Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club. This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts, Darry Church, Hecma Harrison, and Newie Scruggs.
Speaker 2: It's hum day right here on the Players Lodes, brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming.
Speaker 3: Got a house full of Negroes, four of us. Yes, let's go.
Speaker 2: Here, the three times Super Bowl champion, Black College Hall of Famer from Florida A and m he is Nate Newton.
Speaker 4: That's as right there.
Speaker 3: Hall of Fame, Toledo Rockets.
Speaker 5: Scrutch's Gotay Dues that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cowboys getting ready for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 3: Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 2: But the press conference today comes up with the news and lets us know, Brandon Cooks, the number.
Speaker 3: Two wire receiver is out. Who they need?
Speaker 2: Not good, gentlemen, not good. I'll start with you, guest, guest, Uh Nate Newton here. Uh no, Michael Parsons. They haven't ruled him out officially, but I'm not expecting Michael Parsons play. We know Tank Lowredce is not gonna play. So two good d linemen are out. Now you're gonna have a wire receiver target in Brandon Cook's out thoughts, Sir.
Speaker 3: It's just a team that's gonna strain.
Speaker 6: We're gonna we're gonna struggle for every yard gained, every yard taking away on defense. Uh, it's you know, old cliche, but this this really stands is you better rally, you better rally your troops, and you better play down in distance football situation of football that's offensive and defensively, don't do no tricks, just keep it close to the hill and then hope at the end of the game that Dak has a situation where he's either up by two or three or down by two or three and he got the ball.
Speaker 5: Last, so he's gotta have the ball. That I agree with that. Offensively, they gotta.
Speaker 3: Win first and second down.
Speaker 4: I mean, in this.
Speaker 5: Situation, you can't go against Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh dealing with a bunch of third and eighths, third and nine thirty and tens because we all understand what that means. TJ whtt, Like we always say, pinning the ears back, he's gonna get after Prescott. You got Cam Hayward in the middle, as well, pinning his ears back, getting after press spots. So you gotta win first and second down, and to me, that means you gotta try to run the football. I mean, we've been talking at this at nausea the first couple of weeks. You gotta give it an opportunity, even if it's three yards and a cloud of dust, even if it's two and a half yards here and there, you gotta go ahead and at least attempt to run the football to keep them boys honest on that side of the football, because the once they no blood in the water, I understand. You know, Tom and those boys over there, they're gonna get after all right. They're gonna let t. J. Watt come off the edge. They're gonna blitz Patrick McQueen every which way he can. They gonna let him Heyward do what he has to do. The opposite line for the Cowboys. Got lucky that Hetsmith's not gonna play this weekend, right, because that's two dogs off the edge that you gotta worry about.
Speaker 3: But he's gone, he's out of the picture. So the meat you gotta stay balanced.
Speaker 5: This is not a game where Prescott can go out there and throw the ball forty one times, throw the ball.
Speaker 4: Fifty one times. It's just not gonna add up.
Speaker 5: When you got guys on that side of the football that can get after the quarterback the way they do.
Speaker 3: It's a hotsmith.
Speaker 6: Missing is not giving me a sigh of relief because they got They got too much, you know, over there on the on the other side. And look, man, how can I depend on something that I hadn't seen so far? I haven't seen I haven't seen a running game here, and so I'm not gonna just imagine that comes Sunday night, They're gonna conjure one up. I think you have to be effective as you're talking about there on first and second down. But I'm putting this on Dok. I anticipated being a dog fight. It's gonna be. It's gonna be a defense. It's a game. But you need for Dak to make those big plays. He's in the two victories. You've seen Dak bring his hard hat and climb you out of plenty of situations. And he gonna have to do it again. Everything that y'all said is on point. They have to rally, they have to do all of that. You know, they have to be good on first and second down. They can't allow this defense to tee off on him. But Dak gotta be good. I mean, he's got to be expectacular because not only are they good upfront, they have a safety that is probably one of the best safeties in yeah, I mean Fitzpatrick. So man Dak is gonna have to be good with his eyes, you know, relocating that safety.
Speaker 4: But Ceedee Lamb has got to show up too. He's got to show up.
Speaker 6: And this is a Pittsburgh still, a defense that does give up some big yardage in the passing game.
Speaker 3: So I anticipate that.
Speaker 6: When you go on the road, you know, the stars have to show up and show out. And I'm with you, Ceedee Lamb, Jake Ferguson, Dak gonna have to do what they gotta do. But I'm telling you, fellas, whether you want to or not run the ball, you gotta save your left tackle. He's in a he's in a tail spin that's unbelievable right now. And if you want this kid to have a future, you got to run that ball at least forty five percent of the time at.
Speaker 2: Least, So stay there and there. What we saw against him against the Giants. Wasn't pretty. It wasn't pretty, a lot of holding. The competition steps up this week with t J Watt. Next week you got eight hutcheson.
Speaker 3: Oh god, so.
Speaker 7: I but.
Speaker 3: God, what good correction? You see? That sounds more smooth? You know what?
Speaker 2: How do they help him? Is it putting schoonmaker there? Is it having lit in the backfield to help me? How do they help Guidon? Because we saw what was happening against the Giants, and the competition's getting back.
Speaker 6: I don't care quicker quicker passes, and I saw it a lot. If people say you can't do it the whole game, yes you can. Because the Seattle Seahawks quarterback the whole game. If you watched him, he was not holding that ball. Believe what you see, Dak, and you got to get it there. That's mean your pre snap reeves got to be perfect and your anticipation got to be there. You got to help this kid, help you. And because you can't just always turn the protection to help him. You can't always have ferguson one of the other tight ends jamming down on this guy. What he has to do is become technique.
Speaker 3: Sound.
Speaker 6: What if I was coaching him, which I'm not. Me and him would always be talking about technique and we'll be going over to film ourselves as offensive line coach. Son, that's me and you talk. What do you see about this player? What do you think you can do to him?
Speaker 3: What you know?
Speaker 6: This is how we when we bump. Like last week, they bump the big guy, the big full back.
Speaker 3: Your guy. Look, he bumped him, but knocked.
Speaker 6: Him inside and the kid missed him.
Speaker 3: Little things like that.
Speaker 6: You got to work on every detail with him and bring his technique under control so his confidence can come back out of the control. Because, believe it or not, left tackles don't get as much help as people think. You can put people in the way. But these defensive linemen are so smart.
Speaker 3: I say, breaks it down. They are so smart, man.
Speaker 6: They see these bumps, they anticipate these things, and they still have secondary moves. This kid got to get out of his head that he doesn't have feet. This guy has great feet, talented feet. Let this guy run.
Speaker 3: Around the horn. I don't care.
Speaker 6: Don't jump out at no but tackles. I hate the coach that decided that tackles short set and what I mean by that is when you're a guard. I got a center and a tackle right here, I got newer ahead of me. I can set, I can short set you. You ain't got two inches on tom my right or left. But when a tackle tried to sit out there and short set a guy, and you leave.
Speaker 4: It all this space.
Speaker 6: If you miss, you miss, And that's what's been happening here. He'll try to short set. You ain't in college, baby, you ain't the dominate guy. These guys can think. They ain't getting twenty million dollars a year, not to be able to think and.
Speaker 3: Not to have the talent.
Speaker 6: So you got to sit back, get to your space, make sure they come to you.
Speaker 3: Don't lean.
Speaker 6: You got arms, spanions can touch each wall, use them.
Speaker 3: Is that he followed with that when you say short set and he's he's yeah, he is that? Where is that where the holding starts to come in there after?
Speaker 6: Because once you miss, and once you don't lock your hands out, once you miss, boom, Now is the next thing you do is to grab. But if you punch it from the inside out, now you hitting you hitting aim small, you hit large, aim large, and you grab everything and it's a hole. Now for guiding. And one of the things that I've evaluated from him is when he's having a bad game, he just throw. He just puts his technique in his back pocket.
Speaker 3: Yes he does. And that's not cool. Getting a street fight.
Speaker 6: That's good when you are when you are offensive guard. That's you know, I've been hurt. I've played against a spectacular player and uh and I you know, the coach would be like, you do the Hey, coach, I'm listening to you and I'm looking like I'm looking in your eyes.
Speaker 3: Knew it. But as soon as I crossed that line to go back out on that field, I'm looking at that dude.
Speaker 6: Like, homeboy, you's jersey about tore off you. I'm finna get your pass next.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So so so you would say that out of this offensive line, the biggest matchup would be that left tackle and.
Speaker 6: Not whoever they put so put over there. I don't think they'll move ninety nine that much. He loves sitting. So it's gonna be camera and it's gonna be uh Larry, I can't even owe g u in with a gun in its name. It's gonna be that guy. Yeah, so you're gonna face a bunch of guys. Uh, But but for him, it don't change left tackles. For all the athletic ability they're supposed to have, it don't change.
Speaker 3: Your goal is always to run them around the outside.
Speaker 6: Even on three step drops, you go for the inside leg. You don't even go for the outside leg. You don't try to take both. You still go for the inside because your goal is to make him go outside.
Speaker 4: So I gotta ask this question.
Speaker 6: So when you looked at both of these wells, specifically the Pittsburgh Steelers and the games that they've played, and we always do a between you know, teams, teams we lost to and teams that they've beaten. I look at the Pittsburgh Stills and I say, hey, who have they beaten?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: Their first game against Atlanta was a snooze fest. If a bunch of field goals, they won that one. They go up against the Broncos team, it's a rookie.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: Then the other games, obviously I'm saying these quarterbacks are not good and not giving them any, not threatening them any. Although they lost to the Coats. You lost to the Saints in Baltimore. That Saints tape is a teach tape for how to play offensive line and how to get your defensive line hurt. That Baltimore game was one where you face a Ravens team that probably has a repeat MVP on it in Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 4: Who I mean for me?
Speaker 6: I'm saying in those losses, the Cowboys go out there on the field, and I don't care what you practice for during the week, your scout team can't mimic what the Baltimore Ravens are doing. Do you feel as though that the Cowboys have faced opposition above what the Pittsburgh Steelers are playing? We should give them a leg up in this game versus a team that doesn't have a stout a running game.
Speaker 3: You know it would be one hundred Yes.
Speaker 6: If it was last year's offensive line and it was the fourth or fifth game. Veteran guys know how to play, know where their help coming from. Right now, I said, no, no, you you got to give Pittsburgh theirs. Their defensive line is too active. They moved too much. If we're not in sync and knowing who the block and how to block, they ain't gonna bring a whole lot of blitzes. If you that you want to call the inside linebackers coming, Patrick queen and all them guys you want to call that, I just call that an extra man coming. Uh, it's our offensive line, you know on the show we did earlier, they said Jesse started giving out numbers, and then the guy looked at me and said, what do.
Speaker 3: You think they?
Speaker 6: I said, offensive line is bad number. People make the numbers. We make the numbers percentages, not.
Speaker 3: The other way around. With the Cowboys and ninety percent on third.
Speaker 6: Now, well we win the game, but Ivis line ain't ninety percent. Ovis line probably about seventy percent.
Speaker 3: So we make the numbers.
Speaker 2: Barry, you touched on it when you were asking him earlier a little bit about Cooper BB and uh PFF had given a high grade.
Speaker 3: I don't know, did you guys see the Dexter Lawrence tweet?
Speaker 7: What did he say?
Speaker 3: No, it's what did he say?
Speaker 6: Going on?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 3: You can't he like, uh, he know what happened out there.
Speaker 6: But let me say this a young boy's uh young boy's perspective. I saw what Dexter Lawrence did to the previous sinners and his name was called a lot. Yeah, I saw. I'm like, WHOA, I was scared for BB. I'm like, man did this by mom? Know he's out there.
Speaker 3: You know I was. I was scared for him.
Speaker 4: But at the end of the day, did we.
Speaker 3: Hear Dexter a whole lot? Not a whole lot?
Speaker 6: Because this kid worded him enough. Yeah, he made he escaped the comes down, but he word in bothering him like a dog word in a bone enough to keep him off. And see, I'm not a big what is it pff PF changed, But I'm not a big guy on that either. You know when I see it, When I see that, you know, but when I do see it matching like.
Speaker 4: Cameron Heywood, that's the one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that matches.
Speaker 6: He's active and if you don't get with it, he gonna get with you.
Speaker 3: I seen him in Nelson go for the cold.
Speaker 4: That was nice.
Speaker 5: So on the officer line, can you help that center with a guard whatever which side act Martin nor talents they've been happening, can you help him.
Speaker 3: As well as on the outside.
Speaker 4: So somebody somebody got a one on one and it's been.
Speaker 3: Our left tackle. It's been our left tackle.
Speaker 2: And throughout all that you're telling us figure out a way to run the ball.
Speaker 6: You got to, you know, Jesse Holly always don't run into a brick wall, man, tad down, dynamite it, get in the crackslud run water up in there. It'll bust of pipes. Just squeeze it in up. Get you a crow bot, shake it, do whatever you gotta do. But you got to run into that brickwall. Who's you got to who's the running back then? And right now it is Rico Dollard. Ain't nowhere in the world I ever turn on Zeke. Y'all know me from last year. I was so mad and hot that balls up in New England wasting all our reps. Right, you better put ric o'donald in there and tell him to bow his neck.
Speaker 7: Son.
Speaker 4: If it's to the right, right outside the guard, we gonna wedge.
Speaker 3: Up in there.
Speaker 6: If it's to the left, rap between the sun and God, we're gonna wedge up in there. And if it's to the outside, taking and run for your life. I'm just being on. You got to run through some people, and Pittsburg ain't no bad tackling a team.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm, what all I've seen? No? I mean, look, I'm trying to get some hope them up in here. Man, you know cowboy.
Speaker 6: I gotta get, but I got the Cowboys winning this thing by ten. Go ahead, all right, let's stopping by play.
Speaker 3: Cowboys. Hey, their Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 9: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo, bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys theme casino games developed by Aristocrat, a brown sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gambling problem, please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred gambler that's one eight hundred gam b l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 10: Hey, Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 11: Prushcott kitchen slid for the first down.
Speaker 10: Invest like your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot com perfect.
Speaker 11: Throw My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 10: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wipball. Make a play for the playmaker at get Jack Black dot COM's slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 1: Are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain Morgan are celebrating extraordinary, inspiring and original fans. Nominate yourself or the biggest Cowboys fan you know for a chance to be named the twenty twenty four Fan of the.
Speaker 12: Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year. Go Cowboys Back to the players Lounge.
Speaker 6: This segment is brought to you by Yetti, the official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Heck Ma Harris, appreciate you. Barry Churches here, I new we Scruggs. This is the Player's Lounge, brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming. Thank you to three time Super Bowl champion Nate.
Speaker 4: For popping by in the building.
Speaker 2: Cowboys at the Steelers Sunday Night Football on NBC. Dallas has a seven and eight record in Pittsburgh. They last played in twenty sixteen in Pittsburgh. Elliotts with a thirty two yard touchdown run and the Dallas Cowboys won that thirty five thirty. That was November thirteenth, twenty sixteen. The last meeting was held in Dallas and Jerry World Pittsburgh won it twenty four to nineteen. That was November eighth, twenty twenty. And when you talk about the season series, the Cowboys leaded sixteen to fourteen. You talk about the Super Bowls, the Steelers leaded two to one to they won in the seventies. Cowboys won one in the nineties. Based on what Nate Newton said, here your reaction hack Maharris.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's one of those things where for everyone that's putting blame on Guiden, that perspective obviously shows you that he has a lot of growing to do quickly, and it's in these in these next couple of games as we're looking for him to mature through the process. It's going to be very interesting to watch. You know, are they getting the most out of their first round draft pick? He's he is going to be up against the monsters. We started off the season talking about him going up against Cleveland and their defense man TJ.
Speaker 3: Watt.
Speaker 6: As You've talked about some of the best in the league that he's having to face. And this is like man like talk about out of the frying pan into the buyer situation for a young man. And I think what I've been just trying to say, Nate Echo that is you can't help him all the time. You can't help him all the time, and he's going to be on an island and teams are going to try to victimize him as much as they possibly can. But my thought process has been with this running game. You know, look, I'm not gonna wish upon the start, it's gonna happen. I know that you gotta do it, but I mean, he furthered like explained that you got you just you got to you got to go into Hinesville and you got to try and find some semblance of a running game to be successful.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I love what he said about the running game because that sometimes that's just how it is. You gotta run into the brick wall. You may only go out there twenty carriers for fifty yards. You know that may be the case, but you're keeping that defense.
Speaker 4: Honest.
Speaker 5: My only thing is with that run game, give give somebody to rock on multiple cake like, don't just do this switching thing. I mean, I've turned to talking about it, but this rotating thing has got to and give somebody the lead dog position up when it comes to that running attack. Another thing he talked about is, you know, to help this offensive line is get the ball out of Dak's hands quick, you know, quick.
Speaker 3: Throws, hit CD lambs, ceede lamb.
Speaker 5: My only thing with that is how who's.
Speaker 3: Gonna win these one on ones? Who are we throwing the ball quick?
Speaker 4: Too?
Speaker 5: When you look at it and if I can see it, I know Tomlin and them boys can see it. In the secondary, there's still gonna be sitting on everything. There's no threat of deepness when you talk about this, this this offense, there's no threat going over the top of your head.
Speaker 4: I mean the only guy that was known known.
Speaker 5: To to top off was Cooks and he will not be in attendance. You know, you got CD LAMB, and I'm sure they're gonna put all their resources in the stop in CD Lamb.
Speaker 3: But when you talk about getting the ball out of your hands quick, who's going Who's gonna win? Is it gonna be Ferd? Is it gonna be Toburt Turping turping?
Speaker 5: You know who's gonna be going out there and consistently win to get the ball to your hands quick because we know if he holds it back there for too long, eventually t j Ye cam Hamard an recruiter, gonna get after him.
Speaker 3: So you know, when it comes.
Speaker 5: To this passing game, I'm I'm perplexed because I just don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't see what a threat is passing the football.
Speaker 3: So quick pass get out to the flat.
Speaker 6: You got you know a guy, you know a guy you gotta say, set up sat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, lip Key, roll out there, catch one.
Speaker 4: That's a long drive.
Speaker 3: So let me go over the final rush numbers from the Giants game.
Speaker 2: Ric o'daddle eleven attempts forty six yards average four point two or toe Ezekiel elliott I rushing attempts nineteen yards average three point eight a tote ceedee Lamb had three carries for eight yards two point seven, Lipkey two carries eight yards, and then Dak two carries minus one, so they really didn't count there, but a total of twenty five carries for eighty yards, averaging three and a half.
Speaker 3: You talk about how do you split up the reps?
Speaker 2: Here hekma so Rico's got double what Elliott's got, and he's got a lot more than Lifkey. How would you like to see them divided up? Looking at the twenty three carries versus twenty seven attempts passing Ford.
Speaker 4: Now I'm with Bury on this.
Speaker 6: I really do feel as though you have to lean on one of these guys over another bell cow, whatever you want to call it, give him an opportunity to get into some type of rhythm, and so at least you can discern as you go through the season how these guys are giving you productive being in that role, You're not going to get the best out of any of these guys. Continue to switch up the time that they're getting all right. First down, you come in with zig Z gets you two yards, You yank him. You bring in another guy, he only gets you three yards, You yank him. Next thing, you in a third and five, you know, and it's just you're in a perpetual nightmare. I feel like on offense, and I think that's the one thing that people are really tired of. When it comes down to the offense that you had last season to the ones you have this season, they just it gets stagnant at times and at times. So look, I don't want to change our spots going into this game. You asked the question about who can take the top off of this take the top off of still his defense. I think you have some guys that can do it. That's why I say, Kevan Turpin, do you give him an opportunity to be at least in a decoy row, you know, just hall ass fast as you can, you know, and make them turn and run with you and then run somebody underneath it. But that's why I feel like you know Dak is just in that situation.
Speaker 4: Where go route on one.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 6: I mean, but you have that's what you have not gotten from in this offense.
Speaker 2: So let me go back to this, and we're talking about just the rushing totals. So I laid out the Giants. This is what was done against Baltimore. So we're starting to see a trend here. Okay, Baltimore, they only had sixteen rushes here because I the game got away from a versus the fifty one attempts. But it was Dawdle eight carries for thirty two yards. Dak had two for seven, Elliott had three carries for six, Duvon had two carries for five yards, and then Turpin had one carry. So we're seeing Donnell's doubling up yep Ezekiel Ellie. So we see what the trend is. So if he's getting double right now, you want to see more than that. So eight for thirty two, why not give him sixteen?
Speaker 3: You know? Why not? You know, take some of these other other reps from these other running maxims.
Speaker 2: And let them get a laugh going. But keep in mind, now, if the Baltimore game got away for you got a way. So you weren't able to run him, but still in sixteen carries he had eight of them, and so Daddle with eight versus three for Elliott one and two for Valling. So we're seeing already he's doubling up Zeke. Yeah, so you want to see more. That's what I'm trying to ask the question you're you're is that not enough? Because I said, I look at two games here and I'm seeing a trend already where they moved to Rico and they're doubling up what he's getting versus.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would love to see more from Rico and just let him be that established back and then also what I want to see. You know, Mike McCarthy did a great job last year when it came to play calling creativity. You got a guy in turping back there who can be that spark play like you.
Speaker 4: Know he was.
Speaker 5: Line him up in the backfield, get him some of that that flavor where we talk about maybe it's a fourth and one, you fake the lifty and you throw a flip to turpin something to get some type of juice out of this run game. You know, it can't just be you know, Iso here Io there, power here, Power there. You gotta stretch out the defense as well, and you may not have that in the back for as far as explosiveness, but you can bring a guy like Turpin in who wants the balls in his hands. He can become that explosive back And it's not like you have to do it, you know, eight or ten times a game. If you sprinkle it in here too, three times a game, it'll keep that defense honest. So I'm just trying to find that creative ways to get this run game going because right now that's you know, in the backfield, it's just left a lot to be desired. Yeah, we ain't just get here to the point where we needed a playmaker.
Speaker 4: We've been We've been saying this for a while.
Speaker 6: It's CD and you got a flashlight out looking for other guys to me and maybes right, and it's not even close.
Speaker 3: So guess.
Speaker 6: It's glad as night and the Pips. Who's who's your backup there?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: We need we need some guys here. And it's not look I've been calling for Ferd. I've been saying it. Look for take the next step, be that dominant piece. You look at other team, look around the NFL and see the way that they're using that the tight ends. It's gonna be the same in Pittsburgh. I mean, for fields, he's gonna have to rely heavily on his tight ends because you know, he likes it if he can't run, the line of sight for him and his reads is gonna be pickings and his tight end.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 4: That's that's all they're gonna do.
Speaker 6: And so in this case, while we're looking around saying, who's gonna be that next guy because he can't just all be on CD. Look you come into some games where hell, that's all you got. You know, let's trying to catfish ourself. You know, look that's all we got and CD has got to come out there.
Speaker 4: What's wrong with that?
Speaker 6: By saying, look that the chips are down, it's third and nine, and you know the ball is going to CD and he double team. You're paying him thirty four million dollars. You look at the top echelon of the wide receivers in the league. Everybody knows where you're going with the ball. CD, do the damn thing. Come on, sometimes you got to I mean, it's going on now, come on now, I mean, and you have played against those players over and over again that you see, like, man, look when the chips are down, they're gonna ride this guy right here, and we gotta be ready for it.
Speaker 4: And then you're get in the game and you still can't stop it.
Speaker 2: I think when you spoke about Turpin, there could be something there going back to what just based off what Nate said, get the ball out quick. If you're gonna get out quick, kid like Turpin made a living on that at TCU. Just let's get it to him, hit him and let him make a move and see what else you can do. This is one where you have to see the creativity of Mike McCarthy this week.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, this is all.
Speaker 2: This This is where coaching comes in. They've got they got some clear warts. How do you cover up the warts this week?
Speaker 6: But it's a big difference between creativity and cute.
Speaker 4: Don't get cute?
Speaker 3: Okay, So give an example of that.
Speaker 6: I mean, I would think, like, man, a double reverse, you know, it's don't get cute, that that would be getting cute. I love fleet flickers, so I'm not gonna even say don't do a fleet flicker. If it work, work all right, But but just something too ultra creative, you know what I mean. Just look, if you're gonna run your power game with Liptya and like it. I like the way it works, and I feel like rico' dado even is productive in that power game.
Speaker 3: You know, keep it in front of you.
Speaker 6: Don't try and get first of all, like you, like you were saying, first and second down is so important. And if you don't give the people in the back of the explanation, they don't know, you know, verse and second, so you can come up on third and short. You know, don't make this work harder than your need to make it. And so that's why the cowboys right now, they've been throwing a ton on first down if you haven't noticed, you know, And so that's what kind of gets them into those pickles on third and long. And you're like, damn that gonna have to pull a rabbit out of his hat in order to move these changs. Just we can't have this situation, and we damn sure can't have it on the road.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get a break, our final break when we come back.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna give you a number.
Speaker 2: That the last two games could be omnimous scary.
Speaker 3: It is spooky season?
Speaker 2: Is that that they have to change on Sunday? If not, it's gonna be a national rut roll for the Cowboys. You don't want because we've seen ask Uncle Wade about the national rut roll man, what happened to you do that? Next with heck Mar Harrison Barry Church on New Restructs Players, I brought you by Aristocrat Gaming on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 4: Hey Danny mccrane here for Smoothie King.
Speaker 7: You know every great workout deserves a great reward, so treat yourself right with new coconut smoothie bowls made with real fruit, crunchy purely Elizabeth Granola, creamy coconut, and top with the chocolate, hazel nut or honey drizzle with two new flavors. It's perfect for you and the workout buddy, so you both can stay on track even after you leave the track. Scoop up new coconut smoothie bowls only at Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to at and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramping cold. That's where Yetti's insulated colster cane cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetti Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com. Check it out today. Yetti official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 13: To kick off the twenty twenty four NFL season, Boss teamed up with the Cowboys and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection. The Boss Cowboys Collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Arriving just in time for the start of the season, the distinctive attire from the latest Boss Cowboys expansion offers sports officionados and true bosses the chance to show their team spirit and style. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash hugo, Boss Hugo, Boss dot Com and Boss retail stores hashtag be your Own Boss.
Speaker 11: Raisin Caines presents the Other Rules of Football Rule one, any broadcast without the express edition of cook to order Canes chicken fingers is prohibited. Rule twelve no crinkle cutfries, Texas toast or cravable cane sauce constitutes an illegal formation. And Rule thirty one, anybody who loves to feed their game face is an eligible receiver of Caines when it comes to winning game day. Caine's rules raising Cane's chicken fingers One love go Cowboys.
Speaker 4: To the players.
Speaker 6: Loune head to AT and T Stadium to experience rally Days. Vis anybody seat geek on Saturday, October twelve from ten am to two pm getting ready to cheer on You're Dallas Cowboys with tours of AT and T Stadium, autographs from the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders, ticket giveaways.
Speaker 4: Games, and more. Visit att stadium.
Speaker 6: Dot com slash Rally Days to get your tickets to day. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, I will be a part of that.
Speaker 3: He won't stop that, heck won't stop say.
Speaker 4: Let's say, I won't you like.
Speaker 3: Going to Pittsburgh were.
Speaker 14: No, I'm a warrior, No, mister, it's a tough crowd.
Speaker 4: To crowd here now, Oh man, that's.
Speaker 2: Ugly final segment of the players left run to you by Aristocrat Gaming. All right, guys, gonna give you two numbers from the last two games that are scary and the Cowboys need to change this and one reason.
Speaker 3: Why Nate talked about running the football.
Speaker 2: Baltimore held the ball against the Cowboys for thirty four minutes and forty five seconds.
Speaker 3: They had four scoring drives. All four of those scoring drives were touchdowns. Wow.
Speaker 2: Last week against the Giants, they held the ball for thirty five minutes and thirty seven seconds. They had five scoring drives, but they were all field goals. They've got to run the ball, heck, so you can keep the defense off the field. And this is a game where you had Tank Lawrence and Michael Parsons on the field, and they were on there for thirty five even when the.
Speaker 3: Cowboys were good.
Speaker 2: We've always said this defense isn't good enough to stay on the field for thirty five minutes.
Speaker 3: In fact, no good defense in the league can be out here for half the game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and most of the teams that you go up against they have those same figures, And what they're gonna do is try and mimic that exact same thing. Pittsburgh is from a division they call it the Black and Blue Division.
Speaker 4: This is just what they do.
Speaker 6: They run the ball and they can put generate and put these drives together. But what I saw from them in Atlanta is they'll do the same thing. They'll cap it off, but they'll get down there and they will kick a field goal.
Speaker 4: And so that's y'all didn't fall for the bait.
Speaker 6: But I was trying to ask the question about who they've gone up against, and do you know, do you say, in comparison, the Cowboys have had a tougher schedule, But I look, they're gonna come out and they're gonna try and do some of the things that you've already seen that the Giants do and also Baltimore do and the Saints do. But I just don't believe that Najie Harris is that kind of running back that can give you the kind of production that you got from Derrick Henry. I just don't. I don't think he is number forty one from the Saints. I don't think that they have an offensive line that can push you up front.
Speaker 3: Like that either.
Speaker 6: But I don't think our defensive line is rap tight and put together well either. So at the first quarter of the season, I'm looking at this defense and saying, obviously, without tank, without the bazooka, without all the things that you know you're gonna have, and what you're missing on offense, man, this is one where you have to stand up and stop the run. It's got to be about pride in this game, because if the Steelers can get a running game going where we look up at the end of the night, Najie Harris has one hundred and twenty yards, this is a nightmare style of a game for the Dallas Cowboy.
Speaker 3: It'd be ugly if if he has those type of numbers.
Speaker 4: And I'm not so sure.
Speaker 5: You know what Warren's status is the backup running back to the Nagie. But they got that kind of one two punch lightning, lightning and thunder type deal. But when you look at the Steelers offensive coordinator, I believe it's Arthur Smith. If I'm not, Yeah, Robert Falcons coach exactly, and you know exactly what he loves to do, and that's run the football.
Speaker 4: They're gonna give.
Speaker 5: You so many different type of varia or variations of the run game. You gonna see the power this way, but this time they might bring the center instead, they might bring the guard. And to me, what worries me is, you have a young defensive line without the tank, without Parsons. You got a young defensive line who I'm not so short. They're gonna be reading all the right keys. You know what we're gonna be thinking, gottaet a field. I gotta get up field. And that's exactly what the hero that's hero ball. And when you look at Arthur Smith, he has one of the most complex run systems that there is in the National Football League.
Speaker 3: And we saw that with the Saints the same situation.
Speaker 6: Okay, wait a minute, now, Arthur Smith's offense and you from the Burg, so you you hear about how people from the Burg complain about his offense. It has the creativity as of a brick sometimes passing the football.
Speaker 14: Okay, okay, you ain't gonna you ain't gonna put up big chunk, explosive your ages.
Speaker 3: You ain't gonna get that. But the run game.
Speaker 6: But there's certain things, there's certain things with certain teams that you should expect. I mean, when you go to Pittsburgh, you should expect the defense in the run game, and that's that's why author Smith is there. But I'm just like, look, there's a lot to be desired that he leaves on the table, and I don't I don't buy any means when I do a comparison between what we've seen and what we're gonna go up against them, that that doesn't wild me. I mean, even with looking at New Orleans, I'm like, they when we evaluated it was against the Panthers, they were like, man, they roll the Panthers, they can't do that to us. Well, they came and did the same thing and some right, and the same thing that I'm saying with Baltimore. So that's what I'm saying, Like with the pieces that they have on the offensive line, I just don't I'm hoping that we don't get rolled the same way because I just don't feel like they have the same strength up front.
Speaker 2: So looking here, just at the statistical comparisons, the Steelers are averaging one hundred and twenty nine yards a game on the ground, that's tenth in the league. But their scoring is eighteen point eight, so nineteen again.
Speaker 3: So they're not going to score a whole lot.
Speaker 2: They'll run the ball, they're not scoring a lot kind of going with you said, Heck, kicking field goals justin fields can keep you at a football game.
Speaker 3: With some of the mistakes he made, they can't beat themselves.
Speaker 2: This becomes one of those I think about Bill Belichick and the Patriots where they would do a good job of, hey, we're not gonna beat ourselves. And if the Cowboys can eliminate some of that, which means no holding penalties, false starts, illegal motion, the things that the drive killers that they have as there when you look at the penalties there, they got thirty two penalties this year, tied for sixth in the league. They can cut that down. This looks like it could be a low scoring game and get it to the fourth quarter.
Speaker 5: And I'm sure we're going to dive into this a little bit later this week. But you know, the numbers were talking about and defensively holding them, the field goals and all that.
Speaker 3: That's when we were at full strength.
Speaker 5: You're missing Parsons, you're missing Tank Lawrence, You're missing may possibly Carson on the outside as a corner. You know, Dale Jones went out there last week and played a hell of a game against this defense. You know they weren't able to finish it off in the red zone, but you just put off the number thirty five minutes of time in possession.
Speaker 3: That means he was driving the football in between the.
Speaker 4: Twenties, and I get it.
Speaker 5: You know it was great red zone defense, but you also had Parsonston Tank Lawrence in that red zone defense. Now you bringing up some guys from the practice squad. You know, the only blue chipper, like we like to say, is maybe digs on the outside against the run. So to me, it's kind of like, man, you know, I know Pittsburgh's offensive line may be weak, but do we have the defensive line to take advantage of it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I don't know. No, this is that's what I worry about.
Speaker 6: But I'm also with Nui when he says Justin Fields will give you an opportunity, Because he will, he still makes those rookie style mistakes. You have to generate some type of turnover and you also have to generate some type of pressure. He can't just sit back there and be able to pat the ball. But even if he does, can he read it, is what I'm saying, And that's where he has some problems not to you know, be condescending about him and his athletic ability, because I do believe when things break down, he's the best. You know, he's one of those guys guys that can make you pay. But I trust our secondary against a guy like friar Mouth.
Speaker 3: You know what makes you.
Speaker 5: Say that, Like, what time proof and consistency do you have that our secondary can can hold it down?
Speaker 6: Because I don't, you know, in retrospect or when you think about some of the tight ends that they have. He's not amongst the top tier guys. I don't expect him to run away from you if it is it's short. I don't expect for friar Mouth to beat you over the top. If he does, then obviously I'll be proven to be a liar in that situation.
Speaker 4: But I just feel as though you should.
Speaker 6: I feel like my linebacker should be able to compete in that situation versus my safeties.
Speaker 2: I'm not looking for friar to get seven catches and ninety yards, but he's the kind of guy who could get four catches one or two of those first down exactly, And if Donovan Wilson or somebody can't make a right and make a tackle, be one of where he gets into the end zone. And if you're only scoring nineteen in a game, you just need they're looking for two touchdowns. They're looking for two touchdowns, a couple of field goals, and then they're good. And so that's what scares me about that is Fields is a boom bust player in terms of, hey, he's going to hit a big one. He'll make a big play.
Speaker 3: He'll make a screw up too. But that's that thing of just Daniel Jones could never hit that boom play.
Speaker 2: That's why you got the field goals. Yes, Fields, that's where he's different. He'll hit you with a boom play, so you pick do something crazy fumbling the ball, but he will give you that. That's the thing for me where I'm like, man, you can't beat yourself cowboys, you've got the hooker, can't get out here, can't fall for the old, the old, give them gold. I mean, you know it went on the fourth down play with singletaryes in the back to Donovan missed attacking.
Speaker 3: You can't do this. You've got you got. I mean, this is one where Nate talked about. I'll go back to what Nates. You got to rout the troops.
Speaker 2: Man, this this has to be a collective win where everybody is doing their thing and not beating themselves.
Speaker 6: I mean everything that y'all saying and what I'm positioning in this as especially with what I've seen from them, I just don't like when we went into the Baltimore game, we were talking about Baltimore's tight ends because they're really, really really you know, and so and I'm not and not to and not disrespected for our move either. I just don't see him in the same capacity. Is that when it comes down to George Pickens. I mean talk about a matchup of the devil receivers. I mean George Pickens and CD Lamp. George Pickens is a guy that if you frustrate him early, he'll be a you know, he'll be on the sideline pouting and you know he'll pack it up take his ball home too.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: So that's why I'm saying, like, this defense has an opportunity to not just frustrate these guys. You know, if it's gonna be a close game, it's gonna be a fourth quarter game, it's gonna be who has the ball last kind of game.
Speaker 3: Thank Harrison, my man, appreciate you, yes, very church appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Have new he Scrugs Players Lounge thanks to Josh Chris Jazz. Everybody's a part of Chris and We'll talk to you tomorrow two pm Central Time.
Speaker 3: Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club