Speaker 1: Warning warning.
Speaker 2: Today's episode making day spoilers for multiple live action anime adaptations, so beware. Plus, after our chat, I'll be interviewing award winning horror and comics author Stephen Graham Jones. Hello, my name is Rosie Knight, and welcome back to X ray Vision, the podcast where we dive peek into your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. We're coming to you from iHeart Podcast, where we'll be bringing you three episodes.
Speaker 1: A week, and it's on Saturdays.
Speaker 2: In today's episode, I am joined by Carmen and Ian to discuss something I'm always trying to talk about, which is anime and in this case, the conundrum of live action anime adaptations.
Speaker 1: Ian in common, welcome in. How are you doing today?
Speaker 2: So good?
Speaker 3: I've got my my wig on, I've got my anime girl makeup on.
Speaker 1: You wearing a little sailor moon wearing outfit out.
Speaker 3: I'm ready to do a transformation.
Speaker 4: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: I am all. I mean I'm also wearing a ginger Eto sweater, so I guess we realize apparently case, I've.
Speaker 3: Been wanting to say, that is a very cute swettter you have on.
Speaker 2: Thank you this is this is actually a junge Eto drop Dead, which is like an emo band lead singer. So it's even sillier, even sillier and more emo than a junge Eto is usually. Okay, let's jump in, guys Ian, I want to start with you, what is your first memory of watching an anime? And then what was the first live action anime remake that you saw?
Speaker 4: Okay, so, I think mine is going to be similar for a lot of young American men who are of a certain age. It's got dragon Ball Z was the first for me on Twnami Classic, you know, weekday afternoons after school. I would run home and put it on. So that was, like, I think, really one of my first exposures to anime. And you know, I remember watching the series all the way through and couldn't wait to get home to see the next episode. It's like, oh, gohans still charging up this Okay? Cool? And then the first live action remake that I can think of, I think it might be that also, Dragon Ball Z. That that first live action movie they.
Speaker 2: Did, Cursed dragon ball I'm sorry, man, I'm sorry. Yeah, guessing that did not give you a great feeling around the nature of possibility. Of anime beautiful boy common how about you.
Speaker 3: You know it's funny I brings up Dragon Ball Z because I was on the opposite end of us spectrum tunami. Famously, if you made it home from school early enough, you could catch Sailor Moon. And if I was late if.
Speaker 4: School memories of Moon too.
Speaker 3: Yes, if the school bus was running late that day, though, I had to watch Dragon Ball Z, and I remember being pissed because I hated Dragon Ball Z and I loved Sailor Moon. And now as an adult, I have I have expanded my palette. I also have come to love Dragon Ball and dragon Ball Z. But Sailor Moon and Pokemon were probably my first experiences with anime.
Speaker 2: What's the first live action anime you have adaptation that you Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay, so I have seen the dragon Ball Z live action adaptation. It wasn't the first one that I saw. I think the first one that I saw was either it has to have either been the Death Note or the Sailor Moon live action adaptations, and they were around the same time, so I can't remember from Japan.
Speaker 1: From Japan and those are I have to say, we'll give.
Speaker 2: You hope, Yes, they will give you her an anime adaptation, and I think that's going to be a really interesting thing to talk about today because a lot of us did grow up. I am, you know, I slightly let's say, I'm slightly older than both of you, so my my how to watch anime was a little different. My family also did not have cable. I did have a VHS copy of A Kira, so that was definitely you know, I was blessed by being introduced into a classic, truly, the unbelievably sacred text and obviously blew my mind. I think the first live action anime adaptation that I saw out at least and remember really watching was a I really wanted to see Tony. They had made all these Tony adaptations. She is a beautiful, mysterious woman who every time she shows up mango crazy and people get killed. She was a school student who was you know, betrayed by her friends. It's a junge Eto classic and I'd read all the books and again, that will give you hope if you have a certain kind of taste, and I think that is what we need to get into next. So ian to you, what do you want from a great live action anime remake like what would make that work for you? Have you seen one before that kind of does capture the magic?
Speaker 1: What are you looking for in it?
Speaker 4: For me? I think above all is faithfulness to the source material. You know, there you can tweak things and update things and moderniz things, because I know a lot of certain animes are from you know, the nineties or early two thousands, so especially if you're going to make something in today's modern age, you know, of course you're going to make changes. But I think being faithful to the source material is first for me. And then you know, I think also you want to see some of these fantastical elements or powers or characters or settings brought to life in a real and compelling way. So I think, you know, not cheaping out on some of the special effects or the production design, you like, really putting money into it to make it look like it's real. So I think those are the kind of the two top tier things. And then obviously you want good acting. You want to hire people who are going to do good casting. So I think those are kind of like the three pillars, you know, putting enough money into the budget for production wise to make sure it looks as good as it can faithfulenss and the source material, and then you got to nail the casting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: Common What did the live action anime that you saw and that you loved, What did they make you look for when you were kind of expanding out to other live action adaptations of these Japanese animed shows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm I'm looking for a creative interpretation of the source material. Of course, I want it to be faithful to the source material, as Ian said, But I do think you know, when animation has animation of course as a medium that you can do a lot with that you can't do with the live action for sure. But how is the live action going to overcome that? And I hope that it does that in a way that is creative, that doesn't take me too much out of the experience of watching it, you know, and like we said that, you know, pay.
Speaker 5: Good for the visual effects.
Speaker 3: I also think we'll talk to we'll talk more in a little bit about where it kind of goes wrong. But that also creative interpretations of character design also, I think are going to be important as well. We have to say, like a lot of the anime characters are so some of their character designs are super unrealistic and very hard to pull off for a live action format.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, and also kind of touching on what you said earlier, Ian like, some of them are like racist and they play into racist character tropes and stuff. And so one of the anime adaptations, the rare good American adaptations that I know we will touch on and I'm going to just bring up here is one piece which did reimagine a lot of those really problematic things and kind of bring a new element in new aspect to it, which doesn't often happen. So something I'm going to bring up now before we talk about where some of these don't work is I think the biggest issue here is a storytelling challenge and a difference in production design culture, because, for example, I am a big lover of many Japanese anime adaptations, but if you watch them, for example, you know some of the really fun ones that I've written about over the years, like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Diamond is Unbreakable. The wigs are crazy, the costumes are looking kind of cheap, but it captures the bizarreness of what you want from the story. It feels real, and so I think that for a long time through the zeros and the nineties, we were getting more of those Japanese style like crazy wig silly costumes, like a lot of the early Japanese Death Note movies fall into that, even though they are guys really great with incredible storytelling, so that for me, the production quality can be low if the creativity and feel of the comic is captured. But I will say we are entering a new era now because Netflix is not only running obviously, like the one piece of adaptation is pretty much seen so far as our best American anime adaptation, and I think that can be a great way to lead into guys, what are some of the worst, which we'll touch on next. But something that Netflix is doing is they are now adapting Korean web tunes mana manga, and they are and they're licensing incredible, high quality adaptations from Japan. So things like Alice in Borderline, that was Alice in Bordland. That's an incredible show, great production value, super scary, and that is an adaptation of a comic book of for manga, there is the Korean web series that was adapted into hell Bound, which is one of the scariest horror ca dramas that we've had for years, so we're in a new era of it. And I think this kind of idea of Dragonball Evolution and then you know Tony or the Nana Action nineties anime adaptation or Zero's those kind of have a corniness that to us is nostalgic. Same with Common I own some of the Saloon ones, but I do think we're now in an era where these could be truly becoming masterpieces and starting to get a little bit more of an understanding that like around the world, K drama, JA drama, a lot of them have always been drawing from comic books, you know.
Speaker 1: So so let's talk a little bit about some.
Speaker 2: Of the worst of the worst that we all know and despise and have talked about many times. Ian just list off a few of the anime adaptations from America that have not worked, and then we can talk about the reasons we think that is.
Speaker 4: Sure, Bill, we already touched on it. The Dragonball Evolution movie not great. Ghost in the Shell with scar Joe not great.
Speaker 2: She could even play a tree, guys, she could play anything.
Speaker 4: Believe in that Avatar the Last Airbender. Some might say, maybe that's not quite anime.
Speaker 2: But controversial because it's not technically an anime. But I do think it falls into all the exact same problems.
Speaker 1: So I think you believe it is.
Speaker 4: Both the movie and and the Netflix series have issues You Hockey Show Netflix adaptation, and that's and oh yes, that one was painful for me because you U Hockey Show is my favorite anime of all time and that.
Speaker 2: Is a that's a that's a Japanese adaptation too, right, It's still so still felt what did they miss?
Speaker 4: They condensed the plot so much into like four or five episodes, and they just didn't give it enough time to breathe because there's so many episodes in the like some of the arcs are really long, and they can they condensed it down to the point where they're cutting out huge chunks of the story, huge chunks of the character development, character moments. So it's like, if we're gonna do it that way, it's like almost not worth doing because I could just watch the original and get the full story, you know.
Speaker 2: Is it additive? I think that's a really great point. Common you know what, what was some of those real stinkers that made you think, oh, people shouldn't be doing this.
Speaker 3: I mean, of course, the very first one that I ever saw was that Dragon Ball Z the Evolution. But I'm going to take it all the way back to remember speed Racer. That's probably one of the very first bad live action American animal Well, I.
Speaker 2: Just need to say, guys, this is I want to warn comment of this. This is a controversial topic. It has over the years. It has garnered a cult following. But I will say I am definitely on the side of you. Is not my favorite Wachowski Brothers. It's not my favorite Sisters movie, and it is not something that I connect to in the way that so many do.
Speaker 1: But watch out common that could be.
Speaker 2: A sorry sorry, yeah, no no, But I think it's interesting because before we jump to an ad break quickly and then come back with some of the ones we love. I'm going to say I think one of the biggest issues there is a cultural misunderstanding of what the stories are about. It's not you know, obviously all of these have issues with whitewashing, right, and that's a lot of times is the biggest issue. Dragon Ball Evolution and stuff like that. Shell They often try to use this idea of internationalizing a cost by widening the cost.
Speaker 1: But also the.
Speaker 2: Reason Ghost in the Shell sucks when America makes it is because Ghost in the Shell is a very specific Japanese story about the way that technology becomes the center of your universe after you are essentially, you know, stonewalled out of the international global conflicts after World War Two, Like you can't make that if you won World War two. And it's just like this is the coolest step. So I think, really like there's everything can kind of be put back to that. But yeah, I'm really excited to come back and talk about some that we love. So let's go to an ad break and then we'll come back and I'll be asking mean Common about that fave anime adaptations. Yeah, we're back, Common, Why don't you guess started, what's your fave live action adaptation that you would recommend to somebody who maybe hasn't even watched a lot of anime. What's just a great movie? Yeah, or great TV show? So you know, going back to Ian we talked about it before. Netflix is kind of leading the pack here they in terms of production design. Now because of that production design, I think that again we only see like maybe six eight episodes tops usually of a series, but one that I really loved on Netflix, and I'm really glad that we have the opportunity to talk about this.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: It's me to Parasite, and I'm not sure if you watched the Japanese anime. This is a Korean live action, not a remake, but it's actually a continuation of the story, which I find even cooler about about it. And I think that's another area where these remakes or whatever can do better is maybe just continuing the story. So this is exactly this is what happens in the Parasite the Gray story. But if it happened, well, what did happen in Korea? And so the Parasite series, it's an anime where there's like this alien invasion that takes over people's brains. There's this one guy who gets the parasite that doesn't go to his brain successfully, it goes to his hand and it talks to him and it becomes like a companion. Well there's somebody else in Korea. The same thing has happened in Seoul, Korea, and so it's very I'm not going to spoil anything, but you know, because this two stories continued, they have a way that they could possibly converge in the future. So I think it's really cool. This is a really cool example of live action anime going well, because you've got the anime, which is really great, and then you've got the live action which is really great, and then they kind of compliment each other and they could possibly end up continuing the story together.
Speaker 5: So nice.
Speaker 1: That's really fun.
Speaker 2: Ian, what's one that you've watched that's blown you away and made you think, hey, maybe there's more of these that are worth kind of telling.
Speaker 4: So this one's gonna be. It's a more recent example, and I think it's for someone who maybe is not super into anime or isn't super well versed. I think this is a good like entry point, like low bar of entry, really easy way to get into it. Detective Pikachu, I think was very successful and they did a very good job. You know, obviously, Ryan Reynolds is very charismatic and everybody loves him. But I also think the way they designed all the Pokemon and integrated them in the integrated them into, you know, the real world, and just the embodiment of the kinds of stories that Pokemon games and even the animated series try to tell. I think that it was just a very successful adaptation. It's obviously geared towards kids, but it's as an adult. I still really enjoyed it.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was three times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've watched it multiple times, and I think they just did a really good job of embodying kind of the essence of Pokemon. They nailed the character designs. I feel like it was faithful to what we all know and understand Pokemon to be. And I think they nailed the casting. So I think that was just a great example of and they didn't try to do too much. It's a pretty simple story, yeah, and they nailed it. So I think that's a great example of one that did work. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would also say, so I'm going to basically just like be a nerd and be like, did you know this was.
Speaker 1: Based on a manger or you know, because there's so many great recommendations.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean, Aaron and Aboo both popping some really good ones in here. Elite a Battle Angel, there was an unbeloved Anime OVA adaptation, and for a lot of people, the Robert Rodriguez version also very interestingly a version that adapted the comic very faithfully because the comic is actually set in an international kind of slum land underneath a sky city. So there they did a really interesting job of who they cast and who they didn't cast. I am not the hugest fan of the movie, but it is so beloved and I love that people love it. That's a great one. I love Edge of Tomorrow. We will be getting a new will be So it's based on a light novel that was turned into a manga at some point was adapt an anime and now there is Yeah, there is Kill. It was originally called Kill. I think it's Kill Die Repeat, and that is actually now being adapted as in another manga which looks gorgeous.
Speaker 1: All you Need is Kill, Thank you Yes, And that is really great.
Speaker 2: One of my favorites that I really adore that I always recommend to people is Battle Reale, iconic Japanese movie by Kiinjin Kinji Fukusawa, one of my favorite directors, was a huge influence on me. It came out in two thousand based on a manga that was based on a book, and there is anime episodes about Orel too that you can watch, and basically it's about kids who are put on an island and have to fight each other to solve Japan's issues with overpopulation and TEENAGEU and juvenile teenage culture. It's very cool, very dystopian, extremely influential and just beautifully shot. Still one of my old time favorite movies. But yeah, I mean there's so many guys. Lady Snowblood, do you love that movie?
Speaker 1: Guess What? Based on a comic.
Speaker 2: Old Boy based on a manga, and that manger of Old Boy is just unbelievable. It's so beautiful attack on Titan live action movie. I know loads of people who really really enjoyed it. It's again, it's a bit more of that old school, a little bit crazy kind of looking. But yeah, there are so many I'm so excited for this. Guys, are there any anime that you're watching right now, can be old or new that you would just love to recommend.
Speaker 1: People before we wrap up?
Speaker 2: Hmm, Cormon could be a good time for a little Nana love, because you did spark off a lot of people in the chat with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was trying to think if there was anything other than Nana, But yeah, I definitely have been going back to watch Nana. I have always enjoyed the aesthetic of Nana as a Favian West with lover. But now that it is in its twentieth anniversary, I have gone back and started watching the anime on Hulu. I believe you can stream it, so check it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah nice, Yeah, it's great. It's about great rosy ways.
Speaker 3: Girls who meet each other on the train and one is punk rock and one is like all kind of like Lolita, kind of like dainty style, and they're both named Nana, so.
Speaker 1: They are and we love them Ian, how about you.
Speaker 4: I'm currently in the middle of my annual you hockey show Rewatch. I know I already mentioned it earlier, but it is. It is my favorite, and I'm just in the middle of the rewatch right now. I'm the chapter Black Saga, so I'm loving it and yeah, it's I just wish they could nail that in live action, but I understand why it's difficult because some of some of the things we mentioned, like some of the character designs are insane, and it's like, I don't know how you do that in live action.
Speaker 1: Yeah, without it looking exactly crazy. So yeah, one day we'll get there. I love that one we will.
Speaker 2: Aboo is sad that nobody mentioned my hero Academia. The final season obviously huge, huge release going on right now.
Speaker 1: I am currently.
Speaker 2: Doing a lot of work on a lot of best of most anticipated lists, so I have been watching really great animated came out this year, like Sakamoto Days and The Apocryphy Diaries, which I love. Can't wait for the new season of that delicious in Dungeon. Guess what, guys, you don't even I love Crunchy Role. I have a Crunchy Roll account and yes, Aaron I too want to do in Dungeon live action show. I also want a Sakamoto Days live action show that is a cheap jay drama. Guys, you can make that so easily in a seven eleven set.
Speaker 3: I just thought of a really good one that they have done, which is the Diary of a house Husband or Life of a house I don't know why that came to me in the very last minute, but check that out, you know.
Speaker 2: Super fun Vignette manga an anime series about execuser who is now a house husband and the kind of shenanigans he gets up.
Speaker 1: To a stage. It's super fun series where they have live action is really good. Yeah, and it's even easy to watch on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Listeners, please let us know in the discord what anime adaptations you want to find in your stocking this year and what your faves are.
Speaker 1: So yes, join us.
Speaker 2: Thank you Carmen and Ian for going through the perils of doing live action adaptations of anime. And up next my interview with one of my favorite authors, Stephen Graham Jones. Steven, thank you so much for joining us on Extra Vision this morning.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you being here.
Speaker 5: Grilled to be here, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a huge, huge fan of your work and we've gotten to talk before at places like Noticed about your love of comics, and could you talk a little bit about how you went from being somebody who loved reading and loved writing and loved comics to somebody who actually creates all of those things and is also a teacher.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I never planned to be a writer. I was just going to be a farmer and drive tractor. So it's really completely random, and I ended up doing all this stuff I'm doing. It still feels still feels weird, like like I fell asleep and this is all a dream, you know, And I still feel like I should be just like I should be driving tractor.
Speaker 5: But really what driving tractor.
Speaker 7: Was for me was just being on attractor for sixteen hours and telling lies and having fun. And that's really what I'm doing still, you know. So it's just the rose I'm flowing across the page these days.
Speaker 5: But as for how I.
Speaker 7: Went, how I made that transition, it's just a series of ridiculous, stupid accidents, you know. It's nothing intentional on my part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's always the way I think that people don't realize is so much of being somebody who tells stories and gets to be creative is luck to some points, because it's about how do you fall into it?
Speaker 1: Do you meet?
Speaker 2: I am a huge fan of all of your writing, but I would love to know a little bit about kind of when in your process it felt like horror and genre was really going to be the space that you were kind of most interested in exploring.
Speaker 7: When I went to grad school from undergrad, I didn't know what grad school was. My professors had explained it to me, and I finally decided, Okay, I'll go to grad school if I want me to go so bad. But I may have promised myself that I will only go if I'm there in ninja mode, like I want to sneak in and steal all the craft I can and smuggle it back out to Western fantasy, horror, science fiction, all the genre stuff that that I loved. Then I got into grad school, you know, master's and PhD, and of course I fell in love with all the stuff they were teaching me there, you know. And so I feel like I I didn't lose my way. I don't think you ever really, I don't think you ever really lose your way as a writer. I just went down some different roads for a while, you know.
Speaker 5: And my my.
Speaker 7: Very first the first novel I wrote, I wrote it in ninety let's see, I wrote it ninety eight, came out in two thousand, and it's not I mean, I guess it gets like by default considered literary, but it's really just like a big cartoon, you know.
Speaker 5: It's got all these.
Speaker 7: These it's just it's it's not remotely adhering to like the tenets of realism anyways.
Speaker 5: And but it's not it's.
Speaker 7: Not horror either, and it's like and it's not staying within a single lane of genre. But after I wrote that novel, I like had this like wake up moment, and I realized, oh wait, I'm al was supposed to be in ninja mode all these years. I'm supposed to be doing and genre stuff. And so the next novel, the next novel I wrote right after finishing The fast Red Road, I wrote this in ninety nine, was the novel that would become Demon Theory, my first horror novel. It wouldn't come out, it wouldn't come out into six, but it was the second novel I ever wrote. Then the third novel I ever wrote, no Rest for the Wicked, was a vampire novel. The fourth novel was a werewolf novel. What was it called blood Lines? I think it was called Bloodlines. And so the first thing I mean of the first like four novels I wrote, three of them were horror, you know. Two of them weren't good enough to ever get published, I don't think, but one of them did finally fund the bookshelf, but yes. And then the next novel I did after The fast Red Road would be probably All the Beautiful Centers, which is a thriller. So it's still genre, but it's not science fiction and fantasy horror. It's adhering to you know, crime, thriller, that kind of stuff. Then the next one has a serial killer book, The Bird Is Gone, which is also an alternate history book. And then the next one, Bleeding to Me is not horror, but it's got a lot of horror in it, a lot of horror story what I consider horror stories. The first story in the collection it's called Halloween. And and then then demon Theory came out, and I'm then, well, you know what happened was for the first like probably three books I did, I do book events and like book clubs, bookstores, universities, just auditoriums with people, and the questions I kept getting they kind of whispered to me that people were using these books as lenses to focus upon a culture or a set of issues. They were they were they were asking me indian questions like oh, well, you know, what do you think about politics of identity, representation, mascots, all this stuff. And and I don't like my books to do these like that. I mean, if people want to read it like that, that's great, but they don't, they don't talk to me about it.
Speaker 1: That's the book club and yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I'm and and and I thought, well, you know this sucks. This is not what I got in this game for. So what I did was, I said, I'm going to run off into the horror fields and play in those fields, and y'all can follow me with those questions if you want and see if they're still pertinent.
Speaker 5: And so I did that. I ran off.
Speaker 7: I was writing slashers, zombies, werewolves, everything, having a blast. But I was also I still have the impulses to do the weird stuff that I don't know what you call it. I guess it gets called literary. But and so I was like two writers for about a decade on two different tracks, and that was hard to maintain, like just artistically.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: And then in twenty sixteen, I was able to cobble together randomly Mongrels, my werewolf novel, and Mongrels has a delivery system that is in keeping with like the literary side or track of the two writers I was being, whereas it was using the creatures from the horror that I love. And so I feel with Mongrels, I was able to like sew myself back together into a single writer. And I've been a single writer since then.
Speaker 2: It's been a nice does it feel like as you know Stephen Graham Jones post twenty twenty, when people are discovering you through the Any Good Indians and you know I was a teenage slasher and obviously the Jay Daniels books and stuff. What does it feel like to now have them going back and reading, you know, Night of the Mannequins and the smaller stuff that's being republished now.
Speaker 7: Oh, I mean it's it's hopefully. I mean, I guess it's scary number one, because I wonder, I mean, I guess I wonder two things. I wonder did I mess up in some of those books? But what I really wonder is have I lost the muscles I used to have in those books, you know, like like like Long Trial and Known Dagatti or Not for Nothing or Flashboy. I don't have those muscles anymore, I don't think, And I wish I did along for being able to write like that, Like I'll never write The Birds Gone again. I'll never write anything close to the Bird Is Gone. And I wish I could. I had a different way of moving from sentence to sentence back then. I had a different way of processing through a story, and I missed that so intensely. And I mean that's part of being a writer. You change every time you put pen to page. You're a different writer. And so it's scary to me that people go back and they say, oh, he used to be able to do this, and now you can't do that.
Speaker 1: You know, how dare they? Isn't that the scary thing?
Speaker 2: You're like, I've been putting out this body of work for ten years, how dare you go back and read it.
Speaker 1: And compare it? What do you mean?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: But you know, but also I would I wouldn't trade like for from two thousand until yeah, maybe twenty sixteen or twenty twenty, I wasn't getting a lot of critical tension, not not a big audience, any of that. At the time. I mean, I wanted worse than anything to have a hit because I wanted to pay bills, you know. But from the vantage point i'm at now, I think that that was.
Speaker 5: My education, my real education. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I went through grad school, I went through a lot of writing programs. I've done a lot of.
Speaker 5: You know, a lot of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 7: But my real education was writing these books and for a small audience or no audience, and just figuring figuring out what I could do on the page and what I couldn't do and who I was, and that has allowed me to I feel I have a really like stable foundation for all the stuff I'm doing now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely you can see that from like a mapping the interior to like which they just i know, republished in a really nice copy to you know, I was a teenage slasher, Like you can draw those lines very simply between like the themes and the way you're going. But yeah, I definitely it's a surreal experience, even as me as a journalist or someone who writes comics, to go back and read something I wrote four years ago, let alone you know ten you are. You are also a big comic book lover, and I just love to hear you talk about your favorite comics. So just quickly, before you jump into anything else, what's the first comic you teach when you start teaching comics.
Speaker 7: When I'm doing a big lecture course, and it's not just horror comics, it's not just superhero comics. It's like all it's like all comics for people who don't know comics, you know. So I've got one hundred and fifty people in the classroom. The place I always start is Jim Peter's Secret Wars from nineteen eighty four, because I feel like that's the snowball that crashed onto the world, and that that's the snowball that includes like the Golden Age Superman, Batman stuff, the Silver Age Flash and ec comics. It includes everything. And I feel like if you read Secret Wars the right way, you can understand how the comic book works, how the page works, how the panel works, how gutters work, how balloons work. You can learn all that stuff because they were really competent, but it's also really simple. It's not like it's not like Jeff Lamia or ramv doing really sophisticated, high level stuff that it's going to be hard for a beginner to access, you know. And yeah, so I love starting at Secret Wars. And that was also the first comic So I'm just trying to I'm really trying. I'm really trying to lead them back to this.
Speaker 2: Experience, which isn't that what we can do as comic book glovers.
Speaker 1: Well, I was going to say, would you like.
Speaker 2: To recommend any things, any books or authors that you think people should check out this holiday season?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, I guess talking comic books. Daniel krause is Athadonesia. I thought that was a really brilliant novel, such a such a like a novel concept and novel in the sense of new, but novel in the sense of like it feels like a novel, you know. And and and the art by Danny is just that just blows me away. Her line work and the punctuations of colors is incredible.
Speaker 5: Are just so powerful.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite is right, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's amazing. Yeah.
Speaker 7: And you know, Daniel Krausse, He's just such a good writer period, whether comic books or novels or nonfiction as well. But and I guess I would also recommend, if I'm just going novels, I guess a couple of books from twenty five maybe Victorian Psycho by Virginia. The book was it was so so over the top and fun, just blood on every wall. You know, you can't you can't take a step in that book without track of blood somewhere. And it just came out in October. Adam Johnson's The Wayfinder. It's a big old novel about South Pacific islanders back you know, eight hundred years ago or nine hundred years ago something like that, and it's I mean, it's got a little bit of a Game of Thrones. It feels it really tell you truth. You can map space opera under the wayfinder and it fits really pretty well. But it's setting like this, I don't know, five hundred miles of islands or something. I was really impressed with that note that.
Speaker 2: Was a big one. What are you working on right now? That's making you excited?
Speaker 7: I just know maybe two days ago finished the story. I thought it was going to be I told myself, let's write out a thirty five hundred word story, and now it's like eleven thousand words, which makes it so much more difficult to publish, you know. But right now I'm calling it the Vampire of Parking and it's actually not it's actually not a horror story. But which is It's my first story in a while that's not horror, well, my first like long story.
Speaker 5: This is not horror. I do a lot of flash fiction, Like.
Speaker 7: In the past, like five weeks, I bet I've written twelve fifteen flash fiction stories.
Speaker 5: I just love flash fiction. I'll never be done with flash fiction. It'll never be done with me, I don't think. But and so that stuff is all over.
Speaker 7: Sometimes it's horror, science fiction, literary, comedy, whatever.
Speaker 2: Short story collection coming at some point, flash fiction collection.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think tomorrow on December second, which is probably the past for one of this posts. My States of Grace is coming out from Open Road, which which is a reissue of my flash fiction. It was originally fifty flash fiction pieces. I want to say now it might be seventy because they let me sneak some stuff in.
Speaker 1: It's really cool.
Speaker 2: It doesn't feel nice as it is the want of the writer to constantly put things on the page.
Speaker 1: How does it feel to be in a position.
Speaker 2: Where now when you're putting those things on the page and getting the ideas out, there's someone knocking at your door going like, hey, can we publish that?
Speaker 1: Like does that always feel good? Or some of that?
Speaker 2: Are you like, let me keep it in the back pocket.
Speaker 7: No, No, it does feel good. But also, I mean there's still rejection. People will solicit stuff. They'll say, you know, okay, we want you to write a story for this theme, this issue whatever, And I'll write a story and they'll and I'll send it to them and they'll say.
Speaker 2: Well, and we want you to do it, but not the one you wrote.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly, exactly. So the rejection never stops. But I think that's good too. If I stop getting rejected, then I'll get nervous.
Speaker 2: We need to feel like it's real. Okay, last question, thank you so much for joining me. Is you had the incredible Earth Divers You've been at Marvel and stuff. Is there a character or a story in the sequential kind of storytelling comic book space that you are still dying to tell, whether it's your own or someone else's.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 7: There, I've got so many comic book ideas, the reason and I have a lot of houses like knocking on my door saying, hey, let's do a comic book, But I haven't jumped in with any of them yet because comic books take so much time. To me, they take more time than than novels. Because yeah, I mean, yeah, you can write a script in a few days, that's not an issue. But that that's not where it ends. You know, there's there's there's sketches, there's pencils, there's inks, there's colors, there's letters, and there's adjustments. There's so many adjustments.
Speaker 1: I just.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And it's like and with the trick with writing a monthly title, as you know is you've always got your finger in like five different issues at different stages, and it's hard to keep them separate. And it's it's like comic books will own your life if you let them. And that's good, I think. But at the same time, as.
Speaker 7: You're saying, I am a professor and I do write a lot of novels, and so can I always take on a third this is the question, and sometimes I can.
Speaker 5: Yes, Maybe we.
Speaker 2: Can look forward to more SGG comics in the future.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, oh definitely. I Actually.
Speaker 7: I've actually said maybe to one outfit for a character that I couldn't say no to. You know, I can't announce it yet, but it's a character that I thought I would.
Speaker 1: Get to tell you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: I just I just got mine from DC for the first time, so I totally get that.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see what that is and whenever it's announced. Come back on and talk to us again. It was really great to speak to you.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Stephen for chatting with me, and thank you to Ian and Carmon for popping on talk about Some Good add Some Bad live action anime adaptations. Xtra Vision is hosted by Jasonteps Young and Rosie Night and is a production of iHeart Podcast. Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abusa part.
Speaker 2: Our producer are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay Wack. A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman. Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.