Speaker 1: Speaks to the planet.
Speaker 2: I go by the name of Charlamagne Tha God and guess what, I can't wait to see y'all at the third annual Black Effect Podcast Festival. That's right, We're coming back to Atlanta, Georgia, Saturday, April twenty six at Poeman Yards and it's hosted by none other than Decisions, Decisions Man, DyB and Weezy. Okay, we got the R and B Money podcast. We're taking Jay Valentine. We got the Women of All Podcasts with Saray Jake Roberts, we got Good Mom's Bad Choices. Carrie Champion will be there with her next sports podcast, and the Trap Nerds podcast with more to be announced. And of course it's bigger than podcasts. We're bringing the Black Effect marketplace with black owned businesses plus the food truck court to keep you fed while you visit us.
Speaker 1: All right, listen, you don't want to miss this.
Speaker 2: Tap in and grab your tickets now at Black Effect dot Com Flash Podcast Festival.
Speaker 3: Watch up and welcome back to another episode of No Sinners Podcast with your hosts now fuck that with your load glasses.
Speaker 1: Malone from locks.
Speaker 4: Oh Mine doesn't have a lock and they would have locked Then I got locked in and I had a call and be like, yeah, guys, I'm in three oh four and I'm you locked me in?
Speaker 5: Well why are you in there? Eh?
Speaker 6: Got tired?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you think that's the true source to economics though? Like, like micro managing budgets? What do you mean, Like, is that the true source that like as some black people like to say financial freedom, I don't really like that term, but you feel like that's the true source to financial freedom is micro managing money.
Speaker 4: It's just understanding what you have to what it takes, and what your best path is to get to that point. You have to understand what it's going to require in passive income and how your path to creating that level of passive income occurs.
Speaker 5: It can be however you want it to be.
Speaker 1: So it's more about passive income.
Speaker 4: Yeah, financial freedom is the freedom to make money with free time. So if you need if your budget is I need eight thousand dollars a month to do whatever I want, then your literacy is just understanding what it takes to have a low entropy, predictable eight thousand dollars a month stream, whether that's working a bazillion jobs and saving your money or working one and being really a student investor and getting good returns to a point where you can divest them out or whatever it might be.
Speaker 5: There's a different ways to skin a cat.
Speaker 4: You's got to know what kind of cat do you want and where do they sell those cats?
Speaker 1: Is that really something worthy of pursuing though, Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's basically what most everybody does for retirement. Some people just want to start the clock earlier.
Speaker 3: M It's funny because this is such an interesting commas about how it's an interesting segue to get to the conversation how of what I wanted to talk about right, which King was asking me and I almost lost my train of thought. But so there's two type of medias that we say hip hop media, right, So again it's street urban culture. So there's people within the culture and then there's people that's outside of the culture. Now the hip hop media or street urban the artistic.
Speaker 1: Merit of it.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of it outside of the culture now, like it's a lot of people who didn't grow up in street urban culture.
Speaker 6: Are they trying to mimic the street urban culture? Are they just looking at it? No, they're just covering it. Okay, covering it.
Speaker 3: Right, But then again, it's like no different than a like a guy that never played basketball or didn't study basketball, or the closest they came was watching games, right, And I don't think there's nothing wrong with that. It's gonna sound crazy, and I think my homeboys get it confused that I think.
Speaker 1: I have a problem with that. Like I don't have a problem with Steven A.
Speaker 3: Smith, Well steph Ate Smith actually played organized ball, he just didn't look like he was that good. But let's say like a DJ Flad or let's say like a like a like Adam twenty two.
Speaker 1: I don't have a problem with them covering I'm not one of the.
Speaker 3: Few brothers that's like, oh you know what, they're not from it like, but there are certain things that bother me about the conversation Pete. It's like true, like right now, like I saw a tweet from Academics where he was saying he like he was giving advice or what he thought should have happened with big Baby, like right now that he's like in this case, it's like, oh, well, you know, why do these guys and even some of my homeboys, even a d and pun like if we're in the group chat, it's like, you know, these guys get on here talking about crime. They're only hired because they're criminals or gangsters and crips. Like Adam twenty two. Can go get a journalist that went to college that has a skill set trade in journalism, right, But his platform is not about journalistic you know, like professional journalism. It's a professional platform, but it's all about three urban cultural perspectives. And I always applaud that he understands that better than people with that grew up with it as a as a as as a part of how we live. They have a different value for it. Vlad Adam act Blocko. All the people that didn't grow up and the people that grew up in it don't see the value in it, right.
Speaker 1: And I always put.
Speaker 3: A lot of pressure on my homeboys, you know what I mean about understanding what your task is. What see they don't have the burden of responsibility, and that's what people get mad at. They like, well wait a minute, you cover it. You should be responsible, you know what I mean? For the people in it, that's not what they do. But the problem is when you're from it, now there's a burning and I don't know if that's fair, Like, I don't know now seeing it out loud, am I being unfair putting that responsibility on them?
Speaker 5: The responsibility would be on the other people.
Speaker 4: If you're a gangster and you go on their show to be interviewed, the burnen responsibilities on you.
Speaker 1: That's what I just said.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I mean, and I think to get a perspective on anything, like let's say crime, for example, just off my own personal observational experience, you don't get a truly complete picture asking a criminal about crime.
Speaker 5: You probably need to get three people.
Speaker 4: You need to ask a criminal, a police officer, and a neutral party.
Speaker 5: What's funny to get a holistic perspective.
Speaker 3: What's funny is when we design gangster chronicles. That's how I that was my idea, Right, a criminal, a criminologist, and a person who saves crime. So that's somebody who commits crime, somebody who studies crime.
Speaker 1: Is somebody who solves crime. That was the idea.
Speaker 3: That's why Reggie, James and Alex were the three people that it'll been that perspective of crime. But don't look at it that way. So street urban culture is a little more unique than just crime. Right, it's a culture.
Speaker 5: That I.
Speaker 1: Got you.
Speaker 6: I got you.
Speaker 3: But you know how certain vegetations grow or certain insects developed when they're around volcanoes. Yeah, it can be a snail, but it's a specific type of snail because of the environment. You know it when it grows up on a volcano. Like I was looking at this really dope snail. I'll tell you right now, why are you doing I got a question, go ahead now.
Speaker 6: Is because of the way the media shows it as like you said, add on them, guys, versus the way that the culture shows it. What you mean, shows hip hop in the culture, Like you said, the people inside the culture, you know, don't know the value. But the people, you know, like you gave examples of hacking them guys, see the value of the culture even though they're not in it. Is it all the way that it's shown.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that that's true in this space, and that's true in anything. Like if you were to take somebody from like a really poor environment, urban or rural whatever and take them to Beverly Hills, they're gonna be oh my god, I sound like a Ferrari and everybody there's like, well, well you got to get to the grocery store. You know, they wouldn't give it a second thought. So it's kind of can play both ways in that regard to if you're if you're but no something.
Speaker 3: Ironically, I don't think you get played both ways, like like for some reason, because there are more There are more Beverly Hills than there are ghettos.
Speaker 1: Weirdly, mmm, that's true.
Speaker 6: Mentally, maybe I think I think.
Speaker 4: I disagree in media space, that's probably true. I don't think that that's true by any of.
Speaker 6: The neighborhoods that feel their Beverly Hills and really not that.
Speaker 3: But that's the point of it, right, wouldn't that be the point of it. There's more suburban areas than there are Okay, I said, yeah, I agree with that. So even in the upper scale area like Beverly Hills, you know, if you go to Beverly Hills, it's not quite the movies, just like when you go to the community, it's not quite. If that was the case, people would just go shoot their videos in Beverly Hills.
Speaker 1: They of them do not, really, there's very few.
Speaker 6: When they get arrested.
Speaker 1: I mean, for sure they gonna get they pulled.
Speaker 4: Up in the Hollywood Hills or whatever the hell and they shoot their videos up and all that ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's my point, like there would be there's really no reason for people to come specifically to the ghetto.
Speaker 1: At all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 6: Outside the media's presence because they produce, they produced, like the ghettos the place to go be.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's me, that's what I'm saying that, that's what I'm telling you and Pete, Like, there's really no reason for people to go to the ghettos at all if.
Speaker 1: You're not from there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's true.
Speaker 1: I agree. I mean, but again, it's.
Speaker 5: Like that's why I used to get pulled over when I was there.
Speaker 1: Like what are you doing here? Bro? Yeah?
Speaker 4: All right, where's the drugs and hookers? I'm like, that's what I'm trying to figure out.
Speaker 1: No seilings g L my brother Peter and the house player, Pete.
Speaker 3: I got my big brother King over here getting into this crazy thought.
Speaker 1: Head over to www.
Speaker 3: Dot the cryptstore dot com, t H G C R I P S t O R E dot com and grab something so King could got a quarter commercial. King can fulfill the order on time fast. Yeah, I was thinking about that. But the burden of it's like you're saying, right, It's like that's the burden of it, right. I didn't blame Vlad when he sits down, when he sits down with somebody that comes from this perspective life right like this this environment, I don't blame him. If they say something that incriminates themselves, I don't blame Adam for it. I keep telling people that they understand the appeal of us better than we do. Even the people that exist in the space that do cover that type of content, they don't really appreciate the space, but they understand its value, right because they name their shows in specific correlations to said community.
Speaker 1: Right, they name it.
Speaker 3: That way, like let's say, people that's within the space that cover you know, that's like a hip hop media the community. They spell it cuz on purpose. Back on fig they big is a community thing. Back on fig to even use that title fig. White people don't call figaroa fig. I mean unless you peek. But the average person that's figure out the street big is a A is a cultural Inuindo. It's a nickname for that specific street and it means something more than where the Staple Center at the Staple Center is not on fig The Staple Center is on FIGAROA.
Speaker 1: The Hoover Criminal Gang is on fig The whole Strow is on fig but allegedly yeah, but is on FIGAROA.
Speaker 4: Well, looking at his show, you say, you know, guys go on there and they self incriminate or whatever. A lot of them were doing that anyway, that that's kind of how they got on the show.
Speaker 5: There's no shortage of people that go.
Speaker 4: On social media trying to blast off for status about what they've been doing on there. And probably to some degree, I don't go through everybody. A lot of those people gateway their exposure from their own social media platforms. People see them, they get some virality. Next thing you know, they're on a podcast and they're on another show and whatever else. So like they kind of started that on their own time, and we're selected because they were doing that and because of the provocative nature that it attracts an audience.
Speaker 3: But let's be honest, like they wouldn't have the jobs without it, oh Adam and them, No, no, not Adam, the people doing the jobs like like a brig baby or oh ad Like the reason Adam would hire an ad Or t Rail is not because he's trying to do a good favor for brothers from the streets, which that does come with it, but I'm saying it's also because he understands the street curbon, the street urban culturals thing.
Speaker 6: So basically Adam's just buying an interpreter. Oh Adam the bridge between him and the streets. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: He's jail. I know.
Speaker 4: But instead of bringing on guests who star in movies and TV shows, because that's the theme of his entertainment show, his theme is street crime type of thing.
Speaker 5: So he brings on people like that, but.
Speaker 1: He keeps the same once basically on no.
Speaker 3: So, but he hires them because they provide a cultural avenue opens up the perspective. Not it doesn't open up the culture to him because he can't just still go walk down fig even though he hired he hired uh t Rail or he can't go walk down Avalon because or Central because he hired you know what you said, he could get the view of it. He understands what he's selling. Whack under Whack, I just realized something. Whack is a civilian and he's been a civilian. He been had that, he been built this multi million dollar trucking business. He ain't committing no fucking crimes, you know what I'm saying. So it's like everybody I watched to sit down with, I didn't watch it. Forgive me, that's a lie. I'll be telling them a lie because I don't want people to ask him questions. I didn't watch it, but I saw a picture.
Speaker 1: It was it was Lore in England. It was Actvlad Whack.
Speaker 3: And somebody else, right, and it was all these people, and I realized, like, oh, none of these people really are into that thing, and they're giving you this very kind of I mean somebody who don't have the true information, you know what I mean, They really only have it from this limited scope. And I was thinking about the people within the culture and how they're operating about the same subject.
Speaker 1: It was really different. But then like I watched people like I watched.
Speaker 3: Act condemn him, and I'm like, well, he was like, oh man, but brick Baby probably shouldn't have been talking about what he was doing. I'm like, well, the only reason he got the job is because he is from six to Oh, the only reason Fox Extra's got the job is because he's from Folti's the only reason people get that job is because they're from the culture that's from this walk of life. And it's people saying, oh, you know what they shouldn't be talking about.
Speaker 1: They crime.
Speaker 3: I mean, I could imagine glasses low bro in two thousand, two thousand and two, when I'm selling sharm every day. I mean, like I probably wouldn't have took the job. But in two thousand and three or four, when I'm tired of selling sharm every day, somebody come and say, hey, man, I'm gonna give you a thousand and fifteen hundred dollars just to give your perspective on current topics and hip hop. You know what I'm saying, I could imagine what I would be talking about. I didn't go to college for journalism, fear me, I was bre I was an underdeveloped rapper at that point, right, So it's like I would be saying the same things I would be relating it. And the funny part is about them brothers, is cause like them, niggas talk about a million things, but the things that stick are the things that people respect them as experts in. I guess the point of this part of this thought is like it's easy for us to talk shit about these people now, or people to talk shit about them, because it's like, yeah, but they only got the opportunity to change their life because of what they've been through. Now, do I think it has a value to Adam and everybody else?
Speaker 1: Of course?
Speaker 3: It's again, this is one of those things that I keep saying, people outside of is understand how valuable it is.
Speaker 1: People inside of it, don't you know what I mean? Like they just don't do they not?
Speaker 4: Or do they understand how valuable it is, but they don't understand or at least appropriately or proficiently like create a distribution mechanism to capitalize on that value. Because it's like as soon as they get the opportunity, they jump at it. They realize that they're valuable. Obviously they see other people being used for value. But as it's you know, not complicated, it's easier to get on somebody else's show than to maybe possibly create your own show out of whole cloth.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not easier, right, It's harder to create your own show, right, But it's not that right. It's like, Okay, so the thing that fuels street urban lifestyle is to be recognized. Remember, Like I know, like you believe in racism to somebody oppression, but I'm saying it's way worse than you could think. This poverty is way worse than you can think because it makes you feel ignored or invisible, you know what I mean, Like nobody knows you exist. So coming from that type of cloth, you know what I mean, And it's natural in humans, but it's like ten times worse. And people that come from like where I come from, Right, I get that.
Speaker 1: That's like.
Speaker 4: A lot of those cultural underpinnings and stuff like that. That's like that that's my whole that's my whole thing. Like that's my entire.
Speaker 5: Thing. That's my whole thematic deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, no, yeah, And I'm not taking away from it. I'm just saying, so it's all about being recognized. Yeah, Like that's how it works, even at the street level before the Internet. Right, It's like you wrote your name on the wall illegally, people can figure out who you were, like you know, glasses logo on the wall, Like that's illegal, and the police know that you wrote that because it's your name on the wall. Not only that, right, Pete, you probably crossed something out in there. Yeah, but now like a person that you then disrespect it on that wall, they know they are aware of your existence.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but there's like being recognized for free, being recognized for illicit profit, and then being recognized for legitimate profit. You know, So to transition A to B to C. You know, might be easier to just go from A to to be to somebody else's C then to go from A to B to your own organically created entrepreneur.
Speaker 1: See, you know, I mean, if I think, but that's the point.
Speaker 3: I think if they had I think, if most people had the intellect to do it, they probably be doing something different. They probably wouldn't be doing that. Like I'm watching H. H. Young and from a trade do it right now, you know, building his own platform. You know, he did get some interviews, but he's building his own platform. It's like, you know, it's it's a different journey, which again it all goes into the same thing.
Speaker 1: You go from again, the same thing.
Speaker 3: That fuel street life, fuels this right to to It's all the same thing. You're tired of being invisible, You're tired of being You want to matter, you want your name you want your legacy, You want things to mean something to people.
Speaker 1: You want the world to know you exist.
Speaker 3: Right, So if you look at street life, right King, no matter if it's Yo gen to my gen or any other gen, that's the vining point and that's that's what makes it, that's what makes it revolved to be recognized.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So it's no different than going up to a platform where people want to talk to you about this life that you live. It seems like, you know, hey, people noticing me, and then you realize, you know, like, oh shit, I don't have to do crimes anymore. Like they will pay me just to be me. That's like hella empowering, you know what I mean? Like that's hella empowering. And it's not like rap. Like rap I had to develop a talent, somebody had to be talented enough to make the music. Somebody got to be talented enough to market it. It's a thousand things could if they ask you this question, is the wrong people getting that power?
Speaker 1: What do you mean the wrong people getting which like.
Speaker 6: The people that's getting on these platforms, are they helping society? Are they getting people locked up? Are they telling on people? What is it helping the culture.
Speaker 3: Nobody listen, even in this particular case, it's happening. There's a real person telling it has like everybody keep thinking this to you know, I guess because they mentioned it inside that indictment paper that oh this is because they locked themselves locked up. No, they have somebody actually telling them police on the crimes. And then now that the things are made for the general public and maybe to swaye certain people within the system like oh yeah, see they even admitted.
Speaker 6: It in the podcast shows and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's after again, like they can't just come arrest you because you satting on the podcast and said you did something. They would have to actually go to prove it because you got to get warrants and a thousand other things. You can't just say, hey, they sitting on the podcast. So again, it's one of those things to make it to some degree taint the jury pool mhm, to some degree, taint the jury pool to some degree, like make you know, to make people look like, oh, you know again, it's it's that make it look like it's glorified, like they don't care. Yeah, like that you kind of yeah, like they don't really care. That's why they're bragging about it. And again, because these platforms are rooted in street urban cultural experiences and perspectives, everybody is vying and trying to validate who they are when it comes culturally, and that's where it looks like, oh, they're bragging about a crime. Like even that conversation that one of the guys had, he was saying, this is why him and he felt like this person was betraying him, and this is why because this thing happened, and this thing happened, and I had to do this and I had to give this.
Speaker 1: Feel me.
Speaker 3: So it's like, I get the complex journey from the streets, out of the streets into a place to where you're not having to commit crime to take care of yourself or make a living. So, you know, I think it's easy for a lot of people who never did any crime in their life to sit back and go like, oh, you know what you see they just telling on their showf That's how it's like, Bro, it's way more complex than that.
Speaker 1: Swag.
Speaker 3: More complex. And I'm with Pete in a sense that you know, I don't blame them. A lot of people do blame them. I think they have responsibilities. Not really, then people are not from this. Their whole goal is to monetize.
Speaker 6: Oh you talk about like adding them guys providing the platform.
Speaker 1: I mean they have a platform. Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And consider like how slow motion like real time actually is.
Speaker 5: So you have.
Speaker 4: A piggybank that calls you and says, hey, I've seen you or heard about you based off of et cetera. Stuff that you probably don't want out in the public, at least not in this regard. Come on to my show. I want to hear about your story. You're already showing up on the premise that it's like, not say glorified, but like you're you're showing up to receive a congratulations effectively and rudimentary speaking for what you did exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then.
Speaker 4: You asked a question, so you're here to tell this story. Then you get asked a follow up question, and a follow up question and a follow up question. And the more you talk, the better you feel, and the more they ask you, the more probing it it becomes. The more stuff gets exposed over and over again, and there's no consequences. It's not like something happens to you that day or that hour. No, you might be on there for six seven episodes over the course of a month and a half, and you mentioned two or three stories that were implicated in five hours of talking and.
Speaker 5: It's out there now.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but my question was earlier, Like I said earlier, is it that these platforms allowing you know, part of the culture to come up and speak, But it's that culture speaking in a way that's gonna profit the rest in the culture.
Speaker 3: So everybody's not going up there. So a lot of people culturally are just where they're from. It's not about it is it's gonna make everybody in my community benefit. Okay, that's not the thought. The thought is they're finally being heard.
Speaker 6: So it's just more selfish than humanity.
Speaker 3: I don't even know if I would use the word selfish as much as self empowering, because it's not like they don't go up there thinking it's gonna hurt everybody, you know what I'm saying. They don't go up there thinking like yo, if I express this perspective, it's gonna hurt everybody. So you know that would be selfish, Like, well, I don't care what happened to them. It's more or less like like Peter's saying, there's a there's a therapy element to this that's not being spoke about, whereas like, right, somebody finally hears me, somebody who has all of the the millions of years because that's what they feel like, right, and they care about what's going on with me, or in some of these niggas cases, they've been hired to give their cultural perspective, and again they're not prepared for it from a journalistic standpoint. They don't really have a journalistic idea of how to go about a journalistic idea on how to go about a tackling a subject. They just have this cultural perspective, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And it's like I was just thinking about that and I was like, man, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know what to do to get people inside of the culture, people that grew up with this, to really truly get the value. The way that I see it, I see it the same way Adam act.
Speaker 1: Where any of the other guys see it. I see it like that.
Speaker 3: And it's funny, Even before I understood it the way I do now, I always valued it that way. I carry myself, like, bitch, I suvived some shit to get here. Like I tell people all the time, like, don't get me wrong, it's people flying in airplanes over me when it comes to career wise and hip hop. They got airplanes right, but guess what, they probably started on a speed boat right, going up ain't a thing. I'm from the trench. I'm from the Marianna trenches for real. The pressure is different going where I started at the pressure of water just sheer on my head, Like, it's more people that have been seven miles up then there have been people seven miles down. So there's very few things that come from seven miles down. So even if I'm right now on top of the water in a rowboat, if I'm in a rowboat, I have made more progress than somebody that came from a speedboat to an airplane.
Speaker 1: They're the same motherfucker.
Speaker 3: Just off sheer pressure that I had to deal with coming from where I came from.
Speaker 1: So I've always valued it that way.
Speaker 3: I'm also somebody that don't do no drugs, don't drink nothing. So I realized what I was surviving. I realized what I survived. Everybody else don't realize what we survived. They they'll know it when they're argument, but they don't realize it as this beneficial experience thing. And that's a unique place to be because again, like I said, people outside that didn't grow up in this, they grew up, they understand it. Act got on purely off of the war in Schiraq. It was the only platform bringing you that initially. So again that street urban culture that he brought that to you, that created his following at this level. He might do have some skills and talent.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know what's background in journalism, but I'll tell you one thing that was important. But that type of power because you have access to that, just being a brother is Hella rewarding. And it worked out for him. I'm watching Flocko build his thing right now off of LA Like here's a perfect example. Blocko and Ad covered the exact same thing, right he covered the trial eighty took his time, sat down and read all one hundred and seven of that indictment like Floco. Ad is going to be treated completely different when he starts to break down that document than Flaco because a D carries the burden of culture. This is why I always say hip hop is the burden or the responsibility of culture, because Flocko doesn't have that. He can be wrong, he can journalistic and reported it. That won't even matter. Nobody gonna call his phone or very few people. If a d does it, it's different. He is burden and balled down and it looks crazy when he does it because he's of said culture, because he's of said culture. Same for pun, same for t Reil, same for you know, Schmack or any home.
Speaker 1: That's what it is. So that's the trick with being with like.
Speaker 3: That's how I carry hip hop, you know what I mean, That's how I carry hip hop. I carry it like you know what, this ship might not really you know, this ship might not like like, I'm not finna just give this to everybody. I'm not just gonna give this to everybody. Everybody just can't get this. Everybody. You know, I'm not gonna stamp everybody with this. I'm not gonna get I thought it was valuable.
Speaker 6: So when you go on shows and talk, you don't give everybody your full perspective of hip hop or you Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure I've said something that was incriminating before you know what I mean. But again, you know that just comes along with the experience, You know what I mean. My perspective is gonna be unique. Hell, how I think about crime is unique than the average person. So even something that may be self incriminating to mainstream society, to me could be culturally righteous. And I'm okay with it.
Speaker 6: Hey, Pete, thinking about what you said got me on to asked this question. So a lot of these shows that these platforms present for the culture or parts of the culture always end up with crime related stories.
Speaker 4: I don't know, al it seems like there's a disproportioned amount of that. And okay, there's always an interest, Like there's a huge like sub genre, you know how you see with the biker gangs, there's that says one percenter, right, mm hm, that's kind of like.
Speaker 5: Broadly applicable to society at large.
Speaker 4: Ninety nine percent of people follow the rules, one percent don't give a fucking don't and the ninety nine percent are fascinated by the mentality of the one percent who got it in them to say fuck it.
Speaker 5: And and that's why biker.
Speaker 4: TV shows got popular, Mafia movies were popular, game bang, drug trafficking. Anybody who says the rules, I'm gonna do what I want to do, consequences be damned.
Speaker 5: Most people aren't wired that way, so they're fascinated by that. So it's almost like you hear the expression.
Speaker 4: Sex cells, you show enough ass cheeks, people are gonna look. If you talk enough about that one percent, there's enough people in the ninety nine percent who are gonna be interested in it's because of something, but they can't either realize in real life or they fantasize whatever it might be. Yeah, sex sales and crime cells because it's against the rules, and hip hop whole premise is being against the rules.
Speaker 3: Now they not necessarily all against crime, but the rules are different. Always say, one of my favorite expressions is that I realized was the first hip hop lessons most people get is when you go to school, when you're a kid, the first time somebody hit you, you feel me, and you go tell your parents if they tell you to hit they ass back.
Speaker 1: Your ass is hip hop. You grew up in street urban coature.
Speaker 3: Now, however you decide to express artistically, you grew up in the culture because your parents are immediately telling you to break the rules.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I don't want to use the term responsible, but parents who believe in the system of America will say, hey, go tell the principal or tell the teacher. People that grew up how we grew up, right, break the rules. Kick his ass, you know what I'm saying. So it's like, I just noticed that, and I want that, like a lot of these people wouldn't be on these situations if they didn't have this that one percent, that one percent or lifestyle.
Speaker 1: To offer as a as a as a.
Speaker 6: Perspective, sure is an authentic perspective to offer from their own personal experience.
Speaker 1: Depends on the person. I think that's the goal.
Speaker 3: But they also, like people don't understand the US part of it all, the US part of it all. There's an US in culture that's not being spoken about. And you know, again having access like right now, even in this particular uh, in this particular loss, in this particular indictment, people think it's about the gang and it's not. But the media, in the in the federal government is smart enough to get the public on their side by saying, hey, we got the leader of this gang. So people immediately are mislabeling it. Oh, this is a rico of the Rolling Sixties. That's not what's happening. This is of this particular man's organization. People on that, on that, on that picture, that that that that were picked up in charge. All of them people ain't from No. Six to Oh they're not from no gang. Everybody not from everybody not from that gang. But again, the media and the federal government is smart enough to draw the interest, like Peters saying, of the general person. So it's like, hey, we got the big bad leader of the Rolling Sixties.
Speaker 1: You know, versus from the community that grew up in the community. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Whatever, you think, he's from whatever gang. But he's been helping people, you know, since he came home. He made it his decision to help kids and to do the best he can and make away. I mean, if they explain the story for what it really is, you know, people can really say they'll be more attentive. That makes sense, you know what I mean. You can't do anything. But if you look like you're taking down, you know, the notorious leader of a huge popular crip gang, guess what you have The media like, oh okay, so now you just have a bunch of people swam public opinion of Like, you know, no matter how we say, it's going to take the jury pool, you have a bunch of people swam public opinion on what's happening already. And that's why I feel like people that grew up in the culture, their job is to keep the ninety nine percent together, like, hey, look, we're not that different, you know what I mean, Like, especially when it comes to the media side of it. And that's why I feel like the burden falls on that perspective from people within the culture.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's not fair.
Speaker 3: Like I always say, being black I said this the other day, being black is not about me just waking up. Being black is my my care and my and my my concern for other black people. That's what being black is like. Being a human is not just existing. Being humane is to care about other humans, right, So being black is the same thing.
Speaker 1: It's it's a it's an interest into other black people.
Speaker 6: I never really thought about just being black, like I'm black.
Speaker 5: I never thought either.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's like I'm just being black, Like what's being black? I'm black? Like, I never thought about that, you know, I thought about you know, the situations on men, but not just being black. I can't think of any time I thought about being some other color except like skinny. I never thought wanted to be white. I just wanted to be light more like my cousins, like skinny, because that sho be revered, you know, like, but never white or never any other color, just like wow, I be the color of my cousins.
Speaker 3: But again, if if being black was as simple as skin it just it wouldn't make sense.
Speaker 1: That's say.
Speaker 6: So I never thought about being black. It was just is what it is.
Speaker 3: So now that's why I said when I express it to be truly of culture, to truly be of people, right, And the verb of being of people is to care about people, so that space right. That like again humane, the verb of being a human humane is to care about other humans. So I don't know, man, I just like I said, it's a tough task for people on that media side, you feel me that come from street urban culture, because they are burden with the responsibility of hopefully understanding that they need to convince the other ninety nine percent of people, Hey, it's not as different as you think, Like it's already really different. It's already really different, Like Peter is saying, like it's already the way we see crime and rules are completely different.
Speaker 1: The nerve of these people to be breaking.
Speaker 6: The rules, Hey, Pete, some of them stories I'll be hearing about crime and crime stories, I be one to challenge them as being true. Some I think be fluff just for the stories.
Speaker 5: I'm sure that that happens.
Speaker 6: Like they heard somebody else tell a story, now it's them. Yeah, yeah, I mean from my perspective, I see that a lot. When I be hearing story, I'd be like, wait a minute, that definitely didn't happen like that in the system. I've been there. So that's why I said, given the true authentic perspective of what they've been through versus something they heard or made up just so they could be recognized.
Speaker 1: But even in artistic merit, it's made to be storytelling rated.
Speaker 3: I remember one day I met somebody and they was like, glasses, man, you if you sold drugs, why you don't dress like Rick Ross, like the rapper. In their mind, that's how drug dealers dressed. Because the depth of their understanding Nino Brown or the rapper rose right. It's like so they like, oh, that's how drug dealers dress or it's like if you look at New York and you be like glass, you don't wear a lot of jury. Well, the old d boys that I knew my whole life didn't wear a lot of jeury. But I guess if you see a movie on the Boy Nikki Barnes and certain people, that's what you believe. So again, I always I'm always reminded I'm teaching ignorant people, even people that saw films. I'm teaching ignorant people about something that they don't truly know about. The worst part and the hardest part is when people talk to you like they have a fucking idea of what they're talking about. That's irritating. Like people think you can't wear a color, and I'm like, bro, that's not true. Like how you're wearing that color, where you're wearing that color is a million It's more important than just the color itself. So you know, not just not just the true cultural but even the artistic expression is the same way. There is a there is a dab of too much sauce on it, you know what I'm saying. But it's also been so long since people have been exposed to it, so people have to kind of make it a little more sparkly than it probably should be.
Speaker 4: Wait, wait, so you're is this part of why because Inglewood, you know, is largely a blood city.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for the most part.
Speaker 4: Does this explain how all those ram fans at home games make it out alive?
Speaker 3: That's good, good question, Pete. That's the police and people be getting ribbed like fucking crazy. If the police was over there, police wasn't over there, and.
Speaker 1: People still poor man.
Speaker 3: And people and poor, not just and broke, but like broken, you know what I mean, spirit.
Speaker 1: Like ignored, you know, ignored, you know, uh, deprived, despair, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Like that's what pushes hip hop right, push his culture.
Speaker 3: I mean historically, I mean, why would a rich motherfucker make spaghetti?
Speaker 1: Is beyond me. I mean, the more money I made, the less starts I need.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and there's very few.
Speaker 6: That's when you say that because I was telling, you know, somebody, when I was a kid and poor was just about us, no matter what we had, you try to make it clean or you trying to iron it up so that people can see how clean you was. Even though you was the poorest dude there, you still try to look like you have money by taking what you had and trying to make it look clean. Your shoes all signed up even though they was your only pair of shote.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, so you want to look new because if you had money, you bought it yesterday.
Speaker 1: But in their mind, yeah and then fresh, that just wasn't how it is. Again.
Speaker 3: Remember, remember the ghetto is as ignorant to upper upper upper suburban and wealthy lifestyle. They don't.
Speaker 1: They're just as ignorant.
Speaker 3: So when people soon as somebody that never had nothing or never had no real money, get some money, they start emulating their idea of what having money is and go broke.
Speaker 7: Because funny, I talk about that with the buddy of mine, how he was complaining Jamaic Andre from all Show back in the heat.
Speaker 5: You know, get some.
Speaker 4: He you know, spare the language choices he uses, but you'll you'll get like an educated black professional who you know, whatever age, but they're maybe it's their first generation or whatever of having a lot of money, and they're a total asshole to him. And he hates being talked down to him, treated, you know like that by something, and ran am asshole And I'm like, I get the impression that a lot of people think that everybody with a bunch of money is some snobby, arrogant, piece of shit asshole. And then they get some money and they think, well, I have much of money, this is how I'm supposed to act, And ninety nine people out of one hundred don't act like that, and they think, what a piece of shit asshole that guy.
Speaker 3: Is over there and is really an underrated thing. So again that's my point. It's a a lot of people, even some of the people in this particular case, didn't grow up in this particular lifestyle that they represent it. I mean, so they are giving their best rendition of what they think it is as well, you know what I'm saying, Like people don't know, so they're giving their best rendition of what it's like to be from a game like I watch, a lot of people really monetize the street urban culture lifestyle and the way they're doing it that's not really authentically how it's done.
Speaker 6: That's what I was saying with the platforms with people was doing on these platforms. To me, it's not authentic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but again you're not showing it to people that come from the lifestyle. You're showing it to that like Pize saying that ninety nine percent of people And this is a lot of it, Like I said, even with a rose is a lot of it. Is very much people's expectation or people's idea. Like I used to listen to people tell me who was flying private jets and doing what and I'm like that ain't true about that person. No, gee, I'm like, this person got this much money. I'm like, that don't mean what you think it mean. They don't know.
Speaker 1: So it's two.
Speaker 3: Completely different worlds of people emulating or trying to assume this is what people think it means.
Speaker 4: I talk to somebody who legitimately and this person should have known better. They were an adult celebrity who honestly thought. No, it wasn't Malcolm, just to be clear, but like it was not that that. Remember there was a skit on an old Rick Ross album where it sounded like a bank of audio.
Speaker 5: Calling or he had twenty million dollars.
Speaker 1: Ninety three million dollars in the Bank of American bank account. Yeah, I'm like, well.
Speaker 4: I know that's horseshit, because nobody with a bunch of money whatever just keep it idly sitting in the checking account because you're just putting your money in a fucking coffin.
Speaker 5: So I know that's horseshit. You know that's a real recording. I'm like, that's not a fucking real recording.
Speaker 3: That's how it feels all the time people when you're trying to tell I said that particular thing on the breakfast club and people was mad at me, and I'm like, I'm not talking shit, I'm it's so it's a it's a weird combination of authenticity and entertainment because it can't just be authentic. Authentic to people is way too grounding, its way depressing.
Speaker 6: Not depressing, but just too much like your life got fun from the outside. It's probably more fun looking at it from the outside than it is.
Speaker 3: I mean you a lot of times you want to look at people different because it makes you reflect on what you could have did with your life. So you want to believe that these things are. What's weirdly is people don't want to pull these things closer. Like when I realized Michael Jackson was just more of a well studied student than just some kind of phenomenal talented person, like he was a well trained student. I mean, and he has some gifts, but he was well trained when I started realizing, you know, Billy Jean is just a rendition of I can't go for that, or you know, or beat it is Ma Sharona production wise, or you know, or the way he dances, you know, the most popular way Michael Jackson move is inspired by the choreograph.
Speaker 1: The choreograph, the choreographer Bob Fosse.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, from the Little Prince from the films Little Prince that came out in nineteen seventy four. It's a snake scene and the way he's moving, that's Michael Jackson, you know what I mean. Like to me, that's empowering, right because it's like, oh damn greatness. I'm connected to greatness. All I have to do is study and figure it out and I can achieve great things right with my gifts. In studying other people, it's devastating because they thought of this person as a completely better person than them, like God made them completely better.
Speaker 1: Better, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: They're just a better breed of human being versus something human being that somebody trained the.
Speaker 1: Shit out of, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So it's it's tricky, man, It's tricky, like one DMC.
Speaker 1: Say, cicky.
Speaker 6: So hard work pays off in some type of way.
Speaker 1: I mean, it always does.
Speaker 3: If you take one brick a day and you just stack it on top, you know, you know the bare minimum about masonry, and you put semen on one brick. If you lay a brick a day and you building a wall, eventually the wall gonna be built.
Speaker 1: You just gotta know how to build a wall. You gotta look up.
Speaker 3: How So again, it's like you have a bunch of poor people trying to change their fortune, right, and this is all they have to offer until they have more to offer, you know what I'm saying, Like until they have more to offer. But again, if you only see if that was the case, a lot of these guys could go sit down with people that don't represent this. I don't think they really want to build their business. People outside out of the culture want to build their business and nothing else. They like Pete saying, people love that guy that's against the rules. They know that they could sell that. I got a question for you, so leads into this.
Speaker 6: So with the culture, you know, like we say, the culture is usually with disadvantaged people and things like that. But I know, growing up, we always have parents that say, I want to do my life better, so your life would be better than mine. You know, how does that save the culture of despair? If families is getting better, then your children have better lives than they had, but the culture still be there because the despair would be disappearing.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think that's happening every day. Okay, you know what I mean. I think that's happening every day.
Speaker 6: But does that where you see it going mainstream now? Where we see it start to open up to everything now because the out there and stuff is going away or what.
Speaker 3: Pete said something that's a popular expression. Necessity is the mother of invention. Lingo is is the same right, being able to communicate. That's what slang is birthed out of not having proper English classes. It's not somebody in the suburban neighborhood just figuring out dope slang words. That's not the culture of it. Low riders are the best. Lowriders are the cheapest version of a car you don't like. The worst lowrider to have is a supersport. You know, the bucket seeds that got the big the four h nine motor and all. That's not cool, that's not flavor. Like you wouldn't get a pair of Gucci pans and put a crease in cuffing them. That would be fucking ridiculous.
Speaker 6: You said something to me the other day when I was making a joke, you know, about the neighborhood of the sixties and the perception sure you know, and I was like, they rich, you know they written. You was like, no, dude, stop, you know they're not like that. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That's respect.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's say you give perspect like the sixties is rich kids, so that gives people farest well rich kids as gag members. But no, He's like, no, it's not that kind of Yeah, you know what I'm saying. But to the world, it looked like the sixties. And I thought that too, Like, you know, but when you told the perspective. But that's where I get that from, Like, is it like that, you know where you got to be in disparaged?
Speaker 3: Are going to be like that theory that you could be rich and still be this I mean, even soulful is was invented out of necessity. No, I mean, you can't it would be hard to I don't know if you would do a rib the way you do. Imagine like how you cook smothered steak, like you know what I mean. It's kind of like, yeah, I don't know if you're supposed to do that with a rabbi. You know, you know what I'm saying, Pete, you just smother it up with gravy and the fresh Rabbi. It's like, I don't know if you should have did that. Imagine you're trying to cook spinach the way you cook greens. They've been sitting in this pot for three hours. I think they would be done.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So people hate that I say this, and I understand why street urban culture is still rooted in some level of oppression and poverty culture period. I mean there are some like people say, oh, there's no white culture, not really, like there's really no black culture. Really it's very minute things maybe like hair hot combs now, but once you pull out the once you pull out poverty from that. Like it's a black family that grew up in Beverly Hills. They whole life, They wasn't the descendant of slaves, and they had money when they came here and they was black and they live in bel Air.
Speaker 1: What would you be doing that would make it black culture?
Speaker 6: So do you think black culture? I mean, well not black culture, but hip hop is shrinking every day that it's getting small and something. It's going to be gone.
Speaker 3: It doesn't have a choice because just to live in America is you can't even take pride in poverty anymore. Like like street urban culture, especially hip hop, is a pride in this ship.
Speaker 1: It's not a shameful thing.
Speaker 3: It's like taking the worker pants that your that your father had, the last pair of the worker pants, and you crease them and cuff them and treat them like they the freshest thing in the world. It's about taking some you know, ten dollars basketball shoes, you know, named after a player that wasn't even that great player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's about taking a shirt.
Speaker 3: Meant to be an undershirt, you know what I'm saying, and putting a crease in it and wearing it out loud like it's it's a it's a different pride in poverty.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Even the lingo how we talk, we we we speak it like you know what I mean, We speak it like like we speaking the greatest language in the world, you know what I mean, and without that type of pride to solidify it. I saw a sister say that, like there was a time people made being poor look so cool. That's all I was saying to somebody when I was little. You make it look cool, you make it like it's nast That's the foundation of hip hop, making that type of situation look cool, you know what I'm saying. So it's like, yeah, it's it's it's a tough out, you know, I mean, And it has to shrink and get smaller. People parents are are you know, think about it again. Like I said, I grew up, we didn't. We looked at Louis Vatan and Gucci as homosexual brands. That was not like something we aspired to have, you know, Foobou you know, Karl Kana, cross color, youse, damaged, you know what I mean, Like black designers, rockaware, I mean, the fat form, you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Because I wasn't things that wasn't there when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: No, y'all didn't have it right. So so my generation is unique versus new kids today. They want a celine or they want and.
Speaker 6: You look, you missed the parachute pants years. They won't you know what I'm saying, they won't find it.
Speaker 3: The black brands, they've probably made the last cool black brand and shirt to say, friendshaw.
Speaker 1: You understand that'sh it. So it's it's it's like.
Speaker 3: It's it's tough you I mean, but that's what made hip hop special, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's it's this. It's this real.
Speaker 3: Man pride in circumstance, like yeah, I'm a still rocket though I'm still rock these dickies like yeah, watch this creasing these cuffs in this motherfucker this ship finna look nice, you know, like a pendleton that's just a flannel and they just open the top and button one or two buttons down and player that bitch out and yeah, I'm the freshest nigga on the block, and other people start to believe it, you know what I mean, like that freshest on the block. I think there's still some of that.
Speaker 4: I think it's evolved in the in the way that it's presented, you know, like intergenerationally speaking, because like forty years ago, you didn't see every other guy on the street corner with fucking ten tattoos on their face.
Speaker 3: I mean, but I think that that is kind of something from somewhere different.
Speaker 6: That comes from from people being locked up.
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, yeah, but looking to what it's evolved to though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, true, But I don't think it's evolved.
Speaker 3: Evolve is in reference like we usually evolved, like change versus evolve being something to stay alive or to grow. I don't think it's evolving. I think it's actually becoming obsolete.
Speaker 6: I think more people are getting it still tattoos.
Speaker 3: But that again, it's not that culture anymore.
Speaker 6: It's normal now, it's not. It's not cultured. You're not bad if you have a tattoo. You're not doing crime. If you have a tattoo, it's like going.
Speaker 3: It's like everybody around America, like I'm going to get mesical food because they have a taco bell.
Speaker 1: That's not what that is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what you're saying. I agree with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And there's a lot more I mean there's a lot more visibility we've talked about before, a lot more access, a lot more visibility. There's a lot more biting. I mean there's and like I'll say, like you can't have discipline without consequences Culturally in the United States right now, they're trying to do away with two things simultaneously, also shame and pride. You can't have pride if there's no shame, you know what I mean, Like, you can't have the one without the other. So like, no, no one's ashamed of themselves for doing anything. Apparently there's no self respect anymore. So how the fuck can you have a lot of pride if you if you're not having pride in the fact that you don't have anything to be ashamed of because shame is no longer a thing.
Speaker 3: And looking out for tuning into the No Sellers podcast, Please do us a favorite, subscribe rate Commonist Share. This episode was recorded right here on the West coast of the USA. It produced about the Black Effect podcast network and not hard radio.
Speaker 7: Yeah