Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Hello, And I was on mute the whole time I was talking.
Speaker 3: That's all right, Angela House.
Speaker 2: Saying you all.
Speaker 1: We were going to be joined by state represented in the Cole call Yer, who is joining us live from the House floor of Texas. As you can see, she is being held hostage essentially by the Texas Department of Public Safety. She represents District ninety five. Nicole, Thank you so much for joining us. Please tell us what is happening. Why are you the sole member remaining on the House floor. How did we get here?
Speaker 4: So, Angela, thank you for having me on. You know, when I start woke up this morning, it was my intent to return to the Capitol with my colleagues in the House, the Democrats, because we were successful in getting California to agree to file maps that would counter or neutralize the five seats that Trump asked Abbott, our governor to pass. So we came back to Texas to continue to fight. What that fight looked like, I didn't know at the time, but when we got here there was a call in the house, meaning that you can't leave the floor unless you get a permission slip to leave, like you're in high school.
Speaker 3: And so what the speaker did was say.
Speaker 4: That he said that anybody who wants to leave the floor had to get a permission slip and be agreed to be followed by a DPS officer to ensure your return. Our return on Wednesday at ten am at the time. In this moment, I disagree in my heart it's wrong. This is so wrong. These maps are wrong. This is wrong, and this is how I am resisting. I know that it takes it only takes seventy six votes to pass a bill. Here we only have sixty two Democrats, so we know we're not going to win when it comes down to voting. But I just can't stand by. In my heart, this is wrong, and this is my way of trying to express my resistance. I didn't intend to do this. In fact, I'm not even prepared. I just know that I'm here right now in this moment, and I'm against it. And they know no bounds when it comes to what they want. They want these maps so bad. We were told that they're going to pass these maps today we just got back restored Quorm.
Speaker 3: It was restored.
Speaker 4: I wasn't part of that initial restoration because I refuse to help them get to any closer to what they want. But because they have the numbers now, they have the korum today at five o'clock, in less than fifteen minutes, going to pass these maps and they'll probably be up on the House for a vote for the full House to vote on by Wednesday.
Speaker 1: And what do you say to the folks who would say, you know, this is something that you walked into right you were you were safer maybe when you were out of Texas, and now because you went back to Texas, you know that the governor was talking about creating unlawful warrants to go and get you all. So when they say what would you expect when you go back to the House floor, what would you have expected?
Speaker 2: What do you say to.
Speaker 4: That, Well, it's not that I didn't expect them to keep the call on the House, of course, but that doesn't mean that I have to agree to it. I knew that they were going to, you know, pass the maps, but that doesn't mean that I just go along. I mean I want them to know my constituents elected me to be a fighter, and this is how I am fighting. I'm not I'm not I'm not surprised so much, but I'm disappointed. I wish more Democrats would have stayed with me, uh and resisted, because that's a way to show. But I'm getting a lot of support from my colleagues on this.
Speaker 1: When you're saying you wish they would have stayed with you, are you saying you wish that they wouldn't have agreed to the parole officer? In e fact, having a DPS member follow them. The permission slip that they had to get signed meant that a DPS officer followed them.
Speaker 2: Is that what you mean?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm just surprised nobody else thought to like refuse to sign. I mean, why not?
Speaker 1: Were there other members of the Texas Black Caucus who signed the permission slip?
Speaker 4: Well, it's my understanding that those who did come all sign. That's why they're not here.
Speaker 2: How many how many Black legislators.
Speaker 4: Returned, I'm not sure how many return I know Representatives I Davis did not return to the floor. Representive Gjilanda Jones did not return to the floor. Representative Ron Reynolds did not return to the floor. Representative Harold Dutton and Charlene Johnson Ward Lauren Simmons, those representatives, they did not come to the floor.
Speaker 2: What made you come to the floor today, Well, there were.
Speaker 4: Some rules that could have been passed if they didn't have enough Democrats on the floor to fight against it. So we had a certain number that we needed and I was coming to fight to oppose and resist any type of rule changes, but we needed a certain number of Democrats to be on the floor for that, and that's what I was coming back for, to prevent the passage or the easy passage of changing of the rules in the House.
Speaker 1: What were the rule changes that they were try attempting to pass today.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, you have to have a bill to lay out for about twenty four hours before you could take it up on the floor, and so there was a possibility that they could have suspended the constitutional rules to do that and brought the bill up tomorrow morning or you know, even later today. But we were able to hold that and you know, prevent that from happening because we had sufficient numbers. So that's what I came back for. That was the way that we fought there. But of course they have a lot of things that they can do because they have the votes, and we need more people to vote so that we can have better outcomes for us. But this is my way of saying, no.
Speaker 1: Where do you anticipate happening? So you didn't sign the permission slip to have a DPS officer accompany you, Where do you go from here? How long do you think you'll be on the house floor? And what happens if you defy that structure and you leave anyway?
Speaker 2: What happens?
Speaker 4: So we're set to come back Wednesday morning at ten am. That's the next time the House is going to convene. I anticipate that's when how long I'll be here unless there's some change. I know that there's some lawyers, lawyers working on a court order to have me released, so to speak. So it's at least till Wednesday. And what was your last question?
Speaker 3: After that?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, well, and what do you I'll change it? Actually, what do you anticipate happening between now and then? If you were to leave without signing that permission slip?
Speaker 2: What happens?
Speaker 4: Could be subject to arrest? Yes, absolutely, I could be subject to arrest. In fact, I did ask the DPS officer if I was free to leave, and I was told that I was not unless I signed the permission slip that would allow a DPS officer allowed me to be released into the custody of a DPS officer. I'm not a criminal. I didn't do anything wrong. I have a right to deny quorum. I have a right to resist. Every one of us have a right to resist peacefully. And when you see something that's wrong, you got to stand up to it. We cannot in this state, in this world, allow people to.
Speaker 3: Just roll over us. So I mean, we've got to.
Speaker 4: Display some form of resistance because if we don't, then we'll wake up and things will be so different and we won't have the ability to even use our voice.
Speaker 3: So we've got to take a stand while we can.
Speaker 1: Well, And let me ask you this, because I think this is something that I'm very curious about. I was one of the people saying I didn't think you all should go back.
Speaker 2: I anticipated that they would go.
Speaker 1: Above the law, beyond the law, all the ways that we've seen vigilantes operate throughout American history. Right, I knew that they were going to target you all the ways that are unprecedented. And are you experiencing or feeling any regret at coming back home to face this kind of madness I think, which is almost worse than which experience leaving.
Speaker 4: No, I don't regret coming back because we have to set the record, get a legal record for the fight if you don't. In order to deny quorum, you need to make sure that there's less than one hundred. They were two members away from getting one hundred, so it was bound to happen. So there's no reason for me not to show up when they have a quorum. And so I showed up once a quorum was established, and I came here to fight, and I came here to you know, you know, do as much as I can in terms of trying to amend the bill, deny the bill, whatever. But no, I don't regret coming back because they have a quorum and things are going to continue on with or without that member. So I'd rather be here letting them know where I stand and how I feel about this racist gerrymandered map that they have set.
Speaker 3: We're two blacks. There's going to be two black blacks.
Speaker 4: That will lose their seat so and then they're trying to pit the black and brown people. So in my area, I represent an area in Arrant County and Congressman VC has Arrant County and he has a little bit of Dallas County. His seat is on the chopping block, and so what they intend to do is pit him against Latino. And that's the way to drive a wedge into our communities. The momentum that we're building together as the black and brown people. They just try to find a way to drive a wedge into that and divide us. But we are keeping it together because we know that this is all uh uh. We know it's all smoke and mirrors because it's they're trying to get more power. Another thing is in terms of another seat in Houston, they are reducing one of the seats there and that's another seat that it's traditionally been held by African American and I just we gotta do something about that. I mean, even if they pass them, they're going I'm gonna go down swinging, point blank. Even if i have to go down, I'm swinging the whole way and I'm not going to give up.
Speaker 3: And that's what my constituents sent me here.
Speaker 1: For earlier, you referenced the California maps, the fact that Governor Newsom has taken some action, and that was one of the precursors for some of you at least to return. What do you say to the people who say, that's great for California, but what does that have to do with folks who need representation from black and brown folks in Texas. How do you respond to that?
Speaker 3: Well, that's true.
Speaker 4: I mean, what we're trying to do is in terms of the national stage, to neutralize the five added Republican seats that would disenfranchise black and brown people in Texas by neutralizing it by gaining five Democratic seats in California and hope that those Democrats that they get in California won't do Trump's bidding.
Speaker 3: That's what we're trying to do.
Speaker 4: We're trying to make sure that we can neutralize it because we see what Trump is doing in terms of reducing food access to food. Everything's going up, vegetables are going up, eggs are going up, and so if we don't put people in place who will stand up against him, then we'll see this whole world burned down. I mean literally, that's how Grand America. The impact that America has in this world, in this universe is that we have far reaching implications and so when we do bad or when we fail, others will also fail. So in terms of what Texas is doing, yes, in Texas, we don't have the numbers to stop it.
Speaker 3: It is very unfortunate.
Speaker 4: If we can get people to vote and get even Republicans to see that, you don't want to be a part of.
Speaker 3: A regime that.
Speaker 4: Ignores or or purposely tries to erase voters, that rig things, because one day it's going to be you. Today it's Democrats, today is blacks, today's browns, but.
Speaker 3: One day it will be you.
Speaker 4: If you're not on their ship, on board with what they're doing, they will eliminate you too. Trump has shown us time and time again, just like he did with the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the person who said that our job numbers, we had high unemployment.
Speaker 3: He fired that person.
Speaker 4: So do we want a nation that's going to mislead the public, that's going to remove and eliminate necessary services. No, So we try to find ways to combat that. And what we see is trying to get other states and maybe these governors in Republican states will say no, I believe in democracy. I believe in the votes or the chips falling where they may, and so I'm not going to interfere. I'm not going to interfere with the public's right to vote and choose the candidate of their choice. And that's what I'm hoping and all of us are hoping will happen.
Speaker 1: So the other thing that you brought up, and I know you have been following, you have to with all the conversation around this racist redistricting scheme in Texas. Just last week, the Fifth Circuit ruled in favor of a Louisiana plaintiff who said, listen, our voices have been diluted to the point where it's unconstitutional. They relied on what is left of the Voting Rights Act in the sixtieth Anniversary, which is Section two. You reference that democratic seats could be picked up in California. But what do you say to the folks to say, listen, that's great, but they're not necessarily black and brown seats, which is what is going to go missing in Texas. These are the seats that we have to protect. These are the seats that we know can withstand that challenge so far, at least in the court.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's going to happen when we get.
Speaker 1: This to the court, but so far, what we know they have not, you know, ruled in the other sides favor on, is racist redistricting. It has been on political redistricting. So what Gavin Newsom's response is is political redistricting and gerrymandering. What do you say to the folks that may say, listen, this doesn't really make up for what we know we need to have in California or in Ohio where they're talking about this, or Florida where they're talking about this.
Speaker 4: Sure, so political redistricting, partisan redistricting has been found to be constitutional. Racial gerrymandering or racial drawing of the lines is unconstitutional. What's happening in Texas is unconstitutional, is what my allegations are.
Speaker 3: And that's what the Democrats stand by.
Speaker 4: Because they disenfranchised or they harm black and brown people, because they chop up our communities, they pack communities of color so that they don't have a voice in the other communities where they really belong. In terms of the California picking up five Democratic seats, look Democrats believe in people having opportunities, people having access to food, being paid fair wages.
Speaker 3: They believe Democrats believe.
Speaker 4: In access to health care, abortion, health care as well, and second chances for those who have been justice involved.
Speaker 3: That's what the party is about.
Speaker 4: So if I got to go to California to take a white person that believes in the democratic values that I believe in, then I'm okay with that. That's because we can neutralize that in Washington.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what, what's the thing that you want people to know at home? For folks who are like, what is redistricting anyway? What is Jerry manderin? Why should I care? To your point, I can't afford my groceries. I don't know where the next cause of harm is coming. My kid lives in DC, and I'm worried about if they're going to survive this unconstitutional takeover DC. How do you get folks to pay attention to this really critical issue in this time?
Speaker 4: Well, typically in elections, the voters choose the outcome. But what Trump is asking is for the candidate or the elected official to choose the outcome, so the voters won't have a choice because he's already made it for you, so your vote with the way when they pack you into these districts, they already know. They're like, okay, you can have that one representative, but I want three more for us. And so this is them choosing the outcome of the race instead of you the people, your one vote, one voice. So that's where we have a problem when they are choosing the outcome, not us as people of voters. That's what the problem is. And I again, Angela, I did not intend to do this today, and my emotions are raw.
Speaker 3: I'm very literally, I feel like this is wrong.
Speaker 4: I may not even be expressing it as clearly as I could be when my mind would be open and clear, but my heart is hardened. I mean, I just feel like, what's going on, it's wrong, and this was the best.
Speaker 3: Way for me to do it by refusing to.
Speaker 4: Do what they say in terms of signing a paper and being released into custody of DPS. I'm not a criminal again, So I hope that I'm expressing the urgency that we as voters need to look at this what's going on in Texas. We see that they will do whatever it takes to get what they want. They will change the rules, they will rid things, They will cheat just to get what they want at our expense. I'm a person, we are all people. We have rights and freedoms and liberties. So you can't shut me up and you can't take my vote. Yeah, and that's where i'm today.
Speaker 1: I want to tell you just because you were saying that one you didn't expect to do this today, and two your emotions are raw, which is understandable. One you all have not really rested because you've been trying your best to put together and kind of cobble together the fight as best you could when you really saw what was on the horizon. There are folks in the comments saying thank you for fighting for us, and they're saying thanks for the fight, and.
Speaker 2: Other folks are saying you won't win in the courts. We don't know.
Speaker 1: Only time will tell, but there's a lot of thank yous, including run from Texas AFLCIO. And So I think in this moment where you're standing on the house floor essentially being held hostage, her phone is going off because the people are worried about her.
Speaker 2: But while you're being held.
Speaker 1: Hostage essentially on the floor because you won't sign something allowing you to have a probation or parole officer basically following you from the Texas Department of Public Service. You might be there on the floor alone, but outside and in this virtual community, you are by far not alone, and so people want you to continue the fight.
Speaker 2: However that looks.
Speaker 1: You know, a lot of times people disagree on the means, but if the end goal is the same, hopefully we can find solidarity on preserving what is in our best interest for the end goal. I wanted y'all to stay out because I did not want y'all to be kidnapped on the house.
Speaker 3: But it takes more than one to stay out with it.
Speaker 1: I know you're right, it does, and so then you have to make calculations. Math has to math to your point. And so now here we are, and I think that it is important that you you know you continue the fight, that you know that you are being lifted up, I think, prayed for and covered and encouraged by these people in the comments. And most importantly, even when they told you you cannot be on air from the house floor, that you said, no, you're going to hear my voice. You're going to hear my story. And if you're gonna be down there until Wednesday. Make sure y'all send stay representative Nicole Callier all the love on her Instagram and wherever else they can reach you. Do you want to tell people where they can reach you right now?
Speaker 3: Well, my just Instagram. I don't. I'm on the house floor. There's certain rules that we got to do.
Speaker 1: Yes, and we are breaking some of them now.
Speaker 3: So Instagram, wait, you see me?
Speaker 4: Keep looking around because I'm like, uh, who comes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I'm wondering, Like, so you literally don't want her physically restrained. They've already kept her on the floor and maybe until Wednesday. If you all can send comments to Nicole's Instagram, that would be great.
Speaker 2: Where can they reach you on Instagram?
Speaker 3: Represent time at Nicole? Call your ninety five.
Speaker 1: At Nicole, call your ninety five Okay, make sure y'all send her love and all the encouragement.
Speaker 2: We don't know where this battle goes from here, but what we.
Speaker 1: Do know is that the fight is deep ahead and they have been preparing for more than forty plus years. State represented the cocaliear. We will see you next time. Definitely keep us in the loop on what's going on.
Speaker 3: We'll do Thank you, Angela.
Speaker 1: Okay, take care, Okay, everyone, we are going to wrap up this live. I think that it's important for you all to understand in this moment, there are a lot of folks who don't understand why state reps would have gone back in this environment. I'm with you, but here's what we know. Folks fight on their own terms. There are rules that she said were being passed today that she didn't want to see get passed. And so given the fact that they already had quorum, they made korm without a single Black Caucus member joining, they refuse to give them that quorum.
Speaker 2: Some of the members went back.
Speaker 1: Nonetheless, whether you agree with their decision or not, as important is that they are equipped and armed for the fight ahead. If you have ideas, suggestions, feedback, encouragement, prayers, ideas, I'm sure the Texas State Legislative Black Caucus would love to hear from you. Please make sure you do that. For now, I am signing off, y'all. This is gonna be my live.
Speaker 2: Even for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Mama Ris got chemo tomorrow, and so I'm gonna be with her tomorrow. This will be my life for the week, and then we will see you all back here a same bad time, same back station on Thursday for Native lampod and of course for our mini pod on Friday. So thank you so much for all you do to support us. If you have not, make sure you subscribe at Native lamppod. You listen wherever you get your podcasts or favorite shows, like comments, send us your videos, giving us your comments, your thoughts. If you agreed with State Rep. Callier or not, if you agree with State Rep. Jones or not, whatever, wherever you land, we want to hear from you, and we definitely want to hear if you have ideas for these really courageous leaders in this time about what they can do going forward.
Speaker 2: So thank y'all so much, See you next time. Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,