Speaker 1: Welcome to Wired to Hunt's rutfresh Radio, bringing you the latest reports from the Whitetail Woods, presented by First Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light Go farther, stay longer, and now your hosts Casey Smith and Tyler Jones.
Speaker 2: This week on rutfresh, we have hunters spanning the country talking about how cooler tempts might have affected the hunting. Things can change quickly and dramatically in September, and hunters should adapt quickly to observed patterns. This is rutfresh. Let's go. Welcome to rut fresh Radio. I'm your host, Tyler Jones and Casey Smith is on the other end of the line. This is brought to you by First flight Gear and Casey, I've been wearing a little bit of that First flight Gear tray stuff in the last on the last hunt. If the mosquitoes aren't too bad, that stuff is nice. It drives out quickly and it keeps you really cool. I like it, especially the bad they were bad. I'll tell you that we definitely needed a little extra, which I think if we were wearing Marino up there in Notak, we still would have been getting smoked, you know, so I had.
Speaker 3: To wear he takes a little chemical or you know, something like that, keep the mosquitos off.
Speaker 4: You can't just rely on the layering. Yeah at all times. Yeah, thankfully a few cool tempts.
Speaker 3: Have pushed in, uh, and we might be looking at the end or at least reprieve from intense mosquitos and parts of the country. Yeah, you know, things are changing a little bit right now, man, I kind of like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, Man, here in Texas we've changed back into the hot side of things. Yeah, sure enough.
Speaker 3: If I was looking at the one week and we have like real summer tempts coming up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like ninety six or something like that, I think, yeah, ridiculous. So yeah, Casey, why are you on the other end of the line and not with me?
Speaker 3: Man, I'm only like four miles from here right now. But yesterday more than real early, my wife had our child. So I'm at home with her, caring to her and the baby. So that's kind of why I'm absent, in a little bit out of touch with what's going on, because you know, my sleep schedule is more messed up than a runt and buck, right, now, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but is it is.
Speaker 4: It's a huge blessing. Man, everybody's healthy.
Speaker 2: Indura, that's cool, man, congrats on that. Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: You know this this you know stress as you are right now. Watch this. This is a stressful time of year for some of the deer in the south especially, and I can I can speak to our neck of the woods quite a bit. You know, in other places in North America, a lot of other places that the white tailed deer RNG spans through the winter is you know, that's the most stressful period for a deer where it's not a lot of the food in the landscape. They're eating twigs and whatever else, and there's snow build up sometimes and it's cold and they're run down from the rut and this and this and this right, but that doesn't really happen so much in our neck of the woods. I mean, if it snows here during the annual period, we throw a party. Like it doesn't happen every year, you know. So if we see it snowool, the kids get us cool. Yeah. Oh it's raining and it's supposed to get thirty tonight, you know, like we're probably gonna miss school. Tomorrow morning. But you know, for us, the most stressful period is pretty much right now. We're we're on the back end of that period where again we're getting some hot temps. This week, we've had some very hot temps and we've had a long dry period and it's been I mean, you can look out right now outside it just looks hot and crisp, be all those forbes and broad leaves of different sorts, and some of the things that these deer wood would brows are really dry. I mean they're almost yellow looking, and there's not a whole lot of probably nutrition and probably not very they're probably not very palatable right now. So you know, the deer are kind of in a period of transition between having stuff that's growing and then having achorns to eat. And that's kind of this period where a lot of the stuff that's growing on the landscape has slowed down tremendously. It's starting to die out because of the lack of moisture and the heat that we've seen. And it happens most of the time in August and carries on in through September and October sometimes where we don't even see cold temps or cool temps at all, hardly till November sometimes so, but we'll see acorns start dropping here really soon, I would imagine, don't you think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know around our parts. It's weird because a schue mart which is a red oak acorn, those will drop early sometimes depends on the tree, so that'll be some of the first ones. Sometimes it's even before archery season that you see those dropping. We're still, you know, probably two weeks out from the early ones on that. You know, we'll have percimmons in between that. In fact, my persimons are already dropping, but I think, yeah I have because of my.
Speaker 4: Real sandy soil.
Speaker 3: I think my pershimons act different than other percentage and so like I don't know what yours are doing. I know you got that one good tree, you probably saw it today, But other percentmons around are still barely pink, and mine are they're translucent and ready to eat a lot of them are. Yeah, So the deer already hitting those, and that kind of helps a little bit with the the you know, scarce to get food.
Speaker 4: Muskey dines are also dropping right now, so that helps a little bit.
Speaker 3: But again not like we're talking about almost like the treats to the deer and not like a through food source, you know. So it's still there's not a lot of tonnage out there for deer, and so it's really tough.
Speaker 6: And in fact, one of the things that I think a you know, a person who's being mindful about their deer management, if they have a little proper dear, a big property or whatever.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 3: Trying to supplement during this rough period, not just because but of course to take care of the deer herd as they go through this difficult time. But there's a thing going on right now that I think is pretty neat and it really doesn't usually correlate to killing deer, but it can. And that is like the redistribution of bucks after they shed their velvet. You know, I'd say that just a guess ninety five percent of the deer in ie area and probably around the country if shed velvet already. And if you see a buck with velvet on even right now, he's allowed to be small, you know, like a one point five.
Speaker 4: And what ends up happening after the shed development.
Speaker 3: They get a testosterone spike and probably some other factors as well. Bucks will kind of move to a new core area. I don't know if that's the right way to call it or not, but I'm gonna call it that way. They start using a different area sometimes sometimes they'll go a long ways. And one thing that you can do is make sure that your area that you have to hunt has adequate resources during the shift, because it almost might be the lottery right now where you haven't had a buck on your property all year, and all of a sudden one comes through looking for a place and while I he's got food, water, and cover on your property, and it's like, man, this is the best habit head around or this is the best food around or water or whatever it may be. So it's something to not that it's gonna work, but it's always good to kind of maybe, you know, kind of corner of the edge on which you could have right now, and it definitely could.
Speaker 4: Be a thing that could be benefits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. You know, I've I've seen I haven't seen any books redistribute to my area, but I have seen where kind of proof of what we were talking about earlier, where you know, I have a feeder that goes off year round pretty much, and that feeder has the last this morning, it had eight dose at it at one time.
Speaker 4: I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the night before there was twelve in one picture, man, and there might have been another one or two outside of the frame of the picture.
Speaker 3: Sonny.
Speaker 4: I was like, is that a heard of axis?
Speaker 3: Just because you know, usually whitetail aren't packed in that did sleep.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're hungry.
Speaker 2: Don't tell Greg, you know what I mean? Yeah, they were shoot access that's small, you know, and you just never know anyway. It's just it's just interesting to see that you're seeing that these deer feel like they need some food, you know what I mean. And so I have I also have a syrup tube back there that has uh it's usually just refills with rain water, you know. I don't have to fill it up hardly ever, I don't. I don't think I've ever filled it up since I put it out there, and uh, I've had I had to fill it up today. I filled it up this uh uh late this morning, uh because they had no water in it hasn't for a while. And I thought, you know what if I can give them dose some water because I put a five gallon bucket up here by my pear tree a little bit closer to the to the road, and uh, there were doos that were drinking out of it immediately, like I saw them, you know, and I thought that was cool. So I wanted to make sure and give them, give them what they need, give them through this period. And if I can keep those doughs around, like if they like what they they got here and they're eating enough and they're drinking enough, they don't have to go places. That could be good once we get closer to the rut and that that further redistribution of bucks, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, man.
Speaker 3: I mean if you can keep the honeies around, the boys will show up and that would be real cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would be. It would be. Uh it used to be, you know, but these days it's like a war zone going around my property. So I don't know, but that's the show.
Speaker 3: Well, would you talk just some folks this.
Speaker 4: Week about, uh, you know, what's going around the country.
Speaker 2: I sure did you know? We we talked a little bit about the drought with Jeff Lindsay from The Lindsay Way. He's out in Kentucky and there's a there's a major drought going on in the in that Midwest area out there, from what I understand, right, from what I've heard. Uh, we talked to Gary Greenwalk. He was out in Washington, which is where he's from, and he shot a monster. Cameron Cushman in Montana has been hunting a little bed. And then justin Henry, who we heard from last year. He hunts down there in the weird part of Florida where the rut is starting to happen in certain places and has been have to be.
Speaker 4: More specific about the weird part of Florida.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there a Florida man.
Speaker 2: Florida man's down there. You know what I mean. You gotta watch out, you gotta watch out. So anyway, we'll hear from those guys right now. All right, I've got Jeff Lindsay here from the Lindsay Way. He's been out in Kentucky and had some pretty pretty good looking pictures to show for it. Jeff, what's going on? Man?
Speaker 5: Not much?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 5: How you guys doing?
Speaker 2: Oh doing doing great? Man doing great?
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Case actually had a kid last night, so he was unable to be here for this one. But uh, you know that'll get in the way, Yeah, for sure, will it'll uh, it'll make you grass to him. Yeah, well I will. I will thank you that for that. Man. Congrats to you on that big old Bucky shot. Man.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Man, you know, like they say, I'd rather be lucky and good.
Speaker 5: I got lucky.
Speaker 4: Uh the day four, you know, we were.
Speaker 5: Hunting five days.
Speaker 4: I had a hard stop.
Speaker 5: I had to leave it day five. So it worked out.
Speaker 8: Man, dear, he came in and uh, you know, gave us a good shot and my shot went in my favor and uh he didn't run twenty thirty yards and tipped over.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I love it when they drop in sight. Man, it's a good feeling.
Speaker 5: And yeah, yes it is. Man.
Speaker 4: Don't get that feeling enough unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So so I guess what were you What were you doing the first few days? Did anything change from the first few days to that fourth day when you're able to connect?
Speaker 4: Yeah. They had opening weekend.
Speaker 8: Kentucky had exceptional weather. I think most of Kentucky that I know, northern Kentucky did. Like the first Saturday and Sunday day opener. It was like low of forty two those nights, and I just don't They said they can't ever really remember it, you know, really lining up dead center like that for opening weekend, and so I kind of shifted some things around and got there in time Sunday to hunt, and I was hunting a big ten, about one hundred and sixty inch ten, and they kind of.
Speaker 4: Been sending me pictures, said this deer you're gonna concentrate on.
Speaker 8: And then this giant seven pointer comes out that first evening and he's extremely tempting.
Speaker 4: I love those big management type deer.
Speaker 8: But I think he was only four, even though his body was huge, could have been five, probably four.
Speaker 4: We ended up seeing him the next three days. The second day we seen.
Speaker 8: The ten, we were after we also seen an old ten, just an ancient deer that I was pretty tempted on, but they wanted me to wait on that other ten, and he came out ten minutes after dark. They were all always together. But it's just a funky time of year because you know, Kentucky started always the first Saturday. I think that's what it does, but this year it was later because it was the on the seventh Saturday was the longest it could be as far as the opener there, and once those deers start shedding velvet, it's just a it's a different times the transition, they.
Speaker 4: Go, they come, you know, you don't know what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of what was going on.
Speaker 8: So we pulled off that deer after day three and you know Kentucky's debate state it was super dry there, so most of their clover's brown the corner was already browned up when it wasn't supposed to be. So they had been, you know, just putting protein and on the ground instead of you know, feeding corn. So that third day I went to tracks fly and I got my hand on some big time you know, I'm not a big you know, grab the corn pile up and put it out, but that's kind of what we were kind of limited to there because it was right and uh that was the magic sauce that that fourth day, that deer came in and came in a little bit down when we got lucky and uh, he kind of came up there to the feed. He never ate, he spoofed, He kind of stayed in clover bumped back out and.
Speaker 4: I shot him about it was probably thirty thirty five yards.
Speaker 8: I didn't even have time to range him, and you know, just angle it went in and he clipped.
Speaker 4: His order and uh it clipped the back of his lungs and that sucker just he was dead in five seconds.
Speaker 2: Oh that's awesome, dude. Yeah, you know that. The thing that some people that aren't from bait states failed to understand sometimes is that some of those older deer there, I mean, they'll eat there, right, but they're, uh, they're very wary around those things. And yeah, it's hard, I mean honestly, like you're gonna get a lot of string jump around those bait piles and stuff too. I mean, making good shots, there's a whole lot of different it's a whole lot of different variables than what you normally deal with sometimes, you know.
Speaker 4: So absolutely that's what happened on me. That's the reason I got so lucky on.
Speaker 8: That shot because he going right into it. But yeah, their neighbors, you know, they feed like crazy. They got neighbors all around them.
Speaker 5: And uh, you know, so that's just what you're dealing with out up there.
Speaker 8: If you if you don't do it, do you, you ain't them deer ain't gonna be on your profit.
Speaker 2: That's just yeah. And you know, I'm from Texas, so we had the same thing going on down here, you know, and uh, that's I mean, it's just that's kind of the way it is, which I can't even grow the food plots here hardly because it's just sandy soil and real dry, you know and hot. And so I mean that's that's you know, that is a good thing this time of year for bait, which Texas isn't open yet, but they're I mean, I got deer hitting my feet are like crazy right now because this is this is actually our stress period right the for the Northern States, that stress period is January February, you know, sometimes March, but like up down here it's August in September, you know, where it's just dry.
Speaker 4: I don't look at it like that. That's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So they're they're hitting it hard right now. We just can't shoot them here. But uh, apparently Kentucky the bait will work now in the first then the next week or so, is it gonna Is it gonna warm up? I know it's warming up here in Texas, it is, it's warming up.
Speaker 4: But I think they like it.
Speaker 8: You know, they love those first four or five days of September before they start shedding. Then after that, you know that that fifth through the fifteenth or something. They just say it's a weird time. Now it's a little more consistency. If the deer start to get on the feed or a certain field, bean field, you know, cloverfield, whatever, they like, consistency. You know, the cold fronts to me are not that big of a deal this time of year, or the cool fronts at least, we didn't see that there.
Speaker 5: It's almost like.
Speaker 4: When it was cold, you know, they didn't know what them deer didn't know what to do.
Speaker 8: Sure, yeah, I think any little favor, you know, you can get in the weather as long as it's not too extreme. But I think this next week or so, if you can, it's going to be fairly consistent.
Speaker 4: You just got to watch them early season wins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt. Man. Well, Jeff, I appreciate. I got one more question for you. On a scale of one to ten, and the next week, what do you think that buck movement will be like in Kentucky?
Speaker 8: You know, I think looking at the forecast, it's gonna be I'd probably say seven and a half, somewhere between really good and somewhere between mid.
Speaker 4: I think it's gonna be pretty good. I like this consistent time up there.
Speaker 8: That's when I had a heck of a hunt up there last year, seeing a lot of mature deer.
Speaker 5: Out of velvet.
Speaker 8: So it's just up there, man, you got to play that win. It is some crazy swirling wins.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, Well, I appreciate the report, and I'll be talking to you soon.
Speaker 4: All right, buddy, thanks a lot.
Speaker 2: All right. This is Gary Greenwalt of Washington. He's been out hunting a little bit this early season. Gary, what's going on, man?
Speaker 4: Oh found a little success last night.
Speaker 2: I'd say a pen of success, you know, yeah, probably, so that's a big deer. So Gary shot a deer. What did that thing score?
Speaker 9: He he taped out one seventy nine and an eighth gross green score.
Speaker 5: So measuring twice make sure it didn't screw it up.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, dude. Well, congrats on it.
Speaker 5: Thanks appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So so, uh what was key and getting this done? Man?
Speaker 9: The key with this guy was just figuring out his home territory he this year is this deer was around before I left for a last or guests. He's probably about eleven and a half years old, and a couple of other dudes I know, the hunting, they just never really figured out where he lived.
Speaker 5: He was alway.
Speaker 9: They'd always hunt him on the outskirts, you know, where he'd run out to during the rut, and then he just disappear on him. Yeah, it turns out that's he was living on on on our property where they couldn't hunt. So and I managed to figure that out this year. Why better half and I were going out to set cams and we wound up jumping him on the south end of our property, and I just knew it was a big deer.
Speaker 5: At the time, I didn't know it was this particular.
Speaker 9: Deer, but he had a he had a kicker off that one time that was pretty recognizable. I saw that when he ran off, So it made it kind of easy to keep track of him when he showed up on camera. So, you know, set up some cameras had him coming into a little little feed spot before he'd go out into the fields at night. But he'd he disappeared like two weeks before seasons mm hmm. And then with the CWD stuff, the bait, the state shut down our baiting, so you know, all feed stuff had to stop. Unfortunately, you know, it's only a few units, but you know, it is what it is.
Speaker 5: Well, we'll fight him on it. But that's a that's a whole nother story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did they did they shut down agg production too, since the deer eating the corn fields and stuff.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I know that, you know, shut and tell the deer they can't scrape, and you know they.
Speaker 5: Can't be on each other staff.
Speaker 9: It's like, you know, you can't go to.
Speaker 5: That apple tree either. Yeah, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's so the deer disappeared for a little while and then showed.
Speaker 5: Back disappeared, and uh, and I kind of.
Speaker 9: Started thinking about It's like, you know, it's like I just thought, this deer's got to be on hours. Nobody else has been able to pin him down, and I kind of.
Speaker 5: Had it hunt.
Speaker 9: He probably moved into kind of a core area that another big buck got caught, got shot out of last year. So I moved some cams around, and first morning I got him coming back up, and he showed back up again the next evening and I'm like, s all.
Speaker 5: Right, let's go time.
Speaker 9: So I just went in, threw in a tree saddle, set up, and climbed.
Speaker 5: I actually was gonna hunt this morning. For him.
Speaker 9: I wasn't gonna actually hunt last night because the weather was it was ripping, windy and nasty, and we just had an inch of rain, and I'm like, yeah, I'll just climb in, you know, the wind's fine, and I'll just sit for.
Speaker 5: The evening, ride it out. And man, the deer wound up moving way early.
Speaker 9: I had two other bucks come kind of feed down the timberline past me, and this guy came in. And long story short, I mean he came in from completely the wrong direction and actually all the scent control stuff I do paid off because he walked right through my sense stream, never picked me up, and gave me a thirty yard shot.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 3: So so this deard moved on you, and you know you said it was so you think he kind of came into a place where another duere vacated. What was he spending most of his summers eating out there in that spot?
Speaker 9: So in the early part of the spring, you know that they're they're getting all the new crops coming up. You know that they're still eating winter wheat, the lenls are going to be popping up.
Speaker 5: Maybe guys got oats. There's lots and lots of natural brows.
Speaker 9: That time of year, and then as the brows starts to dry up, they're real heavy on the agriculture stuff, and you know a few alfalfa fields and patches here and there.
Speaker 4: Right now.
Speaker 5: He was actually the patch they were in.
Speaker 9: I was kind of on the edge of a staging area that's got service berries, and they were seem to be feeding on those, and there's something else there munched on them.
Speaker 5: They just couldn't make out.
Speaker 9: I don't know if they're kind of picking some snowberries or another little urban for some sort down down close to the ground. And then I have a feeling that those bigger bucks that they weren't even going out the agfield at this point, just as everything's harvested. I think they're just hanging up higher on the mountain, or if they were going out there, it's.
Speaker 3: Way late at night.
Speaker 5: You know, they're not getting down to a couple hours after dark.
Speaker 2: So being closer to kind of where they really are core areas and their bedding and all the guys, Yeah.
Speaker 9: I got way close to this core area, and you know, there's probably a little bit of luck finding that that. I mean, I've got I've hunted that place for four decades, so I mean, I know what the deer are doing.
Speaker 5: But but you know.
Speaker 9: Falling into the setup just right and having the plan come together, you know, that was pretty pretty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's awesome, dude. Well, you know, as we look forward to the next week, I know this is a great week for you, but for people who might be going out next week based on whether moon patterns or you know, whatever you might see, what do you think buck movement will be like? If you had to guess in on a scale of one to ten, you know, one.
Speaker 9: To ten out here, I'd say you're probably going to start dropping off to three, four or five here pretty soon, because at least at least out here where we're at mid September and rolling into October, things can really start to drop off, you know if they're especially if you're in these overlap season is where there's elk hunters and bear hunters and they get bumped around the big bucks, will you know, they'll shut down and then they'll just still just go nocturnal, you know, which is probably one advantage I have having my own place to hunt. You know, they weren't pressured, sure, because really for me man catching a buck that size out in the Daylight's not a real common thing once that first week September passes for sure.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: Well, that's awesome. Congrats on the deer, and thanks for hopping on the phone with us.
Speaker 5: All right, man, I appreciate it.
Speaker 10: Guys, you have a good one.
Speaker 2: I've got Cameron Cushman on the phone here. He's been out in Montana hunting deer. Cameron, what's it like out there? Man?
Speaker 11: Man, we've kind of had a you know, we're coming up on kind of coming into week two of our tree season. Weather, it's kind of been you know, we're kind of in that period in western Montana where we still have some ninety degree days, but then we're also getting these colder cold fronts that are coming through, and so kind of saw our first big cold front come through about four days ago, and so kind of kind of seeing a lot more deer moving around as the weather is cooling off. And I live in two seventy, which is like trophy once in a lifetime mule deer, and so I see them kind of running all around, you know, my area and between the Muley's And then we got a bunch of white tail, definitely a lot of activity. Kind of still seeing some bachelor groups, but I'm definitely starting to see some some you know bucks pushing does.
Speaker 2: Now sure, so they're already kind of king kicking around dose and what are the tempts like when when you see in those cold fronts right now?
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 11: So we're kind of entering a it looks like we're entering a really nice I wouldn't call it cold front, but temperatures are dropping definitely next week, I think the highs like seventy and so we're coming off of like a lot of ninety degree days and so those low temperatures which we were seeing, you know, mid fifties, are now we're getting down into the upper thirties, low forties. I was in the woods the other day and I had three does come in on me, and then followed by a button buck and then a young probably three year old white tail, and I watched both the button and that three year old mount two of the does, and so I'm pretty surprised to see that this early in the you know, in the year, but again relatively new to the Montana scene, so it could have been that, you know, that big shift in temperature coming off of such extreme highs, but definitely starting to see see em nudgingham.
Speaker 2: I'm seeing them chase.
Speaker 11: Scootering around town yesterday with the kids, and I watched a buck chase some doze off.
Speaker 2: You know, some city bucks.
Speaker 11: So there definitely seems to be some early activity.
Speaker 2: Man, that's that's wild. So what are you what are you hunting? Like, what's the tactic that you're using when you're out there right now? What pattern? For sure?
Speaker 11: So I'm definitely kind of very again, very new to Montana, so kind of doing a lot more exploring than I usually would do think Midwest, I'm I'm more or less. I was kind of hunting trails, food sources, water sources in the early season versus now I'm kind of covering as much ground as I can, trying to find where game trails come across food and so was hunting a BMA the other day and found the soul apple tree that was on the you know that BMA and kind of, you know, several game trails came into there, so I kind of backed myself off just to watch and a lot of activity coming through there and so kind of covering it all, hunted some you know, stage stuff. The other day, then some heavy timber and got the tree stand ready, and I think I'm gonna throw that up out here sometime soon.
Speaker 2: Cool. So if you were going to go out next week, what would you stay with the same patterns of looking at as kind of some of that food source stuff like the apple trees and that kind of thing, or would you would you change up to a more pre rut kind of pattern.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think I think if it was this week, I'm probably gonna be on some of that food because I think is as this temperature has really drop all that food. Especially if if I'm like finding some of that stuff, it's going to be gone here, uh, because we've got some you know, mid thirties days coming up, And so I probably will I'd say in two weeks maybe transitioned to to some of that pre rut tactics, but you know, still kind of watching the behavior and seeing what they're doing. I obviously don't want to be letting out a grun coll or anything this early in the sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you know, going going into next week, what do you think, on a scale of one to ten, the buck movement is going to be, like.
Speaker 11: You know, looking at it this week and just watching a lot of the movement that I'm seeing with this past two days of coldfront, I think I think there's going to be a good bit of movement. I definitely, you know, give it a six or seven, you know that ten scale.
Speaker 2: So sweet, dude, that's good. That's that's exciting. Man. I wish I had a Montana tag then.
Speaker 11: Man, for sure, I let that buck pass the other day at at about sixteen yards, and you know, I shared it to my story and I had a lot of Western people were like, why didn't you shoot it? It was a shooter and kind of coming from Missouri, a lot of my Missouri friends would have been like, man, good, good.
Speaker 2: On you for passing. That thing's too small.
Speaker 11: But you know somebody will probably take him. You hope to see him grow, but you know, public and stuff like that, it happens.
Speaker 2: Sure. Yeah, Well it's a you know, microregional this thing is, which is why we do the report. And I appreciate all the info. Man, And hopefully that deer makes it through and you get to shoot him next year. So and hopefully you have success this year as well on a different deer, for sure. Hoping to fill some tags, all right, thanks, Cameron, appreciate you.
Speaker 5: All.
Speaker 2: Right on the phone, I've got Justin Henry. He's been out in Florida doing some hunting. It sounds like a hot and skeetery proposition. Am I right? You were correct.
Speaker 5: To the fullest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well we've got it bad here in Texas right now too.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 2: It's like, uh, I just it just feels worse than it actually is heat wise out there. You know what the temps say, So it's it's pretty rough. Are there? Are you hunting deer that are rutting? By chance? I am not.
Speaker 4: They are actually starting to chase here.
Speaker 7: I had two buddies shot two bucks this week and coming in chasing?
Speaker 2: Does really so chasing like full on or just bumping them.
Speaker 5: Around lawn chasing?
Speaker 2: Man, it's wild. What I don't want to I don't want to give away anything you don't want to give away. But can you what's the smallest microregion you can lead us to to let us know where these deer are chasing. We'll say the Daytona Beach area. Okay, okay, man, you can watch race cars and shoot rutting bucks right now, which I don't even know. I guess it's not racing season. I don't know, you know, I'm not.
Speaker 4: No it actually yeah, not no more either.
Speaker 2: I think it actually is, but just not I gotcha. So, so, what are these guys hunting patterns? Or are you hunting patterns that are like typical ret funnel patterns or pinch points and that kind of thing, or are you still sitting on food or how's that going?
Speaker 4: Still still sitting on food?
Speaker 7: You know, Florida being extremely monotonous for the most part, you know, I mean, there are your subtle pinch points and ret travel areas, but I would say for the most part, still acorns are falling heavy, so that that, uh, I'm still meat personally, I'm still hunting that the food.
Speaker 2: Pattern, gotcha? So acorns? What what kind? Do you know much about oak trees and the different variants or you're red and.
Speaker 7: Whine I'm gonna have to say, just like your live oaks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for the most part, I don't think.
Speaker 7: I don't know if any like red oak, white oak per se you. So it's like a live oak out here. I mean I can I can, you know, up north, I can find them out.
Speaker 2: But sure, so, so are you are you sitting really close to those live oak moots or are you sitting closer to betting.
Speaker 4: Towards enough food?
Speaker 2: I got food? I got you?
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, later in the morning type most most most movement, I feel like, for the most part, is generally around that nine o'clock in the morning, whether it be that first adjustment, that first shift, or they're coming back from bed late or just getting up to get a snack or.
Speaker 2: You know, gotcha. Okay, So what's the what's the weather been like as you've been out this past week? Is it pretty consistent? And what are the tempts like?
Speaker 7: Actually this past weekend was a little on the cloudy side. So Saturday morning was opening morning for Zone C and Florida, and I think it was like eighty seven was the high. And then yesterday's Sunday, I believe the high was like ninety seven.
Speaker 4: So humidity at honest humidity at one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: So are there I don't even know, man, this is this is bad on me. But are there any tropical storms or anything that are out in the Gulf affecting y'all's weather.
Speaker 7: That's probably bad on myself too.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I don't know of anything that's per se I know there was a little remnants of that one that went through Louisiana might even hit you all a tiny bit, possibly some bands, so I know they hit like northern Florida area, but.
Speaker 4: All in all we didn't get too much of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got you. So in the next week, say, would you would you shift over to a more rut pattern or would you stick with that food source in hopes of seeing rut suffer rutting action happen around that.
Speaker 7: I would say that the two guys that I know that had them bet shop Bucks chasing Chasing does I think those were just kind of based on small little area. They were both happened to be in the same general area, and I think if you went two miles down the road you would not see that. So I would still be hunting the bed to food patterns in hopes that leading.
Speaker 2: Up the next couple of weeks you might shift. I got you, man. It's it's wild how that though some of those southern ruts are so micro micro regional. So yeah, that's cool. Well, so on a scale of one to ten, in the next week, based off weather, moon, you know, whatever, it might be. What do you think Buck movement it's going to be like I'm.
Speaker 5: Gonna being early in the season.
Speaker 7: Deer aren't having the pressure the way they will here coming shortly, I'd give it right in the middle of the road about a five.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, that's not too bad. Are you gonna be going out soon?
Speaker 5: Yes, sir? All right, sir.
Speaker 4: I want to probably go tomorrow evening.
Speaker 2: All right, Well send me pictures if you shoot one, yes, sir, all right, I appreciate it. Justin all right, man. Well, the guests this week seem very level headed about the outlook coming up, and some of these cold fronts and weather patterns have been changing a lot, and I think as we see the weather patterns kind of pan out, we'll see more consistent patterns that probably will help hunters in the future.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it doesn't make me feel too bad to you the truth.
Speaker 3: I got a little fomo here because everybody's posting dead out pictures and people are hunting deer across the country, and I'm just kind of on lockdown.
Speaker 4: Like old Buck right now because I'm at the house. You know, they takn't care of a baby.
Speaker 3: But pretty soon we'll have more seasons open, and that gets me really excited because that.
Speaker 4: Just starts opening up a lot of opportunities around the country.
Speaker 3: And if you're high about near season, you know, listen to the Element podcast on the podcast app or wherever you get your podcast information from. We're doing some q and a's by early season and talking about some of our prior experiences and just all things whitetail hunting. It's a great resource, and I appreciate the cues and the questions that we have been getting because it makes me think about stuff and maybe even might change my approach.
Speaker 4: It's a good place for us to all learn together.
Speaker 2: For sure. Another good resource would be the wire to Hunt website, which has articles on it, including one from Tony J. Peterson that is why do so many whitetail hunters struggle in September? So it's very prevalent information right there for us as we hunt through September. Guys, this has been rough, fresh, Keep it fresh.