Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Oh, I am all in again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 3: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in Podcast one eleven productions, iHeart Radio, iHeart Media. I Heart Podcast Episode recap, Season one, Episode eleven.
Speaker 1: Paris is Burning and boy is she?
Speaker 3: And we have a very special guest, mister Max Medina himself, the one and only Scott Cohen is here to discuss this episode with me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so funny. Man. You watched it and you're like, holy got you sucked in that? What?
Speaker 1: What are you talking about? Your work is great? What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: That's how you feel. No, it's funny though, It's like, you know, I've really have I barely watched the show when it was on, and you know, because you didn't have like you know, Netflix back then or whatever, and you just and you moved on with shit, right, It's like, you know, so it kind of passed me by, but then when you look back on it, you're kind of surprised, like, oh, I kind of remember that scene. I remember that's I remember doing that and it's funny and I mean, I could tell you this while we're doing it, but but it was, it was, and I have to say seeing it now, so this is twenty five years on. Man, it's crazy and it's funny. It's just it's such a good show and you're just like, oh my god, it's like I can't believe, like Belly laughs, like.
Speaker 1: Oh my, it's really funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, really funny.
Speaker 1: That's my takeaway too, is.
Speaker 3: How damn funny it is, I don't know, and how smart, smartly funny.
Speaker 4: It is so smart, so smart, she's so good. You know.
Speaker 3: What really struck me about this is the narcissism of Emily Gilmour how so and how she uses her daughter, and how her daughter didn't measure up to their expectations, and it is such a disappointment to Emily all the time. Instead of like you know, adjusting her her worldview and her expectations and accepting reality, she's like Emily just lives in this world where she's just so rejecting her daughter at all times.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But what I find really interesting about that is that Lurlai is capable of not doing that to Rory, which I think is the hardest. I think a parent that is raising a child that has such a strong parent that is kind of creating this havoc in her life, you know, to kind of evade that in a certain sense, right, not in all senses, because her belliousness is really kind of what what I think kind of defines her in the same vein that that she's not. She doesn't do the same thing that that uh, that Emily does to Laurel I, that Lorelai would do to Rory.
Speaker 1: But she did do it to Rory. She slept, she got in a relationship with.
Speaker 4: You, I know, But that's different than what Emily is. Like Emily's just so she's so controlling and so things have to be this way. In this way. Laurel I just makes bad choices, right, but you know, I mean are they bad choices? I mean they're just human, like she just you know, she falls in love or she you know whatever.
Speaker 3: I you know, I saw this episode. This is the second time I've seen it, and now I'm beginning to you know, the genius of the Palladinos uh continues to unfold because episodes like this are so necessary and they aren't as you know, chalk full of humor, as you know, your your average Gilmore up right, Although it had really funny belly laps and funny moments in here. For sure, this was a deeply dramatic episode, and more so than a lot of.
Speaker 1: The episodes are.
Speaker 3: Consistently throughout so and I thought, these are the wells that the Palladinos are digging deeper and deeper and deeper. And once in a while they do this because these wells they can go back to time and time again for callbacks, and they use these wells these episodes in the dramatic storytelling, in the jokes. There's there's a million jokes that are going to come from this episode in season four, in season five, and season six. So I think these episodes are really necessary. And as much as I try to analyze it and overanalyze it and judge it, say, man, what an irresponsible thing to do, and how how can these two be so boneheaded as to, you know, think of themselves first and not Rory's welfare. Well, you know, the storytelling is, these are flawed characters, These are human beings. They they're making a mistake, they don't see the mistake. They're too in love, they're too infatuated. That's a very human thing. And man, it's going to it's going to manufacture so many great lines in the future, so many great situations in the future. And I also thought that maybe the critics didn't know what the show was in the first season, like is this a drama?
Speaker 1: Is it a comic?
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 3: Because some are heavily dramatic, some are a lot of them, and I think it operates best as a like comedy with all the Joki jokes. Maybe that was the confusion, but I think.
Speaker 4: Was it was it reviewed poorly?
Speaker 1: No, absolutely not.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just saying, by the by the by the I'm sorry, by the people that vote on awards. Oh, like ye award, you know, like the Academy.
Speaker 4: And yes, it didn't win any yes, yes, right, that's where Lauren. Lauren was nominated I think for Golden Globe or or something for the first year or something something that yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, kind of yeah.
Speaker 3: But but isn't it interesting that And I think the Palladinos just sort of they just wrote without restrictions, They just wrote whatever they want.
Speaker 1: They wrote instinctively m hm.
Speaker 3: You know, within a within a structure obviously, but they really brilliant instinctual writing. It's like they just went where the characters wanted to take them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would. I would agree with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is this is where they wanted to go. And I think this dynamic this episode is as deep and as interesting and as telling and revealing as any episode that I've seen so far, because it really shows how good it can be for her, you know, and it's just not to be, and and how she sabotages and the effects of having a mother like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they raised that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's going to cause her to sabotage things that are really great for her.
Speaker 4: Right yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I mean I I thought also that it feels like they they are capable of really kind of digging deep to find out, you know what what motivates people, uh really like not not in not in kind of a That's what I always found interesting, even just doing readings of the scripts, Like as we sat down and did the readings, like it just felt like, Wow, they really understand, you know, motivational factor as opposed to just writing something that has a plot and a dramatic factor and just kind of like moving forward in the story, like it stops for a second and you're kind of witnessing two people or three people whatever, going through something very very kind of difficult and hard, and that kind of gives us a sense of reality to it, which I think is what attracts people now as fans. I think it's like it's just a real they're they're real things that happen to people.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, right, exactly. But boy, Emily, wow, what so good?
Speaker 1: What a character?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, what a character?
Speaker 1: What a destructive?
Speaker 4: Yes, so destructive?
Speaker 1: Entertaining? I mean, aren't these people just so entertaining?
Speaker 3: Yes, character so entertaining.
Speaker 4: I found Alexis and this is that, this was what is interesting to me. I found Alexis to be so good. And I remember when we started right in the first season, and I remember she I mean I think this was her first job or something like that, right, and I remember Lauren really being her mentor, and just her following Lauren and just like not barely knowing what a mark was, right, right, and kind of just feeding off of Lauren's pace and tempo and trying to stick with that and you know, maybe struggling with it for a little bit, but totally found her way. And then I felt like, I mean, this is the second season, and this is why I felt like Wow. She was really a force, like there was something major going on there. And I said in the beginning, like, oh, you know, God, did I suck? I wish I kind of saw a little bit it more of that working with her as opposed to kind of focused on Laurel. I like, I think my focus was more on Laura I as opposed to like the idea that I'm doing these things with Alexis and and and there's really interesting things going on because she has there's a whole, there's a whole there's a whole backstory, there's all this stuff that's going on besides what's happening with me, and to really kind of be able to see that in some way, And so I felt like I kind of I felt like I missed that in a certain sense.
Speaker 3: You know, she did bring there was an effortlessness that she totally yeah, And it was uncanny. It was unlike working with anybody else because and I know it wasn't easy for her, but she sam she made.
Speaker 4: It seem easy totally yeah.
Speaker 3: And effortless and smooth right as Yeah. As Hamlet instructs his players that act, it's like she listened totally.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: To wave your hands to totally totally economical, like really really economical, and you know, her eyes said it all and she has gorgeous eyes, and you're just you know, and.
Speaker 4: Really it's funny because you know, I've worked with people over the years, and there's there are certain people that have you know, you when you're working with them, you're not really sure what's happening, and then when you see it on film, you're like that they was going on, I missed the boat. It was. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I worked with a guy like that on a film a long time ago. I could not figure out for the life of me what he was doing. Yeah, and he just kept asking so many questions that director's driving everybody crazy, and it was just like we just wanted to go, dude, will you just do it?
Speaker 1: We want to get out of here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He was adding hours on every day and then we go to the premiere and he's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's brilliant.
Speaker 3: He's like ultraspecific and right right, you know, you can really you can read his thoughts.
Speaker 4: And right right right.
Speaker 1: That was real learning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think I think Alexis had that naturally. I do too, just had this ability to exist and just be who she was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I actually think this show really kind of allowed her to do that. I mean I think that, you know, not not every show would have allowed her to just kind of be. I mean, she was playing a character that was close to her age and you know, going through very normal things as a teenager. And Lauren was you know, I mean, she's fantastic to play against. So it's like it was, I'm sure it was. It was much easier than it could have been.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about that because I I just had such I just had such a good time working with her, Lauren. Yeah, yeah, I mean just and she There were a couple of times where, you know, I remember that it was a diner scene and it was just you know, it was always quick dialogue, and so she had a word, I had a word, she had a word. I had to word, and she jumped me in one take, just jumped the line and hit it back faster, and she hit it back faster, head it back. You know, It's like, who can do that? Who can do that?
Speaker 4: Her brain was so clear, right, you know, I remember her reading a book like in her on her trailer steps and thinking to myself, Okay, she has like four monologues. It's like, when did she memorize those?
Speaker 1: Like it's not even fair, it's not even fair fair.
Speaker 4: She was, Yeah, she was just really And I knew this before I worked like I worked with her prior to this, and she was like a backboard, like she was able to absorb what you gave her and give back and so it was and it was immediate. It wasn't there was no there was no filter really like you I'm sure there was a filter, but there was no filter, and so it was so easy to her too, I think, you know, it was so easy and fluid and like a like a Lexus and phenomenally prepared. I mean, this one was constantly like you know, really and but made it like I never felt uneasy. I never felt like, you know, like I was making some kind of wrong choice or something like. She never she never made me feel that way. She made me feel She always made me feel very comfortable. And you did what she did, and that's that's what it was, and that's and you moved on from there. Yeah, there was.
Speaker 3: Her process was so interesting with her because yes, she was prepared, but she wasn't over prepared. No, you know, it was like she left open the possibility of notes from director, feedback from who she was working with that day, you know, this kind of thing. And she would sort of refine everything through the rehearsal process, and you could see her, you know, just sort of gathering all the information and making choices, and then a question would come up, and then a prop would be needed to be moved, and then there'd.
Speaker 1: Be a subtle thing, and then.
Speaker 3: You know, there was so much nuance going on and then on the first take action boom she she did.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing I really loved about her.
Speaker 3: She didn't put pressure on her herself ever to be great on the first take. She didn't care. She was gonna do it when she was ready. And I think she used those first takes as just sort of like an extended rehearsal. It's like, Okay, now I've got it, now, let's get it now. So by the second take or the third take, it was just like fully formed and it had this arc, you know, and it was just beautiful to watch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I always felt like she was somebody who very who learned very early on that like that you know you're you're not you can't judge yourself on especially being a lead of a show. You can't. You can't judge yourself on one scene. You have to just move through the day and and and the day will be cut and it, you know, and and just be as as as natural as you can be, just be as presents as you can be. And I always felt like that's how she was very present. And you know, for guest stars, it's miserable. It's like, you know, it's you know, you're, you're you always feel like you're you're to blame if something goes wrong, and and and you're you're you're a nervous wreck because you feel like, oh, I got to get this ship right, because you know they're already talking about how long the day is going to be, right, so if you if you extend it just a minute, you're like, everybody's like, oh god, here he goes. It's like this work.
Speaker 3: How do you think you would have reacted having that kind of schedule, like being in every single scene every single day. I don't know if I could have done it.
Speaker 4: I did two shows where I was almost in every scene really, and I remember always thinking I have to be like Lauren Graham I really, I can't throw a tizzy fit. I have to be very like everybody's you know, everybody's here for me basically, and I have to make sure that I'm okay, I'm I don't blame anybody I And but I think that what I didn't have, which I wish a little bit more like what she is, that is this ability to let go right, which I think I think she had a great ability to let go. And I think I was more always kind of like, you know, I wish I did it this way. I wish I did this, you know, like that kind of thing. And so that's that's less uh, you know, you're just you're that's judging yourself and so it's like it's a terrible place to be. But I think in terms of scheduling and and being I mean, I think now I would probably be like, I'm so tired, I can't do this. It's like, you know, because but I mean I think around that time, it was I had so much energy to kind of be on set all the time. I really didn't care. But I never had monologues like she would have. Like she she had she had work. I mean, she had eighty pages to memorize and you know, I mean it was way too much. Man, A lot people do it. Yeah, that was a lot man. But she was great, you know, so fun to work with. Wish I could work. I wish we'd met up again sometime.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I really miss working. I'm miss working with everybody. That was a very very special cast. That was a very unique cast. I thought everybody was just so.
Speaker 4: Great and what watching uh Melissa McCarthy watching her was like, oh my god, she you know, how how how she's developed into this like you know, uh, she's so cute and so sweet and so and how she's how she's kind of found her way into like just being raunchy and and I mean she's still cute and sweet and has all that.
Speaker 3: But well, we saw like the first season she was in Groundlings, right, and that's how we know her. She's so sweet and she's so funny and she's so great and uh so she invited everybody to come see her, Oh okay, uh at the Groundlings and we're like, oh, I didn't know she was at the Groundlings.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Groundlings is a comedy troupe in La where they I mean, I'm telling the if those of you who don't know Groundlings is like, what is it second city or second Stage in Chicago or there's a second city in Canada, I think. And all of the great SNL and comedy stars are coming out of these programs. You know, so many and a lot coming out of the Groundlings.
Speaker 1: In LA and.
Speaker 3: They they train you to you know, it's comedy, it's improv it's writing your own characters, is performing those characters, so they're really developing. You know, Melissa was developing her skills as a writer, as a producer, as a director, and a performer of all these different types of characters. And we went to see her and we were flowed. We couldn't believe how many different characters she played and played them so well, and she wrote everything and she I mean, we were our stomach's heart at the end of the night. We couldn't stop laughing.
Speaker 4: Was there anything that was like that that she that she had, like that that she did in movies later on.
Speaker 3: Like kind of versions, Yeah, you know, there was like she came out and did a she was rapping and she had all this attitude and it was just it was just so funny that she was so dynamic and so great, and was like, wow, is she talented?
Speaker 4: Was she with her husband at that time? Or no?
Speaker 3: Uh no, no, no, not at that time.
Speaker 4: Are you friends with her still?
Speaker 3: She has a house out near me and I run into her every once in a while.
Speaker 1: But she's all over the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's always on set, she's always on location.
Speaker 1: She's all over the world.
Speaker 3: And then when she's not all over the world, she has to go back.
Speaker 1: To promote the films to premieres.
Speaker 3: And honest, she's extraordinarily busy.
Speaker 1: But I knew right away that.
Speaker 3: I thought to myself, if anybody's going to break out, it's going to be her because she has the she has such a broad range of comedy and drama in her and the ability to write these characters for herself.
Speaker 1: I mean that is I mean that is.
Speaker 4: Was Was she on it for all seven seasons?
Speaker 1: Oh? Sure? Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: She ends up with Jackson, yes.
Speaker 3: And they this is their first time that they.
Speaker 4: Which was so good.
Speaker 3: Because of his reaction was okay, and then he just leaves.
Speaker 4: I loved her, she was so good. Oh my god, y yeah.
Speaker 3: But I miss them all too. It was so great to go to work and knowing that you were going to be like, you were going to have to give your best to get by with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel that way to.
Speaker 3: A game every day, because if you slipped a little bit, if you weren't feeling it, you were going to get.
Speaker 1: Buried over there.
Speaker 4: I completely agree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, it was just such a great place to work. Really miss it. All right, So what do you think about all this? What kind of reactions do you get out there in the public when you're traveling.
Speaker 4: Or Oh it's crazy, man, are you kidding me? It's nuts?
Speaker 1: Tell me about that.
Speaker 3: Because you're you're a kind of a beloved character. People really like MAXI meidee.
Speaker 4: Well you there's Team Max, and there's you know, there's Team Luke, and there's Team I don't know other teams, and there's some Team Chris maybe and some people some people love you, some people despise you. Some people say things like, you know, thank god you never Laura, I didn't pick you. You were so wrong for her. Some say which is like okay, well, some say, you know, oh she's made such a mistake. Oh my god, you were the best. We're so team Max. And this is like I would say, I get ten to fifteen kind of like you know, Instagram messages some kind of thing every day, and people are very they they this show is massive and it has it is global. It's massive and it's and it's people have very very strong opinions about what what and and things that they remember, things that they you know, the details that they remember. The book. I mean, I had I watched this episode and it was all about and it was all about On's Way, and I'm like, I totally did not remember that there was this book involved. I gave it to Laura LII. She was supposed to read it. She never read it. She read the first one pages, you know, and I'm thinking to myself, I read that book. It's like, you know, and so that was it was really but this is what people that's the kind of reaction to get. It's a very intense love of the show and love of of every character that's in it. There's not a single character that doesn't get some attention. You know. It's it's, it's, it's, it's and and being recognized. I'm sure you get recognized all the time. It's like I mean, and you just feel like wow, I mean, in the weirdest places, are you I'm just sorry, but are you Max Medina, I'm like, yeah, I mean, and it happens all the time, you know, it's and I mean, thank god for Netflix. It's like, uh it, keep your relevant.
Speaker 3: Let's talk a little bit about Paris, because she was really she was featured prominently in this episode. We get to know a little bit about her backstory, parents going through ugly, nasty divorce and it's affecting her already.
Speaker 1: A dark, dark.
Speaker 3: Mood, and she's taking it out on our kid Rory here.
Speaker 1: And it's not particularly nice.
Speaker 4: That the scene, the last scene with her where where Rory's like, you know, why are you doing this? It's like you know, you know and all that. I actually thought that was one of the most brilliant scenes I've ever that that and it almost on for an entire episode, Like I was so interested in both of their characters and what they're going to say to each other, how they weren't going to give up, you know what they you know, but I'm here if you need me. Well I'm okay, but I'm not going to need you, you know, but I'm here if you need me, but well, you know, but I'm not I'm not going to need you, and it was just it was absolutely brilliant and uh, Lisa, Liza, Liza was. I knew then she was going to be great. I totally thought that she was. She was solid, she was you know, she she paid attention, she was strong, she was you know, there's something interesting going on with her. And what a great character. What a great great villain that turns into not a villain that you know, you you don't want to root for, but then you have to root for, you know, uh mean girls turned nice girl turned mean girl. I mean really incredibly uh laid out I think for us. So yeah, great writing, such great writing, and such a great uh such a great opposite for Rory. I mean, you know, great obstacle for for for a character like Rory to deal with and have to you know, I mean, how difficult is it to stand up to somebody like that's actually what that that scene when she stands up to her Paris and and says, you know, why are you doing this? I feel like, wow, that's like you don't you don't know what the result of that's going to be. That could be you know, you know what you know to you that could be you know, walk away that could be you know, don't don't ever talk to me again. That could be anything, right, but it's not, and she takes the risk. I thought that was incredible and incredible writing.
Speaker 3: And even maybe even more incredible is yeah, because you want to sew, loathe and despise Paris, but you can't anymore.
Speaker 4: You can't. No, not no, totally right. Scene with the mother is she's really what No, the scene with the mothers did it? I mean the scene with the I don't know who that was, but she was amazing. Actually, she was so cutthroat, like just disgusting human being. I mean, you know, you don't want to grow up with a mother like that. And I don't know if you saw what was the film last year with Paul Giamatti. He was nominated for an Oscar.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't say it, but I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, similar like that, because all the parents are like they all walk away from their kids. They're like nobody really pays attention. Yeah. I thought that was so good. And she's she's really good. She's really really good. That's the other thing I thought that was so amazing about the show was that they're and I mean not that I watch a lot of these shows with they're young people and older people, which you don't have actually a lot of shows that you have where you see an older generation and a younger generation, like you see every generation in this in this show, which I think is that's what's so beautiful about it, or one of the things that's so beautiful about is that they didn't like you know, which was very similar to Mazel too. Mazel had that too, so there wasn't there wasn't you know, everybody has, everybody's flawed, everybody has problems. Everybody has, like you know, things that that they need to deal with. But this, I think, you know, one of the beautiful things about it is just that that we were able to see these, you know, an entire generation that we really know nothing about and having to deal with problems that they deal with. So it's it's almost like you have you have Gossip Girl and you have you know, it's everything combined in that. So that's it's so good.
Speaker 3: And also one of the I agree that was a great scene. That was one of the great scenes. And then and then it's followed by another great scene where Laurel I and Rory end up in the stairwell. Rory's trying to get away from her and they have that and they have it out over you know, what are you doing.
Speaker 1: To my life?
Speaker 3: Mom? My reputation is destroyed here now you're kissing Max Medina, You're kissing my teacher at parents' day? What are you thinking about? What are you doing to me?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: And it's like, wake the f upe, Why why am I here at this place?
Speaker 1: This this this revered.
Speaker 3: School and you're coming in and what are you doing?
Speaker 4: Mom?
Speaker 3: And I just thought that that scene was handled so deathly and so there was so much desperation and so much angst and so much I mean, it was so fraught with like this relationship could not I don't know about end at any moment, but this is this is really testing their bond here.
Speaker 4: I mean it's I completely agree, Yeah, totally, I completely agree. I I you know, it's again, I think the ability for the character of Rory to stand up to whoever she needs to be standing up to was quite remarkable that they that they chose to play her out like that. This question comes up a lot actually with fans and things like that, like the idea of what what Max and Lorli did together to jeopardize her Rory's relationships in school, with school, all that kind of stuff, and also jeopardizing their own status in in in in the town that they're living in at Chilton, all that kind of stuff that, you know, I question whether or not that that feeling would be what would happen if Rory didn't stand up to her mother and say, what do you you know? This is so wrong? Like I'm not sure, Like I think that people would have seen it as a romantic tryst, and people would have seen it as kind of like a you know, ooh, like oh, I can't believe they're doing that, as opposed to having an opinion about it, which I think is actually brilliant writing. I think it's like to be able to you're asking people to both understand that characters are flawed, but also to take to have judgment about them because they do something that hurts people, and so that those two things have to play with each other as opposed to one or the other, which I think is quite that that also, I think is brilliant, But I do question whether or not, like you know, people would think that way if Rory wasn't so affected by it, like I wonder if, like you know, it's just a question. It's not saying that it is or it isn't, but.
Speaker 3: As a palatinos messing it up, for setting up perfect situations or flawed situations, messing them up even further and then fixing it or watching people trying to clean up the mess, right right, all the forgiveness and stuff. And then we have Suki and Jackson. They're gonna with a really charming scene, very charming scene that you know, that scene right, that scene gives you hope. It's like if you if you have any kind of feelings about the episode of these characters and how you know, maybe morally or ethically compromise they are, you know, you get this this purity with with Suki and Jackson. It's like, oh, we're gonna end it with this. They're gonna give us this. So now we kind of feel like, you know, we showered a little bit. It was around.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, totally that I actually I felt the same way. Actually I felt like I felt like I I felt like I deserved the laugh. Like I've been through so much. It's like, you know, I can I need to I need to end with some kind of like, you know.
Speaker 1: You give us some fresh air.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, and it's not expected, right, and there's there's Melissa on your screen smiling and being great, and you're like, ah, exactly what I needed. You know, I've been through a really rough day. I need a I need a drink.
Speaker 1: There it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wasn't quite sure what he was trying to sell, Like, I wasn't like what he was trying to get her to make. I was like, what what is that? Ve Like, what is he talking about?
Speaker 1: Like some hybrid thing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was confusing to me.
Speaker 1: It was like a what was it a like an egg plant or something, an egg plant with a something else.
Speaker 4: I don't know, all right, It's like it looked like a flower or something like that.
Speaker 3: It was weird, right, Oh the very last thing, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like a pumpkin or somebody. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It was waving it at her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't know what it was either.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what what she always gets? That's what she always orders, so in the last bit, so I wasn't I wasn't sure what that was either. So it was, uh, yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think it was that important.
Speaker 4: The fans would know, they would know exactly, they.
Speaker 3: Would definitely know, and they will chime in, Yeah, well, I just think you know an important episode, and uh, you know it's the first season, right, it's episode what.
Speaker 4: Eleven is the first season? Second season?
Speaker 1: It was first season.
Speaker 3: So now we're we're halfway, we're almost now we did twenty four the first year, so we're almost halfway through the first season. And by this time, you know, the fans are hooked, right, they love it, They're so curious about what's going to happen, and then they get this this very powerful episode. I mean just really you know, everybody punching above their weight throughout the entire thing, and it really really solidifies Max as you know, a serious contender for for loralized affections.
Speaker 4: How did you feel like kind of were you aware of how Luke was going to kind of play out? And oh no, And well, how did you feel like, uh, you know, being in an episode where it's like you're not quite certain like what your you know, were you clear on what your your your purpose was and I mean or did you feel like that kind of came later or did you like what what was discussed with you I'm curious.
Speaker 1: Nothing no, nothing discussed.
Speaker 3: It's like, come to work, hope your parking space is still there.
Speaker 1: You just keep hoping for the best guy. You know, really you still have a job now.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: We always felt fairly secure because you know, the diner is pretty much a central hub. You know, it established itself as as one of the two central hubs of of.
Speaker 1: That show, right.
Speaker 3: You know, we kind of felt that way with a pilot too, because I was just a guest star in the pilot. I wasn't a series regular yet, and but we were hopeful because the pilot episodes began with the diner and ended with the diners with oh, well this is going to be a location. This will be an established regular every episode location. So maybe you got a shot here, you know, this kind of thing. But I mean the way that your storyline was going, Yeah, it made me a little nervous, I thought, because you guys were so good together, and you know, I was like, boy, I don't know what's going to happen. I may you know, maybe maybe you take over the diner somehow, you know, put some books in there. Now it's called you know, Max's Place or something or Max's spoon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was never you know, becoming a regular was never ever, ever, ever, ever ever discussed. I mean, that was never never a conversation. There was there, there was conversations. I remember. I think I was doing a pilot and then I was on the Warner Brothers lot and I think it was season five or season not even season seven, because they were out right they were gone, so it must have been season five where Dan was like, we're bringing you back, We're going to bring you back, and I was like, okay, great, and then that never happened. But besides that, it was never never a conversation.
Speaker 3: Did you do my mice maisl.
Speaker 4: I did one episode?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Okay, did you do the new one? Did you do any of the new one? Because they're doing a new one about ballet?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, it didn't do any Okay, all right, Well, look, Scott, that brings us to the end of our our little breakdown. Great catching up with you anything you're doing now you want to talk about.
Speaker 4: I have a movie coming out called Mooch in March.
Speaker 3: Okay, mooch in March, mooch in March, and uh, who's in it besides yourself?
Speaker 4: Uh? Louis can't sell me. You might know from uh what was the Scorsese the big movie last year about the os Age.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, yeah, he was in that.
Speaker 4: He's in a lot of like Scorsesees stuff. Uh, a couple of other people that you would know, But off the top of my head, I'm actually forgetting at the moment.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, So Mooch in March with Scott Cohen. What kind of a character do you play?
Speaker 4: I played like a mob boss.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's really.
Speaker 4: Fun, really fun. That's really really really fun.
Speaker 1: That's great. All right, I'm gonna check it out.
Speaker 3: Everybody check it out, Scott Colin Mooch and March.
Speaker 1: Thanks for coming by the great Max Medina.
Speaker 4: Yeah there he is.
Speaker 1: Take care, Scott. Nice talking to you again.
Speaker 4: San Scott. Talk to you soon.
Speaker 3: Hey, everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.