Speaker 1: Thank you everybody so much for joining us on this park hopper episode of Magical Rewind. And this really is a hopper because we're not only hopping from movies to music, but we're also hopping networks, which we've never done before. We're hopping from Disney to Nickelodeon, which is the reverse of what I did.
Speaker 2: I hoped Nickelodeon to Disney.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's true.
Speaker 2: But I'm we're going backwards, so I'm.
Speaker 4: Into it, opening up another door for us guys here onway.
Speaker 1: You everything we can talk about here.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we're very excited because this band, I guess we should say because they're also actors, but this band is making a comeback and I think going on.
Speaker 3: Tour, yes, big tour.
Speaker 1: So we are very very excited. We have two of the members here, so two of the four pretty to have both James and Carlos from Big Time Rush, so help us welcome them. Hi, how are you both doing? Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 5: Get out of here, of course doing.
Speaker 2: We're good. We're so excited.
Speaker 1: You you're our first ever to jump ship and be from Nickelodeon. We were strictly Disney, but we were like, we can't not talk to you guys.
Speaker 2: You know what, there's always room for improvement.
Speaker 4: No, okay, we're starting this morning off with some fighting words.
Speaker 1: I was saying, this is we normally do Disney and then go and now we're going to Nickelodeon, which is the reverse of what I did, because I started on Nickelodeon and then went to the channel. I did what I was an old school Nickelodeon. I got slimmed on Nickelodeon back in the ear. That's how Nickelodeon I was, Yes see, but like for.
Speaker 6: So, I mean listen, full disclosure a huge fan, like, oh, thank you, we're talking with you. But what were you on Nickelodeon.
Speaker 1: I was on a show called Don't Just Sit There for three years where we were like a young Saturday Night Live. We had special guests and a band and all that cool kind of stuff.
Speaker 5: So yeah, so is this like before all that?
Speaker 1: Oh way before this was in nineteen eighty seven, I went up and was on the original you Can't Do That on television in Canada and had the slime.
Speaker 2: Drop on me and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, old you were like og og og Nickelodeon. But we're not here to talk about me. We can if you'd like. But there's so much going on for you guys right now, not just what you've been through, but you've got a whole bunch of new stuff coming up.
Speaker 2: I don't even know where to No, let's start at the beginning, Sabrina.
Speaker 1: We always do that, Start at the beginning.
Speaker 2: Let's start at the beginning, big time.
Speaker 1: Rush, Can you tell us a little bit about how you heard about this project? Was this were you singers that then were also actors? Were you actors that were also singers? Was this just a regular audition?
Speaker 6: Take us through everything, dude, I feel like every actor is like, I'll do it.
Speaker 7: I sin, I dance, I juggle.
Speaker 3: It's on my resume. It's on my resume.
Speaker 6: Me like back in the day when you would load up your resume and you're like, I can juggle, I can do.
Speaker 2: This horseback ride.
Speaker 8: Sure, yeah, right, exactly, Yeah, I could do any accent in the world.
Speaker 1: It just had all dialects and it's okay, that's fine, But.
Speaker 8: It was for us, it was literally an audition. It was a pretty crazy process. I know, every screen test and you know, look to get on any TV show is not an easy feat and often a crazy process, but this one in particular was two years where we all came in at different times. Logan and I were in the first round of auditions.
Speaker 2: They ever did.
Speaker 8: They took thousands of people from across the country, blew us in for that one, and I think the next two or three and hey, can you sing?
Speaker 2: Catch you with a singing coach? Can you dance? Get you the dancing coach? Can you act?
Speaker 8: They'd put us together in pairs of four, and we did a whole screen test, then they recast, did it again, then they recast.
Speaker 2: Carlos, you're in the second or third, third round of that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and then they picked four of us that didn't include Kendall. We shot a whole million dollar pilot without Kendle with another chapter, and then they.
Speaker 2: Said, yeah, it's good, but it could be better. Let's recast again.
Speaker 8: Oh oh, I mean, I'll say all that to say that, you know, we were hopeful after two years and four rounds of screens ask that this would work, and it could have not worked, but luckily it turned out to be the biggest live action premiere in the history of Nickelodeon.
Speaker 6: And I was back when people watched TV. I mean remember that, you guys. I mean, like y'all were you guys were in the prime of when kids actually tuned in. But for us, I think we got something like fourteen million kids just huge watching watching the premiere. Now you're lucky to get.
Speaker 5: Half a million. That's terrible.
Speaker 8: That's like, but you do a good TikTok and you get twenty million nights well, because that's the attention span now is like you got fifteen seconds entertained me.
Speaker 2: Oh man.
Speaker 1: So okay, so a two year kind of process the entire time going through. Were are you making friends? I mean you said the James that you were there from the beginning? So were you making friends with people where it's like we're going to do this show together and then they're gone and it's like, Okay, I guess we're going to go.
Speaker 2: To the next round.
Speaker 8: There are a couple people that I keep in touch with from then, So I don't want to say that I wasn't making friends, but I wasn't there to make friends, right, you know, we.
Speaker 2: Were there at audition like this was a life opportunity.
Speaker 8: So you're cool with everyone, but it's like the industry auditioning for yourself, so perhaps other people had to have different perspectives on it.
Speaker 2: But man, I mean we showed up and we're ready to work. Now.
Speaker 8: As it got further along, I think that changed a little bit. Like when there's you know, Logan and Carlos and the other guy were like, hey, this works pretty well. We felt it too, right, We're like, hey, something is working. And clearly, you know, three fourths of that worked well together.
Speaker 2: And so by the time.
Speaker 8: That Kendall came, he actually came back to the audition and he had known Logan. So there's a couple of little moments of I don't know if it's serendipity or coincidence or familiarity that we always want.
Speaker 2: Like we really like this pod, can we stick with this one?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 2: So we did fight for it eventually.
Speaker 8: The beginning, you know, you were there just like, hey, tell me where you want me to go? You need me to dancing, like I want to get the jokes.
Speaker 3: How old were you guys?
Speaker 5: Oh, what was it like? Eighteen ninths?
Speaker 3: Okay, so what was your guys' life?
Speaker 4: Obviously you guys were you know, in the in the business, auditioning all the time. What was your kind of regular life before this band finally got the the final mold together and the magic happened.
Speaker 6: So I I had I had just done a a reality show called Making Manudo.
Speaker 7: They were trying to they were trying to remake Manudo.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I remember this.
Speaker 7: It was called like Road to Manudo and then Making Manudo.
Speaker 6: But we ended up in a house or like a hotel in Miami for a whole summer, you know, dancing and singing and like you're doing the thing. And I got like seventh, you know, like I was like almost was seventh or eighth. I was like almost almost of the five. And I was really like bitter about the whole thing.
Speaker 5: So I was like, ah, screwboy bands. I'll never do boy.
Speaker 6: Bands again, like a really, really obnoxious seventeen year old, just like and then I get this audition. We go through the whole process and like James said, like we we we did a pilot, but there was a year between the pilot and shooting again, so we all basically like no one.
Speaker 5: Told us who they were recasting. So I go through all.
Speaker 6: This you know, trauma of this boy bed thing. I booked this thing and then it's like, cool, we'll call you. And then all we heard in the middle of this year was they're recasting someone.
Speaker 5: They didn't tell us.
Speaker 2: It's just a slow no y. So you weren't during the year you were. It wasn't like you were rehearsing and getting.
Speaker 5: To know you listen. I would put off.
Speaker 6: I would literally I went to the Boston Conservatory for a year, so I was like, I'm going to Broadway, but I still have to do all my regular classes. So I would put off doing like, you know, my essays, and I'd be like, dude, I just booked a TV.
Speaker 7: Show and they're gonna call me any minute, and.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna be and let me tell you.
Speaker 6: I finished the entire freshman year like but with that mentality, and then it'd be like the last week and I have to do all my paperwork and everything, but they called us, I think James what it was like July July of that next summer, so for me, right before going in for sophomore year, and they're like, hey, you're not the one that we're recasting, where I was just like, oh crap.
Speaker 8: One of the executives, Paula, who was the scariest one on the board then and now.
Speaker 2: She's like, you know, we love her. She we love her, She's like family.
Speaker 8: I mean, surely we did become, you know, like family with a lot of the people on our set. I got to say we had a great experience overall, but but objectively. And I've told her this and she didn't bat an eye.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you're the scariest lady I've ever met.
Speaker 8: We were up there and you would just scare not you know, unemotional, and just be like okay, thanks and like everyone else be smiling and happy and you weren't. And she'd go, I know, I'm good at my job.
Speaker 5: It's not the job, but.
Speaker 2: Anyways, I love her.
Speaker 8: She at one point casually was like, oh yeah, you had it since round one, And I was.
Speaker 2: Like, what you couldn't have told ball that to me? All times? I thought I had a job and lost a job. I had a job lost a job.
Speaker 8: So you know, we can laugh about it now, right, But you know, I was sleeping on couches to be in LA.
Speaker 2: I was driving up from sant I was just gonna ask if this was in LA. So this was in Los Angeles by this poor yeah.
Speaker 8: Okay, And it was at the point where I'm like, well, it's cost me so much in gas to get up here, Like, honestly, I think i'd save money if I just got a crappy apartment.
Speaker 2: I rented a room and I literally did that at seventeen.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 8: So I didn't go back and forth so much, and I was auditioning for other projects and there was one that came along. In fact, it was a Disney movie. I forget what it was. They came wrong, and I went to producers and I told my agents basically tell them I'm doing this.
Speaker 2: I need to work.
Speaker 8: And I remember it was that, I swear to god it was that same day or that same week the contract came through, Like, actually, we're ready to.
Speaker 2: Go with you guys.
Speaker 5: That's a nice you know, anything.
Speaker 2: To do with it.
Speaker 8: But I'm distinctly remembering like I'm kind of stuck in limbo with this thing, and like, I want to start my career, so you know, maybe I can thank Disney for getting me close to something else and there you go, Hey, nothing will get you signed to one of those companies, like the other company being interested in that, right, Hey, you really.
Speaker 3: You can't remember what Disney movie that was?
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 3: Was it a dcon?
Speaker 2: Truly?
Speaker 5: Was it?
Speaker 3: For the channel?
Speaker 2: Sabrina's not gonna be able to write it.
Speaker 8: I gotta know, I can't remember like the lines in my head of like what we're doing in walking it.
Speaker 2: Okay, it might have been a Xeno.
Speaker 5: No, I don't know, it was way before.
Speaker 2: But there's like four xenos.
Speaker 8: This is gonna drive you guys crazy, And I promise you I'm never gonna think about this again for different people.
Speaker 3: We get it, we get it.
Speaker 1: Oh my, by the way, that same crappy apartment you rent it is now eleven thousand dollars a month and at least.
Speaker 2: And they haven't renovated. No, it's been exactly the same. The cost of living in la is crazy.
Speaker 1: So you finally they put they put you guys together and you come onto the set the first day you're all together.
Speaker 2: Did the music everything?
Speaker 1: Did it all just click right away? Or was this a real growth process?
Speaker 5: I mean, look it's no, it's no.
Speaker 6: Uh, it's we were trying to mimic the hand of Montana success. I mean, Nickelodeon was like, look look at Hannah Montana, how do you do it?
Speaker 5: With boys.
Speaker 6: Jonas had just had a TV show called Jonas, and it was like, how do we do this?
Speaker 2: They thought they came out. I thought their show came after ours, did it? I feel like it was then it was a band already.
Speaker 8: But anyways, it was very similar at the time. We just played to show them. By the way, super great, amazing.
Speaker 1: But we're not really brothers. A lot of people don't know that.
Speaker 2: They're just read it exactly.
Speaker 5: You see he's got the mustache, you see.
Speaker 8: James, we're trying to match. I was just outside, get some son, like we're gonna get there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but we we.
Speaker 6: We came in and they had a bunch of music for us, so like there, their idea was, let's hire and pay whatever it costs for the biggest producers out there. I mean, we had a song with Desmond Child's, uh, Kevin Rudolph, like these huge people. But at the end of the day, it didn't feel like ours. It just kind of felt like, here's the song. Sing it, Candle, you sing this, James, you sing this, Carlos Logan boom bam boom. And that first season, look, it worked, it was great, but I think the four of us we really had a passion for writing music, and it kind of took everybody a little bit off guard because it was like, oh, you guys actually want to write stuff, like yeah, set up sessions, put us with good producers, and that second and third album we started writing and did most of the music, and then our new was in the episode and it kind of became this thing. And I think that's what ultimately led to our success. I feel like, if we had just let them send us songs and we cut it and we become this cookie cutter thing, but we didn't want that, and I think they didn't expect it.
Speaker 5: But it was good for everybody. But it also took us to a different level.
Speaker 6: Which you know, has had its it's not issues, but had its crazy time.
Speaker 2: And then we decided we wanted to have less time. Basically, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 8: I actually and we had We had a very successful an R. We first started this a guy named Jay Landers sold one hundred million records. I think Jay, oh yeah, it was our original A and R. And his assistant was Maria Egan. He has had a tremendous success on her own since then, but she was just working for Jay at the time and she kind of took over and they had a very different idea of how the band should go. But Jay always said, and I honestly think he was right at the time, that if he we just let him and you know, Sony Columbia go and find the biggest songs and not an anything to do with the writing, that the project.
Speaker 2: Would have been bigger.
Speaker 8: And you know what, I think that's actually true at that time, at the beginning.
Speaker 2: But to Carlos's point, I don't think.
Speaker 8: We would have ever had an opportunity to come back and build the band up like we have because we actually did create what the band was. It was authentically us, from starting from learning how to write, then getting pretty good to learning how to put on a show. So now dare I say we play with the best of them. We're damn good at that, and we're proud.
Speaker 2: To say it. We've done you know, thousands of shows at this point.
Speaker 8: Probably, And I think that led to the future that none of us could have predicted, which is we took a big break. They let the brand go dormant, they didn't really service it. Then the Spotify was hacked. When we came back in and said.
Speaker 6: Luigi had it so seriously and he was promoting his own music on our spotify.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yeah, we probably should hire him.
Speaker 8: We've joked about it, but you know, but you know, to close the loop on this, you know, when we brought it back, we had no concept of whether it would work or not, nor could we predict it to be bigger now than it was then. And by just about any metric, it is. And it's because we actually are a band. Yeah, because we actually went figured it out and now this is round two of doing it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's pretty wilda I think there is.
Speaker 4: That's so much to say about how you guys took it from Like you said, what could have been cookie cutter, but instead.
Speaker 3: You molded it.
Speaker 4: You molded who each not character, but each bandmate was like what were their best you know, what they brought to the band. And I think fans, especially during the time you guys came out, had already seen so many variations of it. They saw even with Miley, Miley wanted to take more control of her career and starting to write and being a part of that process. And so if you hadn't done that, they really wouldn't have bought into it. Instead, they bought into what you guys really brought from your heart and who you guys were as bandmates to each other.
Speaker 3: And that's like amazing and brilliant. By the way, good job guys.
Speaker 1: That was like pretty I.
Speaker 6: Bet you if we tried to do that same if somebody tried to do that same exact formula again, these create these execs are smart enough now to not let people do.
Speaker 5: Do what we did.
Speaker 6: We were so lucky at the time that it was kind of new and it was like, okay, well let them do this and let them explore. Like I constantly have to remind ourselves, like back then, we literally worked for them no matter what, Like we were still an employee of whatever it.
Speaker 9: Was the right they owned everything, and you know, we weren't getting paid a percentage of the gross, like we had our weekly salary, we went on tour, had our weekly salary and all this stuff.
Speaker 6: To come now ten fifteen years later and here we are and now we run the show. It's really weird because I think about, hey, how much money those guys made back then and it was way different, but be like, nobody's going to get that opportunity again.
Speaker 7: And we were so lucky and we were so lucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you find that with everything.
Speaker 1: I mean even nowadays you find something as small as well, I say small and with a capital or small ass podcasting where if you do a show, you sign a contract. Now where it's like, oh, if you ever do a podcast based on this show, we get x them. I mean it's things they weren't expecting to happen. Now somebody does it. They're successful at it. Oh we need a piece of that as well. It's just the normal way of the business. But you're talking about your fans. So I'm curious. You said you had the biggest premiere for a live action show in Nickelodeon history.
Speaker 2: Huge.
Speaker 1: How does your life change after that show comes out?
Speaker 5: The girls just start coming, man.
Speaker 3: I bet they were flocking like Sae.
Speaker 2: In case they were already there. So that's.
Speaker 5: I was a Latino boy from South Florida.
Speaker 6: This was like because, like James, it was right around Thanksgiving, right when we first yeah, like first premiere something.
Speaker 5: I was home.
Speaker 6: I was home and my mom threw a party in all my high schoo friends came and everyone was just like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: And I was like, this is cool.
Speaker 2: But outside of that. Like we've we've talked about this a few times over the years. We didn't fully.
Speaker 8: Grass the size of the situation or how life had changed that much because we were too busy, like ye straight up, yeah, okay, we'd hear these numbers like biggest premiere, and then we go back to filming the show, you know, and we hear you know, this thing, and we'd play our show then go back.
Speaker 2: We wouldn't, you know.
Speaker 8: We didn't have days off for years at a time, and we learned, oh, we could ask for Sunday off, and we eventually found a little bit more of a balance.
Speaker 2: But truthfully, we also needed that big break after seven years of doing this, whatever the time frame was.
Speaker 8: And again I look at all this as you know, a bit of God's plan blessing into skies. We were here because of that past, good and bad, and so they're not complaining about it, but we didn't fully recognize the size of it, probably well maybe at least before our first show. Like actors get stopped in the street in a while, when musicians show up, I have ten twenty thousand people screaming at them. Yeah, that is a seismic shift of like our first show was not that many.
Speaker 4: You know, I was gonna I was gonna ask you what were your first shows like and how did they build? Like I know, with us, two different things obviously the size of fans, but also the budget. Like Disney with the Cheetah Girls, we went on a first like Christmas tour. We put out a Christmas album and our set broke on the way to the first show because it was so it was like so bad and I mean again, we had the best time.
Speaker 1: Didn't care.
Speaker 3: They fixed it. We gotta, we got a thing whatever.
Speaker 4: But it went from that to them like I think of what we had on our third, our third tour, and it was like, you know, because of the success, Like what was that like for you guys? Did you guys start How small did it start for your first couple of shows? Cause those are fun too to think about.
Speaker 6: Well, our first ever, which so so it's a two part question. So our first ever was not a small show. They did a special in the middle of Times Square. They spent a million dollars built of stage and and.
Speaker 5: We were like it was it was nuts And I watch it.
Speaker 6: Back now and I'm like, dang, we sucked. Like that was terrible, not a great first show. But our first like real show was a radio show that we headlined in Henderson, Nevada. And it was so like, we're headlining this radio show. We only knew fifteen minutes of music.
Speaker 2: It was four or songs, it was. It was that's all we have.
Speaker 6: And I remember, like we were so fun, we were so nervous, and we go out and we're in Henderson, Nevada. We're like, freak, our first big show. We do our fifteen minutes and leave and everyone's.
Speaker 5: Like that's it, and we're like, we.
Speaker 2: Don't have anything going. We don't know anything. You don't know. We never knew we needed it all.
Speaker 3: So it was in charge of you.
Speaker 4: Who did you guys have then, because I feel like whoever was in charge should have said, like, let's let's do in between these two songs we're gonna do.
Speaker 3: We're gonna fill it, like.
Speaker 2: We don't have that manager anymore.
Speaker 4: Okay, start smart, Yeah, okay, okay, all right, I get it out.
Speaker 6: Okay we we we didn't again, like you just go back to like we didn't really have control over it, and no one really knew what this was. Like Nickelodeon had never done this, so they were like they were going out trying to hire the best people Sony Columbia, help us out this and that.
Speaker 7: So everybody learned as we went pigs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and there's there's one summer that I'll never forget is James and I don't remember. It was our second or third big tour, but we had started like seeing how big this thing was, and we were working. I mean one summer we did seventy four seventy five shows.
Speaker 5: Like back to back to back to back.
Speaker 7: We don't like, I mean crazy, it was crazy.
Speaker 5: It was crazy.
Speaker 8: I mean five six shows in a row. I think we did seven in a row or eight in a row. Yeah, day, which we just won't we won't do to our bodies anymore.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, wouldn't that just shred your voice?
Speaker 2: But I'm everything.
Speaker 6: Were twenty one years old, so they're like screw it, and we were here, top of our lives.
Speaker 7: But but I remember this was the tour that we kind of made a little stink.
Speaker 6: It was a little to little tea and we said, hey, we would like to participate in more than just these like weekly salaries, like we're seeing this and they were like, Okay, no problem.
Speaker 5: So we did this split with them, but this was so fast.
Speaker 2: We're like, why did we asked for this before?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like I'm amazed it took you guys this long.
Speaker 2: Of course you can learn.
Speaker 5: Here's here's where we screwed up.
Speaker 6: This was the tour that they were like, fine, since we're all, you know, three way partners on this Nickelodeon Columbia and you guys, what do.
Speaker 5: You guys want on the show?
Speaker 7: We're like, we want this, we want to lift, we want Pyro, we want.
Speaker 5: This, and they were like, no problem.
Speaker 6: And then at the end of the tour when it came time to get our check, I was like, we did one.
Speaker 5: Hundred show, where's the money?
Speaker 7: And they were like, oh, they took it out of years sent it.
Speaker 2: Got gross and some parties got there.
Speaker 6: We don't understand the different right at twenty one, you didn't understand how that worked.
Speaker 5: But we learned.
Speaker 6: So, I mean, it sucked, but it was such a blessing to like, actually do what we love make make could still make good money, but learn how this business works because people are getting to take advantage.
Speaker 5: Of the left.
Speaker 4: You know, I love you brought that up because so many people don't understand out there, like when bands go out and like how you can have a band that's just epic, but then things like that happen and they end up the back end. Nobody really really realizes what the back end ends up being for bands and why it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, really, label deals and label advanced are extremely complicated. Jelly Roll was talking about this recently and he broke it down pretty simply, and it's like, let's say that you have a seventy thirty splay, which is actually not that bad these days, it's more like eighty twenty for a lot of artists. The label called a million bucks for easy math, they advanced you million bucks. They they don't recoup the first million dollars. They keep seventy percent of it and only count your thirty percent against recouping it. So the basic math there is you have to make three point three million dollars that you don't see that before you recoup your million. And what happens along the way is you go, actually, I need fifty grand for this video, we need half a million for this tour, and they go, no problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they're making the same difference on everything.
Speaker 4: So I mean, like, oh, you want to go on that red carpet, cool, no problem. You want a stylist, you want to limit, you want.
Speaker 8: There are definitely companies that are better than others and people more aware of it than so I'm certainly not saying a blanket statement that they're all bad. It's something that if you don't ask, they're probably not going to tell you.
Speaker 2: It's it's maybe it's business. Maybe it's just business.
Speaker 8: But I love that there are more people talking about it and more education out there, because if you understand the deal you do and they give you an opportunity and they put up a ton of money and it starts your career, than fantastic and that is a great way to go. Sometimes you need to pay your dues to launch this, which we very much did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean it's yeah, it's it's one of those things where you look at the progression of child actors and musicians and everything and you go back. I mean, the dog that played Toto made more money than Judy Garland did when they were doing That's an actual, So it's so it's one of those things where you're you're so when especially when you're a kid, you're so happy to be working. Oh my god, I'm getting this job. I get to be on Nickelodeon, I get to be on Disney. That that stuff doesn't matter. And then when you start to grow up a little bit and you're like, wait.
Speaker 6: Well, what they say is because you know, they send out these contracts and they're like, look, you're seventeen years old, you're sixteen, nineteen whatever.
Speaker 5: There are so many of you out there.
Speaker 7: Who will who will take exactly what's written right here exactly.
Speaker 5: Take it or leave it.
Speaker 2: But you're lucky to be here, kid, You're lucky to be you know what.
Speaker 6: Like James said, you got to pay your dues, so you signed that and you're like, all right, cool, how long?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, flip side, flip side. With success, all parties should reap the benefits of that. Yeah, we go back to them second, third season, fourth season. Look was it fair in terms of absolutely probably not. However we received more. You know, and again if you ask when you work with it in your teammate and you're putting in it's super successful. Contracts are made to be revised. In fact, contracts be broken to some degree, so you know, end of the day, it was still an amazing opportunity. It started this whole thing and silver lining the blessing in the skies here is they did We're still going, you know, one hundred million dollars or something that we never could have put into this. That launched something that now we've been able to carry on and have eggs exactly.
Speaker 4: I mean, it definitely gave you opportunities and open doors that you guys wouldn't have been able to do on your own.
Speaker 3: So you have to.
Speaker 1: And they're fun companies to work people Forget working for Nickelodeon, working for Disney, you have fun, you have a good name, I'm working for These are.
Speaker 3: Living the dream you've grown up wanting to do this. So although yes, is.
Speaker 4: It excruciatingly exhausting sometimes absolutely, but you're literally singing in front of fans that know every single word. They've watched every single episode, they can repeat the episode. They know what your favorite ice cream is like, they show up with the cookies that you put on your favorite I mean, the fans are amazing, they are really honestly what makes all of that hard work feel like it disappears because it's so fun and the kids out there are just eating it up.
Speaker 3: And they love you and you love doing it for them, So it's.
Speaker 5: Gosh, I love your positivity. Let's go.
Speaker 4: I'm so stoked that you guys are getting a chance to go back out there.
Speaker 2: And now that's what I want to ask about. What's what now?
Speaker 1: How did what sparked the new tour? What's sparked coming back? Are there plans to do a new show or a movie? Can you tell us anything? Everybody's excited.
Speaker 6: I mean, look, we we've been talking about it for a long time and then we've done.
Speaker 7: This will be our third summer out uh and and this I mean.
Speaker 6: Europe, right, yeah, true, this will be our biggest I think, our biggest tour that we've ever done. We're really going back to the nostalgia of the TV show Gustavo Rock played by Stephen Gramer Glickman and Caitlin Tarver who played Joe. They're all gonna come on the road with us, and we've never done that. I mean, when I say that, Steven's been for this moment for the last fifteen years, like we're not even paying him, He's doing it for free. I'm kidding, but.
Speaker 2: Totally untrue.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be fun yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean what sparked this?
Speaker 8: I mean we just you know, wanted to get back together, and then the fans just showed us how much that they love the fact that we are and so so long as they want us to keep making music and going out there, we just feel grateful to be able to do it.
Speaker 2: Did you stay close?
Speaker 1: Sorry, I was just gonna ask in the in the meantime, did you stay close between when the show ended and coming back on tour now where we were all still in each other's lives and we.
Speaker 2: Already kind of drift like you normally do, we.
Speaker 8: All just wanted to do other things. We all get together the space and the breath that we needed. You know, everybody went off and did their own movies or music or both. Uh, started families. But when we came back together, it was I think with even more experience and more respect in many ways that.
Speaker 2: We could have possibly had. And we were seventeen to twenty three or whatever, that window.
Speaker 6: Was well, and now and now we're running a business together versus before we were just employees.
Speaker 7: Like I think there's just a different respect for the whole thing.
Speaker 6: And it's like, look, we want to have fun, we want to make money and make memories.
Speaker 5: So how do we do all of that together? And so far, so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's different when it's your responsibility. All of a sudden, it's like.
Speaker 2: Do we need the Piro?
Speaker 8: I can tell you we definitely won't have Pyro. We have for toasters, which makes me sad. But you know many people you need to run a single toaster.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean you have to build your own stage.
Speaker 6: You literally have to build your own It's we've learned how expensive it is to tour.
Speaker 5: I mean just my my my family comes with us.
Speaker 6: So I got all my kids, I got the dog, and we have our own bus and my kids love it and and it.
Speaker 5: You know, it's.
Speaker 7: Expensive just to rent a bus for two months.
Speaker 6: So it's like you have to factor all these costs in and then go, okay, well are we gonna shoot that Pyro?
Speaker 5: Are we gonna get the screen?
Speaker 6: And you know, us, us being the business owners, now it's really put us in the you know, in this position of like how do we give the best show to the fans, but also but also like make it profitable And that's really tough nowadays.
Speaker 5: In the show it's so tough.
Speaker 8: To piggyback that you know, we're going around the world and so when you get into customizations, it costs more money but also takes more time. And we are we are adding more shows by the way. We can't announce where yet, but they're very much in the works several more countries. And in order to play the same show, going to a set, for example, that we can recreate in each country.
Speaker 2: Is very important.
Speaker 8: So there's interesting things we've learned along the way to make it fun and make the fan experience way better everywhere we go.
Speaker 3: Wow, I wanted to ask.
Speaker 4: So I've got a chance to go to the Spice Girls tour when they and it was their twenty year or something, and they just it was the first time they came back and did a reunion door and I got to go and stage was so different. You know, I had been doing The Cheetah Girls in an arena, you kind of know the thing. They had separate rooms for like a playroom for the kids.
Speaker 3: So it was like way.
Speaker 4: More like family oriented versus like ours. There was like, you know, a bar for the roadies were like set up versus like that room was designated as like a playroom, Like what's that looking like different than when you guys toured when you were younger. What's the what's the road like different?
Speaker 5: It's a mixture. It's a mixture.
Speaker 6: I mean, we're we're all pretty health conscious, so like, you know, for us, it's not really crazy food. I mean, you know James, James kind of leads all the workouts for everybody, and we make it a point to go to the gym for a couple hours every single day. And you know, James has a dog. I got my kids and my dog. So we're playing on the lawn getting sun. I feel like back in the day, it was just.
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, we're in Minnesota, let's go right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm actually really excited for this tour. I'm taking a complete year off of drinking. I mean, I haven't really done it much in the last few years. But there's habits you build before, Like you know, you're twenty one years old, You're can go play a show and so many cheers as you and you have a shot for the thing. You kind of sure things that just you know, we're in our thirties now. We want to put on the best show every night, and more important, like we want to feel good we have other responsibilities.
Speaker 2: Like Carlos and I love.
Speaker 8: Waking up early, love going and getting our workouts. You know, some of the guys come, I mean Logan's comes pretty often, but Carlos is very dedicated. I enjoy a different side of life and a different side of touring now, so much.
Speaker 2: Closer to the Spice Girls than what you got back in the day.
Speaker 6: This is super funny though, because back in the day we would go on at like eight or nine o'clock, played for two hours, get off at eleven. We played some shows recently where we were on at like seven and we were done by nine. And here's how you know that we're all getting older because we were like that.
Speaker 8: Was really nice, and we did great pieces with the openers, you know, being bad.
Speaker 5: We let the openers go last and we'll just go that's all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Did you guys all ever tour and be on the same bus?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, than how you guys were? Okay, we did that too, which was the best. I loved it. I felt it was like camp on the road.
Speaker 4: And now you guys again obviously are doing like your own bussing situation.
Speaker 6: I think for the health, for the health of of everything, for those long you know, for a short week or two, it's fine. Like in Europe we're gonna be there for four weeks. Uh, and you know it's just gonna be all of us on one bus and that's fine. But I think you know, here in the States, we do have the luxury to have a couple of buses. James will have Hison bus, all of mine and then kenall Logan are going to share, and.
Speaker 5: You know, you can kind of go back home if you want to.
Speaker 6: You have two days off, you know, maybe maybe go to you know, me and James both have our birthdays on the road, so it's like if we can sneak off for a day and go to a campsite, it's kind of fun to do that. And not everybody always wants to go, so sure, so having that flexibility, you know, yeah.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh my god, could you imagine being at that camp site and a tour bus rolls up and you're like, is.
Speaker 6: That carless from Big Every summer that we've been out, I've gone back to my old summer camp. Have you really It's it's up in the Poconos and I called, I'm like, hey, you know what I'm you know, in town next week.
Speaker 7: We drive the bus in and all the kids love it.
Speaker 5: It's fun. The campers are there.
Speaker 2: So wait, are you summer birthdays then mid July? Mid August?
Speaker 5: Yeah, August?
Speaker 2: Where what are you in August?
Speaker 5: August fifteenth?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm the eleventh, so just making sure.
Speaker 5: I'm going to say teeth listen.
Speaker 6: Joe Jonas is also on the fifteenth, so you know, it could have been wow.
Speaker 3: Wow when I have the same birthday September sixteenth?
Speaker 2: What birthday Jonas this week? And I bond?
Speaker 8: Does anybody in that family have the July sixteenth? There's like seven of them, twelve.
Speaker 2: Of them exactly.
Speaker 8: I'm sure we'll all find somebody I don't notice that's confident.
Speaker 1: So where uh if they go on your website, where can they find for all the shows? Because I want to come. So Brinda and I are coming on.
Speaker 8: One official dot com has all these and all the new ones will be adding. Our Instagram is great, but like Big Timber's official has just all the direct Where do.
Speaker 5: You guys live?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 7: Cool?
Speaker 2: Are you coming to southern California at all? Can we come and see it?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 2: Into it? Which is really exciting, you know.
Speaker 1: That's we were just there for WrestleMania. It's a great place.
Speaker 5: Is it true that you walk in with no tickets and it just scans your face.
Speaker 1: It scans your face and you can buy everything and like you just walk up and it scans you at the bar and you just grab the stuff that you want.
Speaker 2: It's all just scanned. It's really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's weird, super super cool.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Sabena, we gotta go.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, that sounds like so much fun. And I can't wait to see these fans just lose their marbles over you.
Speaker 3: It'll be so amazing.
Speaker 4: I can't let this interview go though without touching at least on your guys' journeys on Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say the three of us, I know, I love.
Speaker 1: No, it's that's you would not want to see me on Dancing with Anything.
Speaker 3: Get them on on Sunday.
Speaker 2: They want to see you. Yeah, no, you really don't. Dancing on acid. It'll be the closest you get.
Speaker 6: So Garry Bucy was on my season. Okay, if Gary Busey you can do it.
Speaker 2: Well yeah no, that would be rough. I promise you that would be rough. Yeah, so what is it? What was that?
Speaker 1: Like Sabrina talks about Dancing with the Stars like it's one of their favorite things she's ever done in her life.
Speaker 3: Why I have to bring it up?
Speaker 4: And if you have bad stories, I don't want to hear them because nothing will nothing will get anything negative towards Dancing Stars.
Speaker 2: Were the greatest experience.
Speaker 8: I'm sure different experiences, but I look at it as the most amount of fun that I never want to have again.
Speaker 2: I'm really glad I kids, truly that's a good thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 8: I just at that time in my life, it was fun. It was great, it was exhausting. I'm glad I did it. I like a competition show, something that's challenging physically, meant like that, that's so much more fun than just going on so I've done, you know, unscripted elsewhere, it's like not as cool. This one's really really rough, Like you have to put in the work if you want to have any chance of competing. And I really enjoyed that.
Speaker 3: Who is your partner, Peter murgatroyd.
Speaker 2: Oh you got it's so great. I mean, she was just fantastic.
Speaker 5: I'm a little different.
Speaker 7: I so I got to compete alongside.
Speaker 6: With my wife, whoa which was so my wife competed the same season, which was awesome because we get to be together all the time.
Speaker 1: But she wasn't your partner, right they put you with.
Speaker 3: They were competing against each other, which I'm so great.
Speaker 5: It was so fun.
Speaker 6: We cried when we They of course put us both in the bottom and They're like one of you is going home, and I'm.
Speaker 7: Like, this is freaking yeah.
Speaker 6: But no, I'd say my experience if they did an All Star season, I'm like, Dina CAATs call me please.
Speaker 4: Yes, I would pay money to be honest, I was, and I did do an All Star season.
Speaker 3: This would be my third shut up.
Speaker 5: Yes no.
Speaker 6: And Sean Johnson's yes, Oh gosh. I just talked to her about it and she was so. I think I think an All Star season would be fun because that first season, when you don't know what it is, it's so nerve wracking. Every night when those beeps happened and you're about to dance, your heart is beating. I think I would go into an All Star season like bring it on, baby, let's go.
Speaker 8: You do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you know what to expect, however, I will tell you up in you know, we all have a rehearsal day the day before, you know, the day of the actual filming. Everyone's up there, We're running the whole show, and we're all up there and I don't remember who was on the floor, but christially looks over at us and goes, is anyone else? Asking themselves why the hell I signed up for this? Again, knowing how bad this was.
Speaker 3: Because of the anxiety you have when you're up and look.
Speaker 5: Totally you do.
Speaker 2: But but at.
Speaker 4: The same time, like you come in with a like, let's freaking do this, and so does everyone else.
Speaker 2: Dot I bet it's more competitive.
Speaker 1: It was so much more.
Speaker 4: Still super friendly, everyone's super excited, but everyone is like it's almost like they're looking going why am I not that good?
Speaker 3: Why am I okay? What are we you know?
Speaker 4: Talking to your partner? What can I do to be better? Like you're everything is just at a higher level. But it is very fun still, it's it's it's still very intense. I thought I was going to be like, oh, I got it, like we know what we're doing now, and it's like, whoa, it's still so.
Speaker 6: We did something last Christmas, we did uh btr on ice.
Speaker 7: Oh and and we did a concert on ice.
Speaker 5: We all skate.
Speaker 2: Oh come, you're all skating?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 6: And and we literally so so like picture a huge arena, ice on the floor, kind of like Disney on ice. There was a stage because at one point we took our skates off and did a concert. But we hired pros to basically skate with us and skate around us and do some stuff. And it kind of reminds me of Dancing with the Stars because we it kind of pulled this out of.
Speaker 7: Our element, but it was so much fun.
Speaker 8: In fact, the only person who fell was a professional dancer was my dance.
Speaker 2: The other fun fact. Accuse me of tripping her. I watched the tape. I was on a knee. I was on a knee. Just say no. She was great, They're great. Sorry, go on.
Speaker 5: The area huge.
Speaker 2: True, that's so sad. Automatically taking the professional no to.
Speaker 7: Say, would you do skating with the Stars?
Speaker 4: Well they did something like that, don't you remember they did that show? There was an Skating with the Stars and it was It was terrible that it was not They were not able to you know, how like there are ice skating.
Speaker 2: And make it look same as everybody. It's not.
Speaker 4: It's so hard and it was hard because at least with Dancing with the Stars, I feel like even when you don't have the best celebrity, the pros are able to like in a waltz a lot of times, like a pro dancer will do a scar especially girls.
Speaker 8: Girls. The guys lead you honestly, can just sit there and hold your form.
Speaker 2: And they will make you. The guys have a way harder.
Speaker 4: They pros have to learn how to back lead you guys, which is hard. It's also harder.
Speaker 6: You just have to keep taking our shirt sage. That's the only way that James and I got to the end everything.
Speaker 2: Wait, there's nakedness.
Speaker 1: Hopefully that you didn't get naked on the ice too?
Speaker 2: Did you that that would be tough?
Speaker 8: I almost tripped one time and I considered it just to distract the audience, But no.
Speaker 4: The ice skating show, it just shows you how very hard it is, and it was hard to like, like camouflage from what the celebrities look for.
Speaker 5: We did it and we looked amazing.
Speaker 3: Okay, I bet you did.
Speaker 4: But to dance question like yeah, but I wouldn't expect i'd have the results that I had on Dancing with the Stars in any sort because ice skating is tough, like tough.
Speaker 1: There is not a professional dancer that could make me look like I know how to dance.
Speaker 2: I don't care how good they are. Yes it is.
Speaker 1: If they do Drinking with the Stars, I'll win.
Speaker 2: I don't know, so nice one hundred percent believe them. I just thank you, James on my side. This is from the guy who trips ice skaters. Call it like I see, it's so to you. We're on the same pagere I don't gett combat it. I think we should be partners.
Speaker 1: Will partner up for the new Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 2: That will be fine. You lead me and I'll just told default.
Speaker 4: Yes absolutely sometimes I love it.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you both for joining us so much. We're going I'm not joking, by the way, we're coming to please so Sabrina and I are definitely going to be there.
Speaker 2: We can't wait.
Speaker 1: Everybody, go to the website and check it out because the tour is gonna be amazing, and check it out also in Europe because hopefully I'll be there for one of those two I my wife and I love it there, so we're there quite a bit, so it would be great to see you guys.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for coming on. Break well Break. I was gonna say break a leg.
Speaker 1: I guess you could still say that with singers, probably not dancers.
Speaker 2: I said that this Sabrina once. She's like what, I'm like, Oh, that's right. You don't say break the legs. Dancers perform, Yes, okay, twist and.
Speaker 1: Ankle, Sabrina, it is.
Speaker 2: I become my little sister.
Speaker 3: I'm aloud completely ignored you so much.
Speaker 5: Luck.
Speaker 4: I hope it's amazing, and I hope it's going to be incredible, and we'll see you on the road because we're coming. We get a chance to talk to you guys after and you guys can tell us all about it was, because I'm sure it's just going to.
Speaker 5: Be that's the second show, so we'll give you all the tea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, into it, into it a second to last.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, we'll be there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, great, Thank you guys so much.
Speaker 2: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: So you can tell just by talking to them how much fun being on the road would be and how serious they take it, and you know it's going to be the greatest thing in the world for their fans, but it's also just you can tell they.
Speaker 7: Have a blast.
Speaker 1: And that's when you see a band members having that much fun and you can tell they're not faking it. You know the show is going to be good because they're just going to be having so much fun while they're love.
Speaker 3: That the journey that they've been on.
Speaker 4: I mean again, like knowing what it's like to be a part of a group and really, like they said, like you're just kind of employees for part part of it, and then as you get older and you do more of them and you start to learn the process and you start to learn how much like creative control that you can take on. Like I love that they're having that journey and this one is like the best of the best for them so far, you know, and I'm sure if they continue just going to get better and I that's just so amazing. I'm so excited for that and that they've gotten this journey for so long.
Speaker 3: Twenty and thirteen was when the show ended.
Speaker 2: I think so. And so they started auditioning in tw.
Speaker 3: Twenty five, Like, holy hell, that is so.
Speaker 1: It was a year audition process. That's insane.
Speaker 4: Imagine I mean, I think I would just forget about it. I would lose all hope, there's.
Speaker 5: But you can.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's what I love.
Speaker 1: How he's like when they say we'll call you, it's like a slow no, which is exactly right.
Speaker 3: If it's not you, it's me, it really is.
Speaker 1: Just because every time it's actually you, it's never me.
Speaker 2: I'm awesome.
Speaker 1: H thank you everybody for joining us for this park Opper episode, and seriously go to the website and check it out. Well, I'm sure we'll put it up on our Instagram and go check out a concert I'm looking forward to. We'll have to go to the we will we'll totally ago. Maybe we could.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that would be good.
Speaker 2: We'll take Jordan, we'll take Sue.
Speaker 1: We'll go and we'll grab some dinner and we'll have some fun and we'll go see their show.
Speaker 2: It'll be a ton of fun.
Speaker 1: And thank you everybody for joining us on this wonderful, magical rewind park Copper episode. And remember we don't have a catchphrase to end an episode. Thanks everybody,