Speaker 1: Every day a week. Click your ass up the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Finish for y'all mourning.
Speaker 3: Everybody's thej Envy Jess Hilarious, Charlamagne the Guy.
Speaker 4: We are the Breakfast Club. We got some special guest.
Speaker 5: In the belt Man Legends.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: We have the legendary kid from Kidding.
Speaker 6: Play and we have welcome fellas, some legends in.
Speaker 4: The game killing good wait, chilling.
Speaker 7: That's right, y'all celebrating so much Man thirty fifth anniversary a house party, and y'all are being inducted into the National Hip Hop Museum.
Speaker 5: Kidding Play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Wow, yeahs in full force.
Speaker 5: You're still getting money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you.
Speaker 8: Split this six ways because the three of us are the full force brothers, Paul Anthony b Fine, then we have our three cousins, Baby, Jerry and Kurt.
Speaker 9: Six way collective, full.
Speaker 2: Force except house party royalties except house party.
Speaker 8: Yes, Oh, y'all don't get the three of us is just the three of us, and we don't split it six My type of hype the song.
Speaker 2: And gotch it's the lines.
Speaker 5: What y'all look younger? Now, y'all did a house party. I can't believe they tried.
Speaker 1: To make believe you'll.
Speaker 10: Jesus, I understand that the cafeteria, but you know what, in a weird way, it kind of worked. I mean the whole movie was kind of over the top, you know, all that all that colors. So yeah, I mean, I hear more about that now than we did then. People weren't really complaining about it, or.
Speaker 1: You didn't noticing it as much, you know what I mean.
Speaker 11: As you guys are celebrating this anniversary, what are some of the things that you instantly think back to, because I being on set probably was just like an experience.
Speaker 4: But before you're into that house play doings player.
Speaker 10: Uh, they had some how would we classify? Yeah, yeah, he had some accommodation difficulties this morning, so shout out to play hotel.
Speaker 1: He's here in Spirit. Yeah, his hotel was okay.
Speaker 8: Well, don't give the name in a hotel, but I think you told me that there was some here.
Speaker 5: I just saw the tell.
Speaker 4: The airport.
Speaker 11: Then you really have hotel accommodation issues or that was a joke play, I.
Speaker 5: Was joking with the mouse.
Speaker 1: I don't know that part is that part?
Speaker 10: That part is real, you know, but you know, I know, you know, we all go back a little wat here so, but he's definitely.
Speaker 1: A hearing spirit.
Speaker 10: But to your to your question, I guess with each anniversary, each milestone, because you get to like it was ten twenty twenty five, we're actually at thirty five. Is kind of a kind of a bug out, and now you're at the point where, okay, well.
Speaker 1: Who's still here? You know what I mean?
Speaker 10: I lost, We didn't lost some of the soldiers and whatnot. But I think, but to your point, a lot of it and we were talking about this the other guy or the other day. Is it's stuff like that happened on set. I mean, for a lot of us, it was our first film. We wasn't making a lot of money. We didn't have a lot of money then or whatever. But it was kind of the joy and the camaraderie of of doing it and it stood to this day, which is.
Speaker 2: A how did that for?
Speaker 3: How did it come together? How did the whole house party didn't come together? Y'all were young, y'all were fresh that were just kicking off.
Speaker 4: How did they decide we're going.
Speaker 3: To do a movie based on y'all? And how much did y'all get paid back then? I'm just kidding well, well, DJ and V. You you know how hot kidd and play was in the city at that time. Okay, we were, but no, we were. We were playing out were hot, and not.
Speaker 10: Just just the music, but the videos were really starting the bus and our look and sound and vibe. So Rezzie had Linda director, one of the producers, used to uh, it was his idea. It was his Harvard thesis that he turned into a full length feature script, and he would occasionally step to us in the clubs because he wanted us to do our music. He wanted to do our music videos. But we were cool on that. We had somebody for that at the time. Then he started pushing the script. I read the script. We read the script, and it was the first thing that we had gotten that had been submitted to us that was really it was close. You know, it wasn't one hundred percent, but I felt like it was like seventy seventy five, and I was like, I thought we could get at the rest of the way. And you know, that's the cliff notes version. And I think there's a famous story going on at that time where it could have been us, or it could have been fresh Prince and jazzy Jeff Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is something. There's something to that.
Speaker 5: I feel like y'all predated him just a little bit though, right.
Speaker 10: Not about the same time, though, Charlottage. If you think about it, you're talking about eighty seven, eighty eight. Matter of fact, Willing then blew up nationally, I think a little bit ahead of us.
Speaker 1: Remember they had the party lines and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 10: So yeah, but yeah, definitely, and so we're definitely that same era. And guess what, to this day, I'm sure they would have did a great job, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I can't see nah, I mean, I mean, that's kind of crazy to say that. In hindsight, I.
Speaker 5: Guess, but I just can't see it.
Speaker 2: The chemistry was crazy. We talked about that.
Speaker 6: We did an online tribute to see a j from Africa and t Sha and everybody, and what we talked about was the seasoning of the little things that that makes it really whole and the chemistry that we all had, and everybody spoke of, you know, their parts, like and all of us didn't know everybody's journey. Like we started asking t Sha, so, teacher, how did you hook up? And they was like school days and Jackson, well, what made y'all do that dancing? And she said, I didn't do that. Be Agent choreographed the whole thing. And then it was just so much thing that we were just finding out, you know. So to your point, that's in chemistry.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and also to Reggie Huddling, Uh, he had the benefit of leaning on all our individual talents.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. You know that that T and AJ could just come up.
Speaker 10: With a you know, with a dance battle routine like that to go up against you know, the dances that Play and.
Speaker 1: I were doing.
Speaker 10: You know that doesn't that doesn't necessarily come in the package. You know, you need you need you need a battle rap. Well, you know, Kid and Play can provide that. You need a big song like ain't my type of hype for the dance battle, Well for us can provide that.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: So you know, I think you know, he definitely benefited.
Speaker 10: From our some of our superpowers that we kind of brought to the table. But like I said, being so young, we were just like you know, we weren't like you know, uh, being asked to do something extra. Wasn't like yo, yo, I need to get let's just do it. Let's do it, and you know, we'll see at the top.
Speaker 8: You know, the original script with me and my brother's the original script when Reggie wrote it. It had full Force described in the script as descriptions.
Speaker 5: We weren't even cast.
Speaker 8: Then it said something that kidn't play or accosted by droopy Jerry Curroll.
Speaker 9: Guys were great physiqus somebody like full force.
Speaker 2: That was literally in the scriptscription.
Speaker 8: So Robert Ford, who used to co produce our music with us, it was a good firm of Reggie, said, Reggie, why didn't you just get full force? And then that's when he made a phone call to my brother Paul. The three of us got together. Now in the script, I think we were the first ones to start bum rushing the script, the original script. After we did the tablew'd, I told my brothers and said, man, we're just like bullies with no personalities in this. Listen, my brothers was supposed to be pee Wee. I said, Pubby pee Wee, you're the your stab.
Speaker 12: Now talk like this throughout the whole movie, you know, kicking some fucking ass. And then we just create our own roles and we created our own scenes, and then we showed Reggie and Warrington huddling.
Speaker 9: They came to.
Speaker 8: See the three of us do our things with blood brothers anyway, so our chemistry is great. And Warrington as soon as he saw did Warrington Hudland say keep it? And Reggie Hudland said, you heard my brother keep it?
Speaker 1: And so it wasn't it wasn't no kick your hand, there wasn't.
Speaker 13: No, it's not like you should have got.
Speaker 5: You noticed. Man said that randomly for no reason.
Speaker 1: I heard, no reason.
Speaker 2: That happens in the street. That happens everywhere. People that all the time.
Speaker 9: Sometimes I say it before they say it.
Speaker 6: Just and on the set, Martin was like a little brother everybody. And the best word that describes that whole experience was unity. Your smooth segue into while we're here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So wait a minute, who wrote the jail house rap? Because you Reggie? Okay, all right, I'm like, ain't no way Reggie wrote that.
Speaker 10: No, no, but this typically, like I said, Reggie would come to you, uh, the night before or two nights before and say.
Speaker 1: Hey man, we need a rap in the in the jail. M You know what I'm saying. You gotta write a rap in the jail.
Speaker 10: Herbie did a little beat you know when he said, Yo, we need a we need a rap battle.
Speaker 1: Trust me, all that stuff wasn't in the original. But it wasn't.
Speaker 10: But but at his credit though no, he recognized it. So by the time we into the movie. Now we a few weeks into the movie and he's seeing really who he's working with. He's like, man, I ain't nothing. I can't throw these dudes. These young as is down for whatever. Yo, we need a battle rap Okay. So that means I have to write it and play gotta do excuse me, I have to write it. Play has to perform it. Herbie got to do do the beat within a within a couple of days.
Speaker 1: So you know, I mean when you look at it now, I mean.
Speaker 10: To your to your point, just a lot of times people would have been like, all right, well you know that's that's that that didn't come with the original, right, you know what I mean. But that's just not what the mentality was back then. The mentality was like, let's go, let's let's just do it.
Speaker 7: I was in here with murderer, murderers and stranglers, you got it, just a bunch of romp Wranglers.
Speaker 5: That's wophobia was hilarious.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I will say this that I will say this.
Speaker 1: He got.
Speaker 5: Hilarious when you're.
Speaker 1: I'll say this. The jail rap has not aged.
Speaker 10: Well, wait till the point where one time I was watching, I was flipping and I see House Party on v H one, and he got to the point where the jail rap is supposed.
Speaker 1: To come out. Cut that bitch out.
Speaker 10: It's just like, you know, you know what the executives a v H one, Oh no.
Speaker 1: What's funny. When you were young?
Speaker 7: I was twelve, House Party came out. When you were young, you're thinking to yourself, and that's what jail is. So I just looked at from the perspective of you were just trying to take your butt right, that's.
Speaker 1: Number one priority.
Speaker 10: If you remember, there was I think I said one line was coming from the heart, from the center, the sign on my ass.
Speaker 1: And guess what we did this.
Speaker 10: We shot it at eighty nine. It came out of ninety. Nobody better than I. They were like, yeah, man.
Speaker 1: Freaking broke Wranglers.
Speaker 6: You know the only thing we fought for in that movie is that new line cinema out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: They wanted to make it PG. Thirteen.
Speaker 4: We went, I couldn't been.
Speaker 1: They would have warded it down.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you know what you know that didn't happen.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know what I'm saying because to B. B always makes his point and rightly. So you know the vernacular, you know, even in the jail rap or I smell pussy, the cuss words.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's how that's how we all spoke at that.
Speaker 10: Time in our lives as teenagers, you know what I mean? And and that's why that's why it holds up, it holds up to this day because it wasn't just about kidd and Play. Kid and Play was top line, but this became an ensemble movie. So you went from kidd and Play, You went to Full Force, You went to Robin Harris, you went to John Witherspoon, next Door talking Ship, George Clinton, you went to T and AJ showing that bond between homegirls and this is that little little rivalry.
Speaker 1: Darald Chill Mill peace right.
Speaker 10: So uh you know, And that's how that's how it evolved, and that's how why it's stood so strong to this day.
Speaker 11: And all the writing that you did, did you write for play as well, or did he write things that he did and himself well?
Speaker 10: And that the movie In terms of the battle, I wrote both parts because and early on that that would happen from time to time.
Speaker 1: He and I were so.
Speaker 10: Tight that I knew I knew how to write for him, to put him in the best position possible, you know what I mean. And obviously we're together all the time. I know how he thinks and stuff like that. And also too, you can't just think of the rap battle as a battle per se. You have to think of it in terms of it, you know, theatrically and and how you're writing it. You know, Play has to he has to take.
Speaker 1: The early lead.
Speaker 10: He has to be you know, he has to be whipping my ass basically the first part of the of the battle.
Speaker 1: And then in the end, you know what I mean, I come.
Speaker 10: When I come riding in on the horse to kind of take it in the end, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: Yeah, But she didn't ask about the chemistry.
Speaker 8: She just basically said, so all this time in your career, you've been the ghost writer for Play.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, that's that that would be, that would be That is not.
Speaker 11: What I specifically what I was going to go back. I can ask a second question because I didn't. I want to know that was down.
Speaker 1: That would be inaccurate. I mean, somebody did a lot, a lot. I didn't.
Speaker 10: But if you're talking about that particular thing, yeah, I mean, look, we all between myself, Play and Herbie Lovebug, we were all together. We were a team, but everybody had their own kind of superpowers. My thing was the lyrics, you know on the music. Tip plays genius was. You know, He's the reason we looked the way we looked. He's the reason why we look cool. He's the reason why we dressed the way we dressed. He's the reason why the album covers, which were very important at that time, were styled the way they were. He's the one with the concepts of the music videos. Herbie oversaw everything. Herbie made the beats. Herbie was the one that you brought. You brought the record to him when you thought it was done, and he's like, no, it's not done. I mean, Herbie was Diddy before Diddy, you know, musically and creatively.
Speaker 1: So that's the thing.
Speaker 10: So when so when it was time for each one of us to kind of lean into those our little special power. You know, we did that as long as we win in the end.
Speaker 3: What you asked, what your flat top? Right, you didn't have a typical flat tip. That he was like foot long pause. Right when you got that flat tip and you came home with that, what did your mother say at that time?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: Right, what did your family say?
Speaker 10: Well, well, my mother had passed by then, God rest his sword, so I would have gave that white woman a heart attack. Okay, but no, my my I was raised by my Jamaican father, so he was none too pleased. He's like, your air looked like ebra. I'm Lincoln's hot, and my father was He was not. He was Jamaican and he was not a proponent of the hip hop life. You just love this black life, don't you.
Speaker 1: You're He never called it hip hop music. He said, y'all just love this, y'all got y'all got mulesic. And then after everything blows up, you know, he retired.
Speaker 10: I took him to the dealership to buy him a car.
Speaker 1: He was like, I always believed in.
Speaker 10: You give me that black legs us.
Speaker 1: Throw some DS on nothing.
Speaker 10: No, I just you know what I had to I wanted to use the same instinct that told me to do the high top in the first place. I always trusted that the same instinct would tell me when it was time to move off. So we had an opportunity when we started doing the movie Class Act, where I knew there was gonna be an opportunity to move to a different hairstyle, being the twist or dreads or what it eventually became. And uh so that's when I made the move, and I almost got in trouble for it. We always got in trouble when Warner Brothers signed us of that film and they heard I was thinking about changing the hot top, they threatened to sue us because they felt like, we're buying everything.
Speaker 1: Nigga, we're getting all that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 10: So we went back and forth when we compromised in terms of I would start the movie with the high top and then and then go to the twist, and then I never went back. And so this is shooting in like ninety one ninety two, so I haven't worn it since then, but it's still ever present. I think I think someone's working on a tombstone.
Speaker 1: That looked like a hot time. I will eventually be buried, but that's one.
Speaker 10: Of those things you can't you can't anticipate that either, that that's gonna resonate so many years.
Speaker 7: Going after brothers the full force. You know, y'all always noticed producers and musicians. Right when y'all started playing the villains comedic Villains and House Party? When did you realize that you had to have versatility in entertainment?
Speaker 10: You up, but that's kind of think that's kind of what you did in House Party because you kind of you kind of played that role in Cross.
Speaker 2: Groove right right.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean groove.
Speaker 6: A lot of people don't know is that from kids. You know, we were always acting, always doing skits, making our parents watch and lou like for five Christmases in a row sometime he was twelve, he would get the same thing for Christmas. Canna give a show projector so he was always like filming and making us. I mean, he was making us do these plays. So when we when we started acting and doing it as we got older, people didn't know. But for us it was like nothing like if you remember the scene with us in the lunch room and I'm punching kid and then Luis goes, wait, wait, wait, okay, no, no, no, no, none of that's in the script. Matter of fact, a lot of things we did happen right there on set and we're just winging it the wrap all all of that. But that's because us, as kids doing it, we kind to know what you're gonna say, or if we don't, we play off of it.
Speaker 5: So y'all always understood the power of versatility.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, and it was a natural progression for us.
Speaker 6: That's why Hollywood looked for so many rappers because you were so authentic.
Speaker 2: My dad always tell us, don't you know, don't sing the song become the song.
Speaker 6: When I was producing, when I'm doing volks with Payla Bell or LaToya Jackson Lisa, I always say, don't sing the song become the song. So I think it was the same thing. It was just a natural progression for us. So we knew that you had to have versatile energy.
Speaker 3: The other thing, music would get back to the time where it was fun. Yes, like where y'all were dancing like you look at now and you go to the club now, you're not gonna see people dancing like the.
Speaker 4: Way you guys did right or the way we dance.
Speaker 3: Like you just don't see it anymore. Do you think it could get back to that funness?
Speaker 2: I think I do think so.
Speaker 6: I think I think the first thing is well, I think so because I think music is getting back to real songs. That's why you hear rapper samples, I hear real melodies. I think melo these are coming back, and saying has come back. When I do HBCU as appearances, I mean they're dressed like us, they're dancing like us, and you look for that old flavor and they doing some of the old dances and the old vibe and old energy.
Speaker 2: But I think it's coming back.
Speaker 6: It's going to be too because technology is just different. I mean when we all came up, even you know that we are significantly older than some. If you hear you might have caught that last wave of like those house parties, those.
Speaker 2: Basement jams, yo, those those were real. I mean those Rob's Club. I don't think it's going to come back in that way.
Speaker 6: I mean, everybody's buried in their phone, even at the parties, and you know, and dance was everything.
Speaker 2: You know, even when you had those parties, you had the hood rock dudes, you.
Speaker 6: Had the people that you know could dance. You had dance battles that I mean, this happened at every party. That type of texture is not the same. I remember, it's not and I think it's coming.
Speaker 3: Remember the last ten minutes of a party being R and B and you go have that girl for the last for your.
Speaker 6: When you were like just waiting for the slow jam and you ain't not the one you're gonna go to the come on yet that that Brothers joint or or heat wave.
Speaker 7: To get back to what year y'all talking because the reality it could be the early two thousands.
Speaker 5: We used to like dancing has never gone anywhere.
Speaker 4: I think to you, it happn't we go to clubs.
Speaker 7: Now they may not dance in the club, but they just dance like TikTok, that's what they dance.
Speaker 5: And then and then in the South, we never stopped dancing. In the South, were creating the dances in your New York Nigga.
Speaker 13: Was hating on it, but that's where he's saying though, Like like the part dancing at a party, people dancing front and all that, but actual like the actual feel of a house party with nobody in their phone.
Speaker 9: They just all having fun.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, that's what.
Speaker 5: We need affordable housing.
Speaker 10: Then because people, you know, and then it's and then it's about the interaction between people. You know, it's why, it's why the kid in Play dance it is still people still enjoying that because you got to do it with somebody.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 10: It's a celebratory dance, you know what I mean. You you got a new job, do the kid and play? You just buzz or ut.
Speaker 6: But to Charlemagne's point, if you go down south, go to Virginia, oh yeah, they still rocking, They still dancing, They still doing it in the clubs and the schools.
Speaker 1: Everything.
Speaker 2: It all depends on the ground.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I mean.
Speaker 3: And then y'all changed it with the Switch was even crazy because now if you get a girl that you are like Switch, you're gonna write.
Speaker 4: To that one and you want But I don't.
Speaker 10: Know what happens now because the the the bottle service generation kind of moved out the dance generation.
Speaker 1: But all the inf that I'm getting online.
Speaker 10: In social media these days is that that bottle stuff is kind So what are people supposed to do now?
Speaker 1: You know, I still.
Speaker 10: Travel around the country either doing kidding play stuff or doing stand up so you know, they'll take you around to the clubs and whatnot.
Speaker 1: And I don't know, I don't you know, they'll they'll put me somewhere.
Speaker 10: I'm just I'm just looking. I feel like I'm a head of state.
Speaker 2: You know, you better not.
Speaker 11: You guys know, I don't know what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: You guys?
Speaker 11: I saw uh it was it was some time ago, but the least at lisa documentary or biopic, you guys not being included, and people were really upset about that. How did you guys feel personally though, because you guys have been in all the videos and.
Speaker 9: I'll speak on this trying to make it nicely.
Speaker 8: What happened is that at the time, I didn't know if there was any type of uh A negativity or anything like that until I saw Lisa and Tony Minaj who's her manager, do interviews together. I was kind of surprised at that. But as far as the movie, we weren't in it. You know, it's their movie, Tony and Lisa, they executive produced it. Coach Jam now was in it, and the coach Jam was mentioned. Col Jam wasn't down with all of that. Because nobody came to cult Jam, even though in interviews they said, well, you know, Coke Jam in full Force.
Speaker 9: It's everybody's confused.
Speaker 8: That was the reasoning they said that they didn't mention full Force because people would get confused with Cold Jam and full Force, and that's why they kind.
Speaker 6: Of you know, as a collective, we all have different personality theorists, but we come together. I'm a little boy, more direct in your face, so we want to wed. We did a show. We did a show and when I when they asked us a question, I said, to.
Speaker 2: Quote my dear brother burning in heaven something. She just don't make no sense.
Speaker 6: I said it on stage because it was bullshit. Okay, that's what it was. How can you do something like that without us? Yeah, okay, but I understand what they did, but it was just bullshit.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 8: What it was to was that they wanted to interject Tony the manager into the Lisa Lisa and co Jam career, to tell her story too. And she's you know, she's a nice person, talented also, but at the time in the movie that timeline, Tony wasn't there in that timeline.
Speaker 9: It's Cold Jam.
Speaker 8: They you can go on YouTube, and you'll see a YouTube to that says Cold Jam sets the record straight because they wanted people to know the scenario.
Speaker 9: At that timeline, it.
Speaker 8: Was just salsa, Lisa in Full Force and Cold Jam at the time, like Tony didn't come as far as managing Lisa by herself until down the line, maybe five six years before that, you know. But but after all of that, we weren't mad. You know, there was a backlash by a lot of fans and stuff like that, like how could you do that? My thing is that life is too short. Let's have a nice used to Lisa, col Jam and Full Force reunion together on the stage, because.
Speaker 2: I know we tried to do it before. It's okay.
Speaker 11: I think to sentiment, it's like when people tell the certain stories, there are certain things that you have to mention.
Speaker 2: The oversight was like intention.
Speaker 6: That was blade and I know I know Lisa wasn't gonna go to to over the top. Her and I always had a special bond. That's why she would have headband like me all the time. But I mean, some stuff that doesn't make sense. You can still get a point, of course, without shoveling the bullshit.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, so be that as it may. Moving on.
Speaker 5: So did they say anything, how did they explain that?
Speaker 6: They apologize nicely after after I know, not to us, but we got worried that after the back like they were getting they will say yo, they put we love them and all that, you know.
Speaker 4: So you know, we talked about it earlier, and I was just curious.
Speaker 3: Y'all get tired of the things that people know about you the most, right, Like do people come to the airport but like, let's do a kid and play kickstap, Like do people.
Speaker 4: Come to me I smell? Like do y'all hate that? Or is it one of those things that just shows love?
Speaker 6: Yeah, shows love and it never gets I appreciate that every time. You know, that's how we're going to extend live forever stuff.
Speaker 10: Like yeah, yeah, I mean, if you really think about it, you know what I mean, sometimes I'll bug out, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I remember, I remember.
Speaker 10: I was I was I think I was still in college and I was working at this fucked up bank, green Point Savings.
Speaker 1: Bank, you know what I mean.
Speaker 10: Business Still, I was just I was just miserable. I had a supervisor that was really hawking me. Man she was really jocking it. So every time she went to the other side of the floor, I'd whip out this notebook and that I had all my rhymes in it and all a lot of the stuff that became the songs on our first album. And I just remember saying to myself, I gotta give the fuck.
Speaker 1: Out of here, man, you know what I mean.
Speaker 10: And now to see where stuff like that is gone, just words on a page to to you know, to conquering the toughest rap environment and most crucial rap environment ever existed. You know, we came out to try state that wasn't no, that was no small feat back then. The envy you know this, y'all know that, y'all y'all know this.
Speaker 1: We had to. We had to. You know.
Speaker 10: We we going to and performing at the Latin Quarters every weekend.
Speaker 1: It wasn't just a test of your test of your skill. It was a test of your manhood. It was a test of where.
Speaker 10: You know, going to Union Square you can get stabbed up, shot up. But we came back every single weekend and this and that. So, yeah, it's the words that that took life. It's the dances that that that that people still do to this day, it's hairstyles and stuff that people still talk about.
Speaker 1: It blows you.
Speaker 10: It blows your mind, to be honest. So so so when it gets when those references are made to all of us, I think I can speak for the fellas and for play. You're like, man, we appreciate it, you know what I mean? Timings everything though, when you do.
Speaker 4: I go from the airport, I almost just did the kid play because.
Speaker 7: It's just like.
Speaker 2: Coming.
Speaker 1: But then and then just remember.
Speaker 10: That and also to this thing. This thing has been so good it gets passed on. I was in Atlanta. I'm hanging out with a hurricane takes me to some some barbecue. We're out there and this middle aged black lady she's running around with this little girl. Grandma's have been about five six years old. So we're standing over there on the side and the little girl gets a look at me. She goes, oh, run all the way over to me, and I'm like, yeah, what's going on? She said, you you got better than that?
Speaker 1: She said, she said you got old.
Speaker 10: I said, I said, I got a whipping. I said, who gave me a whipping?
Speaker 1: Your pops? I said, six year old? No, she said, my Auntie don't work. She she watched that movie all the time.
Speaker 10: But but this is the gift that getting passed on, do you know what I mean? Older brothers to younger siblings, parents to their children. And so this is what we're a part of and hopefully this is what we will be celebrating this weekend. You know, come, come on, come on, children's free.
Speaker 3: So what are you doing this weekend for people that don't know, but break down what's happening?
Speaker 1: Yeah, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 8: Brooklyn Unity Fest and Old Bulls Boys and Girls High School or the Old High School. Brooklyn Unity Fest sound happening this Saturday, celebrating the thirty five years of House Party along with Kidden Play, is going to be.
Speaker 1: Force, is going to be.
Speaker 8: Little Ceas Evans is stopping through and a lot of surprises, a lot of local people performing as well, giving man and they wanted me to shout to stop the things. They wanted to thank Housing Works, the Empress Empire and the Brooklyn Nets for helping to give it back this Saturday. And for more information go to Brooklyn unity Fest dot com for info and you can watch it live stream. And we want to give a shout at also to mel and Vienna part of the Brooklyn unity.
Speaker 11: How streaming, Uh the impacted you'all eys with House Party being on streaming now, Like what's the positive effects and negati effects that you guys see?
Speaker 5: Then you just talking about streaming the positive.
Speaker 1: Not a fan music about.
Speaker 2: Like you can sing.
Speaker 6: It's no, honestly, it's a beautiful thing. It's a beautiful thing that you know, Uh that it transcends everything.
Speaker 2: You know. My brain is still caught up on the whole thing with you guys.
Speaker 6: You want being at Lisa, the whole thing that was that was a concept of mine, the whole thing. To bring that into prusition, oh yeahsa.
Speaker 8: Period, yes, to bring a Spanish girl to be We already had the song written already take you Home.
Speaker 2: No, I had.
Speaker 6: I wrote that song, and then I knew that there was no Hispanic type of hero nothing at that time. It's just menudo and the Hispanic community for me was just like I used to see Hispanish people. It's just light skinned black people. They were so engulfed in our community, you know.
Speaker 2: So when I see.
Speaker 6: That watch y'all lost thirty short though, it's just that a shame that they did a story that didn't show how Lisa came to be at all, you know, why there was no Hispanic type of influence out there at all. For me, I grew up with a lot of Hispanic people that were you know, from playing on the handbog chords, we played ball together. When there was always a dance crew, there was always a Hispanic brother in there. When there was a Hispanic crew, there's always black brother in there. So my you know, being in New York, the Hispanic population with us was like this melting pot, and I don't feel like it really showed that. It didn't showed that type of culmination on how Lisa was picked and why she was picking and how important she is to these young Hispanic girls. Before Jennifer Lopez, before expos, before all this was Lisa. But that was intentional because there was nothing out at that time. I would tease my friends about Yo Manudo and they would get mad, that's.
Speaker 2: My little sister. The Hispanic people that I've grown up.
Speaker 6: With were just like us and style, flavor and everything.
Speaker 7: So so it's even it's beyond safe to say there would be no Lisa Lisa without not just you picking her.
Speaker 5: The songs y'all wrote.
Speaker 1: We already had.
Speaker 6: We already had the sound. Now we're just looking for the right artists to put in it. You know, Be had that rating, we had all cried out bare Kenny, So we already had the sound the right artist. But once again, that lends to the question of why.
Speaker 2: To leave us out of it. It doesn't make sense of the move of the documentary.
Speaker 6: At one point, it was a great It was a great vehicle to be inspire other young girls on how she came to be for real, you know.
Speaker 2: And that's why, you know what.
Speaker 10: I don't like And I know you guys have these these arguments in these discs cushion sometimes. Uh and it seems to be a hot topic these days, talking about black and latinos and their particular contributions to hip hop and stuff like that. Yeah, that and and I'm one of those people like I agree with with B one hundred percent like that.
Speaker 1: And that's what I think.
Speaker 10: That's what made the music resonate when it did, because these are coming out of real relationships. I mean, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I grew up with it.
Speaker 10: I grew up with a gang of Latinos just like black people. I'm half white, nobody had to be one particular thing. People were examining your psyche and your soul. That's that's what it was about. Can you dance? Can you rap? Can you sing? And and and and we were living side by side with each other. So yeah, that that had been a much more interesting story. And I know that's what the real story is, you know, I know, I know, I know black, black and brown people build hip hop. I know it because I was there, So I'm always I'm interested in that.
Speaker 1: I'm just like, what are we doing? Who's who? Who's poisoning? We've built all of this to this point.
Speaker 10: And and and I don't know what I don't I don't get that.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and I would appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Y'all had all of those records done already.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, all of them had head came late. That was on the second album. But we had Taken Home. I had taken Home and can you feel to be okay?
Speaker 6: We had that before we had the artists because in the sound.
Speaker 2: I knew what I but I wanted.
Speaker 6: I knew that, you know, I wanted a Hispanic young lady who echoed New York, you know, because addition to quite a few people, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like nah, nah no.
Speaker 6: And then Mike from Culture you know, he rang my bell one day and said, be man, I heard you're looking for a Hispanic young lady that could sing. You know, I think I got this girl. And he said, and you know, I'm thinking, maybe, you know, if you like her, maybe we could like be like a group.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: I got out, you know, out Yeah, no, Al and me and called Cult Jam. Now the deal is, I never was going to use the group called Cult Jam, but our call manager said, well, how about if it works, we use you know, Lisa and Cult Jam. And he came up with the name, how about we call Lisa Lisa? And I went nuts.
Speaker 2: Who he came up with that name? We got out the call we started south Side and said it sounds so Spanish like Lisa, Lisa Lisa.
Speaker 4: And it was right.
Speaker 6: It was perfect, And that's what you want a lot of people lost track of what artist development is because what would happened. It was intentional that when people went to the clubs. Because I remember that the record came on the Bentley's, I couldn't believe it. I mean, you know, people would say, yo play that Lisa Lisa record and that's what you want. They wouldn't even say, yo play take you Home records and then identify the brand and you know, be fine as legit.
Speaker 1: You know he really does.
Speaker 10: There's there's history because he's still they're using the word Hispanic.
Speaker 9: They came up with I wonder if I take You Home?
Speaker 4: Right, and the song was already done.
Speaker 8: He was so adamant that it must be a Latino girl to do it. So yeah, full Force. It wasn't for full Force. There wouldn't be no least Lisa, but be right from the jump. Knew that he wanted girl.
Speaker 10: And look, I think I don't think Full Force gets enough credit. And this look, like I said, this stuff comes organically, the list of Lisa vibe. It's organic. Look at another big hit they had, Thanks for My Child ryl Pepsi Riley. You remember how big that record was. Who makes no record with with a girl they're about to have a baby. This is before Brenda got a baby. All this and that they they they're writing records, even slow jams that were speaking to to the streets. They ran slow jams. So I'm always I'm always the biggest Full Force fan.
Speaker 1: Their versatility was was incredible.
Speaker 10: They're working with Backstreet, They're working with a man the Fox.
Speaker 4: White people liked.
Speaker 3: Or did somebody ever get y'all? Did y'all get everything? With all the songs that they written? He just named a couple of them. Did y'all get what you're supposed to get?
Speaker 2: Pretty much? It's still coming yad.
Speaker 9: Members and I think we got every.
Speaker 6: No, he said, yeah, no, no, no. When when doing rock sand Roxanne doing that? You know when you deal with independent labels, you know how that.
Speaker 5: Damn you tfo RO.
Speaker 9: That was our first production for RO.
Speaker 1: And we was on that same label. To select that means sometimes they select when they paid you the record, select you not to.
Speaker 2: That's what That's my favorite.
Speaker 6: But there's always more to that, you know, like basketball, we cover a basketball. I'm sure they're still so critician. We should get from that too. That was like the first first.
Speaker 9: Time, like you know, you talked about the movie.
Speaker 8: The movie left out a song the Lisa Lisa movie, which we had nothing to do with, but they left out the song. They didn't represent all cried out in there. Now we did a duet with Lisa on that Full Force, but they could have even did the first verse or something cried out, but all cried Out.
Speaker 9: Was mysterically, mysteriously not in the movie.
Speaker 6: And hol was the one that, yeah, that's a true story, that's a standard.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: So once we had Lisa, it was like, okay, cool, we started zeroing internet. So I even told I said, some of these songs you're going to be doing thirty forty years from now, all cry Out, you know when our first time when even Alloyd did it over but I heard mariahs saying it.
Speaker 2: It was Mariah's favorite song, you know.
Speaker 6: So you know, all the more reason why when we do our documentary, we will braatically include Lisa, everybody who impacted our lives, y'all. Everything, it's all connected.
Speaker 3: Fight because y'all got so many different temperament personality, who wins.
Speaker 6: Well, the deal is, it never got physical, you know, as we became adults, you know. But yeah, usually it's bump aheads with me.
Speaker 2: Yeah and you know something. But here's the deal.
Speaker 6: I'mber me and b last time we had a knockdown argument, back and forth everything, and I said, okay, I'm like this after that, Okay, cool. Yeah, I'm the type of okay, okay, y'all. After that, I'm like, okay, I'm going to I hot be. I got you who's buying? Because you know that's me. I don't hang on nothing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: That's how it's supposed to be, you know, because at the end of the day, we're on three mamas. We're coming together for a mom and everything that accounts.
Speaker 10: Let's go to the gym, guys, we're still one time.
Speaker 1: This is back in the days.
Speaker 10: So one time me and play almost had like a like a like a fistfight, like.
Speaker 1: Like in public, you know what I mean? Which which which is what never happened. So we're flying in from somewhere. I think we're flying in.
Speaker 10: From the West coast, and we come in into you know, Newark back in the days before they fixed it up.
Speaker 1: It was mad junkie or whatever. I don't know. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, but I don't know it was. It was something like really really stupid.
Speaker 10: I think we had just gotten off a tour, so we've been up on under each other for weeks on end. And but the funny part was, you know, we actually got up into each other's face and blah blahlah, the road manager has to you know, kind of break us apart. But the funny part was, you know where by the baggage clean and then you.
Speaker 1: Can see the fans.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, didn't playing.
Speaker 10: So yeah, yeah, those those times are rare because you know, those those are these are the people that that you go to war with, you know, once again, shout out to play.
Speaker 7: I wonder how the films impacted how people percee eved y'all musical legacy, Like do they know y'all more from the films and don't really know how.
Speaker 6: As producers with with the younger jener younger j Yeah, yeah, sometimes they're always surprised because when you start writing off certain songs and certain things that we've done, you know, they're very surprised. But that's the deal with I mean, House Party gave us a different kind of life, you know. I mean up to this day, all of the HBCU colleges, the bands and hearing them play like my type of hype you know, and it's.
Speaker 2: So I mean, it's just beyond humbling.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean, it's when we had y'all on wild'n Out, Yo, everybody was hype. I remember that, Like man when y'all came. That was like one of the the most fun episodes of the of the season. The crowd that Nick first of all, Nick loves Nick's love for y'all was like crazy. Then me remember me and Pretty V We did the dance t Sha and AJ did.
Speaker 7: We did, Man, it was.
Speaker 13: Just it was amazing doing that. We were so honored to have y'all on.
Speaker 9: And it was full force on the Red Team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we want.
Speaker 9: We can't freaking in.
Speaker 1: About that.
Speaker 5: Yeah we want.
Speaker 1: Damn it. You did.
Speaker 10: Whenever we do those like hip hop game shows, I'm like, I overthink it, you know, you know what I mean, so that you answer something to like hip.
Speaker 1: Hop squares or you know what I mean. Whenever I go on those things, I'm just thinking too much. We did.
Speaker 10: We did Celebrity Family Feud a couple of years ago with with Salt and Pepper, with Salt and Pepper can't play, and all I'm thinking is just don't fuck it.
Speaker 2: Off, you know what I mean.
Speaker 10: And then then then the Salt picks me to go to do the final whatever like that. Yeah, yeah, the rapid fire whatever, and all you're thinking is, oh God, I got it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I got I gotta get it.
Speaker 10: I gotta get to two hundred, you know what I mean, which which we did, and then after that I'm like, yeah, but but you know, everything gets magnified and I think you can overthink it.
Speaker 13: Did anybody ever tell you look like Michael John White? Yeah, Michael John White looks like you.
Speaker 2: Just swear, that's my man.
Speaker 8: You know how did Michael joh White and his wife dress up one Halloween?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, they one.
Speaker 6: They won many many Halloween parties. He was dressed up as me with a ripped shirt headband. His wife ad dressed up ast and he won many many things.
Speaker 2: And even.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look he.
Speaker 4: Looks like you.
Speaker 1: That is man.
Speaker 4: Appreciate your brothers.
Speaker 1: It's always funny you shout out shout somebody.
Speaker 2: Well, let me just say this before we go.
Speaker 6: All the acts that we've produced and worked with, from Lisa, even U, t Fo Shell, Pepsi, Riley, we.
Speaker 2: Still love all of them.
Speaker 6: You know that little Lisa movie thing has nothing to do with how much we love them still, you know, right, I.
Speaker 7: Mean a little little little Lisa movie. You know, the Black Persons.
Speaker 6: Dealer is not it's still loving. I mean I mean that because I'm the type of person I'm not going to say it.
Speaker 2: I don't mean it, And I.
Speaker 6: Would just like to mention all love to all our families and mothers, y'alls, including my mom. She's still hanging in there strong, but you know, we rally around her and then we have a We're finally getting around to doing our podcast also House of Soul.
Speaker 2: It's going to be fun.
Speaker 6: I'm finally getting around to do my book. It's going to be called Priceless Private Moments. In time, you'll get the periorities at kingminded dot org. I'm going to talk about certain things that you may see and not seeing a podcast, certain things in the pocket you may not seeing.
Speaker 1: The book.
Speaker 6: My Private Times is beating through cancers in the streets of bes Flatbush with doctor Sebby, with Queen a Fool, Michael Jordan's certain things that were never shared before.
Speaker 2: Yeah really, yeah, that's family of it.
Speaker 5: This weekend.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she married my my young my uncle, my mother's younger brother. So one Kingmidi dot org. That's the site for the preorders, y'all.
Speaker 8: Come on, and recently we're having the Criterion Collection is doing a house party. Uh, they're doing a lot of extras. We got together that's going to add to it. Then extra a reissue of House Party, a lot of different things in it.
Speaker 14: And we did a reunion, a Zoom reunion of Didn't Play, Wool Force, Cisha Campbell, A j and down Till Mitchell on there, which was really really fun.
Speaker 9: That was just a few days ago.
Speaker 8: And I just want to give a shout out real quick too, because for all these years, I just never thought Hitman Howie T never got the never got the true credit he has.
Speaker 9: He's a great producer.
Speaker 8: But one of our first big hit records is Full Force was a song called Ali I Want You Just for Me, which was written and produced by Full Force and Hitman Howie Tea.
Speaker 9: I always want that out there because Howie.
Speaker 6: T, Hitman, Hitman Howie Tea and Herbie Lovebug to Me are two of the most unsung hip hop producers period.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 10: Big shout out to Herbie, big shout out to play, big shout out to my man on the West Coast. My man Dante had Golden Artists Entertainment. Uh, it's it's always great to come back to New York. We don't get to come here often enough. One of my daughters still lives here, holding it down in Brooklyn. And you know what, I follow you guys. You know the breakfast club is important.
Speaker 1: I like you. I know when you'll go through your little kerfuffles.
Speaker 10: You know what's going to happen. It don't matter if it and going through something or whatever like that. But one of the things I've been noticing lately is you guys always seem to stay the course. And there's some days when things look kind of cloudy or kind of ad or things that y'all might not be able to recover for recover from. Excuse me, but I don't know what. I don't know what that is. Maybe that's the bond you guys have to gather, the chemistry, the chemistry absolutely, but but but you know what y'all, y'all never seem to get get upset or perturbed by whatever that initial wave is because everybody coming at you for whatever particular reason.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 10: That's slow. That's slow and steady, everybody. That's why, I don't think.
Speaker 2: And he gets enough credit with his sense of humor.
Speaker 6: You could take it, man taking it.
Speaker 4: I don't know what it is. And I'll be honest, I've been at first. I couldn't pause, right, I don't know.
Speaker 5: But a few golf bodies.
Speaker 3: But you gotta realize what you're securing yourself, because I remember the first one we started working with each other.
Speaker 4: It wasn't funny. It wasn't funny at me. At first.
Speaker 3: It was funny, but it was one of those things like it's funny here, but I don't want to aybody else to hear that for you, and you start feeling the way, and then when you work with him, he doesn't stop.
Speaker 4: He keeps pounding.
Speaker 13: Yeah, because he's he's a catcher too, you know, answer your question.
Speaker 4: I love these groups. I love these people. I think we want the best for each other.
Speaker 2: In the chemistry, I mean seamlessly, I give all credit.
Speaker 5: I feel like God is engineering all of this.
Speaker 6: And the last thing I just want to say that nobody knows, is that the last time we was here, saying this last time we was here.
Speaker 2: The energy was so good.
Speaker 6: It was just so because we didn't know what to expect, you know, the energy was so so positive, and we loved y'all for this man. And when we left here we felt so good. We went to see my father, who had Parkinson's at that time, and that was the last time all three of us saw him together. And every time but I see it, and when I see you guys, I think my father empty light was the first person to work no empty light. My father was the first person to work with empty light. When she was younger, Yeah, she always talked about that. So every time I see you guys, every time, and I watch you guys all the time, and every time I see like, I always.
Speaker 2: Think my father.
Speaker 3: Man, I always got you guys in a positive thank you.
Speaker 8: And I just want to say I was born in the same Thomas Virgin Allen's and Charlemagne also comes from one of the islands Rikers.
Speaker 1: Okay, he goes back all the time.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you, you know you.
Speaker 3: One time it was like I need help with look, I said, if I have to buy your tickets for you, like, I love you man.
Speaker 9: Thanks.
Speaker 4: It's the breakfast Club, Good morning.
Speaker 1: Every day. The Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: You're finished for y'all dumb