Speaker 1: Hey, this is Brian Alvarez and this is today's edition of the Wrestling Observer Daily podcast on the eight Side Network.
Speaker 2: Bye from San Francisco. I'm a sports byline broadcasting network. You are listening to Wrestling Observer Live with your hosts Brian Alvarez and Mike sempervv Right, you ready, You're ready, Let's get it on now.
Speaker 1: How's it going everybody? Brian Alvarez here on or Wrestling Observer Live. We are here every day Monday through Friday, New Pacific three Eastern Sundays, three Pacific six Eastern Saturday Mornings with Jim Valley, Today Pacific one Eastern Sundays with andrews Arian. And it is Tuesday here on the show. And you know what that means. Well, we got a lot to talk about. I don't want to be joined today by Lancestorm. Lance watched Raw last night. It's on Netflix now and so we're gonna talk about Raw on Netflix as well as NXT tonight, which will feature an appearance from the Rock. You heard that right, The Rock. The Rock is on NXT in a building set up for let me see what I got here. It's like I can't even believe this. Really, It's not even like they're running a thirteen thousand seat building that's all sold out. It's like, I don't know a few thousand people there, but The Rock is gonna be there. So anyway, I'll find that here later, somebody texted me. But the point is the Rock is on NXC. He may as well be somewhere because I don't want to say it's as bad as when Eric Bischoff signed with WWE and the first thing he did was come out and hug Vince McMahon. Man, let me tell you, when Rock showed up on that show, it was like, this is the easiest, this is the easiest storyline. With the Rock in the Ulafalla and solo, his brother shows up and hugs his two rivals. There's like two matches. There's two matches for the Rock at Wrestle Media. There's Roman Reigns and there's Cody Rhodes. He has been feuding with both, and he came out and he hugged them. I don't know, man, I could talk about this for weeks, but anyway, we'll get Lansan got a lot to get into. Back in the moment, it was over life.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I am an American veteran. I'm proud to have served this country. Helping veterans is something all Americans can participate in, and it's as simple as donating an old car that you have sitting around. When you call the Veteran Car Donation Program, they'll explain how their program works, and then a range of time they can come and pick up your vehicle for free, running or not, it doesn't matter. They take cars, trucks, motorcycles, or vans. Show your support by donating your car and get a tax deduction in the process. Call the Veteran Car Donation Program right now. They'll come and pick your car up for free, and you get a tax deduction in the process. Call the number we're about to give you right now. Thank you and God bless America.
Speaker 4: Eight hundred eight eighty seven one own ninety seven, eight hundred eight eight seven one oh ninety seven. Eight hundred eight eight seven one own ninety seven. That's eight hundred eight eight seven ten ninety seven.
Speaker 5: Everyone watches more than five hours of television really, and that's not counting mobile viewing. Get Dish TV and make that time worth it. With Dish you can get hundreds of channels, access to all kinds of sports, tons of movies, premium channels, and more. Another thing that's really cool with Dish is you can watch most of your favorite shows on your mobile device anywhere for a lot less than cable.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 5: We are asking you to watch more TV and not less TV, but make it better television with Dish this time, anytime, anywhere. So call right now and learn how easy it is to save on your television bill and get the most out.
Speaker 2: Of your TV viewing experience.
Speaker 5: Dial that number, and I promise you were here waiting for your call because we want to save you money and give you better television. We are Dish TV.
Speaker 4: Eight hundred two nine three oh three two eight eight hundred two nine three oh three two eight eight hundred two nine three oh three two eight. That's eight hundred two nine three zero three twenty eight.
Speaker 7: Are you fifty or older? This news is for you.
Speaker 8: The CBC now recommends you get vaccinated against new maccacole pneumonia. Even if you're healthy, your age puts you at risk.
Speaker 7: People fifty or older are over six times more likely to be hospitalized with new.
Speaker 8: Macacol pneumonia compared to adults eighteen to forty nine.
Speaker 7: Just one shot, can He'll protect you?
Speaker 8: Learn more and schedule at vaxassist dot com. That's vaxassist dot com sponsored Byfeizer.
Speaker 2: You are listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike simperviv on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: Are the show, Bryan Alvarez here, Wrestling Observer Live, Lancestorm joining us here today. First off, Lance, are you doing I'm doing all right, all right, because I'm gonna need a moment here, all right. First hop since seems to be confused, I'll say this again. I mentioned this like fifty times on this actual show yesterday. The prediction show is tomorrow Wednesday, Okay. The Prediction show is Wednesday, So get your prediction ready and be ready to call tomorrow, not today, Wednesday, okay, And also on Wednesday, Max, please also Wednesday. A couple of hours afterwards to Pacific five eastern. We will be debuting after Dark Radio on Sports Byeline. That will kick off Wednesday at two Pacific five eastern. So a very very big day on Byline. We got the one of the biggest shows we do all year, the Prediction show that'll be at noon Pacific three Eastern and after Dark Radio will be at two Pacific five Eastern. And also, yes, for the fifty fifth time, as I mentioned this countless times yesterday, after Dark Radio will be just like this show twitch you Tube. It'll be on whatever tune in radio all at all? Right, yes, Byeline, it's on Byeline. Okay, gotta talk about the Rock, sure, okay, listen. So and the Rock was like a bad guy last year, right, a horrible person and great at it. He was an incredible heel feuding with Cody and Roman. And after WrestleMania he had that big confrontation with Cody teasing that they're going to have this match where he gave him a gift, a mystery gift. He put it in his hand, whispered something in his ear and left the final boss The Rock. Well, they debuted on Netflix. They booked Roman Reigns versus Solo Socoa for the beads and I guess they're not beads. They look like beads, but they're flowers, the ulafaulla. And I mean, I'm not just mad because like I had an idea they didn't do. But like this is idiot proof. You do a match for the ulafaulla. Roman wins, but like before he can put on the ulafaula, Rock attacks him, takes the ulafaula and then we got Roman reigns in the Rock all set up and it's like so easy, and then it actually gets worse. Did you guys know that the Rock did a social media post like the day before or the day of raw? Are you guys aware of this? He said that he had been named a Samoan Heitch Chief twenty years ago. He said, after twenty years of proudly carrying our culture with me around the world, I can't wait to soon return back home to Samoa. I already have chills thinking about it. Until then, I'll come back home to WWE tomorrow night as we make history on Netflix and begin a new and exciting era. Tomorrow Night is dedicated to my grandfather, the High Chief Peter Myvia, my grandmother Leah MYV and my dad Rocky Soulman Johnson, and my ancestors who have all paid the way. I read that and I was like, dude, like, there's a match for the ulafalla to determine who will be the tribal chief. Rock has just done a video about his ancestry. Hello, So then this dude shows up and the first thing he does is he puts over Cody and he makes some jokes and Cody laughs. Then he hugs him and he goes through the crowd again. Then they do the match for the Ulafalla. Roman wins and as he's celebrating before the beads get put around his neck, here comes the Rock. I'm like, okay, obviously, well the Rock gets this ulafalla and he looks at Roman Reigns and you can hear the crowd like this is the thing. You can hear the crowd buzzing. The crowd knew this as well. And then he puts the ulafalla around Roman Reign's neck. Do you realize that Dave has been talking about how important this ulafalla is to the storyline for like a year now and how it's this giant thing and this big match and everybody cares about it. Well, dude, he put the beads around this guy's neck and the crowd didn't even pop like you could hear, and they went what And then he hugged him and yes, I'm sure at some point, the Rock probably is going to turn on Roman Reigns. But dude, what was this raw? This was like a raw to get all of these fans that allegedly are like lapsed, the alleged lapsed fans, the casual fans who are flipping like, so what's on Netflix? Oh, it's raw. The idea here is to get these people invested in WWE. So like, I don't care if he attacks him tonight. I don't care if he attacks him at the end of the month. I don't care when the dude attacks him. Like, this was the show to shoot the Angle, not tomorrow, not next week, not next month. It's like that was the night. And so all of these imaginary lapsed fans or you know, we've never watched wrestling in since the eighties or whatever, see what's going on? What did they see? Well, they saw that The Rock is the best friend of Roman Reigns and Cody, Like, I'm baffled. It's a classic example of there was an easy way to do this, and let's think of a more complicated way. Let's swerve the people first, and then we'll shoot the Angle down the road. When like all those people that tuned in for this show, they ain't gonna be there. Do you guys remember SmackDown's debut on Fox? Does anyone remember when SmackDown debut on Fox? The first night? How many viewers they had? Do you remember? Lance?
Speaker 6: It was three plus million.
Speaker 1: Four million viewers for the debut? Four million? Do you know how many people watched Week two two and a half It was like two point two million? Okay, half the people that tuned in that first show didn't watch the second show. Do you guys remember what Dynamite did on their debut? It was like one point four one point five million. The next week it was like eight. Okay, whenever you have a debut, you're gonna lose half the viewers every time. It happens. It happened with aw it happened with SmackDown on Fox, and whatever they did on Netflix. They're gonna have half of that next week. So you can tell me all you want.
Speaker 6: You're a mark.
Speaker 1: Obviously he's gonna attack the guy. Why are you listen? I mean, you're probably right, but this was the show to do it, not week two. So anyway, I don't care. They're still gonna do well at WrestleMania. But like That was your Eric Bischoff, Huggs Vince McMahon moment when he first signs with WW It's like, why would you ever do that? Why? I don't get it.
Speaker 6: My take wasn't that they're just gonna do it later. My take was Rock always wanted to be a babyface and he's trying again, or that.
Speaker 1: There's not gonna be a match. That was other people's takeaway, like he's not doing mania, So like whatever they're doing, that's the message people got out of it. Either he blew off the two feuds or he's not doing mania. Is that the message you want to send to the biggest possible audience you're gonna get on Netflix? Not to me?
Speaker 6: Nope, that's what they did.
Speaker 1: Well, what do you think about this show?
Speaker 6: Production wise? It was very very impressive, Like I haven't watched Raw in ages, and I thought the show open video package on the you know, the screen hung around the ring was really great. The building looked impressive. But I found the show really slow and really long, and as someone who hasn't watched in a long time, there was no angle, nothing really compelling to insist I watch next week, Like I watched for three hours there was four matches and yes, don't believe any angles.
Speaker 1: Yes, well you know I I talked about this on the show last night and my good friend Paul Fontaine. I like Paul a lot, but you know, Paul said, I'll actually find it right here. He goes, he goes, what are you talking about? They didn't promote anything for next week? And he had like a list of matches that they went over for next week. And the list of matches was I mean, it was like a bunch of matches that they'd been building up for a while, and like nobody involved in the matches from for next week were even on the show. It's like, how is that going to get new people who tuned in excited to watch the show next week when you've advertised a bunch of matches of people that weren't even on the show, Like you should have had things on the show to shoot a goals so people tune in for the next week's show, not a standalone show anyway. Whatever. Back in the moment, Observer Live.
Speaker 2: You are listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike simper Vivi on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: I have more to say, so listen. So does Max apparently. Yeah, so here's here's a thing. I'll meet you for sequal. You take care, old Max.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: So the thing to me is this, okay, like, what what's what's the point of the raw debut on Netflix. I watched the show. I didn't mind the show. I mean it was it felt very long. But I didn't watch it and go this show is is terrible. But I did look at it as are we gonna hook any new viewers with this show? Because if you look at the success of WWE, and you can see it watching the show. I mean these fans, I mean seventeen thousand people. It was the highest and this is true, it was the highest gate ever for an arena show in the history of WWE. I mean they sold seventeen thousand tickets at sky high prices for this show and sold the place out. And you know, these fans, they're fans. Whatever you personally, listener think of the show. Their fans are eating this up, okay, And they have regained a lot of fans that they lost in you know, the twenty tens, and you know, up through twenty nineteen and early twenty twenties, and how have they done that. They didn't bring those fans back front with like one off shows featuring old people. They got those fans back because the weekly episodic storytelling is a thousand times better than it was five years ago. Okay, So to me, if you have a show like this where the idea is we are gonna have a ton of new eyeballs on tonight, to me, it's like, well, highlight what you've been doing well, which is episodic storytelling and shooting angles. So Paul here says there's no hook for next week. They did a whole three minute segment running down the card for next week, the finals of the Women's Intercontinental title tournament, Seamus versus Kaiser, Gable versus e lucid Or who's probably Penta, and Damien Priest versus Finn Valor in a street fight, and he is correct, they did run all of that down. However, those matches mean something to you if you are a regular raw viewer watching the show every week. Okay, but the idea here is we've got new people tuning in or lapsed fans giving us another shot. Okay, So of the lineup next week, the finals of the intercontinal women's title tournament. We saw neither of the women on this show. They may no appearances Seamous versus Kaiser, We saw neither of these men on the show. They made no appearance. Gable and a Luchador. We saw Gable on the show, but all he said was I want a lucchador, and they didn't tell you who the luchador was. Now we know. But if you're a lapse viewer, a new viewer, et cetera, you have absolutely no idea who this person is going to be. You may not even know them when they show up. And Damien Price versus Finnbller Street Fight, we saw neither of these people on the show. They made no appearances whatsoever. So if you're a new viewer, what does any of that mean to you? Absolutely nothing. Instead, you saw a show where Rock Blue off his feud with Cody, they're friends, Rock Blue off his feud with Roman, they're friends. All of the other matches had clean finishes. They blew off all of those matches. It's like, what is the incentive for a non fan or a new fan or a lapsed fan to tune in next week? Because of drone shots? Or great production. That is not what brought people back. Even when WWE was at its worst, they still had great production except for all the camera cuts. So that was my issue with the show. They shot this like a one off tune in one time and then go back to whatever you're doing, as opposed to, hey, you should start watching this. We got some good stuff going on.
Speaker 6: And I would also state too that announcing all of those matches, I believe we're done. At times where I was like forwarding through, like I'm hitting that ten second ahead thing because it's like they'll show celebrities in the crowd. I'm like, I don't care, and then they'll show oh, it's Kofey and Xavier standing in the crowd talking, but it's like whatever, it's just more talking.
Speaker 7: I was.
Speaker 6: Skipping the vast majority of that because it was like I just couldn't wait that long between matches. I was just getting bored with just seeing people stand there.
Speaker 1: Oh there was a lot of standing, and yes they did show some of these people standing in the crowd, but that is not shooting an angle or getting over the characters, or getting over the rivalry or doing whatever to make sure that you want to watch next week, so very quickly, he can give some thoughts on this as we go through the show, Lance. So it opened up with, you know, Hunter did a promo, and then Rock came out and Rock did a big promo being a total babyface, and then he put over Cody Rhodes, and then he put over Roman Reigns, and then he hugged Cody in the crowd, and then he said he would be watching the next match. This took about twenty minutes, although ironically, of all the shows, the show where they have no time constraints, they could have gone nine hours if they wanted. This may have been the first time in history Rock actually hit his timeque so that was ironic. Then we had Roman and solo tribal rules. I said to Dave that this was like a WrestleMania main event. He said it was not. But let me tell you something. Everybody go back and watch the Rock and Cody Rhoades at WrestleMania in the main event. It was literally the exact same match. It was slow early and then eighty five million people ran in and then they went to the finish. This match was exactly like the WrestleMania main event with Cody and Roman reigns. But it was with Solo Soca and it wasn't a bad match. It was boring early, but like the people did get in all the run ins, they did get into the near falls, they did chant this is awesome. They chanted for Cody to come out. Then they hit his music and he went crazy. All of the baby faces did big dives, and then Roman ends up spearing Solo and pinning him clean in the middle of the ring. And then Yes, the Rock came out. He put the ula far around the neck of the of Roman Reigns. He hugged him and that was that. Glad that feud's all blown off.
Speaker 6: Well, the thing is like, I haven't been watching and I didn't watch Mania last year, so I really wasn't aware of the previous angle, and this just felt like the return much like Taker and Hogan. It's just like a guy from the past came down endorsed the guy from the future. Yay, great seeing you again. Nostalgia at Rock, Like, that's more what it felt like to me as someone who wasn't aware of all of the story of the Roman bloodline with Rock, it just felt like Rock returned, did a celebrity cameo appearance and endorsed the current guy and left. That's what it felt like to me, not being aware of the previous angle.
Speaker 1: And that's what it felt like to everybody watching this show for the first time or coming back. Wow, he likes that guy. Hey, at least this time when the Rock acknowledged Roman reigns, fans didn't boom out of the building like they did about six years ago. We had all the celebs in the crowd. Then John Cena comes out. This guy does a nine hour promo and the gist of it is he's beginning his final run. He has not won a match, he claimed in two thousand, four hundred and forty six days, which is true, but also not true. It's all semantics. He actually has not won a televised singles match in twy four hundred and forty six days. The last time he won a televised singles match was Triple H at the Greatest Royal Rumble, which was like twenty eighteen. However, he has won many televised matches in multi person matches, and he's won many singles matches on the road. But he's pretending he can't win. Therefore he could never win that seventeenth title. But then he remembers, well, golly, there's a Royal Rumble coming up, maybe I should enter. So he is in the Royal Rumble and he will never give up and that's that.
Speaker 6: But he said the Royal Rumble's basically a lottery. Like to me, it's like, oh, it just it tells the narrative, which I've complained about before, Like fans love the Royal Rumble, but it's like you're saying that the most important match of the year is just a lottery crapshoot that this guy that hasn't won a match in six years could earn. Like it just seems like a really weird story.
Speaker 1: And then we had a Logan Paul promo where this this fella actually said, I am dedicating myself one hundred percent to WWE. No more outside projects, no more side hustle, one hundred percent WWE.
Speaker 6: It's a work, brother, It's more than work.
Speaker 1: So just just a lie, flat out. Why live Morgan Rhea Ripley for the WE title? Originally they announced this was the last woman Standing match, and uh, I had some people on the internet going, well, you know, they took the stipulation away because it would be too close to tribal combat. And it's like they just figured that out. They advertised both of these matches for weeks and weeks. They didn't just figure that out. For whatever reason, they just had a straight match. Ria beat her with the uh riptide. Two of them, pinder them tried to make up with her. Rhea kicked him in the Jimmy hit him with the riptide, and then rode around the ring. Actually she didn't. Undertaker came out in his motorcycle and they posed together and then he left without her a true gentleman. Adam Pierce.
Speaker 6: Yes, I just thought it was interesting that the match, like Match one in match two were so similar, like regardless of that they changed the steps so it wasn't identical. It's like they both had outside interference. They both had finishers kicked out of and then the babyface won by hitting their finish twice and winning. It was very similar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then we had Adam Pearce meets with American Maid, and this week Chad's story is there are rumors I have trouble with luchadors. Get me the best luchador on the planet next week, Pierce said, I have the perfect luchador for you. So Hunter's pretty much said, it's who you think it is. So unless you think it's someone other than Penta, well that's who it is. Then we had clips of the rock.
Speaker 6: Leaving, drinking, then driving.
Speaker 1: He did swig from a bottle of tequila and then jump into his car.
Speaker 6: How does how does how does someone not realize that's a bad idea?
Speaker 1: Well that's a great question, all right, we'll talk more about this after the break Observer Live.
Speaker 9: Do you want to add a boost to your sex life this weekend? Do you want to make your partner and yourself happy? Then call our special hotline now we'll sell you those little pills that work below the belt for less than one dollar a pill and deliver your package in a few days, just in time for the weekend. Our pill delivers almost the same results as expensive pills for less than a dollar apiece, and you don't need a prescription.
Speaker 10: And ask about their buy three get three free offer.
Speaker 1: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 10: Boost your sex life and have a great time now less than a dollar a pill, discrete delivery in a few days and a buy three get three free offer. Down this number and save it now.
Speaker 4: Eight hundred two two nine eight six two seven, eight hundred two two nine eight six two seven, eight hundred two two nine eight six two seven. That's eight hundred two two nine eighty six seven pay four by the pharmacy shot.
Speaker 11: Attention. Then here's a great way to have more fun in bed and save money. If you want to take something like viagra, they can give you a way to pay as little as two dollars a pill. Yes, two dollars a pill. Compare that to prices as high as sixty dollars per tablet. These pills work for men to improve their performance and confidence. You'll love them. And now for the price of two or three pills, you can get fifty or more for around one hundred dollars. You'll save hundreds of dollars off retail prices. That's enough to buy your data nice dinner. Don't pay expensive prices for viagra. Call now, order fifty or more of our blue pills and pay as little as two dollars a pill and save hundreds of dollars. Call any time for confidential shipping.
Speaker 4: Call Steelman Pills now eight hundred nine sixty five one two nine five eight hundred nine sixty five, one two nine five, eight hundred nine sixty five one two nine five, eight hundred ninety sixty five, twelve ninety five.
Speaker 12: Has someone in your family lost a job recently and now you can't afford your mortgage payment, or do you have a rental property and your tenants aren't paying you. Quick Cash Offer can come to the rescue and pay you cash for your home immediately. Yes, sell your home and get cash all over the phone, without dealing with real estate agents and risking your safety by showing your home to lukewarm buyers. You don't need to lose your home to foreclosure. If you have any equity in your home, we will buy it and give you cash within days, all in a simple over the phone and virtual process. Call Quick Cash Offer now before the economy gets worse. Sell a home you can't afford or just don't want to get the cash you need today.
Speaker 4: Eight hundred seven eight eight one four nine five, eight hundred seven eight eight one four eight hundred seven eight eight one four nine five. That's eight hundred seven eight eight fourteen ninety five.
Speaker 2: You were listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike semper VV on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: In the show Brian Alvarez here Wrestling Observer Alive like simper VV also for US actually is not here. Lance is here anyway, Jay Whu's and Drew McIntyre. I was told yesterday that Jay's entrance was going to be incredible, and it was. He actually probably has the most over entrance in all of WWE right now. I mean, people go nuts for this entrance, including Michael Cole, Pat McAfee.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they didn't help, but dude looked like a gigantic star with that entrance. That was impressive.
Speaker 1: I thought Cole was gonna need a to fibrillator. God, they're trying to dance on the table and Cole sounds like he's about to die, and at McAfee goes be an athlete, brother, He was not an athlete anyway. Jay beat him, spared him. Actually no, he did a crucifix after there was a Claymore attempt. It was a cool finish, not a lot of heat. And he was basically getting Jay a win back because he was the guy that got pinned by Solo to try to get Solo over better late than never for that match with Roman on this show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he keeked him off like a giant star. That entrance was pretty darn impressive.
Speaker 1: We had a bunch of other stuff, including Paul saying there would be a worldwide acknowledgment celebration for Roman. Apparently that will be January twenty seventh, which is Monday Night Raw. Roman is going to be a regular on Raw through WrestleMania, so I'm sure by then, you know, we'll be down to a normal Raw audience for rock showing up to beat this guy up. Then we had everyone's main man, Hulkgan coming out.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 1: He came out his music. It's a big pop. Then they turn the music off and everyone starts booing, and then he goes, I've been in the business forty years. Best part of my life being in WWE. They boo had a lot of tag partners, but you, fans, you're the best tag partners because you stuck with me through thicket. Then they start booing. Louder I have some new beer. He says. They bowed the beer, but you know they like beers, so wasn't that bad? Name drops Randy Savage. He got booed, Andre, he got booed and then he goes and the best tag team partner Netflix, and man, they booed the hell out of Netflix with all of the Netflix execs there. So Hogan tears off his shirt. He's got a Netflix shirt underneath, SLINKs to the back.
Speaker 6: This was a disaster.
Speaker 1: You don't say.
Speaker 6: Everything that they were trying to promote. He managed to get booed. And if you get beer booed at a wrestling show, you're really doing something. But yeah, I think they need to really rethink their use of Hulk Hogan because that was not good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've seen a lot of people talking about, you know, Hogan and Trump, And let me tell you something. There's a lot of people or there's a lot of reasons people don't like Hulk Hogan. And they did not boo him on this show because of Trump. And I can tell you that for a fact, because the Undertaker showed up in his motorcycle and that guy didn't get booed at all.
Speaker 6: Well, the thing is, Hogan didn't get booed with his music playing Taker had the noisy motorcycle and his music and he never spoke. They never gave anyone a chance. Like I agree, I don't think Taker would have been viewed as as Hogan was, but they were in a much safer position with Taker because the crowd would never get give them the chance to have silence to boo him.
Speaker 1: That is true. But I also did hear from a lot of people who were in the building and they said, like, nobody bowed the Undertaker. Everyone did boo Hogan. But I did have people say it wasn't quite as bad as it appeared on television because there were actually a lot of people that were cheering him, but the people that were booing him really didn't like him, and the booze like drowned out all the people cheering.
Speaker 6: You could see people in the crowd giving him the thumbs down and everything.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they did not like Hulkogan.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, there's lots of reasons why people don't.
Speaker 1: Then the main event was Punk and seth Rawlins, and man, I'll give him this. I mean, they worked really hard to the point that Punk looked like he was gonna die by the end, just like they're just you know, it's one of those things. It's much harder to work a fight, not like a fake like a Steve Austin brawling in the crowd or whatever. But like when you're kind of laying it in a little more and you're giving a little more, try to make it a little more real, so to speak, which they weren't like doing it like it was a shoot. But you know they do kicks of the face. We're like a little little tighter, and you know they got I mean, Punk got tired Seth. Seth didn't really get tired, but the fans were into it, dueling chance and at the end, like the story was, they kept hitting each other with each other's finishes, like Seth kept hitting him with the GTS and then finally he goes for this superplex in the falcon arrow. Punk turns it into a GTS and then collapses to his knees. I can't even believe this finish. Seth falls onto his shoulders as he stumbles off the ropes, and I was like, I don't know if this guy's gonna be able to get up, And he actually did it the first time, but he managed to get him up the second time he hit that GTS and then he died. And so yeah, he's on his way to I presume some sort of title match on Night one or to a Mania left to see which one. But it was a good main event. It was a solid main event.
Speaker 6: Punk takes the Greatest Go to sleeps his own move. He was giving a clinic on how to take his finish because he would tuck his chin and lead with his forehead and take that right in the head. It looked awesome. And the one thing that I like, because I'm a big proponent of this, it's like, whether he was legit that tired or selling some It's like, if you want a match to feel big and a win to feel significant, you should look like you were in a war at the end of it. Well, of course, and these guys really did that, So I'm I'm a fan of that, whether it was you know, one percent selling and ninety nine percent legit or the other way around. I don't think people should look fresh at the end of a long battle, So kudos.
Speaker 1: Well, we got NXT New Year's Evil tonight with Trick Williams against Oba Femi and Eddie Thorpe and way Roxane Perez and Julia for the NXT Women's title, which I would say is like ninety nine percent a title change. Lexus King Charlie Dempsey in a non Heritage Cup match for the Heritage Cup because Ava is completely incompetent. We've got Stephanie Vekir Kolonie, Jordan Kora, Jayden loloveis in a Number one contenders match for the NXT North American title. We have Fallon JC and Jasmine against Shatzi, Gigi and Tatum. And yes, yes, The Rock is going to appear at NXT tonight. Can you believe it?
Speaker 6: It'd be really interesting to see how many tickets they move off of this. It will be maybe he'll show up and give Avas some logistic pointers on making better decisions.
Speaker 1: Okay, so here's the here's the update I got. The NXT show is at the Expo Hall, not the Shrine. They had seventeen hundred seats set up and they sold those out. Oh so, but like the Rock is showing up at an NXT show in front of one thousand, seven hundred people, Okay.
Speaker 7: Go for it.
Speaker 6: Brother operating on the c dub.
Speaker 1: Oh he's going to p operating all right. So I don't think they'll sell any more tickets though, because I don't think there are anymore.
Speaker 6: Are you gonna revamp your prediction of the massive female call up now that SmackDown's going back to two hours.
Speaker 1: Brett, I don't know, dude. I mean, they have to call up some women because they don't have enough women for two titles. But I don't know how many they'll call up. I don't know what's going on, dude. I can't answer this question for you. I'm flabbergasted.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and they have to call them up because they've got so many women in nxt.
Speaker 1: Roxane should be up immediately after losing to Julia. I mean, debut you are and the Women's Royal Rumble, have a win for all I care and h and let's go.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I would prefer a slower start. I like watching people climb the ladder and not jump to the top of it. But I agree she should be called up. She's been there long enough.
Speaker 1: The three hour SmackDown debuted at one point five million viewers, second on the primetime cable rankings point four five eighteen to forty nine and uh yeah, good number. Can't wait till it goes back to two hours. It's weird though, because I mean, like the way it's actually amazing. It's just amazing watching wrestling. I watch a lot of wrestling you know what I'm saying. I think I watch more than most because I think most people that like WWE don't watch AW, and most of do watch AW don't watch WWE, and most of what Anyway, the point of this is, pacing is so important in these shows. That SmackDown was a It was like a regular SmackDown show. They did matches, they did interviews, they did angles, they did video packages, and the fact is, like I'm not saying it, it flew by because it didn't like the main event. I really thought the main event dragged on that show, and it had all the biggest stars, but it was it was easy to get through. I got through that show in ninety minutes, just and I only skipped commercials, and I only skipped like if they did a recap of something I already saw on the show. Ninety minutes. I got through a three hour SmackDown and it was just like, Okay, you know, I can I can handle that. This raw show, golly I had. I watched it in two parts. I watched. I watched like an hour or so, and then like I put the kids to bed and I watched another two hours or whatever. And even though there was like a break in the middle, I was like, God, I've been watching this show for like seven hours. Is this show ever gonna end? And part of it was just like God, there's so much nothing happening that just causes time to like slow down. Like I wanted to watch Jay's entrance, and I wanted to watch like, you know, Roman's entrance and see the production and everything, but there's just so nothing happening. And it just went on for hours and hours and hours.
Speaker 6: And it was longer for me because we didn't get commercials. We just got action the whole time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and those of you that didn't get commercials, you also saw things we didn't see, Like there's a segment where the New Day came out and got booed. We never saw that. Really, No, it wasn't on the show at all. And actually I can find because somebody actually sent me a list. They go, you didn't talk about this and this and this, and I was like what, And then they explained all this stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because oh here it is.
Speaker 1: Here it is, so this guy goes I was listening to you on Observer Radio this morning in your raw recap. You missed so much stuff. I'm wondering if the US version was different than the Canadian version. The Canadian one had no commercials. It was three hours street non shop. Yes, that's very different. We had tons of commercials in the US. So what we missed was the New Day segment bashing the crowd explaining why the tag match with Ray was off. No idea cross and miss segment. Never saw it. Rhea and Damon had a title celebration where Priest challenged Bellor to a street fight next week. Never saw it, and uh yeah, just never saw it. Wasn't on the show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, those were all like interview segments with like Jackie Redman from Like a Box. I fast forward a lot of them, but I saw them, and yeah, we would get what felt like a pitch to commercial break and the screen to go black for half a second and then it'd come back and we just continue watching the show. So we had if there was a commercial during a match, we saw the whole match, and we saw all of these other segments.
Speaker 1: This guy goes, you need ad free Netflix. I have ad free. That doesn't mean commercial free. In the US. When you're watching raw, they're gonna air commercials. It's like a normal raw show. I am on Premium four K. I'm in the US, and we get commercials during the show, and everyone's like, you need a VPN. I don't want to watch the whole show. I'm happy with commercials. God, how much time do you think I have here? Jimminy Christmas? Anyway, let's go to a break. You know what I like breaks back in a moment. It's ever Live.
Speaker 2: You are listening to Wrestling Observer Live with Brian Alvarez and Mike semperviv on the Sports Byline Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 1: All right, two things. First off, NXC sold out oney seven and ninety three tickets for the Rock tonight, so there's that. And yeah, I'm trying to figure out what is going on with Netflix because like several people here said, they got no ads the entire show.
Speaker 6: And.
Speaker 1: Like, I'm on the highest tier, I'm on Premium four K, no ads, I got commercials all night. They've got commercials all night.
Speaker 6: Will there be commercials if you click on it today and watch it on delay?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's because I watched it on delay, which is fine. I don't care, but I probably should see all the segments. I don't know. Man, weird all this technology. I could barely even like I'll say one thing, like I got on and apparently this wasn't a very widespread problem, but I did google it, and there are many people that do have this problem, like this Netflix, like they're password sharing gimmick now. They it would not let me watch on my phone or my iPad. It said this device is not part of your household, and I was like, what, I'm in my house. It's like, make sure you're on the same wireless network. It's like, I am, well, not let me watch it. The only thing it would allow me to watch on was one TV on the on the highest tier. And so the only way I could figure out how to get around this is I had to log out of everything. I had to try to log in on the TV, use my iPad to take a picture of the QR code to log into the TV, and that allowed me to use my iPad for that moment. But like, I don't know if that's gonna work next week, and so I google it. It's like yeah, people with Apple, I mean it's it's like and then the most annoying thing is all of the things on the internet telling you how to do it. They go go to Netflix on the TV and go onto the left hand menu, and they'll have this like thing there, which of course wasn't there on my Apple TV. And then there's a little thing that goes If that doesn't work, you're gonna need to find another device. It's like what what? So anyway, good luck everybody. Thanks Lance. I'll talk to y'all next time. Prediction show tomorrow. Wrestling Observer Live. You have been listening to the Wrestling Observer Daily podcast on the eight Side Network