Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Danny McCrae, Hecma Harrison and New.
Speaker 3: He shrugs, plays lounge here we are playoff week Wildcard Super Wildcard coming your way this Sunday at at and T Stadium as Dallas Cowboys take on the.
Speaker 4: Green Bay Packers.
Speaker 3: Players Lounge is Danny craig, Heckmarrison, Barry Church, I am New, he scrugs.
Speaker 4: Lots to get.
Speaker 3: To today here as the Cowboys are a seven point fa going into this concept.
Speaker 4: Yes, mister Church, is that too much?
Speaker 5: A little much? Not a little much? Even you studied that's a little much. I don't know what y'all thinking about that, but seven Look, I think we.
Speaker 6: Were right on board when you not not. They finished nine and eight statistical categories. I think the quarterback kind of he raised some of my brows with his numbers. Six weeks even bothering he has been hey, what's your what's your word? Simple sample size take a simple size of the career Yeah, he's been balling at me. He's had an incredible last six games. But you know, look out right now, I'm not even because you know that that that could change between now and Saturday seven.
Speaker 2: I think, uh, in the playoffs, I think we win. I think we I think we win by more than something.
Speaker 6: Oh, to be honest, the only fear that you know, it's every week is the running game.
Speaker 2: For me is always the running game.
Speaker 5: I've really got to think the ground game that's really that's going to defense?
Speaker 6: Do we have the same guy, that same running back that they had last they changed?
Speaker 2: Anybody still got Jones? And uh?
Speaker 5: They But if we look at if we look at the season this year, like we just look at it absolutely what games outside of Buffalo and look Arizona really really did the Cowboys get ran on to where it was like, man, that's the reason they lost outside of those two games.
Speaker 6: No, it's more of it's more of our offense. To me now is is it's almost fifty to fifty right, And if you're not able to get off the field on defense or get those turnovers in those situations where teams are running the football on you. We talked about Philadelphia where a lot of their turnovers. Those were in positions where Jalen Hursts is getting twenty yard runs or swift whoever it is. And that's the same thing that happens in most other weeks. And we don't come here and say, oh man, we did well stop in the run. We're like, you know what, we were opportunistic and we got some big time turnovers. The time you face the team and they don't give you those turnovers and they're able to run the football, which I don't know what Detroit was doing when they stopped running the football own us, But once you see a team that doesn't do that, then that's when you have an issue. So that's what makes me a little nervous and my headphones are going crazy. Yeah, I don't that's the thing for me. I'm in the same vein with what Danny said. It's just been times over the season where you've seen him not be able to get off the field and there's those third and lungs and they give up a long run to get a first down. So that's the only thing that concerns me. And I think I'm putting the importance for everybody where it needs to be on the running game. I know Aaron joneson have the numbers. He doesn't look anything like the running back that we faced before. But Dad Quinn's defense, for all of its feelings and warts, the running game has been a part of that. And look, if you can mitigate this running game and not even make that an option, you make a young quarterback like Love look look average. And Aaron Jones was out. He was out a few weeks this season so hadn't really been healthy. But we know what happens when the playoffs come around.
Speaker 2: It gets a little different than AJ and A Dylan. He's a bruiser.
Speaker 6: Nah, I don't want to overplay it, but yeah, end of the season, the Packers, they look like a different team. Our Achilles Hill for the last few years in the playoffs have been the run game. And thankfully we get tested with a you know, they decent enough for us to say, okay, we need to carry this into into the next game and further into the playoffs, so we can really have that type of confidence.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's gonna be a test.
Speaker 5: So if it was up to y'all real quick, so it was up to the y'all, would y'all would have it if you get you know, one way or the other. Stopping to run is the up and forth like that's that's it, Like we got to stop the run. You know, they can have explosives in the passing game, but I'd rather contain to run than contain the explosives.
Speaker 6: I would rather us be able to contain and run and put put the entirety of the game in the Green.
Speaker 2: Bay Packers passing game.
Speaker 6: I don't think Jordan loves played that outstanding to where our playoffs rush doesn't doesn't get to him. And then also, hey, Gilly said he's gonna be okay, you know whateverdron Bland. You go to the honey hold too many times before you know what, you got to pick six, Like, I would rather play that game versus the six and seven yards.
Speaker 2: Of carry game.
Speaker 6: Make them one dimensional, That's that's it. Make them one dimensional. And we see what ails us and it's been it's been the running game. But we know what they got over there, Romeo Dodds, Christian they got some stuff.
Speaker 2: They got some stuff.
Speaker 6: I'm not I'm not saying that the running game is the end all of be all, because there's a whole other dimension of their offense. I'm sure we're going to hold on. But Church that the things you're worried about the secondary of the Cowboys. Yeah, about our secondary more than more than the running game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, oh clear? Oh yeah, Like is it because Gilly is or even with a healthy Gilly healthy Killy?
Speaker 5: You know, I'm not It's not to me. It's not Gilmore, that's necessarily. I'm worried Abot because I feel like he's a you know, technician, He'll get the job done. My thing is, what's been kind of an Achilles hill for this defense, if you say, outside of the run, has been a quarterback back and by time you know, to get you know, kind of step away from the rush, can kind of get outside the pocket while also looking downfield to make these throws.
Speaker 2: I mean, we look at it.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna put Josh Allen in there because he only threw the ball, what fifteen times in that game, but you got Hurts.
Speaker 2: That first goal around.
Speaker 5: You had Josh Dobbs shoot Geno Smith, and that's who kind of this guy reminds me a little bit of a Gino Smith, where he's not gonna he's not gonna just you know, bend the corner and outrun you like a Dobbs.
Speaker 2: But he has enough athleticism to extend the play. And we saw what.
Speaker 5: Those receivers were able to do when they got a little bit of time back there. The rush wasn't getting after Geno Smith. He was able to pick apart this defense because he was using his athleticism to buy time for those guys to extend the players and get deep. And that's what kind of worries me with this this love matchup, Like if he's able to buy some times, they got the weapons on the outside that can it can expose a secondary you know, nothing against you know, Gilmore Bland or nothing like that, but we all know it's hard to cover in his league, you know, for for a little for extra time. So if you got a quarterback to bad time, it presents a problem.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: I guess on the flip side of that, and you put your worry in the right place. But I think this defense as as far as our front, as far as pursuing the quarterback, I put a lot of trust in them now this point in the season, being able to hunt the quarterback down. Jordan loves compared Harrison to Dak Prescott and how he uses his legs to get out of the pocket to find you know, the scrambling, scramble drill, things like that. I've seen them do a lot of that over this last six games of him just creating and adding to plays. But he he doesn't give me like that Dobs like, man, he gonna see the play, gonna burn or someone They give me that Jalen hurts feeling like not the touch push, but you know what I mean, he doesn't give me that same word that I'm worried when we get down past fifty yards, Jalen Hurt's gonna take it to the household since we.
Speaker 2: All we all in couple one, you know.
Speaker 6: So I just want to be be clear that I feel like when we stopped the run, we can then play our game and then we could come in our ears back and come out to quote.
Speaker 2: What is it, Danny, because I wanted to get.
Speaker 6: Newies taken on there because I'm like, like you listen, if we're gonna lose the game, I want to lose it because hey man, our pass Russ didn't get there. Micaeh and d Ware, I mean d Lay and all those guys versus you know, Damona Clark and Bill and them, couldn't fit the gaps and all that stuff like that. We come in here on Monday and we say pass rush didn't show up. George Love called it through fifty times and we couldn't figure out the way to stop him. I'm sitting there, I'm saying, you know what, that surprised me because that, to me, that is the strength of our defense being able to rest the pass. So that's when they were talking about historically great. When we came into the season, it was sacks here and sacks there and they only got a half a second to throw and all that. If we somehow get away from that in the playoffs, then that is, to me, that's an anomaly, and I don't expect that to happen. But the ring game, that's somewhere every game, no matter who it is.
Speaker 2: I'm sitting there.
Speaker 6: Saying, hey, we got to get something figured out because that team is going to do what the last team did and they gonna try to run the football.
Speaker 3: I asked Dan Quinn about the running game and the fact that they played them two years ago up there in Lambo, and that was another game where you talked about Josh Allen I throwing a whole lot there. Rogers might have had fourteen passes before they went in over time me they ran that ball. And he spoke about what makes the offense good for Green Bays their ability to play action pass, you know, use the run and set up and throw the ball. That there's something to be worried about here. So I think you're correct that Matt Lafleur would be wise to look at the Arizona tape to say how.
Speaker 4: Do we run the ball?
Speaker 3: And then how do I tell my quarterback if you see something, go get yourself six seven, eight right here and keep the chains moving. So this is going to be a game where Cowboys defense is going to have to be good. And I'll say this for Dan Quinn is a defensive coordinator. The Cowboys defense has been good in the playoffs. It's been the offense that has not been able to score the points and the losses. We saw what they did last year at Tampa Bay to Tom Brady, they couldn't run it and they got after him. And so the Cowboys offense was able to get points early and the game got away from Tampa Bays, but Green Bay rookie quarterback, if you're Matt lafleur, help your quarterback by running the football and try to lessen the moment as much as you can and tell them, hey, man, if it's third and seven and you see you see something, go go get don't be afraid to go get it.
Speaker 4: So this is this is what you.
Speaker 2: Thinking about the seven? The spread? You think that's that's kind of on point.
Speaker 3: I think it's on point considering how well Dallas has played at home and this team is dominated home.
Speaker 4: So I don't have an issue with the seven. It's how do you get there?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: Is this is this a game.
Speaker 3: Where you come out and the offense goes and you make them play catch up for you shit around here like like we saw last week.
Speaker 4: You're playing around and in the first.
Speaker 6: Quarter trying to give everybody trying to get me get told, but let me get galloped, let me get all the guys up. And then then you finally switch back into and give CD and Cooks and Fergus and you know what they deserve, a man, give.
Speaker 2: It and it's gonna be the game right here.
Speaker 6: Set I said seventy five and thirty for Tony Poula, this is around.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be it right here. That's the last that's the last.
Speaker 5: Thing you know, this defense or this team wants to do is make it a game in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: I mean, because you look at it.
Speaker 5: That's basically what the Packers have been able to do these last six seven weeks, the riding on confidence. And to me, if you're able to extinguish that confidence early in the game, you got it, Like you said a young quarterback his first time in the playoffs, I think you'll be able to kind of collapse their their their confidence as a team. But if this thing gets in the fourth quarter and it's a tight one, you know, Jordan Loves I'm here, I've arrived.
Speaker 6: And oh, by the way, Churches Church has been saying this for a while, if they need three, can't stop them, they need seven.
Speaker 2: We definitely don't want that.
Speaker 6: What we haven't been able to do that at the end of the game, you know, in December, and that just done Bowl well for a tight game.
Speaker 2: So hopefully that seven point spread is hopefully eight.
Speaker 6: What you need, though, what you need is for your offense then to come out and ball. And it's the last six games. This same packing squad that we're talking about. They lost to the Giants, they lost to Tampa Bay two. Right, they had a real close game with the Carolina Panthers. So I mean, when you do your evaluation on them, I'm not trying to minimize who they are. They to the playoffs, like you know, they captured the seventh seed. They are a dangerous team and we got to beware of them. But at the same time, we just got to play our game. There's no pressure. Look, there's really no pressure on us. We're at home. Come out and play your game. Don't you gotta play tense like you did last week. You have to know that that team was like we got it. Not only you clock watching, we got to get the second seed. But once they fell into that game, dog, everything opened up and they have to play like this, and I think that's what gives them the advantage home.
Speaker 2: I think there's more pressure on Green Bay in his game than there is.
Speaker 6: Dallas House money House, and I think and I think people say that, but I mean knew he just called Jordan Love a rookie quarterback.
Speaker 2: He's not a rookie.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's been in the league for a while, But the truth is he's never been in a situation like this. Let's let's give let's give that credit for the amount of playoff wins that he has, the amount of times he's been in the playoffs, and also the fact that as far as leadership is concerned, Mike has been here. So I mean to me, if you come out of your tense and you play tight, then that would take me off more than anything.
Speaker 2: If they didn't come out and play they're at home.
Speaker 6: This is what you played to get the tech and seed second seed four was to be able to come home and put your foot on them.
Speaker 3: The Green Bay Packers were not expected to make the playoffs. When you thought I picked Detroit to win the division, I think most people had Minnesota being the second best team in that division, and then you know Green.
Speaker 4: Bay and Chicago fighting it out.
Speaker 2: From there.
Speaker 3: You moved on from Aaron Rodgers. We didn't know what to expect from Jordan Love. The bar was was average, it best in expectations. This guy finished second, finished second in the league and touchdown passes. If they lose this game, yeah, everybody's gonna say, hey, good job, good job. Cowboys lose this game. Everybody's gonna say same old one like this. You're like, it's it's bad. So the pressure pressures on the Cowboys because they're expected to win.
Speaker 4: And if you look at who loses.
Speaker 3: Who's gonna get all the black Cowboys gonna get all the Packers lose, be no blame.
Speaker 4: Hey, nice job.
Speaker 2: The sky is gonna fall, so it's going down there.
Speaker 6: We might get we might be out of here. It's been it's been pressure. It's been pressure every week. It's been pressure every week on this team. It's been you can't win on the road, you can't. You can't beat the team with a with a playoff team, it's you. It's been a narrative each and every week. They finished twelve and five. They got the NFC eason. Not that's not the end all, the be all, but you play to get yourself to home field.
Speaker 2: You got that.
Speaker 6: Now they come out and slap these folks. I mean, it's not what's where's the pressure in that? We understand if you lose, the sky's falling, all of that, But you're good enough to get here and beat the second seed.
Speaker 2: Play life it So what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: I hear you know, I mean it doesn't make for a good show if you're confident, you know, let's worry.
Speaker 7: First quarter.
Speaker 2: We're not worried, but let's worry. We talked.
Speaker 6: We talked this last week and the commanders and they came out here. People can say whatever they want to you. I was sitting there like, here we go.
Speaker 2: Here it is. We're gonna make it. We're gonna make it closer than it needs to be.
Speaker 6: And that's how the game started off on the road where you say you can't win on the road, and no, by the way, we did go in the row two times in the row. We lost those games. So the pressure in those situations it was on. It was like, hey, well you're right, team say that. Everybody believes that we cannot go on the road against a good team and win. We didn't do it. So now the pressure is not just this year. It's coming from last year and the year before where you went twelve and five both those years and you still didn't find a way to get it done in the playoffs. That's why this is why Dak Prescott done not because he feels pressure, but this is why he doesn't put on the NFC each championship thing because he knows that the old is to get further than you had gotten in the previous two years, because they're saying you can't get over the hump. So it's not pressure, but it's like, hey, man, expect they know what the expectation is. He knows and and I think I think Dak is one of those people who operates very well most of the times under pressure. So I think he's embracing.
Speaker 4: It with that field goal.
Speaker 2: Guy blood.
Speaker 3: You know that Shannon sharp Jiffre. He's like, that's right, that's what I'm sitting.
Speaker 4: There looking at.
Speaker 3: Really, this is what your biggest game of the year, and we know how well Brandon Aubrey has been kicking.
Speaker 6: And he's like, I was more upset that that's how, that's how, that's how I got messed up from him.
Speaker 4: And luckily, you know on.
Speaker 3: The radio broadcast, Bab's gonna be touchdown and lucky didn't happen.
Speaker 4: But really, this game of the year, this, this is what we're doing.
Speaker 2: You're just running through there, you know.
Speaker 6: But I was more upset about Greg Osen going on a rant about now Brandon they's going to be in his head about Yeah, come on, man, they always trying to sell us some kind.
Speaker 2: Of fear like and he drk the next one.
Speaker 6: Better hurry up and get him down there to kick another one, because oh my god, there's a curse on Brandon Aubrey.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, no, I think.
Speaker 6: Okay, then when he nailed the fifty, henailed at fifty, you're like, oh.
Speaker 3: Mike McCarthy did say yesterday he wanted him to get He wanted Aubrey to get in there and get another kick to go into the to go into this game. So so yeah, yeah, I mean Olson said it, but Mike went out there yesterday and basically, yeah, we want to make sure he gets right, feel good, right, feel.
Speaker 2: Good kicking home this time? He all right, a right, he missed one at home.
Speaker 4: We're not This is not Brett ma.
Speaker 2: That had a lot to do with that. Couldn't Brent.
Speaker 3: Carrying on last year's last last season's uh bat mojo at at the end here. But this is what the Cowboys wanted and the expectations are. You need to win these two games that you have lined up at at and T Stadium, win the wild card game, win the division.
Speaker 4: I was talking with Todd Archer Es Peter Todd's.
Speaker 3: Been here a long time, and Todd's like, you know what if McCarthy was brought here to take this team further, the Jason Garrett if he doesn't get them past the divisional round?
Speaker 4: Was he better than Jason and.
Speaker 2: Michael?
Speaker 4: This is this is what the expectation is.
Speaker 2: You had me, bro what you mean you.
Speaker 6: Had me fool when you listened all the teams they lost to and didnt it did not list off the teams they beat.
Speaker 2: He said, I told you the last six games who they lost.
Speaker 6: When do you.
Speaker 2: Started reading it? I was like, I looked at it too. I say that the Rams talking about I don't know when I looked at us.
Speaker 6: I promise you I expect to see like they lost all the good teams.
Speaker 2: Joy enjoy that they.
Speaker 6: Went to Detroit and we twelve and beat them, and then back though Day beat They beat them up on Thanksgiving Dame and they beat the Rams that we're talking about, you know, with that's a healthy Rams season beat true, this is what we know lost lost to the Raiders. This is this is a playoff team. This is a playoff team and the Washington Washington Commanders, and I'm so thankful were playing at home and not the five seed.
Speaker 2: I don't want them problem.
Speaker 3: This is a team two years ago went up there in the lambeau Field on fan base thought they were gonna lose. We assume we all picked the Cowboys win the game fourteen points and then they melted down in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 4: This is not an outfit to take lightly.
Speaker 3: Mike McCarthy in his last two games against the Cowboys, and he was coaching Green Bay, they won games.
Speaker 2: In which you thought the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Well, I said the Cowboys were in a position to win the games.
Speaker 4: Aaron Rodgers is not there, but still there is something about there.
Speaker 6: I mean, can't act like Aaron Rodgers didn't have something. But then all of a sudden, I mean, they run the game exploded.
Speaker 7: Everybody should be good.
Speaker 6: Can I ask you something? Can I ask you something? It's not that it's played out? Are you are you more?
Speaker 2: Did play?
Speaker 6: Are you happy that we are at home playing against the Green Bay Packers? Which first, because that's yeah, this what it should have been. This what it should have been. Right here, This this what it should have been right here. Thank you, thank you for bragging that tasty cake in here. Man, That's what it should have been the whole time a chocolate tasted. You don't want to He's listen. I'm okay. I know you are happy that we ended up getting the two ced versus the five because it played out and it was good.
Speaker 2: I know you happy. I know you're excited.
Speaker 4: It played out better than I thought.
Speaker 2: Think that's what and I'm glad you can. That's what I'm talking.
Speaker 4: Well, say that money as money, and man, you can sit the man.
Speaker 2: Comment he gonna choke on.
Speaker 8: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 6: I'm Danny mccraig, Dallas Cowboys. I'm not player here with Smoothie King and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound. That's the sound of us magically transforming our smoothi bows into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool Iie or Pataya bowl, handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Rinola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle, perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want to munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors, only at Smoothie King, the official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bold, unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own boss.
Speaker 10: There is no I in Dallas. There is no eye in heart, either no eye in blue star or a lone star for that matter, and there's no eye in how about them cowboys Smearnough knows there's no eye in football. Football is a wee thing, an experience that is best enjoyed together with good drinks and good folks.
Speaker 2: Home or away.
Speaker 10: We rally together, we cry together, and we always rally cry together because there's definitely no eye in cowboys. Fans smear enough we do game days. Please drink responsibly.
Speaker 1: Back to the Players Lounge.
Speaker 6: Sean Polite is your twenty twenty three Cowboy Fan of the Year, and now he needs your help. Vote for Sean to be given the ultimate title of NFL Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan by casting your vote at NFL dot com slash Fan of the Year. Flawless, So Fresh, and I've got to Players Lounge talk to you by Tostitos.
Speaker 2: I guess what, Guess what y'all been having?
Speaker 6: I've been doing so good at these voice holds that they called me for the stadium to voice a spot for the games.
Speaker 2: Makes y'all say, snow Bird, snow Bird.
Speaker 4: I am get your copy here at stadium.
Speaker 6: Don't let I got you're gonna give you one of tequila.
Speaker 7: Reed.
Speaker 2: I believe you stop. Chris can't help me.
Speaker 3: Very church of the players of News Struggs God Boys getting ready to face the Green Bay Packers. More firings today in the National Football League, Tennessee is fired head coach Mike Rabel, who had.
Speaker 4: Two years left garbage.
Speaker 3: And you know, I'm trying to understand how you can lose your job with those quarterbacks he had. I mean this this man was Tannehill had a crazy contract. Believe he had the highest cap hit of any quarterback in the league. This year, they drafted Will Levis. Okay, you drafted old boy from Liberty third round.
Speaker 2: That guy Leak's not that guy.
Speaker 3: Blame Gaber apparently used to play some games out there, Derrick Henry out here slowed down.
Speaker 2: I mean, guy.
Speaker 4: Taking a goal.
Speaker 3: I mean at some point in times like how you know you want to fire a guy. How much did you help him? You know, they did go down to Miami and win a game with Will Levis, and I'm just I think he's a good coach. You guys made differently. I think it's a good football coach. All I can say to the folks down in Tennessee is it can't get worse.
Speaker 2: Probably will before it get better. Wasn't he competing for the SC championship like he was the coach of the year. Wasn't years ago?
Speaker 4: So so that's that's wild.
Speaker 3: You know, you're gonna go ahead and and blow out him because they're six and eleven.
Speaker 4: This year finished in last place.
Speaker 3: There's some rumblings that apparently he disagreed with some of the direction and wanted some more input in personnel.
Speaker 2: He was trying to get out of it.
Speaker 3: And now that Tennessee has one of these, they wanted to be collaborative. That's this kind of thing, now, you know San Francisco, for let's be collaborative and our decision making collaboration got you Trey Lance.
Speaker 2: They got lucky with parties. That was all up right.
Speaker 4: So I mean, this whole collaboration thing.
Speaker 11: It's a cowboy you forgot.
Speaker 12: Filter right, Let's let's let's have a Trey Lance conversation. Okay, here's the thing about this conversation.
Speaker 2: They made it.
Speaker 4: They traded up. They traded up three picks Kyle Shanahan wanted Mac Jones.
Speaker 3: The collaboration talked the head coach out the player and they took Trey Lance. I had a guy who was a scout here with the Cowboys once told me he's like, man, worst thing you can do is draft players coaches don't like because front office people have ideas of what they like and coaches have what they want. When they decided to push the head coach who basically hired all of them because they hired Shanahan, he brought them, they basically talked him out of the guy he wanted.
Speaker 4: So now you're coaching Trey Lance and Shanahan has what he wants to do. Is kind of like when we watching with Russell Wilson Champayne.
Speaker 3: Russell Wilson doesn't do the things that Sean Payton wants.
Speaker 4: So what happened at the end there don't work out?
Speaker 3: Then they bring it back Jimmy g and they doing all that stuff, and then last year, despite having some some progress in the preseason, they made him number three.
Speaker 4: They were trying to get traded.
Speaker 6: You said, you said Shanahan wanted who Mac Jones, the one that in New England?
Speaker 2: Yes, So what is the comparison would have got yea.
Speaker 3: So the whole collaboration thing here, I don't think it works. I think what you need to do is ultimately have people who make decisions and everybody in the room don't need to have.
Speaker 2: A well what do you think there? We think we No, No, if.
Speaker 4: I'm the decision made, I'm a decider. George said, let the man be the decider. So that whole thing where they should have let Kyle Shanahan go.
Speaker 2: With his guy, No, no, no, that that makes sense.
Speaker 6: And I think look time proof of consistency at front offices and coaches making decisions on gods they won't versus scouting department. I think was it Rod Mayor Nelli a couple of years ago, picked Christian somebody I got it, the defensive alignment, trist then.
Speaker 2: Trician Hill, Tristan.
Speaker 6: Central Florida, Central Florida, and I mean everyone else wanted was not a starter at Central Florida. Then my point, it's just basically, you could fall in love with a guy that the organization doesn't want it just for any other reason, they will pick this guy, and if the guy didn't work, it goes against the coach and I mean, you've just seen that back and forth on in front offices over the years, and it's young Boom. There's another there's another example.
Speaker 3: Norm Chotty offensive coordinator, who was a b YU guy, dropped, you know, get under center, drop back, that was his thing. Matt Lioner, Carson pontm that was his thing. And then you had Jeff Fisher.
Speaker 4: They didn't want him. The owner, Bud Adams wanted him.
Speaker 3: And how did that go despite the fact he was Rookie of the Year, made the plassmate. Vince had an over five hundred winning percentage, but it never went that way. When Jeff Fisher finally could get his way and he pushed Vince out, That's what happens.
Speaker 6: Speaking of while we on it. While we on it, you know, a little seguey. The game came on last night National Championship game. Uh, the guy who got second in the Heisman voting, which is Michael Pennix, played last night and I'm watching the game and I'm thinking, I'm saying, you know, the teams that are sitting at the top right and they have that decision to make when they're trying to figure out who's gonna be their franchise guy, and you have what what three or four that are sitting at the top right there with think it's Drake Made, Kayler Williams, Jane Daniels and then Pennix.
Speaker 2: How do you make that decision both Knicks? Yeah over No, No, I'm not saying that I was, just I was.
Speaker 6: I haven't forgotten who Bo Knicks is. Okay, now people could get better.
Speaker 2: Get that.
Speaker 6: So when I'm listening to those four, because I'm listening those because I know, like, but the point is, how do.
Speaker 2: You make that decision?
Speaker 6: Because you're talking about Vice Young right where you say, all right, well we all knew that Vince Young was an amazing talent, but if you want the guy because you know he's going to be great, But the GM who's in that position is like, nah, I like somebody else. And then it fails, and I both to y'all field, now both of y'all getting fired, Like I can't, like, I can't imagine like how that goes. And then one how it feels because you sitting there as the head coach, like, I know I was right, but there's nothing I could do about it.
Speaker 2: Nothing I could do about it.
Speaker 4: It happens all across the league.
Speaker 3: One reason why the Panthers in situation they're in so Matt Rule when he was running the team decided to take J. C. Horn the corner the owner wanted Justin Field head coach who was running personnel, told him not, no, this is what we're gonna do.
Speaker 2: Owner was hot. Owner was hot.
Speaker 3: So last year the collaboration that the owner talks about and said he's the deciding vote. The rest of the guys apparently wanted C. J. Stroud, who the owner want, right, young.
Speaker 2: GM fired head coach.
Speaker 4: So that's why I just go to this whole. I don't believe in the collaboration. If I hire you to do the job, Danny, you my coach, you my GM.
Speaker 3: You know, we don't need thirteen people in the room trying to sit up here and make a decision.
Speaker 4: We come up with the No. What was the beauty of Jimmy Johnson was making decisions?
Speaker 6: Whereous one of these dudes is gonna be a bust. This guy is their top guy, right, They're gonna picked this guy to the top guy. The three years from now, we're gonna say, possibly you passed up one on this said person because you thought this one was going to be better, and that is that is the Kayler, William Drakes, Drake May Michael Pant like one of those is unfortunate because you know, most of the time that happens, one of those guys is gonna be sitting there saying, you know many you got us fired your bisky.
Speaker 2: They ask them on my homes, they passed them on Watson.
Speaker 6: It's a quarterback driven league, and you make a and unfortunately most of those teams at the top are driven by the decision to have a quarterback to take them. I mean, think about the Bengals and what happened to them. They bring on Joe Burrow and it's like that expands bring their whole program forward ten years because they get a good quarterback. Those teams believe that's difference in winning and losing. If we can get a guy the helm that we can get behind and build around. It's a need versus wont cowboys. For years, New England has been in a won't position to sit back and just get you f you're around the thirty, well, we're looking for a cornerbacks, linebackers, whatever, I just get to pick of the liver litter who's ever on my draft board, But you can't miss Joe.
Speaker 2: Is a unicorn, no in a way to me.
Speaker 3: I mean, here's a guy that comes with the National championship, arguably the most dominant team to ever win the thing.
Speaker 4: Then you've got a guy who is high sted Druking. I mean, this was like a no brainer. And by the way, he was from from Central Ohio. But when you start talking about like.
Speaker 3: That last year's draft where here's Bryce Young, some people are like, he ain't too short.
Speaker 4: Then you had CJ.
Speaker 3: Stroud, I think it get complicated, and this year I don't think it's really a complication at all.
Speaker 2: To me, it's Katelyn Williams. It really is.
Speaker 3: And in certain years it's kind of like, well, maybe you know the year Eli came out, you had Eli, you had Philip Rivers, you you had Ben Roethlisberger. It was kind of that situation where where do you go with I remember when Cam came out. Remember that Sports Illustrated cover. I know you guys don't read it, but he remember the Sports will trat it was Cam Newton, Blaine Gallart and Jake Locker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like which one? What do you mean? What are you talking.
Speaker 3: About right now, even though we saw Cam was a unicorn, but it was kind of like you know before, but now we see Lamar is all established. But people are like, no, we don't know about them dudes like him and Jerry Rich and my candle tattoos.
Speaker 6: And so I see Lamar type of guy in the draft right now. Sho Jaydon damees how many he liked that.
Speaker 2: I'm just see I see that type of guy in the draft right now.
Speaker 4: So you say that, and no sooner than that.
Speaker 3: Lady on Fox Sports Radio is talking about she Lamar Jackson, you want your quarterback to be quarterback? You're going to believe me. You're going to start to hear that church. And I remember the Ohio State playoff game and Justin Fields went up. I told you he was gonna drop. He told you. I was like, bro, I know this league has done it too many times. Lamar Jackson saw it. Sean Watson, we saw it. So I'm not saying he's gonna be the guy.
Speaker 4: But a black guy gonna drin.
Speaker 2: Drop.
Speaker 4: Somebody got it.
Speaker 2: Might be you.
Speaker 3: We saw Labar sitting in that room forever and ever, and I mean it. Then you know, God bless Lodgie make Sci Fi roll time. But he didn't even make him his first overall.
Speaker 2: In the first round. He took the tight end. Then he went back and.
Speaker 3: He said, I guess all you had the opportunity to take him here, but even you weren't. You weren't convinced. Every year it happens, man.
Speaker 2: Every year.
Speaker 6: But I mean time proved consistency on that. For every Lamar Jackson you have, U a Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 2: That doesn't work out, you have I mean, I basically.
Speaker 6: How many times have got around for those guys?
Speaker 2: How many times do you have to learn? But you learn, you learn your lesson.
Speaker 4: This league doesn't learn.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Michael Pennix, I'm listening to the radio today getting killed.
Speaker 4: I missed a bunch of guys. How much this drip start dropping?
Speaker 3: I mean all that, Like, did you guys just see him for the first two games of the guy, Michael Pennix is a good football player.
Speaker 4: I mean, the guy got the dude.
Speaker 3: In Indiana long long term extension just got fired because he left. But I mean this dude was out here getting people paid. But I'm telling you right now, be it Daniels, be at Penix.
Speaker 2: What I'm dropping. We got to Daniels is the league.
Speaker 6: Daniels Pendicks right now after that game, watch watch bon Nicks go ahead of one of them. You if you take Nicks with the expectation that you if that's gonna be your franchise, gud, then you deserve whatever comes your way, because that's the first The dude been in college thirteen years out.
Speaker 2: I was in SC. I've seen the good played against time. Is gonna be twenty seven when I mean, come on, man, Yeah, but he ain't never looked like both Nicks. I watched both Nicks.
Speaker 6: He was and I think if anything, the knock on penixes that he's been hurt. He's been injured so much. I mean, the kid has overcome a whole lot to be the quarterback, shoulders all of that. That's if that's the knock that's gonna be on. The injury history is the only thing.
Speaker 2: Just know what happened.
Speaker 6: Come on, man, come on with that man, keep on alive rather than where is Justin Jackson when you need him? Man? Second round? I mean you dropped.
Speaker 2: Go look at go look it up. All the church.
Speaker 4: Church was sold.
Speaker 3: Feels a guy like dude, he dropped me dropping shuting up on draft table.
Speaker 4: What the whole boy? Can he don't study? Teams were teams?
Speaker 1: Drive?
Speaker 2: Was that last year? No wonder killing him?
Speaker 3: Tell you matter how fields got rolled up? And then I just said, I just heard some people saying he got.
Speaker 2: Ain't nobody got it like Colin with the video game closed.
Speaker 6: When you do that to yourself, say man, you can't have a PlayStation in your house.
Speaker 2: You gotta study for this amount of hours birthday.
Speaker 3: It's when they had like the iPad opening, it had that fake dummy.
Speaker 2: Playing video just press play on that. Why if I had clause in trouble.
Speaker 6: We all know Chris, I'm glad. I'm glad quarterback is back, Prescott or we ain't never have to worry about nothing like that.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's something to get get ahold of a guy who has a character still falling too. On Call of Duty.
Speaker 6: He was still on Sunday this week, Kyler Murray came in, he been playing Call of Duty for the first thirteen weeks of the season.
Speaker 2: Came in and said.
Speaker 6: Watch this and all and spoiled all type of people's seasons.
Speaker 2: College. They got right back on again.
Speaker 4: Right trying to find Nick Siri. The Hohme boy got off that collar, got.
Speaker 2: Off the hold on Gus halftime. Come back, We're back now paying click. Shout out to Caliber.
Speaker 4: Caliber.
Speaker 3: All right, let's last rank right here, playing by by Tostitos Cowboys.
Speaker 9: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bold, unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at nflshop dot com, slash Hugo Boss at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 6: Hi. I'm Danny mccraig, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King and Smoothie King wants to.
Speaker 2: Ask you, what's that sound.
Speaker 6: That's the sound of us magically transforming our smooth bows into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool Iae or Pataya bowl handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Granola Fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want a munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors only at Smoothie King, the official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys. Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense a repe witball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 4: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 7: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and.
Speaker 2: They snapper the presscout who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left. He'll look for a per stown.
Speaker 7: Just like football.
Speaker 13: When it comes to crypto it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 1: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 7: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 2: Back to the Players.
Speaker 6: Lounge enjoy premiere dining, shopping and experiences from twenty plus restaurant shops and more. At the Star District, check out women's boutique Flee Style of Frisco and the official official boot partner of the Dallas Cowboys. Lou Casey enjoyed New Year's celebrations at Snowbird Cocktail Lounge, Concrete Cowboy and City Works Eatery. Visit the Star District dot com for more information. Jim me mine.
Speaker 2: All this. It's good. It just takes the cake over snow Bird.
Speaker 6: A little bit more than Yeah, get that tasty cake and yet well you're taking a piece at the time you're trying to save Wait a minute, that's a chocolate tasting I never seen, never seen one before.
Speaker 2: All right, you know, bring heck one. Nah, don't bring me. You keep all that.
Speaker 6: Hey, I'm bringing the little debbies out.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about cakes out. Yeah playing that looked that looked like something else. Man, taste your cake? Yeah, oh good, I bet you I won't the snack.
Speaker 3: So we'll see exactly who anybody else getting fired here, assume. So we'll see Dan Quinn. A lot of folks want to interview him, one of the team's commanders. So dan Quinn defensive coordinator for the Cowboys. I've been saying for three years he's gonna leave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have you took Will win him one time you had a whole gym want to break up?
Speaker 4: Confirmed that too.
Speaker 3: I mean, why wouldn't you three straight twelve and five seasons if you look at the draft in here, I mean, you know, and obviously Will McLay has had some personal reasons why he's wanted to stick around here.
Speaker 4: But you know, at some point in time, Will may want to have that title and be.
Speaker 2: Able to run his own room.
Speaker 3: Because here, as long as the Joneses are running this thing, they're going to keep the general manager title.
Speaker 2: Jerry is the general manager.
Speaker 3: But I can say this because I've talked to many employees who've gotten job offers from other teams and that they have had conversations Jerry said, don't let money be the reason. Elite, meaning Jerry matched whatever money people could have made. One of one of our favorite staffers here told me once hey had a job opportunity to go east and a job title. Jerry matched the money and he stayed. So we'll see he's paid dan Quinn Jerry's Jerry has said he's paid dan Quinn very well, which when I talk to people that say he's basically making some head coach.
Speaker 2: Money around here, should yeah, exactly, and nobody disputes that, right. I just want to make sure the page on that there's no salary cap for coaches.
Speaker 3: So, but if you're dan Quinn at some point in time, I think, especially as you're watching some of the coaching jobs in this league, man, you feel like, hey, man, I have coached the.
Speaker 4: Team of Super Bowl. The Chargers haven't ask for him, but.
Speaker 2: You know he they got some kept trouble coming on coming on.
Speaker 6: When you're looking at when you're looking at being a head coach, which is why I think he's still here.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: Some some of the reason why he's still here is what opportunity is out there? And even though it looks like that's a great opportunity, how many years does the quarterback have left on his deal? What receivers, what the cap numbers gonna look like? And you start to looking at that, and you say, you want to look under the hood, what's going on? You want to test drive, you want to go out there and get fired. Two years he already he went to Atlanta, This's already happened. So his second chargers want that to be the charges job would be the most attractive because of the quarterback still longer is Justin Herbert Still I'm not I am not down in Justin Herban I'm not gonna I'm not gonna down. But that's not gonna be the reason why I'm like, yeah, that's the one I want to go to see. We just we just did a whole thing on quarterbacks. We just talked about Poennix and Daniels and agree with me.
Speaker 3: I think that's I think that is a if you look at the jobs that are open, I think that's the most attractive job because you have a quarterback.
Speaker 2: It's the most attractive one.
Speaker 6: I'm saying, that's not one where I'm leaving a Dallas or somewhere where Jerry's telling me a don't make money be the reason, and I'm finna go out there with Justin Herbert knowing what's coming behind that, with the Saldlary cap.
Speaker 2: Issues or whatever else they may have going on. I don't know. I don't know if if I'm jumping at the opportunity, I.
Speaker 4: Would disagree with you. I would disagree with you.
Speaker 3: I would believe that when we start to look at these jobs around the league. Take Carolina for instance, You've got Bryce Young, but what's your confidence level right now? And then the offensive line and everything else around it. Now, your issue with the charges is Keenan Allen's making a high number.
Speaker 2: So is Mike Williams. James one of those two guys is gonna go.
Speaker 3: But that was also why they drafted Quick Johnson knowing we're about to lose somebody. Joey Bosa is making a large number. Khalil's making a large number. This may be the time where you go to Bosa and its hey, God, come knocking trim this little bit here, because.
Speaker 4: You haven't played. But if I'm a coach, look at like Grabel, what you have when you don't got a quarterback.
Speaker 2: If I'm Mike.
Speaker 3: Grabel, I'll go out there and say, okay, can I find a couple of dudes defensively and can we pat something together? I'll do that if I got a quarterback. But man, we look at Belichick. Man, man, the man, the man. The man left the stadium with his face covered up. Man, it wants six super Bowls. Fans out there are mad at him. On the one that even come up there and support. You don't get him six super bowls.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: Then this man left left the field face because he had Bailey, Zappi and Mac Jones just straight killing.
Speaker 2: Isn't he a general manager? He runs he runs everything? Okay, I mean he got this food is nasty. I did.
Speaker 3: So what I'm saying is, if Bill has an opportunity to go to place like was in Charges, where you've got a quarter him, that's appealing.
Speaker 4: Quinn fim dan Quinn, okay, raider job, No, No.
Speaker 2: No, that's not what I'm saying. I think I.
Speaker 4: Think dan Quinn with Justin Herbert, I believe dan Quinn would take.
Speaker 6: That, Okay, Yeah, I think I think my point is not that, like, you got guys who are searching for a head coaching spot, yes, and then you have a guy like Dan Quinn who has come out and said, hey, man, I know that the group of guys I have here and I want to blah blah blah all this sort of stuff. I'm saying, I see him leaving for a perfect almost perfect situation, almost perfect situation just based off the fact that he went to Atlanta and didn't work out second shot. And this is just my personal opinion. This is just my personal opinion on Justin Herbert. I'm not sure. I'm not sure. I hear a lot of arm strength, he got all the talent, all this other stuff, but he had multiple guys that came in there and tried to tried to make some stuff work. Your guy went in there tried to make it work. To see the same stuff from Justin her you could throw the ball really well. I mean, we're just missing the clutch factor. That's that's the hell of a factor. That's the biggest fact of the missing.
Speaker 2: He's missing it right now. But yeah, yeah, Dan, we're going out there and he'll find you in the office.
Speaker 4: Hain't no common with the Raiders about that.
Speaker 6: Parts of that he gotta leave. I'm saying, if you're forcing them out the door to yeah, I'm gonna go. I'm probably going to pick l A. I mean, it's one of thirty two jobs. And I understand what you said. It's appealing and as a guy that's already coached a squad to the Super Bowl, but I'm with you, it's perfect when I walk in, it's got.
Speaker 2: To be right.
Speaker 3: When I see commanders and I see and I see, don't do that to Carolina, Like okay, okay, Caroline's.
Speaker 4: Got a lot of issues, a lot of issues out there now.
Speaker 2: Not to mention. Man.
Speaker 4: We'll talk to youmorrow right here radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Class.
Speaker 2: How was your travel there,