miami. The first thing they do, where we're going to play him? Then move me to cornerback? I said, cornerback? I said, all right, what did I do? Because you remember, I'm every position. I'm learning for the first time in my life. I'm just playing. I'm just playing on the astute.
Speaker 2: I'm tripping off. How you even came from Jamaica to even be able to play football?
Speaker 5: I told you, Dan Marino, Yeah, Mark Clayton, Mark Duper the Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 2: Forty nine ers beating him. Here we go yes, sir, he ain't gonna let you make it with that. I can't do it.
Speaker 3: We'll go ahead.
Speaker 2: So you're in college cornerback, Man, it was sad.
Speaker 3: It was sad memories.
Speaker 4: You know, college. I get to college.
Speaker 5: Now I get there. First of all, they say to me, you only hear cut you bought Money's son. I said, well, I mean, hey, you ain't watch film. Did y'all know watching?
Speaker 4: Fuck you think? I said, let's go.
Speaker 5: So I got out there with the attitude like all right, I got to prove myself. And I remember playing Cornerback cover two. Oh yeah, Roker jamu ass Marley was jam you. But I couldn't cover deep, like what's my thing?
Speaker 3: Because you couldn't get one time? One time? Cover two?
Speaker 4: Though, well you gotta remember cover two.
Speaker 5: Ain't it's not man the top? Yeah, but that one play looked like it was me. I walked in the locker room, the sirens went up, and they used to really pick on me. Man, I used to have to fight. I remember one day an article came on the Jet magazine about my family and was in the picture.
Speaker 4: This, Oh you ain't this thing ain't even in the family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not even where are you at? What we won't see you?
Speaker 5: Bro? So I said, man, whatever, So I used to have to fight and fight, I'm fighting. So my going into my now my red shirt year. The red shirted me, my junior going into my red shirt freshman year. Spring ball, they called me into the office and told me they're gonna move me into a new position, linebacker.
Speaker 4: I said, linebacker. I've been losing all this weight to be a dB. A lot of action, a lot of action in linement. But that's my place. But I promise you. When they told me that, I said, all right.
Speaker 5: I started feeling a bit more comfortable because being not on the be not a cornerback high it's a higher risk. You can cost a lot of games out there. Corner it's a higher risk.
Speaker 3: The hardest position on the football field, I I think.
Speaker 5: So cornerback they got, I mean, man to manage you felt like, because they have to guard you.
Speaker 2: Know, I'm just saying, in general, cornerback is all reaction.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you have good feet. So they moved me there, they told me linebacker.
Speaker 5: First day of practice, inside run, I started making all the tackles. As you know what I mean. I love I love playing the run, so I started making all the tackles. I remember going back into the locker room and warn't saccess to me. You know, rohand, eve been fucking you.
Speaker 4: Man. You should have always been a linebacker.
Speaker 2: But you played with some real hitters on that man.
Speaker 5: Said Michael Barrett, dans Ma, Daryl Williams. I play with a lot of legends.
Speaker 3: No, this is the question though. Yeah, you know Uncle Luke had the Bundie program. Were you're part of that? When you're around Uncle Luke had the Bonnie program? Yeah, so you got a couple of dollars. You know what they always said? You know, I didn't know they always thought, you know what he said?
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 2: Goddamn it? Let me hold up.
Speaker 4: But all right, all right, all right, let me let me let me talk to you about something.
Speaker 5: Right, hold on, Lucas here, right, come real quick. All right, there's two types of Miami right when I'm growing up. There's South Miami and then there's North Miami. South Miami now is where you have like I don't know, I guess you're gonna call it the suburbs. But North Miami now is where you have the life. This where you have like people named like you. I don't know if you know these people that Cadillac Bird, certain type of people like that. You know where where the lake what's the cars with the big rim and them in the overtown and then Liberty, Yeah, the verts converted with the paint, the spring and the base and then and then rattle and rattle and then.
Speaker 4: You have that. So Uncle Luke Now, now Uncle Luke was the head of everything.
Speaker 5: When you talk about what you see today in the world, if you see girls, I don't know, I mean, we don't really, I don't condone these things.
Speaker 3: What what what them?
Speaker 4: Type of dance what you see today?
Speaker 5: This was happening in Miami right here where being banned, uh, fighting sheriffs and stuff because of the justice the music Two Live Crew, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So I grew up in that era where yeah, Uncle Luke and Two Live Crew was the way.
Speaker 5: So that now that was now Miami because of the most of the athletes they're coming from North and South. Remember South, down South is still like North. There's middle South and down South, so that's still like North. So the University of Miami and Uncle Luke relationships started because the inner city youths that were being raised by just just having someone in from the music industry, music in the street with some ends that can show us away. Right, So they talk about this Dad. We used to call it the hit, the hit bucket, or whatever you want to call it. But uncle, Uncle give us incentives. Hey, y'all go out there, y'all win this year. We take you know whatever, if the nil with the real nil, like real manifestation of a nil. But if you talk about my personal relationship with uncle, you not even going back into his his Jamaican heritage because I never even knew that till like later on in life, about that side of his life. I just I just love him because what the school I went to is how I got to know him, the University of Miami. But I grew up in Miami. I'd mind him seeing him all the time because I'm in Miami. So when I got to school and I was able to touch him. So when I got there, I saw how like Ray Lewis, Ray would wrap his head with That's what he wore in his head.
Speaker 4: It was as a scar. What is say against the wrap?
Speaker 3: The boy wrapped their heads with that.
Speaker 4: And so the U M culture you can't have the u M culture with our uncle Luke.
Speaker 3: He did, so that's that.
Speaker 5: And then as a as a young youth, I was able to like really experience like life from an elder and being in this this world as a leader in the well, I would's say the American community, the Ani American community, the community that looked like us, and being a leader and being up and being able to stand up against just being able to freedom of speech and freedom of self and being able to be a creative and bringing that to University of Miami and bringing that that culture where he merged because he merged them kids with us like we us meaning the u M and the like that was because we were able to should go into.
Speaker 4: Those regions and feel good because we walk in there. When you walk in, everything good, everything good. Where's the guy? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Because when we the University of Miami. We we love going to the Rolex, we love going up north.
Speaker 4: We want to go to one third three And what's the straw berries?
Speaker 5: We want to go to straw That's what ready didn't want to be that they want to and I'm going I'm tagging along.
Speaker 4: And then what's the other the men? What's the men, the men.
Speaker 2: What about this boat party I've been hearing about? He said, which one which.
Speaker 3: Earlier? Well, there's a lot of boat which boat party?
Speaker 4: All right, all right, I.
Speaker 5: Guess I gotta tell well one time, you know, you you you, this is what this is Some of the dreams you have as like a player at University of Miami.
Speaker 4: It's to hang with Uncle du Like to hang with Uncle Luke as a grown man too. One of the pleasure.
Speaker 5: So if he says, hey, Marty, what you're doing, and you know, he got to talk Mary, what you're doing?
Speaker 4: I say, meet me at seven ninth Street, Meet me at seven nine Street. What's what's the beer?
Speaker 3: The fear?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Seven nice right by the Chang whe the restaurant was there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that was it was Chang Yeah, one of them the Chinese when it took the food on the.
Speaker 4: Ben.
Speaker 3: I don't know nothing. I don't know about this stuff.
Speaker 4: I don't love about this type. I been here, I get there.
Speaker 5: But remember now, Uncle Luke was the one that showed us like like that, like you're talking about convertible cars and luxury nice house boat, the good life, the good life, the good life by doing it himself. By his own independent, independent label. So now I get there, I'm like, all right, where I go?
Speaker 4: Said? I go up in the restaurant. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm supposed to go to the period.
Speaker 4: I don't know where to go.
Speaker 5: He said, Come to walk down the restaurant, come to the pair, come to the parent pair.
Speaker 4: Six thirty through five. I said, all right, I go down there. Now I get on the boat.
Speaker 5: It's says uncle Luke. It's me and a couple of the people, a couple of the other agenda and the captain, because I'm captain.
Speaker 4: Is vote too, man? He said, listen, we're going to Bimy. I said, where's that? He said, don't worry, We're going to Bahama's. Chill back and have a good time.
Speaker 5: I said, well all right. I sat there, man, I tell you, like I grew up, you know, to understand like when you're a king. When you're a king, you're king and you just live. So we had a good time. I was able to just as a little little little boy, a young man seeing what a general, how a general flex in the city rolling his board, can go to NASA when you want the chickenees. You got the chickens there you gotta have it. I mean, we're older now, so yeah, I'm care for the choice of words. But I'm telling you, no one did it better. Like I'm talking about, no one did it better. So the life of Miami, the University of Miami, the culture, what you see, the culture of University of Miami is right here. It's like the father of the culture. Because the boys, that's that's all the boys from the Jerome Browns. That's that's who they respect because that's how you that's that's kind of your card like to really, that's card in the streets.
Speaker 4: So that's what you represent for us at University of Miami.
Speaker 3: That's her.
Speaker 5: That's her street cred right here in the beginning, the street cred right here, you nor anywhere anywhere.
Speaker 4: You're good.
Speaker 5: When he walk in and he walked walking with the hat, ain't got the glasses, and he looked to the.
Speaker 4: Side and turned on the stage, just moving just so.
Speaker 5: So that's where so we grew up with that, and that's why forever, that's why you see the hurricanes and Uncle Luke here likes our uncle ever till this day.
Speaker 4: No matter no matter who I mean, I mean, when when when SAP and I together.
Speaker 5: We have to face time. We have group we have group FaceTime, like like five hurricanes on the phone and he's busy too. Shout shout out the SAP man and shout out to Raid LIU always rocking Uncle Luke Records, Luke Records always that is that that guy and Marlon Barnes pick up to Marlon Barnes, that's Bess Marl than Bond. But but them guys, it's almost like you you think there was n I L the way, the way the University of Miami independently represented Luke Records.
Speaker 4: It was Luke Records the way we represented Luke Records.
Speaker 2: Look help build that skyline.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, thank you.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you, my brother, thank you.
Speaker 4: Love the journey you already know.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm mm hmmm