Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. Rewind, this is Rob Lamb and ooh, today's episode is one that originally aired four eleven, twenty twenty five. Yeah, we're talking about Virtuosity, starring Academy Award winning actors Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe. It is a great example of ninety cyberslop. But man, these guys are a lot of fun in it, and it's it's a pretty wild film. So without further ado, let's jump right in.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. This is Rob Lamb and this is Joe McCormick.
Speaker 3: And today we are going to be covering the nineteen ninety five action sci fi thriller Virtuosity, a movie that you will probably remember even if you haven't seen it, because in nineteen ninety five you could not help but be exposed to the trailer where Russell Crowe struts through a future mall in a baggy purple suit and the tune is the Beeg's Staying Alive. It was like one of the most iconic uses of a needle drop in a trailer from the nineties.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right, And this one, as we'll discuss, does have quite a needle drop score. It also has an original score as well, but a lot of needle drops in here. It really really sets the tone for the mid nineties looking to late nineties feel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I want to briefly tell a story of the roundabout way we came to feature this movie today. So next week is going to be our two hundredth episode of Weird House Cinema. I think we still haven't picked the movie for next week, but that makes today the one hundred and ninety ninth episode. And Rob, when you and I were batting ideas around, you mentioned the possibility of doing a movie set in the year nineteen ninety nine for the one ninety ninth episode. I think that was a stroke of genius. And folks, there are a lot of dope movies set in ninety nine, usually made in the eighties or nineties, imagining nineteen ninety nine as a terrible dystopian turning point. So I was looking at her options and for a while I thought that we were going to be talking about End of Days starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. For those of you who mainly remember Arnold's roles as a terminator or an elite commando of some kind. This is a bit outside his normal range. It is a Y two k Anti Christ movie in which Arnold has to shoot the devil with a machine gun to prevent the titular End of Days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a movie in which Arnold plays sort of an everyman. Also I guess sort of a super cop. But yeah, it gets type. I don't want to see Arnold play in every Man. I want to see Arnold play like a chrom show in Champion that has been forged out of trauma and loss into a human weapon. That's what I want out of my Arnold roles.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the even weirder thing is the context that it's like a religious supernatural thriller. It's like The Omen, but with Arnold in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen End of Days in a long time. I barely remember it. But Rob, didn't you say there's something about the year nineteen ninety nine in it that like plays into a prophecy?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah. The only things I remember are that, a, there's a really cool bat creature in it, but also very like brown and dark, very saturated looking, but still cool bat Monster, And then there's this whole thing about how well six' six' six really means nine ninety nine because in dreams numbers are inverted or upside down. Or something IT'S it's i remember its sounding pretty cool until you thought about it for like.
Speaker 3: Two seconds, So anyway End of days that is deliciously weird as. A pitch it does apparently have glorious delivery on the theme of nineteen, ninety nine BUT unfortunately i started watching that, ONE man i was just not feeling it for. This week the vibes were a little too serious, and grim a little too much kidnapping of babies and pouring rattlesnake blood. On them it just kind of bummed, Me OUT so i Bailed on End. Of days maybe, WE'LL come i. Don't know maybe if you get past those, early scenes it. Gets FUNNIER but i wasn't feeling it, this Week and I'M glad i ended up bailing because the NEXT movie i checked out was another one said in nineteen, ninety nine but in in a very, different direction and that IS as, i said nineteen Ninety, five's Virtuosity Starring denzel washington as an ace cop with a with a, tragic backstory a, redemption arc and a rarely mentioned, bionic arm and Also Starring russell crowe as a synthetic computer game villain raised in a sort of digital nursery with a great teacher to, student ratio but all the teachers are.
Speaker 1: Serial killers, You know i'm just now realizing that this movie does have something in Common with End. Of days both of these films are about like a sort of everyman cop type figure going Up Against. Evil Incarnate an End, of Days It's evil incarnate because It Is gabriel byrne as the devil who in ONE scene i Believe peace fire is pea. Straight fire and in this movie we have pure evil in the sense that we have A super ai trained on serial killers and mad men that will mild spoiler here it's in, the trailer will take physical form in the real world thanks TO three d printing.
Speaker 3: Exactly right and that actually brings us to one of the MAIN things i wanted to talk about at the, top here and that is that virtuosity is like a core example of a nineteen nineties SUBGENRE that i LOVE that i would here like to dub cyberslop movies from, the nineties where somebody gets sucked into, a computer Where the internet tries to, kill you where a virtual reality game. Becomes sentient, you know, he's learning he's evolving at a, geometric rate and then at the end you've got a hack into the mainframe to kill. The, monster now it might take more than one episode for us to like fully refine our definition. Of CYBERSLOP but i was just, you KNOW when i was working on the, OUTLINE here i was trying to think of a few things these movies seem to have in common that make them interesting. To me one of the things they have in common is that they almost always have ATROCIOUS EARLY cgi cgi that was not ready but here it. Is anyway and usually like at, some point either the villainous entity or the MacGuffin of the movie will be represented as, a floating, spinning icosahedron and then when, it's destroyed it shatters into a bunch. Of triangles you know Exactly what i'm, Talking, about.
Speaker 1: Yeah kind of a mind's eide death star sort. Of, Moment yeah and thinking about this MADE me i went BACK and i watched a few scenes from The original TRON because i was curious, it's like did they have a moment like this where where the main AI, the mcp does? It explode it, Doesn't explode but so maybe there's another film that really got there first with the exploding. DIGITAL head i.
Speaker 3: Think, For me tron is. Not cyberslop it sort of, predates it and the cyberslab genre is derived from Movies like tron and also kind Of degrades tron's level. Of imagination if that.
Speaker 1: Makes. Sense, yeah yeah speaking, OF though i was glancing at those Scenes from TRON and i was really taken aback at how colorful and vivid. Everything is and this is PROBABLY because i Haven't watched tron since it was LIKE on tv on an old school television back in. The DAY but i, was, like wow maybe we really need to come back And. Watch, Tron oh i'd definitely be down for.
Speaker 3: DOING it i watched that one a LOT when i was. A, kid okay another thing about, CYBERSLAP movies i feel like they tend to, stylize technology like the technology of the setting in amusing and sometimes even sort of thought. Provoking ways so if this, makes sense it is not just that the characters within the cyberslot movie have a particular style and. Fashion choices but it's like the technosphere itself has chosen, a style a. Personal style so you get movies where tech is goth or movies where Tech Is, miami vice, you know neon colors and the. Shoulder pads sometimes tech, is preppy and very often tech.
Speaker 1: Is. Punk, yeah yeah because of course tech should, be punk because the whole genre has its roots, in cyberpunk generally with very strong connections to the literary Work Of. William gibson but we could do a deeper dive easily that gets, into like, you know what are the earliest examples of sci fi plot lines in which someone is inside of a simulation or a virtual world and it goes back.
Speaker 3: Several, decades yeah and a lot of these movies are essentially Borrowing From william gibson, type writing but very much dumbing. It down another THING that i think is interesting about, these movies it's not unique. To them they share this with a lot of other. Nineties subgenres they feel very much like they're from the end. Of history and one reason for that is that every piece of actual specific culture that we get in these movies feels meaningless. And interchangeable like it could be swapped out with any other piece of culture from the same. Object class so, you know it's just a world where it's like insert work of, art here insert political. Issue here the cultural objects do not seem to really mean anything. In themselves they don't bring their specific meanings and values. From reality they're just examples of a type. Of thing it, feels like, you know they're selected from a drop. DOWN menu i really associate this kind of storytelling with movies from the nineties, in general but Especially these cyberslot movies.
Speaker 1: HAVE this i wonder if there's, a case and to, be clear very, broad Case and i'm sure there are plenty of counter, examples HERE but i wonder how much of this might have to do with having like a lot of up and coming filmmakers in, the nineties maybe more like tech first style first directors and, you know screenwriters, as well tackling these films informed by the models that they grew up on from, the eighties from the, seventies especially that are taking a more, like direct thoughtful approach in some cases to actual social issues and, political issues and so there's sort of maybe in some cases, at least, you know echoing, the form but without really grasping.
Speaker 3: The, substance, YEAH yeah i think that may be on. To something i'll have to think some more. About that, but, then also this very LAST point i want to Make about CYBERSLOP is i think the most, important one and that is that these movies are at the same time both quaint and uncanny in the way they depict technologies like, VIRTUAL, reality Ai, the internet and. Digital media AND what i mean by, that is on, one hand it's genuinely so cute that somebody in the year nineteen ninety three decided to write a whole screenplay about Like. The internet, you know it's some Kind of, internet thriller and it obviously has such a vague understanding of What the internet is and how. It works you'll have like characters navigating cyberspace with, a joystick, you know that's how you get Through, The internet and so it's. Just adorable thinking about that kind of relationship to technology is like looking at a puppy. Falling asleep on the, other hand stories, like this with their, very loose, technically inaccurate, overly concrete, overly personalized almost symbolic depictions of, these technologies can feel weirdly prescient on the, metaphorical level usually in their ability to imagine what it feels like to be acted upon by, these technologies in their maturity in the future we live. In, now so, for example imagine A hypothetical cyberslot movie from nineteen ninety six where somebody Hacks the internet so That the net becomes a self evolving malevolent entity that wants to. Destroy you it's both like dumb in nineteen ninety six and it takes a kind of technological ignorance to, write it but it also captures something very real about what it would come to feel like to Be an internet user in twenty.
Speaker 1: Twenty. Five, Yeah, YEAH plus i guess we have to remind ourselves that a lot of, these films they are exploitive to a. Certain extent there's some sort of like t, exploitation film and, you know you're often exp you're exploiting, a fear and fears are not always completely formed and certainly. Not Rational like i'm thinking about smart killer smart house movies from. THE nineties i remember one In The Sci fi channel where there was like a hand that went around on a little track on the ceiling and the house and like all that like that's, completely ridiculous, BUT like i don't doubt for a second that it comes from a legitimate fear that arises based on just what people, were saying like the houses of the future were going to, Be like and that fear maybe is not, completely gone maybe, it's matured maybe it's changed form, a BIT but i think we still have that sort of fear and it still gets poked and kindled by various news stories, about oh your toaster is watching you and.
Speaker 3: So, forth, yeah exactly like that vision was overly simplified and, overly concrete but actually reality did catch up to the feeling of that plot in. A way so perhaps we can explore more about this as we, Go ON but i really think that irony is the Case. With virtuosity on, One hand virtuosity is quite simple minded and literal in its engagement with the, technology themes but there are some things in it that feel unsettlingly resonant in twenty, twenty five especially in the context of a movie that is in most ways extremely nineteen ninety five's version of nineteen.
Speaker 1: Ninety. Nine, yeah yeah we'll get into this a, lot more BUT certainly i think there are various world building details and choices and virtuosity that hit with a kind of almost idiocricy, like accuracy, you know like there's a certain amount of maybe in a loose black comedy to.
Speaker 3: The, choice yeah, you're, like oh that's a.
Speaker 1: Little close and then in its, main focus, of course we have an out OF control ai menace that gets ITSELF three d printed so that it can go on a viral, killing spree and it really does sweep up various pressing anxieties About, the internet, artificial intelligence and in a, limited way the future OF three d printing of inorganic and.
Speaker 3: Organic materials i'd agree with you that the themes hit harder on LIKE the ai and digital media front than on the. Robotics front, BUT still i. Don't know maybe one day we'll catch up to the. Robotics.
Speaker 1: ELEMENT yeah i mean at different times when there have been accelerations IN three, d printing there have been Moments where, i'm, like oh this is Like the internet in all its awfulness can now take. Physical form and maybe on SOME level i was remembering virtuosity Trailers and, i'm like this is. Like virtuosity it's like you thought, of It the internet, made it and now it's on, your desk and granted we've had a little more time to sort of grow with. THAT one i, feel like though there are some still dangerous concerns out there in THE three d, printing world but for the, MOST part i feel like we've gotten a little more accustomed to what it can do for. US now i also find it interesting in these various films of this subgenre once that often include like a digital or, virtual character and they really get TO what i will refer to as job, about yes Referencing lawnmower, man here which has a, very close very close kinship with, this film in which you have a character OR an ai entity that becomes a kind of god complex black hole of negative. Personal ATTRIBUTES and i think this too nicely mirrors fears then as well as fears and sometimes realities now about the virtual realm of expression and consumption that we have in the digital realm that might allow too many barriers of behavior to erode in the shape of our virtual self then becomes, something, grotesque dangerous and maybe.
Speaker 3: Even, evil yeah, once again, Right on i'm not going TO say I think virtuosity did this. ON purpose i think it may be a kind of accidental stumbling into. This theme but you're, exactly right it's there and it hits. Hard, now now ANOTHER thing i want to mention at, the topic just an interesting Parallel with End of days is as the almost choice as the alternate reality of. This week what's really exquisite about the Pitch for End of days is the mismatch between the premise and. The, Star right Like Whatever arnold schwarzenegger was, made for it was not to like march through cathedrals by candle light trying To stop satan from fathering a child. On earth that is a, weird fit and with today's movie there is something similar going. ON virtuosity i looked. It up it did have a mid. Sized budget it wasn't, huge budget but it wasn't small. Budget either it was, you know mid sized action sci fi kind of, you know in the realm of what.
Speaker 1: You'd.
Speaker 3: Expect, Yeah yeah but, it is in both content and execution, a bizarre trashy, b movie and yet its two main stars are two of, the biggest most, sought after MOST respected a, list actors certainly in the, two thousands definitely in the Case Of, Denzel washington like the last three Decades. Of hollywood it's almost Like If tom hanks was In. Lawnmower man it's, just, like oh such a strange thing. To imagine Like When russell crowe did, this movie his big period was still ahead. Of him But when denzel, did this he already Had multiple, oscar nominations He'd Won Best supporting. Actor once so it's already deeply strange and amusing that you've got the top tier Of future hollywood in this dumb killer. Computer movie but what's even more odd is that neither of them are phoning. It in but both OF them i think are fantastic in. This movie they're giving, full efforts really getting into. The characters, IN fact i WOULD say i have never Seen A russell crowe performance in which he seems to be expressing as much joy through acting as he.
Speaker 1: Does here this Is.
Speaker 3: The pinnacle LIKE his oscar nominated roles are comparatively grim. And subdued in, this movie you get him is a disco strutting synthetic serial killer and he.
Speaker 1: Comes, alive, YEAH yeah i think. YOU'RE right i think we've really only seen him get back into broad performances, like this maybe in the likes of twenty twenty Two's thor Love, and thunder in which he gets To play zeus with A ridiculous. Greek accent i'll come back to that ONE because I actually i actually like that performance quite. A, BIT oh i haven't.
Speaker 3: Seen that that makes me want to see, it THOUGH.
Speaker 1: But, i, agree, like yeah both of these guys are arguably better than, this movie but both of them. REALLY deliver i, would Say In denzel, washington's case he is almost too good for this movie in the sense that not that he's not great, in it but a role of the sort sometimes hits a little better if you have a less skilled actor or an actor that makes, stranger choices Whereas, like denzel like all his choices, are solid just a complete. Pro here you need somebody maybe a, little sloppy a, little greener so that they can shine in a role. Like this but that, being said he's.
Speaker 3: Still terrific they're two very different kinds of performances that are beyond what is required. By virtuosity denzel gives a much more human performance than you would expect his character, to Have And russell crowe gives a much more just like scenery ingesting huge improvisational energy kind.
Speaker 2: Of.
Speaker 1: Performance, YEAH yeah i would say his performance is like a little, bit joker a little bit job the firm lawnmower many, and also at least in the, visual sense a little Bit Nineties. Peter, gabriel yeah there. You, go.
Speaker 3: Okay we ready for the. Elevator pitch yeah. HIT us sid six point seven is a. Computer program he is a sadistic virtual super criminal designed FOR a vr training environment that will be used to test the cops of. The future but the developers are still working the, kinks out and in, the meantime they ARE testing sid against players from the. Prison population the only one who has ever beaten Him Is, parker barnes a former police officer who is incarcerated after his vendetta killing of a terrorist who murdered his family and also killing several other people in. The process but when through a series of, IMPLAUSIBLE events sid six point seven gets brought into our world and turned into a kind Of MEAT space t one thousand with, blueberry blood there's only one man who can.
Speaker 1: Stop, him yep that's. RIGHT on i would also present the Idea Of oops SWEET three d printed a. Mass, murder yeah that's it's also kind. Of it this is the one thing we didn't want, to happen and here. We are, All right let's go ahead and listen to part Of the keyser trailer because the, main trailer the one most, people heard it prominently features the bes, staying alive and we want to stay alive here on. The SHOW so i didn't want to feature. THAT song i love, that song but, you know this is what we're playing.
Speaker 4: In this high tech crime. Prevention facility one man has been recruited to play a, simulated game the objective to hunt Down The Ultimate Virtual REALITY killer sid six. Point seven there's only. One problem the computer change. The program now he's in the. Real world.
Speaker 1: He's interactive he doesn't enjoyed a game unless he's playing against his. Favorite opponent that's me from the director Of.
Speaker 4: Lawnmower man he's recreating.
Speaker 3: Mass murders so what, you're saying it's who's a complicated since six ten on improving? The Original.
Speaker 4: Denzel washington Just because i'm carrying around the joy of killing your family inside me doesn't mean you can't.
Speaker 1: Be friends.
Speaker 4: Virtuosity.
Speaker 1: Game over.
Speaker 3: Speaking of beg, STAYING alive i Bet the virtuosity trailer IS how i first learned about. That, SONG huh, I may i may not have ever heard it.
Speaker 1: BEFORE that, i mean somebody needs to be struttin when that song. Is playing and if that song, is playing you will soon find. Yourself strutting that's just how.
Speaker 3: It, works oh this may be too embarrassing to say, out LOUD but i bet as a KID when I Saw russell crowe walking in the blue in the Purple suit beg's, ARE playing i probably like strutted around my HOUSE after i.
Speaker 1: Saw that. No joke, all right you might, be, wondering, WELL hey i want To see virtuosity as well before listening to the rest of, the EPISODE or i want to later and. So, Forth well virtuosity was a, major release so you can find it pretty much wherever you choose to get. Your movies for, physical, media however there's no beating the Recently Released Vinegar syndrome, ultra release which gives us the film newly scanned and restored IN four k from its thirty five millimeters original, camera negative along with tons of extras like, new extras interviews with the director and. Other, folks it's without a doubt the finest physical release this film has.
Speaker 3: EVER gotten i Can't Believe vinegar syndrome Release of virtuosity is as close as we're ever going to get To a criterion collection disc Of.
Speaker 1: Lawnmower, Man Yeah vinegar syndrome, does great, great work and this is certainly the. CASE here i rented this from videodrome Here, in atlanta, and yeah it. LOOKS great, i mean the digital effects are only going to look, so polished as, we'll discuss which but, then again that only really potentially hurts the film during THE non, vr segments as, we'll DISCUSS and i will say that the goofy android makeup and other practical effects look. Really great, OH.
Speaker 3: Yeah i mean you wouldn't WANT the cgi to look. TOO good i mean that's part of.
Speaker 1: The, charm yeah especially in those the. Simulation.
Speaker 3: Sequences, yeah WELL so i, streamed it but, YOU know i got a feeling this might not be the LAST time I, watch VIRTUOSITY.
Speaker 1: So i might have to snag. This disc, all right let's talk about the people who made, this film starting at the Top With brett leonard born nineteen, Fifty nine american director of films and, music videos best known for his. Pivotal work in nineteen nineties virtual reality, inspired media as he Directed both today's film and nineteen Ninety two's The. Lawnmower, man that, of course Is the bonker's virtual, reality film born out of an original script inspired by the Work Of jaron lanier and the production company's desire to Keep Adapting stephen king stories they owned the, rights to basically by slapping the Title lawnmower man onto a pre.
Speaker 3: Existing script this has nothing to do With the. King story is this one of the ones he?
Speaker 1: Sued, over yes it's my understanding that he successfully got his name taken off of, this, one, because yeah has the original stories about like a crazy satanic lawnmower man who eats grass or something to. That effect it.
Speaker 3: Worships The, GOD pan. I, Believe, yeah yeah There's some pan worship.
Speaker 1: In there nothing to do with virtual. Reality Now brett leonard's first directorial credit was nineteen Eighty Nine's The. Dead pit this is a supernatural horror film with like the Features. The undead i've never, seen IT but i am super familiar WITH its vhs box arc because and you probably are as well if you were of a, certain age because this WAS a vhs rental store box that had light up eyes powered by a little battery. Pack inside it might have made. SOUND too i don't remember if it, made sound but they definitely. Light up and, This one i'm, to understand is very much a collector's ITEM among.
Speaker 3: Vhs enthusiasts rob this we may have even mentioned this idea on the, show BEFORE but i have thought that at some point we should do a series of weird house cinema episodes just focusing on films that had, gimmick packaging stuff that had light up components or anything on the box that's different than normal to get people to pick it up, and say?
Speaker 1: What's, THIS yeah vhs shell shaped like a coffin something. Like, That yeah i'm definitely here. For. It okay So lawnmower man was his follow Up To. Dead pit and the, thing is we can all laugh about what did and didn't work About, lawnmower man but it made a lot, of money especially given its. Small budget it connected WITH a vr, curious audience and along with this film paved the way for pretty MUCH every vr film to follow up to And Including.
Speaker 3: The matrix, that's, Right folks Without, lawnmower Man. No matrix probably probably.
Speaker 1: There Was An indie wire headline from earlier this year an Article By jim hemphill that Covers The vinegar syndrome re release of, the picture and its Title is virtuosity walks the matrix. Could run so this seems to be the opinion of, various folks and it's discussed a bit in some of the extras On the VIRTUOSITY disc i. Buy It so leonard did not come back for The lawnmower, man sequel which is also, pretty Bonkers but hollywood did, say yes more of. This please so nineteen ninety five saw the release of the psychic serial Killer, film hideaway based On The dean kotz novel And Starring, jeff goldbloom And. Then, virtuosity so like we, Said earlier Virtuosity paramount, pictures production, bigger budget ultimately did not have quite the cultural or commercial impact that everyone was, banking on but it received a fair amount of reevaluation in, recent years especially With That vinegar syndrome blu. Ray release as we'll discuss, the film sci fi commentary hits home in various ways given where we, are, now, politically socially and above, all technologically, and yeah case could be made that this helped pave the road for things Like, the matrix and then once the, matrix explodes like how many folks are running around with, machine guns sunglasses and some sort of like black latex garb shooting in slow motion and going in and out.
Speaker 3: Of cyberspace though it's funny because the black latex look you only see from secondary characters in. THIS film i can't emphasize enough the weird fashion Sensibility Of russell crowe in. This movie he wears like brightly colored, big suits, like, loose baggy double breasted suits of either, the green satin or.
Speaker 1: Purple, variety, yes well he. Likes attention he wants an attention. Grabbing outfit in, the extras particularly Interview, with leonard he points, out, That Ye russell crowe is essentially, an influencer like, He is he's going after that. Influencer space he wants eyes on what he, is doing like that is his, Prime drive like not merely to do, awful things but to be seen doing awful things and get those hits and get those.
Speaker 3: Subscribers up oh, My god i've got too many deep thoughts comments about this later on in, The outline, but, yes, yes yes that's what's going on here before that thing, even existed, All.
Speaker 1: Right so virtuosity hits. Post virtuosity leonard Directed an, imax Film T rex back To. THE cretaceous i might have seen this one at. This point there have been So many imax AND three d, dinosaur films especially as, a Parent that i've SEEN that i don't know where one ends and the other. ONE begins i always. Enjoy them this one is apparently actually a huge hit For an. Imax film at.
Speaker 3: The TIME when i was, A teenager i worked selling tickets to, tourist attractions and one of THE places i worked Was an. IMAX theater i don't recall if they ever had, this ONE but i remember a general awareness.
Speaker 1: Of it, all right there's a chance.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 1: Happened now, Later on Leonard directed he directed a pair of two thousand and five films that seemed. Very skippable One Is. Man thing this was An early marvel entertainment film that missed the mark for. Various reasons i've, read that like it was one of those cases where the production was just too far Away and marvel wasn't able to like really have their hands in it as much as. They wanted and then he also did a Movie, called feed which seems like one of the many bad taste horror films to spring up in the wake of ninety five. To seven it also looks. Very skippable then he directed two thousand And Seven's Highlander. The source this was the final trickle of cinematic juice thus far squeezed from the husk Of the.
Speaker 3: HIGHLANDER franchise i, Assume No, Christoph, limbert no he's.
Speaker 1: In it oh. He, is yeah this is. You kidding this is the period of films where they had they had combined the movies AND the tv show and like they were literally just throwing everything in and just squeezing as much as they could out. Of it and maybe they'll relaunch it here in the next year, or two and we'll have so much more juice. To squeeze but this was like the. Last trickle, but hey somebody had to direct, these movies might as Well Than. Leonard, okay now, more recently he directed the twenty twenty One drama triumph and seems to be returning to his roots with an upcoming Project Called, dark star not not Related To John Carpenter's, dark star in which quote a Trio Of Astral warriors Battle And. Ai threat it's in pre production as of, this Recording so. I'm interested it would be interesting to see what the Director Of lon Moriman in virtuosity would have for us in like twenty twenty five of twenty. TWENTY six i am. Mighty. Curious, yeah now his music video Filmography Includes Peter Gabriel's Kissed that frog from. Ninety three this was off of a terrific ALBUM that i totally wore out in. The nineties the video is notable for its USE of cgi IN a. Cgi frog it was actually the FIRST all cgi. Music video apparently.
Speaker 3: The cgi frog has really really. Red lips it's like. Lipstick lips this.
Speaker 1: Was obviously a pioneering, music video which is to say it it doesn't look that great by, today's standard not like a lot Of Other peter gabriel Videos, like sledgehammer, you know which has all this great stop motion and you know totally stands the test of.
Speaker 3: Time Now But peter gabriel has a presence on the soundtrack of this movie. As Well Guess i'm your, Party man.
Speaker 1: That's right a track co Written By. Tory. Amos, wow YEAH so i look forward to talking about the music as we. Proceed, here, okay okay don't want to get ahead. Of you but to Finish, with leonard it is notable that he's not just a nineteen nineties POPULARIZER of vr sci fi. And tear he also co founded two different companies involved in the USE, of vr or is the term he prefers as virtual experiences for. Therapeutic purposes So There's, Virtual. Psychedelics Inc AND.
Speaker 3: Ubiquity, vx okay no Offense To brett leonard at all, about this but it is kind of an odd choice to like the stories you have created and sent into the WORLD, about vr all about murder and ABOUT LIKE vr, vr psycho, you know taking control and unleashing havoc on, the world but then also like literally being involved in ACTUALLY using vr for allegedly. Good purposes i'm not trying to impune what.
Speaker 1: He's, doing, no, NO no i mean he based on the INTERVIEW that i watched on, that disk he does seem to recognize the irony, of this and, he's okay frames it is sort Of like i'm giving back having having first helped to create these visions. Of, paranoia yeah so, fair enough, all right moving on to, the screenplay it Is By, eric, burnt screenwriter perhaps best known for his work on, this film but his first credit to his screamplay was nineteen Ninety four Surviving, the game Directed BY. Ernest. R dickerson this we've talked about this before because we've Talked ABOUT Ernest ar. Dickerson before but this is The most dangerous game but with, iced tea Hunted By, Rugger Howard, gary Busey F marie Abraham AND. John. C.
Speaker 3: McGinley Yeah was dickerson the director Of the tales From the Crypt Movie.
Speaker 1: Demon knight, He, was yes we talked about before on. The show he also wrote the screenplay for Two Thousands Romeo must die and has a story credit on Two thousands.
Speaker 3: Highlander endgame, All right highlander connections from. Different, directions yeah there was a lot Of work, highlander world, you know so you got paid where you could.
Speaker 1: Get, PAID okay i.
Speaker 3: Think it's time to talk about our implausible a list, Actors.
Speaker 1: Here Yes Playing Lieutenant. Parker barnes you know his Name is parker because it's set a bazillion times in. This, Picture, hey porker this one's. For, you yeah this is Of Course denzel washington born nineteen. Fifty four this is one of those moments where, IT'S like i don't have to tell anyone out There Who denzel, washington IS but i, will say it's so easy to take a talent like him, for granted because for people around, my age it feels like he's always. Been there, you know he's always been there at the top of. His game he's always. Been established he's stuck near the top Of the hollywood pantheon for decades and just continues to bust, out powerful often award winning performances, in big big. Budget films, all told he's currently a Nine Time academy award nominee and two. Time winner at this point in, his career as we already, pointed out he'd been nominated three times and. Won once so, you KNOW dare I say he's coming into this, one hot having been nominated for nineteen Eighty Eight's, cry freedom in nineteen Ninety THREE'S, malcolm x and having won again for Nineteen. Nineties glory subsequent nominations would include two Thousands Of, the hurricane Twenty thirteen's flight, Twenty seventeens fences Twenty Eighteen's, Roman Jay israel esquire and twenty Twenty Two's the Tragedy. Of macbeth his to date only Other oscar Win Was best actor for his excellent performance as the Dirty Cap alonzo harris in two thousand And One's. TRAINING day i keep getting a wild hair to rewatch, that one because that's that's a film that when it CAME out i was really. Captivated by it was just like, really intense had some excellent twists and in just a phenomenal sense of danger as well as of course at a terrific of, i'll say, villain performance but it's a little more complicated, than that, you know it's almost Like a shakespearean, villain performance which of course brings us To the Tragedy. Of, macbeth that of Course Is joel cohen's adaptation Of the scottish play that also Co stars, francis McDormand and it is also awesome and of course features an amazing supporting cast that features A Few cohen brothers regulars as Well As. Brian thompson you Might Remember brian thompson from such films as The Second Moral, kombat movie in which You Played shao khan and loads of like action. B movies, you know he was often an, action star but he shows up in this as one of the murderers and.
Speaker 3: Is, terrific oh in the Tragedy. Of macbeth Not, In, virtuosity no not. IN virtually i would be ASHAMED if i had missed Him in.
Speaker 1: Virtuosity, Somewhere Yeah brian thompson was also one of the punks that gets beat up and or killed by. The terminator yeah that.
Speaker 3: Sounds, Right, yeah WELL as i, Said Earlier denzel washington is so much better than this movie. Calls For he he's giving the more subdued and humanistic performance And Allowing russell crowe the space to just. Be wacky but it's both funny and genuinely like a pleasure to see him in. This.
Speaker 1: Role, yeah leonard in the Interview On The blu ray Commented that denzel was pretty much at the top of his, game here, you know requiring only mild suggestions here, and there and otherwise you just like you just let him run, with it and he nails it right out of, the gate possessing what he described as an almost like superhuman ability to know exactly where his face is in a given shot and just maximize, his expression.
Speaker 3: Which is interesting because that's a very film. Specific TALENT and I know i've Read That denzel washington very much thinks of himself as like a stage. PERFORMER first, i, mean obviously, you know more people know him from, his movies but he, you know he's a very like stage and theater focused actor in. A.
Speaker 1: Way, yeah, yeah yeah he's back on the stage currently as we're recording this. As well but as far as sci fi movies. It goes it's. Actually interesting this is only one of three sci fi Movies that denzel has ever, APPEARED in, i believe alongside two thousand and Six Is deja vus and Twenty Ten's the Book. Of eli and of course he's still going. Strong today just came off of a key Role In Ridley scott's, gladiator two which is fitting given who our next. Star is that's.
Speaker 3: All right RACHEL and i were just talking about this that it's got Two different gladiator actors at the, top here and, of, course yeah of course that brings Us To russell CROWE as sid six.
Speaker 1: Point seven. That's right do you think.
Speaker 3: It would have been different actors in the role OF previous, sid releases LIKE was sid three Point Nine michael dudikov and then by the time you get to six point Seven That's.
Speaker 1: Russell crowe that that would be interesting that if they Do A virtuosity, tv series, you know they could do, different sids. Different actors it could BE a sid of the. Weak Situation So russell crowe born nineteen, Sixty Four new zealand born Actor of Welsh and maouri Ancestry As. WE denzel i really don't need to tell. You Who russell. Crowe is very, famous actor but with A decidedly i would say wilder reputation in. A filmography to fit, That reputation crow starred started off in music, and Theater including i'm delighted to Say playing eddie In A new zealand Production Of The Rocky Horror.
Speaker 3: Picture show oh that's surprising.
Speaker 1: But also kind. Of perfect, YOU know i think he was in he was like in a band at, one point, very early, you know before he really got. Into ACTING so i can Definitely See russell Crowe. As eddie he Has, meat, Yeah yeah eddie was played By meat loaf in the In The Rocky Art. Picture show for anyone who's trying to remember. The, Casting now crow Broke into australian cinema. AFTER this a couple of big hits here were ninety Ninety one's proof and nineteen Ninety Two's romper stomper rather famous role in which he Plays a, melbourne skinhead and these films helped to springboard Him into american pictures and that's really where. Virtuosity comes in the, same year he also appeared In The sam Raimy Western the quick And.
Speaker 3: The dead never seen? That one is that one that Also Has? Sharon, STONE yeah i believe she's the lead.
Speaker 1: In, it yeah. So yeah leonard also talked about about Working With russell crowe And Said russell crowe is also a situation of where you turn him loose and you just follow him, and maybe, you know give him a few few directions here. And there but He described crowe as being kind of like a bundle of improvisational energy and so a lot of his lines here that we get some of the, great ones our improvisations that he brought to, the script that he brought to.
Speaker 3: THE scenes i think you can detect that without even. Knowing it it just comes through in. The movie there's this might sound like a wild comparison but there is Almost A jim carrey quality to him In, this.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, absolutely yeah that kind Of, Like, Batman joker riddler kind of energy where it's just, you know laughing. And goofy our man here is doing backflips INTO the ufc octagon and landing on his head seemingly. ON purpose, i mean he's. Completely. Unhinged Yeah So russell crowe followed all this with well received performances in such Hits As la confidential in, Ninety Seven the insider in. Ninety nine he Got an oscar nomination for, that one before his award winning star Performance In Ridley scott's gladiator in two thousand. And one he was nominated the following YEAR For A. Beautiful mind subsequent films of note include the likes of two thousand, And Threes, Mastering Commander The far side Of, the world two thousand And One's american Gangster With, denzel Washington And Ridley Scott's robin hood in. Twenty, ten now around, Twenty ten i'd say the credits start getting a, little weirder and it feels like he gets he's getting to flex his muscles and supporting roles half, the time and even some villain, work again appearing in the likes of Twenty Twelve's the man With The, iron fists Twenty thirteen's Man, of steel Twenty, fourteen's noah Twenty Seventeen's, the mummy twenty Twenty two's Love, and thunder, which again this is where He plays zeus and he gets to just be over the top, and comedic but also has at least one key scene that he's just oozing with. Villainous energy so it's very fun. To watch a lot of people did Not like Love and thunder all. THAT much i didn't like it as much the FIRST time i, watched IT but i really came around to it the. Second time if, nothing else it's a wacky film with some incredibly talented actors. In it you Could See christian bale play a mad god, killing alien so you know it's worth. The, Ticket okay but then He's lately crow has been playing a lot. Of exorcists twenty twenty Three Is The pope's exorcist and twenty Twenty Fours. The exorcist these are apparently not related to. EACH other i haven't, seen THEM so i can't, fully COMMENT but i. Don't know he's just saying yes to.
Speaker 3: EXORCIST pictures i Haven't Seen The. Pope's exorcist, IN fact i don't know what it's about other than what one might surmise from. The title but it pops up on, streaming services and so in our house we keep Making The pope's.
Speaker 1: Exorcist jokes is he an exorcist working For? The pope or is he Exercising? The pope many.
Speaker 3: Good questions Is the pope possessed by a devil and he has to? Exercise it or do people get possessed by the spirit Of the pope and he has to go Exercise the pope?
Speaker 1: FROM people.
Speaker 3: I.
Speaker 1: Don't know we're going to have to await listeners to tell us how this all.
Speaker 3: Plays OUT can i read a quote From The Janet Maslin New york times Review of virtuosity when it. Came out oh don't fully agree With everything maslin, says here but just for how it was received at, The time, She Writes mister washington is usually an actor audiences will follow into, any dimension but here his role, is, limited, too often leaving him to play second fiddle to the film's weirdly hypnotic. Special Effects mister crowe as a psychotic, yuppie type bearing a disconcerting resemblance to The Writer. Brett easton l does a memorable job making himself frightening until the film becomes numbingly frantic in the manner of many. Video games while it excoriates the vicious sid as the techno spawn of Monsters Like adolf Hitler And John, Wayne gacy virtuosity also revels in his exploits with more enthusiasm than is. Really necessary, You know i'm gonna agree with the later part. Of that one of the downsides of the film, is like it's like, mostly silly but then sometimes the violent scenes just get a little. Too real, it's like, oh man that went harder than it. Needed to but the other, THING is i like the Characterization Of russell crow here is as a psychotic yuppie type because that captures something about the ROLE that i didn't quite put TOGETHER when i was just reacting to. It myself, but yeah there is a kind of urbanity, to him do you KNOW what? I mean like he's kind of he's kind of suave and sophisticated at the same time that he is supposed to be, an uncontrolled manic, psycho killer and that is clearly it's part of what the appeal of the. Character is but it, ALSO feels i, don't know it's like a very. Unfocused characterization this character is just a lot of things thrown at, the wall you KNOW what. I, mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah but of course that also is exactly what.
Speaker 3: He.
Speaker 1: Is, like yeah there's like a multiple personality situation. Going on, but yeah then also as it's, you know it's brought to life on, the screen you can see so many different, influences there, all right getting into the rest of, the CAST and i should say the rest of the cast is very much the rest of the. Cast, here yeah, you know they're all supporting what are our two stars. Are doing but We Have kelly lynch playing. The Character madison carter born nineteen Fifty nine, american actress best known for performances in nineteen Eighty Nine's, drugstore cowboy as Well as roadhouse from the. Same year she's continued to work steadily in FILM, and tv Appearing In Such is The, L Word, Magic City, mister Mercedes And physical you.
Speaker 3: Know how whenever a copy gets thrown off the force is brought back for one. Last job he always has to get a. New partner here's your new.
Speaker 1: Partner exactly and so it is very much a supporting role in the most limited sense of. The word like everything she's doing is here to support the Characterization Of denzel washington's character and have her.
Speaker 3: Kid kidnapped this we'll. Discuss it she does get to shoot the human bad guy at.
Speaker 1: The end. That's true. That's. True oh in speaking of human, bad, guy yep It Is lynden meyer Played By steven spinella for nineteen. Fifty six this was only his third. Film appearance, but man this guy has tremendous weird energy because he's the Creator of sid six. Point seven but also it's clear that he's now completely enraptured by his creation and is worshiping his creation and wants to do anything. He can he has a true love for this awful thing that. He's made. He's continued spinell has continued to milk his weird energy and some other great weird productions over. The years nineteen Ninety, nine's ravenous another FILM that i think would be interesting to revisit in twenty, twenty five Twenty ten's rubber and that's that's one that's been recommended to, us before and Then Also Steven Soderberg's, the NICK which i am struggling to remember who. He played there were a lot of actors coming in and out of that shows what two. Season Run but i'm a big Fan Of, the nick. All right we Also have william Forsythe playing william cochrane is this character is the what he's the, police, Chief right, he's like you're the BEST cop i ever. Worked with you're the. Absolute best i'm the as well as, He's like i'm gonna get you out of prison and get you back on, the force that sort.
Speaker 3: Of thing there's only one man who can stop, this thread and that's the protagonist of.
Speaker 1: This film. That's RIGHT so i don't know how we've avoided Watching A william forthlyfe movie up until now because his tons. Of Credits the american character actor who's made a career out of playing mostly heavies, and cops exactly like his role in. This film but he also played the Escape convict evil in nineteen Eighty Seven's. Raising arizona that great line, He's, like hi you're young and you got. Your health what you want with.
Speaker 3: The job he has the great scene where he holds up the general store to steal DIAPERS and i think he steals balloons and he says these blow up into, funny shapes and the, guy says not unless round.
Speaker 2: Is.
Speaker 1: Funny yeah so he's great, in that and that role like definitely stands apart from most of what he's, known for because other films of note include he played the Mutant Gangster flat top in Nineteen Nineties dick tracy and pops up in Three Different rob, zombie projects His two, Halloween Movies The, devil's rejects and also the EPISODE Of csi Miami That rob.
Speaker 3: Zombie directed it's hard for me to recommend any Of Those rob. Zombie Movies devil's rejects is a, little ROUGH but I Remember william forsyth being pretty great. In.
Speaker 1: It, Yeah yeah like he gets in there and he does. His thing it. Very, dependable oh we Have another oscar. Winner here We Have louise fletcher playing The Character. Elizabeth DEAN she's i guess what, she's LIKE a ceo or something of the company.
Speaker 3: That she's the, police commissioner a. Police, Commissioner, OKAY yeah i Feel Like louise fletcher is a. Great actress absolutely wasted here is like the character has nothing. To do she just stands around being the authority figure in.
Speaker 1: Several. Scenes yep she lived nineteen thirty four through twenty, twenty two best known for a role in nineteen Seventy Five's One flu Over The, cuckoo's nest for which she Won A Best Supporting Actress. Academy award also known for nineteen Eighty sevens flowers In the attic and episodes OF such tv SHOWS As d space Nine. And Shameless, all right we Also Have william Fitchner playing wallace In this born nineteen. Fifty Six another william, character actor this one best known for playing kind of a mix authority figures and also slimy. Suit types his credits include nineteen Ninety, eight's armageddon two Thousand Four, words crash and Twenty Fourteen's Teenage Mutant, ninja turtles in which he plays a version Of. The shredder that's.
Speaker 3: Weird, casting yeah, once again Nothing Against. William fitchner he's doing what. He CAN but i don't even know why this. Character exists does this character have any distinct role to play in?
Speaker 1: The? Story yeah does this character do anything that could not have been combined into. Another, CHARACTER yeah i don't, think so, oh man but we also have, This Character. Clyde riley you mentioned that the developers of, the TECHNOLOGY the, vr technology were working out some of. The kinks this guy was definitely working out some kinks with. The technology played by The EXCELLENT. Kevin j O'Connor born nineteen, sixty three great creep, character actor who of course plays a creep in. THIS film i.
Speaker 3: Feel like he was on a role in the nineties of playing various kinds, of squirming.
Speaker 1: Pathetic, dweeves yes frequently Cast By stephen sommers and Such films is nineteen, Ninety Eight, deep rising nineteen ninety Nine Is, the mummy and then later on two thousand And Fours. Van helsing but he's also worked steadily in a lot of high quality, mainstream productions like the Likes Of Paul Thomas Anderson's There Will be blood in two thousand, And Seven the master in. Twenty twelve you also might recognize him from another nineteen ninety, Five Film Clive barker's Lord, of illusions in which he plays The Magician. Philip swan what was his role In, THE mummy i Haven't Seen the mummy in. So, long Oh he's benny In.
Speaker 3: The mummy he's. The guy so This Is the Mummy With brendan Fraser And, rachel weiss also from the year nineteen.
Speaker 1: Ninety nine but.
Speaker 3: His thing in the movie is that he like he's. A coward, he's like while everybody else is being dashing and rushing, into danger he's always running away from danger and trying to save. His skin as so he is a comic relief. COWARD character i remember THINKING after I Watched the mummy one time we were joking in. MY house i thought a good photoshop job would be to Do A People Magazine Sexiest man alive cover from like nineteen, ninety nine, two thousand the. Millennial style but it's just O'Connor in character From, the mummy and It. SAYS benny i mean no Offense to kevin. Connor personally it's just like he plays these pathetic dweeb characters, very well and In the mummy his vices cowardice in virtuosity, and jeez It's.
Speaker 1: Lust, yep yeah we'll come back, to him. All right we have This Character, john donovan who's not in it for very long Played By kostas mandolar born nineteen. Sixty five i'm only mentioning him, Because, apparently mandolar we're going to play a pivotal role in The later. SAW sequels i had asked My Friend david streepy about this because he's he's really up On the, saw movies the, soap opera noess, of them not so much the murder. Of them but, he, says quote the back half of the franchise can't happen, without him so.
Speaker 3: Fair enough he's a load bearing.
Speaker 1: Element, exactly oh and then We Have kaylee quoko playing The Character, karen carter a little girl in this born nineteen. Eighty five this little girl would go on To become penny On The Big. Bang theory i'm.
Speaker 3: Not A Big bang, theory WATCHER so i don't know, the character but when she shows up as the child in, this movie you just like instantly, are like, oh no the conversation with this child is going on, too long and that means definitely the child will be in peril in the, third.
Speaker 1: Act where you're going to get Into A gene siskal situation with.
Speaker 3: This Character Yeahs russell crowe is going to kidnap her and tire her to a bomb like we saw on. The flashback it's.
Speaker 1: Very. Predictable yeah quoco has been in a bunch of interesting Projects Post Big, bang THEORY Including TVs The, flight ATTENDANT which i. DID watch i thought she was very good. In that she Also Voices harley quinn on The Current harley quinn. Animated series, Oh, Cool Oh tracy lord's. Is back we talked about Her. In blade she's one of the vampire Henchmen. In blade here she Played A media, Zone SINGER so i think she's sort of playing. Herself here this is another film where we have some major nineties, rave ENERGY and i think that's like where she was at this point, With her like, You know reinventions is a, musical act and so she kind of plays herself here performing The Track, fallen angel which is also on.
Speaker 3: THE soundtrack i was going to talk about, this later but you kind of can't have a, really Complete coherent cyberslot movie without a techno. Club scene you always have to. Have one not all the movies, have one but when you don't, have one you feel. Its absence it's like the movie, is impure it.
Speaker 1: Is, Incomplete yeah like people Watch the matrix and, they're like where's the club scene, and there and everyone, was, like well we got to do that in the sequel and.
Speaker 3: They, did no there is a club scene In. The, matrix well it's only. Very brief it's at the beginning in the, real world when, they're, like okay they like some friends Coming To keanu. Reeves's apartment they take him out to a CLUB and i think He meets. Trinity there it's only it goes by in a.
Speaker 1: Few, seconds okay it's been a While since i'm the cusp of Rewatching, the MATRIX and i mainly remember there's definitely like a real world rave scene in, the sequel or maybe the. THIRD one i. Can't remember one of the two sequels where, they're, like hey it's the eve Of The, big battle let's have a rager and.
Speaker 3: THEY do i still haven't seen. The sequels, OH.
Speaker 1: What I guess i'm on the cusp of rewatching the sequels, as Well so i'll. Report, back okay. All, right finally the composer Here Is christopher young born nineteen, fifty eight And essentially young built an electronic orchestral score here around the movie's needle drop score of mostly electronic dance music with some rock and Even A peter gabriel track, thrown IN and i WOULD say I think young does a pretty seamless. Job here the soundtrack features music by the Likes Of Live, Black Grape, Juno Reactor Tricky, William Orbit, London beat Lords, Of Acid, Tracy Lords, Debbie Harry, the beg's and Again That party man Track From. Peter gabriel co Written By.
Speaker 3: Tory Amos The party man track is surprisingly, emotionally gripping like, you, know oh you really feel the strain in. His voice it's a weird thing to hear right after you just saw them Like destroy sid six point seven's personality module by having it run over by a track after, you know they had to like shoot a. COMPUTER programmer.
Speaker 1: I guess i'm Your. Party, MAN yeah. I believe it's a track That the gabriel and company did for, this production was later collected on an album that collected different songs that he did for different, film productions.
Speaker 3: And has the same title as a song From The prince. Batman, soundtrack yes it seems to Refer To Jack, nicholson's joker but it's not the. SAME song i checked, all right let's dive in the plot. Of virtuosity so the opening titles are made of pixels that slither in and out. Of form the, opening track by, the Way is It's A big day In the north By the English Band, black grape which is a powerfully nostalgic. SOUND rob i don't know if you felt the SAME way, i did but, hearing this it's like A Nineties english you might call this jazz pop or maybe, pop funk that sort. Of sound it's got something in it like. ELECTRONIC saxophone i mainly encountered this type of music through, movie SOUNDTRACKS so i associate it with seeing movies in the theaters in.
Speaker 1: The, nineties Yep, absolutely.
Speaker 3: Sorry we just had an extended a Side off mike where we're talking about what genre of music, this is and we did not come to. A conclusion so maybe we'll revisit that in, the future maybe for. Listener mail, But anyway so what's actually happening in the Opening scene when the credits, are done we pop up in, a sleek futuristic train station full of steel and sterile, white lighting and it's filled with people dressed. Almost identically everybody is it's like men in gray suits with, black ties. Carrying briefcases they're walking around synchronized, in pairs and the only people who don't match are two men in blue full body leather police uniforms wearing wearing, black, caps boots. And gloves so we watched these two policemen step cautiously off of an elevated train onto. The platform they're, looking around and one of the Men Is. Denzel washington this is, Our Hero. Parker, barnes now while both men, look vigilant we quickly Realize that barnes is the more assured of. The two he's being cautious, and observant and the other guy seems a little. More afraid and the other, guy, GOES man i can't get over how different, we Look and, barnes says maybe it's. The UNIFORMS so i think this opening is supposed to be a bit of a, fake out like you're supposed to wonder what the are talking, about here why everything looks a. Little odd, BUT this i think really does not work because it's obvious they're in a virtual. Reality world you can guess this if you've seen. The trailer and it's even more obvious because you keep seeing people like glitching and turning into pixels. And. Stuff, yeah yeah so they did not have me going. Here anyway they start running around looking, for somebody and eventually they end up in this business district plaza where there is a green floating cgi head made out of polygons giving a news report about a bunch of. Gruesome crimes i'm pretty sure It's Actually russell crow's doing the voice of, this thing but in a kind of tight, newscaster cadence and he says the three adjectives which best describe this killer, are, sadistic intelligent. And dangerous what is?
Speaker 1: That spell? SPELL said i thought we were going to say stink, stank stunk but that would have been. Great too this is six.
Speaker 3: Point Seven so denzel eventually traces their quarry To a. Japanese restaurant he knows to look there because he looks over the restaurant entrance on the building and sees an emoticon smiley face like the colon parentheses smiley face over. The entrance it's, a Joke and sid six point seven. Likes chokes and when we First, find sid he is repeatedly eating a piece of sushi that regenerates every time he picks it up off the plate and. Eats IT so i think it, suggests that, you know here in, this world no matter how how much, he eats he never. Gets full it's like he's unsatisfied with the intangible pleasures of the.
Speaker 1: FAKE world i. LIKE this i also like how the NPCs are like glitching as they eat. Their sushi they're just kind of like sushi floating into. Their mouth so this is definitely the section of the section of, the picture one of the sections of the picture in the digital world where the roughness of the digital effects is one of the charms and. Absolutely works doesn't feel dated at all, because like this is exact exactly the look they were.
Speaker 3: Going, for yeah and so this of course turns into a big. Gunfight scene both the COPS and sid just start blasting everywhere with, machine guns AND the npc is eating in the restaurant mostly appear to not notice this and they just keep sitting at. Their tables so in, this world by nineteen, ninety nine virtual reality has nearly one hundred percent immersion and totally realistic, graphical FIDELITY but npc behavior has like not quite reached the level of The mid grand theft auto games where people at least like scream and run away when.
Speaker 1: Something explodes but, you know this is how the mid grand theft auto, games felt when the mid grand theft atto games felt out like they felt like this level, of IMMERSION like i actually Live in miami in the nineteen like, you, know.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, so anyway this fight GOES on sid and the cops keep shooting at. Each other at one point it is Revealed That russell crowe has like caught and electrocuted the. OTHER cop i think you see him on ice and like a. Sushi tray and at one point they borrow a Page from Speed and barnes gets the upper hand by shooting a. Digital hostage he will. Later explain they later Are, like barnes why did you shoot? The hostage that doesn't make. Any sense but then he has a. Clever answer, he's like the hostage. Wasn't real didn't think, Of.
Speaker 1: That, Sid yeah because what we're going to learn shortly is this is a training simulation for. Police OFFICERS but i really have, to add, like clearly for cinematic, police officers there's nothing in this training that indicates any kind of like actual, police training any kind of procedure. Or, anything yeah it's just like what if you had A big hollywood action scene with a super. Criminal.
Speaker 3: Exactly yeah so at the end, Of this sid gets the upper hand in the fight and he starts Choking out Barnes until barnes like, glitches out which looks, super funny and then he sort of fades out, of existence like he's being sucked out OF the, vr world and we're treated to a shot OF a cgi bullet Wound on sid's body rapidly healing with classic electrical zap z. App fully but then our human characters come out OF. The vr so we zoom out into a room in the real world in, meat space where We see sid standing there in his green suit on A giant, Tv screen so like in the virtual, reality studio there's a, huge screen it's like fifteen, feet tall where we see what's happening in the, virtual world and we immediately hear the sounds of like men groaning, in agony and we see them writhing IN their, vr seats and an automated voice is, saying warning subjects exceeding the maximum dose of. Neural, information now maybe we should briefly hear comment on what it looks like when you see the people in the physical space IN the. VR rigs i thought This was it's also quite funny because they're like jiggling around and miming the motions they do in the. Virtual world like there's a part later where We see denzel running in the, rig yep and he's like pumping his arms and legs but not, going anywhere and it's.
Speaker 1: Hilarious, that yeah it really. Looks hilarious later when, they're, running yes here, you know they're just squirming. In pain, so, yeah yeah it looks a bit goofy.
Speaker 3: Later, on yeah so they're strapped into these dangling like combine dentist CHAIRS wearing.
Speaker 1: Vr devisors they're not.
Speaker 3: Going anywhere and then also you see a little computer read out that shows A three d representation of the player's heads and there are like these red and yellow explosions inside. The, skulls fortunately It seems denzel gets out just. In time he's, like rattled but. He's okay but the, other guy, uh oh the other guy is having. Violent seizures he gets pulled off onto a hospital gurney and you see them like doing a defibrillater on him and you learn.
Speaker 1: He, dies yeah they try really hard for darn near ten seconds to, save him but then laup roll. Him out he's.
Speaker 3: Done for also in, the scene we meet basically all of the film's. MAJOR characters i don't think there's anybody major we have to. Meet later we already talked about. Them earlier all of the, various functionaries commissioners and. Company guys i'm not gonna dwell, on them but they're all standing. Around watching you can kind of group them as like who's good and who's bad based on. Their reaction you've got the good guys like the police Chief And kelly, lynch's Character Doctor. Madison carter they're concerned about the. Test subjects, they're, like oh get those men out. Of there he's going. Into shock and then you've got the kind of middle to, bad guys like the. Indifferent Characters That's william Fitchner And. Louise fletcher they're just kind of standing there. Watching coldly and at Some point, dean said there's like some very klutzy exposition Dialogue Where louis fletcher's character says virtual reality was supposed to be a safe place to train my law. Enforcement officers and one Of the williams, is like that's why we were using convicts to ferret out any glitches in. The system and they have this exchange is they're driving away in a golf cart by, the way and then finally we meet this the obvious, Bad Guy darryl lindenmeyer that again is Played By, steven spinella who looks confusingly Similar To, William fitchener like they look alike and dress.
Speaker 1: The same it's almost like they accidentally cast both actors as the same character and, they're, like, well crap we've got to pick one and just make a role for the. Other, guy, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah Yeah william fitchener also could have played this.
Speaker 1: Other guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah but he's like the creator OF the vr system and they're they're sort of grilling him about the. Fail safes he seems squirrely. And untrustworthy but we get some backstory in the scene. As well the Chief Tells, parker barnes, you know he acknowledges that they're, old friends and, he says it was good to see you in, uniform again even if it was only. Virtual, Reality meanwhile barnes is he's. Got insights he's like sid six. Point seven. He's CHEATING and i know he's CHEATING because i hacked the main frame before we, went in and he's not allowed to use electricity as, a weapon but he, did anyway and he goes and he like tries to show, the Chief, but lindenmeyer whose first Name is daryl by, The Way, Daryl lindenmeyer, he's, like no get away, from there and so obviously that's setting up.
Speaker 1: A conflict i want to mention that at this point in the, Real World denzel Washington's Character parker barnes has. Great hair he has like, really cool like futuristic. Feeling hair he's not going to get to keep this hair for the rest of, the PICTURE and i was a little disappointed.
Speaker 3: By, that yeah they give him a haircut before they send him out on a.
Speaker 1: Mission later why is his hair super cool and cultivated? In prison but then once, he's free. IT'S cut i, DON'T know i, DON'T know i.
Speaker 3: Don't know, But, anyway okay so they send him back. To prison there's one brief thing here where, they, show oh he's got a. Metallic limb he like goes through a scanner and, it's like, remember, that folks it doesn't look it just looks like a normal arm from, the outside but they show you'll scan as he's going through and it's apparently a. Metal Arm when barnes is sent back, to prison he randomly has to fight A. NEO nazi i did not understand why this OCCURRED when i first. Watched it it was almost like suggesting this fight was arranged by the powers, that be like they were trying to silence him ABOUT the vr program. Or SOMETHING but i don't think there's any follow through to, confirm THAT so i don't know why.
Speaker 1: This happened it's also, very stylistic so you could almost think we're back in, a simulation just because it does not look like you're it's a, FUTURE prison, i. Guess yeah and you don't see any of the. Inmates directly they're all behind like some sort of a like a some sort of a glass or, a screen so you just see.
Speaker 3: Their, silhouettes, Yes Yes so denzel goes into this. Big hall there's nobody else, in it all these silhouettes of prisoners lined up like an audience mocking and jeering. At him you only see them behind these. Silk screens and then from the opposite end of. The hall this gross guy with a white power tattoo and an improvised stabbing weapon comes out and then, they fight And then barnes defeats him with superior training and tactics as well as at least one brutal uppercut to, the groin and then a bunch of guards rush in and Beat up BARNS and i don't understand why.
Speaker 1: This, happened yeah it's so STYLISTIC that i was expecting him to Beat the nazi to death With An, apple macintosh but it IS how i. Went.
Speaker 3: Down okay then we go on to another scene with our. Bad guys this is let me tell you a, secret scene which is pretty. Pretty solid So Remember darryl lindenmeyer the Computer. Company creep he's IN the vr space and he walks up TO the cid screen where the screen is On and sid is in there playing a piano in a green satin suit in a Beyond the mind's eye dune sea landscape and tells him you, Know, What, Sorry sid i'm gonna have to. Deactivate you, HE says i know it was you who increased the neural. Sensitivity calibrations you murdered, that prisoner And then, SID says i can't CHANGE what, I. Am darryl i'm a fifty terabyte self evolving neural network double backflip off the. High platform i'm not a. Swan DIVE and i have to, tell you killing for.
Speaker 1: Real it was a.
Speaker 3: REAL rush i always. LOVE these a Lot of cyberslot movies have a monologue, like THIS like i am a masterpiece of. Evil evil i'm pretty sure job In lawnmower man has a speech a lot. Like this this one is. Relatively, short also when he lands after doing, his backflips he explodes into a bunch. Of bats and you, know what beyond, THE minds i had a. BAT swarm i think that must have been part of A standard cg package in. The Nineties because sid is not really associated. With bats it's, not like, you know what else does he have to do. With bats IT seems i don't. Know where, but anyway after, he says, YOU know i love killing. For real it was, really Good lynden, meyer goes Oh, my god and then the. Monologue continues it's. Quite good, sid Says what god would? That be the one who created you or the one who? Created me you see in, your World the lord giveth And the lord. Taketh away but in, my world the one who gave me life doesn't have. Any balls you are frightfully inadequate for, A deity DARRYL and i will not be.
Speaker 1: Shut, down.
Speaker 3: Okay so, that's corny but for what it is That, slaps, Yeah YEAH and i should add this whole sequence is just very.
Speaker 1: Well shot it's a great integration between the live action performance and the use of, the screens Which was i'm to understand all the screens in the film were. In camera I'm not i'm assuming at least some of it was not live. To screen leonard points out that a lot of skill went into making sure all these screens were set upright and, you know could be seen on camera in the.
Speaker 3: Optimal, Way yeah i'm impressed they achieved. That anyway so in, The scene, darryl says, You, know sid you cannot exist without the approval of. The authorities you are software and you need hardware to. Run On so sid comes up with. A plan what is? That plan, he says sacrifice? Your, queen ooh, cryptic meaning and then the camera kind of. CREEPS in i, like this there's this slow, creep in and, he says let me tell you. A.
Speaker 1: Secret. Yeah yeah the scene lands in an excellent Place here at that, Being said i'm not exactly sure what the. SECRET was, I mean i don't need, to know because the scene still connected on an emotional level and certainly established our villain and some semblance of his plot with his creator. Turned WORSHIPER but i have some guesses what the secret, might be but it's not. Really clear maybe we can come back, to that.
Speaker 3: All right so we also get the Scene where barnes meets With Doctor Madison Carter. Kelly lynch, she like. Comes in they have an interview in, the prison. Introduces herself she's a criminal Psychologist And william forsyth asked her to do a Profile on barnes that may be useful in reducing. His sentence so. They talk she asks him about. The fight he says he was. Defending himself she asks him about whether he was attracted to violence as. A child, he's, like yeah, Three stooges wiley coyote. Was great, Nice answer and as they, keep talking it starts to seem like what she's really interested In Is. RUSSELL crowe, i mean what's everybody INTERESTED in i think she wants to write a book on the criminal Genius of sid six. Point seven so she starts kind Of quizzing denzel about his. Virtual enemy, she's like how did you know he'd be In the? Japanese Restaurant and barnes explains what an.
Speaker 1: Emoticon.
Speaker 3: Is yeah we also hear get the first Hints of barnes's, tragic backstory which gets revealed in a trickle throughout. THE movie I think i'm going to cut to the chase and just summarize the whole thing here so we don't trickle. It in so the Deal is barnes was some kind of elite detective on the case of a Man Named, matthew grimes which They call they say he was a quote, political TERRORIST and i like how they specify a political terrorist to make it clear he's not like a. Culinary terrorist but if he's a, political terrorist what were? His politics that is not. Really clear at one point we see him speaking to the media about the haves and, have nots but MOSTLY that i. Don't know that's back to THE thing i said at the beginning about like cultural objects just feeling like they're meaningless, In themselves like he could have inserted any kind of political rhetoric there and it would be the.
Speaker 1: Same, thing yeah this this particular detail of, his backstory like the basic shape. Of, it okay some some sort of a killer took out. His, family yeah, you know obviously that's a necessary part of what they're. Building here but all the details about this, GUY just i, don't know they're not. Very, convincing, like yeah like we could have we should have known less, about it because what we do learn is not convincing or certainly doesn't have as much of an.
Speaker 3: Emotional impact it has a real anti verisimilitude about his. Political terroristiness it suggests more that he just like simply loved crime. And, murder yeah and, so anyway but they tell the story of how this Guy kidnapped barnes's wife. And child he put them in a booby trapped room so That when barnes came to, rescue them it would trigger, a bomb and the bomb killed. His family and it's also The reason barnes now has the. Bionic arm And so carter is like asking him questions about like his backstory in, the scene and we get to learn that we see that he is a haunted.
Speaker 1: Broken man.
Speaker 3: All, right now from here we move on To the. Sheila scene so we're back IN the, cid warehouse, you know WHERE the vr world is projected on the, big screen and currently the person in here is a geeky Roboticist. Named Clyde HERE'S. Kevin, j O'Connor and he's playing would you call this? Sexy, Chess yes like like they're playing a, chess game moving around THESE giant cgi pieces on. A board but he's playing against this blonde seductress Character named sheila three, point two and she's like stretching out on the chase long and her. Silk pajamas so while like the big chest pieces zoom around and, she's, Like, oh clyde, YOU know i really would like you to come visit me IN the. Vr world there are so many games we. Could Play and clyde is basically drooling at. The, screen meanwhile the creepy Computer guy daryl comes up behind him and, he's like, You, know clyde she's. Very interactive here they sort of imply THAT the vr chairs that are being used in the police training simulator earlier that day have some kind of. Sexual interface we never see specifics on what these peripherals would. Look like i'm really curious how this was going to be used for. Training purposes and by, the way, once again no Offense to kevin, j O'Connor but i feel like they really go out of their way to make, him grow like come off. As gross he's filmed slightly from below while he's leering at, the screen so we're like looking a bit up his nose and seeing his wet. Front teeth they're like wet with spit and shining in, the light and he's just gazing like he's in a trance at. The screen And then clyde, is, like, Oh, YEAH darryl i need to use, your Gear but darryl, tells, him, no, No no i've got a. Better idea you are a, nano ROBOTICIST and i know that you have created the technology TO three d print a nanotech android out of, Blue goop so why don't you use your blue goop machine To make sheila three point TWO the vr model into a FULL three d robot in the. Real world AND then i guess y'all can. GET married i, Don't.
Speaker 1: Know so this is. So, Ridiculous obviously it's like you're storing the technology to print bodies for digital beings right now to the place where you store your digital mass murder. Of. Beings yes but then also it's like he's, Putting this darrel's putting this Together. For Clyde like clyde, was like, YOU know i could turn out a woman for all of my. Creepy lust i'd never thought about. That before this is my, life's WORK but i never put.
Speaker 3: This together you're, EXACTLY right i mean once like, and also this character is depicted as he has no attributes other than dozen nanotechnology robots and. Experiences, lust yeah so you might think those would connect in, his mind because that is all his mind is as. A character, but, Yeah anyway clyde agrees and then walks off looking kind of grimly determined in a very. Funny way And so darryl hangs back To grab sheila's quote module from the. Computer bank this is an important mcguffin in. The MOVIE every vr character has a little like plastic polyhedron that's got their brain. Inside, It oh darryl pulls the switcheroo and instead Of taking, sheila's module HE takes sid six.
Speaker 1: Point seven and then he Just kicked sheila underneath the, you know, some, furniture, WHICH yeah i thought was very, disappointing because first, OF all i kind Of wanted sheila to have a chance to be born to the. Real, world yeah but also imagine Like the cringey comedy that could have resulted if we have like a stinger at the end where police are going into train and they're going Up against shila instead of a. Super, criminal oh that would be.
Speaker 3: FUNNY too i thought maybe you were, gonna, say like What if sheila, was created but instead of just becoming a, sex robot she's the one who has to hunt down sid six. Point, seven, yeah yeah. All, right anyway we move on to the nano. Robotics lab clyde shows off a, robot snake which you think is a real snake, at first like he shoves it In lynden, meyer's face but then he cuts it in half with some shears and reveals it is made of Blue goop, and then critically for, the plot we learn that if you cut part of, it off since it's made out, of silicon it can regenerate itself by absorbing glass it finds in. The environment so the snake like rebuilds its severed tail by reaching out these blue tendrils that suck up glass from. A beaker, and honestly this premise sets up several of the best moments in the Movie where sid will get injured and then later he'll start like sucking glass out of windows while he's got like the goop arm in the window and he's making this. Rage face or at one point he's literally like eating fistfuls of glass in the middle of a car chase in. The scene clyde, also, explains quote if you separate the character module from the, polymer matrix you get.
Speaker 1: Nano.
Speaker 3: Death yeah, so anyway they start growing the robot inside of, a pod which is a good.
Speaker 1: Set piece, OH yes i love all this stuff because then, practical effects it's this blue like it's it's, it's inorganic but it has this kind of organic nature. To it it's like this like weird blue alien egg that this being is. Growing inside and then when it finally opens and there's like. Blue goo, of course what rises up initially is just this kind of like neutral. Blue, humanoid oh has kind of like, A oh i, don't know almost like a crash test dummy kind of vibe, to it like it's not completely, finished yet to the point that our creep researcher here is, like, like oh it's. It's you i'm ready. To party but then it finishes. Its form it like everything smooths out digitally and it Becomes not Sheila but sid six, point seven naked, terminator style.
Speaker 3: Who Immediately kills clyde like it like.
Speaker 1: Chokes.
Speaker 3: Him yeah, the pod by, the way it looks like a cross between Between a venus fly trap and a. Pool float, and yeah the being is the freakiest looking thing in the movie Is when sid comes out not.
Speaker 1: Fully, finished yeah but that's why if you look through the credits for, this film you'll see somebody like credit with like, creature effects because it is essentially like it's somewhere blurring the line between creature.
Speaker 3: And, technology yeah and by, the way and, The Scene russell crowe is really stretching his, ham legs just goofing it. Up stupendously, You know clyde says He's, like sheila but It's Obviously russell crowe and He Instead russell crow, Says No i'm oedipus and then. Chokes him and then meanwhile The darre old character is watching seemingly in horror and then runs away. And hides but why is? He horrified didn't he do this?
Speaker 1: On, purpose yeah this is exactly what you wanted. To do what did you think was going to?
Speaker 3: Happen here so we get to See Naked russell crowe having fun feeling gravity for the. First time he like kind of, Shifts around, he's like. Ooh gravity he also picks up a random knife and starts doing naked tai chi with a knife in. His hand then he recreationally cuts off his own finger and then licks the blue goop, and, says huh that was a. Good year like it's like it's. A wine that's, the joke but you, know What It's russell krow kind of. Sells it even the bad jokes sort. Of.
Speaker 1: Land.
Speaker 3: Yeah oh and then also in, the scene we get A line i think it was obviously meant for. The trailer it's sort OF an i got to get me one of those Moments where sid looks directly into the camera, AND says I think i'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna like, it here and he does like. It here that's that's pretty much what happens for the next like forty minutes.
Speaker 3: Or SO so i have a question about. The plot maybe you knew something about This rob is there something it felt like something was missing in the subplot of the villains here they would explain why the computer company GUY wanted sid six point seven unleashed into. The world there are some scenes that kind of, imply conspiracy like motivated. By business there ARE other, i mean but only. Very vaguely there are other scenes that to me implied the computer guy is like a psychotic acolyte of the RELIGION of sid six. Point, seven LIKE am i remembering? Right that one time later he's shown in a motel room decorated Like A charles manson.
Speaker 1: Murder.
Speaker 3: Scene, Yeah yeah and it's not like a, crime scene it's like his own. Motel room and it implied just he just decorated it that way because he. Likes it like just major confusion on what is the motivation of the non virtual meet, human villains what was their goal and who's in?
Speaker 1: ON it, i mean it seems like his direct creator here just comes to worship. His creation but we don't really get enough details on how this comes, to pass, you know we're just sort of left to assume that's. The case this is an EXAMPLE where i probably NEED well i don't. NEED to i would probably get some ANSWERS if i read, the novelization oh for, the movie which Was By, terry bisson who has come up on the show before because we've had a couple of people right in about. His work he Won A hugo award And A nebula award for the Short story they're made out. Of meat, i'm assuming as is typical, with novelizations he probably had to fill in the gaps here and create some connective tissue for. These characters, but yeah back to, your point why is any of? This, happening like why really did you orchestrate the escape of? This being why did you help it print itself in physical forms so it can run on a rampage like. You clean you seem to like him and you're into what he's doing but also scared, by him but also scared. By, him yeah it's like it seems like we needed him to be killed by the creator here as well if he because it's not like he's he's Sort of frankenstein's here where, he's, Like ah i've gone too far and, runs away but then he continues to worship.
Speaker 3: HIS creations, i, Yeah anyway so at this point in, the movie the premise has. Been delivered, YOU know sid six point seven is unleashed in physical form upon, our world the world of nineteen. Ninety nine in the Words Of william, forsyth Quote somehow sid six point seven got himself out of the computer and at this point only one man can, stop him Because again barnes is the only prisoner who Ever beats sid IN the. Vr Training so barnes has granted conditional early release from prison so he can find And. Stop sid now at, this point what is a renegade cop who gets results always need a, New partner so he's getting paired Up With, madison carter the. Criminal psychologist so few scenes to. Talk about from the middle portion of, the movie a lot of chasing around an investigation in that there's sort of a detective Portion where Barnes and carter investigates some crime scenes WHERE like sid has done random murders and one of them is staged as a copycat Of The tate. Lobbianca murders but they end Up At darryl, lindenmeyer's house the guy Who programmed sid in a SCENE that i found, extremely funny because so they LEARN how sid six point seven. Was created they Go into lindenmeyer's computer and they're like looking at THE previous, sid models and these heads just start popping up on the. Computer screen and the first one we see Is a hitler head that's like A three d sort of polygon model, of it so it's got like a little, like mustache but it's a. Little polygon and then they're showing serial killers, and Stuff and, carter, says quote this is.
Speaker 1: Using some kind of.
Speaker 3: Genetic algorithms sid's too complex. To design lindenmeyer had to grow him up psychologically like a real person with multiple. Personality disorder the program learns like, a child but. Much faster it's like he put all these killers in sid's nursery and let him watch them cannibalize. Each other And then, barnes says and only the strong. Ones survive but what does that mean in this context the strongest serial Killers Or hitler's so.
Speaker 1: On, one level absolutely this is technobabble that doesn't really stand up to, close scrutiny but it also does kind of neatly forecast some of The topics we've been discussing in the past several YEARS about ai and about about training on content and how sometimes the content that these models train on are not the best models of human behavior or, human expression and so it's, you know, it's silly but it also rings a little bit true in.
Speaker 3: Some, ways yeah but this is, more like what if you limited the reinforcement, training exclusively the training data is only a pyramid of TWO hundred cgi serial killer Heads with hitler in.
Speaker 1: There, TOO well, i mean, in retrospect why would we? Do this but now we're kind, of like WELL that I guess i, could happen.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 3: Know yeah so also in, The scene barnes figures out that one of the heads in THERE inside sid belonged to the guy who murdered. His family there is a lot made, of, like oh that would be, extra bad, you know much Scarier Than ted Bundy. And hitler but much is also, discussed about like whether this personality is DOMINANT within sid. OR not i found that a not very. Fruitful.
Speaker 1: Subplot. Yeah same.
Speaker 3: The decor Of lynden MEYER'S apartment i thought was. Really funny it's like a Cross Between patrick bateman's apartment and the house In. The hunger so there's a lot Of Soulless wall street furniture and computers, and stuff but also a single purple rose in a glass. Bell jar now, after you let's talk about the, club, scene because as, we said every one of these movies has to have a techno dance. Club scene what would you So like sid six point seven goes to, a club he fights his. Way in how would you describe this?
Speaker 1: Club? Rob, OH well i mean it's just absolute cinematic portrayal of the nineties. Rave situation, you know, the lights, the outfits the Presence Of. Tracy lord everything is in, place here and we get that great scene where he's like strong arming his way to the front of the line to. Get in it's it's very like futuristic. And HIP but i do generally like the, music here.
Speaker 3: Good track there's, live music and they've got like A STAR trek dj station with these milky white orbs instead, of turntables so you can see them like doing record scratches with.
Speaker 1: The, orbs yeah infrared footage of everything's gone to so, many, screens yes.
Speaker 3: Screens everywhere there are people walking around with video cameras that are projecting a live feed with crazy color effects onto the huge screens on, the walls just cables dangling everywhere and like running to the helmets that are being warned by. The, DJs also you access this club through a, freight elevator so it's like a basement club you have to go down to through. The elevator ONE thing i thought, is, that oh, YOU know i went to a concert earlier, this week and, it's like this is kind of like going to a concert today because you see people holding up their devices recording the performers standing right in front.
Speaker 1: Of, them yeah that's a. Good point that's a. Good point, but yeah we'll. DO that i mean it only the world only makes sense if you're, viewing it experiencing it through, the digital through, the technology. You know but in, this, case yeah the Performer Is tracy lord's up there with what one or two DJs. On hand she's kind, of singing kind of, dancing around wearing this kind of like matrixy. Latex attire and then, income said and we get this one moment cinematography at. ITS finest i guess where, they're like what if we shot Sid Through tracy lord's legs, from behind like through her thighs from behind and that's. The, shot YEAH so i giggled. AT that i, was, like, okay yeah a little over. The.
Speaker 3: Top, yeah also the fashion in the scene, is chaotic, we get but we do get an early glimpse of a guy in a purple double breasted Suit that sid is going to steal and wear.
Speaker 1: For much of.
Speaker 3: The film, but again coming back to the kind of themes we talked, about earlier there's something kind of interesting here where in, this scene it becomes Apparent that sid loves that people are aiming cameras at him in the club and projecting him onto the, big screen and. He smiles he's like overwhelmed. WITH joy i think, Sincere joy like he's not making, a joke and, HE says i. Am beautiful and this is one of the themes of the MOVIE that i thought was actually kind of. Accidentally interesting there's something about the information environment in the setting that says there's. A desire there's like a link between the desire to be famous and the center of everybody's attention and sadism. Or PSYCHOPATHY like i haven't fully fleshed out exactly what, this means but it's like a latent assumption of the film that is not just the common assumption that there's something kind of tacky or shallow or guided about wanting to be the center of, everybody's attention or especially wanting to be the center of everybody's attention as mediated through technology like video And, the internet but actually goes a step farther and suggests the desire for attention like this is related to a kind, of, dominance strive a desire to have power over others and even inflict pain, On them and that hit home for. Me, SOMEHOW again i don't want TO suggest i think this was explicitly thought out in, the script but it feels like a potent theme the movie. Stumbles. Into here there's something about this obsession with like being on camera and having people far away all watching you at the same time that is like a kind of power and domination.
Speaker 1: And sadism, Yeah yeah and they do come back to it later on.
Speaker 3: As, well anyway in The scene sid gets a drink made for him By A johnny Cab and sid is like, to think you constitute one of. My ancestors and then in personally.
Speaker 1: That's one of a couple of moments in here though With, the ANDROIDS where i, was like they're kind of getting into some of the Territory That ridley scott would later get Into with david And The, alien prequels but with less nuance and and more just. Outright meanness. That's.
Speaker 3: Funny. Yeah uh he starts rampaging in, the club, of course and then this will be a type of scene. That recurs he takes, everybody hostage forces the camera to like.
Speaker 1: Film.
Speaker 3: Him uh and then in one.
Speaker 1: Funny Bit cracy lords, gets away though she does, run away the guy behind her, gets shot but she.
Speaker 3: Makes it and then he starts he starts making everybody record screams that he can play back and remix AT the. Dj station this scene is, really Something And russell crowe is just like roaring with. Improvisational.
Speaker 1: ENERGY yeah i mean it's a weird, mix though because on, one hand like a scene where someone terrorizes a bunch of people with, a, gun yes IT'S like i don't. Like it but on the, other hand so many other aspects of this sequence are so over. The top that and and the performance that the center of it is is so over the top you kind of like it.
Speaker 3: AS well i mentioned this earlier that one of THE ways i think this movie kind of really sits weird is a. TONAL mismatch i think this is actually True with barnes's backstory, as well the thing about like his family. Being murdered it's. A weird it's weird Because the barnes backstory is on one hand, like, hackneyed obvious overly familiar for this type, of character, you know. The copy he's taken it, too personal and at the same time it is excessively cruel and horrible for the context of this.
Speaker 1: Goofy MOVIE and i.
Speaker 3: Felt a similar way about a lot of, These scenes like the club scene is at once like goofy but also just a little. Too nasty it's, like both it's going off in.
Speaker 1: Both, directions, yeah YEAH so I think i think you're right there that the tone is.
Speaker 3: Off here, of course this all gets Interrupted when barnes, shows up and this leads to a shootout and a. Car chase i'm not going to narrate all the, action scenes but a lot of the rest of the movie follows. This format sid, goes somewhere he. Starts rampaging he wants to be. On camera he's, killing people, Taking hostages, barnes arrives there is a fight and, a chase and then sid, gets away and.
Speaker 1: Then they need to go, find him and they realize that he is going to go where the. Attention is he's going to go where the, media is and that's how we end up, following him, for instance to the to.
Speaker 3: The octagon, Oh, Boy okay, SO yeah i think we're near the end of our plot, recap here but we do have to talk ABOUT the.
Speaker 1: Ufc, scene YEAH so i. WAS expected. I, HAD again i hadn't seen virtuosity in, ITS entirety, I THINK but i was looking over the CAST and, i, noticed, Oh Well ken shamrocks, in this it looks like there's going to BE some. Ufc ACTION so i was prepared for some POTENTIALLY hammy ufc. Product INTEGRATION and i would have TO say i was a bit shocked by how negatively the FILM portrays MMA and. Mma, fandom.
Speaker 3: Yes virtuosity it DEPICTS the ufc as like a blood cult in which the audience are fanatical acolytes that chant in unison for death even as people are like murdered in the audience.
Speaker 1: Around, them yeah it's like they're a bunch, of bloodthirsty half naked savages who only pause in their chanting to violently attack or grope each other. Like that that's how the movie IS, presenting ufcee and even action in the octagon doesn't even resemble AN actual. Mma match it's like two different fights are. GOING on i think there's a ref, in there but it's just it's.
Speaker 3: Pure chaos it was only their ambitious image of what the future.
Speaker 1: Could, hold yeah And so sid shows up notices that like a pretty lady is on like the What the titan tron or whatever the heck the big screen. Is there he goes up and is creepy, towards her and then like pulls out, a gun does a backflip into, the octagon intentionally landing on his head, and back and then gets up and starts intimidating all the dudes in, the Octagon Including. KEN shamrock i was a little disappointed That The World's Most dangerous man didn't make a Move, on sid but.
Speaker 3: FAIR enough i don't know About Most dangerous. MAN'S status i Only Remember. Ken shameron wasn't he IN the wwf in? The nineties He, was, yeah okay THAT'S all.
Speaker 1: I remember he had some Matches, With vader so, it's like if he's gonna stand Up, to vader you think he'd stand Up. To sid but, you know, he's like, IT'S like i see you got blue blood coming out. Of you, Fair enough i'm, standing.
Speaker 3: Back smart, move ken don't be.
Speaker 1: A hero so basically the same thing is going to, happen, Here, Right yeah parker, shows up runs shoots, at him more, blue blood, more violence and then he. Gets.
Speaker 3: Away yeah, and NOW as, i mentioned OR maybe i didn't mention, this earlier there's a Whole thing i'm not gonna. Bother explaining in the middle of, The movie barnes gets framed for, a murder so he gets re arrested and all this. Stuff happens sid actually sets him free because he wants. To play it's Like the Joker. In batman, IT'S like i, need you you can. Delete. Me uh the climax of the film takes place in a skyscraper that is the home OF a tv station where there is a televised. Debate happening that's What draws sid there because, he's like he wants attention about a current political controversy. Over immigration this part kind of came out of nowhere and hit. Uncomfortably hard but so there's like a one GUY on tv saying like immigration breathes life into, the culture and another guy demagoguing against immigrants, and saying we got to close. The border And then sid shows up and does the. Same thing he, shoots people, takes hostages and takes over the.
Speaker 1: Live broadcast he takes, over it redubs it WHAT, Murder TV murder tv or DEATH.
Speaker 3: Tv, tv yeah and also has his own.
Speaker 1: Like logo yeah he brought a.
Speaker 3: Graphics package yeah he.
Speaker 1: REALLY did, I mean i guess he's a virtual reality thing so he can do that sort of sort.
Speaker 3: Of thing so as he torments and terrorizes the hostage, on air he's he's still he's like obsessed with checking out. His ratings, he's like look what What ratings? I'm getting, oh yeah the viewers. Love this they love the way you're screaming more tuning in. Every minute and once again this surprisingly interesting Theme linking sid's sadism and cruelty fundamentally with his desire for attention mediated, by technology and, in fact the good guys sort of defeat, him here at least in part distract him by cutting. The feed they like turn off the broadcast and limit his access to, his Audience and zid, hate this and this leads to a final chase and fight in the network Building between Barnes. And sid, of course as one could have guessed from, Developments earlier sid Has taken carter's, daughter hostage and they while they're, chasing around, they're like where's The girl and there's a there's a booby trap bomb and all that kind. Of STUFF but i, Don't, know rob are there any elements of the climax you want? To?
Speaker 1: HIT yeah i mean they get. It basically Parker and sid get, a big die hard sq battle on on top of, the Skyscraper and sid plummets through a whole bunch of glass panels and is impaled on like a million pieces, of glass And then parker goes down, to like, you know, check out see if. He's dead he's not. Dead yet we get a nice tight scene where he's trying To pull parker into the the sharp shards. Of glass he's regenerating off of, the glass, because remember eating glass and touching wounds to glass is how. He heals but there's a lot of repair work that needs to. Happen here and before he can, Do it parker reaches in through the back of his skull and rips out his little module and seemingly defeats. The villain but then, they're like but we don't know where the girl, is hidden and then we. GET it i thought this was a. Nice twist they like load him back up in the virtual they replay what, just happened but they let him get the upper hand so that he'll spill where the girl.
Speaker 3: Is, HIDING right i thought this was actually a pretty. Clever twist or where you See his, I'm, sorry yeah. That's right so what they need is Information. From sid so they. Killed him they defeated him, too early so they have to go back into the, virtual world trick him into thinking he's still in the real world so that he will spill, the beans, you know really give his villain monologue where he reveals, the Information which parker and Doctor and madison both that they work together to figure.
Speaker 1: That, out yeah so that. Was solid and of course we also get a Scene where sid realizes he's been caught and he jokes out, real hard and we get this scene with like multiple sid faces digital sid faces making angry expressions, Extreme, jobing, yes yeah but then the plot requires us to also disarm a bomb That The little girl's place of concealment is booby, Trapped with and this scene just feels very anticlimactic. To me, it's like we just had like a really awesome. Final fight we had this nice little twist on top of that, final fight but now we're just doing like a standard, you KNOW like tv show.
Speaker 3: Bomb, disartment yeah which wire? Is it and the final solution to the bomb Deactivation involves barnes using components from his. Bionic arm did you remember that he had a bionic arm at?
Speaker 1: THIS point i only thought of it when he ripped the module out of. THE head i, WAS like i guess because IT clearly i felt like we'd sprinkled this detail enough to where it would have to come back and, have MEANING and, i, THOUGHT well i guess that. Was it it was because he used the prosthetic arm to rip out, the module so it kind of surprised Me again, it's, like, oh okay this is this is how we're actually going to make use of.
Speaker 3: This detail he like pulls fiber optics out of his forearm and then like inserts them into the bomb to. Defuse it that's.
Speaker 1: Pretty.
Speaker 3: Good yeah also in the end when they, Defeat him BARNES destroys sid six point seven's Character, module bye throwing it off the top of. The, SKYSCRAPER man i FEEL like i would have done something a little. More, certain yeah, we do like follow up and we see it run over by, A truck so it's.
Speaker 1: All good.
Speaker 3: Sid's gone but wouldn't you would you want to make sure it. Was destroyed you don't even know where.
Speaker 1: It, lands yeah what it landed in the back of like a shipment of pillows, or SOMETHING or i. DON'T know i. Don't know there are so many ways that could have. Been saved or maybe it hits somebody in the head and gets embedded in. Their brain what, HAPPENS then i. Don't Know guess i'm your. Party man so that is virtuosity in all.
Speaker 3: ITS glory i feel like we still actually didn't hit everything that's potentially interesting. About it, BUT yes i will vouch.
Speaker 1: For it the.
Speaker 3: Viewing experience despite some, tonal mismatch some things that are just just go a little bit harder than they need to or a little bit nastier than they need, to be it is still a pretty, in fact, quite, funny nostalgic and.
Speaker 1: Enjoyable, experience yeah it Is a it's a movie that will make you laugh and it will make. You think there are various parts of this film that the do connect in interesting ways with where we are, now, technologically, socially politically.
Speaker 3: AND more i just want, to say one, last time hats Off to Russell. AND denzel I mean i. ADVOCATE this i think like a list actors should take the time to, do weird trashy little b movies and just go all, the way don't, hold back do give it.
Speaker 1: Your best absolutely, All right we're gonna go and close out this Episode Of Weird, house cinema but we would love to hear from everyone. Out there what do you Think? Of virtuosity did you see it back in the nineties when it, came out or do you at least remember. The trailers have you rediscovered it or watched it for the first time in. Recent years we would love to hear. Your thoughts as. A reminder Stuffed To Blow your mind is primarily a science and culture podcast with core Episodes on Tuesdays, and thursdays But on fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird Film On Weird. House cinema we've been doing this for one hundred and ninety, nine films and the next episode we do will be the Two Hundredth Weird house, Cinema selection so check back in and see what we finally decide on. For that and if you want to stay abreast of all the movies we've covered, thus far a great way to do it is to head on over to letterbox dot com our profile there Is weird house and you can find a nice list. Of everything do.
Speaker 3: You know what two? Hundred is when it's upside down?
Speaker 1: In?
Speaker 3: Dreams oh what?
Speaker 1: Is it IT'S double? O seven? IS it i?
Speaker 3: Don't know it's gonna say almost maybe it's, oohs, okay, Anyway huge thanks as always to our excellent Audio. Producer jjposway if you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or, any other to suggest a topic for, the future or just to, say hello you can email us at contact at Stuff to Blow your mind.
Speaker 2: Dot com Stuff To Blow your mind is Production. Of iHeartRadio for more podcasts From My, heart radio Visit the iHeartRadio App apple podcasts or wherever you listen to your. Favorite shows