Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our one on this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan Edge Dan Patrick Show came in today. Paully goes man, did I have a weird dream last night? And I've never heard Paully say that before. Fritzi will tell me about his dreams. Paully goes I went to a Walmart with Nick Saban. I said, okay, anything good with that? He goes, no, no, no, I'm just walking around with Nick Saban and a Walmart.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I usually don't remember my dreams. I don't know if you guys do, but it usually fades really quick. It was as clear as a bell. I woke up and I was I was almost laughing because it was really a simple, clear dream. Nick Saban and I are walking in you know the sliding double doors when you walk into a Walmart. Yeah, I go, Coach, aren't you going to get mobbed in here? Because Coach Saban and a Walmart down south is like prime territory. And he goes, no, no, these are my people. And I grabbed a cart and just I think I bought a tent and he bought some some things and we were just talking casually, and I woke up from the dream and that was the entire dream.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'd rather hear Todd's dreams.
Speaker 4: Yeah's no, no, not at all.
Speaker 2: Because I had a dream that I smashed Todd with wedding cake because we have a bet that Taylor Swift and Travis Kelsey are going to get.
Speaker 5: Engaged, which are still up in the area it is. But I had a dream that I hit you. I picked up a wedding cake and smashed you. But I don't know what that means other than did you giggle afterwards?
Speaker 6: Or did you high five people?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 6: What was the reaction?
Speaker 2: I don't remember I did, That's all. That's all I remember. So but that was my dream. Pauline had a dream. Anybody else had a dream last night? It was only a dream. Marvin did reach out to me finally. It was around eight o'clock and he said time for your sponge bath, and I thought that that was very nice. He didn't come over, but he did offer if I needed a sponge bath for my surgically repaired shoulder tonight. Let's plan a little, a little sooner than we did yesterday. Plan accordingly. We'll do all right, Come on in stay a while if you'd like. Gang's all here ready to go. The Minister of Humor, Todd, Fritz Seaton, Marvin Pauli, Yours truly the Brgs, Jesse Palmer of the Mothership and host of The Bachelor. A little bit later on, our great friend Joey Evado, former Cincinnati Red All Star.
Speaker 5: He'll join us as well.
Speaker 2: Recap the football gets ready for baseball coming up on Friday night. NBA openers coming up tonight, Nick Celtic's Timberwolve's Lakers. Those are the more quy matchups. We'll dissect that as well. To a tongue of Ioloa cleared to practice, we'll talk about that. The Niners need another receiver, Brandon Ayuk done for the season. Also, Tampa Bay needs another receiver, Chris Godwin done for the season as well. The Ravens handled the Buccaneers forty one thirty one. If you watch the first seven minutes, you're thinking, man, Tampa Bay is really good. Man Baker Mayfield is real good. They're comparing his numbers to Tom Brady and Tampa Bay. And then all of a sudden, as good as it was, it went south quickly. NFC South, but give credit Lamar throws for five touchdowns. Dereck Kenring one hundred and sixty nine yards rushing. Now, if you didn't watch the game, you just saw one hundred and sixty nine yards. You go, man, he had another great game. He had two great runs. He didn't have a great game, but he has been a home run threat for them. Just the element of surprise that there's going to be one or two of those runs per game, and the element of surprise, and just enough to keep you if you're a defensive player honest when it comes to play action, because now all of a sudden, Lamar doesn't have to force things.
Speaker 5: He does have somebody else to help him there.
Speaker 2: And you had two great runs by Derrick Kenring and for Lamar Jackson that's five touchdown passes. This is what I hope doesn't happen, but it's inevitable that it probably will. The voters are going to look at Lamar Jackson and go, can we give him the MVP again. Let's just say that this plays out because Patrick Mahomes is not the MVP. His team's undefeated, he hasn't played great. So if you're looking at candidates this year, you would start with Lamar Jackson. So if we start with Lamar Jackson and he's been really good and the team is good, they have two losses, but they're really good. Are we going to hold it against him because what he did in the postseason or what he didn't do in the postseason? And voters do this. They did that with Joker, Jokers should have one more MVP. They're going to do that against Joe l Embiid. They might have done that with other players, where they go, yeah, but he's good in the regular season, but he doesn't do anything in the postseason. That might happen with Lamar Jackson. He might be the best player or most valuable player, but voters may go I remember talking to voters and not a lot, but a few voters who always wanted to make sure their Heisman vote was to a player who would be good in the NFL.
Speaker 5: And I said, that's not what the award is based off of.
Speaker 2: They said, well, they didn't want to give it to somebody who then didn't even make an NFL roster, And I said, no, it's a college award. It's not the potential to be good in the NFL. But look everybody has their philosophy, their parameters, their guidelines for voting for MVP. I had mine as well, and look, I wasn't fair to Karl Malone or Charles Barkley, but I didn't care. I said the most Valuable player in the NBA was Michael Jordan, and I voted for him because I looked at him not only for his team, for the league, and he was going to win a championship.
Speaker 5: That was always my philosophy.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be voting that way if I was thinking Lamar Jackson, I would just say great regular season, just like Charles Barkley and Karl Malone had better regular seasons than Michael Jordan did in those years that they won the MVP. But Lamar Jackson, I'm watching last night five touchdown passes. They're also running the football. And the surprising part with the Ravens is they're not a great defensive team. And normally you think John Harball they're going to play great defense, and they're not. They're down, you know, pretty much close to the bottom. They're twenty sixth the inn defense this year, but they're number one in offense. They're averaging two hundred and fifty eight yards passing per game, two hundred and ten yards rushing per game. This is that this has never happened before through seven games, where you have a team average those numbers. Over two hundred and fifty passing yards two hundred rushing yards per game over a seven game span hasn't happened in the history of the NFL. But keep in mind, they started out zhing two.
Speaker 5: And we were you.
Speaker 2: Know, they could have easily won the Kansas City game. Okay they didn't. But now you're starting to see this team offensively like we envision when they got Dereck Henry. Because you got to pick your poison, and right now, be careful what door you want because it could be Dereck Henry blasting through.
Speaker 5: And when I watched Derrick Henry.
Speaker 2: By the way, good morning if you're watching on Peacock, Good morning to our radio affiliates. I'm fired up. I watched a lot of the football last night. So eight seven to seven, three DP show operator Tyler sitting by radio affiliates around the country. I heart radio, Fox Sports Radio. Still bothered by cold here. So yes, don where's.
Speaker 6: The sling you came in? Day one? It's just a second day back and you're not wearing the sling.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to draw it out. I don't want to be overly dramatic doctors orders, no that I am not listening to. Well, okay, I had the sling on yesterday, protective sling, obviously major shoulder surgery. I'm lucky to be even in here today. But I'm here. But I didn't want to drag this out and make it all about me. So I thought, you know what, let's just see how it feels. Got some meds in me, and I'm good so far. Yes, Tom, But.
Speaker 6: Doesn't the doctor have specific reasons from their years of experience as to why you should be in the sling for a period of days or weeks as opposed to randomly word one day and then.
Speaker 5: Say you're going to tell me about a doctor.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to rat you out too. No, No, I've ratted myself out. But I did try to contact the doctor yesterday. I left a message. I said, hey, I'm going to take my armount of the sling, and I didn't hear back.
Speaker 5: So you know what's he gonna do?
Speaker 6: The heal faster if you do what he says and keeping the sling, even though it's inconvenient. Maybe you do that.
Speaker 2: It's I just, once again, I wanted people to focus on the show, not the fact that I'm you know, this courageous host.
Speaker 4: Don't focus on it.
Speaker 2: No, I don't want you to focus on like that guy's a hero, Like that guy's unbelievable.
Speaker 5: Yes, see.
Speaker 7: Three days procedure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can take the surgery.
Speaker 7: It feels like surgery has a longer recovery time. Yeah, in the sling.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I offered to take off my shirt this morning to show Seatan the the.
Speaker 5: Bullet holes that I had said, save it for the show.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I have a huge bruise on my arm going down my arm. Yeah, but Setan said, you know, let's don't don't just share it.
Speaker 5: With me, Yeah, share it with the nation. I mean yeah, yeah. Should I be so fortunate? Yes?
Speaker 4: Maybe the player cop is Otani. He got a procedure, not Tommy John surgery. And when we didn't think he was going to be at the plate in maybe August or April for the Dodgers, he was there. So it's Otani asked, what you're doing? What I think a lot of people are there?
Speaker 5: Yeah. The nation. I could see that.
Speaker 7: The recovery time rivals Aaron Rodgers for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, people want to know what procedure I had because is it different?
Speaker 7: This is why did you have to go to Germany for it?
Speaker 5: Broue Deutschland.
Speaker 2: But I'm here. I mean, that's all that matters. Every day, says super Bowl. Let's give back to our audience. Let's not make it about us, Let's make it about them. Very well, said thank you.
Speaker 5: Tom. Alright, I don't know where I was.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, this is off you'r Derrick Henry. You're talking about Derrick Henry breaking big runs in the first quarter. This year, he's averaging five yards of carry. In the third quarter, he's averaging nine point two yards of carry season in the fourth quarter, he's averaging six point six yards.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: Stat of the day, Stat of the day, Boss, Stat of the day. Stat of the day?
Speaker 6: Here comes that?
Speaker 5: What steat of the day? Stat of the Day? Brought to you by Panini America.
Speaker 2: The official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show First Hour brought to you by Rapid Radios hinstant push to talk walkie talkies are fing national LGE coverage. No subscription or monthly fee ever perfect for instant contact with an aging parent. We use them on the show all the time. Go to Rapid radios dot com save up to sixty percent off and free shipping. Got our playthday stat of the Day poll question. All of that forthcoming. By the way, the Chargers are going to look back.
Speaker 5: On that loss last night.
Speaker 2: That might be one of those weeks seventeen where they're gathered around the touch the TV and they're going.
Speaker 5: Cardinal loss, no touchdowns, no touchdowns. Justin Herbert, you throw for over three hundred and sixty yards without a touchdown. That doesn't happen often. I mean, it has.
Speaker 2: Mike White with the Jets, that was twenty twenty two, Kyler Murray did it in twenty twenty one, Alex Smith in twenty twenty, Teddy Bridgewater twenty twenty over three hundred and sixty passing yards and no touchdowns. And granted he doesn't have weapons, but I thought this was going to be a run first team and they wouldn't be putting up, you know, three hundred yards pas. They wouldn't need to. That defense is good, really good, but the offense not good. All right, Seaton, what's poll question today.
Speaker 7: Well, I've got some exciting news that to Dove has sent in some also with some corrections to the appropriate wording for some of it. This is the fifth option for the third question of the second year.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know what, maybe we lump them together. We'll take a break and then we can talk about potential poll questions for the first down.
Speaker 5: Hey, why not?
Speaker 2: Okay, some baseball with Joey Vado. Also, we'll play the man did Blank need a game?
Speaker 5: Like that game?
Speaker 2: Jesse Palmer a little bit later on as well, also to a tongue of Ilo meets with the media yesterday.
Speaker 5: The Niners need a receiver.
Speaker 2: Brandon Nyuk has done for the year with a torn acl and Cardinals come back to beat the Chargers seventeen to fifteen, and you got the opening night for the NBA. We'll play the does Lebron's son Bronnie get in? How many minutes does he play when he gets in? At what point in the game does Bronnie get in against the Minnesota Timberwolve. I play this game once, Yes, you can only do it one time, and I'd love to see him now in the lineup, Bronnie James and all of a sudden, he's got Anthony edwardstguard. It's the Timberwolves against the Lakers later on tonight. Also, the Celtics head coach has a really really interesting response to pressure for the Celtics to go back to back. So a lot to get to phone calls as well. We'll take a break. We're back after this Dan Patrick show. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 5: Everybody's fired up.
Speaker 2: A lot of phone calls to get to settle on our pole question. Lamar Jackson is twenty three to one all time against the NFC. He's got their number. That's the best record by a quarterback against an opposing conference in NFL history. He also leads the NFL in passer rating also in rushing yards for a quarterback. So he's got four hundred and fifty five rushing yards right now. You imagine gets a thousand yards rushing. Derrick Henry gets sixteen hundred yards rushing. I just want to make sure.
Speaker 5: They're married to a game plan when they get to the postseason, because it felt like they were trying to be more like the Chiefs than they needed to.
Speaker 2: Now you got Derick Henry, Now I expect you to be a you got to deal with all of this. Now, don't be one dimensional. They're going to try to make you one dimensional. But that's what I would love to see with the Ravens. If you have this ability to be that dangerous on offen whether it's passing or and the other thing I saw with Lamar Jackson is you don't have to lok into one receiver. It's not just Jay Flowers. It's spread the wealth. If you can get to four or five different receivers and at times have Derrick Henry as a weapon out of the backfield. Now all of a sudden, you can make up for defense that used to be your calling card, and that defense is not good right now, but that offense has been great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Pauling what.
Speaker 4: Stood out last night. Also Mark Andrews back, you know, full speed. And Rashad Bateman remember him out of Minnesota. We loved him. His career was kind of slow rolling. He had four for one twenty one. I mean that's a guy if he hits his stride. He was great in college.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've been waiting for him to be great. But if you have these different weapons, now you have a Hall of Fame coach, and you're going to be able to have Lamar Jackson. Have you decide what you want? Okay, you want to try to dictate what we're going to do. Oh, you want us to run, we'll run. You want us to pass, we can pass as well. Yes see, it's.
Speaker 7: Got to be tough though, when you're looking down the road as the Ravens, you're basically even with Derek Henry in the exact same situation that you were in last year. The Chiefs defense is awesome, and your defense isn't that great?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 7: I know, So can your defense stop Patrick Mahomes or as you know, the Chiefs defense.
Speaker 2: Well, it's the what is that the irresistible force against the immovable object type of thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I just hope Baltimore is able to be Baltimore in the postseason. That's what I would love to see. They should have won that game last year.
Speaker 2: You're at home and it felt like they just decided they were going to throw the ball around, and you give Mahomes a chance. You just can't give him a one score chance, because if you do it's like Brady, it's just a matter of not if they're going to do it, but when they're going to do it.
Speaker 4: Yes, paulm we do this Ravens regular season, postseason conversation every October. I know, the same conversation we're having now, we've probably done the past three years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we'll probably do it in the postseason as well.
Speaker 2: Absolute MVP Yeah, uh so, Brandon Ayuk is out, Christian McCaffrey's out. Debo has pneumonia like symptoms, which means he has pneumonia.
Speaker 5: Why do we say that flu like symptoms?
Speaker 2: Either you have it or does anybody say you have like pregnancy like symptoms, death like symptoms? Yeah, death like symptoms. I mean kind of feels like if you have it, you have it. There poll question though, we're going to go with Seaton do you have one?
Speaker 7: And actually, if you just see any commercial for any medication whatsoever, you get an unbelievable amount of like symptoms just from trying to get your moderate to severe plexoriasis.
Speaker 4: Nothing is everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I told Fritzy, I said, I think I want to get some of these conditions because those people and those commercials when they take sky Rizza or whatever it is sky Rizzy, Like.
Speaker 6: They're having a great time climbing mountains, they're rafting, they're doing all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 2: You know, all of a sudden they're breaking out and dancing and I mean it, they're having fun and wait, yes, everything's good.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: That's one of my favorite commercials that's gone. Right now, there's like a party happening. This isn't medication, but it's like something you would still buy at the pharmacy. There's like a party going on and they're like there's all these people talking or whatever, right, and they're like sitting out and drinking, laughing all this stuff.
Speaker 5: It's awesome. This is great.
Speaker 7: Right. The guy gets up, goes into the bathroom, dies his beard real quick, and then comes back out in the middle of the party. Like what that's what you did in the middle of this party? Like, hold on, I want to run to the bathroom. Let me go die my beard real quick to get rid of these grades and then come back out. I have not seen why would you do that? It comes down he looks like a million bucks. He's like, you know, a model. He's got to smile and it's great, Like, why did you just get up in the middle of the party and die your beard hair?
Speaker 2: Yesterday I saw Ken Griffy Junior being interviewed. He's going to be at the Lakers game tonight because Ken Griffy Senior and Junior famously homered in the same game when they both played in Seattle. So Junior and his dad want to go see this, you know, Lebron and his son. Well, I saw Ken Griffy Junior with gray hair on his He had some stubble on his chin, and like juniors always looked like he was around twenty seven years of age, and then you see him with this gray stubble, and I'm like, wait a minute, Junior, what are you doing.
Speaker 5: You can't get old on us.
Speaker 2: But he said it's important that for him and his dad to go see Lebron and Bronni play in the same game.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marv, please tell me there's a Nike commercial for this. There has to be, I would think so if he's a Nike guy, so was Lebron, Obviously they have to do it. There's no way.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, what'd you get me and my dad's some tickets will show up.
Speaker 2: Great, oh, you, you definitely want them as part of the theme. You got to put them cordside.
Speaker 7: Hello, Nike, Yeah, why don't you get us some tickets and then we'll show up.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 2: I don't know if there's an over under of when Bronny played how much he plays when he goes into the game tonight, But we're going to try to gather some information there on the Bronnie James game that coming up tonight because he has to play. But do you take the band aid off so the crowd is not chanting Bronnie Brownie?
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul, all right.
Speaker 4: Since you brought it up, why does he have to play tonight?
Speaker 2: And I'm not trying to be It's opening night, right, you just you have to get it out of the way.
Speaker 4: How often does the twelfth or thirteenth man on a roster play on opening night in a competitive basketball Okay?
Speaker 2: But how many times is the twelfth man the son of one of the greatest players of all time who happens to be the guy who runs the team and it's his night?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, I guess it lightly lightly bothers me because it's not a basketball decision. I know it's not a big deal if he plays three minutes to start the fourth quarter. However, the twelfth man who played twenty college games, he doesn't play early.
Speaker 2: Once again, there is no other scenario like this. Yes, that's the thing. I don't know who. Let's say Tom Brady had you a son and Tom was forty five and his son was twenty one coming out of college, and Tampa Bay drafted him, and Tom wanted him to play.
Speaker 5: Do you think he'd play?
Speaker 2: Answers, Yes, you have this moment, and look, can Bronnie play, Yes, but he's not.
Speaker 5: A regular contributor.
Speaker 2: Dalton connect is the guy who's going to play, and he can be in the rotation Bronnie is. It's kind of a ceremonial. Hey, let him come out and play a little bit. Dad and son on the floor. I know, you know this is the height of nepotism in America. Well, you have it, deal with it. I think it'll be pretty cool that you have that moment. Great, let's see it. I just don't want if you're JJ Reddick and you're kind of forced to play him a little bit more or keep him up on the roster, because I think he needs to be playing in the G League. I think that would be the best thing for him. So opening night, maybe you let him play or he's on the roster a couple of games, and then bring him back on Christmas.
Speaker 4: But let him play just nationally televised games.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, that's what this is. This is a made for TV event, so treat it as such.
Speaker 2: You know, guest star, supporting cast, come on in, cameo, whatever it.
Speaker 5: Is, I'm okay with it.
Speaker 2: I mean, how many guys who were drafted fifty fifth overall do we care about? In the history of the NBA. It doesn't happen very often. Did he get he was going to get drafted? I think Golden State and Phoenix were really interested in him. In fairness to the Lakers, we knew they were.
Speaker 5: Going to take him. All right, how much does he play?
Speaker 2: If he plays more than he should, then I think that would be the that would be the light bulb that goes off to say, I don't like how this looks.
Speaker 5: But if he.
Speaker 2: Plays well and he will hustle and he's gonna play defense, you know, well, nobody plays defense on Anthony Edwards, but he might go in there and that's your assignment. Go get him you know, give me, give me three minutes here. But I'm okay, Like this is entertainment, but it's also a pretty cool moment. Father and son. I know people have this vitriol, you know, with Lebron, and you know he's he's there with his family. He's a good dad, husband, got his son out there, son, went through a health scare, got drafted. He plays hard, he never says anything. There's nothing negative about him. I think it's people's view of Lebron.
Speaker 5: Uh, he's running the Laker. We're going to say, Okay, it's opening night, Opening night, Okay, I just celebrate, Let's just have some fun with it opening night.
Speaker 4: Does JJ Reddick, the new head coach, have the autonomy to play the lineup fully?
Speaker 5: Oh don't. I don't know that.
Speaker 4: That would be that would be a problem for me.
Speaker 2: I don't think he could have a conversation with Lebron and after the game and he didn't play his son.
Speaker 4: Right because Reddick got the job because of it, partly because of his relationship with Lebron.
Speaker 2: James, Yes, I would think that. Once again, it's one game. It could be seven minutes that he plays. It's okay. I don't know if we're going to look back at the end of the year and go, you know what, if they didn't play Bronnie, they probably would have won that game and they'd be the sixth seed.
Speaker 5: Yeah see, I'm also not.
Speaker 7: Sure that there's a big debate going on of like.
Speaker 5: Damn it, I'm getting Cam Reddish in the game. I don't care. It's not going to be Bronni Cam Reddish to get a shot like.
Speaker 2: In different positions, but I don't I don't know who's gonna have to sacrifice some playing time.
Speaker 5: Somebody's gonna have to sacrifice. Damn it. Cam needs another shot at this.
Speaker 2: Okay, Condalton connect just get a chance to cook here, all right, Ton?
Speaker 5: What are the pole questions you have for me?
Speaker 6: We've got after last night? Which is most true? The Bucks will not win the NFC South, The Chargers will not make the playoffs. Lamar Jackson will win his third MVP Award. Which is most true, most true, most true? You could believe all of them, none of them, but which is the most true of those three?
Speaker 2: Oska, So the Chargers don't make the playoffs, Buccaneers don't win their division.
Speaker 6: Lamar Jackson wins third MVP.
Speaker 5: Does anybody think most true Lamar wins his third MVP. No hands. On the other side, Chargers don't make the playoffs?
Speaker 7: Man, is that pretty true?
Speaker 6: Ya'll take that pretty true?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's pretty true.
Speaker 2: Soill Marvin's got that, Fritzi's got that, Seaton's got that.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 8: The AFC North to me, is just too strong. It's gonna be like three teams from that division, and I think only one division winner, only one out of the AFC West.
Speaker 5: Okay to breaking it down, Oh, I guess so.
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 5: And then Paulie, you don't think Tampa Bay wins their division?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: Twelve hours ago, I thought they were going to be in the NFC title game. At the end of the first quarter, I had them in.
Speaker 2: Pollie almost text us to say, oh my god, Baker Mayfield and the Buccaneers are awesome.
Speaker 5: I wish you would have I I wish you would have been awesome. You could.
Speaker 4: In my head, I was texting, where's all the Baker haters?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: The loss of the loss of Godwin and if Mike Evans is hampered all season, it could go south.
Speaker 5: Chris Godwin is one of my favorite receivers.
Speaker 2: He got injured with a minute to go, but he's gonna be a free agent. He's just one of those where you watch him and you go, god, he's still there. Mike Evans is a Hall of Famer, but Chris Godwin is the Hall of really good.
Speaker 5: And you know that ankle dislocated.
Speaker 7: Done for the year, Yes, but it's really just a competition between the Falcons and the Buccaneers. Yes, right, everybody else is out. Yeah, yeah, that's not that crazy, Like that's not that uphill.
Speaker 2: To the Falcons just launch at home, Seattle goes cross country and then they end up losing. Here's Todd Bowles, the Buccaneers head coach, going back and forth with the reporter about the injury to Chris Godwin.
Speaker 10: Coach down ten, doing any timehouse, it's undrew a minute.
Speaker 7: Why is Chriscotland in the game cover?
Speaker 10: Oh, he's a player. We're trying to win the ball game. I mean we were still down ten. We're trying to get extra points and kick another on side kick. It just happened, but we were going down.
Speaker 8: We didn't have that one.
Speaker 10: Receive receivers left as it was, so we play.
Speaker 5: What we got is that.
Speaker 11: Even more perhaps important to preserve Chris for the Falcons, and Mike's possibly not gonna play.
Speaker 10: You can say that because they got hurt. We don't. It's like and guess, so we got our guys, We planned everybody. We got so unfortunate. He got hurt and we feel bad about that. But he's a football player and he wanted to be in the game. It's just like Baker and everybody else wanted to be in a game.
Speaker 2: Don't you have an allegation to protect your players from themselves.
Speaker 10: I do protect my players all the time. That has nothing to do with while we left them in the ballgame, we still had a shout to score some points and win the ballgame.
Speaker 9: It happened.
Speaker 10: It happens in football.
Speaker 2: You can't take the end result and use it against Todd Bowles. You're down ten, yes, there's a minute to go. Take out everybody. Why just I know you lost Mike Evans, but take out everybody, take out Baker. Okay, if you're down fourteen, you're down twenty one, seventeen point then okay, I could understand that, but I don't think you can play the result and go why was he out there? If Baker got hurt. Would we say why was he out there? I'm guessing we probably would, But the reporter digging in on that, I think we're not being fair to the situation. I didn't even think of it. I didn't go you got to get Godwin out of there. But he did get hurt, dislocated his ankle. Done for the season, yes, he I mean right, we were talking about it before. But it's not a crazy thought to think you'd get a quick seven there. This game is perfectly in reach.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was surprised.
Speaker 2: I was surprised that the reporter went after Todd Bowles just to say, you got to your duty to protect your player. Well, yeah, how do you protect them? Do we take everybody off the field? If I leave you on the field, I'm not protecting you. Was Chris Godwin banged up before he dislocated his ankle? And if he was, then okay, I could understand you bring him out. But you know, Mike Evans, we know came in with an injury, only had one catch.
Speaker 5: But I mean, how do you protect them?
Speaker 2: It feels unfair, Yeah, because I think we're looking at what the end result was with that. We'll talk about Tua he's cleared to practice, He's probably gonna play this weekend. We'll discuss that coming up. We got our play of the day coming up as well. Doug in North Carolina leads us off. Good morning, Doug. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 3: Well, Dan, I have to tell you you've been kind of freaking me out with your shoulder issues. My doctor has warned me that if I don't stop sleeping on my side that I'm going to have to have surgery similar to the one that you've had in about a year or so, because you said I'm squishing my tendons by tucking one arm underneath my pillow, and I was just curious if you are a side sleeper and if that had anything to do with your injury.
Speaker 5: It did not.
Speaker 2: This is just wear and tear over the years of being a high end athlete and a lot of innings even though I'm right handed, but it's left shoulder, a lot of golf. But yeah, they they said that there was a lot of cleanup in there that needed to happen. So it wasn't a labor and wasn't a rotator, that there was some wear and tear in there, and so they went in four different places and hopefully cleaned it up. But it has nothing to do with sleep at least that was never brought up. That just has to do I think wear and tear over the years playing sports. Let me see Lucas in Texas. Hi, Luke, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Hey Dan?
Speaker 5: Good morning, Good morning man.
Speaker 11: It's October. I love I think it's the best sports month out there. All the leagues are playing, and naturally that means it's time to talk NBA basketball. But you're not the kind of fan who just rides on the big teams. You're the one who lifts up a team and calls them your own. And so I think all of us are waiting with vaited breast to figure out who is Dan's team. Who in the middle of December on a Friday night when normal people are having dinner or you know things like that, will dance watching in his basement.
Speaker 9: And if I may, may I entice you in my rockets? Maybe they could be your Rockets. They've got a crafty veteran in Tred van Vliet. They've got an anti hero and Dylan Brooks and lots of young high draft picks. Notice I did not say talent, I said, high draft picks, so maybe they could be dance team as well.
Speaker 5: Well. I do like the Rockets a lot.
Speaker 2: And before you said that, I was going to tell you that they were a five hundred team last year. I do, you know, I want to see if Reed Shepherd is real, but you do have some talent. The West is going to be a monster is last year my team was Oklahoma City. I think it would be too easy to say that was my team this year. But the West is going to be really, really difficult. But I do like the Rockets as sort of that surprise team out West.
Speaker 5: I haven't given it that much thought. It was weird.
Speaker 2: You know, Todd goes, we need to have a guest. You know, the season opens up. This is yesterday tomorrow, and I go lea, he goes, No, the season opens up. I've been watching preseason basketball. I just didn't know they were getting ready to start. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean the West again this year is just going to be insane. Do you look at San Antonio? No, do you have any interest in them yet this year? Because they I feel like they could be a team that makes a big jump. They could be a lot of fun this year.
Speaker 2: Well, I think they have to make a big jump because they've been so bad. I've been saying since wembad Yama got in the league, get him a point guard, let him understand how to position himself, where to be on the floor. Now you have Chris Paul Castle. But you know what, I don't think the expectation is too high. There suns. I'm not going to run through them all.
Speaker 5: I can't. You know what, let me take a break. I can't. I can't roll the dice on the suns. Can't do that. I can't, can't you can't.
Speaker 7: Just you know what, if you just talk about a fun team to watch.
Speaker 5: Oh, there's a lot of fun teams to watch. Yeah, absolutely, like Orlando.
Speaker 1: You're gonna see.
Speaker 4: You're the kind of guy watches Orlando versus Charlotte on a Tuesday.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, I will. I would have been a million bucks.
Speaker 8: Your next word is gonna bring million Caro waiting to see you court sight at the Magic Mixed game at the Garden.
Speaker 5: You know it.
Speaker 7: You loves Hollo b Mark Harlwoltz is going to I don't think MARKL.
Speaker 2: Foltz is on a ronster right now. Oh but Jayleen sugs just got extended.
Speaker 5: There thugs to be him. It sugs to me him. Take that much money, man, take a break. Play the day up next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six a m. Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 4: Wapp Oh my God.
Speaker 2: The Play of the day.
Speaker 5: This is the play of the day. Check this out.
Speaker 11: On second and seventeen, Lamarta throw going deep near side.
Speaker 1: He's got payment open.
Speaker 5: To the five touchdown?
Speaker 1: Who shut up, Bateman? Have the Ravens strike again? Forty nine yards from Lamar and Jackson.
Speaker 2: That's courtesy of ninety eight Rock Ravens Radio Network. Lamar Jackson has five career games with at least five touchdown passes, tied for seventh most all time and tide for second among active players. Mahomes and you got Jackson, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers. So Mahomes has done it eight times. The other players have done it five. That's your play of the day. Play of the Day is brought to you by tire rack dot Com.
Speaker 5: It's so easy.
Speaker 2: You go to tire rack dot com slash Dan. Try the tire Decision Guide see the full lineup of Firestone Tire special offers free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation, tirerac dot com The way tire buying should be sneaky story. Jamison Williams, the wide receiver for the Lions, suspended again two games for Peds. These kids got to get it together, man, got to get it together. You got a great season, potential for an unbelievable season. Don't be a knucklehead. So two games suspended, Peds? Did you have other poll question suggestions?
Speaker 6: We do have two more? Okay, In spite of all the injuries, the forty nine ers will dot dot dot win the NFC West, make a deep playoff run, reach the Super Bowl, win the Super Bowl? Or are you kidding me? The Niners aren't even making it.
Speaker 5: No, I don't know if we needed that too soon. I mean, he just got hurt.
Speaker 6: Time we could go hang on, tough guy. The Niners aren't making the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Well, this goes back to where you used to If you lost the Super Bowl, then you struggled to make the playoffs the following year. And that's what it feels like with the forty nine ers. We talk about the window of opportunity. And with the Niners, you go, well, you got Rock Party on a rookie contract. Hey, you signed up all your star players, got everybody under contract, and then all of a sudden, you have all these injuries and this is to your offense, and that's been your calling card.
Speaker 5: You're three and four now, should you still win your division? Yes?
Speaker 2: But I think that, boy, the Niners are the best team. I'm going to have to see probably three games in a row before I believe that. And I know I talked about Seattle making the playoffs and they had a bad stretch where I think they lost three in a row.
Speaker 5: They're a really good team. I truly believe that they're a really good team. They got weapons there.
Speaker 2: I think they're four and three now, and they're always a tough out playing in Seattle. But I don't think it's a foregone conclusion with the forty nine ers, where you go, they're going to be back there in an NFC title game.
Speaker 5: This is your window of opportunity. Rock Party gets paid Now.
Speaker 2: All of a sudden, you know, that's where Seattle lost Bobby Wagner or Richard Sherman.
Speaker 5: That's when you start to lose players.
Speaker 2: You have this opportunity, you got to make sure that you keep the window open, because it feels like you got to prop it up right now with a spoon, a wooden spoon to keep it open, because that window of opportunity closes so quickly, and it wasn't that long ago where we go, gosh, these guys are going to be the best team in the NFC for years now, well years from now. It might be just this year, last year, and it is close to closing in my opinion, Yes, Tom.
Speaker 6: So if you had to vote on one of those, what are you leaning towards?
Speaker 2: I'm going to say they're a playoff team, but I'm not going any further than that.
Speaker 5: Right now, I.
Speaker 2: Mean McCaffrey that there's no sign that he's coming back, and Deebo's always bagged up, a uke is out now George Kittle has those moments. Now it's more incumbent upon Rock Party to win games than it has been before. And now you really have to have a dominating performance with your defense. This is almost flipped like Kansas City, they lead with their defense. The Niners are gonna have to win games where Rock Party manages just like Patrick mahomes is, You're gonna have to be a defensive team first. You're gonna have to shut people down. You know, the Steelers are like this defense, shut them down, just manage a game.
Speaker 5: Yes, Ma.
Speaker 8: Well the Niners window, they've been a contender for maybe with the past five years because they lost with Jimmy g and what is that twenty twenty. So look, they're probably going to be in the category of maybe one of the best teams to never win a Super Bowl if they don't pull one out this year or next year, because there only year five or six of being a real contender in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Well, you're looking at a couple of Hall of Fame players that you have with McCaffrey and Fred Warner. I don't know if Kittle's going to be Trent Williams a Hall of Famer. I mean, you have you have the blueprint here, but all of a sudden, you know, you realize we can't stay healthy and you know Arizona's going to pick you off.
Speaker 5: Maybe you know.
Speaker 2: These things just happen where you go, Well, that team's not very good, you know, the Rams with that coach, you know he's capable of beating anybody, but you know he's got injuries too with Cooper, Cup, Pooka Nkua, So it's not a foregone conclusion with anything with the forty nine ers. In my opinion, it feels like it's Detroit, and then you might have two or three teams underneath them, but it's definitely Detroit. And even in the AFC, is it Kansas City just because they're undefeated back after this