Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkshon. I'm his son, Jeff Kirkshon, and we are just one day away from Independence Day.
Speaker 2: So happy July fourth, Dad, Yes, And what do you have planned for July the fourth, Jeff?
Speaker 1: So we have our like the world's cutest small town Fourth of July parade in skip Back, Pennsylvania. And you know, they bring all of the fire trucks through all of the floats.
Speaker 3: It's really adorable.
Speaker 1: So what we do, Dad, is we wake up early, we bring chairs down to the pike right to skip Back Pike, and we set them out early. Go back to your house. We can walk there, and then we're gonna have some friends over with their kids, all walk down together and do a little pool party after the parade.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be awesome. I'm really looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Right, I have a white Claude, Jeff. That'll be great. I will be flying to San Diego on July the fourth. We'll be doing the Rangers at the Padres on Sunday Night Baseball. It's the second of two games that night on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball. So I'm very excited. About that, So let's go July the fourth. Can't wait?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're gonna be on a plane on the fourth of July. Do you think you'll be Are you gonna be at night or is it a day flight.
Speaker 2: It's a morning flight, so I will be there plenty of time for the game and for the fireworks at Petco Park on Friday night July the fourth.
Speaker 1: I remember the first time we went to Petco Park, Dad?
Speaker 2: Do you remember this first trip at dude? That was your only trip there? First we went to Legoland, That's right, that was part of the trip. And yes, we ended and we went to SeaWorld, I believe Clyde and Theemour and then we then we went to Petco Park. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Does Russell Wilson look like a trainer at sea World?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I mean when we did our Dan Levintard episode, that one came out from Jeremy Ted Shay Similist that was on it.
Speaker 3: I remember going to SeaWorld, Dad.
Speaker 1: Is there a place you and I feel more out of place than SeaWorld?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, Jeff. Neither one of us is very good in the water. You're worse than I am, But neither one of us are that good on land either, if you're really thinking about it.
Speaker 1: So, Dad, did you hear the story of the passenger who fell off of the Disney Dream cruise ship? A five year old supposedly reportedly fell off a cruise ship and dad jumped in, saved the child, and treaded water for twenty minutes until the rescue boats got there.
Speaker 2: How long was it the fall?
Speaker 1: About four decks is what they say, into the water. The dad jumped in after right after the child fell in.
Speaker 3: He jumped in.
Speaker 2: How he saved his five year old son?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm a son or daughter, I'm not sure, but yes, And it just speaks volumes. Dad, And I know we joke about me being a terrible swimmer, but I would jump in so fast, so quickly after my daughter. My world's completely changed when I became a dad almost two years ago. Like I remember you saying, you don't even know love until you have a child.
Speaker 3: And that's no disrespect to people without kids.
Speaker 1: Meaning it's just a different channel of love that you have for your children than that you have of your own parents, or of your spouse or of your dog. Right, It's just a different channel of your heart.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I'm a.
Speaker 1: Terrible swimmer, and I jump in immediately, and I like to think there would be some sort of God intervention to make me a good swimmer again in order to save McKinley's life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you is no telling what what can what comes from with inside you. You don't even know you have it when you don't even remember this jet. But when you were a really small child, you got trapped underneath the car and I picked up the car and saved your life.
Speaker 3: Did you know in a matchbox car.
Speaker 2: That's enough of that, speaking Jeff, speaking Jeff of obituaries or which were not. Of course, I wrote Johnny Bench's obituary this morning, and he's not sick. He's okay. That's the point. Johnny Bench is our favorite player. It was our favorite guest of the podcast last year. But in order to get things in the bank at ESPN, you have to do these things just in case. So Johnny Bench is fine. Nothing's going to happen to Johnny Bench for another twenty years, our hope is. But I just want you to know this is what I do on a daily basis. I have to do things like this, not easy to do, by the way.
Speaker 1: That is I mean, I remember years and years and years ago, you had to write an obituary for your dear friend and one of your mentors, Peter Gammons, when they're he was a little touch and go there medically, Dad, that was maybe brand aneurism.
Speaker 2: And they called me and said at midnight and said you better write this. He might not make it through the night. And with tears in my eyes, I wrote an oh bit on Peter Gammons and I told him about it, and then he said, show it to me, send it to me. I can't wait to read it. Which thank god, we haven't needed any part of it.
Speaker 1: So, you know, the old saying is that you, you know, you'd always want to attend your own funeral to see what people have to say about you. Are you gonna send Johnny Bench.
Speaker 2: The o Ben No, of course not, Guys.
Speaker 1: He's a guest, he's a friend of the show. He's a guest on the show. I want to bring him back just so you could read his opus to him on the podcast.
Speaker 2: We have to do it, all right, all right, all right, we'll get him on the show again. I hope we already used up one time. We don't get too many shots at Johnny Bench's greatest catcher ever.
Speaker 1: Oh, you scared me so much when you said that, but you said it so nonchalantly. I was like, there's no way he's going about the Johnny Bench isn't gonna make it through the Oh my goodness, gracious, Okay.
Speaker 2: Wow, let's thank Ron Darling for yesterday. That's just absolutely a great interview talking about the forty year anniversary of maybe the craziest game ever played, these sixteen to thirteen victory by the Mets over the Braves forty years ago in the Rick.
Speaker 1: Camp game yes on fourth of July, and it was so interesting to hear from him coming in at three o'clock in the morning to pitch. If you didn't listen to the last episode, maybe save it for tomorrow on the fourth of July and you can kind of be reliving that game forty years later on the day it actually happened, very very neat. So thank you to Ron Darling and Dad. Thank you that you're not wearing your Hawaiian shirt for this episode.
Speaker 3: Back to back episode, So I'm just glad.
Speaker 2: That was pretty bad. By the way, Jeff, do you remember the movie I made when we went to Mom and I went to Maui. Do you remember Maui the movie? Yeah? Right? Was the Was that the single stupidest thing you've ever seen? Dad? We had a little video camera and we just chronicled the entire trip to Maui, and my favorite moment was, because we were trying to do all sorts of things, we found an outdoor basketball court with a rim that was seven feet high. Seven okay, And back then I was younger and I could jump, and I bought a basketball while we were in Maui, and as part of the Stupidest Maui the Movie ever, I dunked a basketball a bunch of times on camera, and I showed the movie to friends and family and one of my uncles said, Tim, was that was that a ten foot hoop you were dunk? He was serious? I said, no, it was a seven foot high who.
Speaker 1: Still pretty good for a guy your height to jam on seven feet.
Speaker 2: Jeff, you could just dunk on seven feet.
Speaker 3: I could dunk on eight feet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yeah, you could be Kyle Schwarber in a race.
Speaker 1: I don't think I think you don't think I could dunk on an eight foot rim.
Speaker 2: I think you could dunk on an eight foot rim.
Speaker 3: Yes, we're gonna have to do a video of that.
Speaker 1: Now, is your rim still adjustable in your front It is? Okay, we have a gorilla in the front yard. Not your not your first one either. You you recently upgraded. And I don't know if anybody this.
Speaker 2: Is where I'm such a snob, Jeff, when it comes to outdoor basketball hoops. And I've told you this. If you're gonna put a hoop in the yard, it has to be an in ground hoop. It can't be on wheels. And I don't want to offend anyone who has a hoop on wheels, But if you want to be really good at shooting of basketball, you need to shoot it at a rim that is in the ground and it's not going to shake or move every time you hit rim.
Speaker 3: Ain't that the truth?
Speaker 2: Dad?
Speaker 3: Let's go into the take one.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well, I visited you on Monday, and that night I went to see the Phillies game's Jack Wheeler pitched. He pitched another great game, and it just just shows you how great the pitching is in the big leagues. We talk about this all the time, but I saw Mike Shilt, the Padres manager because they didn't score any runs off of Zach Wheeler and reliever. And he just said, like after the first inning, he just looked and said, oh my goodness, Like, what are we up against here? And he essentially said what I say every night. When these really good pitchers have their best stuff and they can command it, the hitter has virtually no chance. I mean, we talked last week about or the other day about you know, last week we had twenty four games in a two game span, twelve of them were shutouts. Never happened in the history of baseball. And you know Tuesday night last night before we taped three more shutouts. It happens all the time. And Jeff, just look at the strikeout rates that we're talking about. Raphael Devers, pretty darn good hitter, just finished twelve strikeouts in four games. No San Francisco Giant has ever done that that many strikeouts in four games. This is the same Devers, great hitter who started the season over nineteen with fifteen strikeouts. Aaron Judge at this taping has ninety seven strikeouts this season, and he is the best hitter in the game. Shohei Otani, who might be the second best hitter in the game struck out for the one hundredth time on Tuesday Night. This and these guys are great, but when you're facing pitching like this, you have very little chance. And now Jacob de gram of course is back. He's not the Jacob de gravavold, but he's still pretty darn good. Fourteen straight starts now, at least five innings pitched and no more than two earned runs. And here's what's happening now. Jeff like Otani came into the league with a big old leg kick, and that's where the power. That was his starter, that was his trigger, that's how he got things going. But so many hitters now, including o'tani, you have abandoned the leg kick because you're not going to catch up to one hundred miles an hour until you just go to a toe tap or have no stride at all. So many hitters today have had to adjust the way they swing the bat because the pitching that they see is so amazingly good.
Speaker 1: It's quick, it's fast, it's scary, it's impossible to keep up with. Anybody who thinks they can even make contact against a major leaguer right now is absolutely crazy.
Speaker 2: We've been over this, stupid Kirkchon quandary a million times. But average fan against any pitcher in the big leagues today one hundred swings, no contact, no hits, no balls, and play zero chance.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The last takeaway is that the as through Tuesday, the two longest winning streaks in the major leagues belonged to the Miami Marlins at eight games and five games by the Pittsburgh Pirates. And this is why baseball is the greatest game, Jeff. Two weeks ago, they were two of the five worst teams in baseball. Now they have the two longest winning streaks in the game. This is why the game is so beautiful. Is just the ebbs and flow. I just don't make any sense. And I'm not suggesting this is going to continue for the Marlins or the Pirates, but the fact that they have played this well for this period of time is really good. Paul Skins, by the way, who you mentioned the other day, the poor guy never gets any run support. Now he is the first he's the first pitcher ever to have an ERA this low. That's one forty four during a ten start stretch. And during that stretch he had zero or one victories. That is the lowest year since nineteen thirteen when earn runs became official. So that's low cra by any picture in a ten game stretch, and during that stretch the pitcher only had had one or zero victories. That's how little support Paul Skeins has got.
Speaker 1: That's very sad. All right, Dad, what about the cork Gins? What do you have for us?
Speaker 2: All right? So, Jeff, Tuesday night, I'm watching as many games as I can up at my office and Andy Van Slyly called me to tell me. In the Cubs game he saw something that he's never seen before. Three Cubs got thrown out on the bases in one inning. So the three outs were made and the batter didn't make the out in any of them. So he said, I've never seen that. And then you got a bunch of texts, and I got a bunch of texts and tweets and everything like when's the last time this happened? So I, of course, of course, you know, texted Frank from the Elias late last night because I know I've seen this before. I just can't remember when I saw it. So the last time this happened was in nineteen ninety one. The Angels were facing Mike Fetters in the sixth inning and they had two clot stealings and a guy out trying to stretch in one inning. So that was the last time nineteen ninety one? Wow, at three bat that three guys reached on base, reach base, three batters reach base and were all thrown out in the same inning.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a bunch of members and I would listen them all, but there were so many that messaged us, so thank you for being on top of that saying when was the last time this happened?
Speaker 2: We got it right, We got it for you, all right? Will you a brave you of the Red Sox hit an inside the park homer and a grand Slam in the same game. First player to do that since Roger Marris, who seems to be in every podcast these days. Did it be nineteen fifty eight? So I looked up Jeff the most home runs by anyone without an inside the park homer? This is not a surprise, but Albert Poolhols hit seven hundred and three homers without an inside the park homer. I think that's the most, but I know that he never hit one and he had seven oh three and Glenn Davis hit one hundred and ninety two homers in his career, which is the most by anyone who retired without a Grand Slam homer. So we have seven oh three and one ninety two and William brayhw did it both in the same game.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's kind of crazy, right.
Speaker 2: Pretty cool. Justin Foscue of the Rangers broke an OH for forty four stretch. It's stretched two years Tuesday Night, OH for forty four jet position player. The last position player to have anything that long was Chris Davis in twenty eighteen nineteen. I remember this distinctly. He was OH for fifty four. Yeah, Jeb, we just talked about the average fan. He had one hundred of bats at a major league No. No major leaguer OH for forty four, major leaguer zho for fifty four. Just not happen. Ronald Lacuna, junior leadoff guy for the Braves Tuesday Night, struck out four times. So that's the twenty first time we've been charting this all year, twenty first time that a leadoff guy has struck out four times in a game. That's the most ever before July fourth in baseball, history, which stands to reason because strikeout rate, which we've been talking about a lot during this podcast, is what it is. It's at a historically high level as it is, as it has been every year for at least the last fifteen years.
Speaker 1: Do I have this right that Ellie de la Cruz just passed Tony Gwinn's all time strikeouts. I did not know that, but yes, I'm surprised it took this long. Yeah, and think about the years of service. Ellie de la Cruz started his career in twenty twenty three and he currently has the total is four hundred and fifty four strikeouts. Okay, I'm just confirming this as I type. And Tony Gwyn, obviously a legend, played for almost twenty full seasons and his strikeouts four thirty four.
Speaker 2: So yep, yeah, yeah, more people will strike Several more people will strike out. Well, several people will strike out two hundred times this year. Tony Gwyn didn't strike out two hundred times in the decade of the nineties. Just think about that first.
Speaker 3: It's unbelievable, right, Okay, A couple last things.
Speaker 2: Jeff Steve Sparks, our new best friend broadcaster for the Astros, and of course, a good major league pitcher in his day sent me a text in the middle of the night with the attendance Jeff last night, but Tuesday night between the Rockies and the Astros, the attendance was thirty thousand three to oh three. What does that mean to you, Jeff, thirty thousand three to oh three.
Speaker 3: It's a palindrome.
Speaker 2: Palindrome. That's the second time this year. Steve pointed out that the Astros have had a palindromic attendance. And he keeps track of these things, and he asked, can I be a seam head? What are you crazy? You're a bigger seam head than I am. And he pitched in the big leagues. It was really good tendance levels.
Speaker 1: These are the things that bring us joy, very unfortunately right.
Speaker 2: So, also Tuesday night, Mason Montgomery got the loss in the rays A's game, and Mason Miller got the save. Mason is used to be I mean, no one was ever had a first name Mason until a few years ago in the big leagues. And so this was the first time that there's ever been any combination in win loss save that two guys who got a win loss or saved were named Mason. So that was the first time we've ever seen that.
Speaker 3: Two Mason's doing big things in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Right, and Brendan Little. Remember we had Brendan Little in the other day in our in our pictures of record, Well this time we ahead what do we have for Brendan Little? The last time a little little league? Yeah, no, no, no, it was a little little leisure, little leisure, little leisure Little got the win and Mark Lighter Juniors got the loss. So the pictures of record were a little lighter, A little lighter. I love that. That's what I am these days, a little lighter, not like I needed to be. Okay that those are the courttions for this week.
Speaker 1: Well, coming up next, we have on this date in baseball history, from Ozzie to Oral Dad. Are we knocking down one or two numbers from Ozzie to orl today?
Speaker 2: We've got to today because I'm not sure there's there's any question and there's no argument on either one, that's my guess.
Speaker 1: And then the best of all, Tim and a team Tim that's going to make you proud to be an American. It's all coming up next on is this a great game or what.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to? Is this a great game?
Speaker 2: Or what? Dad?
Speaker 1: On this date in baseball history, July the third, what do you got?
Speaker 2: Well? As you know, I try to get Walter Johnson into every podcast since I went. Did I ever tell you I went to Walter Johnson High School?
Speaker 3: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So on this date in nineteen thirteen, Walter Johnson pitched a fifteen hit shutout. Think about it, a fifteen hit shutout. Of course, the game lasted fifteen innings, and of course back then it was no surprise when Walter Johnson or almost any really good pitcher pitched all fifteen innings, but it was the most hits ever allowed in a shutout. Also on this date, in nineteen sixty six, Tony Kloninger hit two Grand Slams in one game. First National League player to hit two Grand Slams in one game, Jeff. And if you may not know this, but Tony Cloninger was a pitcher, So the first National leaguer to do it was a pitcher. And like a couple of weeks ear earlier, he had driven in five. On June the sixteenth, nineteen sixty six, he knocked in five runs in a game, which was the most RBIs in one game ever by a National League pitcher. And then he drove in nine runs on July the third, nineteen sixty six. Now, let's see, if you remember jeff I quiz you way too often. Give me. Give me two guys in major league history who you add up their Grand slams and they equal the number that Tony Klanager hit. A pitcher hit in one game. Two guys in major league history who had a lot of at bats, and each of them Derek Jeter.
Speaker 3: Derek Jeter way to go only one in his career, right, right.
Speaker 2: Right, And this guy had more at bats than anyone in major league history. Pete Sports, Pete Rose. So he and Derek Jeter had twenty and forty eight at bats official at bats not played appear and hit two Grand slams. Tony Klanger did hit two in one game and for the third time. He's a pitcher.
Speaker 3: All right, Dad? From Ozzie to Oral, are you ready to give us another number?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're at number twenty five. Barry Bonds is our number twenty five. I'm not sure there's a debate here. Now, let's keep in mind he wore number twenty four for the Pirates, won a couple MVPs wearing number twenty four, but when he got to the Giants, he couldn't wear number twenty four, Jeff.
Speaker 3: Because Willie Mays.
Speaker 1: Right, way to go, Jeff, if you miss they related, right, it's his godfather.
Speaker 2: Are they related? Yes, Willie Mays is Barry Bonds's godfather. Thank you for getting that right. But when he went, when Barry Bonds went to the Giants, his dad, Bobby Bonds, one of the great players that I grew up watching, or number twenty five. So he wore Bobby Bonds' number and he won five MVPs wearing number twenty five. He hit five hundred and eighty six homers as a giant. And sorry, Jeff, I know we're not allowed to talk about this given Barry Bonds's history, but for me, the three greatest hitters of all time are in order, Babe, Ruth, Ted, Williams, Barry Bonds. That's it. That's the list.
Speaker 3: Sorry, in that order too, one, two, three, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And again a lot of people will will argue with that, and I understand you can have any list you like, but that's my list. So long story, but I'll make it quick. Aj Prasinski, I want you to ask him, what's the greatest thing you've ever seen in baseball? And he laughed at me. He said, I played one year with Barry Bonds. I've never seen anything like it, so I'll be close on this. But he said that. Barry walked into the clubhouse before the first game of the season in Houston and he announced to the whole team, Hey, in this three game series, I'm going to get a whole bunch of hits. I'm gonna be on base, but I'm not going to hit any homers because i want to make sure I hit my first homer of the year when we return home, because Willie Mays is going to be there, and I want to tie his home run totals six sixty while he's in the stands. So for three games in Houston, yes, Barry Bonds, like had a tremendous three games. I forget the numbers, it's not important. He was on base, he drove in runs, he walked everything else. He gets home first game, he announces to his team because they're home, I'm going to hit a homer today because Willy's here. So he hit a home run. Next day, Willy is there and he says, I'm going to hit another homer today because I'm going to pass Willy. I want to pass Willie, my godfather, while he's in the stands. And the next day he hit number six sixty six one one. That's the story that Aj Prasinski told me that Willy was hitting home runs on command.
Speaker 1: Too hard for that, Jeff, I know, when you think about how great these hitters are to have that control, it's just unbelievable, right all right, Dad, number twenty six from Ozzie to orl.
Speaker 3: Who's the best player to wear that number?
Speaker 2: It's Wade Bogs. You know. He also wore twelve when he went to the Yankees, but in his career with the Red Sox he wore number twenty six. Remember Wade Bogs lifetime three, twenty eight hitter. He won five batting titles, four of them in a row, got seven, he got two hundred hits seven years in a row. And his career on base percentage is four fifteen, which is top twenty of all time. And I'll never forget Wade Bogs told me at the Hall of Fame one year. He was telling me that his eighth I can't prove this jet but his eighth year in the league, he hit a towering foul fly ball like down the right field line, deep into the crowd, and he looked at the umpire and the Empire looked it back at him. He said, what, and Wade Bog says, I've never done that before. As you know, Wade Bogs hit a lot of balls on the ground. He rarely put a ball in the air because you know, he fouled out to an infielder like three times in one season and that's a real statistic. But he never pulled it and he never hit it in the air. So when he hits this deep fly foul ball deep into the stands down the right field line, he claims he had never done that before. And as crazy as his career was, I believe it. And Jeff, here's how good he was in his prime. I wrote a story about him for the Dallas Morning News or Sports Illustrated. I don't know who I was with, not important and Rich Donelly, my dear friend told me. He said, we've decided the best way to play Wade Bogs to try to stop him from spraying the ball. All over the field. We're going to take the eight fielders behind the pitcher and we're just going to line them up in center field, and as soon as the ball is pitched, they're just going to scatter in every direction and maybe maybe someone will get in front of a ball and catch it. That's how hard it was to defend Wade Bogs.
Speaker 1: And I don't know what's more impressive, Dad. Three home runs for Barry Bonds in one season. We're seventy three beers on a cross country flight for wait Box, same number.
Speaker 3: I don't know which one's more impressive, Jeff.
Speaker 2: The year that I sorry went into Coopersown with the Lifetime Achieman Award.
Speaker 1: Backp You do not need to apologize, Dad, you have spent years working hard.
Speaker 2: Just stop it.
Speaker 3: I know you hate it. Not the point of this, okay, Please continue?
Speaker 2: All right. The night of the speech that I made so all the pressure is off, I walked down downstairs into the restaurant bar at the Oda Saga Hotel, and who is doing like karaoke down there? You and who else?
Speaker 3: Wade Box?
Speaker 2: Right here? It is. Here's a guy I grew up covering watchings, just dazzled by his ability and I go in there and you're singing a song with Wade Bogs. Do you remember any of the songs you were singing? Oh yeah, we did Piano Man by Billy Joel. Really yeah, could Wade Bogs sing? I mean yeah?
Speaker 3: But he say every line for him was and.
Speaker 1: The microphone smells leg a beer. No, he has been nothing but gracious and nice in the times I've had an opportunity to meet him, and he's he loves to have a good time.
Speaker 2: Jip, that's a claim to fame. You've been saying karaoke with one of the great third basement of all time and the greatest number twenty six ever. I love that.
Speaker 1: I'll take that to the bank, all right, dad, best of all, Tim, Who what team are we doing this week?
Speaker 2: Well? Which may do the Texas Rangers, because this weekend I'm doing the Rangers and the Padres. So the greatest Texas Ranger of all time for me is pad Rodriguez. He won the MVP as a Ranger in nineteen ninety nine. He won thirteen Gold Gloves in his career, one of the great defensive catchers ever. Of them were with the Rangers thirteen years their career. Average of three oh four and in eight twenty eight ops. And get this, Jeff, I'll never forget this. He made his major league debut on June the twentieth, nineteen ninety one. He was nineteen years old, and he got married that morning and made his major league debut. This was at Kmiski Park in Chicago that night, and he got a hit, drove in two runs, and threw out two guys trying to steal. Because there were very, very very few catchers in major league history that were quicker behind the plate and threw better than Pad Rodriguez. So, Jeff, I mean, what was Let's see, he threw out two runners. You on your wedding day, you threw down twenty beers? Is that fair to say?
Speaker 1: You know, it's actually funny. And my wife will kill me for telling this story. But we were engaged for like eighteen months. We had a long engagement. We planned a wedding for eighteen months out after our engagement. And she might have told me Dad once a month, Jeff, just do me a favor.
Speaker 3: Don't drink too much our wedding night.
Speaker 1: I don't want you to be going too crazy, right, and it just we'd be out and she'd be like, better.
Speaker 3: Not drink that much at are okay?
Speaker 1: And who was the one who ended up having just that extra drink that they might not have probably needed was my.
Speaker 3: Wife, Emily.
Speaker 1: Here, I am stone cold sober at my own wedding because I was busy talking to people and dancing. I wasn't even thinking about where my drink is because I was talking to people. And then all of a sudden, I see my wife and she goes, yeah, that was a that was a fun night.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, yep, you were.
Speaker 1: The one, not me, right well, Jeff, so I didn't put down twenty beers, thankfully.
Speaker 2: Thankfully you weren't there at our wedding in nineteen eighty three. But at the reception at the hotel, a couple of pros, more than a couple pros, somehow got into the reception. When I say pros, Jeff Hookers came into the reception because there were so many people there, they figured we could get in have a few drinks. I don't know. It was not good.
Speaker 1: And your father in law, my grandfather, had to escort them out right right.
Speaker 2: He chucked them. He chucked them out, which was a little disappointing because the one that I was dancing with was really really nice. Dad, Come all right, now, that's the biggest stupidest joke ever. Yes, Daddy, Pat made sure we got rid of the hookers at our reception in nineteen eighty three.
Speaker 3: All right, Dad, team Tim right now for you.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow's the fourth of July. I'm guessing you have a team about.
Speaker 2: That, right, I do, Jeff, And I've told you before about the reaches that we've had, the stretches that we've had. This I'm sure is the biggest reach ever, the whole team. Okay, but I had to try, really tried hard on this, and I really failed. But I'm going to do the best I can. The All July fourth team, which is also Independence Day. So there's two words for it. So our first basement is Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Freeman, I like it.
Speaker 2: Jackson Holiday is our second. Red Rolf is our third baseman. There will be a theme here to a guy named Red. Okay, we've got that. The shortstop is Pat Rocket played for the Grave Rock, right, Devon White, So now we are red and White United States. We're getting closer. Right. Curtis Pride is one of our outfielders. Ed Freed is one.
Speaker 3: Of our outfielders from from the British.
Speaker 2: I'm here for it, right. Vida Blue is one pitcher the White, White, and Blue didn't see it coming, right, Steve Sparks, who we mentioned earlier in the podcast, right, and uh my final three pitchers are Jeff Francis, Mike Scott and Jimmy Key. I love that, say it out loud.
Speaker 3: Francis Scott Key baby, Okay, now.
Speaker 1: He wrote the Star Spangled banner and I used to be an intern for the Frederick Keys.
Speaker 3: Named after Francis Scott Key.
Speaker 2: There you go, Jef. And the last one, and we're really going to test you on this one. And this is the biggest reach in the history of all of these dumb team tims that I've done. The catcher is Blake Sable. Let's see if you remember I've mentioned him multiple times. Blake Sable? How much baseball?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yes, so Blake Sable is our catcher because he has the word baseball in his name. So that's well. Yes, July fourth is a big baseball holiday.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, I believe it. I believe it. I'm all for it.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Dad, Baseball okay, baseball catcher. I couldn't find another catcher. I had to go with Blake Sable. I love it, Dad, great job. Happy Fourth of July to everybody out there. And now we wrap up with I am a seamhead, Dad.
Speaker 1: Now I was reached out to by our seamhead, Chris Donnelly. Okay, so he is a New Jersey author.
Speaker 2: Dad.
Speaker 1: He wrote a book called Get Your Tokens Ready, and it's all about the Mets Yankees from nineteen ninety seven, the start of Interleague to the last out of the two thousand World Series, the Subway series. Right, so, you can get the book wherever. It's called Get your Tokens Ready, you can get on Amazon.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And well, it's the twenty fifth anniversary obviously of the Subway series this year. Would be really neat to have a Subway series on the twenty fifth anniversary of it. But he has explained to us what makes him such a big seamhead.
Speaker 4: Hey, guys, I think I am a seamhead because I have memorized more useless information about the nineteen nineties in New York Yankees than any human beings should be allowed. I can tell you the opening day starters for each year of that decade were Dave Lapointe, Tim Leary, Scott Sanderson, Jimmy Key, Jimmy Key, Jimmy Key, David Cone, David Cone, Andy Pettitt, Roger Clemens. That the first Yankees to hit home runs and each year of that decade were Mel Hall, Kevin Moss, Mel Hall, Danny Tartable, Danny Tartable, Danny Tartable, Derek Jeter, Tino Martinez, were A Pasada, and Chile Davis.
Speaker 2: For some reason, I can.
Speaker 4: Tell you that in nineteen ninety one, Don Baddingley hit nine home runs against eight different teams in order, the Tigers, the A's, the Orioles, the Blue Jays, the Rangers, the Twins, the Tigers, the Red Sox, and lastly the Indians, and that he was benched on August fifteenth, nineteen ninety one for not cutting his hair. My name is Chris Donnelly and I am a seamhead.
Speaker 1: It's pretty impressive that he, I mean, wrote a book about those that era, But I mean, I don't think most people could remember who got the first hit of the season on their favorite team for that long of a period.
Speaker 2: This is why there are seam heads out there in baseball, and maybe there are seam heads out there in football. They can't be called seamheads baseball only baseball can you be called a seamhead. But and I'm sure they're similar in basketball. But there are more guys like Chris Donnelly than than in other sports. I mean, I'm right about that. I mean, his recall and the research he did is pretty darned impressive. And that's why we love seamheads, and that's when we love when they contribute to the show.
Speaker 1: We've got a couple lined up, but if you want to be a part of the lineup of seamheads, you can email me Jeff at Great Game or what dot com, send me a voice memo, just like Chris did. End it with I'm Jeff Krikchen and I am a seamhead and we'd love to play it on the air for you, Dad, I hope you have a wonderful fourth of July. I know you're traveling, and I want to make sure everybody remembers to watch you, Dad. Sunday Night, July sixth, it'll be the Padres hosting the Rangers. You're going to be doing Sunday Night Baseball. Who's on the crew with you, Dad.
Speaker 2: Roxy Bernstein. We've got Jessica Mendoza and we've got Aldon Gonzalez. It's going to be great. Love those love that team. We should have a tremendous time. Love Petco Park. I mean it's so alive. When the Padres, oh, they love their team there. They got to start playing a little better here. And of course I'm going to see Mary Chavodi and my cousin while I'm in San Diego. She loves the Padres and she's going to the game on Sunday night.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be special, Dad, We'll all be watching.
Speaker 1: And thank you for listening, and as always, thank you for being a part of our family.