Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington. Welcomes Mike Armstrong Marks twenty seventh through the twenty ninth. Then it's the Lexington debut of Lorie kil martin April third through the fifth, and catch rising comedy stars Sam tallon April eleventh and twelfth. Comedy Off Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area thirty eight years later. Call eight five ninety two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Off Broadway, dot com.
Speaker 2: Comedy Off Bay.
Speaker 3: This is Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 4: Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 5: Welcome everyone.
Speaker 6: It is Kentucky Sports Radio, Tuesday, April the first. I'm Matt Jones here in New York City where it is a beautiful day after a rainy night. Ryan and Drew are in Lexington. And you can give Shavin Clark's Puppets up full line eight point nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven. A Vision Auto Glass text machine is seven seven two four five two five four In this audition sponsor a by.
Speaker 5: The t J Smith loves You. Call TJ he'll make them pay.
Speaker 6: Ryan Drew Shannon, It is a beautiful day, but I have to tell you this is one of my least favorite days of the year. As a matter of fact, it might be my least favorite day of the year because I cannot stand Ryan April Fool's Day.
Speaker 5: I've hated it when since I was a kid, and in the.
Speaker 6: Days of Twitter and news and tweets, I do not like April Fool's Day, and it is upon us right now.
Speaker 2: I love April Fool's Day, one of the greatest days of the year.
Speaker 5: Of course you do. I could see that. Why do you like it so much?
Speaker 2: I just like pulling little, little, sneaky little pranks on people. I've had some classic ones over the years.
Speaker 6: What do you mean you had some classic ones? Like and first of all, you can't call them classic. What is that them so classic?
Speaker 2: You know, at the TV station, you work till midnight. So I snuck into the sales department and stole all the wheels off the bottom of their shoes, so when they came in on the bottom of their chairs, so when they came in the next morning, they didn't have any wheels on their chairs.
Speaker 5: That's not an April Fool's joke.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's a great April Fools joke.
Speaker 6: That's not an April Do you not understand what an April fool's joke is. April fool's joke is not just doing things diabolical to people. It's making them believe one thing and then the other is true. How was what you did in April Fool's joke?
Speaker 2: I think it falls under the April fool's umbrella, you know. I think it's a prank stree.
Speaker 5: I don't think that's it. That's just a jerk thing to do.
Speaker 6: Is it's like deflating people's tires and then saying April fools.
Speaker 2: Haha.
Speaker 7: I'm glad you didn't ask me before, Ryan, Ryan, don't take offense to this, but I was gonna say, April Fool's Day is when people who aren't funny think they're funny.
Speaker 5: That's exactly right. You are one hundred percent correct, Drew. I hate April fools, Shanon, what about you?
Speaker 3: I don't believe what anybody says any other day of the year, so why would I believe them on April Fools?
Speaker 4: So I never fall for these. It's hard to get me on these.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, Tiger the one I saw this morning, Drew is Tiger Woods say, I've had like four weeks of treatment and now my achilles is good. I'm playing in the Masters. And then it's just like April fools. Well, why was that April fools? Like I felt sorry for you that you hurt your I actually think that was a terrible job, Drew, April fools, isn't it?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 7: Did anyone laugh? I didn't laugh, or like, there's not even a joke. And in the sports world it's like, you know, so and so signs with the school for fifty million dollars. Okay, that's not funny, and no one believes that. Like it's gotten so predictable.
Speaker 5: I could get over yours ride. That's not a joke.
Speaker 6: That's just like hurting people just taking the wheels off their chairs, like did they fall.
Speaker 2: And they sit in their chair and they try to scoot up and it doesn't move. It's just there's nothing but hysterical laugh.
Speaker 7: And you did this to people that are working on all the newsroom.
Speaker 2: Hey, I here's another one. I did One time I called one of the local radio stations here when I was a channel eighteen, called one of the local radio stations here in Lexington and told them that Luke wukosh orb Zoo was going back to Poland, leaving the team going back to Poland after the season. They fell for it, completely fell for it.
Speaker 5: So you gave basically fake news to people I did.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I think that's at least what April News is or April Fools is supposed to be.
Speaker 5: But Drew, I.
Speaker 6: Don't think news. Do you think news people like Ryan should participate in it?
Speaker 5: You had him back in Poland?
Speaker 2: Yeah, look to leave the t go back on. Matter of fact, it was the lap that it was this station that I called in.
Speaker 7: Love Simon and his voice for April Fool's Day.
Speaker 6: Were they mad that you had given them essentially false news to put on the air.
Speaker 2: Well, by the end of the conversation, I said, wait a minute, what is today? And then they hung up on me. So, you know, I let it go on for about fifteen twenty thirty seconds.
Speaker 6: You are, I'm just gonna let it go if I'm nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven, Drew. I told Shannon this during the break, I had one of the more uncomfortable Uh, things that I've ever done, and I think this could happen to you. Okay, So I'm staying in a part of town that I look across the street, Drew, and there's a comedy club across the street, all right, And so I thought, well, there's a comedy club across the street. I why don't I just go tonight?
Speaker 5: Right? Like they have a show.
Speaker 6: Let me just walk over there. And do you know who the comedian Mark Normand is?
Speaker 5: Yeah? You know who he is? Right?
Speaker 6: So he has a thing on he has like something he does once a week called the Good Eggs Show, which I guess is Shannon. It's just people that he likes. He puts them all on a show together, all right. So you know they said sometimes he's there, sometimes he's not.
Speaker 5: So I thought, well, I'll just walk over there.
Speaker 6: And the first hint should have been when I got online Drew and the tickets were twelve dollars.
Speaker 5: Okay, because that's a pretty.
Speaker 6: Cheap amount of money, but I thought, you know they do this to drink minimum.
Speaker 5: Whatever.
Speaker 6: I walk over there, I get my ticket, I walk in, Shannon, there are.
Speaker 5: Nine people there n nine people, and.
Speaker 6: The first dude speaking is Drew we've talked about every time we go to New York, who do we always see.
Speaker 5: On stage at the at the comedy places.
Speaker 7: Uh, I see David Shall at Judah Friedlander.
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 6: He's there, But Shennon, there's only nine people, like there's there's that.
Speaker 5: We've never had a KSR remote with.
Speaker 6: Only nine people, Like, there's nine people, And let me tell you the epitome of awkward. Sitting in a room with nine people when a comedian's trying to do a show, like it.
Speaker 5: Couldn't be more awkward.
Speaker 6: You feel like he's just talking to you, like he's not doing a show, he's just talking to you. And because there's only nine people, I think he feels awkward, Drew, and so he feels like he has to like talk to you each individually. And I didn't want to talk to him. I was in a hoodie, i'd been outside, I was raining. After four minutes, I just got up and left. I couldn't stay there. It was so awkward. No, I'm serious. I waited until he was done, Like he was the guy, I don't know what you call it, that will like come on and then you'll introduce everybody else, you know what?
Speaker 5: I mean. So I waited till he.
Speaker 6: Had gone, and he introduced the first person and I just walked out Drew and I decided it was too awkward for me.
Speaker 5: There were too few people. It was.
Speaker 6: It was an event where I thought, you need more than nine people to tell jokes or I can't stay in here any longer.
Speaker 7: I've been in a small setting for comedy show and you feel an obligation to laugh. You have to force it because there's uncomfortable eye contact. You know, you kind of got to carry the crowd for him, and if it's just not working, well, it's terribly uncomfortable.
Speaker 5: Just think how much.
Speaker 3: Power, how much power you had in that moment when you left, ten percent of the crowd left was gone.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I couldn't stay for exactly Like Drew said, I felt like I had to laugh at all the chokes because he was looking me right in the eye, and there were two women that They also put me in a table with two strangers this whole huge room.
Speaker 6: They made me sit right next to two strangers, and I didn't. I felt like I had an obligation to laugh and I couldn't do it.
Speaker 5: I could not sit there and fake laugh. I've seen you to Friedlander five times at these comedy clubs.
Speaker 6: And then they brought out they were about to bring on another person, and Shannon I was like.
Speaker 5: I can't do this. This is too much work.
Speaker 6: This was supposed to be fun, and now I feel like I'm performing for him.
Speaker 3: I know I'm in the minority when I say this, but I love awkward situations.
Speaker 4: So I I want to just.
Speaker 3: Deadpans stared him, stared into his soul and not laugh one time, just to make it even more.
Speaker 5: I know I could totally see you doing that. I could totally you would like you would take pride.
Speaker 4: Yeah, laughing exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I couldn't do it.
Speaker 6: So I just came home and I and he got my Mark Norman got my fifteen bucks.
Speaker 5: But I saw Ryan.
Speaker 6: There were six comedians on the bill and there was fifteen bucks and there were only nine people. So I mean that means what did they do?
Speaker 5: The math?
Speaker 6: Fifteen pup bucks, nine people, it's one hundred thirty five dollars they took in split six ways. I mean, those people were making twenty bucks to be there.
Speaker 2: It's made me awkward and uncomfortable hearing you talk about it.
Speaker 6: I'll I can't ever go back. No, I mean, I guess it's Monday at seven o'clock, Drew. I shouldn't have thought it was gonna be packed, but I certainly thought there'd be more people than nine.
Speaker 5: At the thing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you know, I'm not someone that even when I think something's funny, I'm not really expressing I do. I'm not a big, laugh out loud guy. I like to blend in the back of a quiet crowd. I would have been so uncomfortable in a tiny grow knowing they're looking at me for a reaction. I probably would have left with you.
Speaker 6: Well, I was out and that was that, and I came home to uh, you know, lots of lots of portal chatter which I want to get to. But we did this conversation yesterday. Ryan of a guy called in and said, what's your your final grade on the season?
Speaker 5: And are you pleased or are you not?
Speaker 6: And and you know, I've said a couple of times that I thought for me the grade was an A. This guy said a bea, which led to all day kind of me getting messages on the text machine about grades on the year.
Speaker 5: And it seems like to me most of our fans are happy about how the year went.
Speaker 6: But I have no there has been a little group of people going, Matt, aren't we lowering our standards in saying that a team that I think in the end had what twelve losses and a sweet sixteen, that that's an a Now, I think you have to look at the circumstances of all that's happened to come to that. But do you give any credibility to the argument that the caller had and then people had after that, You know, you can't get to the point. I mean Tubby basically was called ten loss Tubby and kind of run off for losing double digit games. You agree or disagree with that point.
Speaker 2: I disagree really, I think you have to consider all the factors and the factors about the no staff and no roster when he first got here. In the fact he took this tag bunch of guys and still were able to have these huge wins throughout the season. I think the wins far exceed the couple of bad losses they had. You know, losing a Arkansas home was bad. They finished the season with a thud lose to Tennessee and the NCA Tournament was kind of bad, but I think the big wins far overshadow that.
Speaker 6: And you know, we also have to think have to consider Drew how hard the conference was, right, I mean, if we were in the ACC, let's just say we played Louisville schedule, what's our record in conference? We were ten and eight in conference? What are we if we're in the ACC this year? Are we fifteen and three, fourteen and four, sixteen and two?
Speaker 5: Like, I mean, some of it has to be.
Speaker 6: We played in arguably the hardest conference ever in college basketball.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's a big part of the fan base that just says, this is Kentucky. We're supposed to be the goal standard. We're supposed to win every year. But you have to look at the circumstances. Even like the twenty fifteen team that ran the table. If you go back and look at Ken Palm and the SEC teams year, the league was terrible. Now, that team was awesome in itself, but the competition has just changed so much from year to year to where now the SEC was, as we know, fourteen teams in the tournament. Then you throw in the injuries that you've had to go through. At some point, you can't just keep saying this is Kentucky. You have to look at what's happened in front of you. And if you have a depleted roster and you're in the best conference of all time, there's gonna be a little bit of a dip. Now, you can be upset about losing to Georgia and losing to Texas. I'm completely with you on that, but you can't just keep saying this is Kentucky, we're number one every year. Because things change. You got to look at the big picture.
Speaker 6: Do you, Shannon, you're the most cynical of the group, Do you have any sympathy to the argument of, well, it's a be just because we can't say the Sweet sixteen is enough.
Speaker 4: No, it's a dumb argument.
Speaker 3: First of all, if Kentucky were in the ACC, they would have had one loss they went to and one against the top three teams in the ACC this season. So I mean, I look at Okay, let's just compare to John Calli Perry's first year.
Speaker 4: His first year here, he went to the Elite eight.
Speaker 3: Mark Pope was one went away from doing that with a team full of far less talented guys than what CALIBERI had in his first year.
Speaker 6: If Mark Pope had what, did we have five first round draft picks on that team? I think yeah, his first year, Yeah he had five first round draft picks.
Speaker 5: This team will have no first.
Speaker 3: So considering what Pope did with what he had, giving him a bee is just it's not even an argument.
Speaker 5: To me.
Speaker 4: It's a soliday. I don't think there's any argument for that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't really either, but I do think there is a and some of this is just the modern like whatever position somebody has, there are people who want to take the opposite just to argue. But you know, I guess he could have won a couple more games. But I mean, you look at that roster, especially after Jackson Robinson goes out a Sweet sixteen with that roster, to me, is not only performing to your seed. It might be overperforming because I'm not sure we're a three seed if Jackson Robinson's out.
Speaker 5: The whole year.
Speaker 6: So to be able to do that, I think he deserves a lot of credit, and I think most fans give it to him. But it is interesting to me that there's this little sort of and and and part of it's the anxiety about the portal, which we'll talk about uh, in a minute. If I'm nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven, You're not gonna pull an April Fool's joke, are you.
Speaker 5: Ryan? At some point during the show.
Speaker 2: I'm contemplating I'm going one with him, So I'm worried.
Speaker 7: I'm looking at my chair seeing what's going on.
Speaker 6: I believe you literally thought that was a joke, just taking the wheels off people's chair.
Speaker 5: Did you say, April fools? When they fell to the ground.
Speaker 2: They didn't follow the ground, They just couldn't scoot their chair over the carpet.
Speaker 5: And so when they said what happened, what did did you just go, April fools?
Speaker 2: April fools? Funny?
Speaker 5: Funny?
Speaker 4: Did you walk out a bucket of wheels.
Speaker 5: On the chair?
Speaker 2: Next year, I took a roll of tape and taped up their doorknobs. They couldn't open the door to get in their office.
Speaker 7: A lot of people laugh at that.
Speaker 5: None of this, none of this is in April.
Speaker 4: Fools, just torturing people.
Speaker 6: Just those are not April Fool's jokes in any sense of the word.
Speaker 7: And this is third shift in a newsroom, doesn't Maybe they needed the wheels their chairs and to get into their.
Speaker 2: You know, haha, funny funny they got them back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it seems hilarious.
Speaker 6: If I'm nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven, we will take a break.
Speaker 5: Be right back to Kazark. Welcome back into is Kentucky sports radio.
Speaker 6: People are she talking about pranks they've pulled and asking whether or not it's April Fools. This woman says she went on Facebook and she told everyone to text her husband and tell them they wanted to buy Lamas from him, even though he doesn't own Lamas, and he got five hundred text messages from people about Lamas.
Speaker 5: Now, does that sound like an April Fool's joke?
Speaker 4: It's a prank. I don't know that it's a joke, though, Yeah.
Speaker 6: It is a prank. I kind of agree. I don't know if it's an April Fool's joke. I feel like April Fools is I tell you something drew that an act like it's true, but it's not.
Speaker 5: That's April Fools.
Speaker 6: I think just pulling a prank is not, in and of itself April Fools.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I guess, yeah, you're not. Really, you're fooling all the people that emailed the husband.
Speaker 6: But no, they were in on it. They were just they were part like they were doing it as part of the Yeah. The uh he the victim there. It's more of just pranking him than April fooling him as I interpret the holiday. Yes, one person writes it sounds like to me Ryan uses April Fools as a chance to just be a jerk.
Speaker 2: I think it's a free pass today to break.
Speaker 7: Your your your April Fools prank didn't go very well.
Speaker 2: All the the wheels off the chairs. I got a call from the chief engineer at my house and like he said, look, you got like five seconds to fix this right now. So I got I got into a little trouble.
Speaker 6: I can understand why like that. It's not you can't do like someone could have gotten hurt.
Speaker 2: Uh No, they just couldn't scoot him as long as he got to laugh at it.
Speaker 6: He's just Ryan thinks he could just walk behind somebody, smack him in the face and go April Fools.
Speaker 7: Dennis the Menace over here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 6: Also, by the way, Drew six years ago today, John Caliperi announced he would stay at Kentucky with a lifetime contract and that he quote didn't want to coach any other school.
Speaker 5: Ever, What do you think about that?
Speaker 4: That's an April fol joke, got us.
Speaker 7: That's how you do it, Ryan, That's exactly right.
Speaker 5: That was the John Calipery long play. That's exactly right.
Speaker 6: He's like, you know what, in five years this will all payoff trail.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but there was April first, twenty nineteen when he announced I will be going nowhere else and I will finish my career at.
Speaker 2: Kentucky's which goes to got Bede by Kansas State, and UCLA was flirting with him. Is that when all that happened?
Speaker 6: I think that's when that happened. And in hindsight, we've talked about this honestly, Ryan, that's.
Speaker 5: When he should have left.
Speaker 6: Yes, I think if he left then, but I mean, Mitch could not have let him go.
Speaker 5: Mitch would have taken a lot of heat.
Speaker 6: So I understand why they did that lifetime, but it would have been best for all parties if he.
Speaker 5: Left them, don't you think like I?
Speaker 6: In hindsight, that was the moment that would have been the perfect time for him to exit.
Speaker 2: Mitch Barnhardt had to keep him here. You couldn't let he had to for UCLA, you.
Speaker 6: Could, but if your Cow wouldn't that have been the right time for cal to go like it would have I think people would have. You know, It's like George Costanza says, you want to leave him, want more Drew, And that was the moment that I think he could have done that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, looking back, I'm I think I was even for the lifetime contract in the moment because at that time Cow was still Cal here and winning a bunch of games. I don't think anyone saw the way it would tank. But now that we know what we know, horrible, horrible decision. It's just a great April Fool's Day, prink.
Speaker 3: He should have definitely if he left. Saint Peter's doesn't happen, Oakland doesn't happen.
Speaker 4: Not in six.
Speaker 5: Covides, COVID doesn't happen. We don't even have COVID.
Speaker 7: Exactly exactly the tournament families, it's exactly right, COVID goes away.
Speaker 6: Everyone wrote me after the show yesterday and said, the last five minutes of the show became the price is right? Yeah, what happened there? Because I don't know what they're talking.
Speaker 3: Look, I understand that everybody looked at me as suspect number one, but I wasn't even watching the Prices right. Somehow happened in the Lexington studio where they had I guess the board on the TV because there was severe weather the night before. They were testing something and somebody forgot to turn that off during the break and instead of hearing us, you heard the last you heard the showcase showdown and the Price is Right? I see they were giving away a really good vacation package too.
Speaker 6: So they they skipped the last segment and it just played the Price is Right over the radio.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yep, we had a good segment too.
Speaker 5: And so what about the podcast? Is it the Price is Right?
Speaker 4: No, no, it's it's what we.
Speaker 5: Only in Lexington, only in Lexington.
Speaker 6: So people listening to our show in the last ten minutes just heard the Price is Right.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep. Wow, there's some kind of funny about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So so they had just left it on the TV from the night before the emergency.
Speaker 3: Way right, Yeah, they were testing it during the break and I, you know, I asked you figure out.
Speaker 6: I couldn't figure out how in the world would the Price is Right beyond the rail radio is it.
Speaker 2: Still try When you heard it, didn't you immediately think Shannon was watching prices right in the studio and somehow mixed a button up and came out.
Speaker 5: I mean I didn't know about it.
Speaker 6: I just I was sitting at the airport and just take got message after message of why is the price is right on? And I thought I did assume it was Shannon that didn't but uh, but I didn't know. Maybe I thought it was April fools. Who's who's up first?
Speaker 4: Let's go to Sean.
Speaker 5: Sean, go ahead, Sean.
Speaker 10: Hey, guys doing I'm doing good the first time long time Kentucky as because the first thing at worked this morning, slipping through you know Twitter, uh say not take our way was in the portal and I was like, I know it's say for fools Day, Yeah that you believe?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I would have been suspect. Let me say this about Otega away when it comes to portal. There are schools that have like had their people talk to his people. There are schools that are offering him insane amounts of money, like in school at least one school in conference trying to get him to come. I do not think he will leave. I think I think part of what so when we look at the portal part, one of the things we have to recognize is when you're looking at the money Kentucky spends, they're gonna have to spend money to keep otaga Oway here. So when you see like a school sign a random person and you see again, I don't believe any of these numbers, but let's say that it says they signed a guy and gave him three million dollars.
Speaker 5: A lot of those schools.
Speaker 6: Don't have to do what Kentucky does, which is they're gonna have to pay a big chunk of money to keep one of their own guys. You know, Louisville for instance. I don't think they have to do that, but we do, so I do. I don't expect the take away to go anywhere, but I do think it's important for people to recognize that some of our in Aisle budget is going to be used to just keep these guys here that we already have.
Speaker 10: Right, and I have a aprilfol so I'm pretty sure it was on aprilfuls me and my wife was expect and baby. Well, the nurse that brought us back didn't ask anything at all about me. She just themed I was bad. So she does all this stuff wow the opening, and then she looks at me and she's like, congratulations bad and I thought that. I was like, ma'am, I'm not the dad, I'm a brother. She turns fishy different, shaved a lot like I'm so sorry, and I said, ma'am, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 5: Oh you played that okay.
Speaker 6: I didn't know where that was going. I thought there. I thought that could go a lot of different ways. I got you, okay, So then you acted like you were that all right, that's an April fool's joke, although I thought that story was going to go in a different direction. Thank you very much. I appreciate the call. We'll take a break, be right back.
Speaker 5: Talk some portal its KSR.
Speaker 7: TJ Smith personal injury attorney call TJ. He'll make them pay.
Speaker 3: Now more of Kentucky Sports Radio present it by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 4: Here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 6: Welcome back Tucky Sports Radio. This segment sponsored by the KSR Bowling League. Yes, starting April twenty third, that's the week I get back seven o'clock Wednesday nights. KSR Bowling League. Twelve weeks. You can have a mixed league of four person teams.
Speaker 5: Sign up.
Speaker 6: You can even if you have to miss a couple of nights. It's okay. Unlike some of the years past. You can kind of mix and match seven hundred dollars or seven thousand dollars cash prize. That's a lot different than seven hundred dollars. Details and sign ups all right, KSR Bowling dot com And if you sign up for all twelve weeks you get fifty bucks up bit fifty bucks off KSR.
Speaker 5: Bowling dot com. We all gonna play in it.
Speaker 6: I've arranged some very special guests, including some folks that like, when you consider what is it twenty five dollars to play like, it's a pretty.
Speaker 5: Good deal when you consider some of the people that are gonna be there.
Speaker 6: So, Ryan, I know you've always enjoyed this. Are you looking forward to getting back to the lanes.
Speaker 2: It's actually a lot of fun. I mean the group of we've had a lot a lot of regulars that have been there since the first bowling league and it's just kind of fun and it just kind of get a neat thing to do on Wednesday night in the summer, man go out and bowl for a little bit.
Speaker 7: I was out can Saturday night watching basketball and a guy came up to me and he'd already signed up and was excited to get to bowling. So there's a buzz around town about it.
Speaker 6: KSR Bowling dot com. The first was Wednesday, April twenty third. I will be there.
Speaker 5: We'll even see if we can get Shannon to drive.
Speaker 6: That would be amazing if Shannon drives there, because you know he doesn't like to get out of his house. But KSR Bowling dot Com. Let's talk a little portal stuff. And by the way, it's at the Collins Southland Lanes. Let's talk a little bit about the portal. First, Bryce Hopkins Drew gets in and he's going to Saint John's. So Bryce, who played for col is now gonna go play for Rick. I was trying to think. I don't think there's ever been anyone that played for Cal and Rick all the stories he will be able to tell.
Speaker 5: Are you pulling for Bryce at Saint John's.
Speaker 7: I'm pulling for him to write a book when his career is over. But yeah, I'll root for him a little bit. I liked Bryce when he was here. I definitely wish you'd played more. I remember him having a big game and Cal said it's time to start playing Bryce, and then I'm not sure he played again. So he was injured the last two seasons, didn't play much. So I'm glad he's getting another chance, fresh start because I've always liked him and rooted for him except the one time he played Kentucky.
Speaker 6: Got a lot of interactions with Kentucky obviously played here. Remember then we played him Ryan in the NCAA tournament. And now he's gonna play for Rick. You gotta wonder what is Cal think of a cow guy going to Rick. I think that would be literally I would love to talk to him when that's over and see what he has to say comparing the guys.
Speaker 2: That would be kind of interesting to have him on comparing. But I saw the picture of him and when he transferred, man, he is a grown ass man. Now he's a big, strong looking dude. I'd like to have him back here.
Speaker 3: Actually he was a big dude when he got into college. But I think Rick will get us full potential out of him.
Speaker 4: You know he hasn't. I think he's a lot better than what he has played and what we've.
Speaker 6: Seen well, he was good for Providence till he got hurt, Like he was, he was playing pretty well for them that first year, and then he got hurt. And now big Z is back in the portal that got a ton of news he's leaving Arkansas.
Speaker 5: Let's start with this leave us side.
Speaker 6: Whether I think most Kentucky fans would say if Mark Pope were to want him, everybody would welcome him back. But let's just say you were the coach. I'll start with you, Drew, and then just go around, would you want big Z next year? Let's even say that we're an option. I kind of think it's not an option. Remember, he was probably the one yelling at our fans the most when they were here. Cal had to like pull him away from the court after it was over. He when he left yesterday put on Instagram, wou pig suey. But let's just say he wanted to come, Would you want Zu?
Speaker 7: I would have the conversation. He wouldn't be high on my list. Actually, this current situation, I think they need to get tougher and a little better defensively inside. But I would if he were really really interested. Just if I'm Mark Pope and the style bigs he plays. I think it would work, So I would hear him out, but he wouldn't get my biggest bag. I would have other guys ahead of him, but I wouldn't rule him out, and I would certainly talk to him.
Speaker 2: Ryan, I'm kind of drue, I think, just the fact because he fits Pope's system, and that's when he left the first time. I thought, man, it'd be good if he could stay. He's kind of the guy that would maybe thrive and what Pope's trying to do offensively. So I think I definitely would have the conversation with him, but I wouldn't spend all my money on him, for sure.
Speaker 4: Shannon no time to move on. We've already had him here.
Speaker 3: I think he struggled a lot of the season with Arkansas, and there's sixteen hundred players in the portal. I think there's probably a lot more better talent, to be honest with you, out there than big Z.
Speaker 4: So I wouldn't move on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I mean, if Pope decided to take he might be like, that's fine. But I'm kind of with Shannon in the sense of I mean, he can't guard anybody, and we we can't have we gotta have dudes who could play some defense. And honestly, I thought Drew that Arkansas got better when they stopped playing him right when they went to a do as they're big. I think that's kind of when they went on their run. So for me, I think it'd be a no. I heard you on the pre show, Shannon, talking about do we consider z a cat? You know, I pretty much think anybody that plays here I consider to be a cat. I think, Shannon, you were taking the position they needed to or no, Billy was taking the position they needed to finish here right to be a cat.
Speaker 3: I think it was a caller that was saying that. I think if you were here for a year, then you're a cat. Once a cat, always a cat, is my opinion on that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's kind of my opinion too. But I mean, I did find it.
Speaker 6: Interesting he was Drew the most aggressive of the Wagner do Z.
Speaker 5: He was the one most.
Speaker 6: Aggressive in rup that night against our fans, which I thought was kind of odd because he actually got the best reaction from our fan base, but he didn't seem to like it as much as the rest of him.
Speaker 7: There's a video of him on his way to the back. Now, he was provoked by fans, but it got pretty heated at the same time. If you're Z, I mean Kentucky got you into the school in the middle of the semester, which I still don't know how they pulled that off. They were like, yeah, he's in class. Then he brought him across the pond and just threw him in a class. I mean, the fans put up a billboard for him to get him eligible. Of all people that should have had a little more gratitude towards Kentucky, but it'd be big Z of that group.
Speaker 5: But he was being booed and his teammates were being booed.
Speaker 6: So yeah, if Popward decided to do it, I'd be fine, but I kind of would be surprised.
Speaker 4: I think he would go maybe play with his brother in Illinois.
Speaker 6: Maybe maybe his brother brother played well against us. Would he hit four threes against us in that game?
Speaker 5: I mean, he kind of kept him in it. Who's next?
Speaker 2: Z played well against us at rub He had him probably his best game of the year that game.
Speaker 11: Edward Edward, go ahead, Edward, Hey, Matt, Hey, guys, how you doing good?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 11: So twos just a comment and a question really quick regarding Bryce Hopkins rooting for the guy now when he first left and he made those comments about the program, how cow was making him play like a robot, I kind of just despise the guy. My favorite moment of that season where we lost in the round of thirty two to Kansas State, was Jacob Toppins swatting his bunk off the backboard and then Antonio Reeves going down and hitting that three that kind of put us up like eight or nine, and then he was crying in Cal's arms after.
Speaker 8: It was a pretty sick image. I loved it, and that might be.
Speaker 11: Awful of me to say, but yeah, go be hop now. But wasn't a fan when he left. My question that if we all weigh in on, is on behalf of my brother who can't call in because he's got a quote unquote important job compared to me. I'm in sale, so he thinks what I do isn't real, which is totally fine.
Speaker 8: But so my question is as far as rival reason.
Speaker 11: When I say that for us, I mean Tennessee Duke qvel, I feel like they've lost their edge a little bit. Not pointing to the fans or anything in particular. But you know, we like Pat Kelcey. We think Cooper Flag is generational. We still feel hatred for Tennessee, but I'd love to get your thoughts on Like, No.
Speaker 6: I think they have taken it. I think the coaches have made it a little different. I mean, I appreciate to call Rick Barnes is not really hateable. Pat Kelsey's not really hateable. I still hate Duke. I don't know why your buddy acts like Cooper Flag is likable.
Speaker 5: I still am am rooting for him to slip in the final four.
Speaker 6: I think maybe part of it, Ryan is that Arkansas with Cal took a lot of the focus this year.
Speaker 5: The level stuff will kick up.
Speaker 6: I feel like when Kelsey starts winning, he'll start talking trash and but yeah, probably all those rivalries have tamed a little bit, but maybe the Arkansas when is what amped up instead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that seemed to be the main rivalry this year. For sure, it was Arkansas.
Speaker 4: But you're right about Louisville.
Speaker 2: We kind of like Pat Kelsey right now, but sooner or later something's gonna happen where he'll say something or do something and we'll be able to poke at him again for su.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean he's gonna put on his like youth XL pants and get upset at some point, and Drew, you know, like he's gonna say some he's I think he did an amazing job this year, winning that fan base over and all that, But I do think there's some trash talking arrogance in him that'll come out at some point, don't you, Drew.
Speaker 7: Yeah, But even when it does, it'll be corny. When we hated Liuleville at their peak of hatred, you know, they were actually bad guys. I mean they're doing stuff in restaurants. You had blowney heads, stealing money. Their players were unlikeable. Now, even when Pat Kelsey gets into that, it's still gonna be corny. Like yesterday, they have this new thing, I guess when they get a commit where he sends out the Pat signal and it's just him putting on his black rim sunglasses.
Speaker 5: What's it called the pet signal? Yeah, tweet that I didn't see that. What is that?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean there was no context. It's a video of him just pulling his glasses out of his pocket and putting him on, and the tweet said Pat signal I think it means they've gotten a commitment, but like the bat signal, But yeah, like that in itself, that's just it's a different level of villain. Now they're just corny, where before they're actual terrible human beings involved villain.
Speaker 4: Dork man.
Speaker 5: He's dork man, that's right, dork man. No, like past I liked him so far. He seems like a good dude.
Speaker 6: But let's wait till they're really good, or let's wait till they beat us once.
Speaker 5: Then I think it'll be different.
Speaker 6: Do you think Mark Pope is ever gonna be the kind of guy who gets into it with any coach ever, Like, I don't know if that'll happen.
Speaker 7: No, everyone's too beautiful and super special and extraordinary for him.
Speaker 5: To say beautiful.
Speaker 7: Did you hear last night?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're gonna talk.
Speaker 6: We're gonna talk a little bit later about what his comments were on the show, But he said he said at one point he was asked about the portal and he goes, it's beautiful special chaos, And I was like, that's one of the strangest explanations, beautiful special chaos.
Speaker 7: I have extraordinaries. In the first segment last night, he.
Speaker 6: Loves beautiful, he loves extraordinary. What else does he look? Yeah, he's always like super. He uses super a lot. He says super quite a bit. He loves those uh adjectives that really hit home. How some how great something is if I'm nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven. The women's basketball thing continues to sort of be a talking point. We'll get into it and some more right for this chaos art.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is Pope, right, yep, everything's beautiful.
Speaker 5: Everything's beautiful.
Speaker 6: There's a part of me though that MP's being able to live life like that shit right, Like, thing's beautiful. You know, you don't like you are like a cynical dark lord. You know in terms of how you look at things.
Speaker 5: Thank you wouldn't you? Would you like to be able to just look around and go, it's beautiful. The portal is.
Speaker 4: Beautiful, shine rainbows, and.
Speaker 5: Yes we have to that. That's what a bet.
Speaker 6: What's much better than to sit there and be like, oh, everything's miserable right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wish I had that outlook on life. That's great it is. I'm not mad at it.
Speaker 2: That's uh text machine, Pope said before in the Tennessee game. He used the word beautiful pressure. We have beautiful pressure.
Speaker 5: Even when pressure is beautiful, that would be great.
Speaker 6: What person writes Matt, I don't consider it's a text machine seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. No one that leaves Kentucky is a cat. They chose to leave. Yeah, I think you're gonna have to change that view if you. I mean, is Kyle Wilcher a cat? Like he won a national championship here, we're gonna act like he's not. He seems to still love this play. I don't think you can. I don't think you can have Ryan that view in twenty twenty five. I mean you can have it, but I think you're gonna be disappointed a lot if you do well.
Speaker 2: I guess that the test is what we just saw z dj Ado. They all went to Arkansas to play for col Are they cow guys at Arkansas or do we consider him a cat?
Speaker 6: I think they're both. They're cow guys in a cat. They played here, but they played here for cal. I don't think those things for me are mutually exclusive, although they might be for some people like Ryan. I do want to go back to you for this because the Cassie row thing. I am amazed how many people are like genuinely upset about this. I think it's mostly, honestly an Eastern Kentucky thing, specifically a north eastern Kentucky thing. People who are from like fifteenth sixteenth region maybe watched her play when she was growing up.
Speaker 5: But there's a lot of people upset.
Speaker 6: I think her dad went and Drew did an unfiltered interview yesterday and in so doing kind of stirred the pot a little bit more on it. You know, I gave my opinion yesterday, which was basically, you know, we don't know everything, and I'm hesitant to be outraised when I don't know everything. And it's also the modern business of college basketball. But do you think this is gonna stick? Or is this just like season's over, we don't have anything else to talk about. I mean, I hear the women's basketball team may get a big transfer commit today, So I wonder, you know, maybe after that happens, people look at things differently. But do you do you think this is gonna stick with Kenny for a little while.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I'm afraid of. I'm afraid, you know, he did such a good job of getting our fan base for women's basketball super excited about what they did this year. The product on the court was so good that Memorial Cosseum was sold out. Fans love coming to the game. My fear is that this is called a little cause, a little fracture in the fan base. That may be hard to get those people back, just the ones that are on Cassidy side.
Speaker 5: But do you really like one statement?
Speaker 6: But haven't we seen over the years, if you win, everybody gets over everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he goes to the final four, that's gonna probably.
Speaker 6: I feel like if you lose, then people will bring this up as a thing to criticize. But if you win, Drew, doesn't everybody just get over everything at some point?
Speaker 7: I think so. As long as he goes out and gets a good portal class and carries that into next year, I think everyone will move on from this. Now. If he goes and signs three people and there's just four empty chairs on the bench, it might linger a little bit, but I think he's he's got a plan or he wouldn't have done it, and he's gonna add a lot of pieces that'll be helpful and at the end of the day, that's his job to make sure he's putting the best Russ.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean you can. I think, Shannon, you can have both of these views equally. View number one, it does stink for the kid. If she wanted to play and was and wanted to have her senior year, it stinks for her, and I could see why she and her dad would be upset.
Speaker 5: I get that.
Speaker 6: You can also take the view of this is modern college basketball, and we are upset because she's from Kentucky. If because we every coach has done this to players from other schools all the time. And we also don't know the specifics of the conversation. I think that's important. Did he say you can't be on the team? Did he say I suggest you transfer? I mean, I don't know, Shannon, Like I don't know exactly what was said, and Kenny's probably gonna not say anything. I wouldn't think, or at least he won't, so so I don't know, Shannon. I I have mixed emotions on it, but I am surprised how many people are very upset about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're right, it's all in the details. We weren't in the office when they had those conversations. What makes it more confusing for me is, you know, in that first round of the NCAA tournament when they were playing Liberty, Kenny Brooks brought Cassidy Row in to try to, you know, hold off Liberty, like she played a significant role on this team. The confusing part for me is how do you not find a roster spot for that person? But at the end of the day, his job is to put together the best roster and the best team that he can and if he thinks that she shouldn't be a part of it, then that's his decision.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean this is back to if you don't like these kinds of things, that's why you need contracts where both sides can't you know, I mean both sides can't sort of stop the other one like you you admitted to each other. That's why I think Jay bills suggestion of employment contracts is really the best thing to do going forward. Who's up next, Jacob, Jacob, Go ahead, Jacob.
Speaker 8: I met I actually caught in to talk about the whole Casierro situation. You know, for me, it comes down to is Kenny the right person for the job? And I think it's one hundred percent.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 8: I think that what he did for the team this year he deserves an A plus. He brought them back from obscurity. I think the quickest way to get them back to obscurity would be to try to drive away Kenny Brooks. I think that I just have to trust that this is a decision that we might not understand, but it's the decision that he made that he thought was best and he just got to trust his leadership. That's to my take on it.
Speaker 6: I appreciate the call and for the most part agree, right. I mean, I think it was Bill Belichick baby that said, if you're gonna ask me to make you know, to make the meal, I gotta buy the groceries. Right. I do wonder if there's a part of that with this, like if you're gonna ask me to do it, then you know, then you gotta let me pick the players, right. I think that might be part of it.
Speaker 2: Well, there's no doubt we understand his motive to try to get the best roster possible to try to win a championship and go to the final four. That makes perfect sense. But like we talked about, you got fifteen scholarships starting next year, this girl's gonna.
Speaker 6: Be So it seems like it bothers you, like it seems like you are more you are of this show. I think the most bothered by it. In thirty seconds, articulate why.
Speaker 2: I think it's just because when she was the one that stuck around and kind of held everybody together when the coaching change.
Speaker 5: But do you know that she held everybody together?
Speaker 6: Like I mean, you say that a lot, but is it like like Georgia was the leader of that.
Speaker 2: Team, Cassidy was the one though that was to carry over from the only one to carry out from the old old regime, and she was able to like bring help bond that bridge, so to speak with everybody else.
Speaker 3: I just want to throw in that I bought a lot of mills that I didn't cook and they were all good for the most part.
Speaker 6: I just I've never cooked Ombia, so you know, but I'm learning, I'm learning and I get it.
Speaker 5: Well, it's interesting. We'll see. I think this will still be a topic going forward.
Speaker 6: We'll take a break, come back talk about Pope's comments yesterday.
Speaker 5: It's KOSR