Speaker 1: Hey there, folks, and happy Sunday to you.
Speaker 2: It is Sunday, June twenty ninth, and welcome to this inspirational episode of Amy and TJ.
Speaker 1: We go through our quotes of the day.
Speaker 2: We collect them here, give them all to you one place, give you a little background about where they came from, what they mean to us, and why we chose them. I say we, but usually Robes. This is a task you usually take on in the morning for Morning run. You pick out the quotes.
Speaker 3: Yes, it actually began with you, though I should give you credit because you used to post these quotes on your door on every Monday in the GMA studios, and you collected them, had a big old folder full of them. And we have essentially run out of your quotes that you had collected over the years. So now, yes, I have taken on the duties of curating our quotes of the day for our morning run.
Speaker 2: So you started on Monday with a poet that I wasn't familiar with, but an American poet who had a quote. I think I've heard something similar to this, but I'll let you know what I I'll explain.
Speaker 1: That in a second.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is from poet Susie Cassim and the quote of the day was, doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.
Speaker 2: Why does that sound familiar because I heard of all people, I heard Spike Lee, but it this way. He told a crowd we were doing an event, and he said it was parents that kill more dreams than anybody else. The idea that sometimes we are trying to guide our kids that you shouldn't do this, We're trying to put them in another direction, and you kill the kids dreams. So when you told me this quote, it's kind of that thing as well. Dreams don't usually die because of failure. They die because of doubt. They died because of something else.
Speaker 3: And it's a good thing to remember, because I think a lot of us are afraid to fail, and so we don't go after our dreams. But you're right, a lot of us want to steer our kids or ourselves in sensible directions, fuol proof or failure proof directions like you should become a lawyer, or you should get a job where you know you're going to get benefits. You shouldn't be an artist, you shouldn't be a poet. And that's why I love that a poet wrote this, because I'm sure she faced a lot of that. Maybe when she told her parents or she even convinced herself she could. People probably doubted her every step of the way. How can you possibly make a living these days as a poet? So I thought that was pretty cool. And anytime we're trying to pursue something new or chase a dream, I think it's so important to remember that if you can just believe in yourself, you might fail a couple of times before you make it, but then you could still ultimately make it.
Speaker 2: Because this applighter relationships as well.
Speaker 3: I think so too. I do, I actually do. Because you doubt someone, you doubt love, you stop trusting someone and that can kill a relationship. But if you just believe and you stay positive, maybe it's going to all be okay.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you Susie Cassim, American poet, for that to The quote of the day on Monday was doubt kills more dreams than the failure ever will.
Speaker 3: Our next quote of the day comes from is Ernest Hemingway a poet and an author or just an author?
Speaker 2: I thought author? Yes, maybe comes to mind initially, Yes.
Speaker 3: He I mean a prolific author, of course, but Ernest Hemingway I loved this because this is something I am constantly trying to train my brain not to do. I haven't conquered it yet, but here was his quote. Worry a little bit every day, and in a lifetime you will lose a couple of years. If something is wrong, fix it if you can, but train yourself not to worry. Worry never fixes anything.
Speaker 2: This is the key to life, I think. I think it's the key to happiness. I do too, being in the moment, training yourself not to worry about something that never probably is going to happen anyway. If you stop right now, think about the thing. What were you worried about yesterday?
Speaker 1: Did it happen today?
Speaker 3: No? Actually, actually no? And where do you worry the most? Like? Where are you in the day? Where are you in your day where you find yourself overthinking and future casting and creating worst case scenarios in your head.
Speaker 2: I sit and I'm quiet when I'm not active, when i'm not engaged, when i'm not helping, when i'm not being of service, when i'm not doing work. I think when I lay down.
Speaker 1: Is when I have it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you're not in the moment.
Speaker 2: That's why I have to have the TV on at night to distract me from my own thoughts. Seriously, I know you think I'm crazy have to sleep with the TV on. That sounds insane.
Speaker 3: When we first started dating, I knew you was a friend, but I never had spent time with you in an intimate setting like a living room or a bedroom. So, yes, that was a big surprise to me after knowing you for eight years, that you always have to have a TV on, even the whole night while you're sleeping the entire night. It took a lot of training for me to be able to work through that. Yeah, it was I'm telling you, I don't even know if I told you how shocking it was to me. Why so shocking because I'd never met anyone who had the TV on all the time.
Speaker 2: But this goes back to Ernest Hemingway worry. So when I'm laying down and it's quiet and nothing is distracting me, I get to Okay, got I do this? What if this happens? Then I got to figure this out. I set the alarm. Oh my goodness, that I start the dishwasher, Like.
Speaker 1: All this is happening.
Speaker 2: So if the TV is on, I'm painting like something is keeping my attention.
Speaker 3: That's wild.
Speaker 1: It keeps me from talking.
Speaker 3: It makes sense. That's why I don't like it when you're quiet, because even if I ask you what are you thinking about, you'll just say nothing.
Speaker 2: You don't want to know what's going on.
Speaker 3: But I know, oh, I know, saying nothing is better than saying what you're thinking. I get that. I find my thoughts racing in the shower sometimes when I'm running, if I don't have music or Actually that's why I do prefer a podcast or an audiobook because then I can't start overthinking when i'm running, because my mind quiets and I really I'll go into doomsday thoughts.
Speaker 2: Sometimes we just brought something up. It's now a relationship episode the shower.
Speaker 1: Same thing. I don't think in the shower.
Speaker 3: Why because you have TV shows, play TV show you freing an iPad? Oh my goodness, I just realized this. You bring an iPad and blast it on a speaker while you're in the shower so you don't start worrying. Oh my goodness, Okay, one more time for you. Worry a little bit every day and in a lifetime. You will lose a couple of years. If something is wrong, fix it if you can, but train yourself not to worry. Worry never fixes anything, all right, the.
Speaker 2: Next one here on Wednesday, I'm going to do this in the reverse of the way I did it during the week I said who the quote was from first, I'm gonna do it in reverse this time. Okay, So here's the quote, stop letting people who do so little for you control so much of your mind, feelings, and emotions. Can't we all agree with that.
Speaker 3: So much, so much, And the prolific author of this quote is Will Smith. That's when you started singing, getting jiggy with it, or you just started humming it.
Speaker 2: That stuff gets in your head. That dude has some good stuff back here.
Speaker 3: And you know what. I loved his book, Oh yeah, I actually that was one of my favorite audiobooks to run to ever. I would actually listen to it again. And this was all before the infamous Night of the Oscars, And so I was I had just finished the book, I believe, right leading up to that night, and I was so disappointed with what happened because I know he has spent so many years working on himself truly, and you know what that just goes to say or to show you can do all the work, and you can go to therapy. And he spent time alone and he was reading all the books that you and I have read, and yet still in a moment, in a moment of anger, in a weak moment, we all can have that devastating human low moment. That's unfortunately something for him is hard to walk away from, or to even take away or to remove, or for people to forget.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, his moment happened in front of a lot of people's look and this helped me understand Will Smith a lot because I read it. I didn't do the audio, but it's a four hundred page book. It's a thick, incredible, big book, and it is incredible. You understand him so much better when you read it, and you understand why he is the way he is, why he entertained, why his personality goes back to his child.
Speaker 1: It is such a good book. This is not what this what are we turning this well.
Speaker 2: To a lifestyle podcast today?
Speaker 1: It supposed to be about inspirational.
Speaker 3: Quotes, but I think the whole book is inspirational, and I think you'll actually have a lot more compassion for him if if you were angered by or hold what happened on the Oscar night against him, if you read his book, I think maybe you'll picture him differently. But I love what he had to say because so many of us let people who don't matter affect us and affect how we think about ourselves. So stop letting people who do so little for you control so much of your mind, feelings, and emotions.
Speaker 2: All right, folks, when we come back, we're going to give you our last couple of quotes, one from a football player, another from Socrates, and we even throw in a little Dolly parton.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to this Sunday edition of our Morning Ron, the Inspiration Edition, where we go through the quotes of the day, And this one comes from Yes TJ mentioned before the break a football player, someone who even I know his name. I'm not a big knower of football names.
Speaker 2: From football over something a podcast or for pop culture or commercials.
Speaker 3: You know him from playing, probably from after he was playing, but jj watk okay, this is what he said, and I love this quote. Success isn't owned its least, and rent is due every day. I think sometimes we get complacent, maybe a little lazy, but if you truly want success, if you truly want to reach a goal, you got to work at it each and every day. It's about I just this quote motivated me to keep working, to keep pushing, to keep trying to get where you want to get, and then when you get where you want to get, climb another mountain.
Speaker 2: You know, didn't you just say something to me today about Wow, I can't wait until we get to this and then we you can take a break as it. No, baby, you gotta work hard.
Speaker 3: I did, and then this quote snapped me right out of it. So thank you for that. JJ Watt. Success isn't owned, its least and rent is due every day.
Speaker 2: Okay, you got this? The next one from Socrates? Does Socrates speak this way? You know what?
Speaker 3: I have the same question, But I have to admit this must have been translated into more of a modern American vernacular, because I had the same thought. I thought, does Socrates use the verbs screws us up? Or that that phrase? I don't think so. I think that is a loose modern translation. But here's what Socrates had to say all those so many many centuries ago. What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be. Ain't that the truth? Expectations or what we think should or could be can cause us the most suffering, and we're doing it to ourselves. I have tried to catch myself for the last couple of years. Every time I start to say I should have, I could have, I wish I would have, And every time my brain starts going there, I have to say, stop, what are you doing. You're not changing anything, you're not undoing anything, and you're only making yourself miserable and frustrated.
Speaker 2: It's hard to embrace what is.
Speaker 1: It's hard to accept that maybe.
Speaker 2: Like this isn't what I wanted out of life, and this is not where I wanted to be. But that's hard to accept. It's hard to surrender to so many things around you like that. But that is the cause, the sole source of your daily frustration and even depression. Yes, we are, it absolutely is. You're suffering because you're looking around and saying I don't want this, I didn't want this, this is not how it's supposed to be.
Speaker 1: Man, it is really freeing to.
Speaker 3: Just accept it actually is exactly what. It was hard to do, though, man, especially when you're in the in the ditch and you're down on your luck and you feel like, what what did I do wrong? Where did I go wrong? This isn't what was supposed to happen. I mean we of all, I have said that to myself a million times.
Speaker 2: Down in that ditch. They're cursing us, like, yeah, what was that quote?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly like the last thing you want to hear. Yeah, you kind of want to wallow in your own misery. But it doesn't make you feel any better. I know. I think it's important to let that emotion or that feeling. You got to you got to experience it and recognize it, and then you got to let it pass right through you. So I think it's just cool to recognize it in the moment. It might take a couple hours, it might take a couple of days, but just remember what Socrates said exactly the way I'm going to read it. Can you imagine Socrates saying it just like this, What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be. Thank you, thank you, thank you Socrates for that all right.
Speaker 2: We got a bonus today in honor of Dolly. She was on our minds of course, and she is probably going to get us out to Vegas. This is a good reason to go to Vegas. Dolly Pardon announced that she is doing a mini residency that is going to be this December. I believe Caesars.
Speaker 1: Do I have her right?
Speaker 3: Yes, that is exactly correct.
Speaker 1: She is.
Speaker 2: It's been thirty two years since she's had a residency out there, and she's retired from touring about ten years ago. But that didn't mean she was going to stop performing. She just wasn't on the road. So this is really cool. A lot of people excited that she's they get a chance to see her.
Speaker 3: She is such an amazing singer and songwriter, so it's not surprising that this woman has so many quotes. I might I could probably do with Dolly quote once a week for an entire year, and I still wouldn't get through them all. And they're all so brilliant. This woman knows exactly she's lived so much life. I mean, if you can write country music songs, first of all, hats off to you, because I love the lyrics in country music songs. But Dolly is at the top, top top of the heap, of course, So this is Dolly's quote for your bonus quote on this Sunday morning. Run. Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Obviously we just had the quote on success, and that's a big part of things. But sometimes success isn't just about financial success or professional success. It's about emotional success, relationship success. And I think we all sometimes, I know I was guilty of this for so much of my life. I had a I had a one track mine of where I wanted to get to, but it was about my work. And wow, when that work all came crumbling down, what was left just me?
Speaker 1: You were screwed.
Speaker 2: I was all you had.
Speaker 1: Boy, that was that was a reality check and.
Speaker 3: Making a life. Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.
Speaker 2: You know that obviously that makes perfect sense. You can actually do both, but there's got to be some kind of a balance. We unfortunately do get our heads down and we're total to just.
Speaker 1: Go at it work hard.
Speaker 2: People have pride themselves on I did take any vacation days this week this month?
Speaker 3: Shut up just that used to be me. I'm gonna be totally honest.
Speaker 2: I know we all used to have done that at some point, and sometimes it was necessary when you're young and hungry. But when you thirty two and you got other things and people and things in your life that you care about, you got to stop this. Someone compared to a standard of living, right, don't confuse a standard of living with a standard of life. Standard of living is about I have a Mercedes, I fly first class. We get caught up in that standard. That's a standard of luxury almost, yes.
Speaker 1: But a standard of life. Who are your friendships?
Speaker 2: How much sleep do you get?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: A standard of life? And it's such a difference. And yes, we have learned this later in life, after putting ourselves through hell professionally and personally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well yeah, when it all comes crumbling down, what is left It is those relationships that you nurtured. And if you haven't been nurturing those relationships, you realize that is what counts on your deathbed. You don't care about your titles. It doesn't matter how many numbers are in your bank account, It truly doesn't. It matters who's around that bed with you. Helping you make that transition. That's what matters. So Dolly and Dolly knew that. You know, Dolly had such an incredible career. I mean, she is beloved, but I love her love story and the one that she kept private and the one that she is of course morning now that her husband has passed, her husband of sixty years. But man, she is a living, breathing example of how to live. So thank you, Dolly. Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life. And thank you all for listening to us on this Sunday. I hope it gave you a little inspiration, a little motivation, maybe just a different way to think about how you're going to live your day today and every day going forward. So thank you for running with us. This is the Sunday morning run. Thanks for running with us. I had to remind myself and we will see you on the run tomorrow