Speaker 1: Hey, what's up? Man?
Speaker 2: Hey, hmm, I just got back from work.
Speaker 1: What do you do for work?
Speaker 2: I basically sick. So you know how every school kid has a chromebook? I fixed those.
Speaker 1: Oh that's nice our kids do. Do you ever see like kids like going on porn hub and ship?
Speaker 2: I mean, of course I've never seen it myself because I work, sorry, and this is a bit nervous. So I work like in the back office where we just get like a bunch of bunch of broken ship and I'll see on the notes it'll say that the kid was on a movie site where the kid was watching porn.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. Do they get do you like, like, have you ever like seen like like you check the history of the chromebook and it's a bunch of porn? Like do you ever rat the kid out?
Speaker 2: Oh? Of course, Uh, it's kind of tempting, but I don't really because I don't want to know what the kid is watching. You know, that's weird.
Speaker 1: That is weird. I agree with that. It's better to that's the kind of thing that you want to just remove from your brain entirely and not deal with. Yeah, A mod is am I saying that? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Mod? I mean.
Speaker 1: You said. Here's what you texted me. You said, my name is a mod I'm twenty years old. I want to talk about how I immigrated to America ten years ago from Pakistan. And you also added this, You said, I also still sleep with my mom parentheses. You added this parentheses. You said parentheses not in a weird way? What's up? Tell me?
Speaker 2: More so, do you want to know about the immigration part or the mom part?
Speaker 1: Are they related in any way shape or for him?
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess a little bit, because you know how in Southeasian culture, families are like really close together. Sure, yeah so, but that's not really the reason. I guess. The reason is basically, my mom has schizophrenia, so she'll have like involuntary movements and whatnot. So I do still sleep with her on the same bed if you can imagine, Oh, so.
Speaker 1: You sleep with her in the same bed, yeah, like help her out with the queen in voluntary movements.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, it's not like crazy. She's basically a normal person. But like sometimes I well, I don't know, schizophrenia is really like unpredictable, so sometimes to randomly have like moments. But overall she is just a regular person.
Speaker 1: M do you sleep with in the same bed, like, like to help her out in cases she needs help?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So I mean sometimes he will just like I guess randomly started like swinging your hands on whatever hand. I don't know, So that's why.
Speaker 1: How often do you need to help her?
Speaker 2: I mean, as I said, it's mostly a normal person. To be honest, that'll have to like once a month or something, or if something like preggers are specifically, Do.
Speaker 1: You sleep in the bed with her every night?
Speaker 2: Every night? Do?
Speaker 1: I'm curious? What's up with your dad? Is he not around to help out?
Speaker 2: Well, my dad sleeps. It's so it's a queen size bed and then there's like a regular like a single mattress right next to it, so I basically sleep in between my mom and dad. Oh my god, it's so weird to say that out loud now because I've never ever.
Speaker 1: So wait, let me get this straight. I'm it's a queen size bed. So you you there's a mattress by the bed and you sleep on that, So you don't actually don't sleep in the same bed as your mom. You sleep on a mattress. But you said you sleep on a mattress by the bed.
Speaker 2: That's that's my dad. So I sleep in between my mom and my dad.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there's a okay, so there's a mattress on the floor next to the bed where your dad sleeps. And then it's not on the floor, where is it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's so we don't even have like a bed bed. It's just like a frame. I don't know if you know what I'm talking about, but it's a metal frame. So we just put the mattress on that. So we're all we're all on the same height.
Speaker 1: So you put so you I'm still I'm gonna get this floor planned, right. So you so you have basically you push two beds together, is what I'm hearing.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: You have two you have a queen sized bed and another and a queen size mattress. You have there's two beds, a mattress on a bed frame is a bed. So you have two beds pushed together, and on one bed your dad sleeps, and then in the and then in the middle you sleep in the middle of your mom and your dad.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, Okay.
Speaker 1: I'm curious. So first, first of all, uh, actually I have a lot of questions about this ahead, why do you Why do you sleep in the middle of your parents instead of if your dad's there. I understand that, yeah, that you're doing what you do. I understand that you're sleeping with your mom to help her out, which I think is very is very noble of you to do. But why are you can your dad not help?
Speaker 2: Okay? So my dad he basically works like a very early morning job, so he makes up like at four am, so and my mom obviously doesn't.
Speaker 1: So that's why, Okay, do you does your mom need help so much that you need to sleep in the bed with her?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you not able to like be in like room?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 2: Even to be honest, it's it's not even that, Like, I don't know. I'm just I'm ever since i've been a kid, as I said, in South Asian family, we do just I always slept with my parents, and then when I grew up gradually, I guess I don't know why, But I mean I have siblings that have their own rooms, but I don't have a room, so I just kind of sleep with my mom. That's all.
Speaker 1: Now your siblings do they are they all in they have the same room, they each have their own room in the same house as you and your and your parents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we have a three bed apartment. I have two older brothers. They're like in their twenties as well, but they're like late twenties. I literally just learned twenty like a month ago, and I'm still I don't have my own room yet. I guess we just have three rooms only in this apartment. So my older siblings at their own room and I'm sharing the room with my mom and my dad.
Speaker 1: Do you leave, Like, okay, let me ask you this. So, so it sounds it sounds as though it would be okay your mom. You it would be okay if you were not sleeping in the same bed as your mom in terms of your need to help her. But it's just what you.
Speaker 2: Could get done.
Speaker 1: So I'm not I'm not like, I'm not. I'm just trying to understand situations. But it sounds like it sounds like it is not necessary to help your mom to sleep in the bed with her, but you do it because it's what you've always done.
Speaker 2: I guess. So most like nine of the time, Yeah, but there are, as I said, some days where her schizophrenia will like spike. I guess some like specific things trigger her, so then I will have to sleep with her.
Speaker 1: Okay, but mostly you are right, So let's get into this. Okay. Now, now that I understand the situation, how do you how do you personally feel about the situation?
Speaker 2: So, I mean, I honestly don't even think about her negatively because it's not, as I said, it's not really in a weird way. I like, because I said, my mom schizophrenia. So I have a very I guess special relationship with her and I love her to death basically, So I guess this is one of the ways that I can show my appreciation for her, that every night I'm there for her, you know, in case something triggers her.
Speaker 1: Okay mmmm, and you're you're twenty right, yeah, okay, No, no, no, no, no, no, I'm not. I don't say that, but I don't say I swear to God, I mean, I don't. I don't say that with judgment.
Speaker 2: I just don't, but I do. I don't blame you. It is kind of weird that.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, I'm not. I'm making no judges about it. But I want to understand. Do you do you do you go to do you go to school? Do you work?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's totally before. I'm doing an internship actually at the at the local public school where I fixed kids chromeebooks, and I go to college full time.
Speaker 1: Oh right, right, you totally. You told me all that, and we talked about the port due.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a normal guy outside of this.
Speaker 1: I'm not. I'm not I'm not saying that you're I'm not saying you're okay. So clearly, okay, so clearly, clearly, clearly, and again I'm not saying anything about I'm not here. I'm not saying, oh this is weird, this is fucked up, whatever, but clearly you you seem to be self conscious that it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Of course, as as I told you, this was literally the first time ever this has ever come out of my mouth. It's always only been thought, Okay.
Speaker 1: Do you do you have do you have like friends?
Speaker 2: Of course, dude, I have I don't know, I have college friends, I have work friends, high school friends that I still talk to.
Speaker 1: And you you've you this, You've kind of kept this a secret from all of them.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, yep, why are you I don't know, we never when we just never I guess it never comes up the topic of like where we live and whatever.
Speaker 1: I don't know that's true because I guess my I guess my sleeping arrangements also don't really come up in conversation that much with my friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. And even I did, to be honest, I wouldn't I wouldn't share that.
Speaker 4: M hm.
Speaker 1: Hmm. Okay, So why tell me why you feel compelled or what made you want to come on here and talk about it?
Speaker 2: So, I mean recently, so at this college INMNT, they offer free counseling, which is pretty amazing, and I've recently started it. So in my culture, counseling isn't even really like believe in or therapy, whatever you want to call it. So I recently started that, just I don't know when, because I saw I was threading and it was on campus, and after that, I was been thinking about my life, like as myself individually, and I realized, just upon reflection, how weird this is. And I was like, I'm not gonna let this be, you know, unknown to put it out there, because it just feels crean to to say it out loud. I guess.
Speaker 1: So that's an interesting thing. That you're touching goon Like culturally, where you come from and what you understand is very like communal, family oriented, and it's kind of been that way your whole life. And now you're examining your life as an individual and you know how you feel about things. What you want is that? Is that accurate?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Exactly.
Speaker 1: So in examining yourself as an individual, what what have you observed? What what have you come up with?
Speaker 2: So my life is just really interesting, man, I don't know, it's it's really weird because I was like kind when I immigrated to the US, and now I'm tony, so I'm a gorant here, like I guess at a really critical point, you know, so I don't even understand. Like half my life is kind of, as I said, just cultural, and then half is like I don't know that it's complicated. But I'm talking to a real therapist about that.
Speaker 1: Tell tell them, well, tell me about immigrating here.
Speaker 2: Uh well, so I was ten, I literally, So that's the three part is I was never really taught English, like formally in Pakistan, but I used to play like counter Strike online and I would I literally just learned English from the video game. If that makes any sense. Yeah, So when I came here, I was able to talk to people man, just by playing using my computer and stuff in English.
Speaker 4: And I know I've talked to a lot of people who they've they've learned English from playing online video games, so you know, all of them know how to tell you in perfect English that they fucked your mom.
Speaker 2: Exactly. That that is where it starts.
Speaker 1: I interrupted.
Speaker 2: You keep going, Oh, yeah, So I was in the fourth grade when I came here. I think they placed me a grade down even though my age was like ten. But whatever. So I came here in fourth grade, went through all the high school, middle school, you know whatever. It was weird. I didn't really have There's not really a lot of other Pakistani people where I live, so it was kind of weird. You know. I just felt like I was trying to sit in and whatever. But now that I'm in college, there are other Pakistani people that I am relating with and just blending in with the regular American people as well. So it's been a journey. But overall, I will say I'm so grateful for event because, as everybody knows, Pakistan is not really you know, the best place to.
Speaker 1: Live are you friends now with a lot of other people from Pakistan.
Speaker 2: Uh, well, I mean in America. Yeah. It's funny because sometimes because when I was in fourth grade in Pakistan, I had like a Facebook and ship. So I'll like look at my Facebook and see what my old fourth grade taxisan your friends are doing now?
Speaker 1: Interesting? Okay, So how does how does life in America for you and and like for your American friends compare to what you see on Facebook from your Pakistani friends?
Speaker 2: Oh dude, So the one big big thing is in Pakistan, dude. So you know, in Muslim countries, like women and men are like kind of separated. So in Pakistan, dude, you can hug a guy, you go, children shoulder down the street with them. In America, I've noticed that, like guys aren't like that clothes. But I know that's one thing.
Speaker 1: Wait, okay, so so because so I so in Pakistan, are you not, like, you know, are you allowed to like hold hands with your you.
Speaker 2: Will straight up, yeah they do. It's not that you're allowed if they do. Wait, is it sounds weird? Because oh they are allowed. You know, kids hold hands, Guys hold hands while they walk down the street, Guys have hands around each other's neck while they walk down the street. That's like culture. It's weird because Muslim countries they like hate gay stuff and whatever, you know, but it's I don't I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Huh wait, So so what I'm hearing is that is that the Muslim countries hate gay stuff, but they love a good romance.
Speaker 2: Exactly. That is exactly. That's that's one thing good I really noticed the lack of in America. It's hard to get, you know, like like FROs.
Speaker 1: Very very interesting to hear that. So people in in in Pakistan are a lot more touchy feely and and and openly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like when I was in fourth grade, dude, I would have my friend group, you know, we would be all touchy touchy Okay, I don't want to say an he was.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. Hmmm. So so wait, so you're allowed. So it's cool to walk down the street in Pakistan holding hands with another man as long as you guys aren't fucking.
Speaker 2: If you would have if you would have as an American, of course that's gonna sound weird, but I'm telling you that is okay.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, do you think that, like, well, we kind of touched on on on this a little bit when we were talking about, like, you know, maybe the reasoning why you you're sleeping in your mom's bed of like the culturally. Culturally there's a stronger emphasis on on community and family and togetherness maybe than there is here in the United States, and so that's why there's less of there's less romance here.
Speaker 2: Do exactly hit the nail on the head.
Speaker 1: That's fascinating. Okay, anything else that you've you've noticed from observing your your your buddies on Facebook.
Speaker 2: Specifically my buddy's on Facebook, I've noticed that, uh, let's see, I mean it is I mean they're all graduated and stuff, and I've noticed that like in tagastand getting a job and stuff, it's it's like impossible unless you have connections and stuff. I've noticed that even though they're all graduated now, like they're the same age as me. Of course, so they've graduated high school and they're intelleges and stuff. So now while I'm in America and I can find internships and whatnot, dude, in Pakistan it's a it's a hellhole. Dude. It's kind of impossible to make it just through hard work. There, and I mean, I love my country or death then, but it's it's not fair.
Speaker 1: Mhm. So you really so it is true that there's like greater opportunity for you in America than in Pakistan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'd one hundred percent, like even though of course America has its own trouble is like, but I've noticed that it is still better than Pakistan, you know, exponentially.
Speaker 5: M hm.
Speaker 1: So your homies that are all like your age, now, what are they doing?
Speaker 2: Dude? They're sick, yes, trying to be a photographer. You know, they're in that phase. You know how people have that phase where they want to be a rapper or whatever. Yeah, Pakistan is really common to have as a phase where they want to be a photographer. Dude, go where Sun's glasses, to go out in the streets. You know?
Speaker 1: Is that a specific? Is this is that specific to Pakistan?
Speaker 2: Well? I don't. I don't think specific a Taksana specific bit of friends that I knew, I guess m hm hmm.
Speaker 1: What's your version of that? What do you uh want to be when you grow up?
Speaker 2: I I'll be honest, I don't even have like a big you know how people always say they want to be a millionaire or whatever. To be honest, I just want to live a regular life, dude. Like sometimes I'll think about it, and my ideal life is kind of graduating from college or working in it and like a local public school or something where it's like a government job so there's not really like pressure and just getting a house and why some kids, Dude, that's it, That's what I want.
Speaker 1: So going back to your discovery of your individual or or exploration of your individuality, do you do you desire to leave your mom's bed?
Speaker 2: It's this good situation I would say, no, dude, Like I love my mom and it's just and I just want to, like because because of her condition on whatever, I don't even know like what the average life and is for somebody of that kind. I just want to show her all the love I can and just that is one form of my love. Because of our schizophrenia, I can't really you know, show her my love. I guess through my work and whatever.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm mm hmm. What about your What about your dad? Does he snore?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm actually a pretty deep sleeper, I guess I don't do. My mom snores like crazy. I don't know, about my dad. I don't think he does because I'm crazy deep sleep where like I don't really notice, not too much, but I do know when I sometimes my mom is taking a nap. She's a crazy snor.
Speaker 1: What's your relationship like with your dad?
Speaker 2: Well, he's kind of like a regular Middle Eastern dad. You know, straight a's at school. You know he expects that, and you know, just the typical as in that he always, you know, goes home to work, as I said, super early, comes home late, only has like a couple of hours at home, and in that hour, you know, we're just talking about school. It's shit, it's not really deep, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Hmm. Are you out there trying to to date? It sounds like family is important to you. It sounds like you want a wife and kids one day. You dating.
Speaker 2: I mean, as that's something I've recently started thinking about, I guess, after thinking about myself as an individual. But in Pakistan, it's not, that's not an aspect of a culture. It's arranged marriage. Like you're not even allowed to date in Pakistani culture. You just I guess when you're like twenty five or something, you get arranged marriage and that's it.
Speaker 1: Well, now you're now now you're in the land of the free baby. Time to make a Tinder account. They're actually I actually, genuinely, genuinely I I and I don't know. I only know one side of this, but sometimes you'll be I I guarantee that if you started in your account after about a day, you'll be like, I should have went with the arranged marriage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the debating scene. I mean, I've just been looking at stuff on the internet, and yeah, it sounds pretty bad, really hard to get in the dating.
Speaker 1: Scene, is so, I mean, is the plan for there to like, is your plan for there to be some kind of arranged marriage.
Speaker 2: Or well, I mean for me? Okay, so my brothers they are in like the marriage kind of age right now, and my parents, I mean, my mom is kind of but my dad is trying to get them to an arrange marriage. For me though I haven't decided yet and I don't I don't know. I'll see after talking to my therapist and you know, kind of using my American and Pakistani tels, we'll see what I feel like.
Speaker 1: How does can you explain a little bit of how the arranged marriage process works?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: So, okay, So in Pakistan, dude, I'll be honest, Like cousin marriages and stuff, they're still pretty common. Now. My family is pretty liberal Pakistani, I guess you can say, so they're not really into that. So basically every family has that one auntie that you go to who has like all the connections with all the all the people, you know, like, hey, I'm trying to get my daughter made. If you know, somebody let me know. Hey, I'm trying to get my sun made. So everybody goes to that one person and they're like arranged marriage, I don't know, hero whatever you want to say, and they kind of hook you up.
Speaker 1: What's your personal view on arranged marriage? Because I don't know, I'm thinking about it. And again this is a total outsider opinion, but like after you know, you know, after paying for for tender premium, you know, you're you're kind of like part of you does think like you knows as like you know, with all the with all the infinite cons that could come with with arranged marriage, there is the big pro of like, well, that's a giant quest in life that I don't have to think about anymore. You know, it's a giant challenge to navigate your romantic sexual life, and so maybe there is something appealing about having someone just fucking up and decide it for you. So I want to hear your your kind of personal opinion on it.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, as I sayd dude, I'm kind of the same way as you. Like if I'm just kind of living my life like with me and that's it. I'm not really looking out for anything. But if it's like during college, if something comes up and you know, the relationship, the dating scene gets serious, you know, I might hop into it. But if not, you know, I always have that backup, you know, the peaceful mind, you know the arrange folks. I mean, then I will do have the arrange marriage options.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me that you're one just really bad day away from being like fuck it, Like that's always in your bad public, it's always in your back pocket, Like you'll give it, You'll give day to try, and if it doesn't work out, you'll go to your auntie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, well the reason. But as I said, I'm not really going out for dating. It's like I'm just me and if somebody comes up in my life where I'm like, okay, this could get a romantic because then I'll go into it. It's not like I'm speaking in my current state.
Speaker 1: Sure sure, sure sure? Did you ever have you, like have a girlfriend in high school or or or a crush.
Speaker 5: Or That's one of the like things, uh that I've always thought about and thinking like should I have?
Speaker 2: But I've never. I've never. The only thing is that, in like middle school, a girl asked me out and I just kind of rejected her kindly. I was like, oh, no, you're cute, but I just don't want to date. And that was pretty much it. In high school that they really came up.
Speaker 1: M hmm. What about what about career wise? What do you what do you hope for?
Speaker 2: So? I mean I started off like looking and working at the local grocery store or whatever during high school and now I'm in college, so I got an internship and I see, as you said, I mean, as I said before h and after graduating, dude, as I said, I just want to kind of get a government job or something of that sort where I can just like do a tenure there for like twenty thirty years.
Speaker 1: Do you think you'll ever go back to Pakistan? Like I assume not to live But you know, just to say, of course, I've.
Speaker 2: Been there a couple of times. I was just there like two years ago. Dude, my family is still It's not like uh so my family like just my immediate family, my brother's and mom. We moved here as a whole, but like my arrest of the family is still in Pakistan.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 2: We go there like every couple of years.
Speaker 1: Would you reckon? I? You know, I I have this dream of like doing my little gecko interviews. I do, you know, in addition to the phone call stuff I do like on the street interviews and stuff.
Speaker 2: And I watch all your stuff.
Speaker 1: Come on, Oh hell yeah, Okay, So how would you like, do you think I should go to Pakistan to do it? How how do you think that would go over?
Speaker 2: I do I think you should? If you go, though, I would recommend uh. I mean, Pakistan is a pretty good English speaking country, but I would recommend you go to like the college campus or something there. You'll find like a bunch of you know, young people from because Pakistan is weird, dude, Like some parts are super conservative and they're still into like cousin marriages and all that stuff. And in some parts of like we're liberated. So I'll go to a college campus. You'll be safe, dude, and you'll have a bunch of you know, like a wide spectrum of people with you, and they'll all speak English, probably because they're going to college campus.
Speaker 1: What's the other what's the other major language spoken there?
Speaker 2: It's Urzu. So it's basically like Pakistan and India were one, like like one hundred years ago or whatever, and now so order is basically the same language as Hindy. But in fact, Senate's uzum.
Speaker 1: Okay, if I ever go there, all right, if I ever go there, I might hit you up. I actually got a DM, I was. I don't know how many I don't know how many people in Pakistan listen to this show, but I got a DM once from somebody saying, Hey, I live in Pakistan, let me know if you ever want to come and I'll show you around. And I was. I wasn't in a position to just to just like, you know, I was like in the middle of touring or whatever, so I wasn't in a position to just like, yeah, say fucking and go. But I'm getting into a point where I can kind of do stuff like that, and so I might I might say fucking and go.
Speaker 2: Who knows, dude, you gotta go. It's like, screw all the gecko and whatever. Do it's just an amazing visit.
Speaker 1: Of course, yeah, of course all.
Speaker 2: The food is bombed. It's a spicy though, so.
Speaker 1: Okay, you might see it being a gecko in Pakistan video. I like to do. I'll do, like if I take a trip like that, I'll do I'll do half lyle half gecko time. But enough about me and my stupid life. I want to know this before we go. What is your like? So you you have these two older brothers, Yeah, do they think and feel similarly to you? On? On on, you know the stuff that we've been talking about.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest, bro, Like they're kind of busy, like in their own life. They have their own full time job. I don't really have like deep conversations with any of my immediate family, like, I'll be honest, m So, I'm not even They just have full time jobs. They come home and sleep.
Speaker 1: Do you do you wish that you did have deeper conversations with them?
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't know, I'll be I don't know, mm hmm. It is it is just kind of weird because like, uh like when cleaning, like we're all in one house and everybody's a grown adult, and because everybody's been like babied into being a grown adults, like they don't even like clean up after their own message and whatever, So it's just a wild wild word.
Speaker 1: Who's cleaning up around the house.
Speaker 2: Dude, it's me because my mom has as he can't, my dad has a full time job, my brothers have a full time job.
Speaker 1: And you know, so you're but don't you but you have a fucking full time job.
Speaker 2: Now I have a part time job, and I'm a student. And being a student in this culture, is this the look that as doing nothing? So you I'm the youngest in the house, so I'm just kind of automatically expected to brush.
Speaker 1: So you're twenty, you're you're working a part time job, you're a student, you're sort of you're taking care of your mom, and you're cleaning up after everyone in the house. Basically, goddamn man.
Speaker 2: Well, hey, as I said, though, it's miles better than anything I would have lived in Pakistan.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 1: Deep respect, deep respect. What I mean, what is like if you didn't have all these crazy responsibilities, Like what would you like if you were to take some time for yourself, what would it even look like? What would you do?
Speaker 2: Dude? I don't even have like that any I guess hobbies or shit like I just play video games on my PC. And as I said of my gold in life is too just kind of h be steady, like I don't even want to do anything like I just want to, you know, get a nine to five job when I come home from work, play video games and then go to sleep.
Speaker 1: Are you happy with life right now?
Speaker 2: Right now, dude, I'm super happy. It's just such a privilege to to go to college and to have an internship. Just oh man, it's amazing. It's a privilege to drive a car, dude. Like in Pakistan cars don't even nobody can afford one.
Speaker 1: It's a good it's a good perspective you're walking around with. Man, it really is. Well you know what, man, Look, I know I know you feel like I'm gonna tell you this a mint before we go. I know you feel some sense of I don't know if it's embarrassment or whatever about uh sleeping in your mom's bed. But but but look, but look that aside, you're taking care of four fucking people. Uh, and you're the youngest of them. You're you're working your ass off, cleaning porn, off of all these MacBooks, crumb books, whatever, you're you're studying. You're I mean, you're doing so much man, so like and you're happy and you're you're you're doing it all. You're doing it all also not you know, walking around every day being like, oh my love sucks is so looking horror, I have to do all this stuff. You're like grateful to do it all. I mean, you're you're a walking w man. So I hope you don't feel too I don't know if ashamed is the word, but whatever, I hope you. I hope you feel good about yourself and good about life because you're really doing it in a in a in an honest and noble way. And I have a lot of respect for that. And I appreciate you coming on here and and uh sharing this stuff because I know it was uh, you know, hard to do and that you haven't done it with anyone before. So you know, thanks man, And it was it was really good talking to you.
Speaker 2: It was really good talking to you too. And just dude, I love your stuff. I watch you every day on my car ride to college. I mean, not watched, but listen. So it's been a pleasure of being on here man.
Speaker 1: So anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we.
Speaker 2: Go, Uh, just the supportive of everybody.
Speaker 1: I don't know, beautiful, take care.
Speaker 2: Maud all right, thank you, get bye.
Speaker 1: Damn. I love talking to that guy. That was cool. Very interesting perspective, man, very interesting perspective. I don't know if I have anything to say in these post call thoughts that I didn't already say, but uh, it's very cool to me that he's he's juggling all these things in his life with like no resentment at all. Right, Like that's that is the crazy part to me, because I mean, I I hate doing anything. I complain all the time about having to do anything, and and specifically this like the other I had. I drove an hour somewhere the other day and I was like so pissed off and like I was stuck in traffic and I was upset. I was like, I hate driving, I hate having the drive. Driving sucks. I fucking hate this car. I just was like pissed off and stewing, and then I'm talking to this guy who's like, you know, the total opposite, like oh my like in bliss, like, oh my god, it's such a privilege to be able to drive, you know, and like that that that is is an interesting perspective. I liked that guy's perspective on everything, and you know, even though he was again I don't know if ashamed is the word. I don't want to put emotions in this guy's mouth, but he felt he felt the type of way about talking to people about the fact that he sleeps in his mom's bed. But on the same coin, when I asked him about it, his personal feelings about it, uh were that it's not weird that he actually wanted to do it because he doesn't know how much time he'll have left with his mom. None of us know how much time we'll have left with the people that we care about in our lives, and so it was something that he was happy about and he felt good about, even if you know, other people might look at it a different way. So I don't know. I thought that guy was awesome. I loved talking to him, and I'm gonna try to do it. I'm gonna try to go to Pakistan and talk to people, if you while I'm here while people are listening. If you live because this is something I want to do a lot more of in the future. If you live in like an interesting place. I've gotten dms from a guy who actually a guy on the podcast who lived in Kuwait. If you live in you know, I don't know, I'm gonna try to go to Vietnam. I'm gonna try to go to Thailand. If you live in Alaska. If you live in like a place that's not the United States or Europe or Australia or Canada, because I've kind of covered those places, you know, South America or or or Africa or anywhere in Asia, and you I think it would be a cool place to go interview people. Let me know, send me a DM. I'm on the hunt for more cool experiences like that, So hit me up on Instagram at Lyle the number four ever and I'll try to check those dms. But thank you, Ahmad, appreciate it, and gek bless you. This guy better pick up If we're gonna have a serious problem, He's not gonna pick up.
Speaker 3: What's up, Lyle?
Speaker 1: Oh shit, what's up?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 2: That's good?
Speaker 3: Bro?
Speaker 2: How are you.
Speaker 1: I'm doing good. What's your name?
Speaker 3: My name is James.
Speaker 1: James. It says here that you're a neuroscientist that studies cannabis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I do have to preference this with I work in research, so there's some stuff I cannot talk about. However, Yeah, it's it's pretty interesting stuff. A lot of.
Speaker 1: People it's I mean, from the tone of your voice, it sounds like you do a lot of first hand research.
Speaker 3: I am actually completely sober right now.
Speaker 1: That was a really I said that in a very I said that like fucking Bill Maher or something. I feel embarrassed about.
Speaker 3: Me. But I know you've been I know you've been smoking recently on your streams that you smoke tonight. I'm not watching.
Speaker 1: No, I haven't and I didn't smoke tonight, And I don't know where you are hold on. Where did you get any of this information that you're saying right now?
Speaker 3: Oh, you've been smoking on streams? You started talking about it. I just listened to the podcast, like religiously.
Speaker 1: When wait, when did I talk about When did I talk about smoking on the stream?
Speaker 3: Oh there was someone that you were you said something about you were getting a little too therapisty and you are also kind of high. I forget who it was. It was one of your recent streams.
Speaker 1: I did say that I did that and I was kind of high, and you're right, and I'm being defensive right now and I'm not high right now. Here's my thing is. I'll tell you this for I've been doing this stream since June of twenty twenty. That's like over, it's over three years, pretty crazy for like, And in those three years, I maybe the first three years, I maybe had been high on a live stream one or two times, and I fucking hated it. It was really bad. I felt perceived. I felt like I couldn't just like cause just talk to rant and talk and not be thinking so much about the words that are coming out of your mouth and how they're being perceived and whatnot. You can't be high because being high makes you paranoid, or at least for me, it does. And so I never did it. And then there was a time, I want to say, a month or two ago, where I just for I don't know, for whatever reason. I think maybe I was really stressed leading up to a stream, and I was like, let me give this a try. It'll maybe it'll mellow me out. And I had a nice stream and so but I also thought to myself, I'm like, I do not want to make this a habit, you know, because that that can only I don't think that's a good habit to have. So now, you know, like like this is what I sort of have been doing a little bit. Is like I'll stream for my normal two hours and then maybe I'll take a little rip of a pen and the whatever comes after that as a total bonus. So like, you know, let me get in a couple sover and that's like maybe once a week. You know, I streamed two to three times a week, and maybe for one of those streams, after having done two hours, I'll take a little bit. But I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm not.
Speaker 1: I don't want people to think I'm high all the time on my stream. You know. That's why I didn't. That's why I made. I made. I made the mistake of bringing Actually I'm not gonna say it was a mistake. I don't take it back. I said that I was high to that guy, but I didn't want I didn't, I hadn't. I was I was gonna not say anything because I didn't want people to think I was high all the time. But I also don't like to lie, you know, so I would just be honest. I don't think there's anything wrong with being high a lot. But that's why I wanted to talk to you, is because that's wrong. There's probably a lot that's wrong with being high all the time, and you would know the answer to those questions. So please, is it? Am I gonna How long do I have to live? That's what I'm That's what I'm really asking.
Speaker 3: I mean, I listened to your podcast religiously. You could die in the next five seconds. I mean, we don't fucking know. Like, no, I'm high right now.
Speaker 1: I just hit my Okay, you fucking I asked you if you were high right now, and you said you were sober. You're lying.
Speaker 3: While you were on that rant about how you don't get high. I got my tin out of my room and just smoked.
Speaker 1: Nice. That's sick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, But yeah, so so neuroscience research. So I actually was at the Silence Show and I wanted to get on on stage to talk and it, uh, it might not be exactly about this, but yeah, so like doing research with cannabis. I actually started it out at my college in North Carolina, and we worked with HIV. And you don't normally put HIV in cannabis together, right, I don't know. I didn't at first with you what like HIV and cannabis, like using cannabis to help HIV patients.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I thought you were talking about injecting HIV into cannabis.
Speaker 3: Not exactly. However, we did kind of inject mice with HIV. That ship was kind of fucked up, But you've got the high basically, right, Yeah, extremely hot. That's what I do at work every day, and that's what I actually can't talk about.
Speaker 2: Come under Ina and ship.
Speaker 3: But yeah, no, I basically just inject mice with wheat. That's my daily job. I listened to your podcast a lot doing that. So you have been listened to while injecting mice with h with not HIV with THHC. So I hope that makes you feel great.
Speaker 1: Do you do you inject them with HIV or does somebody else do that? And then you come in and you're like good uncle, You're like the cool and the other person.
Speaker 3: Is complicated, complicated like topic, but it's actually through the food that they ingest. It changes gene like codes and stuff. But yeah, no, I'm the good uncle. I'm not the dick. I take care of like get them highest ship and make sure that they are so you feed.
Speaker 1: Them like an AIDS hamburger and they get HIV.
Speaker 3: Literally, Yeah, it's basically like a pizza pizza AIDS like hamburger mash up type thing.
Speaker 1: That's fucked up.
Speaker 3: That's crazy, Yeah it is, But we don't actually do that ourselves in the lab. We get that like from from the actual place where like the mice come from. But anyway, that's not anything that really matters I work with.
Speaker 1: Interesting, let me, I have a couple more questions about it. So if I ate this AIDS burger that you give to these mice, would I get HIV?
Speaker 3: Though? No, because of the genetic code however, and this is actually one of the fucked up things my mentor asked me. But instead of doing that, you actually just come infertile. But it doesn't change your gene code to the point where you get HIV, but you if you eat it, you just come become sterile. Like yeah, so not the best. Yeah, I mean, I actually don't know that science. I'm not gonna act like I do. I'm gonna be I'm gonna be like you and actually admit that I don't know something.
Speaker 1: Isn't it kind of crazy that there's a whole like we're such apex predators that we've decided it's totally cool to just round up another animal and give it HIV.
Speaker 3: Dude, it is so fucked I mean yeah, and for for research purposes too, and then you just like give it something that's illegal and like the majority of the states and then arrest people for that too. But let's neither here there. It's just fucked up. We're we're super super weird if you actually think about it. But I don't like to think about it because then I start thinking about like everything else. I'm also higher shit now, so you are always gonna like overthink.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I wanted to talk about this because yeah, so I I'm a I'm a daily pot smoker. Not every time I'm on the podcast. Now, people are gonna think I'm high all the time. I'm not high all the time. I mean I'm not higher.
Speaker 3: I mean I know I'm not high all.
Speaker 1: The time when I am recording this podcast.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 1: I've recorded two hundred and fifty something episodes of this podcast. I've maybe been high for one of them.
Speaker 3: All right, I've listened to every single one of them.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's crazy, that's graaz okay anyway, But I get high every day and I don't even I don't think about it anymore. So like I don't think about is this bad for me? Am I gonna, you know, when I'm forty, Am I gonna not know my dad's name anymore? Like? What what is it? Actually? What is it doing? Am I fucked?
Speaker 3: No, You're not fucked at all. I mean I'm a daily I'm a daily user as well. Yeah, I'm a daily user. No, you're not gonna be fucked or anything. And I actually don't do human science, and the science that everybody does can't actually translate to humans. So I don't have a true answer for you, even though I do study it, but just from what I have seen, because I also looked at it, because I mean, I smoke a lot, and it's there's nothing that's gonna negatively impact you unless you are getting to the point where you have chs where you're like throwing up when you smoke, and you if you don't have if you if you're not doing that, you don't have it. Some people have mentioned it throughout the podcast, but so CHS is really what will stop? Make you stop? And then if you ever have any start, like type of psychosis or anything, obviously stop. But like it's basically just like cracking your joints. Like if you crack your joints and it starts to hurt, stop, you're gonna get arthritis. But it's not actually gonna cause it so in reference, and I can't really tell you if you're gonna be fine or not because I don't fucking know that. I don't know you. I just listened to you on a phone, right, But like for the majority of people, and I'll put you in that category, you'll be perfectly fine. It's legal for a reason, it shouldn't be illegal in some states. And so that type of thing makes people feel like you won't know your fucking dad's name when you're fifty years old, but like you're gonna be completely fine. There's people have been doing it for way longer than you have, And I mean, you got to think about it. We're the most like sober generation that's ever been around. We could literally smoke an opium matter of like fucking pipes. Like we're perfectly fine hitting a little pin like every day. It's not that big of a deal. But like anyway, you'll be fine. It's not a big deal.
Speaker 1: You know what. I'm gonna record every single podcast from this episode moving forward completely stoned because you said that.
Speaker 3: Just now, I hope. So, yeah, that's great. I mean, your your content's pretty good.
Speaker 1: When you're fucking I'm not actually gonna do that. I'm just joking that at all.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's not a big deal.
Speaker 1: Well don't. I'm gonna be honest with you. I'm gonna be honest with you. I don't believe you entirely because I don't. There's I'm I have this little vape pen that's Cremberlay flavored, and you're not. You can't just inhale crembrewlay artificial flavoring into your lungs and get away scott free. There's no way. There's no consequences.
Speaker 3: To now now Lyle, now Lyle, you're just asking about THHC. I studied THHC. I study the actual effect of the cannabis. I don't study what is in your fucking Cranberlay eight pen. And I don't and honestly, I don't know. That's why I stay away from certain things. I see it in the lab and I know that it can be fucked up. But the actual thing that I was more so saying as the THHC. Of course you're probably building you're taking that shit in your lungs because it's adding to your mucus layer. You're gonna inhale it. That could be bad for you. But in terms of the THHG, where I actually specialize, there's no problems there. I mean, if you started smoking five bnths a day, obviously you're gonna start coughing more often because you're inhaling stuff for the pen, you're gonna have more of that. But to like, for my more focus is the HD and that's where you're gonna be okay, okay, all right.
Speaker 1: I guess that makes sense why people eat it instead of yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly ended up eating. It's a little different too, because it just changes. It changes how it develops in your just like entire system in your cannabinoid system with the receptors in your body. And that's why that's why there's more people that it's say it's stronger when you eat an edible, but it's because it just works in different ways. But oh, there is something I did want to tell you, if you don't mind.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, sure, all right.
Speaker 2: So I was.
Speaker 3: At your North Carolina Charlotte show right after so after you took down the prompts and like all that ship and I texted in afters I was scared. I was nervous to get up because I was high as fucked. I was nervous to talk to you. So I didn't send it in until you came out on stage, and I didn't realize that you uh or you wrote them down before the show and then came out to do them. Did you did you see any of the ones that were sent or do you just completely just like trash the rest of them?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I probably I probably saw your message at some point.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I wanted to tell you. So I am a behavioral neuroscientist. Okay, I wanted to tell you about one time I conditioned myself to get horny when I smelled microwavable pot pie in middle school. Conditioned myself absolutely fucking not. It was on accident. I was a little fat ass kid that loved those little whatever pot pies lit little green box whatever. They were delicious. I was a little fat child, and every time that I would make those in the microwave, I would beat my dick smelling the pop pies. And then I realized that it was a problem when someone in my family made a pop pie at one point and I smelled it, and I was instantly horny, and I.
Speaker 2: Had a problem.
Speaker 3: And I somehow took that experience and became a behavioralist neuroscientist.
Speaker 1: This is what inspired your entire career.
Speaker 3: Yes, because I was literally classically conditioned, and I was classically conditioned to get hard when I smelled microwavable pop pie. And then I looked into it and I was like, holy shit, And now I'm a neuroscientist.
Speaker 1: What kind of pot pie?
Speaker 3: What the fuck is? It's the green It's the great If you ate it when you were a kid, you want to know either the fucking green box pop pie. I don't know, it's chat, just cant know where the fuck it is. Uh, what would it be? I don't know. It was the it's like a woman's name. It's green box pot pie, fucking delicious. Probably probably the thing that kills.
Speaker 2: Me, not the THHD.
Speaker 1: And to this day, when you smell pop pie, do you still get hard?
Speaker 3: No, Because in classical conditioning, after a certain amount of time either getting hard and not smelling the stimulus of pot pie, you have extinction period where you where you lose that learning like ability, so you learn, you lose the stimulus, which in turn extincts the actual behavior itself. So I no longer get hard. And I tested too because I was honestly curious, and I no longer do it, So I'm not fucked up that fucked up anymore. I had to fix myself. I'm still flow fucked up.
Speaker 1: But you really are a scientist.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I thought it would be cool to talk to you about the thing you do all the time and tell you you're probably gonna die in the next couple of days. But who fucking knows?
Speaker 1: How did you? How did you decondition yourself from getting horny from these pies by not so.
Speaker 3: By getting horny without the smell of pop pie, which is the stimulus. So when you take away the stimulus, which is the smell of pop pies and repeatedly get horny for a X number of years, it slowly dwindles away. So when I stopped eating those pop pies and I said, hey, I'm actually gonna go for a run. I'm a fat fuck. I was like, all right, and I got a little bit better. And this is like when I was in middle school. So I stopped doing all that shit and I realized I probably need to eat a little healthier now. Almost fucking fat ass again, I mean, but.
Speaker 1: Whatever, it's cool. Look gets you.
Speaker 3: Home down listening to your streams. Yeah, I'm just sitting a fucking edge. Yeah no, I'm actually kidding. My girlfriend gives me pretty pretty alright.
Speaker 1: But what's your name again?
Speaker 3: My name is James.
Speaker 1: James. James is good talking to you about most of this stuff. Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to say I really like those lamps that you can fucking like change like the elis with your phone. I just think that they're really fucking cool because I just play with them like when I'm super high and just watch them change colors. That's it.
Speaker 1: Enjoy the rest of your life, man, and you'll be You even need many tell you to do that.
Speaker 3: Hey YouTube, bro, keep smoking. Maybe you'll die soon? What maybe later?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: One knows.
Speaker 2: Have a good life.
Speaker 1: Take care, Brody, Hey bye, get I think I want to go make myself a Piepcon.
Speaker 2: Goes on the line making your phone calls every night. The Beacon goes doing his eye.
Speaker 1: He's teaching you aloud in the mid of your life, but he's not really an expert.