Speaker 1: Welcome to the Good Stuff. I'm Jacob Shick and I'm joined by my co host and wife, Ashley Schiff.
Speaker 2: Jacob is a third generation combat Marine and I'm a gold Star granddaughter, and we work together to serve military veterans, first responders, frontline healthcare workers, and their families with mental and emotional wellness through traditional and non traditional therapy.
Speaker 3: At One Tribe Foundation, we.
Speaker 1: Believe everyone has a story to tell, not only about the peaks, but also the valleys they've been through to get them to where they are today.
Speaker 2: And each week we invite a guest to tell us their story, to share with us the lessons they've learned that shape who they are and what they're doing to pay it forward and give back.
Speaker 1: Our mission with this show is to dig deep into our guest's journey so that we can celebrate the hope and inspiration their story has to offer.
Speaker 3: We're thrilled you're joining us again.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Good Stuff.
Speaker 2: You might have heard of our guests today, John Wayne Troxall. He was the senior enlisted advisor to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the senior non commissioned officer in the US Armed Forces.
Speaker 1: You retired in twenty nineteen after thirty eight years of service for our Greek country, and we have the honor of hearing him tell part of his story, the successes and hardships that accompanied a life of service.
Speaker 2: Even though this was our first time meeting him via zoom, we really enjoyed getting to know John.
Speaker 3: First.
Speaker 2: We just want to welcome you to the show. John Wayne Troxall, thank you so much for joining us here on the good Stuff. We haven't had the pleasure of meeting you in person yet.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, Jack and Ashley, it's an honor to meet you all, but more of an honor that I'm allowed to come on here and share my story with you all.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and we're so excited to dig In born in Iowa and then served our great country for over thirty seven years.
Speaker 1: He's a couple of minutes. Yeah, Yeah, how do I address you? I mean, mister secretary?
Speaker 4: What do you do?
Speaker 1: Because look, I got out of the Marine Corps with well more than one page eleven. I'm just gonna guess means you and I could get along just fine.
Speaker 4: I prefer you to call me John. I try not to be lost in my museum. I was the SAAC, I was a sergeant major and everything. I'm a retired guy now and so I just try to be who I am and what I'll always be, and that's John Wayne Troxel. So John would be fine.
Speaker 3: I dig it awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, the joy of this show is getting to share amazing stories with our audience. But today Jake and I are truly part of the audience ourselves, because you know, we aren't yet familiar with you or your story. So if you would do us the honor, just start from the beginning.
Speaker 4: I grew up in a loving household, and as I got older, although it was a loving household, I was a mediocre athlete. I was a wrestler. I was a pretty good student until I started discovering girls and beer. And then I think, Jake, you know how that goes all of a sudden, can go south in a hurry.
Speaker 1: No, but I know how that never happened.
Speaker 4: I was looking for purpose and direction, and as I was going through high school, I wrestled until I was a junior, and then my senior year, I said, look, this is I'm not going to be an athlete. I know that, so let me focus on other things. And I started seeing guys in my neighborhood that were coming back from the military, recruit training and everything. And when they left, they were just like me, a guy that didn't have purpose and direction and was going through life doing the things that teenagers do, skirting the edge of the law. And when they came back, though they were sinewy muscular, their chest was out, their shoulders were back, their voice was booming. They were confident, and they didn't just walk anymore. They kind of saunters that air of confidence that they had, And I thought to myself, I don't know what they're feeding them in the military, but I want some of that.
Speaker 2: John, Were you the first one in your family to serve?
Speaker 4: We didn't have a lot of military presence, but my grandfather was in World War Two. I had two uncles, one uncle that was in the Navy and a Vietnam veteran, and I had another uncle that was a career sailor and retired as a Chief Petty officer. But they didn't have a lot of influence on what I was doing. My older brother Tom joined the Army reserves, and he was kind of one of those guys I saw that came back and were transformed. But seeing guys like him and other guys that had joined the Marine Corps, seeing them come back, that was kind of what influenced me to say, I want to do this.
Speaker 2: And how did your family react when you came in and told them that you were going to join the military.
Speaker 4: Oh, they were supportive. They knew my mom, my sister, my older brothers. They knew that living in the west end of Davenport, Iowa, which there's not a lot of opportunities there other than to get in trouble, that I was doing something that was going to better myself, but more importantly, make me a part of something bigger than myself, and then I could reach any untapped potential that I had for success in my life. I got into the Army, and as Forrest Gump would say, I was kind of like one of those round pegs. I just fit right into the Army. And as I got through my recruit training, my basic training at Advanced Individual training, and I went to my first duty station, I thought, this is what I'm going to do for my four year tour, and I'm going to get out. And less than a month after I got there, I met a girl named Sandra Jimenez. On the first of February nineteen eighty three. I'm going to he won in a club with a fake ID, and all of a sudden, I asked this girl to dance and she turned me down. The other Joe that I was with a friend of mine, who was a brand new private, I asked her like three times and she turned me down. So he went and asked her, and so she danced with him, and I was like, no, she you know. So now I mean, I'm pounding beers and whiskeys and everything, and I'm watching her dance with my buddy. And it was on an elevated dance floor, and all of a sudden, he backed up doing his move and he fell off the dance floor. So me, being the true battle buddy that I am, I raced over there, jumped on the stage, took his place, and after that, you know, the rest was history. We started dating my wife and I. We got married six months after I met her. She was pregnant soon after with our first child, and I realized in a hurry that this is what I need to do to take care of my family. It's not individual responsibility. I have a wife, and I have a son on the way, and so I said, I'm going to put my effort into being the best soldier I can be. And little did I know that from then on my career would span almost thirty eight years. And I never thought that I would reach the pinnacle of the enlisted ranks in the Department of Defense. But I just kept pushing forward, and my focus was the better soldier I am, the better leader I am, the better off the men and women in my span of control are going to be, but more importantly, the better I'm going to be able to take care of my family. So that was kind of how I got started and how I pursued my career was always striving to be better the next day than I was that day. And so if I wanted to be an airborne ranger, I went out and did it. I wanted to be a jump master, I went out and did it. I wanted to be a pathfinder, all these things. Wanted to get a college degree. I went and did it. All the things that I thought would make me a better person, better husband, a better father, but more importantly, a better soldier and a better leader. That's what I was focused on.
Speaker 1: And That's something that so many young people need to hear too, because it's not self focused, that's not self inter self gain, that's greater good all around. I want to do X, y Z to make everything and everyone better, not just myself but everyone around me. That way, we're bigger, stronger, faster, more effective. Absolutely, it's a beautiful thing. No wonder you achieved what you've achieved, but you also did it with conviction. You set a goal and nothing was going to stop you.
Speaker 2: So you've got this long list of accolades, titles that you've held, even conflicts that you've been involved in. Can you think back to early in your career, was there a tipping point that really kind of changed you or shifted your experience in the military.
Speaker 4: I had been in the Army almost five years, you know, I had just re enlisted and I got assigned to the eighty second Airborne Division and Fort Bragg, North Carolina. And when I got there, I had been in heavy mechanized units and we were a peacetime military. So we talked all the time about facing the Soviet military and the East Germans, but it was never a reality. It was like a star that you could see, but you knew you were never going to touch And I got to Fort Bragg, North Carolina, and my wife and I were driving on the base just to check things out because we'd never been there before, and we saw this five ton truck with a bunch of grimy paratroopers with camouflage on their face sitting in the back of it. Obviously they had just come from a drop zone conducting a parachute jump. And Sandra even looked at these guys and said, Wow, these guys are serious. And she looks at me, Are you sure that you want to do this? And I said, absolutely, you know. But then I got into the unit and I realized all we talked about was being prepared to go to war. That's all we talked about, even though we were a peacetime military. But we're a rapid deployment force. When we go on Division Ready Force one, you got to be ready within an hour to come in alert marshall, deploy and go to combat in less than eighteen hours from notification. And so even then, being a part of a peacetime military, it refocused me and it caused me to start being the best that I could be because of the level of physical fitness that we required there, and then the level of additional skills that required, like being a jump master. And I still even in nineteen eighty eight, the Sandinista guerrillas from El Salvador invaded Honduras and we got alerted. I was in jump master school at the time, but I didn't go. But we did a jump into Honduras to show support for the Honduran forces. That was still not a combat deployment. It was Operation Golden Pheasant. But that kind of set a light off on me that hey, this could happen anytime. But even still I wasn't completely convinced that we would actually go to combat. Nineteen eighty nine, I'm on Division Ready one Force, but it's the start of half day holiday schedule. So I kissed my wife and my two sons goodbye, and I said, hey, han, i'll be back at noon and we'll go Christmas shopping for the boys. And so I kissed her goodbye, and I got in to the base. And as soon as I got on the base, it was open posts then, but there was an MP all of a sudden at the ends under the base now and they were checking ID cards. They said, hey, what's going on. They said, oh, we're in hand security or whatever. So I got to my headquarters and they said, hey, glad you're here. We were just exercising the alert roster. We've been alerted. And even then me and my teammates thought, are they going to make us do an emergency deployment readiness exercise during half day schedule? What kind of bullshit is that We still weren't convinced that we were being alerted to go to combat. Because if you in Panama at that time, Manuel Noriega, the dictator that was running Panama, had lost the election, but he did not concede. As a matter of fact, his thugs ended up beating up the guy that actually won, and there was a Navy lieutenant who was killed because of the unrest down there. There was a Marine Corps family and service member that were assaulted and everything. And now all of a sudden, Americans had Fort Chairman and elsewhere were at risk, and so we got alerted. We were sent to the personnel holding area. We were trying to figure out what was going on, and there was a freezing rainstorm going on too, and we didn't have any heaters in the tents. We were in. So now not only are we clueless on what's going on, but we're pissed off because we're freezing our asses off and we still think this is some kind of exercise that we're going through and we're not getting our half day schedule. So my platoons are Dave Freeman and I finally said, screw this, let's go find out what's going on. We walked into the brigade headquarters and as we walked in, we saw officers around this table laminating maps of Panama. And we looked each other and said, I guess we know what we're doing now, And all of a sudden we not real there's our answer. And then when we got back to our tent, we were issuing ammunition, live grenades, claim wars, all of that stuff, and all of a sudden we knew this was real. We were packing all of our ammunition in our combat gear, and the chaplain walks into the tent. Hey, look, no pressure, but if anybody wants to say a prayer, come on over here.
Speaker 1: The entire tent went up with the Yeah it's funny how that works, right, Yeah, it's funny. How if you have the guys that are like nah, I'm not going to go to chapel. I'm too hungover or I'm still drunk. And then you get the call and it's like, hey, oh yeah, we're going. Hey yeah, I'll make it. I'm gonna go. You guys send me see it. I'll be there.
Speaker 4: Well, like they say, the phrase is there's no atheist in foxholes. So that kind of changed. And so think of this. There were no cell phones back then. They cut the phone lines, so I didn't have the ability to call my wife and let her know what was going on. Oh man, And I just said, well, sooner or later, she's going to figure out that I'm not coming home and then I'm going to combat. Next thing, you know, we loaded up on those on that frozen tarmac at Pope air Force Base and we took off and we're on our way to combat, you know. And at one am we started parachuting in to Rio's airport. The Rangers were jumping on the military airfield, Document Airfield. We were jumping on the military airport. And little did I know that my wife found out I wasn't coming home by watching the news that night and seeing that American forces were conducting a combat parachute assault into Panama to toppol Noriega and to reinstate or in state the rightful government and to protect American lives and innocent Panamanians. And that's how my combat started. And for the next week we secured all of our assault objectives, we expanded our lodgment area out, and we started taking down targets. But an hour into the first patrol I went in, we lost our first American specialist in Alexandro Manrique Lozano from second Italian five or fourth Parisheet Infantry Regiment. I'm thinking to myself at that time, twenty four hours before this, this young man was thinking about going home with his family or spending time with his family over the holidays. Twenty four hours later he gave his life in defense of our country. And that told me that we've got to dig in, We've got to get through this, and we can't allow you know that we've lost an American to kind of drag us down, and so we've re We continued to focus and get after the enemy and everything, and by the Christmas Eve, we had lost four paratroopers, two on an assault on what I call Tinaheatus Hill, which was this huge hill that we were taking down the lt Grays, which were an elite force of Panamanians. But at about Christmas Eve, the fighting started dying down and I found myself pulling security around the Papal Nuncia, the religious chapel that was in the heart of the town where Noriega had holed up in trying to get religious protection from being captured by us. And so as I pulled perimeter security out there with my team on our shared and armored reconnaissance vehicle, there was a Marriott hotel across the street, and so I told my guys, I said, hey, I'm going to go check it out and see if there's any payphones in there, and we'll see if we can contact our families. So I grabbed one of my guys and we went over there, and sure as shit, there were some phones in there. So I picked up the phone and called collect to Sandra, and that was the first conversation I had with her since I had left, and it was a very emotional conversation. I mean, the hair is rising up on my arms now. It was the first time one I've had my baptism by fire ending up in two point ambushes and stuff like that. I've seen Americans killed, We've killed enemy fighters. But now I'm having a conversation with my wife and our children. And within that three minute call there was a bit of solace in peace. But then after that call, I had to go right back out into the combat zone. But that there, Ashley, was the turning point that told me that living this military life and this warrior ethos life, regardless of what service you're into, what you do, that on any given day, your life could change in a heartbeat, and all of a sudden you could find yourself against an armed enemy and combat as brutal and unforgiving as it is. Unfortunately, good men and women perish in battle, and we have to be best prepared to deal with that brutality and unforgiveness in combat. And I told myself as a leader, I'm going to make sure the men and women in my charge are going to be always ready, regardless of how long I stay in the military. That was the point that changed me to now being always wired for combat, even though we were still a peacetime military. But then seven months later, Saddam Hussein invades Iraq and I find myself back in a combat zone. But this time, I think mentally and emotionally, myself and all of the paratroopers I were with in my company, we were prepared for it because we had already experienced combat. That's what changed me into being somebody that was always going to be folkscus on being best prepared for the conditions we could face on the worst day of our life in combat.
Speaker 1: That's one of the blessings in the military. I mean, there's no better way than just to get in and do it. That's the best way to understand and prepare for the next thing, whatever that is. And that's regardless of Army, Marines, Air Force, Navy, coast Guard. That's the best way to know. When you talked about that with your wife, that's crazy to think about because we didn't have the modern conveniences that we have today to be hey, haun, I'm not gonna make it, I'm gonna be gone. Don't know what I'm gonna get back. You didn't have any of that. To not be able to have that effective communication with your loved ones before you go employ what you've trained day in and day out to do. That brings in a whole different element that I've never really thought about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we had what we called family support groups back then, but they were I mean they were about doing bake sales and stuff like that and trying to build morale, never with the thought that we might actually go to combat. And so when I got back and I was talking to my wife, but also other military spouses, they talked about the first meeting the spouses had with the command, the rear detachment command, and they talked about, hey, your husbands were in combat. They parachuted into combat on the evening of the twentieth of December, and they will stay there and continue to fight until you know, Noriega capitulates and Panamanian forces surrender. And in one of the spouses even asked, so there's potential that they could get killed. I mean it was an innocent enough question, but as a peacetime military with peacetime families, you still hadn't put it together that, as you just described, Jake, the level of brutality, the violence of action equates to people get killed. And so this in it is enough question, and the commander, the redetachment commander, said yes, some may not come back, and I was so happy to hear from other spouses on how my wife was deemed as one of the strong ones. Now, Sandra grew up as a first generation Mexican American. Her dad was from Chihuahua, Mexico, her mom was from southern Texas. They had nineteen kids, wow, nineteen kids in twenty three years. She grew up poor, but she had to be resilient through her childhood and everything and as she grew up. So I think this kind of upbringing prepared her. And she used to say this all the time, and through my multiple combat tours, I've got three sons I have to worry about, and I can't sit around and talk gloom and doom or you know, feel sorry for myself. I've got to be here for my kids. And so that's nobody prepared her for that other than her upbringing. But that was the focus she had, and in it she knew I was in combat. She said, I can't control what's going to happen with my husband, but I can control what's going on with my kids. I can keep them focused, I can keep them energized with school. And then when they had these meetings and we started talking about or the family started talking with the rear detachment about the realities of combat. I would say she was stoic to it because of her upbringing, and it was I was so proud that when I got back when people would come and compliment me on my wife and how strong she was, and I said, that's my Sandra. That's as I call her, my little windmill. She has just always been that way through our entire thirty nine year marriage.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, congratulations on that, And what has that done to lend to your success?
Speaker 4: As a matter of fact, I'm writing a book now and it's called Surrenderer Die, Reflections of a Combat Leader, and one of the chapters in there is going to be what I call all give our Love to Sandra. So I think when you are someone that's been in the military for decades and throughout your entire career, you've had a spouse with you, like I've had Sandra with me through this whole ride, all of a sudden, your spouse becomes synonymous with you. And so anytime somebody would reach out to say hello to me, somebody I served with in the eighties the nineties, two thousands senior officials in the Defense Department or the administration or in Congress. Every time they would say Hey, how's it going, or how's it going, John, they would always say, give our love to Sandra. And so I'm going to talk about the importance of a military spouse to the success of someone that lives in this warrior class. And if Jake, you kind of talked about this a little earlier, that if you don't have that outlet when you leave you know, whether you're training or whether you're in cock, if you don't have that outlet when you come back, known as family and especially a significant other, your wife or your husband or whatever, I mean, it's tough to deal with that. And I would have never without Sandra's support, without her direction, without her advice, I would have never reached the levels of service that I reached. I had to have that person, and she's always been that person. Now, don't get me wrong. Our marriage hasn't always been beer and skittles, Okay, I mean she's had to written really yeah, I mean she's had to rip my ass sometimes, but it was because I needed it. And then I would even tell you this. She was the one that gave me an ultimatum about a year before I was retiring that said, I need you need to go talk to somebody about all this anger you have, or I'm going to have to reconsider the direction we're going. As a married couple, think of this. We had been married well over thirty five years. She was telling me there was something wrong with me. She was telling me there was something wrong with me. When I came back from just causing desert storm, I just wasn't listening. And I thought to myself. In in the eighties and nineties, PTSD and traumatic brain injury weren't even things that were talked about. But when she told me that, I went to see a therapist just to appease her. But when I got in, when I got in there though, it felt like my therapist at the time her name was Gina, that she was ripping my skull open and reading my brain. She knew exactly what was going on with me and everything, and so she diagnosed me with PTSD. And think of this now, the stigmas associated with mental health and Jake, you'll appreciate that my two bosses at the time I was diagnosed to PTSD, the chairman was fighting Joe Dunford Marine and the second trom.
Speaker 1: I've had the privilege of shaking his hand a couple of times.
Speaker 4: Hey, and the Secretary of Defense the other you know as the SAAC, you advised both the chairman and the Sectiff. The sect deaf was a guy named Jim madd Matis arguably the two hardest combat leaders in the history of our force. And I had to lead delar Renzo Clinic in the Pentagon, and I had to walk up there and tell those two gentlemen that I was in therapy for PTSD. There was a dude I have and Ashley, I have walked a lot of miles in my life up the mountains of the Hindu Christian Afghanistan. The longest walk I ever had was leaving that clinic and going to this Chairman's office and the Secretary of Defense's office and telling them I was in therapy for PTSD. And you know what Mattis said to me. He said, Okay, good, what are you going back to Yemen to tell me what's going on with al Kaeda in the Arabian Peninsula? And then Dunford was kind of like, okay, good, pack your shit. We're going to go to Afghanistan and Iraq to visit the troops. It was a non issue to them. I had given myself this stigma, but to them it was a non issue. They were like, Okay, good, that's good for you. It's going to make you a better leader.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's and the listeners probably didn't hear it, but started laughing so hard. I started crying, like it was. Think about this. Branches are relevant, right, those are the two names, I would say, arguably, since we were attacked in two thousand and one, those are the two names you would not want, Like you would rather cut off a finger than have to go have those conversations with those two. And you had both of them. Yes, yeah, I mean if that's not that you don't have to eat a piece of humble pie. You have to inhale the factory.
Speaker 4: Spot on brother, and that lesson for me. And I'm going to talk about this in my book when it comes to the Invisible Wounds of War. Told me that we have to eliminate this stigma about seeking hell. And I don't care how long you served or what you've done, your military service will always be a part of Okay, And there's some things in there that are going to be constants, and especially if you served in combat, you just don't flush that stuff under the table. I had a conversation with a staffer in Washington, DC on one of the trips. I was there right after Afghanistan, the abrupt withdrawal from Afghanistan, and I was talking to this person about how I was very critical of the strategy that we used, okay, and the undue stress and risk we put on the men and women that had to deal with getting all the US citizens and SIV people and clearing out of Cowbo Airport. And I said, anybody that knows anything about Afghanistan, you can't say in two weeks we are going to move the troops out first, and then we're going to try and get all the non combatants out and everything, and then try to get the equipment out. We kind of did that ass backwards when we should have took the equipment out.
Speaker 1: Or excuse me, you assistant, They wouldn't Yeah, we should have.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So this person who has no military experience, and as the staffer says, well, the commander in chief made a decision. You the veteran population and the serviceman need to get over. I said, no disrespect, but you have no problem saying that, Okay, you are desensitized to it because you have no skin in the game. Right, you have never faced a business end of an enemy rifle or seen a buddy on your left or right get vaporized by an improvised explosive device, and they went from some precious, beautiful human into a pile of flesh, hair and camouflage material. I said, you have no skin in the game, So it's easy for you to say that, I said, but we who have served are never going to forget when we lose men and women, and we're certainly not going to just throw away twenty years of fighting in Afghanistan and say, okay, what's next. All right, It doesn't work that way. And if we continue to say veterans got to get over this when they're dealing with the mental and emotional struggles of post combat, you know, in post traumatic stress, then we are adding to the problems. We are not trying to solve it.
Speaker 1: You know what. Just like you said, brother, this stigma is killing us at the cyclic rate, yeah, and nightly. And not just our warrior class either, not just our brothers and sisters who've done the cloth of the nation. This is a human problem around the world, and it's become evident. It's very evident since the global pandemic, since the world shutdown, and how everything in the middle and emotional wellness realm has skyrocketed. Client intakes have gone through the roof. I mean, you're getting burnout rates at the cyclic rate with therapists and psychologists because it's like the gates of open. It's a supply and demand issue now. And so the fact that you started it because of an ultimatum by Sandra, which I can't wait to meet her, because I'm just going to give her a big, huge giant hug because I get it. And I also understand how iron sharpens iron absolutely, and I also understand how when we come home, it's not just us they're affected. Rather, you know, you're like me and you spend eighteen months in the hospital and you're trying to figure out what your new normal is, which is not normal at all. We affect our entire family. You have to have a Sandra. If you don't, it doesn't work. And I know that you had soldiers that it fell by the wayside because they didn't have a Sandra. They may have had a spouse but they didn't have someone as strong and it's cemented and as rooted in their own conviction as you did.
Speaker 4: That's the huge point there is that some military spouses don't fully understand the power of their role. I'm not trying to pass judgment on any military spouse or criticize them, but every time I deployed somewhere, Sandra stayed in our house. When I went to combat in Iraq or Afghanistan. You know, she didn't go home to family. She said, I'm not going to go stay in somebody else's house. This is my house and I have to give normalcy to my children. That's just the way she was when I was a Striker Brigade Sir Major during the surge in Iraq in seven and eight, when we put five army brigades and two more Marine brigades in Iraq. You probably remember that the first eight days of combat, my commander and I had visited the morgue seven times to identify the remains of some of our guys that had been killed in action. At the same time as we are knee deep in this combat back home, every time we have somebody killed and after you official notification is out I would call her and she would go to the memorial service. We lost fifty four over that fifteen month tour and had over five hundred severely wounded. She went to every memorial service, every funeral. She went to visit the wounded along with me in San Antonio and in Walter Reid. But here the eighth day, I've been in combat eight days now and the worst nightmare of any military family's life. The two sedans that come driving down your neighborhood full of guys in their service Alpha uniform and one guy holding the Bible.
Speaker 1: At chaplain's for the listeners. That's the dress uniform.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those two sedans are the Casualtine Notification team. And they happened to pull up in front of our house, and Sandra was on the front porch reading a book, and as they got out, all of a sudden, she was starting to get paranoid. Here she went in and told the kids, they go to your rooms, all right, And she came back out and they were going next door. And then as they went in, all of a sudden, she heard the next door neighbor's wife start wailing. So my next door neighbor green Beret Sergeant Major Brad Connor had been killed in action. So now Sandra went from someone that thought it was I that got killed in action to now having to, you know, provide support and solace to our next door neighbor who just lost her husband, and to their children and everything. That's why a military spouse that is engaged and understands is so important. But there are service members out there that don't want their spouses involved. And I will tell you I had one guy in my brigade during that tour, a great sergeant first class, a great non commission aficer. He was a platoon sergeant. He didn't want his wife to worry, so he told her, oh, I don't out of the wire. Ever, even though every day he was out in the wire and he was fighting al Qaeda every day. In his last day as a platoon sergeant, when we were going to pull him out of that platoon and put him into a staff role where he wouldn't go out of the wire, his vehicle was hit by an improvised explosive device and he was killed in action. So when the casually notification team let this person know, or let his spouse know, she said, how can this happen. My husband never went out alive. We have to explain the realities of what we're doing. And if we think that we are protecting our loved ones by not sharing in the harsh realities of combat, stuff like this can happen. And think it's already bad enough that her husband was killed in action and that their father was killed in action, but it was just amplified when they were under the impression that he was just going to go over there for fifteen months, sit in a staff role and do nothing and come home in fifteen months. It even amplified the pain and the anguish. And so I think in our military couples there has to be these frank conversations at all time.
Speaker 1: You're exactly right, bro, it's so important with Ash and I and our boys. It's Honesty's the best policy, just period, and that needs to be across the board because of the simple fact, regardless of how it may make you look or not look, it's all about preparedness. Because of the fact that Sergeant first class said that to his wife. Now his widow and children have a whole different layer of healing they're going to have to go through that. Otherwise could have been mitigated just by being straight up. And that is why I think it is so important that That's why I always say there's a significant difference between communication and effective communication. Anyone can communicate effectively. Communicating is an art, but it takes honesty and vulnerability. You cannot have it without those two things. And so I'm grateful for Santa. I cannot wait to give her a hug man like because I get it. I get it, and I know the true backbone. Yeah, and I know why we're the best in the world. And there is a lot of women and some men that have never put on the cloth of this nation, but are a significant reason why we're the best in the world and we're still a free country.
Speaker 4: I think of Sandra and then her counterpart, my commander's wife, Stacy fifty four memorial services and funerals. She I mean, Sandra joined me in trips to the hospitals where here are soldiers that are bilateral amputees or burn victims over eighty percent of their body, or that are missing an eye or something like that. And that has an impact on a military spouse. And so when we talk about these resiliency programs for our service members. It has to be there for our military spouses as well.
Speaker 3: Hundred absolutely.
Speaker 1: How do you feel like therapy has impacted your life?
Speaker 4: It was the best thing that ever happened to me, all of a sudden, all the anger I had, and I didn't need. You know, there are some that require additional stuff, like service animals or medication or some I just again fit like one of these round pegs. Just talking to somebody for an hour once a week. It made me calmer. My hyper vigilance was beginning to get reduced. And I mean because and you probably had to deal with this with Jake. You know, going to the grocery store can be like a deliberate combat operation. One way. Yes, it's one way in and one way out there.
Speaker 1: And there's people there, Yeah, there's there's people there that you Yes, everything's over analyzed, everything is overthought. Everything is exhausting. You're right, Anything simple as going to a corner store is exhausting. It's like, this is not the way to live. And the fact that Sandra gave you this ultimatum. We have to protect the most important weapon will ever possess, and that's the noodle float in six inches in between our ears absolutely, because there's no prosthetic for that. Yeah, the one we got. We have to be able to talk to someone who's an unbiased third party that can just help us make our souls lighter. That's it. There's no judgment there. It's not a sign of weakness. It's exactly the opposite, which I think now, especially after having done it, you would completely agree with. It is a sign of strength and courage. And it doesn't only make you a better soldier, leader, husband, father, it makes you a better human being that by default gives you the ability to help other people.
Speaker 4: Think of this. Think of our most elite special operations forces. You know, the Sealed Team six is, the Deltas, the Mars Socks and all them. They have embedded behavioral health specialists as part of their human performance teams. Why do our most elite special operation forces have those people? Because they realize that mental and emotional challenges and PTSD and things like that are significant, and even our most elite special operators are not immune to the invisible wounds of war.
Speaker 1: That's right. We always forget we have all these titles, especially in the military, as you know, just spade of spade, you got pretty up there right, You still had a ton of bosses. Yes, it's like they're never ending. The military, it's insane. The fact that you were able to get to that and be able to take that step has been a force multiplier for the greater good in everything around you. And not to say you didn't wake up and have bad days. You're human. But that's the thing that people forget, is that we're not robots. Ye're not robots. And even those brothers serve shoulder or shoulder, it's like we're we can't forget the most important God given title first human.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I realized having you know, now I'm in a regular therapy session and life has all of a sudden turned for me. And now the anger is starting to go away, but the reflections are coming in. And I knew that I raised three sons, you know, and I was pretty strict with their upbringing. I wasn't abusive, but you know, sometimes I used harsh language and sometimes I did some things. So I knew that to get closure with what I was doing, I need to let my sons know that it was me that had the problem, it wasn't them. As I was growing up, and so I wrote a letter to all three of my sons. I was still the SEAAC at the time, and I included a book. The name of the book is Why Is Dad So Mad? A book about PTSD and military families. It is a children's book written by the author Seth Castle and illustrated by Carrisa Gonzalez Oathen Why is Dad So Mad? Oh? Wow? And I sent that to them so that they could understand or hopefully understand that what I was going through wasn't because I was a bad father. It was because I had this thing known as post traumatic stress disorder that I hadn't come to terms with, and I certainly hadn't accepted it or anything like that. That was probably one of the most emotional things I had to do, and one of the most gratifying was to write that letter to my sons and give them this book so that they could understand what PTSD is about.
Speaker 2: It's almost an additional layer of therapy that you got to go through by unleashing that and getting that off of your soul. Thinking back on your life's journey, if there was one person or organization that's made a significant impact on your life, who or what would that be?
Speaker 4: Absolutely it's the United States Military, as you just described, Ashley, the power of our nation, the United States of America where opportunity and the American dream are alive. And then the United States Military that allowed me to go from some kid that had no purpose, motivation, and direction or inspiration to all of a sudden, not only building myself as a member of this warrior class, growing my family as well, growing my potential and everything. What's culminated in me having the honor to serve as the senior enlisted guy in the Department of Defense, it has to be the United States Military. The person is obviously my wife, Sandra. I've had a lot of influential people in my life, but I could not have made this journey for almost thirty eight years were she not by my side through the good times, the bad times, in all the fun that we've had.
Speaker 2: I thought this was going to be a military episode, and it's turned into this love story, like love a country that y'all's beautiful relationship.
Speaker 1: It's awesome, hey, But like, here's the thing. Most people could get on a ship, a plane, put on a uniform and go do the things that we did. Yeah, with the right amount of training, I think most people could do, because most people will tell me like I could never do that, and I'm like, well, you don't know that.
Speaker 4: You don't know that.
Speaker 1: Very few could be the backbone, the people that hold it down at home and keep it together and keep the wills turning and keep it well oiled while maintaining their composure. Like that to me, Send me to the front. Yeah, all day, every day. I'll eat the same MRI over and over and over again. If you tell me that I have to stay at home with the kids, not knowing where my spouse is, not know send me to the front with the water gun. I'll make it work, like straight up, That's how I feel about it. That's the truth of the matter.
Speaker 4: Hey, brother, you know, we live in a world where people need safe spaces. Our safe space was wearing eighty to one hundred pounds of kit every day with a rifle with two hundred and ten rounds of ammunition, surrounded by enemy, but surrounded by our brothers and sisters that were willing to make the sacrifices up. That was easy. Yeah, what's hard is dealing with what's going on back home. That's right, I know, And I wouldn't wish that on myself for nothing. I have so much admiration for my wife, for people like Ashley and all the military spouses out there, because they are an integral part of our national security, no.
Speaker 1: Doubt about it. What do you do to recharge? What do you do to say I need to take a step back and recharge the batteries?
Speaker 4: It's uh spending with my family. I'm a pretty simple guy, you know. I love watching TV Land and stuff like that. I'm a homebody really, but my recharging is uh spending it with family. Sandra and I every quarter we try to take a mini vacation somewhere, even if it's an overnight trip to a local casino or something. Just being able to not have to worry about anything, enjoy the love of my life with a cold beverage and maybe going some karaoke and some dancing in there. That's kind of I've never forgotten that it's okay and it's not a sin to have fun. Absolutely, and so I am all about turning myself into a jackass by getting on a microphone and belting out some blank.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what, bro yeah before I ask drops the last question on you, just from our short conversation. Trust me when I tell you this. We were family long before we were family.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it. Brother.
Speaker 3: Last question, what feeds your soul.
Speaker 4: Doing for others? Seeing others succeed? What feeds me my soul is seeing someone that reached out to me for advice or that I've helped mentor and seeing them reach their untapped potential, or seeing them reach their goals, or seeing them get the things that they never thought they could do. And the biggest pain I've had is where I've loved someone so much and wanted them to reach a goal and they've failed to reach that goal. I hurt as much as they have because for some odd reason, I feel like I had something to do with that. So what feeds me is helping others attain their goals.
Speaker 2: Absolutely well, this has been soul food for us. John Wayne Truxil, thank you for everything that you've done for our country. Thank you for everything that you're continuing to do for your service, and everything that you've done since you retired out of the military after thirty almost thirty eight years. We're truly grateful and just so great to get to know you a little bit better today.
Speaker 3: And this was the good stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd tell you what, brother, your family, anything, absolutely time, anywhere say the word zero hesitation, I will jump in fake leg and all. Don't worry about that at all. That's one thing I can guarant damn to you.
Speaker 4: Well, I appreciate a brother and to shake you on, Ashley, thank you so much for allowing me this opportunity. Thank you for being family.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's awesome. What a great guy.
Speaker 2: John Wayne Truxel thirty eight years of service to our country. There will only ever be one, no kidding, what a legend.
Speaker 1: I still just can't picture walking into those two offices, to those two Marines and say, hey, I'm going to have to get back from launch a little late. That therapy, right, What an amazing list of accomplishments. That's the type of leader the military needs. He was all about his guys and.
Speaker 2: Would work so hard to become a more effective leader for himself, for his men, for his family. Just an incredible guy. What was the story he told you about about the essays?
Speaker 1: Okay, here's the thing. We're all about physical punishment because we're physical beings as warfighters. That's what we do day in and day out, don't make us exercise our brains if it doesn't have to do with clearing a room in a three D warfare environment. And he would make his guys, because you can only get a human being to fill so many sandbags. He would make him write five thousand word essays, typed up sighted and give him twenty four hour turnaround time.
Speaker 3: I don't know many college kids that could accomplish.
Speaker 1: I would rather be beaten with a cane.
Speaker 3: That's just cruel punishment.
Speaker 1: It would be less painful. No wonder they listened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, again, the type of leader he was.
Speaker 1: I would have looked at Gunny like he was high on math if he told you to do that, Yeah, because I would have looked at him like, wait, have you met me? Yeah, that's not ever gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Ever, so many great lessons to learn from this conversation, you know, for me personally, the one he said, always striving to be better the next day than I was that day. And clearly you know his love of his wife and his boys, and his men, you know, and women that served underneath them for decades.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's definitely got a memory that's second to none too. I mean remembering exact dates, exact people, and I mean this is no small fee. But Alejandro Alsano, yeah, first guy lost and service to our nation, and he'll never be forgotten, just like John Wayne will never forget them. We won't either. All their names need to be spoken. It's why we get to take advantage of this presiuous thing that we call freedom every single day, agreed.
Speaker 2: And for men like John Wayne Truxel, who are just the epitome of what it means to be a proud countryman to go on the cloth of our nation for so long and do it.
Speaker 3: I mean you can hear the pride just oozing from him.
Speaker 1: Unless we forget the great and the mighty and the one and only.
Speaker 3: Sandra, that's right. I can't wait to meet her either.
Speaker 1: I mean, clearly she was put on this planet with one job, that's right.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 2: If this episode touched you today, please share it and be part of making someone else's day better.
Speaker 4: Put on your.
Speaker 1: Badass caves and be great today. And remember you can't do epic stuff without epic people. Thank you for listening to the good Stuff. The Good Stuff is executive produced by Ashley Shick, Jacob Schick, Leah Pictures and q Code Media. Hosted by Ashley Shick and Jacob Shick. Produced by Nick Cassolini and Ryan Countshouse post production supervisor Will Tindi. Music editing by Will heywood Smith, edited by Mike Robinson,