Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Laura Vanderkamp. I'm a mother of five, an author, journalist, and speaker.
Speaker 3: And I'm Sarah hart Hunger, a mother of three, practicing physician, writer, and course creator. We are two working parents who love our careers and our families.
Speaker 2: Welcome to best of both worlds. Here we talk about how real women manage work, family, and time for fun. From figuring out childcare to mapping out long term career goals. We want you to get the most out of life.
Speaker 1: Welcome to best of both worlds. This is Laura. This episode is.
Speaker 2: Airing at the end of May of twenty twenty four. Sarah is going to be interviewing Ellen Golinski, whose new book is about All Things adolescents. So, Sarah, maybe you can tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this book is well. Actually, I'm going to mention first that Ellen Golenski is amazing. She's had just such a long career of writing about things that she has found interesting, and a lot of times those things have kind of mirrored different experiences in her life. She's written about young children, she's written about working parenthood. I'm actually surprised we haven't talked to her about that. Specifically, as she is very much in favor of women having choices about what they do and how that children can thrive under different types of circumstances. But more recently she's focused on the teen years and wrote a very comprehensive book called The Breakthrough Years, putting together her own kind of unique style of research and findings and a lot of kind of primary source material from teens themselves. She went right to the real source here, which I think is refreshing and really really cool. So definitely a fun book to check out. But Laura, you're a teen expert too at this point, I feel like when you.
Speaker 2: Say yes, so yeah, I now have a seventeen year old and a fourteen year old and a twelve year old in addition to my younger kids. So we've been in the teen years for several years now, have several more years to go in it.
Speaker 1: But I'm actually really really liking them. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, you hear various horror stories about teenagerhood or whatever, but it seems good. I mean, I guess you don't quite have teens yet. You're getting there, No, I don't.
Speaker 3: But I love listening to you chat about the things that you do with your teens, the different trips you take, the one on one time you spend together, and at least for my observation of your stories, I feel like you've really enjoyed those times and enjoyed these years a lot. So I'm more excited about it than I am scared at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think I don't know that I have any particular advice or expertise because every kid is so different, But I think one thing that's been very helpful for me, because you know, so I'm just passing this along as a tip, is just to you know, if your kid annoys you about something they have done that's, you know, within the realm of normal adolescent behavior, you might just remind yourself of how much.
Speaker 1: Worse it could be.
Speaker 2: So if there are, for instance, I don't know, food wrappers all over the car that the child borrowed, or if there's dirty laundry in the hall, or I don't know, I mean, those aren't particularly things that we've had problem with, but I'm just saying those as hypotheticals.
Speaker 1: Here. You could tell yourself, like I mean, your.
Speaker 2: Kid could be addicted to drugs, your kid could be in trouble with the law. I mean, there's so many worse things that could happen. And if those things were the case, and you were offered the choice of like, hey, you could have that, or you could have dirty laundry in the hall, what would you like?
Speaker 1: You'd be like, oh, dirty laundry. Give me the dirty laundry. I'm thrilled about the dirty laundry. And so maybe it just helps to have that as your mindset to begin with.
Speaker 3: I love it. Do you feel like teens of today And I don't know I'm going out on a limb here with this one, but do you feel like teens are more interested in hanging out with their parents compared to when we were teens?
Speaker 1: I think they're There is some evidence that that is the case.
Speaker 2: That people are not as it can be viewed positively or negatively. I mean, there's something to be said about adolescents and establishing your own independence, and people complain about young people needing their parents to intervene in all sorts of college decisions or even in job applications, which seems crazy because those are of course markers of adulthood. But on the other hand, like it's not a bad thing that your young adult child wants to have a relationship with you. That's actually pretty awesome. And so if that is a development over time, I'm here for it. Like if my kids want to hang out with me, I am very excited about that and flattered that that might be the case.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: Well. I'm excited for everyone to listen to this interview because I learned so much from Ellen, and I'm sure you will too well. I am so excited to welcome author and researcher extraordinaire Ellen Golinski to the podcast. She recently released a book called The Breakthrough Years, which you are going to talk about, but she's had an incredible career even before that as well. So Ellen, welcome. Can you introduce yourself a little bit to our listeners.
Speaker 4: I think of myself as a research adventurer because I've spent my whole life following questions, questions that I don't really know the answers to, and questions that I think matter. And it's an extraordinary way to live a life. It really is, because you can wander into all kinds of places and talk to all kinds of people when you're following your questions and finding things that then you try to translate into action. So started when I was a teacher. Actually I was a teacher of young children, and I know what we thought we were teaching them, but I didn't know what they were actually learning. So they were preschool kids. So I made a model classroom and asked them to pretend to be at school. And their visions of school were so different than the actual experiences that we thought we were giving them. It was shocking. You know. They had the very cultural This was a school where the kids chose activities, They had a lot of hands on experience. The schools that they made these little children were, you know, little rows of desks and raise your hand, and the culture what a school is was so strongly influencing them. Even then, I have found in throughout the years that the answers are not what we would expect. It's just a very exciting life. When I had a first child, I wondered about how we as a culture helped people transition into parenthood, and then wrote a book about that. Sometimes I start with the idea of a book, sometimes I don't, but that began a book that just was in me, that was bursting out. I just had, I had to write that one, and then I got interested in how parents grow, and there wasn't very much literature, so I had to actually do an exploratory study, and that became a book, and I started to do series of studies. After doing research on wrote a book about childcare. In the United States, childcare was seen as very evil at the time, stranger danger. You know, you wouldn't why shouldn't you just stay at home and take care of your children? But increasingly that wasn't the reality of most people's lives, and so I wanted to find good childcare around the country and look at what made it work, and that became a book. And then in listening to those the stories of parents and the stories of families. When we were interviewing and doing the research for the book on childcare, I began to see that there was the secret thing that people had. It didn't even have a name, but it was managing work in family life. So we're talking a while ago. But it wasn't cold work in family life. It wasn't cold work life. If it wasn't called any of those sorts of things. Then then I started an organization and did a series of studies and in the course of doing those studies, I wanted to interview not only the spouse of the employee, because we were doing studies about the employees, I wanted to also interview the kids. And I found that kids it was like the image that I had was that parents and children were looking through the same picture window, but they were seeing different scenery, a whole different vista, very different. And so that led me into what became a book called Ask the Children, which is how kids feel about their working parents and so on. You know, some of the books are intentional, some of them aren't. But often when I feel like I have enough to say and people don't know it, and it's often about bursting the miss you know, the assumptions that we make, then it becomes a book.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm actually shocked that we haven't had you on previously, just because this podcast is so focus. I mean, our tagline is making work and life fit together, and we hope to empower women who are choosing. We respect anybody who makes either decision, but we felt like there just wasn't enough out there for women who do really enjoy their careers and want to experience that and have a wonderful family life as well. So I feel like we're long overdue and we may have to have you on again. I get back into those childcare issues and the issues you just mentioned, because that is just so near and dear to our hearts and the hearts of our audience. So that is super cool and I love that. So at the same time, you have had a little bit of a recent pivot, not really, because actually there's clearly a common thread, which is that A you like to do your own research, and B you like to go straight to the source, not necessarily the adult source. But can you talk a little bit about how you have kind of focused in on teens and adolescents over the recent past with your new work.
Speaker 4: I've practiced a form of reach church called civic science. And what civic science means is that you go to the source. Your way of saying it is beautiful. I don't make assumptions about people. I find out what's on their minds. So for thirty years I did the largest nationally representative study of the US workforce and the largest nationally representative study of the US workplace. And my studies were in the news all the time. And why it's not that I'm so brilliant. It's that I know how to listen, you know, I just I would ask employers what keeps you up at night? What are you worrying about? And then put it into the study. I would ask employees the same question, put it into the study. And so it's always breaking new grounds. Civic science is and I'm thankful for you for doing a podcast on it, because there wasn't enough discussion then and there still isn't enough discussion now.
Speaker 3: I love that. But what brought you to the current focus on teens? Because I have been through your book, not with a fine tooth cam yet, like I want to go through it again in even more detail. But I am fascinated at the level of individuality captured of some of the voices in the book, as well as with some of the takeaways, which are kind of a mix of some of the things you'd expect and then also some things that are a little bit different.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think often getting upset, getting angry, getting annoyed, getting thinking they don't get it, they don't get it, leads me to the next project. And in this case, I was really tired of people in the early childhood years saying that if they just had one year of preschool, all would be good for the rest of their lives. You know. Some people didn't do that, but there was the sense of it's the foundation and if you screw it up, it's too late. And people felt that way about my book Mind and the Making, and I was like, no, no, no, no, no, we have to carry it through. Foundations are critical, you know, they're the house of on a foundation, but you still building the architecture upwards, and we need to pay attention to the older years or we're not going to really help kids grow and learn and thrive. And all of my work has been around helping families learn and thrive. I mean, there's the common theme in it. But I started out civic science by going to young people themselves and saying, what do you want to know about your own development? What should I ask the researchers who study people your age if you had one wish to improve the lives of people your age, what would that wish be? Or what questions do you have about yourself? And what don't you understand about yourself? Just a lot of open ended questions, which you can do when you're starting something, and it took me in a completely different direction than I thought I was going. If you just read the research on adolescents, you would go in one direction, but if you talk to them, you go in a completely different direction. And they're what they say. Said to me that we talked to thirty eight fourteen to eighteen year olds from around the country, even from other parts of the world, and they said, why don't people like teenagers? That's simple, like, look at us, We're not the stereotypic teenagers. Who is you know? That got me to look into what is our societal conception of teenagers of adolescents? And they wanted, you know, I asked the question in the eventual nationally representative study that I did, I ask what do you want to tell adults about people your age? And they wanted it to be comprehensive. So it is a comprehensive book. It is, you know, most books are here's you know, here's my point, and you know, I'm going to tell you what I'm going to tell you, and now I'm telling you, and now I told you kind of a thing. They wanted a comprehensive story. That's why they're five messages from young people about what they want us to know, and it actually aligned with the research, the new research. I call it the breakthrough years because these are breakthrough years for kids, but also researchers have had so many breakthroughs in how they understand adolescens, so breakthrough on both sides.
Speaker 3: I love that we're going to take a quick break and then get into some specifics. All right, we are back and we are going to delve into the breakthrough years a little bit. But one thing I loved, loved right off the bat was that you opened I don't know if you opened or closed, but I read it in your book where you mentioned the just you wait kind of prophecy. That's like Laura and I's least favorite phrase, just in general, like just you wait, because often we find that either it's not true and that it potentially causes a lot of unnecessary angst. So I would love you to delve in to kind of how you addressed this particular sentiment I think, especially around teenagers, and how it might actually do some damage.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean when young people said to me, why don't people like teenagers? That took me right back to the birth of my first child. So I opened the book with that because he was premature. He was in the hospital for a while. He didn't come home right away. He was in the hospital for five weeks before he was big enough to come home. He was perfectly healthy, just small, and he had to gain enough weight for them to let him out of the hospital. And I brought him home, and you know, there he was my perfect little person. You know. Now he was big. It was all of almost five pounds. He had ten little fingers and ten little toes. And I just was thrilled to this little person now who was finally in my house. And a neighbor came home over to see him, to welcome him to the world, and she said, just wait to lease a teenager. And it was like, what, you know, I just am feeling so much joy and I've been through such agony over you know, would he be healthy, would he survive? You know, with foreign prematurely, that's scary. And now I've got this jail like since hanging over my head for the next ten years or something. Uh So I asked that in the study, I ask how many people have had heard just wait, And sixty one percent of parents in a nationally representative group have heard just wait until they're teenagers. Interestingly, to me, parents did something else, which is I'd say I'd start the in person interviews that I did in between the two national studies. I'd start the in person interviews saying, like, if I were someone from another country, tell me what it's like to be the parent of a child your age, and they would to a person, they would say, I'm lucky, my kid's okay, my kid isn't this terrible person. So it's just the consent options of what adolescents are supposed to be, Like, they're so embedded in us that there were the opening gambit to every conversation I had with parents.
Speaker 3: Like, even though I'm the exception to the rule, i still believe this trope because it's just been what people say. And you said something interesting on another podcast was that there's actually some data that like expecting badness may make it more likely to happen. I found that fascinating. I also wonder if it applies in other realms of life. But can you share a little bit about that well?
Speaker 4: I wanted to understand when we ask the question and what you want to tell the adults about people your age. We found that twenty one percent of young people say understand us, understand our development. And who hasn't had a teenager say that to you? You know, you understand us, you don't understand us, you know, And it can be sort of something that we brush off. But in fact I ask a question that got it that I ask adults what they're conceptions of the team brain were. I came out of sitting at a conference on neuroscience with neuroscientists where they were debating what public thought about teenagers, and I thought, well, I'll just ask, and so I did, and we don't understand them. What I found is that only fourteen percent of parents use positive words, twenty seven percent use neutral words, fifty nine percent use negative words. The most frequent negative word, by eleven percent, was immature, and then another eight percent. So almost one in five of us think of our adolescence as deficit adults, and we don't understand that they're acting the way that they're programmed to act. Their brain is priming them to be exploratory, to have strong emotional reactions to things as they figure out how to move out into the world and to become whom they want to be or to be whom they want to be. So it's it's normal, it's developmentally completely, it's development necessary for them to be this way, and yet we don't you know, a lot of us don't understand that. So that I think was a very important finding that we actually our adult perspectives. It's called the curse of knowledge in cognitive science, where we now know something, then we don't remember not knowing it. We can't see the world without knowing it. I think that part of that is true in how we think about teenagers.
Speaker 3: Interesting, Yeah, you can't really strike anything from the record, and then you're maybe handicapped by that. Very interesting. You also talk about how it is very developmentally appropriate for teens to have heightened emotions and how we react to that as parents can either be helpful or perhaps very hurtful if it's not done right. And it seems like that was a common theme that came out. Can you talk a little bit about that.
Speaker 4: Yes, I just love I mean, young people are so articulate. You know, young people wrote down the things that they didn't like that adults said to them, like stop being such a teenager. Well, they are a teenager, you know, they're supposed to be a teenager. That's what they are, and or you're you know, hormonal mess or oh my god, puberty or you know all of the things like that. And so we need to understand that they're supposed to have these very heightened feelings. They're like emotional detectors. I thought of it like a Geiger counter. If anyone remembers what they are. You know, where you go around and you can find metal in the soil. They're supposed to be able to be sensitive to emotions. How else will they know who are the people that they want to be with, Who are the people who make them feel safe as they move further from the home. I don't believe that there's sort of something called independence that they separate and are never connected to us. Again, you know that we're always interdependent. In my book The Six Stages of Parenthood, I called it the stage of interdependence. But they're moving out far, they're into the world, and they need that ability to be an emotional detector.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and how about our response to those emotions? What are they looking for? It sounds like a big theme was to be listened to and not have their feelings be discounted. But can you go into more depth? As how we can be supportive as parents even in the moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's where I found civic science so helpful, because they can tell you exactly what works and what doesn't work. They want to be talked with, not at one child I call them. Joshua, who is twelve years old from California, said, listen with when I was a child's mind, not just now I'm an adult mind. So try to take their perspectives and understand how it feels to be a teenager or how it felt once. But don't say, oh, I was your agent and I got over it. You know you'll get over it. Explain that they're supposed to have those feelings. If they I mean, they really want to understand it, they will say, oh, I didn't know that was normal. I didn't know we were supposed to feel this way. So listen, listen more than you talk, they said, Listen with an understanding of their development. And then I think also help them learn to solve problems. I ask young people for three you know, the most important parenting or teaching skills, and they said, listen more than you talk. Listen with when I was a child's mind as well as now I'm an adult mind, So take their perspective and then if we're the problem, then we need to be part of the solution. Using young people's words here, but they need to develop the ability to solve problems for themselves. So using autonomy supportive practices or I call them skill building practices, is a way to help them learn the skills to manage the world rather than fixing things for them.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of skills to manage the world, you go off. I don't know if it's a tangent or sort of a subtopic, but executive function comes up a lot in this book, I guess because that's one area that's really developing and just impacts a lot of how kids and teens experience daily life. So how what does that mean? And how can we support our kids, even those who might be struggling to develop that executive function as I know many adults still struggle with that as well.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, it's actually a culmination. It's the fifth message because it's to me ties so much together. If we help young people and ourselves develop executive function skills, we're going to learn better, We're going to thrive better. It kind of pulls it all together, I think it's the biggest secret. You know, there's always a gap between research getting to practice. The research on executive function skills is maybe twenty or so years old by that name anyway, And yet if you walk into a classroom a group of I'm working with the ASAY, which is the school Superintendent organization, and they're always saying, if you walk into a group of superintendents and you asked them to hold up their hand if they've heard executive function, not many people will raise their hand. And if they do, they'll think it has to do with problems with executive function, which is ADHD or other learning problems, or it has to do with organizing, or it has to do you know, making tabs in your notebooks, or it has to do with being able to sit still and be compliant and listen to the teacher, and those are all parts of it, but it is these are the skills of learning. These are how we learn. They are the most important skills. And so I think that we need to you ask what we should do. And I think it's helping children become aware of how they learn, not just what they learn. We focus a lot on what they learn, but how they learn. So when did you figure out You know, you struggled with getting your homework done, but this time you did it and it wasn't such a struggle. What was different? How did you manage that? What did you learn from that? Or you're doing some project on the river, let's say, or you know science that looks at how rivers develop, in the function of rivers in society, making it up, but not just what did you learn about rivers? But how did you learn best? What helped you learn something? How does your memory work? So executive function is an umbrella concept. It's not us thing. It's a set of sub skills. There are four sub skills that I think are important. They are working memory, which means using what you know. It's not enough to memorize something, you have to be able to use it put it to action. It is being able to think flexibly. Because the world changes and we need to change with it. We need to understand other people's point of view. That's just one example of thinking flexibly. That everybody doesn't think the way we do, and understanding different perspectives is really critically important to surviving in society. It's reflecting that isn't often seen as an executive function skill. These are attention regulation skills. The attention when we reflect is internal intention attention, not just external attention. We're paying attention to ourselves, we're pausing, we're stepping back. It does take place in a different part of the brain than default mode network, but it is highly linked to executive function skills, so I put it in there. And then finally self control, which is doing what you need to do, not going on automatic, but doing what you need to do to achieve a goal. So these are the core skills, and they're the building blocks of things that we know are important, like setting goals or perspective taking or communicating or collaborating or problem solving or taking on challenges. Those are the five skills that I outline that are very important, and each of them has sub skills that go along with it.
Speaker 3: Awesome, We're going to take another quick break and then I want to ask you a little bit about your I don't know how you might have applied this to your younger self. We'll be right back. So it seems like we've gotten some things right about the teen years, but maybe historically we got a lot of things a little off base. So was there anything you discovered while you were doing this research that you might have done differently yourself, or you kind of like have seen being done that you wish could turn around.
Speaker 4: Yes, this research helped me understand some things that I did that worked, and it helped me figure out what I did do that didn't work as well. My mother was wonderful at listening to us, and particularly if we thought that she was doing something that she could do better as a parent. She really took our if you want to call it criticism or advice, very seriously. I didn't realize how absolutely exceptional that was until I started spending the night with other kids and saw that there you know, that would have been seen as back talk. We had to be very polite if we told mother that we didn't agree with the decision she made, but we could say it, and very often she would listen. Not always she was the boss, but that was something that I just did with my children. And when I asked my children the question that you just asked me, because I figured that someone was going to ask me that what should I do differently? They said I made a lot of mistakes, but the thing that I always did was listen to them and do something, you know, really listen very hard and try to change if something wasn't working very well. So I did that. And they also said my son said that I didn't prejudge his friends, that they could be from really different backgrounds. They were always welcome. I wasn't prejudiced against some people. He really valued that because he saw a lot a lot of parents who had preseid ideas, you don't hang out with these kids. You do hang out with these kids. And my son also said that I really valued his pursuing his interests. He is a musician. He played the drum. Other parents could find that annoying, I assume, but I found it wonderful that he brought music into our lives. And you know now as his doctorate in music and just got selected today as the you know in New York State is the artist's the best artistic contribution as an entrepreneur in the state. I mean, that's like, wow, that's pretty amazing. He would say that it's because if that's what he always wanted to do, and he always wanted to do music, that I was like helping him resident saying, you know, why don't you be a lawyer or something. I think the thing that I would do differently is to pause more, not to react as quickly, the importance of reflection, of stepping back and not just reacting, so that learn from looking at the research. For sure.
Speaker 3: Oh that's awesome, and I can imagine that's something that requires practice, But I myself will try to keep that in mind as a fairly impatient kind of person who probably needs to work on that.
Speaker 1: So that's awesome.
Speaker 3: I love hearing it. I guess one more question because it keeps coming up in other venues in discussions on teens, and I'm sure you get it a lot, but there's a lot in the cultural zeitgeist about how we've ruined the entire generation.
Speaker 1: Because of phones. How can we, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Address that since they are certainly part of our current landscape and reality, and we're not going to be able to, as Laura and I say, make it nineteen ninety five again.
Speaker 4: Phones are the kid currency up today, and we're not going back to nineteen ninety five or a world without pundes. We're just not. And so we have to figure out how to use them the best way and how to change what's not working about them. I think that We always look for a bad guy in the culture, and phones have been our recent bad guy, you know, the easiest thing to blame. We see mental health going up, problems with mental health rising, and phone use parallels that. So people say, oh, it's causal. The latest science shows that it's not causal. Phones can be harmful for some kids if they're used too much, or if the kids are already struggling with certain issues. They were not designed for children. They need to be designed for adolescents and for younger children. The endless scroll, the likes, the figures that are perfect when you feel so imperfect. All of those things aren't particularly healthy. We need ways of making phones better, but we also need to appreciate that they open up the world of possibilities to young people. I've been on a task force in consulting with a federal government that is looking at the whole issue of kids online health and safety, and we're very careful to state the benefits as well as the potential harms. The potential benefits. The best review of the literature out there for people who really want to look at the literature besides my chapter, which I'm still pretty proud of, is there's a whole section in the book on the Digital World is The National Academy of Sciences released a report in December that summarizes the research on what we know now and what we need to know about phones, and the American Psychological Association just a few days ago came out with another advisory. So the world is trying to catch up with the latest bad guy. We've had bad guys before. I've seen them come and go, so we have to put it in perspective. I think two other thoughts about phones. One is that it's a really great place for us to help kids learn self control. They are meant their designed to be addictive. They want you to do that endless scroll. They're rewarding, you know, if you get likes, you want to see how you stay in. Of course, the imaginary audience for teenagers becomes a real audience. You can see how people react to what you post, and so we need to help them learn how to manage this. And if we can help them learn that, just think of all of the things that feel addictive in life can be well managed if we give them that foundational skill. And then I think we need to worry about what phones are displacing. If they're displacing being outside and running, that's a time for creativity. It's a time to feel more centered, it's a time to be physically active. We need that. If they're replacing sleep, I'd love the research in the book that Rick hugen Ar that I report on from Rick Hugenar at the John Hopkins where he's discovered that memories getsolidated during sleep, so they're essential to learning. They're not just being rested and rest in recovery. They are really essential to learning. So we need to manage phone use but not freak out about it. And it hasn't. Has the kids told me and know in certain terms the internet is not going to be the death of the whole generation.
Speaker 3: Well, that is reassuring. I think we both agree and I love that perspective. Well, let's end on our love of the week. I did give you a warning, so I will let you go first. What is your love of the week this week?
Speaker 4: Well, this week was my birthday yesterday, Happy birthday. And my grandson who usually he's eleven, doesn't usually do things on school nights because his mom is really careful about making sure he gets enough sleep. We live about fifteen minutes away, and he decided to come and he worked really hard at finding a present for me for my birthday. So what he brought me and I know you can't see it on the podcast, but I'm home it now, so imagine it is. It's called living Animal. It's a labradoodle. He knows how much I love my two dogs, and he wanted to give me another dog, but instead he gave me a stuffed animal that is big, white and fluffy labradoodle and it is just adorable and I'm very much in love with him and with this labradoodle that I now have.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, that is so sweet and it sounds like he absolutely nailed it, so that is awesome. Mine is going to be a tech tip which is super basic, but if you ever are interviewing someone, or perhaps just want a deep dive on someone's work, you can actually search for their name and Apple podcasts and then be presented with a million places that they have done interviews previously. So not sharing my trade secrets here, but I did it for Ellen, and I've done it for many guests in the past, but I've also done it for other random people that I've become interested in, because then you might expose you to some new podcas, new perspectives, et cetera. And I don't think I realized you could do that until recently. But yeah, you can search for the subject of the podcast, not just the title. So thank you so much for coming on. This was amazing and as I said, can't wait to Delvin even deeper with a fine tooth calm. Just remind our listeners the full name of your book and of course where they can find you.
Speaker 4: It's called the Breakthrough Years because I really would like us as a society to make these the breakthrough years for adolescence. Help us see them as a time of possibility, and there are so many resources in the book that can help us turn what is often seen as the time of storm and stress or a just wait time into a time where we can build on adolescence possibilities, a time of very sensitive brain development. The subtitle is a new scientific framework for raising thriving teens, and it really is a framework. It's comprehensive. Adolescents wanted us to fully understand them, so the book takes the five messages that were most important to them and fully explores them.
Speaker 3: Awesome well Thank you so much again for coming on my pleasure.
Speaker 1: All Right, we are back.
Speaker 3: That was so much fun to chat with Ellen Galinsky. Definitely check her book out. And now we have our Q and A segment. This one came in for Laura specifically. You'll see why in a second, and she writes, you all have talked about whether or not to have more kids, and this is usually it seems like going from two to three kids. But Laura, you have five kids. Maybe this episode exists, but I'd be interested in hearing more about deciding to have kids number four and five. I have three kids and I'm probably done, but maybe not. And I'm also interested in the logistics. Did you store all the baby stuff or give it away and buy more later?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the logistics of the baby stuff is the least fraught part of that, So it's sort of funny that that was in this question. I mean, you know there's so many people selling used baby items or you can easily buy things. I mean, we've certainly we had a great guest many years ago who was a foster parent, and basically you can learn like overnight that you're going to have a baby in your house the next day and she went out to Target and got everything she needed and it was fine.
Speaker 1: So I think you.
Speaker 2: Don't need to worry about any of that. Feel free to give your stuff away to friends if you'd like, because they'll probably give it back to you if you get pregnant again, or you know you can purchase it, or if you want to store it, go for it if that makes thinking about the transition a little bit easier than you know. If you have the room in your house, then not a problem to put things in a closet for a few years while you make a decision. But yeah, we don't really get the question of should I have a fourth kid or should I have a fifth kid.
Speaker 1: We always get the question of should I have a third kid. I guess that's just the more common question.
Speaker 2: But I think if you're feeling maybe not done Sarah and I have certainly discussed this with people in the past and certainly seen this with each other, that if you're feeling maybe not done, that may be a sign that you do want more, And if your partner is open to it or maybe even actively hopeful about the idea, then you can maybe just sit with the idea for a month or two and see if you both feel excited about it, because you can always try for four without trying for five, Like you don't have to make that as a joint decision for you know how many more you're going for. You can simply say, well, maybe we're open to a fourth and have a fourth. And if you have a fourth and decide it's the most awesome thing in the world, and you want to have even more kids and you don't feel done, then you can go for a fifth. But maybe you will have that feeling after four like, Okay, that's plenty, my family is complete. I can tell everyone that I feel very complete after five, which was not necessarily how I had felt, for sure after number three or four. So I mean, partly it's that I'm old, like I don't think we're having more kids at this point anyway, But I certainly have that feeling of my family feeling complete in a way that I didn't one hundred percent earlier.
Speaker 1: So I think that's something worth listening to.
Speaker 3: And I will say, just because you feel complete at one moment, you might change your mind in a year, or maybe the other way around, like sometimes when people struggle to have kids, the gap gets longer, and then you become at peace with like not moving.
Speaker 1: Back to the baby stage.
Speaker 3: So it's hard to sort of like plan ahead and assume that you'll be stuck with a given goal or mindset around having more kids, because also you can't count on what's going to happen. But I will say what Laura. I agree with what Laura says, which is that like, if you're not sure if you're done, to me, that sort.
Speaker 2: Of suggests that maybe you're not, because you had that feeling right after too that you were not sure you were done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean not instantaneously, but I was not like totally sure, and then after three I was like and seeing, we are good.
Speaker 1: That's it, feeling like this is the family, this is good.
Speaker 2: So yeah, all right, well this has been best of both worlds. Sarah has been interviewing Ellen Golinski about her book The Breakthrough Years and All Things Adolescents. We will be back next week with more on making work and life fit together.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening. You can find me Sarah at the shoebox dot com or at the Underscore Shoebox on Instagram, and you can.
Speaker 2: Find me Laura at Laura vandercam dot com.
Speaker 1: This has been the best of both worlds podcasts.
Speaker 2: Please join us next time for more on making work and life work together.