Speaker 1: Sam Sanders and his best friends, writer Said Jones and journalist Tony Award winning producer Zach Stafford have a podcast where they make sense of what's going on in the news and our culture, from Elon Musk and Foreign Policy, do How to Heal from a Breakup? And Scissor's album sos. They check the vibe of what's going on in the world and how it all feels. It's your favorite group chat, come to life. Join the Weekly Kiki every Wednesday. Listen to and follow Vibe Jack wherever you get your podcasts. Warning this podcast nate spoilers for season four, episode seven of Succession on HBO Excuse Me Max, and season two episode five and six of Yellowjackets on the beleaguered Showtime Network. Hello, my name is Jason the Stepsion, and I'm Merseay Night, and welcome to xt revision of the Cryket Media podcast, where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture.
Speaker 2: In this episode, it's market Moves. Get your money ready, gather stocks and bonds. It's happening. It's Succession, season four, episode seven. It's depressing, but the money is moving. The money's moving in the airlock speaking of depressing, it's Yellow Jackets season two, episode five and six. Back from that absolutely heart wrenching break to an absolutely heartbreaking episode. Just prepare yourself, nerd out guess what. It's a Yellow Jackets theory from listener to your and I love it, so we're ready. Yellow Jackets time is here coming up.
Speaker 1: Market movesdoj legal arm of the GEO v Gove. There's also the FTC fcc FBI.
Speaker 3: It's Market Moves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, it's Market Moves and its election eve. Folks, as we talk about episode seven of Succession Tailgate party on here, on Market Moves your number one source for getting rich, get paid, getting more money than you know what to do with spending the entire GDP of the of Serbia just to get something nice for yourself.
Speaker 3: Because you deserve that. Welcome to Marco Moves.
Speaker 1: As I said, it's election eve in the Succession universe, which means a big at n party at Kasa Wam's gans hosted by Tom and Shiv.
Speaker 3: What do you think about that.
Speaker 2: They should not have hosted this party together? I could have told them that last week. I understand that they were failing lonely. They had to reconnect. But this was a bad move. I would sell, sell, sell on Tom and Hiv.
Speaker 1: We'll just saying I think you're you're jumping the gun, because before you sell, before you buy, let's talk about something that's that's red hot, and that's the sexual.
Speaker 3: Relationship.
Speaker 1: Tom and Shiv rejuvenated. They're back together, at least on the physical plane. Shiv, meanwhile, is acting as Matson's informant on the inside of Wastar roycoach. She's letting the Swede in real time know how her brothers intend to tank the Gojo deal, which is huge because Ken's living plush. Spiel sent Wastar's stock into the stratosphere. Tom, because they've things are going so well, at least the sex, they can't stop texting about it.
Speaker 3: It's disgusting.
Speaker 2: They also like incredibly boring text us and it's like, really sad.
Speaker 3: How's the sex? Unbelievable? How's your PETI is?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, money, it's not giving them any good sexting skills.
Speaker 1: Tom gives Shiv the gift of a scorpion in some sort of plastic, some sort of acrylic. I wish we knew what a company put the scorpion in the acrylic so he could invest in it. But he does this one because it's a reference to the famous frog and the scorpion tail, which is a lesson about how the parable about how the scorpion's across the river and the frog is there, and he says, hey, frog, I need to cross the river.
Speaker 3: Can I get on your back? And the frogs like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: You're a scorpion. You sting because you have the stinger and that's how it goes. And the Scorpion's like, no, I.
Speaker 3: Won't do it.
Speaker 1: I promise because if I if I stung you, you would you would die and then I would drown.
Speaker 3: So I'm not going to do it.
Speaker 1: And then as the frog is taking the scorpion across the river, it stings it. And this is the thing that Tom is referencing here.
Speaker 2: Very romantic.
Speaker 3: I think it's very romantic. I think it's wonderful.
Speaker 1: And he says that it's because a shiv is being quote such a hot piece of ass and quote a foxy little minx, and I think that's wonderful.
Speaker 2: I want to say, if Tom had just bought Shiv a nice piece of jewelry, here or something vaguely sentimental. I feel like the whole fall out of this episode could have been avoided. But it is actually good that the episode goes the way that it needs to go, because this is just truth a curry the scorpion that will go down in all time TV terrible gifts. But I loved every second.
Speaker 1: I don't think it was that bad. I think it was kind of funny, and I think Shiv. I think Shiv is just a person who can't take any criticism or reference to how shitty she has been.
Speaker 3: But also Tom is shitty, so it's hard to unwrap.
Speaker 2: I think I think Tom. I think you raise a great point. I think Tom was ready to be more self aware and like snarky and self referential about how toxic their relationship was. Shif is not ready for that. Chiff wanted to settle back into this idea that they had some great marriage that was passionate and they loved each other and they could trust each other. But that's just not true.
Speaker 1: Ken Roy is busy working on things that are happening on six continents, and he's doing it all because he wants to protect his children. Allegedly. On that note, he meets Rava, his ex. Rava has called this meeting which Ken barely has that listen if this is a legal thing, He says like, I just don't have time for it.
Speaker 3: I don't have the bandwidth.
Speaker 1: I got all this stuff happening, this gojo and the suite and all this stuff and the living plus and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 1: And she says, Okay, what happened is our daughter, Sophie was pushed by a person who was wearing a raven head hat and they also kind of said something of a racial nature. Now, a Ravenhead, you might recall, is the atn anchor who has read Mind Camp several times and has named his dog Blondie after Hitler's dog Blondie Rip Blondie.
Speaker 3: Ken flips out, saying to Rava.
Speaker 1: Like, where were you? Why was our daughter on the street? Kid, Like I would do anything to protect her. You must tell me all the details. And Robin's like, why don't you try calling her every once in a while?
Speaker 2: Rob's like, why was I raising your daughter?
Speaker 1: Raising your daughter while you were who knows what? Prop Number one here on market moves. What's the longest a parent can go without talking to their child and still be considered a good parent. How long let's say the child is.
Speaker 3: Thirteen.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be controversial. Hit. If Kendall Roy was my dad, I would actually think it was baf him to not call me.
Speaker 4: So I'm saying the longer he goes, the bad parent he is in calling my child. Interesting. I think you can go eighteen hours. You have to call every day.
Speaker 1: At thirteen, he hasn't been calling her eighteen months.
Speaker 2: I'm just laying.
Speaker 1: You it's been it's been a it's been a year's certainly months.
Speaker 3: But I think it's you.
Speaker 2: Have to I think it text maybe.
Speaker 1: I think I think if it doesn't average out to something like once every business day, then probably something is wrong. And I think let's put an absolute floor on it. Three and a half times a week.
Speaker 2: I think that's good because also it could start with once a day when you get the divorce and you just want the kids to know you all that, and then it can become more of a chill routine thing. But we know if he can go, it can go down.
Speaker 3: It can go down.
Speaker 2: Are you going to have the consistency? Yes? I think.
Speaker 3: Okay, Now what about eight years old? Eight years old.
Speaker 2: You should be calling him every night to say good night. Let's be real. If it's your good parent, Kendall, worry, he's probably sending Oka say money.
Speaker 1: Okay, but what if Ken is working on things on six continents and times content minus Antarctica. But we're working on something there obviously. And by the way, stock tip of the day look for waste star roycode to.
Speaker 3: Expand into entire There's something happening there. I can't really.
Speaker 2: Talk about more tips.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, on the gojo front, Ken and Roman are pulling out all the stops to kill this deal, to murder it in its crib. That means full penetrative rat fucking, and attempt to find any issue at all, personal or professional with which to attack Mats and to get him out of their hair. In case the stock bump fades or Mattson decides to come over the top of one, he somehow finds the juice to come over one ninety two. Also like props to Ken for this living plus stock bump, this completely fictitious technology slash real estate mashup. It's amazing that this bump has taken place, but it might.
Speaker 3: It could feed.
Speaker 2: You never know, I will say horrible to say it, but if.
Speaker 3: You're here, this is Marco muse saying.
Speaker 2: I'm saying if you're here for the money, if you're here for the moves. This is the hard truth. Kendall's nightmarish manic performance with the stockbump and how good Roman is at rat fucking. That is a powerful combination if they could keep that consistent. Because Roman finds that shout quickly through like one phone call. He doesn't have to cozy up to Lucas, he doesn't have to play a game. He wants it done, and he has those connections. That is a dangerous pairing. The problem is we know that the two of them are not consistent. This guy knows how to fuck a rat. He knows how to fuck a rat. That's one thing people say about Roman Amory the.
Speaker 1: Boys speaking of rat fucking, they need an expert. You don't just go amateur when it's time to rat fun. You have to go for a professional. So the Boys invite Democratic strategist, former ship boy and current chief of staff something to Gil Evis and also affiliated with the with potential President elect Jimenez. They call Nate in to work the regulatory angle. Shiv gets word of this, and she calls Lucas to warn him, Hey, my brothers are going to go regulatory. Why don't you come to the Aten election party. My dad, before he died bending over the toilet to fish his phone out, did invite you to the Aten election party. So why don't you just come to the party because you need to counter this regulatory strategy. Meanwhile, Greg, acting as Tom Wamscan's hangman, fires one hundred folks from eight in in three days promptly number two zoom And honestly, that's the kind of empathy and warmth and emotion that I That was beautifully done.
Speaker 2: I have to say, I feel like that is one of the realist moments that has ever been in Succession, is that you're getting fired by some Nepo baby over zoom who's reading. He's not even quarter, he's just the just then and you're getting fired by a nepple baby over the zoom with CODs and he can't even read them, right, it was perfection.
Speaker 1: One thing I'll note, and I think this is one of the most subtle subtle messages from in the world of Succession. If you watch that zoom, it's uh, I was surprised to see that so many women and women of color and people of color work at ATN. Always the first to go yep, that's what Tom wams gans know knows, and that's what Greg is helping him with. Prompt number two, Are you a good person if you work for ATN?
Speaker 2: No? I just I'm sorry. Everyone everyone has to have a job. I understand the hair at market moves. We have very good job with very rich We have millions of dollars, billions of dollars. We don't you know, we can't really complain. But look, I worked in a lot of sheet jobs in my life, and there's always a shit job that you can take to pay the rent that is not working at ATN, that is not promoting like a neo Nazi UH presidential candidate. Also, I think it's the ultimate trap. There are surely people there are ATN who are subjectively or even objectively like all good people, and they want to change things from the inside let happen.
Speaker 1: They love their they love their pets, they love their kids, They call their kids once every month.
Speaker 3: Good people work at ATN.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, at the party, Roman gets a call from GOP presidential candidate Hair mancing. You know about Jared Mencin, the neo Nazi fascist GOP candidate who we just mentioned Team one thousand year Reich is down in the polls. They're down from a thousand years. It looks like it's going to be I don't know, we can't really put a number on it, but certainly they're like three percent down in the polls. And they figure, hey, here's an idea from camp mencan.
Speaker 3: What if.
Speaker 1: Presidential candidate Connor Roy, currently pulling at one present in Alaska and other states with similar wildlife to people ratios, drops out? What if he drops out? The people who love Connor Roy, the kanheads might go Mencon. To sweeten the deal for Connor, they offer him the ambassadorship to Somalia. He counters with, Hey, I love to get to Europe. Of course he would, of course, he of course he'd love to get to Europe. What he says, what if I come up through the underbelly? What if I come up to the Balkans? What about Albania? What about Croatia? What about Bosnia Herzegovina? What about one of those places? They say, no, okay, what about South Korea? Top ten and GDP and they have nukes. No, okay, what about North Korea? We don't have an ambassador there. Yeah, but what if I'm the guy? What if I open it up like Nixon and China? They're like, no, okay, what about Oman?
Speaker 3: Interesting?
Speaker 1: Connor says, I'll take it to Willa and we'll see what happens. I will pitch Oman to her. Lucas arrives at the party in a gold shiny bomber.
Speaker 2: Is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable and I think maybe my favorite detail from this episode. Lucas Matson arrives wearing Kyries.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is such a big state, and that constantly in frame. Yeah, all the times he's always sitting in some funny posts, so you can see that he's wearing I.
Speaker 3: Want you to know that he's wearing Kyries.
Speaker 1: Lucas Mattson probably knows nothing about the NBA, but huge fan of Kyrie.
Speaker 2: And that says what it says, It really does.
Speaker 1: The bros are thrown for a loop. They didn't expect Mattson to be here. They have no idea that this is Shiv's doing, so they tell Shiv you need to stick to him like glue. Okay, and find out what he's up to. She goes over to Matson and she says, listen, you need to act semi normal. This is a big deal. You're on the biggest stage, right I act like you're Kyrie. You get the ball in your hands, game seven clock winding down. You need to act normal, like a normal capitalist who maybe fires like one hundred people over zoom over three days, not some eurotech like data freak who just thinks of people as like a way to acquire information and intelligence.
Speaker 3: Don't do that.
Speaker 1: Act like a person who just has a lot of money, a regular.
Speaker 3: Person who's a lot of money. No normal, that's right.
Speaker 1: Later, mattson Lobby's Nate, Nate Shiv's former flame, telling him listen, I'm a normal guy, just like Shiv has been telling me to say.
Speaker 3: These are safe hands and what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: You're gonna let the deal go through to the fail Suns and they're just like their dad, but they're dumber like I'm smart. I'm from Europe and I created Gojoe YadA, YadA, YadA. You should give it to me. I'm wearing kyries and a cool bomber.
Speaker 3: I'm cool.
Speaker 1: He also says and also big changes at ATN. Like you don't like as a Democrat, you don't like the messaging that comes from ATN because why because they support a neo Nazi.
Speaker 3: Kennedy a big deal. But for you, here's what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna do regime change like you guys did Interact. I'm gonna do regime change there and everybody out you know who that means. Particularly that means Tom Doo's apartment.
Speaker 3: We're doing this in but we're gonna fire Tom. But don't tell him.
Speaker 1: He's standing right over there watching me say this, but don't say anything. Ken also pitches Nate, Hey, okay, I know you just had a minute with Lucas Mattson.
Speaker 3: Here's my pitch.
Speaker 1: What if you take Uncle Sam big muscly thighs and you wrap them around Gojo's neck and you squeeze, and in return for that, ATN will go easy Like Sunday morning on President Jimenez.
Speaker 3: For his first hundred days.
Speaker 1: You walk into that first hundred days, that big press conference where you say, hey, here's what happened in the first hundred days, and you go there without any criticism or anything from ATN.
Speaker 3: We're just going to.
Speaker 1: Talk about like how the water is making people grow breasts on their cheeks or something like that. Okay, that's right, Or how Disney now wants everybody to wear pink all the time. That's what we're going to talk about at ATN, not the president. Prob Number three, is this a good deal? Regulation for smooth sailing on ATN for one hundred days?
Speaker 3: Good deal? Do you counter? If you are Nate?
Speaker 2: I think Nate knows Kendall too well to know that Kendall cannot promise that ATN those people are going to say whatever they want. We know that the anchors are going to say what they want. You can fire as many of them as you want if you want the ratings, which Kendall wants. They're going to say wow, shit, and they're not gonna support a Democrat. Go easy on a Democrat. Also, this is a bad plan in general because they essentially want the regulation to stop the deal because they're going to say it's a monopoly issues.
Speaker 3: Especial crossover gambling.
Speaker 2: I have seen in real life when those mergers are stopped, both companies lose a fuck ton of money. So this is just a pure chaotic Kendle plan, and I sees.
Speaker 1: You can't have like a Swedish person with their head corporate headquarters in Norway. That's like an anti trust thing. You will find something.
Speaker 3: Law that's law.
Speaker 1: Ken in Rome discover bom Bomb that Matson has been doing something untoward towards his head of communications. Ever, this includes, but is perhaps not limited to, the sending of bodily fluids, certainly blood, perhaps others. And also have we done at also which, to be fair, could just be stuck in the blood.
Speaker 2: We don't know what that was.
Speaker 1: So they Yeah, I'm just saying, like, let's cut the guy's some slack. Obviously that's bad, but you know what. Anyway, they approach her after Greg walks up and fake fires her on Lucas's behalf kind of trying to get close to the guy, and they discover from Ebba the gojo's Indian numbers, the subscriber numbers from India are fraudulent, a sham. They're for gazy. This is just the thing they need to get the government to kill the deal. They don't even need to get the government to kill the deal. They can just tell the board, hey, it's fifty percent stock in a company that's inflated because the Indian numbers are fake and the board will absolutely reject them.
Speaker 2: I just want to mention, do you remember recently in the history of Succession where somebody else named Kendall Roy inflated some numbers.
Speaker 3: I don't recall. I don't. I don't recall. That may have happened, and we may have.
Speaker 1: We may have talked about and if I did talk about it, then I just don't remember it right now. Sorry, I just changed vitamins and I'm going up.
Speaker 3: This news set. Shiit of shivering.
Speaker 1: She's concerned because she has gone full mats, and she confronts him and he's basically like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Is exactly why I think Mason is so dangerous is because Mason is the only honest person. He's fucking horrible, but he's honest about it. He's honest about lying, honest about being a sham. He's honest about the way he abuses people. He's the opposite of the Roys, who do all of that ship and struggle to repress it and keep it secret. But I did really feel for shif here because I had been enjoying watching Shiv just decimate and betray her brothers who had caught her out. But this timed on her way quicker than.
Speaker 1: You send some blood. Maybe it's twice the amount of blood that you thought. Maybe maybe the maybe the test tube is bigger than you expected and you have to fill it up. And now you've said, whatever the case may be, the Indian numbers, Lucas says, are imagine if there were two Indias, but they.
Speaker 2: Might make sense.
Speaker 3: Then they might make sense.
Speaker 1: So in other words, they have two hundred percented India. No wonder, the stock looks great, and he says, like, listen, here's what's up. It's not gonna fucking matter. Sure, if this drags out the the reddit, you know, Wall Street bets subreddit people, those under the brim Thromblins down there, those mean stalkers, they'll get out there and they'll short me and they'll put all sorts of funny little gifts under the under the short and stuff, and they'll they'll be.
Speaker 3: Mean to me.
Speaker 1: But if this waste, if the Waistar deal goes through, and it goes through quick, then you just do you do a little like Doug heading, like a little magician. You're just kind of like go like this and then like it's gone, It's gone SHIV. Meanwhile, Roman chats with Jerry, who is attending the party, but she's very angry. She's angry because Roman actually did fire her. As we saw the last episode, it was kind of like a half firing. It's gone full firing.
Speaker 2: He wants to pretend it wasn't a full firing. He's in covering what he's Oh, it wasn't real. I just said it. But Jerry has had a true revelation here that I wish more people around the boys would have.
Speaker 3: She's outing.
Speaker 1: And Jerry says, listen, you did fire me. That was true what you did do it. And here is what I want to turn because I'm going full fucking legal on your ass.
Speaker 3: Okay, I want hundreds of millions of dollars.
Speaker 2: I want to ring sums, taking nothing less. Jerry is here for the money. We respect our market move. She deserves it. She's probably the shape it too long.
Speaker 1: The money. All when you look at this figure, all the blood drings from your body and runs down out through your feet.
Speaker 3: And you die. That's how much money I want.
Speaker 1: Secondarily, Jerry says, I have hired a full pr team to craft the narrative around this separation. It's not going to be a firing. It's going to be a mutual party away something that makes me look good and makes me look like a fucking hot shot. And if you, Roman, Roy, try to fuck with that narrative it.
Speaker 2: All for years. She's like, for five years, if I have anything that contradicts me, I say.
Speaker 1: I'm going Dnghis Khan on your fucking ass and I'm releasing all of the copious dick pics the you have sent me over the several months with which we had a very strange dalliance. So don't let that happen. And and Roman's.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, he really doesn't have a choice. I think he in I really believe in that moment he was like, I'm just giving out the money.
Speaker 1: After talking it over with will O Connor decides to stay in the race. Anything happens is the beauty of the system. And I've been saying this for years. I've been saying this for years, Rosie.
Speaker 3: The beauty of the.
Speaker 1: American system is anything can happen, any any any dark horse candidate can suddenly become president. Now Roman is pissed because he's like, well, why are you listening to Willa and not like your brother?
Speaker 3: This is like really important.
Speaker 1: You've you've gotten the carrot, You've been offered the ambassadorship to Aman, take it. You're not going to be elected president and your wife and Air quotes He says doesn't know what she's about, but cong goes with Willa because she's the only one who believes them, And I think that's sweet. Prop Number four, buy or sell con and Willer? How long do you give them?
Speaker 2: I'm buying Conan Willer right now because I truly believe in the fucked up world of succession and the real world, I don't. I'm not fully betting against the fact that Connor could become president just because it's so Nightmary. Anything can happen, or could become vice president to Menkin or something. And I also think, look, we are Willer supporters here, we are support of Willa.
Speaker 3: I would say she's a playwright.
Speaker 2: She's a playwright, talented writer, talent right, creative. You know, they just bought a sixty five million dollar house in Figure. It's a fixer upper. You know, they need to stay there. They need to commit their time to that. They need to make sure that that's going to become the home where they want to live. They don't need to go to a month and she doesn't need to decorate. What's she going to do? Take her mom to decorate the compound?
Speaker 1: When when conn is telling her about about Oman, the Jewel of Arabia, Uh, she says, but where we live in a compound in Muscat And she would say and she says, but it's would we be above ground?
Speaker 2: That was my favorite willing moment. I was like, I know she's been up late at night, look at looking at those like uh war three like talking compounds on the ground that like are like six miles in a tube. She's been she's been planning.
Speaker 1: She thinks they're gonna like live in hobbiton or something nice.
Speaker 3: I also agree.
Speaker 1: I'm going along on conon Willa. I think they're gonna go the distance. And by the distance, I mean the natural lifespan of either partner. Yes, one of them will perish before the divorce I agree is final and that's the bottom line. Lucas and Ken get into it in front of the whole party. It is very awkward and weird. Uh. They kind of start out with with Lucas kind of playing the like the like the euro supremacist card, saying essentially like New York City, it's it's a second class city, not like any all the other first class cities like in the in the world, like I don't know, Singapore, which is a city state or soul, you know. And then and then they pivot to Gojo's numbers. Ken says, well, what about your India's numbers? That's pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: Looking amazing, almost unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then, uh, Lucas has absolutely no comeback for this, and so he calls the Living plus numbers, which Ken pitched so ably in the previous episode.
Speaker 3: He calls them gay.
Speaker 2: I have to say, this is actually a very accurate European insult, like sadly, like that is still where we're at, like so much of my life that was like if something was bad, that's what people would say. Also, I just want to say this is a classic Lucas isn't actually an idiot and he's not dangerous at all. Moment Oh, he could have just done reflection. He could have just been like, well, bye, you're living plus numbers. Those were looking kind of crazy, and he could have just said exactly what Kenda said, but instead he went for the weird homophobic insults and in a party that somehow it was very strange, but it was very, very perfectly awkward.
Speaker 3: Ken points out that that is in fact homophobic, and strangely. Ken is right.
Speaker 1: They hug it out and Lucas Lee, which is also extremely strange. And then in the Big Papper to the Evening, Tom fed up with forty of the US's most important, most powerful, most culturally relevant people gossiping about how he's about to get.
Speaker 3: Fucking shit canned.
Speaker 1: He basically says, like, h shit, I'm going to bet I can't take any more of this. She was like, what, the party's not over yet. You get to stay up for like forty five more minutes. The votes are coming in, all that kind of stuff. So they go outside and they have a huge fight about their relationship and we're.
Speaker 2: Trying to play lost Windows that everyone every and.
Speaker 3: Can hear it.
Speaker 1: This is echoing across the canyons of New York City. Tom is saying that Shiv is broken.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: He's saying, you wanted me to go to prison. She's like, you wanted to go, but you want to go to prison.
Speaker 1: He's like, but yeah, you were happy, you like couldn't wait for me to go to prison and uh, and she's like, but all right, but I'm like super stressed because I put like a big bet on Matson and it looks like Mattson has hit the iceberg and is going down and he says we should never have gotten married and uh, and she says that's right because you're a HIC and your family are strivers and are fucking losers. And also your mom Caroline likes me better than you, So what does that say? And then finally she says, she says, I don't even care about you. You don't deserve me and you never did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that comeback comes off that Tom tells that you shouldn't be a mom, which we all know is super brutal because SIV is currently pregnant as far as we know, maybe as far away baby someone it's unclear that's a baby at play. This was just an unbelievably hard to watch argument.
Speaker 3: It was very very hard to watch.
Speaker 1: And then the uh, the uh, the palate cleanser for this, the ginger as they say, uh is Ken talking to Frank saying, hey.
Speaker 2: Ken is such a little fucking snake.
Speaker 1: He's like, hey, come with me, we're gonna run it back. Frank is like, I don't understand this, this lingo of the children. I don't what does that mean? And he says, this is what we do. We go reverse Viking. Right, Gojo's numbers are inflated. Once that news hits the street, they're gonna be buyable. We buy them, waste oar Royko buys Gojo and then we rule the world. Frank, are you in? He's like, okay, but what about what about Roman and Chiv? And he says, I don't know what about him? I don't see him here? Do you see him?
Speaker 3: That's right? Do you say you have him in your pocket? Frank? Where are they? Although though they're not here, that's right. It's you and me. Do you want?
Speaker 1: In Prompt number five is can the new logan or will he go down in flames at the end of this season?
Speaker 2: I would love to see him go down in flames because I think he is just a soulless person. But I think if we look at the reality of succession, I think now would be a smart time to buy in on Kendall because I do believe that he could potentially become the next Logan, and I think we could end you heard it here first, Bye bye, bye bye. I think we could end in a situation where essentially nothing has changed, which I think is kind of the point of succession, where you end up with a new shithead that everyone in the family hates but kind of has to bow down to. In my dream, I want to see it where it's like Greg is in charge, because that's just so terrible. But I think the way Kendall is moving, and the way that Frank is tempted by this deal, even though he's wanted to be out, I think three episodes left, I think Kendall has a chance.
Speaker 1: I think that he's going down, and I think he's going down not in flames, but in waves. He says, notably to Lucas, I am the wave. I am the wave that's going to wash you away. And when I say waves, I mean the water that drowned the waiter at Shiv's wedding. I think, just like Roman Kenna, rat fucking Lucas. I think Lucas he's not just like some stationary prey. He must have his minions out there as well, looking for rats to have intercourse with and I think if he finds the right rat, that rat will divulge that Kenneth Roy killed a guy.
Speaker 2: Okay, I will say, all out kill the guy. I'm this isn't out that one. I wouldn't bound it. But if you're brave, if you want to take a risk. He killed who, as you mentioned, was so great at rat fucking today, it was Roman. Kendall has just gone into that room essentially said fuck Shiv, Fuck Roman, you know, fuck the fail bros, fuck the co CEOs. Roman could be the one to Rat. Fuck Kendall. I mean, na.
Speaker 3: Shiv can do it too. Notably, Can admitted.
Speaker 1: To his siblings that yes he did kill and listen, I hate to pull this card, but is that not one of the ten commandments?
Speaker 3: Don't do it?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: That's it says, right. There are number three or four.
Speaker 2: It's like thousands of years, guys, didn't you know by that.
Speaker 1: Number one is like the false idols. Number two is something.
Speaker 2: Else speaker to but don't kill someone. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then there's like the coveting one, and then there's like, hey, don't kill and that includes waiters at your sister's wedding. Don't do it and yet and it's illegal. I think it's gonna come out. I think Lucas and or Shive d or Roman are gonna hang that dead waiter.
Speaker 3: Kids that waiter, all right, think.
Speaker 1: It's folks for Kenneth roy Short that stock right now.
Speaker 3: Up next, Yellow Jackets.
Speaker 2: We're stepping out of the airlock and into Yellow Jackets season two. And because there was a break, we're doing episodes five and six. We're gonna be a bit speedy through five so we can get into the real meat upon absolutely intended Episode six, Episode five, two Truths in the Lie, directed by Ben Semonof and written by Katherine Kurns and Sarah L. Thompson, picks off right where we left off end of episode four. Adult Van. She's running a VHS store. She's recommending queer cinema classics like Cheryl Daniel's Watermelon Woman. She's all in kids on VCR on all the things that you need if you want to watch an old videotape. And then lo and behold who walks in. It's tie and she's looking fucked up as always. It's going bad and in the nineties Wilderness what his followers are growing. She's doing some innocuous morning meditation. Sure doesn't seem that bad doing some breathing, listening to things, but there's an weird underlying threat of her becoming ever obsessed with Shawna's baby, who she can't wait to meet. Speaking of Seawanna's kids, Callie's still dating a COPO.
Speaker 3: This is listen.
Speaker 1: I know that cops they can do almost anything, except for when you ask them of their cop they have to tell you obviously, But like that's like it's like when you invite a vampire into your house. Yeah, can do anything, so but this feels like you can't do I have to.
Speaker 2: Say that literally can't take a high school girl and then still use the stuff she told you. So. In a rare move which I think is going to see rise up the fan faves, Callie quickly discovers that Jay is really this cop at m Sarahcusa thanks to him paying for their bowling tab, their innocent date bowling tab with his real card, and she decides to use this against him. In a very shifty shorna moved.
Speaker 3: I thought it was yeah, really well done.
Speaker 2: She just immediately says to him, oh, man, you're right, we should we should take things slow because he seems to think it's only illegal if he sleeps with her, which seems extremely fucked up but probably true. And she's like, you're right, we should take things slow because I just found out my mom she was cheating on my dad. But it wasn't with that guy that you think she murdered. No, it was with Randy, poor old slobby Randy. Back in the forest, Lovely Crystal and Misty are bonding over their mutual crash on Jack Gavorkian, famous doctor Death.
Speaker 3: I love what he's doing.
Speaker 1: I just think he's doing is sob it's so important, it's so good in retrospect, Is it a red that Misty loves a guy who takes people's lives like that's her not.
Speaker 2: Feeling berries hopeful for the fates of all those old people that she works with. Oh good, looking, bad looking bad, Oh good. Speaking of Misty and the present, Walter Lovely Elijah Wood doing just the most here. He's trying to bond with her. They're playing two tricks and a lie. He is very rich. He owns many Taco bell bonds, even though Anne stocks. He's been listening to market moves, but he's never eaten there. Misty does not care because all she cares about is fine in Natalie. That's right, And Natalie has stuck a lot his compound. And eventually, when Misty gets there and Natalie's like, please go away, don't ruin this for me, Van and Ty they reunited. You might think it's romantic. You might have been hoping for the lesbian love affair. No, Van is pissed off. Van's like, I know why you're here. Yeah, She's like, I haven't seen you for a long time. Why are you? It must be that sleepwalking, sleep walking again, killing people, chopping dog's heads off.
Speaker 3: How did you guess?
Speaker 2: Andy's like, yeah, yeah, but I got you this pen with like a boobs you can see a woman's boom. And Van is actually very charmed because we learn here that they were together long enough that they attended Jeff and Shawna's wedding together where they used one of these boob pen stop set like Jeff's mom. She could see the bosoms. She was very upset and poor Jeff. Speaking of Jeff, Shawna and Cally finally begin to bond as Cally reveals that she's now a criminal master mind who's lying to the cops. Jeff is very upset, but Sean's like, wait a.
Speaker 1: Minute, just like every day is like some other piece of insane bad news.
Speaker 3: Hey honey, I'm having an affair.
Speaker 1: Also I killed the guy. Hey honey, our daughter is fucking a cop.
Speaker 2: And he knows about it. And also she is complicit because I decided the best thing to do was to like tell her that I'm a murderer. So Shauna is very impressed with Callie's plan, though she does later on in the episode say it would have been better if you slept with him, because then it would have been in admissible.
Speaker 3: A fucking crazy thing, absolutely nuts.
Speaker 2: Sean is like, Cally, good plan. I'm gonna go to the motel with Randy and pretend to have sex with him, and you're gonna tell the cops. My mom's going to have sex with Randy at the motel. This is a terrible pank because Randy's an idiot, so I already knew this is going badly, But good for making most.
Speaker 3: Why don't you just actually fuck Randy?
Speaker 2: Literally, you've already like everything.
Speaker 3: Else, you have an affair and then kill the person.
Speaker 1: Somebody he's actually gonna have sex with you, Yeah, and you involved your husband and all that.
Speaker 3: Just have sex with Randy or.
Speaker 2: One Jeff go with you and you have sex with Jeff and Randy just being there. I don't know, there's some kind of plan that could have been bad. Meanwhile, in the wilderness, Oh, Travis is trying to break through to Harvey. Harvey's still staying quiet. Nobody knows where he went, Nobody knows what happened.
Speaker 1: I am with Travis here, Harvey. I know it's been tough. You've been out there. No one knows who've been going through. It's crazy. Yeada, YadA, YadA, YadA, Bro, where the fuck have you been?
Speaker 2: That's all I need to know. Yeah, he's saying, just tell me that one thing, nothing else. Just tell me that you did you survive?
Speaker 3: Have to fucking it's for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, literally, And obviously Travis is still you know, He's saying to him like it's okay, Like some fucked up shit happened on Doom coming, Like they did try and have an orgy and rape me and then try and kill me. It was really fucked up. I'm sorry you saw that. And finally, as Natalie's like, don't worry, man, like, just give him time. Listeners, you've been waiting for us to acknowledge it. You've been waiting for Travis to acknowledge it. Travis yells at Natalie and he's like, fuck you. You faked the bloody clothes that you found in the forest to make me give up looking for Harvey.
Speaker 1: I mean, fair play to Travis, but if I'm Natalie here, I'm doubling, tripling, quadrupling down and just being like, what this fucking bloody there was bloody clothes.
Speaker 2: I don't know where I thought it was.
Speaker 3: I don't know where it came from.
Speaker 2: That. You're right, she should have done that. She's too honest, too pure. I will say she's right, though she's like, it doesn't make sense, Like I thought he was dead, Sorry, he should be dead. What the fuck is going on?
Speaker 1: It absolutely doesn't make sense. But that's a a very tough message when he is there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And it's also like really because how he's like, Travis is like, you know, maybe I could have saved him, like and he wouldn't be so fucked up. I was like, bro, it was just like three days later or something like, it was not much of a difference. Speaking of Natalie, she's trying to enact her plans to uncover a lot. He's evil again, sees Misty not happy about it, meets what she's like, who the fuck is this? Misty leaves and uh, it's a big Misty episode this week because here we go getting to someone. This is the big moment this episode. We learn a lot about Missy's twisted view on friendship as she and Crystal grow ever closer. They're bonding over these weird secrets, like having a crush on They're too warm, they're.
Speaker 1: Too optimistic, you could feel the dark something.
Speaker 2: Was going to happen. And they're bonding. They're telling their darkest secrets. Crystal's talking about she let a finger bang her. In the lead up to Hello Body, Misty walked in on her parents having Oh yeah, that the song they were saying when it happened, and uh, Misty is too comfortable because Cristal's really selling it. Christal's like, we are. Yeah. Not many people find people who will accept them for who they And I was like knowing at the screen and I was like, don't your.
Speaker 3: Deemest dog a secrets? I will excite accept that all about you. Whatever it is about you.
Speaker 2: Misty's face is glowing and I'm like, Misty, do not fucking do it. But I know you're going to do it. And Misty says, you've got a pinky swear, so they pinky swear, and she reveals to Crystal that the day after they crashed, she found the black box and GPS tracker of the plane and destroyed it. And she's like, don't tell anyone. And Christal's like, what the fuck is wrong with you? You're a psycho, You're the reason we never got rescued, like, and Missy's like, oh, I'm just joking Crystals. Like she's like, you're not that good of an actor, brutal And so you know Crystal rightfully or should I say Christa as we realized that her real name is Kristin I think, and she just never let anyone know because she's kind of meek and they got her name wrong and gave her a cool nickname, Crystal the Pistol. So she's backing away from Misty. She's gonna tell everyone. Understandably, obviously, Misty's freaking the fuck out because she's got a vague bit of acceptance post poisoning people and so she walks up to her, and I mean, Samantha Hanratty really delivers, because she is terrified delivers.
Speaker 3: It's all in the eyes, I believe. I believe.
Speaker 2: She looks Crystal and Christal says, what are you gonna do? Poison me? And Misty says, no, I will fucking kill you. And it's so scary that Crystal kind of steps back over the edge of a cliff. Whoops, all right, pe accidentally on purpose Misty's first murder.
Speaker 3: I'll say this, that is I think the penalty for breaking the Pinky swear.
Speaker 1: Okay, you swore that you would accept anything that Missy told you, and then you took it back after you pinky swore just because she destroyed the black Box and consigned all of you to endless weeks and months trapped in the wilderness.
Speaker 3: You said dead bodies, You said, you friend, you can't take that back, and now you're dead. That was fake.
Speaker 2: You know. Misty did not actually push us, so that was fate pushing her over the edge.
Speaker 3: But she, I mean, Misty like crowded her.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It wasn't a full like arms extended, but it was like I'm gonna get in your space and make a really scary face and I understand that you are like heels to a cliff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was accidentally on purpose, but we can say we have seen Missy's first victim at least as early as we know.
Speaker 1: And by the way, bad actress, I'm sorry, Crystal, you didn't see Misty playing.
Speaker 3: Off finding your dead body. You didn't see that because that was Merrol's street level.
Speaker 2: She is fucking ready. So things are going much beer in the present for Misty. Where we find out and an incredibly strange reflection that almost made me feel like was Walla somehow related to Crystal and this is like a weird vengeance plan. Walter reveals that he knows that Adam Adam who wasn't Harvey. He's like, he was murdered and it was you. I think you did it.
Speaker 3: Also, what a weird tone he does it in, Yeah, I just kind of like decided that you did it. I think you did it.
Speaker 2: And then and then in what was tense, he's like, but you gotta understand, it's like my grandma, I loved her. She sent me a Christmas card every year from prison because she mad at my grandpa.
Speaker 3: That's right, but you know what, she was.
Speaker 2: A good person. Like you're a good person. He's like, you're you're edgy, you're impulsive, you're charming, basically all the hallmarks of a serial killer. And I just want you to know I accept you. And Missus's like, not fucking doing this shit again, true, and she just leaves. She's like, I am not fucking doing that shit. And she's like, I'm gonna go join Lott East Colt because I gotta save my real friend Natalie. You know what, Natalie doesn't really want to help, but I once again appreciate Missy's tenacity. Van and ty were getting a lot of history here. Tya's a really bad friend, bad ex, bad friend, Van's mom died, Van's mom.
Speaker 1: Bad partner, bad mama, bad mom, bad bad stet senator.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, was going on about the state senatorship.
Speaker 3: Where had she been to the office doing her work?
Speaker 2: So we learned that Van's mum, who it seems like is implied that she was probably quite homophobic and toxic. Van had to take care of her for years as she died of cancer in Van's apartment. Van's business is going to shit, and Tye is like doing all this kind of weird emotional manipulation where she's like, I don't want your help because you know, I don't want you to get hurt, like everybody who I love. But it's like, Babe, you turned up at her house with no notice, so you kind of do want her help. And once again, like Bernie Sanders, we are asking for Tie to please get some professional help, and I don't like leave Van alone. Shawna and Randy's fake date is happening. It's really good. Shauna is absolutely decimating Randy, basically blackmailing him because he blackmailed her. And she's like, go and jerk off in this condom. It's a terrible idea. Randy cannot do it, and instead he's like, oh, there's some love, this will work. This could in no way backfire.
Speaker 1: I mean it's not I'm not a chemist, I'm not a biologist. It's an I don't think it's the same material.
Speaker 2: I would say. I think we can make that guess, right, at least, nat can.
Speaker 3: We check out?
Speaker 2: Guys?
Speaker 3: Can we can we check fact check? Is lotion the same as semen?
Speaker 2: We need that one fact check, guys. Seanna is not the only one doing a little confrontation as Natalie tries to show down Lottie and say Lotty scamming her followers, but turns out another surprise, lot has actually been super transparent. The followers give up their belongings and personal goods. They give their infots a lot because they trust her. Five stars on Yell Yeah, five stars for the wellness cult, and Lotty kind of breaks through to that in this moment, which is going to lead to this kind of huge, shocking potential reveal at the end of the episode thanks to some immersive regression therapy. Before we get to that, we're in the past. Lotty's freaking shawn her out. She's talking to the baby. Shawna's like I'm out, I'm gone. She goes into the woods. Where's she going? Nobody knows but her and Tire gonna get stuck in a winter storm and it's gonna end rather badly. Harvey reveals his first line, which he tells to useless coach Ben So I'm not sure why he did that, but I guess he doesn't know he's been useless. And he says, my friend told me not to come back. Who's he talking about?
Speaker 3: Who is he talking about?
Speaker 2: Aunt, the Queen, some kind of other friend whoever he was staying with. And then we get that Oscar winning acting from Misty as she makes it back to the cabin. This is also incredibly raw to Crystal because Misty's like, oh my god, I was out there. I lost Crystal in the snow. Oh my god, I was screaming her name and not Aquila in her give her her juice. She's like, we need to go find her. Everyone else goes, oh my god, Tie and sure and just leave, and it's like, poor Crystal, never getting the respect you deserve, never at all. Evan's home, we see nighttime Tie for the first time in a while, and she says, this is and where we're supposed to be very ominous after kissing Van unconsensually begging the question where does she want them to go? I'm sure we may find out soon. At Lotty's compound, Misty joins giving up all of her belongings. She's kind of like digging it a little bit, and Nat decides that she's going to do a regression of therapy with lot We learn a lot about her last night with Travis here. The pair got high, even though Travis was in a relationship and was trying to get clean and she odeed. While she overdosed, she had a nightmarish vision which showed all the girls on the plane dead done dun dune very much burnt up, as if they never survived the crash at all, and she says, we didn't make it, and Lotty says, none of us. Natalie claims that they brought something terrible back from the woods with them, and that is apparently what the note meant that Travis left where he said. Natalie was right, something did come back. So the big question is did they actually survive at all or is this all lost? Or are we in that parallel timeline.
Speaker 1: I think it's I think they did survive, but I think it's final destination. Yes, they cheated death.
Speaker 2: They cheated death, and now he wants it back. And speaking of cheating death, Shauna is about to die in a forest in the snow because she's going into labor, but using Lottie's mysterious meditation powers, the girls call Tie and Shauna back to the cabin just as Shauna goes into labor, and in one of the best needle drops in a series full of them, Misty says is she going into labor? And then they play mother by Danzig and the baby is coming long with the baby and it's onto Yellowjackets. Episode six.
Speaker 3: X ray Vision will be back. Hold on to your capers.
Speaker 1: We journey through the Internet to get to the x ray Vision YouTube channel. You can watch Me Jason Concepcion.
Speaker 2: And Me Rosie night every week for expert analysis and deep dives into your favorite franchises.
Speaker 1: Chest you're fandom knowledge with discussions on the latest NERD news castings and show lore.
Speaker 2: Subscribe to the x ray Vision YouTube now and listen to new episodes from us every Wednesday and Friday. And we're back this episode. If you've watched it, sorry that you've already watched it. If you haven't watched it, go and watch it, and then I'm sorry that you're gonna watch it. Qui directed by documentarian Liz Garbus and written by Karen Joseph Adcock and Amini Rosa. In a very nostalgic nineties flashback, coach Ben leads a health class session on pregnancy. Misty is extremely intire fun and games, fun and games, all funny, games lost, the flirting, lots of Shenanigans. Misty wants to know how much blood there is, but everyone else couldn't be less interested in what's going on on the screen, ironic seeing as one of them will soon be giving birth to Blur song too. It's sunah and people are singing woo hoo as she screams in agony and the girls freak out. Misty was planning to be the Dula alongside with Crystal, but now Crystal is gone aka murdered, Misty doesn't know what to do Cam Green Pine. Missy's given up her phone, Walter's still texting her, well, yeah, what's gonna happen? Who's I need to know more? I want to know how he's gonna come back into it. We only have three episodes left of Yellow Jacket season.
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Let me ask you.
Speaker 1: It feels like Walter is going to be the as as dark and twisted as Misty is. It feels like Walter is going to be an even more dark, I mean twisted character he is.
Speaker 2: I think the way they're setting him up as being sort of like infinitely wealthy, Yeah, and he doesn't have to do anything, and all he does is this kind of true crime. I would assume he's kind of a perfect crime killer. He has he can get away with whatever.
Speaker 3: He's like a most dangerous game guy.
Speaker 2: Very girl with the dragon tattoo. You know, you have a huge compound and you can do whatever you want. So maybe Misty has had a clean escape here. It could be because maybe Walter is a wants to punish people who he thinks a guilty kind of killer, so he finds people like Misty who decides have murdered and then decides to murder them. Lotty understandably quite freaked out when she sees Misty interestingly as well. Seems like all of the girls thought Lottie was still institutionalized, so they had not checked in on her for a while. But this made me feel very sad as someone who has struggles with mental health and has kind of like knows and loves a lot of people who do. Lotti starts to see Misty arriving as kind of like it inspires some magical thinking, and she starts to think like, well, the wilderness is sending these people to me. There's a reason that this is happening. And so suddenly she's like, well, mistery, why don't you stay. She's like, you love Naalie, right, could be good for her, could be good for your friend. And you know what, looks like Sean is going to need somewhere to hide too, because Kevin tan good old Kevin, Nalie's old boyf calls him up to the police station and he's like, hey, I need to talk to you. Jeff's like, babe, I've got your back. She's like, not you, You're relevant. She's like, he wants to talk to me and our daughter Kellie.
Speaker 3: Look, this, this is Kelly's high moment. This is the high watermark of Kelly.
Speaker 2: Kelly is too real. Seanna is losing it at this point. She is so chaotic. I will say, this is a crazy thing to say, we did mention this, But she does say to Kelly, Kelly's like, you know, I wasn't sleeping with him. We were just hanging out. Look. Shauna has no morals, no boundaries, and it's very chaoe. But she's not exactly wrong when she says it would have been better if you just sleep with him, then everything you would have told him would have been amissible. I will say, though, I feel like it's all in admissible. I feel it lying to a teenager A, No, it feels so.
Speaker 3: Going on a date with a teenage full day multiple who.
Speaker 1: You picked up in a bar under for the express purpose of discovering whether her mom killed.
Speaker 2: A guy or not, feels might not hold up in call.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's right. No, I don't think it's right.
Speaker 2: In There's many things going wrong in this episode, including in the wilderness. Shauna is in labor. We're here, the big episode is happening, the baby is coming, and the girls are really struggling to in like a non insane way. The reality of what is happening is quickly setting in. Lotty's crew starts saying unhinged things. He's like, let's share our hopes, and Maray goes wilderness. I hope that Shana doesn't die, and obviously Seana's like, what the fuck? Lotty starts a prayer circle and tis love for Shanna. I mean Jasmine Savoy Brown kills this episode. Yeah, it really shines through because she starts to push the colt away and basically decide she's going to support Shauna through this pain and the fear of the fact that this labor could go on for days. And Jasmine delivers this like series' best line where she's like you can fucking do anything to Seana when Sean is like, I can't do this, and it's just kind of the kind of line delivery that makes you tear up. At Lottie's, you know, modern day Wilderness Compound, Natalie is dealing with the fallout of her vision and kind of really feeling like she killed Travis Y she made him believe that something had come back, and you know, Lisa, I'm really trying to work out. I can't work if Nicole may AND's Lisa is gonna be a major player or is just like a really genuine great person that they've introduced because she has infinite patients and grace. It's a nice It doesn't matter what Natalie does. It is just like Lisa is there. Nali's shoeing a gun that's some ting cans, Noally's doing some crazy shit, and Lisa's there and she's like, I know things suck, man, but like we can get through this, and it's actually very very nice. So I'm interested to see where that goes. Van is sick of tie shit in the modern day as well, The Nighttime Ty reunion did not go well, and she says to Tie, like shelve these tapes, but you need to get out.
Speaker 3: I mean not even Shell. Don't worry about the tapes.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 3: Get the fuck out of my shop.
Speaker 2: Literally, that's out of Fan's too nice. You need to be gone out of that shop. Which, by the way, if you want to have some fun before the horrible things really start to get going. This episode, the production design on Van's VHS shop is so fun. Like every movie they have Airplane, they like fucking Scream, like every movie that they highlight in there is so directly connected to the plot of the show and the kind of incredible queerness in like Horror and John Ricinema. It's just really fun. So in the wilderness, Misty absolutely flops it like it's all been leading to this. She was obsessed with the video, but you know what, she's traumatized. Yeah, she actually is traumatized. I wrote up a great interview that my ed air Amelia did at IGN. I wrote up a huge piece breaking down this episode, and Samantha says, like this is really one of the first times that you see Misty as a human, like she is legitimately traumatized about what happened to Crystal, even though it was absolutely her fault. Just want to say that. So Misty runs away, akil Asta delivered the baby, and Natalie tries to bring in Coach Ben. At this point, I'm ready for them to eat Coach Ben, because he is truly useless. I think they're doing a very good, interesting character arc of like the adult failing and adult basically disassociating and not being able to tap into that feral nature that the girls can do. But Natalie tries to bring in Coach Ben, and he as useless as ever and goes back to his disassociation corner.
Speaker 3: I think that's unfair to Coach Ben.
Speaker 1: Not necessarily inaccurate, but maybe unfair to his particular situation. He is, of course concerned that one day he will be eaten.
Speaker 2: Okay, it is true. He did see the meat of a person, and he is a person, and he did not eat the person. So I do feel for him. But I do think there's a really they're doing something really interesting here about the teenage girls are more open and flexible to this kind of horrific situation, whereas he is stuck in this idyllic past. There's this great moment where all he wants to do is just play charades and he's so scared and it's really really just brilliantly done. But also I needed him to help with this baby he didn't. Teenage girls are taking over Travis. Honestly another flop moment for me, but I get it. Like Travis decides the best thing to do is to grab a giant, creepy skull don't know when I came from some kind of treat creepy animals and commit a blood sacrifice. She's fully on team Lotty at this point. Shauna freaks the fuck out understandably, and it does as we will come see basically zero to materially help her labor a big zero Big Zero also probably very deeply. This seems like a Lotty and Travis like key memory here because she's like the wilderness recognizes your sacrifice and so do I and everyone's just looking at them like what is wrong with you? Back in the future, Lotti is not doing too well and I'm very I will ask you about this. Actually, Yeah, so we see her at the therapist, Yeah, who replaced her original therapist who's been treating her for years, and she starts talking about how she's worried that she's never been sick, and actually she's been right, and the wilderness is now sending the survivors back to her, the power of that place. The therapist really doesn't seem to be questioning any of this. Do you think there's some kind of like nefarious I was a big fan of this therapist at the beginning, who wanted to kind of encourage Lotty to see the vision through and understand them and not repress them. But when she was talking about this, I was very interested in whether the therapist had a vested interest in my believing.
Speaker 1: That I feel the same way. And I'm also after you know, what we see in this episode, which we're going to discuss soon, and what we've seen in other episodes. I'm also of I don't know how much to trust, Like is this therapist even real?
Speaker 3: Like you know, like how much of this is.
Speaker 1: Accurate to what we're being presented, because I don't know if that's even Is she talking to herself, is she talking to a real person?
Speaker 3: Is this happening in reality? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I agree, it feels weird. We're in distinct unreliable narrative territory, and so it's really interesting because she basically just does this speel where she's like, I believe that the god of the place, the wilderness, it was real, the power was real, and I think other people felt it, and that is why they're coming back. And classic weird Misty moment we get here at camp Goompime where she basically realizes she's like a celebrity because she knows Lottie and Natalie, so she's loving it. How sociopathic tendencies are coming out Kelly and Shawna. They head to the cop shop to chat to Kevin and Detective Sarahcuse I would have said no, would have got a lawyer. Yes, they're feeling.
Speaker 3: Never talk to the police without your lawyer, but honestly, I get it. I can't get it.
Speaker 2: And they're feeling exceedingly smug about the situation there and the two detectives, especially Sarahcusa, who are what a punctuable face, while Jeff, in one of another classic Jeff moment, he sits outside the police station just blaring fuck the police.
Speaker 3: Is a very very simple guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love him, really feeling that he wants a bang in tune, and he wants the furniture moving out of the store exactly.
Speaker 3: That's all he wants. Happy, that's it.
Speaker 2: As sean A battles through in the past, Aquila realizes that the placenta has been birthed before the baby was there.
Speaker 3: That seems bad.
Speaker 2: It seems bad, and as we if you join our discord, there's lots of good medical insight in there about what went wrong here, voding very badly for Shana's child. Lotty quickly realizes that things went wrong and actually does something good and goes to Misty and says, look, Katy, yeah, what the fuck is going on here? But you need to come back like you understand this stuff and we need you. While Lotty and her crew creepily pledge allegiance to the wilderness, would rather they didn't do that, but sure, Missy talks Shauna through her labor and she seems to have come back to the present, and after Shauna passes out, we get to meet her son. Very creepy, Lotty was right. She kept calling the baby a heat and all of her loving friends are around her. It's a rare moment of happiness for the survivors in the bleakness of winter. I will also say very reminiscent moment. If you remember, after Jackie passed away in the snow, Shawna had a dream where she woke up and saw everyone looking happy and Jackie was there and all was well. So beware. As Van and Tye kind of snark their way through the morning and the present day, Misty calls Tie and so finally Ty picks up and she's like, oh, by the way, Lotty's got a compound.
Speaker 3: You gotta check it out, you gotta check out.
Speaker 2: She's like weirdos, but the food's delicious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: And because the reunion has to be a holistic one, Ty's like, well, I'm gonna call Shawna. Shawna doesn't pick up because she's in the fucking but Jeff is on the phone and he's like, I'll take it.
Speaker 3: I'll take this one of the funny. Yeah, she's in the bathroom. She you know how she is. She takes a really long and guys like jam.
Speaker 2: And Ty's like, okay, well, guess what. We're all on our way or already at lot is a wellness compound upstate and just thought Shawna should know seems like something she'd want to know, you know. Kevin and Saracuza go for good cop, Bad Cop, the former interviewing Kelli and trying to be kind and say I know your mom, and the latter trying to get Shanna to break Melanie Lynsky. Melanie Lynsky's at a high level as she either finally kind of breaks or plays saracuse A beautifully. I actually think it's the former on a couple of watches, telling him she never wanted to be a mom, she never wanted to be married, and that she did have an affair.
Speaker 3: I believe this worked, but it really looks like it's going Julie looks like.
Speaker 2: It's gonna work, and she and then at the end she's like, I did have an affair, actually, and she should have remembered Misty's cookie rule, which was basically shut the fuck up and asked for a lawyer, because that will come back to buy her. In the other room, Kelly is.
Speaker 3: Doing very well well. Cally is.
Speaker 1: She's an impression, absolutely emerging here, like a Lebron Jeames type performance coming out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: We've been really hard on.
Speaker 2: Kelly this season. She's coming through. He's coming through, and she says to Kevin, She's like, you know what, maybe Sarahcusa slept with me to get this information that he wanted. Who's who are they gonna believe?
Speaker 3: Yeah, who's Who's to say he didn't?
Speaker 2: Who's to say he didn't? I mean, and where's the line between what he did do and what what I'm saying he did? You know what, As we've said many times, I just want to say again, feels like she wouldn't even need to do that because of the way he got this information. But you know what, just to be sure. It's really great because like Jeff and Seanna are having this huge kind of blow up in the car where Jeff's like, you're losing it. You're gonna fucking blow our lives up. I feel it. The chaos is coming. Jason was right on X ray vision. You want to just blow up your whole life? Yes, And Kelly gets into the car and she's like, Mom, I did exactly what you said and it went great.
Speaker 1: I love when toxicity and the covering up of crimes brings a family together.
Speaker 2: It's so hot arming, it's so hot arming, and you know, guess what, Jeff's like, you need to leave because you're a fucking liability.
Speaker 3: And it's really lucky.
Speaker 2: All your friends they're going see Lotti. No, she's not in a mental institute anymore. She actually runs this really creepy wellness place called Camp Green Pine, and everyone's there.
Speaker 3: So let me tell you, it's gonna give you nostalgic vibes.
Speaker 2: It's gonna make you feel you're in the wilderness yet, which is just what you want. Speaking of the wilderness, we get this great Sophie Nillies, who plays young Shauna, just absolutely delivers this episode. We get these early days of motherhood where Shauna struggles to bomb with her baby. He won't latch, she won't breastfeeds heartbreaking and the crying is driving everybody crazy.
Speaker 3: Baby wanted to milk.
Speaker 2: Baby wanted a milk, And you don't want to be in that cabin. You're already trying to survive the harsh winter and you hear a baby crying all the time.
Speaker 1: Nobody wants to and not to mention, but they're starving. You know, they haven't been eating a lot of people, and so there just isn't Her body's just.
Speaker 2: Milk and you know it's been going badly for Shauna, but it gets worse when Lottie takes him out of the crib in the middle of the night and tries to breastfeed him and Seana is like, absolutely not. It's very ominous. And after that the next day, Seanna finally gets him to latch, after espousing how she just loves him and she never thought she wanted to be a mum, but she can just can't wait for all the things he's gonna do and it's going to be so brilliant, and he latches and she breastfeeds him and as she promises her son, like I love you so much, you'll definitely be teering up. It's such a good moment, and there's this great hope, and Natalie comes in and she's like, oh my god, he's breastfeeding and Seawanna's like, just let me do this by myself, like I need it. I need this moment. But as you know, good things don't really last long in the world Yellow Jackets, so prepare yourself. Van and Tire kind of having this funny argument outside Camp Green Pine and Van's like, I'm definitely not going in there, which is very interesting. Seeing us how she reacts when she inevitably sees Lottie and they see Shawanna just roll up. I don't know how close that police station was, but Shawna is there and she is driving that red mini van into the camp. So Van's like, fuck it, I'm going in. We're all here. It's happening. It's a Yellow Jacket's wilderness reunion. The adult women gather by the lake. While Van claims that she was planning to leave immediately, all of that changes because when she sees Lotty and Lauren Ambrose sells this shit so hard. She is just like entranced, Like Lotty turns around and Van's whole face just drops.
Speaker 1: It was really and the shot perfectly framed against like the woods, really good.
Speaker 3: It is good.
Speaker 2: I want to know what it means, like I need to know. As the camera kind of pans up and we get to see the whole compound, we see that the women are, of course standing in a giant version of the creepy symbol from the forest. It seems like an ominous enough ending and it cuts to black and I know that a bud of mine, and I'm sure he was not the only one actually thought it was the end of the episode because you get that big cliffhanger moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, Seuna wakes up, her baby is gone in the past. The beautiful, tweaky, horrible crib that was made for them is empty, and she enters the main living space of the cabin to find the that many viewers foresaw, including us. We wondered if it was going to happen, and the girls are feasting on the baby.
Speaker 3: I this was horrific, but I also knew it wasn't real. Things. Yeah, they shot it in a certain way that you and.
Speaker 2: There were people involved in it like Natalie who I feel like there were moments where you knew and it is horrible. It's gruesome. It's gory. I'm sure we got a lot of yells out of people. I would have loved to have some funny reaction cams to that. But when Shauna wakes up from the dream, we realized that she has not none of what we saw was true. She has been in the same position in labor that we've seen her before she passed out. She's laid out there, she's tired, she's sweaty, and instead of the smiling faces that she sees when we saw her wake up the first time. She sees that her friends are heartbroken because, as Ty and Misty tell her, the baby didn't survive.
Speaker 3: Heartbreaking.
Speaker 2: It is one of the most farmer endings of like any Presti show I've seen in a long time, and Sophie Ely sells it so hard where she cries and she says, why can't you hear him crying? And she just looks straight at the camera as they do a sidewipe and the screen cuts to black. It is like, I didn't want to rewatch it because it's so moving.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you this crazy theory for a crazy show, a crazy show, mysterious figure, a mysterious person, Shawna's ghost son.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would love to see it, I think, I mean, why not? I like this. He's alive and he's the he's the oldness, that kind of limbo space. I could definitely see that. I could also that would give you a very unique take on the final destination type situation. I also want to know who is Harvey's friend who looked after him in the forest. I think that could be an antler queen. I paused Episode five so many times when I was writing a piece five G because there is a moment in Natalie's vision where you see that ant the Queen take the chainmail off. I haven't been able to see who it was, but I did think it looked kind of like Natalie, that kind of idea that it's all in them. But yeah, I love that idea that it could be the spirit of Seana's baby, though. I do think in the interview at IGN the showrun has talked quite extensibly about just wanting that to be like a moment of realism, because really, let's be real, they were never going to be able to birth that baby in a safe way in that cabin Aquila, God bless her. She was literally like stroking a mouse while delivering the baby, like it was going to go badly. There was not a cleanliness or sense of you know, urgency there. So I don't know, but I want to know. I want to know what's going to happen because how much longer? Right? Is this like a Twin Peaks type situation where they're going to be forced to give some kind of answer in a second season to keep people watching, or are we going to be like five seasons in like loss.
Speaker 1: I think you have to listen. We're in the middle of a writer's strike. To take us out of the fictional world for a minute.
Speaker 2: Yellow Jackets did just go on strike after their first day writing season three.
Speaker 1: Nothing is promised in this world? Is there an even an official pickup for season three?
Speaker 2: That had been official pickup and they just started working on the first they'd literally worked on like a morning before they went on strike.
Speaker 1: I think you gotta start bringing the plane down to a landing level, not all the way to ground level, but like within sight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the little wheels are coming out.
Speaker 1: Because or I guess you could just leave it, leave it mysterious if if the real world and the strike and other things continue to intrude on the ability to tell the story. But it feels like we got to.
Speaker 3: We gotta come away from this season understanding what the f is going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, a little bit more of the threat or the and even if that turns out to be a red herring, we at least want a little bit of that us.
Speaker 3: Yes, up next, more Yellow Jackets in the nerd out.
Speaker 2: In Today's not out, where you tell us what you love them, why, or a theory you're excited to share Chauncey shares a Yellow Jacket's theory very relevant.
Speaker 1: Chauncey talise right. Nat revealed she had a vision and that there is a darkness inside all of them internally. This is true and perhaps might manifest itself externally. My theory is that they all discovered the only way to rid themselves of it, the darkness, is to become a team again. They are all varying levels of miserable part and their full power can only be realized when they're together. I believe that this is true, whether what exactly how it mechanism is, I completely.
Speaker 2: Agree, and I think that that ties in very well to what we saw in episode six where for the first time they're all back together get together. I'm a campy person, so I would really love if it meant like they had to play like a football game together against evil, But I don't think that's what it's going to be. But I do think this idea of the team coherence and the coming together and actually choosing to be a group again and finding that community is going to be integral to defeating whatever they brought back with them. Thanks Chauncey. If you have theories or passions you want to share, hit us up x Ray at cricket dot com instructions in the show notes.
Speaker 3: That's it for us, Rosie, any plugs, I'm.
Speaker 2: Plugging the WGA, I'm doing it. We're talking about TV baby, look at that WJA. Captain. Support those writers, share their posts. If you can't make it out to the strike pickets, then share the posts on social media. Support the Entertainment Community Fund, which we will link to in the show notes. And yeah, just spread the word. My friend Taniko made some really cool digital signs that you can make to share on your social media. There's all kinds of great ways. And if you are in New York or LA, think about showing up to a picket or sending some food, sending some supplies. It's a good way in your time.
Speaker 3: That's wonderful.
Speaker 1: Catch the next episode on Friday, May twelfth, which will be a mailbag episode. So mail your questions to x rayat crockad dot com. We'd love to hear from you, or you can tweet to at xrvpods. Let us know what's on your mind. We can't wait to talk to you and answer those questions that we get. Can't wait to record that upisode.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be so much fun. We love a good mailbag, and remember us. Subscribe on YouTube, where you can watch full episodes of the show. Sometimes we are here in our fancy studio and sometimes we are on Zoom with loads of cool stuff behind us. Check out our discord to meet with tons of cool, amazing fans and hang out. We talk about all kinds of stuff. In that there was some really great Yellowjackets conversation, kind of understanding what probably happened with Shanna and the baby. Just really insightful, good stuff.
Speaker 3: Five star ratings, five star reviews. FI we need them.
Speaker 1: We gotta have them, You gotta give them to us. Here's one from Jeff Ashy ten ten no no. X ray Vision is recurring bright spot in my week. Jason and Rosi have amazing chemistry and their show movie recaps have me laughing throughout. I almost enjoy the recap more than the content being recapped.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: X ray Vision is a Crooked Media production. The show is produced by Chris Lord and Saul Rubin and executive produced by.
Speaker 3: Me Jason Concepcion. Our editing its sound design is by Hysillis Ptopoulos. Video production by Delon Villanueva and Rachel Gaieski.
Speaker 1: Social Media by Awa Oklati and Caroline Dunfie.
Speaker 3: Thank you to Brian Basquez for our theme today, See you next time.