Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control making Traffic Safe Again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred, or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx the new power move Independence health System expert Care here, Remax Select Realty Visit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit go Laurel Highlands dot com. The Steelers Pro Shop visit shop dot Steelers dot com and buy Condiente Pizza and Drafthouse.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Steeler Nation. How we doing well? That's good us too. It is our number three the bonus hour of the drive here from Saint Vincent College. As the day turns into the evening, and you know what that means. It's time for us to hit on the tweets here with all your questions, comments and concerns and reactions.
Speaker 3: Matt not looking like a five o'clock walk through.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I think today was pretty walk through ish at practice.
Speaker 2: Yes, And if you look over to our left mat, it looks like there's some food trucks rolling in, so maybe they've got some some team bonding stuff. You see those Yeah, yeah, yeah, the top of the baseball field.
Speaker 3: There, something's going on at the baseball field. I mean, I wonder if they're having the home run contast like they used to.
Speaker 2: I think they might be.
Speaker 3: They might be. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't quote me on this, I don't know anything, but with our extensive experience of our time of training camps in past, I would think that they're doing the home run derby now and then maybe some food trucks afterwards to celebrate.
Speaker 3: I think that's how they've done it in the past and probably keep that tradition going.
Speaker 2: So maybe if you, uh, if you stay tuned to the Steelers' social media accounts tonight, you could find out who won the home run derby.
Speaker 3: Some recent winners I think were Russ Wilson Fields. I know Queen did well. There's a first or second place the last couple of years. I forget who won it last.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, was it schronic last year?
Speaker 3: Maybe? Maybe?
Speaker 2: But the year before it was Fields, he beat out Russell Wilson in an epic back and forth. And then the two years before that it was Kenny Pickett. He was a back to back Yeah, he was a back to back winner. And then uh and then Fields and I am drawn a blanket.
Speaker 3: I know Queen was in it to the.
Speaker 2: Might have been Queen last year. But yeah, that's a that's always an interesting thing to follow here, and it always gets those guys get real into it, as you can expect their professional.
Speaker 3: Last they should, right, And some of them have a pretty extensive baseball background.
Speaker 2: Too, Yes they do, they certainly do.
Speaker 3: They used tell stories. Remember Dennis Dixon, he was like a round pick. I guess he was a heck of a center fielder two and he was dominant in.
Speaker 2: That very very interesting, very interesting. Let's get to the tweets here. Oh yeah, you're like a lot of these guys played high level, you know, high level.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Michael Edesso, our buddy, says, I think Matt may owe a tiny apology to Robert Heath tanyan. He looked good out there in the number Yeah earlier, you sure did. Hey, let's maybe we can hold off on the Heath stuff. I know the numbers are saying, but if he could just be if he could just be a viable third tight end, I'll take it, baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he showed that. I feel more confident about him as the third tight end after seeing him play real football against guys that he should beat up on, and he did. It was a very good showing by him.
Speaker 2: Berg Sports says, Matt, can you please compare what Dak Prescott was when he was drafted as a prospect to Drew Aller? You know, Dak was also drafted lower, you know, push down the draft a little bit. And is there any similarities in his path that Drew Aller might be able to follow. That's a good question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna have to go back in the memory banks here a little bit. Now, Dak tore up preseason stuff training camp, and the and Romo got hurt. So there was a what it'd almost been knock on wood. We almost like if Rogers got hurt. Now, I mean there was a clear starter up in age that had a very successful career that got injured and never got the job back because they move to Dak and who became like a Rookie of the Year type dude. The same year they drafted Zeke Elliot. Those two were like the rookies in the league. Now, I do remember he was a fifth round pick. He is one of the few at the time, and it seems like it was so long ago I was brought up. You know in the scouting world that quarterbacks will never get more accurate at the NFL level, and it's harder to do there. They're never gonna get more accurate. Is the level of difficulty goes up. Well, that's drastically changed. Josh Allen's the best example ever. Hurts Dak is another one, and the big thing I attribute to it that's changed drastically since. Why I was taught these things two decades ago was all the private coaching these guys get from quarterback gurus, you know, away from the team, and all the biomechanics and all the technology and move your foot just a little bit this way and you know, new rotation. So he got drastically more accurate than he was in college and against more difficult Homer State competition. He also relied on his athleticism much more then than now. He had really bad injuries between now and then, but he was a top Notch. He was a B plus a minus runner and that got him out of a lot of trouble too. And they had a really good running game with Zeke, who was a stud at the time. But I don't know that there's a ton of similarities between him and al Or as you know, I'm not sure there's a lot of parallels there.
Speaker 2: Steele. Curtin says, depending on how things go this year, if I was the Roonies, I would be trying to bring Aaron Rodgers into my office and seeing what I could do to have him on the coaching staff next year. The information and the help that he gave on Thursday night was awesome. Steeve Kurt and I agree with you. But if you look at it, Matt, the ex quarterbacks turned coaches, they're the Koobi Acts and the other the Frank Reichs. Ben Roethlisberger doesn't go into coaching after playing Tom Brady, Peyton Manning. These guys made a gazillion dollars, had all the success in the world. And this is another thing Arthur would tell you, because every once in a while when we'd be doing Twitter segments, Motes would get a question like, Hey, Motes, did you ever think about going into coaching, and he'd always be like, no, it's more of a time commitment than when you're a player. Hey, Mark, you're in the facility before the players. You're in the facility after the players. Yeah, you get no offseason because you're on to the next thing, and you.
Speaker 3: Probably make six figures, which for Aaron Rodgers is knocking a couple zeros off what he usually brings in a year. I'm sure he's anxious to do other things, just kind of being around the guy, host Jeopardy or travel or do whatever he's gonna do. And frankly, it's not terrible suggestion. I mean, I think his influence on young quarterbacks is great, which is one of the pros to me of drafting one this year, because you know that guy Aller in this case gets a year just hanging in the room with that guy and just by osmosis, unless you're living under rock, you're gonna learn something. But if next year, let's say the quarterback room is Howard Aller and a first round pick or a second round pick or something like that, and none of them look like they're ready, what a huge distraction it's going to be to have the Hall of Famer in the building too, like you got to turn the page.
Speaker 2: Hey, can you sign a one year deal again?
Speaker 3: Aaron? Hey, you know what are you doing? Sunday?
Speaker 2: Adam says, everyone praising everyone is praising Aller, which is great. However, I believe we should all exercise caution. Kenny Pickett also had a phenomenal preseason phenomena how that turned out. It's funny you say that, Adam. I did the postgame show on Thursday night with Mike Persuda, and that's one thing that we mentioned. You cannot put the cart before the horse in these preseason goes. But you also, I echo the ton Chokin sentiment once again, you got to start somewhere, and if you can't beat the stiffs, you are a stiff, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is defuly a good thing. Again, we're not getting his jacket ready or saying he's a future starter. And Pickett's a great example. He tore up the entire preseason that year and didn't go so well after that.
Speaker 2: In the entire offense. I mean they were like the first team. They had five drives, scored like four touchdowns and had a field goal and then really and then the first game of the season against the Niners. It was twenty eight to nothing at half nine. Day Yeah right right, Max says, guys, you've been talking about the greens keeping out there at training camp. How is the new surface in the stadium on game day? It looked excellent. I don't know if you saw that.
Speaker 3: I did not go to the game. I did the preseason and then I watched it. Or I did the pregame and then I went home, because you actually did the post game for me.
Speaker 2: Yes, I did. They installed new grass at the field this show. So it's been Kentucky, been Kentucky blue grass in the past, right up your alley with two kids.
Speaker 3: That's a real thing UK. By the way, yeah, sure it is. It's not blue blue, but it's got a bluish tint to it.
Speaker 2: And they why did you went on sophisticated with your voice day? It's called a blue blueish I heard they recently added more hoops to it. That's a super bad reference for all of you at home.
Speaker 3: They did it driving there as we speak, getting there any minute.
Speaker 2: But he's listening to the show. I doubt it. Here's enough from his old man. Is he to listen to him for three hours on a setday. They did install a different kind of grass. Someone told me what it was. I'm I know, Kentucky blue grass. I think that's isn't there a Bermuda type something? But it wasn't that one. You know. I'm not Snoop Dogg. I'm not a grass expert, okay, but I do know that they changed it to something different this year and it looked really good. It looked like it held up well. The nugget that I got was it's the they switched to the same grass that the Philadelphia Eagles use. And remember the Eagles.
Speaker 3: Also say, is this a World Cup thing?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's a World Cup thing. I think it's a Eagles share their stadium with Temple as well, much like the Steelers do with Pitt and so the Eagles have had more success with this type in terms of usage for kind of multiple games.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, but some back to back stuff.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Also, the same area of the country, give or take in terms of when it gets cold and nasty out, yeah, grass doesn't grow as well exactly right.
Speaker 2: Hey, there's not much we can take from Philadelphia, but maybe that's one of the things that we can Ian says, great work on the pregame and and the coverage for the preseason. Gentlemen, No on you guys. My three takeaways. Number one, the Nard Dog is a great receiver. That is, of course, Jeremy Bernard Nard Dog. Number two, the offensive line looked rusty, especially Dylan Cook and Faltanu.
Speaker 3: And we discussed. We discussed that rough tackle day.
Speaker 2: Rough rough tackle day. Not the greatest from the offensive line overall, although I did like what we saw from brock Hoffman. Maybe we can talk about that a little bit more too.
Speaker 3: He's a player, yeah, not that the other guys aren't.
Speaker 2: And number three, the Steelers are the Kings of drafting pre season Hall of Fame quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: I guess him and pick it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Howard to maybe Howard too. Let's see we get to one or two more here before we go to break. Corbyn says, is it more likely next year that Mike Tomlin is either the head coach of the Washington Commanders or Tampa Bay Buccaneers, or he's in the broadcast booth.
Speaker 3: I have no idea. I think it's too early to make that judgment. I'm not sure he would know.
Speaker 2: He probably wants to see how he likes this year of broadcasting too. He's still really early in that process.
Speaker 3: He might really really miss being in charge of a team pretty good at it.
Speaker 2: He was pretty good at it. He certainly was Steelers. Berner, our buddy from York who we met at Sharkey's a couple of weeks ago, has two questions for us. Number one, does the E Rob signing spell the end for Malik Harrison? And also, do we think inside linebacker play may improve simply by just moving into Patrick Graham's schemes.
Speaker 3: I think yes and yes.
Speaker 2: I think yes and yes, And maybe you need to look at guy, you know. He mentions this guy's like Splaine and Eric Roberts who kind of went to Patrick Graham's defenses and and and had a little bit better of performances at least in terms of statistically.
Speaker 3: M hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think yes and.
Speaker 3: Yes and yeah, I lean both both yes on that.
Speaker 2: I if you're asking me the guys that have the opportunity to really change a narrative this season, I would start with Patrick Queen and Peyton Wilson.
Speaker 3: Queen in particular, just because we've seen a lot of success in the league that's a very.
Speaker 2: Good point, very good point. Well, see if we can get to more of these tweets as we roll along, Well, certainly I've got some of these.
Speaker 3: Otherwise that could be a very underrated offseason need. Queen's are free agent. You're not going to get extend Wilson. I mean, if you don't go quarterback in the first round, it could be off the ball linebacker. That's really looking ahead.
Speaker 2: But maybe maybe we'll maybe we'll add some linebackers to a round campus as this season rolls along. I do want to hear a little bit from Keanu Benton when we return. Maybe we'll hit some more of your tweets as we continue to react to, of course, the news of today, which is the Keanu Benton contract extension, and the news of the weekend, which is all these preseason games and the Pittsburgh Steelers victorious first effort against the Green Bay Packers. Plenty more to cover as we roll along here, West Huler, Matt Williamson. It's all part of our training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live covery Chump Dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood, Ford Store Creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank and First National Bank. Let's Get Start member FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling we Imagine by Leecom Digital, Donze Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale, and by Hass's stake in Seahouse. Hass Is his hospitality.
Speaker 2: Rolling along here in the bonus hour of the Drive. Only a couple more of these bonus hours left in this twenty twenty six training camp at Saint Vincent College. Matt We mentioned it earlier today down at the Fred Rogers Center at the bottom of the hill, which is where the Steelers do press conferences, and that's kind of the makeshift media Yeah yeah, media area. During training camp, newest Steelers extension signee Kean Ubenten went to the podium to kind of do you know, as these guys always do when you sign an extension, there's media availability about it. The big man get in a bag and here's what he had to say.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, First of all, I just wanna say I'm excited. This is a dream come true for me and my family. I wanna think Mr Rooney, ms uh Omar, I wanna think Mike t. I wanna thank my parents, my family, the whole Stillers organization, Uh, my beautiful girlfriend, all my boys who I put in and work with to get to this point. I'm just forever grateful, uh God putting me in these positions to overcome obstacles and come out on top each and every time. So I just wanna thank all those people and can't wait to see what the future holdes Keana.
Speaker 6: A couple months ago, you were the one standing in the back room for.
Speaker 7: Nick when he got his uh he got his extension.
Speaker 5: What does it mean to you that both of you guys long as you can friends both, they'll have your extensions and are playing here for so much longer. Yeah, you know, it's a dream come true. This is our seven eighth year playing together, uh consecutively. I think it means the world. You know, I was back there, I was celebrating for him, but then at the same time getting that itch like when is my turn gonna come? But now we both we both got our contract done and we can kind of take this thing to the next level.
Speaker 4: Ye Can you kind of take me.
Speaker 2: Back to UH mobile during the Senior Bowl during your draft process.
Speaker 4: I remember being down there and speaking with some of the stewers people that were there, and they.
Speaker 7: Were just really impressed in you during that time.
Speaker 4: From that point on through the entire draft process, can you remember just your interactions with the stewers and could you have imagine getting to this point now where uniform just drafted by.
Speaker 7: The getting a second concert. Yeah, you know it was. It was pretty brief at the Senior Bowl.
Speaker 5: It w It was kind of crazy cause you know, you see Mike t on television and stuff like that, but he just came up on the side note after a pass to us and told me I was something special. So him him actually going through with his words and and picking me up in the draft in the second round, UH meant the world to me.
Speaker 7: And then now I'm with PG who is my head coach.
Speaker 5: At the Senior Bowl, it's just, you know, this whole thing just goes full circle and you never know who you'll be playing for. Just respecting everybody and making the most of every situation.
Speaker 4: You're in.
Speaker 6: Tell you're the third game from your draft class to get a contract extension.
Speaker 4: Seems like possible as there could be more. How early on did.
Speaker 6: You guys realize the group of you together we're gonna be pretty special.
Speaker 4: For this team.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think we knew it right off.
Speaker 4: Rip.
Speaker 5: We had a we had this bond that that was untouchable. And I feel like that's important, especially going into the league, because you know, you got that bond in college because you know, everybody is still young. You know, you meet new people, you get that brotherhood, but when you get to the league, it kind of leaks off a little bit. Everybody got families and stuff like that. But we kind of made a promise to our class that were gonna stay close and stay at it. So I feel like we had we had to uh hold each other accountable and it just became contagious. Same times, seems like you guys are building a uh young defensive.
Speaker 7: Line movement, but you still cam in the room.
Speaker 6: You Derek White, guys like Game Reel, guys like a.
Speaker 7: Little they think you guys have anna come up.
Speaker 2: What does it mean that you what you guys been able to build in just your couple of years together figuring each other out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think this is just the stepping stones to something special. Uh.
Speaker 5: I feel like all those guys, including myself, you know, you just find little.
Speaker 7: Things to get better at each day, each week.
Speaker 5: Just figuring each other out is it comes along with just playing playing with each other over a period of time. And I think this is gonna come naturally and and we're gonna be.
Speaker 7: A pretty good group up front.
Speaker 3: What did you notice a contract was kind of kind of be on the horizon.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you're Asians and the team caught, but when did you kind.
Speaker 2: Of start dialing in though?
Speaker 3: I think it might be today, that last Saturday. Hypothetically it was coming.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I knew it was coming eventually, but just didn't know when.
Speaker 7: See, I still ain't got a haircut today. If I if I.
Speaker 5: Knew, uh it was today, Uh, I would definitely got cleaned up a little bit. But I was just trying to focus on making the most of these last few days of camp and let my agent figure out the whole contract situation, not play as much.
Speaker 6: News and play a little bit more either goats the situations or more of you.
Speaker 7: Know, outside Moorish. Is that is that happening this year or so?
Speaker 4: And is that what you want.
Speaker 7: Producing sacks and things? Is that something that you you wanna I feel like I can play all over the D line.
Speaker 5: Where I'm gonna play and how much I'm gonna play and each position is up to my coach, So I'm ready for whatever. At this point from Northlea said that there's a definitely more there work comes in your game, and I.
Speaker 2: Think this extension probably also kind of speaks to that.
Speaker 4: How do you feel like there's more in there?
Speaker 6: What do you feel like you need to do more, whether that's your own performance, how you wanna fit.
Speaker 2: Into this special particular scheme, what do you need to do to to get to that next level for you?
Speaker 5: I think it's just the the m utilizing me in different places on the D line.
Speaker 7: I feel like that's something I ha. I haven't had the opportunity to.
Speaker 5: Do as much to this point, but I I'm I'm feeling that that's what I'm gonna be doing this year, just moving around, being that that army Swiss knife that can plug in left right, middle, just playing all those positions and getting after the quarterback for sir, you heard.
Speaker 7: Uh first person her?
Speaker 2: How did you find out last night that that you was done? It was the first person he told him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I was in my bed actually, uh that my agent told me to call him. And I assume cause if you not about telling me to call you for no reason, why I'm about to go to bed. But we actually added Nick to the call first, and then I was able to tell my my.
Speaker 7: Uh girlfriend, and then my my parents.
Speaker 4: Well and what was that call?
Speaker 5: Like that?
Speaker 2: Did you know that he.
Speaker 7: Was gonna tell you, like, hey, it's done when you added Nick to the call. I mean, I assume when like he added to him after he told me.
Speaker 5: But uh, I assume just because you not telling me to call you at ten o'clock for no reason after I told you I'm in bed.
Speaker 7: So it got it better be something. Did you sleep after that? Not really?
Speaker 5: Me and Nick stayed up for a little bit, just talking and you know, reflecting on how far we came for real. You know that seven years done went by kind of fast, but he made a lot of progress within it.
Speaker 3: You know, we've heard a lot from players in the defense talking about how Patrick Graham has worked so much closer with the D line as the decordinator. What has he been like?
Speaker 7: And he focuses extra hit on with you guys along with you know the back.
Speaker 4: Old and what do you guys already have.
Speaker 5: I think it's been awesome. He's a old D line coach and he not afraid to show it. He he not afraid to speak his mind and I love that about him. He he brings a different edge to us. And it's always nice to have another person's like opinion on like on your staff on what's going on and having having multiple minds working on the same thing. But I think he brings a lot to us and just making it a lot easier for us.
Speaker 7: Is there a difference in how he coaches you guys to maybe.
Speaker 3: Hold up offensive line in a bit more to keep the linebackers clean.
Speaker 2: That was something that I was talking to some of the linebackers.
Speaker 3: He said, like, you know, especially in.
Speaker 2: The first preseason game, how clean they or versus you know, you.
Speaker 7: Guys focusing on attacking. It seems like there might be a different emphasis this year. Is that a different emphasis for you guys as a D line or that's the thing you guys always did.
Speaker 5: I mean, I feel like he's he's almost doing the opposite, like he's he's telling the linebackers to keep us clean when they're pressing gaps and making sure they're kind of getting down here and not letting them double team stay on us.
Speaker 7: But I think he's doing the great job of that.
Speaker 6: What's the congratulations?
Speaker 3: What's the first thing you're gonna get anything in mind?
Speaker 7: Yet?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 7: I got pretty much everything I want for real.
Speaker 5: I'm not ready to spend it all yet, but we're gonna have some fun for sure.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 7: Good, all right, thank you.
Speaker 2: That was Steeler's newly extended defensive lineman Keanu Benton, speaking just an hour or two ago down at the Rogers Center his press conference. Uh, after the contract extension, Matt, we kind of spent a good chunk of the first we're talking about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and big deal.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a big deal. It is a big number, not necessarily in the grand scheme of the NFL, but just on paper, the kind of sticker price. But as we kind of outlined, man, if he just continues to grow and grow and slides into maybe a more favorable role here in this Patrick Graham defense, that contract is gonna look very favorable here in another year two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think they'll take long before you can really reevaluate it. If he takes one step forward, if he takes two steps forward, you're whole bargain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, one more segment to go. On the other side, we will round out the day's proceedings from here at Saint Vincent College where Matt it looks like the Saint Vincent football team is getting some work done down on the on the small turf field there. We've ye, we've talked about that before. How when you get to the last couple of days of KUP, you'll start to see the Saint Vincent like football and soccer and lacrosse teams having some evening practices here. So some more to get to, some teas to cross, some eyes to dot. We'll hear a little bit from Mike McCarthy as well when we close things down. On the other side, Well Shuler at Williamson It's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of twenty twenty six Steelers training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood Ford Store Creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank, Let's Get Started Member FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale, and by Hoss's Steak and Seahouse hass is Is Hospitality.
Speaker 2: Final segment here on this Saturday edition of the Drive, And of course, a lot of the conversation today around some contract extensions for Benton and across the league, but a lot of what we discussed being of course, the Steelers first preseason game on Thursday, and let's hear from Mike McCarthy. He recapped some of that. Now you know a few days out, Matt. You you always hear from the coaches after the games, But then I like hearing from him a day or two later, because you know they've had time to watch the film, really dissect it. Really think.
Speaker 3: I always think it's like unfair to interview a coach right after the game. I bet them to be on top of everything, and like, why'd you make this exact call and tell me about this exact injury. It's like it's a busy here, yeah, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know you're on the sideline play by play. You might not have gotten the best look at a controversial penalty or or things like that. So I do always like hearing the coaches thoughts, you know, a day or two after the fact. And here's what Mike McCarthy had to say earlier.
Speaker 6: I know you and uh, you know, walking to a new situation. I mean, I've always felt this way, and it's a it's a it's a great day when you're when one of your players gets a second contract. You know, when KB walked into the team meeting, everybody applauded. So I think that tells you right there how everybody feels about him. So, as I've said before, if you know a thousand charge of the money, i'd I'd pay 'em all and we wouldn't have any money. But uh, I think it's important, you know. I I I believe in draft and development. I mean, that's that's been the mode of operation that I've worked under, you know, my whole time as a head coach. And and it's important, it's so important to this year. It's important to moving forward. So it's uh, you know, it's new for me cause you know, I'm I'm the coach you know in in In my opinion is it's probably the shortest because of you know, just a limit of time that I've.
Speaker 4: Had with these guys.
Speaker 6: But you know, Kean event getting that contract today, I think that's that's.
Speaker 4: Huge for him.
Speaker 6: And I had a chance to visit with him last night and just you know, all happy he is for you know, him and his family and and that's a that's that's a big day for those you know, anytime most guys get that contract.
Speaker 4: So very happy for him, and your time around here would have stun up you uh vet what a kind of player he is?
Speaker 6: Well, I think the way I would describe when his smile, you know, h his smile R reflects the energy that he plays with. You know, he's a he's a big guy, he's his twitch, uh you know, his his uh athletic ability. I think there's definitely an you know, there's more there as far as the ceiling. So that that's you know, that's my personal opinion on him. I think there's a lot of football in front of him too. So I I think that's exciting. You know, you look at the dynamics of our of our defensive line room.
Speaker 4: I mean, boy, we you know, we.
Speaker 6: Have a a really good blend of veteran A and young guys and you know obviously having a rookie in there too. So that then that's that's that, that's something that you know bodes well for us, you know today and moving forward, Like looking back at the say, uh, what did you like about your quarterbacks assault? Well, I'll say this all I thought all three quarterbacks commanded the huddle, they commanded the operation. I thought our our operation, we got off to a good start. I mean there wasn't you know, any hiccups. You know, you know, we continue to really strive to be better in the pre snap. You know, that was really part of what today's practice was to go back and correct it. So but I think for the first game, I thought they did a really good job of managing the game, you know, playing the play, not getting outside themselves. So I liked their time clock when they activated the scrambles rule. You know, they didn't come out too soon. They hung in there. Try to step up in the A and B gapps. Uh, so we had some good play extension production and you know, and I thought their ball placement decision making was.
Speaker 4: Was was strong for the first time out.
Speaker 6: So and you know, so much of preseason football is number one, you know, particularly young guys that get out there to their assignment strong.
Speaker 4: And but you also.
Speaker 6: As a quarterback, you got to you got to know how to react when the guy doesn't run the right route. And you know, Will had one and I thought he did a good job of gett you know, getting on to the to the second receiver and trying to get to the checkout. So, uh, those are all positive little They're all they're all positive little little things that uh, you know, just through experience you learn to see how they handle handle that too. So but uh, number one was a ball security. That's you know, that's the first thing we always talked about, and you know, and then the correction component of so we we did a good job taking care of the ball.
Speaker 4: But I thought they got off to a good start.
Speaker 7: You also brought back to provert what did she this?
Speaker 6: I ti Land and I just you know, know of him of reputation, but uh, just to see him walk in the locker room last night, and the credibility, uh that he has, you know, he is. Ah, I've always viewed him as a physical school type linebacker, but you know, big smile and you could just see the way everybody reacted to them, coaches and players alike last night. So it's it's great to have him back in the mix.
Speaker 4: Did you hear from Patrick Graham on that signing and.
Speaker 6: Did he suggest Yeah, Patrick had a very very positive opinion of Yes, Well.
Speaker 7: Coached your pots Or to play on Blue Nichols and campaign and as what was the game a couple of days ago.
Speaker 6: Well, I, you know, I think number one, you know, the individual, you know the individual you know, breakdown of each guy.
Speaker 4: I you know, I I'm I'm not going.
Speaker 6: To go pro you know, up and down it specifically, but you know, I'll say with our defense, you know, we we the big picture is we want we wanted to get off, you know, play physical. I I thought we were you know, physical, more physical our opponent you know, for for.
Speaker 4: The most part of the of the game.
Speaker 6: So that's that's just number one box you wanna check and now we have to build off of that. So definitely playing it into that special teams you know also was it was a good I I thought up front, you know, offensively when we didn't have you know, when the assignment or you know, the the technicality of it wasn't exactly right.
Speaker 4: So I thought we got off.
Speaker 6: The f uh first, a good start there, but you know it flew to the ball. I I think the one we talked it was hit last night or two nights ago. Is the last thing too with the penalties, So you know, we'll take a probably a deeper dive into that in the team period tomorrow, uh, because I think it's important to make sure I'm clearly explaining and emphasizing where we are today as a team and where I'm going at too is you know, you asked your team to be physical and to cut it loose, to lay it out there, and you know then with that comes to discipline. So discipline in the gray area, because you know we had we had some penalties. There were clear cut penalties, you know, as far as a hand placement or you know, uh, being the second reactor to a situation on the boundaries, so that you know, the pre stut penalties are unacceptable for as much time as we've emphasized and and corrected in the pre snapp we we we need to we need to step We got to take that up a step there.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: That that's you know, as part of today's work too, is to just make sure we're clean there. But you know, the gray area penalties, we got to make sure we were we you know, we want to play with pure physicality and then be technically correct in the moment with so you know, I think when you try to train your team and to be technically correct and then you're on your ass about being physical, that that's that's just not the method that that that we're gonna go here.
Speaker 4: It's about being physical first.
Speaker 6: It's about you know, you know, first guy that throws the first punch and the guy that gets his hands inside and has the highest percentage of winning that down winning that particular battle. So we'll just keep emphasizing it. And I thought our players that had I thought they did a really nice job doing it. I was I was pleased with the overroll football team. Right.
Speaker 3: The NFL has now allowed and coaches to designate someone else.
Speaker 7: To go to challenge. Do you wanna keep guy to do that or do you go somebody else.
Speaker 6: That's gonna you know, I think we you know, I understand you know, scars are gonna miss a day or two, and uh, he would be the one person that that you know, that would probably fit that role. I know he's done that in the past. You know, I was frankly surprised by it. I find out about it at the same time that they that y all did, and he ends did excuse me. So you know, we'll talk about it, you know, I didn't give much thought outside of the conversation when the when it came out, just cause I've done it for so long, so and if if there's a better way to do it.
Speaker 4: But we have a network.
Speaker 6: You know, we have people in the box and you know who's communicating and you know.
Speaker 4: We have more than one set eyes on it for sure.
Speaker 6: Uh So we have a communication network that's you know, part of our game management process. So we'll talk about it. But I, you know, I I don't see I don't see it changing.
Speaker 7: Have you decided whuch coaches you're gonna have in a box and you.
Speaker 6: Like the coordinates on the side of well, we'll we'll we'll work it differently this uh this week, you know, so we we have t you know, two plans, you know, So I think our offensive plan was was solid, you know, but I I know Patrick, uh speaking to him, you know, after the game and again this morning, so we we may we may look at a different you.
Speaker 4: Know, another option. Just which is normal.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, I you know, it's not every year, but when you have new coaches, you know, sp you know, some guys are better in the box, some guys are better in the field, some guys have more experienced in the walk some guys and vice versa. So you know, it's just really you know, learning, you know, your your staff. You know, every day we're you know, it's my first time going through this with them. It's it's a lot of their first time being in this program of how you know, I want things to look. And it's our first time here at Saint Vincent. So it's you know, hopefully we're getting better. There's a lot of notes that we think every day about things will tweak and change for next year. So I mean that's I think that's just part of you know, even like to day today.
Speaker 4: So I mean, you know, we'll do this schedule this this day.
Speaker 6: Next year, we'll we'll be we'll be done differently, so it's it's the same thing for the box.
Speaker 4: So we'll just keep talking about it at quarterbacks. So much with the footwork and all the mechanics, did those guys were they able to kind of stick through that sometimes of like multile memory that live.
Speaker 6: Action takes you out of that rhythm to kind of Yeah, I thought, if you're watching the tape, I think there's some good, good, good examples of you know, when they when they go through the progression one too and then maybe have be got pressure at a sleeper feet. You know, you can see them hopping. You just give you some insight, you know, just you know they're we don't teach 'em a hop so you know they're they slide their feed cleats in a ground. So, uh, I thought, I thought all three of those guys did a nice job.
Speaker 2: Mike.
Speaker 7: Were you seeing some of the things that we saw in the game and game.
Speaker 4: Weegen you see roude or when did that catch you or were you seeing develop Uh?
Speaker 6: We need more of it, frankly, I mean I was, you know, I'm glad to seeing right, you know, he went, you know, he ran the route and and really the throw the throw in the in the time of the decision, it was was a big part of that success. So you know, I thought that was a really good play for him.
Speaker 4: You know, he needs to get an INDI end zone.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's that's that's the kind of player we we viewed him as when we drafted him out of Ioway.
Speaker 4: So you know, he's he's young, he needs uh, he's.
Speaker 6: Got some things he's got to clean up. But you know, with his job responsibilities, when we put him in space, we expect him to score two.
Speaker 2: More guys, two more Cause what have you learned about your defense under uh?
Speaker 4: Pat right now that you've seen him, you think wins.
Speaker 6: Situation, you know, uh, And that's why it it's so important when you when you get together. You know, it's a veteran group. You know, we still have some you know, veterans that still haven't practiced yet. So we made a huge, huge emphasis on the communication component of it, which you always do in year one. So that's not abnormal, but you know, we it's not only do we have a new staff, but you know, we have some veteran players that have played in the system here last year, but to play other places. So really like pulling that together, is that there's some real important hurdles you need to get over. So I think, you know, I like the way they're communicating and and didn't really see you know, we really didn't have any of those are things you see more during the game and then you.
Speaker 4: Talk about afterwards.
Speaker 6: And that's why sometimes when you get into post game and they asked you a question about, you know, a combination block, and unless we had time to correct it right there, you know, was it did it you know the center? Could he call a three man's game or did he go with a two man's game? Or was a communication hurt? So I don't think we saw really had any of that on the defensive side of the ball, so which which I was excited about because you know, in year one, you know you want to get the communication off and I and I just you know, you'll get tired to hear me quote Marty Schoenheimer. But I thought one of the best things a lot of great things he did, but when the when the team, when you didn't have when you had a lot of mental airs or miss assignment, I mean he'd walk, he'd walk in the offensive staff, meaning you had twelve runs up there that were going into the game, he'd cut that thing to eight. And he says, you know, he just you know, when when the when them as are up and Emmy's up, that's on the coaches, you know. And we we got to do a better job of keeping our volume tight because we got to communicate because we you know, I'm a big believer, and you know, just get get the call in. You know, we had all our calls, most of our calls have adjustment opportunities. And get it to p Q. Let him get that front set. You know, let this linemen, you know, read the two man three man surface. Let's get this thing and let's get it on. And I and I for it to be as simple as it could be. That's the way we want to play. And now we have play this game. Patrick's you know, getting in Joe and and j you know, those those guys have done a hell of a job putting together a schematic playbook that you know, we got a lot of bulls to fly shoot, but we we gotta make sure the ones we got loaded, they're they're they're ready to go. So I thought we got off to a good start.
Speaker 4: There might last one. The injuries that you can make at them. You want can you see them practice so much longer? Do you see them?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think they're gonna be hard pressed to work this week, you know. So I that was frankly, Uh, today's work was a little bit of reflection of you know, our our health you know health reporter, you know where we are medically.
Speaker 4: So hopefully this gives these guys, you.
Speaker 6: Know, all the guys that have you know, something that come out of the game nextra day to get there get their legs back. But uh, we do wanna go you know, not a full two and a half hours, uh Sunday Monday, but we'll be about to you know, two hours and twenty minutes is where we're where we have scheduled. So we will we wanna have two really good practices, you know. Sunday will be install eight. That's it'll be the last install, so we're only having seven installs next years to change for you there you go get some scoop. But so we'll get that in and then then we'll score working on Monday a little bit of jets. But I do want to see as much competitive you know, offense versus defense, vice versa.
Speaker 4: So that's always our best work, all right, thank you.
Speaker 2: That's Steelers head coach Mike McCarthy, now undefeated in his black and gold tenure.
Speaker 3: Okay, I like that.
Speaker 2: Drew Aller's getting his camp. Mike McCarthy's going, we're gonna go what twenty and oh this year? Also, yeah, it would be twenty and oh this year if you ran the table. Nothing to worry about except for where the parade is going to be in Pittsburgh in February. I have a you know, Liberty Avenue, Fifth Avenue.
Speaker 3: I'm sure's plenty of fun spots, right, have.
Speaker 2: It down to Point State Park and we can all just we can all just gather there. But that will do it for our show today. Had a lot of fun, Matt. I'll just say it's good having some football back, man, some real tangible, real tangible football on. There's some more preseason games, uh, that we're going on today and to night. Maybe we'll have some more conversation from those tomorrow, and we will certainly continue to download more thoughts from the Steelers first preseason games and from all the moving and shaking here at Saint Vincent College. But that will do it for us today. Big thanks to Justin Miller, our guy back at the ranch for producing for Matt Williams and Unbuschheler. Take care everybody, and we will talk to you tomorrow. As always, you know where to find us. It's on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network